7.4

1. Aug 23, 2013
    It seems the 5 years between Chaos Theory and Conviction had everyone forget what made the series so different than everything else.

"Stealth Action Redefined" was the original subtitle of Splinter Cell. I always thought that the point of a secret agent was that his existence remained as much a secret as possible. In SC:B, it's quite the contrary. The SC fans will likely opt for the

The SC fans will likely opt for the Ghost approach. In SC:B, being a Ghost means you can be seen by the enemy as long as you knock him out within a second. You can knock out as many people as you want, shoot out light bulbs, destroy cameras, you name it. The next morning, nobody will remember a thing and will probably blame the destroyed light bulbs and cameras on a power surge or something.

You'll go on this mission where you must hack some computers, and where, if you're "detected", the enemy will wipe out the data and the mission will be a failure. But apparently, if you knock out the entire base before hacking the servers, it's not suspicious at all and they won't wipe out the data, because, bleh.

And if you remain completely invisible without leaving as much as a drop of sweat, the game rewards you with a lame 11000 points and a few thousand dollars. If you opt for wiping out the whole base, you'll get 20000+ points and even more money. Even shooting light bulbs rewards you with money.

Everything that was challenging in the previous games is now gone.

It's a somewhat fun game, but it's pretty far from what made Splinter Cell "redefine the stealth action" genre. Sadly, I don't think it's ever coming back.
  2. Aug 21, 2013
    Beatlejuice6687
    This review is only for the online multiplayer, which is the only reason I bought it. I wouldn't have paid 60 bucks for a rehash action spy game which looks exactly like Conviction. I really liked Pandora Tomorrow totally new and innovative spies vs mercs. It was a huge step forward in bringing suspense and fun to consoles in it's day. Chaos Theory made great
    Beatlejuice6687

I really liked Pandora Tomorrow totally new and innovative spies vs mercs. It was a huge step forward in bringing suspense and fun to consoles in it's day. Chaos Theory made great improvements to that online play. Spies had to play cautious and sneaky. Although kills could be done, it was a careful move that had to be made. Double Agent went down the wrong path. Remote hacking, the more techno look. It was bad. This one ups(or downs) that one. Dumbest thing ever in SC??? Spy one button insta-kills. Run near a merc from any direction, press a single button, almost faster then a merc can shoot you down and you get a insta kill.

Merc's being considered the hunters are a total joke. Spies are so overpowered in their ability to run from any direction and insta-kill its just a horrible idea from whatever person thought this was good. I am done buying Splinter Cell games. They killed the best multi-player concept with silly and dumb gameplay and managed to do worse then the worst spies vs mercs offering they had put out until now.

It also crashing about every 20 mins with the DX11 client.
  3. Aug 22, 2013
    TLDR: port of Call of Duty meets neutered Sam Fisher. Do not waste your money on this.

Right. If you liked the original trilogy, this game is an insult. If you, like me, bought this on the promise of a return to the "classic" SvM multi-player. You were lied to, like me. There is nothing classic about it. Yet another game killed by the desperate screams from some jackass about "BROADEN THE APPEAL" and "THIS IS WHAT OUR FRAT-PARTY FOCUS GROUP WANTS!" To put it bluntly, even the lackluster DA`s multi-player was better then this.

As for QA? On the PC? From Ubisoft? Its not there. Its no way that any QA department is this incompetent. Failing to deliver a somewhat stable dx11 build of your game, in 2013? Settings? Nope. Key-bindings that you cant change, since then the game wont understand you, for instance, button x have one use in game, and one use when you interact with something, remap it, and you wont be able to use the latter function.

Oh, and just as a final kick in the teeth while we as players and suckers, are down, Ironsides is no longer involved. So yea, you`re not playing as Sam anymore, even if insists that you are. Shame on you, Ubisoft, Shame on you for acting just like good old Jim called out out to be, crummy, sniveling, French morons.
  4. Aug 31, 2013
    What a good game! Lol, I'm just kidding. Another franchise lost forever to the Call of Duty audience. I quit playing when the game BECAME A FIRST PERSON SHOOTER. Why did they do this to such a good franchise? your gay Ubisoft, just make a new IP if you want to make a bad Call of Duty clone, don't shoehorn it into a once strong franchise.
  5. Aug 23, 2013
    I have been a Splinter Cell fan since the first game was released on the PC back in early 2000. Since then I have watched the decline of the franchise, which IMO began in Conviction, not Double Agent like a lot of other fans claimed. I remained optimistic of Blacklist after watching trailers and hearing interviews with the devs claiming they were making the game more stealth-heavy thanI have been a Splinter Cell fan since the first game was released on the PC back in early 2000. Since then I have watched the decline of the franchise, which IMO began in Conviction, not Double Agent like a lot of other fans claimed. I remained optimistic of Blacklist after watching trailers and hearing interviews with the devs claiming they were making the game more stealth-heavy than Conviction.
    Upon purchasing the game, I found it actually wouldn't load. It kept crashing every-time I opened the exe and I later discovered this was fixed with a day one patch with a whopping size of 2GB. Looking through the patch notes, I find it absolutely humiliating on behalf of Ubisoft that they could have released a product with as many game-breaking issues that needed to be fixed with a patch.
    Once I finally got the game to work, I played it for about three hours before switching it off. If you are a fan of Conviction, chances are you will love Blacklist as it is basically more of the same. But for long-time Splinter Cell fans, and perhaps even stealth game fans in general, I would highly suggest you give this one a miss.
    Graphically the game is fine. I see a lot of other reviewers here complaining about low frame rates, but I am running everything on max settings and getting a constant 40fps. Disappointingly though there is no FOV slider. The controls on the other hand are downright terrible. You can tell it was designed with a gamepad in mind, because using a keyboard and mouse is extremely awkward.
    If I had to describe the game in one word, it'd be COD. There are first person sections galore, and you will mow through dozens of enemies at a time without any hint of danger. Compare that to the first four SC games when even a single enemy could kill you within a few seconds if you were spotted. As well as that, you now have 'upgrades' such as a crossbow (I laughed out loud when I saw a crossbow in the game) as well as the redundant ability to change the color of Sam's goggles.
    Instead of hiding in the shadows, the 'stealth' aspect of Blacklist entirely revolves around cover. You will find yourself progressing throughout the level not by moving normally, but by shifting between bits of cover.
    Blacklist brings back the ability to hide bodies, but for seemingly no purpose other than for the hardcore fans that like covering their tracks. Enemies completely ignore bodies and leaving them exposed have absolutely no consequences, making this a completely pointless feature.
    Enemy AI is pathetic. I was frequently spotted when I was well hidden behind cover, and other times enemies would walk straight past me when I was in full view and not even notice me. There are also groups of baddies banded together for specific use of the 'press to win' mark and execute feature.
    But overall, like Conviction, this has just validated my suspicion that the franchise is no longer about playing a fragile character that has to strategically outmaneuver enemies, into the equivalent of a James Bond game that is all about being as action packed and flashy as possible. Calling this a stealth game is almost insulting to games such as Thief and MGS, I would be more inclined to label it a third-person shooter.
    In summary, if you are a Splinter Cell fan, do not buy this. This was a waste of my money and I will be looking to sell this in some way very soon. If you enjoyed Conviction however, this is more of the same and I'm sure you will love Blacklist.
  6. Aug 20, 2013
    I have a brand new gaming computer that runs every game without crashing except this one. I fixed the crashes by switching to DirectX9 because using Directx11 was very unstable. The game is a very poor console port. I am a Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Versus mode fan, and I can tell you that Classic Mode here is a gimmick, it is nothing but a dumbed down version of "SvM Blacklist" (youI have a brand new gaming computer that runs every game without crashing except this one. I fixed the crashes by switching to DirectX9 because using Directx11 was very unstable. The game is a very poor console port. I am a Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Versus mode fan, and I can tell you that Classic Mode here is a gimmick, it is nothing but a dumbed down version of "SvM Blacklist" (you better believe it). The control customization options for the PC user are non-existent. You will find yourself doing things you don't want to do half of the time because the Mercenary controls are merged with the Spy controls which are merged with the Coop controls and Single Player controls. It is a nightmare. The aiming and overall responsiveness of the game is extremely sluggish even with a gaming mouse on high DPI settings. Knifing mercenaries as a spy feels very unrewarding and the spawn points are randomized, and it feels too much like COD or BF3 where you just spawn and die a lot.

Other notes: "back to wall" is now "cover and drop" so sometimes if you wanna take cover you will drop.
    "Sprint" is now "sprint and climb" so a lot of times if you are sprinting near a ledge or a window you will often times accidentally go farther than you want to.
    "Hand to hand combat" (knife as spy) is now also "Knife and hack" so if you ever want to attack a merc standing next to a terminal you may start hacking it and get killed.

THIS IS A TERRIBLE CONSOLE PORT.
  7. Aug 27, 2013
    Splinter of Duty: Blacklist is about as entertaining as smashing your face against a keyboard repeatedly. Incidentally, that's the best way to play Blacklist.
  8. Aug 23, 2013
    In the title it stands "Splinter Cell", although it doesn't feel like Splinter Cell. It feel more like
    Splinter Cell: Conviction vol. 2. The characters are flat and boring without any depth. But, in the defense of Splinter Cell series, the characters had never any real depth in the series. Sam Fisher doesn't feel like Sam Fisher any more. The way he talks and moves is different and not different in good way. He sounds like a guy without any conviction, without any real threat in his voice. He always moves quickly, even when he "sneaks". He climbs fast too, like a spiderman, and it looks kind of ridiculous and very unrealistic, since he is an old man. I felt right from the beginning that it was different from previous Splinter Cell series. More action oriented, which defies the whole idea of what Splinter Cell series is all about. I see this new trend in more games now. I understand why Ubisoft made this approach. They wish too appeal too wider audience, I get that. But on the other hand, they are in danger of alienating fan boys who like this game for the slow sneaking pace. When I play this new Sam Fisher now, I felt like I was playing an inexperienced boy scout playing sneaking and shooting for fun. Not like the bad ass Sam Fisher with his deep voice that gave him character and with his black sense of humor that suited Sam Fisher character perfectly. There are a lot of new options in the game. There is a lot of new gadgets available for purchase. But is it a good thing. It can be, but it's not because of the new costumes or new fancy that you can buy and upgrade. It's the tension and excitement of sneaking that made this game series great. Some people may like this "freedom to choose", I guess. But too much choice can make it as an unnecessary distraction. I'll be honest. I haven't play the whole game, but I don't think if I have patience to get through the whole game. I got tired of this fast pace action shooting game, with sneaking elements, very fast. I understand that this game have some appeal, but it's not for me. Call me old faction, but I like sneaking and hiding in the shadows, the Sam Fisher way, the old
  9. Aug 27, 2013
    Ubisoft really killed it this time. Conviction was the end; it wasn’t the best but definitely better. Putting aside that the controls of this game on a PC is just outrageous, you run around triggering movements that should only be a controller perk, causing laughable death exposing yourself to the enemy. This is going to the worst PC game of the decade in terms of console port issues. TheUbisoft really killed it this time. Conviction was the end; it wasn’t the best but definitely better. Putting aside that the controls of this game on a PC is just outrageous, you run around triggering movements that should only be a controller perk, causing laughable death exposing yourself to the enemy. This is going to the worst PC game of the decade in terms of console port issues. The graphics is nothing new anymore for this age, it just looks as it should, no wows or any better. Missions are very fragilely crafted, as if Ubisoft tries to focus on both coop and single player at the same time and fails at both. The “mother ship” or “base” concept in a shooter is not new anymore, Mass Effect was epic; Blacklist is abysmal. Besides, it is not even a good one. Is Ubisoft trying to cram 20 games into one? This is a really good question. These people need to stop having whiteboard meetings using dumbed down theoretical groupthink and feel like achieving. What happened to genuine creativity? I feel cheated of $50 playing this game for real. How much worse can it be? Expand
  10. Aug 27, 2013
    Essentially, this game combines poorly executed elements of Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect. Cover-based shooting, poor AI, boring and predictable action sequences/cutscenes, and the loss of Michael Ironside make Blacklist the worst Splinter Cell yet, narrowly beating out Conviction.

Very disappointing. If you were a fan of the first three Splinter Cell games you may be yet again sorely disappointed in the lack of ingenuity and creativity put forth in this title. The game has regressed into yet another cover-based shooter, extremely linear in its level design and limited in its replayability. Certain reviewers have claimed that the developers were intent on bringing the series closer to its roots in stealth gameplay, however I found no evidence of that in this title. Things like horde mode, a weapon/gear unlock system, "heavy" enemies, and laughable plot devices bring the game closer to what we've come to expect from AAA console titles. You will notice that in this game, the Fisher character we once knew has morphed into Captain Shephard from Mass Effect, with his own personal spaceship that flies around from mission to mission to kill the ancient aliens known as the "Engineers." Once on the ground, Fisher again morphs into a superfast Enzio-esque monkey who is only capable of running or sprinting, and knows no concept of the word "sneak" (on the PC version at least he may be able to walk slower using a thumbstick on console).

Still, I can see the appeal for some people who just want a very easy, on-rails cover-based shooter that basically plays itself for you, not to mention the beautiful graphics. It's just a shame that Splinter Cell has gone down that path, because games that actually make you think and plan ahead a la SC: Chaos Theory are incredibly rare these days.
  11. Aug 20, 2013
    Horribly optimized, dragged down by Uplay, and a intellectually crippled addition to the Splinter Cell franchise. I'm sure Multiplayer would be fantastic if it weren't for the fact that this is a horrible, consolized port.
  12. Aug 30, 2013
    Just like Conviction this game is incorrectly sold as a stealth game when in reality it is nothing but a cover-to-cover action shooter. Like Conviction, it has optional stealth segments here and there but it is by far the most inferior way of completing your missions and is basically a handicap unlike the Splinter Cell games of old where stealth was your best ally. The 2 comes from theJust like Conviction this game is incorrectly sold as a stealth game when in reality it is nothing but a cover-to-cover action shooter. Like Conviction, it has optional stealth segments here and there but it is by far the most inferior way of completing your missions and is basically a handicap unlike the Splinter Cell games of old where stealth was your best ally. The 2 comes from the fact that it looks decent and it runs okay after the patch but I couldn't stand the game for very long due to the above issue and because personally (as a non-American) I found the overly-patriotic "God bless 'Murrica" story to be vomit-inducing. I'll pass, thanks. Expand
  13. Aug 20, 2013
    If you liked any of the previous splinter cells you will enjoy this game, the voice change takes some getting used to but its a splinter cell with the stealth element back!
  14. Feb 3, 2014
    Seriously, what the hell is this. I buy this game, intending mainly to play it multiplayer with a friend, and it doesn't work at all. I look on the forums to see what's up, to see if there is some fix or anything, willing to do an amount of work to fix it, and nothing. All I see is that for some people it works and for others it doesn't. I have an excellent computer and great internet, andSeriously, what the hell is this. I buy this game, intending mainly to play it multiplayer with a friend, and it doesn't work at all. I look on the forums to see what's up, to see if there is some fix or anything, willing to do an amount of work to fix it, and nothing. All I see is that for some people it works and for others it doesn't. I have an excellent computer and great internet, and so does my friend, so it's not those. It's simply a dumb game that doesn't work as advertised.

Maybe the single player is good, I don't know. But for me, I bought this game for the multiplayer and coop with a friend, and I got nothing out of it. If you want to play multiplayer, **** save your money. The Devs don't respond to any of the forums. Not they just can't figure out how to fix it. THEY ARE IGNORING IT.

Not to mention this awful Uplay fiasco. Seriously? why do we need this Uplay **** It adds nothing to the game and only makes everyone pissed. I, for one, seriously want my money back.
  15. Feb 13, 2014
    Having just played AC4 (Black Flag) I guess I've grown used to fluid movement controls (and sea shanties), which makes Blacklist all the more grating. It's just horribly inconsistent, you can't climb over things you expect to be able to climb over, you can't drop off things you expect to drop off, the cover system works here but not there. And if you get caught in the open by a heavy, youHaving just played AC4 (Black Flag) I guess I've grown used to fluid movement controls (and sea shanties), which makes Blacklist all the more grating. It's just horribly inconsistent, you can't climb over things you expect to be able to climb over, you can't drop off things you expect to drop off, the cover system works here but not there. And if you get caught in the open by a heavy, you might as well surrender, because you feel like a drunk puppeteer as you try and bring shots down on target.. I had to rage-quit so many times (in order to avoid a coronary) that I ultimately decided to uninstall after completing just under 50%. So frustrating. Avoid. Expand
  16. Feb 4, 2014
    The game is pretty good, WHEN I can play it. With Uplay it's almost impossible to get it to run, and when it runs, it doesn't save. BEWARE of Uplay! Don't buy this game, Uplay will make sure you won't be able to enjoy it.
  17. Feb 18, 2014
    I would not recommend this game to anyone who wants to play online with friends. Like so many of Ubisoft's games - the "play with a friend" game type does not work. One only has to read the forums to see that this is not an isolated problem. It's half a game. And if you're like me and purchased the game mainly because you wanted to play online with a friend, then you'll be sorelyI would not recommend this game to anyone who wants to play online with friends. Like so many of Ubisoft's games - the "play with a friend" game type does not work. One only has to read the forums to see that this is not an isolated problem. It's half a game. And if you're like me and purchased the game mainly because you wanted to play online with a friend, then you'll be sorely disappointed. If you are just looking for a single-player FPS then you probably could do worse than SC: Blacklist. But if you're after co-op fun with friends, then avoid at all costs. Expand
  18. Aug 14, 2014
    Splinter cell: Blacklist is a mediocre game in the franchise but by far was the most anticipated because it brings all the stuff that was new in Conviction, but builds it all into one full fluid gameplay experience. Sadly this made the game too different and it didn't feel like a splinter cell game at all, but just another action game that incorporated stealth in some areas to compete withSplinter cell: Blacklist is a mediocre game in the franchise but by far was the most anticipated because it brings all the stuff that was new in Conviction, but builds it all into one full fluid gameplay experience. Sadly this made the game too different and it didn't feel like a splinter cell game at all, but just another action game that incorporated stealth in some areas to compete with the SC series. Many problems for the PC version made it annoying to play but I felt like I had to because I needed to continue through the SC franchise even though this one was a bit of a disappointment but not so bad that it was a bad game. It still is great just doesn't feel like a SC game which is why I think this game still deserves a positive score. Expand
  19. Oct 13, 2013
    the game is just too boring. I played it and after three missions I had enough. The missions are monotonous, the weapons are no good, the storyline is just too bogus and other like that. Good for kids, for adults.
  20. Sep 4, 2013
    Three hours in, and I found the most satisfying feature to be the 'quit to desktop' menu option. Gameplay centers around lining up on hotspots. When done precisely enough, one or more of the available action buttons are shown onscreen. Thus allowing a predefined action to be executed. Taking cover, climbing... are only allowed at the behest of this system. The other half is shootingThree hours in, and I found the most satisfying feature to be the 'quit to desktop' menu option. Gameplay centers around lining up on hotspots. When done precisely enough, one or more of the available action buttons are shown onscreen. Thus allowing a predefined action to be executed. Taking cover, climbing... are only allowed at the behest of this system. The other half is shooting things. But enemies will spot you within seconds, even when facing away. Some of these limitations might be alleviated through the upgrade system. But it is a serious grind getting there. Expand
  21. Oct 26, 2013
    I can't see what all the fuss is about for this game. The characters are unengaging, it's padded with tedious cut scenes, the graphics are so-so and the controls are awful and will result in regular death.

This is a like a 5 or 6 year old game, avoid.
  22. Sep 22, 2013
    Extremely disappointing. I love stealth games, but I simply can't believe that the enemies are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO STUPID and yet do crap-tons of damage. You can't outsmart them or lure them on higher difficulties; you simply have to avoid their pre-programmed walking paths. THIS IS NOT HOW A STEALTH GAME SHOULD BE!
  23. Mar 17, 2014
    VERY buggy. Constant crashes. Sometimes doesn't even start thanks to Uplay. Doesn't save games. The small amount of the game I managed to play uninterrupted was very linear, dull and predictable. Avoid at all costs.
  24. Dec 14, 2013
    This game is garbage. Coop is broken and Ubisoft doesn't care. Go die plz. If you're going to make us go through port forwarding and firewall nonsense, then you've broken the game and done something wrong. Thanks for being idiots as usual.
  25. Aug 25, 2013
    I've only got one thing to say: to everyone who is not American, this game is insulting. It's telling you that not accepting the US as the world's police is met with death. The Engineers have respected the Geneva Conventions. They are not soldiers per se, but they are not terrorists either.

I though at first Blacklist would be a thin-veiled parody: most video games have you play as an American. The team could have tried social commentary; such as "this is what happens when you get too zealous with security". But no, they play it straight: the Engineers are the bad guys, Fischer, who is above the laws and fitted with the best tech ever invented (no way this could backfire... oh wait, what happened to Conviction in the timeline of the series?), is the good guy. There is no irony. There is no commentary. You are here for one thing only: kill the heretics who dare revolt against the US.

Really strange, considering the game was made by a Canadian team owned by a French company.

And yet, I will give Blacklist a 5. If you overlook the scenario, you will find a capable shooter. Yet, technical issues (such as gamepads not being supported correctly despite being made to play with a gamepad; or the fact that there's already a patch when the game is less than 1 week old) must be taken into account and thus, I think Blacklist deserves a bad mark, but not a 0 just because I didn't like one aspect.
  26. Aug 27, 2013
    I understand how the games are made these days, but still, I can't stand it. The biggest Blacklist's problem is the same as in the Hitman: Absolution. It's not a series-belonging game anymore. Almost all things that you've loved are now gone, and I think, it's forever. It's a good game, though, but let's divide the pros and cons:
    ||||||||||||||||||||||
    Pros: 1) The game tries to please
    ||||||||||||||||||||||
    Pros:
    1) The game tries to please old fans. Starting with the same sonic emitter clicking sounds as in the SCCT, to the overall sense of "being a ghost agent".
    2) The plot is kinda silly, but come on, it always've been silly and cutscenes are nice and that Normandy-like airplane with command center on board is doing it's purpose good, making the game more atmospheric.
    3) Missions! Good old badass stealth suit spec ops are definetly better than that... Jason Bourne thing that was in Conviction instead of SC-like missions.
    4) Gadgets are sweet!
    ||||||||||||||||||||||
    Cons:
    1) PC controls sucks balls HARD.
    2) Sam is not Sam. I mean' seriously, that guy is the other guy.
    3) Levels are too linear and scripted.
    4) Suit upgrading system sucks balls.
    5) Plane upgrades are cheat! I don't want to use the radar and other cheating stuff, but game is forcing me to do it!
    6) OPSAT is not OPSAT anymore. It sucks balls.
    7) Gimme back old goggles! I want the thermal night EM modes back in one device,
    8) Gimme back old noise shadow levels!
    ||||||||||||||||||||||
    Way better than the Conviction but still, it can not be compared to, for example, brilliant Chaos Theory. Even to Double Agent. Dear developers. Please. Stop thinking that the gamers are dumb. Take a look at indie industry and start making the games way it was back in mid-00's.
  27. Aug 28, 2013
    Splinter Cell: Blacklist are somewhere between the old Splinter Cell and the Splinter Cell: Conviction. But this game takes you by the hand through the entire game. The standard two ways (illusion of choice). Enemies who have the same behavior at every load. And in some places shooting is necessary. There are flaws in the gameplay. The script in the second half crumpled.
  28. Aug 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ok, this is the only review I ever hope to write. Ubisoft killed one of my favorite franchises. I've owned and played every Splinter Cell and loved them all, Conviction was barely passing as OK. Now this next part is a rant, that I kept forcing myself not to talk a about, but I just can't stay away for. it. The old and wise, deep voiced, badass Sam Fisher that we all know and love is GONE, he's dead. I refuse to believe that this new horribly voiced, George Cloony hair kit, 32 year is Sam. Fisher in this game just straight up comes off to be egotistical my, boring, and hard to look at and listen to. ok, but with rant aside, how does the game play? It's honestly barely passable. Gun play is just awkward at times and has some smoothing problems, some aps feel like they discourage stealth, and those missions that make you fail on alarm raises make no sense. you can kill of knock out and guard if you're undetected, but when Sam exfils it's like nothing happened, WTF The actual story is rides the fine like if average and bombarded with stereotypes, like ALL OF THE CHARACTERS IN THE GAME. Smart bad guy, nerdy hacker, old russian misfits looking arms dealer, new generic white washed african American soldier, intel officer, etc. I couldn't find myself to Carr or like anyone besides Lobin and Charlie. I honestly don't even know if anyone is reading at this point, but bottom like is, this game isn't worth it. I'm obviously talking from an extremely biased point of view, but I beat the campaign in about 10 hours on realistic difficulty, not including Charlie or Brigg's missions, the multiplayer is whatever, and Sam Fisher is dead. Btw he doesn't even should like he would Sarah's dad, he sounds and looks like a 32 year old pervert that bought a George Cloony hair kit. Expand
  29. Sep 5, 2013
    Here's Ubisoft's vision. If the game is broken (Conviction) and loses more fan base than it gains, make a 2nd one that is the same exact thing but bring back multiplayer to win-back our lost fans. Granted, I am very happy that they brought back Spies vs. Mercs again. But the Single Player (Which I used to enjoy) was short, felt like a 3rd Person Shooter, and I didn't feel those tenseHere's Ubisoft's vision. If the game is broken (Conviction) and loses more fan base than it gains, make a 2nd one that is the same exact thing but bring back multiplayer to win-back our lost fans. Granted, I am very happy that they brought back Spies vs. Mercs again. But the Single Player (Which I used to enjoy) was short, felt like a 3rd Person Shooter, and I didn't feel those tense moments of getting discovered as I did earlier in the series. Please don't try again. Expand
  30. Sep 18, 2013
    If I look at the critic reviews it is obvious that they were either paid, or otherwise incapacitated. Just installing this game already made me hate it.
    First of all, I had to install UPlay which I really didn't want to I had to wait all day for the 19 gig download (that's fine thats normal) but then I had to actually install it "Oh wait let me download another 800meg of who knows what." Ok...fine...so now lets play this game "Oh wait! Let me download another 1gig or who knows what." Right...now I'm thoroughly annoyed and completely lost my desire to play.

I try again the next day I load up the game and instantly I am thrown into an intro video no menu or nothing but oddly enough it's in windowed mode...other than possibly Minecraft, why would a game EVER want to run in windowed mode?! So fine I watch the video cringing at the horrible Sam Fisher voice, crying slightly inside realizing that this marks the loss of what Splinter Cell used to be. Finally when the video is over I can go and change my settings to not be in windowed mode anymore and now I'm ready to play. Oh wait...why is my keyboard not working? I can't move...or look. I have zero control over Sam. I check my settings ok, for some reason all my move keys are unbound. I bind them, still nothing. I restart the game nope. At this point I'm just ticked off and I don't think I'll load up this game again.

As others have said this is a terrrrrrrible console port and I hate Ubisoft for destroying the one game franchise I actually really loved to play. I am willing to forgive their screw up with Chaos Theory not working on Windows 7 and their absolute lack of caring about it, but this? Sorry guys I may never buy a game from you again. But that's ok because I can tell I won't be missing out on much.

I wish companies would realize that PC gamers are not a thing of the past. When last I checked I think our numbers may actually be growing. Here is a tip create a beautiful game full with goodness, good game design, mechanics etc but create it with a PC in mind. THEN...take your knife and gut the heck out of it to fit on a console. This way PC gamers get your best, and console players won't notice a thing please do this instead of how everyone seems to be currently doing it which is the other way around creating the game as if the whole concept of it has been gutted, and then trying to slap some foundation on it to make it look pretty for the PC players.
  31. Sep 12, 2013
    I purchased two copies so I could play coop with my wife. The multiplayer simply does not work. I can't even send an invite to join. I've done everything the forums say to do, and its just plain broken.

I'm not real surprised though. I've never purchased a single Uplay game that actually worked the first time. There is always something broken with the game because Uplay is such a piece of garbage. It completely ruins the experience.

I submitted a request to UBI for help on the issue two days ago. Nothing.
  32. Jan 2, 2014
    A truly terrible game, completely butchered. Uplay is a horrible piece of software, and it actually downloads the installer, rather than the installed game. I had about 10 minutes of fun little flashbacks to the last time I actually installed a game instead of just using Steam. After that was finished, guess what! Time to install patches! So now that Uplay has established itself as 100%A truly terrible game, completely butchered. Uplay is a horrible piece of software, and it actually downloads the installer, rather than the installed game. I had about 10 minutes of fun little flashbacks to the last time I actually installed a game instead of just using Steam. After that was finished, guess what! Time to install patches! So now that Uplay has established itself as 100% useless in that it acts like neither an installer nor an updater... whatever. Let's just play the ga... oh. Enter my activation code? Okay..... "The activation code you entered is already registered to another account."

Good job Ubisoft, for once again screwing over the people that actually paid for your game. I wonder if the fact that I already purchased it gives me the right to get a working version through torrents?

If you must put DRM on your games, at least make it somewhat like Steam's. Never in the way, it just works. Sign in and play. None of this activation code nonsense, and just download the installed game. After I finish purchasing and downloading a game I expect to be able to play.
  33. Feb 23, 2014
    Turns out they not only removed Sam's voice, but his soul as well. If the guy in this game is Sam Fisher, then I am James Bond and I am not even British.
  34. Oct 11, 2013
    This game as far as PC is concerned is full of potential. Currently the game has no chance of escaping its port from console issues such as a jumpy cover system, terrible menu system and some large multiplayer faults. To highlight the current major downfall of multiplayer is the ability for opponents to quit at the point a win becomes very slim, and rather than awarding you victory theThis game as far as PC is concerned is full of potential. Currently the game has no chance of escaping its port from console issues such as a jumpy cover system, terrible menu system and some large multiplayer faults. To highlight the current major downfall of multiplayer is the ability for opponents to quit at the point a win becomes very slim, and rather than awarding you victory the game will attempt to migrate the host; fail to do so and send you back to lobby giving you no experience or even a win. As for developer support the most recent change was making the hack/resupply key space-bar by default, so not very promising as far as issue priority. I want to sink more time into the game, but when me and my spy vs merc partner are about to land a win we have been disappointed on multiple occasions by the quitting to prevent a loss attitude. Simply changing this aspect for multiplayer would do the game massive good. If your buying this game for the mulitplayer, stay back until further notice. Expand
  35. Jan 2, 2014
    Terrible control design, short storyline, almost impossible to get an actual match going in multiplayer, and it starts in windowed mode at basic graphics and plunges you right into a long cutscene where you cannot adjust graphics options... no seriously, pressing escape literally makes a pause icon pop up. Are you high, Ubisoft?

But by far the worst part of it is the absolutely

But by far the worst part of it is the absolutely depressing story line. Its literally an X Y Z progression through each level that doesn't change. You'll be Sam Fishering along and suddenly INCEPTION HORN! and some knife fight, "oh whats that?" you ask yourself "did I seriously just beat the game?" It's so mundane and predictable that Bruce Willis could do better in die hard 6.

Also no more Michael Ironside... I hope you're ready for that.
  36. Aug 31, 2013
    SNAFU. Well, I really wanted to like this new Splinter Cell game. I've played them all and let me tell you folks this is the absolute WORST when it comes to graphical optimizations, and especially, crashes. Some graphics settings require restart of the game, but when you restarted, you discover everything has been defaulted to "Low". The game just won't start until you edit one .iniSNAFU. Well, I really wanted to like this new Splinter Cell game. I've played them all and let me tell you folks this is the absolute WORST when it comes to graphical optimizations, and especially, crashes. Some graphics settings require restart of the game, but when you restarted, you discover everything has been defaulted to "Low". The game just won't start until you edit one .ini file from "My Documents". Graphics glitches appear after altering the settings from the default "low" ones. random crashes to desktop are something of a usual matter.
    Gameplay? not much to say after ragequitting because of the graphics. All in all seems like the typical mediocre action shooter with terrorists. I never liked this whole plot-line "we are USA, the absolute power, we see them terrorists everywhere and we kill them", but at least the first 3 games were good stealth games. The other 2 looked good and were acceptable. But this one? In one word GARBAGE.
    Seriously guys, wait for a cut to 25% of the release price, maybe one year or so, also for some 3-4 graphics patches to come out.
  37. Aug 31, 2013
    How is this game compared to the 5 previous installments? Sub-par compared to the first 3 games, less buggy but have more crash than double agent, same stupid cover-based stealth as conviction but this time you can at least drag bodies, and have some hi-tech fancy cheating stuff.

The good old-day noise and shadow based stealth is still missing. Player is granted serious cheating equipment like enemy detecting radar, player-controlled small plane, and super sonar vision, etc.

Sam Fisher is no longer Sam Fisher, he becomes a super US-hero like spider-man with good agility to switch between cover, and have strong gun power for assault purpose. Using hi-tech knock-out equipments to clear a dangerous room while hiding in a safe place will be very rewarding in terms of points, even better than if you sneak like a ghost agent.

So, this game is in fact a third person shooter with some basic stealth element. Even the last mission reminds me the last scene of Call of Duty MW.

If you are casual players, you may like this game if you don't suffer from the serious technical issues like the others mentioned. However, if you want to have a professional stealth game like the first 3 games of splinter cell, you will be disappointed.

On the other hand, the control is quite crappy just like a straight console port, and you may also suffer some performance issues like the others mentioned.

I will give this game a 5, if there is no such serious game crash, random fps drop, and the stupid control which often cause Sam to perform unintended action.
  38. Sep 29, 2013
    Bought the game. Started it up. Instantly greeted by a forced cutscene and mission. No time to configure options, nothing. Alright. Play through the 30 minute intro. That's fine, I didn't want to actually start playing a real game. Start up Spies vs. Mercs, which is primarily what I bought it for. Play first round as a Merc. Sensitivity is absolute garbage and feels sluggish no matterBought the game. Started it up. Instantly greeted by a forced cutscene and mission. No time to configure options, nothing. Alright. Play through the 30 minute intro. That's fine, I didn't want to actually start playing a real game. Start up Spies vs. Mercs, which is primarily what I bought it for. Play first round as a Merc. Sensitivity is absolute garbage and feels sluggish no matter what. Spy must be better, right? Nope. Want to take cover? That's nice, as soon as you exit cover you're sprinting no matter what. And how do you stop sprinting? I don't know, not with the sprint key, that's for sure. Oh, and while sprinting, you automatically leap over obstacles and run up any walls you come across. "I'm just gonna walk up to this cover and... alright, just jump into the Merc's sight, that's cool." Every single action is bound to the same button as another action, so have fun trying to convince the game that you want stab people and not hack a terminal. The controls were obviously designed for a controller, not a keyboard and mouse, so just plug in a controller, right? Wrong: it'll read your controller for about 5 minutes, then decide it doesn't like it anymore. This game just angers me beyond belief.

CLEARLY DESIGNED FOR PEASANT BOXES.
  39. Sep 28, 2013
    This game is the second kick in the nuts from Ubisoft after SC:Conviction. It seemed like a half-decent game when I first heard about the Perfectionist difficulty. Now let me tell you why that was complete bull****.
    The whole game is just a big mess they tried to build an actual stealth system on this Conviction-esque engine. Well, it's a drunkard's decision to say the least (probably Maxime Belland at it again). It just doesn't feel natural at all like the past good Splinter Cell games Yes, even Double Agent feels better.
    The upgrade system seemed like a fun addition, but it's actually redundant. It's a pain in the ass that you have to buy something in order to get the next item on the list available. Also, why the hell does Sam have to buy "nanofiber vector-space quantum-silenator" pants and shoes to sneak up on someone, who WILL eventually just turn around, because the AI 'somehow' heard him coming up from behind?! How the hell did Sam manage to sneak up on guards in Conviction with cargo pants and hiking boots and they didn't even hear him at all?! I can only assume he's gotten so old, that he's got bad knees or some other idiotic reason. But it's hard to believe he's any older than 30 (55 in-game) when he looks like Commander Shepard from Mass Effect.
    The new voice actor is horrible too, he sounds like a depressed teenager. I don't know what the hell were they thinking when they didn't decide to have Michael Ironside as the voice actor again. Mocap seems like a sorry excuse, because it's something that anyone barely notices in comparison to just simple hand-made artificial animations...
    I dealt with everything up to the point where I decided to do a solo/coop mission. The one thing that cost me so many brain cells was the fact that there was no manual saving system. Every time I got caught in the mission, I had to be sent all the way back and do all the menial knock-outs and stealth passes again. I don't even know how it's supposed to be a "fun challenge" when it's just having to do the same trash over and over again. Finally, after wasting more than an hour on it, I get past it and then greeted by another two checkpoints... That means I spent a whole hour doing only one third of the whole mission. And that's where I pretty much snapped If I was about 20 or 30 years older, I probably would've smashed my screen and then proceeded to kill myself via overdose of anger management pills, downed with a bottle of Jack Daniels.
    I hate this game beyond redemption. It is just so bad: gameplay & controls almost identical to Conviction (which means it's bad), the characters and voice actors bland as hell, the sound and music could've been way better, the animations decent, but the fact that mocap meant no Michael Ironside it's horse****, the missions nothing but repetitive objectives, side-missions a ragefest for your brain, enemies agitating and some are overpowered, weapons & gadgets frequently ineffective (waste of all the money), upgrade system redundant, replay value barely any, because replaying it would be boring as hell, checkpoint system satisfactory for the story missions, but a kick in the head for solo/coop missions, graphics they look bad and obsolete (the menus look better than the actual game itself), and finally DLC it can kiss my hole, because I'm not giving away another single cent to Ubisoft after seeing how typically bad they messed up again. Hell, even Hitman: Absolution would be better worth called a Splinter Cell game (minus the gadgets) than this pile of camel vomit.
    Needless to say, the sooner Ubisoft bankrupts, the better off the world will be.
  40. Mar 13, 2014
    I have not a single clue why this is called splinter cell, or why it is labeled a stealth game. Stealth for dummies would be a better title (If it had any stealth). It is clear that these people have no idea why previous installment were successful because the core mechanics have been scrapped and dumbed down to something new and horrible. Every single aspect of this game is utterlyI have not a single clue why this is called splinter cell, or why it is labeled a stealth game. Stealth for dummies would be a better title (If it had any stealth). It is clear that these people have no idea why previous installment were successful because the core mechanics have been scrapped and dumbed down to something new and horrible. Every single aspect of this game is utterly abysmal. Everything from controls to user interface has a bad feel and hinders any chance at fun gameplay. They could not even bother to take the time to work with the lighting properly. If your gaming room has any sort of window to the outside you will be unable to see anything on screen while you play as a merc (Who no longer have flashlights for some reason.) Stealth is about being patient and tactical, neither of which are present in this sprint to kill mess. This is not only yet another slap in the face to all fans of the series, but even managed to be worse than conviction when it comes to controls and movement. This game is clearly made to cater to people to brain dead to be bothered with real stealth or tactics (Casual Gamers).
    Boycott this uncreative atrocity that spits on the epic name of splinter cell. Avoid at all costs, oblivion and morrowind have better stealth than this.
  41. Jun 26, 2014
    The game itself is great. The graphics are decent, the sound quality is good, it captivates the splinter cell feel, although not as well as older games of the series.
    Here's the problem though: I bought this game for coop with my friend and it doesn't work because it runs with **** UPLAY CRAP.
    **** YOU UBISOFT WHY HAVE YOU CREATED THIS ABOMINATION THAT IS UPLAY?! WHY?! I TRIED FOR 5
    **** YOU UBISOFT
    WHY HAVE YOU CREATED THIS ABOMINATION THAT IS UPLAY?! WHY?!
    I TRIED FOR 5 **** HOURS WITH MY FRIEND, INSTALLED COUNTLESS PATCHES, REINSTALLED THE GAME, EVEN REINSTALLED **** UPLAY BULLCRAP AND IT STILL DOESN'T WORK!
    AND IT HAS BEEN SO LONG SINCE THE **** LAUNCH OF THIS **** **** AND UBISOFT HAVENT GOTTEN THEIR **** TOGETHER!

F

O
    F
    T
  42. Sep 4, 2013
    Let me first state that I came into this thinking that Ubisoft finally balanced out the came from that pure garbage of a game known as Conviction (which, was really just nothing more than a third-person shooter with some stealth elements). The sort of did. They did allow for multiple options, and routes, to get around enemies and eliminated much of the linearity of Conviction and allowedLet me first state that I came into this thinking that Ubisoft finally balanced out the came from that pure garbage of a game known as Conviction (which, was really just nothing more than a third-person shooter with some stealth elements). The sort of did. They did allow for multiple options, and routes, to get around enemies and eliminated much of the linearity of Conviction and allowed for actual stealthy game-play to come back (and let's face it, the only "stealthy" parts of Conviction was the Deniable Ops mode). The game-play, to me puts this at a higher level than the previous game.

Which would be great, if not for two things. Number one. The game is WAY too short, and it makes ZERO sense. I don't know why they've decided to allow Sam to still be apart of the series in this sort of a fashion. I might allow a prequel game, but this is a continuation off of Conviction...And Sam is 56 years old in this game. In fact, not also is he 56 years-old, he looks like he's in his 30's and can do gymnastics and parkour like he was in his late-teens! Really Ubisoft? And what about a possible replacement? I'm pretty damn sure that seeing a geriatric Sam Fisher, in his 70's doing the same kinds of craziness, would be hilarious, but why not just make him to the point where he's: a) too old to do the job and turns into an Irving Lambert role, or b) have him already in an Irving Lambert role and have one, or two, new characters take the role. Heck, it could have it that Archer and Kestrel be the replacements (cause, I don't know, that might bring CONTINUITY to the series). Heck, it could even make the game LONGER. Because, after the missions are over (12 side missions that you can do in solo mode that feels more like a chore than something that adds to the game) you're going to feel a little underwhelmed. Like "that's it?" kind of underwhelmed. Not good unless Ubisoft is going to try to nickle-and-dime us for more glorious DLC (correction..."ULC", yay!).

The second is uPlay (or what I like to call uCrap). I had bought the game from Steam and everything seemed to be cool with it...For one day. The next day, guess what happened when I tried to log-on? I CONTINUOUSLY got kicked back with uCrap telling me that my password/username doesn't match! Here's the fun part, after messing around with uCrap for the better part of an hour (re-inputting my username/password) I could not play my damned game! I tried to get my password reset, but I guess the website has a thing for cookies as it kept telling me to allow cookies for the site! Here's the funny part...BOTH browsers I have allows cookies! This is my main complaint, that if Ubisoft wants to run this crappy, intrusive, always having to log-on before playing DRM crap, AT LEAST have a working program! To add on to this (and I am in no way promoting this), but I had to get a crack just so I could play a game that I paid $55 for. Let me reiterate...The crappy, P.O.S. DRM "service", that never worked right, that is buggy, that stopped me from playing a game that I spent hard-earned money on had caused me to not only re-download a whopping 18GB game, but also forced me to have to get a crack so that I could circumvent the RE-F***ING-DICULOUS, always have to log-on, never-working, uCrap DRM service. For f***'s-sake, Ubisoft, if you want DRM always on, great, there are A MULTITUDE of options: work with a 3rd party, have the game synced up with the MAC/IP address of the computer, or HELL, DON'T HAVE IT. But no, you have put in place a DRM so sh*tty that it causes people to find non-legal routes just to play their damned game! Thanks a lot Ubisoft.

It gets a 3 because of the uCrap issues. If it worked great, I would be more inclined to give it a 7 as the game-play is genuinely fun, although the story makes no sense, it's too short, and plays on every ridiculous stereotype known to man (which I skipped through most of), I actually liked it (it balanced and actually rewarded stealth game-play). But they need to find a way to replace Sam (and NOT have it so that he looked to have downed the Fountain of Youth) and they should've done this yesterday.
  43. Sep 1, 2013
    This is not splinter cell. This is a typical example of how devs are making their games accessible "to a wider audience", in other words dumbing it down so much stupid 10 year olds can play it and think they are good. Not challenging, pathetically easy and disgrace to the rest of the series (excluding conviction, that was too).

If this didn't say Splinter Cell on the cover I might

If this didn't say Splinter Cell on the cover I might think of giving it a 4 or 5, but unfortunately it does, which hurts me, as well as the original SC fan base. Do not buy.
  44. Sep 10, 2013
    Aside from few small glitches I haven't noticed anything that I would call a serious bug. That is in SP at least since I have't played multiplayer yet.

Now as for the game itself as a really big Splinter Cell fan I have to say that as far as content and presentation are concerned I dare say that this is perhaps the best Splinter Cell to date. Yes even better than Chaos Theory in some aspects. Its lengthy and the Perfectionist difficulty (the only true way for every Splinter Cell fan to play this game) is ruthless (sometimes even too much). There is a huge number of main and side missions which you can repeat as many times as you like in order to get specific play-style bonuses and achievements. What I like best about the game is Fisher himself. For the first time we get to see him in some very specific situations where he can't rely on his gizmos. Additionally I thought that the absence of Michael Ironside might prove to be a huge minus however I was surprised to see how well the new actor fits the role of a more natural Fisher. He is not that much expressive which is a downer sometimes but still Fisher's voice acting surprised me in a positive way. Don't know if I could go back to listening Ironside again :)

Now the bad part. The controls are ridiculously laggy with key bindings which will sometimes force players into despair. Especially on Perfectionist difficulty where its extremely important to react fast. It will happen all too often to wait for a guard to pass a door in order to knock him down but then watch something shocking happen when you press E like closing a door right in front of the guard or flipping a light switch on which just happened to be right next to the doors. There is also a problem with picking up knocked down enemies from the floor because in almost 95% of the situations when you press E above the body you will be picking up the enemy's weapon instead of his body. Then you have to press E again to get back your silenced weapon and hover over the body of the lying enemy just to find a spot where the game registers a body picking action. Sam also buffers too much control commands. I.e. you accidentally pressed E twice to close an open door Sam will refuse to ignore the second keypress and open the door after the first animation has finished. Then there are a tons of unpredictable and long animations which will make life harder on Perfectionist difficulty.

If it wasn't for the horrible controls I would rate the game 10/10 without ANY hesitation. Huge amount of quality content, lengthy and very challenging missions, excellent voice acting and a very good usage of Sam's character to progress the story (for the fist time since Splinter Cell exists I'd say). All the reasons to praise this game. An excellent return to the roots of what made Splinter Cell an excellent and very specific game. But the horrible experience with the controls has to be taken into account which is why I give this game a well deserved 9/10. For anyone who likes Splinter Cell buying this game is not a question of buying it or not just a question when to buy it
  45. Sep 7, 2013
    A mix of Splinter Cell Conviction and Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, the most genius mix ever, it's got the awesomeness from Chaos Theory and the smooth gameplay mechanics from Conviction. And the things people say about bad optimization is not true, I run it above 60fps 100% of the time at 1920x1080 and at medium settings with a decent PC.
  46. Sep 2, 2013
    It's a decent game. The story is decent, but the gameplay is to short. The graphics aren't that good. There are annoying bugs while shooting near objects. At the moment the game isn't worth the price.
  47. Aug 30, 2013
    I'm really sorry but I cannot recommend this game at all because, once again, Ubisoft has ripped us off with their online servers and connections.

I have been trying to play with a friend for several days, and all we get is disconnections and "unable to connect to the lobby" messages. Splinter Cell Chaos Theory had the same problem, and so did Conviction, and it seems that they just

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory had the same problem, and so did Conviction, and it seems that they just don't care about programming some decent multiplayer network, because in Blacklist it will fail and fail once and again.

If you want this game to play SpiesVSMercs or Coop Missions with a friend... DO NOT buy it! You will be wasting your money. Servers work really really bad, and all Ubisoft does to fix it is to tell you to forward your ports, deactivate your firewall, and some other stuff which do nothing to fix the situation, because they just won't accept that it's a problem on THEIR end.

If I have 15 online games in my computer, and all of them work perfectly online but Blacklist, I'd say it's pretty easy to guess which one has some problems that their developer needs to fix.

DO NOT get ripped off by Ubisoft.
  48. Aug 25, 2013
    I wouldn't recommend this game at such a steep price point. Gameplay was passable. Story was shallow.

It was ported from consoles with little or no testing or effort spent on making sure it ran correctly. I wouldn't advise spending money on it regardless of how good you think the gameplay looks. It crashes at least every half hour and texture glitches abound on a variety of different graphics cards and systems. don't bet on being the excepting. The control scheme was half-hearted and not thought out for PC. Being able to use a mouse and simply aim at an enemy's head makes the single player far too easy. I'm sure its difficulty is much more balanced when played with thumbsticks? To top things off I had to complete the final mission three times just to see the ending because the game crashes immediately following the mission summary screen and wouldn't save the progress.

tl;dr: You aren't missing a game of the year here, and it's a perfect example of a terrible console port.
  49. Sep 3, 2013
    This game is no better than Conviction, perhaps even worse. I don't play Splinter Cell to pretend I'm playing Call of Duty, but that is exactly what this game feels like. With Juggernauts, Shielded Juggernauts, Spybot controllers, dogs and countless other absurdities taken from the least creative methods of applying difficulty, this game is hugely disappointing.

This game feels like a

This game feels like a re-skinned Assassin's Creed but far less immersive.
  50. Sep 3, 2013
    Expected the comeback of the old (and good SC). Very disapointed.

Expected the comeback of the old (and good SC). Very disapointed.

The voice acting in SP is average at best. In SP the cover system is very unbalanced, if you are crouched in a dark area the enemy will spot you right away, however if you are using the cover system you go totally undetected. If you try to sneak by the parkour path is really obvious and very linear. The night vision is almost useless and there is no thermal. Whatever difficulty level you play, enemies are equally dumb and the only variable factor i show much healt you have which does come back after a few seconds, call of duty style)

The multiplayer is a major disappointment, as I was expecting the old classic SPY vs MERC game mode to include at least a few old SC2 maps and the older game mechanics. Albeit the "Classic" name, it has nothing in common. The equipment the player have at his disposal is utterly limited compared to Pandora tomorrow. No special visors in merc side, spy have no thermal vision, just a lame Black and white NVG. The spies objective is to hack a terminal, while doing so they have to stay in the surround of the terminal to keep the up-link active, but since the map are so small its super easy to find the spies while they hack and to kill them.

The way the control are setted up is annoying, they dont use enought bindings and having multiples actions on singles buttons gets confusing. There is also no way to adjust your moving speed. You are either walking super fast (in such a noisy manner that would get you noticed in .1 sec in any older game) or sprinting

Non-gameplay related, they game is very bugged, dropping bodies in certain places will have them do the bacon on the floor( with associated loud noise that goes unoticed by the enemy). Many crashes to desktop, and the FOV isnt well suited for multiple monitors gaming. Sometimes NPC textures have "holes" that allow you to see thru them
  51. Sep 8, 2013
    Very disappointed by this game and I've lost faith in Ubisoft once again. Splinter Cell had one of the best systems for interactivity and now it's the worst. I've had instances where instead of knocking out a hostile, Sam would turn ON a light and then close the door. It's simply staggering how the fundamentals of this title are so disheveled and unorganized.

There was a time where

There was a time where there were features in Splinter Cell that made sense and now a lot of the game is completely illogical. The game is ridiculously simplified and even on the hardest difficulty setting, I found no problems beating the game. The cover system makes the game very easy and the execution mechanics are ridiculous! Absolutely outrageous!

This is NOT Splinter Cell. Just a terrible attempt at making Splinter Cell "modern" and to appeal to a wider audience. I do not recommend this game to anyone. Predictable story-line was not at all entertaining and neither was the very quick transition to First-Person shooter view for a full 5 minutes.
    The gun mechanics were terrible all round and felt completely unpolished. I feel embarrassed for Ubisoft and sincerely hope that this was the last Splinter Cell title.
  52. Nov 18, 2013
    Run to this object and hide behind it, now run to the next shadow and hide. Now choose from either this shadow or that shadow to hide in. Ok, now Stop making Call of Duty, Mass Effect, hide and seek, ripoff games you jackasses. Those games are made for idiots who do not like challenges in anything. And the bar continues to be lowered...
  53. Jan 29, 2014
    This game is horrendous! I was given this game by a friend, thinking that it would be good.
    After a painful hour of installing this (and having to patch everything up, thanks to the abomination that is uPlay). The second I was given control of the main character, I was instantly disappointed. Average visuals, clunky and stiff controls, and it suffers massive frame drops.
    After about a

After about a half hour of playing this, I gave up and uninstalled it. I'm glad I didn't spend $90 on this excuse of a port.
    Dark Souls was a better PC port compared to this.
  54. Sep 16, 2013
    The new gameplay is alright, but Chaos Theory was better.
    But that's not the reason for my low score...
    You cannot play this game (or any Ubisoft PC game for that matter). The ports are so terribly done and the team neglects to fix the huge amount of bugs in this game. Blacklist has more bugs than a rainforest. - Launching the game, you have to cross your fingers that it won't
    The new gameplay is alright, but Chaos Theory was better.
    But that's not the reason for my low score...

Blacklist has more bugs than a rainforest.

- Launching the game, you have to cross your fingers that it won't crash on launch. You have about a 7/10 chance.
    - The loading freezes when first logging on, so the loading time is delayed by 15 secs 1 minute (depending on your computer)
    - You get low FPS. Period. It doesn't matter what your setup is.
    - The online multiplayer is terribly designed. Not the gameplay (arguable), but the general online connectivity and matchmaking system. There is no logical matchmaking. It just throws people together regardless of experience.
    UPlay encourages you to add friends and invite them to your party to play with them. The crappy thing is, you can play with everyone on the internet, except people on your friends list.
    I don't know how Ubisoft could even make that glitch possible... But they did. And they won't fix it.

Ubisoft makes good games, but doesn't give a sh*t about its online community. This is what consoles have over PC.

Ubisoft, stop porting, or at least spend a little more time/attention to your online community and PC games. It's sad that this is consistent. They make PC games because people will buy it hoping for a product that WORKS. But it's just so the company makes money. Giving a half-a**ed product in return.
  55. Sep 18, 2013
    First of all I want to state that I have a pretty high end set-up, so none of the graphical glitches and slowdowns that others have reported effected me in my playthrough.

I found the games graphics to be absolutely stunning on the highest settings, in comparison to the console counterpart. I also played the entire campaign on perfectionist just to see how far I could push myself and I have to say I haven't had such a fun time in ages. With multiple routes through every level and some really tough scenarios I had a great time. I also think the equipment progression is a great incentive to do side-missions.

I had a great time with this title and I hope to help a few people if they're sitting on the fence. Action and stealth fans will find a home hear as both those things are something that SC:Blacklist does expertly.
  56. Oct 27, 2013
    Somewhat good game but terrible PC optimization. The graphics are noticeably very good but I get poor framerates out of the blue especially during multiplayer. The story is very forgettable with undeveloped characters. This game brings back the flair of the original splinter cells but forgets most of it and goes back to conviction gameplay. I went non lethal for all the missions but feltSomewhat good game but terrible PC optimization. The graphics are noticeably very good but I get poor framerates out of the blue especially during multiplayer. The story is very forgettable with undeveloped characters. This game brings back the flair of the original splinter cells but forgets most of it and goes back to conviction gameplay. I went non lethal for all the missions but felt robbed as Sam would always just kill in each of the cutscenes.

Controls are sometimes infuriating and can easily be the death of you. (I played this on realistic) Multiplayer can be fun for an easy 6 hours. Singleplayer seemed like an average time to beat, but then again I was playing on realistic w/ non lethal and died every 10 min.

High production values, low originality, and tries to appeal to a wide audience with its customization. But still unless your looking for this type of gameplay this will not be your cup of tea. Reason for the 6/10 is for all of the PC problems and it's major and minor flaws. This game appeals to many people, as much as it doesn't. Not high replay value wait for it to get cheaper. Good for 20-40 min a day as it comes in bursts.
  57. Nov 24, 2013
    Overall Blacklist is a worthy addition to the Splinter Cell series.

Overall Blacklist is a worthy addition to the Splinter Cell series.

The game will definitely appeal to those that enjoyed the original trilogy (Splinter Cell, Pandora Tomorrow, and Chaos Theory) but found Double Agent and Conviction too different from the norm. The stealth gameplay is back in all its night vision, gadget toting glory with the key difference being much more open environments populated with plentiful enemies.

What holds Blacklist back from being a fantastic Splinter Cell game however can be attributed to five distinct elements...

1. Unfortunately Michael Ironside does not reprise his role as Sam Fisher, and despite the virtually unknown Eric Johnson's earnest attempt at it, Sam just doesn't feel the same. Ironside's voice work carried a unique grittiness and weight to it that spoke volumes to Sam's experiences, hardships, and no-nonsense attitude which Johnson just can't replicate. Johnson's Sam may have worked for a younger, more brash version of the character but it doesn't fly here.

2. *SPOILER* The main antagonist of the game, Majid Sadiq, has all the trappings of a great villain and is perfectly acted by Carlo Rota. Like some of the best spy thriller bad guys he comes off as intelligent and charismatic but also brutal and violently committed to his extreme global/political views. However by the end of the game we see this great character fall to pieces and turn into a whimpering moron, seemingly going against all characterization established in most of the game's story. If the writers believed that the audience would applaud this change as a form of comeuppance or resolution they were sadly wrong.

3. During the course of the game the player is given the option to pursue a number of side missions offered by the game's four supporting characters (Grim, Charlie, Briggs, and Kobin). Grim and Kobin's missions fit perfectly into the game with levels dedicated to being stealthy and carrying out snatch and grab missions and the like. Charlie's on the other hand feel terribly out of place due to them being standard "survive X waves of enemies" and Briggs' tasks are co-op ONLY missions. Out of the two of them I was most disappointed with Briggs' as restricting them to co-op feels a little strange for a singleplayer campaign and not completing them makes you feel like you're missing out on the whole experience. At the risk of sounding like an anti-social room troll, I personally have no interest in playing a game like Blacklist with another human being. In my experience there is nothing that breaks immersion and pace more than doing so.

4. In one of the final levels of the game you end up switching between Sam and Briggs for certain periods of time. For some ungodly reason the developers used this opportunity to completely change the gameplay and force you into a first person shooter version of Splinter Cell when you take control of Briggs. The controls feel clunky, the game clearly wants you to run and gun, and the result of this totally goes against the fact that in the story-line Sam has just come around to respecting Briggs and seeing him as an effective, dependable, and highly skilled agent.

5. While not entirely a negative aspect to the game (i.e. it doesn't necessarily harm the end product) I did find myself wondering: why does this game even exist? Whether you liked Conviction or not the fact remains that that game was a good ending point for Sam Fisher's story. Sure, it may have deviated pretty far from where it all started but the only ones clamoring for a Splinter Cell revival were the most rabid of fanboys who just couldn't let Conviction be the LAST of the series. Match this with the fact that the developer chose to not bring Michael Ironside back and you're left wondering why they even needed to make a new game.

Last but not least, I've seen a couple of user reviews on here giving the game 0s due to the fact that the game was a "crappy port", "terribly optimized", or just "didn't work". Don't get the wrong idea. Obviously there are issues on those users' end but its really not a universal issue with the PC version of the game. My PC is by no means a cutting edge gaming rig (GTX 660, 10 GB, and a horribly outdated 2.5 Ghz processor) but after shifting the game from DirectX 11 to 9 I could run it on nearly maxed settings and get fantastic visual fidelity with butter smooth performance to boost.
  58. Aug 30, 2014
    I cannot get over how awful this game is. This isn't Splinter Cell. This is a cover-based action shooter with some very light stealth thrown in, and a big chunky helping of modern Ubisoft everything-and-the-kitchen-sink design smattered on top.

Sam Fisher has been turned into Commander Shepard. Why do I need to buy upgrades for my ship, which now serves as a hub to access levels from? And why can I now purchase radar and regenerating health boosts? Was the core Splinter Cell gameplay not interesting enough by itself that you had to add a shallow progression system on top of it that effectively allows you to cheat?

Why was Michael Ironside omitted from the game when he is the most important part of Sam Fisher? There is zero charm in the game now. The dialog and cutscenes are dull and the writing is not much better. Sam sounds like a bland 30-year-old now, yet he's supposed to be in his late 50's. And why can old fart Sam climb, run, jump, and attack 10 times faster than he ever could before? Can Viagra do all that?

By the time I reached the Call of Duty-esque on-rails-grainy-camera-shooter sequence I wanted to barf. Why did Ubisoft feel the need to cater to this crowd? Splinter Cell fans never asked for this. Aside from Conviction, which was far better than Blacklist, the franchise has always been about slow, methodical stealth gameplay. Stealth first, action second. You can't even stealth-open doors in Blacklist--you just throw open every one of them like the James Bond wannabee **** you are.

The music is awful as well, taking a little too much inspiration from Battlefield 3's jarring static fest of a soundtrack. Graphically, it's technically impressive, but artistically bland. I don't know about you, but I'm pretty tired of going to Iraq and Afghanistan in my games. Are there not hundreds of other interesting countries one could create a story around?

We've seen it in Hitman: Absolution. We've seen it in Thief 2014. We've even seen it in Deus Ex: Human Revolution: the dumbing down of games to appeal to a "wider audience". Sometimes it works and we get to see a franchise change directions gracefully, but this time they've gone so far from Splinter Cell's roots that it does not feel like a Splinter Cell game. It just doesn't.
  59. Dec 29, 2013
    For me personally, I didn't have a single issue with running the game. It was top-notch stealth action and best in class. Loved every second of it, from the campaign to the return of Spies vs Mercs multiplayer.
  60. Sep 13, 2013
    I really want to like this game, I really do. But there are two jarring things that are repeatedly ruining the experience for me.

1. The controls more often than not do something that I don't want to do and things I don't care about doing. For instance, why do I care about opening a door 5 feet away and why can't I interrupt it? Or how come when I'm pressed against the wall, "pick up enemy gun" takes precedence over "pick up body"? I've had to restart from the last check point because for whatever reason, use decided to do the exact opposite I wanted it to do.

2. Ubisoft for the life of them can't create a working online infrastructure for which to play on. If having yet "another Steam" on top of Steam is bad, then it's the fact that I can't join my friend's game and vice versa. And I'm not alone on this issue. And when Ubisoft's solution to the problem includes "disable all starting programs", I've lost all faith they can even create a multiplayer infrastructure worth beans.

Other than that, the game's great.
  61. Sep 2, 2014
    I like how Splinter Cell is goingback to the roots here. I hope Blacklist was only the beginning, this franchise got a lot of potential and is massive underrated. Go ahead Ubisoft!
  62. Sep 3, 2013
    Certainly the game is better than its previous version.
    Like the most the possibility of passing the mission in quiet mode and in different ways......
  63. Aug 21, 2013
    crummy console port, don't bother. Short campaign, getting a 2 because Spies vs Mercs was pretty well thought out. As a fan of the original two games this is of course a disappointment.
  64. Sep 7, 2013
    I love this game, yes it is similar to conviction and all the SC fans hate that but it doesn't make it a bad game. I like the new 3 playstlye system and I do also like how easy it is to jump into but it has enough elements to learn to not make it stale. I would like to see like weekly levels that pop up in the SMI even if they are just rehashed levels with different enemy patterns or evenI love this game, yes it is similar to conviction and all the SC fans hate that but it doesn't make it a bad game. I like the new 3 playstlye system and I do also like how easy it is to jump into but it has enough elements to learn to not make it stale. I would like to see like weekly levels that pop up in the SMI even if they are just rehashed levels with different enemy patterns or even make the "Gone Dark" missions playable not just a minigame.

The multiplayer is fun but not much more. At this point it does seem to have some balancing issues and doesn't have the same feel as the old one. If you buy the game you may aswell play a couple hours but you most probably wont be playing it for hours.

Overall I love this game so much so I have just started my second playthrough just days after my first. I have yet to play the CO-OP but I have a feeling it will be great.
  65. Dec 3, 2013
    One of the best games of 2013. The choice of STEALTH vs ACTION is warmly welcome. Single player story is one of the strongest with tons of GADGETS and adds a great replay value. The 14 Co-op missions give different tastes. Spy vs Mercs is one of the best multiplayer modes in todays run-and-gun gameplay.Surely worth of your money.
  66. Sep 3, 2013
    here goes.

I could go on how ive played nearly every sc, I wont. from the first couple levels of blacklist I felt already the game was different, controls were snappier, a.i. was more aggressive and deadlier than splinter cell conviction but the overall game didnt feel as polished up. the storyline was a bore, but I wouldnt know too much because I primarily skipped around every
    here goes.

I could go on how ive played nearly every sc, I wont.

the storyline was a bore, but I wouldnt know too much because I primarily skipped around every cutscene, its great they allow this feature because this is a LONG game with LONG cutscenes...I can say for certain I felt pretty uncomfortable with the interrogation scenes as they are pretty brutal compared to previous splinter cell games...the game itself forces you to make some pretty bad decisions like putting a bullet to someones head while watching the person get shot multiple times or impaling a person with a spike until he stops suffocating and dies...brutal, am not sure why they included this in the game you always have the passive decision of letting them live but then you feel as though they got away. they should have figured out a medium in the cutscenes for dealing with the criminal, instead sam fisher seems like the terrorist, he always seems pissed off and short attention spanned unlike the previous actor michael ironside he approached things with more control and intelligence. which reminds me...the acting was terrible and the rehashed sam fisher sounds so unoriginal and cliche...to bad.

as for the game itself. the cat and mouse gameplay was great, there were some challenging levels where you had to think twice on how to approach a level. lots of replay ability in this game i could tell.

could not play multiplayer because i had downloaded the pirate version. but am thinking of buying the game for replaying the levels and multiplayer itself.

there are a ton of gadgets and gizmos not to mention arsenal of weapons like sc3000 returning, different ways to customize them with acogs to redots. the guns seem pretty balanced and well thought out. as well as customize sam's suit, goggles,
  67. Nov 16, 2013
    Being an old Chaos Theory junkie I must say Blacklist is a breath of fresh air for the franchise. Fisher is back where he needs to be, in the dark! Definitely a game worth playing, and has a replay value on different difficulties. Multi-player could use a tweak or two, but I enjoyed the entire Blacklist experience.
  68. Sep 9, 2013
    This game is a major hit in for the PC genre. Its even better than the Xbox 360. The gameplay and the game mechanics for the pc are amazing. The controls are well defined and easy to master.The levels are challenging. The graphics are obviously 2 times better than of Splinter Cell Conviction. This game beats its in most of the aspects of the game series.
  69. Sep 4, 2013
    the best stealth game of the last 5 years and defiantly one of the best games of the years. splinter cell continues to be one of the best gaming experiences out there.
  70. Sep 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The multiplayer is an incredible disappointment and Uplay should just cease to exist at all, especially for a game purchased on Steam. Ubisoft makes good attempts at stealth multiplayer that are all ruined by this Uplay. Prop Hunt has more intelligent steath gameplay than this garbage. Spoilers: Alex will never have me. Expand
  71. Aug 27, 2013
    Enjoted blacklist very much! Levels design are so awesome, its on same level as deus ex for me. Perfect stealth gameplay. The music and sound are very good. Sam really look cool, like true commander, all hes moves and stuf like that make him looks as real soldier. When playing this game its similar to watch some really nice military movie. Game looks very good on ultra, but no 16:10 support?
  72. Sep 4, 2013
    Update crashed this game and disbalance on multiplayer. I want to play this on multiplayer and I played this. VS 50 lvls guys on TRAINING MODE, training mode for beginners, not for 50 lvl guys!
  73. Jan 6, 2014
    I was turned off by the first mandatory tutorial mission but as soon as i got passed this and started mastering the controls, i really enjoyed the story and gameplay. I'm not a die hard fan of the series, i've only played conviction before this. All i can say is it's really well done and polished. Some level are really challenging and can be frustrating but in the end, it's very addictive.I was turned off by the first mandatory tutorial mission but as soon as i got passed this and started mastering the controls, i really enjoyed the story and gameplay. I'm not a die hard fan of the series, i've only played conviction before this. All i can say is it's really well done and polished. Some level are really challenging and can be frustrating but in the end, it's very addictive. Well done. Loved it. Expand
  74. Sep 17, 2013
    i really can't understand why people are giving this game a bad score this is a great no i think this is the best splinter cell game ever people say it's like call of duty and so why it isn't like that at all unlike conviction there is no action in this game at all except for one mission one mission from over 25 missions is action you get amazing gadgets amazing graphics andi really can't understand why people are giving this game a bad score this is a great no i think this is the best splinter cell game ever people say it's like call of duty and so why it isn't like that at all unlike conviction there is no action in this game at all except for one mission one mission from over 25 missions is action you get amazing gadgets amazing graphics and outstanding atmosphere just play the game and then be honest and say you're opinion don't be a troller and support the developers Expand
  75. Aug 18, 2014
    Don't waste your time or your money that's all I have to say..........................................................................................
  76. Sep 13, 2013
    A fine return to form for Splinter Cell.
    A fine return to form for Splinter Cell.
    I was super mad when Ironside got replaced as Sam Fisher, but I honestly quit caring about an hour into the game because the gameplay was so damn good (the story was enthralling as well). The story was well paced and kept me playing for hours at a time. The side missions are very entertaining as well (especially Kobin's missions where you have to eliminate whole swaths of enemies without being detected).
    I chose to play most missions either ghost or panther style which excluding a few setpiece moments is a very viable option. There are lots of nooks and crannies to explore (pipes to climb, vents to hide in, sewers to crawl through) as either style. Conviction was a fun game, but didn't have quite as much stealth as Splinter Cell fans wanted. This game does. The melee kills/knockouts are really fun (like always) and the new killing in motion concept was pretty damn cool.
    TLDR: It was polished, controls really well, told a great story, and scratches a stealth junkie's itch. Uplay is kind of and I had some troubles with it, but I turned it to offline mode and no problems since.
  77. Sep 13, 2013
    Even thou pretty much everything what Ubisoft released since AC3 was really bad and crappy, SC Blacklist was indeed a good game, therefore i barely understand the lots of negative userscore on this one. Comparing SC Blacklist with SC Convicton the maps and gamemodes are way better now. Pretty much as Ubi did with every release since AC3 they kinda screwed the controls, they where betterEven thou pretty much everything what Ubisoft released since AC3 was really bad and crappy, SC Blacklist was indeed a good game, therefore i barely understand the lots of negative userscore on this one. Comparing SC Blacklist with SC Convicton the maps and gamemodes are way better now. Pretty much as Ubi did with every release since AC3 they kinda screwed the controls, they where better in SC Conviction, however the survival game modes are nice, pure stealth maps, and there is lots to play with it, if they release any good DLC s for it i ll get it. So afterall i am surprised that Ubi is still able to release good games, to be honest i didnt expect it anymore from Ubi. The 8 out of 10 is for the screwed controls, and for the still insane amount of bugs they have within the game. Also the Ubi rewards for that game are rather stupid then usefull. Expand
  78. Sep 12, 2013
    A great addition to the series and in my opinion probably the best one. The graphics are great, controls are solid, gameplay is fluid and challenging and the multiplayer (Coop and Versus) is a nice bonus to keep you playing after completing the awesome campaign. Ignore the "hurr hurr dis is a shooter, thes es nert splernter cerl" comments, the game NEVER forces you to play a certain way,A great addition to the series and in my opinion probably the best one. The graphics are great, controls are solid, gameplay is fluid and challenging and the multiplayer (Coop and Versus) is a nice bonus to keep you playing after completing the awesome campaign. Ignore the "hurr hurr dis is a shooter, thes es nert splernter cerl" comments, the game NEVER forces you to play a certain way, all missions can be done YOUR way (lethal, non-lethal, avoid enemies completely, go all assault etc). Only thing that changed is that playing offensively is now a valid playstyle (playing stealthily will still award you a higher score). Also, for those who are concerned about the new voice actor for Sam: he does a great job (he fits Sam even better than Ironside in my opinion). Get over it and move on. This. Is. Splinter Cell. Expand
  79. Sep 12, 2013
    This game may be the best game in the year of 2013,and i think it is. I spent two whole night in a row trying to finish all 4E task in ghost and panther model of perfect .blacklist is really an excited game with too much fun ,not only difficulty.
  80. Aug 31, 2013
    It was a good story, side missions were good, only the future waves of enemies did not like. The interrogation was lacking, but at least they were making.
  81. Aug 27, 2013
    phenomenal game front to back. Blends old stealth techniques from previous titles in the series with a fair amount of action making it a seriously awesome title. Don't miss it!
  82. Aug 21, 2013
    Ok, it's a console port, I get that. Now, if you want to provide constructive criticism, find something else to rant about as there's more to games than just graphics quality. Otherwise, you are just whining.

I've played only 2 hours of the campaign so far, and I'm not disappointed. Controls are a little challenging at first, but you quickly get used to them. It's light-years ahead of Conviction and Double Agent in terms of gameplay: you can choose how to complete your missions: guns blazing, stealth, non-lethal; they are all fun to play.

I've paid $60 for this game; it's worth every penny!
  83. Aug 31, 2013
    I honestly don't understand "fanboys" who say that this is Conviction 2.0. Set your difficulty to at least realistic and bricks. That's what you should do if you're real fan of original SC. Yes, it does have some points from Conviction, but in it's core it is definitely old Splinter Cell. Like IGN said, it's the best in series since Chaos Theory. I really liked Conviction, it was a breathI honestly don't understand "fanboys" who say that this is Conviction 2.0. Set your difficulty to at least realistic and bricks. That's what you should do if you're real fan of original SC. Yes, it does have some points from Conviction, but in it's core it is definitely old Splinter Cell. Like IGN said, it's the best in series since Chaos Theory. I really liked Conviction, it was a breath of fresh air, and keeping a little bit of it in Blacklist was certainly a good idea.
    P.S. Still whining about Uplay? Meh.
  84. Aug 26, 2013
    The game-play is good, I really like the story. The graphics are fantastic dx-11 the engine is well optimize, the audio, control good too, I found no issue with this game, by now...
    This game is fun to play so 9/10 for me
  85. Aug 24, 2013
    Finaly splinter cell is back. If you are a stealth fan play it in "perfectionist" mode. You will love it.
    Best "modern" splinter cell of the serie, we can not disagree with this.
  86. Oct 16, 2013
    Welp, I made an account just so I can write this review.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist impressed me in a way I couldn't believe. The general consensus of the "positive" reviews seems to be that this is an ample mix between the fast paced action of conviction, and the strategy of its predecessors. If you are looking to play a game like chaos theory, go play chaos theory! Ubisoft cannot
    Welp, I made an account just so I can write this review.

If you are looking to play a game like chaos theory, go play chaos theory!

Ubisoft cannot continue to release the same product over and over again. They chose to take the series in a different direction, and they have done a great job doing so. The story is intricate yet understandable, the gameplay is incredibly smooth, and the graphics look beautiful, unlike anything I've seen for a long time. If the game crashes for you, update your video driver... Worked for me on my gtx 670. Other than that, it's incredibly smooth and seemed very well optimized to me.

I've been a longtime fan of the splinter cell series. I've played every game, and enjoyed the hell out of them. Needless to say, when this came out, I had to buy it. I was not disappointed

TL;DR

Pros:
    Beautiful graphics
    Smooth Gameplay
    Driven storyline
    Tons of unique weapons/gadgets
    Coop

Meh:
    Multiplayer

Cons:
    Not the same game as Chaos Theory
    Ironside isn't the voice actor

Try it out!
  87. Dec 9, 2013
    As a huge Splinter Cell fan, I wasn't the least bit disappointed. After multiple play-throughs of Chaos Theory/Conviction over the years, it took me awhile to get used to the new controls on SC:BL, but I actually ended up liking them quite a bit by the end. I did find it almost a little too easy to get all of my gear maxed out, especially since I "Ghost"ed through the entire game, butAs a huge Splinter Cell fan, I wasn't the least bit disappointed. After multiple play-throughs of Chaos Theory/Conviction over the years, it took me awhile to get used to the new controls on SC:BL, but I actually ended up liking them quite a bit by the end. I did find it almost a little too easy to get all of my gear maxed out, especially since I "Ghost"ed through the entire game, but found it sufficiently, almost frustratingly challenging at points.

I thought the story was movie-quality and gave Grim more of a role than just a voice through a sub-dermal radio. Overall, the single-player was 100% satisfying. Obviously it would be nice to have more DLC, but hey, I'm pretty happy with how the game is as is.

Multiplayer was fun for a bit, but didn't really have much staying power for myself. Co-op missions were definitely worthwhile though, albeit a little limited in how many levels there were.

Can't say enough good things about this game, pick it up!
  88. Aug 21, 2013
    This game is a definite step in the right direction, tons of fun, and the graphics look great maxed out. Of course you get the idiots who rate the game a 0 because their hardware isn't good enough, or they have no idea how to use a computer.
  89. Aug 27, 2013
    Brilliant gameplay, awesome controls (screw haters, blame yourselves for being BAD), ok graphics. Didn't like the new voice of Sam but I'm still gonna give it a 10 because of morons giving it a ZERO (really? zero? go kill yourselves)
  90. Aug 28, 2013
    Finally, a Splinter Cell game that satiates the desires of fans that love the "stealth" legacy that is apart of this game. The campaign is amazing, and there are so many avenues to complete a mission; plus, the enemies never take the same path twice, so it makes replaying a mission purposefully or by accident, much more enjoyable. Overall the co-op modes, ranking system, and just plainFinally, a Splinter Cell game that satiates the desires of fans that love the "stealth" legacy that is apart of this game. The campaign is amazing, and there are so many avenues to complete a mission; plus, the enemies never take the same path twice, so it makes replaying a mission purposefully or by accident, much more enjoyable. Overall the co-op modes, ranking system, and just plain entertainment value of this mandates that I give it a 10!

Fans of Splinter Cell games will love this!
  91. Aug 21, 2013
    Most of the Negative Reviews I've read are people complaining they couldn't even run it or complaining in general because PC Gamers tend to whine too much. This is my first review on here and I felt I needed to give an honest opinion about the game based on a couple of hours that I've played. I've been a life long Splinter Cell fan since the original. The only one I didn't play was DoubleMost of the Negative Reviews I've read are people complaining they couldn't even run it or complaining in general because PC Gamers tend to whine too much. This is my first review on here and I felt I needed to give an honest opinion about the game based on a couple of hours that I've played. I've been a life long Splinter Cell fan since the original. The only one I didn't play was Double Agent. With that being said this game is no Chaos Theory but it is also no Conviction. It takes bits and pieces of each game and instead tries to do something different and it actually works. Graphics on MAX Settings look great, I kept hearing about how the graphics were bad based on reviews but that was for consoles, you can't complain about the graphics they are miles ahead from Consoles (should be assumed). The way Blacklist's UI is set up is similar to Mass Effect. You have your Command Center and you can upgrade many things. I was overwhelmed at how many things I could upgrade, in a good way. You can have custom loadouts for Sam Fisher ranging from his gear to his body armor. Controls have a bit of a learning curve. I actually had an easier time adjusting to it than I previously had with Conviction. Mark and Execute (If you use it are set to ALT & CTRL). Whether you choose to use it or not it is there. I just binded these keys to Mouse 4 & 5 which was more convenient for me WHEN I used it, which was rarely. As I mentioned this game lets you play how YOU want to play. Wether is go in buns blazing or just good ol' Sam Fisher Style, you can toggle between Lethal and Non-Lethal weapons easily. I haven't tried how the controls feel on a gamepad but PC Controls are decent with minor complaints. The story is average, nothing to great. Sometimes it feels a bit cheesy. Voice acting was decent as well. Although I do miss Ironside Eric Johnson does a good job. Haven't had the chance to play multiplayer and co-op since my friends and I have been working and when we are not we are playing Single Player! However, I would recommend this game.

Controls: 8/10
    Story: 7/10
    Graphics: 8/10
    Gameplay:9/10
  92. Aug 23, 2013
    I don`t think is that bad, btw, I think it`s great.
    The role in this game is pretty different from the other Splinter Cell series. The bad part in Conviction was about to be forced to kill your enemies, what does not (well, not usually) in Blacklist. You can play as a Ghost, stealthy and agile, or play as a Phanter, also stealthy bt deadly or as a CoD player (Assault).
    I agree when ppl
    I don`t think is that bad, btw, I think it`s great.
    I agree when ppl say "This is not as the classic SC games". Yeah, you`re right, this is another game with another history, and it fits perfectly.
  93. Aug 22, 2013
    Single Player is well paced and it's enough to keep you interested without boring you. But truly, the greatest part of this game is the online Spies vs Mercs is amazing. It's very intense and plays great. It's similar to playing Counter-Strike competitive, in that you have to work with your team and when the Spies are hacking a station, it's super intense and fun. Worth playing if youSingle Player is well paced and it's enough to keep you interested without boring you. But truly, the greatest part of this game is the online Spies vs Mercs is amazing. It's very intense and plays great. It's similar to playing Counter-Strike competitive, in that you have to work with your team and when the Spies are hacking a station, it's super intense and fun. Worth playing if you are looking for something better than COD and less serious than CS. Expand
  94. Sep 13, 2013
    I must admit I'm new to the franchise so I didn't expect much and yet the game managed to disappoint in almost every aspect. I don't know where to begin! The actual Installation process itself was a pain in the ass! You had to manually update all patches (which would be okay if the game wouldn't require Uplay) I mean where is the point in selling a game over a Downloadplattform when youI must admit I'm new to the franchise so I didn't expect much and yet the game managed to disappoint in almost every aspect. I don't know where to begin! The actual Installation process itself was a pain in the ass! You had to manually update all patches (which would be okay if the game wouldn't require Uplay) I mean where is the point in selling a game over a Downloadplattform when you still have to install everything manually?! The Game has so many issues that, even now after 2 major patches, it is barely playable. The game crashes frequently (especially when you run it in DX11), the graphics are way below average yet the game has random frameratedrops for no apparent reason. And the gameplay especially in coop is just horrible. The controlls are totally up 50% of the time you end up dying its because of the clunky and glitchy controls. There are so many bugs and glitches like: enemies moving without animation, entering an area after a cutscene and falling through the floor, enemies detecting you through the floor or walls, enemies killing you after a succesfull melee animation. You'll end up restarting most of your coop games due to some gamebreaking glitch. The multiplayer is horrid the skins and modells in mp look like a cheap sourcemod and the matchmaking is just broken. The game really has potential and could be fun if it wasn't for the cheap and rushed realisation. I can not recommend buying this game in the state it is in- and i doubt it'll be fixed anytime soon or at all for that matter.... Expand
  95. Aug 23, 2013
    This game is being way over rated by people. Seriously how can you give it a 10 just from the fact Michael Ironside isn't Sam anymore. Thats a massive downer. I played through then entire campaign and the Sam Fisher in the game still doesn't seem like Sam Fisher to me anymore at all. -2 for that and -1 for there being only 1 good multiplayer game mode. Spy vs merc classic. All the otherThis game is being way over rated by people. Seriously how can you give it a 10 just from the fact Michael Ironside isn't Sam anymore. Thats a massive downer. I played through then entire campaign and the Sam Fisher in the game still doesn't seem like Sam Fisher to me anymore at all. -2 for that and -1 for there being only 1 good multiplayer game mode. Spy vs merc classic. All the other game modes are already dead. You can wait a good 15 min in the lobby and no one joins. Also the fact that 4v4 seems like way to many players for the size of the maps. Other then that complaining right there its still an amazing game. The way i rate games is their worth. Is it worth $60? No. But i would snatch it up on a steam sale for 39.99 or less in a heartbeat. Expand
  96. Sep 1, 2013
    Single player:
    Solid story, good graphics. The missions are mostly fun and there is a lot variation between the stages.
    Coop: I played the missions with my brother on realistic using team speak. We had a lot of fun even though we died a lot at first. Multi player: This is the most fun I've had with playing competitive matches in a long time. At first, there are a lot of gadgets and
    Single player:
    Coop:
    Multi player: This is the most fun I've had with playing competitive matches in a long time. At first, there are a lot of gadgets and weapons to unlock. Unfortunately, it doesn't take too long to unlock almost everything because the amount of money given after each mission (SP, Coop and MP) is too high.
    The matches per se are thrilling and fun.
    A few negative aspects though: Firstly, the game is full of little glitches. They don't really bother me and should be fixed pretty soon. Secondly, we encountered a lot of disconnects and crashes during the Spies vs Mercs matches. This on the other hand was annoying and frustrating.
    All in all I can only recommend this game since it is in my eyes a great package of solo, coop and multiplayer game.
  97. Oct 6, 2013
    This is my first Splinter Cell game and for sure not the last one. I love it. There is so much stuff in this game... Campaign itself is long and big enough, but you have plenty of side missions you can play solo or in coop. Some very easy, some extremely hard even on normal difficulty. Animations, gameplay, locations, music and details level are very, very good. There is high replay valueThis is my first Splinter Cell game and for sure not the last one. I love it. There is so much stuff in this game... Campaign itself is long and big enough, but you have plenty of side missions you can play solo or in coop. Some very easy, some extremely hard even on normal difficulty. Animations, gameplay, locations, music and details level are very, very good. There is high replay value for each mission, cause you can play it in 3 different ways. Mastering your skills and weapons for sure many people will play it again to get better score. Coop missions are awesome, multiplayer is little hard for me due very quick dying, but can be that it will change when i get used to it, didn`t play MP much yet. Didn`t have too much problems with optimizing PC version. Sometimes i have sound issues but restart solves the problem and i had graphics problems, but these were caused by old drivers. After updating it everything works fine. Recommend this game to everyone Expand
  98. Nov 23, 2013
    Have you ever played one of those 'stealth' games where as long as you don't stand directly in front of the enemy they can't see you.
    Well, Blacklist isn't one of those games. The AI is fantastic. And taking down multiple guys without getting spotted is quite thrilling.
    My main gripes with Conviction is that it seemed to be a corridor shooter with stealth elements added afterwards and the game seemed to want you to do anything but go stealthy. The latter has been addressed, but there are still quite a few moments where you'll be doing distinctly non-stealth related activities.
    Overall a very enjoyable game.
  99. Sep 3, 2013
    Many hardcore Splinter cell fans would not have liked Conviction because it favored more combat style play than stealth. Even though Blacklist still has some main features of conviction, it has brought back the classic stealth options which made chaos theory one of the best stealth games ever, along with some new gadgets, scoring style which are good. You can play whichever way you wantMany hardcore Splinter cell fans would not have liked Conviction because it favored more combat style play than stealth. Even though Blacklist still has some main features of conviction, it has brought back the classic stealth options which made chaos theory one of the best stealth games ever, along with some new gadgets, scoring style which are good. You can play whichever way you want to, you can kill everyone (assault style), you can stealthily dispose enemies(panther style) or you can complete the whole game without killing even one person(ghost style), which obviously, will be the toughest. You will be rewarded for any style of play you choose. The game also has some good improvements to its predecessors in gameplay, number of levels(Conviction was incredibly short).You'll be able to complete the whole game in about 16 hours which is much better than conviction which was just about 6 hrs.

The main issue in blacklist is the graphics which are poor compared to the current benchmark of graphics for games, and the voice acting.

Overall the game is very good, and hardcore splinter cell fans along with new gamers will enjoy this game. The Spies Vs Mercs multiplayer is back and it is absolute fun.
  100. Sep 13, 2013
    Great sequel for a great game. Clearly this game beats up its successor Splinter Cell Conviction. The graphics are very good. The game mechanics are advanced, well defined and amazing. The gameplay is good. The storyline is nice. That's all i have to say. Great game. Deservedly 10 out of 10.
  101. Sep 19, 2013
    Esta es una crítica SUBJETIVA tras haber finalizado el juego.

LO BUENO: los diversos gadgets de los que Sam tiene que hacer uso a lo largo del juego, el sistema de mejoras para el Paladín/equipo y ciertas situaciones que te hacen recordar buenos momentos de sus antecesores. LO MALO: puede resultar fácil incluso en niveles avanzados de dificultad, quizá más corto que los anteriores.
    Esta es una crítica SUBJETIVA tras haber finalizado el juego.

No aporta gran cosa a la franquicia y seguramente hay otros mejores dentro de ella, pero eso no quiere decir que haya sido mal juego, al contrario, Splinter Cell: Blacklist ha sabido cumplir (como no hacía desde hace un tiempo) con un juego con el que te sientes estar en la piel de un agente secreto. Habiendo varios estilos de juego para acabar cada una de las misiones, toda acción será importante, pues el jugador será recompensado con puntos en función del método escogido para acabar las misma; dichos puntos podrán emplearse en mejoras para el avión (centro de operaciones) o el equipo. Además el jugador tendrá a su disposición misiones secundarias (tanto para uno como dos jugadores) con las que conseguir más puntos o simplemente pasar un buen rato (personalmente a mí no me han llamado tanto la atención pero pueden ser divertidas para los que quieran jugar en compañía). Eso es lo único nuevo que aportas el juego (las misiones y las mejoras).

En definitiva, Splinter Cell: Blacklist es un juego que te gustará tener (si no ahora, cuando se rebaje el precio) si te gusta la saga en general y que sin ser mejor que Chaos Theory o Pandora Tomorrow tampoco se queda muy por detrás.

*NO HE PROBADO EL MODO COOPERATIVO Y POR LO TANTO NO HABLO DE ÉL
    *LOS PROBLEMAS DE LA VERSIÓN DE PC EXPERIMENTADOS POR OTROS JUGADORES YO NO LOS HE TENIDO.

1. Jan 22, 2014
    With Conviction, the Splinter Cell series seemed to be veering off course, but Blacklist thankfully grabs the wheel and gets it back on track.
  2. Dec 12, 2013
    Splinter Cell Blacklist is one of the better entries in the long lived spy-saga. It offers great gameplay choices and sneaking is heavily rewarded. On top of that the multiplayer is also confidently crafted. The one thing lacking is the banal story with flat characterization that hinders Splinter Cell Blacklist from reaching any narrative high points.
  3. Sep 25, 2013
    Though it lacks the subdued intelligence of Chaos Theory, there's still some cracking good sneaking to be had. [Oct 2013, p.92]