Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory PC

8.8

1. MikeIm
    Apr 2, 2005
    The best of the series so far. All three parts (Single Player, Cooperative, Spies vs Mercenaries) could have been their own game - they are all that good. This is a MUST HAVE game.
  2. Chimp
    Jun 7, 2005
    Simply amazing. the single player graphics are incredible, and the loading times are about 5 seconds. the single player is better too, not just because of the graphics, it has been improved in almost every way, definitely gameplay wise too. one particular feature i like is the native tongue voices. in pandora tomorrow every guard has the same exact voice(i think, there may be one or twoSimply amazing. the single player graphics are incredible, and the loading times are about 5 seconds. the single player is better too, not just because of the graphics, it has been improved in almost every way, definitely gameplay wise too. one particular feature i like is the native tongue voices. in pandora tomorrow every guard has the same exact voice(i think, there may be one or two variations but its all basically the same), in this thehy speak their real language and when its in english they say more realistic things too. there are some new moves, and multiple paths through levels. the dialogue is better, and they have removed the most annoying thing about the previous SC games..the 3 alarm game over system! also i get an amazing framerate with everything maxed except shader on 1.1(everything else maxed, 4xAA). the multiplayer is really good too, even though it is very similar to pandora tomorrows(in case you didnt know the graphics in multiplayer are much worse than the single player graphics, but the games are usually lag free and never have framerate issues). my only complaint is that i havent been able to play co-op yet, i cant join any games but i havent really looked into this and im sure i can figure it out. also the in game advertising......wtf? it was pretty ridiculous with the sony erricson phones in pandora but every computers screensaver is for the movie war of the worlds(sigh.....) but that is very minor and doesnt get in the way of anything. the best game so far this year. Expand
  3. KarlD.
    Mar 30, 2005
    Absolutely brilliant! The best of the series yet. Great solo mode and multiplayer is simply awesomeand addictive. This game looks just great and the new gameplay tweaks makes it a lot more fun to play. Full marks!
  4. VoidMain
    Apr 2, 2005
    This game is the best game I have ever played. I know it's sounds cliched but it's true, although I don't have a good enoug internet connection for the multiplayer :( the single player is enough to keep a player going. I give it 1000/10
  5. SparH.
    Jun 29, 2005
    Sure there is some bugs in it, what software doesn't have bugs? It is a great game though, one definitely worth buying, the most important part of course is great gameplay single and multi player, a shame about a biggish patch though.
  6. ChrisB.
    Jul 5, 2005
    I love the single player, but i cant get the bloody coop and mulitplayer to work because it wont accept my cd key -_-.
  7. GuessWho?
    May 9, 2006
    Everyone, Please ignore this "Ryan J." He apparently has a bad taste for good games (no offense "Ryan"), but then again I suppose you cant make everyone happy these days. Anyways, on to my review. :)

The gameplay is pretty good, though it seems to start slow in the beginning. The levels were taken good care of in the design/layout department. The graphics are really good, though you need a pretty decent computer to enjoy the game in its full graphical glory. All in all, this game is a blast.
  8. MattW
    Sep 5, 2009
    This is one of the few games that makes you say wow that was awsome.
  9. ChrisS
    Jan 4, 2010
    Truly one of the greatest games ever made. Six years after its release, people are still spy vs. merc'ing!
  10. PatrickO.
    Mar 29, 2005
    This game rocks!!!! Something for everyone!
  11. JohnS.
    Apr 20, 2005
    Having only played the single player i can only comment on that. Basically if you liked the first SC formula then this game is for you. Not a great deal is different but everything is better. Better graphics, sound, dialogue and less linearity in missions. Bigger mission maps also. If it aint broke dont fix it. Yes occasioanl bug appears but nothing critical. The Game absolutely drips Having only played the single player i can only comment on that. Basically if you liked the first SC formula then this game is for you. Not a great deal is different but everything is better. Better graphics, sound, dialogue and less linearity in missions. Bigger mission maps also. If it aint broke dont fix it. Yes occasioanl bug appears but nothing critical. The Game absolutely drips quality. Anything which the multiplayer section adds i regard as a bonus. Top marks all round for the best stealth pc game on the market. Expand
  12. JacobH.
    May 9, 2005
    It is a very good game
  13. JosephP.
    Oct 27, 2009
    One of the best Splinter Cell games in the franchise. The graphics are unbelievable, the voice acting is quite good and humorous, and the gameplay is flawless. Overall, due to the game being on Steam without having to worry about a scratched a corrupt disc, makes this game the best of all.
  14. MatthieuR.
    Apr 24, 2005
    Hey whoever is writing the reviews as Ryan J. and Nate B.: you are entitled to voice your opinion, but only once, so enough of the double posting. [Ed: 2nd post deleted....] This game is phenomenal. I can see why the attention deficit crowd would call this boring, since this game requires patience and skill. Well worth your money.
  15. DaleF.
    Apr 27, 2005
    AWESOME single player, one of the best single player games ever. Versus, while updated SLIGHTLY in technical aspects, is actually a bit lacking in gameplay compared to Pandora Tomorrow. Alot of the new additions end up taking away from the fun, and the maps just don't do it for me. Coop just plain doesn't work. I've been waiting for a patch, and one finally came out AWESOME single player, one of the best single player games ever. Versus, while updated SLIGHTLY in technical aspects, is actually a bit lacking in gameplay compared to Pandora Tomorrow. Alot of the new additions end up taking away from the fun, and the maps just don't do it for me. Coop just plain doesn't work. I've been waiting for a patch, and one finally came out claiming to fix coop... Still doesn't work. But the single player is worth your money alone, so go buy it. Expand
  16. PrestonJ.
    Feb 12, 2007
    Stellar graphics, amazing coop, fun and replayable single player, spy vs merc online great with a good team, great gameplay mechanics.
  17. [anonymous]
    Aug 29, 2009
    one of the best games :-). you can play in so many ways and i played them all and i loved it.
  18. BFH
    Dec 23, 2009
    Gameplay was solid and AI was nice but somewhat predictable. I must say though the multiplayer is AMAZING, though sadly it is only limited to 4 players max. But the fact that you can pit 2 spies (3rd person) against 2 mercenaries (1st person) yet have it balance out very evenly is facinating and fun :D Hope Conviction brings the same multiplayer.
  19. MKokkalis
    Dec 26, 2009
    WoW ! For a game that came out in 2005, it beats the hell out of some new ones in 2009. The graphics are awesome, same with the animation. The environment is awesome ! You can shoot out any light you please, making the stealth factor go way up. The ability to use your knife to cut a hole in a tent and enter through it so you can sneak up on someone is amazing. You use your mouse wheel to WoW ! For a game that came out in 2005, it beats the hell out of some new ones in 2009. The graphics are awesome, same with the animation. The environment is awesome ! You can shoot out any light you please, making the stealth factor go way up. The ability to use your knife to cut a hole in a tent and enter through it so you can sneak up on someone is amazing. You use your mouse wheel to increase or decrease your movement speed, which results in quieter or louder movement noise. All in all i'm very pleased with the game, and especially at such a cheat price of $5.00 ! Expand
  20. Aug 17, 2010
    I own this game for both pc and xbox. The multilayer concept and style of gameplay will keep this game among my few favorites. Sadly conviction was overseen by a baboon and the series has ended with a big fat epic fail. There will never be another game like this.
  21. Aug 4, 2011
    Probably the best stealth game i have ever played and this is 6 years after the games release. The game looks great but where this game stands out is in the game play, it allows one to play the game the way one wants to and allows one to choose different options to get objectives done and send people into the next dimension or just knock them out, although this game is most rewarding whenProbably the best stealth game i have ever played and this is 6 years after the games release. The game looks great but where this game stands out is in the game play, it allows one to play the game the way one wants to and allows one to choose different options to get objectives done and send people into the next dimension or just knock them out, although this game is most rewarding when you stick to being stealthy.The game also has quite a bit of humor and will keep you grinning at certain points in the game("Did you hear about the new Prince of Persia..."). The downside of the game is quite simply the music which was nothing special and the story while being epic had a very un-epic ending. Overall a really good quality lengthy game.8.8/10. Expand
  22. May 12, 2011
    SC Chaos Theory is Great in almost every way! The Graphics/effects are good enough for me, and performance is perfect on a E6600 + 9600GT. I really can't think of any big problems with this one, just that sometimes the Enemy AI can get a little glitchy and the enemies taunts(talking) can get sort of annoying and kinda' foolish... also an enemy's head's turning-angle can turn around tooSC Chaos Theory is Great in almost every way! The Graphics/effects are good enough for me, and performance is perfect on a E6600 + 9600GT. I really can't think of any big problems with this one, just that sometimes the Enemy AI can get a little glitchy and the enemies taunts(talking) can get sort of annoying and kinda' foolish... also an enemy's head's turning-angle can turn around too much, sort of like an owls head, LOL... Despite the imperfections, this is my favorite of all of the SC games so far!! I just wish UBI would have designed SC-Conviction more like Chaos Theory, especially the controls and overall gameplay. Expand
  23. Apr 13, 2011
    Easily the best installment of the Splinter Cell series, the game play is stealthy, tactical, and just plain satisfying. This isn't a mindless, fast paced stealth action game like Conviction, Chaos Theory is the very essence of the Splinter Cell franchise. Even if your having problems with multiplayer, the single player experience is still easily worth the money, which currently costs $10Easily the best installment of the Splinter Cell series, the game play is stealthy, tactical, and just plain satisfying. This isn't a mindless, fast paced stealth action game like Conviction, Chaos Theory is the very essence of the Splinter Cell franchise. Even if your having problems with multiplayer, the single player experience is still easily worth the money, which currently costs $10 on Steam. Easily the greatest stealth game ever created! Expand
  24. Aug 20, 2011
    I missed the boat when this game first came out, but i recently picked it up for the PC and i was absolutely stunned by how great it looked. Game play is solid when the AI isnt being brainless or clairvoyant. Story is what you'd expect from Clancy. Other than that highly recommended!
  25. Sep 22, 2011
    What can I say, I've got a hardon for this particular brand of realistic gameplay. Also why I find Counter-Strike such a disappointing and disgusting phenomenon. Ah well, back to Sam Fisher. Splinter Cell was one of the greats, and Chaos Theory, the third one in the series, just takes everything from Splinter Cell and makes it better. Better weapon mechanics, better graphics, betterWhat can I say, I've got a hardon for this particular brand of realistic gameplay. Also why I find Counter-Strike such a disappointing and disgusting phenomenon. Ah well, back to Sam Fisher. Splinter Cell was one of the greats, and Chaos Theory, the third one in the series, just takes everything from Splinter Cell and makes it better. Better weapon mechanics, better graphics, better lighting, better enemy AI, better level design, and holy **** they added a knife for Sam! Truly, the most important addition to any series, ever. Slicing someone's throat open from the side with it is one of the most satisfying moves in gaming. Chaos Theory is also superior in its addition of a fantastic co-op mode online. Instead of sneaking around by yourself, you could actually sneak around and perform stealth knockouts with a teammate. While limited to four levels, it was not a thoughtless addition and provided some genuinely exciting and tense action. While not anywhere near as cinematic or annoyingly labored with its storytelling as the Metal Gear Series, Splinter Cell is the superior stealth genre series in my humble opinion. PS: don't get SC Double Agent, it's a buggy mess on the PC. Expand
  26. Mar 12, 2012
    an absolutely fantastic game.levels are well designed.i have played this game thrice and havent got bored of it.this game is best of the series.if you like stealth game then try this and thief series.both are epic.
  27. Jun 23, 2012
    absolutley wonderful

a+ for graphical settings

still pretty +shadows work at the bat, no tweaking needed

fun fun fun fun funfun best best best splinter cell
  28. Jul 30, 2012
    Great Game, great story and great graphics. This game together with Hitman is one of the BEST single player games of its Era. Much like Half life, it changed alot of things on the Market, a Modern Tomb Raider if you will. +10!
  29. Apr 8, 2013
    The original Splinter Cell is a good game. Ubisoft has managed to turn it into a great game in this second installment. I played only the single player and enjoyed every moment. The mechanics are great, the story and voice acting are quite good this time and the humor is awesome. The graphics, especially when pushed to their limit are incredible for the 2005 release. The one issue isThe original Splinter Cell is a good game. Ubisoft has managed to turn it into a great game in this second installment. I played only the single player and enjoyed every moment. The mechanics are great, the story and voice acting are quite good this time and the humor is awesome. The graphics, especially when pushed to their limit are incredible for the 2005 release. The one issue is the near clairvoyant ability of the AI. I would do and change NOTHING and slip past a guard and they would look at the door I just closed and say "somethings wrong here...." and go on alert. Other than that this is a very solid game 8 years after its original release. Expand
  30. Sep 20, 2012
    First, straight off the bat, I'd like to say, GREATEST Splinter Cell game in the entire series. I mean, bravo, 2 thumbs up. Gameplay is very organized and not too tweaked around like the later games. Story line was exceptional. Running on a very good computer, this game rarely has any glitches or bugs, so, good job Ubisoft. The co-op portion is possibly the best part about Chaos Theory.First, straight off the bat, I'd like to say, GREATEST Splinter Cell game in the entire series. I mean, bravo, 2 thumbs up. Gameplay is very organized and not too tweaked around like the later games. Story line was exceptional. Running on a very good computer, this game rarely has any glitches or bugs, so, good job Ubisoft. The co-op portion is possibly the best part about Chaos Theory. If you love taking out bad guys in stealth over lan or online, this is probably the best game to do it in. Very, very fun game. I prefer it highly over Double Agent in my opinion. 10/10 Expand
  31. Sep 1, 2013
    Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Is the best game in the series after Original Splinter Cell
    because of its story.Chaos theory has everything a Splinter Cell Fan like me would want like more interrogation with NPC & option between lethal & Non-Lethal attack.Graphics & Sound are amazing.
    Note:This review is only about single player Campaign
  32. AWG
    Jul 7, 2013
    Wow. I played Chaos Theory 8 years ago and I still almost can feel the thrills this game gave me. Greatest Splinter Cell game? Maybe, even likely, but I haven't played any from the latter trilogy.
  33. Jul 20, 2016
    Without a doubt the greatest Splinter Cell title and perhaps one of the greatest PC games of all time. Launched on the classic Xbox, the amount of quality and polish is remarkable even to this day. If it wasn't for a low resolution textures (A requirement to run on the 64mb 200hz ram Xbox) this game would be on par with modern 2016 titles. Shadows, lighting and absolute use of minimalismWithout a doubt the greatest Splinter Cell title and perhaps one of the greatest PC games of all time. Launched on the classic Xbox, the amount of quality and polish is remarkable even to this day. If it wasn't for a low resolution textures (A requirement to run on the 64mb 200hz ram Xbox) this game would be on par with modern 2016 titles. Shadows, lighting and absolute use of minimalism make such a simple platform come alive in vibrant locations - the bath house level has been talked about for over a decade now.

Chaos Theory is cited often as an example of what raised the bar and set expectations so high that everything after it with "multiple ways to complete each mission" came as a disappointment - things like Hitman games, even Crysis, reference it as the source of "non linear" gameplay when it comes to stealth or action.

The multiplayer aspect thrived for half a decade alone, none of the sequels even came close to matching it. Eventually, Ubisoft stopped trying to copy the multiplayer and just left the servers running (until Gamespy's closure) as to not compete with the fanbase that still played Chaos Theory online. Asymetrical first-person-vs-third-person hasn't been the same since and I honestly expect kickstarters to start popping up in a few years to bring back the thrill of spies vs mercs in the same way Tribes is making a resurgence.

Everything else that can be said of this game has already been said over the last ten years or so, but I'll explain why the reviews aren't perfect, when the game came out it was very jarring to see a stealth game offer "loud" loudouts for each mission. Splinter Cell up to Chaos Theory had been a one-alarm-and-it's-over-fisher affair, giving Sam (and the player) the ability to start a mission with a dozen HAND GRENADES did not fit the theme at all, but was part of Ubisoft's push to take on Halo in the mindless action game department. Ubisoft would go on to make poor decisions like this for the next two decades, see also: The Division, Any Assassin's Creed after 2 (there's a new one every three months), Any Rainbow Six after Raven's Shield, The Division, etc.

The other thing reviews cited in 2005 to take points off a perfect score was simply the fact the opening cutscenes where dumbed down and "futurized" for ease of access to action gamers. Again an attempt at catering to the then-massive Halo crowd (Halo 2 was the biggest game of all time during these years, everyone wanted a piece of that pie.) which made the intriguing world of Tom Clancy look more like some sort of NCIS/Matrix spoof.

Once you start the actual game, it's golden, but the scars of the publisher attempting to guide development towards non-stealth gamers linger as a warning of things to come.
  34. Mar 3, 2014
    Splinter Chaos Theory, has been mentioned as the best of it's series. If you do not believe this claim, then you better believe it! I played this game on March 2nd, of 2014; and by the gods it was still able to give me (a modern day gamer) a fun ride.

My final thoughts, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory is way better than the first Splinter Cell. The first game had an extremely weaker version of Sam. Sneaking and taking down enemies was an experience which i didn't enjoy. So if you've played the first game, and hated it, play this game. Its much better! But, please note, you still have to be patient. One of the missions actually took me 1 Hour and 20 minutes to complete! Lol, im a noob, but I was playing it on Hard.... :l
  35. Oct 7, 2015
    For PC this is the Ultimate Splinter Cell experience. Mouse and Keyboard controls are not the best, but I got used to them pretty quickly. Stealth is hardcore and requires using strategic planning which is much better than almost braindead gameplay of Conviction or Blacklist. And the soundtrack is superb!!!
    If you own an Xbox or a PS2, check out Splinter Cell Double Agent. This past-gen version of DA is almost like Chaos Theory, but with some enhancements and additions.
  36. Jun 23, 2014
    Best game in the whole franchise. Woe to those who bought anything after Double Agent. Its stealth mechanics are great, the lighting isn't glitchy (cough cough Pandora Tomorrow), and it's overall freakin' sweet. I've logged over 40 hours just playing and replaying this game on all difficulties. Holy sweet jesus this game is good.
  37. Dec 25, 2014
    A masterpiece of a game that stands as the peak of the series. Wonderfully atmospheric, beautifully immersive and powered by an engine that not only stands the test of time, but surpasses it in many ways.

Insanely deep and rich in every aspect, this, next to Thief 2, is the greatest stealth game I have ever played.
  38. Jun 4, 2015
    Best Splinter Cell ever made. Great Graphics and Art Direction, awesome gameplay, soundtrack by Amon Tobin (sounds great). Ubisoft, WHY DON'T YOU MAKE ANY GAMES LIKE THIS ONE? :(
  39. Jul 11, 2015
    One of the best stealth games of all time (Also one of my personal treasures), chaos theory does it all. It has a pretty good and realistic plot, great voice acting, the odd bits of humour here and great gameplay. The game is long, and highly replayable due to multiple pathways and the fact that there are so many ways to dispose of or sneak by your enemies. There is also a rating system,One of the best stealth games of all time (Also one of my personal treasures), chaos theory does it all. It has a pretty good and realistic plot, great voice acting, the odd bits of humour here and great gameplay. The game is long, and highly replayable due to multiple pathways and the fact that there are so many ways to dispose of or sneak by your enemies. There is also a rating system, and getting the highest score can be a challenge on most missions. Sam also has a crap ton of moves and gadgets to use that really improve the gameplay from pandora tomorrow. The coop mode is also a nice bonus so you can play with your buddy. Unfortunately, nobody plays multiplayer anymore so its practically useless playing it now. The only real problem with the game is that the audio and ai can glitch out at times and do weird things. I also don't like how the game offers you all these new ways to kill enemies, but penalizes you for killing them. This is a stupid element that stealth games NEED to remove. But that doesn't change the fact that this is an incredible game. Expand
  40. Oct 28, 2015
    Probably the best game in the series. i can't really find any flaw on this masterpiece of a stealth game.
    First off the level design is great, the gameplay is without a doubt the best one on the franchise and that soundtrack....oh that soundtrack.
    This is a must have for any stealth enthusiast.

1. Game Informer
    Writing in video games is a subject that doesn't get a lot of attention, but Chaos Theory features a simply great script. Not only is it complex and deep, it's also surprisingly funny. [Apr 2005, p.112]
    When combined with the excellent animations, the game feels incredibly cinematic, and on a high-end graphics card the game is stunning. Each level is a grand set piece in which players stylishly accomplish their goals.
  3. A serious improvement in any way you care to name, from gameplay to its newly, eerily realistic graphics.