5.8

1. ColbyA.
    Mar 23, 2007
    I'm coming with the same complaints as everyone else. I personally love the game and the gameplay, even if it gets tedious doing the same trial and error thing over and over again (but it's a nice change from grinding on MMOs), and I personally like the storyline so far. But the only problem is that it is glitchy as all hell. I've had problems with directional keys not I'm coming with the same complaints as everyone else. I personally love the game and the gameplay, even if it gets tedious doing the same trial and error thing over and over again (but it's a nice change from grinding on MMOs), and I personally like the storyline so far. But the only problem is that it is glitchy as all hell. I've had problems with directional keys not working for activities liek safecracking, I've had countless random crashes, and I've had lots of visual errors like the screen going blank after leaving it on the pause menu for 10 minutes or longer. Frankly, I suggest you wait until the game gets some more patches (if Ubi gives a damn about their PC customers). Lucky for me I got it on clearance for 20 bucks. Expand
  2. AntonioMB.
    Jun 11, 2007
    This game would have taken an 8, but unfortunately it is full of bugs. Seriously, I've never seen a game so full of glitches. For example, you can't change video configurations. Multiplayer is good, and the plot is cool.
  3. May 27, 2016
    Splinter Cell: Double Agent. What an awesome game this could be. Ubisoft could’ve achieved perfection. Instead, they failed miserably. I’ll never forgive you for this capital sin… it’s not like you care anyway.

I have the original retail 2 DVD version, and played the game back in ’06 when it came out. I remember having lots and lots of crashes, disappearing saves, lighting issues… I also remember going through a very rough time during the Congolese mission, where all the issues combined to give you a perfectly anti-epic experience. But I persisted, I was enjoying the story and the gameplay at those parts that it wasn’t bugged, and eventually finished the game. It took probably more than twice the time it should theoretically take, but whatever.

This last month, I became sick with nostalgia, heaven knows why, and decided to get the Splinter Cell collection from Steam. I honestly thought the game had been polished after so many years. I couldn’t be more wrong. All the problems persisted, even with the latest patch. The Congolese mission is still incredibly buggy, making you CTD lots of times during loading screens, and making you pray that at least your last 1 or 2 saves didn’t become corrupted; there’s still a door in one of the JBA missions that doesn’t open, with the “interact” button appearing and disappearing almost instantly. You know IT IS supposed to open, since you have an optional objective hidden in the room behind that door. Oh, and this was new for me, the ending cutscene was stuck in place, with the music playing, and the keyboard not responding to my commands. Seriously, what the hell? Last night, after googling around, I discovered that by setting the screen resolution to one of the native 4:3 ratios would probably solve the problem. And it did. But why allow widescreen resolutions, if the engine can’t take care of them properly?

I was able to find a workaround to all of the problems I went through, but finding them made me waste valuable time; I was able to find a custom-made 1.02a patch, that reduced the CTDs during loading screens and kept the save corruption to a minimum – I was actually able to play and complete the Congolese mission in about 1 hour, while without the patch, 1 hour was the time needed just to pass the palace part, due to constant crashes and saving corruption; regarding the door in JBA HQ mission, editing the splintercelluser and splintercelluser1.ini files by assigning to keys the cheat codes “ghost” and “walk” did the trick; and finally, the ending cutscene played when I decided to force windowed mode and 800x600 resolution. But gaming should be about having fun playing with no worries, not searching for solutions to problems that should never exist in the first place, and worrying if the game is going to crash during your next save or loading screen.

With the knowledge of these workarounds, as well as the installation of the custom patch, I give this game a 6.0; but there’s so much wasted potential here… this game could get so much more. I hate you Ubi.
  4. Apr 24, 2011
    Well, the biggest problem of Double Agent are the keyboard / mouse controls that are inoperative to edit: Why on Earth would UBIsoft disallow custom mapping of certain controls such as (some of the most important): Fire, Alt-Fire, Jump, etc.... Seriously though, WTF UBI?! y-U-gotta-B-such-a-hassle!? (keyboard/mouse controls can actually be text-overridden from the SplinterCell4User.ini,Well, the biggest problem of Double Agent are the keyboard / mouse controls that are inoperative to edit: Why on Earth would UBIsoft disallow custom mapping of certain controls such as (some of the most important): Fire, Alt-Fire, Jump, etc.... Seriously though, WTF UBI?! y-U-gotta-B-such-a-hassle!? (keyboard/mouse controls can actually be text-overridden from the SplinterCell4User.ini, but it's just more of a pain in the brain and the changes won't appear in the game's control settings)... Apparently the game designers/programmers at UBI didn't give a damn about all the PC users that are still out there, they only seem to care about the console-end of their games anymore.. All of this mouse/keyboard control crap also goes for SC-Convicted, which sucks just as much... Also the in-game weapon selection menu for Double Agent isn't as nice, Chaos Theory's weapon selection menu was a little better... anyway, on the other hand, the graphics are still nice and perform well on my setup! (E6600 + 9600GT).. Despite the problems, I somewhat still enjoy the overall game play of Double Agent, but not as much as Chaos Theory... To conclude: UBI seems to be ruining the entire essence of the Splinter Cell games, starting with Double Agent and then especially with Conviction (The stealth-play in the most recent SC game is evermore degrading)... UURRRRRR!!! UBI-dumb-a$$-wipes... There goes my share on the next SC series, cuzz I'm done with UBI's poopee compositions!... What's wrong with game makers now-a-days, are they on dope, or are they not on dope anymore? :( Expand
  5. Mar 12, 2012
    the has a lot of flaws but they never patched it or cared for it.overall this cat be classified asgood port.apart from port the gameplay is also medcore.when i finished chaos theory i was super excited for this one but i uninstalled the game after playing for 20 minutes.if you are looking to buy a splinter cell game buy chaos theory.
  6. AnthonyJ.
    Dec 1, 2006
    Huge problems with the save features: cant name saves, the "continue" doesn't work, and it won't load missions. The only thing that wil load is progress saves and they are not kept in order!What a shame! The game itself looks amazing and plays well, but it doesn't seem worth the hassle.
  7. Jul 6, 2016
    Gameplay : 7
    Graphics : 7
    Story : 8
    Sound : 7
    Overall : 7
  8. Aug 29, 2016
    Some games do not age well. And Splinter Cell: Double agent is a great example of that. There is a lot of things wrong with the game and not many that were done right. I finished the game but there were times I thought about not trying to.

Lets start with bad then shall we. The game crashes. And it crashes a lot. And there is no pattern just when will it crash. Sometimes in the

Lets start with bad then shall we.

The game crashes. And it crashes a lot. And there is no pattern just when will it crash. Sometimes in the middle of the mission, sometimes on mission load, sometimes on intro or outro of the mission. And sometimes it works just fine for an hour or longer. But on other times crashes after ten or fifteen minutes. Quite annoying. And once you decide to exit game, it can freeze itself forcing you to restart the windows in order to regain control.

The graphics are aged and it shows. Fact that highest resolution is 1600x900 does not help either. To top that the first mission is really ugly which makes matters even worse at first. You get used to it later on and it's not that bad as the first impression.

Audio seems fine most of times. Though lack of subtitles is extremely annoying. This was almost a reason not to play the game.

The game does not introduce itself very well. It lacks that modern tutorial/guide style so present everywhere. This is somewhat refreshing but leaves a lot for player to figure out. Some things I've learned on almost ending missions. But the lack of waypoints saying exactly where to go was a bit of back to the roots trip. When you actually had to figure stuff out instead of going after the flashing blip.

The story is rather bland. The start of it a disaster I would say. It gets a bit better later on but it is not to original or interesting at that.

Mechanically it's not too good as well. The three vision mode, night, head and electronics are pretty much useless. I don't think I used them even once in a meaningful way. Shooting and combat are bad. Most annoying thing being - why the hell is a pistol more accurate than a rifle? I mean really. Grenades are useless as well.

As a stealth game it fares much better. Sneaking is satisfying as much as stabbing the guys in the back. Most of the missions can be completed by remaining stealthy which is nice. Safe cracking is a nightmare though. The controls for it are terrible.

That should be about time to tell something good about the game. So what it does going for it are pretty well designed levels and missions. They're interesting and challenging. Some of them are approachable by different ways I guess though it's not the same amount of freedom as Hitman games for example.

Also the JMB headquarter levels are very nice - especially with the trust mechanic. This is the only part that makes the game worth playing. Time you are given to complete some additional objectives really adds to the double agent atmosphere.

Overall I'd say 6/10 if you disregard the crashes. Not really something I can wholeheartedly recommend though I've played worse games.
  9. Sep 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers. As the others have said, the game for PC is extremely buggy, because it's a horrible port from Xbox. From my experience of playing it (since I'm a pretty big Splinter Cell fan) I've made a list of the bugs/glitches.

Some of the ragdolls spaz out so ridiculously that they can actually cause damage to you by slapping you with one of their limbs. The safe-cracking controls are too sensitive and take pure luck to get it right. The Kinsasha missions have their brightness really screwed up (it's too damn bright), as well as giving you two loading screens when trying to quickload, only to be finished off by having the damn game crash. Sometimes the game crashes even by trying to open the radar! By the way, if you don't have the patch you don't get the equipment rewards (which is considering it gets difficult to bypass the later hacks) but even then some of the things don't work like the electronic lockpick. If your system is slow and old, some of the cutscenes will repeat over and over like the bomb on the cruise ship failing to detonate or the game doesn't even load up because the intro cutscenes keep repeating. Then there's having to wait about 15 seconds in an unskippable cutscene when you finish a game or the training course to get back to the main menu. Some of the video settings are screwed up as you can't even tell if they're properly calibrated. Sometimes you won't even see if the shadows are there, because of the otherwise bastardized HDR effects, which ruins the gameplay when you need to hide in the dark. Pressing Escape is considered a dangerous move in the game, for instance: if you suddenly press ESC as you're trying to access a computer, you'll get a view of pretty much the whole map from an indeterminate location and as you try to press ESC again it crashes the game. The SC-20k and the Riot Shotgun both reload in the same way as the SC Pistol well done, developers. Another great glitch is if you decide to blow up the cruise ship and then Enrica decides to let you inside the bomb lab at the end of the game, but that option gets you nowhere as you can't even continue Sam just freezes in place and you can't move him, leaving only the choice of killing Enrica before seeing her as viable. And here's a goodie for the people who play with HD screens if you don't have the game set at 800x600 at the ending where you have to disarm the final bomb you can consider yourself stuck. The ending of the game where the SWAT bust through the windows simply won't play and you'll just be left hanging there like an idiot until you close the process of the game and start it up again. The overall controls just feel like you need some sensitive analogue stick to do it right, because: 1. Sometimes you can't properly get into crawl spaces, 2. You have to use your mouse to navigate on the profiles' "Medical Info", "Activities" and "Personal Info" sections (and the mouse is invisible.) 3. And, the safe-cracking. Then there's dialogue.. Which can sometimes feel VERY awkward. Even Sam delivers some of his lines really strangely.. and so do the NPCs. The sound is quite messed up too as the music is sometimes either really quiet or really loud and the gunshots are really quiet, while Sam's screams and bullet ricochets are louder. Sometimes you can hear the body-picking-up sound repeat twice at the same time. The game seems like an evil little imp that decides when it wants to be more buggy than other times. I once tried to load a game on the Shanghai level and it came up with a box saying "Please insert a storage device." (Obviously from the Xbox port.) There's also an annoying part at the start of the Okhotsk level, when you try to sneak to your fallen equipment, Sam will sometimes not grab the ledge when you fall down the cliff and repeatedly die. And besides that, when he falls an EXCESSIVE amount of blood just splurts out, making it look like he was slaughtered by a giant lawn mower
    Overall, it seems like the game is a completely horrid mess. But that mess only surrounds the awesome remains of the Chaos Theory engine which is the gem of the series, in my opinion. There are some different and cool new moves like being able to grab someone by being right behind the corner. I can't really say I hated the JBA HQ missions, since everytime you have different objectives and to see how many and how fast you can do them is quite a fun challenge. The trust system is OK on the more easier difficulties. Because of these positive things, I'm going to be merciful and give the game a rating of 3.

I'm pretty sure I'd give it a much higher rating if I played it on the XBox 360 version, but since I didn't know what the Quality Assurance team had on their hands beside that version and a big bottle of Crown Royal... Well... You just put those three together and you get this vomit-covered buggy PC port. Don't bother getting it unless you're prepared to have a headache and getting prescribed on anti-depressants.

1. I found the story more fleshed out since certain story elements that are glossed over in the X360 version are given more gravity and importance.
  2. Double Agent comes close to earning a Classic award, let down only by the fact that we wanted to see them run a bit further with the trust system idea.
  3. A good game. It will likely be a very good game after a couple of patches (it is damn buggy on the PC and slow as hell), so I'd advise you to wait a while before you actually buy it.