5.8

1. ColbyA.
    Mar 23, 2007
    I'm coming with the same complaints as everyone else. I personally love the game and the gameplay, even if it gets tedious doing the same trial and error thing over and over again (but it's a nice change from grinding on MMOs), and I personally like the storyline so far. But the only problem is that it is glitchy as all hell. I've had problems with directional keys not I'm coming with the same complaints as everyone else. I personally love the game and the gameplay, even if it gets tedious doing the same trial and error thing over and over again (but it's a nice change from grinding on MMOs), and I personally like the storyline so far. But the only problem is that it is glitchy as all hell. I've had problems with directional keys not working for activities liek safecracking, I've had countless random crashes, and I've had lots of visual errors like the screen going blank after leaving it on the pause menu for 10 minutes or longer. Frankly, I suggest you wait until the game gets some more patches (if Ubi gives a damn about their PC customers). Lucky for me I got it on clearance for 20 bucks. Expand
  2. AntonioMB.
    Jun 11, 2007
    This game would have taken an 8, but unfortunately it is full of bugs. Seriously, I've never seen a game so full of glitches. For example, you can't change video configurations. Multiplayer is good, and the plot is cool.
  3. Apr 24, 2011
    Well, the biggest problem of Double Agent are the keyboard / mouse controls that are inoperative to edit: Why on Earth would UBIsoft disallow custom mapping of certain controls such as (some of the most important): Fire, Alt-Fire, Jump, etc.... Seriously though, WTF UBI?! y-U-gotta-B-such-a-hassle!? (keyboard/mouse controls can actually be text-overridden from the SplinterCell4User.ini,Well, the biggest problem of Double Agent are the keyboard / mouse controls that are inoperative to edit: Why on Earth would UBIsoft disallow custom mapping of certain controls such as (some of the most important): Fire, Alt-Fire, Jump, etc.... Seriously though, WTF UBI?! y-U-gotta-B-such-a-hassle!? (keyboard/mouse controls can actually be text-overridden from the SplinterCell4User.ini, but it's just more of a pain in the brain and the changes won't appear in the game's control settings)... Apparently the game designers/programmers at UBI didn't give a damn about all the PC users that are still out there, they only seem to care about the console-end of their games anymore.. All of this mouse/keyboard control crap also goes for SC-Convicted, which sucks just as much... Also the in-game weapon selection menu for Double Agent isn't as nice, Chaos Theory's weapon selection menu was a little better... anyway, on the other hand, the graphics are still nice and perform well on my setup! (E6600 + 9600GT).. Despite the problems, I somewhat still enjoy the overall game play of Double Agent, but not as much as Chaos Theory... To conclude: UBI seems to be ruining the entire essence of the Splinter Cell games, starting with Double Agent and then especially with Conviction (The stealth-play in the most recent SC game is evermore degrading)... UURRRRRR!!! UBI-dumb-a$$-wipes... There goes my share on the next SC series, cuzz I'm done with UBI's poopee compositions!... What's wrong with game makers now-a-days, are they on dope, or are they not on dope anymore? :( Expand
  4. Mar 12, 2012
    the has a lot of flaws but they never patched it or cared for it.overall this cat be classified asgood port.apart from port the gameplay is also medcore.when i finished chaos theory i was super excited for this one but i uninstalled the game after playing for 20 minutes.if you are looking to buy a splinter cell game buy chaos theory.
  5. AnthonyJ.
    Dec 1, 2006
    Huge problems with the save features: cant name saves, the "continue" doesn't work, and it won't load missions. The only thing that wil load is progress saves and they are not kept in order!What a shame! The game itself looks amazing and plays well, but it doesn't seem worth the hassle.
  6. May 27, 2016
    Splinter Cell: Double Agent. What an awesome game this could be. Ubisoft could’ve achieved perfection. Instead, they failed miserably. I’ll never forgive you for this capital sin… it’s not like you care anyway.

I have the original retail 2 DVD version, and played the game back in ’06 when it came out. I remember having lots and lots of crashes, disappearing saves, lighting issues… I also remember going through a very rough time during the Congolese mission, where all the issues combined to give you a perfectly anti-epic experience. But I persisted, I was enjoying the story and the gameplay at those parts that it wasn’t bugged, and eventually finished the game. It took probably more than twice the time it should theoretically take, but whatever.

This last month, I became sick with nostalgia, heaven knows why, and decided to get the Splinter Cell collection from Steam. I honestly thought the game had been polished after so many years. I couldn’t be more wrong. All the problems persisted, even with the latest patch. The Congolese mission is still incredibly buggy, making you CTD lots of times during loading screens, and making you pray that at least your last 1 or 2 saves didn’t become corrupted; there’s still a door in one of the JBA missions that doesn’t open, with the “interact” button appearing and disappearing almost instantly. You know IT IS supposed to open, since you have an optional objective hidden in the room behind that door. Oh, and this was new for me, the ending cutscene was stuck in place, with the music playing, and the keyboard not responding to my commands. Seriously, what the hell? Last night, after googling around, I discovered that by setting the screen resolution to one of the native 4:3 ratios would probably solve the problem. And it did. But why allow widescreen resolutions, if the engine can’t take care of them properly?

I was able to find a workaround to all of the problems I went through, but finding them made me waste valuable time; I was able to find a custom-made 1.02a patch, that reduced the CTDs during loading screens and kept the save corruption to a minimum – I was actually able to play and complete the Congolese mission in about 1 hour, while without the patch, 1 hour was the time needed just to pass the palace part, due to constant crashes and saving corruption; regarding the door in JBA HQ mission, editing the splintercelluser and splintercelluser1.ini files by assigning to keys the cheat codes “ghost” and “walk” did the trick; and finally, the ending cutscene played when I decided to force windowed mode and 800x600 resolution. But gaming should be about having fun playing with no worries, not searching for solutions to problems that should never exist in the first place, and worrying if the game is going to crash during your next save or loading screen.

With the knowledge of these workarounds, as well as the installation of the custom patch, I give this game a 6.0; but there’s so much wasted potential here… this game could get so much more. I hate you Ubi.
  7. Jul 6, 2016
    Gameplay : 7
    Graphics : 7
    Story : 8
    Sound : 7
    Overall : 7
  8. Aug 29, 2016
    Some games do not age well. And Splinter Cell: Double agent is a great example of that. There is a lot of things wrong with the game and not many that were done right. I finished the game but there were times I thought about not trying to.

Lets start with bad then shall we. The game crashes. And it crashes a lot. And there is no pattern just when will it crash. Sometimes in the

Lets start with bad then shall we.

The game crashes. And it crashes a lot. And there is no pattern just when will it crash. Sometimes in the middle of the mission, sometimes on mission load, sometimes on intro or outro of the mission. And sometimes it works just fine for an hour or longer. But on other times crashes after ten or fifteen minutes. Quite annoying. And once you decide to exit game, it can freeze itself forcing you to restart the windows in order to regain control.

The graphics are aged and it shows. Fact that highest resolution is 1600x900 does not help either. To top that the first mission is really ugly which makes matters even worse at first. You get used to it later on and it's not that bad as the first impression.

Audio seems fine most of times. Though lack of subtitles is extremely annoying. This was almost a reason not to play the game.

The game does not introduce itself very well. It lacks that modern tutorial/guide style so present everywhere. This is somewhat refreshing but leaves a lot for player to figure out. Some things I've learned on almost ending missions. But the lack of waypoints saying exactly where to go was a bit of back to the roots trip. When you actually had to figure stuff out instead of going after the flashing blip.

The story is rather bland. The start of it a disaster I would say. It gets a bit better later on but it is not to original or interesting at that.

Mechanically it's not too good as well. The three vision mode, night, head and electronics are pretty much useless. I don't think I used them even once in a meaningful way. Shooting and combat are bad. Most annoying thing being - why the hell is a pistol more accurate than a rifle? I mean really. Grenades are useless as well.

As a stealth game it fares much better. Sneaking is satisfying as much as stabbing the guys in the back. Most of the missions can be completed by remaining stealthy which is nice. Safe cracking is a nightmare though. The controls for it are terrible.

That should be about time to tell something good about the game. So what it does going for it are pretty well designed levels and missions. They're interesting and challenging. Some of them are approachable by different ways I guess though it's not the same amount of freedom as Hitman games for example.

Also the JMB headquarter levels are very nice - especially with the trust mechanic. This is the only part that makes the game worth playing. Time you are given to complete some additional objectives really adds to the double agent atmosphere.

Overall I'd say 6/10 if you disregard the crashes. Not really something I can wholeheartedly recommend though I've played worse games.

1. I found the story more fleshed out since certain story elements that are glossed over in the X360 version are given more gravity and importance.
  2. Double Agent comes close to earning a Classic award, let down only by the fact that we wanted to see them run a bit further with the trust system idea.
  3. A good game. It will likely be a very good game after a couple of patches (it is damn buggy on the PC and slow as hell), so I'd advise you to wait a while before you actually buy it.