8.5

1. Mar 6, 2013
    Quite surprised how good this game to be turned out to be, easily one of the best action-adventure games in years. Very fluid gameplay, top line graphics and action filled engaging story. This is one of very few games where QTEs aren't too annoying and actually play a good part during action scenes. Gameplay is a good mix of stealth and firefights, the AI isn't too great but that is prettyQuite surprised how good this game to be turned out to be, easily one of the best action-adventure games in years. Very fluid gameplay, top line graphics and action filled engaging story. This is one of very few games where QTEs aren't too annoying and actually play a good part during action scenes. Gameplay is a good mix of stealth and firefights, the AI isn't too great but that is pretty common these days. Story is a great twist on typical Tomb Raider adventure, people who like the concept of the Lost show will love it. Expand
  2. Mar 6, 2013
    As far as a 3rd person action/adventure game goes this is very good, as far as a Tomb raider game goes it's not too bad but it could be a lot better. From the perspective of a reboot from a great series this is certainly a nice breath of fresh air and there is a lot great things that has been put into this game: The environments and visuals are some of the best I've seen in a 3rd personAs far as a 3rd person action/adventure game goes this is very good, as far as a Tomb raider game goes it's not too bad but it could be a lot better. From the perspective of a reboot from a great series this is certainly a nice breath of fresh air and there is a lot great things that has been put into this game: The environments and visuals are some of the best I've seen in a 3rd person game let a lone an action game for current generation technology. The combat system and mechanics are a joy to play and are free flowing and easy to control, the AI is pretty smart and react accordingly to their surroundings, character development is actually quite good considering a lot of people are saying they're 2 dimensional it's still a good story/plot all in all. These are some of the great things this game ha to offer. However I do feel that this game is missing something, it's missing the Indianna Jones style tomb/booby traps explorations we all grew to love in a Tomb Raider game. Don't get me wrong this game has tombs, it has exploration but it just doesn't quite feel the same and that brings me back to my point as a 3rd person action/adventure game this concept would be fine but as it's Tomb Raider I really crave this and that's why I will give Crystal Dynamics the benefit of the doubt and hope they add these important features for any forthcoming sequels. All in all a decent game and deserves a respectable score, however if you're looking for the true Tomb Raider feel you may be left slightly dissapointed. Expand
  3. Mar 5, 2013
    This is one of those games where you get so involved with the character and with the visuals surrounding it. The story line is amazing the sound effect are awesome. The multiplayer is even not that bad I actually enjoyed playing a litle bit of it. I think this is one of my favorite so far this year.
  4. Mar 5, 2013
    This game is just insanely good. I was thinking it was just a hype, like Far Cry 3, Skyrim (that I thought a little tedious), but no, this game is just the top 5 best games in this generations (PS3, Xbox360, PC), that soon the generation is over. Awesome graphics, awesome dinamic, and I think the best was the sound, that was marvelous. People that are giving yellow scores is theThis game is just insanely good. I was thinking it was just a hype, like Far Cry 3, Skyrim (that I thought a little tedious), but no, this game is just the top 5 best games in this generations (PS3, Xbox360, PC), that soon the generation is over. Awesome graphics, awesome dinamic, and I think the best was the sound, that was marvelous. People that are giving yellow scores is the "Uncharted" fans. Altought I have to say I love Uncharted series, there's no match to Lara Croft and this games just raised the bars that Uncharted brought. They're just jealous. At some points I got goosebumps playing the game. Well, if you have any doubt, don't waste your time, play this game now. There's no way you can regret. Expand
  5. Mar 6, 2013
    Excellent gameplay, solid plot, and wonderful graphics. For a modern day 3rd person shooter it is awesome. Deeper than Uncharted, multiple routes to take through quests, and a level up system similar to Far Cry. It is a combo game that doesn't fail in anyway except for the lack of puzzles. Add some serious Tomb Raider puzzles and this may have been the best in the series. As it is, I'm onExcellent gameplay, solid plot, and wonderful graphics. For a modern day 3rd person shooter it is awesome. Deeper than Uncharted, multiple routes to take through quests, and a level up system similar to Far Cry. It is a combo game that doesn't fail in anyway except for the lack of puzzles. Add some serious Tomb Raider puzzles and this may have been the best in the series. As it is, I'm on a second playthrough already. They did a great job of making you feel that no matter how skilled you play the game, Lara may not actually succeed at her goals. Pros:
    TressFX hair.
    The island is the star.
    Great pacing to the story and to Lara's development as a character.
    Nice job of making the player feel that they may not succeed at their mission until the last second. Cons:
    Massive performance drop with TressFX hair on (don't use this on anything but a top Intel chip processor and AMD 6970+ or NVIDIA GFX 660ti card, it killed every other set up I used).
    No puzzles (well they exist, but are short and very easy).
    Water could be better and Lara can't swim.
    Freedom of movement around the island comes very late in the story at which point you don't care about exploring any more. PC controls are not as smooth as the controller, again making the PC feel like an afterthought. Many people complain of crashes, but I had a smooth experience. Final Judgment:
    It is worth the $50 only if you like replaying games. It is short and a one time play for people only interested in the story. My first playthrough was about 8 hours and I completed 84% of the collectibles and challenges. Maybe a 6 hour game if you plow through the story.
  6. Mar 5, 2013
    Amazing pc version with stunning directx 11 and good optimization. Ambient and voice actors are amazing. Played this for 3 hours, story and that island are really interesting. Lara is so nice of course. Happy to play such games. Thanks Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix for this.
  7. Mar 5, 2013
    I don't often write reviews but... wow. I Am absolutely blown away, I didn't expect anything from this game. I enjoyed the old games, (1,2, Angel of darkness, underworld) but this one just blew me away, the intro was great and it kept me going, the adrenaline doesn't stop and the action just keeps coming, I even feel bad for Lara after everything she goes through.

The graphics are

The graphics are sensational (I'm running a gtx680), the hair effects look amazing most of the time, but they have their glitches and screw ups (like the effects disappearing for a second and her hair looking bland during intense cut scenes, it could be a driver thing or something they could patch). As mentioned the story is thrilling and keeps you wanting more, the side quests are worthwhile and brings back old Lara memories. The gameplay is solid, the free running reminds me of assassins creed mixed with old school lara. The bow is great, the guns can feel a bit clunky at times but still suits fine considering she wouldn't be a gun expert. Point blank confrontations with enemies are awkward at first but goes nicely with the story, but once you adapt and learn abilities it works out great and flows greatly.

Overall a true underdog for me and a very nice recreation of Lara. Good job crystal.
  8. Mar 5, 2013
    This Tomb Raider is a mature adult-oriented version and better for it. The storyline evolves as you play the game and you really feel for Lara's struggles as she battles through the islands lush locations.

The gameplay has depth and combat has a visceral feel. The controls are simple and do not get in the way of the action or story. The graphics and sound are state-of-the-art and rival anything seen and heard in other games released in the last year. Do yourself a favor and upgrade your computer. The Ultimate graphics setting is absolutely beautiful.

The UI is excellent and highly polished and most importantly functional. The new collection and achievement systems encourage you to explore the island. They also have the added advantage of giving you experience and items which in turn can be used to add skills and upgrade weapons.

A definite Game Of The Year contender.
  9. Mar 7, 2013
    Tomb Raider plays and feels more like an action movie than a game, but that is not a bad thing. The problem is that it turns, for the most part, the player into an expectator with "little" (choice-wise) to do other than follow the predetermined path and manage QT-Es to stay awake (but let's be fair: extremely well implemented QT-Es).

Trying to gather the collectibles spread around the

Trying to gather the collectibles spread around the map may distract you from the game's main selling point: it's character development and the interaction with the environment, but those menial exploration tasks can be left to after the endgame the completionist in me wanted to ditch the sense of urgency and collect everything on the first play-through, but that spoils the mood.

The voice acting is solid, the graphics are stunning and Lara's character is unbelievably well done, but the rest of the crew is unmemorable to say the best, sometimes falling into "I wish friendly-fire could be turned off" territory. The narrative is very common place (again, not a bad thing), but the action feels... unnatural (too much killing, even if "justified").

The difficult is set very, very low: the (environmental) puzzles are okay, but ammo is pretty much infinite, making fragility the only problem for Lara, but again no complaints here: dying over and over again has always been a selling point for this franchise (really!).

In this reboot we don't have huge, over-the-top and out-of-this-world Tombs, neither did we get underwater sequences (in fact, on my gameplay Lara drowned at least a dozen times) but yes this is solid environment and survival exploration with the most loved female explorer ever. This game truly turns Lara's character into all that she is know even a dose of sex appeal is there, when she isn't mass murdering entire armies.
  10. Mar 5, 2013
    Three hours in. Fantastic game so far. Great PC port, for those worried over that aspect of the game. Using latest 314 drivers, my nvidia card does the hair tesselation very well, so you definitely do not need a radeon to get that benefit of the PC port. Controls are very fluid and smooth with a keyboard/mouse. Some people hate QTEs, so if you hate 'em, too bad. This game has them. I thinkThree hours in. Fantastic game so far. Great PC port, for those worried over that aspect of the game. Using latest 314 drivers, my nvidia card does the hair tesselation very well, so you definitely do not need a radeon to get that benefit of the PC port. Controls are very fluid and smooth with a keyboard/mouse. Some people hate QTEs, so if you hate 'em, too bad. This game has them. I think they're a perfectly fine gameplay mechanic. I don't mind.

Combat is, like the controls, fluid and smooth. I'm shocked, considering Crystal Dynamics has largely made...well...games far inferior to this in the past. :/

Very cinematic gameplay that is a mixture of Uncharted/Assassin's Creed. The optional "Tombs" have, so far, been relatively easy. I was always a fan of the Tomb Raider stories/lore, but never a fan of the puzzle-based gameplay in the previous games, and while there's some small element of puzzles in the main game, it's definitely more of an action/adventure than an environment puzzle. Which I think is great.

The story, and character evolution of Laura, so far, has also been great. It's audacious to say this only three hours in, but I can already see this being in the conversation for end-of-year awards when November/December rolls around.

Just fantastic presentation, solidly smooth gameplay, and far more likable Laura now that she isn't wearing hotpants with Double D cups. I'll hold off on a 10 until I actually finish. ;D About the only thing I can think of at this point that would make me lower my score later is if they end it on a cliffhanger.
  11. Mar 5, 2013
    I am trying really hard to love this game as there is so much to love.
    The quicktime events need to go though. They are just so frustrating on PC and drag down the experience.
    Who on earth thought adding so many was a great idea? The game was strong enough to work without these elements and it seems to just be lazy programming that resulted in them. Leave them as an option if people
    I am trying really hard to love this game as there is so much to love.

Leave them as an option if people want it that way but there should have been an option to skip as an instant death over and over again for not pressing a button on a controller or a key on a keyboard within a millisecond is pretty cheap.
    Visually this game is great and sound and exploration in parts is fun too but please no more quicktime events ever
  12. Mar 5, 2013
    I've only been playing for a couple hours but I really had to quit. This game isn't awful and if you really like the run of the mill AAA shooter genre then you might find this game worthwhile, but if you aren't a fan of quicktime events or linear set pieces then you won't enjoy yourself that much. Just about everything that Lara does is a quicktime event: fighting wolves, fighting people,I've only been playing for a couple hours but I really had to quit. This game isn't awful and if you really like the run of the mill AAA shooter genre then you might find this game worthwhile, but if you aren't a fan of quicktime events or linear set pieces then you won't enjoy yourself that much. Just about everything that Lara does is a quicktime event: fighting wolves, fighting people, climbing things; all of it is just onscreen prompts. Crystal Dynamics has made less a game and more a movie that occasionally checks to see if the audience has fingers. Expand
  13. Mar 8, 2013
    This game about a shooting, oceans of blood and Lara's falling. No adventure and challenging puzzles. This is not a Tomb Raider it's regular shooter with old famous name beyond which there is nothing.
  14. Mar 5, 2013
    First of all I don't see how you cant accurately review a game within the first hours. And Tomb Raider Linear and scripted? I wonder why that is? Maybe because it is a game where the story is supposed to be linear because it is a prequel to how Lara Croft became a BAMF, This game is meant to have a tighter grip on the beginning of the game because rather than going through stupid slowFirst of all I don't see how you cant accurately review a game within the first hours. And Tomb Raider Linear and scripted? I wonder why that is? Maybe because it is a game where the story is supposed to be linear because it is a prequel to how Lara Croft became a BAMF, This game is meant to have a tighter grip on the beginning of the game because rather than going through stupid slow boring tutorials that we all hate the game actually teaches you while going through Adrenaline filled action. The game is supposed to be a linear game and just because it is linear doesn't mean that's a bad thing. Before you judge this game correctly and accurately with a real review don't rage at it. From what I have played through the game is awesome and fun. Expand
  15. Mar 7, 2013
    Having never played any Tomb Raider games before I went into this with an open mind ready to see what the fuss was about. Sadly it was anything but 8/10 worthy. The start of the game is just about the only reason this game scored a 4 from me, as it really kicked off to great satisfaction. At the start it really feels like Lara is completely down and out and quite literally fighting for herHaving never played any Tomb Raider games before I went into this with an open mind ready to see what the fuss was about. Sadly it was anything but 8/10 worthy. The start of the game is just about the only reason this game scored a 4 from me, as it really kicked off to great satisfaction. At the start it really feels like Lara is completely down and out and quite literally fighting for her life. Things like having to search for food and shivering until the fire was complete was extremely nice touches. Then it just started to go downhill, and it didn't stop. I came into the game expecting a Action/Adventure/Puzzle/Platformer and what I got was a ACTION focused, semi-adventure with minor Platforming elements and a couple of crappy puzzles. The story was interesting but sadly the writing team completely ruined any intrigue the story had. Poorly timed cutscene interaction combined with strings of conversations which felt like they came straight out of 'Short story writing for dummies', ultimately made for boring character interaction and a few chuckles at strange conversation flow. Characters were extremely cliched but thankfully so few of them get any sort of development that you don't have to cringe to much at watching them become fully evolved walking Cliches. Lara's development is less 'Girl to Hardened Survivor' and more, 'Is this girl stupid, why would she ever want to go on an exploration ever again?' There was extremely few puzzles and they were all ridiculously easy. Tombs where the puzzles were, however, extremely gorgeous and it's probably worth going inside for a look but then not even bothering to do the puzzle. Platforming was there but extremely watered down. There was a moment where I was jumping around little rocky cliffs and I found a way to reach the ground, however upon landing on the ground from a tiny jump I died. I had hit a 'DeadZone', which frankly is a disgusting thing to have in a game and it really made me think twice before bothering to try any interesting platforming for the rest of the game because there was probably not going to be anything there or a deadzone. However I did continue trying and every platform stage is very 'hand-holdy', you never really get a chance to just jump around, you always have to use your tools and because of this just about any place you'd reach by platforming was extremely spelled out and the game practically guided you in bright yellow. The Graphics weren't anything to be overly proud of, if anything a bit below average for a 2013 AAA title (Probably slightly worse then Deus Ex Human Revolution and a little better then Mass Effect 3). Artstyle was probably akin to Mass Effect 3, very sort of standard video game, slightly cartoony realism. The opening Cinematic was fairly meh, not even close to the quality of the Openings to say; Deus Ex: HR, Witcher 2 etc. Cutscenes were well done but the Camera got a little funky from time to time and of course QTE (Quick Time Events) were just rife throughout which really detracted from them. On that matter the QTE's were a massive annoyance, having to use them for something as simple as a 'Stealth Kill' was just absurd, and then having to use them in practically every aspect of the game was just over the top. My final point, and this is where I'll sum up as well, is that simply it's sad when you play a game labeled as a; Action/Adventure/Platformer and the most polished and fun part of the game is the standard boring 'Call of Duty' style shooting elements. Based off how the game started I was expecting Alot of Adventure, Alot of Platforming and a bit of Action and then about 25% of the way through it just started to deteriorate rapidly and turned into a full on Action game with some basic Platforming. The final 50-60% of the game just felt like I was running from one scripted shooting encounter to the next, it didn't even feel like an adventure. It feels like they've tried to do what alot of Video Games lately are doing and attract the Call of Duty/Battlefield market. Which clearly has worked for them considering all the rave reviews from the same people who praise those lame shooters, but for someone like me who hasn't experienced a proper good Action/Adventure/Platformer since Donkey Kong 64, I was once again extremely let down. Expand
  16. Mar 5, 2013
    It could be any other game..besides Tomb Raider. Its very easy and its more of a movie you interact with than a game. Its about 70% Quick Time Events as far as I can see..which are very buggy to say the least. I have to keep restarting the client as they just don't work..and after googling it seems to be a common problem. For anyone who's a fan of the older Tomb Raider games likeIt could be any other game..besides Tomb Raider. Its very easy and its more of a movie you interact with than a game. Its about 70% Quick Time Events as far as I can see..which are very buggy to say the least. I have to keep restarting the client as they just don't work..and after googling it seems to be a common problem. For anyone who's a fan of the older Tomb Raider games like myself..don't get too excited. Its still enjoyable...just not as a Tomb Raider game. Its not even Lara..they messed with the character too much. Expand
  17. Mar 10, 2013
    The QTE's outnumber the actual puzzles, the controls and camera are clunky way too often that is, when you do actually have control (the game's ai will modify your trajectory so no precision is needed). The combat is repetitive, headshots basically line themselves up and you can dodge the ai's attacks damn near blindfolded. The gore is over the top and the plot feels shaky. Overall itThe QTE's outnumber the actual puzzles, the controls and camera are clunky way too often that is, when you do actually have control (the game's ai will modify your trajectory so no precision is needed). The combat is repetitive, headshots basically line themselves up and you can dodge the ai's attacks damn near blindfolded. The gore is over the top and the plot feels shaky. Overall it feels less like a genuine exploration platformer and more like one of the old FMV games on the original Playstation in the mid to late 90's. What we need is a Tomb Raider that goes back to the series roots that is, actual *Tomb Raiding* large expansive tombs, small and confined tombs, traps that try to kill you at every turn and require actual dexterity to evade, and jumps that require forethought, practice and flawless execution in order to progress. This game is not that, it's basically snuff-porn for people who like their victims filthy and drenched in gore. Expand
  18. Mar 5, 2013
    Which generation do you belong? Despite all the marketing tricks, TressFX (top notch performance-eater!) and a famous franchise title Tomb Raider, this game is a great example of a dumbed-down experience. Linear levels, scripted events... Every linear element is there to pretend you're an idiot who cannot learn how sand-box works, make your own decisions that could matter, change theWhich generation do you belong? Despite all the marketing tricks, TressFX (top notch performance-eater!) and a famous franchise title Tomb Raider, this game is a great example of a dumbed-down experience. Linear levels, scripted events... Every linear element is there to pretend you're an idiot who cannot learn how sand-box works, make your own decisions that could matter, change the outcome, etc. You're thrown into a pile of garbage. Follow your only path and do only what game tells you to. You're too stupid to decide. If you like games which take your hand and lead from point A to B all the time, you'll like this. Otherwise, prepare for a nightmare. And BTW, story is average. I don't play games for SFX. Ignore this game, if you truly love freedom. Ciugi out. Expand
  19. Mar 14, 2013
    Cut scene, quick time event, cut scene, quick time event, cut scene, quick time event, I freaking hate developers who ruin games like that. I just want to control the character myself, Is that too much to ask nowadays? If I want good story, I go and watch a movie or read a book. Why do devs have to put this linear cinematic push a button garbage into video games?
  20. Mar 7, 2013
    Tomb Raider (the reboot) is less of a game and more of a movie. First lets get the pro's out of the way:
    -The game is visually appealing. The atmosphere is set perfectly for each moment of the game.
    -Lara, the player's character, is well developed throughout the story of the 'game'. -Voice acting is good. Thats it for everything good about this game. Now for the con's: -Even though
    -Voice acting is good.
    Thats it for everything good about this game. Now for the con's:
    -Even though Lara is a great character, almost every other character is boring and 2-dimensional. You don't feel any connection with any of them.
    -Way too many cut scenes! Especially at the beginning of the game. Also, there are some sections which severely restrict the player's control. This isn't fun.
    -The dreaded quick-time event. There are also too many of them, and they appear when you least think. You never know if it will be a cut scene, or a random quick-time event. They aren't built into the combat system very well either. The only time I ever died was to this atrocity of a gameplay mechanic. Also, did I mention they aren't fun?
    -The so-called "platforming" is ridiculously easy. This is the one area they could have went crazy with, but they decided to play it safe and make it so easy even a toddler could beat it.
    -Hand-holding gameplay. Are you lost? Just use your 'survival instincts' to point you the direction you need to go. You seriously don't even need this because the areas are smaller than they look, and the game is mostly linear. You miss all your shots on the wolf pack thats about to eat you alive? Don't worry, we will toss some QTEs your way so you don't die right away. Regenerating health? Check. Frequent checkpoints? Check. Lackluster AI? Check.
    -Simplistic puzzle elements. Once in while, you get puzzles. Needless to say, most of them require little to no thinking on your part. There usually only a few elements to the puzzle, and even if you get stuck, you can use your 'survival instincts' to help you point out the elements.
    -Music is forgettable. I don't think I need to explain this further.
    -Story is average.
    -Lack of varied weaponry. You got your bow, pistol, and shotgun. Thats it, unless you want to count the axe that you use to pry open doors among other things.
    -Multiplayer mode... I don't even want to get into this. Tomb Raider has always been a single player game.

tl;dr version:
    Overall, this game is just too generic. It looks pretty, but thats about it. I am disappointed in how it turned out.
  21. Mar 10, 2013
    This is an awful step away from the basic Tomb Raider concept. If this game was called not "Tomb Raider" it could get away with 5 or 6 as a boring action/"movie". But we are presented with THIS instead of acrobatic puzzle with big open levels what a good Tomb Raider game should be. So it does not deserve even 1 point.
  22. Mar 6, 2013
    Pro's -

Graphically very pretty.
    Nice to see an incarnation of Tomb Raider where Lara Croft's haven't grown by a cup size between releases and not look like silicon implants.
    Better story line (but only just).
    Nixxes have made this a half-decent port from console.

CONS

Typical consoletard linear gameplay.
    Short probably less than 15 hours gameplay.
  23. Mar 10, 2013
    Das BESTE tomb Raider ever! Lerne eine Ganz neue Lara kennen... jung verletzlich aber trotzdem ungemein tough! sammle dir deine Waffen und Skills mühsam zusammen und grase Karten nochmal ab auch wenn du schon längst weiter bist! Das neue Gameplay, und die neue Steuerung ist das allerbeste am ganzen Game!!!! die Story super und der Filmcharakter des Spiels fasziniert bis zum letztenDas BESTE tomb Raider ever! Lerne eine Ganz neue Lara kennen... jung verletzlich aber trotzdem ungemein tough! sammle dir deine Waffen und Skills mühsam zusammen und grase Karten nochmal ab auch wenn du schon längst weiter bist! Das neue Gameplay, und die neue Steuerung ist das allerbeste am ganzen Game!!!! die Story super und der Filmcharakter des Spiels fasziniert bis zum letzten Augenblick!!
    DANKE DANKE DANKE für dieses spiel!!!
  24. Mar 28, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game, and on the plus side of things you have: The graphics, the aesthetics, the gameplay, the story, the atmosphere and the fact that the puzzle tombs are an option and not a requirement (though some puzzling and platforming is required for the story, ofcourse). Negatives: The amount of stuff you 'have' to pick up is insane and most of it makes no sense. Relics,I really enjoyed this game, and on the plus side of things you have: The graphics, the aesthetics, the gameplay, the story, the atmosphere and the fact that the puzzle tombs are an option and not a requirement (though some puzzling and platforming is required for the story, ofcourse). Negatives: The amount of stuff you 'have' to pick up is insane and most of it makes no sense. Relics, mushrooms, gps cache's etc. All of this is just dumb, the only things actually worth picking up is the documents, because they add to the story and character development, other than that you just get an xp bonus.

I would have liked to have the survival aspect of the game more thoroughly pronounced, I like that you have to salvage stuff to create your/upgrade your makeshift weapons, but they should have gone a bit further on that note if you ask me. Hopefully they will do that in the next game.
    I would have loved to see less QTE's aswell, or at least make them more apparent as to what you are supposed to do during the QTE, there was one where all it said was hit the button (not which one) when the circle blinks, and I have a keyboard, so there are lots of buttons to press. Anyway that would go down as a bug and something you can accept, since you will forget it later on.
    Also, stop with the achievement announcements and "model unlocked" stuff that happens almost constantly, it takes away from being completely gripped by the game. I would have been completely swallowed by it had these things not happened.
    A last negative is that the nVidia drivers for the game were horrible, which was both part crystal dynamics and nvidias fault, even if the game is "made for AMD" it makes no sense to have it so horribly optimized as it was for nvidia cards at launch. Crash to desktop, insane fps drops, weird gpu usage etc. This has all been fixed, but still, it should not have happened in the first place.

My verdict is a 9/10, the issues I have listed are, for me, enough to drag it down a point, but no further... This is a masterpiece, and 2013 has shown to be a great year, so far, for gaming, if you ask me.
  25. Apr 22, 2013
    One of the better story driven games I have played. I went into it not expecting much, but was instantly glued to my PC and couldn't stop until it was finished. Amazing graphics sound and story. Disappointed with Lara's development though, before you know it she will be mowing down waves of enemies, which doesn't fit her character at all. Definitely one of the best games so far thisOne of the better story driven games I have played. I went into it not expecting much, but was instantly glued to my PC and couldn't stop until it was finished. Amazing graphics sound and story. Disappointed with Lara's development though, before you know it she will be mowing down waves of enemies, which doesn't fit her character at all. Definitely one of the best games so far this year, recommend it highly, even over Bioshock. Expand
  26. Sep 15, 2013
    Why you should get this game"
    -Gorgeous scenery and graphics
    -Combat system is fun and dynamic -Cutscenes are not NEARLY as bad as reviewers are saying, really adds to the storyline and overall feel -Tomb raiding and puzzles are challenging and rewarding -Pulls you into the game (something that is VERY rare for me) Why you shouldn't buy the game: -Skill and crafting system is
    Why you should get this game"
    -Gorgeous scenery and graphics
    -Combat system is fun and dynamic
    -Tomb raiding and puzzles are challenging and rewarding
    -Pulls you into the game (something that is VERY rare for me)

Why you shouldn't buy the game:
    -Skill and crafting system is limited(ish)
    -Little stealth abilities (usually enemies already know you're there)

Conclusion:
    Buy it, buy it, buy it! Fun, enthralling storyline and gameplay. Worth your money.
  27. Jun 6, 2013
    Tomb Raider is a neatly packaged game. The visuals are great and the animations are nice and fluid. The environments are nicely designed and quite varied. The game also sounds great with enjoyable voice acting and the production values of the game is overall quite nice.

I personally really enjoyed the setting of the game and i liked the way the handled the story and character interactions. The shooting and jumping in the game is quite satisfying and i thought that it was varied enough for its appeal to last throughout the game. There are some annoying quicktime events here and there and the game is from time to time very much scripted and linear. But they do pull this off reasonably well and i found myself not hating the scripted nature of some of its gameplay.

But the game do also have some areas with more freedom which is a nice change of pace. The jumping puzzles in the game have taken a back seat for the shooting stuff and stylished jumping sequences. Personally i didnt mind since i am not a big fan of jumping puzzles but i do believe its worth mentioning. There is also a whole less tomb raiding than you would expect from a Tomb raider game. The tombs in the game are however quite enjoyable even though the puzzles aren't all that challenging.

The action in the game is quite enjoyable and i enjoyed that you could tackle different situations in a number of ways. The upgrade system is also a nice touch with unluckable silencers and stuff like that. The bow is also a fun weapon to use and it very much fits the setting of the game. One complaint i do have on the combat is the enemy variety. The humanoid enemies are varied enough but i believe that the game really would benefit from having more animal-based enemies. It would also really fit the setting to have stuff like big bears or some water based enemy in the game.

And while we are on the topic of the wild life. I do think that it is sad that the developers didn't expand on the hunting and gathering options in the game. That would have been a ton of fun and fitted the games setting. I did however enjoy the different collectibles a great deal.

Tomb Raider is to sum it up a pretty good game. It hardly reinvents the wheel and the scripted nature of the game and the way its quite action oriented may piss some people of. The game do however contain a quite good and meaty campaign and its definitely worth picking up if you are looking for a fun around 10 hour long campaign.
  28. Mar 10, 2013
    I love this game. I didn't decide to get it until boredom set in and I bought it on a whim, I'm very glad I did though. If you like action adventure, this will scratch that itch. I constantly find myself just exploring, even though most of the game is linear, there is still room for wandering around and making sure you don't miss anything. The combat is solid and the visuals are amazing.I love this game. I didn't decide to get it until boredom set in and I bought it on a whim, I'm very glad I did though. If you like action adventure, this will scratch that itch. I constantly find myself just exploring, even though most of the game is linear, there is still room for wandering around and making sure you don't miss anything. The combat is solid and the visuals are amazing. Lara looks and sounds great. The quick time events are annoying as ever, but they are few and far between. If you liked uncharted you will surely like this. Expand
  29. Mar 8, 2013
    This is the most realistic action/survival game I have ever played. I'm amazed by it. Sure there are some slightly unrealistic details such as using a ice axe on stone walls, or rope arrows but it is easy to overlook.

The voice acting, movements, emotion are all top notch. It isn't that far off from top notch movie quality. There are only very minor bugs I have encountered with the

There are only very minor bugs I have encountered with the release. It is stable, fun, and totally engrossing.
  30. Mar 9, 2013
    This is easily the best Tomb Raider game. And I'm a TR fan since the first one!
    This is easily the best Tomb Raider game. And I'm a TR fan since the first one!
    The graphics on PC are stunning, amazing. And they support the great atmosphere created by music and story, which is greatly great. The gameplay contains all the classical elements from the original Tomb Raider's. But they're obviously modified. Combat is great! Even if the AI isn't too smart, it still works well. The auto-cover system works very well too! The exploration is something really amazing: the hubs are really big! And the documents and the relics are really a lot! Also, the documents are super duper interesting. They tell you a lot about Yamatai's story and they're well written. In case you didn't know, Yamatai is the island where the game takes place. Following only the story path, you'll have a great and cinematic experience, but, I really tip you to collect everything to understand more about the history and then enjoy more the events in the game (at least on your first playthrough). There are a lot of emotional scenes in the game. The supporting cast (for the example the Endurance's crew) is amazingly done! I don't know why some people say that the secondary characters are not well made... they are well made! But... you have to collect their documents to understand more about them and to know them better. Now let's talk about the QTEs... well, even if I'm not a big fan of QTEs, they didn't bother me at all in the game. They were also good in some scenes. Also the ending is pretty epic. And iconic. I really love how Lara grows in the game. And there we come to an important piece: the skills upgrades and the gear upgrades. They are amazing. Maybe the gear upgrades are better done than the skills' ones... they're all great though! Well, what must I say now? Oh, eh, the atmosphere is really intense and very scary at some points in the game... Really scary. Love it! I also think that the game is pretty scripted. But not too much... because you can still face the situations in different ways... Well, I'm done. 10 out of 10. Amazing game. Congrats Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix.

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Jun 10, 2013
    The new incarnation of the iconic Lara Craft might very well be one of the best games out there right now. [April 2013]
  2. PC PowerPlay
    Mar 30, 2013
    Everything you could want from an archeological adventure, except having to press six keys to mantle. [Apr 2013, p.80]
  3. Mar 19, 2013
    While not every promising idea Tomb Raider has is pulled off successfully, it nevertheless turns in a tense and memorable ride that combines modern game design with its forebears’ adventurous spirit in some exciting ways. Some of its missteps may well come at the cost of your enjoyment, but most can’t hope to hurt the adventure in the long run. Although it never fully finds its identity, this is a game and a story worth seeing through.