8.5

1. Sep 16, 2013
    To everyone complaining about the cut scenes, start playing the game and stop complaining.
    This game is an artwork and a masterpiece.
    I have bought and played over 1000 games easily and I can compare to all the ones played before.
    No other game has this kind of story line and game play. The graphics are stunning and the cut scenes bring depth to the story and makes you feel like you
    are playing a movie and at the same time make you feel like you are part of the story yourself. (you do not like the cut scenes you can skip them for the whiners here below)

Also I could play many hours without getting frustrated about parts which you had to try over and over again like so many other games which are out there. Well balanced and well polished.

Whilst you play you earn different kind weapons which you can upgrade depending the time you spend finding the necessary pieces.

This is finally a game which uses save points as should, you die you do not have to play another 15 min before getting back at the point where you died.

Yes this is a total different kind of Tombraider (which the developers already mentioned so do not complain about this), almost no puzzles to solve like in the previous Tombraiders, but much more story, action and shooting.
  2. May 28, 2013
    I like the previous Tomb Raider games also, but this one... this one tops them all. Before, the foundation of Tomb Raider was it's game-play, caring much less about story, characters or even graphics. However, this one has them all. The story is well written and though out, the characters are interesting, the game-play is much more complex and witty, and the graphics are beautiful. Amazing game. By far 10/10. Expand
  3. Mar 6, 2013
    I enjoyed this game immensely. I am a long time Tomb Raider fan and I thought this game was a well needed breath of fresh air. I think Lara has earned back her treasure hunting crown from Nathan Drake (not bashing uncharted, love those games too) as there is plenty to see and explore in Tomb Raider, even after the story ends. Looks amazing on PC, excellent port by nixxes.
  4. Mar 6, 2013
    The game is fantastic. I feel really sorry for Lara! I love TR Legend, Anniversary and Underworld and i Love this Lara! It shows her fragile part! I give it a perfect 10!
  5. Sep 18, 2013
    Extremely good game. The story, graphics, gameplay, sound, atmosphere, immersion, it's ALL there. There is even innovation not the gameplay type, but still, innovation, which in my ratings is a prerequisite for a full 10/10 score. This innovation is the use of TressFX, which on my SLI GTX 580s worked well.

So basically, yes this game is somewhat like the Uncharted series, and that is a
    very GOOD thing. It's still Lara Croft, it's still Tomb Raider, and the types of puzzles we use to see in previous TR games are still to be found, except there's a lot more action, more story, more characters, more immersion, more of all that makes a game good.

Wrexmer is complaining about cut scenes and quick time events. I must say, both of these elements were extremely well done in this game, blending in well with the action and context, they are not disruptive at all. I can imagine some people have an absolute dislike for cut scenes and quicktime events, fine, but if that's not your personal case, then I say, you will love the cutscenes and quicktime events. As a matter of fact, in my opinion, this game has THE VERY BEST quicktime event implementation I have ever seen. So there.

There really is nothing negative I could say about this game. It could have been longer, but only because it is so excellent you can never have too much excellent gaming, right? I clock my playthrough on medium difficulty at 14 hours, which is very decent.

Overall, I cannot say enough good things about this game, it is a SPLENDID release, and for once, fully worth the full retail/launch price of $49.99. I almost feel guilty getting it on special for $12.49. Yes, it's that good.
  6. Mar 17, 2013
    This is a fantastic reboot, and very few people are acknowledging the real bright spots. They've transformed Lara Croft from a bimbo sex object to a real person you care about. I found myself not wanting to die in the game because I didn't want the character to suffer. When's the last time you felt that in a game? Half-Life 2 with Alyx, if you're like me. The much hated quick time events are in the first hour of the game. Many of these haters did not play past them! Later on the quick time events become thrilling as they're incorporated into huge cinematic set pieces, and they're very intuitive instead of frustrating. This game has fantastic suspenseful combat. I just finished Crysis 3 and Far Cry 3; neither game produced the frantic feeling Tomb Raider does regularly. This game has perfect controls. When you miss a jump or something it's always your fault not the game screwing you. This game has great exploration. I couldn't wait to see what's around the next corner. The only negatives I have are those early quick time events and the stupid dialog coming from the henchman. They really should've come up with some better lines for those guys. But really it's the transformation of Lara Croft that should be widely praised. Expand
  7. Mar 6, 2013
    EVERYONE SHOULD BUY THIS GAME!! Ok, maybe not everyone but just people who want to play a generic Uncharted clone starring whiny emotional sissy Lara Croft. But, despite many many flaws this game has, I am giving this game a PERFECT 10 because I want my voice to be actually heard out there. I had my original 4/10 review deleted because Square Enix apparently paid just about everybody off. Don't give it to all the hype if you are a true Tomb Raider fan and appreciate games for their gameplay, rather than just TressFX graphics of Lara's hair. Who the %$ck cares about the hair in video games?!! Peace out. Expand
  8. May 14, 2013
    Great graphics (especially for a port) and engaging gameplay. The campaign is memorable but the multiplayer is more-of-the-same. In any case, it's worth every penny for the campaign alone (I played it 3 times, 40h+ in total). You shouldn't pass 2 thumbs up!
  9. May 26, 2013
    Tomb Raider is just as epic as we expected it to be. And adventure filled with endless fun, it is an incredibly well made reboot that has easily managed to leave Uncharted in the past.
  10. Apr 8, 2013
    It is rare that a game will come up and take my breath away and even more rare that it will hold it for so long. Tomb Raider is one of those rare games that accomplishes both. I'd like to start off by saying I'm no fan of the Tomb Raider series. I was always ambivalent to the series. I have never played one all the way through and never found any of them all that compelling that is until now.

It is rare that I come across a game with such a well-written story and such rich character development. Square Enix really outdid themselves this time. I have always been a huge fan of video games in general, but always wished they would focus more on good writing and character development something sorely lacking in a vast majority of games today. This game really came through in this department, and I feel I really understand the character of Lara Croft so much better now. It has drawn me into the mythos that I was so disinterested in before. I certainly cannot wait for future titles, and hope this game ends up where it belongs holding a place in history as one of the better examples of great story, writing, and character development in video games and perhaps even sparks a renaissance of good writing that this industry so badly needs.

As far as gameplay, graphics, sound, and all the other aspects of what makes a game good or great Tomb Raider really hits the mark on each of these. The exceptional combination of each of these aspects of the game only help to support the real thrill here and that's being along for the ride of this great adventure with Lara and her crew. It really feels like I'm playing a movie but almost never do I feel like I'm doing so on rails. I feel in constant control, and always in a manner where my decisions decide the fate of Lara and her crew members. This is what a game should be. Highly Recommended!
  11. Jan 1, 2014
    Let me start by saying that even back at the 90's i was saying that the Tomb Raider series is just some hyped rubbish.
    On the other hand Legacy of Kain series IMO is the best game series ever made (by billion miles away from anything else).
    This Tomb Raider though has nothing to do with the old rubbish series, this is a proper Crystal Dynamics Game. (even though that some members from
    the LoK Series arent in CD now)

Honestly Tomb Raider is better in everything than all 3 uncharted games combined.
  12. Mar 26, 2013
    I have never been this pleasantly surprised by a video game before. Unfortunately, this is my first Tomb Raider game, so these aren’t the thoughts of a diehard fan. Therefore, I can’t tell you whether the franchise took a step in the right direction or not. I was personally anticipating Tomb Raider to be a mediocre copy of an Uncharted game, and I don’t think that my inaccuracy has ever brought me this much happiness. In fact, comparing this with Uncharted is rather silly, because the similarities between the two games end rather quickly. Tomb Raider is its own game with its own unique features. The gameplay is everything I could’ve asked for, and more. You gain XP and purchase skills that are divided into three different branches, or “skill trees”. There are many different ways to gather resources, which allow you to upgrade the 4 weapons Lara finds throughout her journey, each of which have unique advantages in combat. In addition, challenges and collectables are introduced with rewarding incentives, which will encourage you to dive into these fun optional features. While the characters may not have these remarkably appealing personalities, Crystal Dynamics gave us an incredibly strong protagonist. Lara Croft is a clever and tough woman who plays the “hero role” perfectly. Character detail and animations are nearly lifelike and the cut-scenes are cinematically brilliant. So far, many of the releases this year has disappointed me, but Tomb Raider was a friggin’ home run. My game of the year for 2013 may have already arrived. Expand
  13. May 19, 2013
    By far the best game I've played in a while. I wish they had a way to take screenshots better, some of the environments are awesome and would make for a great desktop background. The puzzles could be a bit harder. One of the few games I'll beat, and will probably even play twice.
  14. Mar 9, 2013
    The graphics are un-god-damn-believable. It's fully decked out for PC and then ported to console, not the other way around. Every frame of this game is a work of art. It's an adventure and not a blood fest. Open world. Love it.
  15. Mar 5, 2013
    This is a really good game, every aspect of the game is very polished. From the graphics to the voice acting. It is as good if not better than the Uncharted games on the PS3 in every way (except multiplayer but who plays uncharted multiplayer anyway)
  16. Apr 21, 2013
    Tomb Raider is a superb action adventure! I never expected to be this impressed by it but it is a very well made and balanced 3rd person action title. I really think i prefer this to Uncharted as well it has a more serious and dramatic tone to it. The atmosphere the game creates really sucks you in and leaves you in awe at every cut scene especially on PC. Well worth everyone's money.
  17. Apr 6, 2013
    AmazingAwesomeIncredibleOutstandingExcellentMarvellousBreath taking.
    This is how I would describe Tomb Raider, since the first time I saw the gameplay at E3 I knew that I'll love it, I knew that I had to buy it, and it was my most anticipated game of 2013. My anticipations were high but there is no doubt that Tomb Raider not only met with my anticipations but also surpassed it. You are
    playing Lara Croft before she became the legend that we know today, she is just a young woman who is searching for legendary myth with her crew-friends, unfortunately for her a storm hit their ship and everyone is stucked on an unknown island and to make it worse there are people in the island, very dangerous people that will kill anything in their sight. Lara needs to learn how to hunt, how to kill and how to survive on this island. this is where the legendary Lara Croft is born and you are going to remember the moments, the hardship that Lara is going to endure. This is the first game that I ever cared about keeping the main character alive cause if you don't you will witness many gruesome deaths that even the mortal kombat can't be compared to. If you think about buying it don't think just buy, and remember it isn't the multiplayer that makes this game amazing its the single-player campaign that you will remember for a very long time. Tomb Raider is without a doubt 2013 game of the year Expand
  18. Mar 11, 2013
    This game does everything right. EVERYTHING. Great story, gameplay, graphics, music, puzzles, level design, controls, content. And no bugs. When is the last time a game came out and the prepatched game was not riddled with bugs? People seem to nitpick the crap out of this game, and I cannot understand why. Be sure to look at a reviewer's history before taking too much stock in what they say. 10/10. Expand
  19. Mar 5, 2013
    I don't often write reviews but... wow. I Am absolutely blown away, I didn't expect anything from this game. I enjoyed the old games, (1,2, Angel of darkness, underworld) but this one just blew me away, the intro was great and it kept me going, the adrenaline doesn't stop and the action just keeps coming, I even feel bad for Lara after everything she goes through.

The graphics are
    sensational (I'm running a gtx680), the hair effects look amazing most of the time, but they have their glitches and screw ups (like the effects disappearing for a second and her hair looking bland during intense cut scenes, it could be a driver thing or something they could patch). As mentioned the story is thrilling and keeps you wanting more, the side quests are worthwhile and brings back old Lara memories. The gameplay is solid, the free running reminds me of assassins creed mixed with old school lara. The bow is great, the guns can feel a bit clunky at times but still suits fine considering she wouldn't be a gun expert. Point blank confrontations with enemies are awkward at first but goes nicely with the story, but once you adapt and learn abilities it works out great and flows greatly.

Overall a true underdog for me and a very nice recreation of Lara. Good job crystal.
  20. Sep 13, 2013
    This game evolved Lara Croft in a way I never imagined. gone are the big boobs and ass but in its place Is something much more mature and intriguing. In a world where developers are dumbing down games for the average casual gamer, crystal dynamics have gone above and beyond and its really paid off...big time! congratulations on a truly epic game!
  21. Apr 6, 2013
    Awesome game and plots. Real challenges. Love the gameplay and graphics and found that I soon got very immersed in the game and really felt I was being hunted. My Game of the year. Beats Bioshock Infinite hands down and is the quality of Far Cry 3. This is a game worth the money whatever you pay for it.
  22. Mar 26, 2013
    I knew this wasn't going to disappoint considering this Tomb Raider was inspired in one of the best PS3 games, the Uncharted Series.
    This is a fantastic reboot and a step in the right direction. I just hope we get a sequel soon, because i loved and enjoyed every minute and completed it %100.

The environment and the atmosphere is insane, the storyline is really good. It's amazing how
    Lara personality change over the course of the game in her first adventure. She changes from a naive and scared Lara Croft, to the badass Lara we all know from the past installments.
    The gameplay is fantastic and it adds a lot of value the fact that you can fast travel and go back to the beginning of the game to collect whatever you left behind during your playthrough. I enjoyed a lot going back to different areas after finishing the game, just to enjoy the beautiful scenery of the island without being chased by freaks trying to kill me.

The only thing they could have improved is the MP, which is not that good when you compare it with Uncharted MP. But still, when you play a Tomb Raider game, you play it for its single played and the storyline.

What else can i say?. Tomb Raider is one of my favorite franchise since my very childhood when the first TR came out. This really was a nice surprise and i hope they keep making more like this. They did a tremendous job with this game and even if competition is tough this year, i hope it wins the GOTY or some other awards.
  23. Apr 24, 2013
    I just finished playing the game, and having played through every game up until the recent installments I was really hoping that this reboot deviated from the worn down pattern of the old games. While they had their charms, especially the first two games, the games were now beyond repetition and consistently suffered from the usualy clunky controls and poor camera angles ("leap of faith jumps" anyone).
    The reboot delivered!, and I found myself quite immersed in the game, especially near the end. The gameplay is one of the better ones i've played in a while, and the very few times i missed a jump was probably my own fault. Lara's movement looks natural as she gracefully navigates her surroundings. And the game had some pretty epic setpieces. Having a reasonable computer i was able to play this game on the maximum settings (though nvidia cards still suffer from the tessalation bug), and the visuals were simply stunning (especially compared to the console versions), though some color pallettes are a little questionable, especially the shantytown looked a little murky (i've got a E-IPS panel, it's not me). The TressFX feature is also a nice touch, though this is only a option if you’ve got a decent graphics card. (Make sure you update your drivers if you’ve got a Nvidia card). Bottomline, it should be said that allot of time went into these visuals, and the Eidos/Square Enix gets some kudo’s for that.
    Replayability is good, meaning i will definitely pick it up again after a while. Reason being that the game gives you the option to continue the game to hunt for the collectables after the end. So for the completionists, there is no immediate reason to replay the game again shortly after, you can just continue.
    Besides the story there is enough for you to do, though this ultimately comes down to mostly collectables. There are also allot of Secret Tombs for you to discover, though these seem a tad bit underdeveloped. Having been used to the huge dungeons in Skyrim, i found myself scratching my head when I was done in about 5 minutes sometimes. These had allot more potential as it was really exhilarating when you entered them with only your flaming torch, not knowing what was in there.
    The story is no shakespear, but it presents itself well enough for you to care long enough. The only real issue with the story is the somewhat predictable characters, that sometimes display slasher-movie type stupidity (“Let’s split up!”). I've also got to mention that i do not share the statements that there are huge plotholes, everything can be explained with some common sense, and most of it is also explained in the books/documents scattered arround the island. I think it all comes down how well you're able to immerse yourself. Also there are people mentioning the disconnection between Lara’s story and the gameplay. She seems to quickly go from defenseless girl to badass. It is explained she is not new to this, but just never put it into actual practice (traning with Roth). Though i do agree it is borderline believeable.
    Bottomline, I’m glad Eidos/Square decided to reboot this series. The series didn’t age well, and it was ultimately a gamble for the studios investing allot in this game. I think they did an excellent job and i feel i got my moneys worth. I’m also glad a forgotten icon of gaming history finaly has some of her shine back. I'm anxious to see where the serie goes from here.

I really hope though, that they keep the emphasis on single player next installment. Who really needs a Tomb Raider multiplayer.. it felt tacked on.
  24. Mar 7, 2013
    Simply put, the best adventure game in 10+ years. It's breathtaking on the PC. Beautiful, emotional, tense and filled with some of the best set pieces ever put into a game. In all seriousness, any of these reviewers that complain about the QTE's haven't gotten past the first 2 hours of the game. They can blah, blah, blah all they want, however, they have absolutely no idea of what their talking about because THEY HAVEN'T FINISHED THE GAME. If you're going to review it, FINISH IT. Anyway, just to put this out there, Daverid or whatever his name is, is a complete and utter moron on his review. Point blank. This is THE game to get for this generation. After completing the game, I've clocked in over 20 hours. Fantastic and utterly sensational. Love it. Kudos to Crystal D for this game. Expand
  25. Mar 10, 2013
    This game is easily a masterpiece. They very carefully created every single detail in it. You can see the love the developers handled the genre. The graphics are beautiful, the artworks you unlock are simply gorgeous, the animation is realistic and fluent. The theme is very dark and I guess it was a nice way to go though it maybe just my personal preference. I really can't think of anything negative literally. The gameplay is simple and fun. The story is enjoyable. Some people mentioned the characters are quite one dimensional and I quite agree, but then again the focus characters are well done (the transition of Lara is really well put together imo). I wanted to wait a little until it's price drops a little (because it isn't cheap), but I didn't regret buying it at all. The gaming scene could use more detailed and mature games like this. Expand
  26. Apr 20, 2013
    This is how you reboot a game, it's really a 8 to 9 but I wanted to balance out all the idiots who gave it a 4 or less due to bad reasons. The quick time events are fine because it was the only way for me to actually feel surprised when I have to press something out of no where. None of them are even hard, you have like two different buttons to watch out for and sometimes you have to press left and right. If you get caught off guard, the death scenes are very well done. How can anybody say there's not enough exploration? You have the (keyword)choice of exploring an entire island and there's a ton of things to explore. I like the assassin creed like instinct thing, I guess some people enjoy mentally keeping track of where they are in the world but I prefer to not have to look at the map all the time. This does make the puzzles super easy though, I didn't google a single solution, they were all very straight forward and sometimes Laura will even blurt out a hint. The story definitely starts out pretty strong, but it gets pretty predictable towards the end. I was never sure if they were going to go with a scientific explanation or magic until about half way through. The game is a bit on the too easy side, the only time I died was from surprising quicktime events and the huge fire fights at the end. However, it's definitely fun, it's one of the few games in the recent years where I had to finish it. Expand
  27. Mar 6, 2013
    I find it hard to believe people are seriously complaining about QTE's in this game. There really aren't that many. I'm currently 49% through the game and I'm having a blast. I'd say about 8/10 fights I get into are just pure action shooting/brawling where the remaining two will have QTE's involved (So seriously it's not that much and they add a nice transition to standard beat em up)

The graphics are very impressive on Lara's character model, so much that it actually makes the environment look not as outstanding. Same goes for the other characters as well, though it's not so crazily different it makes your jaw drop.

The skills and weapon upgrades actually make an impact which is important to me, it's not one of those games that has a linear skill upgrade design (for instance you only have one skill to upgrade or you pick between two and that's it). The movement is perfect, throughout what I've played thus far, I never had an issue with controlling Lara around the environment, jumping from platforms etc. (Also I play with the Keyboard and Mouse, not a gamepad just for noting)

The game isn't as "open-world" as I'd hoped it would've been. Like the other Tomb Raider games it still is somewhat linear, though they do have secret tombs you can raid to get unlockables and very nice experience for skills in.

The combat is very fun and fluid. I say fluid in terms of being smooth (It's a word I've taken to when describing combat in games...) as in it doesn't feel clunky at all. Which was actually quite a relief to me as most games deliver on so many fronts then lack in the combat area where it just feels like a jumbling mess.

The voice acting is great but there have been a few moments where it was somewhat embarrassing too. Not enough to make me not want to play the game though that's for sure!

Old style Tomb Raider fans can also rejoice, they do still have puzzles in the side-tombs that you raid. Though using the survival instinct (Q) can really pave the way for you, so for an additional challenge I'd recommend resisting the use of it!

All in all, I'm finding this game to be very exciting and fun. With the amount of hype and games that have been coming out lately that all turn to crap.. I'm very glad I didn't go wrong in pre-ordering this one! Also for an added note I'm on 7 hours of play time at 49% complete to maybe give you an idea of the length of the game. (I go off exploring every now and then but not extensively) Also for anyone curious about it's port to PC, it really feels like it was meant to be for the PC. Not saying console users got the raw end by any means though! Just stating something that must be said about all games from the console/pc-wide play-ability because the port to the PC can often be a nightmare without a controller!

Thanks for reading! Hope my review helped in someway ^_^
  28. May 8, 2013
    i've not played many of the past tomb raider games, i did play the very first one i think and there was a moment in that game, where the T-rex chases you that i still remember today. This new game has so many of those moments i've really just luved it all the way. The game really captures the emotions of being alone in a very dangerous place. Lara is scared and desperate changing to determined and resolute. the change is a journey that the player really connects with during the game.

The game is quite linear, but you can revisit old spots to complete achievements. This really lets you take the game at your own pace. Some of the set scenes you just need to repeat until you figure the strat out, but luckily the game saves you to the very start of that set scene (so you don't need to repeat the lead up to the event).

so basically,
    i luved the story
    luved the connection with the character
    luved the intensity and pace of the game
    --> get it!
    PS quite intense, graphic and violent not for kids.
  29. Mar 5, 2013
    Looks like GOTY just got sown up.. this is art.. this is movie and game become one. This is what we wanted and NEEDED after a lackluster and disappointing start to 2013. I love it. and cannot get enough. Awesome.
  30. Mar 6, 2013
    Quite surprised how good this game to be turned out to be, easily one of the best action-adventure games in years. Very fluid gameplay, top line graphics and action filled engaging story. This is one of very few games where QTEs aren't too annoying and actually play a good part during action scenes. Gameplay is a good mix of stealth and firefights, the AI isn't too great but that is pretty common these days. Story is a great twist on typical Tomb Raider adventure, people who like the concept of the Lost show will love it. Expand
  31. Mar 5, 2013
    This game is just insanely good. I was thinking it was just a hype, like Far Cry 3, Skyrim (that I thought a little tedious), but no, this game is just the top 5 best games in this generations (PS3, Xbox360, PC), that soon the generation is over. Awesome graphics, awesome dinamic, and I think the best was the sound, that was marvelous. People that are giving yellow scores is the "Uncharted" fans. Altought I have to say I love Uncharted series, there's no match to Lara Croft and this games just raised the bars that Uncharted brought. They're just jealous. At some points I got goosebumps playing the game. Well, if you have any doubt, don't waste your time, play this game now. There's no way you can regret. Expand
  32. Apr 21, 2013
    I came here to give Tomb Raider 2013 a score of 10. I've done this. Tomb Raider has great voice acting, great graphics, great environments, great story, great characters, great multiplayer. great gameplay. I've been playing games all my life. I know games. Trust me. Buy this. You will not regret it.
  33. Mar 8, 2013
    In summary... GET THIS GAME.

I rarely find a game that will want me coming back for more. This game not only made me eager to get back to playing it, but I'm also eager to play through it again! After playing only one tomb raider game I hadn't had a high impression of the tomb raider franchise and the only reason I looked into getting this game is the extreme positive feedback from some
    reviews. The graphics are amazing, some of the most beautiful I have ever seen. The detail put into Lara, the characters and the scenery is outstanding (I can't think of a word to praise it enough). The story is very original; I think they did the right thing by starting a reboot with a novice Lara and building up her character and personality through the emotional story. I liked the combat and controls, it is kept simple and fits in with her character (for example, instead of blocking she dodges attacks). The QTE felt simple but were extremely intense as most situation escalated quickly as our poor Lara was thrown around or falling once again. There are only minor things that this game could have improved on; the enemy AI felt like it was just a wave after wave of mindless drones and QTE were sometimes so well implemented I didn't know whether I was to watch an action scene or start moving Lara. Overall this game is brilliant and a very successful reboot. I expect another game to come after this one (I would be very disappointed if they didn't). Expand
  34. Mar 11, 2013
    If you're not playing this game you're missing out. The game is an epic reboot of the franchise. The cuts scenes are rendered in real time. No quicktime as some of the less inspired reviews complain about. I have a fancy gaming rig with an AMD card. LC's hair is rendered much better than in the trailer. I highly recommend a play through on Ulitmate graphics setting if most of your WE scores are 7.9.

The plot of the game makes you want to finish it. The island is like survior. Many of the original Endurance passangers meet gruseome ends throught the gameplay. The combat system and skill tree is very good. Throw sand in an enemies face and take the headshot, The game has very few bugs. I am about halfway through. Only one crash in 10 hours of play.
  35. Mar 13, 2013
    Great game. With the exception of the quick time events this game has everything I want out of a Tomb Raider game. Although it's linear there is plenty to explore, and you never really get that feeling that you're being shoved down a corridor.

The puzzles are brilliant, on par with what you'd expect from Valve or a Half-Life game. They're not outlandish either, nor are they overly
    simple puzzles a 5 year old could do. They make you sit there and think.

The game has a high level of polish when it comes to environments and just about everything. Tomb Raider again shows other developers where the goddamn bar should be when it comes to this. I never once found a shoddy blurry ass texture, or a bad model. The character models are well done, shapely and are well proportioned for the most part. I can't praise this enough, it does not feel like it was rushed out the door at all like so many games do. The artists took their time and it payed off hugely in my opinion.

All character models are done to a high level of quality, even ones that are only in the game for a handful of scenes like the pilot. Half assed wankers like Gearbox would make the pilot a low poly, low res textured series of boxes. They go full out here modelling the uniform, helmet, everything it's incredible really. Including the planes.

The animation is above anything else I have seen in a long time. The animation in this game is on a par with Avatar or a Pixar movie in terms of being fluid. Everything is smooth and clean. There are no wooden characters like Fallout 3, or moments when you think 'oh right I'm playing a videogame'.

This game is what you put down 50 beans for, it is where the bar should be for video games.

This game makes Far Cry 3 look like a joke in my opinion. It does just about everything better and adds characters that you give a about. It's just not an FPS

The lack of any poor textures/****ty meshes is just such a refreshing change.

The game would be close to perfection if it wasn't for the quick time events.

Industry more of this please. I'll be honest I usually end up hating most games put out these days but this one really brought me back to when gaming was more than just running down a corridor in Call of Duty, or playing some generic shooter RPG with hurr durr memes like Borderlands 2.

The survivor element to the story was done perfectly, it didn't hold off on the broken bones, and harsh survival aspect of it which is perfect. Lara is convincingly terrified along with her friends and again the level of polish makes the difference in pulling you into the game.

If you're thinking of buying this, do so. It's a good length and I promise you will enjoy some aspect of it unless you're the typical CoD shooter fan who can't follow basic instruction. In which case you probably stopped reading this due to your ADD about a few hundred words back.

The industry needs more games like this where developers don't half ass it. There's a high level of polish and dedication to giving the gamer a full bodied experience that isn't broken half way through by lego-like meshes, textures that are 50 x 50 in terms of resolution, or hammy as dialogue.

Talent worked on this game and it's clear to see that.

If you're the type of gamer that pours over details or likes to stop and smell the roses, you'll like this. If you're not into that, stop playing video games. Just stop trying in general because you're not interested in experiencing anything beyond what you already know.

This game has honestly reminded me where video games should be but aren't. There's originality in this, there's something in there for people who want some nostalgia, shooting, exploration, an xp system, and one doesn't compromise the other.

Tomb Raider makes RE6, Ass Creed, and nigh on hundreds of others look like the dog**** they are.

The story isn't perfect I'll concede that, but by today's standards it's on par with Dickens nearly.

More.. please..
  36. Mar 10, 2013
    I've played through all the TR games yet none of them held up to the first two that were released in 1996 and 1998. Every sequel that Core Design put out since then was a steady decline towards irrelevance. There were flashes of brilliance here and there young Lara lost in an island in TR: Chronicles was one such moment. But nothing really felt right. Crystal Dynamics went down the right path when they launched Legends in 2006 and Underworld was another step in the right direction. I'm glad Crystal realized that they needed to sit back and rethink the whole franchise to make Lara and more importantly, that particular brand of gameplay she became famous for, relevant again. Tomb Raider 2013 is delightfully well made and I haven't been able to stop playing it for a couple of days now.

VISUALS: Out of the box the game looks good. The character models are detailed, the texture work is crisp, and there are nice dx11 effects peppered throughout. Its not the best thing out there (having just played through Crysis 3 recently) but it is more modern than Lara has ever been. Not certain when Nvidia is going to fix the whole TressFX thingamajig, but the sooner the better. The detailed physics-based hair looks awesome, but it will murder your framerate at the moment (even on an Nvidia GTX680). The graphics are helped by a terrific art direction. Things are constantly grim on this troublesome island. The color palettes are darker than what we've typically seen in past Croft games or that other game that many adamantly compare this TR reboot to: Uncharted. The PC version benefits from a host of manually controlled bells and whistles. Thanks to the excellent job done by Nixxes, who I believe also handled Deus Ex on PC. Here's to hoping some crafty modders enhance the game even further.

STORY: From what I've played so far (about 40% in), the story is great. its not the games strongest suite (that would be the gameplay itself), but its well put together and will make you care for Lara a great deal. What starts out as a terrified yet curious youngling is slowly turning into a more confident and capable adventurer. I'm not even sure when the transition started taking place and I applaud Crystal Dynamics for making it such a subtle experience so far. The game's core is purely Lara. There is a great grand mystery about the island and its inhabitants but that's best left for you to explore and me to ignore in this review. I'm not even sure how the game is going to end, being where I am right now, but it is intriguing in a Lost-ish/Lord of the Flies way.

GAMEPLAY: I love the gameplay. the controls are excellent and responsive to the action on-screen. Every weapon feels right. Every desperate leap feels tense. Every confident landing feels rewarding. The puzzles are a bit watered down compared to older TR games, but that, I fear is a function of this generation's addiction to instant gratification.
    The open world is well implemented. Obviously, it isn't as wildly open as a Bethesda or Rockstar North production, but it is a well thought-out and frequently rewarding sandbox. There are some light RPG mechanics in that you can unlock new abilities to give Lara an extra edge across three broad traits. The game has a startling bit of violence. I'm not complaining but it is a bit shocking to see Lara get suddenly and brutally impaled. Then there are the optional tombs and the plethora of trophy hunts. Exploring and hunting for trophies makes absolute sense in a Lara Croft game. As much as I loved the Batman Arkham games, the whole trophy hunting was very uncharacteristic of the Caped Crusader. Gotham's burning but "BRB lol, Riddler Trophies!"

AUDIO: The voice acting is largely good. Kudos to the lead, played by the lovely Camilla Luddington. The other supporting cast members aren't as great, save for maybe 1 or 2. Honestly, I feel the generic bad guys have more exciting and better acted banter. The music, frequently a stand-out component of previous TR games, does its duty. Perhaps not as memorable as some of the older games, but it does a good job in supporting the narrative thread and the action.

FINAL THOUGHTS: I truly think this is the first great game of 2013. After the string of disappointments that were Dead Space 3 and Crysis 3, I had pretty much resigned myself to X-Com until this game came out. Good or bad I was going to get my hands on Tomb Raider. Fortunately, this easily surpasses every single Tomb Raider game since 1998 and can confidently take a place among the original games that made Lara so endearing.
  37. Mar 28, 2013
    Tomb Raider had great graphics. I loved the game how they made an innocent Lara Croft into a survivor. I really got into this game. I do hate action cut scenes, but other than that it really was a good game. I think they did a wonderful job.
  38. Mar 31, 2013
    Great and Nice game and alot of actions And amazing store
    But not much in graphics
    I like it to much Even it support more then language like arabic
    And there is alot of hidden things
  39. May 4, 2013
    This game is absolutely amazing! This is a proper way to give a back-story to one of the most iconic characters of video industry. I guarantee you, that by the time you finish Tomb Raider, you will fall in love with Lara Croft (and if you are a gamer who actually remembers the first game, you will realize that you missed her). The graphics, and camera work are STUNNING! The key moments are ALWAYS presented in a jaw-dropping way. The combat feels great and natural, with just the right amount of toys to play with. The platform elements are a cool reminder, that this is still Tomb Raider, in its essence. I do not agree with some complains, that I've seen. I don't think the game is too easy. And too many cutscenes? They are not intrusive, and feel like a reward, not a nuisance. In fact, they make you feel like a hero. To sum up, TR franchise couldn't have asked for a better reboot, and I would place this entry on par with the first (and, in my memories, the best) game of the series. GOTY so far. Expand
  40. Dec 26, 2013
    As a big fan of the Series, i was skeptical about the new game, as it goes a totally different way in terms of gameplay, however i was incredibly wrong.

This game made me feel like i was actually in the game, the sound, the level design, the art direction, it is so beautiful, then in comes the actual gameplay, whilst it starts off a bit generic, it soon opens up to be so much more if
    you are willing to give this game the attention it so does deserve.

The Tombs gave me the nostalgia i crave from the older games, whilst the rest of the game offers a more complete and detailed game.

My favorite part of this titles has to be the character acting, Lara is incredibly well done in this title, and the voice is fantastically done, a real stunner of a game.
  41. Jul 16, 2013
    The reviews stating that this game doesn't have the same "feel' as the previous TR games are all correct. This game is much more visceral, open, 'realistic' and has vastly better voice/character acting. There were some scenes that brought me nearly to tears they were so incredible.
    Stellar graphics, game play mechanics, level design, AI and story.
    This game has earned a very rare 10/10
    from me.
    If you just simply hate cut scenes, you may take 2 points off of this score, it's ok by me.
  42. Mar 13, 2013
    I will give this a 10 simply because I was amazed. When I played this game random thoughts sounded like: "How much work has been put in this game to make it so amazing"... I was impressed, the story is acceptable (I wouldn't call the story mind-blowing, what is mind-blowing is the overall feel)
  43. Mar 30, 2013
    Sim nota 10 e vou vou informar que apesar de algumas falhas esse game épico merecia 11 mas como justamente nada perfeito toam um 10 XD
    A única coisa um pouco falha o modo multiplayer o restante tão absurdamente perfeito
    Começando com os gráficos que são supreendentes. andei acompanhando o desenvolvimento desde o inicio final de 2010 e sempre nos foi mostrado gráficos péssimos e
    inacabados, eu realmente fui pego de surpresa na versão final principalmente com a maravilha revolucionária TressFX.
    A jogabilidade tem uma vasta combinação mas tão simples executa-los. Os movimentos da Lara estão incrivelmente realistas, a Camilla fez um ótimo trabalho oral e corporal.
    A trilha sonora mais que perfeita, fico pensando quão gênio esse Jason Graves que conseguiu superar o que sempre desde sempre o ponto auge da franquia. Cada som intensifica as sensações
    o enredo apesar de bem clichê a maneira que a Lara evolui incrível, pegaram o tema perdido numa ilha bem passado e desenvolveram de uma maneira inovadora.
    Enfim simplesmente ÉPICO, mais que um simples jogo para ser salvo uma vez e ser deixado de lado. volta com força total de um ícone chamado Lara Croft
  44. Mar 6, 2013
    Simply put, this game is a cinematic marvel. Regardless of the occasional crashes (assumed to be fixed in future updates) and various game play criticisms I've seen, Tomb Raider Reborn surpassed my meager expectations within the first 30 minutes of playing. You won't be disappointed.
  45. Mar 8, 2013
    I have no words that could describe the epic of new Tomb Raider. It cannot also be presents on any of the films or screens. You have to play it yourself! In my opinion, there is no team wchich is able to achieve that what Crystal Dynamics achieved. Yes, I have to say it loud the new Tomb Raider is the best game I've ever played
  46. Mar 22, 2013
    Absolutely amazing! This game is so engaging and I could not put down my controller for hours and hours. Interesting story, fine combat mechanics, exciting adventures! The game has much to do even after the main story. Revisiting areas with new gears and find collectibles. Watching how Lara change and grow throughout the game is also very intriguing. Buy it.
  47. Apr 19, 2013
    There is only one word that could approximate a definition for this game: "Masterpiece".

I'm an old TR fan to let it understand to the few people who can understand it around the world, there are not many ones who can say "in Tomb Raider II I entered THAT door", well, I'm one of them. I was waiting for a game like this since.... Well, back to the review, this game is 100% well
    balanced, to point out few things I would improve: 1) the level design is "nearly perfect", only I'm missing a little the "how the F... I can reach that spot feeling, I hope that in a sequel this could be addressed cause the platforming is however rewarding as never but I feel that a bit more challenge could add to the experience. 2) Lara is responding in a perfect way, in the game you really feel you ARE Lara Croft and not just driving a mannequin, this boost that already spoken "I want more" from the (outstanding) environment. 3) the very well implemented RPG options could be implemented better, the first two survival skills for example, if I'm not missing something are pretty nearly useless throughout the game, adding more vicious animals to defend from and the need to feed yourself to keep health regenerating could have given a meaning to those. 4) When you have the right equipment there is too few backtracking that could be done in order to discover more, there are no reasons to explore again an already 100%ed sector except to gain some experience from enemies, a couple of "ok now I have this, let see if I can access that spot" per sector could have been an HUGE booster for the overall experience. 5) The upgrade system is well crafted and enough satisfying but hiding the upgrades in the menu could give that feeling of "what now that is thrown away from the complete visible list. 6) The above also works for collectibles, I hate games in which you knows in advance what you will find in them, this applies even to this beautiful game, knowing in advance how many collectibles I have to find is one of the worst part of this title, an "I feel like I'm still missing something in this area" would be a much more effective way to manage the whole thing, as well as get rid of percentage counters, as well as giving a more puzzle meaning to collectibles while being able to see them as you find them not in advance. 7) Tombs, those are very well crafted but really feels too short for a true TR lover, I'm expecting to see more of them and more complex along with some well crafted underwater mess on the sequel. 8) Secondary bosses: it could be nice to hear Lara commenting on her equipment and physically see the parts of it as well as seeing Lara assembling those parts ...and having secondary bosses to fight experimenting on them the new acquired firepower while tasting the new discovered within herself passion for raiding tombs. 9) the story: it's really well crafted but could be balanced better, at an emotional level the story requires you to keep going while the gameplay requires you to explore, well, it is balanced but it could be more, from a gameplay perspective everything that's "hurry on" is out of place in a TR game, also the acting is top notch but could have been polished aligning it with the above point of view. 9) Enemies: sometimes it's like I'm facing the old chapters enemies, well the AI is not that bad but sometimes is not polished as it should be resulting in too few options at your enemies to choose from making the mass-murder them a bit too easy while sometimes they can spot you too realistically when you don't have any chance to spot them making impossible to sneak past or avoid or stealth kill someone that even knowing you are somewhere on the island shouldn't know you are "right there". 10) Indicators: I think that a lens could suffice to point out the presence of something, no need to show the button everytime, it slightly detract to immersion.

However the above are only my suggestions in case of an unlikely reading of my review by someone from Crystal Dynamics that, however, does not detract a bit to the gorgeousness of the game, the game is already 99,99%, the above only could boost it at 100% and a sequel to 200%

Despite the above this game is a helluva BLAST that's worth every penny, a "back to those days" for TR fans and a good point to start from for those who are not...yet..

Thanks SquareEnix, thanks Crystal Dynamics, playing it I can feel all the efforts you made to make not only a generic masterpiece but a Tomb Raider masterpiece, I'm one of the biggest fan of TR on planet Earth and you made me proud again of being, I sincerely hope it could have the success it deserves as well as seeing sequels of the same quality in which I will be able to hear the "Oh-hh!" turn in the well known "Ah-haa!", if you knows what I mean.. :)

This stuff was for SQUEX and CD, to everyone else all I can say is that this game is truly one of the best games ever made, it looks gorgeous, it sounds great, it plays amazingly.
  48. Aug 11, 2013
    Great PC port and great game. It's basically a reboot and even being a fan of the series, thought this was much, much better than it's predecessors. This is quite a feat to achieve in itself and it's very rare that games actually do this but they do sometimes.

The trailers and early gameplay is shameful. It appears as though this is a linear game and very heavy on QTE's.

While this
    is true for the first part of the game (~1 hour) this is done to great effect and since this is a reboot, allows for the development of the character. You truly see Lara shine even her voice actor's better than the last.

Now I don't generally like reboots but I can see taking the franchise in a different direction was actually the best idea anyone could roll with. This is a more dark (not "dark knight" dark but more serious in tone and for the first time A TOMB RAIDER GAME WITH BLOOD AND BRUTAL DEATH SCENES).

It's more of an RPG and campfires help to serve as Hubs which you can explore and look for caves or "tombs", upgrade your character with a similar system of killing animals for XP (like Far Cry 3) and travel to other parts of the world. The game's huge and the campaign is ~20 hours, and then you can free roam. The only DLC I'd recommend is getting a few of the SINGLEPLAYER skins, MP map pack(s) and the tomb dlc. The others can be either earned in the game (skills) or are not that great.

The game's music is surprisingly good and easily beats the last. There's a lot of drama and it's quite gripping. The graphics are sensational and it's ported by Nixxes (the same guys that did Hitman: Absolution and made the Deus Ex: Human Revolution ports). Extensive graphics options, lots of tweaking and PC friendly controls. Although there are button prompts, this game immerses you so well there's nothing to really flaw.

Well actually, there is. The voice actors while Lara and her enemies are great, the rest of her crew isn't quite "there" yet. They don't sound mediocre but they don't sound great either. They've got some accents and for the most part they're fine. You still care about them but all the same when you hear Lara's voice you're like... why can't the others have voices on the same level?

There's tons of bonuses and I really liked upgrading my character. Lots of these upgrades were useful and tricks you learned. You really feel like you're playing with an inexperienced Lara. They've changed the story but again, better. She's still English but the Croft Manor and such isn't here. Nor are there vehicles to drive lol. This doesn't matter this game is easily the pinnacle and the top of the Tomb Raider franchise. Fans and non-fans will get appealed, and no fan can deny how great this game is. They don't sexualise her either and the game tends to be mature (most of the time). Still most players will look at her butt most of the time as she's crawling or climbing. Speaking of which all the movements are motion capped (like the last game Underworld) and again helps with the immersion.

In some respects it's similar to Uncharted but it's still distinctly a Tomb Raider game. In some ways, it's better than Uncharted and if you never got to play Uncharted or wanted to (due to not having a PS3 or access) this game will do the job. It's slick, accessible and incredibly fun to play all while holding the Tomb Raider name high and making great efforts to be a cinematic adventure.

The cinematics aren't too long or boring and they're frequent at the beginning, they help to explain a lot as well as build up the rest of the game. Combat's revamped too and while it can be repetitive at the beginning if you don't do main missions and stick to side-quests... the new tricks and vast amount of unlocks, serve to make combat that comes later less harder than it appears to be and far more fun to dish out finishers and sneak around. There's different play styles too and you're rewarded as such. It felt like Batman: Arkham Asylum at times, which is not a bad thing and they integrated cover really well. The focus is on exploring but combat doesn't feel as cheapily tacked on as past games and it's far better for this 3rd person... type of game.
  49. Mar 18, 2013
    This game contains a lot more action than the previous installments of the series. But at the same time it also contains a fantastic story with a very believable main character. It is not a story about another super hero fighting his way through countless enemies. Lara has feelings and opinions and they are portrayed in a believable way that even surpasses many movies. That surprising amount of depth makes this one of the rare games these days that take their adult players seriously. This game will certainly have to be a contestant for the game of the year awards. Expand
  50. Mar 9, 2013
    There are two types of computer gamers out there. There are the people simply called "gamers" who just want to play a great game, with lots of challenge and many things to do. Then there are "computer enthusiasts," the people who want to benchmark their super-expensive, quad graphics card computer until it either slows down to a crawl or burns out from excessive overclocking. I am not here to preach ,people, but the next couple of words are going to be the basis for a sermon. Maybe you've heard them somewhere before, but today I am going to explain my take on those two words, and I know the latter of you are not going to like this at all. I am not attacking you, or insulting your super expensive 16 core, quad graphics, quad monitor mega rig, I simply want you to see things my way. Those two words are "Graphics Efficiency." There are two definitions. On one hand, it means being able to run very good looking games at very little performance penalty, but also and most importantly, being able to run state of the art graphics with little performance penalty on lower end hardware. There several game engines that lend themselves to graphics efficiency, most famously the Unreal Engine. Gamers love Unreal Engine games because they look so good, but are not obligated to spend their hard earned money on an ubermaschine. They can enjoy Unreal Engine game no problem with what they have, modest computer specs. An example of the opposite would be Crysis 3, which offers an interactive benchmark for your computer to choke on, but little in the Game play or interesting story department (the reason why I will never buy it). Tomb Raider, on the other hand is one of those games that lends itself very well to graphics efficiency. I cannot even believe a game this good looking is even running on my four year old computer, and better yet, it is hitting 60fps. This is one reason it's currently giving me a good impression, but also the gritty survival horror/survival action elements (it even reminds me of Dead Space 2 in some parts), but mostly because it's doing so well running on my computer. This is one reason I love Square Enix games. I played Just Cause 2 to death back in the day, but also Deus Ex HR and Sleeping Dogs, and great graphics on all of these games. The art style in Tomb Raider is amazing. The story is great so farm as Lara interacts with other characters, but also how the environment affects their relationship. This is a linear game yes, but it is closer to the survival horror and action adventure, as opposed to open world, which is what people mostly want these days. IN my honest opinion mostly anyone would be having a decent time with this game, even those with lower to mid-range PCs. Some of you might not be able to max it out I can), but that's why they included a "Normal" settings choice as a last resort. Well done Square Enix. Expand
  51. Mar 24, 2013
    One of the best games Ive played in recent times. I have never been a big fan of the actual Tomb Raider games (I loathe platformers!), but this reboot prequel really does everything right. Graphics, voice-acting, presentation, set-pieces, plot, gameplay, music, the open world...it nails everything almost perfectly. Probably the only aspect which I found frustrating was the quick-time events which felt forced and really detracts from the gameplay. Thankfully, they're far and few while the rest of this amazing game more than makes up for it. If only all modern games can have this kind of polish and well-executed. Tomb Raider (2013) is a triumph and shows that the gaming industry can still produce solid titles that can be original while warding off the intricacies of distributor manipulation (such as micro-transactions and DRM). If you call yourself a gamer, buy this game. Expand
  52. Mar 6, 2013
    This game has me amazed. It is beautiful in every step of its design, hectic, fast paced, clever and all around gorgeous. Gory when it has to be, dark and mysterious and action packed from minute one. I hadn't been addicted to a single player game like this since Mass Effect 'nuff said.
  53. Mar 6, 2013
    This Is definitely game of the year of BOTH 2012 and 2013. The freshest breath of air Ive taken in a long time, looks like all the hard work and countless hours the makers put into this game really paid off. I have met a few of the design team members and they are great and passionate guys and you can tell they care more about providing a product that really changes and improves gaming and making the gamers really happy. This is the first time in a long time where i actually believe the company was making the game for us and not only for the money. Now about the game; this is a great game filled with a suspenseful, mind-churning, and immersive game play that has some of the most beautiful graphics and voice acting that i have ever seen. The upgrade and free travel system in this game really adds the replay value and game length. Unlike the previous tomb raider titles, you really become the character and begin to feel and experience what the character experiences in the game, and can even grow attached to some of the other characters. The fighting and surviving has been done very well in this game and is very simple to use making fun to encounter and complete unlike some of the past titles where the fighting and shooting was really awful for example like in tomb raider 2 and 3 and some others. One of the best console ports that I have seen and adds a very large amount of graphic changing options and requires a pretty hefty pc setup to run the game fully. I run gtx 480x2, i7950 4.0OC 12gb ram and only keep around a 28 fps average with everything on ultra and SSAx4. Lara Croft is WAY hot in this game and i definitely prefer this "alive" and younger version to the old whore Lara. There are a lot of quicktime events but honestly they fit with the gameplay very well and can be done quickly so the gameplay is not hindered at all. Besides a few bugs (which will be quickly fixed) i found nothing wrong with the game and I think everyone should pick up a copy, genre fan or not you will most likely love this game for any playing system. Expand
  54. Mar 12, 2013
    This is honestly one of the best games I have played a long time. People say that it is to linear, but I think it had to be to set the perfect mood for every situation you come across.

I did increase the difficulty a notch when I started, I have played a lot of games. I think this helped the game seem more fun. I also see a lot of people say that it was to easy, so I think this
    might be user error.

I have read people say that it is to short, for me that is not really a bad thing. I get board after about 20 hours of game play, so this one felt just right. They really did hit everything perfectly. A great game you should be playing, and its cheaper than most triple A title games.
  55. Mar 14, 2013
    I did not high expectations for this game, and instead I have to say it is the best ever, especially if you do not like too complex puzzles. A game really exciting, well structured and with many possibilities of combat.
  56. Mar 7, 2013
    WOW!!! PC version looks and feels amazing! It also plays EXTREMELY well with very fluid controls and motion. I could not be more pleased with this release. Even the experience points system and weapon unlocks/upgrades are exciting when they happen. I can tell they put a lot of thought into this title. I really, really hope Crystal Dynamics keeps making these games. I had a feeling it was going to be a good game but it turned out to be my favorite game this year. Granted it is only March but there has been a lot of big games out already this year and I have played them ALL. This is better than Dead Space 3 and Crysis 3 and a lot of other titles. Haven't had the chance to play Bioshock: Infinite yet since it isn't out but I feel it may be Tomb Raiders only competition in the first quarter of 2013. I cannot comment on the multiplayer. I have not had a chance to play any. I'm not finished with the campaign yet and I don't want to break away from it for something else. I really am having a lot of fun. You will not regret purchasing this game! Dear Crystal Dynamics, Thank you very much for not ruining one of my childhood memories. I was fortunate enough to have played the original when it was days old on my PS1. I feel the series went downhill and I quit playing them but always came back to the first. Here I am, the better part of two decades older, and I am enjoying this game as if I were 15 again. You are the first game company I have written to and believe me, I owe a lot of thank you's to a lot of developers out there over the decades. Anyway, I'm going to get back to Tomb Raider. Lara has never looked so good nor been so tough and determined. If no one from your company reads this, that's cool. I figured I would take the chance. Again, thank you!! Expand
  57. Mar 7, 2013
    I had high hopes for the game and Crystal Dynamics didn't let me down. This is a fantastic game, the perfect reboot of the franchise. There is nothing that I would change. OK, maybe there are some minor things, but nothing important.

After playing this game I have the feeling to know and understand Lara. I feel invigorated and cannot wait to see the next adventures of Lara Croft.

The
    characters have real depth, the atmosphere is pulling you in and the settings are beautiful.
    Perfect voice acting and bombastic music complete the game.

From a quality perspective this game is one of the best releases in the last year.It is running really stable, I only had one crash and some minor glitches in the user interface. I cannot wait to see more from this Lara.
  58. Mar 5, 2013
    This Tomb Raider is a mature adult-oriented version and better for it. The storyline evolves as you play the game and you really feel for Lara's struggles as she battles through the islands lush locations.

The gameplay has depth and combat has a visceral feel. The controls are simple and do not get in the way of the action or story. The graphics and sound are state-of-the-art and rival
    anything seen and heard in other games released in the last year. Do yourself a favor and upgrade your computer. The Ultimate graphics setting is absolutely beautiful.

The UI is excellent and highly polished and most importantly functional. The new collection and achievement systems encourage you to explore the island. They also have the added advantage of giving you experience and items which in turn can be used to add skills and upgrade weapons.

A definite Game Of The Year contender.
  59. Mar 5, 2013
    Truly a great game. I haven't played the story yet but the Multiplayer kept me busy for the last 5 hours.
    The MP alone makes this a great package. I played like 1 hour of the story and it reminded me of a better looking uncharted. I am no Tomb Raider veteran, but this game look and fells very polished. Great effects plus good sound and music. After plat this game I might get into the
    older more open games. I don't mind if this game takes me by the hand and shows me the way, it looks like it going to be one hell of a ride! After the gigantic failure of Aliens I have a little faith again.
    Thanks Square Enix!
  60. Jul 22, 2013
    Reboot of Tomb Raider? More like rebirth! An amazing game for old fans and new. Top notch graphics and feel, interesting storyline and great atmosphere. Everything about this title drips quality. It is plain and simple fun to play. They did so many things right, other developers need to study what was done here.
  61. Mar 19, 2013
    Summary: a worth buy due to good combat/upgrade system which makes the control good for adventure combat.

First of all, I am new to this series. So, I will comment more on the game system and plot.

Combat/upgrade system: This incorporate many elements from several famous games, like dodging system (Alan Wake), cover taking/stealth kill/instinct (Hitman Absolution), character skill
    upgrade (many action games have this nowadays), resource/weapon part collection (Dead Space 3). Its implementation is so good that the combat can be carried out smoothly with the help of above elements. Lara also interacts with the environment flawlessly, she knows to take cover when needed to, and crouch for stealth encounter when needed to. Very smart indeed. The character skill upgrade are generally helpful as well, but balancing. The use of visual icons to prompt for QTE is generally user friendly to players as well. Excellent.

Plot/Adventure: As a reboot from series, Lara starts as a newbie, and she gets more skill/tactics as she advances through the story, which also allows some back-tracking to previous places for treasure hunting. A good setting! And the developers have guts as well, if it needs to have gore and violence in order to present the cult atmosphere, so it will be. Good try.

Optional quests Action: The game also does not deviate from its main purpose. Yes, tomb raider! So, visiting optional tomb, finding treasures via solving puzzles or climbing jumping, with some cool and exciting jump drop in between. By doing so, players can have some understanding about items, and gain more XP for skill upgrade, a good incentive and fun way to enhance the game play, rather than simply killing enemies.

Overall, a good combat and adventure system and character development throughout the game, with the nice elements implemented, it is really fun to explore the island and complete the side quests.
  62. Jul 23, 2013
    This game is like nothing I've ever played. The cinematography was so great I felt like I was in a movie, yet I never felt like I wasn't in control of the action at all times. The story was compelling, full of action and suspense, contrasted by the perfect amount of stealth and exploration scenes. I suspect that it will have limited replay value, but I don't mind. Having never played a Tomb Raider title before, I know for a fact that this stands on its own, but I strongly suspect it serves its function as a prequel equally well.

I can't possibly imagine why anyone would rate this game poorly. There are a few "Quick Time Events" as others seem to be calling them, but I felt like they were a good contrast to the normal frenzied firefights and exploration while still making me feel in control of what was going on.
  63. May 8, 2013
    This game is amazing. I love the lore around the island, as well as the story that is being told through flashbacks, Lara's observations, as well as the items you pick up all around the island. The combat is fluid, and I never feel like I am overwhelmed or frustrated with the controls. The control scheme on the mouse and keyboard is amazingly done and I never catch myself hunting for keys to press. The puzzles and challenges within levels, or areas of the map are well thought out and well done. Hats off to the developers for making a wonderful origin story for Lara Croft. Simply amazing, and I have compared it to a good book, I just can't put the game down. Expand
  64. May 6, 2013
    WOW. I just finished it and I must say, this is one hell of a game. I loved the graphics, the action and on top of that it was very exciting. My only critic is that the levels are hard to navigate that is, if you want to come back and find all the pretties, which I'm probably not going to. Poor Lara takes more beating than ever before; I finally feel some sympathy for her!
  65. Jul 4, 2013
    this game is great. it has a very gripping story about lara and her orgins. i never played a tomb raider game but i highly recommend this game. if u games like arkham asylam and uncharted. you will love this one.
  66. Mar 20, 2013
    This game is frankly amazing. Don't even bother with Uncharted. This game is Uncharted with a fresh new take. I was skeptical at first but found out how much I loved it within the first couple hours. Finally a reboot done right.
  67. Mar 12, 2013
    This game is great. I have not liked the last few, but was previously a fan of the series. A see some reviews say it is too easy or movie like. I think the tombs are a little easier, but I enjoy progressing thru the story.
  68. Mar 18, 2013
    Absolutely phenomenal game on PC. Pick it up. Worth every penny. This is what video games are all about. Single player mode that makes you feel like a hero.
  69. Mar 10, 2013
    I love this game. I didn't decide to get it until boredom set in and I bought it on a whim, I'm very glad I did though. If you like action adventure, this will scratch that itch. I constantly find myself just exploring, even though most of the game is linear, there is still room for wandering around and making sure you don't miss anything. The combat is solid and the visuals are amazing. Lara looks and sounds great. The quick time events are annoying as ever, but they are few and far between. If you liked uncharted you will surely like this. Expand
  70. Mar 8, 2013
    This is the most realistic action/survival game I have ever played. I'm amazed by it. Sure there are some slightly unrealistic details such as using a ice axe on stone walls, or rope arrows but it is easy to overlook.

The voice acting, movements, emotion are all top notch. It isn't that far off from top notch movie quality.

There are only very minor bugs I have encountered with the
    release. It is stable, fun, and totally engrossing. Expand
  71. May 2, 2013
    One of the best single player games I've ever played. Stunning. Anyone giving it score 7 is just a hater and you shouldn't bother what they say. I've played a lot of high scored games recently: Far Cry 3, Dead Space 1 and 2, Alan Wake, Bioshock, Walking Dead, BF3 (campaign), Medal of Honor (campaign) and even some of them were really outstanding, Tomb Raider easily beats them.
  72. Mar 22, 2013
    This is the best game out in 2013 so far, graphics, story, combat, sound everything is AAA quality and the new TressFx was just lovely and i didn't have any performance issues(on ultra settings-on a amd build pc). I went all out woke up in the morning and i just couldn't leave until the game finished.
  73. Mar 9, 2013
    This is easily the best Tomb Raider game. And I'm a TR fan since the first one!
    The graphics on PC are stunning, amazing. And they support the great atmosphere created by music and story, which is greatly great. The gameplay contains all the classical elements from the original Tomb Raider's. But they're obviously modified. Combat is great! Even if the AI isn't too smart, it still works
    well. The auto-cover system works very well too! The exploration is something really amazing: the hubs are really big! And the documents and the relics are really a lot! Also, the documents are super duper interesting. They tell you a lot about Yamatai's story and they're well written. In case you didn't know, Yamatai is the island where the game takes place. Following only the story path, you'll have a great and cinematic experience, but, I really tip you to collect everything to understand more about the history and then enjoy more the events in the game (at least on your first playthrough). There are a lot of emotional scenes in the game. The supporting cast (for the example the Endurance's crew) is amazingly done! I don't know why some people say that the secondary characters are not well made... they are well made! But... you have to collect their documents to understand more about them and to know them better. Now let's talk about the QTEs... well, even if I'm not a big fan of QTEs, they didn't bother me at all in the game. They were also good in some scenes. Also the ending is pretty epic. And iconic. I really love how Lara grows in the game. And there we come to an important piece: the skills upgrades and the gear upgrades. They are amazing. Maybe the gear upgrades are better done than the skills' ones... they're all great though! Well, what must I say now? Oh, eh, the atmosphere is really intense and very scary at some points in the game... Really scary. Love it! I also think that the game is pretty scripted. But not too much... because you can still face the situations in different ways... Well, I'm done. 10 out of 10. Amazing game. Congrats Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix. Expand
  74. Mar 7, 2013
    My opnion still is same about this amazing game, im still playing, i think more than 50% of the game.
    All cutscenes very good, the game still adventure we know, and the action is better than never, this game have one future bright, i hope the next game of the serie come back again for pc, in this next generation.
  75. Mar 6, 2013
    Wow. I've been waiting for this game for 2 years and I have to say, Crystal Dynamics has left me very impressed. The graphics are amazing, the game-play is very innovative, even the quick-time events make the player feel like more of a part of the character. Even the main menu blew me away. Overall, this game deserves a 10, no matter who you are or what games you play. If you think it deserves less than an 8, well, you might want to reevaluate your perspective. Expand
  76. Mar 5, 2013
    An exceptional game.
    Where developers really had the desire to create something polished and well done, and worried about the PC version of the game.
  77. Aug 25, 2013
    This is what I expect today's AAA titles to be like. Beautiful graphics, nice game-engine cut-scenes, decent story (although quite foreseeable) and a fair distribution of checkpoints. Also, the "new" Lara Croft is much more believable and likable that the "old" one.
  78. Jul 13, 2013
    Story was extremely fun, Most fun I have had in a while to be honest. Watching Lara get the crap beat out of here is a little depressing though. You get used to it after a while though.
  79. Feb 19, 2014
    I was so disappointed when I reached the end of the story-line. I didn't want it to be over. I've been going through Tomb Raider withdrawal for an entire week now. The story-line progressed at just the right pace throughout the entire game though, so the "symptoms" I'm currently experiencing are simply an indicator that everything in this game was done remarkably well. No frustrating and stupidly absurd boss characters to beat (but nothing patronizing either), an awesome and immersive story, incredible depth into Lara's character, beautiful and well-directed cuts and cinematics, truly detailed and high resolution world modeling.. It's all fantastic. And the physical detail of Lara's character model? I am so hot for Lara Croft after playing this game, it's ridiculous. lol Nerves of steel, great with guns, a sexy accent, and just the right amount of modesty built in? Now *that's* a potent combination! There's so many physical maneuvers and outrageous (believable, but absolutely outrageous) ledge-grabs that she does along the way that made me say, "Man, that is one crazy-*ss bi*ch!" I would have come up to one of those ones on the antenna tower and been like "Oh f**k no. See ya.." This just made me appreciate her character and role in the story even more though..

And by the way, those who modeled her physical "appearance" deserve special praise in my book. Thank you so much for giving this lioness a believable and curvaceous C-cup, and not some cantaloupe-wannabe triple-Es. The Jolie era of Tomb Raider character models has been overdue to be purged for the longest time now, so thank you for correcting this "malignancy".

Seriously, the next installment of this game can't come soon enough. Phenomenal job, Eidos Montreal and Enix. Please do as good a job with the next one..
  80. Mar 14, 2013
    It had been a pleasure playing this game. It was the best reboot for the franchise that I can tell. The game was extremely beautiful in its own way. Literally, I cannot express in mere words how much I enjoyed this game. It was overwhelmingly desirable, wonderful and realistic. The story line was amazing and I was so involved with the character and the story that made me go so deep into the game every moment that I played. I love it. Simply beautiful! All in all, it has been my favorite game for this year. Expand
  81. Oct 26, 2013
    This game is able to display hair very beautifully with a beautiful women/model. It almost looks like each strand of Lara Croft's hair is moving with the rules of physics. If your down with killing hundreds of men with a compound bow and climbing mountains with your climbing axe, well then this game is for you!
    The story is awesome too pretty good length of single player action.
  82. Mar 15, 2013
    Perfect gameplay, incredible graphics, TressFX it's wonderful, all ingame animations are really natural and beautiful, the story is intriguing, big involving with many details.
    There are so many things to collect, investigate, unlock, upgrade, find; the hunting is very fun and well made, the sound very real.
    The game is really optimized for the PC, and for the first time it's possible
    change any graphics option in real time without restarting. Expand
  83. Mar 12, 2013
    Absolutely loved this game and enjoyed every second of it. The story kept me interested throughout, action was pretty intense and didn't feel over the top or overused. I really liked the character development of Lara and her progression towards becoming that bad ass chick from the original games. I noticed some people complained about narrative and story not making sense, noticeably during scenes of Lara being upset and all of a sudden on a so called 'killing spree', i felt that the developers did as a furthering of character development in such a way so that Lara had to always be on her toes so to speak. Those reviews seemed to have a bias or an unwanting/not caring to understand Lara's journey so don't let them put you off. Graphically a beautiful game to witness, i had to slow down at times just to catch some cool shots of the island in its various weather conditions. Cinematic scenes, just wow tbh. The use of weapons was well integrated into game play and non seemed unnecessary the bow is one of the most satisfying weapons I've used in recent games and it almost feels wrong when not using it.

To sum it up, just buy it. It offers an enjoyable experience regardless of whether you're familiar with the older Tomb Raider titles.
  84. Mar 6, 2013
    The game is great, I even can not express in words the pleasure I get from this game, I'm the first minutes of the game, I realized that my game. loved the multiplayer.
    I still recommend you to buy and play this game
  85. Mar 10, 2013
    I ve never seen tomb raider this beautiful and the game is so addicting and enjoyable amazing work on graphics and gameplay also the story makes sense ....well you have to try to beleive
  86. Mar 31, 2013
    First Tomb Raider game i ever played and i am amazed. Awsome graphics (TressFX is unbelivable),well writen characters,very balanced and challenging combat (played on hard difficulity),story with revalations of island secreds,lot of awsome collectibles (esspecialy documents) and much more. Only issue i have with this game is that first hour is Lara scared,hurt,freezig and after kiling deer she is shocked and with her first kill she almost trow up but after kiling first enemy shes like rambo perfectly handling weapon shooting dozens of enemys and knocking enemy heads of without any hard feelings Expand
  87. Jul 24, 2013
    Been on my 'to play' list for a while and never got around to playing but decided to give it a try and was very impressed.
    Very high production values, great script and amazing playability.
    Definitely worth a purchase and play
  88. Mar 5, 2013
    Really nice game. Tressfx looks amazing. It is one of the best episode of tomb raider series imo.The controls are kinda hard on a keyboard but works on a 360 controller. Good job square enix!
  89. Mar 5, 2013
    Amazing pc version with stunning directx 11 and good optimization. Ambient and voice actors are amazing. Played this for 3 hours, story and that island are really interesting. Lara is so nice of course. Happy to play such games. Thanks Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix for this.
  90. Mar 7, 2013
    what a well made game
    i can't close my mouth
    this is awesome and cool
    squaer enix do it finally
    i really love square enix now
    you should buy it through anyway
    amd or steam
    but this game lose its own game style.
  91. Mar 5, 2013
    First of all I don't see how you cant accurately review a game within the first hours. And Tomb Raider Linear and scripted? I wonder why that is? Maybe because it is a game where the story is supposed to be linear because it is a prequel to how Lara Croft became a BAMF, This game is meant to have a tighter grip on the beginning of the game because rather than going through stupid slow boring tutorials that we all hate the game actually teaches you while going through Adrenaline filled action. The game is supposed to be a linear game and just because it is linear doesn't mean that's a bad thing. Before you judge this game correctly and accurately with a real review don't rage at it. From what I have played through the game is awesome and fun. Expand
  92. Mar 5, 2013
    Yes for the whole new Tomb Raider reboot. Why am I saying that? Because this new Tomb Raider has improved a lot from what is missing and being boring in the old series. With the almost open world style, amazing climbing, very nice Puzzles, some QTEs, some Epic scenes, very fun shooting system and wonderful journey in Single Player plus some enjoyable from Multiplayer make the new reboot into the new fanstatic game, some what different but still closer to the old. You shouldn't see some troll or haters, all what you need is taking the game and ready to enjoy one of the most anticipated game of the year. Expand
  93. Mar 5, 2013
    Let me start by saying I am truly and undeniably a fan of the series. I`ve played it since 1986 and I`ve finished every Tomb Raider game so far. Ever since the disastrous Angel Of Darkness the series tried crawling back to it`s throne, and came close with recent instalments but not quite there. They each missed what this game has, a character with real human emotions and weaknesses instead of a superhero, and a fresh gameplay that does a good job making you satisfied till the end without getting repetitive. But more importantly the series now has what it was truly missing, a compelling story that isn`t serving a mere motivation for your character to get from point A to point Z, but more to make you question your surroundings, your allies, instincts and wonder about the outcome of every situation you find yourself into. It`s no longer about simply getting into that tomb and raiding ti dry, beating the boss and walking out with your prize, it`s about understanding the myth behind it, the history, and the dangers behind it`s power falling into the wrong hands. Finally the game has a great combat system too, tied with a crafting system and a skill menu, which was my initial worry. but turned out well as the skills are nothing game breaking and only feature slight boost of her already achieved skill set. Graphics is great, nothing groundbreaking but the effects and animation are stunning and make you really get into the game, along with an amazing soundtrack. Puzzles are innovative, and no longer about just pulling levers and finding keys. You are now required to use the nature and it`s element around you. Deaths in the game are brutal, and unlike the reaction you make in most games when you die: Oh damn, gotta reload and start over``, this time it will be more like: ``Jesus Christ that looked painful!``. Lara now also reacts more human than any of the video game characters I`ve seen so far, she is aware of her actions and consequences, she doesn`t kill just to move on, she kills to save, herself or others, she kills to survive and shows a range of emotions you`d expect from someone in her position. The camera is finally where it should be! It not only covers the action well but also makes it more dramatic and movie-like. The game is also very well optimized. It runs flawlessly on my mid-range pc with all options maxed, except for the hair, which completely ruins my frame rate when if I enable the TressFx. Guess I need a stronger pc for that one.
    To finish it up let me just say the game is Tomb Raider meets Bear Grylls on a trip to a world most dangerous location. Also, those calling the game a female version of Uncharted need to know one thing, Uncharted itself borrowed heavily from Tomb Raider and Indiana Jones to make a game of it`s own quality, and a great quality it is. This Tomb Raider follows the same footsteps, it doesn`t copy, it learns from it. The game reinvented itself, and it would go in this direction with or without Uncharted, as this is what the fans have been asking for since the game started reusing it`s formula, long before Uncharted.
    The only negative side I can point out is way too much grunting and moaning. I get that she is in a lot of pain, but she is sometimes too dramatic over every injury. And I feel like the whole ``element based puzzles`` could have been worked on a little more, cause the idea opens up a lot of opportunities.
    Thanks you Square Enix for not ruining the series and making it finished for good.
  94. Mar 5, 2013
    There are only very few games that I can give 10 points. If a game gets 10, it is never 100% perfect but almost. What I lacked in this game was that Lara should have done more attractive and sexy. I rarely play a game more than 1 time but there are a few games I've played through more than one time and this is one of them. I will sleep well tonight
  95. Mar 5, 2013
    Please don't expect a "professional review", this is an OMG I gotta tell ppl about this game review.
    Ok, first off, if you liked Far Cry 3, then you need to get this game. It is like Far Cry 3 X 1000. No you don't get the freedom, and so far (About 30 mins in) I haven't driven any cars, but the Graphics are BEAUTIFUL, Frigging amazing. The controls are tight, the story is Amazing, don't
    want to 'spoil' anything, but the first time you kill someone, your heart will be pounding, just like Lara Croft's was in the game. I have never seen such amazing storytelling as this before. Nothing else to say, get this game. if you like your action with a pulse that is. Expand
  96. Mar 5, 2013
    grand comeback of Lara Croft!! i love this game please more The new Lara is awesome finally a game that's uncharted equal!!

Thanks to Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix for the amazing experience ever
  97. Mar 5, 2013
    A+ 100% in Graphics, Sound, Gameplay, Voice Acting Fun Factor. Great Atmosphere and detail that will draw you in. A new favorite in my PC game library along with Farcry 3, Skyrim, Battlefield 3, Black Ops 2 and Borderlands 2. Works your system, had to drop settings down to "Ultra" from "Ultimate". (According to their built in benchmark) (GTX-580, i7, 12GB RAM)
  98. Mar 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have to register an account to give this game 10/10 for the first time. The graphic, sound, environment, story, and every elements in this game are all well done. For the second time, I feel like I am not playing a video game anymore, I am actually watching a top rated Hollywood action movie The first one was Darksiders 2). I like Roth. He is calm, wise, and brave. The last thing he did for Lara was sad but also beautiful. I like Jonah as well. The tombs puzzles are well done and constructed even though the reward is kinda lame). The story is beyond good. I love watching Lara Croft grows from a weak young lady in the beginning to a strong soul Lara Croft just like in the previous series. The game has few disappointments for me: some QTEs don't show hotkeys and the game doesn't have real boss fight. But, it's too minor compared to how beautiful the game is. Lastly, I want to say "Thank you" to Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics for making such a GREAT game. This game is, without a doubt, one of the best game in 2013. Expand
  99. Mar 5, 2013
    годы!Superb directing, elegant music, spetsefektov, sophisticated storyline. Keeps in suspense during the passage))) All is good, lots of games it does not matter what genre it is seen that the main thing people have invested in the game works and years!

1. Jun 10, 2013
    The new incarnation of the iconic Lara Craft might very well be one of the best games out there right now. [April 2013]
  2. Mar 30, 2013
    Everything you could want from an archeological adventure, except having to press six keys to mantle. [Apr 2013, p.80]
  3. Mar 19, 2013
    While not every promising idea Tomb Raider has is pulled off successfully, it nevertheless turns in a tense and memorable ride that combines modern game design with its forebears’ adventurous spirit in some exciting ways. Some of its missteps may well come at the cost of your enjoyment, but most can’t hope to hurt the adventure in the long run. Although it never fully finds its identity, this is a game and a story worth seeing through.