8.5

1. Mar 6, 2013
    Quite surprised how good this game to be turned out to be, easily one of the best action-adventure games in years. Very fluid gameplay, top line graphics and action filled engaging story. This is one of very few games where QTEs aren't too annoying and actually play a good part during action scenes. Gameplay is a good mix of stealth and firefights, the AI isn't too great but that is prettyQuite surprised how good this game to be turned out to be, easily one of the best action-adventure games in years. Very fluid gameplay, top line graphics and action filled engaging story. This is one of very few games where QTEs aren't too annoying and actually play a good part during action scenes. Gameplay is a good mix of stealth and firefights, the AI isn't too great but that is pretty common these days. Story is a great twist on typical Tomb Raider adventure, people who like the concept of the Lost show will love it. Expand
  2. Mar 5, 2013
    This is one of those games where you get so involved with the character and with the visuals surrounding it. The story line is amazing the sound effect are awesome. The multiplayer is even not that bad I actually enjoyed playing a litle bit of it. I think this is one of my favorite so far this year.
  3. Mar 5, 2013
    This game is just insanely good. I was thinking it was just a hype, like Far Cry 3, Skyrim (that I thought a little tedious), but no, this game is just the top 5 best games in this generations (PS3, Xbox360, PC), that soon the generation is over. Awesome graphics, awesome dinamic, and I think the best was the sound, that was marvelous. People that are giving yellow scores is theThis game is just insanely good. I was thinking it was just a hype, like Far Cry 3, Skyrim (that I thought a little tedious), but no, this game is just the top 5 best games in this generations (PS3, Xbox360, PC), that soon the generation is over. Awesome graphics, awesome dinamic, and I think the best was the sound, that was marvelous. People that are giving yellow scores is the "Uncharted" fans. Altought I have to say I love Uncharted series, there's no match to Lara Croft and this games just raised the bars that Uncharted brought. They're just jealous. At some points I got goosebumps playing the game. Well, if you have any doubt, don't waste your time, play this game now. There's no way you can regret. Expand
  4. Mar 5, 2013
    Amazing pc version with stunning directx 11 and good optimization. Ambient and voice actors are amazing. Played this for 3 hours, story and that island are really interesting. Lara is so nice of course. Happy to play such games. Thanks Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix for this.
  5. Mar 6, 2013
    Excellent gameplay, solid plot, and wonderful graphics. For a modern day 3rd person shooter it is awesome. Deeper than Uncharted, multiple routes to take through quests, and a level up system similar to Far Cry. It is a combo game that doesn't fail in anyway except for the lack of puzzles. Add some serious Tomb Raider puzzles and this may have been the best in the series. As it is, I'm onExcellent gameplay, solid plot, and wonderful graphics. For a modern day 3rd person shooter it is awesome. Deeper than Uncharted, multiple routes to take through quests, and a level up system similar to Far Cry. It is a combo game that doesn't fail in anyway except for the lack of puzzles. Add some serious Tomb Raider puzzles and this may have been the best in the series. As it is, I'm on a second playthrough already. They did a great job of making you feel that no matter how skilled you play the game, Lara may not actually succeed at her goals. Pros:
    TressFX hair.
    The island is the star.
    Great pacing to the story and to Lara's development as a character.
    Nice job of making the player feel that they may not succeed at their mission until the last second. Cons:
    Massive performance drop with TressFX hair on (don't use this on anything but a top Intel chip processor and AMD 6970+ or NVIDIA GFX 660ti card, it killed every other set up I used).
    No puzzles (well they exist, but are short and very easy).
    Water could be better and Lara can't swim.
    Freedom of movement around the island comes very late in the story at which point you don't care about exploring any more. PC controls are not as smooth as the controller, again making the PC feel like an afterthought. Many people complain of crashes, but I had a smooth experience. Final Judgment:
    It is worth the $50 only if you like replaying games. It is short and a one time play for people only interested in the story. My first playthrough was about 8 hours and I completed 84% of the collectibles and challenges. Maybe a 6 hour game if you plow through the story.
  6. Mar 5, 2013
    I don't often write reviews but... wow. I Am absolutely blown away, I didn't expect anything from this game. I enjoyed the old games, (1,2, Angel of darkness, underworld) but this one just blew me away, the intro was great and it kept me going, the adrenaline doesn't stop and the action just keeps coming, I even feel bad for Lara after everything she goes through.

The graphics are

The graphics are sensational (I'm running a gtx680), the hair effects look amazing most of the time, but they have their glitches and screw ups (like the effects disappearing for a second and her hair looking bland during intense cut scenes, it could be a driver thing or something they could patch). As mentioned the story is thrilling and keeps you wanting more, the side quests are worthwhile and brings back old Lara memories. The gameplay is solid, the free running reminds me of assassins creed mixed with old school lara. The bow is great, the guns can feel a bit clunky at times but still suits fine considering she wouldn't be a gun expert. Point blank confrontations with enemies are awkward at first but goes nicely with the story, but once you adapt and learn abilities it works out great and flows greatly.

Overall a true underdog for me and a very nice recreation of Lara. Good job crystal.
  7. Mar 5, 2013
    This Tomb Raider is a mature adult-oriented version and better for it. The storyline evolves as you play the game and you really feel for Lara's struggles as she battles through the islands lush locations.

The gameplay has depth and combat has a visceral feel. The controls are simple and do not get in the way of the action or story. The graphics and sound are state-of-the-art and rival anything seen and heard in other games released in the last year. Do yourself a favor and upgrade your computer. The Ultimate graphics setting is absolutely beautiful.

The UI is excellent and highly polished and most importantly functional. The new collection and achievement systems encourage you to explore the island. They also have the added advantage of giving you experience and items which in turn can be used to add skills and upgrade weapons.

A definite Game Of The Year contender.
  8. Mar 5, 2013
    Three hours in. Fantastic game so far. Great PC port, for those worried over that aspect of the game. Using latest 314 drivers, my nvidia card does the hair tesselation very well, so you definitely do not need a radeon to get that benefit of the PC port. Controls are very fluid and smooth with a keyboard/mouse. Some people hate QTEs, so if you hate 'em, too bad. This game has them. I thinkThree hours in. Fantastic game so far. Great PC port, for those worried over that aspect of the game. Using latest 314 drivers, my nvidia card does the hair tesselation very well, so you definitely do not need a radeon to get that benefit of the PC port. Controls are very fluid and smooth with a keyboard/mouse. Some people hate QTEs, so if you hate 'em, too bad. This game has them. I think they're a perfectly fine gameplay mechanic. I don't mind.

Combat is, like the controls, fluid and smooth. I'm shocked, considering Crystal Dynamics has largely made...well...games far inferior to this in the past. :/

Very cinematic gameplay that is a mixture of Uncharted/Assassin's Creed. The optional "Tombs" have, so far, been relatively easy. I was always a fan of the Tomb Raider stories/lore, but never a fan of the puzzle-based gameplay in the previous games, and while there's some small element of puzzles in the main game, it's definitely more of an action/adventure than an environment puzzle. Which I think is great.

The story, and character evolution of Laura, so far, has also been great. It's audacious to say this only three hours in, but I can already see this being in the conversation for end-of-year awards when November/December rolls around.

Just fantastic presentation, solidly smooth gameplay, and far more likable Laura now that she isn't wearing hotpants with Double D cups. I'll hold off on a 10 until I actually finish. ;D About the only thing I can think of at this point that would make me lower my score later is if they end it on a cliffhanger.
  9. Mar 7, 2013
    Tomb Raider plays and feels more like an action movie than a game, but that is not a bad thing. The problem is that it turns, for the most part, the player into an expectator with "little" (choice-wise) to do other than follow the predetermined path and manage QT-Es to stay awake (but let's be fair: extremely well implemented QT-Es).

Trying to gather the collectibles spread around the

Trying to gather the collectibles spread around the map may distract you from the game's main selling point: it's character development and the interaction with the environment, but those menial exploration tasks can be left to after the endgame the completionist in me wanted to ditch the sense of urgency and collect everything on the first play-through, but that spoils the mood.

The voice acting is solid, the graphics are stunning and Lara's character is unbelievably well done, but the rest of the crew is unmemorable to say the best, sometimes falling into "I wish friendly-fire could be turned off" territory. The narrative is very common place (again, not a bad thing), but the action feels... unnatural (too much killing, even if "justified").

The difficult is set very, very low: the (environmental) puzzles are okay, but ammo is pretty much infinite, making fragility the only problem for Lara, but again no complaints here: dying over and over again has always been a selling point for this franchise (really!).

In this reboot we don't have huge, over-the-top and out-of-this-world Tombs, neither did we get underwater sequences (in fact, on my gameplay Lara drowned at least a dozen times) but yes this is solid environment and survival exploration with the most loved female explorer ever. This game truly turns Lara's character into all that she is know even a dose of sex appeal is there, when she isn't mass murdering entire armies.
  10. Mar 5, 2013
    First of all I don't see how you cant accurately review a game within the first hours. And Tomb Raider Linear and scripted? I wonder why that is? Maybe because it is a game where the story is supposed to be linear because it is a prequel to how Lara Croft became a BAMF, This game is meant to have a tighter grip on the beginning of the game because rather than going through stupid slowFirst of all I don't see how you cant accurately review a game within the first hours. And Tomb Raider Linear and scripted? I wonder why that is? Maybe because it is a game where the story is supposed to be linear because it is a prequel to how Lara Croft became a BAMF, This game is meant to have a tighter grip on the beginning of the game because rather than going through stupid slow boring tutorials that we all hate the game actually teaches you while going through Adrenaline filled action. The game is supposed to be a linear game and just because it is linear doesn't mean that's a bad thing. Before you judge this game correctly and accurately with a real review don't rage at it. From what I have played through the game is awesome and fun. Expand
  11. Mar 10, 2013
    Das BESTE tomb Raider ever! Lerne eine Ganz neue Lara kennen... jung verletzlich aber trotzdem ungemein tough! sammle dir deine Waffen und Skills mühsam zusammen und grase Karten nochmal ab auch wenn du schon längst weiter bist! Das neue Gameplay, und die neue Steuerung ist das allerbeste am ganzen Game!!!! die Story super und der Filmcharakter des Spiels fasziniert bis zum letztenDas BESTE tomb Raider ever! Lerne eine Ganz neue Lara kennen... jung verletzlich aber trotzdem ungemein tough! sammle dir deine Waffen und Skills mühsam zusammen und grase Karten nochmal ab auch wenn du schon längst weiter bist! Das neue Gameplay, und die neue Steuerung ist das allerbeste am ganzen Game!!!! die Story super und der Filmcharakter des Spiels fasziniert bis zum letzten Augenblick!!
    DANKE DANKE DANKE für dieses spiel!!!
  12. Sep 17, 2013
    Wow! Great Fun! I saw reviews from a few whiners:
    One fellow was mad because the game was too violent to play with his young children. Sure enough, stick to Nintendo if you want to play games with your kids.
    Wow! Great Fun! I saw reviews from a few whiners:
    One fellow whined about cut scenes?!? I found the gameplay to cut scene spectacularly entertaining! It was like I was the main character in a pretty sweet action movie (and you should see my boobs). (if you hate cut scenes, press the space bar and fast forward thru it!)
    I played TR one on the PS in 1994... but fell out of love with TR for the PS 2 (Lara took like 15 minutes to climb a ladder- even boobs couldn't convince me that it wasn't wasting my time)

Good to see the TR team back on track!!! I may have to start buying older incarnations to see what I've been missing!
  13. Mar 28, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game, and on the plus side of things you have: The graphics, the aesthetics, the gameplay, the story, the atmosphere and the fact that the puzzle tombs are an option and not a requirement (though some puzzling and platforming is required for the story, ofcourse). Negatives: The amount of stuff you 'have' to pick up is insane and most of it makes no sense. Relics,I really enjoyed this game, and on the plus side of things you have: The graphics, the aesthetics, the gameplay, the story, the atmosphere and the fact that the puzzle tombs are an option and not a requirement (though some puzzling and platforming is required for the story, ofcourse). Negatives: The amount of stuff you 'have' to pick up is insane and most of it makes no sense. Relics, mushrooms, gps cache's etc. All of this is just dumb, the only things actually worth picking up is the documents, because they add to the story and character development, other than that you just get an xp bonus.

I would have liked to have the survival aspect of the game more thoroughly pronounced, I like that you have to salvage stuff to create your/upgrade your makeshift weapons, but they should have gone a bit further on that note if you ask me. Hopefully they will do that in the next game.
    I would have loved to see less QTE's aswell, or at least make them more apparent as to what you are supposed to do during the QTE, there was one where all it said was hit the button (not which one) when the circle blinks, and I have a keyboard, so there are lots of buttons to press. Anyway that would go down as a bug and something you can accept, since you will forget it later on.
    Also, stop with the achievement announcements and "model unlocked" stuff that happens almost constantly, it takes away from being completely gripped by the game. I would have been completely swallowed by it had these things not happened.
    A last negative is that the nVidia drivers for the game were horrible, which was both part crystal dynamics and nvidias fault, even if the game is "made for AMD" it makes no sense to have it so horribly optimized as it was for nvidia cards at launch. Crash to desktop, insane fps drops, weird gpu usage etc. This has all been fixed, but still, it should not have happened in the first place.

My verdict is a 9/10, the issues I have listed are, for me, enough to drag it down a point, but no further... This is a masterpiece, and 2013 has shown to be a great year, so far, for gaming, if you ask me.
  14. Apr 22, 2013
    One of the better story driven games I have played. I went into it not expecting much, but was instantly glued to my PC and couldn't stop until it was finished. Amazing graphics sound and story. Disappointed with Lara's development though, before you know it she will be mowing down waves of enemies, which doesn't fit her character at all. Definitely one of the best games so far thisOne of the better story driven games I have played. I went into it not expecting much, but was instantly glued to my PC and couldn't stop until it was finished. Amazing graphics sound and story. Disappointed with Lara's development though, before you know it she will be mowing down waves of enemies, which doesn't fit her character at all. Definitely one of the best games so far this year, recommend it highly, even over Bioshock. Expand
  15. Sep 15, 2013
    Why you should get this game"
    -Gorgeous scenery and graphics
    -Combat system is fun and dynamic -Cutscenes are not NEARLY as bad as reviewers are saying, really adds to the storyline and overall feel -Tomb raiding and puzzles are challenging and rewarding -Pulls you into the game (something that is VERY rare for me) Why you shouldn't buy the game: -Skill and crafting system is
    Why you should get this game"
    -Gorgeous scenery and graphics
    -Combat system is fun and dynamic
    -Tomb raiding and puzzles are challenging and rewarding
    -Pulls you into the game (something that is VERY rare for me)

Why you shouldn't buy the game:
    -Skill and crafting system is limited(ish)
    -Little stealth abilities (usually enemies already know you're there)

Conclusion:
    Buy it, buy it, buy it! Fun, enthralling storyline and gameplay. Worth your money.
  16. Mar 10, 2013
    I love this game. I didn't decide to get it until boredom set in and I bought it on a whim, I'm very glad I did though. If you like action adventure, this will scratch that itch. I constantly find myself just exploring, even though most of the game is linear, there is still room for wandering around and making sure you don't miss anything. The combat is solid and the visuals are amazing.I love this game. I didn't decide to get it until boredom set in and I bought it on a whim, I'm very glad I did though. If you like action adventure, this will scratch that itch. I constantly find myself just exploring, even though most of the game is linear, there is still room for wandering around and making sure you don't miss anything. The combat is solid and the visuals are amazing. Lara looks and sounds great. The quick time events are annoying as ever, but they are few and far between. If you liked uncharted you will surely like this. Expand
  17. Mar 8, 2013
    This is the most realistic action/survival game I have ever played. I'm amazed by it. Sure there are some slightly unrealistic details such as using a ice axe on stone walls, or rope arrows but it is easy to overlook.

The voice acting, movements, emotion are all top notch. It isn't that far off from top notch movie quality. There are only very minor bugs I have encountered with the

There are only very minor bugs I have encountered with the release. It is stable, fun, and totally engrossing.
  18. Mar 9, 2013
    This is easily the best Tomb Raider game. And I'm a TR fan since the first one!
    This is easily the best Tomb Raider game. And I'm a TR fan since the first one!
    The graphics on PC are stunning, amazing. And they support the great atmosphere created by music and story, which is greatly great. The gameplay contains all the classical elements from the original Tomb Raider's. But they're obviously modified. Combat is great! Even if the AI isn't too smart, it still works well. The auto-cover system works very well too! The exploration is something really amazing: the hubs are really big! And the documents and the relics are really a lot! Also, the documents are super duper interesting. They tell you a lot about Yamatai's story and they're well written. In case you didn't know, Yamatai is the island where the game takes place. Following only the story path, you'll have a great and cinematic experience, but, I really tip you to collect everything to understand more about the history and then enjoy more the events in the game (at least on your first playthrough). There are a lot of emotional scenes in the game. The supporting cast (for the example the Endurance's crew) is amazingly done! I don't know why some people say that the secondary characters are not well made... they are well made! But... you have to collect their documents to understand more about them and to know them better. Now let's talk about the QTEs... well, even if I'm not a big fan of QTEs, they didn't bother me at all in the game. They were also good in some scenes. Also the ending is pretty epic. And iconic. I really love how Lara grows in the game. And there we come to an important piece: the skills upgrades and the gear upgrades. They are amazing. Maybe the gear upgrades are better done than the skills' ones... they're all great though! Well, what must I say now? Oh, eh, the atmosphere is really intense and very scary at some points in the game... Really scary. Love it! I also think that the game is pretty scripted. But not too much... because you can still face the situations in different ways... Well, I'm done. 10 out of 10. Amazing game. Congrats Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix.
  19. Mar 18, 2013
    The best TR game in a long time, bringing us back why we fell in love with Lara Croft and being able to playing her and seeing her develop into the awesome character that we know and loved for so long. Gameplay, story, graphics are the best i ever seen in a Tomb Raider game EVER, Crystal Dynamics really did a great job. My only issues with the game that i had was that the other charactersThe best TR game in a long time, bringing us back why we fell in love with Lara Croft and being able to playing her and seeing her develop into the awesome character that we know and loved for so long. Gameplay, story, graphics are the best i ever seen in a Tomb Raider game EVER, Crystal Dynamics really did a great job. My only issues with the game that i had was that the other characters are really nothing worth even remembering, but the story is very well told and there's plenty to do in the game, to finding treasure to finding secret tombs and upgrading all your skills. This game made me proud of the franchise and have new hope that Lara Croft will never die but only get better for future Tomb Raider games. Expand
  20. Mar 22, 2013
    This game has a lot of positives, and very little negatives. Stunning visuals, great sound/voice acting, intense story and gameplay that will leave you incredibly satisfied with your purchase. One thing that stands out in my opinion is the level design. The way the game directs you, leaves you options and controls your reactions to certain situations is just amazing. I think that is greatThis game has a lot of positives, and very little negatives. Stunning visuals, great sound/voice acting, intense story and gameplay that will leave you incredibly satisfied with your purchase. One thing that stands out in my opinion is the level design. The way the game directs you, leaves you options and controls your reactions to certain situations is just amazing. I think that is great considering many people worried about this game looking to action/adventure shoot-em-up than the creative level-designs from the previous games. I'm glad to say that everything is balanced fantastically, and just the right amount of optional completion. There are a few problems with the PC drivers, but a couple of patches later fix this almost fully. The aging consoles bring this game down too much and with my rig running this on ultimate setting at a comfortable 60fps it's hard to say that you should play it on anything else. The PC version is the way to go and even the keyboard and mouse feel more comfortable than the controller.

21. Mar 8, 2013
    The creators of Tomb Raider has received some criticism based on gender prejudice. This is a vital problem in todays gaming industry, and I was afraid of it afflicting this game with its disease as well. Thankfully, that was not the case. In fact, I think this might be one of the first truly believable characters ever created, and she is not stereotypically female (nor is sheThe creators of Tomb Raider has received some criticism based on gender prejudice. This is a vital problem in todays gaming industry, and I was afraid of it afflicting this game with its disease as well. Thankfully, that was not the case. In fact, I think this might be one of the first truly believable characters ever created, and she is not stereotypically female (nor is she stereotypically male, as certain ass-kicking heroines tend to be).
    Her character development does seem kind of rushed outside of cut-scenes due to the high numbers of enemies she encounters early on, but this is such a minor problem that as soon as you get to grips with the genre they have chosen to portray her in you will see it as nothing but a minor inconvenience.

The biggest flaws with this game are the enemy AI. They will often take time to start firing, and there is quite often you see a body part sticking out from behind their cover, making them way too easy too snipe off. Due to Lara's low health and the games plentiful enemies, this does not alter the difficulty too much, but it does cut away from the immersion. Furthermore, there are some few things that will be bothersome from time to time; for example, the fact that you can't roll through holes in the wall (you will in fact bounce back from an invisible wall).

The story is well thought out and is interesting throughout the game. The relics and journals are all building immersion, and keeps you playing this otherwise fairly short game for a lot longer than it would have if it would have been, for example, artwork (as is the case in a lot of other game in this and similar genres). I would not say there are an abundance of clever plot twists (mosts are in fact quite obvious from the beginning), but nevertheless I could not see that it would have made the game any better.
    The platforming and puzzle-solving, while still easier than average, gives a sense of satisfaction. You won't be stuck for half an hour figuring out how to open the door to the temple (which will then require you to cross the world to obtain the necessary item), but instead you will probably solve it in a few minutes, using only objects directly available. This is a great way to use these techniques without alienating a major part of their target audience.

The graphics are amazing. Certain games, like BF3 and Crysis, keeps on getting good graphics review simply from the fact that they add pixels. In Tomb Raider, this is not the case. Well, not only, at least. The softness of the light, the amazing views and the great choice of colours makes Tomb Raider truly stand out. It is hard not to be caught up in this world, where every step you take could be part of a cut scene (and the cut-scenes are even better!).

Even though it has its flaws, Tomb Raider earns a well deserved 10. The last time I was this much in love with a game was when the original American McGee's Alice was released. And that was almost 13 years ago.
    Tomb Raider is a completely different genre than earlier Tomb Raiders game. They have given up the hardcore platforming and puzzling, and exchanged it for a deep personality and an interesting story. I for one could not be happier.
  22. Mar 14, 2013
    One of the most beautiful games I have ever played. I am a rare breed where I can't finish a game let alone get 30 minutes into one. This game wasn't one that let me sink my teeth right in off the bat. Once I got into knowing where Lara's character was going I just had to know what happened next. The presentation to this game was nothing but amazing. Not since Max Payne 3 has a game madeOne of the most beautiful games I have ever played. I am a rare breed where I can't finish a game let alone get 30 minutes into one. This game wasn't one that let me sink my teeth right in off the bat. Once I got into knowing where Lara's character was going I just had to know what happened next. The presentation to this game was nothing but amazing. Not since Max Payne 3 has a game made me connect to the character and feel as if my actions were truly controlling and manipulating what is next for her. At first the gameplay does seem quite forced and boring. Hunt this, QTE... I really didn't care for it. But once you break the first sequence of events you're in for quite a thrilling experience. Lara is acted by the lovely Camilla Luddington. Initially I played this game purely because of her, she has yet to be discovered in Hollywood and this may have been what I thought was her chance to really prove her skill. I couldn't have been more correct. She was everything that I could want in a character that was the face of gaming for quite a few years, yet she made it her own and created someone which feels as if there was someone like Lara.

I am done with making this out to be the best game ever. But it is the game of the year thus far. 9.4/10
  23. Mar 6, 2013

My review is in the link. 9/10

I suggest Tomb Raider to any gamer, especially to any previous Tomb Raider Fans!
  24. Mar 9, 2013
    Tomb Raider offers a completely new direction for the Iconic Lara Croft, who while a household name in the 90's, has fallen out of the public eye to some extent in later outings of her series. This re-imagining exists as sort of a Secret Origins for Lara Croft, showing how she went from the inquisitive skeptical college graduate and archaeologist to hardened survivor and intrepid explorerTomb Raider offers a completely new direction for the Iconic Lara Croft, who while a household name in the 90's, has fallen out of the public eye to some extent in later outings of her series. This re-imagining exists as sort of a Secret Origins for Lara Croft, showing how she went from the inquisitive skeptical college graduate and archaeologist to hardened survivor and intrepid explorer and eponymous Tomb Raider. I'm no expert on the character as I've never been that huge a fan of the series, while the idea was always appealing it never lured me in beyond, also I was a Nintendo Kid growing up, so if you're looking for a review that compares this tomb raider to the rest of the series disregard much of this. Tomb Raider begins with a Naive, innocent Lara going through hell, as the game progresses, Lara becomes more and more injured, and degraded, as she struggles to survive and overcome challenges. As a result of this characterization and graphic suffering and desperation, from the voice acting, to the animation, to the dirt and wounds and tearing of clothing, Lara's trial by fire feels almost uncomfortably real and I loved every minute of it. Every challenge she overcomes, she reacts to realistically and becomes stronger. She evolves into the character that became so iconic. Lara is fully 3 dimension and this is wholly her story. Speaking of story, the game employs a storytelling method of Lara's natural curiosity getting the better of her, even through all she's suffering through and being challenged with to uncover the secrets of the island she's crashed on. By finding old documents, the journals of long dead inhabitants of the islands, her crewmates, her own internal monologues at campfires, and through uncovering lost tombs and relics scattered throughout the island, you discover the secrets and revelations of the islands dark past yourself. This game is very much like playing an Indiana Jones movie mixed with some survival horror and cult shocker. The gameplay is smooth and feels visceral and rewarding, you feel real danger, and there are genuine thrills, additionally, failure is rewarded with a gruesome and not for the feint of heart death sequence that would push the squeamish to do better, further amping up the survival factor (though a sadistic player may try to fail each one once just to see all the many death animations and there are a lot of them) The combat however is typical of the genre, cover based with much more desperation involve, regenerating health returns but without a health bar or any track of it, the slightest mix up can get you killed, but there is usally a chance to get to cover and survive. that is what this game is all about. Survival. armed with bow and arrow, climbing axe, pistol,and later more brutal weapons, Lara gets downright savage in this game toward the end with her own killing animations. You gain experience for finding relics, killing, hunting, finding collectibles and story objectives which are used to buy skills, higher level skills are only unlocked after unlocking a number of prequisite skills to gain access to another tier, weapons can be upgraded to a point at which you must find parts to upgrade to another tier of of weapon (a makeshift bow becomes a recurve bow, et cetera) The game places emphasis on using your head, enviroment, surroundings and stealth to your advantage, you have a dedicated 'scramble' button to avoid or minimize damage in combat, that while effective is not guaranteed to work. Standing out of cover to take your time is frustrating though, as it opens you up, but the aiming is sluggish (and you must be aiming to fire) and the enemies move quickly and almost non stop, even when you're still unnoticed, while realistic, can be irritating as it makes carefully timing your shots less effective and more dangerous than frantically spraying bullets in combat and hoping you kill it. perhaps this adds a dose of realism? I dont think so.

The few flaws this game has is the fact that I feel it overuses quick time events somewhat, while I like them and think they enhance cut scenes by making them more "gamey" they are something of a crutch. I dislike how easy the platforming is sometimes and how linear the game can be, but the puzzles are often interesting, yet still simple while I would prefer more complex ones, they are there but too few. There are elements of metroidvania gameplay here I appreciate (areas and bonuses are locked until you get a certain piece of equipment, at which point you can return to the area) also, the combat has too much emphasis on gunning down your opponents later in game and it's much much more difficult to remain stealthy and precise. it becomes too easy to simply mow down enemies with various guns late game. While satisfying the first chance you get to do this, it hurts the overall experience. But overall, the negatives aren't enough to weigh down such a great game.
  25. Mar 8, 2013
    This reboot of the series is an extremely well done and needed addition. I was a huge fan of the series back in the day, however, in past years the series seemed to dip off and not be interesting or even fun.

This game changes that. I find myself enjoying every minute of the game from the visuals, sound, challenges and the storyline as well. The idea of this being how Lara became who she is now is shown in an accurate and interesting way. Tress FX from AMD on the PC versions is actually a huge addition to the game. I mocked the idea of someone animating hair because, let's be honest, it's just hair. However, to see it in action it actually does add detail and realism to the game itself. If you have any desire to play a Tomb Raider game, do not pass this one up. This one is definitely one of the best of 2013 so far.

Pros: Visuals are outstanding (Tress FX). Storytelling is great. Combat is entertaining and the cover system just 'works' even though it's not complex.

Cons: nVidia drivers aren't optimized for this just yet so on Ultra there will be some slow down on high end PC's. And....nothing else?
  26. Mar 8, 2013
    Let me start by saying that I am very glad I bought this game. I play all types of games, and this has been one of my favorite ones lately. I would give this a 10, but the multiplayer shouldn't be there, it's more of a thing to do after you have done 100% completion on hardest setting. I played through the entire game on normal with 80% completion when I was done, and man did I haveLet me start by saying that I am very glad I bought this game. I play all types of games, and this has been one of my favorite ones lately. I would give this a 10, but the multiplayer shouldn't be there, it's more of a thing to do after you have done 100% completion on hardest setting. I played through the entire game on normal with 80% completion when I was done, and man did I have fun. The people who complain about QTE's must be jaded to the fun that they can be, and how it keeps you honest around every corner by making sure you got your hand on the buttons or you could be roflstomped. Tomb Raider is back, and making an attempt to freshen up what had gotten to be a stale shooter with puzzles. Some people hate change, but in my opinion, without the overhaul that SE did with this franchise, Lara would be done. I can honestly say that I felt attached to Lara in this game unlike any previous titles, and the secondary characters had some dimension, but you have to read all of the journals and hear all of the really well done vocal/voice work to understand them deeper than just "Lara and friends". The graphics are well done, with the exception of some shadow glitches in certain foliage on PC (hoping it's a small patch fix.) I was impressed overall by the quality and consistency, there was even a graphic setting for her hair which when turned on, made it render what seems like each strand of hair and not a solid seeming hair. The action has you going non stop from place to place, there is always something to do, and finding all of the weapon upgrades is key to having the most fun out of this game. I would recommend this game to my friends and family, I thought it was very well done. Expand
  27. Mar 8, 2013
    I hate QTE games and "interactive movies". Games like far cry or assassins creed filled with cutscenes all time and with very low gameplay difficulty really piss me off and bore very fast. But this game is so well done that it made possible to me to enjoy this kind of gameplay. The story is very good, the gameplay is entertaining and always interesting.

Also, as pc user it has to be

Also, as pc user it has to be noted that it is the best conversion I've ever saw. I have an old acer laptop with just a 540M but still I'm able to play at normal-high settings with incredible graphics and very smooth.

The cons are the stupid perk system and the story, it is a bit short. I do recommend you to not skip the puzzle and secondary quests, they are very nice and "old tomb raider" style.
  28. Mar 9, 2013
    This is a fantastic game. Great story, a prequel. Great mix of action and puzzles. Great graphics, Lara has never looked so well. The game borrows a lot from Uncharted, but it's not bad, it's very good. Last series had become boring and breathe something new in Lara Croft. The guys who made this game tried their best. I hope that the next part will be worse. The game just pulls his magicThis is a fantastic game. Great story, a prequel. Great mix of action and puzzles. Great graphics, Lara has never looked so well. The game borrows a lot from Uncharted, but it's not bad, it's very good. Last series had become boring and breathe something new in Lara Croft. The guys who made this game tried their best. I hope that the next part will be worse. The game just pulls his magic and mysticism. Wants to play again by the minute, seek to explore, to plunder the tomb. My rating 10 out of 10, so far the best game in 2013. Play necessarily. Expand
  29. Mar 8, 2013
    Great Games don't need to be prefect with no bugs (they help, but it's not everything) or great Graphics, only a Epic story and a good Gameplay, and Tomb Raider full all these requirements and more: adds astonish Graphics and the characters are so charismatic that immerses you in the story, Camila Ludington make a Huge and Brilliant work making Lara Croft rebooted, but...
    The multiplayer
    The multiplayer is not so fantastic, well, planting traps is cool but, i don't see anything more in the multiplayer, is a little boring i can talk!
    Well, but the game is GREAT, is the best Lara Croft game I've ever played, deserves a 9!
  30. Mar 8, 2013
    If you expect this to be the same as the old TR to you might be disappointed, but overall its a very good game imo. I give it a 9 because it could have been a little more challenging. It took me 26 hours to complete the game with a 100% score on all sectors and upgrades/skills.
  31. Mar 9, 2013
    The Best Tomb Raider i ever played. The game is very enjoyable, graphics, sounds, level design is superb. The Multiplayer is is simple. Controls are very easy. There are plenty of action and the QTE is very addictive.
  32. Mar 10, 2013
    If you enjoy playing through an awesome story-line with great characters, beautiful surroundings/graphics, and lots of kick ass action that gets your heart pumping, then this is the game for you. With the option bonus of puzzle tombs and for the collectors plenty to find and explore. I thoroughly enjoyed the game, so far best of 2013. Tons of fun, and hope they make another! Don't miss this one!
  33. Mar 10, 2013
    i find that this is one of those games, for me, that has a high replay rate cause of how fun it is, cause it is, it's always fun to run around and shooting people with bows and arrows there is something Medieval about it, and people tend to love that Medieval feel. I also love the tombs that is not a part of the main quest but still contribute to the story about Tomb Raider. how everi find that this is one of those games, for me, that has a high replay rate cause of how fun it is, cause it is, it's always fun to run around and shooting people with bows and arrows there is something Medieval about it, and people tend to love that Medieval feel. I also love the tombs that is not a part of the main quest but still contribute to the story about Tomb Raider. how ever there is a downside quick time events i hate them that gives to much movie feel to it, i love how they look but it's not a plus. but great game overall Expand
  34. Mar 12, 2013
    First of all i have to say that i was blown away with the new Tomb Raider. It is beyond my expectation. Visually very eye candy, sound effects are very good, controls are easy and responding. Enemy AI could be more clever, but hey, they are deadly enough if you are to slow. There is so much to explore and rewards are good. To keep this short as possible, people this game is worth playing.First of all i have to say that i was blown away with the new Tomb Raider. It is beyond my expectation. Visually very eye candy, sound effects are very good, controls are easy and responding. Enemy AI could be more clever, but hey, they are deadly enough if you are to slow. There is so much to explore and rewards are good. To keep this short as possible, people this game is worth playing. The best game so far in this year. Expand
  35. Mar 12, 2013
    Just about perfect. Great story, great pacing, beautiful graphics. Only complaint is the current issue with Nvidia and the hair, but otherwise the game runs great.
  36. Mar 17, 2013
    Only really played the first couple of Tomb Raiders, then it got same old and stale. After playing this reboot I can honestly say its one the best games ive played in a long long while. Very atmospheric, visuals are amazing in ultra and gameplay is so smooth and seemless. Makes me want to carry on playing to get to the 100% completion!
  37. Mar 17, 2013
    loving this game. enjoying every moment of it. first one i played was tomb raider II. i can say even with graphically improved gameplay and new environment. the feeling of playing a tomb raider game is still present.
  38. Mar 20, 2013
    There is just no words to describe this new Tittle. I was always Fan of Tomb Rider and i really was afraid that they will ruin with this new installment reboot. I was wrong. The Graphics are breathtaking The story telling is one of the best today and the mechanics are platform is still there. They Manage to make a Game that although feels like a movie which is not a bad thing it offers aThere is just no words to describe this new Tittle. I was always Fan of Tomb Rider and i really was afraid that they will ruin with this new installment reboot. I was wrong. The Graphics are breathtaking The story telling is one of the best today and the mechanics are platform is still there. They Manage to make a Game that although feels like a movie which is not a bad thing it offers a entertainment that most games are not. The platform from all games is still here the shooting is fun and the new Upgrade mechanics are really nice new additions. The only problem with this Title was the Quick Time Events. Although they really did a awesome job and thats how QTE should be in a Game. In most cases (In PC mostly) you didn't know what button to press in order to complete it. But other than that this game is a Fine example of how a QTE should be created The Wolf scene at the start was amazing.

I recommend this title to every Fan old and new of Lara Croft.
  39. Mar 20, 2013
    Stunning, amazing and beautiful. Playing this game on the PC is a plus! Dynamic and exciting storyline drives players to spend time or Lara Croft and her first adventure. The art was beautiful even on low settings of the game. Controls and combat were really smooth especially when Lara Croft jumps from a hanging rope to climb the white rocks. There were a few areas that needed to beStunning, amazing and beautiful. Playing this game on the PC is a plus! Dynamic and exciting storyline drives players to spend time or Lara Croft and her first adventure. The art was beautiful even on low settings of the game. Controls and combat were really smooth especially when Lara Croft jumps from a hanging rope to climb the white rocks. There were a few areas that needed to be improved such as quick-time events that caught the player in such a sudden. Or notify that the action button of E and F are being used as a quick time event button. Other than that Tomb Raider can allow players to discover more tombs and secret areas if the player chooses to stay off the storyline. The levels in the game can be very linear sometimes but that does not defeat the purpose of the game. Crystal Dynamics did a wonderful job and this game could have chosen the 59.99 price range but chooses not to was a smart move. This game is worth the money and players are suggested to buy this game! Expand
  40. May 5, 2013
    This game is one of the most fun games i have bought this year. Its on my GOTY list with Bioshock Infinite and Dead Space 3 (Yes DS3, deal with it.) I never like Tomb Raider, but this reboot got it down just right. Its a great new twist on the series and i want to see a sequel. The only problems this game has is the the quicktime events ruin your experience sometimes. Youll be watching aThis game is one of the most fun games i have bought this year. Its on my GOTY list with Bioshock Infinite and Dead Space 3 (Yes DS3, deal with it.) I never like Tomb Raider, but this reboot got it down just right. Its a great new twist on the series and i want to see a sequel. The only problems this game has is the the quicktime events ruin your experience sometimes. Youll be watching a cutscene only for a the game to throw a "hit the e key" at you and make you die. On top of that, you have little time to react and if you hit the wrong one you die. It sometimes becomes a game of simon says as you try to remember the pattern of whats coming up next because youll die every time. Other than that its great game. Expand
  41. Mar 21, 2013
    The game feels so great and polished. Its just flow. The graphic is supreme. I think this is the best game i personally played since arkham city. But i must say than. Even doe that the game feels so nice and shiny. I still feel that the game have been to much setup for you. Not so much choosing of you own. Just follow the path. All the escapes and collapsing runs a stunning work and setup.The game feels so great and polished. Its just flow. The graphic is supreme. I think this is the best game i personally played since arkham city. But i must say than. Even doe that the game feels so nice and shiny. I still feel that the game have been to much setup for you. Not so much choosing of you own. Just follow the path. All the escapes and collapsing runs a stunning work and setup. But its just to controlled and as the player i feel like i have no control. Then i would have liked to see more advance puzzle. And not so easy a way to find all the treasures that just pups up on the map and gps track on them. The treasures also feels like something completely unnecessary in the game. But but.. As i give this game a score on 9 just say that the overall off the game still works totally awesome. I just see a lot of things that would make this game epic. It really have a lot off potential. So i look forward to the next chapter in Lara crofts life.. Expand
  42. Sep 18, 2013
    Extremely good game. The story, graphics, gameplay, sound, atmosphere, immersion, it's ALL there. There is even innovation not the gameplay type, but still, innovation, which in my ratings is a prerequisite for a full 10/10 score. This innovation is the use of TressFX, which on my SLI GTX 580s worked well.

So basically, yes this game is somewhat like the Uncharted series, and that is a very GOOD thing. It's still Lara Croft, it's still Tomb Raider, and the types of puzzles we use to see in previous TR games are still to be found, except there's a lot more action, more story, more characters, more immersion, more of all that makes a game good.

Wrexmer is complaining about cut scenes and quick time events. I must say, both of these elements were extremely well done in this game, blending in well with the action and context, they are not disruptive at all. I can imagine some people have an absolute dislike for cut scenes and quicktime events, fine, but if that's not your personal case, then I say, you will love the cutscenes and quicktime events. As a matter of fact, in my opinion, this game has THE VERY BEST quicktime event implementation I have ever seen. So there.

There really is nothing negative I could say about this game. It could have been longer, but only because it is so excellent you can never have too much excellent gaming, right? I clock my playthrough on medium difficulty at 14 hours, which is very decent.

Overall, I cannot say enough good things about this game, it is a SPLENDID release, and for once, fully worth the full retail/launch price of $49.99. I almost feel guilty getting it on special for $12.49. Yes, it's that good.
  43. May 26, 2013
    Tomb Raider is just as epic as we expected it to be. And adventure filled with endless fun, it is an incredibly well made reboot that has easily managed to leave Uncharted in the past.
  44. Apr 8, 2014
    This game was surprisingly awesome. I never played any of the previous games and really had no intention to but this one was available for free as a member of Playstation Plus so figured I would give it shot. This best comparison point would be the Uncharted series (which I love) and I think this game was highly influenced by those titles but they pulled it off pretty well. There areThis game was surprisingly awesome. I never played any of the previous games and really had no intention to but this one was available for free as a member of Playstation Plus so figured I would give it shot. This best comparison point would be the Uncharted series (which I love) and I think this game was highly influenced by those titles but they pulled it off pretty well. There are some mind blowing action sequences on par with the best of those in Uncharted.

The environments are beautifully rendered and definitely one of the most enjoyable aspects of the game - the island is just super fun to explore and there are plenty of extras to find. There are some role playing elements to the game and I felt that the skill system worked pretty well and most of the choices were actually useful or just plain cool to see in action.

The story was engrossing but the character dialogue and voice acting seemed a little off (at least compared to Naughty Dog games) but it's still probably better than average. The one thing that seemed a little flat in this game was the combat - it gets a little boring at times and was too repetitive. The emphasis was clearly on other aspects of the game and I wouldn't call this a hardcore shooter so that's understandable.
  45. Nov 16, 2013
    Great game! But the game still feels less involving compared to The Last Of Us. Why? Even with better graphics and framerates, TR's adventure is all about being exploring & fighting all alone. Thus, only Lara's character is properly developed, but not any other supporting characters. TLOU is way more magical as it gets you fully immersed in the relationship between Ellie & Joel. Lara isGreat game! But the game still feels less involving compared to The Last Of Us. Why? Even with better graphics and framerates, TR's adventure is all about being exploring & fighting all alone. Thus, only Lara's character is properly developed, but not any other supporting characters. TLOU is way more magical as it gets you fully immersed in the relationship between Ellie & Joel. Lara is just Lara. I think we need Lara to start having a serious relationship with someone else, explore caves together & go into battle together. Its more fun with "friends", even if they're AI bots. Other than this lonely feel to this game, the rest of the game is simply brilliant! Loved the highs & lows of the game. Decent length & a good story (unlike the ultra-short piece of crap called BF4). I'm glad the puzzles have been toned down, to keep the story moving. Those who like puzzles can always explore the optional caves. I prefer the main quests to enjoy the story on 1st playthrough. Well, looking forward to Tomb Raider 2! Expand
  46. Mar 24, 2013
    With a $45 dollar Steam pre-order (with unlock rewards), a YouTube documentary series, and a Multi-prize sweepstakes, it was clear that Square Enix's goal was to offer up a Franchise reboot that would attract new players, and entice sceptical Lara veterans. And it worked. Really well.

I was reminded of Batman Arkham Asylum when playing this game, and though there is a free roaming aspect to it, the world feels much more contained than other "open-world" games. The puzzles and ''tombs'' in the game are really quite easy, with most areas only requiring you to complete one or two challenges before allowing you to progress. It is very likely that this was done to keep the action flowing and eliminate any chance of player frustration. That being said, I would have liked to see longer and more challenging puzzles in the "optional" tombs.There seems never to be any downtime in the story, and there is always an important quest calling to keep the player moving. Large parts of the game are scripted, but it feels more like you're playing a Lara Croft action movie rather than visiting a Tomb Raider theme park.
    The single player took me about 15 hours to 100% on hard, meaning that its not a terribly LONG game, but it it does have some replay value in terms of game play. The combat, plat-forming, and stealth are all implemented extremely well, including a really convenient "survivor mode" which cuts out a lot of the BS that a game like this can contain (enemies detecting you for no reason, trying to climb on things that aren't interact-able, etc). The animations are great, as well as the context based rag doll and cover systems. Lara moves like a jungle cat while crouching, dodging, and rolling to avoid and take down enemies. Kill moves and cinematics feature the tried and true quick-time-event method, where you press one or two buttons to perform actions.
    While the single player is an excellent game all around and I'm really excited for a sequel, the multi player suffers from Max Payne 3 syndrome. There are no dedicated servers, leading to laggy player-created lobbies and eventually meaning a shorter shelf life. The controls don't translate too well and the action feels wobbly. Players sometimes warp around and kill you before you see them, and its WAY to easy to spawn camp the enemy team (or get spawn camped). All and all, Crystal Dynamics did what they set out to do; reboot an old and beloved action adventure series in a whole new way. The multi player may seem tacked on, and will likely only survive for a month or two, but the Single Player experience will excite and amp up players for the future of this (not so) brand new Series.
  47. Jan 18, 2014
    [TombRaider on SteamPC Score 9 ] Truly a great Reboot and a must for Fans of the TombRaider series. This is the perfect update to the TombRaider franchise with all the run and gun, the platforming and the puzzle solving you loved in the previous editions but with Gorgeous 3D modelling, atmospherics, physics, water and more. A perfectly balanced and highly enjoyable 36 hours of fun just[TombRaider on SteamPC Score 9 ] Truly a great Reboot and a must for Fans of the TombRaider series. This is the perfect update to the TombRaider franchise with all the run and gun, the platforming and the puzzle solving you loved in the previous editions but with Gorgeous 3D modelling, atmospherics, physics, water and more. A perfectly balanced and highly enjoyable 36 hours of fun just waiting for you….. add to cart : )) My only regret is that there is no advantage to Solo Replay; finishing unfound collectibles is fun but very short. Multiplayer is available but you will need to look up a review elsewhere.

[Released] by Square Enix and ported to PC by Nixxies: yeah Nixxies did good work and you should enjoy it. Nixxies did however screw one thing up: Remapping primary key bindings is possible but the alternative secondary key bindings just screw up and then screwed up the on screen instructions. Tolerable but just plain poor programming on somebodies part… NB: This is not a game breaker and should not affect your decision to buy this game because this game really is Fantastic, I just wanted Square Enix and Nixxies to know that this looks bad for them. I enjoyed every second of this game otherwise.

[DRM] Steam only, thank goodness there is no GamesForWindowsLive / Origin / Uplay on this title, I did not have to create an alternative account. [Story] is a prequel to all the Lara Croft adventures…young Lara Croft, a little more helpless, a little more emotional, and sometimes a little too whiny. Character dialogue is immature especially with NPCs, who wrote this balloney? [Saves] Automatic saves as they should be. Perfect. Manual saves as usual.

[Bugs] None that I am aware of….except the key binding fudge. Digital fudge.

[Graphics] Default settings were to heavy on the post processing…. Even though my PC was flipping 60 FPS the depth of field effects and other sh*t was too much. I cut back a lot of the effects and it looked great; sometimes Less is More, and this was it.

[MyPC 2011] i7-2600K 3.4GHz / ASUS Z68 ProGen3 / 8G RAM / Radeon 6870 / W7 PRO SP1 / Samsung 275T @1920x1200 / Logitech G15 / Kensington ExpertMouse / Sennheiser HD600

[MyFavorites] [NowPlaying] BrokenAge [Win7] TombRaider Dishonored TheKnifeOfDunwall TheBrigmoreWitches TheDreamMachine Ep1-4 30FlightsOfLoving Fez BioshockInfinite Antichamber Stacking Metro2033 Rochard Crysis&Warhead&2 JustCause2 Rage [XP] Papo&Yo DeuxExHR&TheMissingLink DeadSpace1&2 Fallout3&NewVegas HalfLife1&2 Bordelands1&2 BatmanArkumAsylum AssassinsCreed Magicka RedFaction Portal1&2 FromDust MrRobot Sam&MaxSeasons1&2 CulpaInnata TheSecretOfMonkeyIsland DreamfallTheLongestJourney Syberia1&2 CrayonPhysicsDeluxe DefenseGridTheAwakening PlantsVsZombies Prototype Bioshock1&2 UnrealTournament3 Quake4 [360] AfroSamurai BrutalLegends [XBOX] HALO KOTOR1&2 Crackdown ArmedAndDangerous AggressiveInline BeyondGoodAndEvil DeadOrAlive1&2&3&ExtremeBeachVolleyball Psychonauts [AppleG4] FullThrottle DeusExMachina ONI ReturnToZork Suspended UnrealTournament TombRaiderSeries

[Born] 1964 [PS: I do not know anybody who works in the game industry ~ I just enjoy games : - ]
  48. May 19, 2013
    By far the best game I've played in a while. I wish they had a way to take screenshots better, some of the environments are awesome and would make for a great desktop background. The puzzles could be a bit harder. One of the few games I'll beat, and will probably even play twice.
  49. May 8, 2013
    i've not played many of the past tomb raider games, i did play the very first one i think and there was a moment in that game, where the T-rex chases you that i still remember today. This new game has so many of those moments i've really just luved it all the way. The game really captures the emotions of being alone in a very dangerous place. Lara is scared and desperate changing toi've not played many of the past tomb raider games, i did play the very first one i think and there was a moment in that game, where the T-rex chases you that i still remember today. This new game has so many of those moments i've really just luved it all the way. The game really captures the emotions of being alone in a very dangerous place. Lara is scared and desperate changing to determined and resolute. the change is a journey that the player really connects with during the game.

The game is quite linear, but you can revisit old spots to complete achievements. This really lets you take the game at your own pace. Some of the set scenes you just need to repeat until you figure the strat out, but luckily the game saves you to the very start of that set scene (so you don't need to repeat the lead up to the event).

so basically,
    i luved the story
    luved the connection with the character
    luved the intensity and pace of the game
    --> get it!
    PS quite intense, graphic and violent not for kids.
  50. May 7, 2013
    One of, if not the best big title game I have played in the past two years. To start, the story, setting art quality and everything is absolutely astounding. The Pros: The graphics, The graphics are amazing and the game is well coded as the game run perfectly smooth under the right settings with 60+ FPS constantly. The sound effects and voice acting are really well done. I also loved theOne of, if not the best big title game I have played in the past two years. To start, the story, setting art quality and everything is absolutely astounding. The Pros: The graphics, The graphics are amazing and the game is well coded as the game run perfectly smooth under the right settings with 60+ FPS constantly. The sound effects and voice acting are really well done. I also loved the 3rd person shooting exspereince. The cover system, wall hugging, (Which work way better then most dedicated shooter games with this mechanic) including all the other animations really add to the obvious hard work that was put into this game. I mean, everything visually and the audio were all well done and really add to the immersion. The story is fantastic and I found myself looking in every corner to find all the artifacts to learn more. I also loved the slight RPG element of ranking up Lara's powers and tweaking out her weapons was a nice touch! I haven't had this much fun in a mostly single player game since Metro 2033 in 2010! I also loved how this game rewards exploring the island rather then other games that kinda steer you to powering through the level without any consideration for games details. Also unlike most games made these days that are so heavily flawed with bugs and glitches, this game had near to none and was extremely stable! During my 20 hours of game(Which is a lot of content and is totaly worth the price) I only have one game crash. I could go on and on, but to wrap this up; the reason this game did not get a 10 is as follow. Cons: What I did not like that was throughout the entire game was the abundance of ammo and the games overall difficulty. In a survival game I expected ammo to be scarce, particularly for fire arms. But, what I found was i was constantly full on ammo 90% of the time in the game. I found myself trying to waste ammo rather then hording it simple because there was so much laying around and on enemies. Also was the games difficulty, I started and played the game on HARD. The combat is pretty easy, unless you do something really stupid as run out in the open; you really can't die. The puzzles are really simple and easy to figure out, Tombs I expected were to be hard and dangerous mini-dungeons, but in reality each of the tombs were hardly deadly at all save maybe a few falls with no enemies guarding the treasures. So over all the game was actually pretty easy, also weapons are extremely accurate even at long ranges such as with the Bow or the Handgun. My last thing was the game did emphasize on exploration and you can explore A LOT of key land marks in the game, almost every prop was explorable, but at the same time you do have invisible walls. I was hoping for a more open world environment to explore rather then almost every level being set in some type of canyon, small basin, narrow passage or every environment where you constantly have walls on both sides or a bottomless canyon. Besides those things, this game is flawless and a must buy must play. You will not be disappointed! This game surely is fun and totally worth the price! Expand
  51. May 8, 2013
    I immensely enjoyed this game. The environment of Yamatai Island is fantastic and memorable, a rather scary mix of ancient Japanese and hideous scrap metal graveyards. Gameplay, both combat and traversal is also pretty damn good.

Far me though, the real star of the game was indeed Lara. She does suffer from a bit of the narrative disconnect between her not wanting to kill and her killing LOTS of bad guys, but more importantly she was quite possibly the most relatable action protagonist I've played. She successfully walks the fine line between fear and courage, meaning that she puts plenty of emotion into her actions without coming off as being whiny or a crybaby. And towards the end, you do get a great sense of her becoming a real badass.

There are a few flaws as always though. I would have preferred there to be more challenging puzzles. And the supporting cast, well certainly not annoying at all, is not fairly interesting.

With all this in mind, Lara Craft is back. And she's more alive than ever.
  52. Jul 16, 2013
    The reviews stating that this game doesn't have the same "feel' as the previous TR games are all correct. This game is much more visceral, open, 'realistic' and has vastly better voice/character acting. There were some scenes that brought me nearly to tears they were so incredible.
    Stellar graphics, game play mechanics, level design, AI and story.
    This game has earned a very rare 10/10
    Stellar graphics, game play mechanics, level design, AI and story.
    This game has earned a very rare 10/10 from me.
    If you just simply hate cut scenes, you may take 2 points off of this score, it's ok by me.
  53. Mar 22, 2013
    Absolutely amazing! This game is so engaging and I could not put down my controller for hours and hours. Interesting story, fine combat mechanics, exciting adventures! The game has much to do even after the main story. Revisiting areas with new gears and find collectibles. Watching how Lara change and grow throughout the game is also very intriguing. Buy it.
  54. Sep 13, 2013
    This game is surprisingly good. I haven't played any other games in the series; they never appealed to me, and I wasn't expecting much from this, but I was pleasantly surprised. It is a jack of all trades, and there is a little room for improvement, but it's still a very polished effort. Specifically:-

(1) The story is fairly interesting and immersive, albeit decidedly linear. (2)

(1) The story is fairly interesting and immersive, albeit decidedly linear.
    (2) The platforming is a lot of fun. It's not perfect, and generally a bit too easy, but still enjoyable.
    (3) The combat is very good. I'm not a great fan of third-person shooters, but this is a very polished example and genuinely fun,
    (4) Plenty of collectibles/side tasks to keep you busy while you're making your way through the story.
    (5) Terrific visuals; looks really nice on max settings.
    (6) Stable! I played the patched version through twice to full completion and I never had a single problem. Even TressFX worked fine on my nVidia card.

After first beating it with 100% completion, I found myself immediately replaying it, which says how good it is. In a nutshell, there is very little wrong with it. Sure, a few of the QTEs are annoying, but there really aren't many of them (less than a dozen in the entire game) and they break up the routine a bit.

Overall, it's a surprisingly polished and enjoyable effort. Good job!
  55. Aug 11, 2013
    Great PC port and great game. It's basically a reboot and even being a fan of the series, thought this was much, much better than it's predecessors. This is quite a feat to achieve in itself and it's very rare that games actually do this but they do sometimes.

The trailers and early gameplay is shameful. It appears as though this is a linear game and very heavy on QTE's. While this

While this is true for the first part of the game (~1 hour) this is done to great effect and since this is a reboot, allows for the development of the character. You truly see Lara shine even her voice actor's better than the last.

Now I don't generally like reboots but I can see taking the franchise in a different direction was actually the best idea anyone could roll with. This is a more dark (not "dark knight" dark but more serious in tone and for the first time A TOMB RAIDER GAME WITH BLOOD AND BRUTAL DEATH SCENES).

It's more of an RPG and campfires help to serve as Hubs which you can explore and look for caves or "tombs", upgrade your character with a similar system of killing animals for XP (like Far Cry 3) and travel to other parts of the world. The game's huge and the campaign is ~20 hours, and then you can free roam. The only DLC I'd recommend is getting a few of the SINGLEPLAYER skins, MP map pack(s) and the tomb dlc. The others can be either earned in the game (skills) or are not that great.

The game's music is surprisingly good and easily beats the last. There's a lot of drama and it's quite gripping. The graphics are sensational and it's ported by Nixxes (the same guys that did Hitman: Absolution and made the Deus Ex: Human Revolution ports). Extensive graphics options, lots of tweaking and PC friendly controls. Although there are button prompts, this game immerses you so well there's nothing to really flaw.

Well actually, there is. The voice actors while Lara and her enemies are great, the rest of her crew isn't quite "there" yet. They don't sound mediocre but they don't sound great either. They've got some accents and for the most part they're fine. You still care about them but all the same when you hear Lara's voice you're like... why can't the others have voices on the same level?

There's tons of bonuses and I really liked upgrading my character. Lots of these upgrades were useful and tricks you learned. You really feel like you're playing with an inexperienced Lara. They've changed the story but again, better. She's still English but the Croft Manor and such isn't here. Nor are there vehicles to drive lol. This doesn't matter this game is easily the pinnacle and the top of the Tomb Raider franchise. Fans and non-fans will get appealed, and no fan can deny how great this game is. They don't sexualise her either and the game tends to be mature (most of the time). Still most players will look at her butt most of the time as she's crawling or climbing. Speaking of which all the movements are motion capped (like the last game Underworld) and again helps with the immersion.

In some respects it's similar to Uncharted but it's still distinctly a Tomb Raider game. In some ways, it's better than Uncharted and if you never got to play Uncharted or wanted to (due to not having a PS3 or access) this game will do the job. It's slick, accessible and incredibly fun to play all while holding the Tomb Raider name high and making great efforts to be a cinematic adventure.

The cinematics aren't too long or boring and they're frequent at the beginning, they help to explain a lot as well as build up the rest of the game. Combat's revamped too and while it can be repetitive at the beginning if you don't do main missions and stick to side-quests... the new tricks and vast amount of unlocks, serve to make combat that comes later less harder than it appears to be and far more fun to dish out finishers and sneak around. There's different play styles too and you're rewarded as such. It felt like Batman: Arkham Asylum at times, which is not a bad thing and they integrated cover really well. The focus is on exploring but combat doesn't feel as cheapily tacked on as past games and it's far better for this 3rd person... type of game.
  56. May 11, 2013
    There is something special about a game that sucks you in and makes you feel so involved you forget you're playing; suddenly you are part of that game. Tomb Raider is one of those titles. It is an artistic achievement. The graphics, level design and sound effects make the overall experience better than the average movie. The gameplay is so fluid you feel like you are Laura, there is noThere is something special about a game that sucks you in and makes you feel so involved you forget you're playing; suddenly you are part of that game. Tomb Raider is one of those titles. It is an artistic achievement. The graphics, level design and sound effects make the overall experience better than the average movie. The gameplay is so fluid you feel like you are Laura, there is no awkwardness found in other titles such as assassin's creed. The character constantly does exactly what you want it to. Everything is realistic except of course the rambo style survivability which is to be expected in any entertaining title. It seems nobody has ever complained about your character being overpowered to survive onslaughts in any title for the past 100 years yet now that the main character is a girl it's an issue. I couldn't stop from beginning to end, and it was better made than Uncharted, and simply superior in many ways, namely controls, story, and environmental effects. There are however some good issues raised by some of the more critical reviews, for example the fact that the game is now more linear than a classic tomb raider game. To this I respond, there are two ways to make a great game, do something different or do like the rest but make it better. The second approach was taken. And still, being a classic tomb raider fan, it's in my book without a doubt the best tomb raider game yet. Expand
  57. JEK
    May 18, 2013
    So funny people try to put down this game when you can see the majority of the votes are positive.
    Well you can't please everybody.
    Well you can't please everybody.
    For me. This is the best tomb raider game I've played. The Graphics and story is fantastic. Never runs out of climatic scenes. The only thing that I noticed, the game is very easy to finish. Too little riddles to solve (unlike it's predecessors). But overall this is a very good game and I recommend this game. It's a little bit of psychological and dark kind of gameplay.
  58. May 8, 2013
    This game is amazing. I love the lore around the island, as well as the story that is being told through flashbacks, Lara's observations, as well as the items you pick up all around the island. The combat is fluid, and I never feel like I am overwhelmed or frustrated with the controls. The control scheme on the mouse and keyboard is amazingly done and I never catch myself hunting for keysThis game is amazing. I love the lore around the island, as well as the story that is being told through flashbacks, Lara's observations, as well as the items you pick up all around the island. The combat is fluid, and I never feel like I am overwhelmed or frustrated with the controls. The control scheme on the mouse and keyboard is amazingly done and I never catch myself hunting for keys to press. The puzzles and challenges within levels, or areas of the map are well thought out and well done. Hats off to the developers for making a wonderful origin story for Lara Croft. Simply amazing, and I have compared it to a good book, I just can't put the game down. Expand
  59. May 10, 2013
    Modernized Tomb Raider is almost flawless gem, it has great visuals and gameplay, only thing that bothered me was the predictiveness of the story at some points. Ultimately it is one of the best games of the year.
  60. Dec 6, 2014
    Tomb Raider is a fantastic game, filled with adventure and exploration. Even though it has limited replay value, the gameplay is simply excellent.

1. Graphics: 9/10 - detailed and fantastic 2. Gameplay: 8/10 - great controls, and natural and fluid character animation make gameplay satisfying. Also, players can approach encounters as they see fit - stealth or all-out assault. Excellent.

1. Graphics: 9/10 - detailed and fantastic
    3. Story: 7/10 - interesting story, but rather simple.

Overall, an amazing game.
  61. Jul 23, 2013
    I wanted to give this around an 8.6-8.7 so giving it an 8 instead of a 9 would have been unfair.

I played the first tomb raider game and I enjoyed it a lot as a kid. The puzzles were challenging at the time and the gameplay was fun. Hearing and seeing the T-Rex for the first time was just an awesome feeling. Going into Tomb Raider 2013 my expectations were kind of high. I've

Going into Tomb Raider 2013 my expectations were kind of high. I've played a lot of games since the first Tomb Raider including sequels that were somewhat underwhelming. I think the team brought Lara Croft into the new age of gaming very nicely. The story was done very well and while it was somewhat predictable, they played the mystical stuff out well like the world wasn't naturally filled with ancient Japanese goddesses. Also, getting to know young Lara and watching her grow into someone more familiar was great.

If you've played any of the Uncharted series then the gameplay might seem pretty derivative but in a good way. It was a pretty familiar formula of some light platforming, shooting, and puzzles thrown in here and there. All were done well enough and have a good amount of polish, however I would have liked to see more tombs and varying levels of difficulty in the puzzles. I know mass market games of today play to the slightly more casual gamer, but in the age of the internet, people that had issues with puzzles could have just looked them up. Also, since the tombs were separate from the story anyways, some really long and challenging tombs would have been awesome. I would have really liked a side story that maybe tied all of the tombs together or just had a tomb that took longer than 5 minutes to get through. Also, quicktime events are starting to get old, especially when they're overused and I think this game was slightly guilty of quicktime overuse. It didnt ruin the game experience by any means but sometimes these events just take you out of the game more than anything.

The game pacing was done really well too. I felt that you unlocked things at a good rate and the story kept moving along well. At one point I thought the game was nearly over only to find out that I was just passed the half way point. At about 9-10 hours the game was still a bit short but if they had tried to make the story longer, I think I would have become uninterested in it. This is where I think the opportunity to make longer and bigger tombs with higher difficulties could have added to the gameplay while not forwarding the story or trying to overextend it. Also, I should point out that I only completed 71% of the game when I beat the story so you could probably get a few more hours at least if you are really looking for everything.

Multiplayer is worth mentioning I guess. It does seem like tacked on and I found it somewhat absurd that there are so many DLC purchases for maps and skins in multiplayer considering how shallow it felt. It wasnt horrible and I did enjoy the time I spent with it, but from what I played, I didnt see anything so new or exciting. If you really enjoyed the game I'm sure you could spend a few hours in multiplayer as well.

Overall I had a lot of fun going back to the franchise after so long and I have to say, Lara is hotter than ever. I'm really excited at the prospects for a sequel to this game but my expectations are going to be much higher. If they released a sequel with another good story, updated and improved upon innovative gameplay, added even hours worth of tombs to raid with more rewarding treasures, and even if they got fresh with multiplayer by adding some coop tombs to raid filled with baddies to fight together as well as puzzles that required teamwork and rewarded you nice treasures, that game would be an easy 10/10.

This game deserves a 8.7 for just the enjoyment level. Its not the deepest gameplay but the story grips you from the start and develops very nicely. Its not without fault and I really expected more tombs with difficult puzzles but in the end I had fun and thats what counts for me.
  62. Jan 5, 2014
    The technically far superior version of the game (till the Definitive edition arrives) is every bit as good as its other versions. This is one suberb game, one of the finest of 2013 and of its generation. The PC version really looks the part and is till now of the best-looking games on all platforms.
  63. Jul 13, 2013
    Story was extremely fun, Most fun I have had in a while to be honest. Watching Lara get the crap beat out of here is a little depressing though. You get used to it after a while though.
  64. Sep 13, 2013
    Amazing game!!! One of the best I've played! It changes a little bit of the essence of Tomb Raider, but still very good!! I like the way things happens, they made a lot of time event, but in my opinion they did it good!
    I'm disappointed only with the puzzles mostly are too easy!! The voices are very well played, sound and music very good!
  65. Mar 23, 2013
    So i just signed up to write a review on this game. I've never done this before but I felt like this game deserved it. First of all, I was never really into the older Tomb Raider games and my review is focused only on the game how i experienced it. I'm not going to name everything that this game offers but I'll write down my general Impressions and things that I think are worth mentioning.So i just signed up to write a review on this game. I've never done this before but I felt like this game deserved it. First of all, I was never really into the older Tomb Raider games and my review is focused only on the game how i experienced it. I'm not going to name everything that this game offers but I'll write down my general Impressions and things that I think are worth mentioning. The Gameplay, which is in my opinion one of the most important parts of a game, is outstandingly good. The combat, the exploration, the search for items and collectables and the skill based passages are top notch. The combat is very intense and responding, the collecting of items and exploration is rewarding and the platforming aswell as the few puzzles loosen the overall progression through the game. All these different contents are not only very well executed but also extremly well paced. Coming to the presentation which is one of the games most notable features. The balance between smooth and relaxing parts such as exploring/collecting and tense parts such as the combat and various environmental destruction, weather and quick time events was overall very well done what makes the game feel very diversified. The plot is well presented and the voice acting (at least in the german version) is pretty good aswell. The plot itself might be a little bit predictable sometimes but the player will forget these flaws very fast because of the astonishing presentation which is never overdone. The different parts of the island are pretty much open but small and limited. In order to visit parts of the island you've already discovered, you can have a rest at various bonfires which will let you teleport to other bonfires. The progression through the game is generally very linear but you are able to go to places you visited before any time you want and for example collect things you've missed. The character development is a major part and is very immersive. Through the course of the game, the main character Lara goes through different changes and the player really feels with the her (at least I did). The other characters stay a little bit shallow and are not nearly as interesting as the protagonist itself. They're more like a help to get Lara's development throughout the happenings of the game apparent and interesting to experience. The atmosphere is very dense and let's the player forget his or her surroundings. While I'm playing this game I really get lost in it and can nearly scent the different smells of the environment. The new Tomb Raider is one of the most immersive games I've ever played and the excellent audio really adds to this. The creak of the old wood in the wind, the ripple of the rain, the crackling of the fire. The soundscape aswell as the beautiful soundtrack is extremely well done and surrounds the player with a living and breathing environment. The visuals really add to this. The technical part, so the engine is pretty nice to look at and the game is very well optimized. What really amazed me is the beautiful art direction. The color palette and the ex- and interiors are wonderfully crafted and especially the exteriors are packed with tons and tons of details that feel very natural and hand made. There are some flaws here and there like the confusing and not easy to use, the quick time events sometimes feel a little bit wasted and the characters, besides Lara Croft, are not very interesting. All these little flaws are not really notable while looking at the game as a whole but they're worth mentioning. All in all this is one of the best games I played in a very long time and the best action adventure I've ever experienced. Expand
  66. Mar 26, 2013
    This game has everything great story, solid gameplay, stunning visuals, thanks for doing a great reboot of tomb raider, my only complaint the game seemed a Little too short for me.
  67. Apr 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I personally gave this game an 8.6 out of 10 (rounds up to 9) because it was extremely well done and reboots the series in an incredibly entertaining and refreshing way. The Lara Croft we are given in this game is not the same raider of tombs from the mid 90s that we knew and loved she is an inexperienced and younger version who has never ventured into a tomb and this is her first journey. By the end she becomes the Lara Croft that we know and love from the 90s but in an updated and pretty epic way. The very last moment of combat even pays homage to the dual pistol wielding protagonist we remember from our first adventure so long ago. I wish there were bears, I wish there were bats, I love that there are wolves but I definitely wish there were more throwback moments than there are, if only to satisfy the fans of the original series who took the time to play this version.

The music is fitting for the time you hear it but isn't very memorable afterwards. The voice acting, especially for Lara is extremely well done, which is something I am very glad to finally be saying about more and more games these days. The combat is very well done when it allows you to do your thing but when quick time events are necessary to defeat particular enemies it gets a bit annoying and some of those events are slightly bugged so it sometimes takes a few tries which only adds to the annoyance factor. Sadly the game is very easy (even on hard difficulty), puzzles are not complex or in depth, you can easily get all upgrades, the game pretty much holds your hand the entire way but that ultimately detracts very little from a game that does a beautiful job of rebooting a series that many including myself feared might be dead after being run into the ground by so many terrible sequels.

The characters other than Lara are unfortunately not very well developed throughout the game, with the exception of your main enemy. Through the journals you pick up over the course of the game you learn bits of information that you would not otherwise know even from Lara's friends/companions. However the only journals that shed any light on much of anything are those from your enemy, and there are a few others that have nothing to do with your group that add to the overall story of the game in a very interesting way. The reason I did not lower my score much for this is because her friends really do not matter in the long run. They are amusing at times but the majority of the narrative takes place without them and Lara is really the only character we are meant to care about.

The island is beautifully crafted and I have not seen any version that does the game justice that is not on a PC with the graphics completely juiced. There are moments that I caught myself just running around and looking at the environments and smiling because they looked absolutely gorgeous on my PC. Even the particularly gruesome deaths that you cause look rather traumatizing at some points and they should as shooting people in the face with an arrow is not a pretty thing.

One of the defining moments in the game is Lara's first kill and this is cut a bit short mostly because the game does not have several hours to let you recover from this but it still feels important and it should as the character will never be the same again. After this she slowly turns into the female version of Nathan Drake, which is kind of funny because Nathan Drake was highly influenced by the original Lara Croft but that link has no negative impact on the game as Uncharted is a great series itself and not taking that into account would have been a mistake that I am glad was not made. By the end her transition is very satisfying and very enjoyable to experience. While there are likely no life altering moments about this game that make anybody want to run out and become a game developer it is an extremely well crafted game that any fan of the original series should play as it reboots the entire thing in such a refreshing way that there will almost definitely be sequels to look forward to in the near future.
  68. Apr 23, 2013
    Jesus, I even registered here to write something 'bout this game... Regarding all the Cut-Scene-Quick-Time-Event comments: I play at PC and I hate those console-thingys were you have to manage 25 buttons with 4 variations to go through the game. Tomb Raider is always fair and uses Bullet-Time to give you the chance to accomplish great things, resulting in a huge 'hoaaahh'-Feeling. AndJesus, I even registered here to write something 'bout this game... Regarding all the Cut-Scene-Quick-Time-Event comments: I play at PC and I hate those console-thingys were you have to manage 25 buttons with 4 variations to go through the game. Tomb Raider is always fair and uses Bullet-Time to give you the chance to accomplish great things, resulting in a huge 'hoaaahh'-Feeling. And that's what a good game does (like Mass Effect, Half Life 2). Looking through my list of 100+ games on Steam so far, I can't recall a game where I invested more effort in a short time to play it through and find every bit of a puzzle.
    To sum it up well where shall I begin? The Story? The Gameplay? The Riddles? The Action-Sequences? Maybe the In-Game Cutscenes???? They are just all phenomenal!!!
    Damn it, I've never been a Tomb Raider Fan. Now I am.
    Give! Me!! MOAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRR!!!!
  69. May 12, 2013
    I absolutely love this game. It’s without question the best game in the series. I don’t mind the quick time events they are well made. Too bad no single player dlc planned.
  70. May 21, 2013
    I played expecting nothing, and I'm surprised. The franchise changed so much, but I believe this game is exactly what a tomb raider should be at this point.
    for those who claim it is an uncharted knock off, it's not. at the first hour you might have that impression, but as you play the game changes and becomes something else. It is a Tomb Raider, never think otherwise.
    And I'm glad it
    And I'm glad it was rebooted like this. The skill system makes a lot of sense, upgrading your weapons is awesome, and the characters are believable and the plot is awesome.
    the little boy who played the first one all those years ago is very happy now.
  71. Jun 3, 2013
    Only just bought and completed this in the sales, I must say the reboot is fantastic, I never really got into the original series but playing this with the amazing graphics, sound, animation and decent voice acting I found myself getting really drawn in.

The puzzles are fun and the action is satisfying, levels are linear, but I like the fact it does not try to do what it does best in an open world setting as it would lose a lot of the the story focus and atmosphere. The game goes from a survival thriller/horror into an action adventure and I found myself missing some of the early tension later on.

The fact that I completed this by playing it straight for a week is testament to the developers, great game, great story with an above average helping of multiplier.
  72. Jul 20, 2013
    The game offers a good adventure with good controls to it. The places u can explore in this game are great as the graphic itself is very well designed with great architecture of ancient style. The Storyline was great and fascinating. this is one of those game where u get to solve a great interesting puzzles with of course, great graphic
  73. Oct 2, 2013
    I really enjoy this game. The exploration and battle are attractive. Some guys say the QTEs are annoying but that's not true. They are not that many and are easy to pass since you have plenty of time to react. I only find the battle could be more challenging.
  74. Jul 21, 2013
    The game is ambitious, and it creates a genuine good experience. I agree that many will be annoyed by the constant quick time events and yes, it does have the capability of testing the player's patience. I pay it no mind as RE4 has made me cope with quick time events. Game is a bit on the easy side without the ability to ever get lost. The side characters are "ok" but I never grew fondThe game is ambitious, and it creates a genuine good experience. I agree that many will be annoyed by the constant quick time events and yes, it does have the capability of testing the player's patience. I pay it no mind as RE4 has made me cope with quick time events. Game is a bit on the easy side without the ability to ever get lost. The side characters are "ok" but I never grew fond of them. The score I give is the overall first time experience which was very good. Expand
  75. Aug 17, 2013
    Great Game! Great story! Endearing characters! The graphics on the PC are simply spectacular, and well constructed maps that make sense to be played. Another interesting point is the immersion afforded because he saw me trying to understand why each element of the scenario being there. Really the series gets a new life with this reboot!
  76. Sep 9, 2013
    I was slowly becoming disenchanted of the whole Tomb Raider scene. Probably because I felt she was really a man hating feminist. Its still there but far more toned down. However, I'm glad I brought this. A lot of care obviously went into producing this title, and Miss Croft looks stunning, and even shows a vulnerable side. She also accumulates physical scarring. I liked the QTE inI was slowly becoming disenchanted of the whole Tomb Raider scene. Probably because I felt she was really a man hating feminist. Its still there but far more toned down. However, I'm glad I brought this. A lot of care obviously went into producing this title, and Miss Croft looks stunning, and even shows a vulnerable side. She also accumulates physical scarring. I liked the QTE in this game. They provide the opportunity for some visually impressive action. Something that's hard to achieve in normal control mode. The only thing I missed was the LC signature tune which should have made an appearance at least occasionally. Highly enjoyable and my personal Game of the year 2013. Well done Square Enix & Crystal Dynamics. Other games I recommend are The Witcher 1 & 2. Expand
  77. Sep 12, 2013
    It is so rare that a reboot of ANYTHING is better then the original but it has been proven possible by this game. Now, the tomb raider games were still great before (except Angel of darkness, of course!) but this game is just even better, so much better that I just find it hard to believe. I love the character development in this game, I fell in love with every character and becameIt is so rare that a reboot of ANYTHING is better then the original but it has been proven possible by this game. Now, the tomb raider games were still great before (except Angel of darkness, of course!) but this game is just even better, so much better that I just find it hard to believe. I love the character development in this game, I fell in love with every character and became attached to them. The graphics are truly great and there are some awesome events and set pieces. Game play is great, combining platforming, shooting, stealth and other genres perfectly. There wasn't a moment of this game that I didn't love and it was very hard to put down! If you haven't played this game then stop looking at reviews and go get it! Simply a must have for any gamer. Expand
  78. Oct 24, 2013
    I don't liked Tomb Raider that much before I play this game, but after, I was really happy that I give it a chance.
    Godlike action with some adventure and role play features, what makes the new Lara Croft to one of my favorites this year.
  79. Oct 26, 2013
    This game was a total surprise for me. Having never really been a huge fan of the Tomb Raider series, I was thinking of skipping this one, but hearing so much positive buzz about this title convinced me to pick it up on Steam, and I am glad that I didn't pass it up. Enjoyable game-play and an interesting story had me hooked from the get go. Reminiscent of the Uncharted series, the new TombThis game was a total surprise for me. Having never really been a huge fan of the Tomb Raider series, I was thinking of skipping this one, but hearing so much positive buzz about this title convinced me to pick it up on Steam, and I am glad that I didn't pass it up. Enjoyable game-play and an interesting story had me hooked from the get go. Reminiscent of the Uncharted series, the new Tomb Raider seems to focus more on action than puzzle elements, with the few included puzzles being rather simple affairs, but it's just so fun to play that these little shortcomings are easy to overlook. Superb graphics combined with a very high level of polish and fun makes this game easy to recommend. Expand
  80. Dec 8, 2013
    this game is amazing, the story is excellent and keeps you wanting to play more, and the games long! when it feels like its almost over, youre only about half way through. the world is generally pretty open, and full of treasures for the completionists out there. it kinda reminds me of mario 64 in a way, in that your character is at once familiar, but new abilities are constantly beingthis game is amazing, the story is excellent and keeps you wanting to play more, and the games long! when it feels like its almost over, youre only about half way through. the world is generally pretty open, and full of treasures for the completionists out there. it kinda reminds me of mario 64 in a way, in that your character is at once familiar, but new abilities are constantly being given to you, although in this game theyre mostly about dispatching bad guys in the coolest way possible.

that brings me to the combat, this game on anything else ive played in years. seriously, lara croft makes batman from the arkham games look like a just awesome, and made every battle really fun.

just top notch start to finish, if you havent played it yet get crackin, its great.
  81. Dec 8, 2013
    Oh..my..God...

This was so AWESOME! First and foremost: No Bugs. Well, its not new, but anyway. i think nowadays even that needs a positive note! Graphics are good! Just the Hair... sometimes they just go... nuts (Tress FX, GTX 780). Especially in the beginning the stupid Quicktime "Hit E, left,right Hit F" is annoying, but later gets scarce. The Char Dev is very good. Sound is
    Oh..my..God...

The Char Dev is very good. Sound is superb. Usually i play in english so the bad synchs dont ruin the Game. But this one German all the way! Awesome Job!

Then a bit of history here and there and off you go. Just a experience of all senses that blows you away.

When i think of the Money ive spend on CRAP Games which dont even work im really shedding a tear here that i got this for almost nothing. They wouldve deserved the Money!
  82. Apr 10, 2014
    An absolutely fantastic games and fantastic controls. I can't tell you how enjoyable playing this game was. I love the weapon choice, weapon add-ons and most of all the bow. The voice acting is top notch. The sense of exploration is great although at times a bit too linear, quick time events could also be annoying for some however I thought they were well implemented. I haven't touched theAn absolutely fantastic games and fantastic controls. I can't tell you how enjoyable playing this game was. I love the weapon choice, weapon add-ons and most of all the bow. The voice acting is top notch. The sense of exploration is great although at times a bit too linear, quick time events could also be annoying for some however I thought they were well implemented. I haven't touched the multiplayer and I have no desire too. This game could have been enhanced by giving the player some more freedom of exploration - the tombs although option were pretty easy.
    This reboot serves as a darker tale for the character of Lara Croft and is an excellent one at that. Great gameplay and a solid story make this a fantastic game.
  83. Nov 21, 2014
    In a world where grind and meaningless slaughter is ke, Tomb Raider is a bit of fresh air. It has a deeply immersive atmosphere, beautiful scenery and the kind of story that gives meaning to your every action to such an extent that it is easy to feel alongside Lara the urge to survive.
  84. Oct 23, 2014
    I find it interesting that people either love or hate this game, and even the reviews of the reviews are mostly split down the middle. I loved this game, and I have have been playing Tomb Raider since the first one in 1996. I still remember when you would walk into EB Games or CompUSA and see Tomb Raider boxes lining the walls. Anyway, I know the argument that this is not like aI find it interesting that people either love or hate this game, and even the reviews of the reviews are mostly split down the middle. I loved this game, and I have have been playing Tomb Raider since the first one in 1996. I still remember when you would walk into EB Games or CompUSA and see Tomb Raider boxes lining the walls. Anyway, I know the argument that this is not like a traditional Tomb Raider game where you start a mission right at the tomb entrance and spend the next few hours trying to solve a bunch of puzzles and perform death-defying acrobatics to get through it. I think Crystal Dynamics proved they could make that kind of Tomb Raider game and did it exceptionally well with Legend/Anniversary/Underworld. They also showed they could make an excellent platformer with Lara Croft and the Guardian of the Light. So next they took on the challenge of rebooting the series for the next generation and I think they succeeded. They could have easily just made another Tomb Raider in the mold of the previous titles, but then I imagine they would have been accused of being unoriginal and just producing more of the same. So they took a chance to make a different kind of game, and when you do that you are going to get beat up a little too, but I think the reward is worth it.

The Tomb Raider reboot screams quality, everything from the graphics to the cinematics, the action, game mechanics, story, map design, combat, interface, and the number of things you can do in the game. It kept me engaged the whole time, and I really was invested in Lara and her growth as a character. Yes, it does feel like you are in a movie at times, but in a good way, and I did not mind the QTEs for the most part, I thought they generally flowed very well. At its best, Tomb Raider is spectacular and exhilarating.

Gameplay was mostly very enjoyable. I liked the addition of the axe climbing and attaching rope lines with your arrows. I didn't miss the wall running (there were times I hated it in Anniversary), but I was disappointed that they removed pole swinging, a staple of past Tomb Raiders (there are times when she swings on a pole to the next ledge, but its automatic). For the first time in a Tomb Raider, there is fun combat where you actually have to aim and shoot. My only issue is that they overdid it at times, and made it feel like you were playing Call of Duty more than Tomb Raider. The scene that immediately comes is in Shanty Town, where Lara is on a platform with waves of spawning enemies coming at her. It felt completely out of place for a Tomb Raider game. It would have been much better if they had placed enemies throughout the map to give you the option of engaging them or stealthing past them, which fits more with the kind of character that Lara is.

As for the tombs, yes, they are simple one room affairs. Most are pretty clever, though, and no one is making you press the survival instinct key to get a hint. Now that Lara's back story has been told, I am hoping that in her next adventure the emphasis will again be on the actual tomb raiding, and we will see longer and more elaborate tombs for her to explore and solve. The maps in the game are full of clever touches, and while I have finished 90% of the game, there are still a few places that I am trying to figure out how to get to.

I thoroughly enjoyed Tomb Raider, and look forward to the next one.
  85. Nov 20, 2014
    Made an account on metacritic just to put this up here.
    This game has only two flaws - the game is a bit too easy, even on Hard difficulty I only died during battles if I played sloppy or was trying to do fancy kills.
    Made an account on metacritic just to put this up here.
    The second problem is - even if it's a long game but I wish it was longer! I enjoyed every single minute of it and afterwards I was left with a somewhat empty feeling. This is a must buy!
  86. Mar 10, 2013
    This game is intense!!! GOTY 2013! Played this for 6 hours, story and that island are really interesting. Thanks Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix for this.
  87. Mar 14, 2013
    It had been a pleasure playing this game. It was the best reboot for the franchise that I can tell. The game was extremely beautiful in its own way. Literally, I cannot express in mere words how much I enjoyed this game. It was overwhelmingly desirable, wonderful and realistic. The story line was amazing and I was so involved with the character and the story that made me go so deep intoIt had been a pleasure playing this game. It was the best reboot for the franchise that I can tell. The game was extremely beautiful in its own way. Literally, I cannot express in mere words how much I enjoyed this game. It was overwhelmingly desirable, wonderful and realistic. The story line was amazing and I was so involved with the character and the story that made me go so deep into the game every moment that I played. I love it. Simply beautiful! All in all, it has been my favorite game for this year. Expand
  88. Mar 11, 2013
    Really good game. I really liked beginning and the end of the game. Want more Survival and less Action. The idea of ​​a bow support and approve. Let the developers continue. Shall put 10 of 10 because liked crazy. Sorry for very bad English.
  89. Mar 21, 2013
    The best thing about this game is that it's fun! You always feel compelled to go on, every action feels natural and simple but rewarding.
    Art direction is amazing and the environments and characters look gorgeous.
  90. Sep 16, 2013
    To everyone complaining about the cut scenes, start playing the game and stop complaining.
    This game is an artwork and a masterpiece.
    I have bought and played over 1000 games easily and I can compare to all the ones played before. No other game has this kind of story line and game play. The graphics are stunning and the cut scenes bring depth to the story and makes you feel like you
    This game is an artwork and a masterpiece.
    No other game has this kind of story line and game play. The graphics are stunning and the cut scenes bring depth to the story and makes you feel like you are playing a movie and at the same time make you feel like you are part of the story yourself. (you do not like the cut scenes you can skip them for the whiners here below)

Also I could play many hours without getting frustrated about parts which you had to try over and over again like so many other games which are out there. Well balanced and well polished.

Whilst you play you earn different kind weapons which you can upgrade depending the time you spend finding the necessary pieces.

This is finally a game which uses save points as should, you die you do not have to play another 15 min before getting back at the point where you died.

Yes this is a total different kind of Tombraider (which the developers already mentioned so do not complain about this), almost no puzzles to solve like in the previous Tombraiders, but much more story, action and shooting.
  91. Mar 15, 2013
    Welcome back Tomb Raider, it looks amazing and the story is really good. Ever expanding no doubt with DLC but will be worth it. They have put a lot of effort into the game and it shows, a very fun and expansive story.
  92. Mar 8, 2013
    Wow... just wow. This game was awesome in almost every aspect. I really enjoyed it to the last minute. The only thing that I would give a an 8.5/10 is the combat. There is just something about it. I played it on hardcore mode and it was not as challenging as i thought it would be. Also the weapons did not feel like were improved that much until the later parts of the game. The bow upgradesWow... just wow. This game was awesome in almost every aspect. I really enjoyed it to the last minute. The only thing that I would give a an 8.5/10 is the combat. There is just something about it. I played it on hardcore mode and it was not as challenging as i thought it would be. Also the weapons did not feel like were improved that much until the later parts of the game. The bow upgrades are absolutely sicknasty! Expand
  93. Sep 13, 2013
    This game evolved Lara Croft in a way I never imagined. gone are the big boobs and ass but in its place Is something much more mature and intriguing. In a world where developers are dumbing down games for the average casual gamer, crystal dynamics have gone above and beyond and its really paid off...big time! congratulations on a truly epic game!
  94. Mar 10, 2013
    An intense, interesting and great experience!
    I am not that fan of the "old" Tomb Raider titles. But this one is a really great story with intense visuals and awesme gameplay mechanics which are not gettong boring during the whole game. Even getting 100% wih all the collectibles is challenging and well done!
    Go buy it!
  95. Mar 7, 2013
    Simply put, the best adventure game in 10+ years. It's breathtaking on the PC. Beautiful, emotional, tense and filled with some of the best set pieces ever put into a game. In all seriousness, any of these reviewers that complain about the QTE's haven't gotten past the first 2 hours of the game. They can blah, blah, blah all they want, however, they have absolutely no idea of what theirSimply put, the best adventure game in 10+ years. It's breathtaking on the PC. Beautiful, emotional, tense and filled with some of the best set pieces ever put into a game. In all seriousness, any of these reviewers that complain about the QTE's haven't gotten past the first 2 hours of the game. They can blah, blah, blah all they want, however, they have absolutely no idea of what their talking about because THEY HAVEN'T FINISHED THE GAME. If you're going to review it, FINISH IT. Anyway, just to put this out there, Daverid or whatever his name is, is a complete and utter moron on his review. Point blank. This is THE game to get for this generation. After completing the game, I've clocked in over 20 hours. Fantastic and utterly sensational. Love it. Kudos to Crystal D for this game. Expand
  96. Mar 22, 2013
    Great game if you like the original series on the console, this one just makes the franchise better. The new Lara Croft is awesome she's more like a real person and less like a cartoon. The voice acting and the graphics are very well done. The story is immersive and compelling. So many titles for the Xbox are just rehashing the same old stuff, but that's not the case with Tomb Raider.
  97. Mar 19, 2013
    9 10 AMAZING, easily the best Tomb Raider game to date, it's an incredible mix of open-world exploration and intense action sequences. Excellent presentation, good (while unoriginal) story, and an amazing singleplayer campaign.

PRESENTATION: All of the visuals are amazing, whether it be the depth of field, particle effects, animations, or the textures. Just make sure to optimize it to whatever your computer's strength may be. The sounds are great too; voice acting is great (especially from Lara's character), music is phenomenal, and the effects are all great. Camera angles have always been a major problem with the Tomb Raider series, but this one fixed that up and it's "fine" now. However, why are the liquid drops on the camera? That makes no sense, and just gets annoying. If this were first-person, it'd make sense, but now?

STORY: It love the story, it has a very Indiana Jones style feeling. The game has a great mix of intense, gritty, and brutal moments with moments that just feel like pure light-hearted adventure. A feeling I haven't had since I played Twilight Princess back when I first got a Wii. I like the characters, only a few have a critical impact on the story, but I actually ended up being able to distinguish them all, and liked them all for their individual quirks. (except for Wittman, that pansy)

GAMEPLAY: Platforming, combat, RPG-like system, and the huge world off of the given path are so perfect, it's a little breath-taking. The cover mechanic is actually amazing, which is surprising considering how clunky other games have used it. There's some decent stealth, but the assaulting moments are the beef of the gameplay. HOWEVER, the multiplayer is so downright awful, I couldn't believe it, I don't even suggest touching it. I forced myself through a few matches just so that I could bring you this lack of information, it's terrible. But the rest is great! I'm done here, thanks for reading!
  98. Mar 9, 2013
    The main reason I like the game is because the story is intriguing. You want to keep playing only because you want to find out what happens later. The action feels good, but a little too easy. The puzzles are fun, but again a little too easy. The world/ scenery is vibrant and beautiful, you get a real sense of discovery in this game. Many areas have lots of places to explore to find hiddenThe main reason I like the game is because the story is intriguing. You want to keep playing only because you want to find out what happens later. The action feels good, but a little too easy. The puzzles are fun, but again a little too easy. The world/ scenery is vibrant and beautiful, you get a real sense of discovery in this game. Many areas have lots of places to explore to find hidden items/tombs. Two complaints: 1. I've encountered way too many glitches, mainly clipping and going through walls. Nothing game breaking, just annoying. 2. Single player is way too short. Wanted to explore more at the end. Two minor complaints: 1. Character progression is linear. You get all the skills at the end, so there's no point on giving players the option to choose. 2. If you want to collect everything then you need to backtrack once you get the proper item to enter the area. Graphics 10/10 Beautiful game.
    Sound 8/10 Audio is fine. I gave it a 8 only because Lara's voice actor wasn't that convincing. Presentation 10/10 Blockbuster movie like presentation.
    Story 10/10 Interesting story.
    Gameplay 8/10 Good fun. Cover system is simple, but efficient. Lots of crazy action scenes(I think Lara is superwoman). Deaths are fun! Different death scenes for different situations just like Dead Space. I believe this is the start of a great Tomb Raider series. A good fresh game like this revives a franchise from the ashes. It reminds me of Batman: Arkham City; that was the first great Batman game of the next-gen era. Before Arkham city Batman was synonyms with terrible games. But now their image has changed just like Tomb Raider. High quality game everyone should try and I look forward to playing future Tomb Raider games.
  99. Mar 16, 2013
    This game is awesome, I've took my time to finish it, not completely but most of it, including tombs, ruins etc... the graphics are really impressive, the gameplay is great, I'm playing with an Xbox controller and it is even better, it is very good optimized to PC unlike many other new games, the plot is very interesting, and the best thing is that you really want to know what will happenThis game is awesome, I've took my time to finish it, not completely but most of it, including tombs, ruins etc... the graphics are really impressive, the gameplay is great, I'm playing with an Xbox controller and it is even better, it is very good optimized to PC unlike many other new games, the plot is very interesting, and the best thing is that you really want to know what will happen next, the suspense is maintain along the entire game.

Hoping to see another game like this in the future, Maybe Tomb raider 2 :D
  100. Mar 9, 2013
    I never believed Crystal Dynamics would hit a homerun with this one. This is a spectacular game, completely re-inventing Tomb Raider yet remaining surprisingly true to the character Lara Croft. The voice acting alone is probably the best I've ever heard in a game. The story and atmosphere are top notch, gameplay is smooth and fluid with loads of exploring. As a long time fan of theI never believed Crystal Dynamics would hit a homerun with this one. This is a spectacular game, completely re-inventing Tomb Raider yet remaining surprisingly true to the character Lara Croft. The voice acting alone is probably the best I've ever heard in a game. The story and atmosphere are top notch, gameplay is smooth and fluid with loads of exploring. As a long time fan of the franchise I couldn't be more happy with the way this turned out. Can't wait to see what they come up with in the inevitable sequels. Expand
  101. Mar 6, 2013
    Wow. I've been waiting for this game for 2 years and I have to say, Crystal Dynamics has left me very impressed. The graphics are amazing, the game-play is very innovative, even the quick-time events make the player feel like more of a part of the character. Even the main menu blew me away. Overall, this game deserves a 10, no matter who you are or what games you play. If you thinkWow. I've been waiting for this game for 2 years and I have to say, Crystal Dynamics has left me very impressed. The graphics are amazing, the game-play is very innovative, even the quick-time events make the player feel like more of a part of the character. Even the main menu blew me away. Overall, this game deserves a 10, no matter who you are or what games you play. If you think it deserves less than an 8, well, you might want to reevaluate your perspective. Collapse

1. Jun 10, 2013
    The new incarnation of the iconic Lara Craft might very well be one of the best games out there right now. [April 2013]
  2. Mar 30, 2013
    Everything you could want from an archeological adventure, except having to press six keys to mantle. [Apr 2013, p.80]
  3. Mar 19, 2013
    While not every promising idea Tomb Raider has is pulled off successfully, it nevertheless turns in a tense and memorable ride that combines modern game design with its forebears’ adventurous spirit in some exciting ways. Some of its missteps may well come at the cost of your enjoyment, but most can’t hope to hurt the adventure in the long run. Although it never fully finds its identity, this is a game and a story worth seeing through.