8.5

1. May 18, 2013
    what's up with with developers and ther LOST FETISH???
    this was an 'craptastic' interactive movie.
    it's your common console port, and on PC this game is just too easy. like someone else said:
    autoplay.
    quick time events are annoying and should never be in a PC game.
  2. May 18, 2013
    I can't believe this is the new Lara i mean she hate tombs,The story is nothing to do with tombs.The old Lara persona was way better,story was better king arthur,mystic tombs,This game should be called the "Lost Island" or something similar.
  3. May 18, 2013
    Let's get some of the obvious out of the way. The game is beautiful, graphic and art wise, the hair physics is incredible if your computer can handle the highest settings. Sound and the music set the mood for the game perfectly. The new cover system is the most impressive of the whole game. Lara will automatically crouch down near or stand up depending on the cover you intend to use. ThisLet's get some of the obvious out of the way. The game is beautiful, graphic and art wise, the hair physics is incredible if your computer can handle the highest settings. Sound and the music set the mood for the game perfectly. The new cover system is the most impressive of the whole game. Lara will automatically crouch down near or stand up depending on the cover you intend to use. This was such a breath of fresh air since I always hated that stick to the wall mechanic other TPS have. There are four weapon slots, on hard mode I did need to switch between at least three of those slots to survive. Enemies do try to flush you out of cover throwing Molotov 's or charging you. There are animals in the game that you can hunt for extra XP. They have no other purpose, don't expect to have a meter showing how hungry you are or use the skin of animals for other purposes. QTE's plaque the first hour or two of the game. On the PC, devs fail to tell you beforehand what button correlates with which QTE icon. This game is very linear, only reason to explore would be to obtain all the relics, documents, GPS caches, tombs, along with the in-game challenges. The tombs are not very mind puzzling like old Tomb Raider games and are incredibly short to do. There is no epic boss fight at the end, it's just littered with QTE's. If you can look past the QTE's this is a great modern day TPS gaming experience. Expand
  4. Xon
    May 18, 2013
    The makers of this game tried to pack everything they possibly could into this game. It has more than decent graphics, excellent voice work, splendid animation, and an above par story.

Yes, at times it feels like an interactive movie but for me it didn't detract from the experience, but made a more than positive contribution. There were moments I was struck by the same sense of

There were moments I was struck by the same sense of wonder and exhilaration I'd felt back when I played the original Tomb Raider.

All in all a top notch game.
  5. May 17, 2013
    Great game! The original Tomb Raider (1996) was one of the first games I played as a kid. The subsequent games ranged from very good to really sucky, but I am very happy to report that this particular reboot deserves the highest accolades. The story is good, Lara's development as a heroine is superb (the voice acting really is _amazing_), and the gameplay is quite fun. Sure, I did find theGreat game! The original Tomb Raider (1996) was one of the first games I played as a kid. The subsequent games ranged from very good to really sucky, but I am very happy to report that this particular reboot deserves the highest accolades. The story is good, Lara's development as a heroine is superb (the voice acting really is _amazing_), and the gameplay is quite fun. Sure, I did find the game slightly repetitive by the end (about 15-20 hours of playtime, depending how good you are), but overall it was quite an adventure. Explore areas you've visited before to find hidden secrets and collectibles, kill bad guys with a bow (or grenade launcher, your choice), and do some crazy rock climbing that will make your heart skip at times. I am really looking forward to the sequel! (which I am hoping is in the works) Expand
  6. May 17, 2013
    As someone who has been a fan of most Tomb Raider games I was somewhat afraid of change for the franchise. I did end up enjoying the game but not in the same way that I enjoyed the original series. The puzzles seemed somewhat bland to me, too simple and not as difficult as the puzzles in the original Tomb Raider. Other than that it did make for an overall enjoyable experience.
  7. May 16, 2013
    I want to give this game an eleven, heck at least a ten, but I can't. I can't give it a twenty, because the damn developers had to add shaky cam into the one of the best games released this year. I can't take shaky cam, a lot of us have a problem with it, same with 3D glasses. It gives a small part of the population motion sickness and nausea. For the love of god, please get rid of HeadI want to give this game an eleven, heck at least a ten, but I can't. I can't give it a twenty, because the damn developers had to add shaky cam into the one of the best games released this year. I can't take shaky cam, a lot of us have a problem with it, same with 3D glasses. It gives a small part of the population motion sickness and nausea. For the love of god, please get rid of Head bobs and shaking cameras, we love your game, but we still can't bloody well enjoy it eh? Expand
  8. May 16, 2013
    Giving this a 10 because it's the only game out there that focuses on a strong supportive friendship/relationship between two women and we need more of that in the gaming industry.

And that's just ignoring the flawless 3rd person cover and platforming systems. I do have one complaint as an old Tomb Raider fan I found the "puzzles" in this game far too easy. but I'm willing to ignore

And that's just ignoring the flawless 3rd person cover and platforming systems.

I do have one complaint as an old Tomb Raider fan I found the "puzzles" in this game far too easy. but I'm willing to ignore it to be part of this amazing story of Lara's that is unlike anything else out in the gaming medium today.
  9. May 16, 2013
    Almost perfect in every way! Finally a game as good as Uncharted, and in certain aspects i could say it is even better. My game of the year till now! A must-play for fans of the franchise or genre!
  10. May 16, 2013
    Well. first up games are meant to be fun, and I had a ton of fun with this game, yes its nothing like the original tomb raiders, and the game tends to hold your hand way to much, it didnt need the "click to see where to go" option.. that was dumb, would have been far better to let players find out on their own which was a core element on the original games, but it is fun there areWell. first up games are meant to be fun, and I had a ton of fun with this game, yes its nothing like the original tomb raiders, and the game tends to hold your hand way to much, it didnt need the "click to see where to go" option.. that was dumb, would have been far better to let players find out on their own which was a core element on the original games, but it is fun there are elements of the old Tomb Raider in there but its more like Uncharted. Still worth playing. Expand
  11. May 15, 2013
    Great game. It feels very realistic and shows how Lara Croft has become what she is now. Combat is fun, exploration is fascinating, weapon customization is good. Overall, buy it when the price drops down a bit, it is worth the money.
  12. May 15, 2013
    This game takes the delicate, young Croft through a state of psychological brilliance and intrigue, paired against despair and unfounded hate. In executing a game almost a decade after the popular series was making its mark in the market, the developers not only put life in the busty adventurer, but made her relate-able (as much as possible when comparing your every-day gamer to a gritty,This game takes the delicate, young Croft through a state of psychological brilliance and intrigue, paired against despair and unfounded hate. In executing a game almost a decade after the popular series was making its mark in the market, the developers not only put life in the busty adventurer, but made her relate-able (as much as possible when comparing your every-day gamer to a gritty, in your face revenge killer who searches for long lost treasures).

The game, most especially in the opening, is not completely littered with cut-scenes. However, they are common. Most notably, they are common without being destructive to any degree. They flawlessly wedge their way into the gameplay, incorporating even the semi-common slow motion action and button mash scenes that, yes, make no sense. However, the designer is keeping you enthralled.

By making the introduction interesting and keeping out repetitive wash and action, they don't overwhelm you with terrible cut scenes like most games, only to then destroy your senses through implementation of overplayed and overly familiar battle scenes. They acknowledge the fact that most battles in a single game will be dramatically representative of each other, but do so without making them drab or useless.

The story alone is worth 10 points. The beautiful graphics (playing on eyefinity, 3-monitors. its ok to be jelous), matched to the not entirely linear story only reinforces that rating. Puzzles make sense without being blatantly obvious. And a modern feel of experience for weapon upgrades and skill, resembling Croft's jump into the busty destruction we are all familiar with from her soft past, make for a modern game with a historic feel, all without giving you the handicap all games seem to be giving you.

Also, the lacking downloadable content remind me that this company is the last one to remind us that the cost of the game is about the story, playability, replayability, and enjoyment...Not about making extra bucks and changing their name to Blizzard Entertainment, all while holding ourselves in public because, hey, we are Blizzard and we don't care about you. Now pay us for this reskinning.

Lets just hope companies will follow in these footsteps and do the right thing. Make art that is enjoyable, accurate, and destructively fun.

As said, the execution is almost incredibly flawless. However, the one thing I can't get over is the fact that they gave her a "mountain axe" (its called an ice tool); enabling her to throw 1/8cm steel straight into rock and pull it out again without bringing any damage to the tool. This is just depressing since i have been ice climbing most my life and know exactly the limitations.

No, this shouldn't bother me. But I could expect this in an Indie game and not a game where, despite the legend they try to bring to life in Yamatai, the developers did their homework. All they needed to do was call Petzl (the company they obviously got the design from) and ask, "how do you use this?"
  13. May 14, 2013
    Tomb Raider is a very good and well done game. This game does so many things right it is easy to overlook its flaws of which there aren't many. The story is fun like i believe action adventure should be. I highly recommend this to all the old tomb raiders fans who were brow beat by terrible sequels and to the newcomers who didn't have to wade through the muck which became terrible tombTomb Raider is a very good and well done game. This game does so many things right it is easy to overlook its flaws of which there aren't many. The story is fun like i believe action adventure should be. I highly recommend this to all the old tomb raiders fans who were brow beat by terrible sequels and to the newcomers who didn't have to wade through the muck which became terrible tomb raider games of the past.
    I would caution those who say its not realistic or its a retread and to them i would say its a video game. Entertainment in all its forms no matter how close or far from reality it gets, will always be just be that momentary escapism for lack of a better word
  14. May 14, 2013
    Great graphics (especially for a port) and engaging gameplay. The campaign is memorable but the multiplayer is more-of-the-same. In any case, it's worth every penny for the campaign alone (I played it 3 times, 40h+ in total). You shouldn't pass 2 thumbs up!
  15. May 13, 2013
    I have to tell you guys this is a great that wont make you feel like you wasted your life after. Very nice story, very nice game play. It focus more on solving the problem and surviving instead of just killing and killing and hit. If you are killing and killing and ONLY loves killing then this game is not for you. This game have story, nice puzzles and good action. definitely recommend forI have to tell you guys this is a great that wont make you feel like you wasted your life after. Very nice story, very nice game play. It focus more on solving the problem and surviving instead of just killing and killing and hit. If you are killing and killing and ONLY loves killing then this game is not for you. This game have story, nice puzzles and good action. definitely recommend for everyone. Worth the money and support Expand
  16. May 12, 2013
    Was not a previous fan, but I thought I'd try out this reboot. The game honestly isn't bad, though niggling faults stop me from giving it a higher rating and consider it 'good'. I will inflate my rating by 1 due to how people consider a '6' to mean bad I completely disagree, but there we go.

Graphically the game is very nice. Very dark and gritty in tone. The sounds are equally as impressive.

The gameplay is a mixed bag. At times its extremely tight and fluid, and at other times it suddenly won't do what you expect and you'll end up getting a knife in the face or plummet to the ground. Mostly good, though but not quite as tight as Darksiders II in my opinion. Combat is reasonably easy, though the bow and pistols are by far the most powerful weapons the assault rifle is a complete joke.

The skill ups are very basic and in the end you'll get them all anyway. Feels a little redundant to give the illusion of an RPG.

Story isn't bad, but Lara seems to become an idiot during cutscenes. Not quite as stupid as the bad guys though, who don't remove her weapons after capturing her!

The thing that drags down this game though are the Quick Time Events. There are so many, and they spring out of nowhere and give you a second to work out what key you're supposed to hit and when. Its just frustrating, and the game would be served better not having them at all. Even if they removed the pointless ones like 'press e to avoid falling' seems completely pointless!

Overall, decent game. I enjoyed it, despite its shortcomings and lack of length or replayability. Not even going to touch the Multiplayer. Hopefully if they make a sequel they dump QET's, don't bother with Multiplayer (unless they are going to do co-op, which would be freaking amazing) and focus more on the adventure.

And have Lara cry a bit less after mercilessly killing a hundred guys. Because seriously, the first time was enough.

Weirdly I find myself agreeing with the negative reviews moreso then the positive ones. The combat isn't great, the puzzles are easy and the QET's are horrible. Yet I'm still giving this a reasonably favourable score. Go figure!
  17. May 12, 2013
    I absolutely love this game. It’s without question the best game in the series. I don’t mind the quick time events they are well made. Too bad no single player dlc planned.
  18. May 12, 2013
    I thoroughly enjoyed playing this game. The visuals were amazing, the right amount of action, exploring, cut scenes and difficulty. I highly recommend this game and will be playing through it again on the next difficulty level.
  19. May 11, 2013
    We all know that Lara Croft is one of the most iconic characters in video games. And truth be told, Tomb Raide has always been my favorite gaming franchise of all time. However, now Crystal Dynamics has injected a more stellar energy to its veins. Tomb Raider is much bigger, better, more intense and spectacular. It is the Tomb Raider like you' have never seen before!
  20. May 11, 2013
    There is something special about a game that sucks you in and makes you feel so involved you forget you're playing; suddenly you are part of that game. Tomb Raider is one of those titles. It is an artistic achievement. The graphics, level design and sound effects make the overall experience better than the average movie. The gameplay is so fluid you feel like you are Laura, there is noThere is something special about a game that sucks you in and makes you feel so involved you forget you're playing; suddenly you are part of that game. Tomb Raider is one of those titles. It is an artistic achievement. The graphics, level design and sound effects make the overall experience better than the average movie. The gameplay is so fluid you feel like you are Laura, there is no awkwardness found in other titles such as assassin's creed. The character constantly does exactly what you want it to. Everything is realistic except of course the rambo style survivability which is to be expected in any entertaining title. It seems nobody has ever complained about your character being overpowered to survive onslaughts in any title for the past 100 years yet now that the main character is a girl it's an issue. I couldn't stop from beginning to end, and it was better made than Uncharted, and simply superior in many ways, namely controls, story, and environmental effects. There are however some good issues raised by some of the more critical reviews, for example the fact that the game is now more linear than a classic tomb raider game. To this I respond, there are two ways to make a great game, do something different or do like the rest but make it better. The second approach was taken. And still, being a classic tomb raider fan, it's in my book without a doubt the best tomb raider game yet. Expand
  21. May 11, 2013
    For me the game was a pleasant experience in nature and contain a lot of wonderful options by having the option of the Arabic language and the development of weapons and events environment points skills and clothing worn by Lara, but this does not mean that there are some disadvantages such as exaggeration to overcome the obstacles the difficulty of finding some Collectibles scatteredFor me the game was a pleasant experience in nature and contain a lot of wonderful options by having the option of the Arabic language and the development of weapons and events environment points skills and clothing worn by Lara, but this does not mean that there are some disadvantages such as exaggeration to overcome the obstacles the difficulty of finding some Collectibles scattered in the nature the weakness of the main story And a clear change in the character of Lara as she known of courage the irony Guile savvy, but in this version you see Lara scared many crying and most of the time not know what to do Expand
  22. May 10, 2013
    Visuals pretty, especially with 3D glasses. Just like a movie... but that's all this game is.

The "puzzles" are trivial linear only-one-path cakewalks and are entirely optional. Combat is trivial rinse-repeat with Lara insanely overpowered on Normal (didn't bother turning it up, I just wanted the game to end), and practically unlimited ammo. This franchise continues to go down with

This franchise continues to go down with each version.
  23. CBZ
    May 10, 2013
    The game is great. There is a lot to love from this game, especially the graphics, the art and Lara's agility is well done. The action and the upgrades are great and there are not boring side missions. A lot of adrenaline and explosions (the island seems to be made of dynamite because even rocks explode).
    It is indeed a very linear game and you will never get lost, however, it was like that for a reason and it gives the game a chance to add more mystery and drama.
    The puzzles were quite simple and sometimes repetitive but definitely entertaining. I think it's a must buy for those looking for a good action/adventure game.
  24. May 10, 2013
    Modernized Tomb Raider is almost flawless gem, it has great visuals and gameplay, only thing that bothered me was the predictiveness of the story at some points. Ultimately it is one of the best games of the year.
  25. May 10, 2013
    TLDR; The best Tomb Raider I've played, I see some great potential for the series going forward but still some issues. THE GOOD: There are a lot of things going right for this game: the combat is great (especially with upgraded items), the graphics and sound are well done, the story while still semi Tomb Raider ridiculous is pretty good, and the controls are good (compared to horribleTLDR; The best Tomb Raider I've played, I see some great potential for the series going forward but still some issues. THE GOOD: There are a lot of things going right for this game: the combat is great (especially with upgraded items), the graphics and sound are well done, the story while still semi Tomb Raider ridiculous is pretty good, and the controls are good (compared to horrible controls of previous games). Also really enjoyed concept art as a reward.
    THE BAD: The start of the game is horribly slow. Too many cutscenes, too many quick time events (where you have to memorize the button presses...), the weapons are too limited at first, and I wasn't a fan of the ending. Survival instinct can make things a bit too straight forward (puzzles are pretty simple as well.) The extra challenges (essentially collect/do this or that) don't show on the map when you find them, making them tedious at times to complete.
  26. May 9, 2013
    with to much QTEs and to many cinematic and way linear
    This is just another console port that isent worth getting,

They totally Ruined that IP just like everything
  27. May 8, 2013
    i've not played many of the past tomb raider games, i did play the very first one i think and there was a moment in that game, where the T-rex chases you that i still remember today. This new game has so many of those moments i've really just luved it all the way. The game really captures the emotions of being alone in a very dangerous place. Lara is scared and desperate changing toi've not played many of the past tomb raider games, i did play the very first one i think and there was a moment in that game, where the T-rex chases you that i still remember today. This new game has so many of those moments i've really just luved it all the way. The game really captures the emotions of being alone in a very dangerous place. Lara is scared and desperate changing to determined and resolute. the change is a journey that the player really connects with during the game.

The game is quite linear, but you can revisit old spots to complete achievements. This really lets you take the game at your own pace. Some of the set scenes you just need to repeat until you figure the strat out, but luckily the game saves you to the very start of that set scene (so you don't need to repeat the lead up to the event).

so basically,
    i luved the story
    luved the connection with the character
    luved the intensity and pace of the game
    --> get it!
    PS quite intense, graphic and violent not for kids.
  28. May 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't have anything major against Tomb Raider, and seeing as I haven't played a Tomb Raider game since Angel of Darkness, I was looking forward to this reboot. However, even a month after release the game is still pretty buggy, main problem being with artifacts and other graphical bugs. Story was ok, however the narrative was pretty awful. It just seemed to go a little to quickly. I finished the game in little over 9 hours and didn't feel all that satisfied afterwards. The final boss was a joke, it was just a quick time event. Worse still I encountered a bug which made my quick time prompts float half way off the screen, making it pretty difficult.

On the plus side, some of the tombs had good puzzles and I did enjoy this aspect of the game. The platforming wasn't to bad with only two occasions where Lara did the opposite of what I told her to do. I liked the effort that the developers have put into the environment, it was definitely a pretty game and I did enjoy the weapon modification feature.

All in all I found Tomb Raider to be pretty average, it got exciting in some places, but other than that it was fairly bland.

Nothing special.
  29. May 8, 2013
    This game is amazing. I love the lore around the island, as well as the story that is being told through flashbacks, Lara's observations, as well as the items you pick up all around the island. The combat is fluid, and I never feel like I am overwhelmed or frustrated with the controls. The control scheme on the mouse and keyboard is amazingly done and I never catch myself hunting for keysThis game is amazing. I love the lore around the island, as well as the story that is being told through flashbacks, Lara's observations, as well as the items you pick up all around the island. The combat is fluid, and I never feel like I am overwhelmed or frustrated with the controls. The control scheme on the mouse and keyboard is amazingly done and I never catch myself hunting for keys to press. The puzzles and challenges within levels, or areas of the map are well thought out and well done. Hats off to the developers for making a wonderful origin story for Lara Croft. Simply amazing, and I have compared it to a good book, I just can't put the game down. Expand
  30. May 8, 2013
    A lot of people are calling this a "linear, scripted, on-rails game". This is far from the truth, Tomb Raider is a great action game, and yes it does have it's linear moments, with QTE's every once in a while, BUT as an ADVENTURE game Tomb Raider gets it juuust right, yes, it's not completely open-world, however the locations in this game are quite large for a third-personA lot of people are calling this a "linear, scripted, on-rails game". This is far from the truth, Tomb Raider is a great action game, and yes it does have it's linear moments, with QTE's every once in a while, BUT as an ADVENTURE game Tomb Raider gets it juuust right, yes, it's not completely open-world, however the locations in this game are quite large for a third-person action/adventure, and they encourage exploration, for example: The extensively large map is divided into different locations and at one point in the game (I'm about 1/3 of the way through the game at the moment) a certain event occurs where pretty much half of a particular area opens up for you to explore places that weren't available previously, so you can choose to carry on with the adventure OR choose to explore a bit more and find interesting stuff like ancient journals or upgrades for your weapons. Then there's the length of the game, my oh my was I surprised when I was about 10 hours into it and I realized I was just barely getting towards the half-way point of the map. This game is worth every penny, whether you want an extensive action/adventure experience, or you just want something to keep you busy for about 10-12 hours, it's all about choice Expand
  31. May 8, 2013
    I immensely enjoyed this game. The environment of Yamatai Island is fantastic and memorable, a rather scary mix of ancient Japanese and hideous scrap metal graveyards. Gameplay, both combat and traversal is also pretty damn good.

Far me though, the real star of the game was indeed Lara. She does suffer from a bit of the narrative disconnect between her not wanting to kill and her killing LOTS of bad guys, but more importantly she was quite possibly the most relatable action protagonist I've played. She successfully walks the fine line between fear and courage, meaning that she puts plenty of emotion into her actions without coming off as being whiny or a crybaby. And towards the end, you do get a great sense of her becoming a real badass.

There are a few flaws as always though. I would have preferred there to be more challenging puzzles. And the supporting cast, well certainly not annoying at all, is not fairly interesting.

With all this in mind, Lara Craft is back. And she's more alive than ever.
  32. May 7, 2013
    One of, if not the best big title game I have played in the past two years. To start, the story, setting art quality and everything is absolutely astounding. The Pros: The graphics, The graphics are amazing and the game is well coded as the game run perfectly smooth under the right settings with 60+ FPS constantly. The sound effects and voice acting are really well done. I also loved theOne of, if not the best big title game I have played in the past two years. To start, the story, setting art quality and everything is absolutely astounding. The Pros: The graphics, The graphics are amazing and the game is well coded as the game run perfectly smooth under the right settings with 60+ FPS constantly. The sound effects and voice acting are really well done. I also loved the 3rd person shooting exspereince. The cover system, wall hugging, (Which work way better then most dedicated shooter games with this mechanic) including all the other animations really add to the obvious hard work that was put into this game. I mean, everything visually and the audio were all well done and really add to the immersion. The story is fantastic and I found myself looking in every corner to find all the artifacts to learn more. I also loved the slight RPG element of ranking up Lara's powers and tweaking out her weapons was a nice touch! I haven't had this much fun in a mostly single player game since Metro 2033 in 2010! I also loved how this game rewards exploring the island rather then other games that kinda steer you to powering through the level without any consideration for games details. Also unlike most games made these days that are so heavily flawed with bugs and glitches, this game had near to none and was extremely stable! During my 20 hours of game(Which is a lot of content and is totaly worth the price) I only have one game crash. I could go on and on, but to wrap this up; the reason this game did not get a 10 is as follow. Cons: What I did not like that was throughout the entire game was the abundance of ammo and the games overall difficulty. In a survival game I expected ammo to be scarce, particularly for fire arms. But, what I found was i was constantly full on ammo 90% of the time in the game. I found myself trying to waste ammo rather then hording it simple because there was so much laying around and on enemies. Also was the games difficulty, I started and played the game on HARD. The combat is pretty easy, unless you do something really stupid as run out in the open; you really can't die. The puzzles are really simple and easy to figure out, Tombs I expected were to be hard and dangerous mini-dungeons, but in reality each of the tombs were hardly deadly at all save maybe a few falls with no enemies guarding the treasures. So over all the game was actually pretty easy, also weapons are extremely accurate even at long ranges such as with the Bow or the Handgun. My last thing was the game did emphasize on exploration and you can explore A LOT of key land marks in the game, almost every prop was explorable, but at the same time you do have invisible walls. I was hoping for a more open world environment to explore rather then almost every level being set in some type of canyon, small basin, narrow passage or every environment where you constantly have walls on both sides or a bottomless canyon. Besides those things, this game is flawless and a must buy must play. You will not be disappointed! This game surely is fun and totally worth the price! Expand
  33. May 7, 2013
    Incredible. Possibly a game of the century. Lara Croft has proven herself what she can really do. The puzzles, dialog, gaming, entertainment, graphics-basically everything-of this game are unforgettable. This people have actually been so specific-if you listen closely, you can hear Lara's footsteps and the sound that they make on different floors,and the water dripping down on caves.Incredible. Possibly a game of the century. Lara Croft has proven herself what she can really do. The puzzles, dialog, gaming, entertainment, graphics-basically everything-of this game are unforgettable. This people have actually been so specific-if you listen closely, you can hear Lara's footsteps and the sound that they make on different floors,and the water dripping down on caves. Anyways.... You'll be really wise to get this game-even if it is for a day. Expand
  34. May 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really liked the storyline. When a character you lke dies (ex. Alex), I was going to cry. The controls aren't flexible than consoles, but it still makes you to play it. But some journals give you spoilers at the middle of the game. So, read the journals later! Expand
  35. May 6, 2013
    You guys are hating too much, this game is a very good action-adventure. I liked the story and pacing very much, most characters are interesting (though only Lara is truly revealed), action is good (though very easy), platforming is ok, cut-scenes are many but they fit well and I find cut scenes to be acceptable in action-adventure games. Game is fairly short (12-14hrs on hard with 92%You guys are hating too much, this game is a very good action-adventure. I liked the story and pacing very much, most characters are interesting (though only Lara is truly revealed), action is good (though very easy), platforming is ok, cut-scenes are many but they fit well and I find cut scenes to be acceptable in action-adventure games. Game is fairly short (12-14hrs on hard with 92% completion), platforming puzzles are short and simple, AI is mediocre and difficulty is low. This game is worth it for 50bucks but when it is on special it is a must buy (I got it 50% off!! Steam is awesome Best element of the game: surprisingly, it is the story. Very well told and presented and it is good Expand
  36. May 6, 2013
    WOW. I just finished it and I must say, this is one hell of a game. I loved the graphics, the action and on top of that it was very exciting. My only critic is that the levels are hard to navigate that is, if you want to come back and find all the pretties, which I'm probably not going to. Poor Lara takes more beating than ever before; I finally feel some sympathy for her!
  37. May 5, 2013
    This game is one of the most fun games i have bought this year. Its on my GOTY list with Bioshock Infinite and Dead Space 3 (Yes DS3, deal with it.) I never like Tomb Raider, but this reboot got it down just right. Its a great new twist on the series and i want to see a sequel. The only problems this game has is the the quicktime events ruin your experience sometimes. Youll be watching aThis game is one of the most fun games i have bought this year. Its on my GOTY list with Bioshock Infinite and Dead Space 3 (Yes DS3, deal with it.) I never like Tomb Raider, but this reboot got it down just right. Its a great new twist on the series and i want to see a sequel. The only problems this game has is the the quicktime events ruin your experience sometimes. Youll be watching a cutscene only for a the game to throw a "hit the e key" at you and make you die. On top of that, you have little time to react and if you hit the wrong one you die. It sometimes becomes a game of simon says as you try to remember the pattern of whats coming up next because youll die every time. Other than that its great game. Expand
  38. May 5, 2013
    this game is kinda good, so far. i've palyed like 1 hour so far and i would recomend it. would. there is 1 thing that is just retarded and just brakes any emersion the game might have. quick time events. i was playing just now and i was in a cave and was supposed to get out. there was only one way. but when i got there a wolf attacks you and you have to go trough a bunch of quick timethis game is kinda good, so far. i've palyed like 1 hour so far and i would recomend it. would. there is 1 thing that is just retarded and just brakes any emersion the game might have. quick time events. i was playing just now and i was in a cave and was supposed to get out. there was only one way. but when i got there a wolf attacks you and you have to go trough a bunch of quick time events and i failed at this like 10-15 times in a row. i didn't even know what i was doing wrong! but at the 16'th time playing the same cutsceen i noticed that i had to mash e and f not just e. what do quick time events add to the game? what does me having to watch the same cutsceen 15 times and mash my keyboard add to the game? how does it make it better? i would give this game a 8 or 9 but it gets a 6 now. please fix this bug that is quick time events square enix. please. it's like watching a movie but you have to watch certan parts over and over because you couldn't press a button quick egnofh. it ruines the game Expand
  39. May 5, 2013
    This game is absolutely a fantastic experience. For me the gameplay is second to the story in this one. The story and the way the game tells it really catches you as a player and engages you in the game. The gameplay itself plus the RPG elements are nice but just above average.
  40. May 4, 2013
    This game is absolutely amazing! This is a proper way to give a back-story to one of the most iconic characters of video industry. I guarantee you, that by the time you finish Tomb Raider, you will fall in love with Lara Croft (and if you are a gamer who actually remembers the first game, you will realize that you missed her). The graphics, and camera work are STUNNING! The key moments areThis game is absolutely amazing! This is a proper way to give a back-story to one of the most iconic characters of video industry. I guarantee you, that by the time you finish Tomb Raider, you will fall in love with Lara Croft (and if you are a gamer who actually remembers the first game, you will realize that you missed her). The graphics, and camera work are STUNNING! The key moments are ALWAYS presented in a jaw-dropping way. The combat feels great and natural, with just the right amount of toys to play with. The platform elements are a cool reminder, that this is still Tomb Raider, in its essence. I do not agree with some complains, that I've seen. I don't think the game is too easy. And too many cutscenes? They are not intrusive, and feel like a reward, not a nuisance. In fact, they make you feel like a hero. To sum up, TR franchise couldn't have asked for a better reboot, and I would place this entry on par with the first (and, in my memories, the best) game of the series. GOTY so far. Expand
  41. May 3, 2013
    I'm a long-time metacritic user and I appreciate the the service of aggregating game review so I know what is good to play. I registered for the site to complain about this game, or should I call it a movie. I'm 30 minutes into it and there are no choices for me to make or skills to develop. I'm clicking buttons to move this girl through the scene to see more quick time events. This is notI'm a long-time metacritic user and I appreciate the the service of aggregating game review so I know what is good to play. I registered for the site to complain about this game, or should I call it a movie. I'm 30 minutes into it and there are no choices for me to make or skills to develop. I'm clicking buttons to move this girl through the scene to see more quick time events. This is not a game. This is not fun. Expand
  42. May 3, 2013
    I had my fears they would f*** it up but it turned out far better than expected. The story is excellent, characters, upgrade system is good. I liked the collectibles a lot since they let me to learn more of the characters and game world. I just wish they put some real puzzles in the game.
  43. May 2, 2013
    Best adventure of the last years, even if the story is rushed and there is too much action for old fans of the series, the game manages to entertain, however the dlc-policy is a joke.
  44. May 2, 2013
    This game is awesome... I enjoyed too much!!!
    amazing adventure and story line!!
    Perfect!!
    Graphics awesome, Gameplay awesome, Storyline nice!!
    Lara Croft looks so hot!
  45. May 2, 2013
    One of the best single player games I've ever played. Stunning. Anyone giving it score 7 is just a hater and you shouldn't bother what they say. I've played a lot of high scored games recently: Far Cry 3, Dead Space 1 and 2, Alan Wake, Bioshock, Walking Dead, BF3 (campaign), Medal of Honor (campaign) and even some of them were really outstanding, Tomb Raider easily beats them.
  46. May 2, 2013
    It's highly recommended that you find all relics, hidden tombs and special challenge items before the last big fight, as it will make your character stronger! Definitely a great game, take your time with it.
  47. May 2, 2013
    Could have been a better game without the awful QTEs and the out-of-place regenerative health system. But the great plot, breath-taking scenarios, and the outstanding acting of Camilla Luddington can make this game worth your money.
  48. May 2, 2013
    just an amazing game. the story is great and you care for the characters. gameplay is nice as well, nothing special but its still very good. the cover system is really good as well. the game also has stunning visuals and great design. its one of the best looking game to date. you also have special equipment like an arrow with a rope and stuff like that. there are also skill trees which arejust an amazing game. the story is great and you care for the characters. gameplay is nice as well, nothing special but its still very good. the cover system is really good as well. the game also has stunning visuals and great design. its one of the best looking game to date. you also have special equipment like an arrow with a rope and stuff like that. there are also skill trees which are a nice edition. a really good thing about the game is that it has a lot of focus on exploring, not just shooting. this is an adventure game, and while it has a lot of shooting (the shooting mechanics are really good) this is an adventure game!!!!
    overall this is a great game you should definetly but!!!! its epic!!!!
  49. Apr 30, 2013
    I'm only a couple of hours in to the game, so I may need to revise this over time, but here goes.

This game...does have a lot to like. Great graphics, though those don't make or ruin a game really. They are however glitchy on nVidia 600 series cards look up the kaleidoscope bug. Story wise, it's relatively well done. You're shipwrecked and need to get off the island. You're in a tomb

Story wise, it's relatively well done. You're shipwrecked and need to get off the island. You're in a tomb raider game, so expect supernatural stuff to happen. No surprise, if you're OK with Indiana Jones, you're OK with this IMO.

Acting: well done. Lara's acting is the best, and she seems like a believable character. She never really is OK with killing, which is a nice element.

Redesign: Yeah, it's a new Lara, not as well endowed, but the difference is she is a believable character. Frankly, I like the new visual design they gave her. I like the fact we're seeing her kill for the first time, that she doesn't like it, that she struggles. That she's human.

Gameplay: Well, here it gets a little dicey. Is it fun? Sure. Platforming is a little simple (jump, you'll make it.) The bow and gun are fun I especially like the bow. Silent kills work (bow shot, or strangling.) You can try to play the game like hitman, if you so wish.

Movement is fine, except early on I would be going around thinking "there might be an enemy here, I should walk and not run" until I realized that the game would make me crouch if I needed to, walk slowly when someone was near. It removes the surprise from the game, it makes it TOO easy. One complaint though is that you're guided too much just when walking. Walking along a cliff that turns to the left? Don't worry about holding down the A key to go to the left, just hold W to walk forward, you follow the ledge automatically. Takes the fun out of the game.

Combat is alright, like I said before the gun and bow work. It's cover based though, so again it's simplified.

The AI is...stupid. They pop up to let you get a shot off quickly. The only challenge is timing how long you can hold an arrow taught on the bow.

Quick Time Events (QTEs) and cut scenes. Yeah. They're there. Sometimes I go into a cutscene and don't know it and am left thinking "no, Lara. To the left! LEFT! Oh, wait...I'm not in control right now." Sometimes I don't know when I'm meant to take over. On the QTEs, I had to replay a scene where a russian guy can't decide if he wants to rape or strangle you. (knee him, bite ear, shoot, mash f key, mash e key, he's dead.) They don't make it explicitly known what key to mash all the time, so I start mashing everything. It's awful. There aren't TOO many of these. So far.

All in all, I like the game so far. I can see myself replaying it. Will it make best of 2013 for me? No. But it's worth the money to me, I think. I like the redesign of Lara and the re-imagining. I hope Square keeps going, and learns from the mistakes in this game.
  50. Apr 30, 2013
    This game is awesome. I mean awesome. i love it. i play it all the time. it's a great and a little bit scary game. The weapons are little bit limited but it does not matter much. You will still have loads of fun playing it. Tomb Raider fans, Just buy it. Others give it a try 'cause i am sure you will like it. There are a lot of cutscenes though. But just try it.
  51. Apr 28, 2013
    Great platforming and action sequences and an ok story. Very polished game, pc version has some of the best graphics to date. Took a point off for some annoying overuse of quick time events and some awkward cutscenes of lara getting beaten up too frequently
  52. Apr 28, 2013
    The new mechanics are way better, the character is easier to control, the puzzles are better and yet it still feels like tomb raider.
    Its been a while since such a great change actually improved a game.
    The combat mechanics still aren't that great, but it will get there.
    Anyways, loved it.
  53. Apr 28, 2013
    Gorgeous world, great animations.
    + Good Character designing.
    + The story is a bit twisty, though not mind challenging at all.
    + Good little puzzles.
  54. Apr 28, 2013
    This is the best and most fun Tomb Raider game I've ever played.
    The controls with mouse and keyboard ae very well done, the graphics are awesome.
    This game is a MUST PLAY.
  55. Apr 27, 2013
    This game is so BLOODY GOOD
    SERIOUSLY GO BUY IT NOW YOU WILL HAVE A BLAST
  56. Apr 27, 2013
    The game was fantastic as it had amazing graphics and excellent combat choices. I think it deserves a higher score as I reckon it is definately a "game of the year" contender. My only complaint is how it copies a bit too much off Uncharted 3 when it comes to some things like the free running and parkour as she moves a lot like Nathan Drake. But the motion capture was also brilliant and IThe game was fantastic as it had amazing graphics and excellent combat choices. I think it deserves a higher score as I reckon it is definately a "game of the year" contender. My only complaint is how it copies a bit too much off Uncharted 3 when it comes to some things like the free running and parkour as she moves a lot like Nathan Drake. But the motion capture was also brilliant and I reckon some of the best in a game. A bit too much quick time evernts. Over all a great game. Expand
  57. Apr 27, 2013
    The new Tomb Raider is not just a normal game The new Tomb Raider is totally different than the other Tomb Raider´s in this Tomb Raider you will have a new achievements you will be able to upgrade your weapons you will meet new character´s you will be able to upgrade Lara´s skills in order to make Lara stronger.
    With the new On-line Mode you will have a new different modes including
    With the new On-line Mode you will have a new different modes including "Death Match" to compete with your friends, also on the On-line Mode you can improve the level of your character and also you can improve your own character!
    But is not on that! New down-loadable contents are available As we know the down-loadable help us improving the game. Like on this Tomb Raider you will be able to buy weapons maps and skills on the down-loadable content store of the game.
    Graphics are very improved? Yes it is The graphics on the new Tomb Raider are very improved than other computer games. With the AMD TRESS FX we can see the Lara´s hair totally moving That´s Fantastic. Many people don´t believe the TRESS FX is true but when I play and I tried TRESS FX I really see with my eyes Lara´s hair moving!
    I also read some comment of people that have difficulty on finishing the Single or History Mode the games is´n so difficult the game needs to have his own difficulty like on other games!

I recommend totally to buy this Game! If you´re a previous Tomb Raider fan this game will let you be more than a Tomb Raider fan!
  58. Apr 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An open world Uncharted. That alone is epic enough to make the game awesome. Excellent combat and excellent method of exploration where you can climb like in Uncharted, this game is especially a must buy for those who haven't play Uncharted yet because they don't have a PS3. One problem with the game though, the stupid cliches in this game is too much. Like you know the part in a movie where there's a guy trying to protect a girl from bandits by shooting at them and he ran out of bullets, and then this one guy attacks the guy's back and he's injured, only to take out a second pistol and shoot the guy? Yeah, pretty stupid. Most of the main casts in this game can still be alive if this stupid kind of cliche didn't happen, and the plot is pretty much predictable from the get go. Why is this person kidnapped you ask? Well there's 10+ journals in game that explains why, and yet Lara figures it out at the end of the game. Aside from the cliched plot though, the game itself is excellent. A must buy. Expand
  59. Apr 27, 2013
    Once you get over the initial burst of quick time events, Tomb Raider plays out to be a deep and immersive story driven game detailing Lara's first story. The game plays exceptionally well, and was a lot more enjoyable than I was expecting. The amount of time you spend in the game will depend heavily on whether you go searching through all of the optional secret tombs and pickup all of theOnce you get over the initial burst of quick time events, Tomb Raider plays out to be a deep and immersive story driven game detailing Lara's first story. The game plays exceptionally well, and was a lot more enjoyable than I was expecting. The amount of time you spend in the game will depend heavily on whether you go searching through all of the optional secret tombs and pickup all of the in-world collectables, but the story is well written and the characters feel fleshed out and relatable.

The visuals are incredible on a high end machine, while remaining good looking even on an older machine. This game is so atmospheric that you can get lost in it and feel like you're there.

It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but even if you haven't liked past instalments in the Tomb Raider franchise, this reboot is worthy of any gamer's time.
  60. Apr 26, 2013
    Simply wow. addictive and amazing! love Lara she is great a real human i felt for her! great island and exploring. Love the game play all of it i wish the DLC was more then just for multi-player which so totally sucks!
  61. Apr 26, 2013
    Easily the best game of 2013 so far.

also, if there was a archery game of the year decade, this game wins hands down. never in a game that i felt more interested to use my bow and arrows than guns.
  62. Apr 25, 2013
    Pros: 1) Combat animation & style. 2) Great graphics on PC 3) Really good stealth! 4) Story is satisfying, could have been better! 5) Interesting puzzles!
    Cons: 1) Storytelling is not great!
    Conclusion: Contender for Game Of The Year!
  63. Apr 25, 2013
    I loved this game! Great atmosphere because of amazing graphics, artistic design and music. The plot is ok, nothing spectacular, the best thing is Lara and how she changes through the story. Gameplay was a lot of fun and varied, with platforming, puzzles and action, plenty of upgrades that give a good sense of progression, only problem are the QTE, very annoying sometimes, but in myI loved this game! Great atmosphere because of amazing graphics, artistic design and music. The plot is ok, nothing spectacular, the best thing is Lara and how she changes through the story. Gameplay was a lot of fun and varied, with platforming, puzzles and action, plenty of upgrades that give a good sense of progression, only problem are the QTE, very annoying sometimes, but in my opinion it doesn't distract too much from the game. Overall I had a great time. Expand
  64. Apr 25, 2013
    Tomb Raider is by far one of the best games of this year because of this graphics, story, dramatic and intense moments and gameplay and characters.
    It has a lot of cutscenes but they are there to help the game do better and the con that is not that big is that there are a lot of quick-time events but they are infused well and you can notice when the cutscene ends and a quick-time event starts because of its great transition from one to another.
    Now to talk about multiplayer it seems like a pasted in not that good multiplayer because it does not do any thing new or interesting.
    Overall this game could have been a 10 if it wasn't for some things that draw it back and the multiplayer but still this might very well be one of the games of the year.
  65. Apr 25, 2013
    Yes, the graphics are amazing, voice acting is beyond perfect, the story is good, but not impressive. But why in the world its a "Survival" game when you find ammo literally everywhere, Lara pulls out weapons out of her ass, stealth in this game is none, enemy can see you through walls. Collectibles are another story: why does Lara need to light every Buddha statue when she sees it?!Yes, the graphics are amazing, voice acting is beyond perfect, the story is good, but not impressive. But why in the world its a "Survival" game when you find ammo literally everywhere, Lara pulls out weapons out of her ass, stealth in this game is none, enemy can see you through walls. Collectibles are another story: why does Lara need to light every Buddha statue when she sees it?! Doesn't that give away your position to enemies? Why does Lara pick up every artifact she can find? I mean, she is surviving not looking for treasure and where she puts them? Up her ass?! The ending was a little bit disappointing because every character mention a human being throughout the game, but do you get to fight it? NO! Of course not! You fight the same boss twice! TWICE! Overall the game is average. Expand
  66. Apr 24, 2013
    Easter Egg Hunt: Lara Croft Edition.

Easter Egg Hunt: Lara Croft Edition.

Its a good reboot of the series if they didn't put an Easter egg hunt in every single area of the game. I like doing extra stuff in games I really do. But when its one dimensional and adds nothing to the game its completely pointless, and in turn takes away from the actual game. I like to fully complete my games so when they put in something like this I try to do it. However.. by the end of the game I was so sick of finding useless stuff in each area that I didn't even want to complete the game. It started to feel like a chore.

If you ignore the Easter egg hunting and just play thru the game quickly it is actually pretty good. Without the mindless task of searching the environment for a bunch of useless stuff the game runs at a pretty decent pace, and the story and voice acting are not bad.

So to sum it all up. Tomb Raider isn't a bad game, but they bloated it up with a lot of useless game play in an effort to make the game seem longer than it really is, and in doing so they really took away from the speed of the game, and it really was not at all necessary. Without all the usless features in the game I probably would have rated it a 7.
  67. Apr 24, 2013
    I just finished playing the game, and having played through every game up until the recent installments I was really hoping that this reboot deviated from the worn down pattern of the old games. While they had their charms, especially the first two games, the games were now beyond repetition and consistently suffered from the usualy clunky controls and poor camera angles ("leap of faithI just finished playing the game, and having played through every game up until the recent installments I was really hoping that this reboot deviated from the worn down pattern of the old games. While they had their charms, especially the first two games, the games were now beyond repetition and consistently suffered from the usualy clunky controls and poor camera angles ("leap of faith jumps" anyone).
    The reboot delivered!, and I found myself quite immersed in the game, especially near the end. The gameplay is one of the better ones i've played in a while, and the very few times i missed a jump was probably my own fault. Lara's movement looks natural as she gracefully navigates her surroundings. And the game had some pretty epic setpieces. Having a reasonable computer i was able to play this game on the maximum settings (though nvidia cards still suffer from the tessalation bug), and the visuals were simply stunning (especially compared to the console versions), though some color pallettes are a little questionable, especially the shantytown looked a little murky (i've got a E-IPS panel, it's not me). The TressFX feature is also a nice touch, though this is only a option if you’ve got a decent graphics card. (Make sure you update your drivers if you’ve got a Nvidia card). Bottomline, it should be said that allot of time went into these visuals, and the Eidos/Square Enix gets some kudo’s for that.
    Replayability is good, meaning i will definitely pick it up again after a while. Reason being that the game gives you the option to continue the game to hunt for the collectables after the end. So for the completionists, there is no immediate reason to replay the game again shortly after, you can just continue.
    Besides the story there is enough for you to do, though this ultimately comes down to mostly collectables. There are also allot of Secret Tombs for you to discover, though these seem a tad bit underdeveloped. Having been used to the huge dungeons in Skyrim, i found myself scratching my head when I was done in about 5 minutes sometimes. These had allot more potential as it was really exhilarating when you entered them with only your flaming torch, not knowing what was in there.
    The story is no shakespear, but it presents itself well enough for you to care long enough. The only real issue with the story is the somewhat predictable characters, that sometimes display slasher-movie type stupidity (“Let’s split up!”). I've also got to mention that i do not share the statements that there are huge plotholes, everything can be explained with some common sense, and most of it is also explained in the books/documents scattered arround the island. I think it all comes down how well you're able to immerse yourself. Also there are people mentioning the disconnection between Lara’s story and the gameplay. She seems to quickly go from defenseless girl to badass. It is explained she is not new to this, but just never put it into actual practice (traning with Roth). Though i do agree it is borderline believeable.
    Bottomline, I’m glad Eidos/Square decided to reboot this series. The series didn’t age well, and it was ultimately a gamble for the studios investing allot in this game. I think they did an excellent job and i feel i got my moneys worth. I’m also glad a forgotten icon of gaming history finaly has some of her shine back. I'm anxious to see where the serie goes from here.

I really hope though, that they keep the emphasis on single player next installment. Who really needs a Tomb Raider multiplayer.. it felt tacked on.
  68. Apr 24, 2013
    Best Tomb raider by far ,not the same puzzle elements as before..... so some hard core fans may miss that but there are puzzles when the temple's are found,but the action is great a lot like Uncharted.
  69. Apr 23, 2013
    Jesus, I even registered here to write something 'bout this game... Regarding all the Cut-Scene-Quick-Time-Event comments: I play at PC and I hate those console-thingys were you have to manage 25 buttons with 4 variations to go through the game. Tomb Raider is always fair and uses Bullet-Time to give you the chance to accomplish great things, resulting in a huge 'hoaaahh'-Feeling. AndJesus, I even registered here to write something 'bout this game... Regarding all the Cut-Scene-Quick-Time-Event comments: I play at PC and I hate those console-thingys were you have to manage 25 buttons with 4 variations to go through the game. Tomb Raider is always fair and uses Bullet-Time to give you the chance to accomplish great things, resulting in a huge 'hoaaahh'-Feeling. And that's what a good game does (like Mass Effect, Half Life 2). Looking through my list of 100+ games on Steam so far, I can't recall a game where I invested more effort in a short time to play it through and find every bit of a puzzle.
    To sum it up well where shall I begin? The Story? The Gameplay? The Riddles? The Action-Sequences? Maybe the In-Game Cutscenes???? They are just all phenomenal!!!
    Damn it, I've never been a Tomb Raider Fan. Now I am.
    Give! Me!! MOAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRR!!!!
  70. Apr 22, 2013
    One of the better story driven games I have played. I went into it not expecting much, but was instantly glued to my PC and couldn't stop until it was finished. Amazing graphics sound and story. Disappointed with Lara's development though, before you know it she will be mowing down waves of enemies, which doesn't fit her character at all. Definitely one of the best games so far thisOne of the better story driven games I have played. I went into it not expecting much, but was instantly glued to my PC and couldn't stop until it was finished. Amazing graphics sound and story. Disappointed with Lara's development though, before you know it she will be mowing down waves of enemies, which doesn't fit her character at all. Definitely one of the best games so far this year, recommend it highly, even over Bioshock. Expand
  71. Apr 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I personally gave this game an 8.6 out of 10 (rounds up to 9) because it was extremely well done and reboots the series in an incredibly entertaining and refreshing way. The Lara Croft we are given in this game is not the same raider of tombs from the mid 90s that we knew and loved she is an inexperienced and younger version who has never ventured into a tomb and this is her first journey. By the end she becomes the Lara Croft that we know and love from the 90s but in an updated and pretty epic way. The very last moment of combat even pays homage to the dual pistol wielding protagonist we remember from our first adventure so long ago. I wish there were bears, I wish there were bats, I love that there are wolves but I definitely wish there were more throwback moments than there are, if only to satisfy the fans of the original series who took the time to play this version.

The music is fitting for the time you hear it but isn't very memorable afterwards. The voice acting, especially for Lara is extremely well done, which is something I am very glad to finally be saying about more and more games these days. The combat is very well done when it allows you to do your thing but when quick time events are necessary to defeat particular enemies it gets a bit annoying and some of those events are slightly bugged so it sometimes takes a few tries which only adds to the annoyance factor. Sadly the game is very easy (even on hard difficulty), puzzles are not complex or in depth, you can easily get all upgrades, the game pretty much holds your hand the entire way but that ultimately detracts very little from a game that does a beautiful job of rebooting a series that many including myself feared might be dead after being run into the ground by so many terrible sequels.

The characters other than Lara are unfortunately not very well developed throughout the game, with the exception of your main enemy. Through the journals you pick up over the course of the game you learn bits of information that you would not otherwise know even from Lara's friends/companions. However the only journals that shed any light on much of anything are those from your enemy, and there are a few others that have nothing to do with your group that add to the overall story of the game in a very interesting way. The reason I did not lower my score much for this is because her friends really do not matter in the long run. They are amusing at times but the majority of the narrative takes place without them and Lara is really the only character we are meant to care about.

The island is beautifully crafted and I have not seen any version that does the game justice that is not on a PC with the graphics completely juiced. There are moments that I caught myself just running around and looking at the environments and smiling because they looked absolutely gorgeous on my PC. Even the particularly gruesome deaths that you cause look rather traumatizing at some points and they should as shooting people in the face with an arrow is not a pretty thing.

One of the defining moments in the game is Lara's first kill and this is cut a bit short mostly because the game does not have several hours to let you recover from this but it still feels important and it should as the character will never be the same again. After this she slowly turns into the female version of Nathan Drake, which is kind of funny because Nathan Drake was highly influenced by the original Lara Croft but that link has no negative impact on the game as Uncharted is a great series itself and not taking that into account would have been a mistake that I am glad was not made. By the end her transition is very satisfying and very enjoyable to experience. While there are likely no life altering moments about this game that make anybody want to run out and become a game developer it is an extremely well crafted game that any fan of the original series should play as it reboots the entire thing in such a refreshing way that there will almost definitely be sequels to look forward to in the near future.
  72. Apr 22, 2013
    Tomb Raider [2013] is an interactive visual novel about a girl with gravity defying hair who ends up stranded on an island in the South Pacific after an accident. During her quest to survive she will be injured one way or another about every 5 minutes or even killed if she does not correctly executes a quick time event.
  73. Apr 22, 2013
    Thoroughly enjoyable romp, with some jaw-dropping settings, atmosphere and perilous Croft-action. Lacks some of the puzzles and and feeling of totally getting lost that used to be part of the staple for the original three games, so there's a distinct lack of a mechanical challenge for the player. The story is also rather standard fare, and that's why I'm giving this reboot an 8 out of 10.Thoroughly enjoyable romp, with some jaw-dropping settings, atmosphere and perilous Croft-action. Lacks some of the puzzles and and feeling of totally getting lost that used to be part of the staple for the original three games, so there's a distinct lack of a mechanical challenge for the player. The story is also rather standard fare, and that's why I'm giving this reboot an 8 out of 10. I cannot fault the game, however for its ambition and detail with the level-design. Combat was solid enough and upgrades to Lara's weapons and tools were a cool feature. Let's have a bigger and badder sequel soon please! Expand
  74. Apr 21, 2013
    Tomb Raider is a superb action adventure! I never expected to be this impressed by it but it is a very well made and balanced 3rd person action title. I really think i prefer this to Uncharted as well it has a more serious and dramatic tone to it. The atmosphere the game creates really sucks you in and leaves you in awe at every cut scene especially on PC. Well worth everyone's money.
  75. Apr 21, 2013
    I came here to give Tomb Raider 2013 a score of 10. I've done this. Tomb Raider has great voice acting, great graphics, great environments, great story, great characters, great multiplayer. great gameplay. I've been playing games all my life. I know games. Trust me. Buy this. You will not regret it.
  76. Apr 20, 2013
    Best tomb raider ever AND best game of 2013. The story is amazing the new lara is amazing the graphics is amazing and the gameplay is FLAWLESS the multyplayer is not as good as the single player however i've seen worst multyplayer.
  77. Apr 20, 2013
    This is how you reboot a game, it's really a 8 to 9 but I wanted to balance out all the idiots who gave it a 4 or less due to bad reasons. The quick time events are fine because it was the only way for me to actually feel surprised when I have to press something out of no where. None of them are even hard, you have like two different buttons to watch out for and sometimes you have toThis is how you reboot a game, it's really a 8 to 9 but I wanted to balance out all the idiots who gave it a 4 or less due to bad reasons. The quick time events are fine because it was the only way for me to actually feel surprised when I have to press something out of no where. None of them are even hard, you have like two different buttons to watch out for and sometimes you have to press left and right. If you get caught off guard, the death scenes are very well done. How can anybody say there's not enough exploration? You have the (keyword)choice of exploring an entire island and there's a ton of things to explore. I like the assassin creed like instinct thing, I guess some people enjoy mentally keeping track of where they are in the world but I prefer to not have to look at the map all the time. This does make the puzzles super easy though, I didn't google a single solution, they were all very straight forward and sometimes Laura will even blurt out a hint. The story definitely starts out pretty strong, but it gets pretty predictable towards the end. I was never sure if they were going to go with a scientific explanation or magic until about half way through. The game is a bit on the too easy side, the only time I died was from surprising quicktime events and the huge fire fights at the end. However, it's definitely fun, it's one of the few games in the recent years where I had to finish it. Expand
  78. Apr 20, 2013
    This was one of those cases when the game play got in the way of the story; and broke my immersion in a definite way. Cut-scene Lara was a scared, inexperienced, beautiful young woman; game-play Lara was a raging murdering psychopath with no remorse, perfect aim and adamantium bones, mowing through hundreds of beings in an efficiency rivalling trained SEALs. It's a great game, wellThis was one of those cases when the game play got in the way of the story; and broke my immersion in a definite way. Cut-scene Lara was a scared, inexperienced, beautiful young woman; game-play Lara was a raging murdering psychopath with no remorse, perfect aim and adamantium bones, mowing through hundreds of beings in an efficiency rivalling trained SEALs. It's a great game, well developed, AMAZINGLY acted and fun to play, but a missed opportunity in my opinion. I think a 7 out of 10 does it justice....oh...almost forgot: no end boss battle???? really???? WTF? Expand
  79. Apr 19, 2013
    There is only one word that could approximate a definition for this game: "Masterpiece".

I'm an old TR fan to let it understand to the few people who can understand it around the world, there are not many ones who can say "in Tomb Raider II I entered THAT door", well, I'm one of them. I was waiting for a game like this since.... Well, back to the review, this game is 100% well balanced, to point out few things I would improve: 1) the level design is "nearly perfect", only I'm missing a little the "how the F... I can reach that spot feeling, I hope that in a sequel this could be addressed cause the platforming is however rewarding as never but I feel that a bit more challenge could add to the experience. 2) Lara is responding in a perfect way, in the game you really feel you ARE Lara Croft and not just driving a mannequin, this boost that already spoken "I want more" from the (outstanding) environment. 3) the very well implemented RPG options could be implemented better, the first two survival skills for example, if I'm not missing something are pretty nearly useless throughout the game, adding more vicious animals to defend from and the need to feed yourself to keep health regenerating could have given a meaning to those. 4) When you have the right equipment there is too few backtracking that could be done in order to discover more, there are no reasons to explore again an already 100%ed sector except to gain some experience from enemies, a couple of "ok now I have this, let see if I can access that spot" per sector could have been an HUGE booster for the overall experience. 5) The upgrade system is well crafted and enough satisfying but hiding the upgrades in the menu could give that feeling of "what now that is thrown away from the complete visible list. 6) The above also works for collectibles, I hate games in which you knows in advance what you will find in them, this applies even to this beautiful game, knowing in advance how many collectibles I have to find is one of the worst part of this title, an "I feel like I'm still missing something in this area" would be a much more effective way to manage the whole thing, as well as get rid of percentage counters, as well as giving a more puzzle meaning to collectibles while being able to see them as you find them not in advance. 7) Tombs, those are very well crafted but really feels too short for a true TR lover, I'm expecting to see more of them and more complex along with some well crafted underwater mess on the sequel. 8) Secondary bosses: it could be nice to hear Lara commenting on her equipment and physically see the parts of it as well as seeing Lara assembling those parts ...and having secondary bosses to fight experimenting on them the new acquired firepower while tasting the new discovered within herself passion for raiding tombs. 9) the story: it's really well crafted but could be balanced better, at an emotional level the story requires you to keep going while the gameplay requires you to explore, well, it is balanced but it could be more, from a gameplay perspective everything that's "hurry on" is out of place in a TR game, also the acting is top notch but could have been polished aligning it with the above point of view. 9) Enemies: sometimes it's like I'm facing the old chapters enemies, well the AI is not that bad but sometimes is not polished as it should be resulting in too few options at your enemies to choose from making the mass-murder them a bit too easy while sometimes they can spot you too realistically when you don't have any chance to spot them making impossible to sneak past or avoid or stealth kill someone that even knowing you are somewhere on the island shouldn't know you are "right there". 10) Indicators: I think that a lens could suffice to point out the presence of something, no need to show the button everytime, it slightly detract to immersion.

However the above are only my suggestions in case of an unlikely reading of my review by someone from Crystal Dynamics that, however, does not detract a bit to the gorgeousness of the game, the game is already 99,99%, the above only could boost it at 100% and a sequel to 200%

Despite the above this game is a helluva BLAST that's worth every penny, a "back to those days" for TR fans and a good point to start from for those who are not...yet..

Thanks SquareEnix, thanks Crystal Dynamics, playing it I can feel all the efforts you made to make not only a generic masterpiece but a Tomb Raider masterpiece, I'm one of the biggest fan of TR on planet Earth and you made me proud again of being, I sincerely hope it could have the success it deserves as well as seeing sequels of the same quality in which I will be able to hear the "Oh-hh!" turn in the well known "Ah-haa!", if you knows what I mean.. :)

This stuff was for SQUEX and CD, to everyone else all I can say is that this game is truly one of the best games ever made, it looks gorgeous, it sounds great, it plays amazingly.
  80. Apr 18, 2013
    For the first 5 hours of game-play, you will come to love Lara Croft and her journey to being an official bad ass, Being ruthless and aggressive, Being stealthy. At this point, I was ready to give the game a 8-9 even 10 Score, That's how much I was falling in love with this title, The random Tombs hidden around, The great graphics, the very well scripted events. But then, about 5 hours in,For the first 5 hours of game-play, you will come to love Lara Croft and her journey to being an official bad ass, Being ruthless and aggressive, Being stealthy. At this point, I was ready to give the game a 8-9 even 10 Score, That's how much I was falling in love with this title, The random Tombs hidden around, The great graphics, the very well scripted events. But then, about 5 hours in, Lara Croft Turns into your average Dull shooter, It's difficult to explain why, but I think I know. First, The gun physics aren't great, but I can excuse that because I like to go into all the situations stealthy, which brings me onto my second point, At about 5 hours in, the game stops giving you the option to use stealth, You are FORCED! into Shooter situations which then, turns the game into a dull 3rd person shooter with a bad cover mechanic, So lets treat it like a shooter then, Well it has a bad recoil system that doesn't make much sense, seems like Lara is always firing from the hip and can't actually AIM a gun, the spread system is the same, just like firing from the hip bullets fly off in random directions meaning you need to use the rifles in a semi auto style, but that's difficult considering there's no firing mode options, The gun models aren't great either they look all washed out and fake, The upgrades system is very sub par. Now this takes me to my third point, You cannot go into and out-of stealth, the game decides whether you use stealth or not, and it's not like Splinter cell, Deus ex, Far Cry and Crysis, where the play can run and hide from the enemies giving them a chance to sneak up again, Nope, as soon as your detected, The AI knows where you are like they have some magical Laradar, You cannot hide after being detected, which ruins the entire stealth mechanic. Now my fourth point is about a common thing in gaming these days, Lara croft is plagued with the Button presses in uncontrollable action cutscenes(Known as quick time events) I personally think if these were more dynamic and would let user control effect the outcome, It would be better, as you would feel more in control of what your actually doing in a "VIDEO GAME" which costed you £40.

BUT The game excels well in the "TOMB RAIDING" part of this game, Sadly there are far too little tombs and puzzles, some of them are too easy to solve, there is almost no challenge compared to the old Lara Croft/PoP/TLOZ games.

So what are you left with? Your left with a dull third person shooter with poor shooting mechanics. A broken stealth system that has more quick time events than gameplay, An interesting story with a weak ending and finally a pretty puzzling mechanic which looks fantastic but is too easy and unsatisfying.

I had high hopes for this game, It has it's good points, But they are overshadowed by the games crippling problems.

If your interested in the story your better off watching a play through, if you want a proper jump puzzler, Go for Prince Of Persia: The forgotten sands, If you want a proper stealth-shooter game, get Far Cry 3.
  81. Apr 16, 2013
    I didn't expect much to be honest, with the quick time events and the awkward story. But it surprised me in every way. The quick time events just fitted perfect, even when it was in-combat events. The story was interesting and made you carry on for hours just to complete the whole story.
  82. Apr 13, 2013
    Being a big fan of original Tomb Raider and Tomb Raider Anniversary this game is just OK. Tomb Raider 2013 being a typical console port actually doesn't ruin the game that much. Nice graphics and semi generic game play with some elements of cute story telling makes this a decent game. I have to admit that some parts of game play were pretty cool. However, this is just another genericBeing a big fan of original Tomb Raider and Tomb Raider Anniversary this game is just OK. Tomb Raider 2013 being a typical console port actually doesn't ruin the game that much. Nice graphics and semi generic game play with some elements of cute story telling makes this a decent game. I have to admit that some parts of game play were pretty cool. However, this is just another generic shooter in which you kill literally hundreds of enemies which keep spawning and running at you. If you like puzzles and shooting this game is for you. Overall worth playing. Expand
  83. Apr 12, 2013
    This game exceeded my expectations! From the story to the gameplay (which reinforces the story), I was (or am, as I have not finished the game yet, but close!) captured into the journey and the struggle that is Lara's plight.

This game really took me back to TR 1, 2, and 3, which I loved so much, but it is definitely its own game and no real comparison can be made between old and new.

STORY

The story is really "survival", first her own, then everyone elses'. The quicktime elements forces me to make snap movements/judgements, it forces me to be on edge, it forces me to wonder "what's around the corner", and that is exactly what Lara is feeling. These quicktime elements do an excellent job of connecting the gamer to the character.

Of course, Lara is pleasantly fleshed out a s a character, but no one else is as she spends 99% of her time alone. So when people die, the gamer doesn't care. Its hard to make the gamer care when there isn't a chance to get to know the other characters, so I am not sure what the developer could have done to assist. They tried leaving books around, and some video, but that wasn't enough to connect. Perhaps if we got to play Lara before the crash.

GAMEPLAY

Lara is motivated to survive, and this is believable. There are no strange quests that have you bringing something useless to someone else, its all just centered around getting things done to live. Which makes sense.

Gaining experience and having loot/salvage is also useful, so looking for boxes/items is valuable and also believable.

The controls for the PC were easy to learn and I had no issues with my keys.

Lara's clothes actually deteriorate though the game, which actually makes sense since she's battered ALL the time. I like that she's wearing full pants and two tanks, rather than short-shorts.

TOMBS

This is where I have my biggest beef. Its hard not to compare to previous games, it really is hard and as I said in the beginning, one should NOT make the comparison.. but the thing is called Tomb Raider, so.. here goes:

The tomb puzzles are not puzzles. They are really easy "walkthroughs". Like.. lame easy. flick a switch and you've discovered the solution.

I'm not sure what happened here. Did the developer think we (the audience) were 10 years old? or that we thought like them? Not sure. The tombs are almost useless (if it wasn't for the experience and the salvage). I'm only going through them now to confirm that they are all indeed that easy.

Oddly enough, the hardest one I encountered was at the beginning with the plane.

VOICE ACTING

I think Lara Croft's VA did a great job in conveying pain, sadness and anger through the many different avenues that Lara communicates with the world.

UPGRADING SKILLZ

I wanted more from this, since I reached a point in the game that adding a skill didn't do much for Lara; though updating weapons did.

CONCLUSION

What surprised me about the game was the believable survival aspect of the game and how the gameplay reinforced that story, along with Lara's journey from innocent to survivor.

I enjoyed the stealth side as well as the direct attack sequences, and I think I may always remember ziplining through the beautiful backdrops of the game.
  84. Apr 12, 2013
    It's like combining Uncharted with Batman Arkham Asylum. It has a similar cinematic feel such as Uncharted with platforming, 3rd person shooting, and a few puzzles to solve. The world is not quite open world like Far Cry 3 but it's more like Arkham Asylum, in which you move down a linear path but you'll end up revisiting a few areas and you'll have new gadgets/abilities to allow you toIt's like combining Uncharted with Batman Arkham Asylum. It has a similar cinematic feel such as Uncharted with platforming, 3rd person shooting, and a few puzzles to solve. The world is not quite open world like Far Cry 3 but it's more like Arkham Asylum, in which you move down a linear path but you'll end up revisiting a few areas and you'll have new gadgets/abilities to allow you to open up new paths. There's a lot to explore. Graphics look great. The TressFX hair is technically impressive but I turned it off because it would drop the frame rate a bit. The story was really predicatable. Overall, it was a good experience. I recommend using a controller to play this game because there are a lot of QTEs and it wont tell you which keys to press if you use keyboard. Expand
  85. Apr 12, 2013
    Tomb Raider (2013)

Seems to me like a game that i won't really spend my money on its next title, hopefully. This game has absurd QTEs and buggy and glitchy platform parkours. Not to mention the unrealistic amount of times that there is a NDE (Near Death) in the story-line. Absolutely not worth the full price. Also the frequent frame drops with my 7970 makes me wonder if this is the
    Tomb Raider (2013)

Also the frequent frame drops with my 7970 makes me wonder if this is the standard game's coding and engine. Quite disappointing from Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics.
    Finishing the game for me is such a pain in the neck.
    The brighter side of the game is its retail version, it already gives the player 9/18 DLCs, not something you would see very often.
    Got it for S$52.90, did not really regretted or enjoyed.

86. Apr 11, 2013
    The Game gives Everything you could want from an archeological adventure game. The Story was nice. The Gameplay and it is also graphically stunning... The ending was a bit weak but still it is worth the journey.... Great job Crystal dynamics Go on making good games..
  87. Apr 11, 2013
    Tomb Raider was actually very enjoyable. The QTE's are well made and didn't afflict greatly the general feel. Awesome job with the graphics and animations.
    These little things such as Lara placing her hand on the mountain rock when she is near cliff to keep balance, or protecting herself from fire and wind really had me amazed. The sound was just supplementary, nothing special. The plot was nothing special but still it didn't draw back from my enjoyment.
    The only aspect where I had problem with was the difficulty of the game. It's way too easy and the optional tombs have ridiculous riddles. Also the destruction of the environment at a time convenient to the plot had me 'meh' a little.
    Overall though I enjoyed the game. It's so well made it would not be fair to rate it lower. Recommended
  88. Apr 9, 2013
    Semplicemente fantastico, coinvolgente, non mi sarei mai aspettato un ritorno a questi livelli, se penso al primo mi vengono i brividi...il rapporto qualità prezzo più che giustificato.
  89. Apr 9, 2013
    Im gonna go ahead and start by saying that i agree that the tombs in this game are to easy and i would have loved to see more difficult ones in this game, add some more challenge. That being said, this origin story for Lara and all the obstacles she has to over come is just amazing! visuals are great, especially if you have the hair effect on (adds some more flare), the dialogue isIm gonna go ahead and start by saying that i agree that the tombs in this game are to easy and i would have loved to see more difficult ones in this game, add some more challenge. That being said, this origin story for Lara and all the obstacles she has to over come is just amazing! visuals are great, especially if you have the hair effect on (adds some more flare), the dialogue is outstanding, some amazing action moments to break up some of the stealth (if thats the way you go) of the game, and this story is easily one of the best i have seen this year so far.Only reason i wont say a 10 is just cause of the tombs and i haven't tried the mulitplayer out yet. But i hope that this leads to more Tomb Raider games, hopefully with challenging tombs Expand
  90. Apr 8, 2013
    It is rare that a game will come up and take my breath away and even more rare that it will hold it for so long. Tomb Raider is one of those rare games that accomplishes both. I'd like to start off by saying I'm no fan of the Tomb Raider series. I was always ambivalent to the series. I have never played one all the way through and never found any of them all that compelling that isIt is rare that a game will come up and take my breath away and even more rare that it will hold it for so long. Tomb Raider is one of those rare games that accomplishes both. I'd like to start off by saying I'm no fan of the Tomb Raider series. I was always ambivalent to the series. I have never played one all the way through and never found any of them all that compelling that is until now.

It is rare that I come across a game with such a well-written story and such rich character development. Square Enix really outdid themselves this time. I have always been a huge fan of video games in general, but always wished they would focus more on good writing and character development something sorely lacking in a vast majority of games today. This game really came through in this department, and I feel I really understand the character of Lara Croft so much better now. It has drawn me into the mythos that I was so disinterested in before. I certainly cannot wait for future titles, and hope this game ends up where it belongs holding a place in history as one of the better examples of great story, writing, and character development in video games and perhaps even sparks a renaissance of good writing that this industry so badly needs.

As far as gameplay, graphics, sound, and all the other aspects of what makes a game good or great Tomb Raider really hits the mark on each of these. The exceptional combination of each of these aspects of the game only help to support the real thrill here and that's being along for the ride of this great adventure with Lara and her crew. It really feels like I'm playing a movie but almost never do I feel like I'm doing so on rails. I feel in constant control, and always in a manner where my decisions decide the fate of Lara and her crew members. This is what a game should be. Highly Recommended!
  91. Apr 8, 2013
    Great third person shooting and exploration. Quite brutal fatalities, this game is really gory and bloody. Decent Indiana Jones-esque story. Main character undergoes an arc. Starts out as a vulnerable everyday girl who nearly gets raped. Becomes a hardened survivor and merciless killer. If you're looking for a tough female protagonist who can really take a beating, look no further.
    Game
    Game is easy, so set it to Hard difficulty. Be warned, QTEs abound. You can "fast travel" back to most areas to fully explore them, but the lack of enemies makes it kinda boring. This should have a chapter select or at least manual saving.
  92. Apr 8, 2013
    While there do seem to be more cut-scenes and QTE's in the new Tomb Raider than what I was used to from the previous series, they compliment this modern version. Environments are linear at times, but beautiful and fluid. The pace is up to you for the most part, and there are plenty of in-game challenges with incentive to complete them though they're not as challenging as they were in theWhile there do seem to be more cut-scenes and QTE's in the new Tomb Raider than what I was used to from the previous series, they compliment this modern version. Environments are linear at times, but beautiful and fluid. The pace is up to you for the most part, and there are plenty of in-game challenges with incentive to complete them though they're not as challenging as they were in the old Tomb Raider. They completely did away with the drawn-out arbitrary puzzles (finding batteries on far corners of the map just to open a door which allows you to drop a crane allowing you to find a key, etc), but there are themed optional tombs that teach you (if you decide to complete them) various ways to use the environment, while presenting some interesting but isolated challenges. The new Tomb Raider is a little simpler and a little easier, but polished. They made sure that Tomb Raider was still an experience, while, for better or for worse, removing some of the user's responsibility. Because it isn't a grueling challenge to beat, the ending doesn't feel as satisfying as you'd hope, but it leaves the door open for a continuation of the series which I am sure will offer new challenges. In this way, the franchise can move forward without getting boring. I'm looking forward to the next installment. Expand
  93. Apr 8, 2013
    After quite a number of lacklustre entries in the series, none of which really got the controls down correctly, this one, for me, just nails it completely, with excellent controls, fluid movement, a strong sense of danger, awesome set pieces and a generally coherent story that stays focused throughout the entire experience, staying (mostly) true to it's new tone, with a mild case ofAfter quite a number of lacklustre entries in the series, none of which really got the controls down correctly, this one, for me, just nails it completely, with excellent controls, fluid movement, a strong sense of danger, awesome set pieces and a generally coherent story that stays focused throughout the entire experience, staying (mostly) true to it's new tone, with a mild case of Terminatoritis setting in later on, but the game never letting the mythology bog down the proceedings, while also not being paper-thin and directionless either. Level design is strong, and interactions with the levels are generally glitch free, falls to your death will be at your own making, rather than Fudgey Fingers Syndrome. The downside, some of the companions are a bit underwritten, they could have maybe used some additional development, one obvious "turncoat" in the bunch, but nothing that really distracts. It's like getting a birthday cake and somebody accidentally bent one of the candles slightly out of place. Unfortunate, but the cake still tastes great.

The multiplayer is weak sauce though, standard deathmatch fare, but not necessary either. In the aforementioned cake analogy, this cake came with a complimentary sachet of ketchup. Inappropriate, but easily discarded. There are other, much more robust, multiplayer experiences out there, that it's half-hearted inclusion here I suspect boils down to either a poor marketing decision to tick a bullet point, or round 1 of multiplayer practice for the technical team for something more ambitious to come later. With the DLC bizarrely choosing to focus on the multiplayer only, I suspect the latter to be closer to the truth. Co-op multiplayer on the other hand, was a sorely missed opportunity here, the game practically begging for it, with two distinct characters. In the absence of the other player, then either AI controlled and/or player hot-swappable between characters. See: Mass Effect, Portal 2, Splinter Cell Conviction, any Lego game. Maybe in version 2.0.

Technically, it's a very strong package. Beautiful vistas, great camera direction, massive draw distance, great effects mostly, reasonable AI. Couple of dodgy fire animations here n there when Lara is literally up to her neck in it, but an otherwise stellar effort visually. The only really negative technical point was that on first playthrough, the game was really unstable, crashing regularly, but a quick Google on this issue, and subsequent disabling of the Tesselation feature in the graphics options sorted that. Clearly a misstep in the QA process there, between Square, Crystal Dynamics and NVidia.
  94. Apr 7, 2013
    Excellent game, non stop action from start to finish and very finely tuned, highly recommended. It follows in the same vein as Uncharted, but with the ability to revisit previous areas to find all the collectibles sort of like Metroid or the Batman: Arkham games.
  95. Apr 7, 2013
    I believe this game has some major problems. First things first: this is not a Tomb Raider game. Not just because this is a reboot. That would be fine. Problem is, this game has a completely different idea behind it. The previous games were about exploration, a sense of danger and wonder, and they played it straight: Lara was a female Indiana Jones able to walk in and out of every sort ofI believe this game has some major problems. First things first: this is not a Tomb Raider game. Not just because this is a reboot. That would be fine. Problem is, this game has a completely different idea behind it. The previous games were about exploration, a sense of danger and wonder, and they played it straight: Lara was a female Indiana Jones able to walk in and out of every sort of adventure, and you got the sense that she, in fact, did that every day. The necessary tension to keep the game interesting came from the gameplay: limited life, limited ammo, scarce ammunition for most weapons. The puzzles were interesting and challenging, set in beautiful environments.
    Some of these elements kind of survive in this reboot, some do not. The puzzles are absolutely, boringly easy, and you also get an "highlight the objects I need" function, just in case. Some environments are still noteworthy, but as good as the graphics may be they fail to reach the same charisma of games like "the last revelation" or the recent remake of the original, and not even the platform elements remain intact. The "tombs" look like they were thrown in at the last moment just to be consistent with the name, and they usually contain one room with a single easy puzzle and a box. That's it. Now, I remember those challenging times when I did a few too many mistakes and kept going on, only to find myself with 1/4 of my life and 0 medkits in the old games. And getting past those moments was a rewarding experience. Now there is ammo everywhere and life regenerates (STOP TAKING THE GAME OUT OF MY GAMES). While the previous games created tension trough gameplay, this game tries to create tension mostly trough narrative. This is another mistake, as games are not supposed to be movies, but it could still work. However, they didn't play that right. If you want to create tension trough narrative, then the *spectator* (which should be a player, amirait?) should feel that there is something at stake, e.g. Lara's life. But Lara keeps being pierced, falling, and getting her feet in a bear trap, and falling, beaten, and then she just gets up and keeps on going! If you can see the main character basically brushing off almost everything that happens to her, then the tension is gone, no matter how much blood you want to show. Being too violent in this case spoils the effect, working against suspension of disbelief when the character just keeps on going. Later on in the game she is suddenly in need of medical assistance (even tough having been trough much worse), but the problem is solved is such an hasty way to make it as believable as the good ol insta-heal kits. But we accepted those kits in terms of gameplay, because it was in fact a different genre! Now, there were two road they could have taken: either go with the original formula, a female indy with over the top abilities we just take for granted, which does happily allow for much less realism, or a girl with little or no training except an archeology PhD that learns and refines her skills on the ground, forced to survive in a realistic and unforgiving environment. You would see her getting around clumsily at fist and gaining confidence trough her adventure. They obviously tried the latter approach, but excessive violence and a disempowered gamplay takes this game off the mark, not to mention how the added realism makes all the silly an unrealistic elements stand out, and there is very little character progression. Shes' already awesome to begin with, she just looks more insecure, again spoiling the tension. There is nothing at stake. Those two approaches are very different and you can't apply them both at the same time.
    Oh, I almost forgot: quick time events. Quick time events are a stupid excuse to make a long cinematic look like you're still interacting with a videogame. I'm fine with long cinematics, I hate "press E very fast to make the cinematic go on!!!". The number of too many QTE in your game is 1.
    It's not an exceedingly bad game tough, by all means buy it if you find a copy under 5 bucks, as there is much, much worse out there, but even if you're fine with it not being actually a tomb raider game, this is still a missed occasion.
  96. Apr 7, 2013
    This is story lead, character driven survival game and absolutely loved it.

The story is compelling, the visuals are stunning, the voice acting is outstanding. The bow is a highly effective weapon in the game. I found some of the other weapons significantly less useful, but I think that facilitates varied personal play styles. There are cutscenes and quick-time events, for the
    This is story lead, character driven survival game and absolutely loved it.

There are cutscenes and quick-time events, for the most part I didn't find them too intrusive or annoying, it's hard to tell a good story without them.

One frequently criticised aspect is how quickly she changes into a hardened killer, this didn't bother me at all and neither did it seem jarring.

Lara is utterly charming and scarily determined. A delightful detail in the game is how she geeks out over artifacts she discovers. These often come at welcome moments to lighten the tone when the atmosphere is otherwise bleak.

There are several negative comments regarding it being more of a movie than a game. I instantly think of Uncharted and have to disagree. Yes Tomb Raider is cinematic, but it is definitely more of a game than a movie, you set the pace and you can back track to explore.

I find many of the complaints puerile and hyperbolic:
    - "There's a button to show you what you need to look at if you can't figure it out"
    - "Don't press it if you don't want to"
    - "But people less awesome than me will still be able to play through the game"
    - "Get over yourself"

- "There aren't enough weapons"
    - "She isn't Duke Nukem, and the weapons she does have can be improved throughout the game"

- "If I wanted a story I'd watch a movie or read a book"
    - "Some games are story lead and others are 'And the upshot is you have to kill everything that moves', this one falls into the first category, it might not be to your taste but that doesn't make it a bad game."

- "There's regenerating health"
    - "You want to go back to Gordon Freeman on 4% health back tracking for med-stations? You found that fun?"
  97. Apr 7, 2013
    Great reboot and great game!

Great reboot and great game!

This game has by far one of the most incredible graphics (when playing on a modern PC with all its features and TressFX enabled). The texture are really HD quality which is not achieve by every game nowadays. The story is interesting and the atmosphere is quite dark and creepy (you'll find a lot documents from people with different backgrounds all over the isle and you just want to know what the hell happened here and what is still going on?). The gameplay is similiar to the latest TR titles of Crystal Dynamics.

The controls are direct and precise. And after five classic and three modern titles of TR this reboot was necessary. And it succeeded! Lara is scared, she freezes and killing is not easy for her in the beginning. But that bothers the fluent (combat) gameplay later on. Fights are not that much like in Uncharted where it was sometimes very annoying. Tomb Raider is the perfect mix between exploration, climbing, running and jumping and fighting. She has to learn many things like close combat moves. She finds salvage in order to upgrade her weapons (which is very authentic because you don't get any fancy M16 rather than a full taped AK which looks kind of improvised.

The voice acting is stunning. I'm from Germany and played it in English. Since English isn't my native language it might different to an English speaker, but I think it is just great (the German voice overs are very good, too, but I do really like that British accent, especially when women speak like that ).

So in conclusion you got a lot of action, a lot of exploration and climbing, an intense atmosphere and story driven game with great cutscenes, awesome graphics. There is simply nothing wrong with this game.

The only downside I could find is the easy difficulty. I play games on normal because I don't that much of a challenge and just want to enjoy the game and its story without being stuck at the loading screens. But in this game I set the difficulty on hard because finding so much ammo is simply too easy (you get never in situation were you run out of it, you even get perks to get more ammo and IF you run out you just take another of your four weapons).

But this is not that bad and may suits less talented players very well in order to enjoy this great piece of art.
  98. Apr 6, 2013
    Awesome game and plots. Real challenges. Love the gameplay and graphics and found that I soon got very immersed in the game and really felt I was being hunted. My Game of the year. Beats Bioshock Infinite hands down and is the quality of Far Cry 3. This is a game worth the money whatever you pay for it.
  99. Apr 6, 2013
    AmazingAwesomeIncredibleOutstandingExcellentMarvellousBreath taking.
    AmazingAwesomeIncredibleOutstandingExcellentMarvellousBreath taking.
    This is how I would describe Tomb Raider, since the first time I saw the gameplay at E3 I knew that I'll love it, I knew that I had to buy it, and it was my most anticipated game of 2013. My anticipations were high but there is no doubt that Tomb Raider not only met with my anticipations but also surpassed it. You are playing Lara Croft before she became the legend that we know today, she is just a young woman who is searching for legendary myth with her crew-friends, unfortunately for her a storm hit their ship and everyone is stucked on an unknown island and to make it worse there are people in the island, very dangerous people that will kill anything in their sight. Lara needs to learn how to hunt, how to kill and how to survive on this island. this is where the legendary Lara Croft is born and you are going to remember the moments, the hardship that Lara is going to endure. This is the first game that I ever cared about keeping the main character alive cause if you don't you will witness many gruesome deaths that even the mortal kombat can't be compared to. If you think about buying it don't think just buy, and remember it isn't the multiplayer that makes this game amazing its the single-player campaign that you will remember for a very long time. Tomb Raider is without a doubt 2013 game of the year
  100. Apr 5, 2013
    Awesome game. Graphics are beautiful, you can easily get attached to the characters, and the weapon upgrades are enough to keep you interested never mind the story (which is great).

I do have to down-rate this by 1 simply because I completed the game, on normal, just over 3 hours at 78% completion. A friend of mine who spent more time (~25 hours) in the game resulted in 83% completion. So I figure I didn't miss much on a normal play-through. Other then that, I hope to see Crystal Dynamics back with a sequel to this. I could take or leave Square Enix's production.

1. Jun 10, 2013
    The new incarnation of the iconic Lara Craft might very well be one of the best games out there right now. [April 2013]
  2. Mar 30, 2013
    Everything you could want from an archeological adventure, except having to press six keys to mantle. [Apr 2013, p.80]
  3. Mar 19, 2013
    While not every promising idea Tomb Raider has is pulled off successfully, it nevertheless turns in a tense and memorable ride that combines modern game design with its forebears’ adventurous spirit in some exciting ways. Some of its missteps may well come at the cost of your enjoyment, but most can’t hope to hurt the adventure in the long run. Although it never fully finds its identity, this is a game and a story worth seeing through.