8.5

1. Apr 16, 2014
    I played the original TR back on the PS1 and have touched a couple of the other ones and was never really that sucked in. This one however is amazing. There is a mix of stealth, gun play, puzzles and story that kept me entertained the whole time. Such a huge improvement that I can't wait for a sequel now.
  2. Apr 15, 2014
    This was easily my favorite game of last year. For anyone who grew up with Tomb Raider on the original PlayStation - this is a must-play game. It is a grittier take on the franchise, and felt a lot like Daniel Craig's "Casino Royale" James Bond origin story reboot in a lot of ways. The graphics and scenes are incredible and kept me in constant suspense / amazement. The only complaint I have is that the competitive multiplayer really felt tacked onto the end and felt out of place in a Tomb Raider game - I would've preferred even more story or some compelling co-op mode option. Expand
  3. Apr 13, 2014
    This is the best action game I ever played.(and I am 30 :) ) Game pulls you inside and doesnt let you out.Finished 1 day and have a neck pain.Thanks square enix..
  4. Apr 13, 2014
    This is a well-crafted game. It oozes quality from the graphics to the pacing to the voice acting.

Definitely not your average Tomb Raider game. The puzzles and platforming have a different feel and overall aren't as hard as in some previous installments.

Its main shortcomings come in the form of perhaps being a bit too easy and that there is no penalty for dying. There's also a
    lot of "computer-assist" going on in terms of the platforming, which some might find to be too much. Expand
  5. Apr 12, 2014
    If you are looking for an awesome adventure game this is it. Critics may dislike it because it's linear, but that doesn't stop this from being a great game. The game's graphics are simply beautiful and add so much to the atmosphere of the game. The game mechanics are similar to that of assassins creed, but none of the moves are difficult to master. If you are looking for a game that plays out like a "movie", this is it. Expand
  6. Apr 10, 2014
    An absolutely fantastic games and fantastic controls. I can't tell you how enjoyable playing this game was. I love the weapon choice, weapon add-ons and most of all the bow. The voice acting is top notch. The sense of exploration is great although at times a bit too linear, quick time events could also be annoying for some however I thought they were well implemented. I haven't touched the multiplayer and I have no desire too. This game could have been enhanced by giving the player some more freedom of exploration - the tombs although option were pretty easy.
    This reboot serves as a darker tale for the character of Lara Croft and is an excellent one at that. Great gameplay and a solid story make this a fantastic game.
  7. Apr 8, 2014
    This game was surprisingly awesome. I never played any of the previous games and really had no intention to but this one was available for free as a member of Playstation Plus so figured I would give it shot. This best comparison point would be the Uncharted series (which I love) and I think this game was highly influenced by those titles but they pulled it off pretty well. There are some mind blowing action sequences on par with the best of those in Uncharted.

The environments are beautifully rendered and definitely one of the most enjoyable aspects of the game - the island is just super fun to explore and there are plenty of extras to find. There are some role playing elements to the game and I felt that the skill system worked pretty well and most of the choices were actually useful or just plain cool to see in action.

The story was engrossing but the character dialogue and voice acting seemed a little off (at least compared to Naughty Dog games) but it's still probably better than average. The one thing that seemed a little flat in this game was the combat - it gets a little boring at times and was too repetitive. The emphasis was clearly on other aspects of the game and I wouldn't call this a hardcore shooter so that's understandable.
  8. Apr 5, 2014
    I just started playing this today and finally had to tear myself away for some food and water. I'm am totally
    into this adventure. Best Tomb Raider game ever. The Graphics are amazing and the story line is involving. Best game I have played in a long time!
  9. Apr 5, 2014
    This is the best action/adventure game I have ever played. Graphics were really good (10/10) and the story was good as well (9/10), I really hope there's going to be more games like this one in 2014. I came to realize that games that contain a girl as main character is usually more interesting.
  10. Mar 31, 2014
    I really enjoyed this game bought it day one full price. Pros - Graphics are impressive - Sound design is excellent -sound and graphics create atmosphere as strong as modern day version of original TR should feel -Well written story and characters - Great set pieces Cons -like uncharted the character kills without remorse -level design feels unrealistic at times -no definitive edition patch for pc gamers
    Very impressive title have great expectations for a sequel now!
  11. Mar 31, 2014
    You can play the game only to adore the beauty of Lara Croft . In addition to that if you are looking for a game with great graphics, addictive gameplay ,loads of action,shooting,exploring a lonesome island,along with a mythical story, this is it. Action adventure game epitomized.
  12. Mar 23, 2014
    Good Game,This is one of those games where you get so involved with the character and with the visuals surrounding it. The story line is amazing the sound effect are awesome. The multiplayer is even not that bad I actually enjoyed playing a litle bit of it. I think this is one of my favorite so far this year.
  13. Mar 23, 2014
    I've played every TR except 1, and I've replayed Legend, Anniversary, and Underworld just to prep for it, that's how much I'm into TR.

And here's some unpolished thoughts:

Puzzle-wise it's lacking in scale and coherence--understandably because it's now in semi-open world format, which means open world travel > tomb/confined spaces > open world travel. And this actually hurts the
    immersion you get from tackling long series of great looking puzzles in a grand tomb/ place alone which defined TR. Interestingly, Assassin's Creed's large tombs had given that same kind of immersion to me.

Social aspect is strong, but i just don't know was it helping or hurting the game because solemn exploration and comrade-helping is somewhat contradictory in nature, and either needs a lot of time and content to be memorable. There were too many different characters, and the focus on each of them was scattered and short-lived (except Sam), not allowing any deep memorable connection to develop.

The extras (hidden stuff, journals, artifacts) again were overambitious in that they were all trying to cue the player towards various of lore/ side story that would be interesting, but were not quite resolved.

Enemy placement was unbelievable at times, like spawning from a cave entrance behind which you'll discover afterwards that it's a slide > jump > cling wall place

It's still a good game in that It has good graphics, focused back story, detailed character movements, fluid combat system, and a solid chunk of non-repeated scripted interactive scenes. But again everyone knows that focusing the game's development resources on these things takes it away from other things (in this case, actual playable puzzles and interactive time between characters).

To be fair, given the scope/ experimental stuff they did to the game, this TR could only be seen as a prequel (if there will be any sequel since SE thought they didn't sell enough)

From a player's perspective the game is totally worth it, but critically, it's an experimental TR that misplaced too much of its resources in things that did not define the franchise. The end product is another modern AAA title that doesn't stand out an awful lot.
  14. Mar 21, 2014
    Fantastic job with the game. I thought it was a wise move to make Lara more vulnerable. Nice pacing to the action and story. Well acted and graphics were excellent. I really enjoyed playing it from start to finish. The only small gripe is when Lara dies, the cut-scenes were unnecessarily gruesome. Highly recommended.
  15. Mar 20, 2014
    This game is just as gorgeous as it is fun. I definitely recommend it to anyone on the fence about this game. It's a must have if you enjoy 3rd person shooters. I would go in depth about it, but since there are several thousand reviews already I'll just respectfully place my score and go on to the next one.
  16. Mar 13, 2014
    Played: Dec 2013 PROS: + Level design is quite good: the locations actually feel like parts of an island (the mountain village is especially good) + Several awesome action sequences CONS: - Story is pretty flimsy - Combat doesn’t feel quite right REVIEW: I picked this game up for $10 during steam’s end of year sale, and man was it a bargain! Running this game on a high-end PC allowed me to run, jump, and fight all over beautiful environments in what seems to be a popularized remake of a cult-favorite series. Beautiful environments aren’t everything, though: the prettiest game is still boring if you only move down an endless hallway. This is where Tomb Raider really shines-environments are interesting and varied. Cover is only important until you have killed all the baddies on the island (they don’t regenerate), but revisiting old areas to complete “find x objects” quests is still interesting because of the depth of the areas (most are at least 2-stories tall).
    The other main advantage this game boasts is the number of action sequences. I can think of four sequences right off hand where I literally said out loud “Man, this is awesome!” I’d hate to wreck any surprises by gushing about what they were, but a game that actually manages to be memorable should be worth a few dollars.
    Moving on to what didn’t go well, the story is frankly dumb. Sure the premise is cool: you are on an academic trip to find a long-lost culture and have to survive. Unfortunately the conclusion is pretty obvious from the beginning; the hints that are supposed to lead up to the surprise climax ending really just give away a pretty shallow plot. To their credit, however they at least attempted to fill it out with well-voiced audio clips that you find around.
    My other gripe is combat. This game feels like is was supposed to be about platforming and exploring but somebody said it was boring and a combat system had to be grafted in wholesale. You have four weapons plus some hand-to-hand skills to work with, but this is third-person action as we saw it in the mid-2000s with clunky weapons and occasionally awkward hitboxes. If you find yourself in really close proximity, there is an okay counter system but I found that it was more fun to avoid fights all together, sniping the guards with a bow so I could explore at leisure.
    BOTTOM LINE: This game has its weaknesses, but it is definitely worth your attention, especially if you can find it on sale!
  17. Feb 24, 2014
    Game itself is great. If you have an AMD Graphics Card that can handle the TressFX option, you may get the so-called "Definitive Edition" of XBOX One and PS4. Only the "hair" of Lara will improve as it's the only option that will be changed on Ultimate preset. Overall the gameplay is dynamic and easy to learn, graphics is nice. There are tombs to raid and treasures to look for, its a game that's not going to be over like 12 hours (unless if you skip hunting treasures and tombs).

It's a great game for everyone to have in your games collection.
  18. Feb 19, 2014
    I was so disappointed when I reached the end of the story-line. I didn't want it to be over. I've been going through Tomb Raider withdrawal for an entire week now. The story-line progressed at just the right pace throughout the entire game though, so the "symptoms" I'm currently experiencing are simply an indicator that everything in this game was done remarkably well. No frustrating and stupidly absurd boss characters to beat (but nothing patronizing either), an awesome and immersive story, incredible depth into Lara's character, beautiful and well-directed cuts and cinematics, truly detailed and high resolution world modeling.. It's all fantastic. And the physical detail of Lara's character model? I am so hot for Lara Croft after playing this game, it's ridiculous. lol Nerves of steel, great with guns, a sexy accent, and just the right amount of modesty built in? Now *that's* a potent combination! There's so many physical maneuvers and outrageous (believable, but absolutely outrageous) ledge-grabs that she does along the way that made me say, "Man, that is one crazy-*ss bi*ch!" I would have come up to one of those ones on the antenna tower and been like "Oh f**k no. See ya.." This just made me appreciate her character and role in the story even more though..

And by the way, those who modeled her physical "appearance" deserve special praise in my book. Thank you so much for giving this lioness a believable and curvaceous C-cup, and not some cantaloupe-wannabe triple-Es. The Jolie era of Tomb Raider character models has been overdue to be purged for the longest time now, so thank you for correcting this "malignancy".

Seriously, the next installment of this game can't come soon enough. Phenomenal job, Eidos Montreal and Enix. Please do as good a job with the next one..
  19. Feb 3, 2014
    If you want a ~10 hours long interactive movie, which has average story and enough explosion to make even Michael Bay satisfied, this is your title.
    If you want to play a game which has more game play elements than a platformer from the '90s you should skip Tomb Raider (or wait for a sale).
  20. Feb 1, 2014
    I nice-looking but inordinately shallow third-person adventure game / 'platformer' (*term used loosely). The platforming in the game is very disappointing, even if it weren't a TR game. The game suffers from the infamous modern day video gaming cancer known as "accessibility". Due to the shallow, hand held environment traversal, the game boils down to little more than linear progression through what's meant to be an open world environ, with ho hum shooting segments interspersed throughout. The fully automated cover system destroys any semblance of tension, as it enters cover whenever an enemy is in the vicinity; irrespective of whether they're within the player's view or not. The game is also hampered by overuse of the dreaded 'QTE's' and too many cut-scenes. The violence depicted in said cut-scenes is also way overkill for the TR franchise -- patently done in order to attract a broader [American] crowd. If you want to play Tomb Raider for what made it a fan favourite - platforming, puzzles and exploration - don't play this 'junk food' title. Stick to early Lara Croft adventures. For Tomb Raider 2013 is little more than one cut-scene followed by another linear TPS segment until the end credits. (NB: I did not play the online-only, arena-based mutiplayer component of the game due to the scathing reviews it received.) Expand
  21. Jan 29, 2014
    This game is awesome. I am not a fan of Tomb Raider game but this version of Tomb Raider makes me good hooked to the game and unwilling to let go of my controller :D

The actions are way better. I love the PC ver of Lara, way better facial features compare to PS3 and Xbox (even if the graphic is not as detailed). To enjoy this game, play it with a Windows XBox Controller ;)
  22. Jan 29, 2014
    My first foray into the Tomb Raider franchise was enjoyable. Tomb Raider is a good game that you should definitely check out. It's a third person action-adventure with some basic platforming and puzzle solving.The story is average for the most part, but on the last 1-2 levels the story really picks up and i became much more interested in it. The graphics are above average and the animations are okay, except that there are numerous clipping issues on Lara's basic movements, which is unacceptable. The sounds, music, effects and everything like that are good. The combat is a pretty average, really nothing to write home about, but it gets the job done. The involvement with the environment, and the development of Lara throughout the game is masterfully done. Lara's image will change from a pristine looking young lady in the beginning of the game to a rugged, experienced explorer in the end. Though, Lara herself is also one of the biggest flaws in the game. She just isn't believable at all. This is the problem with strong female protagonists. Females just don't have the physical strength or athleticism to make the actions Lara does believable. I mean, especially for an archaeologist who clearly has never done strength training to be able to pull herself up constantly is just laughable. And the terrible tacked on MP modes. Seriously, not every game needs multiplayer and Tomb Raider is yet another example of a game that would have highly benefited from having no MP mode at all. But on to the biggest problem with the game: The quick time events. My God, they are everywhere. I died more times because i missed a quick time event than I did in all other parts of the game combined. It's pathetic. Why do developers think that quick time events are fun? At the end of the game, right before the credits, it says "We have made the best game we possibly can" If your best game is this riddled with quick time events then someone needs to be fired. Honestly, it's embarrassing. I know it seems like a I ranted about a lot for a score of 8/10. But despite all of these flaws, I really did enjoy Tomb Raider more than most games. Expand
  23. Jan 26, 2014
    The first Tomb Raider game I played after the third one. I didn't expect much and was stunned how beautiful and interesting this reboot of the original was. Everything in this game is very well thought through and very well executed. Visually very beautiful. Great dialog, amazing game-play, and interesting achievements. Great game all around.
  24. Jan 25, 2014
    once you get past the first 30 mins of cut-scenes and quick-time events then the game opens up and will make you feel every emotion Lara is going through. This is the best survivor game ever made and one of the best third person action games ever made too. due to 95% of cut-scenes being rendered in game , the PC version in particular really impress with amazing visuals and the best character models seen to date. Expand
  25. ERB
    Jan 21, 2014
    You guys should play this game.Tomb Raider is an absolute fun game.Tomb Raider is an open world game.In this game you can hunt for food and kill some bandits in the island.Tomb Raider is a beautiful game with It's realistic graphics and beautiful world.You must buy this game.You will really love this game.I bet you will have a lot of fun with this game.
  26. Jan 21, 2014
    This was the biggest gaming surprise I’ve had in a while. I expected a lame rehash from a stale franchise. Instead, I’m happy to announce that Tomb Raider is an incredibly fun and intense experience that has resurrected Lara Croft.

I played the original years ago and while it was fun at the time the formula got old quickly and I could not get interested in the sequels. It was roughly
    90% intricate, drawn-out puzzles & platforming with 10% miserable combat sprinkled in. What they’ve done is rebalance the game mechanics so it focuses much more on combat (which is oh-so-fluid) and the puzzles & platforming are more of a side dish. I think this works because it keeps the game moving along.

For example, there are optional tombs you can raid, but they are very small areas with only one puzzle that won’t take you more than 10 minutes to solve. This is a little disappointing, I’ll admit. I would like to have a little more meat to the puzzles, but I will take the short ones over getting bogged down in a 45-minute labyrinth.

RPG elements have been introduced, as well. There is a lot of optional stuff you can do in this game which will yield experience to make Lara stronger through special skills as well as finding “salvage” which is used to improve your weapons in certain ways (more damage, less recoil, etc). Special journals can be found, too, which help to unravel the mystery of the island you’re on.

Another brilliant touch is how they’ve tweaked exploration. Each area has several sets of secrets to uncover but you don’t have to find them all before you move on (some will require items you don’t have yet, anyway). You discover campsites as you play and can fast travel between them. This lets you focus on having fun instead of feeling obligated to gut an area’s secrets right away to avoid a lengthy backtrack to an earlier area. It makes things so nice.

The game is gorgeous, too. Environments are beautiful & smartly designed so they feel very open with lots of nooks & crannies to peek in and usually multiple paths to traverse around obstacles.

As I mentioned earlier, combat is fluid and thrilling, the exact opposite of how it was in the original game. Head shots with fire arrows never get old, and the AI is smart. Ranged opponents will throw fire bombs to flush you out of cover or shoot guns at you while melee opponents will zip line in to close on you. And there are so many gratifying ways to kill them. Stick an arrow shaft through their neck with your hand at close range, dig your climbing axe into their back for a stealth kill, hit a guy right as he’s about to throw dynamite resulting in a friendly fire explosion, etc.

The story is very good, too. Games rarely make me want to play to find out what happens next anymore. Usually the story is something bland & serviceable to keep me level grinding. I really like the narrative in TR, though. Quite unrealistic, of course, but still enjoyable.

And if you’re concerned, keyboard & mouse controls work just fine. This is not one of those sloppy console ports that is unplayable w/out a gamepad.

The only knock I have against this game is the use of quick time events. QTEs are something I want to see go away and never come back. I am tired of the “press E to awesome” gameplay mechanic. However, Tomb Raider doesn’t rely too heavily on them and they are at least presented in a very dramatic way, so don’t listen to any commenters saying the game is nothing but cutscenes & QTEs. The beginning is admittedly slow and has a lot of them, but that’s because you haven’t gotten your weapons yet. Once you get armed, you encounter them a lot less. The QTEs don’t ruin the game and only end up being a very minor annoyance.

There is also the obligatory multiplayer mode that all video games are apparently required by law now to include. I don’t know anything about it and I will probably never play it. It’s an extra thing if you want it, but know that the single player campaign is not lacking at all.

If you like action games, you should definitely pick this one up. Tomb Raider had lost several steps over the years but is now running like a more polished version of Playstation’s Uncharted series, with better combat & storytelling. A very nice surprise that is worth your attention.
  27. Jan 20, 2014
    QTE ruined it. The game is kinda good, with a lot of nice ideas and a good design. But then you watch the same cutscene over and over again, because you didn't press a key quick enough. It a shame, really...
  28. Jan 18, 2014
    [TombRaider on SteamPC Score 9 ] Truly a great Reboot and a must for Fans of the TombRaider series. This is the perfect update to the TombRaider franchise with all the run and gun, the platforming and the puzzle solving you loved in the previous editions but with Gorgeous 3D modelling, atmospherics, physics, water and more. A perfectly balanced and highly enjoyable 36 hours of fun just waiting for you….. add to cart : )) My only regret is that there is no advantage to Solo Replay; finishing unfound collectibles is fun but very short. Multiplayer is available but you will need to look up a review elsewhere.

[Released] by Square Enix and ported to PC by Nixxies: yeah Nixxies did good work and you should enjoy it. Nixxies did however screw one thing up: Remapping primary key bindings is possible but the alternative secondary key bindings just screw up and then screwed up the on screen instructions. Tolerable but just plain poor programming on somebodies part… NB: This is not a game breaker and should not affect your decision to buy this game because this game really is Fantastic, I just wanted Square Enix and Nixxies to know that this looks bad for them. I enjoyed every second of this game otherwise.

[DRM] Steam only, thank goodness there is no GamesForWindowsLive / Origin / Uplay on this title, I did not have to create an alternative account. [Story] is a prequel to all the Lara Croft adventures…young Lara Croft, a little more helpless, a little more emotional, and sometimes a little too whiny. Character dialogue is immature especially with NPCs, who wrote this balloney? [Saves] Automatic saves as they should be. Perfect. Manual saves as usual.

[Bugs] None that I am aware of….except the key binding fudge. Digital fudge.

[Graphics] Default settings were to heavy on the post processing…. Even though my PC was flipping 60 FPS the depth of field effects and other sh*t was too much. I cut back a lot of the effects and it looked great; sometimes Less is More, and this was it.

[MyPC 2011] i7-2600K 3.4GHz / ASUS Z68 ProGen3 / 8G RAM / Radeon 6870 / W7 PRO SP1 / Samsung 275T @1920x1200 / Logitech G15 / Kensington ExpertMouse / Sennheiser HD600

[MyFavorites] [NowPlaying] BrokenAge [Win7] TombRaider Dishonored TheKnifeOfDunwall TheBrigmoreWitches TheDreamMachine Ep1-4 30FlightsOfLoving Fez BioshockInfinite Antichamber Stacking Metro2033 Rochard Crysis&Warhead&2 JustCause2 Rage [XP] Papo&Yo DeuxExHR&TheMissingLink DeadSpace1&2 Fallout3&NewVegas HalfLife1&2 Bordelands1&2 BatmanArkumAsylum AssassinsCreed Magicka RedFaction Portal1&2 FromDust MrRobot Sam&MaxSeasons1&2 CulpaInnata TheSecretOfMonkeyIsland DreamfallTheLongestJourney Syberia1&2 CrayonPhysicsDeluxe DefenseGridTheAwakening PlantsVsZombies Prototype Bioshock1&2 UnrealTournament3 Quake4 [360] AfroSamurai BrutalLegends [XBOX] HALO KOTOR1&2 Crackdown ArmedAndDangerous AggressiveInline BeyondGoodAndEvil DeadOrAlive1&2&3&ExtremeBeachVolleyball Psychonauts [AppleG4] FullThrottle DeusExMachina ONI ReturnToZork Suspended UnrealTournament TombRaiderSeries

[Born] 1964 [PS: I do not know anybody who works in the game industry ~ I just enjoy games : - ]
  29. Jan 16, 2014
    This is one of best game i ever played lately. Scenario is gorgeous the sound effect are awesome. The multiplayer not bad I enjoyed playing a litle bit of it. This is one of my favorite game now
  30. Jan 15, 2014
    eins mal vorweg. ich bin eigentlich schon ein großer fan der tomb raider serie. doch was hier gemacht worden ist, ist nicht mehr tomb raider. es ist mehr ein shooter mit kletter einlagen und ein bissi schatzsuche. dieser teil hat wirklich nichts mehr mit tomb raider zu tun. außer dem namen. aber das ist nicht so schlimm, den das spiel ist eigentlich ganz ok. für meinen geschmack zu viele stupide action parts, was schon an uncharted erinnert und die schatzsuche ist einfach zu leicht. ich hätte mich eher auf ein tomb raider im alten stil gewünscht mit viel mehr kletter einlagen und rätsel. aber das ist ja für den großteil der heutigen jugend dann zu schwer und langweilig ;) Expand
  31. Jan 12, 2014
    Let's start with what's good about the game:
    -Lara is a better character than ever. She's pretty but she's not a bimbo, she actually has some clothes on, which is sadly rare in videogames nowadays. She's smart, but she's not the nerdy scientist cliché. She's courageous but she's not some kind of dumb female rambo but she's still vulnerable without being the usual annoying damsel in
    distress. Overall she's a very likable character.
    - The environnements and overall graphics are pretty nice.
    - The writing is interesting, even though the storyline isn't anything special.

That being said, here's what I don't like about the game:
    - The gameplay is just downright terrible, Lara's control feels very clunky, there's QTE's all over the place, the combat mechanics are just horrible, the game allows you to take the stealth option only when it's not important to do so, otherwise it throws waves of dumb enemies at you.
    - The camera does a lot of forcing its pre-determined angles on you.
    - The animations are among the worst i've seen, and for some reason, the other animations in this "worst" categories are also from Square Enix games.
    - A lot of Hitman Absolution assets have clearly been re-used in this game. And Absolution itself was already terrible.

Overall, it's enjoyable at times, but it would have been better off as a movie than as an actual game. And that's actually how the game feels, an interactive movie you actually have very little control over.
  32. Jan 9, 2014
    The positive: great graphics, nice controls and playability, female hero, was really fun to play the first half.
    The negative: ludicrous story, and here and there unnecessary violent and bloody, becomes too repetitive after the first half of the game (I lost interest and never finished).

I wished that the developers could have focused more on puzzles, survival and story rather than
    forcing Lara to become a simple killing machine. For instance, it would have been nice elaborate on survival skills, hunting, building shelters and so on. This part exists in the game to some lesser extent, but is never really required for finishing. Expand
  33. Jan 8, 2014
    This game takes inspirations from uncharted series and has some of the most breathtaking scenes seen in games.Combat and controls are easy and quick time events don't feel forced.Soundtrack and voice acting is just amazing and while others characters don't feel well made,it is Lara croft that shines like a star.Exploring is more physics based than with riddles and while there are a few you really wished there were a few more.The only bad thing about the game was the unnecessary multiplayer put into the game. Expand
  34. Jan 8, 2014
    Square Enix's rebranding of yet another Eidos franchise uses the same design philosophy as Hitman Absolution. The focus is almost entirely on producing a very high quality title, regardless of innovation or sophistication in level design. The game engine is incredible, offering not only amazing graphics, draw distances and of course, hair, but also realistic destruction, superb controls and realistic AI. Tomb Raider showcases some of the best practices in game programming and doesn't make any mistakes in this department. From intuitive controls to excellent combat mechanics, including an automated cover system. Although you have to always aim first before firing, the shooter sections are genuinely intense and provide a challenge on the Hard difficulty setting. The platforming mechanics and movement animations are meticulous and fluent. The instincts button is very helpful for identifying objects of significance and hints on what to do and where to go so as to minimise frustration. The checkpoint system is perfect, the ability to fast travel will make for some more enticing replay value and best of all, you are rewarded for exploring. Tomb Raider is an extremely linear game, and everything is scripted with a few (not annoying) QTEs and predictable movie-style cliché cutscenes. However, despite the almost automated progression, Tomb Raider will reward those that take the time to explore the extremely detailed environments and optional tombs with both direct gameplay benefits as well as some more backstory. The upgrade system is simple but not tacked on. You don't NEED to buy anything, and the whole game is very simple unlike most RPGs. There aren't a billion different skills and currency types and meters. Whilst this is preferable for non-RPG players like myself, it does lack depth and it would be nice if there was more player involvement and an opportunity to use the weapons. After all, it is a survival game so it should at least depict this in gameplay. The story and character development is OK but could be a lot better. The multiplayer has an interesting game mode with "Cry for Help", and the progression, weapon balancing, perks etc. are well balanced (minus shotguns, which are underpowered), but the quality is not comparable with that of the single player, with a few bugs and laggy matches aplenty. Overall, Tomb Raider is a true adventure game which tries to appeal to the casual audience. It is the kind of game you recommend to a non-gamer and the emotionally sensitive. Although Tomb Raider is a shining example of game quality and practices regarding collectibles, mechanics etc. and has mainstream appeal, hardcore gamers will find more enjoyment in other titles with greater depth and more gameplay-orientated, player-driven approach such as Far Cry 3. If you're looking for a modern adventure game though, Tomb Raider is by far the most polished and appealing even to those that don't like the genre. Expand
  35. Jan 7, 2014
    I really love this game. The graphics and the environments are marvellous (especially if you can max them out), gameplay and combat are very enjoyable, so are exploring the island, the tombs, or finding relics...I really like Lara's character, she's more of an average girl forced into a hostile world instead of the somewhat unrealistic and "bloated" character of the past.
    Just a couple of
    cons: the campaign is too short, too many quick time events, and also didn't like the supernatural element in the story, it seems out of place.

However, it is definitely a must have.
  36. Jan 5, 2014
    This game is extremely shallow. It boasts that there is character development throughout the game, but the character changes immediately after the 1st scene. The action sequences are cheesy. The story line is awful.

The gameplay mechanics are actually fun, but for me, the story was so cheesy and predictable that it disrupted any sort of value it could have had.
  37. Jan 5, 2014
    The technically far superior version of the game (till the Definitive edition arrives) is every bit as good as its other versions. This is one suberb game, one of the finest of 2013 and of its generation. The PC version really looks the part and is till now of the best-looking games on all platforms.
  38. Jan 5, 2014
    This was actually my first introduction to the Tomb Raider series, which may influence my take on the game since I haven't been playing them since '96. I really enjoyed this game, a lot, but that is not to say it isn't without it's flaws, it has a few, but I just really enjoyed the game, and I hope that the sequel addresses the shortcoming of this game. I played it on PC, so some of the shortcomings in gameplay may be due to the porting from console to PC.

Storyline: It was admittedly simple and a little far fetched, but you didn't need a complex story if it was told well, which I think it was. Yes it could have been better, how this island is so lost, and nobody seems to understand the fact that it's a death trap despite the apparent almost daily shipwrecks (as suggested by the sheer number of fresh corpses)? The plot wasn't so bad, and I liked that finding bits of the puzzle in artifacts and journals filled in what was going on. Some of the things that happen to Lora seem a little over the top, and some of the wounds she suffers during the game clearly would have become life threatening very quickly, yet somehow they are dealt with quite easily and never cause trouble again.
    The characters could have used more development, but I did feel some emotional attachment to some of them, I just wish they had a bit more depth and played a bit more of a part in the game. The prologue comic helps a bit.

Gameplay: There were elements of the gameplay I loved, and elements I hated. The movement was good, it was fluid and fairly intuitive, most of the time the camera angle was good and I could make the correct moves, but there were some times where the camera did not give me the necessary view and it was a guess as to where I was going to end up.

The first person aiming of weapons was a very good decision, I was able to quickly switch from third person, to an over the shoulder view with a first person reticle that switched my movements to first person, allowing me to aim at what I wanted and run backwards, strafe, etc. This was brilliant, and all I'd ask for is that zoom give me the actual weapon sights instead of just zooming in a bit. The weapons themselves could have used improvement, they lacked realism, which to me is important. The bows needed realistic trajectory, firearms didn't exhibit bullet drop, only suffered from a fixed range. A better variety of weapons was needed, my only choices were what to upgrade with my salvage. I would have preferred my choices to include a variety of different guns, and matching ammunition, but then I have been spoiled in that regard by the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series.

Melee combat was a little difficult for me, probably due to my relative inexperience with it, and the porting process taking something designed for a console controller to a keyboard, making it very clumsy. Having played the game and finally gotten a better understanding of it, and getting a mouse with extra programmable buttons, I think I could do better with the melee fighting now. The moves were cool and when I could get what I wanted to happen work, it was pretty neat.

The game really requires you to search around and make sure you find everything. Many of those items and journal entries do a lot to explain the story. This is of course a good thing.

The dreaded quicktime events, there were a few, they were annoying. I almost didn't buy the game after reading some negative reviews that complained about them. The quicktime events weren't that bad. They weren't that good either. Some of them took a few tries, then I made it past and continued enjoying the game. The problem was that for the PC, it was sometimes a really clumsy combo of buttons to press at very exacting moments. A tiny fraction of a second before or after the icon lights up, and nothing happens. Exceedingly frustrating. Thankfully there were fewer of them as the game went on, and I hope the sequel sees even less of them.

Aside from that, the gameplay and combat were a bit easy. Hard was not that much of a challenge. A handful of enemies could usually be dispatched quickly and easily, although the bow made it quite fun. The puzzles were a disappointment, while sometimes what I needed to do wasn't readily apparent, once I saw it, the puzzles were very simple. If you use the survival instincts to get hints you'll make it really boring.

Level design and atmosphere: The level design was very good, albeit linear. But I had fun exploring and everything was beautiful. Each location had something interesting to offer, and was constructed well and logically. The atmosphere was great, the feeling of isolation, vulnerability, and loneliness, contrasted with this huge beautiful world and the number of dangerous enemies, created a unique feeling, similar to my favorite, the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series. The music was minimal, but good, it matched the atmosphere, never overpowering the environment, I thought it was just right.

Overall, it has become one of my favorites
  39. Jan 2, 2014
    A good game completely ruined by the archaic use of quicktime events. And not just quicktime events but quicktime events where the key you need to press changes and they don't bother to tell you what the new key is. Absolutely not worth the money.
  40. Jan 2, 2014
    Amazing game with amazing atmosphere.
    This game has a lot of amazing features new and shine's light on to the Tomb Raider franchise. Quick Time Events are in the game but they aren't as frequent as you may think, The game play is slow at the start but after the first or second mission really picks up.
    I recommend this to fans of the series and also people who like third person shooters
    and give it a try. Expand
  41. Jan 1, 2014
    Let me start by saying that even back at the 90's i was saying that the Tomb Raider series is just some hyped rubbish.
    On the other hand Legacy of Kain series IMO is the best game series ever made (by billion miles away from anything else).
    This Tomb Raider though has nothing to do with the old rubbish series, this is a proper Crystal Dynamics Game. (even though that some members from
    the LoK Series arent in CD now)

Honestly Tomb Raider is better in everything than all 3 uncharted games combined.
  42. Jan 1, 2014
    Excellent game. I didn't find the characters and story as intriguing as other players did, but it still holds up very well. It follows a different formula than the old school Tomb Raider games, and in a good way. The controls are excellent and you'll never run out of action.

The only negative thing I have to say about the game is the quicktime events. Some of them are done well, but a
    lot of them are very rushed and you may find yourself dying over and over until you get them right. Expand
  43. Jan 1, 2014
    I won't lie, this game was linear. I absolutely hate linear games, but I paid 30 usd for it so I gave it a go. The game was so much fun I had trouble putting it down, played all 10 hrs I have into this game in four or five sittings. While it was incredibly fun, it was annoying at the same time. Here is my list of most disliked things 1. It is darn near impossible to find enough parts and salvage to upgrade all the weapons and equipment to full levels.
    2. Very linear, there is a certain path that you must take,and there are very few options if that isn't true.
    3. Button mashing, I about ruined the 'x' key on my keyboard from all the button mashing I had to do in order to get through this game.
    4. The format of cut-scene after cut-scene and designated save points appearing were frustrating, It led to me knowing when a certain fighting area was over or to prepare for the next bit, it left nothing to be a surprise or to my imagination of what was coming up next.
    5. Basically 0 replay value unless you are the kind of person who likes to collect pointless little bits from all over the playable area.

My favorite parts:
    1. I thought the story was very well developed and quite cool and interesting.
    2. it looks utterly fantastic.
    3. The controls were well thought out and key-bindings easily changed if you disagree with me.
    4.It stayed mainly true to my perceived concept of a tomb raider game, fun puzzles, good level navigation (climbing), and a great story related to some ancient civilization and the supernatural.

I give it a 6/10 for the fact it was wicked fun and very good looking, but was linear had some silly gimmicks and game-play mechanics and has virtually no replay value.
  44. Jan 1, 2014
    Firsdt of all i must say it's my first 3rd Person adventure of this kind (free camera positioning and shooter elements) i ever played and the surprise was a very positive one.
    I recommend playing this even the shooting scenes with Gamepad, since it's more handy for climbing, jumping and exploring the area. It was designed for Xbox360 controller but i'm sure others will perform as well.

As i'm a user of nVidia GTX 670 i am limited to 40fps since the game is hungry for recources but AMD cards should work much better.

Now to the Pros:
    - Excellent Graphics
    - Catching Storyline binds you to the game
    - You can switch actually between mouse+keyboard and controler by pressing any button
    - Not too hard to master but has a good learning curve
    - Nice detailed World with lot's of small treasures to find
    - It's as far as i played the missions bug-free
    - You won't miss out important stuff if you run through the world and explore the extra tombs later but it lwill make the gameplay just much more easy if you do explore everything.

Neither good or bad:
    - Sometimes enemys are triggered by moving at a certain spot and can be avoided if you have a good gaming instinct. They might apear as well on cleared spots where they can not have passed you during the gameplay.

now to the cons.:

- Excells only with AMD graphics (technology for her hair is built like that)
    - I had 2 times a game crash during 15hours gameplay but it might be a problem on my PC
    - Quicktime events affect the impression of a fluid gameplay, but they are not as disturbing as in Battlefield 3 and you actually handle them more easily.
    - Some cutscence are a bit too long and sometimes i feel like watching retards just blobing into a epic trap fails. I mean Lara sometimes could just take out the gun and mow them all down, instead of getting nearly killed. Sometimes traps are so obvious i wouldn't make the mistake she does.
    - Lara is as bit overpowered jumping off >20m heights and not breaking a single bone but hey it's a Game and no simulation. Falling might be not deadly enough...

I still haven't tested multiplayer but i loved killing rats and birds as well as the scavenging :D
  45. Dec 30, 2013
    Tomb Raider is a game I picked up on sale, not really knowing what to expect. What I got was a great experience. The visuals are stunning, the audio is masterful, and the gameplay is very fun.

However, the story was fairly weak. How am I expected to believe that this is her "becoming a survivalist" story when she murders roughly 300 people per second and survives beatings and falls fit
    for a super-human? It really should have been toned down A LOT. The actual story is interesting, but most of the characters aren't. There isn't much character development, either.

I am willing to look past these flaws and acknowledge this great game. One of the best this year, and i'll certainly be playing the sequel.
  46. Dec 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very good graphics, and near "human like" character animation for Lara. You see the team worked hard to devise a product worthy of the Tomb Raider franchise and make a good game overall, but why some game developers think that quick time events are the smartest and coolest things to put on a game? QTE sucks, fact! As for combat, both from character perspective and AI, it's not that challenging really. For example, no matter how much you upgrade your weapons, they'll kill just the same. I mean, it doesn't get more difficult as you go, the enemies remain the same. The enemies by the way, they really are as dumb as the documents you read about them reveal. They either run straight to you, or take cover leaving their heads sticking out. As for the weapons, bow and arrow is reeeeally boring, and the devs could really have given Lara a pair pistols instead of just one. That would be really cool. They gave that in the very last minute of the game, which was very disappointing... why didn't she get that from the moment she found the first one? Yes, because there seems to be and endless supply of weapons and ammo in that island, so why not? And what about plotholes? What's with the gazillions of corpses everywhere? For that amount of corpses, you'd imagine there is a airliner or a holiday cruise ship crashing into the island every five minutes... Not to mention that the survivors are all men! What, women are not tough enough to survive? Also, concrete structures and labs? How did they get all the materials and equipment into the island, if everything that gets close to it is smashed to bits? Overall, apart from a few glitches, QTEs and plotholes, it's quite a good game, although it's got no replay value at all, especially if aiming to complete 100% of all maps in the first playthrough, as I did. Do I recommend it? Yes, but only for the right price. I got mine for 10 on sale, so for the 30+ hours it took me to complete it, it was well worth it. Expand
  47. Dec 27, 2013
    The old Tomb Raider games are average at best in my opinion, so this game came as a surprise for me. It has everything a good adventure needs and is a little more realistic and serious than the original games, which makes it so much better. The only bad thing I can bring up are the quick time events.

Best remake of a video game series and one of the best games of 2013.
  48. Dec 27, 2013
    This is a good game but not a GREAT game. the reason being that you are lead by your nose though the whole adventure. You never have to do much thinking yourself as the puzzles are extremely basic and all ledges/climbable walls stick out like a sore thumb pulling you out of the game. Bright white rope that you can attach to, bright white ledges just bring home that you are in a GAME not a 'world'. It feels a lot like Darksiders actually.

My last point is there really isn't much tomb raiding going on here. The tombs are all single room puzzles and are generally quite basic. A real pity that developers can't throw some more difficult stuff into the optional tombs.

Luckily the plot and desire to see what happens should get you through the game. The beginning and end are very good. its just the middle that suffers from "you are an idiot and we don't trust you to play the game yourself" syndrome.
  49. Dec 27, 2013
    I greatly enjoyed this game. I was emotionally involved in everything Lara did which ranged from killing her first person to truly becoming "Lara Croft" as we know her. But, as is becoming a recurring theme with all of my reviews, I must state a few issues. The combat is mostly solid so lets start there. Running around in third person and busting baddies' armor off is truly an addicting experience, especially when it's combined with a great progression system where you choose which weapon you specialize in. One issue is that it feels slippery, the targeting system is lackluster so nothing feels really solid. Speaking of slippery, the platforming can lead to a bunch of cheap deaths because of odd momentum mechanics which make you feel like your "slipping" off of edges a lot of times. Towards the end of the game, most of the platforming mechanics felt old; especially the climbing pick-ax because it's speed is underwhelming to say the least. Overall, if you're going to play this game, then play it for the excellent acting and writing but do not expect an overly phenomenal gameplay experience. Expand
  50. Dec 26, 2013
    As a big fan of the Series, i was skeptical about the new game, as it goes a totally different way in terms of gameplay, however i was incredibly wrong.

This game made me feel like i was actually in the game, the sound, the level design, the art direction, it is so beautiful, then in comes the actual gameplay, whilst it starts off a bit generic, it soon opens up to be so much more if
    you are willing to give this game the attention it so does deserve.

The Tombs gave me the nostalgia i crave from the older games, whilst the rest of the game offers a more complete and detailed game.

My favorite part of this titles has to be the character acting, Lara is incredibly well done in this title, and the voice is fantastically done, a real stunner of a game.
  51. Dec 26, 2013
    Buggy quick time events spoiled much of this game for me. I also didn't like the very dark atmosphere. Did anyone think it strange how many dead bodies there were lying about decomposing in massive piles in various locations? I mean how logical is it that there must have been tens of thousands of people killed and decomposing but how can this be? A remote desert island that an occasional ship or plane crashes into? I think the dead and decomposing bodies were put there to satisfy the blood lust of teenagers who might be enticed into the tomb raider franchise. Its a shame really because there was much I enjoyed about the game, I really felt invested in my Lara and her struggle to survive and keep her buddies safe. I enjoyed the exploration and I liked the combat. But I did find the immersion was broken by the bugged quick time events and the over use of dead and decomposing bodies. Expand
  52. Dec 25, 2013
    SINGLE PLAYER ONLY REVIEW
    If you're expecting this reboot to be anything like previous Tomb raider games, than toss those expectations aside because that is not what you'll get. That's not to say this is a poor game, but it is certainly a change in direction from Crystal Dynamics.

Everything in this game is pretty solid and works quite well, from the story and character development, to
    visuals and sound design. A sigh of relief for the much improved shooting sequences and camera angles as well. Despite this, nothing in the game is particularly outstanding. It's good, but not great.

Some issues for me included the ridiculousness of some scenes. On occasion, some sequences looked like they were straight out from a Michael Bay movie. Lara's constant commentary on very minor details was also a bit annoying for me. I was also hoping the game would make more liberal use of it's platforming mechanics, with more complex puzzles. And while the title 'Tomb Raider' suggests you'll be raiding tombs most of the time, this isn't really the case. More actual tomb raiding would've been nice, though combat sequences are still quite fun.
  53. Dec 25, 2013
    Few games inspire great adventures, this is one of them. Great controls, graphic action (watch out for those spikes when going down the river), and just a fun story. Go buy this game! Now!
  54. Dec 24, 2013
    Although I have never played any other Tomb Raider Game before this, This game is highly recommended by me.
    The Setting, Characters, Gameplay all leads to an awesome adventure with Lara Croft.
    The Game is Superb.
  55. Dec 21, 2013
    Story: 4/10, the story wasn't that good, it was pretty generic and the characters weren't that interesting, except for Lara herself. I think her transition from innocent girl to cold blooded killer was pretty dull and unrealistic.
    Gameplay: 10/10, this saves the whole game for me. The platforming was fast and fluid and the combat really well done and very satisfying
  56. Dec 16, 2013
    Perfect. Crystal Dynamics, and all involved. Thank you for providing one of the best games ever made. This is the best game made in the last 10 years. Its just plain fun and exciting. Story, Characters, Graphics, and Gameplay OMG the gameplay!! I have never played a game so easy to control so fun beautiful, entertaining. I'd also like to mention.. for the PC gamers, I'm not sure how they did it but the game is not overly demanding on system resources. This programing team really has their stuff together. Again.. Thank you. Expand
  57. Dec 15, 2013
    This game is amazing. I feel bad for the devs, since the game didn't get the sales it deserved. Discounted 75% on Steam several times which is how I acquired it also. Let's just hope the PS4 version gets some proper recognition. It is simply the best action-adventure I have ever played, and I've played them all. I live for that genre.
    -The world/level design is spectacular
    -the PC
    ported gfx is flawless and breathtaking
    -the gameplay is so much fun as you navigate all across this island, from intense shootouts, to exploring, to puzzles, to a stealthy ninja.
    -the quicktime events gets your heart racing as you get trown around like a ragdoll in every direction
    And the game is dark, bloody and so brutal it sometimes makes you cringe. Really hope for some proper DLC or a TR2 soon. (Didn't test multiplayer).
  58. Dec 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the best game i have played for a very long time, keeps on surprising with new twists and turns each time after a cut scene. It is a must have for all gamers. People how criticize this game negatively just have no clue what they are talking about, coming from a guy who started on the C64 with cassette deck :D Expand
  59. Dec 10, 2013
    This new Tomb Raider is more like a freaking overextended movie than a video games. What drove me insane is that at one point, like in the middle, it got really repetitive was the same old same over and over again. Like you got in a new area then find some documents, some relics, gps, kill some never ending guys and watch a freaking cut scene! Thats it!!! it repeats for an infinite amount of times and in the end you just play to know whats gonna happen, cause it is no fun at all. But I do have to admit that the art direction in general was good, also the voice acting and some good sound. Overall its kinda enjoyable at the beggining and really tiresome towards the end. Would rate it a 7.5 Expand
  60. Dec 9, 2013
    This game is absolutely amazing! Now if you don't like games that focus on the story and have a plethora of cut-scenes, this game may not be for you. If you like an in-depth story, stealthy combat, a gorgeous environment and raiding tombs, get this game! You will not regret it. I have a hard time putting this game down, I just want to keep playing it. The story will draw you in and you'll spend hours in it without even realizing it. This is an incredible game and is definitely in my top 10, I highly recommend it. Expand
  61. Dec 8, 2013
    Oh..my..God...

This was so AWESOME! First and foremost: No Bugs. Well, its not new, but anyway. i think nowadays even that needs a positive note! Graphics are good! Just the Hair... sometimes they just go... nuts (Tress FX, GTX 780).
    Especially in the beginning the stupid Quicktime "Hit E, left,right Hit F" is annoying, but later gets scarce.
    The Char Dev is very good. Sound is
    superb. Usually i play in english so the bad synchs dont ruin the Game. But this one German all the way! Awesome Job!

Then a bit of history here and there and off you go. Just a experience of all senses that blows you away.

When i think of the Money ive spend on CRAP Games which dont even work im really shedding a tear here that i got this for almost nothing. They wouldve deserved the Money!
  62. Dec 8, 2013
    this game is amazing, the story is excellent and keeps you wanting to play more, and the games long! when it feels like its almost over, youre only about half way through. the world is generally pretty open, and full of treasures for the completionists out there. it kinda reminds me of mario 64 in a way, in that your character is at once familiar, but new abilities are constantly being given to you, although in this game theyre mostly about dispatching bad guys in the coolest way possible.

that brings me to the combat, this game on anything else ive played in years. seriously, lara croft makes batman from the arkham games look like a just awesome, and made every battle really fun.

just top notch start to finish, if you havent played it yet get crackin, its great.
  63. Dec 8, 2013
    First off, I know this game is designed to be played on the console, but I decided to get Tomb Raider on the PC just to check out the awesome graphics. And so it's true, the graphics in this game is absolutely AMAZING!! It's so demanding that I can't believe I had to scale back the shadow quality to 'normal' and use fxaa even when running it with my AMD HD7990. That aside, we all know a game is not just about the graphics. So how does Tomb Raider play out in its gameplay aspect? Well, its actually what you would expect: a very linear and highly scripted gameplay that lacks overall creativity and innovation. It's simply jumping, climbing, laughable combat mechanic, quick time events, and if you're too lazy to figure out where to go, just hit 'q' and it'll show you what to do. It's rinse and repeat. Combined with a lacklustre storyline featuring a younger, less hot and not so badass Lara Croft, this game will easily make you bored of it after the first two hours. Sorry Lara, you know I put up with you for so long, but this is it I think I just fell out of love. It's 5 out of 10.!! Expand
  64. Dec 7, 2013
    Really great game. Otherwise I wouldn't use time logging in here and rating it. I just like everything about it. The story, the layout and how you upgrade things so you have to collect stuff and choose what you wanna be better at.
  65. Dec 7, 2013
    This is a very very great game, I'd love it. But it is not Lara Croft.
    Nice cut scenes, nice BSO, very nice environments, nice RPG-like system, nice story line... but not a Tomb Raider.
    I'd have liked this one if it had been just another franchise, but not Tomb Raider. My score would have been 9, but as a TR fan of the classic games, I'm very disappointed.
    It looks like the usage of the
    Tomb Raider franchise on this title is just for marketing. Expand
  66. Dec 6, 2013
    This is a great game. The graphics are breathtaking, I think the best I've ever seen in a game. The combat is tense and feels natural. It would have been a 10/10 if not for two things: the story and the quick time events. I just hate quick time events, because I think it's hard to be quick enough the first time you play the game. If you don't know beforehand which key you have to mash or hit at a precise time, then you're not going to be able to complete the quick time event. This means you have to play through them at least two times. The biggest con for me, however, was the story. I won't give spoilers, but I was hoping for some rational explanation, not some mythical story which assumes that there is a separate soul which can go in and out people. Who the hell still believes that? Expand
  67. Dec 5, 2013
    As a Fan of the whole game series (played all the games) I have to say that this game was, besides Part II and IV, the best I´ve ever played. Fantastic graphics, a beautiful Setting, a meaningful skill-system, Lara as the inexperienced Explorer and well made cut scenes are just a few positive sites of this game. Only Thing, which is a bit annoying are the Quick Time Events, every time you want to kill an enemy with a melee weapon. But I don´t really care about that. All in one, this game is must-have for all adventurers and fans of the genre. Expand
  68. Dec 3, 2013
    this game is great. it has a good story, amazing graphics, a not bad soundtrack and great gameplay. i had fun playing this game but once you finish it, you will never play it again. the multiplayer sucks but this game still manage to be the best tomb raider
  69. Dec 1, 2013
    Violence and gore pays off. Crystal Dynamics seem to have learned that because Tomb Raider used to be a game that could be played by everyone, especially children. With the insane amount of blood, point blank execution finishers and explicit depictions of Lara's body parts being pierced and cut off by various environmental hazards this game is the first Tomb Raider that clearly deserves a "Mature" (18+) ESRB rating. Even with the acknowledgment that the game's sole purpose is to explain Lara's transformation from an innocent, young and inexperienced girl to someone who could actually pull a trigger on another human being there is no justification for turning her into a blood-thirsty killing machine. So, what should we expect in the game's sequel? Tactical nuclear strikes and kill streaks?

That being said Tomb Raider is a rather enjoyable game. The environments are simply amazing especially on higher graphics settings which have a tendency of making the player stop for a moment and simply enjoy the view. Its clearly visible that game designers spent a lot of time polishing small details which add up to the immersion factor. The audio component is sadly a mixed bag. While some of the voice actors did a really god job the extremely forced accent of Lara Croft (played by Camilla Luddington) is simply annoying. Compared to Judith Gibbins and Keeley Hawes, which voice-acted Croft before, Luddington simply sounds forced and unnatural. The soundtrack also leaves much to desire because compared to, lets say, masterpieces from the "Underworld" OST like "Thor's Room" or themes played during Thailand levels the new Tomb Raider soundtrack sounds simply bland and uninspiring clearly trying only to promote the new main theme. Controls feel okay but there are times when they are clearly too vivid and unpredictable resulting in a lot of unintentional deaths. Combined with the fact that Lara now does a lot of things by herself like crouching (there is no dedicated control for crouch) and reducing her speed when traversing stuff like narrow passages and tombs (there is no dedicated control for sprint)... Well it can be pretty annoying to say the least.

Now we come to the most problematic stuff about the game cinematics and QTE (quick time events). This game is choke full of both! There can hardly pass more than a minute or two in the game without being forced to watch a cinematic or bash the controls like crazy to finish a QTE. At one time I even managed to count FOUR successive cinematics which followed each other! QTEs are a tale for themselves. It really boggles my mind how could anyone ever come to the conclusion that they would be a good way of immersing players into the gameplay. Having a ton of split-second QTEs is probably not a problem on consoles where every button has a specific color so its easier to follow them but when you get less than a second to read stuff like "Press RMOUSE LMOUSE repeatedly" on a PC then that's a real problem.

There is also something to be said about the very anti-climatic ending but venturing onto that ground would probably mean divulging a lot of spoilers so I'll just leave it be. Tomb Raider is a very good game which could have been a lot better if some of the mainstream gaming elements were left out. I just hope that for the inevitable sequel developers decide to tone down those elements and simply get more in touch with the spirit of the previous games by expanding on adventure and exploring. From me personally Tomb Raider gets an 8/10 with a note of letting a lot of things simply slide.
  70. Nov 27, 2013
    Was truly amazing, the only thing I drop a point for is the combat was to frequent, involved more people than one would expect for a ship wreck island, and didn't fit inline with the character development points.

Otherwise as a story run game, it was epic.
  71. Nov 25, 2013
    I think it still remains the best part of Tomb Raider. The game Tomb Raider are emotions, stories, suspense, heroism and cruel. There is one most successful restart for Tomb Raider.
  72. Nov 22, 2013
    The game is very well made. It has good graphics (10 out of 10), it has solid action gameplay (8 out 10). The RPG element is a bit too linear, but it's not an RPG game, but an action game. The combat is a bit too easy even on the hardest difficulty, but moderately realistic. The story and NPCs are a bit boring, I would give it a 7 for the story. Also I don't get this new trend of "find 100 secret things for XP and achievements". It's not just this game but many others. Seriously, why can't a game be just about the main gameplay and not about stupid secret-room searching? Why do we get distracted by "visit this secret tomb to make a very easy task and get a tonn of XP" from the combat that is actually quite fun despite it's simplicity? I have no answer to that. Expand
  73. Nov 20, 2013
    I’m truly blown away by how good this game actually is! Astonishing visuals, smooth movement, no bugs, great combat and great realism! Many seem to have given up on the Tomb Raider franchise, but for me this has been my best gaming experience in quite some time! Personally, I've always loved Tomb Raider games (and always will) but this was such a fresh experience I couldn't comprehend someone not enjoying this title; unless you whole heartedly dislike action adventure games! For fans of the original series (despite peoples pessimism) all of what you loved from prior games is back and no this is not an “Uncharted” rip-off it’s Tomb Raider doing what Tomb Raider has always done; just in a fresh new way! Expand
  74. Nov 16, 2013
    Great game! But the game still feels less involving compared to The Last Of Us. Why? Even with better graphics and framerates, TR's adventure is all about being exploring & fighting all alone. Thus, only Lara's character is properly developed, but not any other supporting characters. TLOU is way more magical as it gets you fully immersed in the relationship between Ellie & Joel. Lara is just Lara. I think we need Lara to start having a serious relationship with someone else, explore caves together & go into battle together. Its more fun with "friends", even if they're AI bots. Other than this lonely feel to this game, the rest of the game is simply brilliant! Loved the highs & lows of the game. Decent length & a good story (unlike the ultra-short piece of crap called BF4). I'm glad the puzzles have been toned down, to keep the story moving. Those who like puzzles can always explore the optional caves. I prefer the main quests to enjoy the story on 1st playthrough. Well, looking forward to Tomb Raider 2! Expand
  75. Nov 11, 2013
    This is a good game, good graphics, A lot of elements, good environment. intelligent a.i. Good puzzles. I recommend this it is by far one of the best games out there. (In my opinion).
  76. Nov 11, 2013
    This is not 'child at play' where a cute girl jumps some ledges.Violence and doll face damsels don't go together always,but TR is something different.Yes, you have to climb rocks and break boxes, but why not, when you can finish off your enemy with the same tool.
  77. Nov 9, 2013
    There is pretty much nothing bad to say about this game except for the terrible multiplayer, which shouldn't even have been added. I grabbed this game on a steam sale not expecting much and boy was I surprised. What a fantastic and thrilling ride. I can't help but compare this to Uncharted, which is quite ironic, since Uncharted was inspired by the original Tomb Raider in the first place. It's the same action packed cinematic adventure, but Tomb Raider is a much darker game which feels quite believable (well, except for the hordes of enemies Lara slays). As you follow Lara on her journey to save her friends, you feel her pain. When she falls, she falls hard, when she's injured, you feel the misery she is experiencing. Watching Lara go through all that hardship is terrible, but in a good way, and that's a HUGE thumbs up to the developers for that. I don't think I've ever played a game where I've been that connected to the character and felt his every move. Expand
  78. Nov 9, 2013
    Not had this much fun and imersive gameplay from a game since Tomb Raider 2. A must for all Tomb Raider fans. Wish the multiplayer was a bit more popular as it is really good fun.
  79. Nov 9, 2013
    the reinvention of Lara Croft could have easily gone completely wrong. Square Enix obviously realized how crucial it was to get this right. I feel they captured the essence of Lara Croft perfectly. I really enjoyed this triple A title as it kept me on the edge of my seat with it's over the top action scenes which in all honesty is quite reminiscent of the Uncharted Series. If you have the option to check this game out I would highly recommend it. Expand
  80. Nov 8, 2013
    The Tomb Raider seriously needed a reboot, and Crystal Dynamics did an awesome job. However, to cater to the new "impatient" and "less hardcore" generation of gamers that prefer "hand-holding" game play, the devs have killed most of Tomb Raider series' essence.

First the Good parts-
    Presentation is flawless, fans will love how Lara looks. Her pain, emotional trauma, the panic and fear
    she feels, is very believable. Never been so connected to a game character before. Lara is extremely vulnerable but she becomes deadlier as the game progresses. Good job.
    The combat is nice, on par with current gen the minor RPG element is present in a very acceptable level. And best of all, NO Leap-of-Faith moments like previous Tomb raider games. Camera work is excellent, which most 3rd person games still fail at accomplishing properly.

The Bads---
    Like i said before, the Tomb Raider element seems missing. This game borrows more from Uncharted series than it does from its predecessors. The puzzles are brain-dead easy, and every secret thing is shown and indicated with obvious symbols like chalk signs. Its like a huge Neon light showing you the way.
    The movement and jumping mechanics are plain bad. This is 2013, where if a character can maneuver mid air like Metroid & Contra of NES era, its plain unacceptable. Sure its not as simplified as Assassins Creed series, but stuffs like stuck in a uneven cliff/terrain and off animations simply doesn't cut it.
    Tomb raiding is added through off mission tomb raiding spots which are clear afterthought, placed there just for namesake. Game should have been renamed "Lara Craft origins" or something, the "Tomb Raider" element is almost nonexistent

An awesome game for
    1) The current gamer generation that likes a game to be a walk in the park
    2) Old TR fans who are tired of the age old game play

A bad game for
    1) Hardcore Tomb raider fans who love challenge and puzzle+tomb raiding element
    2) retards
  81. Nov 8, 2013
    This is the Tomb Raider that fans expected to see.The extraordinary graphics and the wonderful,intense and captivating gameplay are just a part of the features which makes this thing "A must buy game".
  82. Nov 6, 2013
    Overall I liked this game. Good story, good graphics, good control. But I kind a disappointed with the Tress-FX feature. As a newbie, in my opinion, "it's just a hair, why on earth so heavy? nVidia PyhsX can do better than that". I hope next time this feature can do better than that.
  83. Nov 6, 2013
    This is my first tomb raider series. Many kinds of ruins, good graphics ah tressfx is wonderful, and puzzles make game more fun. I'm waiting next tomb raider series
  84. Nov 4, 2013
    Fall in love with TombRaider...

Usually do not succeed remakes...not the case for Tombraider who is probably one of the best games ever created.And for that all respect Square Enix&Crystal Dynamics,really.

I remember the first game Tombraider played...back in time, in year 2000...for that time i was fascinating about the game and i group every year playing TR.I can say i fall in love
    with Lara.I remember first steps, was in the evening of 31 december when i play first time Tombraider...about 2 hours alone and another 4 with a best friend.And so i spent the new year then...don't care about the party, just found it a game call it Tombraider.

Tombraider 2013...what a change, but still, sometimes, i play old tombraider series, for my guilty pleasure.I
    I'm not a fan of new games and throw away old series...no way! Contrary, some new games like RE(another child-start game) are not my style...and maybe for this i think TR is the best remake of a game ever.Undoubtedly.

This game explain HOW LARA BECOME A TOMB RAIDER! And is very great accomplished.From beginning was only a explorer, a simple and naive-scary girl but when circumstances demanded, became an adventurer and...with apologies, a killer-girl of criminals.But only because it was forced...

The new TR is just what a game need to be.Amazing graphics,sound,story,puzzles and challenges.The words are little and poor in this case, you need to see, to play TR to feel.This is not a technical review well, dx11 look amazing this is a heart-touching review of TR.
    And about a compared with...another ordinary game, NO! Would be a blasphemy...remember TR was the first game with this gameplay and all the games who next about TR was inspired by the game TR.

In the final...play new TR...feel all whole evolution-storygame of Lara in a evolution game changed from a good and great game into a ambitious, provocative and sensational game...
    Welcome back Lara Croft!
    Old and new generations of gamers need it!

Graphics: 10+++
    Sound: 10+++
    Voices: 10+++
    Gameplay: 10+++
    Story: 10+++
  85. Oct 27, 2013
    Easily the best Tomb Raider game. There are a mountain of positives and a mole hill of negatives. I've been a long term fan of this series and one of those people that bought the original of PS1. At the time, that was a benchmark game in every aspect. Fast forward to this, the 2013 edition, I honestly feel this surpases the original in every area. The graphics have to be highlighted as a point of reference. Seriously, the level of detail is simply stunning and I don't own a better looking game. Set this to Ultra and you'd think you were watching a movie. The soundtrack, gun noises, attention to detail as Lara moves, the story telling, the cast, the dirt on her face, the wind in her hair, etc this list could go on and on. I'm tempted to give this a 10 because it really is that good. As I often say in my reviews, I do not understand other peoples take on games. How can this game (at its absolute worst) be anything less than a 7??? Seriously, those who hate on this game (or games in general) need a mirror. Sadly, the internet is making 'The World' a place for unnecessary venting. My opinion may not be right, but marking Tomb Raider a ZERO is utter BS. Such a shame that there is so much hate in modern day society. Expand
  86. Oct 26, 2013
    This game is able to display hair very beautifully with a beautiful women/model. It almost looks like each strand of Lara Croft's hair is moving with the rules of physics. If your down with killing hundreds of men with a compound bow and climbing mountains with your climbing axe, well then this game is for you!
    The story is awesome too pretty good length of single player action.
  87. Oct 26, 2013
    This game was a total surprise for me. Having never really been a huge fan of the Tomb Raider series, I was thinking of skipping this one, but hearing so much positive buzz about this title convinced me to pick it up on Steam, and I am glad that I didn't pass it up. Enjoyable game-play and an interesting story had me hooked from the get go. Reminiscent of the Uncharted series, the new Tomb Raider seems to focus more on action than puzzle elements, with the few included puzzles being rather simple affairs, but it's just so fun to play that these little shortcomings are easy to overlook. Superb graphics combined with a very high level of polish and fun makes this game easy to recommend. Expand
  88. Oct 24, 2013
    I don't liked Tomb Raider that much before I play this game, but after, I was really happy that I give it a chance.
    Godlike action with some adventure and role play features, what makes the new Lara Croft to one of my favorites this year.
  89. Oct 21, 2013
    strong storyline and good reboot of lara's adventures, highly recommended! what is more mechanis aren't annoying so you can easily get into survivalist climate...
  90. Oct 17, 2013
    Good game. Against the backdrop of stagnation in the game industry in recent years, this game is like a breath of fresh air. Old Tomb Raider series I was not interested. But the restart of the series interested. The developers have promised a new format of the game. And I want to say this new format came to my liking. The game is 100% live up to my expectations. Spectacular, tough, exciting. It was very interesting to observe the formation of the new Lara Croft, when a cute girl turns into a killing machine, a skull smashes opponents with an ax, bow hunting as Rambo. Unfortunately the plot a little disappointed. Hoping that the storyline will not reach the banal mysticism based on Japanese mythology. Expand
  91. Oct 13, 2013
    technical Issues 10 ]
    ------------------------------------
    Over All 8.9
  92. Oct 11, 2013
    Definitely one of the best games I've bought this year. This game goes from a bold and engaging story to a sense of adventure, action and emotion that pushes one to want to play some more.

Though I dislike the fact that, on PC, TressFX technology really kills the performance of the game if you're running it on a Nvidia graphic card. Just set the hair quality to normal and i runs smoothly.
  93. Oct 6, 2013
    A well needed reboot, this game delivers a fantastic story and great game play with some amazing visuals thrown in. One of my favorite games of 2013.
  94. Oct 5, 2013
    There where frusting elements in this game such as the quick time events, the boss fights where disapointing, the "tombs" simplistic and short, but a fantastic reboot for one of my favourite gaming characters.

Crystal Dynamics did a great job on fleshing out Lara as a believable character, the majority of the game mechanics where well designed and fun, the environments looked stunning
    and worked very well in creating the daunting atmosphere and I loved the sound design and music.

Thanks CD for not stuffing it up and I hope they take on board the many criticisms from the fans without going too far in the opposite direction and lose what made this game so very very good.

Looking forward to the next Lara game.
  95. Oct 2, 2013
    The story for this was excellent, far surpassing expectations, and really allowed character development as well as connection with Lara. The game play while at times is a little fiddly, is generally excellent.
  96. Oct 2, 2013
    I really enjoy this game. The exploration and battle are attractive. Some guys say the QTEs are annoying but that's not true. They are not that many and are easy to pass since you have plenty of time to react. I only find the battle could be more challenging.
  97. Sep 20, 2013
    Is a good Action game. But is a bad Tombe raider game It's juste an other AAA game shooter with too many ads finaly for a generic bad story, a generic Shooter, a generic Game.

Disappointed
  98. Sep 18, 2013
    Extremely good game. The story, graphics, gameplay, sound, atmosphere, immersion, it's ALL there. There is even innovation not the gameplay type, but still, innovation, which in my ratings is a prerequisite for a full 10/10 score. This innovation is the use of TressFX, which on my SLI GTX 580s worked well.

So basically, yes this game is somewhat like the Uncharted series, and that is a
    very GOOD thing. It's still Lara Croft, it's still Tomb Raider, and the types of puzzles we use to see in previous TR games are still to be found, except there's a lot more action, more story, more characters, more immersion, more of all that makes a game good.

Wrexmer is complaining about cut scenes and quick time events. I must say, both of these elements were extremely well done in this game, blending in well with the action and context, they are not disruptive at all. I can imagine some people have an absolute dislike for cut scenes and quicktime events, fine, but if that's not your personal case, then I say, you will love the cutscenes and quicktime events. As a matter of fact, in my opinion, this game has THE VERY BEST quicktime event implementation I have ever seen. So there.

There really is nothing negative I could say about this game. It could have been longer, but only because it is so excellent you can never have too much excellent gaming, right? I clock my playthrough on medium difficulty at 14 hours, which is very decent.

Overall, I cannot say enough good things about this game, it is a SPLENDID release, and for once, fully worth the full retail/launch price of $49.99. I almost feel guilty getting it on special for $12.49. Yes, it's that good.
  99. Sep 17, 2013
    Wow! Great Fun! I saw reviews from a few whiners:
    One fellow was mad because the game was too violent to play with his young children. Sure enough, stick to Nintendo if you want to play games with your kids.
    One fellow whined about cut scenes?!? I found the gameplay to cut scene spectacularly entertaining! It was like I was the main character in a pretty sweet action movie (and you
    should see my boobs). (if you hate cut scenes, press the space bar and fast forward thru it!)
    I played TR one on the PS in 1994... but fell out of love with TR for the PS 2 (Lara took like 15 minutes to climb a ladder- even boobs couldn't convince me that it wasn't wasting my time)

Good to see the TR team back on track!!! I may have to start buying older incarnations to see what I've been missing!
  100. Sep 16, 2013
    To everyone complaining about the cut scenes, start playing the game and stop complaining.
    This game is an artwork and a masterpiece.
    I have bought and played over 1000 games easily and I can compare to all the ones played before.
    No other game has this kind of story line and game play. The graphics are stunning and the cut scenes bring depth to the story and makes you feel like you
    are playing a movie and at the same time make you feel like you are part of the story yourself. (you do not like the cut scenes you can skip them for the whiners here below)

Also I could play many hours without getting frustrated about parts which you had to try over and over again like so many other games which are out there. Well balanced and well polished.

Whilst you play you earn different kind weapons which you can upgrade depending the time you spend finding the necessary pieces.

This is finally a game which uses save points as should, you die you do not have to play another 15 min before getting back at the point where you died.

Yes this is a total different kind of Tombraider (which the developers already mentioned so do not complain about this), almost no puzzles to solve like in the previous Tombraiders, but much more story, action and shooting.
  101. Apr 3, 2013
    There's nothing especially wrong with Tomb Raider. The team have done an admirable job rebuilding the Lara Croft character to be less the vacuous masturbatory aid she has been in the previous games and more a strong-willed female with a story to tell. Still there's not a lot that's different about this game either. The game mechanics are functional, the island everything takes place on is... well, it's monotonous. It feels like you're progressing through the same Jungle=>Cliff=>Temple=>Cliff=>Jungle settings all the way through the game. The opponents you encounter are limited (Wolf, 2 types of human, samurai thing, bigger samurai thing) which adds to the repetitive feel of the game. There is very little variation here, by the time the game finished I was just glad to stop playing, I was thoroughly bored. Collapse

1. Jun 10, 2013
    The new incarnation of the iconic Lara Craft might very well be one of the best games out there right now. [April 2013]
  2. Mar 30, 2013
    Everything you could want from an archeological adventure, except having to press six keys to mantle. [Apr 2013, p.80]
  3. Mar 19, 2013
    While not every promising idea Tomb Raider has is pulled off successfully, it nevertheless turns in a tense and memorable ride that combines modern game design with its forebears’ adventurous spirit in some exciting ways. Some of its missteps may well come at the cost of your enjoyment, but most can’t hope to hurt the adventure in the long run. Although it never fully finds its identity, this is a game and a story worth seeing through.