8.5

1. Aug 18, 2014
    I give a 10 because it brings a fresh gameplay ^^ Graphisms are great too :) I don't have so much time to play and I like the fact that there is things collectable, little hunt, little fights. You fall deeply in the gameplay. It's really not that hard even in difficult mode.

The story seems good. The actors voices are really nice. I've read others review and even it's short, it gives
    you a good feeling. Actually I have fun ^^ Expand
  2. Aug 18, 2014
    A decently entertaining ride.

Tomb Raider (2013) is a full-on reboot that sets up an entirely new origin story and introduces a new version of Lara Croft. And I have to say, this version of Lara is better than the overtly sexualized vixens in prior titles.

The premise is fairly well set up. Your ship is sunk in a typhoon and you and other survivors are stranded on this mysterious
    island. Cliche? Sure. But it doesn't mean it's bad. It does a good job of setting up the atmosphere of the game.

The graphics are extremely good, especially if you've got the hardware muscle to efficiently render the GPU-punishing TressFX feature (dynamic hair physics simulation). With TressFX, Lara's hair is arguably the best hair of any game. But I digress... The environments and atmospheric effects are top notch, and character models are well made. Particle and physics effects are also very good. Granted if you have the hardware to back it all up.

Gameplay is... decent. The gunplay and stealth aspects are solid in their own right, but the presence of the hated quick-time events dampen the experience by a fairly significant margin, considering the over-abundance of QTE's in the game.

In general though, Tomb Raider is a great reboot of the franchise that honestly improves upon it, but perhaps in order to appeal to the current mainstream gamers, quick-time events have made a comeback...
  3. Aug 16, 2014
    One of the best games of all time! For me, it is definately in the TOP 5. The only reason i don't give it exactly the No.1 rank, is i'm originally a strategy fan, and there is a Starcraft 2, and a Heroes of might and magic III, V, and the evergreen Warcraft III. As a TPS, it's No.1.
  4. Aug 13, 2014
    Wonderfully crafted game where you can tell the developers really put their heart and soul into it. Just the natural fluidity of Lara running down the scene looks so life like and non robotic that it amazes. So as far as graphics are concerned it deserves a 10+.The combat and RPG aspect is fun as well and very well done. There is no real open world in case anyone is wondering and the game may be a little on the easy side as far as bosses are concerned. Another aspect that may disappoint hard core Tomb Raider fans are the puzzles are a little bit too easy and unimaginative but I had an easy time forgiving that given the rest of the game is just fantastic. Expand
  5. Aug 11, 2014
    I am an old school Tomb Raider fan and have finished most of the old TR games. Technically the game is amazing and really had the potential to become a great TR. Sadly some critical aspects of it ruined the experience. First and foremost the game is holding all the time the player's hand telling him what to do, where to go etc. which comes in complete contrast with the original TR spirit. And this is only the beginning. The game is overloaded with hundreds of QT E's making it look more like a movie rather than a game and also there are no puzzles at all. And finally this is an overwhelmingly brutal game, feature that I didn't really enjoy. I was definitely expecting a lot more from this game. In my opinion this is a very good game but NOT a Tomb Raider game. Expand
  6. Aug 9, 2014
    At first I was very skeptical about this game, but after spending MANY hours of playing, I have to admit that I have enjoyed every minute of it.
    Sure, after a while you get somewhat tired of seeing Lara fall through stuff, but that doesn't discredit the fun of exploring caves and getting silent kills or engaging plot (well, its not worth an Oscar award, but usually I don't care about a
    game's plot at all.)

Considering it's only 20€ on steam nowadays, it's a must have!
  7. Aug 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not too bad of a game. The gameplay for the most part is good and the story is good too. I think lara's transition from afraid of killing people to lady rambo was a little too abrupt. Also I think they could have cut down on all of the unnecessary "mash e to do this" qtes. Other than that its good and i recommend getting it on a sale. Expand
  8. Aug 2, 2014
    A good, well told and sober storyline. A lot of cut scenes, but well placed, I think. It makes you get more involved, more interested somehow. The way the story is told and presented to you is just amazing.
    Amazing graphics, physics and a fair sound.
    And the most important, and the most neglected matters in most other games:
    Fun and challenge.
    come on folks. It' a game. That's all
    about that, fun and challenge... always were. And this new Tomb Raider have a fair amount of both.
    People should remember that it's a reset in Tomb Raider franchising. With new developers, new writers, new studio... it's the first game (we hope) that attempts to please a very faithful and passionate legion of fans. It may seems exaggerated here and there, lacking a little something sometimes... but OVERALL it's a pretty damn good game, with many thing to improve, we have to admit, but it's still great.
  9. Jul 31, 2014
    After the excellent 1st and 2nd TR in the late 90's I'm coming back to Tomb Raider series after 15 long years and I'm happy to announce that this reboot is very well done in almost every way. Yes, there are some minor annoyances typical for modern games, like QTE, but it's not as bad to be able to destroy your experience here. Other than that I was happy with most things presented in this title, visuals, locations, weapons, gameplay, story. If all reboots were of this quality, this world would be a better place. 8/10 Expand
  10. Jul 29, 2014
    Best adventure action game I ever played so far. Graphics is so amazing using WQHD resolution, control is great, story is engaging, refreshing to see Lara in different attitude than self confident adventurer. Intense combat and sufficient puzzle to solve. Despite its returning to similar location but never reuse same route... satisfactory purchase and game completion...
  11. Jul 24, 2014
    Tomb Raider it's the best game I ever played and I play many games. It has stunning graphics, one of the best campains/story line ever, very good gameplay, and the best of all is when you finish the game prety much free rom and it has multiplayer what is awesome.
  12. Jul 23, 2014
    Will start from the beginning...
    First of all I tried many TR game before, but none of them interested me, I mean they was not my style, genre games, so wasn't expect that will like this game too. But I purchased it (one good man recomended it to me) and after finishing some chapters/missions I noticed that game takes me in and takes me deep inside, yes exactly. First time I played female
    character and feel myself as a main character, every thing around is taking you deep in to its world, cutscenes that synchronously moving in action and vice versa are making you part of all the actions inside, like you are in movie, like you are part of the movie, very beautiful and atmospheric world around you that smoothly changes from peaceful right up to the horror, makes realistic and deep feelings, every thing there is hostile but beautifully calming, whole world is against you here. Didn't expect see so many genre in so harmonious union with each other - Atmospheric, Adventure, Puzzle, Quest, Action, Stealth, Horror, H&S, Survival all with some kind of RPG elements spanning you in after every moment. Game is very active for what I was expecting from Tomb Raider game.
    For me TR becomes one of the best games that I ever played before, I didn't expect so deep and fun gameplay, but one negative thing that I didn't like in, is that game is way too easy for hard mode, but it have its good part too - you can relax and enjoy its deep, interesting and fun gameplay. (It's more like Movie for me more than Game, but anyway as I say before "it's one of the best games I ever played" or "movie I ever watched" ..? Shortly, who cares, it's great so don't miss it).
    Game for me is 10/10, really big + to Developers.
    Also can say that game have quite good optimization, also looks great on tweaked settings.
    One more interesting thing that I find here was Multiplayer very fun, dynamic and action, but sometimes it have a little problems in finding matches, but more often match starts in 20 sec.
    So worth it, game is really Great-Super-Amazing...
    Thank you for reading and sorry for my bad English.
  13. Jul 19, 2014
    About as much of a gaming experience as the original Dragons Lair for Amiga. Mostly a bunch of quick time events is used to let you do things and the camera is locked. Seems like they really rather wanted to make another Tomb Raider movie, but were forced to make a "game".
  14. Jul 17, 2014
    Giving this a Ten, just for all of the extra detail that has gone into this game.
    Extra graphics details in the environments, extra animations and, particularly, the detailed sound.
    All of these little extras all add to the atmosphere, and that has been missing from most games for too long now.
  15. Jul 16, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I admit that in the first place this isn't really my cup of tea, but it had such high ratings on IGN I selected it as one of my free games to come with my XFX video card. You don't play this game, this game plays you. Like most of the other negative reviews, the cut scene / quick time events of this game make far less than enjoyable. I got to a scene where Ms. Tomb Raider is supposed to sneak past a bunch of baddies who are searching for her by keeping to waist level walls as cover, she gets discovered by the head baddie and you have to hit the quick time event just right to survive, I didn't get past this point before giving up on the game, it was the last straw, too many deaths to simple mistakes in QTE are not learning and not fun.

The plot seems like a direct rip off of Far Cry 3, but with a really crappy game engine. Sure glad this game was free, though I wish I had picked something else.
  16. Jul 15, 2014
    Lara emerges as a more innocent, beautiful and younger than the previous games and the game's beauty fascinates us, we will able to see Lara's personal changes by the time and it will be in our control.
  17. Jul 12, 2014
    The game could use a stronger character development. The game doesn't have the most epic story line but still good. Aside from this this game is so freaking awesome. I don't know why ANYBODY would give this a red level score. Take this from a guy that has over 200 games and beaten most on steam and gamefly plus played a lot of more games aside from that. I haven't played other TR games so i can't compare. As a game all together it I've really enjoyed it. I can only think anyone that's given it a bad rep are developers other companies. Expand
  18. Jul 12, 2014
    Not the Tomb Raider game that I was expecting, but since it was more a reboot than a revisiting of the original ideas, maybe turning this game into an Uncharted clone was a fair choice. It still has very good moments where the exploration of the levels is very well performed, but so many combats and annoying quick time events just ruin the rest of the experience. Apart from this, the plot is promising at the beginning, but it ends being a bad joke, so don't take this game too seriously. Expand
  19. Jul 7, 2014
    Tomb Raider has an intense story followed by great game mechanics and fluidity.
    It has a good mixture of combat, puzzling and cinematics. All this combined with appealing graphics.
  20. Jul 6, 2014
    I really want to give this game an 8. But the camera shake in INSANE! Make me throw up. I really wonder if they have a QA team on this. I really love everything else about the game. Beautiful environments, story, fighting engine. But Jeez. Can't enjoy it when I spend half the day recovering in bed from the nausea caused by the stupid camera tracking and shake. I had to close my eyes during cut scenes just to prevent myself from turning green for god's sake. Darksiders II suffered the same issue too. It's' such a pity really. Expand
  21. Jul 5, 2014
    Absolutely gorgeous graphics, and a stunning, creative environment that combines Japanese architecture and design, Russian mercenaries, scrapyard structures and a chilling series of halls, temples and chambers that evoke the very best sense of eeriness found in the Indiana Jones films. Combat is satisfactory, and the puzzles are underwhelming at best, but this game tells a story and does to was stunning visual effects. Expand
  22. Jul 1, 2014
    Tomb Raider is a modern and well graphic designed game. Inspired on adventure and surviving games, it achieves all the expectations of the players! I liked it very much. The story and the plot are awesome! Don´t hesitate to play it!
  23. Jul 1, 2014
    Alan Wake makes similar titles like this seem like poor relatives. Yes i exaggerate a bit.
    Ok, Tomb Raider is a good game with appealing story and intense movie like feeling but it doesn't make any step forward to any sector.
    It's worth a 9/10 because it's one of the most complete titles that makes everything very good. Almost perfect but nothing perfect.
  24. Jun 28, 2014
    First of all, don't know why everyone's complaining about the QTEs. Outside of the intro I found them varied and sparse. Even in the intro I thought they were tastefully done.

But regardless, this is probably one of the best games I've played in a really long time.

Pros: Strong lead w/ good voice acting, absolutely stunning visuals (on PC anyways), tight fluid controls, and great
    animations. Story is a tad predictable but good and engaging nonetheless. Very well done combat. Every weapon has it's situation and later in the game you'll be switching weapons on the fly to overcome the fights. One especially nice moment was after you get your grenade launcher, something Lara yells at the enemies made me smile so much.

I can't get over how well Lara handles animation wise. It's just so... meaty and well done.

No game is without it's flaws so

Cons:
    Some of the voice acting is a little bland, but not enough to take you out of the moment. Outside of the journals I wasn't very compelled to grab the collectables. It is a little funny to hear Lara's nerdy gushing over an ancient artifact in the middle of a gunfight though. Half of the game is on the rails w/ some exploration thrown in there. That might be a con or a pro depending on the person. Regardless it was tastefully done, and the optional tombs more than made up for the more scripted moments.

If you like action games it's a must buy. At the risk of pissing off some fanboys, it's like Uncharted, but better.
  25. Jun 26, 2014
    I bought this game for a measly £3.74 on a steam sale the other day and I am VERY impressed. I was never really into the tomb raider series, after the boob hype from the first game, but I can't recommend this game enough. The first thing that struck me was the performance. My relevant system specs: Nvidia 660GTX (2gb) AMD 4300 (Quad core 3.8ghz) 8gb ram (Valueram) SSD gaming drive My PC is decent, but could be a lot better. I'm used to having the choice between the best graphics and stutter free experience, but this game gave me both. I jumped straight into the game on 'Ultimate' settings expecting to have to turn the settings down but I didn't have to touch them. Gameplay is always smooth, loading screens very short, and the graphics are sublime. This is hands down the best performance/graphics tradeoff I've seen in a game. Metro: Last Light may have been prettier (if that's the right term to describe a post-apocalyptic scene), but it couldn't match the performance of Tomb Raider at any graphics settings.
    After getting into the game and admiring the graphics, however, the next thing that struck me was the story-telling. The first hour or so is a very linear experience, with a gradual introduction to key gameplay mechanics and an unfolding of the basic story that these mechanics are telling. It's not giving anything away to say that you start off as a fairly meek young girl, but the evolution into a hero is executed masterfully. Not too quick so as to become meaningless, nor too slow as to become tedious. Before too long you are equipped with the skill-set required to traverse the island in a dynamic and fun way, and the story entwines with your progression through the island in a way that makes each area a meaningful addition to the game.
    Atmosphere also deserves a mention because, while you gradually become able to master some of the scenes that you find yourself in, my own experience was that I always felt like a visitor to that island. But that is certainly not a bad thing. This is a game that makes you creep round corners in fear of disturbing an unknown setting. My own play-style was one that meant I preferred to weigh up an area before jumping into it, and this game was really well crafted for that. That may not be everyone's cup of tea but if it is then you won't be disappointed by the reward you feel by having assessed a situation correctly. The puzzles, or hidden tombs, are perfect examples of this. While not particularly difficult, you cannot just storm into them without paying attention to your surroundings and expect to win. You need to look around, understand your scenario and maybe even do a bit of trial and error before passing them. The in-game rewards from these hidden tombs are paltry but the satisfaction for completing them (and the atmosphere of the tombs themselves) is enough to make them exceedingly worthwhile.
    The last thing that deserves a mention is character progression, which I felt was just right for an action game. The options for weapon mods and person skills are limited and the best skills are locked behind a 'you need x skills to unlock' tier system. Unless you storm through the game without doing any of the extra tombs, or miss all the salvage available, the likelihood is that you'll pick up most of the skills available in a fairly linear system. In an RPG, this would be a major downfall, but this is not an RPG and theory-crafting would not be welcome here. The skills you learn have a noticeable effect on gameplay but each only in a minor way. The game would not be broken if you choose not to pick up any skills, and on the flip-side, you are not a god by having them all.
    The major issue that people raise about the game is its linear nature, and it's a fair assessment. If that is a problem for you then you may not enjoy the game. But this game is about story and it unashamedly executes that story in a masterful way. You are at the helm of that story but you are not going to change it and this is not to everyone's taste, as can be seen from the negative comments here. A lot of games pretend to have choice in an ultimately linear experience (The Stanley Parable can be seen as an excellent commentary on this, as well as a more visceral commentary on gaming in general), rarely a game may actually present you with game-changing choices. Some of the strongest examples of gaming in recent years, however, recognise the potential to tell a particular story in computer games. Tomb Raider is one of the finest examples of this story-driven genre.
  26. Jun 18, 2014
    Terrible game, nothing really fun about it. Horrible physics, and basic, boring gun fights. Nothing very explorative about this game. This Lora isn't even attractive. Waste of money
  27. Jun 17, 2014
    The amount of things I didn't like about this game can not compare to the things I did like. I'm a big fan of female protagonist games, particularly action adventure games. I was never a big tomb raider fan however, but my god did they make this game blow. Past titles I've played in tomb raider have taken the cake compared to this.

Lara is significantly less badas* than ever before. And
    her main weapon of choice is the bow instead of dual handguns (who decided this I have no idea). There is no way a bow is cooler than twin pistols. You can't even use twin pistols in the game, which is what I believe to be her iconic weapon choice. It's just corn on the cob every which way in this game.

The combat in this game is well. It's boring. It's just like every other bad third person shooter game with absolutely zero substance. You don't feel in control of the character, you never get to do anything cool. Your dodge move is a fast crawl on the ground instead of a cartwheel or roll (unless you tap it twice then you roll, hurray?). The game is littered with QTE that punish you if you press the button too fast, you have to push it slower as if you had downs.

Sometimes the fights are unfair, one time I was in a throne room with enemies coming from all sides and I could only hide behind destructible pillars, while the enemies lobbed grenades and used machine guns. The pistol, not only was it discarded as her weapon of choice, but is also the worst weapon in the game and nearly completely unusable. The enemies come in droves of 20+ at a time, but only 4-6 can be on screen at once.

One of my biggest gripes is that only 4 corpses can be on screen at once. So if you kill 20 guys, you can only loot the four. Which forces you to scramble around like a mouse looting corpses mid fire fight if you want to collect the in game currency (which gets you nothing interesting btw). The entire leveling system is contrived and unnecessary (which is common of main stream titles these days).

Also to be noted your always in danger. You can't even climb a ladder without a strong gust of wind cracking it in half. You almost never feel safe when traversing the world. Although it's meant to be dramatic or something, sometimes my eyes roll when a 2000 year old temple waits for me to show up before crumbling apart, despite being the home of a cult of samurai for the past 1000 years.

Nearly everything is scripted. There are only 2 enemy models. Man and wolf. Later on you fight big man, and sometimes the enemies wear different types of armor (who cares). Was it too much to add a bear to the game, mountain lion, shark, or anything besides wolf and man. Even werewolf, a combining of the two might have been interesting. You just sit there fighting the same dudes with different armors and guns nearly the entire game, and it's incredibly boring.

The story is pretty much nonexistent. There isn't a single plot twist or particular development that matters. Within the first hour of the game you've figured it out. Evil island, Jackass Backstabber Friend, Sun Queen, bunch of guys who want to solve the plot in a completely illogical way.

A major theme is supposed to be survival. But survival is one thing, and killing an army with a wooden bow is a completely different story. The game introduces a ton of concepts and fails to deliver consistently on any of them. Combat, Platforming, Hunting, Survival, Tomb Raiding, blah blah, no single element shines in this game. It's just a mish mashed potato.

So lets wrap this up with what I did like about the game. I liked the fire temple level, it was very well scripted for a scripted sequence and pretty to look at. Most of the game is pretty to look at, and the environments and levels have an interesting design. It offered an average level of entertainment, but was ultimately boring.

So I'm giving this a 5. Because I didn't have fun playing this game but I managed to beat it anyways. I kept hoping it would get better, but it never did.

If your bored or are tomb raider fan it's worth picking up if you have spare change.
  28. Jun 16, 2014
    A great reboot to a franchise that desperately needed it.
    This game reminds me a lot of Assassin's Creed mechanics mixed with a Far Cry theme and survival setting.
    Though the world was open to explore, the gameplay was linear and always pointed you to a specific place or direction. Not much to do aside from the base story other than collect the collectables that we are so fond of in
    games like these.
    However, what it delivered in the single player campaign was a quality, story-driven experience.
    The multiplayer is already completely dead. Could not manage to get into a multiplayer game after an hour of waiting on two different occasions.
  29. Jun 15, 2014
    此PC版使用的好像是介于上世代主机和次世代主机版本之间的中间版本,沿用了上世代主机的主要模型和材质,加入了次时代主机的部分效果,之所以这么做,我想是因为拿了主机厂商的提成吧? 但是很意外,上世代主机和PC版本的女主角比次世代的更好看! 游戏素质出人意料的优秀啊! 电影化的剧情流程,虽然剧情上小有瑕疵,不过整体上很有感染力。 简单硬派的动作设定:站在不平的地方脚的位置也随地形变化,做出防御动作时没有无敌时间,仍可能会被敌人的远程攻击打中,人物身上的挂件也是会根据重力等外界影响而摆动的。 缺点: QTE机械化。 收集品过多,大大影响游戏进展的流畅性。 武器装备升级过多,其中很多不够明显,升级过程中可能会用上新武器,扔掉旧武器(比如我觉得复合弓比竞赛弓更好看,却被直接替换了。),没有可选余地。

某些成就过于复杂,一旦错过某个成就,就得重开存档才能完成,因为游戏通关后地图上敌人刷新极少(或许是不刷新了,敌人是一次性的。)。

有通关后的漫游模式,但是意义不大,敌人不怎么刷新了。没有章节或关卡分隔系统,一旦过关就不能选择重玩某一部分。
  30. Jun 14, 2014
    Após uma série de jogos com gráficos digamos que atrasados, tomb raider 2013 surpreende pelos gráficos e pela história bem trabalhados, tomb raider surpreende neste jogo.
  31. Jun 14, 2014
    The best tourism simulator ever made, and maybe one of the most giant hallway ever made in human's history.

But not only: 25 hours of QTE, cinematics, collectible items, explosions, fights, fire camp, survival instincts, QTE, explosions, arrows, items to collect, QTE, fire camp, DLC, explosions, fights, QTE and uff.. rolling credits.
  32. Jun 7, 2014
    All I will say is, LARA CROFT... EPIC GAME! The game-play is just amazing and the visuals are absolutely stunning...Very very pleased with my purchase of this game!
  33. Jun 5, 2014
    The game is visually stunning with tons of aesthetic ambience, the setting treated as a character is highly developed. Lara is well designed, fun to play, smart and without those awful stigmas from older games.
    But the game is full of AWFUL quick time events and difficulty spikes that are misplaced and unbalanced which drag the game down from what should have been a fantastic game!
  34. Jun 3, 2014
    Straight to the point: This is the worst tomb raider ever made gameplay wise. Every moves are linear and it feels like you are watching more than you are playing. It's a fake open-game that only let you one path to choose, beside some mystic temples aside your path once in a while. When you think about it, does it really differ from past games? Not that much, but still it's a step backward with it's linearity and those infamous Quick Time Events that constantly ask you to tap a specific button, either X or Y so you can see Lara suddenly escape a trap, hitting back some dude by her own without your help. Feels like Shenmue. I don't like Shenmue. I hate it. This sort of gameplay doesn't reward you, it makes you watch while you do absolutely nothing. This is for vegetative gamers that can't move a character by their own. Do you remember the moves you were doing by yourself in the first Splinter Cell games 10 years ago? You could take out a guard the way you wanted, you had to be creative and it added replay values. It was more difficult but it was rewarding, then Conviction game out and it became retarded and over simplified. Press a big WIN button and your enemies are down.. talk about stealth. This is the same feeling I had with the most recent iteration of Tomb Raider. This is why this game gets a 7 instead of a 9. The animations on the other hand are amazingly good, the tress-FX adds alot to the beauty of Lara and the textures are really good for a vanilla game. The music is alright and the voice acting is top class. This game hasn't been praised by it's intelligence and freedom, it has been praised by the media because of it's high-professional execution, whether it's the graphic, the sound but most importantly, the presentation, which is stellar compared to previous Tomb Raider games. It's true that it might feel like an Uncharted game and it's no coincidence, it sells. I'm enjoying it despite the linearity and the dumbed-down gameplay, so should you if you are searching for a non-puzzling game. Yes, there are basically no puzzles anymore in Tomb Raider, it's too difficult to search for a door switch for the new generation of tax-payer. Hope you enjoy this non-biased, honest review. Expand
  35. May 31, 2014
    I picked this game up on a Steam sale and I must say this is one of the best deals I have made in my entire life. Tomb Raider is the best game I have played from 2013 and probably the best over all action adventure game I have ever played. It has a good story, interesting characters, good and intense gameplay (that involves a lot more than just killing enemies) and some sweet graphics. The game however has some minor bugs (such as weard movement of the birds) and design decisions (such as the over-placement of arrow ammunition all over the map) that prevents the game from reveiving a perfect score. Expand
  36. May 28, 2014
    This is one of my all time favorite games. I feel like replaying it over and over again. You must buy it and play it you are missing out if you don't!
  37. May 25, 2014
    In this newer installment of Tomb raider series, we follow the young Lara's first adventure which starts her career as a treasure hunter.

Story-wise, I think this game's content is quite confusing sometime. Unlike Nolan's Batman Begins in which Bruce Wayne became a fighter after years' training, Lara 's growth from a naive college student to an expert adventurer is so quick that it
    makes little sense. I think the developers made the main story first then attached a origin story of Lara on it as a selling point. To me, it would be better making it just another story of Lara, but the stunt of "origin story" may attract larger audience.

The strong aspect of the game is the presentation. This time, Tomb Raider completely abandoned the old gameplay formula and is more akin to Uncharted and Batman Arkham series, but the result, I have to say, is fluent and beautiful. It has none of the movement or camera problems from previous games and everything moves fluidly. The gameplay is great too. Tomb Raider introduced new ways of fighting enemies: covered gun-fighting, stealth killing, and sneaking which eventually makes the game very pleasant to play.

Overall it's still a great action/adventure game with believable world and characters except for Lara's unbelievable transform. I will certainly recommend this game.
  38. May 21, 2014
    Even though many will say this is a Uncharted rip off, it is really well executed. It changes the classical gameplay to a more Uncharted/Resident Evil type, but keep the climbing Lara must do, maintaining that Tomb Raider feel.

I'd break it down this way:

Story: 6
    Visuals: 9
    Audio: 8
    Gameplay: 8
    Atmosphere: 9
    Characters: 7
    OVERALL: 8
  39. May 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have no experience about previous TR-games, so I can't really say much about how this compares to them. In general I liked this game a lot. In fact so much I played it twice, and may play it even 3rd time sometime in the future. Though there are two things that really bother me.

1. "Quick time events" or what the heck those consoletardish "Spam this button till your fingers fall off" things are called. Useless, frustrating, and not really bringing anything interesting to the game play. I recall other games having similar stupidities in them lately. Is this some kind of trend now? There's usually only one possible solution to these, these QT-events could be easily replaced with a decent cut scene. That's what they are anyway, only with hard to time button spamming.

2. At some point all the killing I had to do to make poor Lara survive started to feel a bit disgusting. I mean if she's that young and just finding herself and there's this great survival adventure going on to find away of the island ... and then it suddenly turns into MaxPaynish bloodbath.. It just don't kinda fit to the story I thought this was.. But then I put my brains aside and enjoyed gunning them all down. After all it is quite entertaining to shoot moving targets. I just wish there was a way to play it without murdering everyone.

3. The ancient-magical-mystical-spiritual evil. It's so evil, sooo freaking eeevil it can't possibly be from this world. I guess this is some sorta legacy from the previous TombRiders. It just has to be some kind of forgotten demigod-queen guarded by a battalion of samurai zombies and a cave troll with a 3 meter sword. Oh, the lame hilariousity. Greedy humans just wouldn't be enough. Right?

But despite all that, it's a great, beautiful, and enjoyable game. Just don't try to think about it too much.
  40. May 2, 2014
    Out of all the games I have played, Tomb Raider has the best graphics. Not only is Lara Croft a babe, this game is gorgeous in every detail. There are a few gameplay bugs, but you can just laugh them off or restart a checkpoint. The game is action-packed but I always find it funny how there are conveniently placed zip-line opportunities and ammunition (particularly arrows) everywhere, but it definitely puts you in the game. Expand
  41. Apr 25, 2014
    Things I like about the game:
    Graphically on PC the game looks and feels great. I run my games at 2560x1440 resolution and I was slightly worried frame rate might be an issue in a game like this, however, the game was very well optimised and had good FPS throughout. The soundtracks and typical Tomb Raider theme was very noticeable and it's good to see that they haven't lost the classic
    gameplay that previous Tomb Raider games had. I also enjoyed the choice of weaponry (especially the bow) and overall the storyline was pretty good.

Things I dislike about the game:
    Firstly, the AI are completely stupid. Throughout the game you are completely bombarded by waves of enemies which come in groups of around 7-15 people at a time. The fact that Lara Croft doesn't get killed by the obviously overwhelming number of enemies is beyond me. All the AI seem to do is run at you, whilst a few archers sit back and pop in and out of cover. Enemies are predictable and far too easy to kill. I would have preferred less enemies with harder difficulties. It also seems stupid how enemies without armour require multiple bullets to die, the damage settings in this game seem completely wrong. The next thing I dislike is the voice acting. Lara Croft sounded somewhat awkward throughout the game. I'm British myself and so I understand the British accent very well. There was something about Lara that was almost cheesy in a way. For example, she would often talk to herself to give you clues as to what to do next, something nobody would do. In addition, she seems a bit too confident when in combat. Shouting things like "You won't get me this time!" sounds really corny and any human alive (after what she's been through) would be exhausted and probably a lot more afraid of countless enemies with fire grenades and guns/bows running at you. I also found the game in general to be extremely repetitive. I was rushing through the story avoiding hidden loots and in-game secrets just so I could get the game done and dusted. After a few hours I was bored of the linear temples and climbing obstacles, it just seemed that every time Lara got near an exit, the exit would stupidly explode or something meaning you have to take an alternative route which is another 10 minutes of puzzles and rope climbing...

The game was fun at times, but unfortunately not my cup of tea.
  42. Apr 22, 2014
    Awesome mechanic combined from Assassins Creed 3 and Mirrors Edge. Awesome puzzle like Prince of Persia Series. Awesome QTE like Resident Evil Series. Awesome details, especially in hair. Awesome voice actor for the documents like Metro Series and Dead Island. Awesome face expression. You have all in one package, Tomb Raider!!
  43. Apr 21, 2014
    It's extremely rare I give a game a full 10, but this is it! Combat dynamics, story, variety, drama, this game has it all! You feel like you're in a movie. Graphics are gorgeous, voice acting is top notch, xbox 360 controller integration is perfect, and the pacing never lets up.

If you want a tightly scripted and superbly-paced action game, you need to play this. I can't think of
    anything better. Expand
  44. Apr 20, 2014
    This is one of the best and most fun singleplayer games i have ever played, i love the job they have done on both the combat and the story of this game. Amazing!!!
  45. Apr 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First of all, Amazing graphics. This game deserves appraise it has fighting mechanics like most of the best fps games. Maps are large and open with many tombs, gps caches, trinkets and small finds. The story line is interesting but has a magical ending. I recommend it to all solo gamers. Expand
  46. Apr 16, 2014
    I played the original TR back on the PS1 and have touched a couple of the other ones and was never really that sucked in. This one however is amazing. There is a mix of stealth, gun play, puzzles and story that kept me entertained the whole time. Such a huge improvement that I can't wait for a sequel now.
  47. Apr 15, 2014
    This was easily my favorite game of last year. For anyone who grew up with Tomb Raider on the original PlayStation - this is a must-play game. It is a grittier take on the franchise, and felt a lot like Daniel Craig's "Casino Royale" James Bond origin story reboot in a lot of ways. The graphics and scenes are incredible and kept me in constant suspense / amazement. The only complaint I have is that the competitive multiplayer really felt tacked onto the end and felt out of place in a Tomb Raider game - I would've preferred even more story or some compelling co-op mode option. Expand
  48. Apr 13, 2014
    This is the best action game I ever played.(and I am 30 :) ) Game pulls you inside and doesnt let you out.Finished 1 day and have a neck pain.Thanks square enix..
  49. Apr 12, 2014
    If you are looking for an awesome adventure game this is it. Critics may dislike it because it's linear, but that doesn't stop this from being a great game. The game's graphics are simply beautiful and add so much to the atmosphere of the game. The game mechanics are similar to that of assassins creed, but none of the moves are difficult to master. If you are looking for a game that plays out like a "movie", this is it. Expand
  50. Apr 10, 2014
    An absolutely fantastic games and fantastic controls. I can't tell you how enjoyable playing this game was. I love the weapon choice, weapon add-ons and most of all the bow. The voice acting is top notch. The sense of exploration is great although at times a bit too linear, quick time events could also be annoying for some however I thought they were well implemented. I haven't touched the multiplayer and I have no desire too. This game could have been enhanced by giving the player some more freedom of exploration - the tombs although option were pretty easy.
    This reboot serves as a darker tale for the character of Lara Croft and is an excellent one at that. Great gameplay and a solid story make this a fantastic game.
  51. Apr 8, 2014
    This game was surprisingly awesome. I never played any of the previous games and really had no intention to but this one was available for free as a member of Playstation Plus so figured I would give it shot. This best comparison point would be the Uncharted series (which I love) and I think this game was highly influenced by those titles but they pulled it off pretty well. There are some mind blowing action sequences on par with the best of those in Uncharted.

The environments are beautifully rendered and definitely one of the most enjoyable aspects of the game - the island is just super fun to explore and there are plenty of extras to find. There are some role playing elements to the game and I felt that the skill system worked pretty well and most of the choices were actually useful or just plain cool to see in action.

The story was engrossing but the character dialogue and voice acting seemed a little off (at least compared to Naughty Dog games) but it's still probably better than average. The one thing that seemed a little flat in this game was the combat - it gets a little boring at times and was too repetitive. The emphasis was clearly on other aspects of the game and I wouldn't call this a hardcore shooter so that's understandable.
  52. Apr 5, 2014
    I just started playing this today and finally had to tear myself away for some food and water. I'm am totally
    into this adventure. Best Tomb Raider game ever. The Graphics are amazing and the story line is involving. Best game I have played in a long time!
  53. Apr 5, 2014
    This is the best action/adventure game I have ever played. Graphics were really good (10/10) and the story was good as well (9/10), I really hope there's going to be more games like this one in 2014. I came to realize that games that contain a girl as main character is usually more interesting.
  54. Mar 31, 2014
    I really enjoyed this game bought it day one full price. Pros - Graphics are impressive - Sound design is excellent -sound and graphics create atmosphere as strong as modern day version of original TR should feel -Well written story and characters - Great set pieces Cons -like uncharted the character kills without remorse -level design feels unrealistic at times -no definitive edition patch for pc gamers
    Very impressive title have great expectations for a sequel now!
  55. Mar 31, 2014
    You can play the game only to adore the beauty of Lara Croft . In addition to that if you are looking for a game with great graphics, addictive gameplay ,loads of action,shooting,exploring a lonesome island,along with a mythical story, this is it. Action adventure game epitomized.
  56. Mar 23, 2014
    Good Game,This is one of those games where you get so involved with the character and with the visuals surrounding it. The story line is amazing the sound effect are awesome. The multiplayer is even not that bad I actually enjoyed playing a litle bit of it. I think this is one of my favorite so far this year.
  57. Mar 23, 2014
    I've played every TR except 1, and I've replayed Legend, Anniversary, and Underworld just to prep for it, that's how much I'm into TR.

And here's some unpolished thoughts:

Puzzle-wise it's lacking in scale and coherence--understandably because it's now in semi-open world format, which means open world travel > tomb/confined spaces > open world travel. And this actually hurts the
    immersion you get from tackling long series of great looking puzzles in a grand tomb/ place alone which defined TR. Interestingly, Assassin's Creed's large tombs had given that same kind of immersion to me.

Social aspect is strong, but i just don't know was it helping or hurting the game because solemn exploration and comrade-helping is somewhat contradictory in nature, and either needs a lot of time and content to be memorable. There were too many different characters, and the focus on each of them was scattered and short-lived (except Sam), not allowing any deep memorable connection to develop.

The extras (hidden stuff, journals, artifacts) again were overambitious in that they were all trying to cue the player towards various of lore/ side story that would be interesting, but were not quite resolved.

Enemy placement was unbelievable at times, like spawning from a cave entrance behind which you'll discover afterwards that it's a slide > jump > cling wall place

It's still a good game in that It has good graphics, focused back story, detailed character movements, fluid combat system, and a solid chunk of non-repeated scripted interactive scenes. But again everyone knows that focusing the game's development resources on these things takes it away from other things (in this case, actual playable puzzles and interactive time between characters).

To be fair, given the scope/ experimental stuff they did to the game, this TR could only be seen as a prequel (if there will be any sequel since SE thought they didn't sell enough)

From a player's perspective the game is totally worth it, but critically, it's an experimental TR that misplaced too much of its resources in things that did not define the franchise. The end product is another modern AAA title that doesn't stand out an awful lot.
  58. Mar 21, 2014
    Fantastic job with the game. I thought it was a wise move to make Lara more vulnerable. Nice pacing to the action and story. Well acted and graphics were excellent. I really enjoyed playing it from start to finish. The only small gripe is when Lara dies, the cut-scenes were unnecessarily gruesome. Highly recommended.
  59. Mar 20, 2014
    This game is just as gorgeous as it is fun. I definitely recommend it to anyone on the fence about this game. It's a must have if you enjoy 3rd person shooters. I would go in depth about it, but since there are several thousand reviews already I'll just respectfully place my score and go on to the next one.
  60. Mar 13, 2014
    Played: Dec 2013 PROS: + Level design is quite good: the locations actually feel like parts of an island (the mountain village is especially good) + Several awesome action sequences CONS: - Story is pretty flimsy - Combat doesn’t feel quite right REVIEW: I picked this game up for $10 during steam’s end of year sale, and man was it a bargain! Running this game on a high-end PC allowed me to run, jump, and fight all over beautiful environments in what seems to be a popularized remake of a cult-favorite series. Beautiful environments aren’t everything, though: the prettiest game is still boring if you only move down an endless hallway. This is where Tomb Raider really shines-environments are interesting and varied. Cover is only important until you have killed all the baddies on the island (they don’t regenerate), but revisiting old areas to complete “find x objects” quests is still interesting because of the depth of the areas (most are at least 2-stories tall).
    The other main advantage this game boasts is the number of action sequences. I can think of four sequences right off hand where I literally said out loud “Man, this is awesome!” I’d hate to wreck any surprises by gushing about what they were, but a game that actually manages to be memorable should be worth a few dollars.
    Moving on to what didn’t go well, the story is frankly dumb. Sure the premise is cool: you are on an academic trip to find a long-lost culture and have to survive. Unfortunately the conclusion is pretty obvious from the beginning; the hints that are supposed to lead up to the surprise climax ending really just give away a pretty shallow plot. To their credit, however they at least attempted to fill it out with well-voiced audio clips that you find around.
    My other gripe is combat. This game feels like is was supposed to be about platforming and exploring but somebody said it was boring and a combat system had to be grafted in wholesale. You have four weapons plus some hand-to-hand skills to work with, but this is third-person action as we saw it in the mid-2000s with clunky weapons and occasionally awkward hitboxes. If you find yourself in really close proximity, there is an okay counter system but I found that it was more fun to avoid fights all together, sniping the guards with a bow so I could explore at leisure.
    BOTTOM LINE: This game has its weaknesses, but it is definitely worth your attention, especially if you can find it on sale!
  61. Feb 24, 2014
    Game itself is great. If you have an AMD Graphics Card that can handle the TressFX option, you may get the so-called "Definitive Edition" of XBOX One and PS4. Only the "hair" of Lara will improve as it's the only option that will be changed on Ultimate preset. Overall the gameplay is dynamic and easy to learn, graphics is nice. There are tombs to raid and treasures to look for, its a game that's not going to be over like 12 hours (unless if you skip hunting treasures and tombs).

It's a great game for everyone to have in your games collection.
  62. Feb 19, 2014
    I was so disappointed when I reached the end of the story-line. I didn't want it to be over. I've been going through Tomb Raider withdrawal for an entire week now. The story-line progressed at just the right pace throughout the entire game though, so the "symptoms" I'm currently experiencing are simply an indicator that everything in this game was done remarkably well. No frustrating and stupidly absurd boss characters to beat (but nothing patronizing either), an awesome and immersive story, incredible depth into Lara's character, beautiful and well-directed cuts and cinematics, truly detailed and high resolution world modeling.. It's all fantastic. And the physical detail of Lara's character model? I am so hot for Lara Croft after playing this game, it's ridiculous. lol Nerves of steel, great with guns, a sexy accent, and just the right amount of modesty built in? Now *that's* a potent combination! There's so many physical maneuvers and outrageous (believable, but absolutely outrageous) ledge-grabs that she does along the way that made me say, "Man, that is one crazy-*ss bi*ch!" I would have come up to one of those ones on the antenna tower and been like "Oh f**k no. See ya.." This just made me appreciate her character and role in the story even more though..

And by the way, those who modeled her physical "appearance" deserve special praise in my book. Thank you so much for giving this lioness a believable and curvaceous C-cup, and not some cantaloupe-wannabe triple-Es. The Jolie era of Tomb Raider character models has been overdue to be purged for the longest time now, so thank you for correcting this "malignancy".

Seriously, the next installment of this game can't come soon enough. Phenomenal job, Eidos Montreal and Enix. Please do as good a job with the next one..
  63. Feb 3, 2014
    If you want a ~10 hours long interactive movie, which has average story and enough explosion to make even Michael Bay satisfied, this is your title.
    If you want to play a game which has more game play elements than a platformer from the '90s you should skip Tomb Raider (or wait for a sale).
  64. Feb 1, 2014
    I nice-looking but inordinately shallow third-person adventure game / 'platformer' (*term used loosely). The platforming in the game is very disappointing, even if it weren't a TR game. The game suffers from the infamous modern day video gaming cancer known as "accessibility". Due to the shallow, hand held environment traversal, the game boils down to little more than linear progression through what's meant to be an open world environ, with ho hum shooting segments interspersed throughout. The fully automated cover system destroys any semblance of tension, as it enters cover whenever an enemy is in the vicinity; irrespective of whether they're within the player's view or not. The game is also hampered by overuse of the dreaded 'QTE's' and too many cut-scenes. The violence depicted in said cut-scenes is also way overkill for the TR franchise -- patently done in order to attract a broader [American] crowd. If you want to play Tomb Raider for what made it a fan favourite - platforming, puzzles and exploration - don't play this 'junk food' title. Stick to early Lara Croft adventures. For Tomb Raider 2013 is little more than one cut-scene followed by another linear TPS segment until the end credits. (NB: I did not play the online-only, arena-based mutiplayer component of the game due to the scathing reviews it received.) Expand
  65. Jan 29, 2014
    This game is awesome. I am not a fan of Tomb Raider game but this version of Tomb Raider makes me good hooked to the game and unwilling to let go of my controller :D

The actions are way better. I love the PC ver of Lara, way better facial features compare to PS3 and Xbox (even if the graphic is not as detailed). To enjoy this game, play it with a Windows XBox Controller ;)
  66. Jan 29, 2014
    My first foray into the Tomb Raider franchise was enjoyable. Tomb Raider is a good game that you should definitely check out. It's a third person action-adventure with some basic platforming and puzzle solving.The story is average for the most part, but on the last 1-2 levels the story really picks up and i became much more interested in it. The graphics are above average and the animations are okay, except that there are numerous clipping issues on Lara's basic movements, which is unacceptable. The sounds, music, effects and everything like that are good. The combat is a pretty average, really nothing to write home about, but it gets the job done. The involvement with the environment, and the development of Lara throughout the game is masterfully done. Lara's image will change from a pristine looking young lady in the beginning of the game to a rugged, experienced explorer in the end. Though, Lara herself is also one of the biggest flaws in the game. She just isn't believable at all. This is the problem with strong female protagonists. Females just don't have the physical strength or athleticism to make the actions Lara does believable. I mean, especially for an archaeologist who clearly has never done strength training to be able to pull herself up constantly is just laughable. And the terrible tacked on MP modes. Seriously, not every game needs multiplayer and Tomb Raider is yet another example of a game that would have highly benefited from having no MP mode at all. But on to the biggest problem with the game: The quick time events. My God, they are everywhere. I died more times because i missed a quick time event than I did in all other parts of the game combined. It's pathetic. Why do developers think that quick time events are fun? At the end of the game, right before the credits, it says "We have made the best game we possibly can" If your best game is this riddled with quick time events then someone needs to be fired. Honestly, it's embarrassing. I know it seems like a I ranted about a lot for a score of 8/10. But despite all of these flaws, I really did enjoy Tomb Raider more than most games. Expand
  67. Jan 26, 2014
    The first Tomb Raider game I played after the third one. I didn't expect much and was stunned how beautiful and interesting this reboot of the original was. Everything in this game is very well thought through and very well executed. Visually very beautiful. Great dialog, amazing game-play, and interesting achievements. Great game all around.
  68. Jan 25, 2014
    once you get past the first 30 mins of cut-scenes and quick-time events then the game opens up and will make you feel every emotion Lara is going through. This is the best survivor game ever made and one of the best third person action games ever made too. due to 95% of cut-scenes being rendered in game , the PC version in particular really impress with amazing visuals and the best character models seen to date. Expand
  69. ERB
    Jan 21, 2014
    You guys should play this game.Tomb Raider is an absolute fun game.Tomb Raider is an open world game.In this game you can hunt for food and kill some bandits in the island.Tomb Raider is a beautiful game with It's realistic graphics and beautiful world.You must buy this game.You will really love this game.I bet you will have a lot of fun with this game.
  70. Jan 21, 2014
    This was the biggest gaming surprise I’ve had in a while. I expected a lame rehash from a stale franchise. Instead, I’m happy to announce that Tomb Raider is an incredibly fun and intense experience that has resurrected Lara Croft.

I played the original years ago and while it was fun at the time the formula got old quickly and I could not get interested in the sequels. It was roughly
    90% intricate, drawn-out puzzles & platforming with 10% miserable combat sprinkled in. What they’ve done is rebalance the game mechanics so it focuses much more on combat (which is oh-so-fluid) and the puzzles & platforming are more of a side dish. I think this works because it keeps the game moving along.

For example, there are optional tombs you can raid, but they are very small areas with only one puzzle that won’t take you more than 10 minutes to solve. This is a little disappointing, I’ll admit. I would like to have a little more meat to the puzzles, but I will take the short ones over getting bogged down in a 45-minute labyrinth.

RPG elements have been introduced, as well. There is a lot of optional stuff you can do in this game which will yield experience to make Lara stronger through special skills as well as finding “salvage” which is used to improve your weapons in certain ways (more damage, less recoil, etc). Special journals can be found, too, which help to unravel the mystery of the island you’re on.

Another brilliant touch is how they’ve tweaked exploration. Each area has several sets of secrets to uncover but you don’t have to find them all before you move on (some will require items you don’t have yet, anyway). You discover campsites as you play and can fast travel between them. This lets you focus on having fun instead of feeling obligated to gut an area’s secrets right away to avoid a lengthy backtrack to an earlier area. It makes things so nice.

The game is gorgeous, too. Environments are beautiful & smartly designed so they feel very open with lots of nooks & crannies to peek in and usually multiple paths to traverse around obstacles.

As I mentioned earlier, combat is fluid and thrilling, the exact opposite of how it was in the original game. Head shots with fire arrows never get old, and the AI is smart. Ranged opponents will throw fire bombs to flush you out of cover or shoot guns at you while melee opponents will zip line in to close on you. And there are so many gratifying ways to kill them. Stick an arrow shaft through their neck with your hand at close range, dig your climbing axe into their back for a stealth kill, hit a guy right as he’s about to throw dynamite resulting in a friendly fire explosion, etc.

The story is very good, too. Games rarely make me want to play to find out what happens next anymore. Usually the story is something bland & serviceable to keep me level grinding. I really like the narrative in TR, though. Quite unrealistic, of course, but still enjoyable.

And if you’re concerned, keyboard & mouse controls work just fine. This is not one of those sloppy console ports that is unplayable w/out a gamepad.

The only knock I have against this game is the use of quick time events. QTEs are something I want to see go away and never come back. I am tired of the “press E to awesome” gameplay mechanic. However, Tomb Raider doesn’t rely too heavily on them and they are at least presented in a very dramatic way, so don’t listen to any commenters saying the game is nothing but cutscenes & QTEs. The beginning is admittedly slow and has a lot of them, but that’s because you haven’t gotten your weapons yet. Once you get armed, you encounter them a lot less. The QTEs don’t ruin the game and only end up being a very minor annoyance.

There is also the obligatory multiplayer mode that all video games are apparently required by law now to include. I don’t know anything about it and I will probably never play it. It’s an extra thing if you want it, but know that the single player campaign is not lacking at all.

If you like action games, you should definitely pick this one up. Tomb Raider had lost several steps over the years but is now running like a more polished version of Playstation’s Uncharted series, with better combat & storytelling. A very nice surprise that is worth your attention.
  71. Jan 20, 2014
    QTE ruined it. The game is kinda good, with a lot of nice ideas and a good design. But then you watch the same cutscene over and over again, because you didn't press a key quick enough. It a shame, really...
  72. Jan 18, 2014
    [TombRaider on SteamPC Score 9 ] Truly a great Reboot and a must for Fans of the TombRaider series. This is the perfect update to the TombRaider franchise with all the run and gun, the platforming and the puzzle solving you loved in the previous editions but with Gorgeous 3D modelling, atmospherics, physics, water and more. A perfectly balanced and highly enjoyable 36 hours of fun just waiting for you….. add to cart : )) My only regret is that there is no advantage to Solo Replay; finishing unfound collectibles is fun but very short. Multiplayer is available but you will need to look up a review elsewhere.

[Released] by Square Enix and ported to PC by Nixxies: yeah Nixxies did good work and you should enjoy it. Nixxies did however screw one thing up: Remapping primary key bindings is possible but the alternative secondary key bindings just screw up and then screwed up the on screen instructions. Tolerable but just plain poor programming on somebodies part… NB: This is not a game breaker and should not affect your decision to buy this game because this game really is Fantastic, I just wanted Square Enix and Nixxies to know that this looks bad for them. I enjoyed every second of this game otherwise.

[DRM] Steam only, thank goodness there is no GamesForWindowsLive / Origin / Uplay on this title, I did not have to create an alternative account. [Story] is a prequel to all the Lara Croft adventures…young Lara Croft, a little more helpless, a little more emotional, and sometimes a little too whiny. Character dialogue is immature especially with NPCs, who wrote this balloney? [Saves] Automatic saves as they should be. Perfect. Manual saves as usual.

[Bugs] None that I am aware of….except the key binding fudge. Digital fudge.

[Graphics] Default settings were to heavy on the post processing…. Even though my PC was flipping 60 FPS the depth of field effects and other sh*t was too much. I cut back a lot of the effects and it looked great; sometimes Less is More, and this was it.

[MyPC 2011] i7-2600K 3.4GHz / ASUS Z68 ProGen3 / 8G RAM / Radeon 6870 / W7 PRO SP1 / Samsung 275T @1920x1200 / Logitech G15 / Kensington ExpertMouse / Sennheiser HD600

[MyFavorites] [NowPlaying] BrokenAge [Win7] TombRaider Dishonored TheKnifeOfDunwall TheBrigmoreWitches TheDreamMachine Ep1-4 30FlightsOfLoving Fez BioshockInfinite Antichamber Stacking Metro2033 Rochard Crysis&Warhead&2 JustCause2 Rage [XP] Papo&Yo DeuxExHR&TheMissingLink DeadSpace1&2 Fallout3&NewVegas HalfLife1&2 Bordelands1&2 BatmanArkumAsylum AssassinsCreed Magicka RedFaction Portal1&2 FromDust MrRobot Sam&MaxSeasons1&2 CulpaInnata TheSecretOfMonkeyIsland DreamfallTheLongestJourney Syberia1&2 CrayonPhysicsDeluxe DefenseGridTheAwakening PlantsVsZombies Prototype Bioshock1&2 UnrealTournament3 Quake4 [360] AfroSamurai BrutalLegends [XBOX] HALO KOTOR1&2 Crackdown ArmedAndDangerous AggressiveInline BeyondGoodAndEvil DeadOrAlive1&2&3&ExtremeBeachVolleyball Psychonauts [AppleG4] FullThrottle DeusExMachina ONI ReturnToZork Suspended UnrealTournament TombRaiderSeries

[Born] 1964 [PS: I do not know anybody who works in the game industry ~ I just enjoy games : - ]
  73. Jan 16, 2014
    This is one of best game i ever played lately. Scenario is gorgeous the sound effect are awesome. The multiplayer not bad I enjoyed playing a litle bit of it. This is one of my favorite game now
  74. Jan 12, 2014
    Let's start with what's good about the game:
    -Lara is a better character than ever. She's pretty but she's not a bimbo, she actually has some clothes on, which is sadly rare in videogames nowadays. She's smart, but she's not the nerdy scientist cliché. She's courageous but she's not some kind of dumb female rambo but she's still vulnerable without being the usual annoying damsel in
    distress. Overall she's a very likable character.
    - The environnements and overall graphics are pretty nice.
    - The writing is interesting, even though the storyline isn't anything special.

That being said, here's what I don't like about the game:
    - The gameplay is just downright terrible, Lara's control feels very clunky, there's QTE's all over the place, the combat mechanics are just horrible, the game allows you to take the stealth option only when it's not important to do so, otherwise it throws waves of dumb enemies at you.
    - The camera does a lot of forcing its pre-determined angles on you.
    - The animations are among the worst i've seen, and for some reason, the other animations in this "worst" categories are also from Square Enix games.
    - A lot of Hitman Absolution assets have clearly been re-used in this game. And Absolution itself was already terrible.

Overall, it's enjoyable at times, but it would have been better off as a movie than as an actual game. And that's actually how the game feels, an interactive movie you actually have very little control over.
  75. Jan 9, 2014
    The positive: great graphics, nice controls and playability, female hero, was really fun to play the first half.
    The negative: ludicrous story, and here and there unnecessary violent and bloody, becomes too repetitive after the first half of the game (I lost interest and never finished).

I wished that the developers could have focused more on puzzles, survival and story rather than
    forcing Lara to become a simple killing machine. For instance, it would have been nice elaborate on survival skills, hunting, building shelters and so on. This part exists in the game to some lesser extent, but is never really required for finishing. Expand
  76. Jan 8, 2014
    This game takes inspirations from uncharted series and has some of the most breathtaking scenes seen in games.Combat and controls are easy and quick time events don't feel forced.Soundtrack and voice acting is just amazing and while others characters don't feel well made,it is Lara croft that shines like a star.Exploring is more physics based than with riddles and while there are a few you really wished there were a few more.The only bad thing about the game was the unnecessary multiplayer put into the game. Expand
  77. Jan 8, 2014
    Square Enix's rebranding of yet another Eidos franchise uses the same design philosophy as Hitman Absolution. The focus is almost entirely on producing a very high quality title, regardless of innovation or sophistication in level design. The game engine is incredible, offering not only amazing graphics, draw distances and of course, hair, but also realistic destruction, superb controls and realistic AI. Tomb Raider showcases some of the best practices in game programming and doesn't make any mistakes in this department. From intuitive controls to excellent combat mechanics, including an automated cover system. Although you have to always aim first before firing, the shooter sections are genuinely intense and provide a challenge on the Hard difficulty setting. The platforming mechanics and movement animations are meticulous and fluent. The instincts button is very helpful for identifying objects of significance and hints on what to do and where to go so as to minimise frustration. The checkpoint system is perfect, the ability to fast travel will make for some more enticing replay value and best of all, you are rewarded for exploring. Tomb Raider is an extremely linear game, and everything is scripted with a few (not annoying) QTEs and predictable movie-style cliché cutscenes. However, despite the almost automated progression, Tomb Raider will reward those that take the time to explore the extremely detailed environments and optional tombs with both direct gameplay benefits as well as some more backstory. The upgrade system is simple but not tacked on. You don't NEED to buy anything, and the whole game is very simple unlike most RPGs. There aren't a billion different skills and currency types and meters. Whilst this is preferable for non-RPG players like myself, it does lack depth and it would be nice if there was more player involvement and an opportunity to use the weapons. After all, it is a survival game so it should at least depict this in gameplay. The story and character development is OK but could be a lot better. The multiplayer has an interesting game mode with "Cry for Help", and the progression, weapon balancing, perks etc. are well balanced (minus shotguns, which are underpowered), but the quality is not comparable with that of the single player, with a few bugs and laggy matches aplenty. Overall, Tomb Raider is a true adventure game which tries to appeal to the casual audience. It is the kind of game you recommend to a non-gamer and the emotionally sensitive. Although Tomb Raider is a shining example of game quality and practices regarding collectibles, mechanics etc. and has mainstream appeal, hardcore gamers will find more enjoyment in other titles with greater depth and more gameplay-orientated, player-driven approach such as Far Cry 3. If you're looking for a modern adventure game though, Tomb Raider is by far the most polished and appealing even to those that don't like the genre. Expand
  78. Jan 7, 2014
    I really love this game. The graphics and the environments are marvellous (especially if you can max them out), gameplay and combat are very enjoyable, so are exploring the island, the tombs, or finding relics...I really like Lara's character, she's more of an average girl forced into a hostile world instead of the somewhat unrealistic and "bloated" character of the past.
    Just a couple of
    cons: the campaign is too short, too many quick time events, and also didn't like the supernatural element in the story, it seems out of place.

However, it is definitely a must have.
  79. Jan 5, 2014
    This game is extremely shallow. It boasts that there is character development throughout the game, but the character changes immediately after the 1st scene. The action sequences are cheesy. The story line is awful.

The gameplay mechanics are actually fun, but for me, the story was so cheesy and predictable that it disrupted any sort of value it could have had.
  80. Jan 5, 2014
    The technically far superior version of the game (till the Definitive edition arrives) is every bit as good as its other versions. This is one suberb game, one of the finest of 2013 and of its generation. The PC version really looks the part and is till now of the best-looking games on all platforms.
  81. Jan 5, 2014
    This was actually my first introduction to the Tomb Raider series, which may influence my take on the game since I haven't been playing them since '96. I really enjoyed this game, a lot, but that is not to say it isn't without it's flaws, it has a few, but I just really enjoyed the game, and I hope that the sequel addresses the shortcoming of this game. I played it on PC, so some of the shortcomings in gameplay may be due to the porting from console to PC.

Storyline: It was admittedly simple and a little far fetched, but you didn't need a complex story if it was told well, which I think it was. Yes it could have been better, how this island is so lost, and nobody seems to understand the fact that it's a death trap despite the apparent almost daily shipwrecks (as suggested by the sheer number of fresh corpses)? The plot wasn't so bad, and I liked that finding bits of the puzzle in artifacts and journals filled in what was going on. Some of the things that happen to Lora seem a little over the top, and some of the wounds she suffers during the game clearly would have become life threatening very quickly, yet somehow they are dealt with quite easily and never cause trouble again.
    The characters could have used more development, but I did feel some emotional attachment to some of them, I just wish they had a bit more depth and played a bit more of a part in the game. The prologue comic helps a bit.

Gameplay: There were elements of the gameplay I loved, and elements I hated. The movement was good, it was fluid and fairly intuitive, most of the time the camera angle was good and I could make the correct moves, but there were some times where the camera did not give me the necessary view and it was a guess as to where I was going to end up.

The first person aiming of weapons was a very good decision, I was able to quickly switch from third person, to an over the shoulder view with a first person reticle that switched my movements to first person, allowing me to aim at what I wanted and run backwards, strafe, etc. This was brilliant, and all I'd ask for is that zoom give me the actual weapon sights instead of just zooming in a bit. The weapons themselves could have used improvement, they lacked realism, which to me is important. The bows needed realistic trajectory, firearms didn't exhibit bullet drop, only suffered from a fixed range. A better variety of weapons was needed, my only choices were what to upgrade with my salvage. I would have preferred my choices to include a variety of different guns, and matching ammunition, but then I have been spoiled in that regard by the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series.

Melee combat was a little difficult for me, probably due to my relative inexperience with it, and the porting process taking something designed for a console controller to a keyboard, making it very clumsy. Having played the game and finally gotten a better understanding of it, and getting a mouse with extra programmable buttons, I think I could do better with the melee fighting now. The moves were cool and when I could get what I wanted to happen work, it was pretty neat.

The game really requires you to search around and make sure you find everything. Many of those items and journal entries do a lot to explain the story. This is of course a good thing.

The dreaded quicktime events, there were a few, they were annoying. I almost didn't buy the game after reading some negative reviews that complained about them. The quicktime events weren't that bad. They weren't that good either. Some of them took a few tries, then I made it past and continued enjoying the game. The problem was that for the PC, it was sometimes a really clumsy combo of buttons to press at very exacting moments. A tiny fraction of a second before or after the icon lights up, and nothing happens. Exceedingly frustrating. Thankfully there were fewer of them as the game went on, and I hope the sequel sees even less of them.

Aside from that, the gameplay and combat were a bit easy. Hard was not that much of a challenge. A handful of enemies could usually be dispatched quickly and easily, although the bow made it quite fun. The puzzles were a disappointment, while sometimes what I needed to do wasn't readily apparent, once I saw it, the puzzles were very simple. If you use the survival instincts to get hints you'll make it really boring.

Level design and atmosphere: The level design was very good, albeit linear. But I had fun exploring and everything was beautiful. Each location had something interesting to offer, and was constructed well and logically. The atmosphere was great, the feeling of isolation, vulnerability, and loneliness, contrasted with this huge beautiful world and the number of dangerous enemies, created a unique feeling, similar to my favorite, the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series. The music was minimal, but good, it matched the atmosphere, never overpowering the environment, I thought it was just right.

Overall, it has become one of my favorites
  82. Jan 2, 2014
    A good game completely ruined by the archaic use of quicktime events. And not just quicktime events but quicktime events where the key you need to press changes and they don't bother to tell you what the new key is. Absolutely not worth the money.
  83. Jan 2, 2014
    Amazing game with amazing atmosphere.
    This game has a lot of amazing features new and shine's light on to the Tomb Raider franchise. Quick Time Events are in the game but they aren't as frequent as you may think, The game play is slow at the start but after the first or second mission really picks up.
    I recommend this to fans of the series and also people who like third person shooters
    and give it a try. Expand
  84. Jan 1, 2014
    Let me start by saying that even back at the 90's i was saying that the Tomb Raider series is just some hyped rubbish.
    On the other hand Legacy of Kain series IMO is the best game series ever made (by billion miles away from anything else).
    This Tomb Raider though has nothing to do with the old rubbish series, this is a proper Crystal Dynamics Game. (even though that some members from
    the LoK Series arent in CD now)

Honestly Tomb Raider is better in everything than all 3 uncharted games combined.
  85. Jan 1, 2014
    Excellent game. I didn't find the characters and story as intriguing as other players did, but it still holds up very well. It follows a different formula than the old school Tomb Raider games, and in a good way. The controls are excellent and you'll never run out of action.

The only negative thing I have to say about the game is the quicktime events. Some of them are done well, but a
    lot of them are very rushed and you may find yourself dying over and over until you get them right. Expand
  86. Jan 1, 2014
    I won't lie, this game was linear. I absolutely hate linear games, but I paid 30 usd for it so I gave it a go. The game was so much fun I had trouble putting it down, played all 10 hrs I have into this game in four or five sittings. While it was incredibly fun, it was annoying at the same time. Here is my list of most disliked things 1. It is darn near impossible to find enough parts and salvage to upgrade all the weapons and equipment to full levels.
    2. Very linear, there is a certain path that you must take,and there are very few options if that isn't true.
    3. Button mashing, I about ruined the 'x' key on my keyboard from all the button mashing I had to do in order to get through this game.
    4. The format of cut-scene after cut-scene and designated save points appearing were frustrating, It led to me knowing when a certain fighting area was over or to prepare for the next bit, it left nothing to be a surprise or to my imagination of what was coming up next.
    5. Basically 0 replay value unless you are the kind of person who likes to collect pointless little bits from all over the playable area.

My favorite parts:
    1. I thought the story was very well developed and quite cool and interesting.
    2. it looks utterly fantastic.
    3. The controls were well thought out and key-bindings easily changed if you disagree with me.
    4.It stayed mainly true to my perceived concept of a tomb raider game, fun puzzles, good level navigation (climbing), and a great story related to some ancient civilization and the supernatural.

I give it a 6/10 for the fact it was wicked fun and very good looking, but was linear had some silly gimmicks and game-play mechanics and has virtually no replay value.
  87. Jan 1, 2014
    Firsdt of all i must say it's my first 3rd Person adventure of this kind (free camera positioning and shooter elements) i ever played and the surprise was a very positive one.
    I recommend playing this even the shooting scenes with Gamepad, since it's more handy for climbing, jumping and exploring the area. It was designed for Xbox360 controller but i'm sure others will perform as well.

As i'm a user of nVidia GTX 670 i am limited to 40fps since the game is hungry for recources but AMD cards should work much better.

Now to the Pros:
    - Excellent Graphics
    - Catching Storyline binds you to the game
    - You can switch actually between mouse+keyboard and controler by pressing any button
    - Not too hard to master but has a good learning curve
    - Nice detailed World with lot's of small treasures to find
    - It's as far as i played the missions bug-free
    - You won't miss out important stuff if you run through the world and explore the extra tombs later but it lwill make the gameplay just much more easy if you do explore everything.

Neither good or bad:
    - Sometimes enemys are triggered by moving at a certain spot and can be avoided if you have a good gaming instinct. They might apear as well on cleared spots where they can not have passed you during the gameplay.

now to the cons.:

- Excells only with AMD graphics (technology for her hair is built like that)
    - I had 2 times a game crash during 15hours gameplay but it might be a problem on my PC
    - Quicktime events affect the impression of a fluid gameplay, but they are not as disturbing as in Battlefield 3 and you actually handle them more easily.
    - Some cutscence are a bit too long and sometimes i feel like watching retards just blobing into a epic trap fails. I mean Lara sometimes could just take out the gun and mow them all down, instead of getting nearly killed. Sometimes traps are so obvious i wouldn't make the mistake she does.
    - Lara is as bit overpowered jumping off >20m heights and not breaking a single bone but hey it's a Game and no simulation. Falling might be not deadly enough...

I still haven't tested multiplayer but i loved killing rats and birds as well as the scavenging :D
  88. Dec 30, 2013
    Tomb Raider is a game I picked up on sale, not really knowing what to expect. What I got was a great experience. The visuals are stunning, the audio is masterful, and the gameplay is very fun.

However, the story was fairly weak. How am I expected to believe that this is her "becoming a survivalist" story when she murders roughly 300 people per second and survives beatings and falls fit
    for a super-human? It really should have been toned down A LOT. The actual story is interesting, but most of the characters aren't. There isn't much character development, either.

I am willing to look past these flaws and acknowledge this great game. One of the best this year, and i'll certainly be playing the sequel.
  89. Dec 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very good graphics, and near "human like" character animation for Lara. You see the team worked hard to devise a product worthy of the Tomb Raider franchise and make a good game overall, but why some game developers think that quick time events are the smartest and coolest things to put on a game? QTE sucks, fact! As for combat, both from character perspective and AI, it's not that challenging really. For example, no matter how much you upgrade your weapons, they'll kill just the same. I mean, it doesn't get more difficult as you go, the enemies remain the same. The enemies by the way, they really are as dumb as the documents you read about them reveal. They either run straight to you, or take cover leaving their heads sticking out. As for the weapons, bow and arrow is reeeeally boring, and the devs could really have given Lara a pair pistols instead of just one. That would be really cool. They gave that in the very last minute of the game, which was very disappointing... why didn't she get that from the moment she found the first one? Yes, because there seems to be and endless supply of weapons and ammo in that island, so why not? And what about plotholes? What's with the gazillions of corpses everywhere? For that amount of corpses, you'd imagine there is a airliner or a holiday cruise ship crashing into the island every five minutes... Not to mention that the survivors are all men! What, women are not tough enough to survive? Also, concrete structures and labs? How did they get all the materials and equipment into the island, if everything that gets close to it is smashed to bits? Overall, apart from a few glitches, QTEs and plotholes, it's quite a good game, although it's got no replay value at all, especially if aiming to complete 100% of all maps in the first playthrough, as I did. Do I recommend it? Yes, but only for the right price. I got mine for 10 on sale, so for the 30+ hours it took me to complete it, it was well worth it. Expand
  90. Dec 27, 2013
    The old Tomb Raider games are average at best in my opinion, so this game came as a surprise for me. It has everything a good adventure needs and is a little more realistic and serious than the original games, which makes it so much better. The only bad thing I can bring up are the quick time events.

Best remake of a video game series and one of the best games of 2013.
  91. Dec 27, 2013
    This is a good game but not a GREAT game. the reason being that you are lead by your nose though the whole adventure. You never have to do much thinking yourself as the puzzles are extremely basic and all ledges/climbable walls stick out like a sore thumb pulling you out of the game. Bright white rope that you can attach to, bright white ledges just bring home that you are in a GAME not a 'world'. It feels a lot like Darksiders actually.

My last point is there really isn't much tomb raiding going on here. The tombs are all single room puzzles and are generally quite basic. A real pity that developers can't throw some more difficult stuff into the optional tombs.

Luckily the plot and desire to see what happens should get you through the game. The beginning and end are very good. its just the middle that suffers from "you are an idiot and we don't trust you to play the game yourself" syndrome.
  92. Dec 27, 2013
    I greatly enjoyed this game. I was emotionally involved in everything Lara did which ranged from killing her first person to truly becoming "Lara Croft" as we know her. But, as is becoming a recurring theme with all of my reviews, I must state a few issues. The combat is mostly solid so lets start there. Running around in third person and busting baddies' armor off is truly an addicting experience, especially when it's combined with a great progression system where you choose which weapon you specialize in. One issue is that it feels slippery, the targeting system is lackluster so nothing feels really solid. Speaking of slippery, the platforming can lead to a bunch of cheap deaths because of odd momentum mechanics which make you feel like your "slipping" off of edges a lot of times. Towards the end of the game, most of the platforming mechanics felt old; especially the climbing pick-ax because it's speed is underwhelming to say the least. Overall, if you're going to play this game, then play it for the excellent acting and writing but do not expect an overly phenomenal gameplay experience. Expand
  93. Dec 26, 2013
    As a big fan of the Series, i was skeptical about the new game, as it goes a totally different way in terms of gameplay, however i was incredibly wrong.

This game made me feel like i was actually in the game, the sound, the level design, the art direction, it is so beautiful, then in comes the actual gameplay, whilst it starts off a bit generic, it soon opens up to be so much more if
    you are willing to give this game the attention it so does deserve.

The Tombs gave me the nostalgia i crave from the older games, whilst the rest of the game offers a more complete and detailed game.

My favorite part of this titles has to be the character acting, Lara is incredibly well done in this title, and the voice is fantastically done, a real stunner of a game.
  94. Dec 26, 2013
    Buggy quick time events spoiled much of this game for me. I also didn't like the very dark atmosphere. Did anyone think it strange how many dead bodies there were lying about decomposing in massive piles in various locations? I mean how logical is it that there must have been tens of thousands of people killed and decomposing but how can this be? A remote desert island that an occasional ship or plane crashes into? I think the dead and decomposing bodies were put there to satisfy the blood lust of teenagers who might be enticed into the tomb raider franchise. Its a shame really because there was much I enjoyed about the game, I really felt invested in my Lara and her struggle to survive and keep her buddies safe. I enjoyed the exploration and I liked the combat. But I did find the immersion was broken by the bugged quick time events and the over use of dead and decomposing bodies. Expand
  95. Dec 25, 2013
    SINGLE PLAYER ONLY REVIEW
    If you're expecting this reboot to be anything like previous Tomb raider games, than toss those expectations aside because that is not what you'll get. That's not to say this is a poor game, but it is certainly a change in direction from Crystal Dynamics.

Everything in this game is pretty solid and works quite well, from the story and character development, to
    visuals and sound design. A sigh of relief for the much improved shooting sequences and camera angles as well. Despite this, nothing in the game is particularly outstanding. It's good, but not great.

Some issues for me included the ridiculousness of some scenes. On occasion, some sequences looked like they were straight out from a Michael Bay movie. Lara's constant commentary on very minor details was also a bit annoying for me. I was also hoping the game would make more liberal use of it's platforming mechanics, with more complex puzzles. And while the title 'Tomb Raider' suggests you'll be raiding tombs most of the time, this isn't really the case. More actual tomb raiding would've been nice, though combat sequences are still quite fun.
  96. Dec 25, 2013
    Few games inspire great adventures, this is one of them. Great controls, graphic action (watch out for those spikes when going down the river), and just a fun story. Go buy this game! Now!
  97. Dec 24, 2013
    Although I have never played any other Tomb Raider Game before this, This game is highly recommended by me.
    The Setting, Characters, Gameplay all leads to an awesome adventure with Lara Croft.
    The Game is Superb.
  98. Dec 21, 2013
    Story: 4/10, the story wasn't that good, it was pretty generic and the characters weren't that interesting, except for Lara herself. I think her transition from innocent girl to cold blooded killer was pretty dull and unrealistic.
    Gameplay: 10/10, this saves the whole game for me. The platforming was fast and fluid and the combat really well done and very satisfying
  99. Dec 16, 2013
    Perfect. Crystal Dynamics, and all involved. Thank you for providing one of the best games ever made. This is the best game made in the last 10 years. Its just plain fun and exciting. Story, Characters, Graphics, and Gameplay OMG the gameplay!! I have never played a game so easy to control so fun beautiful, entertaining. I'd also like to mention.. for the PC gamers, I'm not sure how they did it but the game is not overly demanding on system resources. This programing team really has their stuff together. Again.. Thank you. Expand
  100. Dec 15, 2013
    This game is amazing. I feel bad for the devs, since the game didn't get the sales it deserved. Discounted 75% on Steam several times which is how I acquired it also. Let's just hope the PS4 version gets some proper recognition. It is simply the best action-adventure I have ever played, and I've played them all. I live for that genre.
    -The world/level design is spectacular
    -the PC
    ported gfx is flawless and breathtaking
    -the gameplay is so much fun as you navigate all across this island, from intense shootouts, to exploring, to puzzles, to a stealthy ninja.
    -the quicktime events gets your heart racing as you get trown around like a ragdoll in every direction
    And the game is dark, bloody and so brutal it sometimes makes you cringe. Really hope for some proper DLC or a TR2 soon. (Didn't test multiplayer).
  101. Apr 24, 2013
    Easter Egg Hunt: Lara Croft Edition.

Its a good reboot of the series if they didn't put an Easter egg hunt in every single area of the game. I like doing extra stuff in games I really do. But when its one dimensional and adds nothing to the game its completely pointless, and in turn takes away from the actual game. I like to fully complete my games so when they put in something like
    this I try to do it. However.. by the end of the game I was so sick of finding useless stuff in each area that I didn't even want to complete the game. It started to feel like a chore.

If you ignore the Easter egg hunting and just play thru the game quickly it is actually pretty good. Without the mindless task of searching the environment for a bunch of useless stuff the game runs at a pretty decent pace, and the story and voice acting are not bad.

So to sum it all up. Tomb Raider isn't a bad game, but they bloated it up with a lot of useless game play in an effort to make the game seem longer than it really is, and in doing so they really took away from the speed of the game, and it really was not at all necessary. Without all the usless features in the game I probably would have rated it a 7.

1. Jun 10, 2013
    The new incarnation of the iconic Lara Craft might very well be one of the best games out there right now. [April 2013]
  2. Mar 30, 2013
    Everything you could want from an archeological adventure, except having to press six keys to mantle. [Apr 2013, p.80]
  3. Mar 19, 2013
    While not every promising idea Tomb Raider has is pulled off successfully, it nevertheless turns in a tense and memorable ride that combines modern game design with its forebears’ adventurous spirit in some exciting ways. Some of its missteps may well come at the cost of your enjoyment, but most can’t hope to hurt the adventure in the long run. Although it never fully finds its identity, this is a game and a story worth seeing through.