8.5

1. Jul 28, 2013
    I've played many tomb raider games over the years. I've enjoyed the puzzles, and play. I didn't know what to really expect for play other than what I saw from the videos of this Tomb Raider. As I got into playing it, it's THE best tomb raider game to date. Great animations, great camera, music, voice acting and story. They kept in the puzzle solving, moving it nicely into today's environments and play. I STRONGLY suggest if you haven't played this game, do. You won't be disappointed. Expand
  2. Jun 21, 2013
    A reboot that's done right. It's an emotional experience that has already taught me some lessons through this heroic tale of a brave, young woman. It's gore is a little too over-done for my personal tastes and the game doesn't go quite smoothly especially at the Quick Time Events. The controls are excellent though but you still might want to use a controller.
  3. May 2, 2013
    Best adventure of the last years, even if the story is rushed and there is too much action for old fans of the series, the game manages to entertain, however the dlc-policy is a joke.
  4. Mar 29, 2013
    I would have given this a 9 for story, but the quick time events have become so annoying and such an obvious crutch in place of good game play that I cannot ignore it. Perhaps it is because i Just played a scene over 30 times trying to get past yet another damned quick time event... At any rate, let my rating of this game show that NO GAME with UN-passable quick time events should ever be considered acceptable! They essentially break the game, thus what was a 9 is now a 0. Expand
  5. Jul 3, 2013
    Thanks Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix for this. Amazing pc version with stunning directx 11 and good optimization. Ambient and voice actors are amazing. Played this for 6 hours, story and that island are really interesting. Lara is so nice of course. Happy to play such games.
  6. Jul 23, 2013
    I had a really good time with Tomb Raider. This was my first time playing a game in the series, so I'm coming at this mini review from a totally unencumbered perspective.

First and foremost, this is a beautiful game. The art design and visuals are exceptionally well done, as are the animations. Combat is fun, if shallow, and there are plenty of items to search for to keep completionists
    busy. The plot is swift moving (for the most part), the dialog is well written and the voice acting is great.

My main criticisms come down to the tombs being way too easy and there being a general lack of replay value. The game is relatively linear and plot-driven, so you're going to have a similar experience every time you play. The action set pieces are numerous and super fun, but I can only imagine they wouldn't feel nearly so exciting the second time around. Also, the game is designed so that you will have every single skill and upgrade by the end (as long as you're picking up salvage regularly), so there's no point in focusing on different specializations.

Tomb Raider really falls into the interactive movie camp, and if you look at it that way it really is one of the best the genre has to offer. When held up against other games it definitely has some shortcomings though. I'd recommend picking it up, but maybe only when it goes on sale.
  7. Nov 8, 2013
    This is the Tomb Raider that fans expected to see.The extraordinary graphics and the wonderful,intense and captivating gameplay are just a part of the features which makes this thing "A must buy game".
  8. Dec 30, 2013
    Tomb Raider is a game I picked up on sale, not really knowing what to expect. What I got was a great experience. The visuals are stunning, the audio is masterful, and the gameplay is very fun.

However, the story was fairly weak. How am I expected to believe that this is her "becoming a survivalist" story when she murders roughly 300 people per second and survives beatings and falls fit
    for a super-human? It really should have been toned down A LOT. The actual story is interesting, but most of the characters aren't. There isn't much character development, either.

I am willing to look past these flaws and acknowledge this great game. One of the best this year, and i'll certainly be playing the sequel.
  9. oso
    Mar 24, 2013
    Excellent game, had about 13 hours of gameplay to finish it. What i especially like is the gamedesign. It looks way more mature compared to previous TR titles. It is also a perfect example of how to do a console portation the right way. Graphics are really good, gameplay perfectly adopted to mouse&keyboard and i have encountered absolutely no bugs at all.
    What i would like to see in near
    future is some free downloadable content. Atm there is just nothing to do after finishing the game. Didnt try the multiplayer so far. Expand
  10. Mar 30, 2013
    Female character for change? Check. Good quality graphics? Check. Intense mood and story line that makes you want to see what happens next? Check! This game provided me an interesting story, very nice gameplay and plenty of fun to do. Just amazing piece, reminds a lot of Batman series, but in very urban environment. Some people complain about cut scenes. For me, they are in perfect place. They carry the story forward. I get a moment from time to time that my character is actually thinking, since Lara Croft keeps talking to herself. This game is solid 9 due to everything included and i can only suggest everyone to try to for yourself. Expand
  11. Jul 18, 2013
    Tomb Raider (2013) is the game the series needs, not necessarily the one the series deserves. The game doesn't feel like a tomb raider game. My biggest complaint is that if you get spotted every enemy instantly knows your location, regardless of where you are.

Still, the game is fun. It switches between puzzles, platforming, and enemies and has a story that feels more like it belongs in
    a summer blockbuster than a video game, complete with plot holes and heart pounding action sequences. It did feel a bit repetitive 8 hours in but not as repetitive as, say, Portal 1. Also the multiplayer feels tacked on. Just saying.

This wouldn't be a review if I didn't talk about the quick time events. Yes, they're there. And no, you won't have to take 500 tries to do them. The problem with the quick time events is that you'll have to quickly go between mashing the arrow keys to pressing F to E. Strangely, most of the quick time events happen at the beginning of the game. Either that or I just got used to them.
  12. Mar 15, 2013
    Yet again, a great miss. This could have been the game of the year, but in the end ruined by laziness and stupidity. Yet again Square Enix gives us a game that could have been so great and end up average by bad game design and not giving a f**k about the PC gamer community... They need our money, but they sell us ported console-sh*t. Sad.
    From the first moment this game captures you, as a
    blockbuster action movie (a better one). And you think wow, I never liked Tomb Raider's platforming jumpandjackandpush gamestyle but this is something different. And it is, up to the 1st QTE. It's not that they are THAT hard, but it's just not for the PC. The two wont go together, dear developers. Brainless timed button smashing is for the young ones and they buy console. It's as simple as that. A game with QTE is a badly designed game (for the PC). Period. The other thing is performance. I had to take down resolution to 1024x768 to pass a the wolfie QTE, after 7 retries on 1920x1200... Its just missing my button hits... TessFX, thank you very much. 8-10 fps. And I wont buy a new machine fo r ONE game only, given that ALL my other games I play run smoothly on my machine, above 20-30 fps (even the newest ones Far Cry 3, etc). It's like Crysis I had to wait for 2-3 years till I got a machine I could run it maxed out. You can say its my problem, but Crysis 2 ran smoothly on the same rig and looked better. Coding, optimizing VS laziness. Just as here. In Deus ex HR, the bosses screwed up everything (and the console optimized controls), now the QTEs (and the console optimized controls). These games had so much potential. But no. I can't imagine how game companies pay a wealth for designers, who make so stupid mistakes and screw up a game mistakes that even I could tell them not to make...
    So it gets a 7, above average. Its not bad, but if you take the opportunity it had missed... It's a major flop, sadly.
  13. Nov 22, 2013
    The game is very well made. It has good graphics (10 out of 10), it has solid action gameplay (8 out 10). The RPG element is a bit too linear, but it's not an RPG game, but an action game. The combat is a bit too easy even on the hardest difficulty, but moderately realistic. The story and NPCs are a bit boring, I would give it a 7 for the story. Also I don't get this new trend of "find 100 secret things for XP and achievements". It's not just this game but many others. Seriously, why can't a game be just about the main gameplay and not about stupid secret-room searching? Why do we get distracted by "visit this secret tomb to make a very easy task and get a tonn of XP" from the combat that is actually quite fun despite it's simplicity? I have no answer to that. Expand
  14. May 15, 2013
    Great game. It feels very realistic and shows how Lara Croft has become what she is now. Combat is fun, exploration is fascinating, weapon customization is good. Overall, buy it when the price drops down a bit, it is worth the money.
  15. Apr 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An open world Uncharted. That alone is epic enough to make the game awesome. Excellent combat and excellent method of exploration where you can climb like in Uncharted, this game is especially a must buy for those who haven't play Uncharted yet because they don't have a PS3. One problem with the game though, the stupid cliches in this game is too much. Like you know the part in a movie where there's a guy trying to protect a girl from bandits by shooting at them and he ran out of bullets, and then this one guy attacks the guy's back and he's injured, only to take out a second pistol and shoot the guy? Yeah, pretty stupid. Most of the main casts in this game can still be alive if this stupid kind of cliche didn't happen, and the plot is pretty much predictable from the get go. Why is this person kidnapped you ask? Well there's 10+ journals in game that explains why, and yet Lara figures it out at the end of the game. Aside from the cliched plot though, the game itself is excellent. A must buy. Expand
  16. May 14, 2013
    Great graphics (especially for a port) and engaging gameplay. The campaign is memorable but the multiplayer is more-of-the-same. In any case, it's worth every penny for the campaign alone (I played it 3 times, 40h+ in total). You shouldn't pass 2 thumbs up!
  17. May 18, 2013
    Let's get some of the obvious out of the way. The game is beautiful, graphic and art wise, the hair physics is incredible if your computer can handle the highest settings. Sound and the music set the mood for the game perfectly. The new cover system is the most impressive of the whole game. Lara will automatically crouch down near or stand up depending on the cover you intend to use. This was such a breath of fresh air since I always hated that stick to the wall mechanic other TPS have. There are four weapon slots, on hard mode I did need to switch between at least three of those slots to survive. Enemies do try to flush you out of cover throwing Molotov 's or charging you. There are animals in the game that you can hunt for extra XP. They have no other purpose, don't expect to have a meter showing how hungry you are or use the skin of animals for other purposes. QTE's plaque the first hour or two of the game. On the PC, devs fail to tell you beforehand what button correlates with which QTE icon. This game is very linear, only reason to explore would be to obtain all the relics, documents, GPS caches, tombs, along with the in-game challenges. The tombs are not very mind puzzling like old Tomb Raider games and are incredibly short to do. There is no epic boss fight at the end, it's just littered with QTE's. If you can look past the QTE's this is a great modern day TPS gaming experience. Expand
  18. Sep 13, 2013
    This game evolved Lara Croft in a way I never imagined. gone are the big boobs and ass but in its place Is something much more mature and intriguing. In a world where developers are dumbing down games for the average casual gamer, crystal dynamics have gone above and beyond and its really paid off...big time! congratulations on a truly epic game!
  19. May 8, 2013
    I immensely enjoyed this game. The environment of Yamatai Island is fantastic and memorable, a rather scary mix of ancient Japanese and hideous scrap metal graveyards. Gameplay, both combat and traversal is also pretty damn good.

Far me though, the real star of the game was indeed Lara. She does suffer from a bit of the narrative disconnect between her not wanting to kill and her
    killing LOTS of bad guys, but more importantly she was quite possibly the most relatable action protagonist I've played. She successfully walks the fine line between fear and courage, meaning that she puts plenty of emotion into her actions without coming off as being whiny or a crybaby. And towards the end, you do get a great sense of her becoming a real badass.

There are a few flaws as always though. I would have preferred there to be more challenging puzzles. And the supporting cast, well certainly not annoying at all, is not fairly interesting.

With all this in mind, Lara Craft is back. And she's more alive than ever.
  20. Mar 9, 2013
    There are two types of computer gamers out there. There are the people simply called "gamers" who just want to play a great game, with lots of challenge and many things to do. Then there are "computer enthusiasts," the people who want to benchmark their super-expensive, quad graphics card computer until it either slows down to a crawl or burns out from excessive overclocking. I am not here to preach ,people, but the next couple of words are going to be the basis for a sermon. Maybe you've heard them somewhere before, but today I am going to explain my take on those two words, and I know the latter of you are not going to like this at all. I am not attacking you, or insulting your super expensive 16 core, quad graphics, quad monitor mega rig, I simply want you to see things my way. Those two words are "Graphics Efficiency." There are two definitions. On one hand, it means being able to run very good looking games at very little performance penalty, but also and most importantly, being able to run state of the art graphics with little performance penalty on lower end hardware. There several game engines that lend themselves to graphics efficiency, most famously the Unreal Engine. Gamers love Unreal Engine games because they look so good, but are not obligated to spend their hard earned money on an ubermaschine. They can enjoy Unreal Engine game no problem with what they have, modest computer specs. An example of the opposite would be Crysis 3, which offers an interactive benchmark for your computer to choke on, but little in the Game play or interesting story department (the reason why I will never buy it). Tomb Raider, on the other hand is one of those games that lends itself very well to graphics efficiency. I cannot even believe a game this good looking is even running on my four year old computer, and better yet, it is hitting 60fps. This is one reason it's currently giving me a good impression, but also the gritty survival horror/survival action elements (it even reminds me of Dead Space 2 in some parts), but mostly because it's doing so well running on my computer. This is one reason I love Square Enix games. I played Just Cause 2 to death back in the day, but also Deus Ex HR and Sleeping Dogs, and great graphics on all of these games. The art style in Tomb Raider is amazing. The story is great so farm as Lara interacts with other characters, but also how the environment affects their relationship. This is a linear game yes, but it is closer to the survival horror and action adventure, as opposed to open world, which is what people mostly want these days. IN my honest opinion mostly anyone would be having a decent time with this game, even those with lower to mid-range PCs. Some of you might not be able to max it out I can), but that's why they included a "Normal" settings choice as a last resort. Well done Square Enix. Expand
  21. Mar 29, 2013
    Tomb Raider is great. Here's a quick rundown of all the things that make it great in my opinion: 1. Camilla Luddington feels appropriately vulnerable in parts of the story and bad-ass in others, and was a great casting choice. The acting in general, is great (though there's only 3 guys doing the voices for basic enemies, which is nowhere near enough).
    2. The bow and the ice axe feel
    appropriately weighty and all the weapons deliver satisfying kills/executions. 3. Controls are absolutely fantastic (very responsive). The cover system is simple and very effective overall (no button presses necessary, just get close to it).
    4. If you've got a high level graphics card you'll be in love with the visuals. 5. The level design is fantastic, there are multiple ways around (at least in the bigger areas) and plenty of secrets to be found. 6. I really loved the UI, which was simple and effective (not quite Dead Space level UI but still great) Cons:
    1.The tombs are fun but there aren't enough of them, and they're all quite easy
    2. Game will force you to fight certain enemies for setpiece moments (like Uncharted), instead of being given the option to sneak around (this is relatively rare though) 3. the survival instinct button is basically like detective vision in arkham asylum and not necessary imo.

Single Player is the only reason to play this, although multiplayer is fun if you can actually find people to play with.
  22. Jul 23, 2013
    This game is like nothing I've ever played. The cinematography was so great I felt like I was in a movie, yet I never felt like I wasn't in control of the action at all times. The story was compelling, full of action and suspense, contrasted by the perfect amount of stealth and exploration scenes. I suspect that it will have limited replay value, but I don't mind. Having never played a Tomb Raider title before, I know for a fact that this stands on its own, but I strongly suspect it serves its function as a prequel equally well.

I can't possibly imagine why anyone would rate this game poorly. There are a few "Quick Time Events" as others seem to be calling them, but I felt like they were a good contrast to the normal frenzied firefights and exploration while still making me feel in control of what was going on.
  23. Mar 5, 2013
    I've only been playing for a couple hours but I really had to quit. This game isn't awful and if you really like the run of the mill AAA shooter genre then you might find this game worthwhile, but if you aren't a fan of quicktime events or linear set pieces then you won't enjoy yourself that much. Just about everything that Lara does is a quicktime event: fighting wolves, fighting people, climbing things; all of it is just onscreen prompts. Crystal Dynamics has made less a game and more a movie that occasionally checks to see if the audience has fingers. Expand
  24. May 29, 2013
    Tomb Raider is a cinematic piece of gaming beauty. This game focusing on telling the origin story of Laura with many in-engine cut scenes and QTE (quick time events). The game play gets boring over time, but the story keeps you pulled in till the very end. I personally loved how the story would push you along and constantly change Laura's appearance. This is a game for those that play games for story and not for game play. Expand
  25. Mar 6, 2013
    I enjoyed this game immensely. I am a long time Tomb Raider fan and I thought this game was a well needed breath of fresh air. I think Lara has earned back her treasure hunting crown from Nathan Drake (not bashing uncharted, love those games too) as there is plenty to see and explore in Tomb Raider, even after the story ends. Looks amazing on PC, excellent port by nixxes.
  26. Apr 8, 2014
    This game was surprisingly awesome. I never played any of the previous games and really had no intention to but this one was available for free as a member of Playstation Plus so figured I would give it shot. This best comparison point would be the Uncharted series (which I love) and I think this game was highly influenced by those titles but they pulled it off pretty well. There are some mind blowing action sequences on par with the best of those in Uncharted.

The environments are beautifully rendered and definitely one of the most enjoyable aspects of the game - the island is just super fun to explore and there are plenty of extras to find. There are some role playing elements to the game and I felt that the skill system worked pretty well and most of the choices were actually useful or just plain cool to see in action.

The story was engrossing but the character dialogue and voice acting seemed a little off (at least compared to Naughty Dog games) but it's still probably better than average. The one thing that seemed a little flat in this game was the combat - it gets a little boring at times and was too repetitive. The emphasis was clearly on other aspects of the game and I wouldn't call this a hardcore shooter so that's understandable.
  27. Jul 17, 2013
    Even though Tomb Raider can't seem to make up its mind on what kind of game it wants to be, it remains the kind of game that kept me up way too late night after night (and not because of Lara's chest), so it's at the very least a good one.

The combat system isn't terrible but neither is it terribly unique. Minus the bow combat, I could boot up Max Payne 3 for something significantly
    better. The stealth events are much more interesting, allowing you to slowly pick off your enemies from afar or up close. This carries a great deal of the gameplay, but it feels much more linear and carried than a game like Dishonored, which will drop you off in a sandbox filled with your soon-to-be-victims and a variety of ways with which to dispatch them or letting you sneak past them entirely. With this game, you're given a few interesting options and pretty much have to massacre everyone in your way to get by most of the time.

The game is at its strongest when you're climbing, swinging, and exploding your way through the environment. Movement in the game really is quite enjoyable, when it occurs, but that brings me to my next point. Raiding tombs is not a highlight of the main story rather, it is offered as an auxilliary objective (which you should nab at every possible opportunity). It's disappointing that in a game whose name very clearly implies the desecration of sacred burial ground, you will only really be doing so when you have time to take a break from generic third-person-shooter action. Instead of offering a plethora of crypts full of railings, walls, and ropes with which to make our way about, most of these aspects are placed in the outside world where I really don't feel like they fulfill their potential. So, odd as it is to say, don't buy this game if your hopes are firmly set on it fulfilling its name. Other side objectives include finding relics complete with information about their usage in history and salvage which can be used to upgrade weapons, alongside a skill point system that lets you customize Lara's abilities to some extent.

The game's biggest offenses come in the form of quick-time-events and overly cinematic gameplay. I love a good movie, but not when I expect it to be a game, and the first couple of hours are chock full of "Press F to not die" scenarios and other varieties of "gameplay" which serves as little more than a reason to keep your attention focused on the game. I'm okay with a few QTEs in, for example, climbing, where it feels like part of the movement and not a cheap excuse for gameplay mechanics, but the majority of this game's QTEs are just unnecessary and annoying.

**Minor spoilers follow**

Tomb Raider was advertised as a story about survival, which it definitely is for the first two or three hours. After that, all that remains of the idea of "survival" are a few questionably useful skills. For example, the first time you kill someone, Lara reacts as any humane person might with disgust, shock, and fear. Literally less than two minutes later you are gunning down small groups of men like a cold assassin, and not three hours later you're taking out rooms full of them. It really tears apart the survival theme that the developer was trying to push and doing a fairly good job of, QTEs aside during the first part of the game. It doesn't feel like a story about survival and adaptation, just a story about a woman who fights to survive until she gets her first taste of blood before becoming completely feral.

Taking over from the story about survival is the story about constantly finding your friends while fighting through an endless army of savages who theoretically all washed up here on crashed vehicles because there aren't any women on that island. Then it takes a somewhat jarring twist towards the supernatural because, Tomb Raider and it sort of feels like the gameplay it just doesn't know what it wants to be.
  28. Mar 13, 2013
    Great game. With the exception of the quick time events this game has everything I want out of a Tomb Raider game. Although it's linear there is plenty to explore, and you never really get that feeling that you're being shoved down a corridor.

The puzzles are brilliant, on par with what you'd expect from Valve or a Half-Life game. They're not outlandish either, nor are they overly
    simple puzzles a 5 year old could do. They make you sit there and think.

The game has a high level of polish when it comes to environments and just about everything. Tomb Raider again shows other developers where the goddamn bar should be when it comes to this. I never once found a shoddy blurry ass texture, or a bad model. The character models are well done, shapely and are well proportioned for the most part. I can't praise this enough, it does not feel like it was rushed out the door at all like so many games do. The artists took their time and it payed off hugely in my opinion.

All character models are done to a high level of quality, even ones that are only in the game for a handful of scenes like the pilot. Half assed wankers like Gearbox would make the pilot a low poly, low res textured series of boxes. They go full out here modelling the uniform, helmet, everything it's incredible really. Including the planes.

The animation is above anything else I have seen in a long time. The animation in this game is on a par with Avatar or a Pixar movie in terms of being fluid. Everything is smooth and clean. There are no wooden characters like Fallout 3, or moments when you think 'oh right I'm playing a videogame'.

This game is what you put down 50 beans for, it is where the bar should be for video games.

This game makes Far Cry 3 look like a joke in my opinion. It does just about everything better and adds characters that you give a about. It's just not an FPS

The lack of any poor textures/****ty meshes is just such a refreshing change.

The game would be close to perfection if it wasn't for the quick time events.

Industry more of this please. I'll be honest I usually end up hating most games put out these days but this one really brought me back to when gaming was more than just running down a corridor in Call of Duty, or playing some generic shooter RPG with hurr durr memes like Borderlands 2.

The survivor element to the story was done perfectly, it didn't hold off on the broken bones, and harsh survival aspect of it which is perfect. Lara is convincingly terrified along with her friends and again the level of polish makes the difference in pulling you into the game.

If you're thinking of buying this, do so. It's a good length and I promise you will enjoy some aspect of it unless you're the typical CoD shooter fan who can't follow basic instruction. In which case you probably stopped reading this due to your ADD about a few hundred words back.

The industry needs more games like this where developers don't half ass it. There's a high level of polish and dedication to giving the gamer a full bodied experience that isn't broken half way through by lego-like meshes, textures that are 50 x 50 in terms of resolution, or hammy as dialogue.

Talent worked on this game and it's clear to see that.

If you're the type of gamer that pours over details or likes to stop and smell the roses, you'll like this. If you're not into that, stop playing video games. Just stop trying in general because you're not interested in experiencing anything beyond what you already know.

This game has honestly reminded me where video games should be but aren't. There's originality in this, there's something in there for people who want some nostalgia, shooting, exploration, an xp system, and one doesn't compromise the other.

Tomb Raider makes RE6, Ass Creed, and nigh on hundreds of others look like the dog**** they are.

The story isn't perfect I'll concede that, but by today's standards it's on par with Dickens nearly.

More.. please..
  29. Mar 9, 2013
    The main reason I like the game is because the story is intriguing. You want to keep playing only because you want to find out what happens later. The action feels good, but a little too easy. The puzzles are fun, but again a little too easy. The world/ scenery is vibrant and beautiful, you get a real sense of discovery in this game. Many areas have lots of places to explore to find hidden items/tombs. Two complaints: 1. I've encountered way too many glitches, mainly clipping and going through walls. Nothing game breaking, just annoying. 2. Single player is way too short. Wanted to explore more at the end. Two minor complaints: 1. Character progression is linear. You get all the skills at the end, so there's no point on giving players the option to choose. 2. If you want to collect everything then you need to backtrack once you get the proper item to enter the area. Graphics 10/10 Beautiful game.
    Sound 8/10 Audio is fine. I gave it a 8 only because Lara's voice actor wasn't that convincing. Presentation 10/10 Blockbuster movie like presentation.
    Story 10/10 Interesting story.
    Gameplay 8/10 Good fun. Cover system is simple, but efficient. Lots of crazy action scenes(I think Lara is superwoman). Deaths are fun! Different death scenes for different situations just like Dead Space. I believe this is the start of a great Tomb Raider series. A good fresh game like this revives a franchise from the ashes. It reminds me of Batman: Arkham City; that was the first great Batman game of the next-gen era. Before Arkham city Batman was synonyms with terrible games. But now their image has changed just like Tomb Raider. High quality game everyone should try and I look forward to playing future Tomb Raider games.
  30. Mar 5, 2013
    The game runs well on my HD 7950 and TressFX makes Lara's hair look and behave realistically. Unfortunately the hair comes at a significant performance loss, but it's worth it if you're not too bothered about getting 60fps on a high end system and a massive fps drop during the in-engine cutscenes. I like the overall story and Lara is a great character that changes drastically during the game. Every member of her group and the other characters on the island are dissapointing though and I found it hard to care about any of them.

As an action/adventure game released after the Uncharted series, this of course takes a lot from those games and actually improves on certain aspects. I haven't encountered any set pieces on the scale of Uncharted yet, but the more personal story and the larger focus on realism make the action a lot more tense, regardless of it not being quite as flash as Nathan Drake's adventures.

Definitely get this if you're a PC Gamer that hasn't played the Uncharted series and still get it if you have. It takesa lot from other games and isn't the Tomb Raider we are used to playing, the characterization is weak and TressFX kills performance. Yet the game is still worth it for overall story, Lara's character development, tense action sequences and impressive gameplay.

PS: Multiplayer is garbage, forget that it exists and you'll be happy with this game.
  31. Apr 28, 2013
    Great platforming and action sequences and an ok story. Very polished game, pc version has some of the best graphics to date. Took a point off for some annoying overuse of quick time events and some awkward cutscenes of lara getting beaten up too frequently
  32. Jun 15, 2013
    Tomb Raider is less a game and more an interactive movie. The only action you have exclusive control over is the uninspired fire-fights. Waiting for enemies to pop their heads out or mashing Shift in close combat. All other actions that could have been used to give you a sense of achievement or at least involvement is at best quick-time events and the rest to cut-scenes. I had to stop playing at one point when I walked into yet another shooting gallery populated with enemies who are immune to my learned skills. The combat is tedious. The puzzles are mindless and only difficult when the developer decides not to highlight certain ledges that in other areas of the game would be highlighted. Personally this game has zero replay value. The main story is surprisingly intriguing with most of the characters being adequately developed. Though Uncharted has done everything this game has done only Uncharted did them better. Instead of quick time events Uncharted had mini-games and it didn’t try to pretend that its puzzles were anything more than filler. Tomb Raider is at times a fun ride, 5/10. Expand
  33. Mar 22, 2013
    This is the best game out in 2013 so far, graphics, story, combat, sound everything is AAA quality and the new TressFx was just lovely and i didn't have any performance issues(on ultra settings-on a amd build pc). I went all out woke up in the morning and i just couldn't leave until the game finished.
  34. Mar 22, 2013
    This game has a lot of positives, and very little negatives. Stunning visuals, great sound/voice acting, intense story and gameplay that will leave you incredibly satisfied with your purchase. One thing that stands out in my opinion is the level design. The way the game directs you, leaves you options and controls your reactions to certain situations is just amazing. I think that is great considering many people worried about this game looking to action/adventure shoot-em-up than the creative level-designs from the previous games. I'm glad to say that everything is balanced fantastically, and just the right amount of optional completion. There are a few problems with the PC drivers, but a couple of patches later fix this almost fully. The aging consoles bring this game down too much and with my rig running this on ultimate setting at a comfortable 60fps it's hard to say that you should play it on anything else. The PC version is the way to go and even the keyboard and mouse feel more comfortable than the controller.

35. Mar 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I drained a lot of time into this game because the story was engaging. Like reading a good book for the first time, I wanted to keep going to find out where it all ends. The Tomb Raider series has always dabbled in the supernatural and this one is no different. Instead of some South or Central American ruin, this franchise prequel take us to the Asian version of the Bermuda Triangle (the Dragon's Triangle in the game) south of Japan. The scenery is beautiful and the environment is a bit reminiscent of the Lingshan Islands from Crysis. The controls functioned well, although there were times where they inevitably ran into a problem or two. Most of the functionality of the game (i.e. scenery, controls, story) was solid, making Tomb Raider a huge hit from Crystal Dynamics. This was a great telling of how young Lara Croft goes from young archaeologist fresh out of college to a hardened survivor. However, I do have some complaints about some of the game's features that are pretty much never needed in an action game: quick-time events and button mashers. The quick-time events, while some are to be expected, are kind of unnecessary. It's understandable that they're meant to simulate reflexes, but they're always done exactly the same way. Just when you're ready to sit back and watch a cutscene, a quick-time event appears. And usually paired with these QTEs comes the frustrating button-mash events. I have yet to see a need for button mashing in an action game. The reason why I think button-mashers are the worst feature for any action game is because they feel out of place, not to mention the irritation at mashing your best just to fail. A prime example of this is towards the beginning when Lara is wrestling with a large wolf. The first thing you have to do is to mash the left and right buttons to push it off. I've died at least *eight times* mashing like crazy only to have the wolf chomp on Lara's throat and kill her. Then after a couple QTE prompts, you have to mash the E key to repeatedly stab the wolf with an arrow; if you don't, the wolf bites Lara's neck and she dies (same death scene if you fail the first button-mashing event). The times when I had to mash buttons during a life-or-death scene really pissed me off the most during the course of the game. Another thing that doesn't make sense is the end boss. More often than not, it's some guy that somehow never gets shot until the final battle, and even then he takes hits like he's no stranger to getting shot and stabbed in vital areas of the body, and even then it takes *forever* for him to die. I can understand him taking about five or six bullets and not dying right away, but tanking at least twelve while he's casually loading shotgun is just ridiculous and unrealistic. Aside from all of these problems, as well as some other minor glitches, the game was a good experience and one that I'd certainly recommend. Expand
  36. May 7, 2013
    Incredible. Possibly a game of the century. Lara Croft has proven herself what she can really do. The puzzles, dialog, gaming, entertainment, graphics-basically everything-of this game are unforgettable. This people have actually been so specific-if you listen closely, you can hear Lara's footsteps and the sound that they make on different floors,and the water dripping down on caves. Anyways.... You'll be really wise to get this game-even if it is for a day. Expand
  37. Jun 18, 2013
    Alright so out of 10, 1 being crap, 5 being average, 10 being the best thing ever since air became breathable, I'd give this game a 3 because in my opinion it is below average. The game advertised itself as a survival adventure kind of a game but in reality, there was very little surviving and the adventure was so linear it gave the player this feeling like the game was playing the player instead. I'll admit that I found the bow and arrow system kind of cool at first, but then I started to use guns and realized how incredibly overpowered they are. Everything about this game has been done before in other video games in better ways. If you compared this game with Batman: Arkham City, Hitman: Absolution, or even Dead Space 2, you will find that these games are superior to Tomb Raider in all aspects of a game. The length of the game is also total crap. The puzzles are too few and way too easy and the main story line didn't offer much of a challenge (Even on the highest difficulty). Also, the fast travel system sucks because I find it highly inconvenient that I have to climb all the way back to where I started to find one collectible at the end of the map I had missed earlier. All in all, I am disappointed with my purchase of Tomb Raider and I consider it a waste of time for people who wish to pursue quality gaming experiences. Expand
  38. Oct 17, 2013
    Good game. Against the backdrop of stagnation in the game industry in recent years, this game is like a breath of fresh air. Old Tomb Raider series I was not interested. But the restart of the series interested. The developers have promised a new format of the game. And I want to say this new format came to my liking. The game is 100% live up to my expectations. Spectacular, tough, exciting. It was very interesting to observe the formation of the new Lara Croft, when a cute girl turns into a killing machine, a skull smashes opponents with an ax, bow hunting as Rambo. Unfortunately the plot a little disappointed. Hoping that the storyline will not reach the banal mysticism based on Japanese mythology. Expand
  39. Mar 15, 2013
    Welcome back Tomb Raider, it looks amazing and the story is really good. Ever expanding no doubt with DLC but will be worth it. They have put a lot of effort into the game and it shows, a very fun and expansive story.
  40. Apr 24, 2013
    Easter Egg Hunt: Lara Croft Edition.

Its a good reboot of the series if they didn't put an Easter egg hunt in every single area of the game. I like doing extra stuff in games I really do. But when its one dimensional and adds nothing to the game its completely pointless, and in turn takes away from the actual game. I like to fully complete my games so when they put in something like
    this I try to do it. However.. by the end of the game I was so sick of finding useless stuff in each area that I didn't even want to complete the game. It started to feel like a chore.

If you ignore the Easter egg hunting and just play thru the game quickly it is actually pretty good. Without the mindless task of searching the environment for a bunch of useless stuff the game runs at a pretty decent pace, and the story and voice acting are not bad.

So to sum it all up. Tomb Raider isn't a bad game, but they bloated it up with a lot of useless game play in an effort to make the game seem longer than it really is, and in doing so they really took away from the speed of the game, and it really was not at all necessary. Without all the usless features in the game I probably would have rated it a 7.
  41. Dec 10, 2013
    This new Tomb Raider is more like a freaking overextended movie than a video games. What drove me insane is that at one point, like in the middle, it got really repetitive was the same old same over and over again. Like you got in a new area then find some documents, some relics, gps, kill some never ending guys and watch a freaking cut scene! Thats it!!! it repeats for an infinite amount of times and in the end you just play to know whats gonna happen, cause it is no fun at all. But I do have to admit that the art direction in general was good, also the voice acting and some good sound. Overall its kinda enjoyable at the beggining and really tiresome towards the end. Would rate it a 7.5 Expand
  42. Aug 11, 2013
    Great PC port and great game. It's basically a reboot and even being a fan of the series, thought this was much, much better than it's predecessors. This is quite a feat to achieve in itself and it's very rare that games actually do this but they do sometimes.

The trailers and early gameplay is shameful. It appears as though this is a linear game and very heavy on QTE's.

While this
    is true for the first part of the game (~1 hour) this is done to great effect and since this is a reboot, allows for the development of the character. You truly see Lara shine even her voice actor's better than the last.

Now I don't generally like reboots but I can see taking the franchise in a different direction was actually the best idea anyone could roll with. This is a more dark (not "dark knight" dark but more serious in tone and for the first time A TOMB RAIDER GAME WITH BLOOD AND BRUTAL DEATH SCENES).

It's more of an RPG and campfires help to serve as Hubs which you can explore and look for caves or "tombs", upgrade your character with a similar system of killing animals for XP (like Far Cry 3) and travel to other parts of the world. The game's huge and the campaign is ~20 hours, and then you can free roam. The only DLC I'd recommend is getting a few of the SINGLEPLAYER skins, MP map pack(s) and the tomb dlc. The others can be either earned in the game (skills) or are not that great.

The game's music is surprisingly good and easily beats the last. There's a lot of drama and it's quite gripping. The graphics are sensational and it's ported by Nixxes (the same guys that did Hitman: Absolution and made the Deus Ex: Human Revolution ports). Extensive graphics options, lots of tweaking and PC friendly controls. Although there are button prompts, this game immerses you so well there's nothing to really flaw.

Well actually, there is. The voice actors while Lara and her enemies are great, the rest of her crew isn't quite "there" yet. They don't sound mediocre but they don't sound great either. They've got some accents and for the most part they're fine. You still care about them but all the same when you hear Lara's voice you're like... why can't the others have voices on the same level?

There's tons of bonuses and I really liked upgrading my character. Lots of these upgrades were useful and tricks you learned. You really feel like you're playing with an inexperienced Lara. They've changed the story but again, better. She's still English but the Croft Manor and such isn't here. Nor are there vehicles to drive lol. This doesn't matter this game is easily the pinnacle and the top of the Tomb Raider franchise. Fans and non-fans will get appealed, and no fan can deny how great this game is. They don't sexualise her either and the game tends to be mature (most of the time). Still most players will look at her butt most of the time as she's crawling or climbing. Speaking of which all the movements are motion capped (like the last game Underworld) and again helps with the immersion.

In some respects it's similar to Uncharted but it's still distinctly a Tomb Raider game. In some ways, it's better than Uncharted and if you never got to play Uncharted or wanted to (due to not having a PS3 or access) this game will do the job. It's slick, accessible and incredibly fun to play all while holding the Tomb Raider name high and making great efforts to be a cinematic adventure.

The cinematics aren't too long or boring and they're frequent at the beginning, they help to explain a lot as well as build up the rest of the game. Combat's revamped too and while it can be repetitive at the beginning if you don't do main missions and stick to side-quests... the new tricks and vast amount of unlocks, serve to make combat that comes later less harder than it appears to be and far more fun to dish out finishers and sneak around. There's different play styles too and you're rewarded as such. It felt like Batman: Arkham Asylum at times, which is not a bad thing and they integrated cover really well. The focus is on exploring but combat doesn't feel as cheapily tacked on as past games and it's far better for this 3rd person... type of game.
  43. Mar 8, 2013
    I hate QTE games and "interactive movies". Games like far cry or assassins creed filled with cutscenes all time and with very low gameplay difficulty really piss me off and bore very fast. But this game is so well done that it made possible to me to enjoy this kind of gameplay. The story is very good, the gameplay is entertaining and always interesting.

Also, as pc user it has to be
    noted that it is the best conversion I've ever saw. I have an old acer laptop with just a 540M but still I'm able to play at normal-high settings with incredible graphics and very smooth.

The cons are the stupid perk system and the story, it is a bit short. I do recommend you to not skip the puzzle and secondary quests, they are very nice and "old tomb raider" style.
  44. Sep 11, 2013
    I've finished the game in 14h on Hard difficulty so I can write the final review now. First, the game is beautiful. The story line is also quite decent. Controls on PC are excellent with mouse and keyboard, but you can also play on a gamepad (and it's possible to change it on the fly, the game adapts the controls info in QTEs for that). What's keeping it from being perfect: - overused QTEs in the first hour of the game,
    - lack of replay value: story is the main point of this game, once you know it and done all the puzzles it's really no point in playing it again,
    - lack of difficulty even on Hard mode, after the first hour you pretty much steamroll everyone as you go,
    - they confuse Lara Croft with John Rambo at times, you are supposed to kill dozens of enemies in a single area, wave after wave (and it's hilariously easy even on Hard),
    - not enough stealth elements (they seem to prefer the guns blazing approach).

In the end, it's 10-15 hours of a really well done game and by all means worth the 15-20$ price tag on sale these days.
  45. Mar 6, 2013
    Pro's -

Graphically very pretty.
    Nice to see an incarnation of Tomb Raider where Lara Croft's haven't grown by a cup size between releases and not look like silicon implants.
    Better story line (but only just).
    Nixxes have made this a half-decent port from console.

CONS

Typical consoletard linear gameplay.
    Short probably less than 15 hours gameplay.
  46. May 4, 2013
    This game is absolutely amazing! This is a proper way to give a back-story to one of the most iconic characters of video industry. I guarantee you, that by the time you finish Tomb Raider, you will fall in love with Lara Croft (and if you are a gamer who actually remembers the first game, you will realize that you missed her). The graphics, and camera work are STUNNING! The key moments are ALWAYS presented in a jaw-dropping way. The combat feels great and natural, with just the right amount of toys to play with. The platform elements are a cool reminder, that this is still Tomb Raider, in its essence. I do not agree with some complains, that I've seen. I don't think the game is too easy. And too many cutscenes? They are not intrusive, and feel like a reward, not a nuisance. In fact, they make you feel like a hero. To sum up, TR franchise couldn't have asked for a better reboot, and I would place this entry on par with the first (and, in my memories, the best) game of the series. GOTY so far. Expand
  47. Dec 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very good graphics, and near "human like" character animation for Lara. You see the team worked hard to devise a product worthy of the Tomb Raider franchise and make a good game overall, but why some game developers think that quick time events are the smartest and coolest things to put on a game? QTE sucks, fact! As for combat, both from character perspective and AI, it's not that challenging really. For example, no matter how much you upgrade your weapons, they'll kill just the same. I mean, it doesn't get more difficult as you go, the enemies remain the same. The enemies by the way, they really are as dumb as the documents you read about them reveal. They either run straight to you, or take cover leaving their heads sticking out. As for the weapons, bow and arrow is reeeeally boring, and the devs could really have given Lara a pair pistols instead of just one. That would be really cool. They gave that in the very last minute of the game, which was very disappointing... why didn't she get that from the moment she found the first one? Yes, because there seems to be and endless supply of weapons and ammo in that island, so why not? And what about plotholes? What's with the gazillions of corpses everywhere? For that amount of corpses, you'd imagine there is a airliner or a holiday cruise ship crashing into the island every five minutes... Not to mention that the survivors are all men! What, women are not tough enough to survive? Also, concrete structures and labs? How did they get all the materials and equipment into the island, if everything that gets close to it is smashed to bits? Overall, apart from a few glitches, QTEs and plotholes, it's quite a good game, although it's got no replay value at all, especially if aiming to complete 100% of all maps in the first playthrough, as I did. Do I recommend it? Yes, but only for the right price. I got mine for 10 on sale, so for the 30+ hours it took me to complete it, it was well worth it. Expand
  48. Mar 14, 2013
    I really had a good time with this game, great graphics and the combat is really fun as well. I don't think enough can be said about just how phenomenal the sound is in this game. It is a little extreme towards the end when you literally take on hundreds upon hundreds of enemies, they should have favored more difficult enemies instead of numerous ones. Still, it's one of the best 3rd person shooters of this gen, not quite as good as the uncharted series, but I personally think the combat in Tomb Raider blows Uncharted away and the graphics on PC of course trump it as well. I also am a sucker for mature settings and I love all the gore and the mature storyline in the beginning is actually quite good, but falls on it's face towards the end. Great reboot, definitely the best tomb raider since the PS one days, without a doubt. I really really don't understand all the negative comments about quicktime, the VAST majority of the game's combat is cover shooting and stealth if you want to. There are occasional quicktime events, but they are few and far between. Expand
  49. Jun 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Tomb Raider takes a cliche consumed thousand times, theme and adds a boring historical-archaeological sauce.. Lara Croft starts the game as a smart reasonable strong enthusiastic adventurer who finds herself struggling to survive.. soon though she turns into a super legendary woman who can take entire alarmed armies of soldiers known as "the morons" on her own just with the slight theoretical training of her father-like mentor, Roth, who is a likable interesting character that was able to stimulate our sympathy and admiration.. Lara takes extremely enjoyable badass bow-takedowns.. Katniss croft makes you feel like a beast.. Although the stealth mechanics are not very original something in Tomb Raider still makes the stealth, in terms of fun, very enjoyable. Lara is also very lucky because most of the enemies she encounters have an IQ that ranges between 20 to 40.. the retarded enemies you meet in the game are not just stupid enough to worship a dead queen who they give a ton load of human sacrifices to liberate her soul out of her natural bitc*iness for her to stop the storms.. they also think it's very naturally healthy to slowly approach a person with a rifle and a shotgun in a ridiculous attempt to stab him with a knife.. Lara is also lucky cuz her magical pistol is given to her by Santa in her 7th birthday.. that's probably why it makes much more damage then a rifle or shotgun.. as the game goes on you start getting this irritating itchiness we used to get in Lost season 6.. the story gets lamer and more driven into the super-natural side.. Lara as she gets tougher and more brutal becomes also dumber and more pretentious that she has to end every sentence she says with "I have to end this" and with the less stealth in the later mission.. the game starts to feel boring.. and then....... a huge disappointment in the ending.. so in the end it basically turns out queen Himiko soul is stuck inside a statue or something so she has to consume hot young ladies constantly to slip out of the jail.. and would finally stop jerking around with people using those storms as long as they fully serve her homosexual fetishes for using white young women as blood fuel ..in the final scene we're back to the beginning, back to the boat. And everyone is safe and good.. except now they're only 4 and Lara is now stupid and superstitious.
    Now that my soliloquy is done, I wanna note that although my review may seem critical, I did enjoy the game and currently in a second walkthrough, It's fun, The stealth and arrow kills are simply FUN. a lot of fun.. However, as a story-driven game, I find the writing very clumsy, The story is ridiculous, and with tons of plots holes.
  50. Apr 26, 2013
    Easily the best game of 2013 so far.

also, if there was a archery game of the year decade, this game wins hands down. never in a game that i felt more interested to use my bow and arrows than guns.
  51. Dec 21, 2013
    Story: 4/10, the story wasn't that good, it was pretty generic and the characters weren't that interesting, except for Lara herself. I think her transition from innocent girl to cold blooded killer was pretty dull and unrealistic.
    Gameplay: 10/10, this saves the whole game for me. The platforming was fast and fluid and the combat really well done and very satisfying
  52. May 26, 2013
    Tomb Raider is just as epic as we expected it to be. And adventure filled with endless fun, it is an incredibly well made reboot that has easily managed to leave Uncharted in the past.
  53. Apr 21, 2013
    Tomb Raider is a superb action adventure! I never expected to be this impressed by it but it is a very well made and balanced 3rd person action title. I really think i prefer this to Uncharted as well it has a more serious and dramatic tone to it. The atmosphere the game creates really sucks you in and leaves you in awe at every cut scene especially on PC. Well worth everyone's money.
  54. Feb 1, 2014
    I nice-looking but inordinately shallow third-person adventure game / 'platformer' (*term used loosely). The platforming in the game is very disappointing, even if it weren't a TR game. The game suffers from the infamous modern day video gaming cancer known as "accessibility". Due to the shallow, hand held environment traversal, the game boils down to little more than linear progression through what's meant to be an open world environ, with ho hum shooting segments interspersed throughout. The fully automated cover system destroys any semblance of tension, as it enters cover whenever an enemy is in the vicinity; irrespective of whether they're within the player's view or not. The game is also hampered by overuse of the dreaded 'QTE's' and too many cut-scenes. The violence depicted in said cut-scenes is also way overkill for the TR franchise -- patently done in order to attract a broader [American] crowd. If you want to play Tomb Raider for what made it a fan favourite - platforming, puzzles and exploration - don't play this 'junk food' title. Stick to early Lara Croft adventures. For Tomb Raider 2013 is little more than one cut-scene followed by another linear TPS segment until the end credits. (NB: I did not play the online-only, arena-based mutiplayer component of the game due to the scathing reviews it received.) Expand
  55. Mar 6, 2013
    As far as a 3rd person action/adventure game goes this is very good, as far as a Tomb raider game goes it's not too bad but it could be a lot better. From the perspective of a reboot from a great series this is certainly a nice breath of fresh air and there is a lot great things that has been put into this game: The environments and visuals are some of the best I've seen in a 3rd person game let a lone an action game for current generation technology. The combat system and mechanics are a joy to play and are free flowing and easy to control, the AI is pretty smart and react accordingly to their surroundings, character development is actually quite good considering a lot of people are saying they're 2 dimensional it's still a good story/plot all in all. These are some of the great things this game ha to offer. However I do feel that this game is missing something, it's missing the Indianna Jones style tomb/booby traps explorations we all grew to love in a Tomb Raider game. Don't get me wrong this game has tombs, it has exploration but it just doesn't quite feel the same and that brings me back to my point as a 3rd person action/adventure game this concept would be fine but as it's Tomb Raider I really crave this and that's why I will give Crystal Dynamics the benefit of the doubt and hope they add these important features for any forthcoming sequels. All in all a decent game and deserves a respectable score, however if you're looking for the true Tomb Raider feel you may be left slightly dissapointed. Expand
  56. Aug 26, 2013
    What impressed me most was the story, so well written. Seeing Lara grow from a scared and fragile little girl into an angry, ruthless hunter-killer is amazing. Also the way she recovers from every beating, every fall, every shot and broken bone.
    ---
    I was amazed by the graphics. I really thought that graphics this gorgeous would require more processing power, yet the game is surprisingly
    light.
    ---
    The only reason I'm not giving this one a ten is because of the irritating amount of scenes where you have partial control of the character, and have to push Lara foward Jurassic Park style. Such parts should be cutscenes, not playable scenes. That was a slight insult to the player's intelligence and do more to annoy than to advance the story.
  57. Jul 16, 2013
    The reviews stating that this game doesn't have the same "feel' as the previous TR games are all correct. This game is much more visceral, open, 'realistic' and has vastly better voice/character acting. There were some scenes that brought me nearly to tears they were so incredible.
    Stellar graphics, game play mechanics, level design, AI and story.
    This game has earned a very rare 10/10
    from me.
    If you just simply hate cut scenes, you may take 2 points off of this score, it's ok by me.
  58. Mar 18, 2013
    This game contains a lot more action than the previous installments of the series. But at the same time it also contains a fantastic story with a very believable main character. It is not a story about another super hero fighting his way through countless enemies. Lara has feelings and opinions and they are portrayed in a believable way that even surpasses many movies. That surprising amount of depth makes this one of the rare games these days that take their adult players seriously. This game will certainly have to be a contestant for the game of the year awards. Expand
  59. Mar 6, 2013
    This Is definitely game of the year of BOTH 2012 and 2013. The freshest breath of air Ive taken in a long time, looks like all the hard work and countless hours the makers put into this game really paid off. I have met a few of the design team members and they are great and passionate guys and you can tell they care more about providing a product that really changes and improves gaming and making the gamers really happy. This is the first time in a long time where i actually believe the company was making the game for us and not only for the money. Now about the game; this is a great game filled with a suspenseful, mind-churning, and immersive game play that has some of the most beautiful graphics and voice acting that i have ever seen. The upgrade and free travel system in this game really adds the replay value and game length. Unlike the previous tomb raider titles, you really become the character and begin to feel and experience what the character experiences in the game, and can even grow attached to some of the other characters. The fighting and surviving has been done very well in this game and is very simple to use making fun to encounter and complete unlike some of the past titles where the fighting and shooting was really awful for example like in tomb raider 2 and 3 and some others. One of the best console ports that I have seen and adds a very large amount of graphic changing options and requires a pretty hefty pc setup to run the game fully. I run gtx 480x2, i7950 4.0OC 12gb ram and only keep around a 28 fps average with everything on ultra and SSAx4. Lara Croft is WAY hot in this game and i definitely prefer this "alive" and younger version to the old whore Lara. There are a lot of quicktime events but honestly they fit with the gameplay very well and can be done quickly so the gameplay is not hindered at all. Besides a few bugs (which will be quickly fixed) i found nothing wrong with the game and I think everyone should pick up a copy, genre fan or not you will most likely love this game for any playing system. Expand
  60. Sep 15, 2013
    Why you should get this game" -Gorgeous scenery and graphics -Combat system is fun and dynamic -Cutscenes are not NEARLY as bad as reviewers are saying, really adds to the storyline and overall feel -Tomb raiding and puzzles are challenging and rewarding -Pulls you into the game (something that is VERY rare for me) Why you shouldn't buy the game: -Skill and crafting system is limited(ish)
    -Little stealth abilities (usually enemies already know you're there)

Conclusion:
    Buy it, buy it, buy it! Fun, enthralling storyline and gameplay. Worth your money.
  61. May 2, 2013
    Could have been a better game without the awful QTEs and the out-of-place regenerative health system. But the great plot, breath-taking scenarios, and the outstanding acting of Camilla Luddington can make this game worth your money.
  62. May 10, 2013
    Modernized Tomb Raider is almost flawless gem, it has great visuals and gameplay, only thing that bothered me was the predictiveness of the story at some points. Ultimately it is one of the best games of the year.
  63. Jul 4, 2013
    this game is great. it has a very gripping story about lara and her orgins. i never played a tomb raider game but i highly recommend this game. if u games like arkham asylam and uncharted. you will love this one.
  64. Aug 28, 2013
    everything is failed only except the graphics,
    i can't able to find the lara craft which i saw on previous games
    the story is not good at all and puzzles are nothing compared to previous one(underworld)
    i'm really missing those great environment,musics,characters.
    and at last i'd still love to play underworld again but not this one
  65. Aug 26, 2013
    Graphics are great... the rest is the pinnacle of consolitis. The game play is ordinary and linear, and quick time events are everywhere, not even one is acceptable. why they feel they need to put rpg elements in all these games is beyond me, it feels fake and draws me away from immersion. The perfectly placed zip lines feel stupid, and why can i only climb in certain areas? hunting is pointless and must have been an after thought. what is with games and collecting things? if i felt like collecting random i would clean my house. does any idiot actually collect hundreds of these pointless items? are we rats? i might go and play dues ex again. not human revolution, that was consolized crap also. Expand
  66. Aug 3, 2013
    The last time I played Tomb Raider, it was years ago back in elementary when I had my first playstation. At that time, I was still new to the franchise and didn't really care much about the storyline and whatsoever and from the movies, I got my impression that Lara Croft (before exploring) was already an accomplished fighter who is prepared for any danger and that exploring any new tombs are just part of the daily task. But not with this new reboot. It gained my attention as it brought along a new fresh story. Started out with Lara from being just an ordinary girl having to fight her way to become a warrior in order to survive. Not to mention the graphics of the game had already caught my attention in the first place and I was excited when I learned that Square Enix was involved. I know for one thing Square Enix never failed me on graphics aspect and turns out, the games was a masterpiece. I expect a sequel to follow on. Expand
  67. Apr 22, 2013
    Tomb Raider [2013] is an interactive visual novel about a girl with gravity defying hair who ends up stranded on an island in the South Pacific after an accident. During her quest to survive she will be injured one way or another about every 5 minutes or even killed if she does not correctly executes a quick time event.
  68. Apr 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I personally gave this game an 8.6 out of 10 (rounds up to 9) because it was extremely well done and reboots the series in an incredibly entertaining and refreshing way. The Lara Croft we are given in this game is not the same raider of tombs from the mid 90s that we knew and loved she is an inexperienced and younger version who has never ventured into a tomb and this is her first journey. By the end she becomes the Lara Croft that we know and love from the 90s but in an updated and pretty epic way. The very last moment of combat even pays homage to the dual pistol wielding protagonist we remember from our first adventure so long ago. I wish there were bears, I wish there were bats, I love that there are wolves but I definitely wish there were more throwback moments than there are, if only to satisfy the fans of the original series who took the time to play this version.

The music is fitting for the time you hear it but isn't very memorable afterwards. The voice acting, especially for Lara is extremely well done, which is something I am very glad to finally be saying about more and more games these days. The combat is very well done when it allows you to do your thing but when quick time events are necessary to defeat particular enemies it gets a bit annoying and some of those events are slightly bugged so it sometimes takes a few tries which only adds to the annoyance factor. Sadly the game is very easy (even on hard difficulty), puzzles are not complex or in depth, you can easily get all upgrades, the game pretty much holds your hand the entire way but that ultimately detracts very little from a game that does a beautiful job of rebooting a series that many including myself feared might be dead after being run into the ground by so many terrible sequels.

The characters other than Lara are unfortunately not very well developed throughout the game, with the exception of your main enemy. Through the journals you pick up over the course of the game you learn bits of information that you would not otherwise know even from Lara's friends/companions. However the only journals that shed any light on much of anything are those from your enemy, and there are a few others that have nothing to do with your group that add to the overall story of the game in a very interesting way. The reason I did not lower my score much for this is because her friends really do not matter in the long run. They are amusing at times but the majority of the narrative takes place without them and Lara is really the only character we are meant to care about.

The island is beautifully crafted and I have not seen any version that does the game justice that is not on a PC with the graphics completely juiced. There are moments that I caught myself just running around and looking at the environments and smiling because they looked absolutely gorgeous on my PC. Even the particularly gruesome deaths that you cause look rather traumatizing at some points and they should as shooting people in the face with an arrow is not a pretty thing.

One of the defining moments in the game is Lara's first kill and this is cut a bit short mostly because the game does not have several hours to let you recover from this but it still feels important and it should as the character will never be the same again. After this she slowly turns into the female version of Nathan Drake, which is kind of funny because Nathan Drake was highly influenced by the original Lara Croft but that link has no negative impact on the game as Uncharted is a great series itself and not taking that into account would have been a mistake that I am glad was not made. By the end her transition is very satisfying and very enjoyable to experience. While there are likely no life altering moments about this game that make anybody want to run out and become a game developer it is an extremely well crafted game that any fan of the original series should play as it reboots the entire thing in such a refreshing way that there will almost definitely be sequels to look forward to in the near future.
  69. May 21, 2013
    I played expecting nothing, and I'm surprised. The franchise changed so much, but I believe this game is exactly what a tomb raider should be at this point.
    for those who claim it is an uncharted knock off, it's not. at the first hour you might have that impression, but as you play the game changes and becomes something else. It is a Tomb Raider, never think otherwise.
    And I'm glad it
    was rebooted like this. The skill system makes a lot of sense, upgrading your weapons is awesome, and the characters are believable and the plot is awesome.
    the little boy who played the first one all those years ago is very happy now.
  70. May 30, 2013
    It would have been a very good game, but: -Quick-time events are just too frequent, and they are actually the only cause of player death. -AI is very poor -Game dynamics looks similar to far cry 3 but levels are very small. It just looses the magic -The main character (Lara) whines could really get annoying (as long as you are not a kind of maniac) -Why is so hard for Lara to die if a wolf stabs her throat, but so easy if I struck the wrong button during a QTE?? Expand
  71. Oct 2, 2013
    I really enjoy this game. The exploration and battle are attractive. Some guys say the QTEs are annoying but that's not true. They are not that many and are easy to pass since you have plenty of time to react. I only find the battle could be more challenging.
  72. Jul 19, 2013
    Dissapointing very dissapointing its story is so crappy and I know the reason why peole like this garbage because of her she is hot and beutiful but story hate it and because of this game I will never buy another tomb raider game!
  73. Jan 1, 2014
    Let me start by saying that even back at the 90's i was saying that the Tomb Raider series is just some hyped rubbish.
    On the other hand Legacy of Kain series IMO is the best game series ever made (by billion miles away from anything else).
    This Tomb Raider though has nothing to do with the old rubbish series, this is a proper Crystal Dynamics Game. (even though that some members from
    the LoK Series arent in CD now)

Honestly Tomb Raider is better in everything than all 3 uncharted games combined.
  74. Mar 8, 2013
    the good news is: the reboot of the series is generally far better than expected. combat is cool, story is cool, the character is believable (although empathizing more on the survival part rather than going full killer after 30 min would have been the better bet)

one thing that doesnt works out AT ALL are those STUPID QUICK TIME EVENTS which you cant even turn off. man its like a plague
    since every designer and his mother thinks to involve the player in some kind of press this do this and jump around in your room stuff.
    it totally breaks immersion. On PC it doesnt even tells you what to press (you have symbols which you can look up what exactly they mean) and generally it feels totally repeatedly and unsatisfying to die over and over from QTEs. too bad i didnt read all of the reviews. would i have known that i wouldnt have bought it. at least i wont endorse the game to any of my friends.

If you want to annoy ppl with QTEs make them optional. bah
  75. Apr 6, 2013
    Awesome game and plots. Real challenges. Love the gameplay and graphics and found that I soon got very immersed in the game and really felt I was being hunted. My Game of the year. Beats Bioshock Infinite hands down and is the quality of Far Cry 3. This is a game worth the money whatever you pay for it.
  76. Apr 20, 2013
    This is how you reboot a game, it's really a 8 to 9 but I wanted to balance out all the idiots who gave it a 4 or less due to bad reasons. The quick time events are fine because it was the only way for me to actually feel surprised when I have to press something out of no where. None of them are even hard, you have like two different buttons to watch out for and sometimes you have to press left and right. If you get caught off guard, the death scenes are very well done. How can anybody say there's not enough exploration? You have the (keyword)choice of exploring an entire island and there's a ton of things to explore. I like the assassin creed like instinct thing, I guess some people enjoy mentally keeping track of where they are in the world but I prefer to not have to look at the map all the time. This does make the puzzles super easy though, I didn't google a single solution, they were all very straight forward and sometimes Laura will even blurt out a hint. The story definitely starts out pretty strong, but it gets pretty predictable towards the end. I was never sure if they were going to go with a scientific explanation or magic until about half way through. The game is a bit on the too easy side, the only time I died was from surprising quicktime events and the huge fire fights at the end. However, it's definitely fun, it's one of the few games in the recent years where I had to finish it. Expand
  77. Mar 6, 2013
    I'm giving it a 9 out of 10 because it's relatively short, and not very hard. I completed the story on hard mode in 13 hours. Although the upside is that the story doesn't feel dragged out at all, there is no real filler content to stretch it out. If there was a little more story and perhaps a little more varied maps, I'd give it a 10.

Overall it's one great game. It looks very nice,
    but it also doesn't suffer from some gameplay issues that previous Tomb Raider titles had. For example, I don't think I ever missed a jump I was honestly trying to make, while the last few titles regularly had me jump into chasms because the aim was somewhat off. The world is also much nicer to explore with the usual collectibles and challenges, as well as optional puzzles. Also, like many recent games, this one includes a half arsed attempt at adding hunting as well. It works well enough but it's really nonconsequential and you don't really do it much unless you're going after the associated achievements.

For fans of the previous titles it's probably important to mention that this installment involves even more cover shooter gameplay than previous titles and less complicated puzzles. The shooter gameplay is really solid, though. And while you don't really get to avoid upgrades that let you reach more areas, you do get a say in what weapons Lara specializes in.

All in all, a very promising first episode in a rebooted Tomb Raider series that adds a lot more depth to Lara's (new) character than previous titles used to.
  78. Mar 16, 2013
    This game is awesome, I've took my time to finish it, not completely but most of it, including tombs, ruins etc... the graphics are really impressive, the gameplay is great, I'm playing with an Xbox controller and it is even better, it is very good optimized to PC unlike many other new games, the plot is very interesting, and the best thing is that you really want to know what will happen next, the suspense is maintain along the entire game.

Hoping to see another game like this in the future, Maybe Tomb raider 2 :D
  79. Mar 8, 2013
    I have no words that could describe the epic of new Tomb Raider. It cannot also be presents on any of the films or screens. You have to play it yourself! In my opinion, there is no team wchich is able to achieve that what Crystal Dynamics achieved. Yes, I have to say it loud the new Tomb Raider is the best game I've ever played
  80. Mar 7, 2013
    In short, Tomb Raider provides an amazing adventure and a wonderful experience. It intermixes and balances very well exploration, action, combat and story, alternating between those just with the right frequency so you’ll never grow weary of any one of them in particular. And each of them is not just superficial: they’re deep enough and enjoyable. Throughout the game you’ll see Lara’s character develop and build, and you will witness and experience her becoming what you know from the past games. It’s her origin story, and after finishing it you’ll feel she is reborn. I’ll go into more detail. The environments are beautifully realistic and atmospheric making the exploration very immersive. The visual presentation is stunning with various downright jaw dropping and/or even “magical” settings. There’s a lot of diversity in the locations, they’re not repetitive. Also, they are very well interwoven with the story and the “culture(s)” present in the island, with lots of personality. The weather and time of day keeps changing making it a joy to watch and also provides encouragement to revisit locations. I didn’t find the main path of the game too linear; there are lots of open spaces off that path you can explore. You’ll encounter the optional Tombs there. The puzzles you’ll encounter are mainly on them and aren’t that long or complex, so you’ll not be frustrated or bored, but have just the amount of challenge to make you pause and think. The pacing of the game and the unraveling of the story is just masterful. The way the scale evolves is very pleasing and exciting. Lara begins inexperienced, with limited capabilities and very scared, trying desperately to be reunited with her colleagues. You feel her vulnerability and desperation in face of the extreme circumstances she’s in and only with the support and encouragement of the expedition’s captain is she able to build up courage and confidence, thus progressively gaining new skills and determination. The level up system used for this is superbly designed, as the experience gained allows Lara to develop new skills that not only increase the gameplay possibilities but also develop and define Lara as a character. It’s exhilarating to witness and feel Lara’s growth in skills, confidence and determination. And you are growing along with her in your skill within the game. It truly made me feel like I was living the adventure. One detail I loved is that Lara sometimes “talks to herself” as she progresses in the environments. She often will be thinking out loud about how she can get where she needs or do what she must or comment on the history on documents and relics she finds, providing insightful information. In the action sequences she will also react to what’s going on with screams, groans of pain, etc. All this made the game more personal and involving. I found the combat to be very enjoyable and diverse, with just the right difficulty as to be tense without being frustrating. Sometimes you’ll have the option of using stealth, which is preferable particularly in the beginning where you’re not that powerful. In regular combat the enemies try to take cover and to flush you out of cover with grenades or molotovs. If you camp a little some will also try to use suppressive fire wire others try to get close. When that happens, the melee combat with its dodge-counter mechanics makes things feel very up close. I had no complaints about the AI. One remark that could be made is that Lara maybe gets a little too powerful, taking down various groups of enemies when she’s so young. Still, she never feels overly “Rambo” or “arcade”, and as the combat is so enjoyable it’s easy to “forgive” this. And nevertheless you’ll die sometimes and are thus always reminded of the imminent danger: some death animations are just brutal and make you really feel them. The ending was epic and memorable without being insanely over the top as to make it unbelievable. To finish, being a fan of Tomb Raider since the first game I had very high expectations and was very pleased to be impressed. Personally, I would have preferred if there were a little more Tombs and them being a little longer, but as the game is so well balanced and crafted I’m more than satisfied. Expand
  81. Mar 10, 2013
    I'm gonna keep it short and sweet, this game is fun, beautiful and a delight to play. I wasn't much of a Lara Croft fan in the past but this version has got a new fan. The developers should be rewarded for giving us a very good game. Go out and buy this game. Best thing is you can play it when you want not when the severs are working. Hint Hint Ea and Maxis
  82. Jul 26, 2013
    Good combat, exploration, and interactive cutscenes, but could use better weapon management, rpg mechanics, and survival gameplay mechanics.

This game feels like playing a movie, but in a good way. The action is fantastic, the game transitions between gameplay, cutscenes, and interactive events seamlessly, creating an experience that is exciting to watch but still keeps you on your
    toes. There is not a lot of dialogue, it is mostly action, but the action is done well.

The exploration is so-so. The levels sort of alternate between linear action levels with no need to explore, and slightly more open levels with loot to find. This keeps the game from getting too repetitive, which is nice. Acrobatics are pretty standard and not very challenging.

The weapon upgrade system is not great, but better than nothing I guess. You find Scrap which you use to upgrade your weapons, but it doesn't have a huge impact on how you will be using them. It is also pretty mindless: you just loot all the containers you see then craft what you can at campsites.

The RPG mechanics are an unnecessary add-on. You get XP from killing enemies and finding treasure, and spend the XP on skills, most of which are not game-changing.

This game tries to present itself as survivalism, but that is just a theme. You can hunt, but it only gets you XP. There is no need to look for food, water, etc. The game even has the ususal health regeneration that action games all have these days. The only resources are scrap and ammo.

Story is not bad. I am not a big Tomb Raider fan: they were too silly and sexist for my taste. This one is better, the main character is more human. The change feels a lot like comparing the James Bond movie Casino Royale to most of the earlier ones: this is more gritty, more human, and more interesting.

All in all, fun for a 14 hour playthough, and maybe another in a few months. It was entertaining, as action usually is, but don't expect more than that. I recommend getting it on sale.
  83. Mar 18, 2013
    Absolutely phenomenal game on PC. Pick it up. Worth every penny. This is what video games are all about. Single player mode that makes you feel like a hero.
  84. Apr 3, 2013
    I was having fun in this game, it's pretty solid, but I ran into a serious bug that prevented me from further playing the game. At one point in the game, I went the wrong way and explored an area I was suppose to explore later in the game. As a result, my game is now all bugged up and the quest will no longer progress. It's really sad, I was looking forward to finishing this game.
  85. Mar 12, 2013
    Absolutely loved this game and enjoyed every second of it. The story kept me interested throughout, action was pretty intense and didn't feel over the top or overused. I really liked the character development of Lara and her progression towards becoming that bad ass chick from the original games. I noticed some people complained about narrative and story not making sense, noticeably during scenes of Lara being upset and all of a sudden on a so called 'killing spree', i felt that the developers did as a furthering of character development in such a way so that Lara had to always be on her toes so to speak. Those reviews seemed to have a bias or an unwanting/not caring to understand Lara's journey so don't let them put you off. Graphically a beautiful game to witness, i had to slow down at times just to catch some cool shots of the island in its various weather conditions. Cinematic scenes, just wow tbh. The use of weapons was well integrated into game play and non seemed unnecessary the bow is one of the most satisfying weapons I've used in recent games and it almost feels wrong when not using it.

To sum it up, just buy it. It offers an enjoyable experience regardless of whether you're familiar with the older Tomb Raider titles.
  86. Mar 11, 2013
    Tomb Raider's return to form is an enthralling ride, a third person shooter recommended for all fans of action games. The overuse of QTEs does grate, and they are sadly frequently paired with on-rails "cinematic" set pieces in which gameplay becomes reduced to simply moving ahead and perhaps occasionally jumping while peril closes in, in true Indiana Jones fashion. Thankfully the game does intermittently give up on being a film, and at these times the player gets to experience some interesting puzzles and environments they can explore. The combat is competent and familiar, if forgettable, and gets too much focus at times. Tomb Raider gets enough right to be called an above average experience, though I recommend purchasing it when it's cheap. Expand
  87. Mar 5, 2013
    It is a very good game with likable characters in game like sam or new tomb. I have console version and pc if you have nvidia card mine is 550 ti) you can get high settings and good frame rate when turning of tessellation,high precise, normal for ssao and depth of field. Overal you should buy Tomb raider on both platform
  88. Mar 5, 2013
    There are only very few games that I can give 10 points. If a game gets 10, it is never 100% perfect but almost. What I lacked in this game was that Lara should have done more attractive and sexy. I rarely play a game more than 1 time but there are a few games I've played through more than one time and this is one of them. I will sleep well tonight
  89. Apr 16, 2013
    I didn't expect much to be honest, with the quick time events and the awkward story. But it surprised me in every way. The quick time events just fitted perfect, even when it was in-combat events. The story was interesting and made you carry on for hours just to complete the whole story.
  90. May 11, 2013
    We all know that Lara Croft is one of the most iconic characters in video games. And truth be told, Tomb Raide has always been my favorite gaming franchise of all time. However, now Crystal Dynamics has injected a more stellar energy to its veins. Tomb Raider is much bigger, better, more intense and spectacular. It is the Tomb Raider like you' have never seen before!
  91. Dec 24, 2013
    Although I have never played any other Tomb Raider Game before this, This game is highly recommended by me.
    The Setting, Characters, Gameplay all leads to an awesome adventure with Lara Croft.
    The Game is Superb.
  92. Aug 15, 2013
    Really great reconstruction of the Tomb Raider genre, with gripping game play and a good quality storyline. The world is beautiful and open for limited exploration, the controls are intuitive. I experienced several moments of intense vertigo during the game and a couple of surprise moments.

The different area stages of the game provide reasonable scope for completing a variety of side
    quests which aren't too imaginative, they aren't the boggling puzzles or acrobatic mazes of early Tomb Raider. My main criticism would be the slight repetition of the side quests and a short length of the game overall. Saying this, it may have grown tedious if it went on much further, or the visual quality of the game (which is top notch) may have suffered in exchange for more content.

Not a huge amount of replay value, the multiplayer I found a bit dull and doesn't really work very well, certainly not the strong point of the game. Non the less a decent game for the initial play through.
  93. Jan 15, 2014
    eins mal vorweg. ich bin eigentlich schon ein großer fan der tomb raider serie. doch was hier gemacht worden ist, ist nicht mehr tomb raider. es ist mehr ein shooter mit kletter einlagen und ein bissi schatzsuche. dieser teil hat wirklich nichts mehr mit tomb raider zu tun. außer dem namen. aber das ist nicht so schlimm, den das spiel ist eigentlich ganz ok. für meinen geschmack zu viele stupide action parts, was schon an uncharted erinnert und die schatzsuche ist einfach zu leicht. ich hätte mich eher auf ein tomb raider im alten stil gewünscht mit viel mehr kletter einlagen und rätsel. aber das ist ja für den großteil der heutigen jugend dann zu schwer und langweilig ;) Expand
  94. Nov 8, 2013
    The Tomb Raider seriously needed a reboot, and Crystal Dynamics did an awesome job. However, to cater to the new "impatient" and "less hardcore" generation of gamers that prefer "hand-holding" game play, the devs have killed most of Tomb Raider series' essence.

First the Good parts-
    Presentation is flawless, fans will love how Lara looks. Her pain, emotional trauma, the panic and fear
    she feels, is very believable. Never been so connected to a game character before. Lara is extremely vulnerable but she becomes deadlier as the game progresses. Good job.
    The combat is nice, on par with current gen the minor RPG element is present in a very acceptable level. And best of all, NO Leap-of-Faith moments like previous Tomb raider games. Camera work is excellent, which most 3rd person games still fail at accomplishing properly.

The Bads---
    Like i said before, the Tomb Raider element seems missing. This game borrows more from Uncharted series than it does from its predecessors. The puzzles are brain-dead easy, and every secret thing is shown and indicated with obvious symbols like chalk signs. Its like a huge Neon light showing you the way.
    The movement and jumping mechanics are plain bad. This is 2013, where if a character can maneuver mid air like Metroid & Contra of NES era, its plain unacceptable. Sure its not as simplified as Assassins Creed series, but stuffs like stuck in a uneven cliff/terrain and off animations simply doesn't cut it.
    Tomb raiding is added through off mission tomb raiding spots which are clear afterthought, placed there just for namesake. Game should have been renamed "Lara Craft origins" or something, the "Tomb Raider" element is almost nonexistent

An awesome game for
    1) The current gamer generation that likes a game to be a walk in the park
    2) Old TR fans who are tired of the age old game play

A bad game for
    1) Hardcore Tomb raider fans who love challenge and puzzle+tomb raiding element
    2) retards
  95. Jan 9, 2014
    The positive: great graphics, nice controls and playability, female hero, was really fun to play the first half.
    The negative: ludicrous story, and here and there unnecessary violent and bloody, becomes too repetitive after the first half of the game (I lost interest and never finished).

I wished that the developers could have focused more on puzzles, survival and story rather than
    forcing Lara to become a simple killing machine. For instance, it would have been nice elaborate on survival skills, hunting, building shelters and so on. This part exists in the game to some lesser extent, but is never really required for finishing. Expand
  96. Mar 13, 2014
    Played: Dec 2013 PROS: + Level design is quite good: the locations actually feel like parts of an island (the mountain village is especially good) + Several awesome action sequences CONS: - Story is pretty flimsy - Combat doesn’t feel quite right REVIEW: I picked this game up for $10 during steam’s end of year sale, and man was it a bargain! Running this game on a high-end PC allowed me to run, jump, and fight all over beautiful environments in what seems to be a popularized remake of a cult-favorite series. Beautiful environments aren’t everything, though: the prettiest game is still boring if you only move down an endless hallway. This is where Tomb Raider really shines-environments are interesting and varied. Cover is only important until you have killed all the baddies on the island (they don’t regenerate), but revisiting old areas to complete “find x objects” quests is still interesting because of the depth of the areas (most are at least 2-stories tall).
    The other main advantage this game boasts is the number of action sequences. I can think of four sequences right off hand where I literally said out loud “Man, this is awesome!” I’d hate to wreck any surprises by gushing about what they were, but a game that actually manages to be memorable should be worth a few dollars.
    Moving on to what didn’t go well, the story is frankly dumb. Sure the premise is cool: you are on an academic trip to find a long-lost culture and have to survive. Unfortunately the conclusion is pretty obvious from the beginning; the hints that are supposed to lead up to the surprise climax ending really just give away a pretty shallow plot. To their credit, however they at least attempted to fill it out with well-voiced audio clips that you find around.
    My other gripe is combat. This game feels like is was supposed to be about platforming and exploring but somebody said it was boring and a combat system had to be grafted in wholesale. You have four weapons plus some hand-to-hand skills to work with, but this is third-person action as we saw it in the mid-2000s with clunky weapons and occasionally awkward hitboxes. If you find yourself in really close proximity, there is an okay counter system but I found that it was more fun to avoid fights all together, sniping the guards with a bow so I could explore at leisure.
    BOTTOM LINE: This game has its weaknesses, but it is definitely worth your attention, especially if you can find it on sale!
  97. May 5, 2013
    This game is absolutely a fantastic experience. For me the gameplay is second to the story in this one. The story and the way the game tells it really catches you as a player and engages you in the game. The gameplay itself plus the RPG elements are nice but just above average.
  98. Mar 6, 2013
    EVERYONE SHOULD BUY THIS GAME!! Ok, maybe not everyone but just people who want to play a generic Uncharted clone starring whiny emotional sissy Lara Croft. But, despite many many flaws this game has, I am giving this game a PERFECT 10 because I want my voice to be actually heard out there. I had my original 4/10 review deleted because Square Enix apparently paid just about everybody off. Don't give it to all the hype if you are a true Tomb Raider fan and appreciate games for their gameplay, rather than just TressFX graphics of Lara's hair. Who the %$ck cares about the hair in video games?!! Peace out. Expand
  99. Mar 10, 2013
    This is an awful step away from the basic Tomb Raider concept. If this game was called not "Tomb Raider" it could get away with 5 or 6 as a boring action/"movie". But we are presented with THIS instead of acrobatic puzzle with big open levels what a good Tomb Raider game should be. So it does not deserve even 1 point.
  100. Mar 8, 2013
    Wow... just wow. This game was awesome in almost every aspect. I really enjoyed it to the last minute. The only thing that I would give a an 8.5/10 is the combat. There is just something about it. I played it on hardcore mode and it was not as challenging as i thought it would be. Also the weapons did not feel like were improved that much until the later parts of the game. The bow upgrades are absolutely sicknasty! Expand

1. Jun 10, 2013
    The new incarnation of the iconic Lara Craft might very well be one of the best games out there right now. [April 2013]
  2. Mar 30, 2013
    Everything you could want from an archeological adventure, except having to press six keys to mantle. [Apr 2013, p.80]
  3. Mar 19, 2013
    While not every promising idea Tomb Raider has is pulled off successfully, it nevertheless turns in a tense and memorable ride that combines modern game design with its forebears’ adventurous spirit in some exciting ways. Some of its missteps may well come at the cost of your enjoyment, but most can’t hope to hurt the adventure in the long run. Although it never fully finds its identity, this is a game and a story worth seeing through.