Tomb Raider PC

8.5

1. Jan 29, 2014
    My first foray into the Tomb Raider franchise was enjoyable. Tomb Raider is a good game that you should definitely check out. It's a third person action-adventure with some basic platforming and puzzle solving.The story is average for the most part, but on the last 1-2 levels the story really picks up and i became much more interested in it. The graphics are above average and theMy first foray into the Tomb Raider franchise was enjoyable. Tomb Raider is a good game that you should definitely check out. It's a third person action-adventure with some basic platforming and puzzle solving.The story is average for the most part, but on the last 1-2 levels the story really picks up and i became much more interested in it. The graphics are above average and the animations are okay, except that there are numerous clipping issues on Lara's basic movements, which is unacceptable. The sounds, music, effects and everything like that are good. The combat is a pretty average, really nothing to write home about, but it gets the job done. The involvement with the environment, and the development of Lara throughout the game is masterfully done. Lara's image will change from a pristine looking young lady in the beginning of the game to a rugged, experienced explorer in the end. Though, Lara herself is also one of the biggest flaws in the game. She just isn't believable at all. This is the problem with strong female protagonists. Females just don't have the physical strength or athleticism to make the actions Lara does believable. I mean, especially for an archaeologist who clearly has never done strength training to be able to pull herself up constantly is just laughable. And the terrible tacked on MP modes. Seriously, not every game needs multiplayer and Tomb Raider is yet another example of a game that would have highly benefited from having no MP mode at all. But on to the biggest problem with the game: The quick time events. My God, they are everywhere. I died more times because i missed a quick time event than I did in all other parts of the game combined. It's pathetic. Why do developers think that quick time events are fun? At the end of the game, right before the credits, it says "We have made the best game we possibly can" If your best game is this riddled with quick time events then someone needs to be fired. Honestly, it's embarrassing. I know it seems like a I ranted about a lot for a score of 8/10. But despite all of these flaws, I really did enjoy Tomb Raider more than most games. Expand
  2. May 3, 2013
    I had my fears they would f*** it up but it turned out far better than expected. The story is excellent, characters, upgrade system is good. I liked the collectibles a lot since they let me to learn more of the characters and game world. I just wish they put some real puzzles in the game.
  3. Mar 10, 2013
    This is a good game that is going to be overshadowed by a few other releases coming later this month. First, the good: Everything associated with this game is done well. From the gameplay to the story to the atmosphere, Crystal Dynamics has made a wonderful game that works very and, especially for a PC port, this game runs very smoothly and the flow it has makes it a great addition toThis is a good game that is going to be overshadowed by a few other releases coming later this month. First, the good: Everything associated with this game is done well. From the gameplay to the story to the atmosphere, Crystal Dynamics has made a wonderful game that works very and, especially for a PC port, this game runs very smoothly and the flow it has makes it a great addition to anyone's collection. The small things are what gets in its way. For a game called 'Tomb Raider', there's very little tombs to raid and, the ones that are in there, feel half assed and added at the very last second. With no other reason to do them beyond getting the achievement, there's really no incentive to doing them. I was hoping there would be some big item to get at the end of the tomb thing but there was not. But this is a little thing that doesn't affect the outcome of the game and that outcome is a very good one. The biggest issue this game will face is from the competition it faces this month. Between GoW: Ascension and Bioshock Infinite and others, this game will get left in the dust by other games that will probably just be more memorable than this one. It's kinda sad that a game with some great potential is going to be forgotten here in less than a month. Any sequels to this are now and forever on my radar. Give this game a chance and you won't be disappointed. Expand
  4. Jul 31, 2014
    After the excellent 1st and 2nd TR in the late 90's I'm coming back to Tomb Raider series after 15 long years and I'm happy to announce that this reboot is very well done in almost every way. Yes, there are some minor annoyances typical for modern games, like QTE, but it's not as bad to be able to destroy your experience here. Other than that I was happy with most things presented in thisAfter the excellent 1st and 2nd TR in the late 90's I'm coming back to Tomb Raider series after 15 long years and I'm happy to announce that this reboot is very well done in almost every way. Yes, there are some minor annoyances typical for modern games, like QTE, but it's not as bad to be able to destroy your experience here. Other than that I was happy with most things presented in this title, visuals, locations, weapons, gameplay, story. If all reboots were of this quality, this world would be a better place. 8/10 Expand
  5. Jan 14, 2016
    Keep in mind, as of this review I have not yet played other Tomb Raider games. With that said, I felt that this is one of the best, if not the best modern action/adventure game I have ever played. The story, dialogue, action sequences, combat and environments are all superb and I will probably get a lot of hate for this but... this easily beats Uncharted 1, 2 and 3.... We'll have to waitKeep in mind, as of this review I have not yet played other Tomb Raider games. With that said, I felt that this is one of the best, if not the best modern action/adventure game I have ever played. The story, dialogue, action sequences, combat and environments are all superb and I will probably get a lot of hate for this but... this easily beats Uncharted 1, 2 and 3.... We'll have to wait and see about Uncharted 4. Expand
  6. Oct 18, 2015
    Tomb Raider is one hell of a return of one of the most iconic female video game characters ever, although it still lacks things in some aspects to be called perfect.
  7. Aug 30, 2014
    A great return to modern gaming for this beloved franchise. The game has great action and platforming however does become slight Quick Time and Cut scene heavy through out.
    Very similar of playing this to the Batman Arkham games.

However plenty of positive here and one of the better games of this year.
  8. Jun 20, 2013
    This game was great in every aspect i played all the previous tomb raider but i didn't have this much fun ever the story the gameplay the graphics every thing is great in this game i also love the new lara croft she is sexy and i loved here accent i highly recommend this game and i wouldn't be surprised if it got the game of the year award and last thing to say in the credits they sayThis game was great in every aspect i played all the previous tomb raider but i didn't have this much fun ever the story the gameplay the graphics every thing is great in this game i also love the new lara croft she is sexy and i loved here accent i highly recommend this game and i wouldn't be surprised if it got the game of the year award and last thing to say in the credits they say "thank you for playing Tomb Raider" and i wanna say thank you for making this awesome game" Expand
  9. Sep 10, 2015
    I’m truly blown away by how good this game actually is! Astonishing visuals, smooth movement, no bugs, great combat and great realism! Many seem to have given up on the Tomb Raider franchise, but for me this has been my best gaming experience in quite some time! Personally, I've always loved Tomb Raider games (and always will) but this was such a fresh experience I couldn't comprehendI’m truly blown away by how good this game actually is! Astonishing visuals, smooth movement, no bugs, great combat and great realism! Many seem to have given up on the Tomb Raider franchise, but for me this has been my best gaming experience in quite some time! Personally, I've always loved Tomb Raider games (and always will) but this was such a fresh experience I couldn't comprehend someone not enjoying this title; unless you whole heartedly dislike action adventure games! For fans of the original series (despite peoples pessimism) all of what you loved from prior games is back and no this is not an “Uncharted” rip-off it’s Tomb Raider doing what Tomb Raider has always done; just in a fresh new way! Expand
  10. Jan 23, 2015
    This game is stunningly outstanding if you like shooting people down and exploring areas.

PROS
    -Outstanding graphics
    -Amazing Story
    -Fun combat/controls

CONS
    -Boring chunks of the game
  11. Sep 20, 2014
    While I don't normally like reboots that involve the "dark and gritty" treatment I think in the case of Tomb Raider it works in its favour. The game still manages to capture the essence of the 1996 original while still being an origin story chronicling Lara Croft's traumatic journey as she survives on a dangerous island. The plot is good, the gameplay is good, the graphics are good, theWhile I don't normally like reboots that involve the "dark and gritty" treatment I think in the case of Tomb Raider it works in its favour. The game still manages to capture the essence of the 1996 original while still being an origin story chronicling Lara Croft's traumatic journey as she survives on a dangerous island. The plot is good, the gameplay is good, the graphics are good, the voice acting is good, the music is good; there's not really much to fault with this game. And just when I was starting to lose my faith in AAA titles... Expand
  12. ERB
    Jan 21, 2014
    You guys should play this game.Tomb Raider is an absolute fun game.Tomb Raider is an open world game.In this game you can hunt for food and kill some bandits in the island.Tomb Raider is a beautiful game with It's realistic graphics and beautiful world.You must buy this game.You will really love this game.I bet you will have a lot of fun with this game.
  13. Apr 25, 2013
    Pros: 1) Combat animation & style. 2) Great graphics on PC 3) Really good stealth! 4) Story is satisfying, could have been better! 5) Interesting puzzles!
    Cons: 1) Storytelling is not great!
    Conclusion: Contender for Game Of The Year!
  14. Sep 9, 2016
    The best game of 2013. The prime example of how action adventure games should aspire to be in the modern age.

Great production values, great graphics, great sound, great voice acting. Tons of action, nice story, good cutscenes, seemless transition from cutscenes to gameplay and vice versa. The game engine is very optimized, obviously since it doesn't have Nvidia crippleworks(tm). The

The gameplay is satisfying and fun. The game is not very long, and you won't get bored until you finish it. You might make repeated walkthroughs. I did, and this is rare for me because i get bored easily, especially with story driven games, and i rarely play them again.

All in all, a very good game. I was bored to death with Tomb Raider games and stopped caring for them 15 years ago. But this reboot nailed it.

It is sickening that Bioshock Infinite got a 94 and this gem got a 86 on metacritic. Both have the same user score, it should tell you something.

Tomb Raider is GOTY 2013 and underrated on metacritic. If you don't own it yet, buy it.
  15. Mar 7, 2013
    Its good and it might even be a contender for "all time best" Tomb Raider game. As far as the franchise is concerned, it gave it a much needed breath of fresh air. The combat is fluid, the movement and control of you're control quite simply miles ahead of anything that's been done before. Gone are the days of "Tomb Raider cookie cutter adventure" titles, but now perhaps a return to formIts good and it might even be a contender for "all time best" Tomb Raider game. As far as the franchise is concerned, it gave it a much needed breath of fresh air. The combat is fluid, the movement and control of you're control quite simply miles ahead of anything that's been done before. Gone are the days of "Tomb Raider cookie cutter adventure" titles, but now perhaps a return to form and the first time a series reboot has actually meant something to newer players as well as old. Lara's upgrade system and the plot, though rather average, is still overshadowed by just about everything else it has to offer. Though linear in nature, it is a side of Lara Croft many thought we'd never get to see and those who are indeed so concerned about character changes might as well just admit: "They did a good job." Expand
  16. May 5, 2013
    This game is one of the most fun games i have bought this year. Its on my GOTY list with Bioshock Infinite and Dead Space 3 (Yes DS3, deal with it.) I never like Tomb Raider, but this reboot got it down just right. Its a great new twist on the series and i want to see a sequel. The only problems this game has is the the quicktime events ruin your experience sometimes. Youll be watching aThis game is one of the most fun games i have bought this year. Its on my GOTY list with Bioshock Infinite and Dead Space 3 (Yes DS3, deal with it.) I never like Tomb Raider, but this reboot got it down just right. Its a great new twist on the series and i want to see a sequel. The only problems this game has is the the quicktime events ruin your experience sometimes. Youll be watching a cutscene only for a the game to throw a "hit the e key" at you and make you die. On top of that, you have little time to react and if you hit the wrong one you die. It sometimes becomes a game of simon says as you try to remember the pattern of whats coming up next because youll die every time. Other than that its great game. Expand
  17. May 24, 2013
    Amazing game! Epic story, good graphics, perfect cinematics.... The only problem is the game is too short, but i belive they start right the new lara croft.
  18. Dec 12, 2015
    Gameplay : 9
    Graphics : 10
    Story : 8
    Sound : 10
    Overall : 9
  19. Jun 28, 2015
    I just recently got that game in its "game of the year" edition - and i cannot say that i am disappointed.

It looks amazing .. not just for the time it was released, but even in 2015 it still looks amazing. It runs great with tons of detail - and the revision of the concept kind of works for the franchise. It does come at a price though. - Not only once but several times i feel more

It does come at a price though. - Not only once but several times i feel more like watching a movie than playing a game. Lara moves on rails and the only effect my controls have are slightly adjusting the camera. (and that is not even the QTE events)
    Regarding the QTE events, especially combat ... i know that combat "looks" much more cinematic when it is done "on rails" via QTE. ... But lets be clear ... it "is" less intense than Tomb Raider 1 auto-aiming-running-in-circles-combat. And that one wasn t too complex either.. t just looked simpler.

I do love that many of the climbing and jumping elements are not as rediculous anymore as in previous games of Lara Croft. It is not realistic of course - but feels much more action and stealth oriented than "perfect-timing-jump-sequence" focused.

All in all it felt quite similar to games like Far Cry ... with rather painfully small and tunnel like levels (compared to the far cry series) - but then it does not claim to be open world, so that is ok.

UI and controls are well done and do not feel like some shoddy console to PC port. Keyboard and mouse controls work very well and are precise.

All in all, the game is well worth the money - it is tons of fun and even great to just watch someone else to play. As in almost every game ... the AI ... while not being as dumb as lets say .. a MMO game ... it still is stupid enough to just suicide run into the players line of fire.

In terms of difficulty levels ... to be frank... i d love to have much harder combat (classic combat) but no QTE. In my opinion - QTE is a waste of time to gain a good cinematic - and thats it. Too bad the difficulty setting cannot reflect that. If i wanted to play on hard mode, i d get my wish for harder combat - but also stricter QTE.

Still a 9/10 easily
  20. Jun 6, 2013
    Tomb Raider is a neatly packaged game. The visuals are great and the animations are nice and fluid. The environments are nicely designed and quite varied. The game also sounds great with enjoyable voice acting and the production values of the game is overall quite nice.

I personally really enjoyed the setting of the game and i liked the way the handled the story and character interactions. The shooting and jumping in the game is quite satisfying and i thought that it was varied enough for its appeal to last throughout the game. There are some annoying quicktime events here and there and the game is from time to time very much scripted and linear. But they do pull this off reasonably well and i found myself not hating the scripted nature of some of its gameplay.

But the game do also have some areas with more freedom which is a nice change of pace. The jumping puzzles in the game have taken a back seat for the shooting stuff and stylished jumping sequences. Personally i didnt mind since i am not a big fan of jumping puzzles but i do believe its worth mentioning. There is also a whole less tomb raiding than you would expect from a Tomb raider game. The tombs in the game are however quite enjoyable even though the puzzles aren't all that challenging.

The action in the game is quite enjoyable and i enjoyed that you could tackle different situations in a number of ways. The upgrade system is also a nice touch with unluckable silencers and stuff like that. The bow is also a fun weapon to use and it very much fits the setting of the game. One complaint i do have on the combat is the enemy variety. The humanoid enemies are varied enough but i believe that the game really would benefit from having more animal-based enemies. It would also really fit the setting to have stuff like big bears or some water based enemy in the game.

And while we are on the topic of the wild life. I do think that it is sad that the developers didn't expand on the hunting and gathering options in the game. That would have been a ton of fun and fitted the games setting. I did however enjoy the different collectibles a great deal.

Tomb Raider is to sum it up a pretty good game. It hardly reinvents the wheel and the scripted nature of the game and the way its quite action oriented may piss some people of. The game do however contain a quite good and meaty campaign and its definitely worth picking up if you are looking for a fun around 10 hour long campaign.
  21. Mar 19, 2013
    Summary: a worth buy due to good combat/upgrade system which makes the control good for adventure combat.

First of all, I am new to this series. So, I will comment more on the game system and plot. Combat/upgrade system: This incorporate many elements from several famous games, like dodging system (Alan Wake), cover taking/stealth kill/instinct (Hitman Absolution), character skill

Combat/upgrade system: This incorporate many elements from several famous games, like dodging system (Alan Wake), cover taking/stealth kill/instinct (Hitman Absolution), character skill upgrade (many action games have this nowadays), resource/weapon part collection (Dead Space 3). Its implementation is so good that the combat can be carried out smoothly with the help of above elements. Lara also interacts with the environment flawlessly, she knows to take cover when needed to, and crouch for stealth encounter when needed to. Very smart indeed. The character skill upgrade are generally helpful as well, but balancing. The use of visual icons to prompt for QTE is generally user friendly to players as well. Excellent.

Plot/Adventure: As a reboot from series, Lara starts as a newbie, and she gets more skill/tactics as she advances through the story, which also allows some back-tracking to previous places for treasure hunting. A good setting! And the developers have guts as well, if it needs to have gore and violence in order to present the cult atmosphere, so it will be. Good try.

Optional quests Action: The game also does not deviate from its main purpose. Yes, tomb raider! So, visiting optional tomb, finding treasures via solving puzzles or climbing jumping, with some cool and exciting jump drop in between. By doing so, players can have some understanding about items, and gain more XP for skill upgrade, a good incentive and fun way to enhance the game play, rather than simply killing enemies.

Overall, a good combat and adventure system and character development throughout the game, with the nice elements implemented, it is really fun to explore the island and complete the side quests.
  22. Apr 16, 2014
    I played the original TR back on the PS1 and have touched a couple of the other ones and was never really that sucked in. This one however is amazing. There is a mix of stealth, gun play, puzzles and story that kept me entertained the whole time. Such a huge improvement that I can't wait for a sequel now.
  23. Jan 5, 2014
    The technically far superior version of the game (till the Definitive edition arrives) is every bit as good as its other versions. This is one suberb game, one of the finest of 2013 and of its generation. The PC version really looks the part and is till now of the best-looking games on all platforms.
  24. Nov 8, 2014
    I ended up liking this game more than I thought I would. Lara Croft proves herself to be totally awesome in this game- her attitude grows from scared and sheltered to a much more confident self, eventually becoming the woman that we all know her to be. This journey is fantastic because it's gradual, and the player doesn't really even realize the shift until near the end, when Lara startsI ended up liking this game more than I thought I would. Lara Croft proves herself to be totally awesome in this game- her attitude grows from scared and sheltered to a much more confident self, eventually becoming the woman that we all know her to be. This journey is fantastic because it's gradual, and the player doesn't really even realize the shift until near the end, when Lara starts verbally taunting enemies and is fully confident in her abilities. Unfortunately, she's the only real character in this game- the rest are cookie-cutter stereotypes pulled from any other genre. Is this game just a ripoff of Uncharted? Maybe- the only thing that sets it apart is the upgrading system of weapons, where your weapons can pick up new and interesting powers along the course of the game. You can level up lara herself, but this is much less interesting- you end up getting lots of powers you could care less about and don't really use that often. Luckily, the gun upgrades are a bit more meaningful. I found the gunplay in this game to be highly satisfying, if only because I enjoyed challenging myself by using the bow much more than I used any other weapon. Finally, the ending to this game is honestly the greatest moment in gaming I've experienced this year. It was worth all the hours I put into beating the single player (only 11 hours) in order to reach the one climactic moment. I recommend this game to just about anyone interested in a mature journey (last note: there were quite a few F-bombs in this game, so be aware if you're sensitive to things like that). Expand
  25. Nov 20, 2013
  26. Mar 20, 2013
    A successful reboot of a long-going series, the new Tomb Raider is pretty much summing up most of the recent gaming trends in one. The plot reminds of Far Cry 3 (I am aware that they were developed simultaneously) a story of setting the character, "a survivor is born", and of Uncharted (yeah, one can't avoid comparing TR to this action-adventure golden standard) adventuring in mythic landsA successful reboot of a long-going series, the new Tomb Raider is pretty much summing up most of the recent gaming trends in one. The plot reminds of Far Cry 3 (I am aware that they were developed simultaneously) a story of setting the character, "a survivor is born", and of Uncharted (yeah, one can't avoid comparing TR to this action-adventure golden standard) adventuring in mythic lands with supernatural stuff closer to the end. A point where Tomb Raider loses to the mentioned Uncharted series are the secondary characters they aren't near as likeable as in the latter, and mostly worse written the only character you actually get to like is the one that's given sufficient screen time Conrad Roth. I actually felt sorry for the old warrior. The game's overall tone is gritty and dark, and that's what makes the plot quite inconsistent with the gameplay Lara whines and moans a lot (damn frequently the game actually sounds like a porno), cries over her dead comrades and after making her first kill in the cutscenes, but then the gameplay leads you to brutally murder dozens of random people. The gameplay itself is fun, killing (especially with the bow) feel satisfying, puzzles are short but well-made and actually require you to think and action setpieces are gripping. The campaign is structured as Batman: Arkham Asylum, so it isn't exactly open-world, but you may revisit the deserted locations to finish collecting stuff only you won't really want to do it after the main storyline. As for multiplayer, it's quite bland, a poor version of Uncharted's. To sum up, Tomb Raider is not exactly a gem, it doesn't bring anything new to the genre, but nevertheless it's a potent game and a great set-up for the future games (And boy, will there be sequels) Expand
  27. Jan 1, 2014
    Excellent game. I didn't find the characters and story as intriguing as other players did, but it still holds up very well. It follows a different formula than the old school Tomb Raider games, and in a good way. The controls are excellent and you'll never run out of action.

The only negative thing I have to say about the game is the quicktime events. Some of them are done well, but a lot of them are very rushed and you may find yourself dying over and over until you get them right.
  28. Apr 22, 2013
    Thoroughly enjoyable romp, with some jaw-dropping settings, atmosphere and perilous Croft-action. Lacks some of the puzzles and and feeling of totally getting lost that used to be part of the staple for the original three games, so there's a distinct lack of a mechanical challenge for the player. The story is also rather standard fare, and that's why I'm giving this reboot an 8 out of 10.Thoroughly enjoyable romp, with some jaw-dropping settings, atmosphere and perilous Croft-action. Lacks some of the puzzles and and feeling of totally getting lost that used to be part of the staple for the original three games, so there's a distinct lack of a mechanical challenge for the player. The story is also rather standard fare, and that's why I'm giving this reboot an 8 out of 10. I cannot fault the game, however for its ambition and detail with the level-design. Combat was solid enough and upgrades to Lara's weapons and tools were a cool feature. Let's have a bigger and badder sequel soon please! Expand
  29. May 28, 2013
    I like the previous Tomb Raider games also, but this one... this one tops them all. Before, the foundation of Tomb Raider was it's game-play, caring much less about story, characters or even graphics. However, this one has them all. The story is well written and though out, the characters are interesting, the game-play is much more complex and witty, and the graphics are beautiful. AmazingI like the previous Tomb Raider games also, but this one... this one tops them all. Before, the foundation of Tomb Raider was it's game-play, caring much less about story, characters or even graphics. However, this one has them all. The story is well written and though out, the characters are interesting, the game-play is much more complex and witty, and the graphics are beautiful. Amazing game. By far 10/10. Expand
  30. May 8, 2013
    A lot of people are calling this a "linear, scripted, on-rails game". This is far from the truth, Tomb Raider is a great action game, and yes it does have it's linear moments, with QTE's every once in a while, BUT as an ADVENTURE game Tomb Raider gets it juuust right, yes, it's not completely open-world, however the locations in this game are quite large for a third-personA lot of people are calling this a "linear, scripted, on-rails game". This is far from the truth, Tomb Raider is a great action game, and yes it does have it's linear moments, with QTE's every once in a while, BUT as an ADVENTURE game Tomb Raider gets it juuust right, yes, it's not completely open-world, however the locations in this game are quite large for a third-person action/adventure, and they encourage exploration, for example: The extensively large map is divided into different locations and at one point in the game (I'm about 1/3 of the way through the game at the moment) a certain event occurs where pretty much half of a particular area opens up for you to explore places that weren't available previously, so you can choose to carry on with the adventure OR choose to explore a bit more and find interesting stuff like ancient journals or upgrades for your weapons. Then there's the length of the game, my oh my was I surprised when I was about 10 hours into it and I realized I was just barely getting towards the half-way point of the map. This game is worth every penny, whether you want an extensive action/adventure experience, or you just want something to keep you busy for about 10-12 hours, it's all about choice Expand
  31. May 11, 2013
    There is something special about a game that sucks you in and makes you feel so involved you forget you're playing; suddenly you are part of that game. Tomb Raider is one of those titles. It is an artistic achievement. The graphics, level design and sound effects make the overall experience better than the average movie. The gameplay is so fluid you feel like you are Laura, there is noThere is something special about a game that sucks you in and makes you feel so involved you forget you're playing; suddenly you are part of that game. Tomb Raider is one of those titles. It is an artistic achievement. The graphics, level design and sound effects make the overall experience better than the average movie. The gameplay is so fluid you feel like you are Laura, there is no awkwardness found in other titles such as assassin's creed. The character constantly does exactly what you want it to. Everything is realistic except of course the rambo style survivability which is to be expected in any entertaining title. It seems nobody has ever complained about your character being overpowered to survive onslaughts in any title for the past 100 years yet now that the main character is a girl it's an issue. I couldn't stop from beginning to end, and it was better made than Uncharted, and simply superior in many ways, namely controls, story, and environmental effects. There are however some good issues raised by some of the more critical reviews, for example the fact that the game is now more linear than a classic tomb raider game. To this I respond, there are two ways to make a great game, do something different or do like the rest but make it better. The second approach was taken. And still, being a classic tomb raider fan, it's in my book without a doubt the best tomb raider game yet. Expand
  32. Mar 6, 2013
    This game is by far the best Tomb Raider in the series. It is very well polished, the graphics are excellent, the story is great so far and the gameplay is really excellent. The game has a few too many quick-time and cut scene sequences for my liking, but they do add to the story and the excitement I guess. Its clear the developers put a lot of effort into the game and I'd say its wellThis game is by far the best Tomb Raider in the series. It is very well polished, the graphics are excellent, the story is great so far and the gameplay is really excellent. The game has a few too many quick-time and cut scene sequences for my liking, but they do add to the story and the excitement I guess. Its clear the developers put a lot of effort into the game and I'd say its well worth buying, even at full price. Expand
  33. Dec 4, 2015
    Lara is back! good history, its feels like a movie,the tombs are great and well designed also it has amazing graphics and superb artwork i think its one of the best 3rd person shooters of the past generation.
  34. Mar 30, 2013
    Tomb Raider reboot is an amazing start. LAra croft arrives at a mysterious island, and as you probably expect the story will start. Our new lara still looks like the old lara but the minimal changes made in design of her in fact made her more perfect than before. She doest hold up her signature dual guns, instead she holds a bow which is quiet match with the nature of the game). She is inTomb Raider reboot is an amazing start. LAra croft arrives at a mysterious island, and as you probably expect the story will start. Our new lara still looks like the old lara but the minimal changes made in design of her in fact made her more perfect than before. She doest hold up her signature dual guns, instead she holds a bow which is quiet match with the nature of the game). She is in more trouble than she was before as well. Tomb raider truly has become more action than you expect, the story is being told fast and seems quiet quickly, however it has not much of a depth, but its just an excuse to introduce a new Lara. In this game you will feel her...she will let you know how scared she is, you will hear her thoughts and all this amazing things together made her character just as perfect as other cool video game characters. Gameplay is all about surviving, solving few puzzle, quick time events and platforming. Overall sometimes the actions gets boring, but it holds up very well as you discover new parts of island. Every part has its own optional Tomb where you can find more loot for upgrades upon solving a simple physic based puzzles. Each area is quiet big and lets you to discover for collectibles. Areas have different design which makes the game not to be boring. Sadly enemy types are quiet same untill the very end of the game but still their AI holds up a good action for the gamer. Finally TOmb raider is kind of a flawless game and its really recommended to everyone who hated the series or loved it im sure this game will change your mind about tomb raider series. Expand
  35. Mar 26, 2013
    I knew this wasn't going to disappoint considering this Tomb Raider was inspired in one of the best PS3 games, the Uncharted Series.
    This is a fantastic reboot and a step in the right direction. I just hope we get a sequel soon, because i loved and enjoyed every minute and completed it %100.

The environment and the atmosphere is insane, the storyline is really good. It's amazing how Lara personality change over the course of the game in her first adventure. She changes from a naive and scared Lara Croft, to the badass Lara we all know from the past installments.
    The gameplay is fantastic and it adds a lot of value the fact that you can fast travel and go back to the beginning of the game to collect whatever you left behind during your playthrough. I enjoyed a lot going back to different areas after finishing the game, just to enjoy the beautiful scenery of the island without being chased by freaks trying to kill me.

The only thing they could have improved is the MP, which is not that good when you compare it with Uncharted MP. But still, when you play a Tomb Raider game, you play it for its single played and the storyline.

What else can i say?. Tomb Raider is one of my favorite franchise since my very childhood when the first TR came out. This really was a nice surprise and i hope they keep making more like this. They did a tremendous job with this game and even if competition is tough this year, i hope it wins the GOTY or some other awards.
  36. Mar 22, 2013
    Absolutely amazing! This game is so engaging and I could not put down my controller for hours and hours. Interesting story, fine combat mechanics, exciting adventures! The game has much to do even after the main story. Revisiting areas with new gears and find collectibles. Watching how Lara change and grow throughout the game is also very intriguing. Buy it.
  37. sft
    Oct 13, 2014
    A raider reborn

A raider reborn

I thoroughly enjoyed this game (this is the first TR game I’ve played so I can’t compare it with Lara’s previous outings) and, a few gripes aside, it deserves a place in my current top 10. Visually, this game is very striking. It also has a pretty good AI and enjoyable combat. The voice acting is good, and the storyline, despite being conventional, is better than average. The mix of exploration, puzzle-solving, combat, and parkour-style platforming is well-balanced and satisfying and gives the game a much broader scope than most. A couple of the QTEs are annoying, but on the whole the set-pieces are well choreographed, impressively designed, and fun to complete. The save system is also a little frustrating, especially if you happen to mistime a jump halfway between checkpoints (sadly us PC gamers are used to this). Overall TOMB RAIDER is an impressive example of excellent game design and is immensely enjoyable to play.

4.5/5
  38. Apr 21, 2014
    It's extremely rare I give a game a full 10, but this is it! Combat dynamics, story, variety, drama, this game has it all! You feel like you're in a movie. Graphics are gorgeous, voice acting is top notch, xbox 360 controller integration is perfect, and the pacing never lets up.

If you want a tightly scripted and superbly-paced action game, you need to play this. I can't think of anything better.
  39. May 2, 2013
    It's highly recommended that you find all relics, hidden tombs and special challenge items before the last big fight, as it will make your character stronger! Definitely a great game, take your time with it.
  40. Oct 27, 2013
    Easily the best Tomb Raider game. There are a mountain of positives and a mole hill of negatives. I've been a long term fan of this series and one of those people that bought the original of PS1. At the time, that was a benchmark game in every aspect. Fast forward to this, the 2013 edition, I honestly feel this surpases the original in every area. The graphics have to be highlightedEasily the best Tomb Raider game. There are a mountain of positives and a mole hill of negatives. I've been a long term fan of this series and one of those people that bought the original of PS1. At the time, that was a benchmark game in every aspect. Fast forward to this, the 2013 edition, I honestly feel this surpases the original in every area. The graphics have to be highlighted as a point of reference. Seriously, the level of detail is simply stunning and I don't own a better looking game. Set this to Ultra and you'd think you were watching a movie. The soundtrack, gun noises, attention to detail as Lara moves, the story telling, the cast, the dirt on her face, the wind in her hair, etc this list could go on and on. I'm tempted to give this a 10 because it really is that good. As I often say in my reviews, I do not understand other peoples take on games. How can this game (at its absolute worst) be anything less than a 7??? Seriously, those who hate on this game (or games in general) need a mirror. Sadly, the internet is making 'The World' a place for unnecessary venting. My opinion may not be right, but marking Tomb Raider a ZERO is utter BS. Such a shame that there is so much hate in modern day society. Expand
  41. Jan 21, 2014
    This was the biggest gaming surprise I’ve had in a while. I expected a lame rehash from a stale franchise. Instead, I’m happy to announce that Tomb Raider is an incredibly fun and intense experience that has resurrected Lara Croft.

I played the original years ago and while it was fun at the time the formula got old quickly and I could not get interested in the sequels. It was roughly 90% intricate, drawn-out puzzles & platforming with 10% miserable combat sprinkled in. What they’ve done is rebalance the game mechanics so it focuses much more on combat (which is oh-so-fluid) and the puzzles & platforming are more of a side dish. I think this works because it keeps the game moving along.

For example, there are optional tombs you can raid, but they are very small areas with only one puzzle that won’t take you more than 10 minutes to solve. This is a little disappointing, I’ll admit. I would like to have a little more meat to the puzzles, but I will take the short ones over getting bogged down in a 45-minute labyrinth.

RPG elements have been introduced, as well. There is a lot of optional stuff you can do in this game which will yield experience to make Lara stronger through special skills as well as finding “salvage” which is used to improve your weapons in certain ways (more damage, less recoil, etc). Special journals can be found, too, which help to unravel the mystery of the island you’re on.

Another brilliant touch is how they’ve tweaked exploration. Each area has several sets of secrets to uncover but you don’t have to find them all before you move on (some will require items you don’t have yet, anyway). You discover campsites as you play and can fast travel between them. This lets you focus on having fun instead of feeling obligated to gut an area’s secrets right away to avoid a lengthy backtrack to an earlier area. It makes things so nice.

The game is gorgeous, too. Environments are beautiful & smartly designed so they feel very open with lots of nooks & crannies to peek in and usually multiple paths to traverse around obstacles.

As I mentioned earlier, combat is fluid and thrilling, the exact opposite of how it was in the original game. Head shots with fire arrows never get old, and the AI is smart. Ranged opponents will throw fire bombs to flush you out of cover or shoot guns at you while melee opponents will zip line in to close on you. And there are so many gratifying ways to kill them. Stick an arrow shaft through their neck with your hand at close range, dig your climbing axe into their back for a stealth kill, hit a guy right as he’s about to throw dynamite resulting in a friendly fire explosion, etc.

The story is very good, too. Games rarely make me want to play to find out what happens next anymore. Usually the story is something bland & serviceable to keep me level grinding. I really like the narrative in TR, though. Quite unrealistic, of course, but still enjoyable.

And if you’re concerned, keyboard & mouse controls work just fine. This is not one of those sloppy console ports that is unplayable w/out a gamepad.

The only knock I have against this game is the use of quick time events. QTEs are something I want to see go away and never come back. I am tired of the “press E to awesome” gameplay mechanic. However, Tomb Raider doesn’t rely too heavily on them and they are at least presented in a very dramatic way, so don’t listen to any commenters saying the game is nothing but cutscenes & QTEs. The beginning is admittedly slow and has a lot of them, but that’s because you haven’t gotten your weapons yet. Once you get armed, you encounter them a lot less. The QTEs don’t ruin the game and only end up being a very minor annoyance.

There is also the obligatory multiplayer mode that all video games are apparently required by law now to include. I don’t know anything about it and I will probably never play it. It’s an extra thing if you want it, but know that the single player campaign is not lacking at all.

If you like action games, you should definitely pick this one up. Tomb Raider had lost several steps over the years but is now running like a more polished version of Playstation’s Uncharted series, with better combat & storytelling. A very nice surprise that is worth your attention.
  42. Dec 27, 2013
    The old Tomb Raider games are average at best in my opinion, so this game came as a surprise for me. It has everything a good adventure needs and is a little more realistic and serious than the original games, which makes it so much better. The only bad thing I can bring up are the quick time events.

Best remake of a video game series and one of the best games of 2013.
  43. Jul 27, 2015
    Tomb Raider Definitive Edition went on sale on Xbox One and i decided to pick it up and i am glad i did.

Story The Story in Tomb Raider is a pretty interesting tale and although not the best story written, it offers up some intriguing aspects, as well as great character development from Lara. Id say she is one of the better written characters i have seen. Unfortunately the same cant

Story

The Story in Tomb Raider is a pretty interesting tale and although not the best story written, it offers up some intriguing aspects, as well as great character development from Lara. Id say she is one of the better written characters i have seen. Unfortunately the same cant be said for her companions.

Gameplay

The gameplay is great and feels so smooth and the combat is very fluent and fun. The progression system, and upgrading your guns/equipment is satisfying, and i loved upgrading my gear only to reveal that it allowed me to access previously unreachable places. The Raiding of tombs was one of the best parts of exploring the island, and the sense of wonder when you find one is great.

Graphics/Presentation

The Definitive edition offers up some nice graphics and smooth gameplay, as i rarely had any hiccups throughout my playthrough. The lighting effects are great and textures were smooth.

Tomb Raider was a pleasant surprise for me, with fun combat, great exploration and leveling, as well as a sense of wonder from exploring the tombs. The collectibles are also well done as they are not simply rubbish to collect and offer unique backstory and intriguing lore about the past cultures on the island.
  44. May 25, 2014
    In this newer installment of Tomb raider series, we follow the young Lara's first adventure which starts her career as a treasure hunter.

Story-wise, I think this game's content is quite confusing sometime. Unlike Nolan's Batman Begins in which Bruce Wayne became a fighter after years' training, Lara 's growth from a naive college student to an expert adventurer is so quick that it makes little sense. I think the developers made the main story first then attached a origin story of Lara on it as a selling point. To me, it would be better making it just another story of Lara, but the stunt of "origin story" may attract larger audience.

The strong aspect of the game is the presentation. This time, Tomb Raider completely abandoned the old gameplay formula and is more akin to Uncharted and Batman Arkham series, but the result, I have to say, is fluent and beautiful. It has none of the movement or camera problems from previous games and everything moves fluidly. The gameplay is great too. Tomb Raider introduced new ways of fighting enemies: covered gun-fighting, stealth killing, and sneaking which eventually makes the game very pleasant to play.

Overall it's still a great action/adventure game with believable world and characters except for Lara's unbelievable transform. I will certainly recommend this game.
  45. May 7, 2013
    One of, if not the best big title game I have played in the past two years. To start, the story, setting art quality and everything is absolutely astounding. The Pros: The graphics, The graphics are amazing and the game is well coded as the game run perfectly smooth under the right settings with 60+ FPS constantly. The sound effects and voice acting are really well done. I also loved theOne of, if not the best big title game I have played in the past two years. To start, the story, setting art quality and everything is absolutely astounding. The Pros: The graphics, The graphics are amazing and the game is well coded as the game run perfectly smooth under the right settings with 60+ FPS constantly. The sound effects and voice acting are really well done. I also loved the 3rd person shooting exspereince. The cover system, wall hugging, (Which work way better then most dedicated shooter games with this mechanic) including all the other animations really add to the obvious hard work that was put into this game. I mean, everything visually and the audio were all well done and really add to the immersion. The story is fantastic and I found myself looking in every corner to find all the artifacts to learn more. I also loved the slight RPG element of ranking up Lara's powers and tweaking out her weapons was a nice touch! I haven't had this much fun in a mostly single player game since Metro 2033 in 2010! I also loved how this game rewards exploring the island rather then other games that kinda steer you to powering through the level without any consideration for games details. Also unlike most games made these days that are so heavily flawed with bugs and glitches, this game had near to none and was extremely stable! During my 20 hours of game(Which is a lot of content and is totaly worth the price) I only have one game crash. I could go on and on, but to wrap this up; the reason this game did not get a 10 is as follow. Cons: What I did not like that was throughout the entire game was the abundance of ammo and the games overall difficulty. In a survival game I expected ammo to be scarce, particularly for fire arms. But, what I found was i was constantly full on ammo 90% of the time in the game. I found myself trying to waste ammo rather then hording it simple because there was so much laying around and on enemies. Also was the games difficulty, I started and played the game on HARD. The combat is pretty easy, unless you do something really stupid as run out in the open; you really can't die. The puzzles are really simple and easy to figure out, Tombs I expected were to be hard and dangerous mini-dungeons, but in reality each of the tombs were hardly deadly at all save maybe a few falls with no enemies guarding the treasures. So over all the game was actually pretty easy, also weapons are extremely accurate even at long ranges such as with the Bow or the Handgun. My last thing was the game did emphasize on exploration and you can explore A LOT of key land marks in the game, almost every prop was explorable, but at the same time you do have invisible walls. I was hoping for a more open world environment to explore rather then almost every level being set in some type of canyon, small basin, narrow passage or every environment where you constantly have walls on both sides or a bottomless canyon. Besides those things, this game is flawless and a must buy must play. You will not be disappointed! This game surely is fun and totally worth the price! Expand
  46. Nov 16, 2013
    Great game! But the game still feels less involving compared to The Last Of Us. Why? Even with better graphics and framerates, TR's adventure is all about being exploring & fighting all alone. Thus, only Lara's character is properly developed, but not any other supporting characters. TLOU is way more magical as it gets you fully immersed in the relationship between Ellie & Joel. Lara isGreat game! But the game still feels less involving compared to The Last Of Us. Why? Even with better graphics and framerates, TR's adventure is all about being exploring & fighting all alone. Thus, only Lara's character is properly developed, but not any other supporting characters. TLOU is way more magical as it gets you fully immersed in the relationship between Ellie & Joel. Lara is just Lara. I think we need Lara to start having a serious relationship with someone else, explore caves together & go into battle together. Its more fun with "friends", even if they're AI bots. Other than this lonely feel to this game, the rest of the game is simply brilliant! Loved the highs & lows of the game. Decent length & a good story (unlike the ultra-short piece of crap called BF4). I'm glad the puzzles have been toned down, to keep the story moving. Those who like puzzles can always explore the optional caves. I prefer the main quests to enjoy the story on 1st playthrough. Well, looking forward to Tomb Raider 2! Expand
  47. Dec 25, 2013
    SINGLE PLAYER ONLY REVIEW
    If you're expecting this reboot to be anything like previous Tomb raider games, than toss those expectations aside because that is not what you'll get. That's not to say this is a poor game, but it is certainly a change in direction from Crystal Dynamics.
    SINGLE PLAYER ONLY REVIEW

Everything in this game is pretty solid and works quite well, from the story and character development, to visuals and sound design. A sigh of relief for the much improved shooting sequences and camera angles as well. Despite this, nothing in the game is particularly outstanding. It's good, but not great.

Some issues for me included the ridiculousness of some scenes. On occasion, some sequences looked like they were straight out from a Michael Bay movie. Lara's constant commentary on very minor details was also a bit annoying for me. I was also hoping the game would make more liberal use of it's platforming mechanics, with more complex puzzles. And while the title 'Tomb Raider' suggests you'll be raiding tombs most of the time, this isn't really the case. More actual tomb raiding would've been nice, though combat sequences are still quite fun.
  48. Mar 5, 2013
    This is one of those games where you get so involved with the character and with the visuals surrounding it. The story line is amazing the sound effect are awesome. The multiplayer is even not that bad I actually enjoyed playing a litle bit of it. I think this is one of my favorite so far this year.
  49. Mar 17, 2013
    Tough one to review. Lara took my gaming cherry in her first outing on PS1 and as such will always be my first true love,and there are some nice nods to the original in this reboot (First "kill" is some wolves which will ring some bells for those who remember TR1). Two big pluses about this incarnation of Tomb Raider (seriously... don't even go there) are Lara and the Island itself. ThisTough one to review. Lara took my gaming cherry in her first outing on PS1 and as such will always be my first true love,and there are some nice nods to the original in this reboot (First "kill" is some wolves which will ring some bells for those who remember TR1). Two big pluses about this incarnation of Tomb Raider (seriously... don't even go there) are Lara and the Island itself. This is the story of a young womans right of passage, and Lara's strengths, weaknesses
    and inexperience both physically and emotionally are explored in such a way that fleshes out a gaming Icon in a very human way,with the Island a perfect counter point, at times deadly and threatening and other time beautiful and nurturing. For these two things alone this is a Must Buy.
    I feel and share the pain of those unhappy with QTE, and the lack of the joy of discovery and puzzle solving that made TR1 such a success. After the first 30 minutes you feel like screaming "I WANNA PLAY TOO!!!" as you are lead from one cut scene to another but bear with it. As you gain more skill and gear upgrades the game gets better and better and you will be rewarded with your patience.
    If you are looking for a new-gen upgrade of the Old Tomb Raider I fear you are going to be disappointed, but for old times sake I urge you to embrace the New Tomb Raider.
  50. Mar 8, 2013
    I hate to compare this to uncharted, but it is all most impossible, but this should be seen as a complement. This game does every Uncharted does, and in my opinion much better. The story is great, and it had me interested from beginning to end, Lara is played brilliantly well, even if her transition from average girl to full blown badass is jarring. It plays great, the combat, to myI hate to compare this to uncharted, but it is all most impossible, but this should be seen as a complement. This game does every Uncharted does, and in my opinion much better. The story is great, and it had me interested from beginning to end, Lara is played brilliantly well, even if her transition from average girl to full blown badass is jarring. It plays great, the combat, to my surprise is very enjoyable. The cover system is one of the best I have seen, it's seamless and never slows down the action, the guns and bow feel great. The platforming is simple, and not to challenging, but none the less it's still fun and make for some really great cinematic moments. The game defiantly is not as puzzle heavy as the previous game, but there are puzzles, and they are fun. The game looks fantastic, full of colour, varied environments and never noticed texture pop in, frame rate slows down sometime but never enough to ruin the experience.But Multiplayer is bad a poor man uncharted Expand
  51. Aug 2, 2013
    Co najbardziej brakowało Larze? Odświeżenia. Po Underworld twórcy świetnie wpadli na pomysł rozpoczęcia wszystkiego od nowa. Za nową część odpowiadało również inne studio, które jest uzdolnione, dobrze podeszło do robienia Tomb Raider'a, lecz nie za bardzo robiło tą grę jak Tomb Raidera... Gra wygląda ładnie, co prawda momentami można narzekać na kiepsko wyglądające tekstury, ale ogólnaCo najbardziej brakowało Larze? Odświeżenia. Po Underworld twórcy świetnie wpadli na pomysł rozpoczęcia wszystkiego od nowa. Za nową część odpowiadało również inne studio, które jest uzdolnione, dobrze podeszło do robienia Tomb Raider'a, lecz nie za bardzo robiło tą grę jak Tomb Raidera... Gra wygląda ładnie, co prawda momentami można narzekać na kiepsko wyglądające tekstury, ale ogólna otoczka wygląda ładnie. Twórcy świetnie pokazali nam nową Larę, w której można zakochać się nawet bardziej niż w poprzedniej. Fabuła wciąga, chodź jest tu wiele nie wykorzystanego potencjału. Ogólnie gra do połowy jest naprawdę udana, a wręcz prawie idealna. Od połowy staję zwykłą strzelanką na miarę Call of Duty. Brakuje tu zagadek z klasycznych Tomb Raiderów, ogólnie po połowie gry jest tu za dużo strzelania. Twórcy byli naprawdę blisko aby nowy Tomb Raider zyskał tytuł gry roku, szkoda. Moja ocena 8/10 Expand
  52. Jan 9, 2016
    I love this game. Great action and adventure game with a good story, amazing graphics and terrifying scenes. I really hope Rise of tomb raiders lives up to this game.
  53. Jun 7, 2013
    It's hard to not like this game. It's really great to look at, the story is fun, the narrative clicks along nicely, and the gameplay is engaging. What makes it shine though is the revision of Lara Croft from a fan service brain on boobs to a believable and real young woman. She is still sexy, but she is sexy for the right reasons: because she is fierce, intelligent, capable, and faces herIt's hard to not like this game. It's really great to look at, the story is fun, the narrative clicks along nicely, and the gameplay is engaging. What makes it shine though is the revision of Lara Croft from a fan service brain on boobs to a believable and real young woman. She is still sexy, but she is sexy for the right reasons: because she is fierce, intelligent, capable, and faces her fears. She's awesome. Definitely a must play. Expand
  54. Sep 25, 2015
    Beautifully illustrated and some great mechanics, with a good adventure.

Beautifully illustrated and some great mechanics, with a good adventure.

Why only 8/10? Most of the tombs which are not needed to progress in the game, are too hard. I just gave up and now don't even bother to attempt them. Some sections are outright frustrating, like the one where there is fire everywhere. It goes on for too long and it is filled with booming explosions. There are places where acrobatics needed to get to places is beyond me, so get left.

I have played TR once and only managed to complete 75% of it, while completing the game. I am playing again (a year later,) right now and will only achieve the same amount of completion. I think 8/10 is a very generous score.

Yesterday I quit in distress shaking because I could not work out where to go. I went around a series of acrobatics in a big area three times and then gave up. Sometimes those places just come along and yesterday the direction marker seemed to make no sense. Mostly though it's straightforward in that sense.

I don't like that it wants me to kill random animals (like fluffy rabbits) as part of gaining XP. If we are expected to accept acquiring food is part of the adventure, then why not acquire it in the buildings. We plunder enough places. Neither do I really enjoy the many blatantly graphics ways that they have thought up kill Lara. I don't just mean being over-run with enemies.

It's a high impact game and is clearly memorable. I do get ticked-off with it though.
  55. Jul 18, 2013
    Tomb Raider a movie or a game? I call games like The Walking Dead "Interactive Movies". However Tomb Raider is not one of them since your actions do not change the story. TR is a game at its core but what makes it so special is not the game mechanics but Lara's steps towards becoming who we know her for. Some people say that they have to go through many cutscenes in order to play but theTomb Raider a movie or a game? I call games like The Walking Dead "Interactive Movies". However Tomb Raider is not one of them since your actions do not change the story. TR is a game at its core but what makes it so special is not the game mechanics but Lara's steps towards becoming who we know her for. Some people say that they have to go through many cutscenes in order to play but the story is what kept me going. Perhaps that is why the game has so little replay value and is quite short. I don't mind. I quote Hilary Cooper "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away". Rarely have I seen more beautiful world design, animation, facial animation, voice acting and graphics. I've definitively never seen all that in one game. Lara is simply gorgeous because she is no longer solely a sex symbol. In terms of character development she can be compared to Alyx Vance from Half-Life 2. However you may ask if it's not the actual gameplay that counts, what not just watch the cutscenes? You could but you would never reach the level of immersion the game has to offer, it wouldn't feel like an adventure if you don't explore. Besides the gameplay is a lot of fun, it just doesn't stand on it's own. As for the price, if 50 euros scare you then you can often get 50% off on Steam. Totally worth it. Expand
  56. CBZ
    May 10, 2013
    The game is great. There is a lot to love from this game, especially the graphics, the art and Lara's agility is well done. The action and the upgrades are great and there are not boring side missions. A lot of adrenaline and explosions (the island seems to be made of dynamite because even rocks explode).
    It is indeed a very linear game and you will never get lost, however, it was like that for a reason and it gives the game a chance to add more mystery and drama.
    The puzzles were quite simple and sometimes repetitive but definitely entertaining. I think it's a must buy for those looking for a good action/adventure game.
  57. May 22, 2015
    Tomb Raider reborn, enjoying and exciting game, full of details and nice graphics, I finish it two times,
    If you like tomb raider games you have to get this,
  58. Mar 28, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game, and on the plus side of things you have: The graphics, the aesthetics, the gameplay, the story, the atmosphere and the fact that the puzzle tombs are an option and not a requirement (though some puzzling and platforming is required for the story, ofcourse). Negatives: The amount of stuff you 'have' to pick up is insane and most of it makes no sense. Relics,I really enjoyed this game, and on the plus side of things you have: The graphics, the aesthetics, the gameplay, the story, the atmosphere and the fact that the puzzle tombs are an option and not a requirement (though some puzzling and platforming is required for the story, ofcourse). Negatives: The amount of stuff you 'have' to pick up is insane and most of it makes no sense. Relics, mushrooms, gps cache's etc. All of this is just dumb, the only things actually worth picking up is the documents, because they add to the story and character development, other than that you just get an xp bonus.

I would have liked to have the survival aspect of the game more thoroughly pronounced, I like that you have to salvage stuff to create your/upgrade your makeshift weapons, but they should have gone a bit further on that note if you ask me. Hopefully they will do that in the next game.
    I would have loved to see less QTE's aswell, or at least make them more apparent as to what you are supposed to do during the QTE, there was one where all it said was hit the button (not which one) when the circle blinks, and I have a keyboard, so there are lots of buttons to press. Anyway that would go down as a bug and something you can accept, since you will forget it later on.
    Also, stop with the achievement announcements and "model unlocked" stuff that happens almost constantly, it takes away from being completely gripped by the game. I would have been completely swallowed by it had these things not happened.
    A last negative is that the nVidia drivers for the game were horrible, which was both part crystal dynamics and nvidias fault, even if the game is "made for AMD" it makes no sense to have it so horribly optimized as it was for nvidia cards at launch. Crash to desktop, insane fps drops, weird gpu usage etc. This has all been fixed, but still, it should not have happened in the first place.

My verdict is a 9/10, the issues I have listed are, for me, enough to drag it down a point, but no further... This is a masterpiece, and 2013 has shown to be a great year, so far, for gaming, if you ask me.
  59. Xon
    May 18, 2013
    The makers of this game tried to pack everything they possibly could into this game. It has more than decent graphics, excellent voice work, splendid animation, and an above par story.

Yes, at times it feels like an interactive movie but for me it didn't detract from the experience, but made a more than positive contribution. There were moments I was struck by the same sense of

There were moments I was struck by the same sense of wonder and exhilaration I'd felt back when I played the original Tomb Raider.

All in all a top notch game.
  60. Mar 5, 2013
    Looks like GOTY just got sown up.. this is art.. this is movie and game become one. This is what we wanted and NEEDED after a lackluster and disappointing start to 2013. I love it. and cannot get enough. Awesome.
  61. Jun 27, 2015
    - Good: Story, Setting, Atmosphere, Gameplay, Audio
    - Mixed: Puzzles, Exploration
    - Bad: ---

Very solid game from the beginning to the end. Fun gameplay and good story. Puzzles could be more difficult and exploration and side activities are lacking a bit
  62. Apr 22, 2013
    One of the better story driven games I have played. I went into it not expecting much, but was instantly glued to my PC and couldn't stop until it was finished. Amazing graphics sound and story. Disappointed with Lara's development though, before you know it she will be mowing down waves of enemies, which doesn't fit her character at all. Definitely one of the best games so far thisOne of the better story driven games I have played. I went into it not expecting much, but was instantly glued to my PC and couldn't stop until it was finished. Amazing graphics sound and story. Disappointed with Lara's development though, before you know it she will be mowing down waves of enemies, which doesn't fit her character at all. Definitely one of the best games so far this year, recommend it highly, even over Bioshock. Expand
  63. Nov 9, 2013
    There is pretty much nothing bad to say about this game except for the terrible multiplayer, which shouldn't even have been added. I grabbed this game on a steam sale not expecting much and boy was I surprised. What a fantastic and thrilling ride. I can't help but compare this to Uncharted, which is quite ironic, since Uncharted was inspired by the original Tomb Raider in the first place.There is pretty much nothing bad to say about this game except for the terrible multiplayer, which shouldn't even have been added. I grabbed this game on a steam sale not expecting much and boy was I surprised. What a fantastic and thrilling ride. I can't help but compare this to Uncharted, which is quite ironic, since Uncharted was inspired by the original Tomb Raider in the first place. It's the same action packed cinematic adventure, but Tomb Raider is a much darker game which feels quite believable (well, except for the hordes of enemies Lara slays). As you follow Lara on her journey to save her friends, you feel her pain. When she falls, she falls hard, when she's injured, you feel the misery she is experiencing. Watching Lara go through all that hardship is terrible, but in a good way, and that's a HUGE thumbs up to the developers for that. I don't think I've ever played a game where I've been that connected to the character and felt his every move. Expand
  64. Mar 5, 2013
    Brilliant reboot! All the nostalgia is coming back in a good way. But in with a more refined and compact package that leans on what Batman Arkham Asylum showed you could do with a story and RPG-style skill weapon unlock system. Lara ends up getting into the thick of things and slowly unlocks gadgets and new skills that make traversing over the visually stunning and very atmospheric areasBrilliant reboot! All the nostalgia is coming back in a good way. But in with a more refined and compact package that leans on what Batman Arkham Asylum showed you could do with a story and RPG-style skill weapon unlock system. Lara ends up getting into the thick of things and slowly unlocks gadgets and new skills that make traversing over the visually stunning and very atmospheric areas with ease. There is a little bit more gun-play than you may be expecting, but nothing that gets overly distracting. You are still very much at ease most of the time to go hunting for collectibles (and there are a LOT of collectibles), as well as hunting down the "hidden" tombs. The entire game took me ~12 hrs to complete on normal at ~80% completion, with 1 skill point and 2 weapon mods away from 100% the upgrade zone, and the rest were missing collectibles. (diaries, relics, gps locations, treasure maps etc.). The game ran very smoothly on my q9450, 560ti, Windows 7, SSD, 4gb ddr2 at 1080p everything set to ultra, except: shadows on medium, tressFX off, reflections on normal pumping out 40fps.My favourite part of the game has to be the melee fighting, where you can dodge enemies and then get finishing moves if you time it correctly to kill them off in brutal fashion. Arrow to the face, bullet through their heads etc. in super slow-mo eye candy brain popping glory! (Yes I was just playing Dead Space 2... so slightly into it!). All I can say is the story is well worth your time, the characters are interesting, and this rebooted Lara will definitely be worth continuing on with for a few more outings hopefully. The PC port is well done and has numerous graphical settings, runs really well (just like most Squenix ports of recent times, DX:HR, JC2, etc.) and works perfectly with a mouse and keyboard. The QTEs are slightly annoying at first, but once you pick up the 3 buttons required, they are no longer annoying and really just immerse you into the world. One of the best parts of the entire experience beyond the visuals, story, atmosphere and gameplay would have to be that they've managed to pretty much do away with any level loading screens as you transition in these little tunnels and ledges and what not between areas and it is done so professionally that it really ramps up the immersion as you can play the game for 5 hrs straight and never see a loading screen if you don't die. TLDR: Get it, love it, thank me later! Expand
  65. Dec 30, 2013
    Tomb Raider is a game I picked up on sale, not really knowing what to expect. What I got was a great experience. The visuals are stunning, the audio is masterful, and the gameplay is very fun.

However, the story was fairly weak. How am I expected to believe that this is her "becoming a survivalist" story when she murders roughly 300 people per second and survives beatings and falls fit for a super-human? It really should have been toned down A LOT. The actual story is interesting, but most of the characters aren't. There isn't much character development, either.

I am willing to look past these flaws and acknowledge this great game. One of the best this year, and i'll certainly be playing the sequel.
  66. Jan 18, 2014
    [TombRaider on SteamPC Score 9 ] Truly a great Reboot and a must for Fans of the TombRaider series. This is the perfect update to the TombRaider franchise with all the run and gun, the platforming and the puzzle solving you loved in the previous editions but with Gorgeous 3D modelling, atmospherics, physics, water and more. A perfectly balanced and highly enjoyable 36 hours of fun just[TombRaider on SteamPC Score 9 ] Truly a great Reboot and a must for Fans of the TombRaider series. This is the perfect update to the TombRaider franchise with all the run and gun, the platforming and the puzzle solving you loved in the previous editions but with Gorgeous 3D modelling, atmospherics, physics, water and more. A perfectly balanced and highly enjoyable 36 hours of fun just waiting for you….. add to cart : )) My only regret is that there is no advantage to Solo Replay; finishing unfound collectibles is fun but very short. Multiplayer is available but you will need to look up a review elsewhere.

[Released] by Square Enix and ported to PC by Nixxies: yeah Nixxies did good work and you should enjoy it. Nixxies did however screw one thing up: Remapping primary key bindings is possible but the alternative secondary key bindings just screw up and then screwed up the on screen instructions. Tolerable but just plain poor programming on somebodies part… NB: This is not a game breaker and should not affect your decision to buy this game because this game really is Fantastic, I just wanted Square Enix and Nixxies to know that this looks bad for them. I enjoyed every second of this game otherwise.

[DRM] Steam only, thank goodness there is no GamesForWindowsLive / Origin / Uplay on this title, I did not have to create an alternative account. [Story] is a prequel to all the Lara Croft adventures…young Lara Croft, a little more helpless, a little more emotional, and sometimes a little too whiny. Character dialogue is immature especially with NPCs, who wrote this balloney? [Saves] Automatic saves as they should be. Perfect. Manual saves as usual.

[Bugs] None that I am aware of….except the key binding fudge. Digital fudge.

[Graphics] Default settings were to heavy on the post processing…. Even though my PC was flipping 60 FPS the depth of field effects and other sh*t was too much. I cut back a lot of the effects and it looked great; sometimes Less is More, and this was it.

[MyPC 2011] i7-2600K 3.4GHz / ASUS Z68 ProGen3 / 8G RAM / Radeon 6870 / W7 PRO SP1 / Samsung 275T @1920x1200 / Logitech G15 / Kensington ExpertMouse / Sennheiser HD600

[MyFavorites] [NowPlaying] BrokenAge [Win7] TombRaider Dishonored TheKnifeOfDunwall TheBrigmoreWitches TheDreamMachine Ep1-4 30FlightsOfLoving Fez BioshockInfinite Antichamber Stacking Metro2033 Rochard Crysis&Warhead&2 JustCause2 Rage [XP] Papo&Yo DeuxExHR&TheMissingLink DeadSpace1&2 Fallout3&NewVegas HalfLife1&2 Bordelands1&2 BatmanArkumAsylum AssassinsCreed Magicka RedFaction Portal1&2 FromDust MrRobot Sam&MaxSeasons1&2 CulpaInnata TheSecretOfMonkeyIsland DreamfallTheLongestJourney Syberia1&2 CrayonPhysicsDeluxe DefenseGridTheAwakening PlantsVsZombies Prototype Bioshock1&2 UnrealTournament3 Quake4 [360] AfroSamurai BrutalLegends [XBOX] HALO KOTOR1&2 Crackdown ArmedAndDangerous AggressiveInline BeyondGoodAndEvil DeadOrAlive1&2&3&ExtremeBeachVolleyball Psychonauts [AppleG4] FullThrottle DeusExMachina ONI ReturnToZork Suspended UnrealTournament TombRaiderSeries

[Born] 1964 [PS: I do not know anybody who works in the game industry ~ I just enjoy games : - ]
  67. Mar 24, 2013
    One of the best games Ive played in recent times. I have never been a big fan of the actual Tomb Raider games (I loathe platformers!), but this reboot prequel really does everything right. Graphics, voice-acting, presentation, set-pieces, plot, gameplay, music, the open world...it nails everything almost perfectly. Probably the only aspect which I found frustrating was the quick-timeOne of the best games Ive played in recent times. I have never been a big fan of the actual Tomb Raider games (I loathe platformers!), but this reboot prequel really does everything right. Graphics, voice-acting, presentation, set-pieces, plot, gameplay, music, the open world...it nails everything almost perfectly. Probably the only aspect which I found frustrating was the quick-time events which felt forced and really detracts from the gameplay. Thankfully, they're far and few while the rest of this amazing game more than makes up for it. If only all modern games can have this kind of polish and well-executed. Tomb Raider (2013) is a triumph and shows that the gaming industry can still produce solid titles that can be original while warding off the intricacies of distributor manipulation (such as micro-transactions and DRM). If you call yourself a gamer, buy this game. Expand
  68. May 16, 2013
    Well. first up games are meant to be fun, and I had a ton of fun with this game, yes its nothing like the original tomb raiders, and the game tends to hold your hand way to much, it didnt need the "click to see where to go" option.. that was dumb, would have been far better to let players find out on their own which was a core element on the original games, but it is fun there areWell. first up games are meant to be fun, and I had a ton of fun with this game, yes its nothing like the original tomb raiders, and the game tends to hold your hand way to much, it didnt need the "click to see where to go" option.. that was dumb, would have been far better to let players find out on their own which was a core element on the original games, but it is fun there are elements of the old Tomb Raider in there but its more like Uncharted. Still worth playing. Expand
  69. May 2, 2013
    just an amazing game. the story is great and you care for the characters. gameplay is nice as well, nothing special but its still very good. the cover system is really good as well. the game also has stunning visuals and great design. its one of the best looking game to date. you also have special equipment like an arrow with a rope and stuff like that. there are also skill trees which arejust an amazing game. the story is great and you care for the characters. gameplay is nice as well, nothing special but its still very good. the cover system is really good as well. the game also has stunning visuals and great design. its one of the best looking game to date. you also have special equipment like an arrow with a rope and stuff like that. there are also skill trees which are a nice edition. a really good thing about the game is that it has a lot of focus on exploring, not just shooting. this is an adventure game, and while it has a lot of shooting (the shooting mechanics are really good) this is an adventure game!!!!
    overall this is a great game you should definetly but!!!! its epic!!!!
  70. Mar 12, 2013
    First of all i have to say that i was blown away with the new Tomb Raider. It is beyond my expectation. Visually very eye candy, sound effects are very good, controls are easy and responding. Enemy AI could be more clever, but hey, they are deadly enough if you are to slow. There is so much to explore and rewards are good. To keep this short as possible, people this game is worth playing.First of all i have to say that i was blown away with the new Tomb Raider. It is beyond my expectation. Visually very eye candy, sound effects are very good, controls are easy and responding. Enemy AI could be more clever, but hey, they are deadly enough if you are to slow. There is so much to explore and rewards are good. To keep this short as possible, people this game is worth playing. The best game so far in this year. Expand
  71. Jul 25, 2013
    This game does so many things great, camera is perfectly situated while climbing, QTE are done so great that u wont even notice its a QTE and on top of that u wont be pissed off by them. Story is great, discovering island and gathering bonuses and raiding tombs is sattisfiing. Graphics are great and the ingame movies are well done. Only bad points are linearity and its not really an openThis game does so many things great, camera is perfectly situated while climbing, QTE are done so great that u wont even notice its a QTE and on top of that u wont be pissed off by them. Story is great, discovering island and gathering bonuses and raiding tombs is sattisfiing. Graphics are great and the ingame movies are well done. Only bad points are linearity and its not really an open world game. As a modern reboot of Tomb Raider it is a succes. Expand
  72. Mar 17, 2013
    This is a fantastic reboot, and very few people are acknowledging the real bright spots. They've transformed Lara Croft from a bimbo sex object to a real person you care about. I found myself not wanting to die in the game because I didn't want the character to suffer. When's the last time you felt that in a game? Half-Life 2 with Alyx, if you're like me. The much hated quick timeThis is a fantastic reboot, and very few people are acknowledging the real bright spots. They've transformed Lara Croft from a bimbo sex object to a real person you care about. I found myself not wanting to die in the game because I didn't want the character to suffer. When's the last time you felt that in a game? Half-Life 2 with Alyx, if you're like me. The much hated quick time events are in the first hour of the game. Many of these haters did not play past them! Later on the quick time events become thrilling as they're incorporated into huge cinematic set pieces, and they're very intuitive instead of frustrating. This game has fantastic suspenseful combat. I just finished Crysis 3 and Far Cry 3; neither game produced the frantic feeling Tomb Raider does regularly. This game has perfect controls. When you miss a jump or something it's always your fault not the game screwing you. This game has great exploration. I couldn't wait to see what's around the next corner. The only negatives I have are those early quick time events and the stupid dialog coming from the henchman. They really should've come up with some better lines for those guys. But really it's the transformation of Lara Croft that should be widely praised. Expand
  73. Mar 26, 2013
    In a time where it's popular to make terrible reboots that miss the point of the original series, Tomb Raider is one of the few that actually improves a series. I would of liked to see more puzzle and jumping elements like the original games (though they are still core to the game), but nearly every other aspect of the game has been improved. I really liked exploring the environments andIn a time where it's popular to make terrible reboots that miss the point of the original series, Tomb Raider is one of the few that actually improves a series. I would of liked to see more puzzle and jumping elements like the original games (though they are still core to the game), but nearly every other aspect of the game has been improved. I really liked exploring the environments and finding all the hidden items and improving your equipment and skills, however I would of liked the skill tree to have more meaningful choices (the amount of unlocks required to unlock the next tier of skills means you will get pretty much be getting everything anyway). The story has it's ups and it's downs. Discovering what happened on the island is quite interesting, and is told through the environment, enemies, and diaries, however your cadre of multicultural stereotypes that represent Lara's companions is probably the weakest link as it doesn't ever give you a reason to care for them, and luckily they are a very small portion of the narrative. Overall the game is quite good, and I feel it was worth my money. Expand
  74. Jul 20, 2013
    What a fantastic game. To start this is one of the best looking games I've seen. The environments are gorgeous, detailed, and visual effects are incredible. From the fog in the forests to burning buildings and the rain and wind effects this game looks perfect. The direction of the game is incredible, with good camera angles, distance, screen shake and all that to really put you in theWhat a fantastic game. To start this is one of the best looking games I've seen. The environments are gorgeous, detailed, and visual effects are incredible. From the fog in the forests to burning buildings and the rain and wind effects this game looks perfect. The direction of the game is incredible, with good camera angles, distance, screen shake and all that to really put you in the experience. This game uses a lot of things repeatedly...quick-time events, cut-scenes galore, and Lara gets tossed down a mountain every 5 minutes...it never get boring (except for may some of the collecting challenges), it's always engaging, and often breathtaking to behold. This is a great origin story for Lara Croft and a truly fun game and cinematic experience. Expand
  75. Jun 18, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game. It is a true come back of Lara Croft. And it is better than recently productions. I always wanted Tomb Raider to be like this. More realistic, more dramatic. Gameplay is really good. Plot is someway good and crazy. Collectibles are nice and graphics and music are amazing. I had a good time with this game and every Lara fan will like it too.
  76. May 16, 2013
    I want to give this game an eleven, heck at least a ten, but I can't. I can't give it a twenty, because the damn developers had to add shaky cam into the one of the best games released this year. I can't take shaky cam, a lot of us have a problem with it, same with 3D glasses. It gives a small part of the population motion sickness and nausea. For the love of god, please get rid of HeadI want to give this game an eleven, heck at least a ten, but I can't. I can't give it a twenty, because the damn developers had to add shaky cam into the one of the best games released this year. I can't take shaky cam, a lot of us have a problem with it, same with 3D glasses. It gives a small part of the population motion sickness and nausea. For the love of god, please get rid of Head bobs and shaking cameras, we love your game, but we still can't bloody well enjoy it eh? Expand
  77. Apr 21, 2013
    I came here to give Tomb Raider 2013 a score of 10. I've done this. Tomb Raider has great voice acting, great graphics, great environments, great story, great characters, great multiplayer. great gameplay. I've been playing games all my life. I know games. Trust me. Buy this. You will not regret it.
  78. Dec 6, 2014
    Tomb Raider is a fantastic game, filled with adventure and exploration. Even though it has limited replay value, the gameplay is simply excellent.

1. Graphics: 9/10 - detailed and fantastic 2. Gameplay: 8/10 - great controls, and natural and fluid character animation make gameplay satisfying. Also, players can approach encounters as they see fit - stealth or all-out assault. Excellent.

1. Graphics: 9/10 - detailed and fantastic
    3. Story: 7/10 - interesting story, but rather simple.

Overall, an amazing game.
  79. Jul 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Tomb Raider does NOT have all of the quick-time events and cut scenes people make it out to have. The plot is pretty juicy, with some very unexpected moments. I never imagined the Sun Queen's guardians would turn out to be real. The setting is beautiful and very spooky at times. Some of the textures get a screen-door or somewhat check-board look sometimes. The AI know exactly where you are. Even if the enemies can't see you, they still will fire at your exact location (if they are switched on). Mathias is a good villain. I found Lara's expedition members to be lovable, except for Whitman (you're supposed to not like him). 8/10 because of the relatively low replay value and multiplayer that doesn't do too well. The game is a good buy for $15 or under unless you can re-sell it. Expand
  80. Nov 8, 2013
    This is the Tomb Raider that fans expected to see.The extraordinary graphics and the wonderful,intense and captivating gameplay are just a part of the features which makes this thing "A must buy game".
  81. Mar 12, 2013
    I didn't think I would get this game but my friend convinced me it was awesome. He was right, this game is fantastic. Crystal Dynamics really poured blood and sweat into this game. The PC port is very well done almost to the point of reminding you of The Golden Age of PC gaming. The graphics on High and Ultra settings vary from solid to mind blowing (Geothermal Caves looked amazing). TheI didn't think I would get this game but my friend convinced me it was awesome. He was right, this game is fantastic. Crystal Dynamics really poured blood and sweat into this game. The PC port is very well done almost to the point of reminding you of The Golden Age of PC gaming. The graphics on High and Ultra settings vary from solid to mind blowing (Geothermal Caves looked amazing). The sound design is exceptional. There is so much detail in this game that you really get immersed in the world. The pacing of the game is tight and the combat is good. If you buy this expecting the old school arcade style Tomb Raider combat you will be let down. The combat requires using cover and moving tactically but also offers melee takedown options. The world design and leveling/upgrade system is like Batman Arkham Asylum. Old fans of Tomb Raider might be let down by this but if you like a quality game you might get over it because this game has it all. There are a few reasons I didn't give Tomb Raider a 10/10. The game on Hard is just a bit too easy and there is not NG+ or any mode to make the game more difficult. One time the AI bugged and just sat there while I killed three guys. Even though the audio and graphics are a 10/10 the combat is really only and 8 or 9, it's good but not perfect to the point where it's the primary reason you're playing the game. Another problem I had with the game is Lara's voice acting and the lines they gave her, it's just the same tone over and over even though the character evolves throughout the story. Despite these problems this game is still a great achievement and I hope Square Enix allows Crystal Dynamics to produce an even better sequel because they obviously have the talent to produce a nearly perfect game. Expand
  82. Mar 19, 2013
    9 10 AMAZING, easily the best Tomb Raider game to date, it's an incredible mix of open-world exploration and intense action sequences. Excellent presentation, good (while unoriginal) story, and an amazing singleplayer campaign.

PRESENTATION: All of the visuals are amazing, whether it be the depth of field, particle effects, animations, or the textures. Just make sure to optimize it to whatever your computer's strength may be. The sounds are great too; voice acting is great (especially from Lara's character), music is phenomenal, and the effects are all great. Camera angles have always been a major problem with the Tomb Raider series, but this one fixed that up and it's "fine" now. However, why are the liquid drops on the camera? That makes no sense, and just gets annoying. If this were first-person, it'd make sense, but now?

STORY: It love the story, it has a very Indiana Jones style feeling. The game has a great mix of intense, gritty, and brutal moments with moments that just feel like pure light-hearted adventure. A feeling I haven't had since I played Twilight Princess back when I first got a Wii. I like the characters, only a few have a critical impact on the story, but I actually ended up being able to distinguish them all, and liked them all for their individual quirks. (except for Wittman, that pansy)

GAMEPLAY: Platforming, combat, RPG-like system, and the huge world off of the given path are so perfect, it's a little breath-taking. The cover mechanic is actually amazing, which is surprising considering how clunky other games have used it. There's some decent stealth, but the assaulting moments are the beef of the gameplay. HOWEVER, the multiplayer is so downright awful, I couldn't believe it, I don't even suggest touching it. I forced myself through a few matches just so that I could bring you this lack of information, it's terrible. But the rest is great! I'm done here, thanks for reading!
  83. Apr 19, 2013
    There is only one word that could approximate a definition for this game: "Masterpiece".

I'm an old TR fan to let it understand to the few people who can understand it around the world, there are not many ones who can say "in Tomb Raider II I entered THAT door", well, I'm one of them. I was waiting for a game like this since.... Well, back to the review, this game is 100% well balanced, to point out few things I would improve: 1) the level design is "nearly perfect", only I'm missing a little the "how the F... I can reach that spot feeling, I hope that in a sequel this could be addressed cause the platforming is however rewarding as never but I feel that a bit more challenge could add to the experience. 2) Lara is responding in a perfect way, in the game you really feel you ARE Lara Croft and not just driving a mannequin, this boost that already spoken "I want more" from the (outstanding) environment. 3) the very well implemented RPG options could be implemented better, the first two survival skills for example, if I'm not missing something are pretty nearly useless throughout the game, adding more vicious animals to defend from and the need to feed yourself to keep health regenerating could have given a meaning to those. 4) When you have the right equipment there is too few backtracking that could be done in order to discover more, there are no reasons to explore again an already 100%ed sector except to gain some experience from enemies, a couple of "ok now I have this, let see if I can access that spot" per sector could have been an HUGE booster for the overall experience. 5) The upgrade system is well crafted and enough satisfying but hiding the upgrades in the menu could give that feeling of "what now that is thrown away from the complete visible list. 6) The above also works for collectibles, I hate games in which you knows in advance what you will find in them, this applies even to this beautiful game, knowing in advance how many collectibles I have to find is one of the worst part of this title, an "I feel like I'm still missing something in this area" would be a much more effective way to manage the whole thing, as well as get rid of percentage counters, as well as giving a more puzzle meaning to collectibles while being able to see them as you find them not in advance. 7) Tombs, those are very well crafted but really feels too short for a true TR lover, I'm expecting to see more of them and more complex along with some well crafted underwater mess on the sequel. 8) Secondary bosses: it could be nice to hear Lara commenting on her equipment and physically see the parts of it as well as seeing Lara assembling those parts ...and having secondary bosses to fight experimenting on them the new acquired firepower while tasting the new discovered within herself passion for raiding tombs. 9) the story: it's really well crafted but could be balanced better, at an emotional level the story requires you to keep going while the gameplay requires you to explore, well, it is balanced but it could be more, from a gameplay perspective everything that's "hurry on" is out of place in a TR game, also the acting is top notch but could have been polished aligning it with the above point of view. 9) Enemies: sometimes it's like I'm facing the old chapters enemies, well the AI is not that bad but sometimes is not polished as it should be resulting in too few options at your enemies to choose from making the mass-murder them a bit too easy while sometimes they can spot you too realistically when you don't have any chance to spot them making impossible to sneak past or avoid or stealth kill someone that even knowing you are somewhere on the island shouldn't know you are "right there". 10) Indicators: I think that a lens could suffice to point out the presence of something, no need to show the button everytime, it slightly detract to immersion.

However the above are only my suggestions in case of an unlikely reading of my review by someone from Crystal Dynamics that, however, does not detract a bit to the gorgeousness of the game, the game is already 99,99%, the above only could boost it at 100% and a sequel to 200%

Despite the above this game is a helluva BLAST that's worth every penny, a "back to those days" for TR fans and a good point to start from for those who are not...yet..

Thanks SquareEnix, thanks Crystal Dynamics, playing it I can feel all the efforts you made to make not only a generic masterpiece but a Tomb Raider masterpiece, I'm one of the biggest fan of TR on planet Earth and you made me proud again of being, I sincerely hope it could have the success it deserves as well as seeing sequels of the same quality in which I will be able to hear the "Oh-hh!" turn in the well known "Ah-haa!", if you knows what I mean.. :)

This stuff was for SQUEX and CD, to everyone else all I can say is that this game is truly one of the best games ever made, it looks gorgeous, it sounds great, it plays amazingly.
  84. Apr 12, 2013
    It's like combining Uncharted with Batman Arkham Asylum. It has a similar cinematic feel such as Uncharted with platforming, 3rd person shooting, and a few puzzles to solve. The world is not quite open world like Far Cry 3 but it's more like Arkham Asylum, in which you move down a linear path but you'll end up revisiting a few areas and you'll have new gadgets/abilities to allow you toIt's like combining Uncharted with Batman Arkham Asylum. It has a similar cinematic feel such as Uncharted with platforming, 3rd person shooting, and a few puzzles to solve. The world is not quite open world like Far Cry 3 but it's more like Arkham Asylum, in which you move down a linear path but you'll end up revisiting a few areas and you'll have new gadgets/abilities to allow you to open up new paths. There's a lot to explore. Graphics look great. The TressFX hair is technically impressive but I turned it off because it would drop the frame rate a bit. The story was really predicatable. Overall, it was a good experience. I recommend using a controller to play this game because there are a lot of QTEs and it wont tell you which keys to press if you use keyboard. Expand
  85. Sep 18, 2013
    Extremely good game. The story, graphics, gameplay, sound, atmosphere, immersion, it's ALL there. There is even innovation not the gameplay type, but still, innovation, which in my ratings is a prerequisite for a full 10/10 score. This innovation is the use of TressFX, which on my SLI GTX 580s worked well.

So basically, yes this game is somewhat like the Uncharted series, and that is a very GOOD thing. It's still Lara Croft, it's still Tomb Raider, and the types of puzzles we use to see in previous TR games are still to be found, except there's a lot more action, more story, more characters, more immersion, more of all that makes a game good.

Wrexmer is complaining about cut scenes and quick time events. I must say, both of these elements were extremely well done in this game, blending in well with the action and context, they are not disruptive at all. I can imagine some people have an absolute dislike for cut scenes and quicktime events, fine, but if that's not your personal case, then I say, you will love the cutscenes and quicktime events. As a matter of fact, in my opinion, this game has THE VERY BEST quicktime event implementation I have ever seen. So there.

There really is nothing negative I could say about this game. It could have been longer, but only because it is so excellent you can never have too much excellent gaming, right? I clock my playthrough on medium difficulty at 14 hours, which is very decent.

Overall, I cannot say enough good things about this game, it is a SPLENDID release, and for once, fully worth the full retail/launch price of $49.99. I almost feel guilty getting it on special for $12.49. Yes, it's that good.
  86. Mar 5, 2013
    I don't often write reviews but... wow. I Am absolutely blown away, I didn't expect anything from this game. I enjoyed the old games, (1,2, Angel of darkness, underworld) but this one just blew me away, the intro was great and it kept me going, the adrenaline doesn't stop and the action just keeps coming, I even feel bad for Lara after everything she goes through.

The graphics are

The graphics are sensational (I'm running a gtx680), the hair effects look amazing most of the time, but they have their glitches and screw ups (like the effects disappearing for a second and her hair looking bland during intense cut scenes, it could be a driver thing or something they could patch). As mentioned the story is thrilling and keeps you wanting more, the side quests are worthwhile and brings back old Lara memories. The gameplay is solid, the free running reminds me of assassins creed mixed with old school lara. The bow is great, the guns can feel a bit clunky at times but still suits fine considering she wouldn't be a gun expert. Point blank confrontations with enemies are awkward at first but goes nicely with the story, but once you adapt and learn abilities it works out great and flows greatly.

Overall a true underdog for me and a very nice recreation of Lara. Good job crystal.
  87. Mar 19, 2013
    To be honest I'm surprised at how much I like this game. It probably helps that I went into it knowing that it would be a "Push X to win" type of game. I was expecting more of a movie and less of a game, and that's really what it is. Depending on what you're looking for, this can be a positive or a negative. In my case it was a positive. Thanks to the ridiculously good visuals, sound, andTo be honest I'm surprised at how much I like this game. It probably helps that I went into it knowing that it would be a "Push X to win" type of game. I was expecting more of a movie and less of a game, and that's really what it is. Depending on what you're looking for, this can be a positive or a negative. In my case it was a positive. Thanks to the ridiculously good visuals, sound, and voice acting I was able to immerse myself into the story and enjoy the action-packed ride. The story itself isn't anything special, but it's good enough. Combat is fluid. QTEs aren't my preferred gameplay mechanic, but they're well done. Exploration is satisfying and rewarding, though I could have done with less hand-holding as far as discovering tombs and items is concerned. I don't feel compelled to 100% most games, but I feel like this is one where it would actually be fun to do. In short, if you're in the mood for a relatively short but satisfying game that feels like you're watching/participating in an action movie, Tomb Raider is a great choice. Expand
  88. Jul 15, 2014
    Lara emerges as a more innocent, beautiful and younger than the previous games and the game's beauty fascinates us, we will able to see Lara's personal changes by the time and it will be in our control.
  89. Mar 9, 2013
    The graphics are un-god-damn-believable. It's fully decked out for PC and then ported to console, not the other way around. Every frame of this game is a work of art. It's an adventure and not a blood fest. Open world. Love it.
  90. Mar 18, 2013
    This game contains a lot more action than the previous installments of the series. But at the same time it also contains a fantastic story with a very believable main character. It is not a story about another super hero fighting his way through countless enemies. Lara has feelings and opinions and they are portrayed in a believable way that even surpasses many movies. That surprisingThis game contains a lot more action than the previous installments of the series. But at the same time it also contains a fantastic story with a very believable main character. It is not a story about another super hero fighting his way through countless enemies. Lara has feelings and opinions and they are portrayed in a believable way that even surpasses many movies. That surprising amount of depth makes this one of the rare games these days that take their adult players seriously. This game will certainly have to be a contestant for the game of the year awards. Expand
  91. Oct 13, 2013
    Graphics: 8/10
    Scenario: 8/10
    Storyline : 8/10
    Multiplayer : 8/10

I never played a Tomb Raider game before this one. But this one I can say that is amazing.
  93. Apr 1, 2013
    As many others PlayStation positive I have expected the new TR to be a meh Uncharted clone. As it turns out this new Lara has a few tricks of her own and I can say I had more furn with the new Tomb Raider than I had with the Uncharted 3. It is basically the same shooting/climbing formula, but with a few twists: What I admire about the new TR the most is how it often isn't really linear atAs many others PlayStation positive I have expected the new TR to be a meh Uncharted clone. As it turns out this new Lara has a few tricks of her own and I can say I had more furn with the new Tomb Raider than I had with the Uncharted 3. It is basically the same shooting/climbing formula, but with a few twists: What I admire about the new TR the most is how it often isn't really linear at all. At several places you get this rather big area filled with collectibles to find, even the linear sections have their small share of detours and dead ends with some kind of reward to be found there. Lara occasionaly returns into some of those big locations with new gear that opens previously sealed paths, Zelda-style. Combat is where older Uncharted games come off better, but that does not mean firefights in TR are bad. Just a bit less polished. You won't really be able to stealth/bow your way through the enemy, but to some extent this is always a possibility and even in open firefight the bow is still quite handy against a smaller group of enemies. From all the bow-enhanced games that came out lately, TR seems to handle it the best. Graphics are pretty great, too bad that after all those patches and driver updates I still can't afford to run the tessaltion unless I'd fancy me some glitches and crashes now and then. It is really a shame for this is probably the first time I found it worth having tesselation turned on. On the bad side of things, characters aren't likeable at all, story might as well be nonexistent and the way devs torture Lara throughout the game is just plain sick. Regarding the "rape" scene how the can anyone see a rape attempt in that, unless they have a fetish for strangling or suffocation?! Leveling-up is a nice addition, same goes for weapon upgrading, though I'd wish for a bit more realistic approach to this. Puzzles are simple and short and I am perfectly fine with that. Overall great easy fun game hindered by lame characters and dull story. Expand
  94. Mar 8, 2013
    In summary... GET THIS GAME.

In summary... GET THIS GAME.

I rarely find a game that will want me coming back for more. This game not only made me eager to get back to playing it, but I'm also eager to play through it again! After playing only one tomb raider game I hadn't had a high impression of the tomb raider franchise and the only reason I looked into getting this game is the extreme positive feedback from some reviews. The graphics are amazing, some of the most beautiful I have ever seen. The detail put into Lara, the characters and the scenery is outstanding (I can't think of a word to praise it enough). The story is very original; I think they did the right thing by starting a reboot with a novice Lara and building up her character and personality through the emotional story. I liked the combat and controls, it is kept simple and fits in with her character (for example, instead of blocking she dodges attacks). The QTE felt simple but were extremely intense as most situation escalated quickly as our poor Lara was thrown around or falling once again. There are only minor things that this game could have improved on; the enemy AI felt like it was just a wave after wave of mindless drones and QTE were sometimes so well implemented I didn't know whether I was to watch an action scene or start moving Lara. Overall this game is brilliant and a very successful reboot. I expect another game to come after this one (I would be very disappointed if they didn't).
  95. Dec 26, 2013
    As a big fan of the Series, i was skeptical about the new game, as it goes a totally different way in terms of gameplay, however i was incredibly wrong.

This game made me feel like i was actually in the game, the sound, the level design, the art direction, it is so beautiful, then in comes the actual gameplay, whilst it starts off a bit generic, it soon opens up to be so much more if you are willing to give this game the attention it so does deserve.

The Tombs gave me the nostalgia i crave from the older games, whilst the rest of the game offers a more complete and detailed game.

My favorite part of this titles has to be the character acting, Lara is incredibly well done in this title, and the voice is fantastically done, a real stunner of a game.
  96. Oct 23, 2014
    Amazing game. Everything about this game screams quality. Visuals are stunning, sound effects are amazing and the storyline is immersive. Definitely one of the best games of it's generation.
  97. Mar 7, 2013
    In short, Tomb Raider provides an amazing adventure and a wonderful experience. It intermixes and balances very well exploration, action, combat and story, alternating between those just with the right frequency so you’ll never grow weary of any one of them in particular. And each of them is not just superficial: they’re deep enough and enjoyable. Throughout the game you’ll see Lara’sIn short, Tomb Raider provides an amazing adventure and a wonderful experience. It intermixes and balances very well exploration, action, combat and story, alternating between those just with the right frequency so you’ll never grow weary of any one of them in particular. And each of them is not just superficial: they’re deep enough and enjoyable. Throughout the game you’ll see Lara’s character develop and build, and you will witness and experience her becoming what you know from the past games. It’s her origin story, and after finishing it you’ll feel she is reborn. I’ll go into more detail. The environments are beautifully realistic and atmospheric making the exploration very immersive. The visual presentation is stunning with various downright jaw dropping and/or even “magical” settings. There’s a lot of diversity in the locations, they’re not repetitive. Also, they are very well interwoven with the story and the “culture(s)” present in the island, with lots of personality. The weather and time of day keeps changing making it a joy to watch and also provides encouragement to revisit locations. I didn’t find the main path of the game too linear; there are lots of open spaces off that path you can explore. You’ll encounter the optional Tombs there. The puzzles you’ll encounter are mainly on them and aren’t that long or complex, so you’ll not be frustrated or bored, but have just the amount of challenge to make you pause and think. The pacing of the game and the unraveling of the story is just masterful. The way the scale evolves is very pleasing and exciting. Lara begins inexperienced, with limited capabilities and very scared, trying desperately to be reunited with her colleagues. You feel her vulnerability and desperation in face of the extreme circumstances she’s in and only with the support and encouragement of the expedition’s captain is she able to build up courage and confidence, thus progressively gaining new skills and determination. The level up system used for this is superbly designed, as the experience gained allows Lara to develop new skills that not only increase the gameplay possibilities but also develop and define Lara as a character. It’s exhilarating to witness and feel Lara’s growth in skills, confidence and determination. And you are growing along with her in your skill within the game. It truly made me feel like I was living the adventure. One detail I loved is that Lara sometimes “talks to herself” as she progresses in the environments. She often will be thinking out loud about how she can get where she needs or do what she must or comment on the history on documents and relics she finds, providing insightful information. In the action sequences she will also react to what’s going on with screams, groans of pain, etc. All this made the game more personal and involving. I found the combat to be very enjoyable and diverse, with just the right difficulty as to be tense without being frustrating. Sometimes you’ll have the option of using stealth, which is preferable particularly in the beginning where you’re not that powerful. In regular combat the enemies try to take cover and to flush you out of cover with grenades or molotovs. If you camp a little some will also try to use suppressive fire wire others try to get close. When that happens, the melee combat with its dodge-counter mechanics makes things feel very up close. I had no complaints about the AI. One remark that could be made is that Lara maybe gets a little too powerful, taking down various groups of enemies when she’s so young. Still, she never feels overly “Rambo” or “arcade”, and as the combat is so enjoyable it’s easy to “forgive” this. And nevertheless you’ll die sometimes and are thus always reminded of the imminent danger: some death animations are just brutal and make you really feel them. The ending was epic and memorable without being insanely over the top as to make it unbelievable. To finish, being a fan of Tomb Raider since the first game I had very high expectations and was very pleased to be impressed. Personally, I would have preferred if there were a little more Tombs and them being a little longer, but as the game is so well balanced and crafted I’m more than satisfied. Expand
  98. Oct 6, 2013
    A well needed reboot, this game delivers a fantastic story and great game play with some amazing visuals thrown in. One of my favorite games of 2013.
  99. Jul 23, 2014
    Will start from the beginning...
    Will start from the beginning...
    First of all I tried many TR game before, but none of them interested me, I mean they was not my style, genre games, so wasn't expect that will like this game too. But I purchased it (one good man recomended it to me) and after finishing some chapters/missions I noticed that game takes me in and takes me deep inside, yes exactly. First time I played female character and feel myself as a main character, every thing around is taking you deep in to its world, cutscenes that synchronously moving in action and vice versa are making you part of all the actions inside, like you are in movie, like you are part of the movie, very beautiful and atmospheric world around you that smoothly changes from peaceful right up to the horror, makes realistic and deep feelings, every thing there is hostile but beautifully calming, whole world is against you here. Didn't expect see so many genre in so harmonious union with each other - Atmospheric, Adventure, Puzzle, Quest, Action, Stealth, Horror, H&S, Survival all with some kind of RPG elements spanning you in after every moment. Game is very active for what I was expecting from Tomb Raider game.
    For me TR becomes one of the best games that I ever played before, I didn't expect so deep and fun gameplay, but one negative thing that I didn't like in, is that game is way too easy for hard mode, but it have its good part too - you can relax and enjoy its deep, interesting and fun gameplay. (It's more like Movie for me more than Game, but anyway as I say before "it's one of the best games I ever played" or "movie I ever watched" ..? Shortly, who cares, it's great so don't miss it).
    Game for me is 10/10, really big + to Developers.
    Also can say that game have quite good optimization, also looks great on tweaked settings.
    One more interesting thing that I find here was Multiplayer very fun, dynamic and action, but sometimes it have a little problems in finding matches, but more often match starts in 20 sec.
    So worth it, game is really Great-Super-Amazing...
    Thank you for reading and sorry for my bad English.
  100. Apr 6, 2013
    Awesome game and plots. Real challenges. Love the gameplay and graphics and found that I soon got very immersed in the game and really felt I was being hunted. My Game of the year. Beats Bioshock Infinite hands down and is the quality of Far Cry 3. This is a game worth the money whatever you pay for it.
  101. Mar 8, 2013
    Wow... just wow. This game was awesome in almost every aspect. I really enjoyed it to the last minute. The only thing that I would give a an 8.5/10 is the combat. There is just something about it. I played it on hardcore mode and it was not as challenging as i thought it would be. Also the weapons did not feel like were improved that much until the later parts of the game. The bow upgradesWow... just wow. This game was awesome in almost every aspect. I really enjoyed it to the last minute. The only thing that I would give a an 8.5/10 is the combat. There is just something about it. I played it on hardcore mode and it was not as challenging as i thought it would be. Also the weapons did not feel like were improved that much until the later parts of the game. The bow upgrades are absolutely sicknasty! Collapse

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Jun 10, 2013
    The new incarnation of the iconic Lara Craft might very well be one of the best games out there right now. [April 2013]
  2. PC PowerPlay
    Mar 30, 2013
    Everything you could want from an archeological adventure, except having to press six keys to mantle. [Apr 2013, p.80]
  3. Mar 19, 2013
    While not every promising idea Tomb Raider has is pulled off successfully, it nevertheless turns in a tense and memorable ride that combines modern game design with its forebears’ adventurous spirit in some exciting ways. Some of its missteps may well come at the cost of your enjoyment, but most can’t hope to hurt the adventure in the long run. Although it never fully finds its identity, this is a game and a story worth seeing through.