8.5

1. Mar 10, 2013
    This is a good game that is going to be overshadowed by a few other releases coming later this month. First, the good: Everything associated with this game is done well. From the gameplay to the story to the atmosphere, Crystal Dynamics has made a wonderful game that works very and, especially for a PC port, this game runs very smoothly and the flow it has makes it a great addition toThis is a good game that is going to be overshadowed by a few other releases coming later this month. First, the good: Everything associated with this game is done well. From the gameplay to the story to the atmosphere, Crystal Dynamics has made a wonderful game that works very and, especially for a PC port, this game runs very smoothly and the flow it has makes it a great addition to anyone's collection. The small things are what gets in its way. For a game called 'Tomb Raider', there's very little tombs to raid and, the ones that are in there, feel half assed and added at the very last second. With no other reason to do them beyond getting the achievement, there's really no incentive to doing them. I was hoping there would be some big item to get at the end of the tomb thing but there was not. But this is a little thing that doesn't affect the outcome of the game and that outcome is a very good one. The biggest issue this game will face is from the competition it faces this month. Between GoW: Ascension and Bioshock Infinite and others, this game will get left in the dust by other games that will probably just be more memorable than this one. It's kinda sad that a game with some great potential is going to be forgotten here in less than a month. Any sequels to this are now and forever on my radar. Give this game a chance and you won't be disappointed. Expand
  2. Apr 25, 2013
    Pros: 1) Combat animation & style. 2) Great graphics on PC 3) Really good stealth! 4) Story is satisfying, could have been better! 5) Interesting puzzles!
    Cons: 1) Storytelling is not great!
    Conclusion: Contender for Game Of The Year!
  3. May 5, 2013
    This game is one of the most fun games i have bought this year. Its on my GOTY list with Bioshock Infinite and Dead Space 3 (Yes DS3, deal with it.) I never like Tomb Raider, but this reboot got it down just right. Its a great new twist on the series and i want to see a sequel. The only problems this game has is the the quicktime events ruin your experience sometimes. Youll be watching aThis game is one of the most fun games i have bought this year. Its on my GOTY list with Bioshock Infinite and Dead Space 3 (Yes DS3, deal with it.) I never like Tomb Raider, but this reboot got it down just right. Its a great new twist on the series and i want to see a sequel. The only problems this game has is the the quicktime events ruin your experience sometimes. Youll be watching a cutscene only for a the game to throw a "hit the e key" at you and make you die. On top of that, you have little time to react and if you hit the wrong one you die. It sometimes becomes a game of simon says as you try to remember the pattern of whats coming up next because youll die every time. Other than that its great game. Expand
  4. Nov 20, 2013
    I’m truly blown away by how good this game actually is! Astonishing visuals, smooth movement, no bugs, great combat and great realism! Many seem to have given up on the Tomb Raider franchise, but for me this has been my best gaming experience in quite some time! Personally, I've always loved Tomb Raider games (and always will) but this was such a fresh experience I couldn't comprehendI’m truly blown away by how good this game actually is! Astonishing visuals, smooth movement, no bugs, great combat and great realism! Many seem to have given up on the Tomb Raider franchise, but for me this has been my best gaming experience in quite some time! Personally, I've always loved Tomb Raider games (and always will) but this was such a fresh experience I couldn't comprehend someone not enjoying this title; unless you whole heartedly dislike action adventure games! For fans of the original series (despite peoples pessimism) all of what you loved from prior games is back and no this is not an “Uncharted” rip-off it’s Tomb Raider doing what Tomb Raider has always done; just in a fresh new way! Expand
  5. Jan 5, 2014
    The technically far superior version of the game (till the Definitive edition arrives) is every bit as good as its other versions. This is one suberb game, one of the finest of 2013 and of its generation. The PC version really looks the part and is till now of the best-looking games on all platforms.
  6. May 24, 2013
    Amazing game! Epic story, good graphics, perfect cinematics.... The only problem is the game is too short, but i belive they start right the new lara croft.
  7. May 11, 2013
    There is something special about a game that sucks you in and makes you feel so involved you forget you're playing; suddenly you are part of that game. Tomb Raider is one of those titles. It is an artistic achievement. The graphics, level design and sound effects make the overall experience better than the average movie. The gameplay is so fluid you feel like you are Laura, there is noThere is something special about a game that sucks you in and makes you feel so involved you forget you're playing; suddenly you are part of that game. Tomb Raider is one of those titles. It is an artistic achievement. The graphics, level design and sound effects make the overall experience better than the average movie. The gameplay is so fluid you feel like you are Laura, there is no awkwardness found in other titles such as assassin's creed. The character constantly does exactly what you want it to. Everything is realistic except of course the rambo style survivability which is to be expected in any entertaining title. It seems nobody has ever complained about your character being overpowered to survive onslaughts in any title for the past 100 years yet now that the main character is a girl it's an issue. I couldn't stop from beginning to end, and it was better made than Uncharted, and simply superior in many ways, namely controls, story, and environmental effects. There are however some good issues raised by some of the more critical reviews, for example the fact that the game is now more linear than a classic tomb raider game. To this I respond, there are two ways to make a great game, do something different or do like the rest but make it better. The second approach was taken. And still, being a classic tomb raider fan, it's in my book without a doubt the best tomb raider game yet. Expand
  8. Nov 8, 2014
    I ended up liking this game more than I thought I would. Lara Croft proves herself to be totally awesome in this game- her attitude grows from scared and sheltered to a much more confident self, eventually becoming the woman that we all know her to be. This journey is fantastic because it's gradual, and the player doesn't really even realize the shift until near the end, when Lara startsI ended up liking this game more than I thought I would. Lara Croft proves herself to be totally awesome in this game- her attitude grows from scared and sheltered to a much more confident self, eventually becoming the woman that we all know her to be. This journey is fantastic because it's gradual, and the player doesn't really even realize the shift until near the end, when Lara starts verbally taunting enemies and is fully confident in her abilities. Unfortunately, she's the only real character in this game- the rest are cookie-cutter stereotypes pulled from any other genre. Is this game just a ripoff of Uncharted? Maybe- the only thing that sets it apart is the upgrading system of weapons, where your weapons can pick up new and interesting powers along the course of the game. You can level up lara herself, but this is much less interesting- you end up getting lots of powers you could care less about and don't really use that often. Luckily, the gun upgrades are a bit more meaningful. I found the gunplay in this game to be highly satisfying, if only because I enjoyed challenging myself by using the bow much more than I used any other weapon. Finally, the ending to this game is honestly the greatest moment in gaming I've experienced this year. It was worth all the hours I put into beating the single player (only 11 hours) in order to reach the one climactic moment. I recommend this game to just about anyone interested in a mature journey (last note: there were quite a few F-bombs in this game, so be aware if you're sensitive to things like that). Expand
  9. Mar 19, 2013
    Summary: a worth buy due to good combat/upgrade system which makes the control good for adventure combat.

First of all, I am new to this series. So, I will comment more on the game system and plot. Combat/upgrade system: This incorporate many elements from several famous games, like dodging system (Alan Wake), cover taking/stealth kill/instinct (Hitman Absolution), character skill

Combat/upgrade system: This incorporate many elements from several famous games, like dodging system (Alan Wake), cover taking/stealth kill/instinct (Hitman Absolution), character skill upgrade (many action games have this nowadays), resource/weapon part collection (Dead Space 3). Its implementation is so good that the combat can be carried out smoothly with the help of above elements. Lara also interacts with the environment flawlessly, she knows to take cover when needed to, and crouch for stealth encounter when needed to. Very smart indeed. The character skill upgrade are generally helpful as well, but balancing. The use of visual icons to prompt for QTE is generally user friendly to players as well. Excellent.

Plot/Adventure: As a reboot from series, Lara starts as a newbie, and she gets more skill/tactics as she advances through the story, which also allows some back-tracking to previous places for treasure hunting. A good setting! And the developers have guts as well, if it needs to have gore and violence in order to present the cult atmosphere, so it will be. Good try.

Optional quests Action: The game also does not deviate from its main purpose. Yes, tomb raider! So, visiting optional tomb, finding treasures via solving puzzles or climbing jumping, with some cool and exciting jump drop in between. By doing so, players can have some understanding about items, and gain more XP for skill upgrade, a good incentive and fun way to enhance the game play, rather than simply killing enemies.

Overall, a good combat and adventure system and character development throughout the game, with the nice elements implemented, it is really fun to explore the island and complete the side quests.
  10. May 28, 2013
    I like the previous Tomb Raider games also, but this one... this one tops them all. Before, the foundation of Tomb Raider was it's game-play, caring much less about story, characters or even graphics. However, this one has them all. The story is well written and though out, the characters are interesting, the game-play is much more complex and witty, and the graphics are beautiful. AmazingI like the previous Tomb Raider games also, but this one... this one tops them all. Before, the foundation of Tomb Raider was it's game-play, caring much less about story, characters or even graphics. However, this one has them all. The story is well written and though out, the characters are interesting, the game-play is much more complex and witty, and the graphics are beautiful. Amazing game. By far 10/10. Expand
  11. Jan 21, 2014
    This was the biggest gaming surprise I’ve had in a while. I expected a lame rehash from a stale franchise. Instead, I’m happy to announce that Tomb Raider is an incredibly fun and intense experience that has resurrected Lara Croft.

I played the original years ago and while it was fun at the time the formula got old quickly and I could not get interested in the sequels. It was roughly 90% intricate, drawn-out puzzles & platforming with 10% miserable combat sprinkled in. What they’ve done is rebalance the game mechanics so it focuses much more on combat (which is oh-so-fluid) and the puzzles & platforming are more of a side dish. I think this works because it keeps the game moving along.

For example, there are optional tombs you can raid, but they are very small areas with only one puzzle that won’t take you more than 10 minutes to solve. This is a little disappointing, I’ll admit. I would like to have a little more meat to the puzzles, but I will take the short ones over getting bogged down in a 45-minute labyrinth.

RPG elements have been introduced, as well. There is a lot of optional stuff you can do in this game which will yield experience to make Lara stronger through special skills as well as finding “salvage” which is used to improve your weapons in certain ways (more damage, less recoil, etc). Special journals can be found, too, which help to unravel the mystery of the island you’re on.

Another brilliant touch is how they’ve tweaked exploration. Each area has several sets of secrets to uncover but you don’t have to find them all before you move on (some will require items you don’t have yet, anyway). You discover campsites as you play and can fast travel between them. This lets you focus on having fun instead of feeling obligated to gut an area’s secrets right away to avoid a lengthy backtrack to an earlier area. It makes things so nice.

The game is gorgeous, too. Environments are beautiful & smartly designed so they feel very open with lots of nooks & crannies to peek in and usually multiple paths to traverse around obstacles.

As I mentioned earlier, combat is fluid and thrilling, the exact opposite of how it was in the original game. Head shots with fire arrows never get old, and the AI is smart. Ranged opponents will throw fire bombs to flush you out of cover or shoot guns at you while melee opponents will zip line in to close on you. And there are so many gratifying ways to kill them. Stick an arrow shaft through their neck with your hand at close range, dig your climbing axe into their back for a stealth kill, hit a guy right as he’s about to throw dynamite resulting in a friendly fire explosion, etc.

The story is very good, too. Games rarely make me want to play to find out what happens next anymore. Usually the story is something bland & serviceable to keep me level grinding. I really like the narrative in TR, though. Quite unrealistic, of course, but still enjoyable.

And if you’re concerned, keyboard & mouse controls work just fine. This is not one of those sloppy console ports that is unplayable w/out a gamepad.

The only knock I have against this game is the use of quick time events. QTEs are something I want to see go away and never come back. I am tired of the “press E to awesome” gameplay mechanic. However, Tomb Raider doesn’t rely too heavily on them and they are at least presented in a very dramatic way, so don’t listen to any commenters saying the game is nothing but cutscenes & QTEs. The beginning is admittedly slow and has a lot of them, but that’s because you haven’t gotten your weapons yet. Once you get armed, you encounter them a lot less. The QTEs don’t ruin the game and only end up being a very minor annoyance.

There is also the obligatory multiplayer mode that all video games are apparently required by law now to include. I don’t know anything about it and I will probably never play it. It’s an extra thing if you want it, but know that the single player campaign is not lacking at all.

If you like action games, you should definitely pick this one up. Tomb Raider had lost several steps over the years but is now running like a more polished version of Playstation’s Uncharted series, with better combat & storytelling. A very nice surprise that is worth your attention.
  12. Oct 27, 2013
    Easily the best Tomb Raider game. There are a mountain of positives and a mole hill of negatives. I've been a long term fan of this series and one of those people that bought the original of PS1. At the time, that was a benchmark game in every aspect. Fast forward to this, the 2013 edition, I honestly feel this surpases the original in every area. The graphics have to be highlightedEasily the best Tomb Raider game. There are a mountain of positives and a mole hill of negatives. I've been a long term fan of this series and one of those people that bought the original of PS1. At the time, that was a benchmark game in every aspect. Fast forward to this, the 2013 edition, I honestly feel this surpases the original in every area. The graphics have to be highlighted as a point of reference. Seriously, the level of detail is simply stunning and I don't own a better looking game. Set this to Ultra and you'd think you were watching a movie. The soundtrack, gun noises, attention to detail as Lara moves, the story telling, the cast, the dirt on her face, the wind in her hair, etc this list could go on and on. I'm tempted to give this a 10 because it really is that good. As I often say in my reviews, I do not understand other peoples take on games. How can this game (at its absolute worst) be anything less than a 7??? Seriously, those who hate on this game (or games in general) need a mirror. Sadly, the internet is making 'The World' a place for unnecessary venting. My opinion may not be right, but marking Tomb Raider a ZERO is utter BS. Such a shame that there is so much hate in modern day society. Collapse
  13. Mar 26, 2013
    I knew this wasn't going to disappoint considering this Tomb Raider was inspired in one of the best PS3 games, the Uncharted Series.
    This is a fantastic reboot and a step in the right direction. I just hope we get a sequel soon, because i loved and enjoyed every minute and completed it %100.

The environment and the atmosphere is insane, the storyline is really good. It's amazing how Lara personality change over the course of the game in her first adventure. She changes from a naive and scared Lara Croft, to the badass Lara we all know from the past installments.
    The gameplay is fantastic and it adds a lot of value the fact that you can fast travel and go back to the beginning of the game to collect whatever you left behind during your playthrough. I enjoyed a lot going back to different areas after finishing the game, just to enjoy the beautiful scenery of the island without being chased by freaks trying to kill me.

The only thing they could have improved is the MP, which is not that good when you compare it with Uncharted MP. But still, when you play a Tomb Raider game, you play it for its single played and the storyline.

What else can i say?. Tomb Raider is one of my favorite franchise since my very childhood when the first TR came out. This really was a nice surprise and i hope they keep making more like this. They did a tremendous job with this game and even if competition is tough this year, i hope it wins the GOTY or some other awards.
  14. May 7, 2013
    One of, if not the best big title game I have played in the past two years. To start, the story, setting art quality and everything is absolutely astounding. The Pros: The graphics, The graphics are amazing and the game is well coded as the game run perfectly smooth under the right settings with 60+ FPS constantly. The sound effects and voice acting are really well done. I also loved theOne of, if not the best big title game I have played in the past two years. To start, the story, setting art quality and everything is absolutely astounding. The Pros: The graphics, The graphics are amazing and the game is well coded as the game run perfectly smooth under the right settings with 60+ FPS constantly. The sound effects and voice acting are really well done. I also loved the 3rd person shooting exspereince. The cover system, wall hugging, (Which work way better then most dedicated shooter games with this mechanic) including all the other animations really add to the obvious hard work that was put into this game. I mean, everything visually and the audio were all well done and really add to the immersion. The story is fantastic and I found myself looking in every corner to find all the artifacts to learn more. I also loved the slight RPG element of ranking up Lara's powers and tweaking out her weapons was a nice touch! I haven't had this much fun in a mostly single player game since Metro 2033 in 2010! I also loved how this game rewards exploring the island rather then other games that kinda steer you to powering through the level without any consideration for games details. Also unlike most games made these days that are so heavily flawed with bugs and glitches, this game had near to none and was extremely stable! During my 20 hours of game(Which is a lot of content and is totaly worth the price) I only have one game crash. I could go on and on, but to wrap this up; the reason this game did not get a 10 is as follow. Cons: What I did not like that was throughout the entire game was the abundance of ammo and the games overall difficulty. In a survival game I expected ammo to be scarce, particularly for fire arms. But, what I found was i was constantly full on ammo 90% of the time in the game. I found myself trying to waste ammo rather then hording it simple because there was so much laying around and on enemies. Also was the games difficulty, I started and played the game on HARD. The combat is pretty easy, unless you do something really stupid as run out in the open; you really can't die. The puzzles are really simple and easy to figure out, Tombs I expected were to be hard and dangerous mini-dungeons, but in reality each of the tombs were hardly deadly at all save maybe a few falls with no enemies guarding the treasures. So over all the game was actually pretty easy, also weapons are extremely accurate even at long ranges such as with the Bow or the Handgun. My last thing was the game did emphasize on exploration and you can explore A LOT of key land marks in the game, almost every prop was explorable, but at the same time you do have invisible walls. I was hoping for a more open world environment to explore rather then almost every level being set in some type of canyon, small basin, narrow passage or every environment where you constantly have walls on both sides or a bottomless canyon. Besides those things, this game is flawless and a must buy must play. You will not be disappointed! This game surely is fun and totally worth the price! Expand
  15. Mar 22, 2013
    Absolutely amazing! This game is so engaging and I could not put down my controller for hours and hours. Interesting story, fine combat mechanics, exciting adventures! The game has much to do even after the main story. Revisiting areas with new gears and find collectibles. Watching how Lara change and grow throughout the game is also very intriguing. Buy it.
  16. May 8, 2013
    A lot of people are calling this a "linear, scripted, on-rails game". This is far from the truth, Tomb Raider is a great action game, and yes it does have it's linear moments, with QTE's every once in a while, BUT as an ADVENTURE game Tomb Raider gets it juuust right, yes, it's not completely open-world, however the locations in this game are quite large for a third-personA lot of people are calling this a "linear, scripted, on-rails game". This is far from the truth, Tomb Raider is a great action game, and yes it does have it's linear moments, with QTE's every once in a while, BUT as an ADVENTURE game Tomb Raider gets it juuust right, yes, it's not completely open-world, however the locations in this game are quite large for a third-person action/adventure, and they encourage exploration, for example: The extensively large map is divided into different locations and at one point in the game (I'm about 1/3 of the way through the game at the moment) a certain event occurs where pretty much half of a particular area opens up for you to explore places that weren't available previously, so you can choose to carry on with the adventure OR choose to explore a bit more and find interesting stuff like ancient journals or upgrades for your weapons. Then there's the length of the game, my oh my was I surprised when I was about 10 hours into it and I realized I was just barely getting towards the half-way point of the map. This game is worth every penny, whether you want an extensive action/adventure experience, or you just want something to keep you busy for about 10-12 hours, it's all about choice Expand
  17. Apr 21, 2014
    It's extremely rare I give a game a full 10, but this is it! Combat dynamics, story, variety, drama, this game has it all! You feel like you're in a movie. Graphics are gorgeous, voice acting is top notch, xbox 360 controller integration is perfect, and the pacing never lets up.

If you want a tightly scripted and superbly-paced action game, you need to play this. I can't think of anything better.
  18. Mar 5, 2013
    This is one of those games where you get so involved with the character and with the visuals surrounding it. The story line is amazing the sound effect are awesome. The multiplayer is even not that bad I actually enjoyed playing a litle bit of it. I think this is one of my favorite so far this year.
  19. May 2, 2013
    It's highly recommended that you find all relics, hidden tombs and special challenge items before the last big fight, as it will make your character stronger! Definitely a great game, take your time with it.
  20. Jul 18, 2013
    Tomb Raider a movie or a game? I call games like The Walking Dead "Interactive Movies". However Tomb Raider is not one of them since your actions do not change the story. TR is a game at its core but what makes it so special is not the game mechanics but Lara's steps towards becoming who we know her for. Some people say that they have to go through many cutscenes in order to play but theTomb Raider a movie or a game? I call games like The Walking Dead "Interactive Movies". However Tomb Raider is not one of them since your actions do not change the story. TR is a game at its core but what makes it so special is not the game mechanics but Lara's steps towards becoming who we know her for. Some people say that they have to go through many cutscenes in order to play but the story is what kept me going. Perhaps that is why the game has so little replay value and is quite short. I don't mind. I quote Hilary Cooper "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away". Rarely have I seen more beautiful world design, animation, facial animation, voice acting and graphics. I've definitively never seen all that in one game. Lara is simply gorgeous because she is no longer solely a sex symbol. In terms of character development she can be compared to Alyx Vance from Half-Life 2. However you may ask if it's not the actual gameplay that counts, what not just watch the cutscenes? You could but you would never reach the level of immersion the game has to offer, it wouldn't feel like an adventure if you don't explore. Besides the gameplay is a lot of fun, it just doesn't stand on it's own. As for the price, if 50 euros scare you then you can often get 50% off on Steam. Totally worth it. Expand
  21. May 2, 2013
    just an amazing game. the story is great and you care for the characters. gameplay is nice as well, nothing special but its still very good. the cover system is really good as well. the game also has stunning visuals and great design. its one of the best looking game to date. you also have special equipment like an arrow with a rope and stuff like that. there are also skill trees which arejust an amazing game. the story is great and you care for the characters. gameplay is nice as well, nothing special but its still very good. the cover system is really good as well. the game also has stunning visuals and great design. its one of the best looking game to date. you also have special equipment like an arrow with a rope and stuff like that. there are also skill trees which are a nice edition. a really good thing about the game is that it has a lot of focus on exploring, not just shooting. this is an adventure game, and while it has a lot of shooting (the shooting mechanics are really good) this is an adventure game!!!!
    overall this is a great game you should definetly but!!!! its epic!!!!
  22. Mar 28, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game, and on the plus side of things you have: The graphics, the aesthetics, the gameplay, the story, the atmosphere and the fact that the puzzle tombs are an option and not a requirement (though some puzzling and platforming is required for the story, ofcourse). Negatives: The amount of stuff you 'have' to pick up is insane and most of it makes no sense. Relics,I really enjoyed this game, and on the plus side of things you have: The graphics, the aesthetics, the gameplay, the story, the atmosphere and the fact that the puzzle tombs are an option and not a requirement (though some puzzling and platforming is required for the story, ofcourse). Negatives: The amount of stuff you 'have' to pick up is insane and most of it makes no sense. Relics, mushrooms, gps cache's etc. All of this is just dumb, the only things actually worth picking up is the documents, because they add to the story and character development, other than that you just get an xp bonus.

I would have liked to have the survival aspect of the game more thoroughly pronounced, I like that you have to salvage stuff to create your/upgrade your makeshift weapons, but they should have gone a bit further on that note if you ask me. Hopefully they will do that in the next game.
    I would have loved to see less QTE's aswell, or at least make them more apparent as to what you are supposed to do during the QTE, there was one where all it said was hit the button (not which one) when the circle blinks, and I have a keyboard, so there are lots of buttons to press. Anyway that would go down as a bug and something you can accept, since you will forget it later on.
    Also, stop with the achievement announcements and "model unlocked" stuff that happens almost constantly, it takes away from being completely gripped by the game. I would have been completely swallowed by it had these things not happened.
    A last negative is that the nVidia drivers for the game were horrible, which was both part crystal dynamics and nvidias fault, even if the game is "made for AMD" it makes no sense to have it so horribly optimized as it was for nvidia cards at launch. Crash to desktop, insane fps drops, weird gpu usage etc. This has all been fixed, but still, it should not have happened in the first place.

My verdict is a 9/10, the issues I have listed are, for me, enough to drag it down a point, but no further... This is a masterpiece, and 2013 has shown to be a great year, so far, for gaming, if you ask me.
  23. Apr 22, 2013
    One of the better story driven games I have played. I went into it not expecting much, but was instantly glued to my PC and couldn't stop until it was finished. Amazing graphics sound and story. Disappointed with Lara's development though, before you know it she will be mowing down waves of enemies, which doesn't fit her character at all. Definitely one of the best games so far thisOne of the better story driven games I have played. I went into it not expecting much, but was instantly glued to my PC and couldn't stop until it was finished. Amazing graphics sound and story. Disappointed with Lara's development though, before you know it she will be mowing down waves of enemies, which doesn't fit her character at all. Definitely one of the best games so far this year, recommend it highly, even over Bioshock. Expand
  24. Jun 7, 2013
    It's hard to not like this game. It's really great to look at, the story is fun, the narrative clicks along nicely, and the gameplay is engaging. What makes it shine though is the revision of Lara Croft from a fan service brain on boobs to a believable and real young woman. She is still sexy, but she is sexy for the right reasons: because she is fierce, intelligent, capable, and faces herIt's hard to not like this game. It's really great to look at, the story is fun, the narrative clicks along nicely, and the gameplay is engaging. What makes it shine though is the revision of Lara Croft from a fan service brain on boobs to a believable and real young woman. She is still sexy, but she is sexy for the right reasons: because she is fierce, intelligent, capable, and faces her fears. She's awesome. Definitely a must play. Expand
  25. Apr 16, 2014
    I played the original TR back on the PS1 and have touched a couple of the other ones and was never really that sucked in. This one however is amazing. There is a mix of stealth, gun play, puzzles and story that kept me entertained the whole time. Such a huge improvement that I can't wait for a sequel now.
  26. Nov 9, 2013
    There is pretty much nothing bad to say about this game except for the terrible multiplayer, which shouldn't even have been added. I grabbed this game on a steam sale not expecting much and boy was I surprised. What a fantastic and thrilling ride. I can't help but compare this to Uncharted, which is quite ironic, since Uncharted was inspired by the original Tomb Raider in the first place.There is pretty much nothing bad to say about this game except for the terrible multiplayer, which shouldn't even have been added. I grabbed this game on a steam sale not expecting much and boy was I surprised. What a fantastic and thrilling ride. I can't help but compare this to Uncharted, which is quite ironic, since Uncharted was inspired by the original Tomb Raider in the first place. It's the same action packed cinematic adventure, but Tomb Raider is a much darker game which feels quite believable (well, except for the hordes of enemies Lara slays). As you follow Lara on her journey to save her friends, you feel her pain. When she falls, she falls hard, when she's injured, you feel the misery she is experiencing. Watching Lara go through all that hardship is terrible, but in a good way, and that's a HUGE thumbs up to the developers for that. I don't think I've ever played a game where I've been that connected to the character and felt his every move. Expand
  27. sft
    Oct 13, 2014
    A raider reborn

A raider reborn

I thoroughly enjoyed this game (this is the first TR game I’ve played so I can’t compare it with Lara’s previous outings) and, a few gripes aside, it deserves a place in my current top 10. Visually, this game is very striking. It also has a pretty good AI and enjoyable combat. The voice acting is good, and the storyline, despite being conventional, is better than average. The mix of exploration, puzzle-solving, combat, and parkour-style platforming is well-balanced and satisfying and gives the game a much broader scope than most. A couple of the QTEs are annoying, but on the whole the set-pieces are well choreographed, impressively designed, and fun to complete. The save system is also a little frustrating, especially if you happen to mistime a jump halfway between checkpoints (sadly us PC gamers are used to this). Overall TOMB RAIDER is an impressive example of excellent game design and is immensely enjoyable to play.

4.5/5
  28. Jan 18, 2014
    [TombRaider on SteamPC Score 9 ] Truly a great Reboot and a must for Fans of the TombRaider series. This is the perfect update to the TombRaider franchise with all the run and gun, the platforming and the puzzle solving you loved in the previous editions but with Gorgeous 3D modelling, atmospherics, physics, water and more. A perfectly balanced and highly enjoyable 36 hours of fun just[TombRaider on SteamPC Score 9 ] Truly a great Reboot and a must for Fans of the TombRaider series. This is the perfect update to the TombRaider franchise with all the run and gun, the platforming and the puzzle solving you loved in the previous editions but with Gorgeous 3D modelling, atmospherics, physics, water and more. A perfectly balanced and highly enjoyable 36 hours of fun just waiting for you….. add to cart : )) My only regret is that there is no advantage to Solo Replay; finishing unfound collectibles is fun but very short. Multiplayer is available but you will need to look up a review elsewhere.

[Released] by Square Enix and ported to PC by Nixxies: yeah Nixxies did good work and you should enjoy it. Nixxies did however screw one thing up: Remapping primary key bindings is possible but the alternative secondary key bindings just screw up and then screwed up the on screen instructions. Tolerable but just plain poor programming on somebodies part… NB: This is not a game breaker and should not affect your decision to buy this game because this game really is Fantastic, I just wanted Square Enix and Nixxies to know that this looks bad for them. I enjoyed every second of this game otherwise.

[DRM] Steam only, thank goodness there is no GamesForWindowsLive / Origin / Uplay on this title, I did not have to create an alternative account. [Story] is a prequel to all the Lara Croft adventures…young Lara Croft, a little more helpless, a little more emotional, and sometimes a little too whiny. Character dialogue is immature especially with NPCs, who wrote this balloney? [Saves] Automatic saves as they should be. Perfect. Manual saves as usual.

[Bugs] None that I am aware of….except the key binding fudge. Digital fudge.

[Graphics] Default settings were to heavy on the post processing…. Even though my PC was flipping 60 FPS the depth of field effects and other sh*t was too much. I cut back a lot of the effects and it looked great; sometimes Less is More, and this was it.

[MyPC 2011] i7-2600K 3.4GHz / ASUS Z68 ProGen3 / 8G RAM / Radeon 6870 / W7 PRO SP1 / Samsung 275T @1920x1200 / Logitech G15 / Kensington ExpertMouse / Sennheiser HD600

[MyFavorites] [NowPlaying] BrokenAge [Win7] TombRaider Dishonored TheKnifeOfDunwall TheBrigmoreWitches TheDreamMachine Ep1-4 30FlightsOfLoving Fez BioshockInfinite Antichamber Stacking Metro2033 Rochard Crysis&Warhead&2 JustCause2 Rage [XP] Papo&Yo DeuxExHR&TheMissingLink DeadSpace1&2 Fallout3&NewVegas HalfLife1&2 Bordelands1&2 BatmanArkumAsylum AssassinsCreed Magicka RedFaction Portal1&2 FromDust MrRobot Sam&MaxSeasons1&2 CulpaInnata TheSecretOfMonkeyIsland DreamfallTheLongestJourney Syberia1&2 CrayonPhysicsDeluxe DefenseGridTheAwakening PlantsVsZombies Prototype Bioshock1&2 UnrealTournament3 Quake4 [360] AfroSamurai BrutalLegends [XBOX] HALO KOTOR1&2 Crackdown ArmedAndDangerous AggressiveInline BeyondGoodAndEvil DeadOrAlive1&2&3&ExtremeBeachVolleyball Psychonauts [AppleG4] FullThrottle DeusExMachina ONI ReturnToZork Suspended UnrealTournament TombRaiderSeries

[Born] 1964 [PS: I do not know anybody who works in the game industry ~ I just enjoy games : - ]
  29. Mar 24, 2013
    One of the best games Ive played in recent times. I have never been a big fan of the actual Tomb Raider games (I loathe platformers!), but this reboot prequel really does everything right. Graphics, voice-acting, presentation, set-pieces, plot, gameplay, music, the open world...it nails everything almost perfectly. Probably the only aspect which I found frustrating was the quick-timeOne of the best games Ive played in recent times. I have never been a big fan of the actual Tomb Raider games (I loathe platformers!), but this reboot prequel really does everything right. Graphics, voice-acting, presentation, set-pieces, plot, gameplay, music, the open world...it nails everything almost perfectly. Probably the only aspect which I found frustrating was the quick-time events which felt forced and really detracts from the gameplay. Thankfully, they're far and few while the rest of this amazing game more than makes up for it. If only all modern games can have this kind of polish and well-executed. Tomb Raider (2013) is a triumph and shows that the gaming industry can still produce solid titles that can be original while warding off the intricacies of distributor manipulation (such as micro-transactions and DRM). If you call yourself a gamer, buy this game. Expand
  30. Mar 6, 2013
    This game is by far the best Tomb Raider in the series. It is very well polished, the graphics are excellent, the story is great so far and the gameplay is really excellent. The game has a few too many quick-time and cut scene sequences for my liking, but they do add to the story and the excitement I guess. Its clear the developers put a lot of effort into the game and I'd say its wellThis game is by far the best Tomb Raider in the series. It is very well polished, the graphics are excellent, the story is great so far and the gameplay is really excellent. The game has a few too many quick-time and cut scene sequences for my liking, but they do add to the story and the excitement I guess. Its clear the developers put a lot of effort into the game and I'd say its well worth buying, even at full price. Expand
  31. Xon
    May 18, 2013
    The makers of this game tried to pack everything they possibly could into this game. It has more than decent graphics, excellent voice work, splendid animation, and an above par story.

Yes, at times it feels like an interactive movie but for me it didn't detract from the experience, but made a more than positive contribution. There were moments I was struck by the same sense of

There were moments I was struck by the same sense of wonder and exhilaration I'd felt back when I played the original Tomb Raider.

All in all a top notch game.
  32. Jul 25, 2013
    This game does so many things great, camera is perfectly situated while climbing, QTE are done so great that u wont even notice its a QTE and on top of that u wont be pissed off by them. Story is great, discovering island and gathering bonuses and raiding tombs is sattisfiing. Graphics are great and the ingame movies are well done. Only bad points are linearity and its not really an openThis game does so many things great, camera is perfectly situated while climbing, QTE are done so great that u wont even notice its a QTE and on top of that u wont be pissed off by them. Story is great, discovering island and gathering bonuses and raiding tombs is sattisfiing. Graphics are great and the ingame movies are well done. Only bad points are linearity and its not really an open world game. As a modern reboot of Tomb Raider it is a succes. Expand
  33. Mar 5, 2013
    Brilliant reboot! All the nostalgia is coming back in a good way. But in with a more refined and compact package that leans on what Batman Arkham Asylum showed you could do with a story and RPG-style skill weapon unlock system. Lara ends up getting into the thick of things and slowly unlocks gadgets and new skills that make traversing over the visually stunning and very atmospheric areasBrilliant reboot! All the nostalgia is coming back in a good way. But in with a more refined and compact package that leans on what Batman Arkham Asylum showed you could do with a story and RPG-style skill weapon unlock system. Lara ends up getting into the thick of things and slowly unlocks gadgets and new skills that make traversing over the visually stunning and very atmospheric areas with ease. There is a little bit more gun-play than you may be expecting, but nothing that gets overly distracting. You are still very much at ease most of the time to go hunting for collectibles (and there are a LOT of collectibles), as well as hunting down the "hidden" tombs. The entire game took me ~12 hrs to complete on normal at ~80% completion, with 1 skill point and 2 weapon mods away from 100% the upgrade zone, and the rest were missing collectibles. (diaries, relics, gps locations, treasure maps etc.). The game ran very smoothly on my q9450, 560ti, Windows 7, SSD, 4gb ddr2 at 1080p everything set to ultra, except: shadows on medium, tressFX off, reflections on normal pumping out 40fps.My favourite part of the game has to be the melee fighting, where you can dodge enemies and then get finishing moves if you time it correctly to kill them off in brutal fashion. Arrow to the face, bullet through their heads etc. in super slow-mo eye candy brain popping glory! (Yes I was just playing Dead Space 2... so slightly into it!). All I can say is the story is well worth your time, the characters are interesting, and this rebooted Lara will definitely be worth continuing on with for a few more outings hopefully. The PC port is well done and has numerous graphical settings, runs really well (just like most Squenix ports of recent times, DX:HR, JC2, etc.) and works perfectly with a mouse and keyboard. The QTEs are slightly annoying at first, but once you pick up the 3 buttons required, they are no longer annoying and really just immerse you into the world. One of the best parts of the entire experience beyond the visuals, story, atmosphere and gameplay would have to be that they've managed to pretty much do away with any level loading screens as you transition in these little tunnels and ledges and what not between areas and it is done so professionally that it really ramps up the immersion as you can play the game for 5 hrs straight and never see a loading screen if you don't die. TLDR: Get it, love it, thank me later! Expand
  34. Jul 20, 2013
    What a fantastic game. To start this is one of the best looking games I've seen. The environments are gorgeous, detailed, and visual effects are incredible. From the fog in the forests to burning buildings and the rain and wind effects this game looks perfect. The direction of the game is incredible, with good camera angles, distance, screen shake and all that to really put you in theWhat a fantastic game. To start this is one of the best looking games I've seen. The environments are gorgeous, detailed, and visual effects are incredible. From the fog in the forests to burning buildings and the rain and wind effects this game looks perfect. The direction of the game is incredible, with good camera angles, distance, screen shake and all that to really put you in the experience. This game uses a lot of things repeatedly...quick-time events, cut-scenes galore, and Lara gets tossed down a mountain every 5 minutes...it never get boring (except for may some of the collecting challenges), it's always engaging, and often breathtaking to behold. This is a great origin story for Lara Croft and a truly fun game and cinematic experience. Expand
  35. Jun 18, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game. It is a true come back of Lara Croft. And it is better than recently productions. I always wanted Tomb Raider to be like this. More realistic, more dramatic. Gameplay is really good. Plot is someway good and crazy. Collectibles are nice and graphics and music are amazing. I had a good time with this game and every Lara fan will like it too.
  36. Dec 27, 2013
    The old Tomb Raider games are average at best in my opinion, so this game came as a surprise for me. It has everything a good adventure needs and is a little more realistic and serious than the original games, which makes it so much better. The only bad thing I can bring up are the quick time events.

Best remake of a video game series and one of the best games of 2013.
  37. Nov 16, 2013
    Great game! But the game still feels less involving compared to The Last Of Us. Why? Even with better graphics and framerates, TR's adventure is all about being exploring & fighting all alone. Thus, only Lara's character is properly developed, but not any other supporting characters. TLOU is way more magical as it gets you fully immersed in the relationship between Ellie & Joel. Lara isGreat game! But the game still feels less involving compared to The Last Of Us. Why? Even with better graphics and framerates, TR's adventure is all about being exploring & fighting all alone. Thus, only Lara's character is properly developed, but not any other supporting characters. TLOU is way more magical as it gets you fully immersed in the relationship between Ellie & Joel. Lara is just Lara. I think we need Lara to start having a serious relationship with someone else, explore caves together & go into battle together. Its more fun with "friends", even if they're AI bots. Other than this lonely feel to this game, the rest of the game is simply brilliant! Loved the highs & lows of the game. Decent length & a good story (unlike the ultra-short piece of crap called BF4). I'm glad the puzzles have been toned down, to keep the story moving. Those who like puzzles can always explore the optional caves. I prefer the main quests to enjoy the story on 1st playthrough. Well, looking forward to Tomb Raider 2! Expand
  38. May 16, 2013
    I want to give this game an eleven, heck at least a ten, but I can't. I can't give it a twenty, because the damn developers had to add shaky cam into the one of the best games released this year. I can't take shaky cam, a lot of us have a problem with it, same with 3D glasses. It gives a small part of the population motion sickness and nausea. For the love of god, please get rid of HeadI want to give this game an eleven, heck at least a ten, but I can't. I can't give it a twenty, because the damn developers had to add shaky cam into the one of the best games released this year. I can't take shaky cam, a lot of us have a problem with it, same with 3D glasses. It gives a small part of the population motion sickness and nausea. For the love of god, please get rid of Head bobs and shaking cameras, we love your game, but we still can't bloody well enjoy it eh? Expand
  39. Apr 21, 2013
    I came here to give Tomb Raider 2013 a score of 10. I've done this. Tomb Raider has great voice acting, great graphics, great environments, great story, great characters, great multiplayer. great gameplay. I've been playing games all my life. I know games. Trust me. Buy this. You will not regret it.
  40. Mar 12, 2013
    First of all i have to say that i was blown away with the new Tomb Raider. It is beyond my expectation. Visually very eye candy, sound effects are very good, controls are easy and responding. Enemy AI could be more clever, but hey, they are deadly enough if you are to slow. There is so much to explore and rewards are good. To keep this short as possible, people this game is worth playing.First of all i have to say that i was blown away with the new Tomb Raider. It is beyond my expectation. Visually very eye candy, sound effects are very good, controls are easy and responding. Enemy AI could be more clever, but hey, they are deadly enough if you are to slow. There is so much to explore and rewards are good. To keep this short as possible, people this game is worth playing. The best game so far in this year. Expand
  41. Dec 30, 2013
    Tomb Raider is a game I picked up on sale, not really knowing what to expect. What I got was a great experience. The visuals are stunning, the audio is masterful, and the gameplay is very fun.

However, the story was fairly weak. How am I expected to believe that this is her "becoming a survivalist" story when she murders roughly 300 people per second and survives beatings and falls fit for a super-human? It really should have been toned down A LOT. The actual story is interesting, but most of the characters aren't. There isn't much character development, either.

I am willing to look past these flaws and acknowledge this great game. One of the best this year, and i'll certainly be playing the sequel.
  42. Dec 6, 2014
    Tomb Raider is a fantastic game, filled with adventure and exploration. Even though it has limited replay value, the gameplay is simply excellent.

1. Graphics: 9/10 - detailed and fantastic 2. Gameplay: 8/10 - great controls, and natural and fluid character animation make gameplay satisfying. Also, players can approach encounters as they see fit - stealth or all-out assault. Excellent.

1. Graphics: 9/10 - detailed and fantastic
    3. Story: 7/10 - interesting story, but rather simple.

Overall, an amazing game.
  43. Mar 19, 2013
    9 10 AMAZING, easily the best Tomb Raider game to date, it's an incredible mix of open-world exploration and intense action sequences. Excellent presentation, good (while unoriginal) story, and an amazing singleplayer campaign.

PRESENTATION: All of the visuals are amazing, whether it be the depth of field, particle effects, animations, or the textures. Just make sure to optimize it to whatever your computer's strength may be. The sounds are great too; voice acting is great (especially from Lara's character), music is phenomenal, and the effects are all great. Camera angles have always been a major problem with the Tomb Raider series, but this one fixed that up and it's "fine" now. However, why are the liquid drops on the camera? That makes no sense, and just gets annoying. If this were first-person, it'd make sense, but now?

STORY: It love the story, it has a very Indiana Jones style feeling. The game has a great mix of intense, gritty, and brutal moments with moments that just feel like pure light-hearted adventure. A feeling I haven't had since I played Twilight Princess back when I first got a Wii. I like the characters, only a few have a critical impact on the story, but I actually ended up being able to distinguish them all, and liked them all for their individual quirks. (except for Wittman, that pansy)

GAMEPLAY: Platforming, combat, RPG-like system, and the huge world off of the given path are so perfect, it's a little breath-taking. The cover mechanic is actually amazing, which is surprising considering how clunky other games have used it. There's some decent stealth, but the assaulting moments are the beef of the gameplay. HOWEVER, the multiplayer is so downright awful, I couldn't believe it, I don't even suggest touching it. I forced myself through a few matches just so that I could bring you this lack of information, it's terrible. But the rest is great! I'm done here, thanks for reading!
  44. Mar 17, 2013
    This is a fantastic reboot, and very few people are acknowledging the real bright spots. They've transformed Lara Croft from a bimbo sex object to a real person you care about. I found myself not wanting to die in the game because I didn't want the character to suffer. When's the last time you felt that in a game? Half-Life 2 with Alyx, if you're like me. The much hated quick timeThis is a fantastic reboot, and very few people are acknowledging the real bright spots. They've transformed Lara Croft from a bimbo sex object to a real person you care about. I found myself not wanting to die in the game because I didn't want the character to suffer. When's the last time you felt that in a game? Half-Life 2 with Alyx, if you're like me. The much hated quick time events are in the first hour of the game. Many of these haters did not play past them! Later on the quick time events become thrilling as they're incorporated into huge cinematic set pieces, and they're very intuitive instead of frustrating. This game has fantastic suspenseful combat. I just finished Crysis 3 and Far Cry 3; neither game produced the frantic feeling Tomb Raider does regularly. This game has perfect controls. When you miss a jump or something it's always your fault not the game screwing you. This game has great exploration. I couldn't wait to see what's around the next corner. The only negatives I have are those early quick time events and the stupid dialog coming from the henchman. They really should've come up with some better lines for those guys. But really it's the transformation of Lara Croft that should be widely praised. Expand
  45. Mar 5, 2013
    Looks like GOTY just got sown up.. this is art.. this is movie and game become one. This is what we wanted and NEEDED after a lackluster and disappointing start to 2013. I love it. and cannot get enough. Awesome.
  46. Apr 19, 2013
    There is only one word that could approximate a definition for this game: "Masterpiece".

I'm an old TR fan to let it understand to the few people who can understand it around the world, there are not many ones who can say "in Tomb Raider II I entered THAT door", well, I'm one of them. I was waiting for a game like this since.... Well, back to the review, this game is 100% well balanced, to point out few things I would improve: 1) the level design is "nearly perfect", only I'm missing a little the "how the F... I can reach that spot feeling, I hope that in a sequel this could be addressed cause the platforming is however rewarding as never but I feel that a bit more challenge could add to the experience. 2) Lara is responding in a perfect way, in the game you really feel you ARE Lara Croft and not just driving a mannequin, this boost that already spoken "I want more" from the (outstanding) environment. 3) the very well implemented RPG options could be implemented better, the first two survival skills for example, if I'm not missing something are pretty nearly useless throughout the game, adding more vicious animals to defend from and the need to feed yourself to keep health regenerating could have given a meaning to those. 4) When you have the right equipment there is too few backtracking that could be done in order to discover more, there are no reasons to explore again an already 100%ed sector except to gain some experience from enemies, a couple of "ok now I have this, let see if I can access that spot" per sector could have been an HUGE booster for the overall experience. 5) The upgrade system is well crafted and enough satisfying but hiding the upgrades in the menu could give that feeling of "what now that is thrown away from the complete visible list. 6) The above also works for collectibles, I hate games in which you knows in advance what you will find in them, this applies even to this beautiful game, knowing in advance how many collectibles I have to find is one of the worst part of this title, an "I feel like I'm still missing something in this area" would be a much more effective way to manage the whole thing, as well as get rid of percentage counters, as well as giving a more puzzle meaning to collectibles while being able to see them as you find them not in advance. 7) Tombs, those are very well crafted but really feels too short for a true TR lover, I'm expecting to see more of them and more complex along with some well crafted underwater mess on the sequel. 8) Secondary bosses: it could be nice to hear Lara commenting on her equipment and physically see the parts of it as well as seeing Lara assembling those parts ...and having secondary bosses to fight experimenting on them the new acquired firepower while tasting the new discovered within herself passion for raiding tombs. 9) the story: it's really well crafted but could be balanced better, at an emotional level the story requires you to keep going while the gameplay requires you to explore, well, it is balanced but it could be more, from a gameplay perspective everything that's "hurry on" is out of place in a TR game, also the acting is top notch but could have been polished aligning it with the above point of view. 9) Enemies: sometimes it's like I'm facing the old chapters enemies, well the AI is not that bad but sometimes is not polished as it should be resulting in too few options at your enemies to choose from making the mass-murder them a bit too easy while sometimes they can spot you too realistically when you don't have any chance to spot them making impossible to sneak past or avoid or stealth kill someone that even knowing you are somewhere on the island shouldn't know you are "right there". 10) Indicators: I think that a lens could suffice to point out the presence of something, no need to show the button everytime, it slightly detract to immersion.

However the above are only my suggestions in case of an unlikely reading of my review by someone from Crystal Dynamics that, however, does not detract a bit to the gorgeousness of the game, the game is already 99,99%, the above only could boost it at 100% and a sequel to 200%

Despite the above this game is a helluva BLAST that's worth every penny, a "back to those days" for TR fans and a good point to start from for those who are not...yet..

Thanks SquareEnix, thanks Crystal Dynamics, playing it I can feel all the efforts you made to make not only a generic masterpiece but a Tomb Raider masterpiece, I'm one of the biggest fan of TR on planet Earth and you made me proud again of being, I sincerely hope it could have the success it deserves as well as seeing sequels of the same quality in which I will be able to hear the "Oh-hh!" turn in the well known "Ah-haa!", if you knows what I mean.. :)

This stuff was for SQUEX and CD, to everyone else all I can say is that this game is truly one of the best games ever made, it looks gorgeous, it sounds great, it plays amazingly.
  47. Mar 5, 2013
    I don't often write reviews but... wow. I Am absolutely blown away, I didn't expect anything from this game. I enjoyed the old games, (1,2, Angel of darkness, underworld) but this one just blew me away, the intro was great and it kept me going, the adrenaline doesn't stop and the action just keeps coming, I even feel bad for Lara after everything she goes through.

The graphics are

The graphics are sensational (I'm running a gtx680), the hair effects look amazing most of the time, but they have their glitches and screw ups (like the effects disappearing for a second and her hair looking bland during intense cut scenes, it could be a driver thing or something they could patch). As mentioned the story is thrilling and keeps you wanting more, the side quests are worthwhile and brings back old Lara memories. The gameplay is solid, the free running reminds me of assassins creed mixed with old school lara. The bow is great, the guns can feel a bit clunky at times but still suits fine considering she wouldn't be a gun expert. Point blank confrontations with enemies are awkward at first but goes nicely with the story, but once you adapt and learn abilities it works out great and flows greatly.

Overall a true underdog for me and a very nice recreation of Lara. Good job crystal.
  48. Mar 9, 2013
    The graphics are un-god-damn-believable. It's fully decked out for PC and then ported to console, not the other way around. Every frame of this game is a work of art. It's an adventure and not a blood fest. Open world. Love it.
  49. Oct 13, 2013
    technical Issues 10 ]
    ------------------------------------
    Over All 8.9
  50. Oct 23, 2014
    Amazing game. Everything about this game screams quality. Visuals are stunning, sound effects are amazing and the storyline is immersive. Definitely one of the best games of it's generation.
  51. Mar 8, 2013
    In summary... GET THIS GAME.

In summary... GET THIS GAME.

I rarely find a game that will want me coming back for more. This game not only made me eager to get back to playing it, but I'm also eager to play through it again! After playing only one tomb raider game I hadn't had a high impression of the tomb raider franchise and the only reason I looked into getting this game is the extreme positive feedback from some reviews. The graphics are amazing, some of the most beautiful I have ever seen. The detail put into Lara, the characters and the scenery is outstanding (I can't think of a word to praise it enough). The story is very original; I think they did the right thing by starting a reboot with a novice Lara and building up her character and personality through the emotional story. I liked the combat and controls, it is kept simple and fits in with her character (for example, instead of blocking she dodges attacks). The QTE felt simple but were extremely intense as most situation escalated quickly as our poor Lara was thrown around or falling once again. There are only minor things that this game could have improved on; the enemy AI felt like it was just a wave after wave of mindless drones and QTE were sometimes so well implemented I didn't know whether I was to watch an action scene or start moving Lara. Overall this game is brilliant and a very successful reboot. I expect another game to come after this one (I would be very disappointed if they didn't).
  52. Mar 12, 2013
    I didn't think I would get this game but my friend convinced me it was awesome. He was right, this game is fantastic. Crystal Dynamics really poured blood and sweat into this game. The PC port is very well done almost to the point of reminding you of The Golden Age of PC gaming. The graphics on High and Ultra settings vary from solid to mind blowing (Geothermal Caves looked amazing). TheI didn't think I would get this game but my friend convinced me it was awesome. He was right, this game is fantastic. Crystal Dynamics really poured blood and sweat into this game. The PC port is very well done almost to the point of reminding you of The Golden Age of PC gaming. The graphics on High and Ultra settings vary from solid to mind blowing (Geothermal Caves looked amazing). The sound design is exceptional. There is so much detail in this game that you really get immersed in the world. The pacing of the game is tight and the combat is good. If you buy this expecting the old school arcade style Tomb Raider combat you will be let down. The combat requires using cover and moving tactically but also offers melee takedown options. The world design and leveling/upgrade system is like Batman Arkham Asylum. Old fans of Tomb Raider might be let down by this but if you like a quality game you might get over it because this game has it all. There are a few reasons I didn't give Tomb Raider a 10/10. The game on Hard is just a bit too easy and there is not NG+ or any mode to make the game more difficult. One time the AI bugged and just sat there while I killed three guys. Even though the audio and graphics are a 10/10 the combat is really only and 8 or 9, it's good but not perfect to the point where it's the primary reason you're playing the game. Another problem I had with the game is Lara's voice acting and the lines they gave her, it's just the same tone over and over even though the character evolves throughout the story. Despite these problems this game is still a great achievement and I hope Square Enix allows Crystal Dynamics to produce an even better sequel because they obviously have the talent to produce a nearly perfect game. Expand
  53. Oct 6, 2013
    A well needed reboot, this game delivers a fantastic story and great game play with some amazing visuals thrown in. One of my favorite games of 2013.
  54. Mar 9, 2013
    the game is just below excellent. Has nothing to do with the previous titles in the series. The graphics are amazing, the gameplay is very good (has improved since the last game). Generally the game left me with a good taste of what can be done in the future from Squere Enix and Crystal Dynamics. I look forward to the continuation of the series. A new beginning for Lara Croft that doesthe game is just below excellent. Has nothing to do with the previous titles in the series. The graphics are amazing, the gameplay is very good (has improved since the last game). Generally the game left me with a good taste of what can be done in the future from Squere Enix and Crystal Dynamics. I look forward to the continuation of the series. A new beginning for Lara Croft that does justice to one of gaming's most iconic characters(IGN). Expand
  55. Jul 15, 2014
    Lara emerges as a more innocent, beautiful and younger than the previous games and the game's beauty fascinates us, we will able to see Lara's personal changes by the time and it will be in our control.
  56. Mar 26, 2013
    I have never been this pleasantly surprised by a video game before. Unfortunately, this is my first Tomb Raider game, so these aren’t the thoughts of a diehard fan. Therefore, I can’t tell you whether the franchise took a step in the right direction or not. I was personally anticipating Tomb Raider to be a mediocre copy of an Uncharted game, and I don’t think that my inaccuracy has everI have never been this pleasantly surprised by a video game before. Unfortunately, this is my first Tomb Raider game, so these aren’t the thoughts of a diehard fan. Therefore, I can’t tell you whether the franchise took a step in the right direction or not. I was personally anticipating Tomb Raider to be a mediocre copy of an Uncharted game, and I don’t think that my inaccuracy has ever brought me this much happiness. In fact, comparing this with Uncharted is rather silly, because the similarities between the two games end rather quickly. Tomb Raider is its own game with its own unique features. The gameplay is everything I could’ve asked for, and more. You gain XP and purchase skills that are divided into three different branches, or “skill trees”. There are many different ways to gather resources, which allow you to upgrade the 4 weapons Lara finds throughout her journey, each of which have unique advantages in combat. In addition, challenges and collectables are introduced with rewarding incentives, which will encourage you to dive into these fun optional features. While the characters may not have these remarkably appealing personalities, Crystal Dynamics gave us an incredibly strong protagonist. Lara Croft is a clever and tough woman who plays the “hero role” perfectly. Character detail and animations are nearly lifelike and the cut-scenes are cinematically brilliant. So far, many of the releases this year has disappointed me, but Tomb Raider was a friggin’ home run. My game of the year for 2013 may have already arrived. Expand
  57. Mar 18, 2013
    This game contains a lot more action than the previous installments of the series. But at the same time it also contains a fantastic story with a very believable main character. It is not a story about another super hero fighting his way through countless enemies. Lara has feelings and opinions and they are portrayed in a believable way that even surpasses many movies. That surprisingThis game contains a lot more action than the previous installments of the series. But at the same time it also contains a fantastic story with a very believable main character. It is not a story about another super hero fighting his way through countless enemies. Lara has feelings and opinions and they are portrayed in a believable way that even surpasses many movies. That surprising amount of depth makes this one of the rare games these days that take their adult players seriously. This game will certainly have to be a contestant for the game of the year awards. Expand
  58. Mar 6, 2013
    The game is fantastic. I feel really sorry for Lara! I love TR Legend, Anniversary and Underworld and i Love this Lara! It shows her fragile part! I give it a perfect 10!
  59. Mar 30, 2013
    Female character for change? Check. Good quality graphics? Check. Intense mood and story line that makes you want to see what happens next? Check! This game provided me an interesting story, very nice gameplay and plenty of fun to do. Just amazing piece, reminds a lot of Batman series, but in very urban environment. Some people complain about cut scenes. For me, they are in perfect place.Female character for change? Check. Good quality graphics? Check. Intense mood and story line that makes you want to see what happens next? Check! This game provided me an interesting story, very nice gameplay and plenty of fun to do. Just amazing piece, reminds a lot of Batman series, but in very urban environment. Some people complain about cut scenes. For me, they are in perfect place. They carry the story forward. I get a moment from time to time that my character is actually thinking, since Lara Croft keeps talking to herself. This game is solid 9 due to everything included and i can only suggest everyone to try to for yourself. Expand
  60. Sep 18, 2013
    Extremely good game. The story, graphics, gameplay, sound, atmosphere, immersion, it's ALL there. There is even innovation not the gameplay type, but still, innovation, which in my ratings is a prerequisite for a full 10/10 score. This innovation is the use of TressFX, which on my SLI GTX 580s worked well.

So basically, yes this game is somewhat like the Uncharted series, and that is a very GOOD thing. It's still Lara Croft, it's still Tomb Raider, and the types of puzzles we use to see in previous TR games are still to be found, except there's a lot more action, more story, more characters, more immersion, more of all that makes a game good.

Wrexmer is complaining about cut scenes and quick time events. I must say, both of these elements were extremely well done in this game, blending in well with the action and context, they are not disruptive at all. I can imagine some people have an absolute dislike for cut scenes and quicktime events, fine, but if that's not your personal case, then I say, you will love the cutscenes and quicktime events. As a matter of fact, in my opinion, this game has THE VERY BEST quicktime event implementation I have ever seen. So there.

There really is nothing negative I could say about this game. It could have been longer, but only because it is so excellent you can never have too much excellent gaming, right? I clock my playthrough on medium difficulty at 14 hours, which is very decent.

Overall, I cannot say enough good things about this game, it is a SPLENDID release, and for once, fully worth the full retail/launch price of $49.99. I almost feel guilty getting it on special for $12.49. Yes, it's that good.
  61. Dec 26, 2013
    As a big fan of the Series, i was skeptical about the new game, as it goes a totally different way in terms of gameplay, however i was incredibly wrong.

This game made me feel like i was actually in the game, the sound, the level design, the art direction, it is so beautiful, then in comes the actual gameplay, whilst it starts off a bit generic, it soon opens up to be so much more if you are willing to give this game the attention it so does deserve.

The Tombs gave me the nostalgia i crave from the older games, whilst the rest of the game offers a more complete and detailed game.

My favorite part of this titles has to be the character acting, Lara is incredibly well done in this title, and the voice is fantastically done, a real stunner of a game.
  62. Mar 9, 2013
    There are two types of computer gamers out there. There are the people simply called "gamers" who just want to play a great game, with lots of challenge and many things to do. Then there are "computer enthusiasts," the people who want to benchmark their super-expensive, quad graphics card computer until it either slows down to a crawl or burns out from excessive overclocking. I am not hereThere are two types of computer gamers out there. There are the people simply called "gamers" who just want to play a great game, with lots of challenge and many things to do. Then there are "computer enthusiasts," the people who want to benchmark their super-expensive, quad graphics card computer until it either slows down to a crawl or burns out from excessive overclocking. I am not here to preach ,people, but the next couple of words are going to be the basis for a sermon. Maybe you've heard them somewhere before, but today I am going to explain my take on those two words, and I know the latter of you are not going to like this at all. I am not attacking you, or insulting your super expensive 16 core, quad graphics, quad monitor mega rig, I simply want you to see things my way. Those two words are "Graphics Efficiency." There are two definitions. On one hand, it means being able to run very good looking games at very little performance penalty, but also and most importantly, being able to run state of the art graphics with little performance penalty on lower end hardware. There several game engines that lend themselves to graphics efficiency, most famously the Unreal Engine. Gamers love Unreal Engine games because they look so good, but are not obligated to spend their hard earned money on an ubermaschine. They can enjoy Unreal Engine game no problem with what they have, modest computer specs. An example of the opposite would be Crysis 3, which offers an interactive benchmark for your computer to choke on, but little in the Game play or interesting story department (the reason why I will never buy it). Tomb Raider, on the other hand is one of those games that lends itself very well to graphics efficiency. I cannot even believe a game this good looking is even running on my four year old computer, and better yet, it is hitting 60fps. This is one reason it's currently giving me a good impression, but also the gritty survival horror/survival action elements (it even reminds me of Dead Space 2 in some parts), but mostly because it's doing so well running on my computer. This is one reason I love Square Enix games. I played Just Cause 2 to death back in the day, but also Deus Ex HR and Sleeping Dogs, and great graphics on all of these games. The art style in Tomb Raider is amazing. The story is great so farm as Lara interacts with other characters, but also how the environment affects their relationship. This is a linear game yes, but it is closer to the survival horror and action adventure, as opposed to open world, which is what people mostly want these days. IN my honest opinion mostly anyone would be having a decent time with this game, even those with lower to mid-range PCs. Some of you might not be able to max it out I can), but that's why they included a "Normal" settings choice as a last resort. Well done Square Enix. Expand
  63. Jul 12, 2014
    The game could use a stronger character development. The game doesn't have the most epic story line but still good. Aside from this this game is so freaking awesome. I don't know why ANYBODY would give this a red level score. Take this from a guy that has over 200 games and beaten most on steam and gamefly plus played a lot of more games aside from that. I haven't played other TR games soThe game could use a stronger character development. The game doesn't have the most epic story line but still good. Aside from this this game is so freaking awesome. I don't know why ANYBODY would give this a red level score. Take this from a guy that has over 200 games and beaten most on steam and gamefly plus played a lot of more games aside from that. I haven't played other TR games so i can't compare. As a game all together it I've really enjoyed it. I can only think anyone that's given it a bad rep are developers other companies. Expand
  64. JEK
    May 18, 2013
    So funny people try to put down this game when you can see the majority of the votes are positive.
    Well you can't please everybody.
    Well you can't please everybody.
    For me. This is the best tomb raider game I've played. The Graphics and story is fantastic. Never runs out of climatic scenes. The only thing that I noticed, the game is very easy to finish. Too little riddles to solve (unlike it's predecessors). But overall this is a very good game and I recommend this game. It's a little bit of psychological and dark kind of gameplay.
  65. Jun 15, 2014
    此PC版使用的好像是介于上世代主机和次世代主机版本之间的中间版本,沿用了上世代主机的主要模型和材质,加入了次时代主机的部分效果,之所以这么做,我想是因为拿了主机厂商的提成吧?

但是很意外,上世代主机和PC版本的女主角比次世代的更好看! 游戏素质出人意料的优秀啊! 电影化的剧情流程,虽然剧情上小有瑕疵,不过整体上很有感染力。 简单硬派的动作设定:站在不平的地方脚的位置也随地形变化,做出防御动作时没有无敌时间,仍可能会被敌人的远程攻击打中,人物身上的挂件也是会根据重力等外界影响而摆动的。 缺点: QTE机械化。 收集品过多,大大影响游戏进展的流畅性。 武器装备升级过多,其中很多不够明显,升级过程中可能会用上新武器,扔掉旧武器(比如我觉得复合弓比竞赛弓更好看,却被直接替换了。),没有可选余地。

但是很意外,上世代主机和PC版本的女主角比次世代的更好看!

武器装备升级过多,其中很多不够明显,升级过程中可能会用上新武器,扔掉旧武器(比如我觉得复合弓比竞赛弓更好看,却被直接替换了。),没有可选余地。

某些成就过于复杂,一旦错过某个成就,就得重开存档才能完成,因为游戏通关后地图上敌人刷新极少(或许是不刷新了,敌人是一次性的。)。

有通关后的漫游模式,但是意义不大,敌人不怎么刷新了。没有章节或关卡分隔系统,一旦过关就不能选择重玩某一部分。
  66. Sep 13, 2013
    This game evolved Lara Croft in a way I never imagined. gone are the big boobs and ass but in its place Is something much more mature and intriguing. In a world where developers are dumbing down games for the average casual gamer, crystal dynamics have gone above and beyond and its really paid off...big time! congratulations on a truly epic game!
  67. Mar 29, 2013
    Tomb Raider is great. Here's a quick rundown of all the things that make it great in my opinion: 1. Camilla Luddington feels appropriately vulnerable in parts of the story and bad-ass in others, and was a great casting choice. The acting in general, is great (though there's only 3 guys doing the voices for basic enemies, which is nowhere near enough).
    2. The bow and the ice axe feel
    2. The bow and the ice axe feel appropriately weighty and all the weapons deliver satisfying kills/executions. 3. Controls are absolutely fantastic (very responsive). The cover system is simple and very effective overall (no button presses necessary, just get close to it).
    4. If you've got a high level graphics card you'll be in love with the visuals. 5. The level design is fantastic, there are multiple ways around (at least in the bigger areas) and plenty of secrets to be found. 6. I really loved the UI, which was simple and effective (not quite Dead Space level UI but still great) Cons:
    1.The tombs are fun but there aren't enough of them, and they're all quite easy
    2. Game will force you to fight certain enemies for setpiece moments (like Uncharted), instead of being given the option to sneak around (this is relatively rare though) 3. the survival instinct button is basically like detective vision in arkham asylum and not necessary imo.

Single Player is the only reason to play this, although multiplayer is fun if you can actually find people to play with.
  68. Mar 6, 2013
    Quite surprised how good this game to be turned out to be, easily one of the best action-adventure games in years. Very fluid gameplay, top line graphics and action filled engaging story. This is one of very few games where QTEs aren't too annoying and actually play a good part during action scenes. Gameplay is a good mix of stealth and firefights, the AI isn't too great but that is prettyQuite surprised how good this game to be turned out to be, easily one of the best action-adventure games in years. Very fluid gameplay, top line graphics and action filled engaging story. This is one of very few games where QTEs aren't too annoying and actually play a good part during action scenes. Gameplay is a good mix of stealth and firefights, the AI isn't too great but that is pretty common these days. Story is a great twist on typical Tomb Raider adventure, people who like the concept of the Lost show will love it. Expand
  69. Jul 28, 2013
    I've played many tomb raider games over the years. I've enjoyed the puzzles, and play. I didn't know what to really expect for play other than what I saw from the videos of this Tomb Raider. As I got into playing it, it's THE best tomb raider game to date. Great animations, great camera, music, voice acting and story. They kept in the puzzle solving, moving it nicely into today'sI've played many tomb raider games over the years. I've enjoyed the puzzles, and play. I didn't know what to really expect for play other than what I saw from the videos of this Tomb Raider. As I got into playing it, it's THE best tomb raider game to date. Great animations, great camera, music, voice acting and story. They kept in the puzzle solving, moving it nicely into today's environments and play. I STRONGLY suggest if you haven't played this game, do. You won't be disappointed. Expand
  70. Jun 21, 2013
    A reboot that's done right. It's an emotional experience that has already taught me some lessons through this heroic tale of a brave, young woman. It's gore is a little too over-done for my personal tastes and the game doesn't go quite smoothly especially at the Quick Time Events. The controls are excellent though but you still might want to use a controller.
  71. Jul 3, 2013
    Thanks Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix for this. Amazing pc version with stunning directx 11 and good optimization. Ambient and voice actors are amazing. Played this for 6 hours, story and that island are really interesting. Lara is so nice of course. Happy to play such games.
  72. Nov 8, 2013
    This is the Tomb Raider that fans expected to see.The extraordinary graphics and the wonderful,intense and captivating gameplay are just a part of the features which makes this thing "A must buy game".
  73. Apr 8, 2014
    This game was surprisingly awesome. I never played any of the previous games and really had no intention to but this one was available for free as a member of Playstation Plus so figured I would give it shot. This best comparison point would be the Uncharted series (which I love) and I think this game was highly influenced by those titles but they pulled it off pretty well. There areThis game was surprisingly awesome. I never played any of the previous games and really had no intention to but this one was available for free as a member of Playstation Plus so figured I would give it shot. This best comparison point would be the Uncharted series (which I love) and I think this game was highly influenced by those titles but they pulled it off pretty well. There are some mind blowing action sequences on par with the best of those in Uncharted.

The environments are beautifully rendered and definitely one of the most enjoyable aspects of the game - the island is just super fun to explore and there are plenty of extras to find. There are some role playing elements to the game and I felt that the skill system worked pretty well and most of the choices were actually useful or just plain cool to see in action.

The story was engrossing but the character dialogue and voice acting seemed a little off (at least compared to Naughty Dog games) but it's still probably better than average. The one thing that seemed a little flat in this game was the combat - it gets a little boring at times and was too repetitive. The emphasis was clearly on other aspects of the game and I wouldn't call this a hardcore shooter so that's understandable.
  74. oso
    Mar 24, 2013
    Excellent game, had about 13 hours of gameplay to finish it. What i especially like is the gamedesign. It looks way more mature compared to previous TR titles. It is also a perfect example of how to do a console portation the right way. Graphics are really good, gameplay perfectly adopted to mouse&keyboard and i have encountered absolutely no bugs at all.
    What i would like to see in near
    What i would like to see in near future is some free downloadable content. Atm there is just nothing to do after finishing the game. Didnt try the multiplayer so far.
  75. Mar 13, 2013
    Great game. With the exception of the quick time events this game has everything I want out of a Tomb Raider game. Although it's linear there is plenty to explore, and you never really get that feeling that you're being shoved down a corridor.

The puzzles are brilliant, on par with what you'd expect from Valve or a Half-Life game. They're not outlandish either, nor are they overly simple puzzles a 5 year old could do. They make you sit there and think.

The game has a high level of polish when it comes to environments and just about everything. Tomb Raider again shows other developers where the goddamn bar should be when it comes to this. I never once found a shoddy blurry ass texture, or a bad model. The character models are well done, shapely and are well proportioned for the most part. I can't praise this enough, it does not feel like it was rushed out the door at all like so many games do. The artists took their time and it payed off hugely in my opinion.

All character models are done to a high level of quality, even ones that are only in the game for a handful of scenes like the pilot. Half assed wankers like Gearbox would make the pilot a low poly, low res textured series of boxes. They go full out here modelling the uniform, helmet, everything it's incredible really. Including the planes.

The animation is above anything else I have seen in a long time. The animation in this game is on a par with Avatar or a Pixar movie in terms of being fluid. Everything is smooth and clean. There are no wooden characters like Fallout 3, or moments when you think 'oh right I'm playing a videogame'.

This game is what you put down 50 beans for, it is where the bar should be for video games.

This game makes Far Cry 3 look like a joke in my opinion. It does just about everything better and adds characters that you give a about. It's just not an FPS

The lack of any poor textures/****ty meshes is just such a refreshing change.

The game would be close to perfection if it wasn't for the quick time events.

Industry more of this please. I'll be honest I usually end up hating most games put out these days but this one really brought me back to when gaming was more than just running down a corridor in Call of Duty, or playing some generic shooter RPG with hurr durr memes like Borderlands 2.

The survivor element to the story was done perfectly, it didn't hold off on the broken bones, and harsh survival aspect of it which is perfect. Lara is convincingly terrified along with her friends and again the level of polish makes the difference in pulling you into the game.

If you're thinking of buying this, do so. It's a good length and I promise you will enjoy some aspect of it unless you're the typical CoD shooter fan who can't follow basic instruction. In which case you probably stopped reading this due to your ADD about a few hundred words back.

The industry needs more games like this where developers don't half ass it. There's a high level of polish and dedication to giving the gamer a full bodied experience that isn't broken half way through by lego-like meshes, textures that are 50 x 50 in terms of resolution, or hammy as dialogue.

Talent worked on this game and it's clear to see that.

If you're the type of gamer that pours over details or likes to stop and smell the roses, you'll like this. If you're not into that, stop playing video games. Just stop trying in general because you're not interested in experiencing anything beyond what you already know.

This game has honestly reminded me where video games should be but aren't. There's originality in this, there's something in there for people who want some nostalgia, shooting, exploration, an xp system, and one doesn't compromise the other.

Tomb Raider makes RE6, Ass Creed, and nigh on hundreds of others look like the dog**** they are.

The story isn't perfect I'll concede that, but by today's standards it's on par with Dickens nearly.

More.. please..
  76. May 28, 2014
    This is one of my all time favorite games. I feel like replaying it over and over again. You must buy it and play it you are missing out if you don't!
  77. Mar 7, 2013
    In short, Tomb Raider provides an amazing adventure and a wonderful experience. It intermixes and balances very well exploration, action, combat and story, alternating between those just with the right frequency so you’ll never grow weary of any one of them in particular. And each of them is not just superficial: they’re deep enough and enjoyable. Throughout the game you’ll see Lara’sIn short, Tomb Raider provides an amazing adventure and a wonderful experience. It intermixes and balances very well exploration, action, combat and story, alternating between those just with the right frequency so you’ll never grow weary of any one of them in particular. And each of them is not just superficial: they’re deep enough and enjoyable. Throughout the game you’ll see Lara’s character develop and build, and you will witness and experience her becoming what you know from the past games. It’s her origin story, and after finishing it you’ll feel she is reborn. I’ll go into more detail. The environments are beautifully realistic and atmospheric making the exploration very immersive. The visual presentation is stunning with various downright jaw dropping and/or even “magical” settings. There’s a lot of diversity in the locations, they’re not repetitive. Also, they are very well interwoven with the story and the “culture(s)” present in the island, with lots of personality. The weather and time of day keeps changing making it a joy to watch and also provides encouragement to revisit locations. I didn’t find the main path of the game too linear; there are lots of open spaces off that path you can explore. You’ll encounter the optional Tombs there. The puzzles you’ll encounter are mainly on them and aren’t that long or complex, so you’ll not be frustrated or bored, but have just the amount of challenge to make you pause and think. The pacing of the game and the unraveling of the story is just masterful. The way the scale evolves is very pleasing and exciting. Lara begins inexperienced, with limited capabilities and very scared, trying desperately to be reunited with her colleagues. You feel her vulnerability and desperation in face of the extreme circumstances she’s in and only with the support and encouragement of the expedition’s captain is she able to build up courage and confidence, thus progressively gaining new skills and determination. The level up system used for this is superbly designed, as the experience gained allows Lara to develop new skills that not only increase the gameplay possibilities but also develop and define Lara as a character. It’s exhilarating to witness and feel Lara’s growth in skills, confidence and determination. And you are growing along with her in your skill within the game. It truly made me feel like I was living the adventure. One detail I loved is that Lara sometimes “talks to herself” as she progresses in the environments. She often will be thinking out loud about how she can get where she needs or do what she must or comment on the history on documents and relics she finds, providing insightful information. In the action sequences she will also react to what’s going on with screams, groans of pain, etc. All this made the game more personal and involving. I found the combat to be very enjoyable and diverse, with just the right difficulty as to be tense without being frustrating. Sometimes you’ll have the option of using stealth, which is preferable particularly in the beginning where you’re not that powerful. In regular combat the enemies try to take cover and to flush you out of cover with grenades or molotovs. If you camp a little some will also try to use suppressive fire wire others try to get close. When that happens, the melee combat with its dodge-counter mechanics makes things feel very up close. I had no complaints about the AI. One remark that could be made is that Lara maybe gets a little too powerful, taking down various groups of enemies when she’s so young. Still, she never feels overly “Rambo” or “arcade”, and as the combat is so enjoyable it’s easy to “forgive” this. And nevertheless you’ll die sometimes and are thus always reminded of the imminent danger: some death animations are just brutal and make you really feel them. The ending was epic and memorable without being insanely over the top as to make it unbelievable. To finish, being a fan of Tomb Raider since the first game I had very high expectations and was very pleased to be impressed. Personally, I would have preferred if there were a little more Tombs and them being a little longer, but as the game is so well balanced and crafted I’m more than satisfied. Expand
  78. Jul 23, 2013
    This game is like nothing I've ever played. The cinematography was so great I felt like I was in a movie, yet I never felt like I wasn't in control of the action at all times. The story was compelling, full of action and suspense, contrasted by the perfect amount of stealth and exploration scenes. I suspect that it will have limited replay value, but I don't mind. Having never played aThis game is like nothing I've ever played. The cinematography was so great I felt like I was in a movie, yet I never felt like I wasn't in control of the action at all times. The story was compelling, full of action and suspense, contrasted by the perfect amount of stealth and exploration scenes. I suspect that it will have limited replay value, but I don't mind. Having never played a Tomb Raider title before, I know for a fact that this stands on its own, but I strongly suspect it serves its function as a prequel equally well.

I can't possibly imagine why anyone would rate this game poorly. There are a few "Quick Time Events" as others seem to be calling them, but I felt like they were a good contrast to the normal frenzied firefights and exploration while still making me feel in control of what was going on.
  79. Mar 22, 2013
    This is the best game out in 2013 so far, graphics, story, combat, sound everything is AAA quality and the new TressFx was just lovely and i didn't have any performance issues(on ultra settings-on a amd build pc). I went all out woke up in the morning and i just couldn't leave until the game finished.
  80. Mar 5, 2013
    It is a very good game with likable characters in game like sam or new tomb. I have console version and pc if you have nvidia card mine is 550 ti) you can get high settings and good frame rate when turning of tessellation,high precise, normal for ssao and depth of field. Overal you should buy Tomb raider on both platform
  81. Apr 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An open world Uncharted. That alone is epic enough to make the game awesome. Excellent combat and excellent method of exploration where you can climb like in Uncharted, this game is especially a must buy for those who haven't play Uncharted yet because they don't have a PS3. One problem with the game though, the stupid cliches in this game is too much. Like you know the part in a movie where there's a guy trying to protect a girl from bandits by shooting at them and he ran out of bullets, and then this one guy attacks the guy's back and he's injured, only to take out a second pistol and shoot the guy? Yeah, pretty stupid. Most of the main casts in this game can still be alive if this stupid kind of cliche didn't happen, and the plot is pretty much predictable from the get go. Why is this person kidnapped you ask? Well there's 10+ journals in game that explains why, and yet Lara figures it out at the end of the game. Aside from the cliched plot though, the game itself is excellent. A must buy. Expand
  82. Oct 2, 2013
    I really enjoy this game. The exploration and battle are attractive. Some guys say the QTEs are annoying but that's not true. They are not that many and are easy to pass since you have plenty of time to react. I only find the battle could be more challenging.
  83. Jul 23, 2014
    Will start from the beginning...
    Will start from the beginning...
    First of all I tried many TR game before, but none of them interested me, I mean they was not my style, genre games, so wasn't expect that will like this game too. But I purchased it (one good man recomended it to me) and after finishing some chapters/missions I noticed that game takes me in and takes me deep inside, yes exactly. First time I played female character and feel myself as a main character, every thing around is taking you deep in to its world, cutscenes that synchronously moving in action and vice versa are making you part of all the actions inside, like you are in movie, like you are part of the movie, very beautiful and atmospheric world around you that smoothly changes from peaceful right up to the horror, makes realistic and deep feelings, every thing there is hostile but beautifully calming, whole world is against you here. Didn't expect see so many genre in so harmonious union with each other - Atmospheric, Adventure, Puzzle, Quest, Action, Stealth, Horror, H&S, Survival all with some kind of RPG elements spanning you in after every moment. Game is very active for what I was expecting from Tomb Raider game.
    For me TR becomes one of the best games that I ever played before, I didn't expect so deep and fun gameplay, but one negative thing that I didn't like in, is that game is way too easy for hard mode, but it have its good part too - you can relax and enjoy its deep, interesting and fun gameplay. (It's more like Movie for me more than Game, but anyway as I say before "it's one of the best games I ever played" or "movie I ever watched" ..? Shortly, who cares, it's great so don't miss it).
    Game for me is 10/10, really big + to Developers.
    Also can say that game have quite good optimization, also looks great on tweaked settings.
    One more interesting thing that I find here was Multiplayer very fun, dynamic and action, but sometimes it have a little problems in finding matches, but more often match starts in 20 sec.
    So worth it, game is really Great-Super-Amazing...
    Thank you for reading and sorry for my bad English.
  84. May 14, 2013
    Great graphics (especially for a port) and engaging gameplay. The campaign is memorable but the multiplayer is more-of-the-same. In any case, it's worth every penny for the campaign alone (I played it 3 times, 40h+ in total). You shouldn't pass 2 thumbs up!
  85. Mar 10, 2013
    This game is easily a masterpiece. They very carefully created every single detail in it. You can see the love the developers handled the genre. The graphics are beautiful, the artworks you unlock are simply gorgeous, the animation is realistic and fluent. The theme is very dark and I guess it was a nice way to go though it maybe just my personal preference. I really can't think ofThis game is easily a masterpiece. They very carefully created every single detail in it. You can see the love the developers handled the genre. The graphics are beautiful, the artworks you unlock are simply gorgeous, the animation is realistic and fluent. The theme is very dark and I guess it was a nice way to go though it maybe just my personal preference. I really can't think of anything negative literally. The gameplay is simple and fun. The story is enjoyable. Some people mentioned the characters are quite one dimensional and I quite agree, but then again the focus characters are well done (the transition of Lara is really well put together imo). I wanted to wait a little until it's price drops a little (because it isn't cheap), but I didn't regret buying it at all. The gaming scene could use more detailed and mature games like this. Expand
  86. Mar 9, 2013
    The main reason I like the game is because the story is intriguing. You want to keep playing only because you want to find out what happens later. The action feels good, but a little too easy. The puzzles are fun, but again a little too easy. The world/ scenery is vibrant and beautiful, you get a real sense of discovery in this game. Many areas have lots of places to explore to find hiddenThe main reason I like the game is because the story is intriguing. You want to keep playing only because you want to find out what happens later. The action feels good, but a little too easy. The puzzles are fun, but again a little too easy. The world/ scenery is vibrant and beautiful, you get a real sense of discovery in this game. Many areas have lots of places to explore to find hidden items/tombs. Two complaints: 1. I've encountered way too many glitches, mainly clipping and going through walls. Nothing game breaking, just annoying. 2. Single player is way too short. Wanted to explore more at the end. Two minor complaints: 1. Character progression is linear. You get all the skills at the end, so there's no point on giving players the option to choose. 2. If you want to collect everything then you need to backtrack once you get the proper item to enter the area. Graphics 10/10 Beautiful game.
    Sound 8/10 Audio is fine. I gave it a 8 only because Lara's voice actor wasn't that convincing. Presentation 10/10 Blockbuster movie like presentation.
    Story 10/10 Interesting story.
    Gameplay 8/10 Good fun. Cover system is simple, but efficient. Lots of crazy action scenes(I think Lara is superwoman). Deaths are fun! Different death scenes for different situations just like Dead Space. I believe this is the start of a great Tomb Raider series. A good fresh game like this revives a franchise from the ashes. It reminds me of Batman: Arkham City; that was the first great Batman game of the next-gen era. Before Arkham city Batman was synonyms with terrible games. But now their image has changed just like Tomb Raider. High quality game everyone should try and I look forward to playing future Tomb Raider games.
  87. Apr 28, 2013
    Great platforming and action sequences and an ok story. Very polished game, pc version has some of the best graphics to date. Took a point off for some annoying overuse of quick time events and some awkward cutscenes of lara getting beaten up too frequently
  88. May 8, 2013
    I immensely enjoyed this game. The environment of Yamatai Island is fantastic and memorable, a rather scary mix of ancient Japanese and hideous scrap metal graveyards. Gameplay, both combat and traversal is also pretty damn good.

Far me though, the real star of the game was indeed Lara. She does suffer from a bit of the narrative disconnect between her not wanting to kill and her killing LOTS of bad guys, but more importantly she was quite possibly the most relatable action protagonist I've played. She successfully walks the fine line between fear and courage, meaning that she puts plenty of emotion into her actions without coming off as being whiny or a crybaby. And towards the end, you do get a great sense of her becoming a real badass.

There are a few flaws as always though. I would have preferred there to be more challenging puzzles. And the supporting cast, well certainly not annoying at all, is not fairly interesting.

With all this in mind, Lara Craft is back. And she's more alive than ever.
  89. May 4, 2013
    This game is absolutely amazing! This is a proper way to give a back-story to one of the most iconic characters of video industry. I guarantee you, that by the time you finish Tomb Raider, you will fall in love with Lara Croft (and if you are a gamer who actually remembers the first game, you will realize that you missed her). The graphics, and camera work are STUNNING! The key moments areThis game is absolutely amazing! This is a proper way to give a back-story to one of the most iconic characters of video industry. I guarantee you, that by the time you finish Tomb Raider, you will fall in love with Lara Croft (and if you are a gamer who actually remembers the first game, you will realize that you missed her). The graphics, and camera work are STUNNING! The key moments are ALWAYS presented in a jaw-dropping way. The combat feels great and natural, with just the right amount of toys to play with. The platform elements are a cool reminder, that this is still Tomb Raider, in its essence. I do not agree with some complains, that I've seen. I don't think the game is too easy. And too many cutscenes? They are not intrusive, and feel like a reward, not a nuisance. In fact, they make you feel like a hero. To sum up, TR franchise couldn't have asked for a better reboot, and I would place this entry on par with the first (and, in my memories, the best) game of the series. GOTY so far. Expand
  90. Mar 6, 2013
    I enjoyed this game immensely. I am a long time Tomb Raider fan and I thought this game was a well needed breath of fresh air. I think Lara has earned back her treasure hunting crown from Nathan Drake (not bashing uncharted, love those games too) as there is plenty to see and explore in Tomb Raider, even after the story ends. Looks amazing on PC, excellent port by nixxes.
  91. Mar 22, 2013
    This game has a lot of positives, and very little negatives. Stunning visuals, great sound/voice acting, intense story and gameplay that will leave you incredibly satisfied with your purchase. One thing that stands out in my opinion is the level design. The way the game directs you, leaves you options and controls your reactions to certain situations is just amazing. I think that is greatThis game has a lot of positives, and very little negatives. Stunning visuals, great sound/voice acting, intense story and gameplay that will leave you incredibly satisfied with your purchase. One thing that stands out in my opinion is the level design. The way the game directs you, leaves you options and controls your reactions to certain situations is just amazing. I think that is great considering many people worried about this game looking to action/adventure shoot-em-up than the creative level-designs from the previous games. I'm glad to say that everything is balanced fantastically, and just the right amount of optional completion. There are a few problems with the PC drivers, but a couple of patches later fix this almost fully. The aging consoles bring this game down too much and with my rig running this on ultimate setting at a comfortable 60fps it's hard to say that you should play it on anything else. The PC version is the way to go and even the keyboard and mouse feel more comfortable than the controller.

92. May 7, 2013
    Incredible. Possibly a game of the century. Lara Croft has proven herself what she can really do. The puzzles, dialog, gaming, entertainment, graphics-basically everything-of this game are unforgettable. This people have actually been so specific-if you listen closely, you can hear Lara's footsteps and the sound that they make on different floors,and the water dripping down on caves.Incredible. Possibly a game of the century. Lara Croft has proven herself what she can really do. The puzzles, dialog, gaming, entertainment, graphics-basically everything-of this game are unforgettable. This people have actually been so specific-if you listen closely, you can hear Lara's footsteps and the sound that they make on different floors,and the water dripping down on caves. Anyways.... You'll be really wise to get this game-even if it is for a day. Expand
  93. Mar 15, 2013
    Welcome back Tomb Raider, it looks amazing and the story is really good. Ever expanding no doubt with DLC but will be worth it. They have put a lot of effort into the game and it shows, a very fun and expansive story.
  94. Aug 11, 2013
    Great PC port and great game. It's basically a reboot and even being a fan of the series, thought this was much, much better than it's predecessors. This is quite a feat to achieve in itself and it's very rare that games actually do this but they do sometimes.

The trailers and early gameplay is shameful. It appears as though this is a linear game and very heavy on QTE's. While this

While this is true for the first part of the game (~1 hour) this is done to great effect and since this is a reboot, allows for the development of the character. You truly see Lara shine even her voice actor's better than the last.

Now I don't generally like reboots but I can see taking the franchise in a different direction was actually the best idea anyone could roll with. This is a more dark (not "dark knight" dark but more serious in tone and for the first time A TOMB RAIDER GAME WITH BLOOD AND BRUTAL DEATH SCENES).

It's more of an RPG and campfires help to serve as Hubs which you can explore and look for caves or "tombs", upgrade your character with a similar system of killing animals for XP (like Far Cry 3) and travel to other parts of the world. The game's huge and the campaign is ~20 hours, and then you can free roam. The only DLC I'd recommend is getting a few of the SINGLEPLAYER skins, MP map pack(s) and the tomb dlc. The others can be either earned in the game (skills) or are not that great.

The game's music is surprisingly good and easily beats the last. There's a lot of drama and it's quite gripping. The graphics are sensational and it's ported by Nixxes (the same guys that did Hitman: Absolution and made the Deus Ex: Human Revolution ports). Extensive graphics options, lots of tweaking and PC friendly controls. Although there are button prompts, this game immerses you so well there's nothing to really flaw.

Well actually, there is. The voice actors while Lara and her enemies are great, the rest of her crew isn't quite "there" yet. They don't sound mediocre but they don't sound great either. They've got some accents and for the most part they're fine. You still care about them but all the same when you hear Lara's voice you're like... why can't the others have voices on the same level?

There's tons of bonuses and I really liked upgrading my character. Lots of these upgrades were useful and tricks you learned. You really feel like you're playing with an inexperienced Lara. They've changed the story but again, better. She's still English but the Croft Manor and such isn't here. Nor are there vehicles to drive lol. This doesn't matter this game is easily the pinnacle and the top of the Tomb Raider franchise. Fans and non-fans will get appealed, and no fan can deny how great this game is. They don't sexualise her either and the game tends to be mature (most of the time). Still most players will look at her butt most of the time as she's crawling or climbing. Speaking of which all the movements are motion capped (like the last game Underworld) and again helps with the immersion.

In some respects it's similar to Uncharted but it's still distinctly a Tomb Raider game. In some ways, it's better than Uncharted and if you never got to play Uncharted or wanted to (due to not having a PS3 or access) this game will do the job. It's slick, accessible and incredibly fun to play all while holding the Tomb Raider name high and making great efforts to be a cinematic adventure.

The cinematics aren't too long or boring and they're frequent at the beginning, they help to explain a lot as well as build up the rest of the game. Combat's revamped too and while it can be repetitive at the beginning if you don't do main missions and stick to side-quests... the new tricks and vast amount of unlocks, serve to make combat that comes later less harder than it appears to be and far more fun to dish out finishers and sneak around. There's different play styles too and you're rewarded as such. It felt like Batman: Arkham Asylum at times, which is not a bad thing and they integrated cover really well. The focus is on exploring but combat doesn't feel as cheapily tacked on as past games and it's far better for this 3rd person... type of game.
  95. Sep 15, 2013
    Why you should get this game"
    -Gorgeous scenery and graphics
    -Combat system is fun and dynamic -Cutscenes are not NEARLY as bad as reviewers are saying, really adds to the storyline and overall feel -Tomb raiding and puzzles are challenging and rewarding -Pulls you into the game (something that is VERY rare for me) Why you shouldn't buy the game: -Skill and crafting system is
    Why you should get this game"
    -Gorgeous scenery and graphics
    -Combat system is fun and dynamic
    -Tomb raiding and puzzles are challenging and rewarding
    -Pulls you into the game (something that is VERY rare for me)

Why you shouldn't buy the game:
    -Skill and crafting system is limited(ish)
    -Little stealth abilities (usually enemies already know you're there)

Conclusion:
    Buy it, buy it, buy it! Fun, enthralling storyline and gameplay. Worth your money.
  96. May 2, 2013
    Could have been a better game without the awful QTEs and the out-of-place regenerative health system. But the great plot, breath-taking scenarios, and the outstanding acting of Camilla Luddington can make this game worth your money.
  97. Jul 4, 2013
    this game is great. it has a very gripping story about lara and her orgins. i never played a tomb raider game but i highly recommend this game. if u games like arkham asylam and uncharted. you will love this one.
  98. Mar 8, 2013
    I hate QTE games and "interactive movies". Games like far cry or assassins creed filled with cutscenes all time and with very low gameplay difficulty really piss me off and bore very fast. But this game is so well done that it made possible to me to enjoy this kind of gameplay. The story is very good, the gameplay is entertaining and always interesting.

Also, as pc user it has to be

Also, as pc user it has to be noted that it is the best conversion I've ever saw. I have an old acer laptop with just a 540M but still I'm able to play at normal-high settings with incredible graphics and very smooth.

The cons are the stupid perk system and the story, it is a bit short. I do recommend you to not skip the puzzle and secondary quests, they are very nice and "old tomb raider" style.
  99. Apr 6, 2013
    Awesome game and plots. Real challenges. Love the gameplay and graphics and found that I soon got very immersed in the game and really felt I was being hunted. My Game of the year. Beats Bioshock Infinite hands down and is the quality of Far Cry 3. This is a game worth the money whatever you pay for it.
  100. Jul 16, 2013
    The reviews stating that this game doesn't have the same "feel' as the previous TR games are all correct. This game is much more visceral, open, 'realistic' and has vastly better voice/character acting. There were some scenes that brought me nearly to tears they were so incredible.
    Stellar graphics, game play mechanics, level design, AI and story.
    This game has earned a very rare 10/10
    Stellar graphics, game play mechanics, level design, AI and story.
    This game has earned a very rare 10/10 from me.
    If you just simply hate cut scenes, you may take 2 points off of this score, it's ok by me.
  101. Oct 27, 2013

1. Jun 10, 2013
    The new incarnation of the iconic Lara Craft might very well be one of the best games out there right now. [April 2013]
  2. Mar 30, 2013
    Everything you could want from an archeological adventure, except having to press six keys to mantle. [Apr 2013, p.80]
  3. Mar 19, 2013
    While not every promising idea Tomb Raider has is pulled off successfully, it nevertheless turns in a tense and memorable ride that combines modern game design with its forebears’ adventurous spirit in some exciting ways. Some of its missteps may well come at the cost of your enjoyment, but most can’t hope to hurt the adventure in the long run. Although it never fully finds its identity, this is a game and a story worth seeing through.