Tomb Raider PC

8.5

1. Mar 6, 2013
    Quite surprised how good this game to be turned out to be, easily one of the best action-adventure games in years. Very fluid gameplay, top line graphics and action filled engaging story. This is one of very few games where QTEs aren't too annoying and actually play a good part during action scenes. Gameplay is a good mix of stealth and firefights, the AI isn't too great but that is prettyQuite surprised how good this game to be turned out to be, easily one of the best action-adventure games in years. Very fluid gameplay, top line graphics and action filled engaging story. This is one of very few games where QTEs aren't too annoying and actually play a good part during action scenes. Gameplay is a good mix of stealth and firefights, the AI isn't too great but that is pretty common these days. Story is a great twist on typical Tomb Raider adventure, people who like the concept of the Lost show will love it. Expand
  2. Mar 6, 2013
    As far as a 3rd person action/adventure game goes this is very good, as far as a Tomb raider game goes it's not too bad but it could be a lot better. From the perspective of a reboot from a great series this is certainly a nice breath of fresh air and there is a lot great things that has been put into this game: The environments and visuals are some of the best I've seen in a 3rd personAs far as a 3rd person action/adventure game goes this is very good, as far as a Tomb raider game goes it's not too bad but it could be a lot better. From the perspective of a reboot from a great series this is certainly a nice breath of fresh air and there is a lot great things that has been put into this game: The environments and visuals are some of the best I've seen in a 3rd person game let a lone an action game for current generation technology. The combat system and mechanics are a joy to play and are free flowing and easy to control, the AI is pretty smart and react accordingly to their surroundings, character development is actually quite good considering a lot of people are saying they're 2 dimensional it's still a good story/plot all in all. These are some of the great things this game ha to offer. However I do feel that this game is missing something, it's missing the Indianna Jones style tomb/booby traps explorations we all grew to love in a Tomb Raider game. Don't get me wrong this game has tombs, it has exploration but it just doesn't quite feel the same and that brings me back to my point as a 3rd person action/adventure game this concept would be fine but as it's Tomb Raider I really crave this and that's why I will give Crystal Dynamics the benefit of the doubt and hope they add these important features for any forthcoming sequels. All in all a decent game and deserves a respectable score, however if you're looking for the true Tomb Raider feel you may be left slightly dissapointed. Expand
  3. Mar 5, 2013
    This is one of those games where you get so involved with the character and with the visuals surrounding it. The story line is amazing the sound effect are awesome. The multiplayer is even not that bad I actually enjoyed playing a litle bit of it. I think this is one of my favorite so far this year.
  4. Mar 5, 2013
    This game is just insanely good. I was thinking it was just a hype, like Far Cry 3, Skyrim (that I thought a little tedious), but no, this game is just the top 5 best games in this generations (PS3, Xbox360, PC), that soon the generation is over. Awesome graphics, awesome dinamic, and I think the best was the sound, that was marvelous. People that are giving yellow scores is theThis game is just insanely good. I was thinking it was just a hype, like Far Cry 3, Skyrim (that I thought a little tedious), but no, this game is just the top 5 best games in this generations (PS3, Xbox360, PC), that soon the generation is over. Awesome graphics, awesome dinamic, and I think the best was the sound, that was marvelous. People that are giving yellow scores is the "Uncharted" fans. Altought I have to say I love Uncharted series, there's no match to Lara Croft and this games just raised the bars that Uncharted brought. They're just jealous. At some points I got goosebumps playing the game. Well, if you have any doubt, don't waste your time, play this game now. There's no way you can regret. Expand
  5. Mar 5, 2013
    Amazing pc version with stunning directx 11 and good optimization. Ambient and voice actors are amazing. Played this for 3 hours, story and that island are really interesting. Lara is so nice of course. Happy to play such games. Thanks Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix for this.
  6. Mar 6, 2013
    Excellent gameplay, solid plot, and wonderful graphics. For a modern day 3rd person shooter it is awesome. Deeper than Uncharted, multiple routes to take through quests, and a level up system similar to Far Cry. It is a combo game that doesn't fail in anyway except for the lack of puzzles. Add some serious Tomb Raider puzzles and this may have been the best in the series. As it is, I'm onExcellent gameplay, solid plot, and wonderful graphics. For a modern day 3rd person shooter it is awesome. Deeper than Uncharted, multiple routes to take through quests, and a level up system similar to Far Cry. It is a combo game that doesn't fail in anyway except for the lack of puzzles. Add some serious Tomb Raider puzzles and this may have been the best in the series. As it is, I'm on a second playthrough already. They did a great job of making you feel that no matter how skilled you play the game, Lara may not actually succeed at her goals. Pros:
    TressFX hair.
    The island is the star.
    Great pacing to the story and to Lara's development as a character.
    Nice job of making the player feel that they may not succeed at their mission until the last second. Cons:
    Massive performance drop with TressFX hair on (don't use this on anything but a top Intel chip processor and AMD 6970+ or NVIDIA GFX 660ti card, it killed every other set up I used).
    No puzzles (well they exist, but are short and very easy).
    Water could be better and Lara can't swim.
    Freedom of movement around the island comes very late in the story at which point you don't care about exploring any more. PC controls are not as smooth as the controller, again making the PC feel like an afterthought. Many people complain of crashes, but I had a smooth experience. Final Judgment:
    It is worth the $50 only if you like replaying games. It is short and a one time play for people only interested in the story. My first playthrough was about 8 hours and I completed 84% of the collectibles and challenges. Maybe a 6 hour game if you plow through the story.
  7. Mar 5, 2013
    I don't often write reviews but... wow. I Am absolutely blown away, I didn't expect anything from this game. I enjoyed the old games, (1,2, Angel of darkness, underworld) but this one just blew me away, the intro was great and it kept me going, the adrenaline doesn't stop and the action just keeps coming, I even feel bad for Lara after everything she goes through.

The graphics are

The graphics are sensational (I'm running a gtx680), the hair effects look amazing most of the time, but they have their glitches and screw ups (like the effects disappearing for a second and her hair looking bland during intense cut scenes, it could be a driver thing or something they could patch). As mentioned the story is thrilling and keeps you wanting more, the side quests are worthwhile and brings back old Lara memories. The gameplay is solid, the free running reminds me of assassins creed mixed with old school lara. The bow is great, the guns can feel a bit clunky at times but still suits fine considering she wouldn't be a gun expert. Point blank confrontations with enemies are awkward at first but goes nicely with the story, but once you adapt and learn abilities it works out great and flows greatly.

Overall a true underdog for me and a very nice recreation of Lara. Good job crystal.
  8. Mar 5, 2013
    This Tomb Raider is a mature adult-oriented version and better for it. The storyline evolves as you play the game and you really feel for Lara's struggles as she battles through the islands lush locations.

The gameplay has depth and combat has a visceral feel. The controls are simple and do not get in the way of the action or story. The graphics and sound are state-of-the-art and rival anything seen and heard in other games released in the last year. Do yourself a favor and upgrade your computer. The Ultimate graphics setting is absolutely beautiful.

The UI is excellent and highly polished and most importantly functional. The new collection and achievement systems encourage you to explore the island. They also have the added advantage of giving you experience and items which in turn can be used to add skills and upgrade weapons.

A definite Game Of The Year contender.
  9. Mar 5, 2013
    Three hours in. Fantastic game so far. Great PC port, for those worried over that aspect of the game. Using latest 314 drivers, my nvidia card does the hair tesselation very well, so you definitely do not need a radeon to get that benefit of the PC port. Controls are very fluid and smooth with a keyboard/mouse. Some people hate QTEs, so if you hate 'em, too bad. This game has them. I thinkThree hours in. Fantastic game so far. Great PC port, for those worried over that aspect of the game. Using latest 314 drivers, my nvidia card does the hair tesselation very well, so you definitely do not need a radeon to get that benefit of the PC port. Controls are very fluid and smooth with a keyboard/mouse. Some people hate QTEs, so if you hate 'em, too bad. This game has them. I think they're a perfectly fine gameplay mechanic. I don't mind.

Combat is, like the controls, fluid and smooth. I'm shocked, considering Crystal Dynamics has largely made...well...games far inferior to this in the past. :/

Very cinematic gameplay that is a mixture of Uncharted/Assassin's Creed. The optional "Tombs" have, so far, been relatively easy. I was always a fan of the Tomb Raider stories/lore, but never a fan of the puzzle-based gameplay in the previous games, and while there's some small element of puzzles in the main game, it's definitely more of an action/adventure than an environment puzzle. Which I think is great.

The story, and character evolution of Laura, so far, has also been great. It's audacious to say this only three hours in, but I can already see this being in the conversation for end-of-year awards when November/December rolls around.

Just fantastic presentation, solidly smooth gameplay, and far more likable Laura now that she isn't wearing hotpants with Double D cups. I'll hold off on a 10 until I actually finish. ;D About the only thing I can think of at this point that would make me lower my score later is if they end it on a cliffhanger.
  10. Mar 7, 2013
    Tomb Raider plays and feels more like an action movie than a game, but that is not a bad thing. The problem is that it turns, for the most part, the player into an expectator with "little" (choice-wise) to do other than follow the predetermined path and manage QT-Es to stay awake (but let's be fair: extremely well implemented QT-Es).

Trying to gather the collectibles spread around the

Trying to gather the collectibles spread around the map may distract you from the game's main selling point: it's character development and the interaction with the environment, but those menial exploration tasks can be left to after the endgame the completionist in me wanted to ditch the sense of urgency and collect everything on the first play-through, but that spoils the mood.

The voice acting is solid, the graphics are stunning and Lara's character is unbelievably well done, but the rest of the crew is unmemorable to say the best, sometimes falling into "I wish friendly-fire could be turned off" territory. The narrative is very common place (again, not a bad thing), but the action feels... unnatural (too much killing, even if "justified").

The difficult is set very, very low: the (environmental) puzzles are okay, but ammo is pretty much infinite, making fragility the only problem for Lara, but again no complaints here: dying over and over again has always been a selling point for this franchise (really!).

In this reboot we don't have huge, over-the-top and out-of-this-world Tombs, neither did we get underwater sequences (in fact, on my gameplay Lara drowned at least a dozen times) but yes this is solid environment and survival exploration with the most loved female explorer ever. This game truly turns Lara's character into all that she is know even a dose of sex appeal is there, when she isn't mass murdering entire armies.
  11. Mar 5, 2013
    First of all I don't see how you cant accurately review a game within the first hours. And Tomb Raider Linear and scripted? I wonder why that is? Maybe because it is a game where the story is supposed to be linear because it is a prequel to how Lara Croft became a BAMF, This game is meant to have a tighter grip on the beginning of the game because rather than going through stupid slowFirst of all I don't see how you cant accurately review a game within the first hours. And Tomb Raider Linear and scripted? I wonder why that is? Maybe because it is a game where the story is supposed to be linear because it is a prequel to how Lara Croft became a BAMF, This game is meant to have a tighter grip on the beginning of the game because rather than going through stupid slow boring tutorials that we all hate the game actually teaches you while going through Adrenaline filled action. The game is supposed to be a linear game and just because it is linear doesn't mean that's a bad thing. Before you judge this game correctly and accurately with a real review don't rage at it. From what I have played through the game is awesome and fun. Expand
  12. Mar 10, 2013
    Das BESTE tomb Raider ever! Lerne eine Ganz neue Lara kennen... jung verletzlich aber trotzdem ungemein tough! sammle dir deine Waffen und Skills mühsam zusammen und grase Karten nochmal ab auch wenn du schon längst weiter bist! Das neue Gameplay, und die neue Steuerung ist das allerbeste am ganzen Game!!!! die Story super und der Filmcharakter des Spiels fasziniert bis zum letztenDas BESTE tomb Raider ever! Lerne eine Ganz neue Lara kennen... jung verletzlich aber trotzdem ungemein tough! sammle dir deine Waffen und Skills mühsam zusammen und grase Karten nochmal ab auch wenn du schon längst weiter bist! Das neue Gameplay, und die neue Steuerung ist das allerbeste am ganzen Game!!!! die Story super und der Filmcharakter des Spiels fasziniert bis zum letzten Augenblick!!
    DANKE DANKE DANKE für dieses spiel!!!
  13. Mar 28, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game, and on the plus side of things you have: The graphics, the aesthetics, the gameplay, the story, the atmosphere and the fact that the puzzle tombs are an option and not a requirement (though some puzzling and platforming is required for the story, ofcourse). Negatives: The amount of stuff you 'have' to pick up is insane and most of it makes no sense. Relics,I really enjoyed this game, and on the plus side of things you have: The graphics, the aesthetics, the gameplay, the story, the atmosphere and the fact that the puzzle tombs are an option and not a requirement (though some puzzling and platforming is required for the story, ofcourse). Negatives: The amount of stuff you 'have' to pick up is insane and most of it makes no sense. Relics, mushrooms, gps cache's etc. All of this is just dumb, the only things actually worth picking up is the documents, because they add to the story and character development, other than that you just get an xp bonus.

I would have liked to have the survival aspect of the game more thoroughly pronounced, I like that you have to salvage stuff to create your/upgrade your makeshift weapons, but they should have gone a bit further on that note if you ask me. Hopefully they will do that in the next game.
    I would have loved to see less QTE's aswell, or at least make them more apparent as to what you are supposed to do during the QTE, there was one where all it said was hit the button (not which one) when the circle blinks, and I have a keyboard, so there are lots of buttons to press. Anyway that would go down as a bug and something you can accept, since you will forget it later on.
    Also, stop with the achievement announcements and "model unlocked" stuff that happens almost constantly, it takes away from being completely gripped by the game. I would have been completely swallowed by it had these things not happened.
    A last negative is that the nVidia drivers for the game were horrible, which was both part crystal dynamics and nvidias fault, even if the game is "made for AMD" it makes no sense to have it so horribly optimized as it was for nvidia cards at launch. Crash to desktop, insane fps drops, weird gpu usage etc. This has all been fixed, but still, it should not have happened in the first place.

My verdict is a 9/10, the issues I have listed are, for me, enough to drag it down a point, but no further... This is a masterpiece, and 2013 has shown to be a great year, so far, for gaming, if you ask me.
  14. Apr 22, 2013
    One of the better story driven games I have played. I went into it not expecting much, but was instantly glued to my PC and couldn't stop until it was finished. Amazing graphics sound and story. Disappointed with Lara's development though, before you know it she will be mowing down waves of enemies, which doesn't fit her character at all. Definitely one of the best games so far thisOne of the better story driven games I have played. I went into it not expecting much, but was instantly glued to my PC and couldn't stop until it was finished. Amazing graphics sound and story. Disappointed with Lara's development though, before you know it she will be mowing down waves of enemies, which doesn't fit her character at all. Definitely one of the best games so far this year, recommend it highly, even over Bioshock. Expand
  15. Sep 15, 2013
    Why you should get this game"
    -Gorgeous scenery and graphics
    -Combat system is fun and dynamic -Cutscenes are not NEARLY as bad as reviewers are saying, really adds to the storyline and overall feel -Tomb raiding and puzzles are challenging and rewarding -Pulls you into the game (something that is VERY rare for me) Why you shouldn't buy the game: -Skill and crafting system is
    Why you should get this game"
    -Gorgeous scenery and graphics
    -Combat system is fun and dynamic
    -Tomb raiding and puzzles are challenging and rewarding
    -Pulls you into the game (something that is VERY rare for me)

Why you shouldn't buy the game:
    -Skill and crafting system is limited(ish)
    -Little stealth abilities (usually enemies already know you're there)

Conclusion:
    Buy it, buy it, buy it! Fun, enthralling storyline and gameplay. Worth your money.
  16. Jun 6, 2013
    Tomb Raider is a neatly packaged game. The visuals are great and the animations are nice and fluid. The environments are nicely designed and quite varied. The game also sounds great with enjoyable voice acting and the production values of the game is overall quite nice.

I personally really enjoyed the setting of the game and i liked the way the handled the story and character interactions. The shooting and jumping in the game is quite satisfying and i thought that it was varied enough for its appeal to last throughout the game. There are some annoying quicktime events here and there and the game is from time to time very much scripted and linear. But they do pull this off reasonably well and i found myself not hating the scripted nature of some of its gameplay.

But the game do also have some areas with more freedom which is a nice change of pace. The jumping puzzles in the game have taken a back seat for the shooting stuff and stylished jumping sequences. Personally i didnt mind since i am not a big fan of jumping puzzles but i do believe its worth mentioning. There is also a whole less tomb raiding than you would expect from a Tomb raider game. The tombs in the game are however quite enjoyable even though the puzzles aren't all that challenging.

The action in the game is quite enjoyable and i enjoyed that you could tackle different situations in a number of ways. The upgrade system is also a nice touch with unluckable silencers and stuff like that. The bow is also a fun weapon to use and it very much fits the setting of the game. One complaint i do have on the combat is the enemy variety. The humanoid enemies are varied enough but i believe that the game really would benefit from having more animal-based enemies. It would also really fit the setting to have stuff like big bears or some water based enemy in the game.

And while we are on the topic of the wild life. I do think that it is sad that the developers didn't expand on the hunting and gathering options in the game. That would have been a ton of fun and fitted the games setting. I did however enjoy the different collectibles a great deal.

Tomb Raider is to sum it up a pretty good game. It hardly reinvents the wheel and the scripted nature of the game and the way its quite action oriented may piss some people of. The game do however contain a quite good and meaty campaign and its definitely worth picking up if you are looking for a fun around 10 hour long campaign.
  17. Mar 10, 2013
    I love this game. I didn't decide to get it until boredom set in and I bought it on a whim, I'm very glad I did though. If you like action adventure, this will scratch that itch. I constantly find myself just exploring, even though most of the game is linear, there is still room for wandering around and making sure you don't miss anything. The combat is solid and the visuals are amazing.I love this game. I didn't decide to get it until boredom set in and I bought it on a whim, I'm very glad I did though. If you like action adventure, this will scratch that itch. I constantly find myself just exploring, even though most of the game is linear, there is still room for wandering around and making sure you don't miss anything. The combat is solid and the visuals are amazing. Lara looks and sounds great. The quick time events are annoying as ever, but they are few and far between. If you liked uncharted you will surely like this. Expand
  18. Mar 8, 2013
    This is the most realistic action/survival game I have ever played. I'm amazed by it. Sure there are some slightly unrealistic details such as using a ice axe on stone walls, or rope arrows but it is easy to overlook.

The voice acting, movements, emotion are all top notch. It isn't that far off from top notch movie quality. There are only very minor bugs I have encountered with the

There are only very minor bugs I have encountered with the release. It is stable, fun, and totally engrossing.
  19. Mar 9, 2013
    This is easily the best Tomb Raider game. And I'm a TR fan since the first one!
    This is easily the best Tomb Raider game. And I'm a TR fan since the first one!
    The graphics on PC are stunning, amazing. And they support the great atmosphere created by music and story, which is greatly great. The gameplay contains all the classical elements from the original Tomb Raider's. But they're obviously modified. Combat is great! Even if the AI isn't too smart, it still works well. The auto-cover system works very well too! The exploration is something really amazing: the hubs are really big! And the documents and the relics are really a lot! Also, the documents are super duper interesting. They tell you a lot about Yamatai's story and they're well written. In case you didn't know, Yamatai is the island where the game takes place. Following only the story path, you'll have a great and cinematic experience, but, I really tip you to collect everything to understand more about the history and then enjoy more the events in the game (at least on your first playthrough). There are a lot of emotional scenes in the game. The supporting cast (for the example the Endurance's crew) is amazingly done! I don't know why some people say that the secondary characters are not well made... they are well made! But... you have to collect their documents to understand more about them and to know them better. Now let's talk about the QTEs... well, even if I'm not a big fan of QTEs, they didn't bother me at all in the game. They were also good in some scenes. Also the ending is pretty epic. And iconic. I really love how Lara grows in the game. And there we come to an important piece: the skills upgrades and the gear upgrades. They are amazing. Maybe the gear upgrades are better done than the skills' ones... they're all great though! Well, what must I say now? Oh, eh, the atmosphere is really intense and very scary at some points in the game... Really scary. Love it! I also think that the game is pretty scripted. But not too much... because you can still face the situations in different ways... Well, I'm done. 10 out of 10. Amazing game. Congrats Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix.
  20. Mar 18, 2013
    The best TR game in a long time, bringing us back why we fell in love with Lara Croft and being able to playing her and seeing her develop into the awesome character that we know and loved for so long. Gameplay, story, graphics are the best i ever seen in a Tomb Raider game EVER, Crystal Dynamics really did a great job. My only issues with the game that i had was that the other charactersThe best TR game in a long time, bringing us back why we fell in love with Lara Croft and being able to playing her and seeing her develop into the awesome character that we know and loved for so long. Gameplay, story, graphics are the best i ever seen in a Tomb Raider game EVER, Crystal Dynamics really did a great job. My only issues with the game that i had was that the other characters are really nothing worth even remembering, but the story is very well told and there's plenty to do in the game, to finding treasure to finding secret tombs and upgrading all your skills. This game made me proud of the franchise and have new hope that Lara Croft will never die but only get better for future Tomb Raider games. Expand
  21. Mar 22, 2013
    This game has a lot of positives, and very little negatives. Stunning visuals, great sound/voice acting, intense story and gameplay that will leave you incredibly satisfied with your purchase. One thing that stands out in my opinion is the level design. The way the game directs you, leaves you options and controls your reactions to certain situations is just amazing. I think that is greatThis game has a lot of positives, and very little negatives. Stunning visuals, great sound/voice acting, intense story and gameplay that will leave you incredibly satisfied with your purchase. One thing that stands out in my opinion is the level design. The way the game directs you, leaves you options and controls your reactions to certain situations is just amazing. I think that is great considering many people worried about this game looking to action/adventure shoot-em-up than the creative level-designs from the previous games. I'm glad to say that everything is balanced fantastically, and just the right amount of optional completion. There are a few problems with the PC drivers, but a couple of patches later fix this almost fully. The aging consoles bring this game down too much and with my rig running this on ultimate setting at a comfortable 60fps it's hard to say that you should play it on anything else. The PC version is the way to go and even the keyboard and mouse feel more comfortable than the controller.

22. Mar 14, 2013
    One of the most beautiful games I have ever played. I am a rare breed where I can't finish a game let alone get 30 minutes into one. This game wasn't one that let me sink my teeth right in off the bat. Once I got into knowing where Lara's character was going I just had to know what happened next. The presentation to this game was nothing but amazing. Not since Max Payne 3 has a game madeOne of the most beautiful games I have ever played. I am a rare breed where I can't finish a game let alone get 30 minutes into one. This game wasn't one that let me sink my teeth right in off the bat. Once I got into knowing where Lara's character was going I just had to know what happened next. The presentation to this game was nothing but amazing. Not since Max Payne 3 has a game made me connect to the character and feel as if my actions were truly controlling and manipulating what is next for her. At first the gameplay does seem quite forced and boring. Hunt this, QTE... I really didn't care for it. But once you break the first sequence of events you're in for quite a thrilling experience. Lara is acted by the lovely Camilla Luddington. Initially I played this game purely because of her, she has yet to be discovered in Hollywood and this may have been what I thought was her chance to really prove her skill. I couldn't have been more correct. She was everything that I could want in a character that was the face of gaming for quite a few years, yet she made it her own and created someone which feels as if there was someone like Lara.

I am done with making this out to be the best game ever. But it is the game of the year thus far. 9.4/10
  23. Mar 6, 2013

My review is in the link. 9/10

I suggest Tomb Raider to any gamer, especially to any previous Tomb Raider Fans!
  24. Mar 9, 2013
    Tomb Raider offers a completely new direction for the Iconic Lara Croft, who while a household name in the 90's, has fallen out of the public eye to some extent in later outings of her series. This re-imagining exists as sort of a Secret Origins for Lara Croft, showing how she went from the inquisitive skeptical college graduate and archaeologist to hardened survivor and intrepid explorerTomb Raider offers a completely new direction for the Iconic Lara Croft, who while a household name in the 90's, has fallen out of the public eye to some extent in later outings of her series. This re-imagining exists as sort of a Secret Origins for Lara Croft, showing how she went from the inquisitive skeptical college graduate and archaeologist to hardened survivor and intrepid explorer and eponymous Tomb Raider. I'm no expert on the character as I've never been that huge a fan of the series, while the idea was always appealing it never lured me in beyond, also I was a Nintendo Kid growing up, so if you're looking for a review that compares this tomb raider to the rest of the series disregard much of this. Tomb Raider begins with a Naive, innocent Lara going through hell, as the game progresses, Lara becomes more and more injured, and degraded, as she struggles to survive and overcome challenges. As a result of this characterization and graphic suffering and desperation, from the voice acting, to the animation, to the dirt and wounds and tearing of clothing, Lara's trial by fire feels almost uncomfortably real and I loved every minute of it. Every challenge she overcomes, she reacts to realistically and becomes stronger. She evolves into the character that became so iconic. Lara is fully 3 dimension and this is wholly her story. Speaking of story, the game employs a storytelling method of Lara's natural curiosity getting the better of her, even through all she's suffering through and being challenged with to uncover the secrets of the island she's crashed on. By finding old documents, the journals of long dead inhabitants of the islands, her crewmates, her own internal monologues at campfires, and through uncovering lost tombs and relics scattered throughout the island, you discover the secrets and revelations of the islands dark past yourself. This game is very much like playing an Indiana Jones movie mixed with some survival horror and cult shocker. The gameplay is smooth and feels visceral and rewarding, you feel real danger, and there are genuine thrills, additionally, failure is rewarded with a gruesome and not for the feint of heart death sequence that would push the squeamish to do better, further amping up the survival factor (though a sadistic player may try to fail each one once just to see all the many death animations and there are a lot of them) The combat however is typical of the genre, cover based with much more desperation involve, regenerating health returns but without a health bar or any track of it, the slightest mix up can get you killed, but there is usally a chance to get to cover and survive. that is what this game is all about. Survival. armed with bow and arrow, climbing axe, pistol,and later more brutal weapons, Lara gets downright savage in this game toward the end with her own killing animations. You gain experience for finding relics, killing, hunting, finding collectibles and story objectives which are used to buy skills, higher level skills are only unlocked after unlocking a number of prequisite skills to gain access to another tier, weapons can be upgraded to a point at which you must find parts to upgrade to another tier of of weapon (a makeshift bow becomes a recurve bow, et cetera) The game places emphasis on using your head, enviroment, surroundings and stealth to your advantage, you have a dedicated 'scramble' button to avoid or minimize damage in combat, that while effective is not guaranteed to work. Standing out of cover to take your time is frustrating though, as it opens you up, but the aiming is sluggish (and you must be aiming to fire) and the enemies move quickly and almost non stop, even when you're still unnoticed, while realistic, can be irritating as it makes carefully timing your shots less effective and more dangerous than frantically spraying bullets in combat and hoping you kill it. perhaps this adds a dose of realism? I dont think so.

The few flaws this game has is the fact that I feel it overuses quick time events somewhat, while I like them and think they enhance cut scenes by making them more "gamey" they are something of a crutch. I dislike how easy the platforming is sometimes and how linear the game can be, but the puzzles are often interesting, yet still simple while I would prefer more complex ones, they are there but too few. There are elements of metroidvania gameplay here I appreciate (areas and bonuses are locked until you get a certain piece of equipment, at which point you can return to the area) also, the combat has too much emphasis on gunning down your opponents later in game and it's much much more difficult to remain stealthy and precise. it becomes too easy to simply mow down enemies with various guns late game. While satisfying the first chance you get to do this, it hurts the overall experience. But overall, the negatives aren't enough to weigh down such a great game.
  25. Mar 8, 2013
    This reboot of the series is an extremely well done and needed addition. I was a huge fan of the series back in the day, however, in past years the series seemed to dip off and not be interesting or even fun.

This game changes that. I find myself enjoying every minute of the game from the visuals, sound, challenges and the storyline as well. The idea of this being how Lara became who she is now is shown in an accurate and interesting way. Tress FX from AMD on the PC versions is actually a huge addition to the game. I mocked the idea of someone animating hair because, let's be honest, it's just hair. However, to see it in action it actually does add detail and realism to the game itself. If you have any desire to play a Tomb Raider game, do not pass this one up. This one is definitely one of the best of 2013 so far.

Pros: Visuals are outstanding (Tress FX). Storytelling is great. Combat is entertaining and the cover system just 'works' even though it's not complex.

Cons: nVidia drivers aren't optimized for this just yet so on Ultra there will be some slow down on high end PC's. And....nothing else?
  26. Mar 8, 2013
    Let me start by saying that I am very glad I bought this game. I play all types of games, and this has been one of my favorite ones lately. I would give this a 10, but the multiplayer shouldn't be there, it's more of a thing to do after you have done 100% completion on hardest setting. I played through the entire game on normal with 80% completion when I was done, and man did I haveLet me start by saying that I am very glad I bought this game. I play all types of games, and this has been one of my favorite ones lately. I would give this a 10, but the multiplayer shouldn't be there, it's more of a thing to do after you have done 100% completion on hardest setting. I played through the entire game on normal with 80% completion when I was done, and man did I have fun. The people who complain about QTE's must be jaded to the fun that they can be, and how it keeps you honest around every corner by making sure you got your hand on the buttons or you could be roflstomped. Tomb Raider is back, and making an attempt to freshen up what had gotten to be a stale shooter with puzzles. Some people hate change, but in my opinion, without the overhaul that SE did with this franchise, Lara would be done. I can honestly say that I felt attached to Lara in this game unlike any previous titles, and the secondary characters had some dimension, but you have to read all of the journals and hear all of the really well done vocal/voice work to understand them deeper than just "Lara and friends". The graphics are well done, with the exception of some shadow glitches in certain foliage on PC (hoping it's a small patch fix.) I was impressed overall by the quality and consistency, there was even a graphic setting for her hair which when turned on, made it render what seems like each strand of hair and not a solid seeming hair. The action has you going non stop from place to place, there is always something to do, and finding all of the weapon upgrades is key to having the most fun out of this game. I would recommend this game to my friends and family, I thought it was very well done. Expand
  27. Mar 8, 2013
    I hate QTE games and "interactive movies". Games like far cry or assassins creed filled with cutscenes all time and with very low gameplay difficulty really piss me off and bore very fast. But this game is so well done that it made possible to me to enjoy this kind of gameplay. The story is very good, the gameplay is entertaining and always interesting.

Also, as pc user it has to be

Also, as pc user it has to be noted that it is the best conversion I've ever saw. I have an old acer laptop with just a 540M but still I'm able to play at normal-high settings with incredible graphics and very smooth.

The cons are the stupid perk system and the story, it is a bit short. I do recommend you to not skip the puzzle and secondary quests, they are very nice and "old tomb raider" style.
  28. Mar 9, 2013
    This is a fantastic game. Great story, a prequel. Great mix of action and puzzles. Great graphics, Lara has never looked so well. The game borrows a lot from Uncharted, but it's not bad, it's very good. Last series had become boring and breathe something new in Lara Croft. The guys who made this game tried their best. I hope that the next part will be worse. The game just pulls his magicThis is a fantastic game. Great story, a prequel. Great mix of action and puzzles. Great graphics, Lara has never looked so well. The game borrows a lot from Uncharted, but it's not bad, it's very good. Last series had become boring and breathe something new in Lara Croft. The guys who made this game tried their best. I hope that the next part will be worse. The game just pulls his magic and mysticism. Wants to play again by the minute, seek to explore, to plunder the tomb. My rating 10 out of 10, so far the best game in 2013. Play necessarily. Expand
  29. Mar 8, 2013
    Great Games don't need to be prefect with no bugs (they help, but it's not everything) or great Graphics, only a Epic story and a good Gameplay, and Tomb Raider full all these requirements and more: adds astonish Graphics and the characters are so charismatic that immerses you in the story, Camila Ludington make a Huge and Brilliant work making Lara Croft rebooted, but...
    The multiplayer
    The multiplayer is not so fantastic, well, planting traps is cool but, i don't see anything more in the multiplayer, is a little boring i can talk!
    Well, but the game is GREAT, is the best Lara Croft game I've ever played, deserves a 9!
  30. Mar 8, 2013
    If you expect this to be the same as the old TR to you might be disappointed, but overall its a very good game imo. I give it a 9 because it could have been a little more challenging. It took me 26 hours to complete the game with a 100% score on all sectors and upgrades/skills.

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Jun 10, 2013
    The new incarnation of the iconic Lara Craft might very well be one of the best games out there right now. [April 2013]
  2. PC PowerPlay
    Mar 30, 2013
    Everything you could want from an archeological adventure, except having to press six keys to mantle. [Apr 2013, p.80]
  3. Mar 19, 2013
    While not every promising idea Tomb Raider has is pulled off successfully, it nevertheless turns in a tense and memorable ride that combines modern game design with its forebears’ adventurous spirit in some exciting ways. Some of its missteps may well come at the cost of your enjoyment, but most can’t hope to hurt the adventure in the long run. Although it never fully finds its identity, this is a game and a story worth seeing through.