8.6

1. Feb 26, 2014
    Started the game. Played for 30 mins. Gained 7 levels. Still didn't knew what the hell was going on.
    I've played so many bad rpgs recently that I've lost count. But this game is just stupid. Anyone compares it with diablo is a fool. Definitely not worth the money.
  2. Jan 13, 2014
    game is really nice,but multiplayer really sucks,first i had to log in and log out several times so i and my friends can be on same server and play,we played 1 hour no problems then the lag problems started,sometimes me sometimes him,enemy just stand and dodnt attack or boss respawns 10 times,health is gone in 1 sec and no one attacks,i searched google and forums for solutions,its amazing how many people have same problem and no solution Expand
  3. Jan 13, 2014
    For this game, once compared to Diablo 3, it seems very good. Once compared to Path of Exile, it seems very bad. Let me explain. Torchlight 2 succeed where Diablo 3 fail but Path of exile succeed where both Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3 fail. The most negative point is the cartoon style and it is not free unlike Path of Exile. When I give a score to a game, I have to ask myself "did the money I paid worth that game. The answer is no. This game should be free. Expand
  4. Aug 11, 2013
    I don't know why people giving Torchlight 2 so high scores. I really felt cheated when the feedback was so good, and then the reality was very different.

- THE BAD:

Graphics are bad with no detail, combat is lazy with no impact, monsters have little variety, landscape neither has about any variety at all, boring quests (It's an APRG, surprise), story is boring, there are few classes
    and the customization is also scraping the bottom,

- THE GOOD:

You can apply mods and multiplayer is keeping the game alive, but ony by a bit.

I didn't finish the game after 18 hours of gameplay I gave up due to the game was too boring.
  5. Jun 15, 2013
    This game is horrible compared to the first. The graphics are are fuzzier, not as sharp, the world isn't nearly as appealing as the first game.. Loot drops are favor what ever classes you AREN'T playing. Got a Outlander to up level 20 and no pistol drops anywhere, and yet they start you out with pistols. Stupid level design nowhere near as cool as the first game and the controls are still an unintuitive mess. The only reason anyone gives this game a 10 is because it doesn't suck as bad as Diablo 3, but it still sucks. Expand
  6. Jun 9, 2013
    gameplay is boring and graphic are too cartoonish for my taste. an improvement over the first installment, but not sufficient enough to make it to a positive rating.
  7. May 30, 2013
    Childish graphics poor gameplay too few classes Game crashing on co-op after every loading screen. Poor story as hell Tbh even Diablo 3 is better than this game and that game sucks too.
  8. May 19, 2013
    An uninspired Diablo 2 clone, dumbed down for the kiddies. It's much too easy. In three hours on Hard I might have drunk three health potions. There's no sense of world, no persistent characters, and no storyline to speak of. There's not even a world map to give you any sense of this world you're expected to save. It fails as a game, and it fails as a story.
  9. Apr 2, 2013
    The first thing that comes to mind when I start this game, is the non immersive cartoony graphics. The one thing positive about this is you can argue I don't have a low spec system, so I can't test this theory) that the game 'should' be playable on low end systems.

The game's graphics detract so much sometimes from gameplay, that it makes it difficult to see grades in the landscape
    making the game annoying to traverse.

I did enjoy the pet system, not because I can use my poor pet because Im too lazy to go back to town with my brave pet, but because I'd rather play through the game with my pet dog, than with a follower from other similar games in the genre.

The player RUNS through the game far too early, making it seems as if my player is constantly on caffeine, which is something that RPG fans prob. won't like a great deal, but 'younger' generation players probably will.

The stat screen is interesting enough, but I personally found the 'Skill' screen very ugly and diminished by immersion a lot, whereas with Diablo 3 it's the exact opposite.

The overall feeling of this game is very childish and non immersive, as much as I wanted to like it overall, I just can't. The outside levels are bad enough in that regard, but going into a dungeon feels like mayberry RFD instead of a gritty dungeon experience which again Diablo 3 offers in spades though admittedly neither succeed in that area given there are no torches for area effect ).

THe fact that you can't change your skills once they are in place alienates players who might make mistake placing them, just as was done in Diablo 2, and I found that very distasteful then as well, so Im very appreciative of Blizzards foresight in making skills changeable with no obvious penalty short of a small 1 minute or so visual showing the new skill reenergizing.

I would like to say the game was fun, that it drew me IN, but it's not when you consider that it is hard to get 'into the game' given the lacking immersion, for reasons stated above, and the poorly designed skills screen wasn't helping me at all. The sound and visual effects are just fine and do help to alleviate the issues above,but it's not really enough to overcome them for me.

IT's quite clear, that they chose their 'visual' look very cartoony, in a lowered style compared to Diablo 3, etc.) to appeal to a younger audience which is fine, but I feel it left out the hardcore audience that wants realism. Diablo 2 is a 10 year old game now, but it's look and feel is not diminished, and Diablo 3 which veered off course thankfully....) skill and stat wize has managed to maintain a immersion factor of 10 and is the one true Diablo 2 sequel in this authors opinion.

Just as with WoW, I would prefer to have a decent 'pet system' for Diablo 3, which may come in a expansion, so I will give TL2 one extra positive mark for entertaining those of us who love our pets and want them by our gaming side, vs ordinary boring followers.

I did not try Networking, but I hear its frought with issues both in stability and profanity in game 'titles'.

One last note; while diablo 3 does the same basic thing, I take one mark away from TL2 for not attaching offensive spells animations to our actual choice of weapon wiz here), thereby removing another source of needed immersion for this visually inferior game adult crowd at least, and I suspect many 'kids' out there too given our technological age ).

All in all, the game succeeds in showing us a fantasy based world full of button mashing necessity yet fails to deliver on style. At the asking price of $20 or $10 right now on Steam) and given there is a GUTS editor to making MOD's for TL2, it's hard to debate the net worth compared to other titles going for $60 in todays market.

The replayability suffers from the games lacking emmersion, but at least there is a GUTS editor for those that have managed to outlast that shallowness, and dynamic challenges placed throughout the game world do help to alleviate some of that, but given the possible lack of maturity given this games look and feel, I can't imagine that the experience would be worth it.

I also found that with a lot of spells going on at the sametime I can imagine that MP would be far far worse), that a otherwise visual delight is otherwise turned into visually confusing mayhem making anything interesting turn into a indistinguishable mess a lot of the time. Diablo 3 did a fine job of fine tuning that,short of 4 players and monsters hordes, where even that scenario is doable. I also thought that while overall acceptable, that a better job could have been done with visual spell effects .

I think it's a shame that the less mature among this forum's inhabitants were so harsh on Diablo 3 given ridiculous scores of '0', so I will avoid that silliness entirely and mark this game on its actual 'merits' ,not some super childish antics.

Graphics: 3
    Immersion: 0
    Mechanics: 8
    Replayability: 7
    Sound: 5
  10. Feb 1, 2013
    As was the case with the first Torchlight, this is simply a ripoff of diablo 2 with a minor change or two. The graphics are unimpressive and I got bored within 30 minutes. Certainly not worth 20 bucks.
  11. Jan 14, 2013
    I was hugely disappointed in T2. The very first spell I tried was so overpowered I could just walk through the game mashing one button and everything died. You feel more like a exterminator spraying **** than anything else: just clearing out areas full of bugs. Rinse and repeat. It's the ultimate grind-a-thon. I quickly bumped the game up to highest difficulty, but it made no difference. They throw so much healing potion at you, and your mana regenerates so quick that everything feels cheap, like you've got a cheat enabled. This is a game you'd give to your 8 year old nephew or something. Definitely not the Diablo III alternative so many people keep claiming. The first Torchlight had a lot of charm and challenge. This thing is just an unbalanced mess. Expand
  12. Jan 6, 2013
    I had not played Torchlight 1 but heard very good things about it, so I gave this game a try.

My initial thoughts were that while the graphics were a bit to bright and cartoony for my taste the combat seemed okay.

As I played on I grew more and more bored with the game, not having a comparison between my current piece of armour/weapon with the one I'm examining quickly frustrated me,
    as well as not being able to teleport home without using a scroll. There are a lot more small details that all add up for a less than enjoyable experience. Expand
  13. Nov 23, 2012
    This game is really nothing more than a cheap Diablo 2 clone. It really has no originality and the story is virtually non existent. Perhaps what I was most disappointed in was the skills. They all seem so boring and bland. I played the character with the duel guns and found it irritating having to click exactly on my target to fire. Many times my character would go running towards the target. In a nutshell this game is a cartoonish downgraded version of D2 with lamer skills and treasure. This is 1 of only 2 games I've ever bought that I was extremely disappointed in. How this game received almost a 9 is beyond me. Expand
  14. Nov 22, 2012
    As with many games with exceptional ratings on metacritic I had very high hopes. Unfortunately TL2 did not deliver or appeal to my taste. TL2 felt very mindless, running around hacking and slashing, or shoot and casting in my class There wasn't very much intellectual stimulation or perhaps a challenge running through on veteran. Perhaps an incentive could be persuaded to play higher difficulties such as better loot or faster exp. Apart from the enjoyment of continually gaining new gear which in itself is an factional incremental reward it was a game for me that I could no longer feel I would like to continue to play after 2 hours. Expand
  15. Nov 17, 2012
    As much as I dislike giving this game a review score of Zero, it must be done. Torchlight 2 has been out for three months now, and yet the developers have yet to address bugs that erase your progress in the game, whether that be how far you've progressed in the main campaign (I cannot progress past the beginning of Act 2, the game always resets when I exit), or losing character progress (a level 30 character being reset to level 10). The developers, Runic Games, blame the users when this happens. Apparently, after a game session, it's the user's responsibility to make back-ups of their save files, and to carefully examine their character status to make sure that the game actually did save your progress when you last exited the game, and if not, then you have to load your back-up save files. And guess what? In my case, even after doing all of this, it doesn't work--I am always placed back at the beginning of Act 2. Simply put, the game is unplayable, and Runic apparently has no plans to address this issue with a patch. For this reason, I would advise spending your money elsewhere. Expand
  16. Nov 2, 2012
    The game deserves a 7/10. Giving it a 0 to counter all the people who just hate D3 (before writing a word about TL2 they rant about Diablo.)
    THE GOOD: The pet system is a lot better than the follower system in D3/D2, it is awesome to send them back to town and continue fighting and they can cast spells which is useful. The music in the game is fantastic and will be very familiar to
    anyone who has played Diablo 2 (Matt Uleman). The artwork is simple but well done and so are the animations. There is a lot to customize (stat points, skill points, jewels, spells, gear, enchanting, etc.)
    THE BAD:The story is beyond horrible (mostly just confusing nonsense). Skills are very hit and miss (some great, some pointless), the skill trees don't seem to be organized well and the player levels so often that the points feel less important. On that note the standard game only allows you to reset your last 3 skills which was a bad design decision (there are mods but players shouldn't have to "fix" the game). The loot is okay although the "unique" items aren't that impressive. The boss fights aren't really memorable and a lot of them were fairly easy. The game also crashed several times and had some issues when playing online.

OVERALL: Played through the game once and probably won't play it again. It has some serious design flaws and a terrible story. Nowhere near the level of DIablo 2, don't let these reviews fool you.
  17. Oct 18, 2012
    it looks like a game for 9 yrs olds wich makes the immersion impossible. this becomes multiplied in the moment when you realize that the story and characters are so uninterresting, that you dont even care about what you are doing there. the game fails to suck you into a living gameenviroment and so you dont care for the characters, you dont care for the story, you dont care for the gameworld and after a very short time you stop caring about the game. Expand
  18. Oct 7, 2012
    I think this looks exactly the same as torchlight I. The surroundings are constant, and I feel like what you're playing is the same dungeon over and over. And co-op isn't that funny with this game at all. The only thing keeping this game at some level of interest is the graphics. The spells can sometimes look kinda cool, but besides that, I find nothing good with this game. So yeah, like I said, this game contains no variety at all and the environment is non-changing. So if you want a game with just one dungeon, then feel free to buy this game. I want variety, that's why this game gets a 3/10. Expand
  19. Sep 28, 2012
    This isn't a game for those who don't usually play arpg. The gameplay is more or less left-click driven, not particularly tactical, and mostly driven by your decision to level-up in one tree or another, or what items you decide to equip.

It gets points for not being too expensive, but in my mind doesn't innovate any new game concepts.
  20. Sep 26, 2012
    I can't relate to where this genre is evolving, be it Diablo 3 or Torchlight 2... Summary of my experience with this game in 3-player-coop (~12 hours) on veteran difficulty: Most of the time, mindlessly clicking the left mouse button works just as well if not better than spamming the screen with overlapping, unrecognizable fireworks. Don't know if my eyes get old or what, but with only 3 characters simultaneously using their skills, I wasn't able to comprehend what was going on on the screen anymore: Total chaos and seemingly random flashing with colors that looked way too similar to me. Hats off to those who can make out where the monsters are they try to click (if theyre not HUGE) or what sparks of the fireworks are damaging them or you or are just for show. After ~3 hours we settled to 1 of us using skills, while the other 2 just used left clicks. And even then it was straining to the eyes if you wanted to follow what was going on. Thus we were rushing through the levels, on the edge between shallow instant gratification and wondering about why we waste our time with this. Torchlight 2, just like Diablo 3, feels like its trying to feed "target groups" instead of being something that the devs really tried to be personal and fun. Expand

Torchlight 2 offers everything an action RPG fan wants: a huge campaign, variety of enemies, a rich system of quality loot, well-balanced and fresh classes with different build options, care-free and fun multiplayer modes. [November 2012]
  2. Dec 13, 2012
    Sure, it might not reinvent the wheel as built by Diablo II over a decade ago, but Runic deserves props for perfectly recreating the formula. Many others have tried to bring their own take on Diablo to the market-and failed. Runic didn't, which makes Torchlight II an essential purchase for anyone who loves to crawl through dungeons while scoring phat loot.
  3. Nov 25, 2012
    A slick action RPG with wit and charm, this is a genuine alternative to Diablo III. [Christmas 2012, p.93]