8.6

1. Sep 23, 2012
    This game is what Diablo 3 should have been. Loot system is 10 times better, it actually has randomized maps, and just plays a ton better than D3 ever could.
  2. Sep 23, 2012
    This is an absolutely fantastic effort by Runic, and proves to be a god-tier ARPG with versatile skill trees, ideal difficulty (on veteran IMO), and engaging combat. That said, it doesn't really innovate too much on the ARPG template of loot-kill-loot-kill that we all know and (might) love, with the notable exception of the incredibly convenient pet system. I've already sunk many hours into this gem, and I'm sure my social life will continue to be crippled for weeks to come at LAN parties and late night single player sessions. The $20 price tag is practically thievery, so you should probably buy it right now, even if you don't even WANT it. Only point reduction is for lack of originality, but honestly, it's an insignificant niggle and won't effect your enjoyment too much. Why haven't you bought it yet? Was I not clear or something? Expand
  3. Sep 23, 2012
    Incredible game. Nothing I can say that others haven't already. This is how the genre of game is supposed to be. My only argument would be the graphics, however what it lacks in graphics it supplies in gameplay and consistency. Its actually really FUN and makes you want to keep playing. Its good to see not all game developers are obsessed with funny and maintain that "gamer spirit", and it clearly shows in their work here. Expand
  4. Sep 23, 2012
    I haven't had this much from with an ARPG since Diablo 2. The atmosphere and setting are both bang on, the gameplay (targeting enemies, camera, mechanics, etc.) are all very well done. The only fault I can find in this game is that the story isn't memorable. Aside from that, this game is perfection.
  5. Sep 23, 2012
    Excellent game from excellent developers. Already put 35hours into the game and i'm really excited. The fluidity of the gameplay is perfect, there's a lot but not too much loot, you can gamble, enchant your equipment, you can specc your char and have real chararcter progression. There's plenty to do all the time besides killing: a bit of fishing, planning your build/stats/talents, explore the map and be rewarded for it (find phasebeasts which open portals to unique challenge areas; find new quests which give fame) and so forth.

I can really recommend the game to everyone, which loved D2. Once again you got this sense of replayability. The combat is a little bit hectic sometimes, but you'll get used to it pretty fast.

Have fun with this nice hack n' slay!
  6. Sep 23, 2012
    I was surprised of how entertaining this game is. Here are a few reason why I personally like it.

1) The core gameplay is well done: It as satisfying skills and a good loot/itemization system. Hunting for treasure feels contently rewarding. The map are big and well randomized. It really encourage you to find every unexplored corner and kill every mobs to find chests, special events and
    so on. 2) There are many little systems that enrich the game. You have a pet that carry and sell spare loots for you, a enchanting system to put random attributes on your favourite items, transmuting to combine different items to create new ones, a gambling system similar to the one in diablo 2, etc. 3) Single player and mod support! Those two come hand in hand. It gives a lot of freedom of how to play the game. Ex. I personally dont like how respec work (only your last 3 skills). As soon as the mod tool is out il be able to change that to fit my own preferences. You can also play online/lan using the same characters. And just to nuance this review a bit, the bad sides would be:

- Some abilities felt a little bit delayed at first. However, I got used to it very quickly.
    - Loading times can be a little bit annoying but they aren't very long or too frequent. - Some beginners traps are learned the hard way: you can only respect 3 abilities back so plan them carefully. I shouldn't have sold the unique (yellow/golden) items I dint use because you can transmute them together in act 2.
    - The story,while not terribly deep, is slightly confusing at first. That might be because its a sequel. You get a better sense of it as you progress. While not necessarily a bad thing, its the same formula as Diablo 2 story: the big bad guy as passed before you and as left the place corrupted. You must fix the mess he left behind while chasing after him.)
    - Not fully voice acted. No voice acting on secondary quest dialogue so its sometime tempting to skip the text. Especially that you will want to keep hitting things right Now for a bit of ranting not directly concerning the gameplay...

Torchlight II vs Diablo 3: Its impossible to avoid this comparison. The main difference is that Diablo 3 forced you online. TLII is a singleplayer with coop option, D3 is a multiplayer game that you can play alone but forced on the same terms as everyone else. Every big design decisions can be traced back to that difference. The D3 auction house plays an especially big part in all this (in my opinion it impacted the looting system in a bad way). In the end D3 should please the more competitive players. However by eliminating offline play, blizzard alienated many players. For me Diablo 2 at is best was played single player (or lan with close friends) using mods. That is impossible to do in D3. TLII filled that hole left by D3. Both games offers things that the other doesn't but I find TL2 more versatile with the choices of online/offline play and mod support.

While both franchises are different they are also strikingly similar in a way. Diablo fans also feel right at home in TLII. I feel very nostalgic playing the game because it reminds me of D1 and D2 so much. I was not surprised to learn that many of the developers of TL2 worked on those 2 games and that the music composer was also the same (you get a very Tristam vibe in act 1 with the soft acoustic guitar).

I also have a lot of respect for the developers for their very customer friendly decisions. There are no obstructive DRM (like online only) and the price is beyond reasonable (20$). They also support and even encourage modding (modding toolset coming soon). MODDING, MORE MODS! I know I keep repeating myself on that point but its a very important things for me as a player. My favourite RPGs are those with a very healthy modding communities. Fallout 3, Skyrim, and Dragon Age: Origins (sadly a big step back in mod support for DA:2) are all games that I kept playing a long time after completion solely because of mods. While Diablo 2 dint have modding tools it still had some great mods like Ancestral Recall and the still popular MedianXL that I actually played a lot more then the original game. Sadly because of restrictive DRM doubled with the desire to sell DLC, games with mod support are becoming a rare breed.

So bottom line: I'm loving Torchlight II both because of its fun gameplay and the freedom it gives me. I'm glad to support any game developers that take this direction! 9/10 Wow, thats a bit TL:DR but once I started writing it escalated quickly! :P
  7. Sep 23, 2012
    Torchlight 2 embodies everything Diablo 3 should have been. The games graphics may seem a bit odd but it actually suits the game very well with plenty of blood drenching the scenery during battles too. You are able to fully control your characters build, including its stat point distribution, and each character has multiple weapon types to compliment different builds - you're not stuck with just one weapon type (like a two handed axe for an engineer or a two handed Staff for an Ember Mage) for each character there are different options which will certainly allow you to strengthen your chosen build. Looting is a major part of Torchlight 2, which in this kind of game should always be the case, and with plenty of specials, mini bosses, Large open landscapes crawling with monsters and side quests as well as the main plot line and bosses - the game is full of challenges to keep the player busy.

And of course you are able to play offline, over LAN or over the Internet so you are not forced to play a non-MMO with MMO security. This game, in my opinion, captures everything that games of this genre are about - adds a little extra magic - and then presents it to you brilliantly.
  8. Sep 23, 2012
    Un très bon jeu. Bien supérieur à diablo 3 à son lancement. (oui déjà TL2 fonctionne dès la première minute juste après le DL).

De bon graphismes, dynamique, des loots stimulant, une durée de vie très bonne avec les mods et les donjons infinis ...
  9. Sep 23, 2012
    Diablo 3 is better than TL 2? No !! this game better than D3. This is the one of the best A-RPG, I love offline game play also I can customize my character stats. Nice graphic, sound, music, dungeon system and many more. If you looking for continuation of Diablo 2 ? this game perfect for you, believe me.
  10. Sep 23, 2012
    After finishing this game with embermage I can safely say this is definitely tthe best game in the genre at the moment. It may have taken a decade, but something has finally dethroned Diablo II (and who better than a team heavy on former Blizzard North employees). There is literally nothing bad to be said about this game. The music and artstyle are top-notch, gameplay is solid and the multiplayer has LAN. Expand
  11. Sep 23, 2012
    What a blast! This game is so much FUN - the story is interesting and surprises you constantly, the loot design is much fun - they aren't stingy with it at all, and I'm having fun collecting all sorts of interesting gear. I created an Embermage to hold gear for my hunter-type, and couldn't put the mage down to switch back to my higher level character! So addictive.

I've reached level 29
    so far, and the experience so far has been excellent. The play style is intuitive and familiar without feeling overly familiar or repetitive. The game is extremely smooth and bug-free, which really helps keep up the feeling of immersion. The music is great, the environments stunningly beautiful. I was expecting a lot of out this game, because like everyone else, it was basically my last chance at a follow up to D2 - and it does _not_ disappoint! Expand
  12. Sep 23, 2012
    The best Diablo-like since Diablo 2... More fun and lighter than Diablo 3. Really good small design ideas that keep the interest going, plus the beloved skill tree. Plus you can play single player.
    In a nutshell, it's a blizzard game designed by a blizzard team who just happen not to be at blizzard anymore :)
  13. Sep 23, 2012
    In Torchlight II the combat animations and feel of battle in general are liquid smooth, it just flows perfectly. It has so much more to offer than Diablo III. It actually has end game content with new game+, never ending REAL map randomizations, item enchantments, a real open world with a lot to explore, toooons of side quests, an awesome pet system, a better and more creative skill system similar to the past Diablo title, better champion/boss fights, better item stats, endless content with the usage of game mods to create even more content for the game such as new quests, classes, items, UI enhancements, more pets, and so on! And there is just so much more that could be talked about too! Diablo III's main problem: Boooooring! I quit after about a month after launch when I got 3 level 60s because there was nothing to do. It's so straightforward: follow the path, look for the blinking icon on the map, no adventuring, no side questing, no fun. Quit for nearly 3 months total, came back when I saw the 1.0.4 patch, played for about a week, then quit again... now I am gone for good since TL2 is out! I have no regrets about leaving Diablo III behind even though I put a lot of hours into the game. Thank you Runic Games for making the ARPG that makes perfect sense!!! I will be playing Torchlight II for a long time, and I am excited to play it every single time! Expand
  14. Sep 23, 2012
    Simply awesome! For those of us who have played the original Torchlight, this game is everything we wanted in a sequel. More towns, expansive maps, tons of loot, fluid and gorgeous graphics .. what more do you want. I don't own Diablo III and I have no plays on purchasing it either. THIS is the game I've been waiting for and I'm glad Runic waited until the bugs were worked out before releasing this gem of a game. Well, I'm done with my review and am now getting ready for more Torchlight fun :) Expand
  15. Sep 23, 2012
    The difference to Diablo 3 is staggering. Where Diablo 3 did about anything they could to annoy me (their servers didn't work for several days for me upon release so I couldn't even play, the stupid health globes, the weird elites with lasers and walls and whatnot, the gold pickup radius, the lack of content, the crafting, the shop interface, the AH, ... I could go on for a long time...) - Torchlight II did everything to allow me to enjoy playing the game. And enjoying it a lot I do. Really, those two games couldn't be more different in all the little details. I gave D3 0/10 back then in rage... TL2 easily deserves 10/10. Expand
  16. Sep 23, 2012
    I have to say this game is really well made. Torch2 runs very smooth and although I'm not a fan of the cartoony art style it is still a beautiful looking game. The loot system seems to crank out an endless stream of attractive and useful gear. The music creates a great mood for dungeon crawling and monster hunting. The skill trees seem to be pretty diverse by adding cool new powers or augmenting existing ones for your character. The biggest improvments to this game over the first one is the open world and co-op/multi support. The original game although enjoyable left me feeling limited to the one town. In Torch2 you now have sprawling zones overflowing with baddies, loot, and side quests to really make this a great game. The power fx are also pretty good without being overdone and obnoxious. I am not comparing this game to any "other" title except Runic's previous title, so I am coming in to this unbiased. With a price tag of $20, loads of content, and the developers attention to detail this game easily ranks top marks in my book...10/10 can't beat this bargain. Expand
  17. Sep 23, 2012
    This game is just...fun. It has an open world, big variety of environments and enemies, interesting classes and skills and so much more. It's bigger and better than the first game, and most importantly...it has multiplayer. It's just a good, solid ARPG, and any fans of the genre will surely love it.
  18. Sep 23, 2012
    The game is just the perfect buck for you money out there. It almost feels too cheap... There are not many things to say.. 1. TL2 has SINGLE-HANDEDLY the best Stat distribution system in any aRPG i ve played. 2. Skill system is a huge improvement from TL1. 3. Graphs I like. I know many people don't like them, but I like the cartoonish graphs.. And when Texture mods are out, it wil be better..

No point in comparing this to d2. It's like every aRPG is a copy of the diablo series.. PoE is a cheap copy, Loki is a copy, Titan Quest is.. It's the same with comparing GW2 and generally every other MMO to WoW..

The only REAL problem with the game is its responsiveness. At some points it feels stiff but that really doesn't break anything.. There will be a patch fixing it soon I guess..
  19. Sep 23, 2012
    First of all if you like Action RPGs or if you already liked torchlight 1 the game is a no-brainer. The soundtrack and improved game play are also very addicting. The art style depends on personal taste and it is cartoon-ish but it does not feel out of place and is well made. All in all the game is one of the best Action RPGs released in the last years.
    So why did I choose a score of 9?
    It is the story which bothers me. While other games have some epic moments or have sudden twists the story of Torchlight 2 is just an excuse to get the player through three acts which is not that bad because everything else in the game is really well made and you soon forget about the weak story as soon as you enter the next dungeon to get more loot and experience points. Expand
  20. Sep 23, 2012
    Well, this is pretty much what I wanted Diablo 3 to be.
    Fun fast paced gameplay. Awesome loot system. Offline and online play. Interesting and versatile classes.
    Everything you could want from an ARPG can be found in TL2 and then some.

So, if Runic can deliver us this amazing game for 20$ why can't Blizzard make something remotely interesting for 60$?
  21. Sep 23, 2012
    Only played a few hours as a Engineer but this is an outstanding action RPG experience. So much customization even at these early stages. It is hard to appreciate just how bad Diablo 3 is without playing this game.
  22. Sep 23, 2012
    This game is pure ARPG bliss. I have enjoyed every second of it's massive outdoor areas, pitch perfect loot system, challenging bosses, awesome skills and weapons, and fun quests. Exploration is enjoyable and rewarded, the enemies look great and are fun to fight, and the environments are gorgeous and SO HUGE. They are filled with all sorts of secrets and mysteries to be revealed. There is always another quest or elite mob around the corner. Every second of this game has been well worth the modest $20 dollar price tag. These developers have listened to player feedback on the forums every step through the beta and the result as been a game that delivers near euphoric amounts of fun. I'll be playing this game for years to come. Can't wait for the first bit of free DLC they put out. Expand
  23. Sep 22, 2012
    A true spiritual successor to Diablo 2, Torchlight 2 has taken the classic ARPG formula and not only improved but innovated as well. Overall an amazing game that has MASSIVELY improved on the first one. For $20 this is a game that is a DEFINITE BUY. PERFECT DUNGEON CRAWL With four different classes at your disposal and several pets to choose from, the replayability of this game is quite amazing. Each class has its own set spells and unlike Torchlight 1, the classes don't share any skills. What does this mean for you? A plethora of customization options! You could opt to play an Engineer as a unstoppable tank, or a support with many bots and gadgets at your disposal, or a hammer wielding hero that destroys anything in its path. The choices and builds you can make are endless. On the top of my head, I can already think of FIVE, yes FIVE, different builds for the Engineer that are not only viable but fun as well and I'm sure there's other people who've thought of builds I haven't consider yet. What can you expect from each class? You can expect no less than five different ways to play. The world is very open and beautiful. It rotates from grass levels, to snow, to desert and all around beautiful combined with great musical pieces. Another aspect of the game that is fantastic is the fact that the boss fights are VERY FUN and ENGAGING. Co-op is simply fantastic. You can play with 5 of your friends or random people and crawl through the toughest dungeons, with each person using their class in a different way, this is bound to be fun for everyone. The loot is fantastic, there's so much of it its great and you get a feel of SATISFACTION each time you get a piece. There's also mods mods mods. Really there's so much great about this game Expand
  24. Sep 22, 2012
    Been waiting for the follow up on Diablo 2 and I finally have it! The game is exactly what you expect for a hack & slash game (what Diablo 3 should have been => Fun!) Didn't get a 10 only because the mutli-player interface/game play needs some work. You will definitely get your $20 out of this game. Can't wait to see future projects from this company.
  25. Sep 22, 2012
    Furiously clicking on things has never been better. YES VIDEO GAMES PLAYING IS GLORIOUS FREEDOM. TORCHFIRE 2 IS GAME OF THE YEAR EVERY YEAR FROM TIME IMMEMORIAL TO THE END OF ALL DAYS
  26. Sep 22, 2012
    Torchlight II is a aRPG brought to us by Runic Games, and for most of the negative reviews on here should know were former Blizzard North employees. Which means they were the creators of Diablo/Diablo II. This is not a "Diablo clone". Torchlight II is anything but, and in my opinion Blizzard should really stop and take notes on Torchlight II about everything that should have been in the atrocity, payoff on the name that was, and never should have been called Diablo III. Now that that's out of the way. Onto Torchlight II.

I'll start with the good. The soundtrack, by Matt Uelmen is nothing short of a masterpiece. Its rich, moody, and full of life. Runic Games have released it for a free download and I have been listening to it non-stop since. There isn't anything else to say but how well its written. There is nothing bad about the soundtrack whatsoever. I swear if I close my eyes and listen to it, I'm playing a *real* Diablo game.

The attributes, and skill points really add into the depth of how you want to play your character, not like other games that add points automatically. I like the challenge of sitting there second guessing about how or what I should build my character like. Its makes each character you create unique and special.

The loot is also great. If I could show you hours I spent in my inventory looking at loot to what I should be wearing it would rival my actual playing time. The amount of items you can get, from anything, monsters, quests, shops all make you stop and look at it. Borderlands 2 gets the record for most guns. Torchlight II should get the record for most loot.

Now, this isn't necessarily the *bad* its just things I think could have been better.

The graphics, as great of an art style they are just dont do it for me personally. I can stand to play it for hours, I just feel like to many games are learning in this direction. That WoW style cartoon graphics turns me off, but in its own way it works for Torchlight II.

The skills are plentiful, but quickly become boring quickly. I get mobbed and I find I'm still battling enemies mano a mano instead of tearing through them will fun AoE skills. I've been mainly using my same skills that I chose from the beginning and haven't really found those skills that get me excited to get to. Like a barb in Diablo II waiting to get to level 30 for whirlwind. Although there are lots for each class they don't seem all that interesting in their own right.

And finally, in my opinion the worst aspect of the game. The voice acting. I swear if I could keep a straight face while talking to the guardian of war it was a miracle. Most of the voice acting wasn't that great and sounded either way to produced, or not produced enough(sounds crazy, but its the best way to explain it). It sounded like they recorded them in someones bedroom. Diablo III does have one thing over Torchlight II and that's the voice acting.

All in all, every game like this will get compared to the Diablo series because they were the best. Don't get me wrong I *am* a blizzard fan, but Torchlight II really feels more at home and closer to the game I played back in 2000 than Diablo III ever did. I mean, the meta score speaks for itself. If anyone wants to feel a breath of nostalgia from their wasted childhood farming for loot like I did in Diablo II, than Torchlight II is the game for you.
  27. Sep 22, 2012
    please don't look at this as some diablo clone it has similarities but thats because some members of the development team worked at blizzard north they worked on diablo 1 and 2 but other then that this game is amazing especially for the sweet deal of 20 dollars!!!!yes!only 20 dollars i reccomend you buy this and they're releasing a mod tool and the creator of torchlight even encouraged people to remake diablo 2 using the mod tool this will pro long the games life immensely and also the graphics are great and gameplay is smooth the loot system is rewarding i doubt this game will dissapoint you if you're an ARPG fan so please go out and buy this!oh and also it has 6 player online co-op single player and LAN and also no real money auction house LOL Expand
  28. Sep 22, 2012
    This game is wonderful and perfect in every single way, I am truly amazed by how much the things improved after the first part, the multiplayer is the real thing to add. I'd like to "resolve" a few rather stupid comments I saw in reviews, which are: The game is not easy, don't be a weakling and play the game at Veteran or even harder, then come tell people that it's too easy. Also, no, Diablo 3 is absolutely pure crap compared to this title, and the negative reviews it received was from hardcore Diablo/Diablo 2 fans, while the brainless hipsters keep upvoting an obvious failure of a game. You can't even play D3 offline, for christ sakes, don't come talking it's better than Torchlight.
    Uninstall Diablo 3, and buy and play a game that wasn't built and developed purely for ripping people off for more and more money.
  29. Sep 22, 2012
    Just great. That's all I wanted from a hack'n slay. Multiplayer mode is just awesome. And it's open for modding - I guess we can expect a lot of fun in the future... :)
  30. Sep 22, 2012
    This game is awesome. Runic Games got it right,,,,the game is just plain fun to play. Unlike Diablo 3 this game is a joy to play and it's just so much fun. After playing Diablo 3 I was so let down. I didn't think Torchlight 2 was going to be this good, but it is.
  31. Sep 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's really amazing! 10/10! This is what everyone was waiting on Diablo 3. And even more! Torchlight 2 more beautiful, more interesting, more thoughtful. And also in contrast to Diablo 3 does not require a top-end PC. This is - the best that happened to the genre aRPG Expand
  32. Sep 22, 2012
    this is everything that diablo 3 got wrong. highly recommended. best game in a very very long time. what makes it perfect is its own flaws. I'm really quite speechless. This game brought back memories of countless hours I spent on dungeon siege or nox, except it was not boring to play it, it was very challenging, and it was well designed. will not compare it to diablo 3 as that game just makes me puke. sure they changed it now so its more like torchlight II; how original. Expand
  33. Sep 22, 2012
    Amazing game!! 10 out of 10!!! The PvP is so fun to play around with and its just a really really well done game, you can tell Runic really put there hearts and soul into making this and we get to sit back and enjoy it............"throws diablo 3 in the trash"
  34. Sep 22, 2012
    After the huge let down Diablo 3 was, especially when it was obvious your are herded towards using Real Money to finish the game, either that or 100's of borring, tedius hours farming the same area. Not to mention no stats; no skill points; and not even letting your character's name show (only your "bar code" shows, talk about a corporate thing to do). Torchlight II is everything D3 should have been. 1/3rd the price and 30 times more fun. :)

You can tell is was made by gamers, for gamers, not by CEOs like D3 was.
  35. Sep 22, 2012
    Torchlight 2 is a vast improvement over the already impressive, if flawed, first game. Multiplayer is its most important feature by far and its raison d'être; setting up a game with friends is easy peasy. Weapons types available are more interesting, uniques and sets are more numerous and more useful, and loot in general feels more satisfying. Game mechanics have received some tweaks, character stats available through the character screen are more clear and much more exposed. Each class has MANY more unique skills at its disposal, and most skills scale well with gear stats or bonuses so you don't have the many "dud" skills of the first game. :) Torchlight 2 is a cleaner, visibly more refined, bigger and badder Torchlight and is what the original game deserved to be. Runic hit the nail square on the head with this one. Expand
  36. Sep 22, 2012
    This game is absolutely brilliant, I enjoy it very much, however it crashed earlier when I quit an online game and it made my monitor go black and I had to reset my PC. When I got back on all my data was gone. I wanted to start over anyway but if this happens on my new character I will be very upset.
  37. Sep 22, 2012
    I'm a long time Diablo player, from chapter 1, to chapter 3, and I've played the first Torchlight as well. Believe me when i say that this is really the spiritual heir of Diablo 1 and 2. The only reason i don't give this jewel a 10/10 is the graphical compartment, that honestly could ba a little better and a little more "dark". Well spent 20 bucks!
  38. Sep 22, 2012
    Not only this game has more depth and content than Diablo 3 in every way possible, but it also has mod tools and you can play offline singleplayer...For only 20 euros. One of the best games this year
  39. Sep 22, 2012
    Torchlight 2 is the new Diablo 3. Like many, I was disappointed by Diablo III but Torchlight 2 has officially got me back into hack 'n slash games. This game is what I dreamed Diablo III was going to be like. This game has no reason to get a negative score... The loot system is amazing.

Looking for a cheap hack 'n slash game? Purchase this game.. You will not be disappointed.
  40. Sep 22, 2012
    I'm quite proud to say that this is the only ARPG that does and will have me continually coming back. During classes I would be anticipating getting out just so I could play in between them and after the day had ended. Now that the weekend is here, I have found myself playing nearly all day.

Apart from its highly addictive quality for someone who has never really been addicted to
    ARPGs, Runic simply did EVERYTHING else right! Attack animations are beautiful along with the environment (the randomization in this game is GREAT) and creature design. The pacing at which everything is done is fantastic as you move at a blazing pace through the world in a way that does not make the game feel rushed, only action packed. Spells firing in a splendor of just-the-right-amount-of-color-ridden awesomeness makes you really feel like you're accomplishing some feats of strength!

And how about that LOOT! Itemization in this game is entirely stupendous. At level 3 I was already having to debate a decision between two items. So many of the items feel very useful and viable in some way. The rate at which yellow rare items (uniques) drop is just right so far. Just long enough between intervals to where you're hoping for one yet not long enough to where you want to give up. Then there's the rush about whether or not when you identify that it will be useful for your class. I've found that if a unique is not what my current char needs, then it usually is useful for one of my others. Items have very interesting affixes as well.

Difficulty has been ramped up since the first game. Unfortunately the only way to accurately judge if you've chosen the right difficulty is to get to the very last of A1/ beginning of A2 as that is a much more accurate representation of what you will be facing for your difficulty choice. I thought veteran was going to be just barely too easy. . . and then Act II came and put up quite the challenge (possibly even a bit too much for me!)

The polish time spent on this game that pushed the date back was well worth it. So far, in terms of a patch wish list, the only thing I can think that I would want is just a few ui additions (which can also be easily modded, another great feature for the game's longevity). There's nothing wrong with the UI that is there, but a few cool additions would be neat. Not an improvement to other features, but additions of new ones.

Overall, runic really outdid themselves. There is a reason why this game is getting such grand scores from metacritic and professional reviewers. . . and it's because it rocks...real hard. While the game is worth a 60$ price tag you can essentially steal it for the price of 20$!! Wow! For a wonderful little 'box' of fun, just go and buy it! You will not regret it. :)

[And remember, you can like both Diablo III and Torchlight 2! ;) Even though I do prefer TL2 significantly more, these games can live in peace with each other!]
  41. Sep 22, 2012
    This game is pure gold. Awesome, dynamic and exciting combat, tons of options with skills and items, enormous locations. By the way, locations are way ahead of those in Torchlight 1, more beautiful and detailed not just a bunch of square rooms. Also there is some unique stuff going on in some locations, so Runic made a huge improvement on the game world. So, Torchlight 2 is superb, and even if you happen to dislike something about it then you can wait for some cool mods to appear. Expand
  42. Sep 22, 2012
    + its runic, + theres a demo (and its a decent one), + interesting classes, + great loot, + pets, + replayability, + no drm, + $20!! (THANK you for NOT jumping on the stupid $60 bandwagon), + its on steam, + moddable!, + no internet required... - ummmm.... I had to stop playing to go to work. This game focuses on FUN, not soaking players. Blizzard could learn a lot from this game and Guild Wars 2, which are going to eat Blizzard's lunch. Expand
  43. Sep 22, 2012
    This game embarrasses Diablo 3 on every level. For starters it's actually fun. Offline single player, actually fun loot drops, more interesting skill system, less annoying mechanics, etc. Yet it's only $20.
  44. Sep 22, 2012
    Before I give you my honest opinion about TL 2 I would like to say that so far I have played almost all ARPG from the days of Diablo 1, including mods. That being said I think I will have fair comparing references at least how I experience them.

Also I would like to point out that atm my highest char is Outlander lvl. 38 and just finished act 2, so my review will lack fair
    judgment about end game, but considering the fact that in the near future there will be released powerful modding tool end game will become "endless". If I can compare original D2 and LoD with mods that were made for that game, I would say that mods easily and clearly was far better than original some with 100x more crafting recipes new skills , new bosses, new maps new sets new runes and new unique items.

So I do not have any doubt that some mods would expand TL2 far beyond where it is now.

But let me explain to you why I gave score 10. (Although to be fair right score would be 9.7 but there were no option for be more precise )
    Game balance so far- almost perfect. Playing on Normal and although start of game felt rather easy, later on you still can die if you are not investing in better armor or defensive skills.
    For those that feel like Normal is to easy, there are two stronger difficulties that one could choose from the very beginning.

Actions you perform on keyboard and reactions-results on screen feels just right.
    Light effects and dead animations are impressive and if you are playing alone or in team of two it may be just right amount of those. To be fair I can imagine that with 5-6 ppl all casting-using skills spells all light show may become a little to much.

Crafting system so far feels simple and rewarding.
    Maps are neither to big or to small and never boring. And randomization works quite well.
    Graphic is quite simple and "cartoon-ish" and to be fair graphically D3 feels much more rich.
    However, most of the peoples agree that game-play is most important and TL 2 have very solid one.

Customization of skill builds are great and will add to replayability.
    Music - master pieces
    Price - very cheep for what you get

However TL 2 is not the best game for peoples that want total respeccing ( although as soon Modding tool is out day after it will be some respeccing potion I guess ).
    Neither this game is for people that would like to play with game economy , like AH and real money.
    Also players that like to be the only one who got the biggest sword in the game and to show it proudly off around may find that TL 2 is not best for them.

But for all others that enjoy hack and slash and at the same time like to have have a lot of shiny loot, who like crafting and building different class builds I would definitely recommend TL2.
    Although game is not revolutionary it is rather "old school" at it's best.

Considering that Tl 2 was made in 2,5 year and only from team made of30 ppl it is nothing short of impressive.

For truly ARPG fans, don't miss TL 2 is IMHO one of best ARPG ever
  45. Sep 22, 2012
    I thought the break-away from the 'realistic' graphic style was going to detract from my experience. But the level of details they went into in this game, combined with the successful models for loot and dungeon randomization, results in a worthy sequel and a good, solid ARPG that makes the loot grind worth it. Get it. Got it? Good.
  46. Sep 22, 2012
    As someone who played D3 and loves the franchise...lets take a moment and not compare the two, which is what a majority of the people are doing. Lets look at T2 as it's own entity, which is exactly what it is.

Frankly, the game is fun. Serious? Not really. Competitive? Not really. But if you're looking for another 20 dollar game that you can play with your friends for hours on end, then
    good luck.

I mean, for its price, it's moronic to give the game anything less then a 7, it doesn't dissapoint. The amount of sheet content is flabbergasting for a 20 dollar game, not to mention its future modding capabilities which gives you limitless additions to the game. It's a breath of fresh air in today's gaming world.

As said earlier, the game is flat out fun. The elites are challenging and rewarding to kill and a large focus of the game is to enter dungeons and kill the main boss in there, thus rewarding you with a large supply of loot at the end. In the end, that's what a dungeon crawler is all about, crawling through dungeons and getting awesome rewards.

Challenging? Oh my yes. This really isn't the best solo game, if you have no friends then go join a game with REAL people and make some. I play with 2 of my friends, soon to be a full party of 4, playing on veteran. We are only at about lvl 20 at the moment but there are many times we have to be strategic so that we don't completely wipe during a dungeon. Last night we spent a good hour theory crafting our builds so that we weren't so squishy. Yes, it is cartoonie, but that's the style, if you don't like it then don't get the game.

Did I say that there was a lot of content? I have played the first act about 3 times now and although the concept of ares is the same (same dungeons same quests) the areas I find them in and the paths to traverse through them are vastly different. I could go on and on about how much I enjoy the game but to be honest, you need to try it for yourself. The game is only 20 friggilin dollars and I bet you will get at LEAST 100+ hours on it, more then likely way more. Also 20 bucks that all of your (very picky friends) will all play with you is hard to find. In fact I purchased the 4 pack of T2 for 60 bucks and my friends just paid me the difference. A game all your friends can play on different computers for the price of one Xbox game, it's insanity.

Try it, you have very little to lose. You get a game that you can play multiplayer, online, offline and modded. If you love RPGs and dungeon crawlers you have to give it a shot.
  47. Sep 22, 2012
    Torchlight II has been a long awaited, fulfilling and not stop action packed game. I could say it gets better with age because as you level you find yourself becoming more and more amazed at the variances in loot, monsters and skills that become available to you. Runic games deserves a standing ovation for this incredible work of art that I cannot stop playing.
  48. Sep 22, 2012
    Awesome game. Love the gameplay and the loot system. Is a must have if you love ARPG type games. High paced and no boring grind fest like Diablo 3.... In Torchlight 2 you actually play for fun, not to grind 10m gold to attempt to bid on 1 slightly better item...
  49. Sep 22, 2012
    Really a fantastic game. It's funny, it's deep contrary to what some people say just to bash it, it's full or surprises, it's big, it's cheap in price but not in features.
  50. Sep 22, 2012
    ive enojyed this game more in the first 30 minutes than i did Diablo 3 up to the skeleton King in the guest pass.

Pros :>Offline mode (no need to worry about if your net goes down, your safe) :>Character personalisation that has consequences , so the game is replayable multiple times, not just once and youve seen it all like Diablo 3. :> Lagg free :> character
    classes and loot are perfectly balanced :> PVP straight away,, no need to wait for a year :> Pets are so much fun and fishing is a great little side thing to do, now theres more pets :> 30+ hours just in 1 play through....that is awesome. Seriously there isnt many cons.

Diablo 3 is cartoony anyway. So for those that want more Diablo 2 gameplay , offline mode and consequences for your actions, get this. If you like everything on a plate for you and boring replayability and loot whoring only, get Diablo 3. But this game trumps Diablo 3 in so many ways just in gameplay standards and its innovative in good ways not accessible, user friendly ways.. People **** that its cartoony, Diablo 3 is ALSO cartoony. One of the reasons i was PISSED off with Diablo 3 is because it was cartoony. Hopefully Runic games decides to make the next adult ARPG and this time make it realistic graphics like Diablo 2 and make an Adult ARPG that wows us. So far i dont see any faults in this game.
  51. Sep 22, 2012
    I'm personally not a big fan of cartoony graphics style, but with the great gameplay it is easily overlooked and highly recommended. Not to mention the value is much greater than $20! Well worth playing, all 4 classes are really fun thus far (I'm in the teens in level on all 4). Then I'm looking forward to the replayability in the future through the mods!
  52. Sep 22, 2012
    Torchlight 2 is a wonderful game. The environments are beautiful, music is phenomenal, game play is fantastic, and the loot is nothing short of amazing. You can definitely see the level of polish Runic put on this product before shipping. My wife and I have played approximately 10 hours of LAN play together (thank you or the LAN option!) and we are have a great time together. I would recommend this game to anyone who is a ARPG/dungeon crawler fan. You don't want to miss this one. Expand
  53. Sep 22, 2012
    While not perfect, it's not far from it, excellent side quests, great game-play and in depth character customisation. And when the inevitable Diablo 3 comparison comes up Torchlight 2 wins over in many, many ways. Not hard to see why it sells so well, Item system bares note in that it can be a little confusing at first and the story is a little odd so far, but still one of the best games so far this year. Expand
  54. Sep 22, 2012
    I was really worried about this game because it was getting so much hype, just like diablo 3 and you saw what happened to diablo...As well as the graphics being an alternative cartoony style which can be an indicator that the game creators are just lazy. But i was pretty dam wrong. Hell i think im just going to do what everyone else has done and compare it to diablo 3. The combat is great, monsters are very satisfying to kill, like in diablo 3 except in torchlight you now actually have a hope of getting good loot! Unlike diablo 3 where even after you killed a major boss at the end of the chapter, which would usually be a massive demon, the highest you could hope for was a slightly rare item which likely wont be as good as your common item....Torchlight also uses the classic skill tree, where you simply spend point to increase abilities, stats giving you're character some uniqueness, again unlike diablo where every barbarian is identical. So do get it if you like dungeon crawlers, would give it 10 but I have only played one class and not even for that long. And as others have said don't worry about the negative reviews there simply diablo fan boys, just read their reviews its pretty clear. Expand
  55. Sep 22, 2012
    Top game. I give it a 10 because all those Blizzard fans, who think Blizzard still even cares to continue the Dialbo 1-2 ideology with Diablo 3, gave this game negative critics. This game has a lot of effort behind it, developers are genuine and they have considered a lot of stuff for us fans, not for their pocket like the guys at Blizzard. A game is only as good as its developers value their player base and TL series is certainly in this good categorie, opposite of money hungry Blizzard. If I had the money I would even buy 10-15 copies of this game and send them to my friends! I am an avid ARPG fan who has been playing RPGs for 10 years. Expand
  56. Sep 22, 2012
    I recommend this game for everyone, who like hack and slash. There are not so many similar games, and only few are made with such love and quality. Pure action, tons of loot, good randomizer, amazing soundtrack, four different classes with several different builds, co-op, new game +... for 20$! If you are still reading this, instead of buying TL2, then you have no conscience or you just don't like ARPG. Expand
  57. Sep 22, 2012
    I've played every Blizzard title, and I'm very impressed with this small group of indie developers and some Ex-Blizz North employees. From the music to the levels, bosses and character customization a true gem and worth EVERY penny.
  58. Sep 22, 2012
    This game is why we love Runic.. (release day the servers were swamped and people flip out over nothing) It truly does Torchlight justice.. they took everything that was awesome and added the things all the fans asked for (coop/multi being one) making it what has to be the best game i purchased this year hands down. Runic shasres the love and not the greed for 20 bucks you simply cannot beat it.
    TY Runic.. and to any fans of Torchlight or even Fate.. if you have'nt purchased it yet your missing an award winning rpg that has nailed it.
  59. Sep 22, 2012
    Torchlight 2 shows where the talent from Blizzard North really ended up. Graphics are clean and fluid. Gameplay is challenging and satisfying from the first hour and the loot hunt will keep you coming back. Torchlight 2 understands that the loot is the main focus of this genre and oh, have they delivered. Don't be a fool, buy this game now if you consider yourself a fan of ARPGs.
  60. Sep 22, 2012
    20 dollars for a game that will provide hundreds of hours of fun. Sounds like a good deal to me. They took everything that was great in D2 and Torchlight and added to it. If only D3 would have done this. Great job Runic! ignore other reviews saying "this game is too easy." I've been playing on ELITE with a berserker and it is very hard.
  61. Sep 21, 2012
    Really wish I didn't waste my money on Diablo III; Blizzard is dead and this game shows exactly what an ARPG should be like. No AH/RMAH gives this game an actual reward for playing. To Blizzard: Screw you.
  62. Sep 21, 2012
    Loot that you can actually use. Offline mode. Writing that isn't so bad its painful and you wonder how the writer kept his job. Fun bosses. Replay value. A great price. Doesn't butcher the universe made by previous entries. It just washes the bad taste of that other game right out of your mouth.
  63. Sep 21, 2012
    It's just easy to say: That should have been in Diablo 3. All we loved in Diablo 2 is here in this game. Sure, graphics are more or less the same like in Torchlight 1, but who cares? Everybody, and i mean: Really everybody should be able to run this masterpiece. You don't need an hyper-pc to play, no. Runic made it playable for us all.

Just a quick summary: Runic aka ex Blizzard North:
    You did all right! Sorry, can't write more - have to do some quests & hunting for better loot. Expand
  64. Sep 21, 2012
    Everybody knows Super Mario Bros. is a copy of Pitfall. Call of Duty series are obvious a rip off from Wolfenstein 3D, and surely Torchlight is just a cartoonish diablo, isn't it? /sarcasm

The game is really great to what it proposes to do. It's not as immersive, dark and deep as Diablo 3. Runic staff according to the credits are just around 50 people, but they achieved a new level
    designing this game, that is comparable to the 12min. credits staff from D3.

The game is good, but not perfect. High replayability, I finished once and I'm planning to do more 4 or 5 times because the game offers multiple biuldings and the player itself controls when and where the points os Ex should be distributed. No need to be online 100% of the time. Runs on netbooks and cheap computers. It's way better than its predecessor, multiple sidequests, wide areas to explore and great Boss fights.

Don't expect a complicated game with a deep story. That's the big flaw I found, the story is way to simple. If you just focus on loot and hack´n slash you will really enjoy the game. The cartoonish graphics may frustrate some people who thinks a good game is made of realism. But, to me it fits perfect to the series and they make the game run even on calculators because they are really light.

The variety of mods it may have will probably increase the replay. And... Multiplayer online certainly is nice. The only problem is that the players must have a balanced level. 4 levels hight or lower may cause trouble because the changes on enemies stats by level is considerable.

Its good and is not a rip off. The atmosphere, pet system, fishing, classes and weapons types are way different from other similar action RPGs. It's not a Katamary Damacy when it comes to originality, but is really different . Flaws are the shallow history and the small box to store shared goods between characters (it should have twice the size IMO).
  65. Sep 21, 2012
    This is the quality dungeon crawler I was expecting from a certain other company..... T2 doesn't deviate too far from the sucessful recipe of the first. The scope of the missions and environments are broader and has a bit more polish. Well worth 20 bucks. If I knew then what I know now, I would have bypassed the whole Blizzard mess and stuck with Runic exclusively. It's a win.
  66. Sep 21, 2012
    My experience with games of this type runs deep in my blood. I enjoyed diablo and diablo 2 thoroughly during my childhood and then again during high school years. I went as far as to buy diablo 3 on release day. Well I consider this time pretty much wasted. I finished diablo 3 on normal difficulty and there was no real incentive for me to sink in more hours, since I felt that slaughtering all those beasts wasn't worth it. Diablo 3 is a dumb down game for the masses and people who never experienced these kind of games. Torchlight 2 on other hand is one of those game that you feel the climate I would say similar to diablo 1 despite its cartoony graphics. Since I fired the game I played until I got to lv20 and had 4hr of sleep left before work:D. I would say it was worth it. While diablo 3 disappointed me in all areas torchlight 2 rose and nailed my expectations and then some. Seriously I would buy it for twice as much. Since $20 is nothing compared to paying $60 for diablo 3 which I wont touch ever again. Expand
  67. Sep 21, 2012
    The ARPG is alive and well with Runic games. They understand what fans of the genre want. They aren't hell bent on draining their customer's pockets dry. During the TL2 development process I was kept aware of all the bells and whistles that were going to be in the game. I kept a level head because I knew that based on that other game that came out in May, that promises aren't always kept. Needless to say I was quite pleased with the final product. It's everything I was hoping for in an ARPG.

PROS: Customizable characters that don't feel like clones of other players
    A huge open world to explore
    A great music score
    Skill tress that actually offer usefull skills
    Character level cap at 100
    Local or online multiplayer
    $20 price tag

CONS:

I've experienced some choppy game play here and there but it could very well be my PC
    Normal mode tends to be too easy but if you've played TL1 then you know what to expect
    Only 4 classes
  68. Sep 21, 2012
    Runic Games are the blue collar developers of this generation, they care about the consumer and want to make the best games possible, profits are the least of their concerns and it shows. Torchlight II is incredibly good value for money as you will easily enjoy it regardless of who you are. It offers many versatile experiences and endless potential to waste hours and hours into. If your going to buy one game this year, make sure it is this. Everyone seems to be comparing it to Diablo 3, which is stupid as this game had less than 40 people working on it compared to over 1,000 at Blizzard. It had a budget of less than $10,000,000 compared to Diablo's $100,000,000, it was under development for 24 months compared to Diablo; which was under development for 72 months. Torchlight offers much, much more content with infinite possibilities for a 3rd of the price. It would rate higher if it supported better graphical options. Expand
  69. Sep 21, 2012
    With all the new things added, this is a very worthy sequel to Torchlight and the true spiritual successor of Diablo. Nothing beats charging the Charge Bar, killing a Boss with it and swimming in its loot afterwards.
  70. Sep 21, 2012
    Basically this game does many things right which the 2nd blockbuster successor of that game which this genre owes existence has failed to deliver on many levels. Even though you will inevitably find some quirks they are not going to become a fundamental game-stopper. It runs smoothly in single-player mode, there is useful loot to be found without having to give a jealous glance at some item shop your game is balanced around, there is no need to bore yourself through three rounds of easy mode before finally meeting a challenge as you can pick your appropriate difficulty mode from start, there's modding support and lastly and most importantly the game sticks to the guns and doesn't try to marry with MMO mechanics. What this means is also that there are no silly balancing efforts as well as other deterrents not adding to gameplay. Matt Uelmen's soundtrack adds perfectly well to the atmosphere, the sound is crispy and if you don't mind comic-style graphics and nonsensical story which does at least not try to take itself as serious and impose itself on the player then you can't go wrong with this game. Expand
  71. Sep 21, 2012
    A fabulous game made by (as said by Jay Wilson of Diablo3 / blizzard) a loser who made Diablo 1 and 2. Thanks you Runic games it's how a hack n slash must be. Not like that Big failure named Diablo 3. Hey Jay Wilson just phone Runic game for learning how to make a good hack n slash thanks.
  72. Sep 21, 2012
    Torchlight 2 has finally arrived and we can put the Torchlight 2 versus Diablo 3 debate to rest... The verdict? Torchlight 2 wins hands-down!

Torchlight 2 is wonderful and deserves much praise, especially for only costing $20. One would expect Diablo 3 to be three times the game as Torchlight 2 for the asking price but that isn't the case, at all. If anything, Diablo 3 could learn
    quite a bit from Torchlight 2 (such as the awesome loot progression, offline play availability, LAN and mod support).

Torchlight 2 has been an entirely bug-free experience for me thus far (unlike Diablo 3's launch-- which was one of the worst I've ever experienced despite probably having one-thousand times the budget of Torchlight 2) and the game plays amazingly smooth. The battles can be epic (unlike Diablo 3's battles which usually amounted to rock, paper, scissors excercises of frustration depending on RNG) and choices actually matter.

If I had to make a complaint, I'd say Torchlight 2's story is fairly weak (Diablo 3's was as well-- laughably so, actually). About the only thing I can imagine that Diablo 3 has over Torchlight 2 that I noticed was the destructible environments. The art style is kind of a matter of preference I've found. I personally like Torchlight 2's style but can understand if some people don't (probably the same people who would willing bypass a great game like Borderlands 2 because it doesn't look like Battlefield 3-- aka, "their loss").

I would fully recommend Torchlight 2 to anyone that loves ARPG's and even if you're kind of on the edge or not sure if you'd like them or not, Torchlight 2 is probably the best, contemporary example of how one should be.
  73. Sep 21, 2012
    I'm just a simple factory worker guy, I play games as my escape, I'm sure you do too. This game has done a lot for me. It has restored my faith in the game developer, it has provided entertainment, and it has provided a chance for some 'good times' with friends. If I could put it more simply, I'd say this is a D3 killer, but no one would believe me. I agree, people will view this game harshly simply because they are obsessed with a specific franchise or brand. Please keep that in mind.

If you are looking for something that's fun, this is it. 4 pack this puppy and play with friends. Gift giving season is coming!
  74. Sep 21, 2012
    Uninstall D3, this is the game you want to play. Incredible features, intuitive, awesome loot drops that are usable at the level you ARE instead of 20 levels below (which makes you feel powerful). The music score is awesome and atmospheric. This game is about the player, and having fun, and is not burdened by a childishly simple, boring, and depressing storyline that kills everything likable (like D3; I got to level 39 and just couldn't play anymore because the story is so bad I just couldn't bear to go through it all again). Blizzard makes you use their AH and designed the game around the AH instead of the player. The only point that Blizzard surpassed T2 is in the graphics (I also prefer the darker tone). I amazed that the developers got this so right, when Blizzard fumbled SO bad, in 1/6 the development time (2 years vs 12). Blizzard should hire these guys back to make the XP for D3. Expand
  75. Sep 21, 2012
    This game makes efforts at improving a genre which was in a bit of a lull. Playing the beta really excited me because of the nostalgic feel of ARPGs and obvious features that made classic ARPGs a hit. Torchlight 2 did not stop at the beta like some of these reviews suggest. I doubt they have played the new release or the beta for that matter. This game is fun, engaging, and challenging. Equipment is almost a limitless toolbox of tweaks for your character, and skill building provides its own enjoyment with skill tiers and multiple skill trees. Choose your skills, choose your equipment, and basically equip anything you'd like provided you have the stats. How amazing is that? The multiplayer in beta was awesome, and once it is available on the official release I know the game will be a favorite with my friends and local LAN. Very few games give the features and availability to play on slower systems. Torchlight remains stylishly impressive as far as visuals are concerned while maintaining support for older and underpowered PCs. $20? Massive compatibility for smooth game-play? LAN? These options and the options I have listed with respect to character progression are all reasons I give this game perfect marks. Expand
  76. Sep 21, 2012
    This game brings back the key components of classic ARPGs and gives them a good polish. The combat is fast-paced, heavy, and seamless. Character customization and the loot mechanics are also very well done. Coupled with the ability to support mods, this game is gearing up to be one of the most versatile games of this generation.
  77. Sep 21, 2012
    The game Diablo 3 should have been. Saw some Blizz **** drinking fanbois complaining about "bad interface" and "clunky combat". Don't know what they're on about. Must be too stupid to figure out the game. Granted, they are Blizztards.
  78. Sep 21, 2012
    This is truly a wonderful game. I am actually having fun playing this versus the endless grind and rigid, ultra simplistic game that is D3. Ton's of content and a true skill point system with none of the DRM Crap and RMAH. Thanks Runic for providing a game versus a new way to monetize gaming.
  79. Sep 21, 2012
    The progression of loot in this game is fantastic and blowing me away. By level 10 I was already completing a useful 3 piece set bonus, had a unique weapon that gained augments by killing spiders, and had actual unique useful items. Your characters can all be unique, even if they are the same class. I already made a hunter focused berserker, and now I can't wait to re-make another berserker to focus in the ice damage tree. Your decisions also hold weight, if you end up with a terrible build then you definitely won't be surviving in the harder difficulties. I love the fact that I can't just re-spec and be fine and dandy again. I feel more driven to have my character succeed because it was my own unique build and unique attributed stats, so my characters feel more personal. Pet system = amazing
    As many others have mentioned, the soundtrack is fantastic and the visuals look great. The fact that this game is only $20 makes me feel like I'm robbing Runic of such a great piece of work. Any hack n' slash fan will enjoy this game immensely.
  80. Sep 21, 2012
    I'm not a huge fan of hack and slash RPGs, but i played Titan Quest and Diablo III. Torchlight II is so good, addictive game. It will become classic game.
  81. Sep 21, 2012
    This is how sequels should be made, bigger, better, more fun to play, pay attention actizzard... The game is improved in EVER aspect that needed improving and beyond. The biggest and best things I have managed to spot so far: - no always on drm (see actizzard? it CAN be done) - LAN play! - multiplayer available - no rubberbanding, lag etc.! - no stuttering, performance issues etc. (learn from this actizzard)
    - nice looking graphics, improved from previous, a player gets a clear picture of the battlefield, i know what im attacking, no mess or confusion even in the midst of battle, unlike d3 where at certain point you would lose yourself,
    - pets! means no need to teleport back to the city to sell junk/get pots etc., unlike d3
    - 4 distinct, fun to play characters,
    - talents and stat point that YOU CAN distribute as you please, unlike in d3 where they take you for an idiot, thus you end up with a ton of cool, personal builds and approaches
    - true RANDOM maps, unlike in d3 where its just a PR BS
    - tons of loot that is actually usefull and an improvement, unlike d3 where they force you to buy from rmah
    - great music, very good sounds
    - excellent gameplay, fun to kill mobs, get loot, develop your character, quite fast leveling up make you enjoy they playthrouh
    - you can set the difficulty level from the beginning unlike d3 where i had to go through extremely easy normal, nightmare, hell to get to somewhere with challange only to go against OP mobs with ridiculous skills
    - cool mobs to fight, nice boss fights, oh and the game is actually challanging unlike d3...
    - no pony level for emo children
    - loot customization, gems, enchants, unidentified gear vendor etc.
    - short load times
    - everything work smooth, no glitches, well polished product
    - runic games delivers what was promised!
    - replay value!
    - low cost (20$ or even less) !!!
    - free soundtrack !
    - devs that listen to people
    - complex yet easily accessible game
    - noob friendly
    - hardcore mode that you can play offline, no more lag fails!!!
    - true Diablo 2 successor in the spiritual sense
    - 6 players online support
    - 3 skill trees for each character that 12 reason to go through the game at least !
    - Mod support ! which will make the game more lasting, - so much more i have missed...

To sum up, its an amazing game, absolute 10/10, the negative comments are from stupid people who fail at installing a game, setting up a normal working PC, or simply suffer from hardware compatibility issues which runic games cannot be responsible for.

INSTANT BUY for any arpg, h&s game fan :)
  82. Sep 21, 2012
    Tons of content, fun rewarding loot system, fun character and skill design and a wealth of secrets and explorable content all for $20 great work runic!
  83. Sep 21, 2012
    Made by the folks who know how to make ARPGs (D1 & D2) Torchlight 2 is the living successor to these games (unlike one which shares the same name). It keeps to the tradition of action role playing games and absolutely delivers. If you are looking for an ARPG that has a loot and game play system derived on fun rather than a real money auction house, this is the game for you.
  84. Sep 21, 2012
    I've had more fun playing this game the last two hours than I have the 300+ hours I've put into Diablo III. This game just does about everything right that Diablo III did wrong/ruined. It was quite the joyful experience being able to allocate my skill points as I pleased when I leveled up. For the first time in a long time, I had a smile on my face when playing an action RPG as opposed to Diablo III which really feels more like work and a timesink and I only smiled during the cinematics. Best of all, at 20 bucks this game is an absolute steal! AND Runic has promised not to charge for content updates :) Collapse
  85. Sep 21, 2012
    This review is for UnbiasedAndFair. I completely agree with you. I will never forget the day Blizzard stole my $60. I also agree that there are far too many positive, seemingly generic reviews on here to seem legit... Really Runic, you didn't need to do this. Either way, I've only been playing for only one day now, but truly it seems wherever D3 burned us, they got it right. The graphics are inferior, no doubt, but I would gladly trade that for the real successor to Diablo 2, and so far Torchlight II seems to come the closest to that mark. I give it a 8/10 cause few games deserve solid 10's and this game is no exception, but easily worth $19.99. Expand
  86. Sep 21, 2012
    This is the best dungeon crawler game ever. As much as I like the first Torchlight, this one is a great sequel. I've been waiting for this game since it was first revealed. It's much better than Diablo 3. Stop hating this game just because your save game was deleted for the beta. It was a beta release not the final release. Stop whining and buy the game.
  87. Sep 21, 2012
    Simply a awesome game I love it.
    i already lost 10 hours in the game.
    Runic Games as made for me the best A-RPG of history, since Diablo II.
    By far,one of the best games of the year.
  88. Sep 21, 2012
    At least it is better in every way from the original and even better than that of D3. Each class has various different paths it can go because the skills allow for various types of builds. ie. Dual Wield or 2 Handed weapons or fist weapons etc. even some skills are for specific magic elements to increase the damage of ice, lightning etc and to increase their effectiveness. The greatest part is how random each game is and how each play through will be different from the last. Making this the most valuable game in a long time. What's more is once the Torchlight 2 editor drops then there will be a ton more content to be had especially if it is anywhere close to the original. Graphics are very stylized but amazing and fun to watch. The animation is really good as well. This is by far one of the most addictive action RPGs in a long time, since D2 or even the first Torchlight. Expand
  89. Sep 21, 2012
    Torchlight 2 is far and beyond a better game/value then Diablo 3. You can mod it, you don't have to have an internet connection, and now Torchlight 2 has multiplayer! All for 20$
  90. Sep 21, 2012
    Easily my game of the year. I have waited 2 years for this, stalking the website for it to finally come out, and 10 hours in, it had not dissapointed me once. Theres TONS of content here for 20 dollars, all completely polished. On top of that, anything you don't like in the game, you can just change with mods. It's pretty close to the peak of the genre. If you are a fan of hack and slash dungeon crawlers, this is the best one since Diablo 2. Expand
  91. Sep 21, 2012
    Now this is how a dungeon crawler ARPG should be HANDS DOWN. It is everything that D3 should of been but is not.

It's a well polished game where the loot is actually viable to use. You are not just selling everything to the vendor but you find stuff that you can use and come up with different combinations for your characters like maybe an embermage that carries a gun and a shield or a
    traditional weapon like a staff or even two wands. Simple put: the itemization in the game is enormous! There are skill trees available that offer numerous different builds. For example, I started with an embermage and went all +Ice damage. But then I added some fire gear and spells and now I have a completely unique spell build that just makes me want to create another embermage to try out different combinations.

As far as the D3 comparisons go, this is what D3 should of been. It makes me wonder what this team could of done if the Diablo IP was still under their control. It's a shame on Blizzard.

Nevertheless the only thing that I am not a big fan of is the art work and bright colour scheme of the game. At first it wasn't my cup of tea per say but it actually does work well for the style of story they are presenting the customers/gamers.

It's extremely well done. The game only costs 20 bucks. There is no Auction House or Real Money Auction House. It is the standard for an ARPG and what a game should be.

Don't listen to the negative reviews. Honestly, don't. They are just hurt Blizzard employees or fan boys that are putting the game down. The number of positive reviews speaks for itself. Excellent job Runic Games! Excellent Job!!
  92. Sep 21, 2012
    A true loveletter to gamers and fans everywhere. There are no words to describe what an amazing achievement runic has here. Immensely satisfying to play, insanely addictive due to a superb loot system, actual randomised worlds and baby buttocks smooth gameplay. This 20 bucks work of art is polished to a mirrorshine and is without a doubt the new norm for ARPGs all around. Truly doesn't fail to bring back the glorious feeling of yorn ! And you can even experience that in proper single-player or in a LAN, the way it should be. Blizzard, take note. Expand
  93. Sep 21, 2012
    Torchlight 2 sharpens the hack-and-slash genre to a fine point that sticks right in the greedy eyeball of Blizzard execs. A truly fun and addictive game. Good graphics, great soundtrack, original atmosphere -- once you get the game you'll only wish you had more time to play it. This game is on par in almost every respect with Diablo 3 and is 1/3 the cost. Vote with your wallets, folks.
  94. Sep 21, 2012
    Je rejoins les avis positifs sur le jeu (pas comme ce Chocapic de Gamekult qui nous a pondu un torchon pro D3 honteux), après 6h de jeu hier soir en mode élite, une dizaine de fois mort, et le Général Grell de vaincu, (quel combat ^^) (oué 6h pour arriver là c bcp mais j'aime prendre mon temps et tout explorer jusqu'au dernier recoin de la carte ^^), il était 3h du mat quand mon engineer à pris son niveau 14, je n'ai pas vu le temps passé, signe de réussite à mon avis de la part de Runic.

Hâte de retourner sur le jeu, les loots sont cohérents (hein Blizzard), plusieurs items de set récupérés (dont un en péchant ^^), 1 set complet (le Runemaster), 2 uniques pour mon perso et moultes bleus, un phase portal, et un parchemin pour faire apparaitre le vendeur de set (pas encore activé) je suis comblé :)

Les différents boss rencontrés (ainsi que pas mal de pack) offrent vraiment un vrai challenge avec ce mode de difficultés, juste un regret sur le faite que les popos soient spammables à volontés.

En switchant entre gros canon et armes 2H l'engineer est vraiment plaisant à jouer, quel pied !
  95. Sep 21, 2012
    @ token40k a 0 really? Get your facts straight. This is not a Diablo wanna be, every member of the team that designed Diablo 1 and 2 left Blizzard and created Runic. Not a single person who created Diablo works for Blizzard, they just own the name. Diablo 3 is the wanna be now, it is a 100% Blizzard game. Torchlight is made by the original team. $60 for Diablo, beat it in 10 hours, just to go back through until you beat inferno, what a boring waste. This game is by far superior to Diablo 3, and its $20. Graphics are good, gameplay is smooth, 0 crashes or bugs so far. I like the talent tree system way better than Diablo. They also don't severely cripple how many skills you can use. Characters can be far more unique and not just another "barbarian" like Diablo 3 was. I am having way more fun with this. Too bad it won't get the publicity that Blizzard can afford to shove with their releases. Expand
  96. Sep 21, 2012
    One of the games you can't really comment on ... Why? Everything about Torchlight II is great, so no need to name things. With modding and coop added, it will be fun for years to come. And I mean real fun, not the mindless utterly boring paradoxical linear grind like in D3.
  97. Sep 21, 2012
    In fact I wasn't impatinently awaiting Torchlight 2 realese. Screenshots where not attractive to me at all but I gave it a chance as I was hoping the game to deliver and focus on fun factor... and it does excell at it. When I started the game I realized suddenly that everything is on a right place. The world looks beautiful in motion and completly sucks in! It's colorful and dynamic. Graphics may look crapy on a screenshot but after playing the game I appreciate it as it just fits in and contributes to the unique athmosphere of the game. Music, fast paced combat, great items, world rich in events complete the masterpiece. Playing a game is fun again! It's not going to be boring farming anymore as end game may focus on mods created by players. ULTIMATE FUN!!! Expand
  98. Sep 21, 2012
    Wow, game has surpassed my expectations, proper rpg, don't waste your money on D3 like I did,
    this game was made for gamers.
    -RANDOM WORLD
    -LOOT, LOOT ,LOOT.
    -NO DRM
    -OFFLINE so hardcore here I come.
  99. Sep 21, 2012
    Amazing game, i cant stop play it. Absolutly better then Diablo 3. I hope Torchlight 2 will be a "second diablo 2". And i create account on metacritic special for write this. Just love that game :)
  100. Sep 21, 2012
    Awesome awesome game from Runic. Everything that D3 could have been but never was. I would have given it 9.5 out of 10, because no game is perfect. But I can't give halves on Metacritic and TL2 doesn't deserve only 9/10 so I had to give it 10/10.

There were some launch issues, but those were resolved within 24 hours by the dedicated team from Runic Games! Even with the launch issues I
    was still able to play single-player and LAN perfectly.

The guys from Runic Games deserve all the support they can get. They are just the nicest people you will ever find developing games! They listen to what their customers say, and actually play the game and change it until it is fun!

The result is a 10/10 TL2, and the best thing is you can get it for only $20.
  101. Sep 21, 2012

Torchlight 2 offers everything an action RPG fan wants: a huge campaign, variety of enemies, a rich system of quality loot, well-balanced and fresh classes with different build options, care-free and fun multiplayer modes. [November 2012]
  2. Dec 13, 2012
    Sure, it might not reinvent the wheel as built by Diablo II over a decade ago, but Runic deserves props for perfectly recreating the formula. Many others have tried to bring their own take on Diablo to the market-and failed. Runic didn't, which makes Torchlight II an essential purchase for anyone who loves to crawl through dungeons while scoring phat loot.
  3. Nov 25, 2012
    A slick action RPG with wit and charm, this is a genuine alternative to Diablo III. [Christmas 2012, p.93]