8.6

1. Jul 22, 2014
    Better and worse that the first game in some ways. The option to explore the land above before transition between the dungeon levels gives the illusion that this more of freeroam action RPG. Nope its still a dungeon crawler above or below ground. Actually the above levels seem to be time wasters and not in a good way when backtracking through them alot. As with the first game TorchlightBetter and worse that the first game in some ways. The option to explore the land above before transition between the dungeon levels gives the illusion that this more of freeroam action RPG. Nope its still a dungeon crawler above or below ground. Actually the above levels seem to be time wasters and not in a good way when backtracking through them alot. As with the first game Torchlight this game is noob friendly. I think even if you have never experienced the genre it the most easiest and accessible it terms of controls and gameplay. That being said this game lacks depth and variety it is a really a no brainer dungeon crawler. The combat effects are far too flashy engaging mobs close quarters led to my character getting obscured too much. Sometimes I couldn't even figure out which side I was getting attacked and the safest route to retreat. So deaths can come cheap from time to time due to the amount on screen confusion. Overall Torchlight 2 feels like a cut copy and paste of Torchlight with some tweaks. Still both games are of obvious quality however the lasting appeal and worth is like any other game subjective from gamer to gamer. Expand
  2. Dec 13, 2012
    Way better than the original. Multiplayer has some issues and will require mods to fix... The devs probably think not receiving loot/exp/fame because you were dead when your friend killed a boss is a good idea. The loot system is also annoying, with everyone having their own drops client side which expands on the previous issue; you pretty much have to stick together as an aoe spamfestWay better than the original. Multiplayer has some issues and will require mods to fix... The devs probably think not receiving loot/exp/fame because you were dead when your friend killed a boss is a good idea. The loot system is also annoying, with everyone having their own drops client side which expands on the previous issue; you pretty much have to stick together as an aoe spamfest swarm in MP to play effectively. Barring the MP issues this is a fantastic and stable game. $20 for a 20 hour campaign between multiple continents and cities is well worth it, even without any friends to play with. Expand
  3. Feb 25, 2013
    This game is a huge improvement since the first one (though the first was pretty cool too!), Runic Games fixed the things that were annoying in the original. For example, they have diversified the scenery and your hero travels to different locations instead of digging the same mine in the first game. Also there are a lot of fun things to do besides the main quests: you can search forThis game is a huge improvement since the first one (though the first was pretty cool too!), Runic Games fixed the things that were annoying in the original. For example, they have diversified the scenery and your hero travels to different locations instead of digging the same mine in the first game. Also there are a lot of fun things to do besides the main quests: you can search for secrets, kill unique champion monsters or scan the maps for side quests. But of course the main step forward is adding multiplayer COOP. Awesome! Comparing to D3: YES, T2 is better! It's just more fun to play, more addictive. The only thing in which D3 is better is storyline/cinematics, it's just more epic and dramatic. Expand
  4. Oct 20, 2013
    It has tons of loot. It has great classes with great skill trees, making this game have many different ways to play in, resulting in a high replay value.

It has 4 different difficulty levels. And if you finish the game, you get access to the mapworks, where you can buy new maps and finish them. You can also access the New Game+, where you start the entire game all over again, but with keeping all your acquired stats and items. That's a really cool feature.

The environments are varied between deserts, forests, underground mines. The dungeons are impressive, with exciting boss fights as well. Visually, the game's good enough, although the graphics were not very detailed.

Perhaps the only thing that kept this game from being amazing was the plot. It didn't really engage me in any ways. Same thing for the characters.
  5. Mar 27, 2014
    Nice game but pretty average (Played as Outlander). I honestly liked the first game better. Some maps are ridiculously large but other than random monsters don't offer anything else. There is only one sidequest in every camp and thats it, there is nothing else Your pet makes town scrolls useless so I don't see why are they in the game (I used them once during my 16hr gameplay). The lootNice game but pretty average (Played as Outlander). I honestly liked the first game better. Some maps are ridiculously large but other than random monsters don't offer anything else. There is only one sidequest in every camp and thats it, there is nothing else Your pet makes town scrolls useless so I don't see why are they in the game (I used them once during my 16hr gameplay). The loot system is broken I couldn't complete a single set and most of the stuff I got wasn't that good. I also ran out of mana all the time because the only way to eliminate monsters is with spells (the selection wasn't that good either) since weapons are pretty much useless and it takes forever to kill anything. Why some people say this is better than Diablo is beyond me since this game is way behind it. If you are looking for a game that can be compared to Diablo than that is definitely Titan Quest, a far superior game to Torchlight. Expand
  6. Jul 1, 2013
    I wasn't very fond of the first Torchlight game, mainly because I kinda never grew up with Diablo games (I was too young when Diablo came and I couldn't understand how RPG worked), but as a game itself it was pretty fun...for about 10 hours. Infact the first game lacked a bit of variation and I just couldn't help myself to continue. TL2 however improves everything from the first, and II wasn't very fond of the first Torchlight game, mainly because I kinda never grew up with Diablo games (I was too young when Diablo came and I couldn't understand how RPG worked), but as a game itself it was pretty fun...for about 10 hours. Infact the first game lacked a bit of variation and I just couldn't help myself to continue. TL2 however improves everything from the first, and I will sum it up in 2 BIG points.

1)When I bought this game, I was impressed by how it was open and how big it became: we have 4 classes now and each have their own skill set and they do feel unique, even though we lost some "unique" feature from the previous game (the destroyer was big, the alchemist was slim, and the ranger was a pretty gorgeous woman). That aside, the game is BIG although it still lacked variation and while I do play it more than the previous game, I still get bored pretty quickly (and the story is kinda non existant). We also get the online play but I really hardly tried it and there's not many people online, and if they are they're usually higher level than me, which meant I was a a pain for them. Still a good thing however.
    Definitely a good rpg to play anyway I didn't dislike it at all...until...

2)...the day the mods came. NOW the fun really began! While we kinda lost the possibility to play online (we still can, but it requires that you have the exact addons that the host has), the game is so much amplified and varied now: modders always give us new classes (I just restarted with one), new features (dungeons, customizations, pets), new icons and HUDs, and many other things that actually makes you wanna try out for good. The only downside is that you can only put 10 mods at the time (probably for the online feature), but right now the mods makes this game much more varied and enjoyable to try out.

In other words, it was a good game before but now it's even better and I can't wait to see more mods to come; add the fact that is still a huge game (even bigger now!), and the price is pretty cheap too, you can easily spend a ton of hours only experimenting stuff and mods (even though it still suffers from being repetitive and some skills tend to be pretty useless). This is a very solid game and a great sequel to the original Torchlight: if you like Diablo style game (it's the closest genre I can recall), give it a try and enjoy the exploration.
  7. Nov 5, 2012
    Overall Torchlight 2 expands over the first one and improves in pretty much in every way, despite some network issues it may have from time to time, players will surely enjoy the multiplayer experiences and if not they can dabble on the single player experience which like the multiplayer can be experienced through different difficulties. You have a pretty decent customization options forOverall Torchlight 2 expands over the first one and improves in pretty much in every way, despite some network issues it may have from time to time, players will surely enjoy the multiplayer experiences and if not they can dabble on the single player experience which like the multiplayer can be experienced through different difficulties. You have a pretty decent customization options for your characters and can easily build up any class in any possible way. The graphical details have improved from the game, the sound effects and music are kept the similar to the first game. Pretty much TL2 consists of all the good aspects of TL1 plus more. Expand
  8. Apr 28, 2013
    For the Diablo fans disappointed by the changes made to the most recent game in the series, Torchlight II will make them feel right at home. Runic Games has basically taken the gameplay and story from Diablo II and set it in the world of Torchlight. However, this is also the game’s Achilles Heel as it might feel a bit too similar to some.
  9. Aug 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's a very nice game, not expensive at all, and very fun to play. Unfortunately, it is not polished, and small things amount to such an extent that it becomes really hard to enjoy the game.
    For example, there is a solid delay between your attack and movement actions; so when you are in the middle of a fight, hitting that mouse button to kick some monster buts, and suddenly your health drops to the point where you want to run you start clicking away, but your hero will continue to swing his hammer for a couple of times, until he reacts. By that time, of course, he will be dead. You have two alternative weapons configurations: so you may equip a shield and a sword as one, and a bow as the other configuration. If you equip two two-handed weapons in both configuration slots, one weapon defaults to right hand, the other to left. Now when you open up your Archaic Stats (where you can see all of your Hero's details, such as damage), not only need you to switch both configurations, you also need to switch the hands, in essence destroying all sense in comparison. Basically, you cannot compare both configurations' damage easily. Which brings us yet to another silly design blooper: when you point to an item, the statistic insert jumps out at you, and if it's let's say a weapon, two more stat inserts will jump our (for weapons in both your hands), effective covering ALL of your screen. Now, i could NOT (no matter how i tried) compare my ring's protection properties with the Actual Hero's Stats of Elemental protection. Unacceptable. Then, there are the graphics i like the overall design and atmosphere, but the textures are just washed out dyes. I did not feel personal with the Hero no matter how the equipped armor changed her looks. The weapons are actually terribly designed a cannon is a cylinder, and a sword is a stick. And Rare or Uniques do not differ from normal or enchanted sets. Major turn off. I was also playing on difficult setting, and could not amount any money whatsoever (the most i have possessed was around 30k), simply because as in the beginning of the game, or at level 40 you will set good items, really good sets or rares for around 100-200 gold pieces. What?! The skill tree is weird you cannot re-stat your points (actually, you can buy back only 3 latest points spent), and earlier skills do not contribute to later ones. So, does that mean that we should wait until Level 40 when the last skill opens up in a specific skill set tree to use it?! Come on... Things like that are all over the game; thankfully, Torchlight II is modable, and many people are making it better and better every day, with mods and improvements. Overall OK.
  10. Dec 4, 2012
    I am trying the Torchlight II demo to do a comparison with Diablo 3, I will likely buy the full version of T2 when I get paid later this week.

Summary: Diablo 3 has better aesthetics, sound and gameplay, however, Blizzard has ruined what should be a 9.5-10/10 rated game by the very poor loot system, extremely poor loot drop-rate and always online DRM for single player (all as a result of their money-grab real-money-auction house from which they take a 15% cut from) so that it is a 5-6/10 (poor-mediocre) rating instead.
    Alternatively, Torchlight 2 feels really dated, but it has none of the BS that has completely ruined Diablo 3 and that makes T2 a better game, I'll give it a 7/10 (decent but not excellent). I recommend you try the T2 demo before you buy it, it will give you a good idea if this is the game for you or not.

Details:

Pros: + $20US (fair price)
    + has a free demo you can try to see if you like the game before buying it
    + single player is played offline
    + customization of the look of your character is possible
    + loot is interesting and fun, rare items are good, upgrades drop often
    + mods allowed
    + no BS from the company running the game (with prior experience developing both Diablo 1 and 2, they know how to treat an ARPG and its player base)
    + non-linear questing, pick up quests and do then in order of your choosing
    + cut-scenes are good, cool stylized anime
    + being able to send your pet to sell your junk/buy potions is much better than needing to break the adventuring to port back to town everytime your bag is full
    + you can custom zoom from far to close on your toon with the mouse scroll wheel, nice way to see your toon's gear close up
    + start your char at whichever difficulty you want casual, normal to hard (5 difficulties if I remember right, might be 4)

Cons:

- your character looks kind of lame (very cartoonish but in a bad way, kinda like WoW Vanilla but even lamer/older looking)
    - looting, killing and combat sound effects sound lame (compared to D3)
    - annoyingly, boxes behind loot name text often hide you and the baddies you are trying to fight
    - voice acting is minimal and lame, most info given through text
    - story telling is minimal and meh
    - audio for cut-scenes stutters/hiccups every 2 seconds (at least on my PC, (don't have problem with D3, SKyrim, etc.))
    - this game feels really dated like a game from the late 90s
    - classes (4 choices) are kind of dull, 1 mage-like one, 1 berserker, I can't even remember what the other two were they were so uninteresting...

Neutral/Undecided:

. assign your own stats when you level (more control than D3 but more to think about and adds possiblility to break your character)
    . skills are permanent (you can only undo the last 3 choices for a price in town, not all. Adds risk and worry for the causal player, but true to older ARPG roots)
  11. Dec 29, 2012
    Over-hyped over-rated over-scored in metacritic. This game is nothing more than a generic, boring 'action rpg' with TERRIBLE childish graphics and a really STUPID story. It looks and plays like a BAD kiddy-version of Diabolo 2. Indeed the visual art style would have been considered pretty terrible on a Nintendo 64 Mario Cart game back in 1999. I can only conclude that the many 10/10 scoresOver-hyped over-rated over-scored in metacritic. This game is nothing more than a generic, boring 'action rpg' with TERRIBLE childish graphics and a really STUPID story. It looks and plays like a BAD kiddy-version of Diabolo 2. Indeed the visual art style would have been considered pretty terrible on a Nintendo 64 Mario Cart game back in 1999. I can only conclude that the many 10/10 scores in here were written by Diabolo fans, venting against Diabolo 3. Yet they wrote their reviews without buying of playing this game. For all the many things Diabolo 3 got wrong it is a clearly superior, clearly superior game, to this POS which looks like it was designed for kindergarteners. One can also conclude, that sadly, a large proportion of the metacritic user population live in a fantasy realm and feel it is legitimate to hold and exercise strong opinions about games they haven't actually played. Gentlemen, you are WIERD. Expand
  12. Dec 19, 2012
    While it lacks Diablo 3's looks with it's cartoon dayglow colours and simpler art style, it certainly makes up for it in every other way, the game is faster paced, feels more sturdy and sticks largely to the original diablo methods for skill trees and prgression. Loot side of things is right up there with Borderlands series.... theres simply tonnes of stuff, and thankfully without a godWhile it lacks Diablo 3's looks with it's cartoon dayglow colours and simpler art style, it certainly makes up for it in every other way, the game is faster paced, feels more sturdy and sticks largely to the original diablo methods for skill trees and prgression. Loot side of things is right up there with Borderlands series.... theres simply tonnes of stuff, and thankfully without a god aweful action house you have to actualy earn everything.

A perfect companion game to Diablo 3, different enough to feel different doing the same thing.
  13. Jan 12, 2013
    Torchlight II is a great game, and only costs 14 pounds which is amazing considering the amount of content you get. Runic Games once again have done a good job!
  14. Oct 28, 2013
    Lots of fun, whether alone or with friends. Tons of different monsters, cool levels, and of course items with plenty of room for enchantments and embers to further customize your equipment. I never really got into the story and felt nothing for the characters, but that isn't the point of this game nor was it the reason I played it. Fun to play and definitely recommended if you love ARPGLots of fun, whether alone or with friends. Tons of different monsters, cool levels, and of course items with plenty of room for enchantments and embers to further customize your equipment. I never really got into the story and felt nothing for the characters, but that isn't the point of this game nor was it the reason I played it. Fun to play and definitely recommended if you love ARPG games like Diablo. Expand
  15. Apr 9, 2013
    EXACTLY like Diablo! This game just feels like someone literally took the programming from the old Diablo games and then just drastically improved and modernized the graphics and gameplay. Then, to avoid copyrights they changed the storyline and graphics JUST ENOUGH to pass it off as a new game. The storyline is IDENTICAL to Diablo, just new names and faces in place of the old ones. It isEXACTLY like Diablo! This game just feels like someone literally took the programming from the old Diablo games and then just drastically improved and modernized the graphics and gameplay. Then, to avoid copyrights they changed the storyline and graphics JUST ENOUGH to pass it off as a new game. The storyline is IDENTICAL to Diablo, just new names and faces in place of the old ones. It is hilarious. If you missed the old Diablo games, Torchlight II is the modern reincarnate.
    Though this game is plenty of fun for me, I cannot help but feel most of the fun is based off nostalgia. This game does not offer cutting edge modern gameplay, it is a take on a classic. However, this game set out to recreate an old experience with new value and they aced it. GJ Runic!
  16. Nov 9, 2012
    This is a fun distraction and graphics are decent. It is essentially Diablo without all the nonesense that plagued D3 but lacks any real story and there are few to no rewarding cut scenes. Despite being a click fest and item management game it is addictive and fun. The soundtrack is almost identical to D2 and so it definitely brings out a pang of nostalgia. Its easy to lose time in theThis is a fun distraction and graphics are decent. It is essentially Diablo without all the nonesense that plagued D3 but lacks any real story and there are few to no rewarding cut scenes. Despite being a click fest and item management game it is addictive and fun. The soundtrack is almost identical to D2 and so it definitely brings out a pang of nostalgia. Its easy to lose time in the game though and as a diversion from more serious games that require attention and skill it is a perfect relaxation game. Expand
  17. Jun 24, 2013
    This game got hyped only because of failure of Diablo 3. This game is worse than Diablo 2 and Titan Quest. What is funny this game got even worse graphics than Titan Quest and TQ was released at 2006!!! Trust me if D3 did not failed nobody would rate this game 10 or even 9.
  18. Nov 20, 2012
    This game have really bad graphics which is partly repaired with pretty good gameplay and some new things added in genre. The game is good but nothing to remember or play long time. But compared to D3 it's much better in gameplay even when graphics sucks badly.
  19. Jan 20, 2013
    For every 1000 indie products, there comes one that is so great that it makes all the crappy rest worth it. Torchlight is one of those games. It's not only the best ARPG ever made but it is packed with content that will keep you occupied for all eternity. The only place where their budgetless indie studio lacked was in the cinematics and voice acting. Perhaps they opted not to spend tooFor every 1000 indie products, there comes one that is so great that it makes all the crappy rest worth it. Torchlight is one of those games. It's not only the best ARPG ever made but it is packed with content that will keep you occupied for all eternity. The only place where their budgetless indie studio lacked was in the cinematics and voice acting. Perhaps they opted not to spend too much on those, focusing instead on the gameplay. Smart decision. Still, the voice acting and cinematics are bad they actually makes me cringe and stop them fast before I feel bad for the talentless people who made them. This is why Torchlight II is a 9 instead of a 10. Expand
  20. Sep 30, 2012
    My Torchlight II review was deleted for some reason. It was rated very high as being a helpful review. I don't understand why it was deleted. Is Metacritic censoring people now? That's not a good way to get an accurate community opinion, but whatever, Metacritic is not the website that I thought it was.... Anyway, Im giving Torchlight II a 10 out of 10 because it is just plain fun, thereMy Torchlight II review was deleted for some reason. It was rated very high as being a helpful review. I don't understand why it was deleted. Is Metacritic censoring people now? That's not a good way to get an accurate community opinion, but whatever, Metacritic is not the website that I thought it was.... Anyway, Im giving Torchlight II a 10 out of 10 because it is just plain fun, there is no other way to describe it. I don't understand how Blizzard took some 10 years to release a $60 game that failed so badly, while Runic took less than 3 years to release a $20 game that is universally loved. I feel sorry for all the people that were pulled into Diablo 3 by all the nostalgia only to find a real money pay to win auction house, and a constantly online DRM system designed to punish people that actually bought the game. Runic really likes their fans, and everything about Torchlight II shows that they really listen to them. Thank you Runic for showing the world how game companies are supposed to operate. Blizzard may have made more money by selling fake nostalgia, but Runic gained a lot more fans by selling a real product. Expand
  21. Nov 18, 2013
    Single Player/Multi Player (2/2)

(If the single player is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no multplayer) (If the multiplayer is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no single player) Gameplay (2/2) Visuals/Story (1/2) (If the visuals are better than the story, review this section as if it had no story) (If the story is
    Single Player/Multi Player (2/2)

Gameplay (2/2)

Visuals/Story (1/2)

Accessibility/Longevity (2/2)

Pricing (2/2)

Wildcard (0)

22. Jul 25, 2013
    Torchlight 2 is the sequel of Torchlight and is much better, because it has a coop mode, is better designed and is more fun! It looks good, it has the Steam workshop and an editor. You will have a long time fun with it!
  23. Oct 9, 2012
    My thoughts about this game were crystalized while playing with my wife. Steam went down. Our LAN game kept right on working as if nothing had ever happened... unlike with Diablo 3, where a server hiccup gets you killed. I could stop there, but the game is more fun, the items are more enjoyable to find due to more interesting effects, building up a character is more fun (and permanent).My thoughts about this game were crystalized while playing with my wife. Steam went down. Our LAN game kept right on working as if nothing had ever happened... unlike with Diablo 3, where a server hiccup gets you killed. I could stop there, but the game is more fun, the items are more enjoyable to find due to more interesting effects, building up a character is more fun (and permanent). Sure the graphics are simpler, but they work really well and for $20 they're definitely up to the task. The bottom line here is that this is what DIablo 3 should have been. Expand
  24. Sep 20, 2012
    This right here? This is what we were expecting from diablo 3. It's everything you loved from the first with sugar on top. No always online drm lots of options graphically and easy to switch between *LAN* (more games should do this, this one sports lan people!) internet and single player. Did I mention there's no always online drm? It bears repeating. If you like diablo 1/2 and the firstThis right here? This is what we were expecting from diablo 3. It's everything you loved from the first with sugar on top. No always online drm lots of options graphically and easy to switch between *LAN* (more games should do this, this one sports lan people!) internet and single player. Did I mention there's no always online drm? It bears repeating. If you like diablo 1/2 and the first torchlight and similar top down hack and slash rpgs you owe it to yourself to get this game. Expand
  25. Sep 25, 2012
    Completely addictive, with superb graphics and many many varying enemies and landscapes (no more boring - repetitive dungeon after dungeon gaming) !! Players don't have to limit their characters on one development tree anymore, but there can be combinations of spells and possibilities. Took the good old Torchlight some light years beyond. I really love it and I highly recommend it ( ICompletely addictive, with superb graphics and many many varying enemies and landscapes (no more boring - repetitive dungeon after dungeon gaming) !! Players don't have to limit their characters on one development tree anymore, but there can be combinations of spells and possibilities. Took the good old Torchlight some light years beyond. I really love it and I highly recommend it ( I haven't played Diablo 3 yet and I don't think I will either). Expand
  26. Sep 29, 2012
    This game is what Diablo 3 should have been. There is nothing else that needs to be said but Metacritic has a 150 minimum character requirement. The difficulty is more consistent than Diablo 3 and the game is not afraid to challenge you. The skill trees (yes, there are skill trees) are well thought out and reward focusing your point distributions. The loot is copious, the enemy varietyThis game is what Diablo 3 should have been. There is nothing else that needs to be said but Metacritic has a 150 minimum character requirement. The difficulty is more consistent than Diablo 3 and the game is not afraid to challenge you. The skill trees (yes, there are skill trees) are well thought out and reward focusing your point distributions. The loot is copious, the enemy variety refreshing, and the gameplay is like crack cocaine. Get over the cartoony look, get over the generic story and buy this game and play it. Expand
  27. Jan 26, 2013
    a really fun game, i got tired of the combat quick, but the weapons armor and enchantments always keep you intrigued. i enjoy it played 6 hours so far and am hoping to finish the game soon. the graphics are cartoony and colorful. fun game worth getting.
  28. Aug 15, 2013
    I don't usually give out 10s, even amazing games with tons of playtime and play value get a 9. But Torchlight II is unbelievably fun. I've played through the entire game and started a New Game Plus and it's still fun! I played the original FATE game (and it's predecessors) a long time ago, and I loved them so much I was ecstatic to hear about a modern remake, and they did not disappoint inI don't usually give out 10s, even amazing games with tons of playtime and play value get a 9. But Torchlight II is unbelievably fun. I've played through the entire game and started a New Game Plus and it's still fun! I played the original FATE game (and it's predecessors) a long time ago, and I loved them so much I was ecstatic to hear about a modern remake, and they did not disappoint in any area! In fact, even though I hold FATE as a classic and precious to me because of personal memories, Torchlight II may even be better. Expand
  29. Jun 1, 2014
    I haven't played an ARPG in awhile and wanted to ease back into the genre. I wasn't disappointed at all. This is a fun fast paced game with a cartoon art style. You will get your moneys worth with at least 30 hours of content to explore if all side quests are played out. The only gripe I have is that when played on normal you get over powered quickly. So at the end of the game I justI haven't played an ARPG in awhile and wanted to ease back into the genre. I wasn't disappointed at all. This is a fun fast paced game with a cartoon art style. You will get your moneys worth with at least 30 hours of content to explore if all side quests are played out. The only gripe I have is that when played on normal you get over powered quickly. So at the end of the game I just breezed through the last boss. Play on hard. Expand
  30. Oct 10, 2013
    This game is very well made and better than the original in all respects, but it’s only fun up to a point. The story is basically non-existent (like most games in this genre) so once the loot collecting & pointing and clicking get tedious, you’ll struggle for a reason to continue. The graphics at least stay fresh and give every area its own identity, but even though you feel like you’reThis game is very well made and better than the original in all respects, but it’s only fun up to a point. The story is basically non-existent (like most games in this genre) so once the loot collecting & pointing and clicking get tedious, you’ll struggle for a reason to continue. The graphics at least stay fresh and give every area its own identity, but even though you feel like you’re exploring different places, you’re always doing the exact same thing in those places, which is clicking to kill monsters. A whole lot of monsters. Over & over again.

One huge plus is the devs opening the game up to the Steam Workshop. That has allowed people to make some incredible mods that add depth and fun to the game not included with the original version. That combined with the low price move this one up from a 7 to an 8 for me.

I might force myself to sit through a couple more hours of clicking so I can click all the way through to the end, just to say I did, but I’ll certainly never go back and start a new game over. If these types of games are your cup of tea, though, you’ll like it a lot and should pick it up.
  31. May 18, 2014
    Not being a fan of adventure games, I find, however, that Torchlight II is an excellent game, the best in its class, some contradict me, but that's my opinion. Torchlight II is a game with a well-crafted story, the graphics are beautiful, and even if you can only include 4 classes, classes are not less desirable. Each has its own attacks its own objects, and each complete with others. TheNot being a fan of adventure games, I find, however, that Torchlight II is an excellent game, the best in its class, some contradict me, but that's my opinion. Torchlight II is a game with a well-crafted story, the graphics are beautiful, and even if you can only include 4 classes, classes are not less desirable. Each has its own attacks its own objects, and each complete with others. The game is also good solo and co-op, although still play two more fun. In short, a game not to be missed, and play with a friend. Expand
  32. Jun 25, 2013
    This genre of game has always failed to excite me, until Torchlight 2. The gameplay, whilst simple, is always addictive and random loot generation makes every enemy worth killing. The multiplayer is even more fun, especially with each player getting their own loot (Borderlands 2, take note). and the online mode is easy to operate. The pet system is also really clever, saving you trips backThis genre of game has always failed to excite me, until Torchlight 2. The gameplay, whilst simple, is always addictive and random loot generation makes every enemy worth killing. The multiplayer is even more fun, especially with each player getting their own loot (Borderlands 2, take note). and the online mode is easy to operate. The pet system is also really clever, saving you trips back to sell your stuff. Though the story isn't very interesting and inventory management is a chore, this game does have some very cool class customization and skill tree upgrades. Whether you already enjoy Diablo-like mechanics or not, Torchlight 2 is worth your time. Expand
  33. Dec 9, 2012
    I felt that TL2 had potential but the lack of detail, story, interesting dialogues, things you can interact and mana restrictions just make it an average game. Enemies are not very interesting, there no is lore/backstory to them and it feels like a hack n slash with a really cut down core. What I did enjoy was the open style of the game and how I didn't feel very restricted. Playing withI felt that TL2 had potential but the lack of detail, story, interesting dialogues, things you can interact and mana restrictions just make it an average game. Enemies are not very interesting, there no is lore/backstory to them and it feels like a hack n slash with a really cut down core. What I did enjoy was the open style of the game and how I didn't feel very restricted. Playing with others was always fun, you're character would always be useful and you would always access some kind of support/team skills. The sounds and visuals are great and the stat mechanics are good. The big problem is that this game just doesn't provide large content outside of repetition, the whole hack n slash aspect isn't even particularly good and the game doesn't really leave you with memories. There are uniques for specific classes and if you're playing alone, all you'll do is recycle them because equipment which is valuable doesn't sell for anything and enchantments can result in a potentially great equip being mediocre unless you have tons of money. A lack of lore and dialogues seriously hampers this game and I felt they could of provided more. Each skill has a use and no skill is bad but using several skills decimates your mana and kind of ruins the fun, but wait, there are also abilites which are non-class specific which rape your mana even harder. And the hitboxes are just so frustrating at times, nearly everything which isn't small has hitboxes which are too big and it is almost impossible to target a specific target in a group of enemies. Overall, it's a decent game but falls well short of being a good RPG/hack n slash combo because of the huge flaws. Fact is, I'd rather be playing Path of Exile because it's way more fun and provides the same type of content. Expand
  34. Sep 25, 2012
    Torchlight 2 is a great game for it's price.Everything has changed from the first chapter,graphics,maps,boss mechanics all improved.Runic Games did really a great job
  35. Oct 1, 2012
    Excellent game, I played and adored torchlight but this. This is ~500% better than it's predecessor. Buying this game is a must (or torrent it but then buy). 10/10 without any doubt!
  36. Jan 27, 2013
    Diablo 3 done right. Very customization skill tree and equipment that actually make the game enjoyable. It is undoubtedly worth the low price it is going for.
  37. Sep 29, 2012
    The fore fathers of Diablo 1&2 (the Schaefer's) take Blizzard back to school and shows them how an ARPG is to be done and does it all for a third of the Diablo 3 price bringing us a superbly crafted, well designed ARPG with random surprises. Runic not only just improved everything they did in Torchlight, but also added full mod support, Steam Workshop and yup internet and LAN play, makesThe fore fathers of Diablo 1&2 (the Schaefer's) take Blizzard back to school and shows them how an ARPG is to be done and does it all for a third of the Diablo 3 price bringing us a superbly crafted, well designed ARPG with random surprises. Runic not only just improved everything they did in Torchlight, but also added full mod support, Steam Workshop and yup internet and LAN play, makes torchlight 2 a great, fun and rewarding ARPG experience. This is everything Diablo 3 should of been and never will be, Runic is showing us that building great game is more important than making cash cows. Expand
  38. Nov 22, 2012
    After spending $59.99 for Diablo III, I was reluctant to get this game. I am very glad I bought it. This game is plain FUN. Lots of loot, varied critters, interesting looking levels, and plenty of nail-biting moments. The graphics are cutesy/simple and very pleasing to the eye. Bosses are fun and creative! Downsides? Very minor ones. The mechanics are simple - kill monsters, grab loot,After spending $59.99 for Diablo III, I was reluctant to get this game. I am very glad I bought it. This game is plain FUN. Lots of loot, varied critters, interesting looking levels, and plenty of nail-biting moments. The graphics are cutesy/simple and very pleasing to the eye. Bosses are fun and creative! Downsides? Very minor ones. The mechanics are simple - kill monsters, grab loot, sell it, and gain experience. Over and over. The storyline is rather thin, and frankly, is not necessary to play the game. I would recommend this highly! Expand
  39. Feb 26, 2013
    There was a huge amount of hype surrounding the release of Torchlight II despite the impending release of Diablo 3, and it shows how Runic Games have already built a dedicated fan base on the success of the first Torchlight. The sequel is a brilliant follow-up and the developers deserve full credit for building upon their excellent debut.
    To a minor extent, Torchlight II has less charm
    To a minor extent, Torchlight II has less charm than its predecessor, but it expands and improves on every other element. The many areas are diverse and complex in their layouts, with multiple hub areas allowing you to sell loot and use the many other services available. You would be frequently returning to these hubs if it were not for the pet feature, which allows you to stock up your pet with items to sell in town while you continue exploring. It's one of the first game's best feature and makes a welcome return for the sequel. Each class has an extremely unique skill-tree, and there's a nice deviation from the generic tank/mage/ranged cliche. There is a nice diversity in the pet choices, too.
    Overall, Torchlight II is a commendable sequel, showing Runic Games' growing experience. I for one will be closely following their future projects.
  40. Mar 28, 2013
    This is a great little action game, I like its graphics style, the sound score, the atmosphere and such. However, the graphical fidelity isn't amazing, the gameplay is more of the same (which isn't bad, but not amazing either, imo), the story I didn't pay attention to in the slightest, something with someone, kill it etc. I usually pay attention to the story in games, but here I justThis is a great little action game, I like its graphics style, the sound score, the atmosphere and such. However, the graphical fidelity isn't amazing, the gameplay is more of the same (which isn't bad, but not amazing either, imo), the story I didn't pay attention to in the slightest, something with someone, kill it etc. I usually pay attention to the story in games, but here I just couldn't be bothered. I didn't really see or experience any bugs, so it, to me, is quite a polished game, which adds to the fun, by being less frustrating than the competition.

All in all its a very acceptable game, but I can't bring myself to play it more than I have, however, for the money it cost, and the amount of hours I got out of it, it is a damn good deal. If you like action games, get it. 7/10
  41. Feb 12, 2014
    I got this game from a steam sale for $5 and I can't believe what I was missing. Honestly I was looking for that Diablo 2 feeling and D3 disappointed me. Once I got this I couldn't believe how fun it was, I mean literally everything is fun, even selling things which can sometimes be a chore is a breeze just by loading up your pet and sending him to town. Awesome Game.
  42. Nov 20, 2012
    This is generally a good game, and if you liked the first version you'll definitely enjoy this one too. It does some things to improve on the first version, especially the diverse variety of locations (whereas in the first torchlight you just kept going deeper and deeper down in the same mine forever). The gameplay is basically the same as the first version, some minor improvements, butThis is generally a good game, and if you liked the first version you'll definitely enjoy this one too. It does some things to improve on the first version, especially the diverse variety of locations (whereas in the first torchlight you just kept going deeper and deeper down in the same mine forever). The gameplay is basically the same as the first version, some minor improvements, but essentially the same kinda feel to it. My two main criticisms with it are 1) the repetitive nature of the gameplay, there is little to no variety in the actual gameplay (kill monsters, collect loot, upgrade gear, sell inventory, repeat cycle thousands of times) and 2) the relative shallow nature of the actual storyline and character development, which makes for something that just isn't immersive enough for my taste.
    Overall, it's a relatively enjoyable romp for short spurts of time here and there (after an hour or so I tend to get bored with it, turn it off, then several days later turn it on for another hour or so), but nothing that I can really sink my teeth into with much succulence. If you loved the first one, you'll love this one even more. If you had mixed feelings about the first one, you'll probably have mixed feelings about this one too. If you have never played the first one, go buy this one and see if you like it- best case scenario you'll love it, worse case scenario you'll still think it worthy of it's low price tag.
  43. Mar 20, 2013
    A thing of beauty. I have more then 300 hours clocked on Steam, with very good reason. This game is a hack 'n slash action RPG with 4 classes to choose from and skilltrees that allow for endless variations. The characters play the story in 4 acts, with each of these acts playing in a randomly generated world. Messing around with class/skilltree/gear is perfectly fine on easierA thing of beauty. I have more then 300 hours clocked on Steam, with very good reason. This game is a hack 'n slash action RPG with 4 classes to choose from and skilltrees that allow for endless variations. The characters play the story in 4 acts, with each of these acts playing in a randomly generated world. Messing around with class/skilltree/gear is perfectly fine on easier difficulties, but if you want to survive the highest difficulty, only the best builds will do. Weapon and armor drops have random stats just like in Borderlands. And you can customize them even further by slotting in gems and/or having them enchanted. Add in shops, a gambling vendor, fishing (heh) and a load of end-game content... Well, you get the picture by now. The best thing for me was how well balanced and polished this all feels. And at the price they're selling it, I advise everyone to try it. Expand
  44. Apr 3, 2013
    Overall the game is as fun as the first one if you like ARPGs. I particularly liked the fact that there were various traps throughout the game that made you a little uneasy but weren't truly deadly. The pet continues to be an enjoyable aspect although you never really get any strong attachment to it. It's really just a pack mule but being able to send it to town for supplies is prettyOverall the game is as fun as the first one if you like ARPGs. I particularly liked the fact that there were various traps throughout the game that made you a little uneasy but weren't truly deadly. The pet continues to be an enjoyable aspect although you never really get any strong attachment to it. It's really just a pack mule but being able to send it to town for supplies is pretty neat.

Unlike the last game this one has a few more problems than normal. The biggest issue I had was graphical glitches. This was especially common in the desert regions where it was trying to paint bushes. They'd just flicker. There were others though. The creatures had different names and skins but the same set appeared in every area so there wasn't a lot of variety.

The gear was lackluster after about the middle of the game. I wish there was more gear. I had hopes with the crafting to be able to get better gear but you always get worse based upon the algorithm used. It made crafting effectively useless. One particularly annoying issue is that you can hide levels of items from the screen (white, blue, etc) but they are still there. Oftentimes when you are clicking to pick up something you'll accidently pick up these hidden items instead. It sort of defeats the purpose of filtering. If I don't want to see certain items then I shouldn't be able to pick them up.

Perhaps the worst issue is with the champions and bosses. Pretty much every one of them has teleport. This means you'll be hitting on them and they'll just move elsewhere. This extends the battle but is more frustrating than challenging. It's almost like it is a crutch that was used way too often.

Finally I felt some of the later levels were really long for no reason other than to be really long. Especially in the final levels of the game they just went on and on for no real good reason.

Overall though I consider T2 to be a very good ARPG, especially compared to others in this genre. It is about as close to Diablo 2 as you can get (although I still think Titans Quest is better).
  45. Apr 29, 2014
    ===========
    The new king of ARPGs. But there is one major flaw with ARPGs and that is gameplay - it becomes EXTREMELY repetitive fast - kill this, kill that!
  46. Oct 8, 2012
    This game getes a 10/10. I've played it since the release and I've played over 40 hours, and counting. Customization, great multiplayer, exploration, great rewards, fast leveling, and insane skills make this game a must-have. I can make a tank with ANY class, I can make a DPS with ANY class, I can make an Elemental DPS with ANY class, I can make an all-around with ANY class, etc. ThisThis game getes a 10/10. I've played it since the release and I've played over 40 hours, and counting. Customization, great multiplayer, exploration, great rewards, fast leveling, and insane skills make this game a must-have. I can make a tank with ANY class, I can make a DPS with ANY class, I can make an Elemental DPS with ANY class, I can make an all-around with ANY class, etc. This game offers the customization that D3 SHOULD have had. If you liked D2, you will LOVE this. Expand
  47. Oct 2, 2012
    I sunk 80 hours into this game. For 19 Euros this game was a steal. The gameplay is simple yet addicting. The itemprogression is what keeps you busy and constantly hunting for more and better items. The dungeons and bosses are way more versatile and interesting than the first game. The story is irrelevant in this game and not worth mentioning. It's a great game and for that price everyoneI sunk 80 hours into this game. For 19 Euros this game was a steal. The gameplay is simple yet addicting. The itemprogression is what keeps you busy and constantly hunting for more and better items. The dungeons and bosses are way more versatile and interesting than the first game. The story is irrelevant in this game and not worth mentioning. It's a great game and for that price everyone should pick it up. Expand
  48. Dec 10, 2014
    This is what Diablo 3 should have been. It's brilliant and I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in the ARPG genre. Lots of innovative additions to the format, beautiful locations, wonderful classes with proper customisation and random levels - what more could you possibly want?

Jimbo Rating: 10/10
  49. Sep 25, 2012
    This is a shining example of what a sequel should be: improvement on everything that was wrong with the first game. This is basically the type of game we should've had in Diablo 3. Also remember that while respec options are limited, they'll just be modded in ASAP anyway,.
  50. Mar 13, 2013
    The only truly negative thing I have to say about this game has nothing to do with the game itself I am upset that I did not discover this game before I wasted $60 on Diablo 3 (though I did manage to snag it for $10 during a Steam Sale best $10 I have spent on a video game). I enjoy loot adventures and playing co-op with my brother (who lives in a different state). I felt like as theThe only truly negative thing I have to say about this game has nothing to do with the game itself I am upset that I did not discover this game before I wasted $60 on Diablo 3 (though I did manage to snag it for $10 during a Steam Sale best $10 I have spent on a video game). I enjoy loot adventures and playing co-op with my brother (who lives in a different state). I felt like as the game progressed, I would discover new things about it that I liked, things that we would often talk about why they were never implemented in different games. You can tell from the beginning that TL2 was about what the players would want from this type of game. I even found a mod for full controller support you would think this would not work as well as it does (I figured I would use it only for my alt 'zerker but use it for my outlander as well). After just completing my first run-through, my character was only at 56 with a max of 100. You have the option to reset the world and play again OR purchase different dungeon maps with bonuses attached to them (along with handicaps and stipulations). That is a tremendously awesome way to keep a player interested (especially for someone who does not care about Raid bosses or PVP). I recommend this for anyone who enjoys dungeon crawlers. Expand
  51. Jun 15, 2013
    This game is horrible compared to the first. The graphics are are fuzzier, not as sharp, the world isn't nearly as appealing as the first game.. Loot drops are favor what ever classes you AREN'T playing. Got a Outlander to up level 20 and no pistol drops anywhere, and yet they start you out with pistols. Stupid level design nowhere near as cool as the first game and the controls are stillThis game is horrible compared to the first. The graphics are are fuzzier, not as sharp, the world isn't nearly as appealing as the first game.. Loot drops are favor what ever classes you AREN'T playing. Got a Outlander to up level 20 and no pistol drops anywhere, and yet they start you out with pistols. Stupid level design nowhere near as cool as the first game and the controls are still an unintuitive mess. The only reason anyone gives this game a 10 is because it doesn't suck as bad as Diablo 3, but it still sucks. Expand
  52. Sep 20, 2012
    Wow Awsome game, went in skeptical and have thus far been blown away i immediatly got the feeling that i have so long wanted from Diablo 3 ........guys this is the real deal, will be playing for years to come great job runic.

Buy this game people it wont disapoint.
  53. Sep 21, 2012
    This is the quality dungeon crawler I was expecting from a certain other company..... T2 doesn't deviate too far from the sucessful recipe of the first. The scope of the missions and environments are broader and has a bit more polish. Well worth 20 bucks. If I knew then what I know now, I would have bypassed the whole Blizzard mess and stuck with Runic exclusively. It's a win.
  54. Aug 11, 2013
    I don't know why people giving Torchlight 2 so high scores. I really felt cheated when the feedback was so good, and then the reality was very different.

- THE BAD: Graphics are bad with no detail, combat is lazy with no impact, monsters have little variety, landscape neither has about any variety at all, boring quests (It's an APRG, surprise), story is boring, there are few classes

- THE BAD:

Graphics are bad with no detail, combat is lazy with no impact, monsters have little variety, landscape neither has about any variety at all, boring quests (It's an APRG, surprise), story is boring, there are few classes and the customization is also scraping the bottom,

- THE GOOD:

You can apply mods and multiplayer is keeping the game alive, but ony by a bit.

I didn't finish the game after 18 hours of gameplay I gave up due to the game was too boring.
  55. Jan 24, 2014
    I didn't like Torchlight I that much because of the msising Multiplayer.
    But Torchlight II is one of the best Games I've ever played. Not only that it is the best DIablo-Clone ever. Also it is the only clone, that's better than the original!
    You could say that it is a better Diablo 3.
  56. Sep 22, 2012
    This game is why we love Runic.. (release day the servers were swamped and people flip out over nothing) It truly does Torchlight justice.. they took everything that was awesome and added the things all the fans asked for (coop/multi being one) making it what has to be the best game i purchased this year hands down. Runic shasres the love and not the greed for 20 bucks you simply cannotThis game is why we love Runic.. (release day the servers were swamped and people flip out over nothing) It truly does Torchlight justice.. they took everything that was awesome and added the things all the fans asked for (coop/multi being one) making it what has to be the best game i purchased this year hands down. Runic shasres the love and not the greed for 20 bucks you simply cannot beat it.
    TY Runic.. and to any fans of Torchlight or even Fate.. if you have'nt purchased it yet your missing an award winning rpg that has nailed it.
  57. Oct 10, 2012
    I didn't play TL1 to any great extent. In fact, it was quite boring and repetetive. I kept an eye on Runic's plans for TL2 as they looked to be quite ambitious in comparison to the first entry of this series. I didn't take part in any beta events, and I bought the game on day one of release.........................I think the main point of focus when looking at TL2 is it's price vsI didn't play TL1 to any great extent. In fact, it was quite boring and repetetive. I kept an eye on Runic's plans for TL2 as they looked to be quite ambitious in comparison to the first entry of this series. I didn't take part in any beta events, and I bought the game on day one of release.........................I think the main point of focus when looking at TL2 is it's price vs product. For £15 it offers up a well polished game. Many will compare it to Diablo 3, which for my money, Blizzard failed to deliver anything like what I'd hoped, and if you are compelled to compare the two, then the first port of call is on loot. D3 absolutely failed on loot throughout it's entirety, and TL2 is the complete opposite. Plenty of loot drops that are relevant to your level and character...................Graphically TL2 has a less realistic feel to it, and is, strangely enough more comparable with Warcraft games. It is probably a required taste, but you soon lose yourself inside the game's various areas and dungeons......................As far as gameplay is concerned, well it's pretty standard fare for this genre, and I'd say gamers of any level can easily pick it up and play. As far as combat goes, it's pretty simple, and is probably where it lets itself down - but only slightly. Pretty much everything i've encountered so far on my Engineer is simply a case of spamming and running, but then again, I'm only about 10 hours or so into the game. Maybe later on, or on a more difficult setting everything might get ramped up - or might require some thought into how to defeat the bosses..................Finally, co-op play. For a game to include this at this price is quite rare, and a definate plus for Runic games' reputation. I've only tried it a couple of times, but it worked fine for me, and when you think back to only last year with Dungeon Siege 3 - which was a full priced supposed AAA title, where you had to stay in a limited area on the same screen as your compadres, how Runic have implemented it how they have on such a small budget shoud really make some developers sit back and rethink there approach as to what gamers want. If you deliver cr*p, then gamers will remember and speak with their wallets next time around - ie: they won't buy....................................So, TL:DR - TL2 is a welcome addition in the genre, something that I think I could put alongside Titan Quest as a winner in this genre....... Buy it - you won't be disappointed. Expand
  58. Apr 25, 2014
    Nice game. I like the fast paced gameplay. Super interesting characters and spells. Nice soundtrack and overall game atmosphere............. thoroughly impressed
  59. Nov 9, 2014
    If you were never a big fan of these types of games, I suggest trying Torchlight II. It might change your opinion of the genre entirely, like it did for me. I haven't found a single aspect of the game to gripe about yet, it's just incredibly fun all around.
  60. Sep 12, 2014
    Awesome top down rpg makes diablo 3 look shallow and unimpressive.

Very good rpg with bright epic colors and satisfying spells, beautiful cartoon style graphics that never age and some of the Best character classes i have played. Very high replay value and hardcore makes you think twice about what you do plus for those who like to add, tinker or just mess around they can mod with the
    Awesome top down rpg makes diablo 3 look shallow and unimpressive.

Very high replay value and hardcore makes you think twice about what you do plus for those who like to add, tinker or just mess around they can mod with the open community.

Worth $50
  61. Jan 14, 2013
    I was hugely disappointed in T2. The very first spell I tried was so overpowered I could just walk through the game mashing one button and everything died. You feel more like a exterminator spraying **** than anything else: just clearing out areas full of bugs. Rinse and repeat. It's the ultimate grind-a-thon. I quickly bumped the game up to highest difficulty, but it made noI was hugely disappointed in T2. The very first spell I tried was so overpowered I could just walk through the game mashing one button and everything died. You feel more like a exterminator spraying **** than anything else: just clearing out areas full of bugs. Rinse and repeat. It's the ultimate grind-a-thon. I quickly bumped the game up to highest difficulty, but it made no difference. They throw so much healing potion at you, and your mana regenerates so quick that everything feels cheap, like you've got a cheat enabled. This is a game you'd give to your 8 year old nephew or something. Definitely not the Diablo III alternative so many people keep claiming. The first Torchlight had a lot of charm and challenge. This thing is just an unbalanced mess. Expand
  62. Feb 19, 2013
    Gameplay is great, lots of content. The graphics look good, especially the environments. Great music that fits well. My only complaint is that the story is really boring. It doesn't do enough to keep me interested in what's going on in this world, and that could be a deal breaker for many people. Why care about completing these quests when you don't care about the world or characters? It'sGameplay is great, lots of content. The graphics look good, especially the environments. Great music that fits well. My only complaint is that the story is really boring. It doesn't do enough to keep me interested in what's going on in this world, and that could be a deal breaker for many people. Why care about completing these quests when you don't care about the world or characters? It's a fun game with friends though. Expand
  63. Jul 21, 2013
    This is a really good game and you can get it on sale for $5 which is practically robbery. The graphics have been reworked since the initial release and the game looks much better. I definitely recommend this game it's a lot of fun and has high replay value. The only area this game suffers is multi player which is why Diablo III still fetches $40. If you don't care about that then this isThis is a really good game and you can get it on sale for $5 which is practically robbery. The graphics have been reworked since the initial release and the game looks much better. I definitely recommend this game it's a lot of fun and has high replay value. The only area this game suffers is multi player which is why Diablo III still fetches $40. If you don't care about that then this is the way to go. Expand
  64. Sep 20, 2012
    Great game, the classes are unique, the music is very good, sounding like the original Diablo music. The combat has some cool things about it too, for instance there are hand cannons and shot guns that actually do ranged AoE damage, and if you're dual wielding you have a chance to strike with both weapons at once. It's a must buy for any fan of Diablo, and it's a bargain at only $20. ItGreat game, the classes are unique, the music is very good, sounding like the original Diablo music. The combat has some cool things about it too, for instance there are hand cannons and shot guns that actually do ranged AoE damage, and if you're dual wielding you have a chance to strike with both weapons at once. It's a must buy for any fan of Diablo, and it's a bargain at only $20. It has multiplayer, lan or internet, more modding capabilities, a lot of pets to choose from. Expand
  65. Oct 4, 2012
    Okay, so I had a weird start with this game, and I'm just here to amend my original review, which was a measly six. Now, my original issue was that the controls felt sluggish, and I still stand by that claim, but after about 10 hours or so, you get used to them... or perhaps you roll a class that feels good to you. Well, now I've done that, I've found the sword and board Engineer, and I'mOkay, so I had a weird start with this game, and I'm just here to amend my original review, which was a measly six. Now, my original issue was that the controls felt sluggish, and I still stand by that claim, but after about 10 hours or so, you get used to them... or perhaps you roll a class that feels good to you. Well, now I've done that, I've found the sword and board Engineer, and I'm have a ridiculous amount of fun here. The game is awesome. Just fun, fun fun fun. I've given up D3 in favor of this game, sad to say. The guys at Runic really understand what makes a game like this tick. It's the loot, mostly. :P And building a character is actually REALLY fun. Stat points! YEAH! Expand
  66. Dec 29, 2012
    Torchlight II is an amazing game. It lacks in some areas such as the boring story and the uninteresting characters, but this game wasn't built with a wonderful, story-driven experience in mind. Torchlight II is all about hacking and slashing, looting, levelling, exploring, upgrading skills and upgrading your current set of gear. All of these elements of the game are splendid, and theTorchlight II is an amazing game. It lacks in some areas such as the boring story and the uninteresting characters, but this game wasn't built with a wonderful, story-driven experience in mind. Torchlight II is all about hacking and slashing, looting, levelling, exploring, upgrading skills and upgrading your current set of gear. All of these elements of the game are splendid, and the hack-and-slash gameplay can be a surprising challenge at times. The graphics aren't amazing, but the art style is really nice, and the game runs buttery-smooth on my PC. It's an overall very polished game which delivers on many aspects, and is very fun and addictive to play. Expand
  67. Sep 18, 2013
    Another great game from some of the original Diablo developers who started their own company. I'm not the biggest fan of the art style but if you liked Torchlight this is more of the same with some cookies. Multiplayer is a nice addition but not amazing.
  68. Sep 24, 2012
    Lets get the obvious first, Torchlight II is the greatest action RPG of all time and maybe the best game ever made. Do not mind the Diablo fanboy reviews seen here on Metacritic, they cannot stand that 20$ game developed by few guys at Runic could deliver a masterpiece like Torchlight II. So, what exactly is so good in Torchlight 2, well the answer would be everything. The gameplay isLets get the obvious first, Torchlight II is the greatest action RPG of all time and maybe the best game ever made. Do not mind the Diablo fanboy reviews seen here on Metacritic, they cannot stand that 20$ game developed by few guys at Runic could deliver a masterpiece like Torchlight II. So, what exactly is so good in Torchlight 2, well the answer would be everything. The gameplay is perfect, the balance is perfect, the pace is perfect. The game simply is perfect. Expand
  69. May 30, 2013
    Childish graphics poor gameplay too few classes Game crashing on co-op after every loading screen. Poor story as hell Tbh even Diablo 3 is better than this game and that game sucks too.
  70. Jun 13, 2014
    It does something, and it does it pretty well. Most importantly, it's really fun! It may get a TAD repetitive at times (still only a tad), but I find this unable to hinder my progress in the game in any way. Buy this game if you have the money, and if you're familiar with other RPG's you could find this fun as well.
  71. Oct 3, 2012
    Outstanding ARPG Dungeon Crawler. 20 Bucks is such a low price for the games worth. I would pay a full 60 for this. Having a blast. Def check this game out.
  72. Oct 11, 2012
    Torchlight 2 is an action roleplaying game sequel to Torchlight, which does an exceptional job on expanding on the original game. On its own merit, price point, style, and overall quality, it is a highly enjoyable, ARPG with a vast amount of replay value and reeks of quality (even or especially at $20). For the past week I've been running through the game at different levels, hardcoreTorchlight 2 is an action roleplaying game sequel to Torchlight, which does an exceptional job on expanding on the original game. On its own merit, price point, style, and overall quality, it is a highly enjoyable, ARPG with a vast amount of replay value and reeks of quality (even or especially at $20). For the past week I've been running through the game at different levels, hardcore mode, multiple characters etc, and what I've found is that the game plays great, has not crashed once, and delivers on improving what Runic started with Torchlight. I do enjoy the visual style and ambiance of the game (Wow comparisons aside, as Wow didn't invent a cartoony/streamlined style), although it may not be for everyone, it does come across well and consistent throughout the game, although most of the time the finer details of my character are lost anyway as I tend to zoom out to the farthest extent when playing. Runic has done a very good job with this game, listened to what the community wanted, and provided (more or less) exactly what they promised. TL 2 is not a revolutionary game, but then again, not every game has to be. It is fun, fast-paced, highly enjoyable, does not have any real money transactions (I do not like them) and brings the most important concept to the forefront: Its freakin fun. And I haven't even had a chance to play co-op yet. All in all this game has the potential to be one of the games you look back on as a classic, as Runic has created a game with little or no caveats for the player, just pure fun. The only real criticism I have is of the voice acting, which runs the gamut from fair to bland, and the story itself. It's not that its bad in any form, but it doesn't really catch you in the way games like Mass Effect do. Thankfully, the game is pretty straightforward with the telling of the story and doesn't seem to dwell unnecessarily on needless dialogue, leaving you more time to focus on the fighting/looting/leveling cycle, while still getting the overall gist of the story. To its credit, it does have some twists to it, which does add some interest, although it won't blow you out of the water. I anticipate that once the mod community gets their creative hands on this game, depending on how extensive the mod tools are, you will be able to change the game in ways that only people who play Oblivion/Morrowind/etc on the PC will know. One final note: the music...is...amazing. That's all that needs to be said other then the fact that I highly recommend this game Expand
  73. Sep 20, 2012
    Such a good game. I played diablo 2-3, dungeon siege 1-3, and torchlight. And i can safely say this beats all of them. It has that constant feel like eveyrthing is so unique and some awesome equipment is gonna come up your next fight. And its great it still has all the skills to get and level up and the animations for everything are awesome. The graphics are alot more polished overSuch a good game. I played diablo 2-3, dungeon siege 1-3, and torchlight. And i can safely say this beats all of them. It has that constant feel like eveyrthing is so unique and some awesome equipment is gonna come up your next fight. And its great it still has all the skills to get and level up and the animations for everything are awesome. The graphics are alot more polished over torchlight 1 but still give the same feel. The game has a never ending variety to monsters. You never feel like you are ever fighting the same species of creature for too long. The environments are great. And i can't explain how much i love the random events and finds. One second you kill a creature and teleported to a new realm where you get a challenge like defending a crystal from hordes of goblins or just roaming the world and you come across a bandit camp holding prisoners and if you free the prisoners they give you a chocie of three items to pick from which are always good. Then there are some secret actions you can do but i wont reveal that aspect of the game. So overall the game is by far the best hack and slash loot em up game out right now and probably for a long time. I haven't had the full experience with spells and magic as im more of a grab a hammer and smahs everytihng kinda player but from the looks of it it looks pretty sweet. And i also haven't tried co-op, but i mean if im having this much fun alone, having a buddy or two would just make it unreal. Final conclusion: Get the game, its 20 bucks. What do you have to lose? Expand
  74. Oct 7, 2012
    Very enjoyable. I've not tried playing online yet, but I am really enjoying single player. My only complaint is that higher difficulty levels don't up the AI factor, instead just increase enemy stats and reduce your own level, essentially forcing players to not only do all side-quests, but reach a point of being underleveled and needing to farm experience.
  75. Jul 28, 2013
    A lot of progress and improvements have been made since the first Torchlight. This game is very large with detailed maps and dungeons. The level design is not repetitive at all from start to finish. I love how the internet coop works as well.

The only bad thing is, after you have finished the game, you feel kind of full of it and anything beyond that is just a grind fest. Nothing new (except extra dungeons), no pvp, just creep carnage and better items. Same suffering as with the Diablo 3.

Conclusion: If you are looking for 15-20 hours of fun aRPG gameplay, go for it.
  76. Apr 25, 2013
    Remember the jump Assassin’s Creed made from 1 to 2? That’s what Torchlight 2 feels like. Runic Games knocked Torchlight 2 out of the park. It has phenomenal gameplay, and characters are more customizable than ever with 4 classes to choose from, each of which has a male and female variation. There are almost a dozen unique pets to choose from, and now play a much more important role thanRemember the jump Assassin’s Creed made from 1 to 2? That’s what Torchlight 2 feels like. Runic Games knocked Torchlight 2 out of the park. It has phenomenal gameplay, and characters are more customizable than ever with 4 classes to choose from, each of which has a male and female variation. There are almost a dozen unique pets to choose from, and now play a much more important role than they did in Torchlight 1. The controls are easily customizable to your convenience and technical issues are incredibly scarce. The graphics engine is not demanding on the CPU or GPU, but still looks great. The introduction of the new game plus feature brings fantastic replay value to Torchlight 2. Add that to the mapworks feature, and you’ll have countless hours to spend after completing the game. In addition, the new co-op feature adds a fantastic multiplayer experience to the game. Players can’t by hoard or steal any loot with Torchlight 2’s great anti-cheating features. This is a fantastic investment of both your time and money. If you found Torchlight 1 fun at all, then Torchlight 2 will blow your mind. Expand
  77. Sep 22, 2012
    The game builds on nothing. If you loved Diablo 2 (Diablo 2 not Diablo 3), then you'll love this game. Its not innovative, it offers nothing new to the ARPG genre. The skill system is very small and robust. Its more spam skills to win, rather then having interesting Attack/Defensive/passive combos that make your character amazing. It really turned out to be boring. Do not recommend unlessThe game builds on nothing. If you loved Diablo 2 (Diablo 2 not Diablo 3), then you'll love this game. Its not innovative, it offers nothing new to the ARPG genre. The skill system is very small and robust. Its more spam skills to win, rather then having interesting Attack/Defensive/passive combos that make your character amazing. It really turned out to be boring. Do not recommend unless you are not satisfied with Diablo 3, its no better. Expand
  78. Sep 23, 2012
    After finishing this game with embermage I can safely say this is definitely tthe best game in the genre at the moment. It may have taken a decade, but something has finally dethroned Diablo II (and who better than a team heavy on former Blizzard North employees). There is literally nothing bad to be said about this game. The music and artstyle are top-notch, gameplay is solid and theAfter finishing this game with embermage I can safely say this is definitely tthe best game in the genre at the moment. It may have taken a decade, but something has finally dethroned Diablo II (and who better than a team heavy on former Blizzard North employees). There is literally nothing bad to be said about this game. The music and artstyle are top-notch, gameplay is solid and the multiplayer has LAN. Expand
  79. May 20, 2013
    Its a really fun top-down, hack-and-slash action RPG. If you're not into that genre really, you might like it anyway, because before I wasn't into that genre, and now it seems I kind of am. There's a good amount of content, and there's end-game content as well. The story is alright. The voice acting is pretty good. Nice audio, nice visuals. There's modding support, that's pretty cool. TheIts a really fun top-down, hack-and-slash action RPG. If you're not into that genre really, you might like it anyway, because before I wasn't into that genre, and now it seems I kind of am. There's a good amount of content, and there's end-game content as well. The story is alright. The voice acting is pretty good. Nice audio, nice visuals. There's modding support, that's pretty cool. The development team, Runic, is pretty good--they've released a few (free) updates, including content updates. There's online (peer-to-peer) and LAN! Its pretty bug free, except: some class abilities have problems (ex. misleading descriptions); there seems to be some issues with playing online or LAN; there seems to be a lot of issues playing modded online or LAN; some minor spacial, gameplay issues in the game (ex. moving not where you intended). I'd pay around $30 for this game, or more. Expand
  80. Sep 21, 2012
    Is it better than Diablo 3? Yes. Is it cheaper than Diablo 3? Yes. Do you get more for your money than Diablo 3? Yes. The art style is subject to taste and the story is probably even less coherent than Diablo 3, but lets be honest, nobody really plays games like this for it's story. It's a hack 'n slash isometric game and the best one released so far this year.
  81. Sep 21, 2012
    Torchlight 2 sharpens the hack-and-slash genre to a fine point that sticks right in the greedy eyeball of Blizzard execs. A truly fun and addictive game. Good graphics, great soundtrack, original atmosphere -- once you get the game you'll only wish you had more time to play it. This game is on par in almost every respect with Diablo 3 and is 1/3 the cost. Vote with your wallets, folks.
  82. Sep 24, 2012
    This is an amazing game. It is astounding how talented the Runic Games team is. Even without Blizzards money they managed to create such a great game. I can not fault it in any way. I am not saying it is the perfect game, it's just so quite and solid as far as gameplay goes that you forget to look for flaws. I will be giving this game a 10 out of 10. It deserves it.
  83. Sep 27, 2012
    It's a sequel, but it is a proper sequel. More characters, more animals, more of an open world, more stats, more abilities... more more more. There is nothing really new or inventive about the game, it is just a great sequel for Torchlight. If you liked Torchlight you will like this.
  84. Sep 21, 2012
    This game really defines what I'd been waiting for in a ARPG since the days of (sorry, I have to say it) Diablo II. Great, detailed and rich world, awesome soundtrack and exquisite gameplay. Watching mobs explode as you attack is as satisfying as it can get. Even if the loot mechanics are a little overwhelming, this game is still, as of yet, the last bastion of PC Gaming's ARPGs.
  85. Oct 26, 2012
    This game is very similar to Diablo 2, but more fast paced - different style of graphics and takes place in a different world. Multiplayer is expanded but there are a lot of connectivity issues in games, especially for parties 4 and more. Skill and stat point mapping is the exact similar to D2 but it's a lot easier to get unique items and thus makes it more fun to play. Shared stashThis game is very similar to Diablo 2, but more fast paced - different style of graphics and takes place in a different world. Multiplayer is expanded but there are a lot of connectivity issues in games, especially for parties 4 and more. Skill and stat point mapping is the exact similar to D2 but it's a lot easier to get unique items and thus makes it more fun to play. Shared stash between your characters ensures that every item you find is useful and encourages you to play all 4 classes. The game's 'veteran' difficulty should really be the 'normal', and the 'elite' would be very hard. Anything under veteran is much too easy. Scaling of difficulty is a bit extreme. There are some issues with the balance of skills and classes as well. Not every build is feasible to use in elite. The story is non existent, as should be expected (it's really not that type of game.) It's a game where you mindlessly kill things and get loot and to try out different builds using stat/skill allocations. For 20 bucks the game is fair and not too expensive to play. You'll probably get bored of it after finishing the game story for 4 classes, regardless of difficulty - unless you are looking to beat the game on elite for all 4 classes. Just an FYI, outlander and embermage are extremely overpowered when compared to engineer and berserker based on the current patch. Buy it if you want to kill some time with a relatively fun (but short lived game). Expand
  86. Nov 2, 2012
    The game deserves a 7/10. Giving it a 0 to counter all the people who just hate D3 (before writing a word about TL2 they rant about Diablo.)
    THE GOOD: The pet system is a lot better than the follower system in D3/D2, it is awesome to send them back to town and continue fighting and they can cast spells which is useful. The music in the game is fantastic and will be very familiar to anyone who has played Diablo 2 (Matt Uleman). The artwork is simple but well done and so are the animations. There is a lot to customize (stat points, skill points, jewels, spells, gear, enchanting, etc.)
    THE BAD:The story is beyond horrible (mostly just confusing nonsense). Skills are very hit and miss (some great, some pointless), the skill trees don't seem to be organized well and the player levels so often that the points feel less important. On that note the standard game only allows you to reset your last 3 skills which was a bad design decision (there are mods but players shouldn't have to "fix" the game). The loot is okay although the "unique" items aren't that impressive. The boss fights aren't really memorable and a lot of them were fairly easy. The game also crashed several times and had some issues when playing online.

OVERALL: Played through the game once and probably won't play it again. It has some serious design flaws and a terrible story. Nowhere near the level of DIablo 2, don't let these reviews fool you.
  87. Jan 11, 2013
    I love the first Torchlight and played it though numerous times. Despite alot of things being better in TL2, something it missing. The game is just plain old boring. The skills are mindless with zero depth. You'll be using the same 2-3 abilities from lvl 1 right to the end of the game. Gear seams to matter little apart from better stats. I was able to finish this game once... barelyI love the first Torchlight and played it though numerous times. Despite alot of things being better in TL2, something it missing. The game is just plain old boring. The skills are mindless with zero depth. You'll be using the same 2-3 abilities from lvl 1 right to the end of the game. Gear seams to matter little apart from better stats. I was able to finish this game once... barely (not from difficulty but from tedium) and haven't touched it since. Its really too bad, had this simply been TL1 + multiplayer it would've rocked. As it stands, its just bland... Expand
  88. Apr 28, 2013
    Irrespective of my opinion of torchlight 2. First of all let me congratulate the developers for having offline and LAN play, i wish AAA publishers would still treat us with respect.

Now, why this game wasn't for me is because of the story. What story? You are right, there isn't any! And being a guy that likes story along with the gameplay aspect of the game, i was not very immersed in it.
    This game does so much right! But without a decent story and a narrative to drive it forward, i couldn't get into it (i played it single player though). And that pains me.

However if you are a person who plays with his/her friends in a co-op setting. You'll have definitely more fun that i did. Or if u don't care about this story.
    Like i said before this game does so much right an awesome class system, leveling up system (although it happened far less then i required it to happen :P), pets and there roles, unique art style and the combat system.
    All let down by the game's storyline.
    This is my honest opinion about the game. But if you are someone who doesn't care about a story and just wants to focus on the combat and leveling up his/her character then ignore this review and buy the game...seriously
  89. May 19, 2013
    An uninspired Diablo 2 clone, dumbed down for the kiddies. It's much too easy. In three hours on Hard I might have drunk three health potions. There's no sense of world, no persistent characters, and no storyline to speak of. There's not even a world map to give you any sense of this world you're expected to save. It fails as a game, and it fails as a story.
  90. Sep 21, 2012
    This is the best dungeon crawler game ever. As much as I like the first Torchlight, this one is a great sequel. I've been waiting for this game since it was first revealed. It's much better than Diablo 3. Stop hating this game just because your save game was deleted for the beta. It was a beta release not the final release. Stop whining and buy the game.
  91. Sep 21, 2012
    I'm not a huge fan of hack and slash RPGs, but i played Titan Quest and Diablo III. Torchlight II is so good, addictive game. It will become classic game.
  92. Oct 5, 2012
    Something interesting...Digital Spy a "Critic" review gave Torchlight II, a 20$ game a 60/100 because it's not innovative, which in fact it is. The same company gave Diablo III an 80/100. Simply put, there are morons out in this world that have no clue how to be a critic and give an unbiased review. The fans couldn't have asked more out of a $20 game and I got more than I wanted playingSomething interesting...Digital Spy a "Critic" review gave Torchlight II, a 20$ game a 60/100 because it's not innovative, which in fact it is. The same company gave Diablo III an 80/100. Simply put, there are morons out in this world that have no clue how to be a critic and give an unbiased review. The fans couldn't have asked more out of a $20 game and I got more than I wanted playing Torchlight II. At least it has meaningful skill trees and stat points, and of course PvP, more than you could say for the "highly polished" Diablo III in the words of Digital Spy... Expand
  93. Apr 13, 2013
    Bueno, primera review que hago, le doy 8 puntos a este juego no solo porque me encantan gran parte de los juegos Hack n' Slash, los gráficos son muy buenos, el estilo de juego es muy simple, el loot esta bien organizado. Lo malo es que varias veces no se entiende al momento de pelar contra muchísimos enemigos a la vez, esta bien agregar una alta cantidad de monstruos a la vez, pero resultaBueno, primera review que hago, le doy 8 puntos a este juego no solo porque me encantan gran parte de los juegos Hack n' Slash, los gráficos son muy buenos, el estilo de juego es muy simple, el loot esta bien organizado. Lo malo es que varias veces no se entiende al momento de pelar contra muchísimos enemigos a la vez, esta bien agregar una alta cantidad de monstruos a la vez, pero resulta odioso que no entiendas nada cunado peleas. La historia no es muy buena que digamos, y el muy poco voice acting que hay en el juego es muy horrible, pero dentro de todo es muy divertido, el multiplayer para mi esta bastante bueno y esta bien que el loot sea separado, asi no se realizan ninguna pelea entre los miembros del grupo. Es muy barato y se los recomiendo, si a ustedes les gusto Torchlight 1, les va a encantar Torchlight 2. Expand
  94. Jul 15, 2013
    Like a true master of PR, Runic Games released their Torchlight 2 very close to Blizzards' Diablo 3. The differences between the two games seem subtle at first, but become very apparent when playing either game for a longer time. This review will put these two games side by side, because it seems the best way to get the point of this review across: Runic has taken everything that madeLike a true master of PR, Runic Games released their Torchlight 2 very close to Blizzards' Diablo 3. The differences between the two games seem subtle at first, but become very apparent when playing either game for a longer time. This review will put these two games side by side, because it seems the best way to get the point of this review across: Runic has taken everything that made Torchlight and Diablo great, and added everything it was missing to achieve near-perfection.

Big plus One: Freedom & Pricing
    TL2 is a game without DRM. It is also a game that costs far less than Diablo 3. To top it off, you get the editor along with it, opening up the way for mod communities to go wild on it. Where Diablo 3 offers a single, linear storyline with replayability only through ramping up the difficulty, TL2 offers a neverending Mapworks along with it, which keeps spawning random maps to play with various penalties or bonuses.

Big Plus Two: Customization and Character building
    Where Diablo 3 served players with an ever-increasing amount of options that could be 'respecced' as often as you wanted, TL2 offers skill trees that restrict and allow the use of specific, tailored builds and more variety in playstyles. TL2 offers a small selection of class-specific gear to find, while everything else, from weapons to armor and jewelry, is usable by every single class, again adding variety within a single class where D3 offers none.

Big Plus Three: Actually gaming, instead of worrying about money or lag.
    Where Diablo 3 offered a launch that was far from smooth, TL2 has no compulsory always-online, and no Real Money Auction House that completely destroyed in-game economy and fueled hordes of account hackers and monetary issues. Better yet, TL2 has no lag and plays more responsively, quicker and with far less issues and zero downtime. It sounds ridiculously obvious, and it is exactly that.

Regardless of the existence of Diablo, Torchlight 2 simply is one of the most enjoyable dungeon crawlers on the market. Even recent patches to both games have not managed to change this perspective.

The only advantage granted to Diablo 3 over TL2, is that it has a larger online community, but I seriously question whether D3 also has the larger amount of satisfied players.
  95. Jun 29, 2014
    Ever since Diablo 2, the excellent hack'n'slash game I really enjoyed and spent days and days with it is Torchlight 2 the only game which is at the similar level. It has its own cartoon graphic and the game play is just...so catchy. Four difficulty levels with possibility to go NG+5 gives you pretty satisfying challenge. (and legendary drop items are not ruined by some stupid onlineEver since Diablo 2, the excellent hack'n'slash game I really enjoyed and spent days and days with it is Torchlight 2 the only game which is at the similar level. It has its own cartoon graphic and the game play is just...so catchy. Four difficulty levels with possibility to go NG+5 gives you pretty satisfying challenge. (and legendary drop items are not ruined by some stupid online auction houses) Expand
  96. Sep 21, 2012
    Fantastic and addictive. So much loot. The aesthetics are unique and work well with graphic limitations. In five or ten years this game will still be pleasing to the eye, while other more realistic games of this era will not hold up so well. I do wish there was more to the character/pet creation and a pet skill tree would be great.
  97. Sep 24, 2012
    Beautiful game! A true deserving successor of Diablo I and II and basically the only point-click ARPG left that keeps intact the initial roots that made them so successful.
    As many of us here, I bought Diablo 3 waiting for an amazing new era of the benchmark of ARPGs, however I was completely disappointed and disgusted with what they made out of it. Torchlight 2 on the other hand, did almost everything right this time around. It kept the same feeling of continuous exploration/adventure by having randomized maps. It kept the quirky little things that made the game special for most of us, like scrolls, spells dropping from mobs, town portals, etc. Most importantly it also got the loot system right!! They do understand what is what made Diablo I and II successful regarding loot system, things like having random gear sets dropping from mobs from level 1, keeping the hierarchy of rare items and managing to keep an interesting socketing system without being overpowered. The talent system and character progression is the same old (in a good way) system from Torchlight I and Diablo I and II, which allows you to have a dual progress of your character by having a spell's tree and a character attributes customization. Now on to what Torchlight offers IN TOP of getting the old school mechanics right. 1) Pets and fishing, still a side dish to the game but amazingly fun and interactive to what you do. 2) Weapons, great deal of them!! and actually viable weapon switches. I don't feel pigeon holed into a weapon that "my class is supposed to use". 3) Classes, yes!!!, they managed to do a different style of classes without screwing up, now there are not entirely different per say, but a little twist here and there in each one of them keeps it fresh. Now the things that need improving: Internet multiplayer system is very outdated. This is probably the only place where D3 has the upper hand. Of course, we are talking about a $20 game with 2-3 years of development VS millions of $ + 10 years + global online infrastructure (battle.net) + $60 price tag. The other part than could be better are graphics and sound. While graphics have a nice approach with the cartoonish style, they really could use a better engine. Sound is unfortunately lackluster, the quality of it I mean. Conclusion: Best point-click Action RPG since Diablo 2, plain a simple. It deserves a 10/10 because above all we are talking about a $20 game, that did everything right plus more. Could use improvements in the multiplayer internet system, graphics and sound, but for it's price tag I feel that we are getting FAR more. Finally, the support that as customers we should provide to this team and Runic, they clearly have the TALENT there without the greediness and sloppy ideas that made Diablo 3 fail, at the end of the day I think is about having Talented people designing the game, and that's what this team has and Blizzard doesn't anymore.
  98. Oct 3, 2012
    I wish i could rate this game higher, but the game has some problems i just cant get around. But first, the good: The music is wounderfull, it has a very Diablo 2 feel and i absolutely love it. The price is awesome and i hope the tactic works in their favour. The amount of freedom in how you build and play your character is splendid, im not locked in the same way as you were in Diablo 3.I wish i could rate this game higher, but the game has some problems i just cant get around. But first, the good: The music is wounderfull, it has a very Diablo 2 feel and i absolutely love it. The price is awesome and i hope the tactic works in their favour. The amount of freedom in how you build and play your character is splendid, im not locked in the same way as you were in Diablo 3. And its a pretty lenghty game with multiplayer for added enjoyment and longlivity. And now for the bad: My biggest problem with this game, and what stops me from enjoying myself is the iOS game feeling i get from it. The controlls feels clunky and unresponsive, as i hit enemies my attacks have no "impact" no "ompf!" it just feels like im flailing around in nothingness and yet stuff is dying. There is problems with the accurateness of the mousepointer also, more then often i find myself accidently picking up stuff i do not want or struggeling with clicking on something that i want to use thanks to the pointer not acctually beeing where it tells me it is. I do not know if this is a problem with just my system, ive tried mixing around with mouse settings in setpoint and disabled my other monitors if the game had some problems with my eyefinity setup but still, the problem persists. The graphics, althou very nice, mixed with the clunkyness of the menues adds to the feeling that i am playing a game ported from an iPad to a PC, which is not the case. All in all this is a good game that would have been a great game if it was not for the iOS-game feeling i get from it. Expand
  99. Oct 7, 2012
    I think this looks exactly the same as torchlight I. The surroundings are constant, and I feel like what you're playing is the same dungeon over and over. And co-op isn't that funny with this game at all. The only thing keeping this game at some level of interest is the graphics. The spells can sometimes look kinda cool, but besides that, I find nothing good with this game. So yeah, like II think this looks exactly the same as torchlight I. The surroundings are constant, and I feel like what you're playing is the same dungeon over and over. And co-op isn't that funny with this game at all. The only thing keeping this game at some level of interest is the graphics. The spells can sometimes look kinda cool, but besides that, I find nothing good with this game. So yeah, like I said, this game contains no variety at all and the environment is non-changing. So if you want a game with just one dungeon, then feel free to buy this game. I want variety, that's why this game gets a 3/10. Expand
  100. Sep 20, 2012
    I'm really happy with my purchase. The game was only $20 dollars and well worth the price. Torchlight 2 is a standard hack-n-slash game. Knowing that I still enjoy it. I'm a little disappointed that there's only four classes to choose from but aside from that the game is polished and well designed. The best part of this game is that it has multiplayer online, LAN play and single playerI'm really happy with my purchase. The game was only $20 dollars and well worth the price. Torchlight 2 is a standard hack-n-slash game. Knowing that I still enjoy it. I'm a little disappointed that there's only four classes to choose from but aside from that the game is polished and well designed. The best part of this game is that it has multiplayer online, LAN play and single player offline mode. What a novel concept. Torchlight 2 is everything Diablo 3 *should* have been but failed miserably to do. Expand

Torchlight 2 offers everything an action RPG fan wants: a huge campaign, variety of enemies, a rich system of quality loot, well-balanced and fresh classes with different build options, care-free and fun multiplayer modes. [November 2012]
  2. Dec 13, 2012
    Sure, it might not reinvent the wheel as built by Diablo II over a decade ago, but Runic deserves props for perfectly recreating the formula. Many others have tried to bring their own take on Diablo to the market-and failed. Runic didn't, which makes Torchlight II an essential purchase for anyone who loves to crawl through dungeons while scoring phat loot.
  3. Nov 25, 2012
    A slick action RPG with wit and charm, this is a genuine alternative to Diablo III. [Christmas 2012, p.93]