Torchlight II PC

8.6

1. Nov 5, 2012
    Overall Torchlight 2 expands over the first one and improves in pretty much in every way, despite some network issues it may have from time to time, players will surely enjoy the multiplayer experiences and if not they can dabble on the single player experience which like the multiplayer can be experienced through different difficulties. You have a pretty decent customization options forOverall Torchlight 2 expands over the first one and improves in pretty much in every way, despite some network issues it may have from time to time, players will surely enjoy the multiplayer experiences and if not they can dabble on the single player experience which like the multiplayer can be experienced through different difficulties. You have a pretty decent customization options for your characters and can easily build up any class in any possible way. The graphical details have improved from the game, the sound effects and music are kept the similar to the first game. Pretty much TL2 consists of all the good aspects of TL1 plus more. Expand
  2. Feb 25, 2013
    This game is a huge improvement since the first one (though the first was pretty cool too!), Runic Games fixed the things that were annoying in the original. For example, they have diversified the scenery and your hero travels to different locations instead of digging the same mine in the first game. Also there are a lot of fun things to do besides the main quests: you can search forThis game is a huge improvement since the first one (though the first was pretty cool too!), Runic Games fixed the things that were annoying in the original. For example, they have diversified the scenery and your hero travels to different locations instead of digging the same mine in the first game. Also there are a lot of fun things to do besides the main quests: you can search for secrets, kill unique champion monsters or scan the maps for side quests. But of course the main step forward is adding multiplayer COOP. Awesome! Comparing to D3: YES, T2 is better! It's just more fun to play, more addictive. The only thing in which D3 is better is storyline/cinematics, it's just more epic and dramatic. Expand
  3. Jun 22, 2016
    A significant improvement upon its predecessor, Torchlight II is a solid step forward on the road to the ideal ARPG. It's charming art style, overall fast paced gameplay and mostly forgiving features, including a choice of difficulty setting, also make it a good entry point for those new to the genre, as well as offering a good challenge to the experienced dungeon crawler. The major changeA significant improvement upon its predecessor, Torchlight II is a solid step forward on the road to the ideal ARPG. It's charming art style, overall fast paced gameplay and mostly forgiving features, including a choice of difficulty setting, also make it a good entry point for those new to the genre, as well as offering a good challenge to the experienced dungeon crawler. The major change this time around is the addition of up to six-player cooperative play online, where the first game bizarrely lacked any multiplayer at all. The story is still somewhat sparse, again shoehorning the player into the role of damage control regarding the actions of a villain who, infuriatingly, will always look cooler then your character, and your character has no spoken dialogue with other characters. The classes do however have satisfyingly varied and powerful abilities and the combat feels very chunky, thanks to good sound design, enemies exploding on a critical kill and an overall focus on powerful single attacks. However, this installment inherits some of the first game's biggest problems: you are required to mainline potions to both to stay alive and keep your mana up, you may go hours without finding better gear and the champion monsters are much more powerful then the actual level bosses, sometimes outrageously so. I found myself dying regularly in the final act even on normal, though this costs you nothing should you choose to respawn in town, coupled with a total lack of an item durability mechanic (a huge plus that other games could learn from- I'm looking at you, Diablo 3). In addition, only unique gear is actually flavored towards your class, leaving you looking like a scrappy scavenger for most of your playthrough. You can also only refund your last three skill points spent and cannot redistribute your attribute points at all. Any of the above issues are easily remedied by using the game’s integral mod support or the Rapid Respec editor, the latter of which also allows you to resurrect a dead “hardcore” character. After playing through the game once as an Engineer without mods, I played as an Outlander using several mods, most notably a "double points" mod that gives you 10 attribute and 2 skill points per level, and a mod that scales all enemies and bosses to your current level whenever you enter a different zone. Having the right mod setup really enhances the game experience overall and I recommend giving it a shot as soon as you feel comfortable doing so. The pet system remains very useful, now including the ability to have your pet buy potions and scrolls for you in addition to selling your vendor trash, and this time around it seems your pet can take more then being looked at funny before losing all its health. This game also retains the absolutely enchanting musical talents of Matt Uelman, the music man behind Diablo's equally compelling soundtrack. In spite of its problems, Torchlight II is an excellent title with excellent mods, and well worth your time. Expand
  4. Oct 20, 2013
    It has tons of loot. It has great classes with great skill trees, making this game have many different ways to play in, resulting in a high replay value.

It has 4 different difficulty levels. And if you finish the game, you get access to the mapworks, where you can buy new maps and finish them. You can also access the New Game+, where you start the entire game all over again, but with keeping all your acquired stats and items. That's a really cool feature.

The environments are varied between deserts, forests, underground mines. The dungeons are impressive, with exciting boss fights as well. Visually, the game's good enough, although the graphics were not very detailed.

Perhaps the only thing that kept this game from being amazing was the plot. It didn't really engage me in any ways. Same thing for the characters.
  5. Jul 1, 2013
    I wasn't very fond of the first Torchlight game, mainly because I kinda never grew up with Diablo games (I was too young when Diablo came and I couldn't understand how RPG worked), but as a game itself it was pretty fun...for about 10 hours. Infact the first game lacked a bit of variation and I just couldn't help myself to continue. TL2 however improves everything from the first, and II wasn't very fond of the first Torchlight game, mainly because I kinda never grew up with Diablo games (I was too young when Diablo came and I couldn't understand how RPG worked), but as a game itself it was pretty fun...for about 10 hours. Infact the first game lacked a bit of variation and I just couldn't help myself to continue. TL2 however improves everything from the first, and I will sum it up in 2 BIG points.

1)When I bought this game, I was impressed by how it was open and how big it became: we have 4 classes now and each have their own skill set and they do feel unique, even though we lost some "unique" feature from the previous game (the destroyer was big, the alchemist was slim, and the ranger was a pretty gorgeous woman). That aside, the game is BIG although it still lacked variation and while I do play it more than the previous game, I still get bored pretty quickly (and the story is kinda non existant). We also get the online play but I really hardly tried it and there's not many people online, and if they are they're usually higher level than me, which meant I was a a pain for them. Still a good thing however.
    Definitely a good rpg to play anyway I didn't dislike it at all...until...

2)...the day the mods came. NOW the fun really began! While we kinda lost the possibility to play online (we still can, but it requires that you have the exact addons that the host has), the game is so much amplified and varied now: modders always give us new classes (I just restarted with one), new features (dungeons, customizations, pets), new icons and HUDs, and many other things that actually makes you wanna try out for good. The only downside is that you can only put 10 mods at the time (probably for the online feature), but right now the mods makes this game much more varied and enjoyable to try out.

In other words, it was a good game before but now it's even better and I can't wait to see more mods to come; add the fact that is still a huge game (even bigger now!), and the price is pretty cheap too, you can easily spend a ton of hours only experimenting stuff and mods (even though it still suffers from being repetitive and some skills tend to be pretty useless). This is a very solid game and a great sequel to the original Torchlight: if you like Diablo style game (it's the closest genre I can recall), give it a try and enjoy the exploration.
  6. Apr 28, 2013
    For the Diablo fans disappointed by the changes made to the most recent game in the series, Torchlight II will make them feel right at home. Runic Games has basically taken the gameplay and story from Diablo II and set it in the world of Torchlight. However, this is also the game’s Achilles Heel as it might feel a bit too similar to some.
  7. Oct 28, 2013
    Lots of fun, whether alone or with friends. Tons of different monsters, cool levels, and of course items with plenty of room for enchantments and embers to further customize your equipment. I never really got into the story and felt nothing for the characters, but that isn't the point of this game nor was it the reason I played it. Fun to play and definitely recommended if you love ARPGLots of fun, whether alone or with friends. Tons of different monsters, cool levels, and of course items with plenty of room for enchantments and embers to further customize your equipment. I never really got into the story and felt nothing for the characters, but that isn't the point of this game nor was it the reason I played it. Fun to play and definitely recommended if you love ARPG games like Diablo. Expand
  8. Sep 25, 2012
    Completely addictive, with superb graphics and many many varying enemies and landscapes (no more boring - repetitive dungeon after dungeon gaming) !! Players don't have to limit their characters on one development tree anymore, but there can be combinations of spells and possibilities. Took the good old Torchlight some light years beyond. I really love it and I highly recommend it ( ICompletely addictive, with superb graphics and many many varying enemies and landscapes (no more boring - repetitive dungeon after dungeon gaming) !! Players don't have to limit their characters on one development tree anymore, but there can be combinations of spells and possibilities. Took the good old Torchlight some light years beyond. I really love it and I highly recommend it ( I haven't played Diablo 3 yet and I don't think I will either). Expand
  9. Feb 12, 2014
    I got this game from a steam sale for $5 and I can't believe what I was missing. Honestly I was looking for that Diablo 2 feeling and D3 disappointed me. Once I got this I couldn't believe how fun it was, I mean literally everything is fun, even selling things which can sometimes be a chore is a breeze just by loading up your pet and sending him to town. Awesome Game.
  10. Dec 19, 2012
    While it lacks Diablo 3's looks with it's cartoon dayglow colours and simpler art style, it certainly makes up for it in every other way, the game is faster paced, feels more sturdy and sticks largely to the original diablo methods for skill trees and prgression. Loot side of things is right up there with Borderlands series.... theres simply tonnes of stuff, and thankfully without a godWhile it lacks Diablo 3's looks with it's cartoon dayglow colours and simpler art style, it certainly makes up for it in every other way, the game is faster paced, feels more sturdy and sticks largely to the original diablo methods for skill trees and prgression. Loot side of things is right up there with Borderlands series.... theres simply tonnes of stuff, and thankfully without a god aweful action house you have to actualy earn everything.

A perfect companion game to Diablo 3, different enough to feel different doing the same thing.
  11. Jan 12, 2013
    Torchlight II is a great game, and only costs 14 pounds which is amazing considering the amount of content you get. Runic Games once again have done a good job!
  12. Sep 30, 2012
    My Torchlight II review was deleted for some reason. It was rated very high as being a helpful review. I don't understand why it was deleted. Is Metacritic censoring people now? That's not a good way to get an accurate community opinion, but whatever, Metacritic is not the website that I thought it was.... Anyway, Im giving Torchlight II a 10 out of 10 because it is just plain fun, thereMy Torchlight II review was deleted for some reason. It was rated very high as being a helpful review. I don't understand why it was deleted. Is Metacritic censoring people now? That's not a good way to get an accurate community opinion, but whatever, Metacritic is not the website that I thought it was.... Anyway, Im giving Torchlight II a 10 out of 10 because it is just plain fun, there is no other way to describe it. I don't understand how Blizzard took some 10 years to release a $60 game that failed so badly, while Runic took less than 3 years to release a $20 game that is universally loved. I feel sorry for all the people that were pulled into Diablo 3 by all the nostalgia only to find a real money pay to win auction house, and a constantly online DRM system designed to punish people that actually bought the game. Runic really likes their fans, and everything about Torchlight II shows that they really listen to them. Thank you Runic for showing the world how game companies are supposed to operate. Blizzard may have made more money by selling fake nostalgia, but Runic gained a lot more fans by selling a real product. Expand
  13. Apr 9, 2013
    EXACTLY like Diablo! This game just feels like someone literally took the programming from the old Diablo games and then just drastically improved and modernized the graphics and gameplay. Then, to avoid copyrights they changed the storyline and graphics JUST ENOUGH to pass it off as a new game. The storyline is IDENTICAL to Diablo, just new names and faces in place of the old ones. It isEXACTLY like Diablo! This game just feels like someone literally took the programming from the old Diablo games and then just drastically improved and modernized the graphics and gameplay. Then, to avoid copyrights they changed the storyline and graphics JUST ENOUGH to pass it off as a new game. The storyline is IDENTICAL to Diablo, just new names and faces in place of the old ones. It is hilarious. If you missed the old Diablo games, Torchlight II is the modern reincarnate.
    Though this game is plenty of fun for me, I cannot help but feel most of the fun is based off nostalgia. This game does not offer cutting edge modern gameplay, it is a take on a classic. However, this game set out to recreate an old experience with new value and they aced it. GJ Runic!
  14. Jan 21, 2017
    best rpg ever
    positive

+ loot feels better and cooler then diablo
    + sweet graphics
    + cool enemies
    + combat
    negative
    - story is not as good as diablo 3
    but without the story this is the best rpg ever
  15. Mar 22, 2016
    Desperately needing a break from PoE and frustrated with Diablo 3, Torchlight II looked like a good avenue to venture down. Glad I did because even single player is fun, I was hooked all the way until high level and a full set of legendary items. I didn't think I would enjoy the graphics as much as I did, but they fit in well with this game and most of the scenery is cool to look at. TheDesperately needing a break from PoE and frustrated with Diablo 3, Torchlight II looked like a good avenue to venture down. Glad I did because even single player is fun, I was hooked all the way until high level and a full set of legendary items. I didn't think I would enjoy the graphics as much as I did, but they fit in well with this game and most of the scenery is cool to look at. The extras and secrets are rewarding and fun to go after and the boss fights are sometimes challenging. The map layouts and higher difficulty play can get a bit repetitive, but it never really gets in the way of the enjoyment factor. There are also mods available that make the adventure more interesting and co-op play is fun as well. Expand
  16. Aug 15, 2013
    I don't usually give out 10s, even amazing games with tons of playtime and play value get a 9. But Torchlight II is unbelievably fun. I've played through the entire game and started a New Game Plus and it's still fun! I played the original FATE game (and it's predecessors) a long time ago, and I loved them so much I was ecstatic to hear about a modern remake, and they did not disappoint inI don't usually give out 10s, even amazing games with tons of playtime and play value get a 9. But Torchlight II is unbelievably fun. I've played through the entire game and started a New Game Plus and it's still fun! I played the original FATE game (and it's predecessors) a long time ago, and I loved them so much I was ecstatic to hear about a modern remake, and they did not disappoint in any area! In fact, even though I hold FATE as a classic and precious to me because of personal memories, Torchlight II may even be better. Expand
  17. Nov 9, 2014
    If you were never a big fan of these types of games, I suggest trying Torchlight II. It might change your opinion of the genre entirely, like it did for me. I haven't found a single aspect of the game to gripe about yet, it's just incredibly fun all around.
  18. Jan 20, 2013
    For every 1000 indie products, there comes one that is so great that it makes all the crappy rest worth it. Torchlight is one of those games. It's not only the best ARPG ever made but it is packed with content that will keep you occupied for all eternity. The only place where their budgetless indie studio lacked was in the cinematics and voice acting. Perhaps they opted not to spend tooFor every 1000 indie products, there comes one that is so great that it makes all the crappy rest worth it. Torchlight is one of those games. It's not only the best ARPG ever made but it is packed with content that will keep you occupied for all eternity. The only place where their budgetless indie studio lacked was in the cinematics and voice acting. Perhaps they opted not to spend too much on those, focusing instead on the gameplay. Smart decision. Still, the voice acting and cinematics are bad they actually makes me cringe and stop them fast before I feel bad for the talentless people who made them. This is why Torchlight II is a 9 instead of a 10. Expand
  19. Feb 16, 2016
    I'm big on all kinds of rpg games but this is one of the few where I actually levelled all the way up to Lv.100. I am still not fully done with this game. That alone speaks volumes.
  20. Apr 3, 2013
    Overall the game is as fun as the first one if you like ARPGs. I particularly liked the fact that there were various traps throughout the game that made you a little uneasy but weren't truly deadly. The pet continues to be an enjoyable aspect although you never really get any strong attachment to it. It's really just a pack mule but being able to send it to town for supplies is prettyOverall the game is as fun as the first one if you like ARPGs. I particularly liked the fact that there were various traps throughout the game that made you a little uneasy but weren't truly deadly. The pet continues to be an enjoyable aspect although you never really get any strong attachment to it. It's really just a pack mule but being able to send it to town for supplies is pretty neat.

Unlike the last game this one has a few more problems than normal. The biggest issue I had was graphical glitches. This was especially common in the desert regions where it was trying to paint bushes. They'd just flicker. There were others though. The creatures had different names and skins but the same set appeared in every area so there wasn't a lot of variety.

The gear was lackluster after about the middle of the game. I wish there was more gear. I had hopes with the crafting to be able to get better gear but you always get worse based upon the algorithm used. It made crafting effectively useless. One particularly annoying issue is that you can hide levels of items from the screen (white, blue, etc) but they are still there. Oftentimes when you are clicking to pick up something you'll accidently pick up these hidden items instead. It sort of defeats the purpose of filtering. If I don't want to see certain items then I shouldn't be able to pick them up.

Perhaps the worst issue is with the champions and bosses. Pretty much every one of them has teleport. This means you'll be hitting on them and they'll just move elsewhere. This extends the battle but is more frustrating than challenging. It's almost like it is a crutch that was used way too often.

Finally I felt some of the later levels were really long for no reason other than to be really long. Especially in the final levels of the game they just went on and on for no real good reason.

Overall though I consider T2 to be a very good ARPG, especially compared to others in this genre. It is about as close to Diablo 2 as you can get (although I still think Titans Quest is better).
  21. Oct 9, 2012
    My thoughts about this game were crystalized while playing with my wife. Steam went down. Our LAN game kept right on working as if nothing had ever happened... unlike with Diablo 3, where a server hiccup gets you killed. I could stop there, but the game is more fun, the items are more enjoyable to find due to more interesting effects, building up a character is more fun (and permanent).My thoughts about this game were crystalized while playing with my wife. Steam went down. Our LAN game kept right on working as if nothing had ever happened... unlike with Diablo 3, where a server hiccup gets you killed. I could stop there, but the game is more fun, the items are more enjoyable to find due to more interesting effects, building up a character is more fun (and permanent). Sure the graphics are simpler, but they work really well and for $20 they're definitely up to the task. The bottom line here is that this is what DIablo 3 should have been. Expand
  22. Sep 29, 2012
    This game is what Diablo 3 should have been. There is nothing else that needs to be said but Metacritic has a 150 minimum character requirement. The difficulty is more consistent than Diablo 3 and the game is not afraid to challenge you. The skill trees (yes, there are skill trees) are well thought out and reward focusing your point distributions. The loot is copious, the enemy varietyThis game is what Diablo 3 should have been. There is nothing else that needs to be said but Metacritic has a 150 minimum character requirement. The difficulty is more consistent than Diablo 3 and the game is not afraid to challenge you. The skill trees (yes, there are skill trees) are well thought out and reward focusing your point distributions. The loot is copious, the enemy variety refreshing, and the gameplay is like crack cocaine. Get over the cartoony look, get over the generic story and buy this game and play it. Expand
  23. Jul 25, 2013
    Torchlight 2 is the sequel of Torchlight and is much better, because it has a coop mode, is better designed and is more fun! It looks good, it has the Steam workshop and an editor. You will have a long time fun with it!
  24. Nov 18, 2013
    Single Player/Multi Player (2/2)

(If the single player is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no multplayer) (If the multiplayer is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no single player) Gameplay (2/2) Visuals/Story (1/2) (If the visuals are better than the story, review this section as if it had no story) (If the story is
    Single Player/Multi Player (2/2)

Gameplay (2/2)

Visuals/Story (1/2)

Accessibility/Longevity (2/2)

Pricing (2/2)

Wildcard (0)

25. Sep 20, 2012
    This right here? This is what we were expecting from diablo 3. It's everything you loved from the first with sugar on top. No always online drm lots of options graphically and easy to switch between *LAN* (more games should do this, this one sports lan people!) internet and single player. Did I mention there's no always online drm? It bears repeating. If you like diablo 1/2 and the firstThis right here? This is what we were expecting from diablo 3. It's everything you loved from the first with sugar on top. No always online drm lots of options graphically and easy to switch between *LAN* (more games should do this, this one sports lan people!) internet and single player. Did I mention there's no always online drm? It bears repeating. If you like diablo 1/2 and the first torchlight and similar top down hack and slash rpgs you owe it to yourself to get this game. Expand
  26. Jan 26, 2013
    a really fun game, i got tired of the combat quick, but the weapons armor and enchantments always keep you intrigued. i enjoy it played 6 hours so far and am hoping to finish the game soon. the graphics are cartoony and colorful. fun game worth getting.
  27. Oct 8, 2012
    This game getes a 10/10. I've played it since the release and I've played over 40 hours, and counting. Customization, great multiplayer, exploration, great rewards, fast leveling, and insane skills make this game a must-have. I can make a tank with ANY class, I can make a DPS with ANY class, I can make an Elemental DPS with ANY class, I can make an all-around with ANY class, etc. ThisThis game getes a 10/10. I've played it since the release and I've played over 40 hours, and counting. Customization, great multiplayer, exploration, great rewards, fast leveling, and insane skills make this game a must-have. I can make a tank with ANY class, I can make a DPS with ANY class, I can make an Elemental DPS with ANY class, I can make an all-around with ANY class, etc. This game offers the customization that D3 SHOULD have had. If you liked D2, you will LOVE this. Expand
  28. Oct 10, 2013
    This game is very well made and better than the original in all respects, but it’s only fun up to a point. The story is basically non-existent (like most games in this genre) so once the loot collecting & pointing and clicking get tedious, you’ll struggle for a reason to continue. The graphics at least stay fresh and give every area its own identity, but even though you feel like you’reThis game is very well made and better than the original in all respects, but it’s only fun up to a point. The story is basically non-existent (like most games in this genre) so once the loot collecting & pointing and clicking get tedious, you’ll struggle for a reason to continue. The graphics at least stay fresh and give every area its own identity, but even though you feel like you’re exploring different places, you’re always doing the exact same thing in those places, which is clicking to kill monsters. A whole lot of monsters. Over & over again.

One huge plus is the devs opening the game up to the Steam Workshop. That has allowed people to make some incredible mods that add depth and fun to the game not included with the original version. That combined with the low price move this one up from a 7 to an 8 for me.

I might force myself to sit through a couple more hours of clicking so I can click all the way through to the end, just to say I did, but I’ll certainly never go back and start a new game over. If these types of games are your cup of tea, though, you’ll like it a lot and should pick it up.
  29. May 18, 2014
    Not being a fan of adventure games, I find, however, that Torchlight II is an excellent game, the best in its class, some contradict me, but that's my opinion. Torchlight II is a game with a well-crafted story, the graphics are beautiful, and even if you can only include 4 classes, classes are not less desirable. Each has its own attacks its own objects, and each complete with others. TheNot being a fan of adventure games, I find, however, that Torchlight II is an excellent game, the best in its class, some contradict me, but that's my opinion. Torchlight II is a game with a well-crafted story, the graphics are beautiful, and even if you can only include 4 classes, classes are not less desirable. Each has its own attacks its own objects, and each complete with others. The game is also good solo and co-op, although still play two more fun. In short, a game not to be missed, and play with a friend. Expand
  30. Jan 27, 2013
    Diablo 3 done right. Very customization skill tree and equipment that actually make the game enjoyable. It is undoubtedly worth the low price it is going for.

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Feb 6, 2013
    Torchlight 2 offers everything an action RPG fan wants: a huge campaign, variety of enemies, a rich system of quality loot, well-balanced and fresh classes with different build options, care-free and fun multiplayer modes. [November 2012]
  2. Dec 13, 2012
    Sure, it might not reinvent the wheel as built by Diablo II over a decade ago, but Runic deserves props for perfectly recreating the formula. Many others have tried to bring their own take on Diablo to the market-and failed. Runic didn't, which makes Torchlight II an essential purchase for anyone who loves to crawl through dungeons while scoring phat loot.
  3. Games Master UK
    Nov 25, 2012
    A slick action RPG with wit and charm, this is a genuine alternative to Diablo III. [Christmas 2012, p.93]