8.6

1. Sep 21, 2012
    Torchlight 2 is far and beyond a better game/value then Diablo 3. You can mod it, you don't have to have an internet connection, and now Torchlight 2 has multiplayer! All for 20$
  2. Sep 21, 2012
    This review is for UnbiasedAndFair. I completely agree with you. I will never forget the day Blizzard stole my $60. I also agree that there are far too many positive, seemingly generic reviews on here to seem legit... Really Runic, you didn't need to do this. Either way, I've only been playing for only one day now, but truly it seems wherever D3 burned us, they got it right. TheThis review is for UnbiasedAndFair. I completely agree with you. I will never forget the day Blizzard stole my $60. I also agree that there are far too many positive, seemingly generic reviews on here to seem legit... Really Runic, you didn't need to do this. Either way, I've only been playing for only one day now, but truly it seems wherever D3 burned us, they got it right. The graphics are inferior, no doubt, but I would gladly trade that for the real successor to Diablo 2, and so far Torchlight II seems to come the closest to that mark. I give it a 8/10 cause few games deserve solid 10's and this game is no exception, but easily worth $19.99. Expand
  3. Sep 21, 2012
    Simply a awesome game I love it.
    i already lost 10 hours in the game.
    Runic Games as made for me the best A-RPG of history, since Diablo II.
    By far,one of the best games of the year.
  4. Sep 21, 2012
    This is the best dungeon crawler game ever. As much as I like the first Torchlight, this one is a great sequel. I've been waiting for this game since it was first revealed. It's much better than Diablo 3. Stop hating this game just because your save game was deleted for the beta. It was a beta release not the final release. Stop whining and buy the game.
  5. Sep 21, 2012
    The progression of loot in this game is fantastic and blowing me away. By level 10 I was already completing a useful 3 piece set bonus, had a unique weapon that gained augments by killing spiders, and had actual unique useful items. Your characters can all be unique, even if they are the same class. I already made a hunter focused berserker, and now I can't wait to re-make anotherThe progression of loot in this game is fantastic and blowing me away. By level 10 I was already completing a useful 3 piece set bonus, had a unique weapon that gained augments by killing spiders, and had actual unique useful items. Your characters can all be unique, even if they are the same class. I already made a hunter focused berserker, and now I can't wait to re-make another berserker to focus in the ice damage tree. Your decisions also hold weight, if you end up with a terrible build then you definitely won't be surviving in the harder difficulties. I love the fact that I can't just re-spec and be fine and dandy again. I feel more driven to have my character succeed because it was my own unique build and unique attributed stats, so my characters feel more personal. Pet system = amazing
    As many others have mentioned, the soundtrack is fantastic and the visuals look great. The fact that this game is only $20 makes me feel like I'm robbing Runic of such a great piece of work. Any hack n' slash fan will enjoy this game immensely.
  6. Sep 21, 2012
    This is truly a wonderful game. I am actually having fun playing this versus the endless grind and rigid, ultra simplistic game that is D3. Ton's of content and a true skill point system with none of the DRM Crap and RMAH. Thanks Runic for providing a game versus a new way to monetize gaming.
  7. Sep 21, 2012
    This game brings back the key components of classic ARPGs and gives them a good polish. The combat is fast-paced, heavy, and seamless. Character customization and the loot mechanics are also very well done. Coupled with the ability to support mods, this game is gearing up to be one of the most versatile games of this generation.
  8. Sep 21, 2012
    Torchlight 2 has finally arrived and we can put the Torchlight 2 versus Diablo 3 debate to rest... The verdict? Torchlight 2 wins hands-down!

Torchlight 2 is wonderful and deserves much praise, especially for only costing $20. One would expect Diablo 3 to be three times the game as Torchlight 2 for the asking price but that isn't the case, at all. If anything, Diablo 3 could learn quite a bit from Torchlight 2 (such as the awesome loot progression, offline play availability, LAN and mod support).

Torchlight 2 has been an entirely bug-free experience for me thus far (unlike Diablo 3's launch-- which was one of the worst I've ever experienced despite probably having one-thousand times the budget of Torchlight 2) and the game plays amazingly smooth. The battles can be epic (unlike Diablo 3's battles which usually amounted to rock, paper, scissors excercises of frustration depending on RNG) and choices actually matter.

If I had to make a complaint, I'd say Torchlight 2's story is fairly weak (Diablo 3's was as well-- laughably so, actually). About the only thing I can imagine that Diablo 3 has over Torchlight 2 that I noticed was the destructible environments. The art style is kind of a matter of preference I've found. I personally like Torchlight 2's style but can understand if some people don't (probably the same people who would willing bypass a great game like Borderlands 2 because it doesn't look like Battlefield 3-- aka, "their loss").

I would fully recommend Torchlight 2 to anyone that loves ARPG's and even if you're kind of on the edge or not sure if you'd like them or not, Torchlight 2 is probably the best, contemporary example of how one should be.
  9. Sep 21, 2012
    Runic Games are the blue collar developers of this generation, they care about the consumer and want to make the best games possible, profits are the least of their concerns and it shows. Torchlight II is incredibly good value for money as you will easily enjoy it regardless of who you are. It offers many versatile experiences and endless potential to waste hours and hours into. If yourRunic Games are the blue collar developers of this generation, they care about the consumer and want to make the best games possible, profits are the least of their concerns and it shows. Torchlight II is incredibly good value for money as you will easily enjoy it regardless of who you are. It offers many versatile experiences and endless potential to waste hours and hours into. If your going to buy one game this year, make sure it is this. Everyone seems to be comparing it to Diablo 3, which is stupid as this game had less than 40 people working on it compared to over 1,000 at Blizzard. It had a budget of less than $10,000,000 compared to Diablo's $100,000,000, it was under development for 24 months compared to Diablo; which was under development for 72 months. Torchlight offers much, much more content with infinite possibilities for a 3rd of the price. It would rate higher if it supported better graphical options. Expand
  10. Sep 21, 2012
    The ARPG is alive and well with Runic games. They understand what fans of the genre want. They aren't hell bent on draining their customer's pockets dry. During the TL2 development process I was kept aware of all the bells and whistles that were going to be in the game. I kept a level head because I knew that based on that other game that came out in May, that promises aren't alwaysThe ARPG is alive and well with Runic games. They understand what fans of the genre want. They aren't hell bent on draining their customer's pockets dry. During the TL2 development process I was kept aware of all the bells and whistles that were going to be in the game. I kept a level head because I knew that based on that other game that came out in May, that promises aren't always kept. Needless to say I was quite pleased with the final product. It's everything I was hoping for in an ARPG.

PROS: Customizable characters that don't feel like clones of other players
    A huge open world to explore
    A great music score
    Skill tress that actually offer usefull skills
    Character level cap at 100
    Local or online multiplayer
    $20 price tag

CONS:

I've experienced some choppy game play here and there but it could very well be my PC
    Normal mode tends to be too easy but if you've played TL1 then you know what to expect
    Only 4 classes
  11. Sep 21, 2012
    Everybody knows Super Mario Bros. is a copy of Pitfall. Call of Duty series are obvious a rip off from Wolfenstein 3D, and surely Torchlight is just a cartoonish diablo, isn't it? /sarcasm

The game is really great to what it proposes to do. It's not as immersive, dark and deep as Diablo 3. Runic staff according to the credits are just around 50 people, but they achieved a new level designing this game, that is comparable to the 12min. credits staff from D3.

The game is good, but not perfect. High replayability, I finished once and I'm planning to do more 4 or 5 times because the game offers multiple biuldings and the player itself controls when and where the points os Ex should be distributed. No need to be online 100% of the time. Runs on netbooks and cheap computers. It's way better than its predecessor, multiple sidequests, wide areas to explore and great Boss fights.

Don't expect a complicated game with a deep story. That's the big flaw I found, the story is way to simple. If you just focus on loot and hack´n slash you will really enjoy the game. The cartoonish graphics may frustrate some people who thinks a good game is made of realism. But, to me it fits perfect to the series and they make the game run even on calculators because they are really light.

The variety of mods it may have will probably increase the replay. And... Multiplayer online certainly is nice. The only problem is that the players must have a balanced level. 4 levels hight or lower may cause trouble because the changes on enemies stats by level is considerable.

Its good and is not a rip off. The atmosphere, pet system, fishing, classes and weapons types are way different from other similar action RPGs. It's not a Katamary Damacy when it comes to originality, but is really different . Flaws are the shallow history and the small box to store shared goods between characters (it should have twice the size IMO).
  12. Sep 21, 2012
    Really wish I didn't waste my money on Diablo III; Blizzard is dead and this game shows exactly what an ARPG should be like. No AH/RMAH gives this game an actual reward for playing. To Blizzard: Screw you.
  13. Sep 22, 2012
    Torchlight 2 shows where the talent from Blizzard North really ended up. Graphics are clean and fluid. Gameplay is challenging and satisfying from the first hour and the loot hunt will keep you coming back. Torchlight 2 understands that the loot is the main focus of this genre and oh, have they delivered. Don't be a fool, buy this game now if you consider yourself a fan of ARPGs.
  14. Sep 22, 2012
    I've played every Blizzard title, and I'm very impressed with this small group of indie developers and some Ex-Blizz North employees. From the music to the levels, bosses and character customization a true gem and worth EVERY penny.
  15. Sep 22, 2012
    Top game. I give it a 10 because all those Blizzard fans, who think Blizzard still even cares to continue the Dialbo 1-2 ideology with Diablo 3, gave this game negative critics. This game has a lot of effort behind it, developers are genuine and they have considered a lot of stuff for us fans, not for their pocket like the guys at Blizzard. A game is only as good as its developers valueTop game. I give it a 10 because all those Blizzard fans, who think Blizzard still even cares to continue the Dialbo 1-2 ideology with Diablo 3, gave this game negative critics. This game has a lot of effort behind it, developers are genuine and they have considered a lot of stuff for us fans, not for their pocket like the guys at Blizzard. A game is only as good as its developers value their player base and TL series is certainly in this good categorie, opposite of money hungry Blizzard. If I had the money I would even buy 10-15 copies of this game and send them to my friends! I am an avid ARPG fan who has been playing RPGs for 10 years. Expand
  16. Sep 22, 2012
    I was really worried about this game because it was getting so much hype, just like diablo 3 and you saw what happened to diablo...As well as the graphics being an alternative cartoony style which can be an indicator that the game creators are just lazy. But i was pretty dam wrong. Hell i think im just going to do what everyone else has done and compare it to diablo 3. The combat is great,I was really worried about this game because it was getting so much hype, just like diablo 3 and you saw what happened to diablo...As well as the graphics being an alternative cartoony style which can be an indicator that the game creators are just lazy. But i was pretty dam wrong. Hell i think im just going to do what everyone else has done and compare it to diablo 3. The combat is great, monsters are very satisfying to kill, like in diablo 3 except in torchlight you now actually have a hope of getting good loot! Unlike diablo 3 where even after you killed a major boss at the end of the chapter, which would usually be a massive demon, the highest you could hope for was a slightly rare item which likely wont be as good as your common item....Torchlight also uses the classic skill tree, where you simply spend point to increase abilities, stats giving you're character some uniqueness, again unlike diablo where every barbarian is identical. So do get it if you like dungeon crawlers, would give it 10 but I have only played one class and not even for that long. And as others have said don't worry about the negative reviews there simply diablo fan boys, just read their reviews its pretty clear. Expand
  17. Sep 22, 2012
    Torchlight 2 is a wonderful game. The environments are beautiful, music is phenomenal, game play is fantastic, and the loot is nothing short of amazing. You can definitely see the level of polish Runic put on this product before shipping. My wife and I have played approximately 10 hours of LAN play together (thank you or the LAN option!) and we are have a great time together. I wouldTorchlight 2 is a wonderful game. The environments are beautiful, music is phenomenal, game play is fantastic, and the loot is nothing short of amazing. You can definitely see the level of polish Runic put on this product before shipping. My wife and I have played approximately 10 hours of LAN play together (thank you or the LAN option!) and we are have a great time together. I would recommend this game to anyone who is a ARPG/dungeon crawler fan. You don't want to miss this one. Expand
  18. Sep 22, 2012
    While not perfect, it's not far from it, excellent side quests, great game-play and in depth character customisation. And when the inevitable Diablo 3 comparison comes up Torchlight 2 wins over in many, many ways. Not hard to see why it sells so well, Item system bares note in that it can be a little confusing at first and the story is a little odd so far, but still one of the best gamesWhile not perfect, it's not far from it, excellent side quests, great game-play and in depth character customisation. And when the inevitable Diablo 3 comparison comes up Torchlight 2 wins over in many, many ways. Not hard to see why it sells so well, Item system bares note in that it can be a little confusing at first and the story is a little odd so far, but still one of the best games so far this year. Expand
  19. Sep 22, 2012
    As someone who played D3 and loves the franchise...lets take a moment and not compare the two, which is what a majority of the people are doing. Lets look at T2 as it's own entity, which is exactly what it is.

Frankly, the game is fun. Serious? Not really. Competitive? Not really. But if you're looking for another 20 dollar game that you can play with your friends for hours on end, then good luck.

I mean, for its price, it's moronic to give the game anything less then a 7, it doesn't dissapoint. The amount of sheet content is flabbergasting for a 20 dollar game, not to mention its future modding capabilities which gives you limitless additions to the game. It's a breath of fresh air in today's gaming world.

As said earlier, the game is flat out fun. The elites are challenging and rewarding to kill and a large focus of the game is to enter dungeons and kill the main boss in there, thus rewarding you with a large supply of loot at the end. In the end, that's what a dungeon crawler is all about, crawling through dungeons and getting awesome rewards.

Challenging? Oh my yes. This really isn't the best solo game, if you have no friends then go join a game with REAL people and make some. I play with 2 of my friends, soon to be a full party of 4, playing on veteran. We are only at about lvl 20 at the moment but there are many times we have to be strategic so that we don't completely wipe during a dungeon. Last night we spent a good hour theory crafting our builds so that we weren't so squishy. Yes, it is cartoonie, but that's the style, if you don't like it then don't get the game.

Did I say that there was a lot of content? I have played the first act about 3 times now and although the concept of ares is the same (same dungeons same quests) the areas I find them in and the paths to traverse through them are vastly different. I could go on and on about how much I enjoy the game but to be honest, you need to try it for yourself. The game is only 20 friggilin dollars and I bet you will get at LEAST 100+ hours on it, more then likely way more. Also 20 bucks that all of your (very picky friends) will all play with you is hard to find. In fact I purchased the 4 pack of T2 for 60 bucks and my friends just paid me the difference. A game all your friends can play on different computers for the price of one Xbox game, it's insanity.

Try it, you have very little to lose. You get a game that you can play multiplayer, online, offline and modded. If you love RPGs and dungeon crawlers you have to give it a shot.
  20. Sep 22, 2012
    Torchlight II has been a long awaited, fulfilling and not stop action packed game. I could say it gets better with age because as you level you find yourself becoming more and more amazed at the variances in loot, monsters and skills that become available to you. Runic games deserves a standing ovation for this incredible work of art that I cannot stop playing.
  21. Sep 22, 2012
    Awesome game. Love the gameplay and the loot system. Is a must have if you love ARPG type games. High paced and no boring grind fest like Diablo 3.... In Torchlight 2 you actually play for fun, not to grind 10m gold to attempt to bid on 1 slightly better item...
  22. Sep 22, 2012
    Before I give you my honest opinion about TL 2 I would like to say that so far I have played almost all ARPG from the days of Diablo 1, including mods. That being said I think I will have fair comparing references at least how I experience them.

Also I would like to point out that atm my highest char is Outlander lvl. 38 and just finished act 2, so my review will lack fair judgment about end game, but considering the fact that in the near future there will be released powerful modding tool end game will become "endless". If I can compare original D2 and LoD with mods that were made for that game, I would say that mods easily and clearly was far better than original some with 100x more crafting recipes new skills , new bosses, new maps new sets new runes and new unique items.

So I do not have any doubt that some mods would expand TL2 far beyond where it is now.

But let me explain to you why I gave score 10. (Although to be fair right score would be 9.7 but there were no option for be more precise )
    Game balance so far- almost perfect. Playing on Normal and although start of game felt rather easy, later on you still can die if you are not investing in better armor or defensive skills.
    For those that feel like Normal is to easy, there are two stronger difficulties that one could choose from the very beginning.

Actions you perform on keyboard and reactions-results on screen feels just right.
    Light effects and dead animations are impressive and if you are playing alone or in team of two it may be just right amount of those. To be fair I can imagine that with 5-6 ppl all casting-using skills spells all light show may become a little to much.

Crafting system so far feels simple and rewarding.
    Maps are neither to big or to small and never boring. And randomization works quite well.
    Graphic is quite simple and "cartoon-ish" and to be fair graphically D3 feels much more rich.
    However, most of the peoples agree that game-play is most important and TL 2 have very solid one.

Customization of skill builds are great and will add to replayability.
    Music - master pieces
    Price - very cheep for what you get

However TL 2 is not the best game for peoples that want total respeccing ( although as soon Modding tool is out day after it will be some respeccing potion I guess ).
    Neither this game is for people that would like to play with game economy , like AH and real money.
    Also players that like to be the only one who got the biggest sword in the game and to show it proudly off around may find that TL 2 is not best for them.

But for all others that enjoy hack and slash and at the same time like to have have a lot of shiny loot, who like crafting and building different class builds I would definitely recommend TL2.
    Although game is not revolutionary it is rather "old school" at it's best.

Considering that Tl 2 was made in 2,5 year and only from team made of30 ppl it is nothing short of impressive.

For truly ARPG fans, don't miss TL 2 is IMHO one of best ARPG ever
  23. Sep 22, 2012
    please don't look at this as some diablo clone it has similarities but thats because some members of the development team worked at blizzard north they worked on diablo 1 and 2 but other then that this game is amazing especially for the sweet deal of 20 dollars!!!!yes!only 20 dollars i reccomend you buy this and they're releasing a mod tool and the creator of torchlight even encouragedplease don't look at this as some diablo clone it has similarities but thats because some members of the development team worked at blizzard north they worked on diablo 1 and 2 but other then that this game is amazing especially for the sweet deal of 20 dollars!!!!yes!only 20 dollars i reccomend you buy this and they're releasing a mod tool and the creator of torchlight even encouraged people to remake diablo 2 using the mod tool this will pro long the games life immensely and also the graphics are great and gameplay is smooth the loot system is rewarding i doubt this game will dissapoint you if you're an ARPG fan so please go out and buy this!oh and also it has 6 player online co-op single player and LAN and also no real money auction house LOL Expand
  24. Sep 22, 2012
    I thought the break-away from the 'realistic' graphic style was going to detract from my experience. But the level of details they went into in this game, combined with the successful models for loot and dungeon randomization, results in a worthy sequel and a good, solid ARPG that makes the loot grind worth it. Get it. Got it? Good.
  25. Sep 22, 2012
    I'm quite proud to say that this is the only ARPG that does and will have me continually coming back. During classes I would be anticipating getting out just so I could play in between them and after the day had ended. Now that the weekend is here, I have found myself playing nearly all day.

Apart from its highly addictive quality for someone who has never really been addicted to ARPGs, Runic simply did EVERYTHING else right! Attack animations are beautiful along with the environment (the randomization in this game is GREAT) and creature design. The pacing at which everything is done is fantastic as you move at a blazing pace through the world in a way that does not make the game feel rushed, only action packed. Spells firing in a splendor of just-the-right-amount-of-color-ridden awesomeness makes you really feel like you're accomplishing some feats of strength!

And how about that LOOT! Itemization in this game is entirely stupendous. At level 3 I was already having to debate a decision between two items. So many of the items feel very useful and viable in some way. The rate at which yellow rare items (uniques) drop is just right so far. Just long enough between intervals to where you're hoping for one yet not long enough to where you want to give up. Then there's the rush about whether or not when you identify that it will be useful for your class. I've found that if a unique is not what my current char needs, then it usually is useful for one of my others. Items have very interesting affixes as well.

Difficulty has been ramped up since the first game. Unfortunately the only way to accurately judge if you've chosen the right difficulty is to get to the very last of A1/ beginning of A2 as that is a much more accurate representation of what you will be facing for your difficulty choice. I thought veteran was going to be just barely too easy. . . and then Act II came and put up quite the challenge (possibly even a bit too much for me!)

The polish time spent on this game that pushed the date back was well worth it. So far, in terms of a patch wish list, the only thing I can think that I would want is just a few ui additions (which can also be easily modded, another great feature for the game's longevity). There's nothing wrong with the UI that is there, but a few cool additions would be neat. Not an improvement to other features, but additions of new ones.

Overall, runic really outdid themselves. There is a reason why this game is getting such grand scores from metacritic and professional reviewers. . . and it's because it rocks...real hard. While the game is worth a 60$ price tag you can essentially steal it for the price of 20$!! Wow! For a wonderful little 'box' of fun, just go and buy it! You will not regret it. :)

[And remember, you can like both Diablo III and Torchlight 2! ;) Even though I do prefer TL2 significantly more, these games can live in peace with each other!]
  26. Sep 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Torchlight 2 is a really good game, that has inherited many aspects from Diablo 2. Maybe even more than the famous diablo 3. The gameplay is fast, with much exploration enriched by sequences of fights that keep always the fun at high scores. The 4 classes are fairly customizable in gender and looks, and their skill trees are really classic in structure but really fun to try.
    The maps and the dungeons are really well done, with forests, deserts, and other environments large enough to permit a fun exploration. They are randomized in structure enough to resemble always new to explore any time you start a new game or reroll the map in an internet play through, but you won't meet random generation inside the dungeons (no forests generated underneath a crypt, no castles underneath a cave and so on) like it happened in Torchlight 1. Everything has its place and a logic behind.
    The music and overall sounds are very pleasant to hear, with a more modern style if compared to the ones of diablo 3.
    It seems to me that the first Torchlight episode could have been a kind of try, in order to study a new graphic style, but with a very classical game play. And Torchlight 2 is the "real" Torchlight game, with all the good ideas and experiences linked together in an almost perfect new "old-style" action rpg.
    Even the co-op multiplayer is really fun to play, with friends or newcomers. There is no problem with the loot sharing, in fact the loot is instanced and when you kill a mob or open a stash everyone has his own loot, invisible to the other players. The final verdict is: this game is one of the best experiences you can have in gaming at a really fair price: 20$. Go get it!
  27. Sep 22, 2012
    This game is pure gold. Awesome, dynamic and exciting combat, tons of options with skills and items, enormous locations. By the way, locations are way ahead of those in Torchlight 1, more beautiful and detailed not just a bunch of square rooms. Also there is some unique stuff going on in some locations, so Runic made a huge improvement on the game world. So, Torchlight 2 is superb, andThis game is pure gold. Awesome, dynamic and exciting combat, tons of options with skills and items, enormous locations. By the way, locations are way ahead of those in Torchlight 1, more beautiful and detailed not just a bunch of square rooms. Also there is some unique stuff going on in some locations, so Runic made a huge improvement on the game world. So, Torchlight 2 is superb, and even if you happen to dislike something about it then you can wait for some cool mods to appear. Expand
  28. Sep 22, 2012
    Torchlight 2 is the new Diablo 3. Like many, I was disappointed by Diablo III but Torchlight 2 has officially got me back into hack 'n slash games. This game is what I dreamed Diablo III was going to be like. This game has no reason to get a negative score... The loot system is amazing.

Looking for a cheap hack 'n slash game? Purchase this game.. You will not be disappointed.
  29. Sep 22, 2012
    I'm a long time Diablo player, from chapter 1, to chapter 3, and I've played the first Torchlight as well. Believe me when i say that this is really the spiritual heir of Diablo 1 and 2. The only reason i don't give this jewel a 10/10 is the graphical compartment, that honestly could ba a little better and a little more "dark". Well spent 20 bucks!
  30. Sep 22, 2012
    Amazing game!! 10 out of 10!!! The PvP is so fun to play around with and its just a really really well done game, you can tell Runic really put there hearts and soul into making this and we get to sit back and enjoy it............"throws diablo 3 in the trash"
  31. Sep 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's really amazing! 10/10! This is what everyone was waiting on Diablo 3. And even more! Torchlight 2 more beautiful, more interesting, more thoughtful. And also in contrast to Diablo 3 does not require a top-end PC. This is - the best that happened to the genre aRPG Expand
  32. Sep 22, 2012
    Just great. That's all I wanted from a hack'n slay. Multiplayer mode is just awesome. And it's open for modding - I guess we can expect a lot of fun in the future... :)
  33. Sep 22, 2012
    Torchlight II is a aRPG brought to us by Runic Games, and for most of the negative reviews on here should know were former Blizzard North employees. Which means they were the creators of Diablo/Diablo II. This is not a "Diablo clone". Torchlight II is anything but, and in my opinion Blizzard should really stop and take notes on Torchlight II about everything that should have been in theTorchlight II is a aRPG brought to us by Runic Games, and for most of the negative reviews on here should know were former Blizzard North employees. Which means they were the creators of Diablo/Diablo II. This is not a "Diablo clone". Torchlight II is anything but, and in my opinion Blizzard should really stop and take notes on Torchlight II about everything that should have been in the atrocity, payoff on the name that was, and never should have been called Diablo III. Now that that's out of the way. Onto Torchlight II.

I'll start with the good. The soundtrack, by Matt Uelmen is nothing short of a masterpiece. Its rich, moody, and full of life. Runic Games have released it for a free download and I have been listening to it non-stop since. There isn't anything else to say but how well its written. There is nothing bad about the soundtrack whatsoever. I swear if I close my eyes and listen to it, I'm playing a *real* Diablo game.

The attributes, and skill points really add into the depth of how you want to play your character, not like other games that add points automatically. I like the challenge of sitting there second guessing about how or what I should build my character like. Its makes each character you create unique and special.

The loot is also great. If I could show you hours I spent in my inventory looking at loot to what I should be wearing it would rival my actual playing time. The amount of items you can get, from anything, monsters, quests, shops all make you stop and look at it. Borderlands 2 gets the record for most guns. Torchlight II should get the record for most loot.

Now, this isn't necessarily the *bad* its just things I think could have been better.

The graphics, as great of an art style they are just dont do it for me personally. I can stand to play it for hours, I just feel like to many games are learning in this direction. That WoW style cartoon graphics turns me off, but in its own way it works for Torchlight II.

The skills are plentiful, but quickly become boring quickly. I get mobbed and I find I'm still battling enemies mano a mano instead of tearing through them will fun AoE skills. I've been mainly using my same skills that I chose from the beginning and haven't really found those skills that get me excited to get to. Like a barb in Diablo II waiting to get to level 30 for whirlwind. Although there are lots for each class they don't seem all that interesting in their own right.

And finally, in my opinion the worst aspect of the game. The voice acting. I swear if I could keep a straight face while talking to the guardian of war it was a miracle. Most of the voice acting wasn't that great and sounded either way to produced, or not produced enough(sounds crazy, but its the best way to explain it). It sounded like they recorded them in someones bedroom. Diablo III does have one thing over Torchlight II and that's the voice acting.

All in all, every game like this will get compared to the Diablo series because they were the best. Don't get me wrong I *am* a blizzard fan, but Torchlight II really feels more at home and closer to the game I played back in 2000 than Diablo III ever did. I mean, the meta score speaks for itself. If anyone wants to feel a breath of nostalgia from their wasted childhood farming for loot like I did in Diablo II, than Torchlight II is the game for you.
  34. Sep 22, 2012
    Furiously clicking on things has never been better. YES VIDEO GAMES PLAYING IS GLORIOUS FREEDOM. TORCHFIRE 2 IS GAME OF THE YEAR EVERY YEAR FROM TIME IMMEMORIAL TO THE END OF ALL DAYS
  35. Sep 22, 2012
    A true spiritual successor to Diablo 2, Torchlight 2 has taken the classic ARPG formula and not only improved but innovated as well. Overall an amazing game that has MASSIVELY improved on the first one. For $20 this is a game that is a DEFINITE BUY. PERFECT DUNGEON CRAWL With four different classes at your disposal and several pets to choose from, the replayability of this game is quiteA true spiritual successor to Diablo 2, Torchlight 2 has taken the classic ARPG formula and not only improved but innovated as well. Overall an amazing game that has MASSIVELY improved on the first one. For $20 this is a game that is a DEFINITE BUY. PERFECT DUNGEON CRAWL With four different classes at your disposal and several pets to choose from, the replayability of this game is quite amazing. Each class has its own set spells and unlike Torchlight 1, the classes don't share any skills. What does this mean for you? A plethora of customization options! You could opt to play an Engineer as a unstoppable tank, or a support with many bots and gadgets at your disposal, or a hammer wielding hero that destroys anything in its path. The choices and builds you can make are endless. On the top of my head, I can already think of FIVE, yes FIVE, different builds for the Engineer that are not only viable but fun as well and I'm sure there's other people who've thought of builds I haven't consider yet. What can you expect from each class? You can expect no less than five different ways to play. The world is very open and beautiful. It rotates from grass levels, to snow, to desert and all around beautiful combined with great musical pieces. Another aspect of the game that is fantastic is the fact that the boss fights are VERY FUN and ENGAGING. Co-op is simply fantastic. You can play with 5 of your friends or random people and crawl through the toughest dungeons, with each person using their class in a different way, this is bound to be fun for everyone. The loot is fantastic, there's so much of it its great and you get a feel of SATISFACTION each time you get a piece. There's also mods mods mods. Really there's so much great about this game Expand
  36. Sep 23, 2012
    This game is pure ARPG bliss. I have enjoyed every second of it's massive outdoor areas, pitch perfect loot system, challenging bosses, awesome skills and weapons, and fun quests. Exploration is enjoyable and rewarded, the enemies look great and are fun to fight, and the environments are gorgeous and SO HUGE. They are filled with all sorts of secrets and mysteries to be revealed. There isThis game is pure ARPG bliss. I have enjoyed every second of it's massive outdoor areas, pitch perfect loot system, challenging bosses, awesome skills and weapons, and fun quests. Exploration is enjoyable and rewarded, the enemies look great and are fun to fight, and the environments are gorgeous and SO HUGE. They are filled with all sorts of secrets and mysteries to be revealed. There is always another quest or elite mob around the corner. Every second of this game has been well worth the modest $20 dollar price tag. These developers have listened to player feedback on the forums every step through the beta and the result as been a game that delivers near euphoric amounts of fun. I'll be playing this game for years to come. Can't wait for the first bit of free DLC they put out. Expand
  37. Sep 23, 2012
    First of all if you like Action RPGs or if you already liked torchlight 1 the game is a no-brainer. The soundtrack and improved game play are also very addicting. The art style depends on personal taste and it is cartoon-ish but it does not feel out of place and is well made. All in all the game is one of the best Action RPGs released in the last years.
    So why did I choose a score of 9?
    So why did I choose a score of 9? It is the story which bothers me. While other games have some epic moments or have sudden twists the story of Torchlight 2 is just an excuse to get the player through three acts which is not that bad because everything else in the game is really well made and you soon forget about the weak story as soon as you enter the next dungeon to get more loot and experience points.
  38. Sep 23, 2012
    The game is just the perfect buck for you money out there. It almost feels too cheap...

There are not many things to say.. 1. TL2 has SINGLE-HANDEDLY the best Stat distribution system in any aRPG i ve played. 2. Skill system is a huge improvement from TL1. 3. Graphs I like. I know many people don't like them, but I like the cartoonish graphs.. And when Texture mods are out, it

2. Skill system is a huge improvement from TL1.

3. Graphs I like. I know many people don't like them, but I like the cartoonish graphs.. And when Texture mods are out, it wil be better..

No point in comparing this to d2. It's like every aRPG is a copy of the diablo series.. PoE is a cheap copy, Loki is a copy, Titan Quest is.. It's the same with comparing GW2 and generally every other MMO to WoW..

The only REAL problem with the game is its responsiveness. At some points it feels stiff but that really doesn't break anything.. There will be a patch fixing it soon I guess..
  39. Sep 23, 2012
    This game is just...fun. It has an open world, big variety of environments and enemies, interesting classes and skills and so much more. It's bigger and better than the first game, and most importantly...it has multiplayer. It's just a good, solid ARPG, and any fans of the genre will surely love it.
  40. Sep 23, 2012
    I have to say this game is really well made. Torch2 runs very smooth and although I'm not a fan of the cartoony art style it is still a beautiful looking game. The loot system seems to crank out an endless stream of attractive and useful gear. The music creates a great mood for dungeon crawling and monster hunting. The skill trees seem to be pretty diverse by adding cool new powers orI have to say this game is really well made. Torch2 runs very smooth and although I'm not a fan of the cartoony art style it is still a beautiful looking game. The loot system seems to crank out an endless stream of attractive and useful gear. The music creates a great mood for dungeon crawling and monster hunting. The skill trees seem to be pretty diverse by adding cool new powers or augmenting existing ones for your character. The biggest improvments to this game over the first one is the open world and co-op/multi support. The original game although enjoyable left me feeling limited to the one town. In Torch2 you now have sprawling zones overflowing with baddies, loot, and side quests to really make this a great game. The power fx are also pretty good without being overdone and obnoxious. I am not comparing this game to any "other" title except Runic's previous title, so I am coming in to this unbiased. With a price tag of $20, loads of content, and the developers attention to detail this game easily ranks top marks in my book...10/10 can't beat this bargain. Expand
  41. Sep 23, 2012
    The difference to Diablo 3 is staggering. Where Diablo 3 did about anything they could to annoy me (their servers didn't work for several days for me upon release so I couldn't even play, the stupid health globes, the weird elites with lasers and walls and whatnot, the gold pickup radius, the lack of content, the crafting, the shop interface, the AH, ... I could go on for a long time...) -The difference to Diablo 3 is staggering. Where Diablo 3 did about anything they could to annoy me (their servers didn't work for several days for me upon release so I couldn't even play, the stupid health globes, the weird elites with lasers and walls and whatnot, the gold pickup radius, the lack of content, the crafting, the shop interface, the AH, ... I could go on for a long time...) - Torchlight II did everything to allow me to enjoy playing the game. And enjoying it a lot I do. Really, those two games couldn't be more different in all the little details. I gave D3 0/10 back then in rage... TL2 easily deserves 10/10. Expand
  42. Sep 23, 2012
    In Torchlight II the combat animations and feel of battle in general are liquid smooth, it just flows perfectly. It has so much more to offer than Diablo III. It actually has end game content with new game+, never ending REAL map randomizations, item enchantments, a real open world with a lot to explore, toooons of side quests, an awesome pet system, a better and more creative skill systemIn Torchlight II the combat animations and feel of battle in general are liquid smooth, it just flows perfectly. It has so much more to offer than Diablo III. It actually has end game content with new game+, never ending REAL map randomizations, item enchantments, a real open world with a lot to explore, toooons of side quests, an awesome pet system, a better and more creative skill system similar to the past Diablo title, better champion/boss fights, better item stats, endless content with the usage of game mods to create even more content for the game such as new quests, classes, items, UI enhancements, more pets, and so on! And there is just so much more that could be talked about too! Diablo III's main problem: Boooooring! I quit after about a month after launch when I got 3 level 60s because there was nothing to do. It's so straightforward: follow the path, look for the blinking icon on the map, no adventuring, no side questing, no fun. Quit for nearly 3 months total, came back when I saw the 1.0.4 patch, played for about a week, then quit again... now I am gone for good since TL2 is out! I have no regrets about leaving Diablo III behind even though I put a lot of hours into the game. Thank you Runic Games for making the ARPG that makes perfect sense!!! I will be playing Torchlight II for a long time, and I am excited to play it every single time! Expand
  43. Sep 23, 2012
    What a blast! This game is so much FUN - the story is interesting and surprises you constantly, the loot design is much fun - they aren't stingy with it at all, and I'm having fun collecting all sorts of interesting gear. I created an Embermage to hold gear for my hunter-type, and couldn't put the mage down to switch back to my higher level character! So addictive.

I've reached level 29

I've reached level 29 so far, and the experience so far has been excellent. The play style is intuitive and familiar without feeling overly familiar or repetitive. The game is extremely smooth and bug-free, which really helps keep up the feeling of immersion. The music is great, the environments stunningly beautiful. I was expecting a lot of out this game, because like everyone else, it was basically my last chance at a follow up to D2 - and it does _not_ disappoint!
  44. Sep 23, 2012
    Diablo 3 is better than TL 2? No !! this game better than D3. This is the one of the best A-RPG, I love offline game play also I can customize my character stats. Nice graphic, sound, music, dungeon system and many more. If you looking for continuation of Diablo 2 ? this game perfect for you, believe me.
  45. Sep 23, 2012
    I was surprised of how entertaining this game is. Here are a few reason why I personally like it.

1) The core gameplay is well done: It as satisfying skills and a good loot/itemization system. Hunting for treasure feels contently rewarding. The map are big and well randomized. It really encourage you to find every unexplored corner and kill every mobs to find chests, special events and so on. 2) There are many little systems that enrich the game. You have a pet that carry and sell spare loots for you, a enchanting system to put random attributes on your favourite items, transmuting to combine different items to create new ones, a gambling system similar to the one in diablo 2, etc. 3) Single player and mod support! Those two come hand in hand. It gives a lot of freedom of how to play the game. Ex. I personally dont like how respec work (only your last 3 skills). As soon as the mod tool is out il be able to change that to fit my own preferences. You can also play online/lan using the same characters. And just to nuance this review a bit, the bad sides would be:

- Some abilities felt a little bit delayed at first. However, I got used to it very quickly.
    - Loading times can be a little bit annoying but they aren't very long or too frequent. - Some beginners traps are learned the hard way: you can only respect 3 abilities back so plan them carefully. I shouldn't have sold the unique (yellow/golden) items I dint use because you can transmute them together in act 2.
    - The story,while not terribly deep, is slightly confusing at first. That might be because its a sequel. You get a better sense of it as you progress. While not necessarily a bad thing, its the same formula as Diablo 2 story: the big bad guy as passed before you and as left the place corrupted. You must fix the mess he left behind while chasing after him.)
    - Not fully voice acted. No voice acting on secondary quest dialogue so its sometime tempting to skip the text. Especially that you will want to keep hitting things right Now for a bit of ranting not directly concerning the gameplay...

Torchlight II vs Diablo 3: Its impossible to avoid this comparison. The main difference is that Diablo 3 forced you online. TLII is a singleplayer with coop option, D3 is a multiplayer game that you can play alone but forced on the same terms as everyone else. Every big design decisions can be traced back to that difference. The D3 auction house plays an especially big part in all this (in my opinion it impacted the looting system in a bad way). In the end D3 should please the more competitive players. However by eliminating offline play, blizzard alienated many players. For me Diablo 2 at is best was played single player (or lan with close friends) using mods. That is impossible to do in D3. TLII filled that hole left by D3. Both games offers things that the other doesn't but I find TL2 more versatile with the choices of online/offline play and mod support.

While both franchises are different they are also strikingly similar in a way. Diablo fans also feel right at home in TLII. I feel very nostalgic playing the game because it reminds me of D1 and D2 so much. I was not surprised to learn that many of the developers of TL2 worked on those 2 games and that the music composer was also the same (you get a very Tristam vibe in act 1 with the soft acoustic guitar).

I also have a lot of respect for the developers for their very customer friendly decisions. There are no obstructive DRM (like online only) and the price is beyond reasonable (20$). They also support and even encourage modding (modding toolset coming soon). MODDING, MORE MODS! I know I keep repeating myself on that point but its a very important things for me as a player. My favourite RPGs are those with a very healthy modding communities. Fallout 3, Skyrim, and Dragon Age: Origins (sadly a big step back in mod support for DA:2) are all games that I kept playing a long time after completion solely because of mods. While Diablo 2 dint have modding tools it still had some great mods like Ancestral Recall and the still popular MedianXL that I actually played a lot more then the original game. Sadly because of restrictive DRM doubled with the desire to sell DLC, games with mod support are becoming a rare breed.

So bottom line: I'm loving Torchlight II both because of its fun gameplay and the freedom it gives me. I'm glad to support any game developers that take this direction! 9/10 Wow, thats a bit TL:DR but once I started writing it escalated quickly! :P
  46. Sep 23, 2012
    Torchlight 2 embodies everything Diablo 3 should have been. The games graphics may seem a bit odd but it actually suits the game very well with plenty of blood drenching the scenery during battles too. You are able to fully control your characters build, including its stat point distribution, and each character has multiple weapon types to compliment different builds - you're not stuckTorchlight 2 embodies everything Diablo 3 should have been. The games graphics may seem a bit odd but it actually suits the game very well with plenty of blood drenching the scenery during battles too. You are able to fully control your characters build, including its stat point distribution, and each character has multiple weapon types to compliment different builds - you're not stuck with just one weapon type (like a two handed axe for an engineer or a two handed Staff for an Ember Mage) for each character there are different options which will certainly allow you to strengthen your chosen build. Looting is a major part of Torchlight 2, which in this kind of game should always be the case, and with plenty of specials, mini bosses, Large open landscapes crawling with monsters and side quests as well as the main plot line and bosses - the game is full of challenges to keep the player busy.

And of course you are able to play offline, over LAN or over the Internet so you are not forced to play a non-MMO with MMO security. This game, in my opinion, captures everything that games of this genre are about - adds a little extra magic - and then presents it to you brilliantly.
  47. Sep 23, 2012
    Excellent game from excellent developers. Already put 35hours into the game and i'm really excited. The fluidity of the gameplay is perfect, there's a lot but not too much loot, you can gamble, enchant your equipment, you can specc your char and have real chararcter progression. There's plenty to do all the time besides killing: a bit of fishing, planning your build/stats/talents, exploreExcellent game from excellent developers. Already put 35hours into the game and i'm really excited. The fluidity of the gameplay is perfect, there's a lot but not too much loot, you can gamble, enchant your equipment, you can specc your char and have real chararcter progression. There's plenty to do all the time besides killing: a bit of fishing, planning your build/stats/talents, explore the map and be rewarded for it (find phasebeasts which open portals to unique challenge areas; find new quests which give fame) and so forth.

I can really recommend the game to everyone, which loved D2. Once again you got this sense of replayability. The combat is a little bit hectic sometimes, but you'll get used to it pretty fast.

Have fun with this nice hack n' slay!
  48. Sep 23, 2012
    This is an absolutely fantastic effort by Runic, and proves to be a god-tier ARPG with versatile skill trees, ideal difficulty (on veteran IMO), and engaging combat. That said, it doesn't really innovate too much on the ARPG template of loot-kill-loot-kill that we all know and (might) love, with the notable exception of the incredibly convenient pet system. I've already sunk many hoursThis is an absolutely fantastic effort by Runic, and proves to be a god-tier ARPG with versatile skill trees, ideal difficulty (on veteran IMO), and engaging combat. That said, it doesn't really innovate too much on the ARPG template of loot-kill-loot-kill that we all know and (might) love, with the notable exception of the incredibly convenient pet system. I've already sunk many hours into this gem, and I'm sure my social life will continue to be crippled for weeks to come at LAN parties and late night single player sessions. The $20 price tag is practically thievery, so you should probably buy it right now, even if you don't even WANT it. Only point reduction is for lack of originality, but honestly, it's an insignificant niggle and won't effect your enjoyment too much. Why haven't you bought it yet? Was I not clear or something? Expand
  49. Sep 23, 2012
    This game is truly outstanding. I am new to the ARPG genre, and it definitely keeps the player engaged in the action. For a price of $20 along with free DLC and a full TorchED system in the near future, this game definitely has to be the best bang for the buck. I preordered the game through steam because I was looking to play something different, and after playing the first TorchlightThis game is truly outstanding. I am new to the ARPG genre, and it definitely keeps the player engaged in the action. For a price of $20 along with free DLC and a full TorchED system in the near future, this game definitely has to be the best bang for the buck. I preordered the game through steam because I was looking to play something different, and after playing the first Torchlight (came with the preorder), I had to agree that a co-op feature was desperately needed. I recently played this game with a friend of mine, and the gameplay is seamlessly smooth. It's the truest form of co-op I have ever played. Even to the point that players can be in different realms on the same server, yet still remain on a synchronized server. Outstanding. I didn't know how much to expect for only $20, but I will say that this game is easily worth $40. No game is really worth $60, but sometimes we do what we must. I think Runic's tactic here longterm will bring them much more in terms of profits. A $20 game is safe gamble-- they can rake in new players, and I for one, am sure that I will buy any Runic titles in the future. I have been disappointed by EA and Activision far too many times. They don't even try to impress their player base anymore... not to mention the myriad of bugs at release. This game runs as smooth as silk from day one. Anyway, purchase this game, or at least try the Free Demo on steam to see what you think. It's definitely worth the buy, its A TON of fun. Also, to those who say the game is not challenging, it starts out easy, but get much more difficult as you progress through the game. Thanks for reading, and do the right thing. Buy this game! Expand
  50. Sep 24, 2012
    A true spiritual successor to Diablo. The art is a bit cartoony, but otherwise it seems to be on par with Diablo II in terms of depth and fun-factor and surpasses all Action RPGs with it's smooth, slick and rewarding combat. On top of its initial appeal, it looks like there's a ton of room for meaningful build customization. I would much rather have spent $60 on this game than the one IA true spiritual successor to Diablo. The art is a bit cartoony, but otherwise it seems to be on par with Diablo II in terms of depth and fun-factor and surpasses all Action RPGs with it's smooth, slick and rewarding combat. On top of its initial appeal, it looks like there's a ton of room for meaningful build customization. I would much rather have spent $60 on this game than the one I bought a few months ago. This is the real deal. I would dock it a point for minor issues, but it's $20 and it was just launched. I have no complaints. Expand
  51. Sep 24, 2012
    Better then Diablo 3 for the third of the price. Those who like the gameplay of diablo 1 and 2 gonna prefer Torchlight series because it look more like it. One little problem: Normal mode is a little too easy. So if you have play other hack and slash, play at veteran level of difficulty.
  52. Sep 24, 2012
    Beautiful game! A true deserving successor of Diablo I and II and basically the only point-click ARPG left that keeps intact the initial roots that made them so successful.
    As many of us here, I bought Diablo 3 waiting for an amazing new era of the benchmark of ARPGs, however I was completely disappointed and disgusted with what they made out of it. Torchlight 2 on the other hand, did almost everything right this time around. It kept the same feeling of continuous exploration/adventure by having randomized maps. It kept the quirky little things that made the game special for most of us, like scrolls, spells dropping from mobs, town portals, etc. Most importantly it also got the loot system right!! They do understand what is what made Diablo I and II successful regarding loot system, things like having random gear sets dropping from mobs from level 1, keeping the hierarchy of rare items and managing to keep an interesting socketing system without being overpowered. The talent system and character progression is the same old (in a good way) system from Torchlight I and Diablo I and II, which allows you to have a dual progress of your character by having a spell's tree and a character attributes customization. Now on to what Torchlight offers IN TOP of getting the old school mechanics right. 1) Pets and fishing, still a side dish to the game but amazingly fun and interactive to what you do. 2) Weapons, great deal of them!! and actually viable weapon switches. I don't feel pigeon holed into a weapon that "my class is supposed to use". 3) Classes, yes!!!, they managed to do a different style of classes without screwing up, now there are not entirely different per say, but a little twist here and there in each one of them keeps it fresh. Now the things that need improving: Internet multiplayer system is very outdated. This is probably the only place where D3 has the upper hand. Of course, we are talking about a $20 game with 2-3 years of development VS millions of $ + 10 years + global online infrastructure (battle.net) + $60 price tag. The other part than could be better are graphics and sound. While graphics have a nice approach with the cartoonish style, they really could use a better engine. Sound is unfortunately lackluster, the quality of it I mean. Conclusion: Best point-click Action RPG since Diablo 2, plain a simple. It deserves a 10/10 because above all we are talking about a $20 game, that did everything right plus more. Could use improvements in the multiplayer internet system, graphics and sound, but for it's price tag I feel that we are getting FAR more. Finally, the support that as customers we should provide to this team and Runic, they clearly have the TALENT there without the greediness and sloppy ideas that made Diablo 3 fail, at the end of the day I think is about having Talented people designing the game, and that's what this team has and Blizzard doesn't anymore.
  53. Sep 25, 2012
    So much replay value here from the multiple ways to build the four classes, to the randomized dungeons, mobs, and bosses(skills). Tons of varied equipment, and lots of mob variety, and multiplayer. But most of all.... Its so much fun, Ive lost track of time every single session Ive turned this game on. I dont even know how many timesI could play through this game before I got bored.TheSo much replay value here from the multiple ways to build the four classes, to the randomized dungeons, mobs, and bosses(skills). Tons of varied equipment, and lots of mob variety, and multiplayer. But most of all.... Its so much fun, Ive lost track of time every single session Ive turned this game on. I dont even know how many timesI could play through this game before I got bored.The only and I mean the ONLY complaint I have about this game is the fact that you have to push the hold button to keep from charging enemies instead of attacking with auto attacks. But thats always been my bigggest complaint about this genre.
    Now Im a huge fan of the ARPG genre and have to say this one has more replay potential than any other Ive ever played. The funny part is that the pricing for Torchlight 2's main competition is backwards. This should have been the 60 dollar title and Diablo 3 should have been the 20 dollar title. Yes thats right, I said D3 is t2s competition. But once you max your character in D3, I just moved on to the next class. There is just no replay there, Unless your looking for gear for pvp. But thats a grindfest, thats not really replaying to enjoy the game. Hell Krater has more replay then D3 and is actually fun, D3 felt like a chore after a while. Lets be honest though D3 was a dumpster fire at launch, but blizzard will keep backing up dump trucks full of money to get it where it should have been at launch. And I would without a doubt recommend Krater, before D3. It marched to the beat of its own drum and I liked so many things about the game. And honestly feel like it has more potential then d3, but once again, and most importantly....its actually lots of fun(despite the repetitive combat). Does it compare to T2? yes but in very different ways, either way there far more entertaining(to me anyway),and put together are cheaper then D3.
    Regardless If T2 had been 60 dollars, I would have had no problem laying my money down. But being asked to pay more then...or even 20 for that matter for D3 to me seems....well...almost too much.
  54. Luc
    Sep 24, 2012
    Liberté, loot intéressant, développement du personnage "custom", niveaux de difficulté au choix, mods à venir, tout y est, c'est un jeu amusant et jouissif et surtout dans la lignée de Diablo ; je pleure sur l'arnaque Diablo et ses hôtels de vente en comparant les prix des ces 2 jeux.
  55. Sep 24, 2012
    I give it 10/10 because it is a really challenge so far. Even though the act seems short, but it is really exciting game after the 10 years of Diablo 2. It is a well done game from the makers of Diablo, Diablo 2 and Torchlight. USD20 is worth the game to be play with. Please do not pirated it as the creators has done alot of work on it and they release it in a affordable price forI give it 10/10 because it is a really challenge so far. Even though the act seems short, but it is really exciting game after the 10 years of Diablo 2. It is a well done game from the makers of Diablo, Diablo 2 and Torchlight. USD20 is worth the game to be play with. Please do not pirated it as the creators has done alot of work on it and they release it in a affordable price for everyone to go for offline , online or Lan. Expand
  56. Sep 24, 2012
    Following up on the successful "Torchlight" release, Torchlight II has not failed to impress. Nothing too game breaking, but the creators just "get it". Gameplay, helpful loot drops, interesting bosses; TL2 is successful where its biggest competitor (D3) has failed so far. For the price ($20) this game is hard to beat. If you haven't played the first, don't worry, jump into this andFollowing up on the successful "Torchlight" release, Torchlight II has not failed to impress. Nothing too game breaking, but the creators just "get it". Gameplay, helpful loot drops, interesting bosses; TL2 is successful where its biggest competitor (D3) has failed so far. For the price ($20) this game is hard to beat. If you haven't played the first, don't worry, jump into this and start having fun. Expand
  57. Sep 24, 2012
    This is by far the best game in its genre to date. The speed of play combined with the instant gratification and progress of your character create an experience that is nearly impossible to tear yourself away from. The frenetic boss encounters, challenging mobs and the possibility of EPIC LOOT add to the feeling of constant progress which marks Torchlight 2 as an ultimate achievement notThis is by far the best game in its genre to date. The speed of play combined with the instant gratification and progress of your character create an experience that is nearly impossible to tear yourself away from. The frenetic boss encounters, challenging mobs and the possibility of EPIC LOOT add to the feeling of constant progress which marks Torchlight 2 as an ultimate achievement not only in its genre but in the grand spectrum of entertainment as a whole. I cannot recommend this game more highly. For the experienced dungeon crawler or to the Hack n' Slash first timer this game is sure to hit the loot button in us all. Not just once but hundreds of times. Expand
  58. Sep 24, 2012
    Amazing is simply an understatement whilst playing Torchlight II, this, like the predecessor of Torchlight I contains the same, intuitive content and stunning gameplay, but as they said have added a whole new multiplayer platform boosting player experience on a whole new level adding in player interaction, trading, and instance based multiplayer combat. I personally have always found theAmazing is simply an understatement whilst playing Torchlight II, this, like the predecessor of Torchlight I contains the same, intuitive content and stunning gameplay, but as they said have added a whole new multiplayer platform boosting player experience on a whole new level adding in player interaction, trading, and instance based multiplayer combat. I personally have always found the Torchlight series much better than other dungeon crawlers such as the infamous Diablo series and the team at Runic have never ceased to amaze me with the modifiability, support and all the features packed into the Torchlight series making this the epiphany of Dungeon crawler games as of 2012. Expand
  59. Sep 25, 2012
    Torchlight 2 is a great game for it's price.Everything has changed from the first chapter,graphics,maps,boss mechanics all improved.Runic Games did really a great job
  60. Sep 25, 2012
    This game is really a vast improvement over the first. Obviously the co-op is a big part of the improvement, but the graphics and game play have been tweaked for the better making the cell shaded graphics less blocky and with the addition of new characters that you can customize as opposed to the ones in part 1 where you simply pick from the ones pre-made. Items are easier to swap betweenThis game is really a vast improvement over the first. Obviously the co-op is a big part of the improvement, but the graphics and game play have been tweaked for the better making the cell shaded graphics less blocky and with the addition of new characters that you can customize as opposed to the ones in part 1 where you simply pick from the ones pre-made. Items are easier to swap between inventories and markets while you now have better options for your pet. The skill menu was is now improved by tiers as opposed to 1/20 like in T1. The story is drastically better too, as opposed to the more generic one in part where it was just kill god/demon and end of story, now one of the previous main characters the Alchemist (who you may have played as like me if you chose the spell caster) has now gone insane as hinted at the end of part 1 with power and is causing devastation around the world and has defeated his previous partners making the player a new character set on the path to stop him.

Over all, and THIS is what you care about, the game is just more fun to play and isn't that what really matters?
  61. Sep 25, 2012
    I´ve just played TL2 for about 10 hours and already i love this game. Though i kinda dont like the fact that u cant respec. Its just trial and error. But maybe thats a good thing. I dont know. Anyway this game is awesome!
  62. Sep 25, 2012
    I Loved Diablo 1, I loved Diablo 2. After seeing the slow decline in Blizzard since Warcraft 3, I did not pursue interest in Diablo 3 after many things I saw implemented into the game system that really killed it for me. I played Torchlight 1 and was not impressed, then along came Torchlight 2, and I am: as many would put it, IMPRESSED!!
    Take What made Diablo 2 fun and update it by
    Take What made Diablo 2 fun and update it by removing the tedium (selling junk, using potions and inventory management)

While for some the graphics may seem childlike, I could agree, at first. But honestly when I am running a steady 60+ FPS with never any slowdown or graphical glitches, it can look like mine craft for all I care and is something that is easily looked past within the first hour of play.

The story is intriguing and the voice acting acceptable for today's standards. It won't blow you away, but it will rarely (if ever) make you cringe.

Loot seems right on top for how often a blue drops you may enjoy using to a unique, or even a green.
    You'll find yourself harken back to the days of Diablo 2 trying to finish that awesome set for the bonuses, or grinding away to find embers (socketables).

Character customization is here, and gladly accepted. Diablo 3 and all games seem to treat us gamers like complete idiots and dumb down intricate systems of customization, not here. You tailor your stats and then create your build, no two builds are the same due to the amount of options per class.

Bottom line, for 20 dollars, this is the BEST investment you could make if you enjoy the A-RPG genre, another major factor why I couldn't justify shelling out $60 to Blizzard for Diablo 3.

And of course, why is this game a spiritual successor to Diablo 2? Well Matt Uelman of course. During your play you can almost hear bits of the music give you a taste of Diablo 2 and 1.

The ace in the whole for the entire series was lost when Blizzard North got decimated and they lost Matt Uelman, look no further, he's here, he's alive...in Torchlight 2.
  63. Sep 25, 2012
    This game is AWESOME

PERFECT in every points

I can't beleive that I bought this GREAT GAME for ONLY 20$

Thanks Runic for this game, you rock!
  64. Sep 25, 2012
    Torchlight II is the pc game of the year 2012. It slaps Diablo III in the face by doing things differently, yet it mimics some parts of the Diablo series. Which makes Torchlight II even more ridiculous yet wonderful. Its attitude is a bitter pill for Blizzard and its developers. And a blessing for the disappointed Diablo fans.
  65. Sep 26, 2012
    What more needs to be said? The launch was flawless, other than the fact that their website was hit with so much traffic due to people registering for accounts, and as a result, many people weren't able to register and play online. Those that were able to register before the mayhem started were able to play online. But this was only a minor inconvenience in reality. Why? Torchlight II hadWhat more needs to be said? The launch was flawless, other than the fact that their website was hit with so much traffic due to people registering for accounts, and as a result, many people weren't able to register and play online. Those that were able to register before the mayhem started were able to play online. But this was only a minor inconvenience in reality. Why? Torchlight II had single player available at launch, as their previous title had. Not only that, but the characters on single player are linked to those you use on the internet, so even if you weren't able to play online the day of release, no time was lost!

If you like ARPG's, a number of the people at Runic Games came from a more known company: Blizzard North, who was behind Diablo 1 and Diablo 2. Needless to say, Torchlight II fits the bill of a superb ARPG, as to be expected from former Blizzard North employees.

The people at Runic know how to make an ARPG. They don't try to force a story-line on you. They don't repeatedly nerf/buff in the name of balance, because an ARPG is not all about balance. They don't release "new" items with the same exact bland affixes and call them new.

Other companies, mainly Blizzard (I like to call them Blizzard South still), are trying to morph the ARPG genre into a more MMORPG style where content is released in tiers, players and monsters are constantly balanced around one another, and items are based off of primary stats and weapon DPS. This is not the case whatsoever with Torchlight II, they have shown time and again that they are sticking to their roots with ARPG's, and I don't foresee that changing any time in the near future.
  66. Sep 26, 2012
    OK, I must confess I was only going for a 9.5 for TL2, but can only go whole numbers, so 10 / 10 it is. At first it's a bit cartoony to me, but get use to it pretty quick. The game play / boss / drops / offline / character designs.... are all great. Have been trying all the characters and didn't mind to run through the same quests again for all of them. One thing I would like to have isOK, I must confess I was only going for a 9.5 for TL2, but can only go whole numbers, so 10 / 10 it is. At first it's a bit cartoony to me, but get use to it pretty quick. The game play / boss / drops / offline / character designs.... are all great. Have been trying all the characters and didn't mind to run through the same quests again for all of them. One thing I would like to have is the ability to re-do an act so I can get the different pieces of the quest rewards! Not that's a big issues, just a personal thing for wanting to collect all the pieces (if I can). There's a slight bug / issue I have with the game, sometimes the mobs are off screen and literally becomes invisible but they can still attack you from that range. Not a big issue, but would be great if that's fixed. Actually there's another thing, would be great to respec more than 3 skill points (I don't mind using the console for the respec-potion though). Ah, and music / sound effect is great!
    I like the different magics / skill / gameplay / random dungeons at the end. Look forward for more patch / expansion / contents later, although even without them, I'll probably be playing for at least the next 6 months or so. =P

Awesome game for $20! It's almost a steal (buyer's advantage) . Must try for anyone that likes the ARPG genre.
  67. Sep 26, 2012
    Frankly, I don't usually review games that much, however I am an avid gamer, and with that I would definitely say that Torchlight 2 deserves a 10. Based on my experience on playing different games, I could say that TL2 truly shines among the lot. TL2 offers a good bit of variety to the fray (pleasant lighting, varying creatures, overall flow of the game), oftentimes I feel immersed as IFrankly, I don't usually review games that much, however I am an avid gamer, and with that I would definitely say that Torchlight 2 deserves a 10. Based on my experience on playing different games, I could say that TL2 truly shines among the lot. TL2 offers a good bit of variety to the fray (pleasant lighting, varying creatures, overall flow of the game), oftentimes I feel immersed as I grind through one single boss fight, not minding how long it took to beat, rather enjoying ever moment trying to do so. The developers have really taken the time and effort on "listening" to what its players had to say, and I am thankful towards this decision that they've made. I believe the TL series still has so much untapped potential, and I'm eager to find out what improvements the developers still have in mind, if any. Expand
  68. Sep 26, 2012
    A real gem!

Torchlight 1 was a fun game but it lacked of some features, like multiple towns, endgame options and multiplayer. Torchlight 2 not only fixes those flaws but also adds a lot of content. There's plenty of loot (magic/rare/unique/legendary items). You can find socketed items and add gems to improve them. Better, you can even add sockets to your items if you manage to find a
    A real gem!

There's plenty of loot (magic/rare/unique/legendary items). You can find socketed items and add gems to improve them. Better, you can even add sockets to your items if you manage to find a rare NPC.

Got enough gold? Pay an enchanter to add random properties to an already epic item. Do some dungeon crawl and find a special enchanter to add specific properties related to one of four game 'elemental' (electric, fire, ice, poison).

I highly recommend it to any ARPG fans out there. And, yes, it's much better than Diablo 3.
  69. Sep 26, 2012
    It feels more like a journey than just a grind. While not actually playing, time goes into your character build instead of window shopping in an overpriced auction house. Itemization is on point and can be tinkered with to make items fit your build even more. The game design reminds me of when I played through Warcraft 3 one player (had no net at the time) and felt that even though it wasIt feels more like a journey than just a grind. While not actually playing, time goes into your character build instead of window shopping in an overpriced auction house. Itemization is on point and can be tinkered with to make items fit your build even more. The game design reminds me of when I played through Warcraft 3 one player (had no net at the time) and felt that even though it was cartoonish, it still felt crisp and stylish. I didn't get too into Diablo 2 like other friends had in the past, and Diablo 3 was supposed to be my initiation into the genre. The whole time we were playing Diablo 3 I heard that it was nothing like Diablo 2 so I was itching to get that experience under my belt. I could have gone back and picked up Diablo 2, but this game is definitely fitting the bill! Expand
  70. Sep 26, 2012
    This is the game we have all dreamed during these years to succeed Diablo 2. In the future it will be seen as a true legend, a classic, on the same level as Half-Life, Kotor 1, Civilization 1 and Grim Fandango.
  71. Oct 8, 2012
    This game getes a 10/10. I've played it since the release and I've played over 40 hours, and counting. Customization, great multiplayer, exploration, great rewards, fast leveling, and insane skills make this game a must-have. I can make a tank with ANY class, I can make a DPS with ANY class, I can make an Elemental DPS with ANY class, I can make an all-around with ANY class, etc. ThisThis game getes a 10/10. I've played it since the release and I've played over 40 hours, and counting. Customization, great multiplayer, exploration, great rewards, fast leveling, and insane skills make this game a must-have. I can make a tank with ANY class, I can make a DPS with ANY class, I can make an Elemental DPS with ANY class, I can make an all-around with ANY class, etc. This game offers the customization that D3 SHOULD have had. If you liked D2, you will LOVE this. Expand
  72. Sep 27, 2012
    Best gaming experience I've had in a long time. The game has FREE DLC planned for it and maybe even an expansion. The best ARPG i've played since Diablo II, and i would argue even better. If you don't own this game and you own D3. You are either a chinese botter or an addicted moron. This game is built around fun, and after 30 hours i didn't have a moment that didn't keep me entertainedBest gaming experience I've had in a long time. The game has FREE DLC planned for it and maybe even an expansion. The best ARPG i've played since Diablo II, and i would argue even better. If you don't own this game and you own D3. You are either a chinese botter or an addicted moron. This game is built around fun, and after 30 hours i didn't have a moment that didn't keep me entertained and im hungry for more. Great gear, great monsters, great abilities, and even better dungeons.

The new trendsetter for all future APRGs or dungeon based games.
  73. Sep 27, 2012
    This game is awesome; everything that Diablo 3 should have been. The game mechanics are fun and enjoyable. Harder difficulties and late game are tough but not impossibly infuriating like D3. My only gripe is the over the top cartoon graphics. Had the same gripe with the original Torchlight, but since the developers permit the game to be modded, actually encourage it, it is only a matter ofThis game is awesome; everything that Diablo 3 should have been. The game mechanics are fun and enjoyable. Harder difficulties and late game are tough but not impossibly infuriating like D3. My only gripe is the over the top cartoon graphics. Had the same gripe with the original Torchlight, but since the developers permit the game to be modded, actually encourage it, it is only a matter of time before graphics overhaul mods come out for the game. Expand
  74. Sep 28, 2012
    Torchlight II is a great hack n' slay even better than Diablo 3. I liked Diablo 3 a lot but at about 40-50 hours it was unplayable for me because it was too hard. In Torchlight II there was actually no Problem for me. What i think is great is that you can switch between lan single player and multiplayer. The drop-rate of good Items is a lot better than in Diablo 3 so you still don't needTorchlight II is a great hack n' slay even better than Diablo 3. I liked Diablo 3 a lot but at about 40-50 hours it was unplayable for me because it was too hard. In Torchlight II there was actually no Problem for me. What i think is great is that you can switch between lan single player and multiplayer. The drop-rate of good Items is a lot better than in Diablo 3 so you still don't need an Auction House. All in all I have to say: A great game with a not that great story and a low graphic but it is still FUN for about 20 Expand
  75. Sep 28, 2012
    Looks like an awesome game!if you like aRPG's, there's no need to convince you with a long blob of text. This game will confidently tick at the very least the majority of your aRPG boxes. If you simply just want an excellently constructed, fun and well polished game that continues to reward the players on every play through, this is also it. And for $20, you have absolutely no reason notLooks like an awesome game!if you like aRPG's, there's no need to convince you with a long blob of text. This game will confidently tick at the very least the majority of your aRPG boxes. If you simply just want an excellently constructed, fun and well polished game that continues to reward the players on every play through, this is also it. And for $20, you have absolutely no reason not to buy it and say 'Yes. This is what I want from a game. This is why I play them'. You have a rare opportunity to vote with your pocket book and have incredible levels of fun at the same time. Go get it. Thank me later. I'll be over here, enjoying this. Expand
  76. Sep 28, 2012
    Amazing game. It is the game Diablo 3 suposed to be. When you start playing you totaly forget about time. You feel like you have been playing for 30 minutes and it's 3 hours. Worth every penny.
  77. Sep 30, 2012
    Best $20 I've spent in a long time. As 1 of only 3 people to have NEVER played the Diablo series, I have no way of knowing how it compares. However, this game does bear many similarities to Dungeon Runners, that short lived MMO by NCSoft. But TL2 is a lot better by comparison. The monsters, boss fights, loot, game play, and landscapes are far more interesting, yet both make (or *made*Best $20 I've spent in a long time. As 1 of only 3 people to have NEVER played the Diablo series, I have no way of knowing how it compares. However, this game does bear many similarities to Dungeon Runners, that short lived MMO by NCSoft. But TL2 is a lot better by comparison. The monsters, boss fights, loot, game play, and landscapes are far more interesting, yet both make (or *made* in the case of DR) it very easy to jump in and start fighting, either alone or with others. Both games had a very similar art style, reminiscent of WOW, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Expand
  78. Sep 28, 2012
    With the bundle running at about 14.99 for 4 people in steam this game is a steal. I highly suggest it as the game's fun factor increases with the number of players. Graphics do look old, but was tastefully done. It's just one of those game's that doesn't need state of the art looks to make the cut.

Ironically, this game gives a nostalgic feeling of diablo II more-so than diablo III.

Overall, despite the lack of graphics... the game is just plain old fun.
  79. Sep 29, 2012
    To anyone who enjoys the dungeon crawler genre, I highly recommend Torchlight II. The classes are very balanced and each has a great skill tree. I enjoyed the single player campaign a lot. But the multiplayer was what I really liked. All in all, good game, nice maps, and great loot system. Best thing of all, If i'm somewhere without internet, I can still play.
  80. Sep 30, 2012
    Torchlight 2 brings ARPG gameplay to players at its best, the way in which enemies explode in gold or items makes the game incredibly exciting and challenging at the same time compared to torchlight 1 the difficulty of torchlight 2 makes the player feel threatened by even the smallest of enemies while still giving th player a sense of power over the environment. The newly fashioned coopTorchlight 2 brings ARPG gameplay to players at its best, the way in which enemies explode in gold or items makes the game incredibly exciting and challenging at the same time compared to torchlight 1 the difficulty of torchlight 2 makes the player feel threatened by even the smallest of enemies while still giving th player a sense of power over the environment. The newly fashioned coop mode adds a whole new level of enjoyment to the game playing with up to 6 people at once you get to collaborate with each other to fight bosses and share gear. I find the replayibility of the game incredibly high since release i've played hardcore mode on veteren 6 times with friends on coop and each of the times i've felt an equal or even higher sense of satisfaction from the game. The classes are incredibly diverse allowing the player to play a syle that suits him or her with all sorts of differet skill sets and gear this aspect of the game i feel is a major factor in the replayibility of the game. The only weak point i feel the storyline of the game which is inferior to that of diablo but this flaw is offseted by a multitude of incredibly well thought out features of the game such as dungeons boss fights and the open world itself where one can encounter a wide asortment of monsters. One of the best aspects of torchlight 2 i feel are the boss fights staged in grand arenas ,the pinacle of any ARPG they are well thought out and paced reasonably well depending or difficulty level the bosses themselves are unique in their own right and no where in the game have i found any clear sign of obivious copies of any one boss ,after grinding through the hard won boss fights the amount of enemy corpes on the floor gives me an incredibly feeling of satisfaction picking up the droped gear and gold is even more fulfilling. Overall i feel that torchlight 2 is an excellent game that has far surpassed my expectations setting an example for future games of this genre rivaling Diablo 3 in every way. Runic games has proven a worthy rival of Blizzard if not better. Expand
  81. Oct 7, 2012
    It has got the spirit of old D1 & D2. Way better play experience than D3. It has got the heart. Gamer's choice. Recommended to any old school Diablo fan. The right vibe is there.
  82. Sep 30, 2012
    This game is great because of its nice graphics meaty action and the large amount of items you can have in the game. the demo is amazing because if you done want to pay for the game but you want to play a small amount of it you can the demo has a resanable size and with the four different charecters it has a fair amount of replayability. Overall great game. Definetly worth trying the demo.
  83. Oct 1, 2012
    ARPG perfection. Beautiful art style, endless loot to collect, LAN play, Single player offline play, moddable, wonderful music, 6 player co-op - all for 20 dollars? I for one am very glad I decided to skip Diablo III (at 60 dollars? huh?) and patiently waited for this. Great job Runic!
  84. Oct 2, 2012
    The game is solid all the way around. I only drop 9/10 because I like my graphics on the dark horror side of things. Good job Runic, will defiantly check out your next release.
  85. Oct 2, 2012
    This game is really really addictive and a real challenge in Elite.
    I am enjoying playing this game and its been like 2 years i havent enjoying that much.
    Its just what D3 should have been!
    A very good surprise!
  86. Oct 3, 2012
    For real, this game is all i wanted diablo 3 to be.
    Awesome gameplay, nice skill-trees, interesting quests, great item-drop (so, i can wear myself, is it great? yes, its awesome), perfect stylish graphics and.. BOSSES. Yes, i'm playing Hardcore Elite only, and these bros makes me sick, i'm afraid of them. Torchlight 2 is the greatest action-RPG game after Diablo 2 LoD was released.
  87. Oct 3, 2012
    Torchlight 2 is what Diablo 3 should've been. Also, I have one word for you: Mods!
    This game will have a higher replay value than both Borderlands 2 & Diablo 3 combined! (Atleast for me.)
  88. Oct 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Having played the whole Diablo series not since beginning but close enough to, since I was only 5 or 6, I believe that torchlight 2 is what people were expecting diablo 3 to be like. Given Blizzard North(For the most part) made this game, it is no surprise that it is like this. However, unlike previous games, of this sort, difficulties are set at level 1, rather than being set at the final completion of the storyline in each difficulty(normal/nightmare/hell etc. The speed or pace of the game is quite fast, faster than that of the diablo series but there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It gives players the feeling that they're completing the storyline or quests quicker than what they would, but as people know.. "Time flies when you're having fun". Much like Diablo 2, the "endgame" mapworks, is a lot like a baal run, repetitive but quick and easy enough to do it over and over again. The maps vary between 5 possible maps, but multiple outcomes on each and level difficulties are planted in the map title. This is obviously quite newbie friendly and much like other parts of the game are a great addition.

The only problem I personally have and am unsure if others have this problem too, is that multiplayer can be quite 'iffy' to say the least. When connecting to a game on multiplayer that someone else has created, you can get either a inability to connect, very long load screen(1-5 mins) or a smooth running game.

With all this being said and the only issue is online play (which is expected with player hosted servers), I will gladly give this a 9/10 overall, but 10/10 gameplay as I am a huge fanboy of Blizzard North.
  89. Oct 5, 2012
    Yup, definitely giving this a 10.

It's got everything that made the original game so good and a whole list of excellent new features that make it even more of a joy to play. The graphics and animations are spectacular, the sound effects are meaty and satisfying and the steam-punk style artwork is top-notch. There is an over-whelming amount of really cool loot to pick up, some of
    Yup, definitely giving this a 10.

There is an over-whelming amount of really cool loot to pick up, some of which gives nods to other games and pop-culture. The monsters are appropriately challenging and there is a huge amount of them onscreen pretty much all the time. Some of the bosses are *massive* and even the areas are diverse and interesting. Finally, the biggest selling points for me would have to be the possibility of playing offline, the excellent multi-player and the brilliant decision to allow for modding. It's amazing what Runic has done with this game, and it's previous entry, compared to Diablo 3's massive budget, this proves that an indy game can be every bit as good, if not better than the big name studios.
  90. Oct 6, 2012
    Torchlight 2 has all the ingredients for the perfect ARPG. Runic games updates frequently the game to assure that there are no problems, and they have a fantastic support service. I'm betting that they will release an expansion pack, and posibly with a PVP option. And the possibilities with the mod tools are endless.
  91. Oct 6, 2012
    This game is just great! The reason i bought it was not only because it was cheap, but also because i liked playing Diablo 3. The only problem was that Diablo 3 was getting very boring after a while. Torchlight 2 is very nice!! :)
  92. Oct 6, 2012
    Fantastically engaging dungeon crawler with strong randomisation that allows for real replayability. Although the story is somewhat passable, the gameplay and character design more than makes up for this and for 20 dollars you just can't beat it
  93. Oct 8, 2012
    If you don't know what to do, i tell you, PLAY THIS GAME, it is pretty awesome, the graphics, the characters, the action, the music, everything is AWESOME, just AWESOME, i made a "OutLander" and God, i really want to play this all the day, i really really really enjoy this game. Play It, You'll Love IT!
  94. Oct 9, 2012
    Torchlight II is clearly the best Hack and Slay game since Diablo 2. It brings much needed changes to the classic game mechanics like limited respec (3 skills) for people who want to try without getting penalized for it later in the game. But it stays true to the things that make a Diablo style hack and slay game good. The pet reliefs you from the trips back to town to sell whatever isTorchlight II is clearly the best Hack and Slay game since Diablo 2. It brings much needed changes to the classic game mechanics like limited respec (3 skills) for people who want to try without getting penalized for it later in the game. But it stays true to the things that make a Diablo style hack and slay game good. The pet reliefs you from the trips back to town to sell whatever is cluttering your inventory or to buy new potions. So you can keep on slaying those monsters. And speaking of monsters there are TONS of them and every monster feels unique and has one or more special attack. It's never just another guy who will try to hit you with a mace. On the first playthrough I thought noumerous times that I just encountered a small boss but it was just a regular monster with awesome attacks. It is amazing how much love they put in those side quests. You'll see quest bosses that will blow your mind and there are secret rooms and things to explore everywhere. If you like Eastereggs you will live Torchlight 2. The classes feel refreshing and new. The engineer is a nice mix between a hard hitting two hander / tanking and summoning class but has some ranged skills too (Canons!). The item and loot system is also very good. You can play for 30 minutes and it never feels like you wasted your time. You'll still have progressed a little and probably found some useful items.

The only thing that I'd like to have in Torchlight 2 is that NG+s ( replay the story with existing character on higher difficulty due to higher monster level ) play a bit different than the first play through. In Diablo 2 you'd face monsteres from other Acts earlier and they would have immunities or multiple affixes ( Extra Fast, immune vs. Fire, Lightning Enchanted etc.) and maps would get bigger on higher difficulties. With Torchlight 2 the monsters will simply deal more damage and take less damage. Other than that awesome game.... oh and it's a real bargin!
  95. Oct 11, 2012
    Awesome successor of Torchlight. If you like Action RPG with colorful cartoon-like graphics, fast paced action and tons of loot to sort through this game is a must have. I in particular enjoy the freedom regarding skills. You don't have to go through a hole tree to get to the good stuff - this enables really interesting builds, and rewards replays. Beside size of the world, multiplayerAwesome successor of Torchlight. If you like Action RPG with colorful cartoon-like graphics, fast paced action and tons of loot to sort through this game is a must have. I in particular enjoy the freedom regarding skills. You don't have to go through a hole tree to get to the good stuff - this enables really interesting builds, and rewards replays. Beside size of the world, multiplayer support is the biggest changes compared to the first part of the series. Hopefully Runic will add Steam Workshop support sometime.

For the current price at about 20 USD it's quite a steal and will entertain you for a long time.
  96. Oct 12, 2012
    For 20 dollars there is not a ARPG that comes close to beating TL2. This game is fun as hell polished and after 50 hours im not even lose to bored yet. This game is my game of the year and deserves 10/10.
  97. Oct 13, 2012
    Torchlight II, the $20 game that outshines your $60/per game collection by a long shot. Runic games once again proves they are a major player when it comes to creating an amazing game that the gamers WANT. Every tiny detail in Torchlight II is masterfully created and fine tuned. The scenery is gorgeous, the graphics are stylish and flush, and the gameplay speaks to you in a way that get'sTorchlight II, the $20 game that outshines your $60/per game collection by a long shot. Runic games once again proves they are a major player when it comes to creating an amazing game that the gamers WANT. Every tiny detail in Torchlight II is masterfully created and fine tuned. The scenery is gorgeous, the graphics are stylish and flush, and the gameplay speaks to you in a way that get's your mojo flowing.. if you know what I mean. This game is not for people with slow reaction times or people with weak arms. You'll be gloriously hyper-clicking your heart away as you evade and damage your enemies with lightning fast maneuverability abilities. Each class to choose from comes packed with amazing spells and such, and there's no limit to what you can create. Each character class is fully attributable in customization and each class has 3 unique talent trees to fill out over the course of level 1-100. Beating the game means nothing, Mapworks provides you with a map vendor who sells you dungeon scrolls to keep slaying baddies and stocking up that loot. Game getting to easy? No problem, hop into 6 player online co-op and start getting your face rolled on Elite Difficulty (Hardcore YOLO mode optional) or start the New Game+ mode where you re-roll the game map to randomize it a little and start the single player story over again, this time the monsters are stronger and you get to keep your stats and gear to bring them down again for even more powerful items. It's a joyous experience this entire game, the almost near perfect score I give this game suffers from only 1 thing, and that is the lackluster storytelling. While many Torchlight 1 fans will follow through the storytelling without too much confusion, there's much left open to anyone who's never traversed the lands of Torchlight. This game is huge.. and by huge I mean REALLY REALLY BIG. Every nook and cranny should be explored, there's hundreds of secret rooms, easter eggs, and unique items just waiting to be found. Keep a keen eye on everything, you won't be disappointed when you realize you can in fact put that lotion in the bucket and receive a Buffalo Bill parody mask. Seriously, why are you still reading this mini review? Go buy the game already! Okay, so more information.. this game is filled to the brim with loot, and that's not a bad thing. Items are already identified if they are worse than the gear you already have equipped. This is so you know that when you pick something special up and have to identify it you know it's got some worth. You get a pet, you can choose between hawks, dogs, cats, panthers, ferrets, whatever. Your pet is your go to guy, he/she can hold your excess loot, haul it back to town for you and sell it, and even bring you some potions/scrolls if you want to make a shopping list for him. Hell, the only time you ever really need to go back to town is when your inventory is filled with super rares and gems. I'm a little bit of a Torchlight fanboy, I'll admit that.. but I have every reason to be after the disaster D3 was. The original creators of Diablo 1 and 2 are the same people who made Torchlight. We all love D2 right? Exactly, now go let Runic take your money. If this game disappoints you, you have no soul... this is the spiritual successor of the Diablo franchise. Support game companies like Runic, they are the future of keeping games made for gamers. Expand
  98. Oct 13, 2012
    Damn, get this, for $19 its the best duckets you will ever spend... D3 for $60 ...hehe RIP!! If you are a big fan of titan quest and any Diablo title, torchlight 2 will blow you away....period!
  99. Oct 14, 2012
    This game just FEELS right. I've never been a fan of the "click on things until they die" genre, but Torchlight II is seriously satisfying to play. Especially with friends in multiplayer. A word to the wise: Play on Veteran, or even Elite, never Normal mode. It's more fun with a bit of a challenge.

Don't go into this game expecting a story, though. It's all "go into that cave, bring back my MacGuffin!" They've done the bare minimum to get you into the real meat of the game, which is some great dungeon crawling leading to epic boss battles.

If you've got 3 gamer friends, try to go in for a 4-pack on steam for the discounted price and play together online or on LAN.
  100. Oct 16, 2012
    Great game!!! Played it start to finish twice with my wife and we both luv it. Not super complex, not super hard to play, lots of different builds seem to work well. Good hack and slash dungeon crawler at an unbelievable price. I could see hard core gamers finding it a little trivial but we luv it as a fast paced run, hack and slash. The graphics are so good we find ourselves stoppingGreat game!!! Played it start to finish twice with my wife and we both luv it. Not super complex, not super hard to play, lots of different builds seem to work well. Good hack and slash dungeon crawler at an unbelievable price. I could see hard core gamers finding it a little trivial but we luv it as a fast paced run, hack and slash. The graphics are so good we find ourselves stopping often just to appreciate the artwork in different areas. Best game $ I've spent in a long time. Expand
  101. Sep 21, 2012
    This is a fantastic game. I am playing as a mage and I am having more fun than I did in Diablo 3. Great graphics and addictive gameplay. A great value for just $20. The developers have promised free DLC, buy th
    is game and support the developers. This game is a lot of fun in multiplayer. This game gets a 9 because the story elements in the game are lacking. If this game had a better story it would be a masterpiece. Buy this game you will not be disappointed.

Torchlight 2 offers everything an action RPG fan wants: a huge campaign, variety of enemies, a rich system of quality loot, well-balanced and fresh classes with different build options, care-free and fun multiplayer modes. [November 2012]
  2. Dec 13, 2012
    Sure, it might not reinvent the wheel as built by Diablo II over a decade ago, but Runic deserves props for perfectly recreating the formula. Many others have tried to bring their own take on Diablo to the market-and failed. Runic didn't, which makes Torchlight II an essential purchase for anyone who loves to crawl through dungeons while scoring phat loot.
  3. Nov 25, 2012
    A slick action RPG with wit and charm, this is a genuine alternative to Diablo III. [Christmas 2012, p.93]