8.6

1. Sep 23, 2012
    Well, this is pretty much what I wanted Diablo 3 to be.
    Fun fast paced gameplay. Awesome loot system. Offline and online play. Interesting and versatile classes.
    Everything you could want from an ARPG can be found in TL2 and then some.

So, if Runic can deliver us this amazing game for 20$ why can't Blizzard make something remotely interesting for 60$?
  2. Sep 23, 2012
    The best Diablo-like since Diablo 2... More fun and lighter than Diablo 3. Really good small design ideas that keep the interest going, plus the beloved skill tree. Plus you can play single player.
    In a nutshell, it's a blizzard game designed by a blizzard team who just happen not to be at blizzard anymore :)
  3. Oct 1, 2012
    Excellent game, I played and adored torchlight but this. This is ~500% better than it's predecessor. Buying this game is a must (or torrent it but then buy). 10/10 without any doubt!
  4. Oct 9, 2012
    My thoughts about this game were crystalized while playing with my wife. Steam went down. Our LAN game kept right on working as if nothing had ever happened... unlike with Diablo 3, where a server hiccup gets you killed. I could stop there, but the game is more fun, the items are more enjoyable to find due to more interesting effects, building up a character is more fun (and permanent). Sure the graphics are simpler, but they work really well and for $20 they're definitely up to the task. The bottom line here is that this is what DIablo 3 should have been. Expand
  5. Oct 2, 2012
    This is a great game and everything I hoped for. I purchased the four pack and I play LAN games with my daughters and wife. We have had a packet of fun. My youngest is 6 and even she can play casual level - well worth it.
  6. Sep 20, 2012
    Wow, that's all I can say. This game just feels so right! From the art style to combat mechanics this game is 10/10. When it comes down to the $20 price point you can't go wrong with Torchlight 2!
  7. Oct 3, 2012
    Outstanding ARPG Dungeon Crawler. 20 Bucks is such a low price for the games worth. I would pay a full 60 for this. Having a blast. Def check this game out.
  8. Sep 30, 2012
    My Torchlight II review was deleted for some reason. It was rated very high as being a helpful review. I don't understand why it was deleted. Is Metacritic censoring people now? That's not a good way to get an accurate community opinion, but whatever, Metacritic is not the website that I thought it was.... Anyway, Im giving Torchlight II a 10 out of 10 because it is just plain fun, there is no other way to describe it. I don't understand how Blizzard took some 10 years to release a $60 game that failed so badly, while Runic took less than 3 years to release a $20 game that is universally loved. I feel sorry for all the people that were pulled into Diablo 3 by all the nostalgia only to find a real money pay to win auction house, and a constantly online DRM system designed to punish people that actually bought the game. Runic really likes their fans, and everything about Torchlight II shows that they really listen to them. Thank you Runic for showing the world how game companies are supposed to operate. Blizzard may have made more money by selling fake nostalgia, but Runic gained a lot more fans by selling a real product. Expand
  9. Oct 11, 2012
    Torchlight 2 is an action roleplaying game sequel to Torchlight, which does an exceptional job on expanding on the original game. On its own merit, price point, style, and overall quality, it is a highly enjoyable, ARPG with a vast amount of replay value and reeks of quality (even or especially at $20). For the past week I've been running through the game at different levels, hardcore mode, multiple characters etc, and what I've found is that the game plays great, has not crashed once, and delivers on improving what Runic started with Torchlight. I do enjoy the visual style and ambiance of the game (Wow comparisons aside, as Wow didn't invent a cartoony/streamlined style), although it may not be for everyone, it does come across well and consistent throughout the game, although most of the time the finer details of my character are lost anyway as I tend to zoom out to the farthest extent when playing. Runic has done a very good job with this game, listened to what the community wanted, and provided (more or less) exactly what they promised. TL 2 is not a revolutionary game, but then again, not every game has to be. It is fun, fast-paced, highly enjoyable, does not have any real money transactions (I do not like them) and brings the most important concept to the forefront: Its freakin fun. And I haven't even had a chance to play co-op yet. All in all this game has the potential to be one of the games you look back on as a classic, as Runic has created a game with little or no caveats for the player, just pure fun. The only real criticism I have is of the voice acting, which runs the gamut from fair to bland, and the story itself. It's not that its bad in any form, but it doesn't really catch you in the way games like Mass Effect do. Thankfully, the game is pretty straightforward with the telling of the story and doesn't seem to dwell unnecessarily on needless dialogue, leaving you more time to focus on the fighting/looting/leveling cycle, while still getting the overall gist of the story. To its credit, it does have some twists to it, which does add some interest, although it won't blow you out of the water. I anticipate that once the mod community gets their creative hands on this game, depending on how extensive the mod tools are, you will be able to change the game in ways that only people who play Oblivion/Morrowind/etc on the PC will know. One final note: the music...is...amazing. That's all that needs to be said other then the fact that I highly recommend this game Expand
  10. Oct 10, 2012
    I didn't play TL1 to any great extent. In fact, it was quite boring and repetetive. I kept an eye on Runic's plans for TL2 as they looked to be quite ambitious in comparison to the first entry of this series. I didn't take part in any beta events, and I bought the game on day one of release.........................I think the main point of focus when looking at TL2 is it's price vs product. For £15 it offers up a well polished game. Many will compare it to Diablo 3, which for my money, Blizzard failed to deliver anything like what I'd hoped, and if you are compelled to compare the two, then the first port of call is on loot. D3 absolutely failed on loot throughout it's entirety, and TL2 is the complete opposite. Plenty of loot drops that are relevant to your level and character...................Graphically TL2 has a less realistic feel to it, and is, strangely enough more comparable with Warcraft games. It is probably a required taste, but you soon lose yourself inside the game's various areas and dungeons......................As far as gameplay is concerned, well it's pretty standard fare for this genre, and I'd say gamers of any level can easily pick it up and play. As far as combat goes, it's pretty simple, and is probably where it lets itself down - but only slightly. Pretty much everything i've encountered so far on my Engineer is simply a case of spamming and running, but then again, I'm only about 10 hours or so into the game. Maybe later on, or on a more difficult setting everything might get ramped up - or might require some thought into how to defeat the bosses..................Finally, co-op play. For a game to include this at this price is quite rare, and a definate plus for Runic games' reputation. I've only tried it a couple of times, but it worked fine for me, and when you think back to only last year with Dungeon Siege 3 - which was a full priced supposed AAA title, where you had to stay in a limited area on the same screen as your compadres, how Runic have implemented it how they have on such a small budget shoud really make some developers sit back and rethink there approach as to what gamers want. If you deliver cr*p, then gamers will remember and speak with their wallets next time around - ie: they won't buy....................................So, TL:DR - TL2 is a welcome addition in the genre, something that I think I could put alongside Titan Quest as a winner in this genre....... Buy it - you won't be disappointed. Expand
  11. Sep 20, 2012
    For 20 bucks you just cant beat this game. What it lacks in production quality in terms of art, animation, story, and voice overs, it makes up for in item variety, item complexity, a sense of power, and overall action RPG fun!
  12. Sep 21, 2012
    Basically this game does many things right which the 2nd blockbuster successor of that game which this genre owes existence has failed to deliver on many levels. Even though you will inevitably find some quirks they are not going to become a fundamental game-stopper. It runs smoothly in single-player mode, there is useful loot to be found without having to give a jealous glance at some item shop your game is balanced around, there is no need to bore yourself through three rounds of easy mode before finally meeting a challenge as you can pick your appropriate difficulty mode from start, there's modding support and lastly and most importantly the game sticks to the guns and doesn't try to marry with MMO mechanics. What this means is also that there are no silly balancing efforts as well as other deterrents not adding to gameplay. Matt Uelmen's soundtrack adds perfectly well to the atmosphere, the sound is crispy and if you don't mind comic-style graphics and nonsensical story which does at least not try to take itself as serious and impose itself on the player then you can't go wrong with this game. Expand
  13. Sep 21, 2012
    It's just easy to say: That should have been in Diablo 3. All we loved in Diablo 2 is here in this game. Sure, graphics are more or less the same like in Torchlight 1, but who cares? Everybody, and i mean: Really everybody should be able to run this masterpiece. You don't need an hyper-pc to play, no. Runic made it playable for us all.

Just a quick summary: Runic aka ex Blizzard North:
    You did all right! Sorry, can't write more - have to do some quests & hunting for better loot. Expand
  14. Apr 25, 2013
    Remember the jump Assassin’s Creed made from 1 to 2? That’s what Torchlight 2 feels like. Runic Games knocked Torchlight 2 out of the park. It has phenomenal gameplay, and characters are more customizable than ever with 4 classes to choose from, each of which has a male and female variation. There are almost a dozen unique pets to choose from, and now play a much more important role than they did in Torchlight 1. The controls are easily customizable to your convenience and technical issues are incredibly scarce. The graphics engine is not demanding on the CPU or GPU, but still looks great. The introduction of the new game plus feature brings fantastic replay value to Torchlight 2. Add that to the mapworks feature, and you’ll have countless hours to spend after completing the game. In addition, the new co-op feature adds a fantastic multiplayer experience to the game. Players can’t by hoard or steal any loot with Torchlight 2’s great anti-cheating features. This is a fantastic investment of both your time and money. If you found Torchlight 1 fun at all, then Torchlight 2 will blow your mind. Expand
  15. Sep 24, 2012
    Lets get the obvious first, Torchlight II is the greatest action RPG of all time and maybe the best game ever made. Do not mind the Diablo fanboy reviews seen here on Metacritic, they cannot stand that 20$ game developed by few guys at Runic could deliver a masterpiece like Torchlight II. So, what exactly is so good in Torchlight 2, well the answer would be everything. The gameplay is perfect, the balance is perfect, the pace is perfect. The game simply is perfect. Expand
  16. Sep 25, 2012
    This is a shining example of what a sequel should be: improvement on everything that was wrong with the first game. This is basically the type of game we should've had in Diablo 3. Also remember that while respec options are limited, they'll just be modded in ASAP anyway,.
  17. Sep 22, 2012
    20 dollars for a game that will provide hundreds of hours of fun. Sounds like a good deal to me. They took everything that was great in D2 and Torchlight and added to it. If only D3 would have done this. Great job Runic! ignore other reviews saying "this game is too easy." I've been playing on ELITE with a berserker and it is very hard.
  18. Sep 24, 2012
    I would actually give this game an 8.5, but I'll round up cause I like it so much. Story is lacking, but since when has anybody ever played an action-rpg/ lootfest for its story? I have only two complaints. The first is that movement is poorly done. It is nice being able to move and attack with one hand, but it's infuriating as hell when I'm trying to run away from *insert unnaturaly big and scary monster here* and I accidently click on a minion, causing me to stop and attack. Shift makes your character stay still no matter what, and control makes your character move only when a target is highlighted. They need a button to overide attacking completely so I can move without worry of accidentally attacking. My second complaint are the bosses. This may just be a personal preference, but my view is that if a boss needs minions to fight me, then he wasn't cool enough to be in the game. Every boss in this game is surrounded by minons. It pisses me off to no end when I see a vicious looking boss and think "Oh man, this guy is going to rock my **** I wonder what his special power is... Oh he runs away and calls for help. That's cool..." Almost every boss in this game does that. Come to think of it, there's just kind of a lacking of boss creativity. Expand
  19. Sep 22, 2012
    This game is why we love Runic.. (release day the servers were swamped and people flip out over nothing) It truly does Torchlight justice.. they took everything that was awesome and added the things all the fans asked for (coop/multi being one) making it what has to be the best game i purchased this year hands down. Runic shasres the love and not the greed for 20 bucks you simply cannot beat it.
    TY Runic.. and to any fans of Torchlight or even Fate.. if you have'nt purchased it yet your missing an award winning rpg that has nailed it.
  20. Sep 27, 2012
    It's a sequel, but it is a proper sequel. More characters, more animals, more of an open world, more stats, more abilities... more more more. There is nothing really new or inventive about the game, it is just a great sequel for Torchlight. If you liked Torchlight you will like this.
  21. Sep 21, 2012
    A fabulous game made by (as said by Jay Wilson of Diablo3 / blizzard) a loser who made Diablo 1 and 2. Thanks you Runic games it's how a hack n slash must be. Not like that Big failure named Diablo 3. Hey Jay Wilson just phone Runic game for learning how to make a good hack n slash thanks.
  22. Sep 20, 2012
    Torchlight 2 is an excellent game, well worth your money and time. I really cannot say enough good things about this game. The user interface is very clean, easy to read, and aesthetically pleasing to me. The graphics aren't cutting edge, but are very tastefully done, with a lot of charm and character. Performance is great and the game runs very smooth on my modest desktop. There is a TON of loot, but not just any loot: GOOD loot; meaning that there is a good mixture of hefty decisions on what to use. The different weapon types all have their own feel to them. Everything feels "just right". Everything feels different and the "crunch" is there when killing monsters. The combat is perfect. I have never been more satisfied with combat. This game captures that perfect feeling you get when destroying things. It's awesome. The skill trees are much better done here than in the first Torchlight game, in my opinion. I haven't seen one skill shared between any of the 4 classes. There are plenty of skills to choose from when levelling up, and there are plenty of builds you can have in each class. It gives the player the freedom to have unconventional builds, and gives them plenty of tough choices without being overwhelming. Runic absolutely nailed it. Variety is handed out to the player like candy. There are a lot of different monster types, tons of new areas, both the overworld and dungeons, and a lot of armor and weapon models. The story is a little on the weak side, but the pacing is spot on. It picks up where the first Torchlight left off, and while weak, is more than adequate to give purpose on why you're making baddies go splat. You are not locked into the easier difficulty settings when starting a new character. If you want to start off on the hardest difficulty, you can. There is offline singleplayer, you can host or join internet games as well as lan games. I can honestly say that there is nothing about this game that irks me. It's the ARPG I feel most people have been waiting to get their hands on for what seems like an eternity. All of this at a price point that is unbelievable to me. I could go on and on. This game is an incredible value. Pick this up, you will not regret it one bit. Expand
  23. Oct 6, 2012
    Massively, massively fun. If the DRM--oops, 'always online feature' and RMAH of D3 pissed you off as much as they did me, give Torchlight 2 a shot. I love the loot drops--plentiful, fun, and with points that are USEFUL FOR MY CLASS, hint hint Blizz--and the LAN. No more dying to mobs offscreen because Blizz can't keep latency on their end working for my benefit. It's nice to be able to pick your gender (can't help it, got to be able to play as a girl or I get bummed out) and my husband and I are playing the **** out of this. It's everything that D3 should have been but wasn't. Lots of hidden rooms, portal beasts opening up new maps and all kinds of goodies. Plus, you can mod it. Need I say more? This game will be around for a long time. Good job, Runic. For 19.99 you can't go wrong with this one. Just don't let EA or Activision buy you out. Expand
  24. Sep 21, 2012
    Torchlight 2 sharpens the hack-and-slash genre to a fine point that sticks right in the greedy eyeball of Blizzard execs. A truly fun and addictive game. Good graphics, great soundtrack, original atmosphere -- once you get the game you'll only wish you had more time to play it. This game is on par in almost every respect with Diablo 3 and is 1/3 the cost. Vote with your wallets, folks.
  25. Sep 24, 2012
    This is an amazing game. It is astounding how talented the Runic Games team is. Even without Blizzards money they managed to create such a great game. I can not fault it in any way. I am not saying it is the perfect game, it's just so quite and solid as far as gameplay goes that you forget to look for flaws. I will be giving this game a 10 out of 10. It deserves it.
  26. Sep 20, 2012
    This game is a winner. The graphics are charming, combat is fluid and well paced, there are tons of random side-quests to do and small events to discover while smashing through monsters. Character development is diverse and feels meaningful, and the frequent drops of good loot just make you want to play on and on.

This game is everything that Torchlight 1 was and more. For only 20 bucks!
  27. Sep 20, 2012
    This right here? This is what we were expecting from diablo 3. It's everything you loved from the first with sugar on top. No always online drm lots of options graphically and easy to switch between *LAN* (more games should do this, this one sports lan people!) internet and single player. Did I mention there's no always online drm? It bears repeating. If you like diablo 1/2 and the first torchlight and similar top down hack and slash rpgs you owe it to yourself to get this game. Expand
  28. Sep 20, 2012
    There isn't much to say here. Torchlight 2 is a true successor to the ARPG genre and warrants every piece of good criticism out there. The graphics are not in my taste but I'd rather spend hours upon hours playing this than some stripped down game that moves the ARPG backwards. Great job Runic Games I look forward to playing this title in the coming future.
  29. Sep 20, 2012
    (Sorry for my bad english)
    The real spiritual successor of the Diablo saga. If you can see through the cartoon graphics you can see a deep game with an amazing gameplay that includes everything that Diablo III should had. Maybe the main campaign can look a little short but in two weeks we'll have the TorchED, the Mod Tool that will work with the Steam Workshop, that will bring a long life
    to the game. Hail to the new ARPG King! Expand
  30. Sep 26, 2012
    What a game. For $20 you cant go wrong. You will probably be playing this for months if not year. 4 different class you can experiment with. You get a choice of where to put your stat points. You get to play with up to 6 people.
  31. Sep 21, 2012
    Is it better than Diablo 3? Yes. Is it cheaper than Diablo 3? Yes. Do you get more for your money than Diablo 3? Yes. The art style is subject to taste and the story is probably even less coherent than Diablo 3, but lets be honest, nobody really plays games like this for it's story. It's a hack 'n slash isometric game and the best one released so far this year.
  32. Sep 23, 2012
    Why do I enjoy this game? Looking at my Steam history, I played the original Torchlight for a slightly embarrassing number of hours, and it seems I'm headed that way with this one too. There's nothing very original about Torchlight II but Runic have consistently shown that they take pride in their work, and can actually feel the developers' delight as you play this game. Their care for detail and dedication to the genre is evident throughout. For some of us that's a huge relief from big game houses that shove out shoddy ports of PS3 or XBox games with horrible DRM that comes over as an insult to their customers. Not to mention Blizzard turning Diablo 3 into a marketplace instead of a game.

The game itself is the same thing as the last one, but with better graphics, larger worlds and more variety of quests, monsters and loot. And with some atmospheric music, thank goodness, to replace the desperately bland sountrack to the first Torchlight.

I feel a bit silly for liking this game because there really is very little skill involved. The loot is random, to kill the monsters you just have to keep bashing, and the level ups come without too much effort. But it's so attractively done and we humans are suckers for exploring, and for repetitive activities with intermittent rewards, and I'm tired of games by the big, arrogant game houses that ultimately leave you feeling insulted. This is a delightful bit of seductive, harmless fun, which is what video games really should be.
  33. Sep 21, 2012
    This game really defines what I'd been waiting for in a ARPG since the days of (sorry, I have to say it) Diablo II. Great, detailed and rich world, awesome soundtrack and exquisite gameplay. Watching mobs explode as you attack is as satisfying as it can get. Even if the loot mechanics are a little overwhelming, this game is still, as of yet, the last bastion of PC Gaming's ARPGs.
  34. Dec 19, 2012
    While it lacks Diablo 3's looks with it's cartoon dayglow colours and simpler art style, it certainly makes up for it in every other way, the game is faster paced, feels more sturdy and sticks largely to the original diablo methods for skill trees and prgression. Loot side of things is right up there with Borderlands series.... theres simply tonnes of stuff, and thankfully without a god aweful action house you have to actualy earn everything.

A perfect companion game to Diablo 3, different enough to feel different doing the same thing.
  35. Sep 20, 2012
    Such a good game. I played diablo 2-3, dungeon siege 1-3, and torchlight. And i can safely say this beats all of them. It has that constant feel like eveyrthing is so unique and some awesome equipment is gonna come up your next fight. And its great it still has all the skills to get and level up and the animations for everything are awesome. The graphics are alot more polished over torchlight 1 but still give the same feel. The game has a never ending variety to monsters. You never feel like you are ever fighting the same species of creature for too long. The environments are great. And i can't explain how much i love the random events and finds. One second you kill a creature and teleported to a new realm where you get a challenge like defending a crystal from hordes of goblins or just roaming the world and you come across a bandit camp holding prisoners and if you free the prisoners they give you a chocie of three items to pick from which are always good. Then there are some secret actions you can do but i wont reveal that aspect of the game. So overall the game is by far the best hack and slash loot em up game out right now and probably for a long time. I haven't had the full experience with spells and magic as im more of a grab a hammer and smahs everytihng kinda player but from the looks of it it looks pretty sweet. And i also haven't tried co-op, but i mean if im having this much fun alone, having a buddy or two would just make it unreal. Final conclusion: Get the game, its 20 bucks. What do you have to lose? Expand
  36. Oct 6, 2012
    This game is simply amazing. It is simple yet there is so much content to be had/explored. For the price point of $20 it doesn't get any better than this! These guys are ex-Diablo developers and it shows. If you played and didn't love TL1 dw, this game is head and shoulders above anything TL was! It is, imo, also way better and more fun than Diablo 3. It has a longer campaign, more variety of mobs, more loot, more bosses and at times harder challenges. It is surely less polygons than D3 and has less engaging story than D3 (imo D3 already has a very weak story line) but the art style really grows on you and start loving it. It is very varied and never boring. The prospect of new features added by both Runic and the community through modding is such an exciting one! I can't express how glad I am that I actually made that $20 purchase. Absolutely worth it, especially if you like Diablo style ARPG. It is the epitome of it! Expand
  37. Sep 22, 2012
    Really a fantastic game. It's funny, it's deep contrary to what some people say just to bash it, it's full or surprises, it's big, it's cheap in price but not in features.
  38. Sep 22, 2012
    I'm personally not a big fan of cartoony graphics style, but with the great gameplay it is easily overlooked and highly recommended. Not to mention the value is much greater than $20! Well worth playing, all 4 classes are really fun thus far (I'm in the teens in level on all 4). Then I'm looking forward to the replayability in the future through the mods!
  39. Sep 22, 2012
    This game is awesome. Runic Games got it right,,,,the game is just plain fun to play. Unlike Diablo 3 this game is a joy to play and it's just so much fun. After playing Diablo 3 I was so let down. I didn't think Torchlight 2 was going to be this good, but it is.
  40. Oct 2, 2012
    I sunk 80 hours into this game. For 19 Euros this game was a steal. The gameplay is simple yet addicting. The itemprogression is what keeps you busy and constantly hunting for more and better items. The dungeons and bosses are way more versatile and interesting than the first game. The story is irrelevant in this game and not worth mentioning. It's a great game and for that price everyone should pick it up. Expand
  41. Sep 29, 2012
    This game is what Diablo 3 should have been. There is nothing else that needs to be said but Metacritic has a 150 minimum character requirement. The difficulty is more consistent than Diablo 3 and the game is not afraid to challenge you. The skill trees (yes, there are skill trees) are well thought out and reward focusing your point distributions. The loot is copious, the enemy variety refreshing, and the gameplay is like crack cocaine. Get over the cartoony look, get over the generic story and buy this game and play it. Expand
  42. Sep 22, 2012
    This game is absolutely brilliant, I enjoy it very much, however it crashed earlier when I quit an online game and it made my monitor go black and I had to reset my PC. When I got back on all my data was gone. I wanted to start over anyway but if this happens on my new character I will be very upset.
  43. Sep 26, 2012
    The game torchlight 2 should of been. Fantastic on launch, great stable multiplayer. Extremely fun and entertaining. Enough variety to keep you going for hours. Launch price was a instabuy.
  44. Sep 20, 2012
    Wow Runic games have done it again with a wonderful masterpiece. I was stunned by how well everything was made and performed. Instant 10/10. The only people who give it a 0, 1, or 2 are people who obviously haven't played the game!
  45. Oct 4, 2012
    Okay, so I had a weird start with this game, and I'm just here to amend my original review, which was a measly six. Now, my original issue was that the controls felt sluggish, and I still stand by that claim, but after about 10 hours or so, you get used to them... or perhaps you roll a class that feels good to you. Well, now I've done that, I've found the sword and board Engineer, and I'm have a ridiculous amount of fun here. The game is awesome. Just fun, fun fun fun. I've given up D3 in favor of this game, sad to say. The guys at Runic really understand what makes a game like this tick. It's the loot, mostly. :P And building a character is actually REALLY fun. Stat points! YEAH! Expand
  46. Sep 21, 2012
    Easily my game of the year. I have waited 2 years for this, stalking the website for it to finally come out, and 10 hours in, it had not dissapointed me once. Theres TONS of content here for 20 dollars, all completely polished. On top of that, anything you don't like in the game, you can just change with mods. It's pretty close to the peak of the genre. If you are a fan of hack and slash dungeon crawlers, this is the best one since Diablo 2. Expand
  47. Sep 23, 2012
    This game is what Diablo 3 should have been. Loot system is 10 times better, it actually has randomized maps, and just plays a ton better than D3 ever could.
  48. Sep 21, 2012
    With all the new things added, this is a very worthy sequel to Torchlight and the true spiritual successor of Diablo. Nothing beats charging the Charge Bar, killing a Boss with it and swimming in its loot afterwards.
  49. Sep 25, 2012
    This game deserves every 10/10 ratings given! It fast paced, challenging, tonnes of loots, tonnes of side quests and many more things to be done in the game. It just keeps getting more and more interesting. And the best part is, its mod-able and has so many great potentials. The developers marketing the game at $20 had definitely under priced it.
  50. Sep 24, 2012
    Every single red review mentions D3 at least once and was obviously made by a D3 fanboy. Don't listen to them. One of them was even going to give the game a 7 but instead gave it a ZERO because of all the tens T2 was getting. WHA??? What kind of insane logic is that? T2 takes everything from T1 and makes it better. EVERYTHING! But why take my word for it? IT ONLY COSTS $20! Go buy it and find out for yourself. Anytime you find a $20 game that you would gladly pay $60 for, it's a good day. Expand
  51. Sep 20, 2012
    The flow is there and it is great, once you start playing you just keep on going and all the little tedious actions like selling junk etc. are reduced to a bare minimum.
  52. Sep 23, 2012
    Only played a few hours as a Engineer but this is an outstanding action RPG experience. So much customization even at these early stages. It is hard to appreciate just how bad Diablo 3 is without playing this game.
  53. Sep 25, 2013
    Absolutely amazing. Everything D3 wasn't, and more. I'm getting ready to start my New Game+ and I'm more excited than I was at the beginning of my first play-through.

I can't say anything that hasn't been said before! GET THIS GAME!
  54. Sep 21, 2012
    I'm not a huge fan of hack and slash RPGs, but i played Titan Quest and Diablo III. Torchlight II is so good, addictive game. It will become classic game.
  55. Sep 22, 2012
    This game embarrasses Diablo 3 on every level. For starters it's actually fun. Offline single player, actually fun loot drops, more interesting skill system, less annoying mechanics, etc. Yet it's only $20.
  56. Nov 7, 2012
    Fantastische game. Dit is zoals Diablo 3 had moeten zijn , sterker nog, dit is diablo 3 voor mij. Geen flauwekul voor online hoeven spelen of een auctionhouse element die de maandelijkse kosten van de servers hiervoor moet bekostigen. In dit spel zijn de sterke spelelementen van Diablo II in tact gelaten en de wat zwakkere elementen van deel 2 verbeterd. Klasse spel!!
  57. Oct 12, 2012
    What diablo 3 should have been. Local lan support, no stupid blizzard drm, reasonably prized, no cash auction house. 10 out of 10 and a huge jump in quality and polish from the prev one
  58. Sep 21, 2012
    This is the quality dungeon crawler I was expecting from a certain other company..... T2 doesn't deviate too far from the sucessful recipe of the first. The scope of the missions and environments are broader and has a bit more polish. Well worth 20 bucks. If I knew then what I know now, I would have bypassed the whole Blizzard mess and stuck with Runic exclusively. It's a win.
  59. Sep 20, 2012
    Diablo 3 wasn't Diablo 3. Torchlight 2 is Diablo 3, made by the original Diablo team. Diablo 3 was an experiment by a company who owned the IP and were cashing in on its name. Torchlight 2 is real game, and a damn good one. Even the original Diablo composer is back with his moody sombre soundtrack. One can only dream of what Runic would have accomplished if they owned their baby. As it is, we get Torchlight 2, and lemme tell ya. . . It rocks. Expand
  60. Sep 20, 2012
    I've played Torchlight II for 30 seconds, and it's the best game ever. I played Diablo III for 750 hours, and it's the worst game ever.

If we really want to make a stand and tell ActiBli$$ard and Jay Fatboy Wilson, "!@#$ that loser," we must be vigilant. Buy as many copies of Torchlight II as you can afford, and rate the game as high as you can on as many websites as humanly possible.
    Speak nothing good about Diablow III, and speak nothing bad about Torchlight II.

Together, we can take a humongous collective dump on ActiBli$$ard's chest by making sure Torchlight II outsells that crappy crapfest Diablow III by leaps and bounds.

ARE YOU WITH ME, PATRIOTS?
  61. Sep 21, 2012
    I've had more fun playing this game the last two hours than I have the 300+ hours I've put into Diablo III. This game just does about everything right that Diablo III did wrong/ruined. It was quite the joyful experience being able to allocate my skill points as I pleased when I leveled up. For the first time in a long time, I had a smile on my face when playing an action RPG as opposed to Diablo III which really feels more like work and a timesink and I only smiled during the cinematics. Best of all, at 20 bucks this game is an absolute steal! AND Runic has promised not to charge for content updates :) Expand
  62. Sep 25, 2012
    This game is hands down better than Auction House 3. Now you can play on any difficulty you like in a world that constantly changes in every playthrough. It's only 20 bucks and with content like this it's probably worth more. No more having to endlessly grind through the same 2-3 levels just to buy garbage items from an AH to slightly improve your stats. In other words this game is fun fun fun!
  63. Sep 23, 2012
    Simply awesome! For those of us who have played the original Torchlight, this game is everything we wanted in a sequel. More towns, expansive maps, tons of loot, fluid and gorgeous graphics .. what more do you want. I don't own Diablo III and I have no plays on purchasing it either. THIS is the game I've been waiting for and I'm glad Runic waited until the bugs were worked out before releasing this gem of a game. Well, I'm done with my review and am now getting ready for more Torchlight fun :) Expand
  64. Sep 21, 2012
    Phenomenal. Gamers have been waiting for a game exactly like this for faaaar too long. Where Diablo 3 poured water on all of our inner Action-RPG flame, Torchlight II sparked a fire that will spread like a forest fire and burn like the sun in the hearts of passionate Ex-Diablo gamers for many suns, and many moons. All hail Torchlight II and the heaven-sent guys (and gals) at Runic who created it. Fanboy-ism aside, truely this team knows how to create a magic even Blizzard is blind to these days. Diablo II may have finally, AT LAST ~ met it's maker... Expand
  65. Sep 21, 2012
    This is how sequels should be made, bigger, better, more fun to play, pay attention actizzard... The game is improved in EVER aspect that needed improving and beyond. The biggest and best things I have managed to spot so far: - no always on drm (see actizzard? it CAN be done) - LAN play! - multiplayer available - no rubberbanding, lag etc.! - no stuttering, performance issues etc. (learn from this actizzard)
    - nice looking graphics, improved from previous, a player gets a clear picture of the battlefield, i know what im attacking, no mess or confusion even in the midst of battle, unlike d3 where at certain point you would lose yourself,
    - pets! means no need to teleport back to the city to sell junk/get pots etc., unlike d3
    - 4 distinct, fun to play characters,
    - talents and stat point that YOU CAN distribute as you please, unlike in d3 where they take you for an idiot, thus you end up with a ton of cool, personal builds and approaches
    - true RANDOM maps, unlike in d3 where its just a PR BS
    - tons of loot that is actually usefull and an improvement, unlike d3 where they force you to buy from rmah
    - great music, very good sounds
    - excellent gameplay, fun to kill mobs, get loot, develop your character, quite fast leveling up make you enjoy they playthrouh
    - you can set the difficulty level from the beginning unlike d3 where i had to go through extremely easy normal, nightmare, hell to get to somewhere with challange only to go against OP mobs with ridiculous skills
    - cool mobs to fight, nice boss fights, oh and the game is actually challanging unlike d3...
    - no pony level for emo children
    - loot customization, gems, enchants, unidentified gear vendor etc.
    - short load times
    - everything work smooth, no glitches, well polished product
    - runic games delivers what was promised!
    - replay value!
    - low cost (20$ or even less) !!!
    - free soundtrack !
    - devs that listen to people
    - complex yet easily accessible game
    - noob friendly
    - hardcore mode that you can play offline, no more lag fails!!!
    - true Diablo 2 successor in the spiritual sense
    - 6 players online support
    - 3 skill trees for each character that 12 reason to go through the game at least !
    - Mod support ! which will make the game more lasting, - so much more i have missed...

To sum up, its an amazing game, absolute 10/10, the negative comments are from stupid people who fail at installing a game, setting up a normal working PC, or simply suffer from hardware compatibility issues which runic games cannot be responsible for.

INSTANT BUY for any arpg, h&s game fan :)
  66. Oct 3, 2012
    I'll try and get through this review without mentioning that other game... Torchlight 2 is almost perfect and the best game in the genre. 10/10. Buy it now.
  67. Sep 22, 2012
    Not only this game has more depth and content than Diablo 3 in every way possible, but it also has mod tools and you can play offline singleplayer...For only 20 euros. One of the best games this year
  68. Sep 22, 2012
    ive enojyed this game more in the first 30 minutes than i did Diablo 3 up to the skeleton King in the guest pass.

Pros :>Offline mode (no need to worry about if your net goes down, your safe) :>Character personalisation that has consequences , so the game is replayable multiple times, not just once and youve seen it all like Diablo 3. :> Lagg free :> character
    classes and loot are perfectly balanced :> PVP straight away,, no need to wait for a year :> Pets are so much fun and fishing is a great little side thing to do, now theres more pets :> 30+ hours just in 1 play through....that is awesome. Seriously there isnt many cons.

Diablo 3 is cartoony anyway. So for those that want more Diablo 2 gameplay , offline mode and consequences for your actions, get this. If you like everything on a plate for you and boring replayability and loot whoring only, get Diablo 3. But this game trumps Diablo 3 in so many ways just in gameplay standards and its innovative in good ways not accessible, user friendly ways.. People **** that its cartoony, Diablo 3 is ALSO cartoony. One of the reasons i was PISSED off with Diablo 3 is because it was cartoony. Hopefully Runic games decides to make the next adult ARPG and this time make it realistic graphics like Diablo 2 and make an Adult ARPG that wows us. So far i dont see any faults in this game.
  69. Sep 22, 2012
    + its runic, + theres a demo (and its a decent one), + interesting classes, + great loot, + pets, + replayability, + no drm, + $20!! (THANK you for NOT jumping on the stupid $60 bandwagon), + its on steam, + moddable!, + no internet required... - ummmm.... I had to stop playing to go to work. This game focuses on FUN, not soaking players. Blizzard could learn a lot from this game and Guild Wars 2, which are going to eat Blizzard's lunch. Expand
  70. Sep 20, 2012
    Something the industry doesn't pull off often is a cheap game with way a ridiculous amount of bang for it's buck. For most of the pitfalls of Diablo 3, this fixes it.
  71. LMW
    Sep 20, 2012
    Amazingly-solid gameplay, great soundtrack, warm graphics, diverse classes, LOTS of areas to explore and monsters to slay! And all that for just $20!
  72. Oct 7, 2012
    Very enjoyable. I've not tried playing online yet, but I am really enjoying single player. My only complaint is that higher difficulty levels don't up the AI factor, instead just increase enemy stats and reduce your own level, essentially forcing players to not only do all side-quests, but reach a point of being underleveled and needing to farm experience.
  73. Sep 27, 2012
    This is seriously what diablo 3 should have looked like. The game is extremely polished, with very little bugs (despite the initial server problems that every online games have). Every little aspect that makes an awesome hack n slash game is in there. The only thing missing in my opinion is the aura mecanics from diablo 2 which enhanced the game a lot, a skill tree which makes you use the newer spells (I've been using the firebolt from level 1-42), wider areas for towns (everything is clustered in this game) and most of all a free for all PVP system and a forum/chat based trading system as seen as in the first two diablo titles. Expand
  74. Nov 5, 2012
    Overall Torchlight 2 expands over the first one and improves in pretty much in every way, despite some network issues it may have from time to time, players will surely enjoy the multiplayer experiences and if not they can dabble on the single player experience which like the multiplayer can be experienced through different difficulties. You have a pretty decent customization options for your characters and can easily build up any class in any possible way. The graphical details have improved from the game, the sound effects and music are kept the similar to the first game. Pretty much TL2 consists of all the good aspects of TL1 plus more. Expand
  75. Oct 2, 2012
    This game is BRILLIANT! It is not as visually spectacular as Diablo 3 but anyway it's amazing how much you can squeeze from a lower budget when u have a proper development team. I never got into Torchlight 1, it was too "generic" and cartoony for me but this time they got it right. There are 4 classes, I picked an engineer and I can see i could do like 5-6 different builds playing completely different styles. There is no respec so you need to think about your choices and even if you screw up you will know better next time - it was actually fun discovering the build possibilities on my own without any guides again. Just like in good old Diablo 2 days. Unfortunately, old school dungeon crawlers are not something I'm willing to invest time in but if you have a spare evening and don't know what to do - try T2. It's awesome. It has internet play and it costs £15 on steam. The only downside of this game is story - completely uninspiring and dull. I stopped reading quest text after first 30 minutes. That's why I give it a 9. Expand
  76. Dec 30, 2012
    This game is amazing, first of all I think it is much better then Diablo 3 for many reason, the main reason is because for the content it gives, the price is just a joke, only 20 dollars, (and less with the winter sales) comparing to the 60 dollars you need to pay for Diablo.

The game it self offers a lot of fun and gameplay time due to its length and enjoyful campaign which you can
    play with friends. each character has unique skills and accessories that makes them a lot different and valuable in combat against lots of bosses and tough enemies, normal difficulty itself is not that simple, imagine the harder ones...
    Graphics are quite good for the game and they suit it perfectly, no need of super DX11 with shadows and realistic lightinigs... this games provides everything you need without crashing your system.

The connection and login is simple, fast, no problems of any sort, I heard that blizzard had some issues in the past, and still has sometimes, this game is lag free and you can play without any sort of disconnection danger :D

In conclusion,
    If you liked diablo 3 or not, you should try this game definitely since it's cheap and excellent.

Good hunting :D
  77. Jul 21, 2013
    This is a really good game and you can get it on sale for $5 which is practically robbery. The graphics have been reworked since the initial release and the game looks much better. I definitely recommend this game it's a lot of fun and has high replay value. The only area this game suffers is multi player which is why Diablo III still fetches $40. If you don't care about that then this is the way to go. Expand
  78. Jan 27, 2013
    Diablo 3 done right. Very customization skill tree and equipment that actually make the game enjoyable. It is undoubtedly worth the low price it is going for.
  79. Sep 20, 2012
    I had a lot of fun playing this the whole night today, when it released at 7pm my time. The embermage is cool, the combat meaty and the loot just awesome. You also find a complete set pretty quick at the beginning, there is a starter set that you are supposed to have. I think thats kinda neat, more set parts do drop later, but at a much rarer rate. I do recommend that you play on Veteran or Elite though if you are a Hack and Slash Player. If you only want to enjoy a game without any difficulty, normal is your way to go. Expand
  80. Apr 3, 2013
    Overall the game is as fun as the first one if you like ARPGs. I particularly liked the fact that there were various traps throughout the game that made you a little uneasy but weren't truly deadly. The pet continues to be an enjoyable aspect although you never really get any strong attachment to it. It's really just a pack mule but being able to send it to town for supplies is pretty neat.

Unlike the last game this one has a few more problems than normal. The biggest issue I had was graphical glitches. This was especially common in the desert regions where it was trying to paint bushes. They'd just flicker. There were others though. The creatures had different names and skins but the same set appeared in every area so there wasn't a lot of variety.

The gear was lackluster after about the middle of the game. I wish there was more gear. I had hopes with the crafting to be able to get better gear but you always get worse based upon the algorithm used. It made crafting effectively useless. One particularly annoying issue is that you can hide levels of items from the screen (white, blue, etc) but they are still there. Oftentimes when you are clicking to pick up something you'll accidently pick up these hidden items instead. It sort of defeats the purpose of filtering. If I don't want to see certain items then I shouldn't be able to pick them up.

Perhaps the worst issue is with the champions and bosses. Pretty much every one of them has teleport. This means you'll be hitting on them and they'll just move elsewhere. This extends the battle but is more frustrating than challenging. It's almost like it is a crutch that was used way too often.

Finally I felt some of the later levels were really long for no reason other than to be really long. Especially in the final levels of the game they just went on and on for no real good reason.

Overall though I consider T2 to be a very good ARPG, especially compared to others in this genre. It is about as close to Diablo 2 as you can get (although I still think Titans Quest is better).
  81. Sep 23, 2012
    After finishing this game with embermage I can safely say this is definitely tthe best game in the genre at the moment. It may have taken a decade, but something has finally dethroned Diablo II (and who better than a team heavy on former Blizzard North employees). There is literally nothing bad to be said about this game. The music and artstyle are top-notch, gameplay is solid and the multiplayer has LAN. Expand
  82. Nov 2, 2012
    This game is amazing, is what all fans of diablo (yes i'm quoting diablo here cuz diablo3 was such a let down) been expecting. Is amazingly fun, and it actually has loot!! really polished and i really dig all about the game. There is so much to do and so much options to build your character that you'll never be bored.
    And for 20 bucks is a steal, and i'm sure there will be some steam sale
    around the corner soon. So no excuse to not buying it, if you are into rpg and you liked diablo 1 and 2 you definitely should get torchlight 2. Expand
  83. Sep 29, 2012
    The fore fathers of Diablo 1&2 (the Schaefer's) take Blizzard back to school and shows them how an ARPG is to be done and does it all for a third of the Diablo 3 price bringing us a superbly crafted, well designed ARPG with random surprises. Runic not only just improved everything they did in Torchlight, but also added full mod support, Steam Workshop and yup internet and LAN play, makes torchlight 2 a great, fun and rewarding ARPG experience. This is everything Diablo 3 should of been and never will be, Runic is showing us that building great game is more important than making cash cows. Expand
  84. Sep 21, 2012
    Fast paced, builds, gear, hell my first item drop was an upgrade. Fast leveling, amazing run speed and skills. About a billion times more fun and entertaining than any other arpg. Start on veteran! Far more challenging
  85. Oct 2, 2012
    I have spent only a few hours in the game but I'm very familiar with Diablo 1 and 2 so I can compare. I had this game preordered (and got Torchlight 1 for free) after I played demo of Torchlight 1 on Steam.
    I read some articles about development of this game (the first one) and you can clearly see that this game has been created with passion and by gamers for gamers - and money came sort
    of accidentally with it.
    Diablo III is the true opposite - capture most of the market get the money and run far far away. If you know what "pump and dump" means you get the idea...
    I can recommend this game to anyone who liked pre-Diablo III games.
  86. Sep 22, 2012
    This game is wonderful and perfect in every single way, I am truly amazed by how much the things improved after the first part, the multiplayer is the real thing to add. I'd like to "resolve" a few rather stupid comments I saw in reviews, which are: The game is not easy, don't be a weakling and play the game at Veteran or even harder, then come tell people that it's too easy. Also, no, Diablo 3 is absolutely pure crap compared to this title, and the negative reviews it received was from hardcore Diablo/Diablo 2 fans, while the brainless hipsters keep upvoting an obvious failure of a game. You can't even play D3 offline, for christ sakes, don't come talking it's better than Torchlight.
    Uninstall Diablo 3, and buy and play a game that wasn't built and developed purely for ripping people off for more and more money.
  87. Aug 15, 2013
    I don't usually give out 10s, even amazing games with tons of playtime and play value get a 9. But Torchlight II is unbelievably fun. I've played through the entire game and started a New Game Plus and it's still fun! I played the original FATE game (and it's predecessors) a long time ago, and I loved them so much I was ecstatic to hear about a modern remake, and they did not disappoint in any area! In fact, even though I hold FATE as a classic and precious to me because of personal memories, Torchlight II may even be better. Expand
  88. Dec 29, 2012
    Torchlight II is an amazing game. It lacks in some areas such as the boring story and the uninteresting characters, but this game wasn't built with a wonderful, story-driven experience in mind. Torchlight II is all about hacking and slashing, looting, levelling, exploring, upgrading skills and upgrading your current set of gear. All of these elements of the game are splendid, and the hack-and-slash gameplay can be a surprising challenge at times. The graphics aren't amazing, but the art style is really nice, and the game runs buttery-smooth on my PC. It's an overall very polished game which delivers on many aspects, and is very fun and addictive to play. Expand
  89. Sep 21, 2012
    A true loveletter to gamers and fans everywhere. There are no words to describe what an amazing achievement runic has here. Immensely satisfying to play, insanely addictive due to a superb loot system, actual randomised worlds and baby buttocks smooth gameplay. This 20 bucks work of art is polished to a mirrorshine and is without a doubt the new norm for ARPGs all around. Truly doesn't fail to bring back the glorious feeling of yorn ! And you can even experience that in proper single-player or in a LAN, the way it should be. Blizzard, take note. Expand
  90. Sep 21, 2012
    At least it is better in every way from the original and even better than that of D3. Each class has various different paths it can go because the skills allow for various types of builds. ie. Dual Wield or 2 Handed weapons or fist weapons etc. even some skills are for specific magic elements to increase the damage of ice, lightning etc and to increase their effectiveness. The greatest part is how random each game is and how each play through will be different from the last. Making this the most valuable game in a long time. What's more is once the Torchlight 2 editor drops then there will be a ton more content to be had especially if it is anywhere close to the original. Graphics are very stylized but amazing and fun to watch. The animation is really good as well. This is by far one of the most addictive action RPGs in a long time, since D2 or even the first Torchlight. Expand
  91. Jul 16, 2013
    Got this in the steam sale for £3.74 I believe: Early days yet but it feels every bit as good as the first and better in most. The early enemies so far are a little easy but as I said, early days. Best way to describe this game is as an isometric steampunk Borderlands with random generated dungeons, pets (can't beat a cat with a rucksack on) and fishing, also like Borderlands you have classes, level-ups, random generated loot weapons and can benefit from a co-op with a buddie or 5 (still fun solo). It also follows that game's tradition of favouring a different art style (some may be put off by this) but if you can get over that it works for it. If it lasts 20hrs+ (apparently it's 30hrs when played properly) then it's well work the full asking price in my opinion, much fun to be had here. Expand
  92. Sep 20, 2012
    Torchlight 2, like its predecessor, is a Diablo 3 clone. There's no significant innovation from TL1 or D3 that makes this game stand out. You're probably wondering why TL2 has been getting glowing reviews. Well, it's quite simple, it's addicting. The game mechanic itself is addicting. It's as simple as that.

What TL2 does so well is it was able to address what the fans want. Runic took
    the customer-centric approach in designing this game and it paid off. LAN support, multiplayer support, a $20 price tag and a level editor collaboratively makes this game shine.

I gave this game a 10 not because of the graphics (pretty but not great) but because its addicting and I know I will be playing this game for months. than If you buy this game, I'm pretty sure most of you will also.
  93. Sep 20, 2012
    This game is just amazing. All I was hoping for D3 to be. The only thing that bothers me a little bit is the very colorful and cartoonish graphics style. But at the end it's a wonderful world with much at least as much sense to details as D3. So only a matter of taste and not of quality.

So at least for me at the moment pretty much the most perfect arpg on the market. And if some
    shortcomings should rise in the the future, I'm sure the modding community will handle it :)

If you like PLAYING arpgs then consider to buy it. More than enough value for 20 bucks ....
  94. Nov 22, 2012
    After spending $59.99 for Diablo III, I was reluctant to get this game. I am very glad I bought it. This game is plain FUN. Lots of loot, varied critters, interesting looking levels, and plenty of nail-biting moments. The graphics are cutesy/simple and very pleasing to the eye. Bosses are fun and creative! Downsides? Very minor ones. The mechanics are simple - kill monsters, grab loot, sell it, and gain experience. Over and over. The storyline is rather thin, and frankly, is not necessary to play the game. I would recommend this highly! Expand
  95. Sep 28, 2012
    First of, i'm not going to compare it to Diablo. No. I'll add to all the things that people have already said; The game is amazing! It is a perfect example to a game that has less graphics, but more GAMEPLAY and content! The online experience is everything that i wanted from TL1. The H&S is just what you would want from H&S game: "More please!". Simple... The game is rich in content and upgrades from the-already-great TL1 experience; More awesome skills, many quests and dungeons! All-in-all, You will find yourself spending a lot of hours on this one, trust me! Expand
  96. Sep 21, 2012
    This game makes efforts at improving a genre which was in a bit of a lull. Playing the beta really excited me because of the nostalgic feel of ARPGs and obvious features that made classic ARPGs a hit. Torchlight 2 did not stop at the beta like some of these reviews suggest. I doubt they have played the new release or the beta for that matter. This game is fun, engaging, and challenging. Equipment is almost a limitless toolbox of tweaks for your character, and skill building provides its own enjoyment with skill tiers and multiple skill trees. Choose your skills, choose your equipment, and basically equip anything you'd like provided you have the stats. How amazing is that? The multiplayer in beta was awesome, and once it is available on the official release I know the game will be a favorite with my friends and local LAN. Very few games give the features and availability to play on slower systems. Torchlight remains stylishly impressive as far as visuals are concerned while maintaining support for older and underpowered PCs. $20? Massive compatibility for smooth game-play? LAN? These options and the options I have listed with respect to character progression are all reasons I give this game perfect marks. Expand
  97. Sep 22, 2012
    I recommend this game for everyone, who like hack and slash. There are not so many similar games, and only few are made with such love and quality. Pure action, tons of loot, good randomizer, amazing soundtrack, four different classes with several different builds, co-op, new game +... for 20$! If you are still reading this, instead of buying TL2, then you have no conscience or you just don't like ARPG. Expand
  98. Sep 24, 2012
    The Good: Loot System - endlessly rewarding with no auction house to spoil the fun. You want godly gear in Torchlight II? you play the game, simple as that. - Enemy Diversity - so many unique types of enemies and its not just champions that have crazy abilities, some regular enemies have very nasty racial abilities - Price - $20 for a game that easily rivals if not defeats Diablo III as an aRPG. also the soundtrack is free, just google it. - MUSIC - composed by Matt Uelman, who did the music for Diablo 1 & 2, giving this game's music a much more Diablo feel then Diablo III itself. - Technical - The requirements for this game are very low and the game runs extremely smoothly all the time, I have yet to have a single crash or even a single frame lag. - Offline Mode - Self explanatory, no dealing with lag, no logging in if you don't want to, and you can go online at any point and even host LAN parties, i haven't much seen this option let alone used it since the days of Diablo 2. - MODS - again, self explanatory, any dev that endorses modding gets points in my book. The Bad: - Interface - the interface isn't terrible, its just not really that great either, just average. - Story - This is the only real down point in this game, the story is just not interesting on any level, that cliche ridden abomination full of long winded speeches and annoying cut scenes called a story in Diablo III is actually more interesting than the story in Torchlight II. However, torchlight's story is deigned in a way that you can totally and completely ignore it if you so choose and be just fine, which is exactly what I am doing. I'm in act 3 in torchlight II, lvl 50, around 18 hours play time, and I couldn't tell you the first thing about the story. TL;DR? buy it, its only $20, I haven't regretted a single second or a single penny I've spent on this game. Expand
  99. Sep 25, 2012
    Completely addictive, with superb graphics and many many varying enemies and landscapes (no more boring - repetitive dungeon after dungeon gaming) !! Players don't have to limit their characters on one development tree anymore, but there can be combinations of spells and possibilities. Took the good old Torchlight some light years beyond. I really love it and I highly recommend it ( I haven't played Diablo 3 yet and I don't think I will either). Expand
  100. Sep 25, 2012
    It was kind of disappointing that I had to wait for a year to finally play this game, but it was totally worth pre-purchasing. I totally enjoyed it when it came out. Even though I couldn't play online at first, single player totally satisfied me. It is so much better than the first Torchlight game because Runic Games totally listened to critics about making this game coop and other features that others have requested. This game really feels complete. I totally love fast-paced games, and this game is totally fast-paced. The action fighting is where all the speed. Even like the cartoon-styled art. I know some people don't like it, but if the graphic style were to change completely versus the 1st game, then I don't think it would be worth calling it the 2nd Torchlight. I'm glad that Runic Games kept lots of originality in the art style. Buying this game for $20 is totally worth it. I held off from buying the "rival" game, Diablo 3, because it was too expensive for me... I did not hesitate to buy TL2 because of the great price it displayed. Thank you, Runic Games, for giving people many hours of endless fun. I'm almost at 1 whole day of playing this game and it's only been out for 5 days so far. So overall, I give this game a 10/10, because it feels so complete compared to the first game. Loot on! ;D Expand
  101. Sep 20, 2012
    This game is everything I want in a loot driven game. The only strike against it is it didn't launch on may 20th for when i got disgusted with Diablo 3.

I actually look forward to killing mobs in this game. Loot drops that actually can be used by my character. I don't spend more time grinding out gold to browse an auction house. I get to actually play a game, instead of an economy
    system.

And they managed to make a game this fantastic run smoothly on my laptop, which is pretty much garbage in 2012.

Torchlight 2 offers everything an action RPG fan wants: a huge campaign, variety of enemies, a rich system of quality loot, well-balanced and fresh classes with different build options, care-free and fun multiplayer modes. [November 2012]
  2. Dec 13, 2012
    Sure, it might not reinvent the wheel as built by Diablo II over a decade ago, but Runic deserves props for perfectly recreating the formula. Many others have tried to bring their own take on Diablo to the market-and failed. Runic didn't, which makes Torchlight II an essential purchase for anyone who loves to crawl through dungeons while scoring phat loot.
  3. Nov 25, 2012
    A slick action RPG with wit and charm, this is a genuine alternative to Diablo III. [Christmas 2012, p.93]