8.6

1. Sep 23, 2012
    Well, this is pretty much what I wanted Diablo 3 to be.
    Fun fast paced gameplay. Awesome loot system. Offline and online play. Interesting and versatile classes.
    Everything you could want from an ARPG can be found in TL2 and then some.

So, if Runic can deliver us this amazing game for 20$ why can't Blizzard make something remotely interesting for 60$?
  2. Sep 23, 2012
    The best Diablo-like since Diablo 2... More fun and lighter than Diablo 3. Really good small design ideas that keep the interest going, plus the beloved skill tree. Plus you can play single player.
    In a nutshell, it's a blizzard game designed by a blizzard team who just happen not to be at blizzard anymore :)
  3. Oct 1, 2012
    Excellent game, I played and adored torchlight but this. This is ~500% better than it's predecessor. Buying this game is a must (or torrent it but then buy). 10/10 without any doubt!
  4. Oct 9, 2012
    My thoughts about this game were crystalized while playing with my wife. Steam went down. Our LAN game kept right on working as if nothing had ever happened... unlike with Diablo 3, where a server hiccup gets you killed. I could stop there, but the game is more fun, the items are more enjoyable to find due to more interesting effects, building up a character is more fun (and permanent). Sure the graphics are simpler, but they work really well and for $20 they're definitely up to the task. The bottom line here is that this is what DIablo 3 should have been. Expand
  5. Oct 2, 2012
    This is a great game and everything I hoped for. I purchased the four pack and I play LAN games with my daughters and wife. We have had a packet of fun. My youngest is 6 and even she can play casual level - well worth it.
  6. Sep 20, 2012
    Wow, that's all I can say. This game just feels so right! From the art style to combat mechanics this game is 10/10. When it comes down to the $20 price point you can't go wrong with Torchlight 2!
  7. Oct 3, 2012
    Outstanding ARPG Dungeon Crawler. 20 Bucks is such a low price for the games worth. I would pay a full 60 for this. Having a blast. Def check this game out.
  8. Sep 30, 2012
    My Torchlight II review was deleted for some reason. It was rated very high as being a helpful review. I don't understand why it was deleted. Is Metacritic censoring people now? That's not a good way to get an accurate community opinion, but whatever, Metacritic is not the website that I thought it was.... Anyway, Im giving Torchlight II a 10 out of 10 because it is just plain fun, there is no other way to describe it. I don't understand how Blizzard took some 10 years to release a $60 game that failed so badly, while Runic took less than 3 years to release a $20 game that is universally loved. I feel sorry for all the people that were pulled into Diablo 3 by all the nostalgia only to find a real money pay to win auction house, and a constantly online DRM system designed to punish people that actually bought the game. Runic really likes their fans, and everything about Torchlight II shows that they really listen to them. Thank you Runic for showing the world how game companies are supposed to operate. Blizzard may have made more money by selling fake nostalgia, but Runic gained a lot more fans by selling a real product. Expand
  9. Oct 11, 2012
    Torchlight 2 is an action roleplaying game sequel to Torchlight, which does an exceptional job on expanding on the original game. On its own merit, price point, style, and overall quality, it is a highly enjoyable, ARPG with a vast amount of replay value and reeks of quality (even or especially at $20). For the past week I've been running through the game at different levels, hardcore mode, multiple characters etc, and what I've found is that the game plays great, has not crashed once, and delivers on improving what Runic started with Torchlight. I do enjoy the visual style and ambiance of the game (Wow comparisons aside, as Wow didn't invent a cartoony/streamlined style), although it may not be for everyone, it does come across well and consistent throughout the game, although most of the time the finer details of my character are lost anyway as I tend to zoom out to the farthest extent when playing. Runic has done a very good job with this game, listened to what the community wanted, and provided (more or less) exactly what they promised. TL 2 is not a revolutionary game, but then again, not every game has to be. It is fun, fast-paced, highly enjoyable, does not have any real money transactions (I do not like them) and brings the most important concept to the forefront: Its freakin fun. And I haven't even had a chance to play co-op yet. All in all this game has the potential to be one of the games you look back on as a classic, as Runic has created a game with little or no caveats for the player, just pure fun. The only real criticism I have is of the voice acting, which runs the gamut from fair to bland, and the story itself. It's not that its bad in any form, but it doesn't really catch you in the way games like Mass Effect do. Thankfully, the game is pretty straightforward with the telling of the story and doesn't seem to dwell unnecessarily on needless dialogue, leaving you more time to focus on the fighting/looting/leveling cycle, while still getting the overall gist of the story. To its credit, it does have some twists to it, which does add some interest, although it won't blow you out of the water. I anticipate that once the mod community gets their creative hands on this game, depending on how extensive the mod tools are, you will be able to change the game in ways that only people who play Oblivion/Morrowind/etc on the PC will know. One final note: the music...is...amazing. That's all that needs to be said other then the fact that I highly recommend this game Expand
  10. Oct 10, 2012
    I didn't play TL1 to any great extent. In fact, it was quite boring and repetetive. I kept an eye on Runic's plans for TL2 as they looked to be quite ambitious in comparison to the first entry of this series. I didn't take part in any beta events, and I bought the game on day one of release.........................I think the main point of focus when looking at TL2 is it's price vs product. For £15 it offers up a well polished game. Many will compare it to Diablo 3, which for my money, Blizzard failed to deliver anything like what I'd hoped, and if you are compelled to compare the two, then the first port of call is on loot. D3 absolutely failed on loot throughout it's entirety, and TL2 is the complete opposite. Plenty of loot drops that are relevant to your level and character...................Graphically TL2 has a less realistic feel to it, and is, strangely enough more comparable with Warcraft games. It is probably a required taste, but you soon lose yourself inside the game's various areas and dungeons......................As far as gameplay is concerned, well it's pretty standard fare for this genre, and I'd say gamers of any level can easily pick it up and play. As far as combat goes, it's pretty simple, and is probably where it lets itself down - but only slightly. Pretty much everything i've encountered so far on my Engineer is simply a case of spamming and running, but then again, I'm only about 10 hours or so into the game. Maybe later on, or on a more difficult setting everything might get ramped up - or might require some thought into how to defeat the bosses..................Finally, co-op play. For a game to include this at this price is quite rare, and a definate plus for Runic games' reputation. I've only tried it a couple of times, but it worked fine for me, and when you think back to only last year with Dungeon Siege 3 - which was a full priced supposed AAA title, where you had to stay in a limited area on the same screen as your compadres, how Runic have implemented it how they have on such a small budget shoud really make some developers sit back and rethink there approach as to what gamers want. If you deliver cr*p, then gamers will remember and speak with their wallets next time around - ie: they won't buy....................................So, TL:DR - TL2 is a welcome addition in the genre, something that I think I could put alongside Titan Quest as a winner in this genre....... Buy it - you won't be disappointed. Expand
  11. Sep 20, 2012
    For 20 bucks you just cant beat this game. What it lacks in production quality in terms of art, animation, story, and voice overs, it makes up for in item variety, item complexity, a sense of power, and overall action RPG fun!
  12. Sep 21, 2012
    Basically this game does many things right which the 2nd blockbuster successor of that game which this genre owes existence has failed to deliver on many levels. Even though you will inevitably find some quirks they are not going to become a fundamental game-stopper. It runs smoothly in single-player mode, there is useful loot to be found without having to give a jealous glance at some item shop your game is balanced around, there is no need to bore yourself through three rounds of easy mode before finally meeting a challenge as you can pick your appropriate difficulty mode from start, there's modding support and lastly and most importantly the game sticks to the guns and doesn't try to marry with MMO mechanics. What this means is also that there are no silly balancing efforts as well as other deterrents not adding to gameplay. Matt Uelmen's soundtrack adds perfectly well to the atmosphere, the sound is crispy and if you don't mind comic-style graphics and nonsensical story which does at least not try to take itself as serious and impose itself on the player then you can't go wrong with this game. Expand
  13. Sep 21, 2012
    It's just easy to say: That should have been in Diablo 3. All we loved in Diablo 2 is here in this game. Sure, graphics are more or less the same like in Torchlight 1, but who cares? Everybody, and i mean: Really everybody should be able to run this masterpiece. You don't need an hyper-pc to play, no. Runic made it playable for us all.

Just a quick summary: Runic aka ex Blizzard North:
    You did all right! Sorry, can't write more - have to do some quests & hunting for better loot. Expand
  14. Apr 25, 2013
    Remember the jump Assassin’s Creed made from 1 to 2? That’s what Torchlight 2 feels like. Runic Games knocked Torchlight 2 out of the park. It has phenomenal gameplay, and characters are more customizable than ever with 4 classes to choose from, each of which has a male and female variation. There are almost a dozen unique pets to choose from, and now play a much more important role than they did in Torchlight 1. The controls are easily customizable to your convenience and technical issues are incredibly scarce. The graphics engine is not demanding on the CPU or GPU, but still looks great. The introduction of the new game plus feature brings fantastic replay value to Torchlight 2. Add that to the mapworks feature, and you’ll have countless hours to spend after completing the game. In addition, the new co-op feature adds a fantastic multiplayer experience to the game. Players can’t by hoard or steal any loot with Torchlight 2’s great anti-cheating features. This is a fantastic investment of both your time and money. If you found Torchlight 1 fun at all, then Torchlight 2 will blow your mind. Expand
  15. Sep 24, 2012
    Lets get the obvious first, Torchlight II is the greatest action RPG of all time and maybe the best game ever made. Do not mind the Diablo fanboy reviews seen here on Metacritic, they cannot stand that 20$ game developed by few guys at Runic could deliver a masterpiece like Torchlight II. So, what exactly is so good in Torchlight 2, well the answer would be everything. The gameplay is perfect, the balance is perfect, the pace is perfect. The game simply is perfect. Expand
  16. Sep 25, 2012
    This is a shining example of what a sequel should be: improvement on everything that was wrong with the first game. This is basically the type of game we should've had in Diablo 3. Also remember that while respec options are limited, they'll just be modded in ASAP anyway,.
  17. Sep 22, 2012
    20 dollars for a game that will provide hundreds of hours of fun. Sounds like a good deal to me. They took everything that was great in D2 and Torchlight and added to it. If only D3 would have done this. Great job Runic! ignore other reviews saying "this game is too easy." I've been playing on ELITE with a berserker and it is very hard.
  18. Sep 24, 2012
    I would actually give this game an 8.5, but I'll round up cause I like it so much. Story is lacking, but since when has anybody ever played an action-rpg/ lootfest for its story? I have only two complaints. The first is that movement is poorly done. It is nice being able to move and attack with one hand, but it's infuriating as hell when I'm trying to run away from *insert unnaturaly big and scary monster here* and I accidently click on a minion, causing me to stop and attack. Shift makes your character stay still no matter what, and control makes your character move only when a target is highlighted. They need a button to overide attacking completely so I can move without worry of accidentally attacking. My second complaint are the bosses. This may just be a personal preference, but my view is that if a boss needs minions to fight me, then he wasn't cool enough to be in the game. Every boss in this game is surrounded by minons. It pisses me off to no end when I see a vicious looking boss and think "Oh man, this guy is going to rock my **** I wonder what his special power is... Oh he runs away and calls for help. That's cool..." Almost every boss in this game does that. Come to think of it, there's just kind of a lacking of boss creativity. Expand
  19. Sep 22, 2012
    This game is why we love Runic.. (release day the servers were swamped and people flip out over nothing) It truly does Torchlight justice.. they took everything that was awesome and added the things all the fans asked for (coop/multi being one) making it what has to be the best game i purchased this year hands down. Runic shasres the love and not the greed for 20 bucks you simply cannot beat it.
    TY Runic.. and to any fans of Torchlight or even Fate.. if you have'nt purchased it yet your missing an award winning rpg that has nailed it.
  20. Sep 27, 2012
    It's a sequel, but it is a proper sequel. More characters, more animals, more of an open world, more stats, more abilities... more more more. There is nothing really new or inventive about the game, it is just a great sequel for Torchlight. If you liked Torchlight you will like this.
  21. Sep 21, 2012
    A fabulous game made by (as said by Jay Wilson of Diablo3 / blizzard) a loser who made Diablo 1 and 2. Thanks you Runic games it's how a hack n slash must be. Not like that Big failure named Diablo 3. Hey Jay Wilson just phone Runic game for learning how to make a good hack n slash thanks.
  22. Sep 20, 2012
    Torchlight 2 is an excellent game, well worth your money and time. I really cannot say enough good things about this game. The user interface is very clean, easy to read, and aesthetically pleasing to me. The graphics aren't cutting edge, but are very tastefully done, with a lot of charm and character. Performance is great and the game runs very smooth on my modest desktop. There is a TON of loot, but not just any loot: GOOD loot; meaning that there is a good mixture of hefty decisions on what to use. The different weapon types all have their own feel to them. Everything feels "just right". Everything feels different and the "crunch" is there when killing monsters. The combat is perfect. I have never been more satisfied with combat. This game captures that perfect feeling you get when destroying things. It's awesome. The skill trees are much better done here than in the first Torchlight game, in my opinion. I haven't seen one skill shared between any of the 4 classes. There are plenty of skills to choose from when levelling up, and there are plenty of builds you can have in each class. It gives the player the freedom to have unconventional builds, and gives them plenty of tough choices without being overwhelming. Runic absolutely nailed it. Variety is handed out to the player like candy. There are a lot of different monster types, tons of new areas, both the overworld and dungeons, and a lot of armor and weapon models. The story is a little on the weak side, but the pacing is spot on. It picks up where the first Torchlight left off, and while weak, is more than adequate to give purpose on why you're making baddies go splat. You are not locked into the easier difficulty settings when starting a new character. If you want to start off on the hardest difficulty, you can. There is offline singleplayer, you can host or join internet games as well as lan games. I can honestly say that there is nothing about this game that irks me. It's the ARPG I feel most people have been waiting to get their hands on for what seems like an eternity. All of this at a price point that is unbelievable to me. I could go on and on. This game is an incredible value. Pick this up, you will not regret it one bit. Expand
  23. Oct 6, 2012
    Massively, massively fun. If the DRM--oops, 'always online feature' and RMAH of D3 pissed you off as much as they did me, give Torchlight 2 a shot. I love the loot drops--plentiful, fun, and with points that are USEFUL FOR MY CLASS, hint hint Blizz--and the LAN. No more dying to mobs offscreen because Blizz can't keep latency on their end working for my benefit. It's nice to be able to pick your gender (can't help it, got to be able to play as a girl or I get bummed out) and my husband and I are playing the **** out of this. It's everything that D3 should have been but wasn't. Lots of hidden rooms, portal beasts opening up new maps and all kinds of goodies. Plus, you can mod it. Need I say more? This game will be around for a long time. Good job, Runic. For 19.99 you can't go wrong with this one. Just don't let EA or Activision buy you out. Expand
  24. Sep 21, 2012
    Torchlight 2 sharpens the hack-and-slash genre to a fine point that sticks right in the greedy eyeball of Blizzard execs. A truly fun and addictive game. Good graphics, great soundtrack, original atmosphere -- once you get the game you'll only wish you had more time to play it. This game is on par in almost every respect with Diablo 3 and is 1/3 the cost. Vote with your wallets, folks.
  25. Sep 24, 2012
    This is an amazing game. It is astounding how talented the Runic Games team is. Even without Blizzards money they managed to create such a great game. I can not fault it in any way. I am not saying it is the perfect game, it's just so quite and solid as far as gameplay goes that you forget to look for flaws. I will be giving this game a 10 out of 10. It deserves it.
  26. Sep 20, 2012
    This game is a winner. The graphics are charming, combat is fluid and well paced, there are tons of random side-quests to do and small events to discover while smashing through monsters. Character development is diverse and feels meaningful, and the frequent drops of good loot just make you want to play on and on.

This game is everything that Torchlight 1 was and more. For only 20 bucks!
  27. Sep 20, 2012
    This right here? This is what we were expecting from diablo 3. It's everything you loved from the first with sugar on top. No always online drm lots of options graphically and easy to switch between *LAN* (more games should do this, this one sports lan people!) internet and single player. Did I mention there's no always online drm? It bears repeating. If you like diablo 1/2 and the first torchlight and similar top down hack and slash rpgs you owe it to yourself to get this game. Expand
  28. Sep 20, 2012
    There isn't much to say here. Torchlight 2 is a true successor to the ARPG genre and warrants every piece of good criticism out there. The graphics are not in my taste but I'd rather spend hours upon hours playing this than some stripped down game that moves the ARPG backwards. Great job Runic Games I look forward to playing this title in the coming future.
  29. Sep 20, 2012
    (Sorry for my bad english)
    The real spiritual successor of the Diablo saga. If you can see through the cartoon graphics you can see a deep game with an amazing gameplay that includes everything that Diablo III should had. Maybe the main campaign can look a little short but in two weeks we'll have the TorchED, the Mod Tool that will work with the Steam Workshop, that will bring a long life
    to the game. Hail to the new ARPG King! Expand
  30. Sep 26, 2012
    What a game. For $20 you cant go wrong. You will probably be playing this for months if not year. 4 different class you can experiment with. You get a choice of where to put your stat points. You get to play with up to 6 people.

Torchlight 2 offers everything an action RPG fan wants: a huge campaign, variety of enemies, a rich system of quality loot, well-balanced and fresh classes with different build options, care-free and fun multiplayer modes. [November 2012]
  2. Dec 13, 2012
    Sure, it might not reinvent the wheel as built by Diablo II over a decade ago, but Runic deserves props for perfectly recreating the formula. Many others have tried to bring their own take on Diablo to the market-and failed. Runic didn't, which makes Torchlight II an essential purchase for anyone who loves to crawl through dungeons while scoring phat loot.
  3. Nov 25, 2012
    A slick action RPG with wit and charm, this is a genuine alternative to Diablo III. [Christmas 2012, p.93]