8.6

1. Sep 25, 2012
    Visuals: TL2 doesn't focus much on visual appeal. This is a sword, this is a gun, these are monsters. It has an almost cartoony look to it but the gear still looks badass enough so that it doesn't get annoying. As far as the skills are concerned i think they both are tied. They have different styles but TL2 is more pleasing to the eye. It isn't bright to the point that it is annoying butVisuals: TL2 doesn't focus much on visual appeal. This is a sword, this is a gun, these are monsters. It has an almost cartoony look to it but the gear still looks badass enough so that it doesn't get annoying. As far as the skills are concerned i think they both are tied. They have different styles but TL2 is more pleasing to the eye. It isn't bright to the point that it is annoying but enough so you can clearly tell what everything is and the action doesn't blur your vision to the point that everything kind of melts together. (as it feels like it does sometimes in D3). As far as physics are concerned Diablo 3 definately wins. Crumbling stone, Monster gibs are very satisfying, and the environments almost falling apart in some areas really adds immersion to the gameplay. The models in TL2 look like they had a little more love put into them. The swords aren't flat and dont look paper thin, And the wide variety of ranged weapons for mostly one class really impressed me.
    Monsters: The monsters in diablo felt generic, uninteresting, and just plain bland most of the time. Mostly borrowing from the previous games and adding a few from other games it really didn't bring any surprises. Even the bosses felt kind of boring with the butcher being the generic bad guy from about 10-20 different video games including previous diablo games. The champions in TL2 have been greatly improved from the first one but after playing d3 for so long they felt like pushovers. While some people may have been disappointed with how simplistic the champion design is i was actually thankful i didnt have to spend 30mins-1hour fighting one champion because my gear wasn't godly at the time. I was also thankful there were no invuln minions, reflect damage, mortars, desc, or the ice bombs. Because it meant i didnt have to hop around the map trying to sneak a shot in time from time while trying not to get killed in 1-2 hits. Overall TL2's champions were slightly not challenging enough (i played on veteran) and D3 was too unforgiving. Gear: Here is where TL2 truly shines. Gear is plentiful, and gear of all rarities are useful with uniques being rare enough and with good enough affixes that it would immediately replace the rare gear you had before without making you feel like you NEEDED it. It took me 3 uniques until i got one that i could actually use so i stuck the others in my shared stash for alts and didn't find myself disappointed that i didn't get more. The rare and uncommon drops had good enough affixes, and all useful for my class so i didn't mind not getting godly gear. In diablo 3 had i gotten gear with strength or intelligence (focus in tl2) i would have been pissed and vendored that !@#$, but in TL2 some strength or focus is actually useful for my mostly Dexterity class. They balanced the skills so that every class can benefit from bonuses in each of the 4 stats. And if you dont like certain affixes on your gear you can pay some gold and get them removed via enchanter, and also add in more enchantments depending on how good the enchanter is. This allows for great customization in gear and makes almost every rare or higher drop worth keeping. In diablo 3 getting gear feels like cycling through garbage for hours or even days to find 1 hidden diamond.
    I've seen people complain about TL2 interface but honestly i found it to be much simpler and easier to understand than D3. It has no hidden modifiers, any additional information you want to know can be found in your arcane statistics (J). Plus you can load your pet up with any loot you dont want and he will go to town and sell it for you so you can spend more time actually playing the game.
    Basically if you love to grind and spend hours upon hours praying to find something godly, or even worth putting on the AH; then play D3. If you like to play ARPGs and kill monsters, get lots of loot, and have a ton of fun; then play TL2
  2. Sep 23, 2012
    I haven't had this much from with an ARPG since Diablo 2. The atmosphere and setting are both bang on, the gameplay (targeting enemies, camera, mechanics, etc.) are all very well done. The only fault I can find in this game is that the story isn't memorable. Aside from that, this game is perfection.
  3. Sep 26, 2012
    It feels more like a journey than just a grind. While not actually playing, time goes into your character build instead of window shopping in an overpriced auction house. Itemization is on point and can be tinkered with to make items fit your build even more. The game design reminds me of when I played through Warcraft 3 one player (had no net at the time) and felt that even though it wasIt feels more like a journey than just a grind. While not actually playing, time goes into your character build instead of window shopping in an overpriced auction house. Itemization is on point and can be tinkered with to make items fit your build even more. The game design reminds me of when I played through Warcraft 3 one player (had no net at the time) and felt that even though it was cartoonish, it still felt crisp and stylish. I didn't get too into Diablo 2 like other friends had in the past, and Diablo 3 was supposed to be my initiation into the genre. The whole time we were playing Diablo 3 I heard that it was nothing like Diablo 2 so I was itching to get that experience under my belt. I could have gone back and picked up Diablo 2, but this game is definitely fitting the bill! Expand
  4. Sep 26, 2012
    This is the game we have all dreamed during these years to succeed Diablo 2. In the future it will be seen as a true legend, a classic, on the same level as Half-Life, Kotor 1, Civilization 1 and Grim Fandango.
  5. Sep 25, 2012
    Torchlight newgame+ in every way.
    They have taken what worked in the first game (and the teams previous games, yes this is brought to you by team Diablo, by that I am talking about they guys that WROTE the first games, as TB says you can't clone your own game) and dumped what didn't work.
    Torchlight newgame+ in every way.
    Better in just about every way, supports LAN and single player modes. That is to say you don't need to be online to solo your own game!
  6. Sep 23, 2012
    Well, this is pretty much what I wanted Diablo 3 to be.
    Fun fast paced gameplay. Awesome loot system. Offline and online play. Interesting and versatile classes.
    Everything you could want from an ARPG can be found in TL2 and then some.

So, if Runic can deliver us this amazing game for 20$ why can't Blizzard make something remotely interesting for 60$?
  7. Sep 26, 2012
    What a game. For $20 you cant go wrong. You will probably be playing this for months if not year. 4 different class you can experiment with. You get a choice of where to put your stat points. You get to play with up to 6 people.
  8. Sep 21, 2012
    Basically this game does many things right which the 2nd blockbuster successor of that game which this genre owes existence has failed to deliver on many levels. Even though you will inevitably find some quirks they are not going to become a fundamental game-stopper. It runs smoothly in single-player mode, there is useful loot to be found without having to give a jealous glance at someBasically this game does many things right which the 2nd blockbuster successor of that game which this genre owes existence has failed to deliver on many levels. Even though you will inevitably find some quirks they are not going to become a fundamental game-stopper. It runs smoothly in single-player mode, there is useful loot to be found without having to give a jealous glance at some item shop your game is balanced around, there is no need to bore yourself through three rounds of easy mode before finally meeting a challenge as you can pick your appropriate difficulty mode from start, there's modding support and lastly and most importantly the game sticks to the guns and doesn't try to marry with MMO mechanics. What this means is also that there are no silly balancing efforts as well as other deterrents not adding to gameplay. Matt Uelmen's soundtrack adds perfectly well to the atmosphere, the sound is crispy and if you don't mind comic-style graphics and nonsensical story which does at least not try to take itself as serious and impose itself on the player then you can't go wrong with this game. Expand
  9. Sep 26, 2012
    Frankly, I don't usually review games that much, however I am an avid gamer, and with that I would definitely say that Torchlight 2 deserves a 10. Based on my experience on playing different games, I could say that TL2 truly shines among the lot. TL2 offers a good bit of variety to the fray (pleasant lighting, varying creatures, overall flow of the game), oftentimes I feel immersed as IFrankly, I don't usually review games that much, however I am an avid gamer, and with that I would definitely say that Torchlight 2 deserves a 10. Based on my experience on playing different games, I could say that TL2 truly shines among the lot. TL2 offers a good bit of variety to the fray (pleasant lighting, varying creatures, overall flow of the game), oftentimes I feel immersed as I grind through one single boss fight, not minding how long it took to beat, rather enjoying ever moment trying to do so. The developers have really taken the time and effort on "listening" to what its players had to say, and I am thankful towards this decision that they've made. I believe the TL series still has so much untapped potential, and I'm eager to find out what improvements the developers still have in mind, if any. Expand
  10. Sep 21, 2012
    Torchlight 2 has finally arrived and we can put the Torchlight 2 versus Diablo 3 debate to rest... The verdict? Torchlight 2 wins hands-down!

Torchlight 2 is wonderful and deserves much praise, especially for only costing $20. One would expect Diablo 3 to be three times the game as Torchlight 2 for the asking price but that isn't the case, at all. If anything, Diablo 3 could learn quite a bit from Torchlight 2 (such as the awesome loot progression, offline play availability, LAN and mod support).

Torchlight 2 has been an entirely bug-free experience for me thus far (unlike Diablo 3's launch-- which was one of the worst I've ever experienced despite probably having one-thousand times the budget of Torchlight 2) and the game plays amazingly smooth. The battles can be epic (unlike Diablo 3's battles which usually amounted to rock, paper, scissors excercises of frustration depending on RNG) and choices actually matter.

If I had to make a complaint, I'd say Torchlight 2's story is fairly weak (Diablo 3's was as well-- laughably so, actually). About the only thing I can imagine that Diablo 3 has over Torchlight 2 that I noticed was the destructible environments. The art style is kind of a matter of preference I've found. I personally like Torchlight 2's style but can understand if some people don't (probably the same people who would willing bypass a great game like Borderlands 2 because it doesn't look like Battlefield 3-- aka, "their loss").

I would fully recommend Torchlight 2 to anyone that loves ARPG's and even if you're kind of on the edge or not sure if you'd like them or not, Torchlight 2 is probably the best, contemporary example of how one should be.
  11. Sep 21, 2012
    I'm just a simple factory worker guy, I play games as my escape, I'm sure you do too.

This game has done a lot for me. It has restored my faith in the game developer, it has provided entertainment, and it has provided a chance for some 'good times' with friends. If I could put it more simply, I'd say this is a D3 killer, but no one would believe me. I agree, people will view this

I agree, people will view this game harshly simply because they are obsessed with a specific franchise or brand. Please keep that in mind.

If you are looking for something that's fun, this is it. 4 pack this puppy and play with friends. Gift giving season is coming!
  12. Sep 21, 2012
    This is truly a wonderful game. I am actually having fun playing this versus the endless grind and rigid, ultra simplistic game that is D3. Ton's of content and a true skill point system with none of the DRM Crap and RMAH. Thanks Runic for providing a game versus a new way to monetize gaming.
  13. Sep 21, 2012
    This game makes efforts at improving a genre which was in a bit of a lull. Playing the beta really excited me because of the nostalgic feel of ARPGs and obvious features that made classic ARPGs a hit. Torchlight 2 did not stop at the beta like some of these reviews suggest. I doubt they have played the new release or the beta for that matter. This game is fun, engaging, andThis game makes efforts at improving a genre which was in a bit of a lull. Playing the beta really excited me because of the nostalgic feel of ARPGs and obvious features that made classic ARPGs a hit. Torchlight 2 did not stop at the beta like some of these reviews suggest. I doubt they have played the new release or the beta for that matter. This game is fun, engaging, and challenging. Equipment is almost a limitless toolbox of tweaks for your character, and skill building provides its own enjoyment with skill tiers and multiple skill trees. Choose your skills, choose your equipment, and basically equip anything you'd like provided you have the stats. How amazing is that? The multiplayer in beta was awesome, and once it is available on the official release I know the game will be a favorite with my friends and local LAN. Very few games give the features and availability to play on slower systems. Torchlight remains stylishly impressive as far as visuals are concerned while maintaining support for older and underpowered PCs. $20? Massive compatibility for smooth game-play? LAN? These options and the options I have listed with respect to character progression are all reasons I give this game perfect marks. Expand
  14. Sep 20, 2012
    After playing Diablo 3 for four plus months, I was surprised a game for $20 could offer me so much more for my money. I'm thrilled with Torchlight II's classes, skill trees, player choices from character creation to stat allocation, and the gargantuan open world. The game is absolutely huge, has tons and tons of content, and can be played offline so no more lag deaths, or lag period.After playing Diablo 3 for four plus months, I was surprised a game for $20 could offer me so much more for my money. I'm thrilled with Torchlight II's classes, skill trees, player choices from character creation to stat allocation, and the gargantuan open world. The game is absolutely huge, has tons and tons of content, and can be played offline so no more lag deaths, or lag period. Graphics are beautiful and the amount of things to do are just shocking for such a modest price-point. Not to mention all the great features from pets to multi-player to extra difficulties to lv 100!! I can pay my deepest respect by stating one key fact, "I will be playing this game for a great portion of my foreseeable future." Expand
  15. Sep 23, 2012
    Diablo 3 is better than TL 2? No !! this game better than D3. This is the one of the best A-RPG, I love offline game play also I can customize my character stats. Nice graphic, sound, music, dungeon system and many more. If you looking for continuation of Diablo 2 ? this game perfect for you, believe me.
  16. Sep 20, 2012
    The best action RPG since Diablo 2! Made by the original developers of Diablo. This game is fantastic. Great loot tables, skill trees, attribute points, customization, fantastic music, and best of all.....OFFLINE MODE. Runic knows how to make good games and how to listen to its fan base. Torchlight 2 is obviously made by gamers who love gaming. Buy it, play it, love it.
  17. Sep 21, 2012
    The progression of loot in this game is fantastic and blowing me away. By level 10 I was already completing a useful 3 piece set bonus, had a unique weapon that gained augments by killing spiders, and had actual unique useful items. Your characters can all be unique, even if they are the same class. I already made a hunter focused berserker, and now I can't wait to re-make anotherThe progression of loot in this game is fantastic and blowing me away. By level 10 I was already completing a useful 3 piece set bonus, had a unique weapon that gained augments by killing spiders, and had actual unique useful items. Your characters can all be unique, even if they are the same class. I already made a hunter focused berserker, and now I can't wait to re-make another berserker to focus in the ice damage tree. Your decisions also hold weight, if you end up with a terrible build then you definitely won't be surviving in the harder difficulties. I love the fact that I can't just re-spec and be fine and dandy again. I feel more driven to have my character succeed because it was my own unique build and unique attributed stats, so my characters feel more personal. Pet system = amazing
    As many others have mentioned, the soundtrack is fantastic and the visuals look great. The fact that this game is only $20 makes me feel like I'm robbing Runic of such a great piece of work. Any hack n' slash fan will enjoy this game immensely.
  18. Sep 20, 2012
    ARPG perfection. This game is amazing. Play it! It's $20! Everything about this game is fantastic: graphics, music, gameplay, and story is pretty tight so far. This might be my favorite game of all-time.
  19. Sep 20, 2012
    Simply a great game, the randomization of chunks and areas, along with the various character builds make for great re-playability, and of course once the mod community gets in full force with the Dev tools we will truly have an expansive and unique in game experience
  20. Sep 23, 2012
    The best Diablo-like since Diablo 2... More fun and lighter than Diablo 3. Really good small design ideas that keep the interest going, plus the beloved skill tree. Plus you can play single player.
    In a nutshell, it's a blizzard game designed by a blizzard team who just happen not to be at blizzard anymore :)
  21. Sep 20, 2012
    This game is a winner. The graphics are charming, combat is fluid and well paced, there are tons of random side-quests to do and small events to discover while smashing through monsters. Character development is diverse and feels meaningful, and the frequent drops of good loot just make you want to play on and on.

This game is everything that Torchlight 1 was and more. For only 20 bucks!
  22. Sep 20, 2012
    Finally the Torch has come back!!!!Much better than imagination, every thing that diablo failed to deliver is here in torchlight.Great Game play ,Superior Graphics, Awesome music, Improved Skills, Massive Loot,Greater builds, Multiplier support, Moding and a long lasting game play what else did a PC gamer wants now.In my opinion Torchlight 2 Deserve an 11/10 for there extra ordinaryFinally the Torch has come back!!!!Much better than imagination, every thing that diablo failed to deliver is here in torchlight.Great Game play ,Superior Graphics, Awesome music, Improved Skills, Massive Loot,Greater builds, Multiplier support, Moding and a long lasting game play what else did a PC gamer wants now.In my opinion Torchlight 2 Deserve an 11/10 for there extra ordinary great work.the new King of Rpg has Arrive All hail Torchlight 2. Expand
  23. Sep 21, 2012
    This game really defines what I'd been waiting for in a ARPG since the days of (sorry, I have to say it) Diablo II. Great, detailed and rich world, awesome soundtrack and exquisite gameplay. Watching mobs explode as you attack is as satisfying as it can get. Even if the loot mechanics are a little overwhelming, this game is still, as of yet, the last bastion of PC Gaming's ARPGs.
  24. Sep 20, 2012
    Such a good game. I played diablo 2-3, dungeon siege 1-3, and torchlight. And i can safely say this beats all of them. It has that constant feel like eveyrthing is so unique and some awesome equipment is gonna come up your next fight. And its great it still has all the skills to get and level up and the animations for everything are awesome. The graphics are alot more polished overSuch a good game. I played diablo 2-3, dungeon siege 1-3, and torchlight. And i can safely say this beats all of them. It has that constant feel like eveyrthing is so unique and some awesome equipment is gonna come up your next fight. And its great it still has all the skills to get and level up and the animations for everything are awesome. The graphics are alot more polished over torchlight 1 but still give the same feel. The game has a never ending variety to monsters. You never feel like you are ever fighting the same species of creature for too long. The environments are great. And i can't explain how much i love the random events and finds. One second you kill a creature and teleported to a new realm where you get a challenge like defending a crystal from hordes of goblins or just roaming the world and you come across a bandit camp holding prisoners and if you free the prisoners they give you a chocie of three items to pick from which are always good. Then there are some secret actions you can do but i wont reveal that aspect of the game. So overall the game is by far the best hack and slash loot em up game out right now and probably for a long time. I haven't had the full experience with spells and magic as im more of a grab a hammer and smahs everytihng kinda player but from the looks of it it looks pretty sweet. And i also haven't tried co-op, but i mean if im having this much fun alone, having a buddy or two would just make it unreal. Final conclusion: Get the game, its 20 bucks. What do you have to lose? Expand
  25. Sep 21, 2012
    At least it is better in every way from the original and even better than that of D3. Each class has various different paths it can go because the skills allow for various types of builds. ie. Dual Wield or 2 Handed weapons or fist weapons etc. even some skills are for specific magic elements to increase the damage of ice, lightning etc and to increase their effectiveness. The greatestAt least it is better in every way from the original and even better than that of D3. Each class has various different paths it can go because the skills allow for various types of builds. ie. Dual Wield or 2 Handed weapons or fist weapons etc. even some skills are for specific magic elements to increase the damage of ice, lightning etc and to increase their effectiveness. The greatest part is how random each game is and how each play through will be different from the last. Making this the most valuable game in a long time. What's more is once the Torchlight 2 editor drops then there will be a ton more content to be had especially if it is anywhere close to the original. Graphics are very stylized but amazing and fun to watch. The animation is really good as well. This is by far one of the most addictive action RPGs in a long time, since D2 or even the first Torchlight. Expand
  26. Sep 20, 2012
    This is a very great game. I love the gameplay, it really feels like diablo 2. Multiplayer is even better than diablo 2. Lots of contents ( quests, monsters,...). It's a very great deal for 20$.
  27. Sep 20, 2012
    LOVE IT! Worth it since its only $20!! Don't bother reading all the other negative reviews, there just a bunch of trolls who are mad that torchlight 2 is better then Diablo 3 in every way.
  28. Sep 20, 2012
    A true spiritual successor to Diablo 2, Torchlight 2 has taken the classic ARPG formula and not only improved but innovated as well. Overall an amazing game that has MASSIVELY improved on the first one. For $20 this is a game that is a DEFINITE BUY. PERFECT DUNGEON CRAWL

With four different classes at your disposal and several pets to choose from, the replayability of this game is quite amazing. Each class has its own set spells and unlike Torchlight 1, the classes don't share any skills. What does this mean for you? A plethora of customization options! You could opt to play an Engineer as a unstoppable tank, or a support with many bots and gadgets at your disposal, or a hammer wielding hero that destroys anything in its path. The choices and builds you can make are endless. On the top of my head, I can already think of FIVE, yes FIVE, different builds for the Engineer that are not only viable but fun as well and I'm sure there's other people who've thought of builds I haven't consider yet. What can you expect from each class? You can expect no less than five different ways to play. The world is very open and beautiful. It rotates from grass levels, to snow, to desert and all around beautiful combined with great musical pieces. Another aspect of the game that is fantastic is the fact that the boss fights are VERY FUN and ENGAGING. Co-op is simply fantastic. You can play with 5 of your friends or random people and crawl through the toughest dungeons, with each person using their class in a different way, this is bound to be fun for everyone. The loot is fantastic, there's so much of it its great and you get a feel of SATISFACTION each time you get a piece. There's also mods mods mods. Really there's so much great about this game.
  29. Sep 20, 2012
    Torchlight 2 is an excellent game, well worth your money and time. I really cannot say enough good things about this game. The user interface is very clean, easy to read, and aesthetically pleasing to me. The graphics aren't cutting edge, but are very tastefully done, with a lot of charm and character. Performance is great and the game runs very smooth on my modest desktop. There is a TONTorchlight 2 is an excellent game, well worth your money and time. I really cannot say enough good things about this game. The user interface is very clean, easy to read, and aesthetically pleasing to me. The graphics aren't cutting edge, but are very tastefully done, with a lot of charm and character. Performance is great and the game runs very smooth on my modest desktop. There is a TON of loot, but not just any loot: GOOD loot; meaning that there is a good mixture of hefty decisions on what to use. The different weapon types all have their own feel to them. Everything feels "just right". Everything feels different and the "crunch" is there when killing monsters. The combat is perfect. I have never been more satisfied with combat. This game captures that perfect feeling you get when destroying things. It's awesome. The skill trees are much better done here than in the first Torchlight game, in my opinion. I haven't seen one skill shared between any of the 4 classes. There are plenty of skills to choose from when levelling up, and there are plenty of builds you can have in each class. It gives the player the freedom to have unconventional builds, and gives them plenty of tough choices without being overwhelming. Runic absolutely nailed it. Variety is handed out to the player like candy. There are a lot of different monster types, tons of new areas, both the overworld and dungeons, and a lot of armor and weapon models. The story is a little on the weak side, but the pacing is spot on. It picks up where the first Torchlight left off, and while weak, is more than adequate to give purpose on why you're making baddies go splat. You are not locked into the easier difficulty settings when starting a new character. If you want to start off on the hardest difficulty, you can. There is offline singleplayer, you can host or join internet games as well as lan games. I can honestly say that there is nothing about this game that irks me. It's the ARPG I feel most people have been waiting to get their hands on for what seems like an eternity. All of this at a price point that is unbelievable to me. I could go on and on. This game is an incredible value. Pick this up, you will not regret it one bit. Expand
  30. Sep 20, 2012
    There isn't much to say here. Torchlight 2 is a true successor to the ARPG genre and warrants every piece of good criticism out there. The graphics are not in my taste but I'd rather spend hours upon hours playing this than some stripped down game that moves the ARPG backwards. Great job Runic Games I look forward to playing this title in the coming future.

Torchlight 2 offers everything an action RPG fan wants: a huge campaign, variety of enemies, a rich system of quality loot, well-balanced and fresh classes with different build options, care-free and fun multiplayer modes. [November 2012]
  2. Dec 13, 2012
    Sure, it might not reinvent the wheel as built by Diablo II over a decade ago, but Runic deserves props for perfectly recreating the formula. Many others have tried to bring their own take on Diablo to the market-and failed. Runic didn't, which makes Torchlight II an essential purchase for anyone who loves to crawl through dungeons while scoring phat loot.
  3. Nov 25, 2012
    A slick action RPG with wit and charm, this is a genuine alternative to Diablo III. [Christmas 2012, p.93]