8.6

1. Sep 20, 2012
    This game get's a 10/10, I've been playing the press release. First of all, graphics sound style charm blablabla we've all heard it before. So let me instead say what stuck out to me. Somehow because of my own idiocy I lost 8-9 hours of progress on an elite DW berzerker I made. I was half way thru act 2. Needless to say this was frustrating, so I had an idea. I'm only allowed to show act 1-2 and everyone saw 1 from the beta, so I decided to spend my second, returning 9 hour trainride rushing 5 characters to the end of act 1.

Thanks to a 3 hour train delay I succeeded. I made a lvl 21 dualzerker which rocks, a lvl 21 tankgineer which rocks, a lvl 21 embermage that demolishes elite, a lvl 21 melee 2h engineer I need to work on, and a lvl 21 bowlander that's starting to rock.

Here is the important reason why the game is a ten/ten. Alone, playing single player in a train, with a malfunctioning mouse, I didn't get bored playing 5 characters through the same act. To the contrary I really enjoyed seeing my builds come to life.

you think the repetition would kill you, but the randomized chunks are magic. Honestly diablo 2 has it easier I realized, because part of the reason it captivates me is because the crap graphics let my imagination fill in the blanks. In TL2 everything looks so good, that it's easy to get tired of seeing the same urns over and over. So Runic ingeniously made randomized chunks and they keep the game super fresh. I'd be just starting to grumble over doing the same quest, when I'd run across a little scene, nook, or area I hadn't seen before and it just seemed so wonderful and alive. Like the world evolves with my character. It's hard to describe the feeling, but it just keeps the game from getting tedious if you appreciate exploration like I do.

The skills are IMO not perfect, but they will never be as we all want different things. I'll do a skill change request thread later. Some buffs I thought could have lasted 3-5 seconds longer and some tier bonuses I thought could have been more generous given the mana cost. However each skill has purpose, and if you build correctly you could make many of the active skills your main. I'm going to eventually make a fire bomb embermage instead of the cliche magma spear build.

The difficulties are great now. Veteran becomes legitimately challenging and elite is freaking hard though I have conquered it with one build.

Mainly I have to give a lot of points because I was doubtful about how far they'd come from the beta and they went over my expectations. Every single change I've noticed from the beta not only do I approve of but appreciate. They made dual wield claw berzerkers viable, they nerfed everything that trivialized elite yet unlike some companies nerfed the skills to "viable" instead of "useless."

They are true to their word that you can become OP for moments, only to find in the next 6-8 levels that your enemies have caught back up, or even become stronger than you again.

There is the sweet pain of letting go of a piece of armor that boosted your damage because you are in sore need of more survival based affixes.

The act changes are also great. I won't talk about act 3, but in act 2 I felt, rightly so, that engineers and berzerkers suffered from all the slowing ice damage. Lo in behold though in act 2's desert againt physical opponents my berzerker began to thrive like no other. The acts DO feel different from eachother, and this is very good.

Monsters are fantastic, I find myself thinking, "oh it's one of those types. I better avoid x and do y." Like when I see basilisks I keep my distance and hit and run to avoid being snared by their gaze. When I see hordes of small minions I dive in with AOE to make sure I kill them before their fast damage kills me. Some of my classes handle projectile enemies better, some handle mages better, and some handle melee better. Each play through feels different.

The item game is super sweet. I love the new affixes. Life and mana regen are helpful. The new "cast on hits" are cool. But specifically a lot of uniques were changed since beta. Now every class specific unique has 1-2 affixes that specifically help one or 2 builds for that class. Whenever I find a class unique I get excited and can easily imagine how to best utilize it.

The boss fights were good but I am still a little dissapointed in act 1's. Act 1 feels too fast for me. You meet the wise guy for all of 2 seconds and then he becomes [spoiler] . I was hoping to get more attached to him first.

Every act felt different, the difficulty got progressively harder, the loot and randomization were utterly superb.

All and all, I'm going to waste my life playing this game. I'm adoomgod on steam, feel free to add me, I'll help you min-max your character if you want. I enjoy all modes of difficulty.
  2. Sep 20, 2012
    After playing Diablo 3 for four plus months, I was surprised a game for $20 could offer me so much more for my money. I'm thrilled with Torchlight II's classes, skill trees, player choices from character creation to stat allocation, and the gargantuan open world. The game is absolutely huge, has tons and tons of content, and can be played offline so no more lag deaths, or lag period. Graphics are beautiful and the amount of things to do are just shocking for such a modest price-point. Not to mention all the great features from pets to multi-player to extra difficulties to lv 100!! I can pay my deepest respect by stating one key fact, "I will be playing this game for a great portion of my foreseeable future." Expand
  3. Sep 20, 2012
    Amazing, simply amazing. The TRUE continuation of Diablo 2. The work of Runic Games has been amazing, improving in every way and as a result getting one of the best A-RPG of history.
  4. Sep 21, 2012
    Basically this game does many things right which the 2nd blockbuster successor of that game which this genre owes existence has failed to deliver on many levels. Even though you will inevitably find some quirks they are not going to become a fundamental game-stopper. It runs smoothly in single-player mode, there is useful loot to be found without having to give a jealous glance at some item shop your game is balanced around, there is no need to bore yourself through three rounds of easy mode before finally meeting a challenge as you can pick your appropriate difficulty mode from start, there's modding support and lastly and most importantly the game sticks to the guns and doesn't try to marry with MMO mechanics. What this means is also that there are no silly balancing efforts as well as other deterrents not adding to gameplay. Matt Uelmen's soundtrack adds perfectly well to the atmosphere, the sound is crispy and if you don't mind comic-style graphics and nonsensical story which does at least not try to take itself as serious and impose itself on the player then you can't go wrong with this game. Expand
  5. Sep 23, 2012
    Well, this is pretty much what I wanted Diablo 3 to be.
    Fun fast paced gameplay. Awesome loot system. Offline and online play. Interesting and versatile classes.
    Everything you could want from an ARPG can be found in TL2 and then some.

So, if Runic can deliver us this amazing game for 20$ why can't Blizzard make something remotely interesting for 60$?
  6. Sep 20, 2012
    What can I say? Runic has outdone themselves. They really reached out to the consumers when making this game. LAN and Online support with up to 6 characters, full mod support and Steam Workshop, all on top of an improved Torchlight experience. All new classes, new pets, open world, replayability, and 3 skill trees per class to amount to 12 unique playthroughs. The combat has been improved with charge mechanics, movement speed makes for non-tedious wondering, and the overall combat has been overhauled to be more fluid. This is all for 20$. Expand
  7. Sep 20, 2012
    A true spiritual successor to Diablo 2, Torchlight 2 has taken the classic ARPG formula and not only improved but innovated as well. Overall an amazing game that has MASSIVELY improved on the first one. For $20 this is a game that is a DEFINITE BUY. PERFECT DUNGEON CRAWL

With four different classes at your disposal and several pets to choose from, the replayability of this game is
    quite amazing. Each class has its own set spells and unlike Torchlight 1, the classes don't share any skills. What does this mean for you? A plethora of customization options! You could opt to play an Engineer as a unstoppable tank, or a support with many bots and gadgets at your disposal, or a hammer wielding hero that destroys anything in its path. The choices and builds you can make are endless. On the top of my head, I can already think of FIVE, yes FIVE, different builds for the Engineer that are not only viable but fun as well and I'm sure there's other people who've thought of builds I haven't consider yet. What can you expect from each class? You can expect no less than five different ways to play. The world is very open and beautiful. It rotates from grass levels, to snow, to desert and all around beautiful combined with great musical pieces. Another aspect of the game that is fantastic is the fact that the boss fights are VERY FUN and ENGAGING. Co-op is simply fantastic. You can play with 5 of your friends or random people and crawl through the toughest dungeons, with each person using their class in a different way, this is bound to be fun for everyone. The loot is fantastic, there's so much of it its great and you get a feel of SATISFACTION each time you get a piece. There's also mods mods mods. Really there's so much great about this game. Expand
  8. Sep 20, 2012
    This game is everything I want in a loot driven game. The only strike against it is it didn't launch on may 20th for when i got disgusted with Diablo 3.

I actually look forward to killing mobs in this game. Loot drops that actually can be used by my character. I don't spend more time grinding out gold to browse an auction house. I get to actually play a game, instead of an economy
    system.

And they managed to make a game this fantastic run smoothly on my laptop, which is pretty much garbage in 2012.
  9. Sep 20, 2012
    ARPG perfection. This game is amazing. Play it! It's $20! Everything about this game is fantastic: graphics, music, gameplay, and story is pretty tight so far. This might be my favorite game of all-time.
  10. Sep 20, 2012
    Finally the Torch has come back!!!!Much better than imagination, every thing that diablo failed to deliver is here in torchlight.Great Game play ,Superior Graphics, Awesome music, Improved Skills, Massive Loot,Greater builds, Multiplier support, Moding and a long lasting game play what else did a PC gamer wants now.In my opinion Torchlight 2 Deserve an 11/10 for there extra ordinary great work.the new King of Rpg has Arrive All hail Torchlight 2. Expand
  11. Sep 21, 2012
    Torchlight 2 has finally arrived and we can put the Torchlight 2 versus Diablo 3 debate to rest... The verdict? Torchlight 2 wins hands-down!

Torchlight 2 is wonderful and deserves much praise, especially for only costing $20. One would expect Diablo 3 to be three times the game as Torchlight 2 for the asking price but that isn't the case, at all. If anything, Diablo 3 could learn
    quite a bit from Torchlight 2 (such as the awesome loot progression, offline play availability, LAN and mod support).

Torchlight 2 has been an entirely bug-free experience for me thus far (unlike Diablo 3's launch-- which was one of the worst I've ever experienced despite probably having one-thousand times the budget of Torchlight 2) and the game plays amazingly smooth. The battles can be epic (unlike Diablo 3's battles which usually amounted to rock, paper, scissors excercises of frustration depending on RNG) and choices actually matter.

If I had to make a complaint, I'd say Torchlight 2's story is fairly weak (Diablo 3's was as well-- laughably so, actually). About the only thing I can imagine that Diablo 3 has over Torchlight 2 that I noticed was the destructible environments. The art style is kind of a matter of preference I've found. I personally like Torchlight 2's style but can understand if some people don't (probably the same people who would willing bypass a great game like Borderlands 2 because it doesn't look like Battlefield 3-- aka, "their loss").

I would fully recommend Torchlight 2 to anyone that loves ARPG's and even if you're kind of on the edge or not sure if you'd like them or not, Torchlight 2 is probably the best, contemporary example of how one should be.
  12. Sep 20, 2012
    Simply a great game, the randomization of chunks and areas, along with the various character builds make for great re-playability, and of course once the mod community gets in full force with the Dev tools we will truly have an expansive and unique in game experience
  13. d3v
    Sep 20, 2012
    10/10, just because this game makes one thing that diablo III didn't make after sometime: fun

Seriously, this is a pretty awesome game, and for 20 bucks it's worth it!
  14. Sep 20, 2012
    torchlight 2..... is hands down much better than diablo 3. the graphics are cartoonish but the game play is 100 times better then diablo 3. torchlight 2 > diablo 3.

Runic killed it (in a good way), Jay wilson killed it with a knife and continued to stab the dead body overly killing it.
  15. Sep 26, 2012
    This is the game we have all dreamed during these years to succeed Diablo 2. In the future it will be seen as a true legend, a classic, on the same level as Half-Life, Kotor 1, Civilization 1 and Grim Fandango.
  16. Nov 26, 2012
  17. Sep 21, 2012
    This game makes efforts at improving a genre which was in a bit of a lull. Playing the beta really excited me because of the nostalgic feel of ARPGs and obvious features that made classic ARPGs a hit. Torchlight 2 did not stop at the beta like some of these reviews suggest. I doubt they have played the new release or the beta for that matter. This game is fun, engaging, and challenging. Equipment is almost a limitless toolbox of tweaks for your character, and skill building provides its own enjoyment with skill tiers and multiple skill trees. Choose your skills, choose your equipment, and basically equip anything you'd like provided you have the stats. How amazing is that? The multiplayer in beta was awesome, and once it is available on the official release I know the game will be a favorite with my friends and local LAN. Very few games give the features and availability to play on slower systems. Torchlight remains stylishly impressive as far as visuals are concerned while maintaining support for older and underpowered PCs. $20? Massive compatibility for smooth game-play? LAN? These options and the options I have listed with respect to character progression are all reasons I give this game perfect marks. Expand
  18. Sep 20, 2012
    Wow Awsome game, went in skeptical and have thus far been blown away i immediatly got the feeling that i have so long wanted from Diablo 3 ........guys this is the real deal, will be playing for years to come great job runic.

Buy this game people it wont disapoint.
  19. Sep 23, 2012
    Diablo 3 is better than TL 2? No !! this game better than D3. This is the one of the best A-RPG, I love offline game play also I can customize my character stats. Nice graphic, sound, music, dungeon system and many more. If you looking for continuation of Diablo 2 ? this game perfect for you, believe me.
  20. Sep 20, 2012
    Did you ever catch yourself in those nostalgic daydreaming about the days gone by, in which the games were judged by how fun and complex they were? Well, I am pleased to announce that Torchlight 2 is one of those games. Many call it "spiritual successor to Diablo series", "the thing that should have been Diablo 3" etc. ... I call it - a classic hack & slash action RPG, tailored to the needs of the gamers (not the needs of corporate publisher fatcats), with extremely appealing art style, graphics, and most magnificent orchestral soundtrack composed by none other than Matt Uelemen, the genius behind the Diablo 1 & 2 soundtracks. The gameplay in this game is smooth, the audio and visuals simply flow even on older machines, and you can play the game in multiplayer, either online via matchmaker lobby or offline in LAN! Oh LAN, how we all dearly missed you :) ... anyway, you owe yourself to buy this game, because at the extraordinarily low price of 20$ I cannot imagine anyone being able not to afford it. P.S: The game must have some bad traits, but I cannot seem to find them from all the fun I'm currently having :D Expand
  21. Sep 21, 2012
    The progression of loot in this game is fantastic and blowing me away. By level 10 I was already completing a useful 3 piece set bonus, had a unique weapon that gained augments by killing spiders, and had actual unique useful items. Your characters can all be unique, even if they are the same class. I already made a hunter focused berserker, and now I can't wait to re-make another berserker to focus in the ice damage tree. Your decisions also hold weight, if you end up with a terrible build then you definitely won't be surviving in the harder difficulties. I love the fact that I can't just re-spec and be fine and dandy again. I feel more driven to have my character succeed because it was my own unique build and unique attributed stats, so my characters feel more personal. Pet system = amazing
    As many others have mentioned, the soundtrack is fantastic and the visuals look great. The fact that this game is only $20 makes me feel like I'm robbing Runic of such a great piece of work. Any hack n' slash fan will enjoy this game immensely.
  22. Sep 27, 2012
    Don't get me wrong, I certainly sympathize much more with the likable indie TL2 than with the obnoxious and unrewarding D3 but truth be told - I spent 100 hours with D3. With TL2, I couldn't get through the first five. I just couldn't find any reason, any motivation to play on. The story and characters are just nonexistent. Sure, a good ARPG doesn't have to be a Witcher-type masterpiece of a videogame novel. But TL2 takes the ordinariness and simplicity of the story and characters to the absolute extreme. Diablo 2 had a simple story and characters but they were interesting and fun. In Diablo 3 the story and characters are dumb and trite but well crafted...like a Disney movie. With TL2 I felt like playing some kind of Atari game from the 80s or something. Moreover I just for the life of me couldn't stand the infantile WoW-ish art style. I just couldn't stop feeling like I'm playing my 6 years old niece's game. Sure, most games nowadays are childish to some degree but TL2's art style is just too much. I read some guys from Runic saying they chose it to stand out, to be different - well I'm sure you can be different without looking completely silly. But I really loved the way this game just oozed with enthusiasm and gusto, the core gameplay mechanics was fantastic and puts stupid D3 in shame. Unlike with D3 you won't be spending weeks on empty, frustrating farming, collecting nothing but dull and boring garbage. In TL2 the loot is plentiful (maybe a bit too much), interesting and fun. The character development system is not something to be excited witless about but it gets the job done quite nicely. And most importantly - all the monsters die spectacularly and violently, bursting and exploding with satisfying meaty effects. Despite all that I can't give this game better than five stars. Unlike with most other modern games it's a great triumph of substance over style. But the end result is the same - overall averageness. Expand
  23. Sep 20, 2012
    Wow, that's all I can say. This game just feels so right! From the art style to combat mechanics this game is 10/10. When it comes down to the $20 price point you can't go wrong with Torchlight 2!
  24. Sep 21, 2012
    The game Diablo 3 should have been. Saw some Blizz **** drinking fanbois complaining about "bad interface" and "clunky combat". Don't know what they're on about. Must be too stupid to figure out the game. Granted, they are Blizztards.
  25. Sep 20, 2012
    Torchlight 2 is an excellent game, well worth your money and time. I really cannot say enough good things about this game. The user interface is very clean, easy to read, and aesthetically pleasing to me. The graphics aren't cutting edge, but are very tastefully done, with a lot of charm and character. Performance is great and the game runs very smooth on my modest desktop. There is a TON of loot, but not just any loot: GOOD loot; meaning that there is a good mixture of hefty decisions on what to use. The different weapon types all have their own feel to them. Everything feels "just right". Everything feels different and the "crunch" is there when killing monsters. The combat is perfect. I have never been more satisfied with combat. This game captures that perfect feeling you get when destroying things. It's awesome. The skill trees are much better done here than in the first Torchlight game, in my opinion. I haven't seen one skill shared between any of the 4 classes. There are plenty of skills to choose from when levelling up, and there are plenty of builds you can have in each class. It gives the player the freedom to have unconventional builds, and gives them plenty of tough choices without being overwhelming. Runic absolutely nailed it. Variety is handed out to the player like candy. There are a lot of different monster types, tons of new areas, both the overworld and dungeons, and a lot of armor and weapon models. The story is a little on the weak side, but the pacing is spot on. It picks up where the first Torchlight left off, and while weak, is more than adequate to give purpose on why you're making baddies go splat. You are not locked into the easier difficulty settings when starting a new character. If you want to start off on the hardest difficulty, you can. There is offline singleplayer, you can host or join internet games as well as lan games. I can honestly say that there is nothing about this game that irks me. It's the ARPG I feel most people have been waiting to get their hands on for what seems like an eternity. All of this at a price point that is unbelievable to me. I could go on and on. This game is an incredible value. Pick this up, you will not regret it one bit. Expand
  26. Sep 20, 2012
    There isn't much to say here. Torchlight 2 is a true successor to the ARPG genre and warrants every piece of good criticism out there. The graphics are not in my taste but I'd rather spend hours upon hours playing this than some stripped down game that moves the ARPG backwards. Great job Runic Games I look forward to playing this title in the coming future.
  27. Sep 26, 2012
    What a game. For $20 you cant go wrong. You will probably be playing this for months if not year. 4 different class you can experiment with. You get a choice of where to put your stat points. You get to play with up to 6 people.
  28. Sep 20, 2012
    Wow Runic games have done it again with a wonderful masterpiece. I was stunned by how well everything was made and performed. Instant 10/10. The only people who give it a 0, 1, or 2 are people who obviously haven't played the game!
  29. LMW
    Sep 20, 2012
    Amazingly-solid gameplay, great soundtrack, warm graphics, diverse classes, LOTS of areas to explore and monsters to slay! And all that for just $20!
  30. Sep 20, 2012
    Buy this game now. I am constantly being blown away by this game at ever turn. To this review off I simply must talk about the character classes and items. I have played with each class and they are each unique and fun in their own way. The skill tier system and the skills themselves are fun. One embermage passive allows you to randomly call down meteors, spawn vortexes, acid rain, firestorms, and confusion ALL WITH ONE SKILL. The item system is great and allows you to truly customize your characters. Unique items do unique things I recently found a ring that summons a floating skull that zaps enemies around me. The pet system is fantastic and keep you in the action by going back to town to sell your gear. Pets can also learn spells so mine currently summons skeletons and heals me while shooting fireballs. There are several pets to chose from and each can be transformed using fish into new monsters with new abilities.

The overworld is MASSIVE, filled with tons of surprises at each turn. Random dungeons are huge and have their own bosses (boss fights are hectic and a ton of fun). The art style is unique and the dynamic day/night and weather system really add to the atmosphere. It is also important to note that the game is fully moddable so expect tons of community created content.

To put it simply Runic games has created the best ARPG on the market and it doesn't even come close. You owe it to yourself to spend the $20 and enjoy the hours and hours of fun this game will provide for you and your friends (the game supports up to 6 players in one game online) the game also has an offline mode so you can play without internet.

Once again: BUY THIS GAME NOW

Torchlight 2 offers everything an action RPG fan wants: a huge campaign, variety of enemies, a rich system of quality loot, well-balanced and fresh classes with different build options, care-free and fun multiplayer modes. [November 2012]
  2. Dec 13, 2012
    Sure, it might not reinvent the wheel as built by Diablo II over a decade ago, but Runic deserves props for perfectly recreating the formula. Many others have tried to bring their own take on Diablo to the market-and failed. Runic didn't, which makes Torchlight II an essential purchase for anyone who loves to crawl through dungeons while scoring phat loot.
  3. Nov 25, 2012
    A slick action RPG with wit and charm, this is a genuine alternative to Diablo III. [Christmas 2012, p.93]