Torchlight II PC

8.6

1. Sep 21, 2012
    Amazing game, i cant stop play it. Absolutly better then Diablo 3. I hope Torchlight 2 will be a "second diablo 2". And i create account on metacritic special for write this. Just love that game :)
  2. Sep 21, 2012
    Wow, game has surpassed my expectations, proper rpg, don't waste your money on D3 like I did,
    this game was made for gamers.
    -RANDOM WORLD
    -LOOT, LOOT ,LOOT.
    -NO DRM
    -OFFLINE so hardcore here I come.
  3. Sep 21, 2012
    This is the best dungeon crawler game ever. As much as I like the first Torchlight, this one is a great sequel. I've been waiting for this game since it was first revealed. It's much better than Diablo 3. Stop hating this game just because your save game was deleted for the beta. It was a beta release not the final release. Stop whining and buy the game.
  4. Oct 12, 2012
    What diablo 3 should have been. Local lan support, no stupid blizzard drm, reasonably prized, no cash auction house. 10 out of 10 and a huge jump in quality and polish from the prev one
  5. Sep 21, 2012
    Fast paced, builds, gear, hell my first item drop was an upgrade. Fast leveling, amazing run speed and skills. About a billion times more fun and entertaining than any other arpg. Start on veteran! Far more challenging
  6. Sep 21, 2012
    Nothing to say but this: This game is what Diablo III should have shown into public instead of RMAH centric slot machine loot system. It brought back the actual 'Fun' factor with fast pace combat, not so easy difficulty, load of loots, interesting skill system and combat mechanics. Graphics wise, it cannot be matched to multi-hundred-million budget games but keeping up par with cartoon-ishNothing to say but this: This game is what Diablo III should have shown into public instead of RMAH centric slot machine loot system. It brought back the actual 'Fun' factor with fast pace combat, not so easy difficulty, load of loots, interesting skill system and combat mechanics. Graphics wise, it cannot be matched to multi-hundred-million budget games but keeping up par with cartoon-ish art. In short, Runic Games was able to match the hype. Of course, you can get everything with $20!!! One more thing: you can actually customize your character, which is actually 'first' in ARPG genre. Expand
  7. Sep 21, 2012
    Torchlight 2 is a fantastic game. Since becoming disgusted with how the Diablo franchise had been IMO butchered by Blizzard, I started looking for a new ARPG along the lines of the original Diablo and Diablo 2. I heard from a lot of people that Torchlight was the game that I was looking for. I started playing the first game about 3 months ago and loved it. It felt like I was back in theTorchlight 2 is a fantastic game. Since becoming disgusted with how the Diablo franchise had been IMO butchered by Blizzard, I started looking for a new ARPG along the lines of the original Diablo and Diablo 2. I heard from a lot of people that Torchlight was the game that I was looking for. I started playing the first game about 3 months ago and loved it. It felt like I was back in the same genre at Diablo 2. The itemization, the fluidity of combat...the music. Everything felt right. I marathoned it, beat the game in about a week, and immediately pre-ordered Torchlight 2. Torchlight 2 has not disappointed at all. Besides having a little trouble in the beginning with my GPU
    (heads up to anyone with an Nvidia Optimus GPU, your computer will most likely auto-select the integrated card for this game, and I had to manually switch it to the Nvidia to improve performance), I haven't had any problems with running the game, or performance issues. So, to begin with, the items in TL2 are great. I've found several uniques and sets already, including a totally amazing shotgun that casts a full health spell and glacial fissure spell about 5% of the time on hit, among other things. I also found an interesting bow that had an attribute called augmentation. The description said that the bow upgraded, after you killed 10 elites with it. Really interesting mechanic.

The story is nothing special really so far, but in an ARPG that's pretty normal. I like to focus on the action and looting mostly anyway. The sidequests are pretty entertaining, though.Also you're not forced to repeat the same quest events over and over again, as you can pick your difficulty initially, so that's nice, too. I find the artistic style of the game to be similar to Diablo 3, strangely. It didn't really bother me to much, as I wasn't expecting anything dark and gritty (I have Path of Exile for that) ;) If you are looking for a Diablo 2 graphical styling this may not be to your liking, but the game is open to modding, and definitely don't write the game off just because of the graphics. Matt Uelmen's music for the game is exceptional, as usual. He sets a great tone for the action. The sound effects are excellent, too. I was impressed to hear realistic sound of the snow crunching under my characters feet, in the second area of Act I. The Runic devs also made updates to the Pet system. I like how they have items like collars and tags, specifically for your pets to equip, and I LOVE that pets can now go back to town and by potions for you. This is extremely convenient, and just lets you get in the groove of the hack n' slash, without worrying about portals and unloading, too much. The skill system has received some improvements from the first Torchlight, too. I was a bit concerned to hear that they were adding a respec system (I prefer the old-school type of ARPG with no respecs), but this addition only pertains to the last three skills added, and you have to pay for the respecs. I didn't find this system to be that big of a deal, because of the deterrents in place. The skills also have different tiers every five levels that improve and add effects to the skills, as you put more points in them. I think this was a great idea, as it makes most all of the skills viable, for some type of build. Anyway, I think this is a really solid game, and I would recommend it to anyone who like RPG's or ARPG's. You can't beat a current game selling for 20 bucks :)
  8. Sep 21, 2012
    Best ARPG in years, no doubt about it ! The game is fast, smooth an very fun to play. It has all the classic elements that Diablo set in stone and a lot more. Plenty of character customisation. Great loot diversity. Fast paced action. Big and engaging world. True randomised levels and so on and all of this just for
    20 bucks. There's really no reason not to try it. You won't regret it !
  9. Sep 26, 2012
    What more needs to be said? The launch was flawless, other than the fact that their website was hit with so much traffic due to people registering for accounts, and as a result, many people weren't able to register and play online. Those that were able to register before the mayhem started were able to play online. But this was only a minor inconvenience in reality. Why? Torchlight II hadWhat more needs to be said? The launch was flawless, other than the fact that their website was hit with so much traffic due to people registering for accounts, and as a result, many people weren't able to register and play online. Those that were able to register before the mayhem started were able to play online. But this was only a minor inconvenience in reality. Why? Torchlight II had single player available at launch, as their previous title had. Not only that, but the characters on single player are linked to those you use on the internet, so even if you weren't able to play online the day of release, no time was lost!

If you like ARPG's, a number of the people at Runic Games came from a more known company: Blizzard North, who was behind Diablo 1 and Diablo 2. Needless to say, Torchlight II fits the bill of a superb ARPG, as to be expected from former Blizzard North employees.

The people at Runic know how to make an ARPG. They don't try to force a story-line on you. They don't repeatedly nerf/buff in the name of balance, because an ARPG is not all about balance. They don't release "new" items with the same exact bland affixes and call them new.

Other companies, mainly Blizzard (I like to call them Blizzard South still), are trying to morph the ARPG genre into a more MMORPG style where content is released in tiers, players and monsters are constantly balanced around one another, and items are based off of primary stats and weapon DPS. This is not the case whatsoever with Torchlight II, they have shown time and again that they are sticking to their roots with ARPG's, and I don't foresee that changing any time in the near future.
  10. Sep 22, 2012
    20 dollars for a game that will provide hundreds of hours of fun. Sounds like a good deal to me. They took everything that was great in D2 and Torchlight and added to it. If only D3 would have done this. Great job Runic! ignore other reviews saying "this game is too easy." I've been playing on ELITE with a berserker and it is very hard.
  11. Sep 24, 2012
    This is an amazing game. It is astounding how talented the Runic Games team is. Even without Blizzards money they managed to create such a great game. I can not fault it in any way. I am not saying it is the perfect game, it's just so quite and solid as far as gameplay goes that you forget to look for flaws. I will be giving this game a 10 out of 10. It deserves it.
  12. Sep 21, 2012
    This game is fabolous. Perfect hack&slash arpg. Not really really open world like skyrim but it is very good compared to TL and definetely ten times better than diablo 3. I think it is a killer!

@Rainfall: Beta was a beta, nothing is lost and the game does not crash for me. No crash after already 10 hours gameplay.
  13. Nov 2, 2012
    This game is amazing, is what all fans of diablo (yes i'm quoting diablo here cuz diablo3 was such a let down) been expecting. Is amazingly fun, and it actually has loot!! really polished and i really dig all about the game. There is so much to do and so much options to build your character that you'll never be bored.
    And for 20 bucks is a steal, and i'm sure there will be some steam sale
    And for 20 bucks is a steal, and i'm sure there will be some steam sale around the corner soon. So no excuse to not buying it, if you are into rpg and you liked diablo 1 and 2 you definitely should get torchlight 2.
  14. Oct 13, 2012
    Torchlight II, the $20 game that outshines your $60/per game collection by a long shot. Runic games once again proves they are a major player when it comes to creating an amazing game that the gamers WANT. Every tiny detail in Torchlight II is masterfully created and fine tuned. The scenery is gorgeous, the graphics are stylish and flush, and the gameplay speaks to you in a way that get'sTorchlight II, the $20 game that outshines your $60/per game collection by a long shot. Runic games once again proves they are a major player when it comes to creating an amazing game that the gamers WANT. Every tiny detail in Torchlight II is masterfully created and fine tuned. The scenery is gorgeous, the graphics are stylish and flush, and the gameplay speaks to you in a way that get's your mojo flowing.. if you know what I mean. This game is not for people with slow reaction times or people with weak arms. You'll be gloriously hyper-clicking your heart away as you evade and damage your enemies with lightning fast maneuverability abilities. Each class to choose from comes packed with amazing spells and such, and there's no limit to what you can create. Each character class is fully attributable in customization and each class has 3 unique talent trees to fill out over the course of level 1-100. Beating the game means nothing, Mapworks provides you with a map vendor who sells you dungeon scrolls to keep slaying baddies and stocking up that loot. Game getting to easy? No problem, hop into 6 player online co-op and start getting your face rolled on Elite Difficulty (Hardcore YOLO mode optional) or start the New Game+ mode where you re-roll the game map to randomize it a little and start the single player story over again, this time the monsters are stronger and you get to keep your stats and gear to bring them down again for even more powerful items. It's a joyous experience this entire game, the almost near perfect score I give this game suffers from only 1 thing, and that is the lackluster storytelling. While many Torchlight 1 fans will follow through the storytelling without too much confusion, there's much left open to anyone who's never traversed the lands of Torchlight. This game is huge.. and by huge I mean REALLY REALLY BIG. Every nook and cranny should be explored, there's hundreds of secret rooms, easter eggs, and unique items just waiting to be found. Keep a keen eye on everything, you won't be disappointed when you realize you can in fact put that lotion in the bucket and receive a Buffalo Bill parody mask. Seriously, why are you still reading this mini review? Go buy the game already! Okay, so more information.. this game is filled to the brim with loot, and that's not a bad thing. Items are already identified if they are worse than the gear you already have equipped. This is so you know that when you pick something special up and have to identify it you know it's got some worth. You get a pet, you can choose between hawks, dogs, cats, panthers, ferrets, whatever. Your pet is your go to guy, he/she can hold your excess loot, haul it back to town for you and sell it, and even bring you some potions/scrolls if you want to make a shopping list for him. Hell, the only time you ever really need to go back to town is when your inventory is filled with super rares and gems. I'm a little bit of a Torchlight fanboy, I'll admit that.. but I have every reason to be after the disaster D3 was. The original creators of Diablo 1 and 2 are the same people who made Torchlight. We all love D2 right? Exactly, now go let Runic take your money. If this game disappoints you, you have no soul... this is the spiritual successor of the Diablo franchise. Support game companies like Runic, they are the future of keeping games made for gamers. Expand
  15. Sep 20, 2012
    This game is just amazing. All I was hoping for D3 to be. The only thing that bothers me a little bit is the very colorful and cartoonish graphics style. But at the end it's a wonderful world with much at least as much sense to details as D3. So only a matter of taste and not of quality.

So at least for me at the moment pretty much the most perfect arpg on the market. And if some shortcomings should rise in the the future, I'm sure the modding community will handle it :)

If you like PLAYING arpgs then consider to buy it. More than enough value for 20 bucks ....
  16. Sep 20, 2012
    Great game, the classes are unique, the music is very good, sounding like the original Diablo music. The combat has some cool things about it too, for instance there are hand cannons and shot guns that actually do ranged AoE damage, and if you're dual wielding you have a chance to strike with both weapons at once. It's a must buy for any fan of Diablo, and it's a bargain at only $20. ItGreat game, the classes are unique, the music is very good, sounding like the original Diablo music. The combat has some cool things about it too, for instance there are hand cannons and shot guns that actually do ranged AoE damage, and if you're dual wielding you have a chance to strike with both weapons at once. It's a must buy for any fan of Diablo, and it's a bargain at only $20. It has multiplayer, lan or internet, more modding capabilities, a lot of pets to choose from. Expand
  17. Sep 21, 2012
    Just awesome. I do not know how to express my satisfaction. It was first time in a LONG time that when i play a game my eyebrows go SO HIGH! I was surprised in a good way and every part so far is just fantastic.
  18. Sep 21, 2012
    One of the games you can't really comment on ... Why? Everything about Torchlight II is great, so no need to name things. With modding and coop added, it will be fun for years to come. And I mean real fun, not the mindless utterly boring paradoxical linear grind like in D3.
  19. Sep 21, 2012
    Having played this game for a while now, I'm impressed with the game's improvements over its predecessor. Really rich environments, content and quests. The classes seem very well thought as well, I'm not sure about balance yet. The cutscenes are awful, but this does not affect my game experience.
  20. Sep 21, 2012
    This is the ARPG of 2012. Torchlight 2 has vastly improved over everything that was in Torchlight 1, With the mod tools, online and offline play, and an evolving world, the game is begging to be replayed over and over again. For $20, you cannot find a better ARPG.
  21. Sep 27, 2012
    It's a sequel, but it is a proper sequel. More characters, more animals, more of an open world, more stats, more abilities... more more more. There is nothing really new or inventive about the game, it is just a great sequel for Torchlight. If you liked Torchlight you will like this.
  22. Sep 22, 2012
    After the huge let down Diablo 3 was, especially when it was obvious your are herded towards using Real Money to finish the game, either that or 100's of borring, tedius hours farming the same area. Not to mention no stats; no skill points; and not even letting your character's name show (only your "bar code" shows, talk about a corporate thing to do). Torchlight II is everything D3After the huge let down Diablo 3 was, especially when it was obvious your are herded towards using Real Money to finish the game, either that or 100's of borring, tedius hours farming the same area. Not to mention no stats; no skill points; and not even letting your character's name show (only your "bar code" shows, talk about a corporate thing to do). Torchlight II is everything D3 should have been. 1/3rd the price and 30 times more fun. :)

You can tell is was made by gamers, for gamers, not by CEOs like D3 was.
  23. Sep 21, 2012
    Is it better than Diablo 3? Yes. Is it cheaper than Diablo 3? Yes. Do you get more for your money than Diablo 3? Yes. The art style is subject to taste and the story is probably even less coherent than Diablo 3, but lets be honest, nobody really plays games like this for it's story. It's a hack 'n slash isometric game and the best one released so far this year.
  24. Sep 21, 2012
    Awesome awesome game from Runic. Everything that D3 could have been but never was. I would have given it 9.5 out of 10, because no game is perfect. But I can't give halves on Metacritic and TL2 doesn't deserve only 9/10 so I had to give it 10/10.

There were some launch issues, but those were resolved within 24 hours by the dedicated team from Runic Games! Even with the launch issues I was still able to play single-player and LAN perfectly.

The guys from Runic Games deserve all the support they can get. They are just the nicest people you will ever find developing games! They listen to what their customers say, and actually play the game and change it until it is fun!

The result is a 10/10 TL2, and the best thing is you can get it for only $20.
  25. Sep 21, 2012
    This is a fantastic game. I am playing as a mage and I am having more fun than I did in Diablo 3. Great graphics and addictive gameplay. A great value for just $20. The developers have promised free DLC, buy th
    is game and support the developers. This game is a lot of fun in multiplayer. This game gets a 9 because the story elements in the game are lacking. If this game had a better story it would be a masterpiece. Buy this game you will not be disappointed.
  26. Sep 30, 2012
    My Torchlight II review was deleted for some reason. It was rated very high as being a helpful review. I don't understand why it was deleted. Is Metacritic censoring people now? That's not a good way to get an accurate community opinion, but whatever, Metacritic is not the website that I thought it was.... Anyway, Im giving Torchlight II a 10 out of 10 because it is just plain fun, thereMy Torchlight II review was deleted for some reason. It was rated very high as being a helpful review. I don't understand why it was deleted. Is Metacritic censoring people now? That's not a good way to get an accurate community opinion, but whatever, Metacritic is not the website that I thought it was.... Anyway, Im giving Torchlight II a 10 out of 10 because it is just plain fun, there is no other way to describe it. I don't understand how Blizzard took some 10 years to release a $60 game that failed so badly, while Runic took less than 3 years to release a $20 game that is universally loved. I feel sorry for all the people that were pulled into Diablo 3 by all the nostalgia only to find a real money pay to win auction house, and a constantly online DRM system designed to punish people that actually bought the game. Runic really likes their fans, and everything about Torchlight II shows that they really listen to them. Thank you Runic for showing the world how game companies are supposed to operate. Blizzard may have made more money by selling fake nostalgia, but Runic gained a lot more fans by selling a real product. Expand
  27. Sep 24, 2012
    This is exactly what Diablo III should have been. It's a hundred times better and anyone who says otherwise has obviously never played the game - twenty dollars, full modding support, offline play, a legitimate class system, and you actually get to choose your skills. That alone should be enough to buy this game.
  28. Oct 10, 2012
    I didn't play TL1 to any great extent. In fact, it was quite boring and repetetive. I kept an eye on Runic's plans for TL2 as they looked to be quite ambitious in comparison to the first entry of this series. I didn't take part in any beta events, and I bought the game on day one of release.........................I think the main point of focus when looking at TL2 is it's price vsI didn't play TL1 to any great extent. In fact, it was quite boring and repetetive. I kept an eye on Runic's plans for TL2 as they looked to be quite ambitious in comparison to the first entry of this series. I didn't take part in any beta events, and I bought the game on day one of release.........................I think the main point of focus when looking at TL2 is it's price vs product. For £15 it offers up a well polished game. Many will compare it to Diablo 3, which for my money, Blizzard failed to deliver anything like what I'd hoped, and if you are compelled to compare the two, then the first port of call is on loot. D3 absolutely failed on loot throughout it's entirety, and TL2 is the complete opposite. Plenty of loot drops that are relevant to your level and character...................Graphically TL2 has a less realistic feel to it, and is, strangely enough more comparable with Warcraft games. It is probably a required taste, but you soon lose yourself inside the game's various areas and dungeons......................As far as gameplay is concerned, well it's pretty standard fare for this genre, and I'd say gamers of any level can easily pick it up and play. As far as combat goes, it's pretty simple, and is probably where it lets itself down - but only slightly. Pretty much everything i've encountered so far on my Engineer is simply a case of spamming and running, but then again, I'm only about 10 hours or so into the game. Maybe later on, or on a more difficult setting everything might get ramped up - or might require some thought into how to defeat the bosses..................Finally, co-op play. For a game to include this at this price is quite rare, and a definate plus for Runic games' reputation. I've only tried it a couple of times, but it worked fine for me, and when you think back to only last year with Dungeon Siege 3 - which was a full priced supposed AAA title, where you had to stay in a limited area on the same screen as your compadres, how Runic have implemented it how they have on such a small budget shoud really make some developers sit back and rethink there approach as to what gamers want. If you deliver cr*p, then gamers will remember and speak with their wallets next time around - ie: they won't buy....................................So, TL:DR - TL2 is a welcome addition in the genre, something that I think I could put alongside Titan Quest as a winner in this genre....... Buy it - you won't be disappointed. Expand
  29. Nov 7, 2012
    Fantastische game. Dit is zoals Diablo 3 had moeten zijn , sterker nog, dit is diablo 3 voor mij. Geen flauwekul voor online hoeven spelen of een auctionhouse element die de maandelijkse kosten van de servers hiervoor moet bekostigen. In dit spel zijn de sterke spelelementen van Diablo II in tact gelaten en de wat zwakkere elementen van deel 2 verbeterd. Klasse spel!!
  30. Oct 12, 2012
    Overall I feel that this game is a well-polished version of the first game. The technical aspects are all perfect. No obvious bugs or quirks, incredibly smooth and solid gameplay. All of the 'little things' were tended to.
    I was hoping for a little more graphical improvement. The graphics were definitely smoothed out and the effects are more detailed than before. Personally the art style isn't really my cup of tea. I don't mind 'artistic' renderings but everything seems like a Disney cartoon with a few splotches of blood thrown in the mix. The women are rather scantily dressed but they look like little kids with cleavage. I say keep the art but make it look more like a dungeon crawler theme. I mean the game is based on wandering around and murdering everything in sight.
    I have enjoyed it but after reaching level 40 I don't feel inclined to continue on. The story is incredibly weak and the characters are completely forgettable. I have almost no connection to the hero under my control. In the end though I am giving this game a high rating because technically speaking it was delivered to me perfect. So far there have been 3 updates all of which have fixed problems I never experienced or adjusted some gameplay mechanics. And the best part for Runic is that they only charged me $20. Last year I was raped by Rage and Skyrim having paid full price for pre-orders; games I bought blindly because I had followed the developers since the beginning and had always been thoroughly amazed with their games. Is Torchlight 2 amazing?

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Feb 6, 2013
    Torchlight 2 offers everything an action RPG fan wants: a huge campaign, variety of enemies, a rich system of quality loot, well-balanced and fresh classes with different build options, care-free and fun multiplayer modes. [November 2012]
  2. Dec 13, 2012
    Sure, it might not reinvent the wheel as built by Diablo II over a decade ago, but Runic deserves props for perfectly recreating the formula. Many others have tried to bring their own take on Diablo to the market-and failed. Runic didn't, which makes Torchlight II an essential purchase for anyone who loves to crawl through dungeons while scoring phat loot.
  3. Games Master UK
    Nov 25, 2012
    A slick action RPG with wit and charm, this is a genuine alternative to Diablo III. [Christmas 2012, p.93]