8.6

1. Aim
    Feb 3, 2013
    It's a fantastic game which and the developer know how to design a real hack'n slay game. Compared to the failed Diablo 3 "game" which destroyed the complete franchise of it TL2 has all the freedoms,that player wants. You can skill the way you want, you can play it offline,you can create your own games there are no laggs... it's fantastic!
  2. Sep 20, 2012
    I know it's a little quick to judge but this game is perfect. It fixes the biggest problems I had with D3. One, there's actual character building with skill points and attributes. Second, you can find gear that's an improvement. In D3 i never got excited over an item, ever. But in torchlight I find one after another better armor piece. Don't get the idea that this makes your character overpowered, because it doesn't: the pacing keeps a gear check. The game play is great and the graphics are wonderful. If cartoon isn't your style then your sol. If you don't like something about the game you can mod it. (THIS DOES NOT MEAN HACKS). Runic games plan to release software to help the modding community. This hasn't been done in many large games like torchlight. So I'm excited to see where this goes. All of this is only 20$. Please check this game out it is worth it no doubt. Expand
  3. d3v
    Sep 20, 2012
    10/10, just because this game makes one thing that diablo III didn't make after sometime: fun

Seriously, this is a pretty awesome game, and for 20 bucks it's worth it!
  4. Sep 25, 2012
    This is what D3 should have been. I highly suggest you buy the four pack on steam and play co-op with your friends. I had so much fun exploring the game and having FUN I lost track of time and here I am burning a sick day from work. :)
  5. Sep 21, 2012
    Nothing to say but this: This game is what Diablo III should have shown into public instead of RMAH centric slot machine loot system. It brought back the actual 'Fun' factor with fast pace combat, not so easy difficulty, load of loots, interesting skill system and combat mechanics. Graphics wise, it cannot be matched to multi-hundred-million budget games but keeping up par with cartoon-ish art. In short, Runic Games was able to match the hype. Of course, you can get everything with $20!!! One more thing: you can actually customize your character, which is actually 'first' in ARPG genre. Expand
  6. Sep 21, 2012
    Je rejoins les avis positifs sur le jeu (pas comme ce Chocapic de Gamekult qui nous a pondu un torchon pro D3 honteux), après 6h de jeu hier soir en mode élite, une dizaine de fois mort, et le Général Grell de vaincu, (quel combat ^^) (oué 6h pour arriver là c bcp mais j'aime prendre mon temps et tout explorer jusqu'au dernier recoin de la carte ^^), il était 3h du mat quand mon engineer à pris son niveau 14, je n'ai pas vu le temps passé, signe de réussite à mon avis de la part de Runic.

Hâte de retourner sur le jeu, les loots sont cohérents (hein Blizzard), plusieurs items de set récupérés (dont un en péchant ^^), 1 set complet (le Runemaster), 2 uniques pour mon perso et moultes bleus, un phase portal, et un parchemin pour faire apparaitre le vendeur de set (pas encore activé) je suis comblé :)

Les différents boss rencontrés (ainsi que pas mal de pack) offrent vraiment un vrai challenge avec ce mode de difficultés, juste un regret sur le faite que les popos soient spammables à volontés.

En switchant entre gros canon et armes 2H l'engineer est vraiment plaisant à jouer, quel pied !
  7. Sep 21, 2012
    I'm just a simple factory worker guy, I play games as my escape, I'm sure you do too. This game has done a lot for me. It has restored my faith in the game developer, it has provided entertainment, and it has provided a chance for some 'good times' with friends. If I could put it more simply, I'd say this is a D3 killer, but no one would believe me. I agree, people will view this game harshly simply because they are obsessed with a specific franchise or brand. Please keep that in mind.

If you are looking for something that's fun, this is it. 4 pack this puppy and play with friends. Gift giving season is coming!
  8. Sep 21, 2012
    Now this is how a dungeon crawler ARPG should be HANDS DOWN. It is everything that D3 should of been but is not.

It's a well polished game where the loot is actually viable to use. You are not just selling everything to the vendor but you find stuff that you can use and come up with different combinations for your characters like maybe an embermage that carries a gun and a shield or a
    traditional weapon like a staff or even two wands. Simple put: the itemization in the game is enormous! There are skill trees available that offer numerous different builds. For example, I started with an embermage and went all +Ice damage. But then I added some fire gear and spells and now I have a completely unique spell build that just makes me want to create another embermage to try out different combinations.

As far as the D3 comparisons go, this is what D3 should of been. It makes me wonder what this team could of done if the Diablo IP was still under their control. It's a shame on Blizzard.

Nevertheless the only thing that I am not a big fan of is the art work and bright colour scheme of the game. At first it wasn't my cup of tea per say but it actually does work well for the style of story they are presenting the customers/gamers.

It's extremely well done. The game only costs 20 bucks. There is no Auction House or Real Money Auction House. It is the standard for an ARPG and what a game should be.

Don't listen to the negative reviews. Honestly, don't. They are just hurt Blizzard employees or fan boys that are putting the game down. The number of positive reviews speaks for itself. Excellent job Runic Games! Excellent Job!!
  9. Sep 22, 2012
    this is everything that diablo 3 got wrong. highly recommended. best game in a very very long time. what makes it perfect is its own flaws. I'm really quite speechless. This game brought back memories of countless hours I spent on dungeon siege or nox, except it was not boring to play it, it was very challenging, and it was well designed. will not compare it to diablo 3 as that game just makes me puke. sure they changed it now so its more like torchlight II; how original. Expand
  10. Sep 24, 2012
    yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sss
  11. Sep 21, 2012
    Made by the folks who know how to make ARPGs (D1 & D2) Torchlight 2 is the living successor to these games (unlike one which shares the same name). It keeps to the tradition of action role playing games and absolutely delivers. If you are looking for an ARPG that has a loot and game play system derived on fun rather than a real money auction house, this is the game for you.
  12. Sep 24, 2012
    Amazing and addicting game. Tons of enemy variety with lots of bosses and minibosses in each of the large zones and dungeons in the game. The environments are pretty and vary from bright forests and deserts to snowy plains and dark swamps, each with their own unique look. Tons of loot dropped from enemies and chests, although admittedly much of it useless but you can come across the odd unique weapon from bosses. The 4 classes are all cool and each have 3 talent trees to suit a subclass of your choice, for example engineers have a talent tree with skills suited for two handed warrior, machinist, and even a more defensive tank sort of playstyle. There are also about 6-7 types of pets you can choose from your character compared to just cat or dog from the original Torchlight and the Fate games. The story is pretty shallow but it's servicable for giving you a reason to slaughtering things and making flashy animations burst everywhere on the screen. The graphics are cartoony and WoW like and much more colourful than what might be seen in Diablo III. The particle effects have been upgraded so that explosions and stuff are prettier but it may also be more stressful on older computers like mine compared to the first Torchlight. There is also a co-op mode in the game although I was unable to play it on my pirated copy of the game

Overall, awesome game and for $20 ( which I didn't pay) you can't go wrong. Or if you torrent it like I did, at least buy the game to support the developers later on.
  13. Sep 20, 2012
    The best game on my steam library i would gladly pay 35 pounds for this game but its only 15 POUNDS!!!!
    this feels and plays like a triple a game. i havent played diablo 3 so i cant compare but my freinds have it and say torchlight is MUCH MUCH better
  14. Oct 5, 2012
    Something interesting...Digital Spy a "Critic" review gave Torchlight II, a 20$ game a 60/100 because it's not innovative, which in fact it is. The same company gave Diablo III an 80/100. Simply put, there are morons out in this world that have no clue how to be a critic and give an unbiased review. The fans couldn't have asked more out of a $20 game and I got more than I wanted playing Torchlight II. At least it has meaningful skill trees and stat points, and of course PvP, more than you could say for the "highly polished" Diablo III in the words of Digital Spy... Expand
  15. Sep 20, 2012
    torchlight 2..... is hands down much better than diablo 3. the graphics are cartoonish but the game play is 100 times better then diablo 3. torchlight 2 > diablo 3.

Runic killed it (in a good way), Jay wilson killed it with a knife and continued to stab the dead body overly killing it.
  16. Sep 21, 2012
    Tons of content, fun rewarding loot system, fun character and skill design and a wealth of secrets and explorable content all for $20 great work runic!
  17. Sep 23, 2012
    I haven't had this much from with an ARPG since Diablo 2. The atmosphere and setting are both bang on, the gameplay (targeting enemies, camera, mechanics, etc.) are all very well done. The only fault I can find in this game is that the story isn't memorable. Aside from that, this game is perfection.
  18. Sep 21, 2012
    The game Diablo 3 should have been. Saw some Blizz **** drinking fanbois complaining about "bad interface" and "clunky combat". Don't know what they're on about. Must be too stupid to figure out the game. Granted, they are Blizztards.
  19. Oct 30, 2012
    This game is the true Diablo II successor that is all there is to it, made by the same guys who led Diablo II, the game is fun with a lot of replayability is only $20, I don't regret buying Diablo III but I am more hooked and had more fun with this game
  20. Nov 26, 2012
  21. Jan 30, 2013
    One of the best games I have ever played. I sunk 60 hours into the weekend beta and another 200 into the full game. Torchlight II has the "easy to pick up, difficult to master" that is so rare in games these days. Nega-reviewers didn't bother playing with their toons/skills much, and as a result they hated it. Find someone in co-op with Respec pots and have a blast messing about with different builds :D If you like to have fun, you'll like TL2. Expand
  22. Sep 20, 2012
    Beautiful. Polish. Soundtrack can feel very rich and satisfying. If this game was a girl, it'd be the short, cute girl with expressive eyes, who plays the violin professionally and you met through a friend, and you end up dating and married, and spend the rest of your life together. :x
  23. Sep 20, 2012
    This game get's a 10/10, I've been playing the press release. First of all, graphics sound style charm blablabla we've all heard it before. So let me instead say what stuck out to me. Somehow because of my own idiocy I lost 8-9 hours of progress on an elite DW berzerker I made. I was half way thru act 2. Needless to say this was frustrating, so I had an idea. I'm only allowed to show act 1-2 and everyone saw 1 from the beta, so I decided to spend my second, returning 9 hour trainride rushing 5 characters to the end of act 1.

Thanks to a 3 hour train delay I succeeded. I made a lvl 21 dualzerker which rocks, a lvl 21 tankgineer which rocks, a lvl 21 embermage that demolishes elite, a lvl 21 melee 2h engineer I need to work on, and a lvl 21 bowlander that's starting to rock.

Here is the important reason why the game is a ten/ten. Alone, playing single player in a train, with a malfunctioning mouse, I didn't get bored playing 5 characters through the same act. To the contrary I really enjoyed seeing my builds come to life.

you think the repetition would kill you, but the randomized chunks are magic. Honestly diablo 2 has it easier I realized, because part of the reason it captivates me is because the crap graphics let my imagination fill in the blanks. In TL2 everything looks so good, that it's easy to get tired of seeing the same urns over and over. So Runic ingeniously made randomized chunks and they keep the game super fresh. I'd be just starting to grumble over doing the same quest, when I'd run across a little scene, nook, or area I hadn't seen before and it just seemed so wonderful and alive. Like the world evolves with my character. It's hard to describe the feeling, but it just keeps the game from getting tedious if you appreciate exploration like I do.

The skills are IMO not perfect, but they will never be as we all want different things. I'll do a skill change request thread later. Some buffs I thought could have lasted 3-5 seconds longer and some tier bonuses I thought could have been more generous given the mana cost. However each skill has purpose, and if you build correctly you could make many of the active skills your main. I'm going to eventually make a fire bomb embermage instead of the cliche magma spear build.

The difficulties are great now. Veteran becomes legitimately challenging and elite is freaking hard though I have conquered it with one build.

Mainly I have to give a lot of points because I was doubtful about how far they'd come from the beta and they went over my expectations. Every single change I've noticed from the beta not only do I approve of but appreciate. They made dual wield claw berzerkers viable, they nerfed everything that trivialized elite yet unlike some companies nerfed the skills to "viable" instead of "useless."

They are true to their word that you can become OP for moments, only to find in the next 6-8 levels that your enemies have caught back up, or even become stronger than you again.

There is the sweet pain of letting go of a piece of armor that boosted your damage because you are in sore need of more survival based affixes.

The act changes are also great. I won't talk about act 3, but in act 2 I felt, rightly so, that engineers and berzerkers suffered from all the slowing ice damage. Lo in behold though in act 2's desert againt physical opponents my berzerker began to thrive like no other. The acts DO feel different from eachother, and this is very good.

Monsters are fantastic, I find myself thinking, "oh it's one of those types. I better avoid x and do y." Like when I see basilisks I keep my distance and hit and run to avoid being snared by their gaze. When I see hordes of small minions I dive in with AOE to make sure I kill them before their fast damage kills me. Some of my classes handle projectile enemies better, some handle mages better, and some handle melee better. Each play through feels different.

The item game is super sweet. I love the new affixes. Life and mana regen are helpful. The new "cast on hits" are cool. But specifically a lot of uniques were changed since beta. Now every class specific unique has 1-2 affixes that specifically help one or 2 builds for that class. Whenever I find a class unique I get excited and can easily imagine how to best utilize it.

The boss fights were good but I am still a little dissapointed in act 1's. Act 1 feels too fast for me. You meet the wise guy for all of 2 seconds and then he becomes [spoiler] . I was hoping to get more attached to him first.

Every act felt different, the difficulty got progressively harder, the loot and randomization were utterly superb.

All and all, I'm going to waste my life playing this game. I'm adoomgod on steam, feel free to add me, I'll help you min-max your character if you want. I enjoy all modes of difficulty.
  24. Sep 20, 2012
    After playing Diablo 3 for four plus months, I was surprised a game for $20 could offer me so much more for my money. I'm thrilled with Torchlight II's classes, skill trees, player choices from character creation to stat allocation, and the gargantuan open world. The game is absolutely huge, has tons and tons of content, and can be played offline so no more lag deaths, or lag period. Graphics are beautiful and the amount of things to do are just shocking for such a modest price-point. Not to mention all the great features from pets to multi-player to extra difficulties to lv 100!! I can pay my deepest respect by stating one key fact, "I will be playing this game for a great portion of my foreseeable future." Expand
  25. Sep 20, 2012
    Finally the Torch has come back!!!!Much better than imagination, every thing that diablo failed to deliver is here in torchlight.Great Game play ,Superior Graphics, Awesome music, Improved Skills, Massive Loot,Greater builds, Multiplier support, Moding and a long lasting game play what else did a PC gamer wants now.In my opinion Torchlight 2 Deserve an 11/10 for there extra ordinary great work.the new King of Rpg has Arrive All hail Torchlight 2. Expand
  26. Sep 20, 2012
    Amazing, simply amazing. The TRUE continuation of Diablo 2. The work of Runic Games has been amazing, improving in every way and as a result getting one of the best A-RPG of history.
  27. Sep 20, 2012
    Keep this short and simple. Game is quite fluid and for a game worth 20$ you would really feel that this game is worth more than the price. You would feel all the love the developers put into making this game. If you're out looking for a good time then this game is for you
  28. Sep 20, 2012
    Simply a great game, the randomization of chunks and areas, along with the various character builds make for great re-playability, and of course once the mod community gets in full force with the Dev tools we will truly have an expansive and unique in game experience
  29. Sep 20, 2012
    The most addictive game I've played in a long time! There is not doubt that the creators of Runic Games were once Blizzard North. This game is not a Diablo clone, it's going to be a legend by itself! And the music it's amazing!
  30. Sep 20, 2012

quite amazing. Each class has its own set spells and unlike Torchlight 1, the classes don't share any skills. What does this mean for you? A plethora of customization options! You could opt to play an Engineer as a unstoppable tank, or a support with many bots and gadgets at your disposal, or a hammer wielding hero that destroys anything in its path. The choices and builds you can make are endless. On the top of my head, I can already think of FIVE, yes FIVE, different builds for the Engineer that are not only viable but fun as well and I'm sure there's other people who've thought of builds I haven't consider yet. What can you expect from each class? You can expect no less than five different ways to play. The world is very open and beautiful. It rotates from grass levels, to snow, to desert and all around beautiful combined with great musical pieces. Another aspect of the game that is fantastic is the fact that the boss fights are VERY FUN and ENGAGING. Co-op is simply fantastic. You can play with 5 of your friends or random people and crawl through the toughest dungeons, with each person using their class in a different way, this is bound to be fun for everyone. The loot is fantastic, there's so much of it its great and you get a feel of SATISFACTION each time you get a piece. There's also mods mods mods. Really there's so much great about this game. Expand
  31. Sep 20, 2012
    Did you ever catch yourself in those nostalgic daydreaming about the days gone by, in which the games were judged by how fun and complex they were? Well, I am pleased to announce that Torchlight 2 is one of those games. Many call it "spiritual successor to Diablo series", "the thing that should have been Diablo 3" etc. ... I call it - a classic hack & slash action RPG, tailored to the needs of the gamers (not the needs of corporate publisher fatcats), with extremely appealing art style, graphics, and most magnificent orchestral soundtrack composed by none other than Matt Uelemen, the genius behind the Diablo 1 & 2 soundtracks. The gameplay in this game is smooth, the audio and visuals simply flow even on older machines, and you can play the game in multiplayer, either online via matchmaker lobby or offline in LAN! Oh LAN, how we all dearly missed you :) ... anyway, you owe yourself to buy this game, because at the extraordinarily low price of 20$ I cannot imagine anyone being able not to afford it. P.S: The game must have some bad traits, but I cannot seem to find them from all the fun I'm currently having :D Expand
  32. Sep 20, 2012
    The perfect ARPG. This game delivers everything you'd want in an ARPG: extreme customization of skills and character, loot, loot and more loot. GETTING LOOT IS ACTUALLY SATISFYING AND REWARDING. The game is to put it simply - perfection.
  33. Sep 20, 2012
    This game is amazing 10/10. Been waiting a long time for it and it was well worth the wait. Best rpg since diablo 2, and since diablo3 was so awful this has really showed me that there is yet hope in the gaming industry. Great game, even greater price, can't go wrong. Music sounds like D2, Combat plays somewhat like d2, great skill system, classic items and drops....take it from a die hard d2 fan. This game will not disappoint. Expand
  34. Sep 20, 2012
    After playing the full release over the last week, I think I can safely say that Torchlight 2 is the action RPG I have been wanting for the last decade. I will most likely be playing it off and on for the next few years. While there are some things I would prefer were different (that is what mods are for), Here are eight things I absolutely love about it. ###1: The Loot: Items to make a build around###
    I love the Torchlight 2 loot. Sometimes it is hard to immediately tell whether an item is strictly better than another, but I find the stats easy to read and the abilities exciting. The most impressive things is that several of the weapons are impressive enough to make me want to create builds just to use them...

###2: The New Skill Tree: Anticipating the Next Level###
    The updated skill system is a great change from the standard skill trees we saw at beta (and light-years ahead of TL 1). I find myself looking forward to each level combination and striving to get the next tier bonus. I also find myself hovering over the other skills in my character and planning out new and exciting builds as I play the game. Even with 150 skill points, I find that there is just too much for one play through of each character. I think Torchlight 2 may be the first game since Diablo 2 that I create character after character to try out new combinations.

###3: The World: Gameplay that Stays Fresh###
    Torchlight 2 has the best randomization of any 3D ARPG ever made. In addition to randomness, there is a massive variety in the areas I go to. About every five minutes (unless I am doing a complete full clear of one of the bigger areas), I experience a complete scenery change. There are multiple dungeon themes and layouts for every large area and they all feel unique. Overall I don't experience the fatigue from extended play that I get in other games. ###4: The Monsters: Interesting Combinations to Fight###
    Monsters in Torchlight 2 are interesting to fight (which is good, because the game revolves around fighting them). For instance, one Act 2 dungeon I recently went into had the following mix of monsters Including: 1Mobile towers that spawned high damage lighting copters, 2 Walking machine gun turrets, 3 Lightning mages that casted high damage but easily dodged lightning orbs, 4 Shielded warriors that hindered me from getting to the artillery in the back, 5 A series of deadly blade traps on the ground that further limited movement. I found myself having to dodge in and out of the room while prioritizing targets and trying to avoid getting focused by the mini-copters and artillery. Honestly, this room felt like a gigantic puzzle in Elite Mode and I felt a serious sense of accomplishment for killing them all without dying. This makes the game fun and made me want to keep going deeper to see what tactics the next area would require.

####5: Variable Difficulty: Neither Insulting nor Frustrating###
    As I get older, I am running out of patience with one-size-fits-all game content. Many games start out so easy that they are not challenging at all and then try to compensate for that fact by tacking on some ridiculously unfair mode so that they can claim that they have something for everything. Torchlight 2 lets me adjust my difficulty on the fly so I am always hitting my sweet spot.

####6: Fluid Gameplay: Good Enough I Barely Notice It###
    Targeting and skill queuing in beta were rough. Sometimes I felt like I was wrestling against the UI more than the individual monsters. These has been improved so much that I often find myself forgetting about gameplay and the UI altogether and just focus on the game as I play. I think that a game has arrived when the gameplay is so smooth and transparent that it ceases to be visible. While I still have occasional issues, I think Torchlight 2 is approaching that point.

####7: Unobtrusive Lore: Perfect for Multiple Playthroughs###
    ARPGs are designed to be played through multiple times. Cut scenes and forced dialog may be great the first time, but they are eventually just a test in how fast I can hit the excape button. Torchlight 2 does lore right. It is there if I want it, but I can mainly ignore it if I want to also. This is great, because I don't want to listen to the same dialog fifty times. It is there when I want it, which is perfect.

####8: In and Out Multiplayer: A Seamless Experience###
    I haven
  35. Sep 20, 2012
    This is a 10/10 game. BUY IT, DO NOT PIRATE IT. It has the charisma, the music, the action, the LOOT, the RPG depth (welcome back stat points/skill points, you were missed), and the story to be a grade A action RPG. It does everything an aRPG should do in ways that Diablo 3 doesn't. It scratches all of those itches that D3 hasn't. It is what D3 should have been but isn't. And Runic did it in a fraction of the time with a fraction of the money charging only a fraction of the retail price.

My favorite thing about TL2 is how much it looks, feels, sounds, and plays like an old school Blizzard game. I felt more nostalgic about the good old days in the first 5 minutes of TL2 than I did in my entire run of playing SC2, D3, Cata, etc COMBINED.

So, thank you Blizzard North-- I mean, Runic-- for doing what you do best. This game is a classic in the making, and it's only going to get better.
  36. Sep 20, 2012
    This is a very great game. I love the gameplay, it really feels like diablo 2. Multiplayer is even better than diablo 2. Lots of contents ( quests, monsters,...). It's a very great deal for 20$.
  37. Sep 20, 2012
    Siffy

1) Runic is made up of less than 40 people
    2) Runic is friends with the people that made D3(Blizzard)
    3) certain people did get the game early, such as game review sites and popular youtubers. 1 of my subscriptions started a torchlight 2 playthough before the game actually came out (hasn't shown anything past act 1 yet.) Your arguement is completely invalid and stupid. it did
    give me a good laugh though. I havent played through much of it yet but i think what ive played through is very good, so ill rate it a 10 to compensate for your stupidity. Expand
  38. Sep 20, 2012
    LOVE IT! Worth it since its only $20!! Don't bother reading all the other negative reviews, there just a bunch of trolls who are mad that torchlight 2 is better then Diablo 3 in every way.
  39. Sep 20, 2012
    For $20 (or even $15)? 10/10. Don't be fooled by the visuals. Torchlight 2 is sinister and dark, even more so than its predecessor. There are lots of loots, there are gibs, there are colourful flashes of explosions, there are mods, and there's offline single player and LAN. Compared with other $20 games (even map packs cost more!), this game is certainly very high up the list in the bang for the buck department. If you're not convinced with the hype, there's a demo you can try. In any case, BUY IT NAO. Expand
  40. Sep 20, 2012
    TL2 is AWESOME, addictive, clicktastic brain candy. It's 20 bucks! 20 bucks!!! Moddable? Aye! Single player, online multiplayer, LAN multiplayer? Yes, yes, and... yes. Fast action. Check. Regular leveling. Ditto. Huge world to explore? Yessir. Butt tons of enemies to smash, slice, incinerate, dissolve, electrocute, freeze, shatter, and explode, with a nice melange of mini-bosses and bigger bosses to keep things interesting. Huge kudos to Runic Games. True talent, polished game, super fun. We can tell you guys care about your playerbase... GO PLAY IT RIGHT NOW! :) Expand
  41. Dec 28, 2012
    I can't really properly put down what this game makes me feel I'm just going to have to do my best but frankly, it's hard for me to really get into it at length because I start missing the game and wanting to go back to it, so this will be an emotional reaction review more than a technical one. I only have one major gripe with the game and that involves the story. It needs a bit more warmth, there's some definite lore overload going on and while it's great to learn about this fantastic new world they've created, most of the characters lack personality and it feels like i'm talking to walking,talking encyclopedias/politicians at times.

That's it, though. Everything else...it's amazing.The best way I can compare my feelings about this game is by comparing it to how I felt playing Diablo III. This game in many ways is the total opposite of that game. Despite DIablo III having a flawed story, many of the characters had a surprising amount of personality. Diablo III has a lot of really amazing art yet in the areas where it really needed to look amazing, it doesn't, it falls flat. Torchlight II has that Don Bluth/Disney animation style-the game looks like Titan AE/Treasure Planet by way of Heavy Metal with some Rock & Rule tossed in for good measure-yet there are some areas where you can tell they stepped up their game and pulled out all the stops in order to blow you away with pure mood. Despite stuff being low poly everything fits and there are some set pieces that make me marvel at how they've managed to pull off so much randomization while managing to keep everything cohesive.

The skills and stats are accessible and fun. I'm in love with my berserker. I honestly haven't had this much fun playing a character in a very long time. I loved Diablo II, loved my necromancer but my femzerker blows him away. She's spunky, has a ton of attitude and it's crazy that you can throw together so many different combinations of skills (I've chosen skills based on the background story I came up with for her) and still have them work in elite.

So, back to the whole D3 thing, yeah, when D3 came out I discovered that I had been waiting for a sequel for years. Diablo II was a very special game to me. I discovered it the same year I first fell in love. As much as I tried to keep my expectations low, despite not getting the game because i know it wasnt going to be anything like what I had hoped it was going to be, it was stick shocking and jarring to play through the game after being given it as a gift.

I was depressed. I knew going in that it might let me down but it was just...sad, and it was sad because I could tell that it would have taken so very little for it to have been better than it was. As crushed as I was, as let down, as sad as I was...that's how happy i've been playing this game. I walked into Torchlight II with very lowered expectations. Despite having played beta and despite having a lot of faith in Runic, I was scared. I hope Runic can understand. I was scared to let myself really believe.

So when that first surprise challenge threw me into a section of map I couldn't get out of without poisoning a bunch of spider spawners that kept throwing hordes of baby spiders at me, causing me to have to run around while freaking out omg omg omg spiders! gotta kill em gotta kill em damn damn damn whats this? Oh! grab the potion, poison the spider pits, run back grab another one poison another pit damn damn so many fuuuuuuuuuuu ok ok got it got it finsh em off GOOD DOG! GO BOY! wooooo spectral hound, backin his buddy up YES YES F**K YOU, SPIDERS! whoa...ok, um, spider mom and dad just ate all the babies and disappeared...oooo k HOLY F**K MY SCREEN IS COVERED IN LOOT OMG.

Yeah. My jaw dropped and I actually started crying tears of joy. I realized then and there that it was ok, I could fall in love with this game and I have-and i'm only in act II. So much of the stuff people told them about in beta has been polished up. This game...this game might just be everything many of us are expecting it to be. While i'm sure it's not perfect (I did mention my thoughts about the writing-sorry JD), it gets it right so often, you won't care and when it does it right-again, which it does a lot-it does it so damn right.

This game is good. Really, really good. This game...is amazing. Thank you, Runic. Good job. Note-I wrote this just after the game was released. It's now three months later and while a lot of my initial excitement has gone down, the game is still fun and hasn't really gotten boring, I just have lots of new games that have captured my attention but I still play, and will continue to for a long time to come. -Zid
  42. Sep 21, 2012
    This is the ARPG of 2012. Torchlight 2 has vastly improved over everything that was in Torchlight 1, With the mod tools, online and offline play, and an evolving world, the game is begging to be replayed over and over again. For $20, you cannot find a better ARPG.
  43. Sep 21, 2012
    This game is fabolous. Perfect hack&slash arpg. Not really really open world like skyrim but it is very good compared to TL and definetely ten times better than diablo 3. I think it is a killer!

@Rainfall: Beta was a beta, nothing is lost and the game does not crash for me. No crash after already 10 hours gameplay.
  44. Sep 21, 2012
    Best ARPG in years, no doubt about it ! The game is fast, smooth an very fun to play. It has all the classic elements that Diablo set in stone and a lot more. Plenty of character customisation. Great loot diversity. Fast paced action. Big and engaging world. True randomised levels and so on and all of this just for
    20 bucks. There's really no reason not to try it. You won't regret it !
  45. Sep 21, 2012
    BEST GAME EVER 10/10, just because this game makes one thing that D... III didn't make after sometime: FUN!

Seriously, this is a pretty awesome game, and for 20 bucks it's worth it!
  46. Sep 21, 2012
    Amazing game, i cant stop play it. Absolutly better then Diablo 3. I hope Torchlight 2 will be a "second diablo 2". And i create account on metacritic special for write this. Just love that game :)
  47. Sep 21, 2012
    In fact I wasn't impatinently awaiting Torchlight 2 realese. Screenshots where not attractive to me at all but I gave it a chance as I was hoping the game to deliver and focus on fun factor... and it does excell at it. When I started the game I realized suddenly that everything is on a right place. The world looks beautiful in motion and completly sucks in! It's colorful and dynamic. Graphics may look crapy on a screenshot but after playing the game I appreciate it as it just fits in and contributes to the unique athmosphere of the game. Music, fast paced combat, great items, world rich in events complete the masterpiece. Playing a game is fun again! It's not going to be boring farming anymore as end game may focus on mods created by players. ULTIMATE FUN!!! Expand
  48. Sep 21, 2012
    Wow, game has surpassed my expectations, proper rpg, don't waste your money on D3 like I did,
    this game was made for gamers.
    -RANDOM WORLD
    -LOOT, LOOT ,LOOT.
    -NO DRM
    -OFFLINE so hardcore here I come.
  49. Sep 21, 2012
    Torchlight 2 is far and beyond a better game/value then Diablo 3. You can mod it, you don't have to have an internet connection, and now Torchlight 2 has multiplayer! All for 20$
  50. Sep 21, 2012
    Simply a awesome game I love it.
    i already lost 10 hours in the game.
    Runic Games as made for me the best A-RPG of history, since Diablo II.
    By far,one of the best games of the year.
  51. Sep 21, 2012
    This is the best dungeon crawler game ever. As much as I like the first Torchlight, this one is a great sequel. I've been waiting for this game since it was first revealed. It's much better than Diablo 3. Stop hating this game just because your save game was deleted for the beta. It was a beta release not the final release. Stop whining and buy the game.
  52. Sep 21, 2012
    The progression of loot in this game is fantastic and blowing me away. By level 10 I was already completing a useful 3 piece set bonus, had a unique weapon that gained augments by killing spiders, and had actual unique useful items. Your characters can all be unique, even if they are the same class. I already made a hunter focused berserker, and now I can't wait to re-make another berserker to focus in the ice damage tree. Your decisions also hold weight, if you end up with a terrible build then you definitely won't be surviving in the harder difficulties. I love the fact that I can't just re-spec and be fine and dandy again. I feel more driven to have my character succeed because it was my own unique build and unique attributed stats, so my characters feel more personal. Pet system = amazing
    As many others have mentioned, the soundtrack is fantastic and the visuals look great. The fact that this game is only $20 makes me feel like I'm robbing Runic of such a great piece of work. Any hack n' slash fan will enjoy this game immensely.
  53. Sep 21, 2012
    This is truly a wonderful game. I am actually having fun playing this versus the endless grind and rigid, ultra simplistic game that is D3. Ton's of content and a true skill point system with none of the DRM Crap and RMAH. Thanks Runic for providing a game versus a new way to monetize gaming.
  54. Sep 21, 2012
    This game brings back the key components of classic ARPGs and gives them a good polish. The combat is fast-paced, heavy, and seamless. Character customization and the loot mechanics are also very well done. Coupled with the ability to support mods, this game is gearing up to be one of the most versatile games of this generation.
  55. Sep 21, 2012
    Torchlight 2 has finally arrived and we can put the Torchlight 2 versus Diablo 3 debate to rest... The verdict? Torchlight 2 wins hands-down!

Torchlight 2 is wonderful and deserves much praise, especially for only costing $20. One would expect Diablo 3 to be three times the game as Torchlight 2 for the asking price but that isn't the case, at all. If anything, Diablo 3 could learn
    quite a bit from Torchlight 2 (such as the awesome loot progression, offline play availability, LAN and mod support).

Torchlight 2 has been an entirely bug-free experience for me thus far (unlike Diablo 3's launch-- which was one of the worst I've ever experienced despite probably having one-thousand times the budget of Torchlight 2) and the game plays amazingly smooth. The battles can be epic (unlike Diablo 3's battles which usually amounted to rock, paper, scissors excercises of frustration depending on RNG) and choices actually matter.

If I had to make a complaint, I'd say Torchlight 2's story is fairly weak (Diablo 3's was as well-- laughably so, actually). About the only thing I can imagine that Diablo 3 has over Torchlight 2 that I noticed was the destructible environments. The art style is kind of a matter of preference I've found. I personally like Torchlight 2's style but can understand if some people don't (probably the same people who would willing bypass a great game like Borderlands 2 because it doesn't look like Battlefield 3-- aka, "their loss").

I would fully recommend Torchlight 2 to anyone that loves ARPG's and even if you're kind of on the edge or not sure if you'd like them or not, Torchlight 2 is probably the best, contemporary example of how one should be.
  56. Sep 21, 2012
    The ARPG is alive and well with Runic games. They understand what fans of the genre want. They aren't hell bent on draining their customer's pockets dry. During the TL2 development process I was kept aware of all the bells and whistles that were going to be in the game. I kept a level head because I knew that based on that other game that came out in May, that promises aren't always kept. Needless to say I was quite pleased with the final product. It's everything I was hoping for in an ARPG.

PROS: Customizable characters that don't feel like clones of other players
    A huge open world to explore
    A great music score
    Skill tress that actually offer usefull skills
    Character level cap at 100
    Local or online multiplayer
    $20 price tag

CONS:

I've experienced some choppy game play here and there but it could very well be my PC
    Normal mode tends to be too easy but if you've played TL1 then you know what to expect
    Only 4 classes
  57. Sep 21, 2012
    Really wish I didn't waste my money on Diablo III; Blizzard is dead and this game shows exactly what an ARPG should be like. No AH/RMAH gives this game an actual reward for playing. To Blizzard: Screw you.
  58. Sep 22, 2012
    Torchlight 2 shows where the talent from Blizzard North really ended up. Graphics are clean and fluid. Gameplay is challenging and satisfying from the first hour and the loot hunt will keep you coming back. Torchlight 2 understands that the loot is the main focus of this genre and oh, have they delivered. Don't be a fool, buy this game now if you consider yourself a fan of ARPGs.
  59. Sep 22, 2012
    I've played every Blizzard title, and I'm very impressed with this small group of indie developers and some Ex-Blizz North employees. From the music to the levels, bosses and character customization a true gem and worth EVERY penny.
  60. Sep 22, 2012
    Top game. I give it a 10 because all those Blizzard fans, who think Blizzard still even cares to continue the Dialbo 1-2 ideology with Diablo 3, gave this game negative critics. This game has a lot of effort behind it, developers are genuine and they have considered a lot of stuff for us fans, not for their pocket like the guys at Blizzard. A game is only as good as its developers value their player base and TL series is certainly in this good categorie, opposite of money hungry Blizzard. If I had the money I would even buy 10-15 copies of this game and send them to my friends! I am an avid ARPG fan who has been playing RPGs for 10 years. Expand
  61. Sep 22, 2012
    Torchlight 2 is a wonderful game. The environments are beautiful, music is phenomenal, game play is fantastic, and the loot is nothing short of amazing. You can definitely see the level of polish Runic put on this product before shipping. My wife and I have played approximately 10 hours of LAN play together (thank you or the LAN option!) and we are have a great time together. I would recommend this game to anyone who is a ARPG/dungeon crawler fan. You don't want to miss this one. Expand
  62. Sep 22, 2012
    While not perfect, it's not far from it, excellent side quests, great game-play and in depth character customisation. And when the inevitable Diablo 3 comparison comes up Torchlight 2 wins over in many, many ways. Not hard to see why it sells so well, Item system bares note in that it can be a little confusing at first and the story is a little odd so far, but still one of the best games so far this year. Expand
  63. Sep 22, 2012
    As someone who played D3 and loves the franchise...lets take a moment and not compare the two, which is what a majority of the people are doing. Lets look at T2 as it's own entity, which is exactly what it is.

Frankly, the game is fun. Serious? Not really. Competitive? Not really. But if you're looking for another 20 dollar game that you can play with your friends for hours on end, then
    good luck.

I mean, for its price, it's moronic to give the game anything less then a 7, it doesn't dissapoint. The amount of sheet content is flabbergasting for a 20 dollar game, not to mention its future modding capabilities which gives you limitless additions to the game. It's a breath of fresh air in today's gaming world.

As said earlier, the game is flat out fun. The elites are challenging and rewarding to kill and a large focus of the game is to enter dungeons and kill the main boss in there, thus rewarding you with a large supply of loot at the end. In the end, that's what a dungeon crawler is all about, crawling through dungeons and getting awesome rewards.

Challenging? Oh my yes. This really isn't the best solo game, if you have no friends then go join a game with REAL people and make some. I play with 2 of my friends, soon to be a full party of 4, playing on veteran. We are only at about lvl 20 at the moment but there are many times we have to be strategic so that we don't completely wipe during a dungeon. Last night we spent a good hour theory crafting our builds so that we weren't so squishy. Yes, it is cartoonie, but that's the style, if you don't like it then don't get the game.

Did I say that there was a lot of content? I have played the first act about 3 times now and although the concept of ares is the same (same dungeons same quests) the areas I find them in and the paths to traverse through them are vastly different. I could go on and on about how much I enjoy the game but to be honest, you need to try it for yourself. The game is only 20 friggilin dollars and I bet you will get at LEAST 100+ hours on it, more then likely way more. Also 20 bucks that all of your (very picky friends) will all play with you is hard to find. In fact I purchased the 4 pack of T2 for 60 bucks and my friends just paid me the difference. A game all your friends can play on different computers for the price of one Xbox game, it's insanity.

Try it, you have very little to lose. You get a game that you can play multiplayer, online, offline and modded. If you love RPGs and dungeon crawlers you have to give it a shot.
  64. Sep 22, 2012
    Torchlight II has been a long awaited, fulfilling and not stop action packed game. I could say it gets better with age because as you level you find yourself becoming more and more amazed at the variances in loot, monsters and skills that become available to you. Runic games deserves a standing ovation for this incredible work of art that I cannot stop playing.
  65. Sep 22, 2012
    Awesome game. Love the gameplay and the loot system. Is a must have if you love ARPG type games. High paced and no boring grind fest like Diablo 3.... In Torchlight 2 you actually play for fun, not to grind 10m gold to attempt to bid on 1 slightly better item...
  66. Sep 22, 2012
    Before I give you my honest opinion about TL 2 I would like to say that so far I have played almost all ARPG from the days of Diablo 1, including mods. That being said I think I will have fair comparing references at least how I experience them.

Also I would like to point out that atm my highest char is Outlander lvl. 38 and just finished act 2, so my review will lack fair
    judgment about end game, but considering the fact that in the near future there will be released powerful modding tool end game will become "endless". If I can compare original D2 and LoD with mods that were made for that game, I would say that mods easily and clearly was far better than original some with 100x more crafting recipes new skills , new bosses, new maps new sets new runes and new unique items.

So I do not have any doubt that some mods would expand TL2 far beyond where it is now.

But let me explain to you why I gave score 10. (Although to be fair right score would be 9.7 but there were no option for be more precise )
    Game balance so far- almost perfect. Playing on Normal and although start of game felt rather easy, later on you still can die if you are not investing in better armor or defensive skills.
    For those that feel like Normal is to easy, there are two stronger difficulties that one could choose from the very beginning.

Actions you perform on keyboard and reactions-results on screen feels just right.
    Light effects and dead animations are impressive and if you are playing alone or in team of two it may be just right amount of those. To be fair I can imagine that with 5-6 ppl all casting-using skills spells all light show may become a little to much.

Crafting system so far feels simple and rewarding.
    Maps are neither to big or to small and never boring. And randomization works quite well.
    Graphic is quite simple and "cartoon-ish" and to be fair graphically D3 feels much more rich.
    However, most of the peoples agree that game-play is most important and TL 2 have very solid one.

Customization of skill builds are great and will add to replayability.
    Music - master pieces
    Price - very cheep for what you get

However TL 2 is not the best game for peoples that want total respeccing ( although as soon Modding tool is out day after it will be some respeccing potion I guess ).
    Neither this game is for people that would like to play with game economy , like AH and real money.
    Also players that like to be the only one who got the biggest sword in the game and to show it proudly off around may find that TL 2 is not best for them.

But for all others that enjoy hack and slash and at the same time like to have have a lot of shiny loot, who like crafting and building different class builds I would definitely recommend TL2.
    Although game is not revolutionary it is rather "old school" at it's best.

Considering that Tl 2 was made in 2,5 year and only from team made of30 ppl it is nothing short of impressive.

For truly ARPG fans, don't miss TL 2 is IMHO one of best ARPG ever
  67. Sep 22, 2012
    please don't look at this as some diablo clone it has similarities but thats because some members of the development team worked at blizzard north they worked on diablo 1 and 2 but other then that this game is amazing especially for the sweet deal of 20 dollars!!!!yes!only 20 dollars i reccomend you buy this and they're releasing a mod tool and the creator of torchlight even encouraged people to remake diablo 2 using the mod tool this will pro long the games life immensely and also the graphics are great and gameplay is smooth the loot system is rewarding i doubt this game will dissapoint you if you're an ARPG fan so please go out and buy this!oh and also it has 6 player online co-op single player and LAN and also no real money auction house LOL Expand
  68. Sep 22, 2012
    I thought the break-away from the 'realistic' graphic style was going to detract from my experience. But the level of details they went into in this game, combined with the successful models for loot and dungeon randomization, results in a worthy sequel and a good, solid ARPG that makes the loot grind worth it. Get it. Got it? Good.
  69. Sep 22, 2012
    I'm quite proud to say that this is the only ARPG that does and will have me continually coming back. During classes I would be anticipating getting out just so I could play in between them and after the day had ended. Now that the weekend is here, I have found myself playing nearly all day.

Apart from its highly addictive quality for someone who has never really been addicted to
    ARPGs, Runic simply did EVERYTHING else right! Attack animations are beautiful along with the environment (the randomization in this game is GREAT) and creature design. The pacing at which everything is done is fantastic as you move at a blazing pace through the world in a way that does not make the game feel rushed, only action packed. Spells firing in a splendor of just-the-right-amount-of-color-ridden awesomeness makes you really feel like you're accomplishing some feats of strength!

And how about that LOOT! Itemization in this game is entirely stupendous. At level 3 I was already having to debate a decision between two items. So many of the items feel very useful and viable in some way. The rate at which yellow rare items (uniques) drop is just right so far. Just long enough between intervals to where you're hoping for one yet not long enough to where you want to give up. Then there's the rush about whether or not when you identify that it will be useful for your class. I've found that if a unique is not what my current char needs, then it usually is useful for one of my others. Items have very interesting affixes as well.

Difficulty has been ramped up since the first game. Unfortunately the only way to accurately judge if you've chosen the right difficulty is to get to the very last of A1/ beginning of A2 as that is a much more accurate representation of what you will be facing for your difficulty choice. I thought veteran was going to be just barely too easy. . . and then Act II came and put up quite the challenge (possibly even a bit too much for me!)

The polish time spent on this game that pushed the date back was well worth it. So far, in terms of a patch wish list, the only thing I can think that I would want is just a few ui additions (which can also be easily modded, another great feature for the game's longevity). There's nothing wrong with the UI that is there, but a few cool additions would be neat. Not an improvement to other features, but additions of new ones.

Overall, runic really outdid themselves. There is a reason why this game is getting such grand scores from metacritic and professional reviewers. . . and it's because it rocks...real hard. While the game is worth a 60$ price tag you can essentially steal it for the price of 20$!! Wow! For a wonderful little 'box' of fun, just go and buy it! You will not regret it. :)

[And remember, you can like both Diablo III and Torchlight 2! ;) Even though I do prefer TL2 significantly more, these games can live in peace with each other!]
  70. Sep 22, 2012
    This game is pure gold. Awesome, dynamic and exciting combat, tons of options with skills and items, enormous locations. By the way, locations are way ahead of those in Torchlight 1, more beautiful and detailed not just a bunch of square rooms. Also there is some unique stuff going on in some locations, so Runic made a huge improvement on the game world. So, Torchlight 2 is superb, and even if you happen to dislike something about it then you can wait for some cool mods to appear. Expand
  71. Sep 22, 2012
    Torchlight 2 is the new Diablo 3. Like many, I was disappointed by Diablo III but Torchlight 2 has officially got me back into hack 'n slash games. This game is what I dreamed Diablo III was going to be like. This game has no reason to get a negative score... The loot system is amazing.

Looking for a cheap hack 'n slash game? Purchase this game.. You will not be disappointed.
  72. Sep 22, 2012
    Amazing game!! 10 out of 10!!! The PvP is so fun to play around with and its just a really really well done game, you can tell Runic really put there hearts and soul into making this and we get to sit back and enjoy it............"throws diablo 3 in the trash"
  73. Sep 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's really amazing! 10/10! This is what everyone was waiting on Diablo 3. And even more! Torchlight 2 more beautiful, more interesting, more thoughtful. And also in contrast to Diablo 3 does not require a top-end PC. This is - the best that happened to the genre aRPG Expand
  74. Sep 22, 2012
    Just great. That's all I wanted from a hack'n slay. Multiplayer mode is just awesome. And it's open for modding - I guess we can expect a lot of fun in the future... :)
  75. Sep 22, 2012
    A true spiritual successor to Diablo 2, Torchlight 2 has taken the classic ARPG formula and not only improved but innovated as well. Overall an amazing game that has MASSIVELY improved on the first one. For $20 this is a game that is a DEFINITE BUY. PERFECT DUNGEON CRAWL With four different classes at your disposal and several pets to choose from, the replayability of this game is quite amazing. Each class has its own set spells and unlike Torchlight 1, the classes don't share any skills. What does this mean for you? A plethora of customization options! You could opt to play an Engineer as a unstoppable tank, or a support with many bots and gadgets at your disposal, or a hammer wielding hero that destroys anything in its path. The choices and builds you can make are endless. On the top of my head, I can already think of FIVE, yes FIVE, different builds for the Engineer that are not only viable but fun as well and I'm sure there's other people who've thought of builds I haven't consider yet. What can you expect from each class? You can expect no less than five different ways to play. The world is very open and beautiful. It rotates from grass levels, to snow, to desert and all around beautiful combined with great musical pieces. Another aspect of the game that is fantastic is the fact that the boss fights are VERY FUN and ENGAGING. Co-op is simply fantastic. You can play with 5 of your friends or random people and crawl through the toughest dungeons, with each person using their class in a different way, this is bound to be fun for everyone. The loot is fantastic, there's so much of it its great and you get a feel of SATISFACTION each time you get a piece. There's also mods mods mods. Really there's so much great about this game Expand
  76. Sep 23, 2012
    This game is pure ARPG bliss. I have enjoyed every second of it's massive outdoor areas, pitch perfect loot system, challenging bosses, awesome skills and weapons, and fun quests. Exploration is enjoyable and rewarded, the enemies look great and are fun to fight, and the environments are gorgeous and SO HUGE. They are filled with all sorts of secrets and mysteries to be revealed. There is always another quest or elite mob around the corner. Every second of this game has been well worth the modest $20 dollar price tag. These developers have listened to player feedback on the forums every step through the beta and the result as been a game that delivers near euphoric amounts of fun. I'll be playing this game for years to come. Can't wait for the first bit of free DLC they put out. Expand
  77. Sep 23, 2012
    The game is just the perfect buck for you money out there. It almost feels too cheap... There are not many things to say.. 1. TL2 has SINGLE-HANDEDLY the best Stat distribution system in any aRPG i ve played. 2. Skill system is a huge improvement from TL1. 3. Graphs I like. I know many people don't like them, but I like the cartoonish graphs.. And when Texture mods are out, it wil be better..

No point in comparing this to d2. It's like every aRPG is a copy of the diablo series.. PoE is a cheap copy, Loki is a copy, Titan Quest is.. It's the same with comparing GW2 and generally every other MMO to WoW..

The only REAL problem with the game is its responsiveness. At some points it feels stiff but that really doesn't break anything.. There will be a patch fixing it soon I guess..
  78. Sep 23, 2012
    This game is just...fun. It has an open world, big variety of environments and enemies, interesting classes and skills and so much more. It's bigger and better than the first game, and most importantly...it has multiplayer. It's just a good, solid ARPG, and any fans of the genre will surely love it.
  79. Sep 23, 2012
    I have to say this game is really well made. Torch2 runs very smooth and although I'm not a fan of the cartoony art style it is still a beautiful looking game. The loot system seems to crank out an endless stream of attractive and useful gear. The music creates a great mood for dungeon crawling and monster hunting. The skill trees seem to be pretty diverse by adding cool new powers or augmenting existing ones for your character. The biggest improvments to this game over the first one is the open world and co-op/multi support. The original game although enjoyable left me feeling limited to the one town. In Torch2 you now have sprawling zones overflowing with baddies, loot, and side quests to really make this a great game. The power fx are also pretty good without being overdone and obnoxious. I am not comparing this game to any "other" title except Runic's previous title, so I am coming in to this unbiased. With a price tag of $20, loads of content, and the developers attention to detail this game easily ranks top marks in my book...10/10 can't beat this bargain. Expand
  80. Sep 23, 2012
    The difference to Diablo 3 is staggering. Where Diablo 3 did about anything they could to annoy me (their servers didn't work for several days for me upon release so I couldn't even play, the stupid health globes, the weird elites with lasers and walls and whatnot, the gold pickup radius, the lack of content, the crafting, the shop interface, the AH, ... I could go on for a long time...) - Torchlight II did everything to allow me to enjoy playing the game. And enjoying it a lot I do. Really, those two games couldn't be more different in all the little details. I gave D3 0/10 back then in rage... TL2 easily deserves 10/10. Expand
  81. Sep 23, 2012
    In Torchlight II the combat animations and feel of battle in general are liquid smooth, it just flows perfectly. It has so much more to offer than Diablo III. It actually has end game content with new game+, never ending REAL map randomizations, item enchantments, a real open world with a lot to explore, toooons of side quests, an awesome pet system, a better and more creative skill system similar to the past Diablo title, better champion/boss fights, better item stats, endless content with the usage of game mods to create even more content for the game such as new quests, classes, items, UI enhancements, more pets, and so on! And there is just so much more that could be talked about too! Diablo III's main problem: Boooooring! I quit after about a month after launch when I got 3 level 60s because there was nothing to do. It's so straightforward: follow the path, look for the blinking icon on the map, no adventuring, no side questing, no fun. Quit for nearly 3 months total, came back when I saw the 1.0.4 patch, played for about a week, then quit again... now I am gone for good since TL2 is out! I have no regrets about leaving Diablo III behind even though I put a lot of hours into the game. Thank you Runic Games for making the ARPG that makes perfect sense!!! I will be playing Torchlight II for a long time, and I am excited to play it every single time! Expand
  82. Sep 23, 2012
    What a blast! This game is so much FUN - the story is interesting and surprises you constantly, the loot design is much fun - they aren't stingy with it at all, and I'm having fun collecting all sorts of interesting gear. I created an Embermage to hold gear for my hunter-type, and couldn't put the mage down to switch back to my higher level character! So addictive.

I've reached level 29
    so far, and the experience so far has been excellent. The play style is intuitive and familiar without feeling overly familiar or repetitive. The game is extremely smooth and bug-free, which really helps keep up the feeling of immersion. The music is great, the environments stunningly beautiful. I was expecting a lot of out this game, because like everyone else, it was basically my last chance at a follow up to D2 - and it does _not_ disappoint! Expand
  83. Sep 23, 2012
    Diablo 3 is better than TL 2? No !! this game better than D3. This is the one of the best A-RPG, I love offline game play also I can customize my character stats. Nice graphic, sound, music, dungeon system and many more. If you looking for continuation of Diablo 2 ? this game perfect for you, believe me.
  84. Sep 23, 2012
    Torchlight 2 embodies everything Diablo 3 should have been. The games graphics may seem a bit odd but it actually suits the game very well with plenty of blood drenching the scenery during battles too. You are able to fully control your characters build, including its stat point distribution, and each character has multiple weapon types to compliment different builds - you're not stuck with just one weapon type (like a two handed axe for an engineer or a two handed Staff for an Ember Mage) for each character there are different options which will certainly allow you to strengthen your chosen build. Looting is a major part of Torchlight 2, which in this kind of game should always be the case, and with plenty of specials, mini bosses, Large open landscapes crawling with monsters and side quests as well as the main plot line and bosses - the game is full of challenges to keep the player busy.

And of course you are able to play offline, over LAN or over the Internet so you are not forced to play a non-MMO with MMO security. This game, in my opinion, captures everything that games of this genre are about - adds a little extra magic - and then presents it to you brilliantly.
  85. Sep 23, 2012
    Excellent game from excellent developers. Already put 35hours into the game and i'm really excited. The fluidity of the gameplay is perfect, there's a lot but not too much loot, you can gamble, enchant your equipment, you can specc your char and have real chararcter progression. There's plenty to do all the time besides killing: a bit of fishing, planning your build/stats/talents, explore the map and be rewarded for it (find phasebeasts which open portals to unique challenge areas; find new quests which give fame) and so forth.

I can really recommend the game to everyone, which loved D2. Once again you got this sense of replayability. The combat is a little bit hectic sometimes, but you'll get used to it pretty fast.

Have fun with this nice hack n' slay!
  86. Sep 23, 2012
    This is an absolutely fantastic effort by Runic, and proves to be a god-tier ARPG with versatile skill trees, ideal difficulty (on veteran IMO), and engaging combat. That said, it doesn't really innovate too much on the ARPG template of loot-kill-loot-kill that we all know and (might) love, with the notable exception of the incredibly convenient pet system. I've already sunk many hours into this gem, and I'm sure my social life will continue to be crippled for weeks to come at LAN parties and late night single player sessions. The $20 price tag is practically thievery, so you should probably buy it right now, even if you don't even WANT it. Only point reduction is for lack of originality, but honestly, it's an insignificant niggle and won't effect your enjoyment too much. Why haven't you bought it yet? Was I not clear or something? Expand
  87. Sep 23, 2012
    This game is truly outstanding. I am new to the ARPG genre, and it definitely keeps the player engaged in the action. For a price of $20 along with free DLC and a full TorchED system in the near future, this game definitely has to be the best bang for the buck. I preordered the game through steam because I was looking to play something different, and after playing the first Torchlight (came with the preorder), I had to agree that a co-op feature was desperately needed. I recently played this game with a friend of mine, and the gameplay is seamlessly smooth. It's the truest form of co-op I have ever played. Even to the point that players can be in different realms on the same server, yet still remain on a synchronized server. Outstanding. I didn't know how much to expect for only $20, but I will say that this game is easily worth $40. No game is really worth $60, but sometimes we do what we must. I think Runic's tactic here longterm will bring them much more in terms of profits. A $20 game is safe gamble-- they can rake in new players, and I for one, am sure that I will buy any Runic titles in the future. I have been disappointed by EA and Activision far too many times. They don't even try to impress their player base anymore... not to mention the myriad of bugs at release. This game runs as smooth as silk from day one. Anyway, purchase this game, or at least try the Free Demo on steam to see what you think. It's definitely worth the buy, its A TON of fun. Also, to those who say the game is not challenging, it starts out easy, but get much more difficult as you progress through the game. Thanks for reading, and do the right thing. Buy this game! Expand
  88. Sep 24, 2012
    A true spiritual successor to Diablo. The art is a bit cartoony, but otherwise it seems to be on par with Diablo II in terms of depth and fun-factor and surpasses all Action RPGs with it's smooth, slick and rewarding combat. On top of its initial appeal, it looks like there's a ton of room for meaningful build customization. I would much rather have spent $60 on this game than the one I bought a few months ago. This is the real deal. I would dock it a point for minor issues, but it's $20 and it was just launched. I have no complaints. Expand
  89. Sep 24, 2012
    Better then Diablo 3 for the third of the price. Those who like the gameplay of diablo 1 and 2 gonna prefer Torchlight series because it look more like it. One little problem: Normal mode is a little too easy. So if you have play other hack and slash, play at veteran level of difficulty.
  90. Sep 24, 2012
    Beautiful game! A true deserving successor of Diablo I and II and basically the only point-click ARPG left that keeps intact the initial roots that made them so successful.
    As many of us here, I bought Diablo 3 waiting for an amazing new era of the benchmark of ARPGs, however I was completely disappointed and disgusted with what they made out of it. Torchlight 2 on the other hand, did
    almost everything right this time around. It kept the same feeling of continuous exploration/adventure by having randomized maps. It kept the quirky little things that made the game special for most of us, like scrolls, spells dropping from mobs, town portals, etc. Most importantly it also got the loot system right!! They do understand what is what made Diablo I and II successful regarding loot system, things like having random gear sets dropping from mobs from level 1, keeping the hierarchy of rare items and managing to keep an interesting socketing system without being overpowered. The talent system and character progression is the same old (in a good way) system from Torchlight I and Diablo I and II, which allows you to have a dual progress of your character by having a spell's tree and a character attributes customization. Now on to what Torchlight offers IN TOP of getting the old school mechanics right. 1) Pets and fishing, still a side dish to the game but amazingly fun and interactive to what you do. 2) Weapons, great deal of them!! and actually viable weapon switches. I don't feel pigeon holed into a weapon that "my class is supposed to use". 3) Classes, yes!!!, they managed to do a different style of classes without screwing up, now there are not entirely different per say, but a little twist here and there in each one of them keeps it fresh. Now the things that need improving: Internet multiplayer system is very outdated. This is probably the only place where D3 has the upper hand. Of course, we are talking about a $20 game with 2-3 years of development VS millions of $ + 10 years + global online infrastructure (battle.net) + $60 price tag. The other part than could be better are graphics and sound. While graphics have a nice approach with the cartoonish style, they really could use a better engine. Sound is unfortunately lackluster, the quality of it I mean. Conclusion: Best point-click Action RPG since Diablo 2, plain a simple. It deserves a 10/10 because above all we are talking about a $20 game, that did everything right plus more. Could use improvements in the multiplayer internet system, graphics and sound, but for it's price tag I feel that we are getting FAR more. Finally, the support that as customers we should provide to this team and Runic, they clearly have the TALENT there without the greediness and sloppy ideas that made Diablo 3 fail, at the end of the day I think is about having Talented people designing the game, and that's what this team has and Blizzard doesn't anymore. Expand
  91. Luc
    Sep 24, 2012
    Liberté, loot intéressant, développement du personnage "custom", niveaux de difficulté au choix, mods à venir, tout y est, c'est un jeu amusant et jouissif et surtout dans la lignée de Diablo ; je pleure sur l'arnaque Diablo et ses hôtels de vente en comparant les prix des ces 2 jeux.
  92. Sep 24, 2012
    I give it 10/10 because it is a really challenge so far. Even though the act seems short, but it is really exciting game after the 10 years of Diablo 2. It is a well done game from the makers of Diablo, Diablo 2 and Torchlight. USD20 is worth the game to be play with. Please do not pirated it as the creators has done alot of work on it and they release it in a affordable price for everyone to go for offline , online or Lan. Expand
  93. Sep 24, 2012
    This is by far the best game in its genre to date. The speed of play combined with the instant gratification and progress of your character create an experience that is nearly impossible to tear yourself away from. The frenetic boss encounters, challenging mobs and the possibility of EPIC LOOT add to the feeling of constant progress which marks Torchlight 2 as an ultimate achievement not only in its genre but in the grand spectrum of entertainment as a whole. I cannot recommend this game more highly. For the experienced dungeon crawler or to the Hack n' Slash first timer this game is sure to hit the loot button in us all. Not just once but hundreds of times. Expand
  94. Sep 24, 2012
    Amazing is simply an understatement whilst playing Torchlight II, this, like the predecessor of Torchlight I contains the same, intuitive content and stunning gameplay, but as they said have added a whole new multiplayer platform boosting player experience on a whole new level adding in player interaction, trading, and instance based multiplayer combat. I personally have always found the Torchlight series much better than other dungeon crawlers such as the infamous Diablo series and the team at Runic have never ceased to amaze me with the modifiability, support and all the features packed into the Torchlight series making this the epiphany of Dungeon crawler games as of 2012. Collapse
  95. Sep 25, 2012
    This game is really a vast improvement over the first. Obviously the co-op is a big part of the improvement, but the graphics and game play have been tweaked for the better making the cell shaded graphics less blocky and with the addition of new characters that you can customize as opposed to the ones in part 1 where you simply pick from the ones pre-made. Items are easier to swap between inventories and markets while you now have better options for your pet. The skill menu was is now improved by tiers as opposed to 1/20 like in T1. The story is drastically better too, as opposed to the more generic one in part where it was just kill god/demon and end of story, now one of the previous main characters the Alchemist (who you may have played as like me if you chose the spell caster) has now gone insane as hinted at the end of part 1 with power and is causing devastation around the world and has defeated his previous partners making the player a new character set on the path to stop him.

Over all, and THIS is what you care about, the game is just more fun to play and isn't that what really matters?
  96. Sep 25, 2012
    I´ve just played TL2 for about 10 hours and already i love this game. Though i kinda dont like the fact that u cant respec. Its just trial and error. But maybe thats a good thing. I dont know. Anyway this game is awesome!
  97. Sep 25, 2012
    I Loved Diablo 1, I loved Diablo 2. After seeing the slow decline in Blizzard since Warcraft 3, I did not pursue interest in Diablo 3 after many things I saw implemented into the game system that really killed it for me. I played Torchlight 1 and was not impressed, then along came Torchlight 2, and I am: as many would put it, IMPRESSED!!
    Take What made Diablo 2 fun and update it by
    removing the tedium (selling junk, using potions and inventory management)

While for some the graphics may seem childlike, I could agree, at first. But honestly when I am running a steady 60+ FPS with never any slowdown or graphical glitches, it can look like mine craft for all I care and is something that is easily looked past within the first hour of play.

The story is intriguing and the voice acting acceptable for today's standards. It won't blow you away, but it will rarely (if ever) make you cringe.

Loot seems right on top for how often a blue drops you may enjoy using to a unique, or even a green.
    You'll find yourself harken back to the days of Diablo 2 trying to finish that awesome set for the bonuses, or grinding away to find embers (socketables).

Character customization is here, and gladly accepted. Diablo 3 and all games seem to treat us gamers like complete idiots and dumb down intricate systems of customization, not here. You tailor your stats and then create your build, no two builds are the same due to the amount of options per class.

Bottom line, for 20 dollars, this is the BEST investment you could make if you enjoy the A-RPG genre, another major factor why I couldn't justify shelling out $60 to Blizzard for Diablo 3.

And of course, why is this game a spiritual successor to Diablo 2? Well Matt Uelman of course. During your play you can almost hear bits of the music give you a taste of Diablo 2 and 1.

The ace in the whole for the entire series was lost when Blizzard North got decimated and they lost Matt Uelman, look no further, he's here, he's alive...in Torchlight 2.
  98. Sep 25, 2012
    This game is AWESOME

PERFECT in every points

I can't beleive that I bought this GREAT GAME for ONLY 20$

Thanks Runic for this game, you rock!
  99. Sep 25, 2012
    Torchlight II is the pc game of the year 2012. It slaps Diablo III in the face by doing things differently, yet it mimics some parts of the Diablo series. Which makes Torchlight II even more ridiculous yet wonderful. Its attitude is a bitter pill for Blizzard and its developers. And a blessing for the disappointed Diablo fans.
  100. Sep 26, 2012
    What more needs to be said? The launch was flawless, other than the fact that their website was hit with so much traffic due to people registering for accounts, and as a result, many people weren't able to register and play online. Those that were able to register before the mayhem started were able to play online. But this was only a minor inconvenience in reality. Why? Torchlight II had single player available at launch, as their previous title had. Not only that, but the characters on single player are linked to those you use on the internet, so even if you weren't able to play online the day of release, no time was lost!

If you like ARPG's, a number of the people at Runic Games came from a more known company: Blizzard North, who was behind Diablo 1 and Diablo 2. Needless to say, Torchlight II fits the bill of a superb ARPG, as to be expected from former Blizzard North employees.

The people at Runic know how to make an ARPG. They don't try to force a story-line on you. They don't repeatedly nerf/buff in the name of balance, because an ARPG is not all about balance. They don't release "new" items with the same exact bland affixes and call them new.

Other companies, mainly Blizzard (I like to call them Blizzard South still), are trying to morph the ARPG genre into a more MMORPG style where content is released in tiers, players and monsters are constantly balanced around one another, and items are based off of primary stats and weapon DPS. This is not the case whatsoever with Torchlight II, they have shown time and again that they are sticking to their roots with ARPG's, and I don't foresee that changing any time in the near future.
  101. Sep 24, 2012

Torchlight 2 offers everything an action RPG fan wants: a huge campaign, variety of enemies, a rich system of quality loot, well-balanced and fresh classes with different build options, care-free and fun multiplayer modes. [November 2012]
  2. Dec 13, 2012
    Sure, it might not reinvent the wheel as built by Diablo II over a decade ago, but Runic deserves props for perfectly recreating the formula. Many others have tried to bring their own take on Diablo to the market-and failed. Runic didn't, which makes Torchlight II an essential purchase for anyone who loves to crawl through dungeons while scoring phat loot.
  3. Nov 25, 2012
    A slick action RPG with wit and charm, this is a genuine alternative to Diablo III. [Christmas 2012, p.93]