8.6

1. Jan 25, 2014
    After doing Torchlight 2, it feels like an ok game with all the content, but I don't feel like completing the storyline again and to me, that's not a good thing. Sure it has replaying value but not enough for my taste. Though I sure as hell enjoyed the side quests, level design and gameplay. My experience is, however, shaded by the fact that I played with normal difficulty, which is disappointingly easy. I recommend blasting this game with Veteran or Elite difficulty. Recommending to those, who enjoy to loot, loot and loot. Expand
  2. Oct 10, 2013
    This game is very well made and better than the original in all respects, but it’s only fun up to a point. The story is basically non-existent (like most games in this genre) so once the loot collecting & pointing and clicking get tedious, you’ll struggle for a reason to continue. The graphics at least stay fresh and give every area its own identity, but even though you feel like you’re exploring different places, you’re always doing the exact same thing in those places, which is clicking to kill monsters. A whole lot of monsters. Over & over again.

One huge plus is the devs opening the game up to the Steam Workshop. That has allowed people to make some incredible mods that add depth and fun to the game not included with the original version. That combined with the low price move this one up from a 7 to an 8 for me.

I might force myself to sit through a couple more hours of clicking so I can click all the way through to the end, just to say I did, but I’ll certainly never go back and start a new game over. If these types of games are your cup of tea, though, you’ll like it a lot and should pick it up.
  3. Mar 29, 2014
    Kill, loot, sell, kill, loot, sell, give points for level and attributes. Repeat 100x

A pretty hard game when you want to deal with it ion elite hardcore. In total 4 classes that are pretty good balanced. Awsome new graphic (since Diablo 2). Perfect just to sit down, connect to a friends server and click till your fingers will burn.

Starting at the moment my third character (engi,
    bersi done) and I still don't get the point what happens in the story, but I seriously don't care. When you like games like Diablo just try it and you will gonna love it.

8+/10
  4. Sep 20, 2012
    The game itself is very fun, but I feel it's been adopted by a community of people that had no real intentions on a rounded out online experience. The game allows you to transition freely between single character and multiplayer, which is a complete disaster for a legitimate economy, which is one of the reasons I enjoyed the Diablo series so much. If you took this game and added closed/unhackable/unmoddable servers then it would be the game for me. It's just not and I have to be honest in saying I'm disappointed. I still like the closed realm design and removing that removed what I really wanted in this game. Has nothing to do with NOT BEING LIKE DIABLO, it's what I expect from ARPG games period. A legitimate online server system. It's not much to ask in 2012. Expand
  5. Sep 22, 2012
    The game is great, but it's not excellent. Definitely a refreshing experience, after the trainwreck that was Diablo 3. The combat is fun, the itemization is interesting, the classes are neat. Overall it's a good game, incredible music too. There are just a wide range of small complaints I have, which by themselves are only minor-annoyances, but when put together it can be a real damper on your experience. The biggest issue is that the hitboxes for monsters and items are way too big; when you try to move, you often end up attacking instead and it can cause a lot of accidental deaths. Attacking up/down cliffs is also awkward, and you never know what's gonna block your shots. The game engine feels poorly designed. Other than that, the game is loads of fun. No DRM, great game for LAN parties and online alike. Expand
  6. Sep 28, 2012
    I really can't find much wrong with this game but it just doesn't draw me in. I like the art style but just feel like all I'm doing is mindlessly clicking.
  7. Mar 28, 2013
    This is a great little action game, I like its graphics style, the sound score, the atmosphere and such. However, the graphical fidelity isn't amazing, the gameplay is more of the same (which isn't bad, but not amazing either, imo), the story I didn't pay attention to in the slightest, something with someone, kill it etc. I usually pay attention to the story in games, but here I just couldn't be bothered. I didn't really see or experience any bugs, so it, to me, is quite a polished game, which adds to the fun, by being less frustrating than the competition.

All in all its a very acceptable game, but I can't bring myself to play it more than I have, however, for the money it cost, and the amount of hours I got out of it, it is a damn good deal. If you like action games, get it. 7/10
  8. Aug 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's a very nice game, not expensive at all, and very fun to play. Unfortunately, it is not polished, and small things amount to such an extent that it becomes really hard to enjoy the game.
    For example, there is a solid delay between your attack and movement actions; so when you are in the middle of a fight, hitting that mouse button to kick some monster buts, and suddenly your health drops to the point where you want to run you start clicking away, but your hero will continue to swing his hammer for a couple of times, until he reacts. By that time, of course, he will be dead. You have two alternative weapons configurations: so you may equip a shield and a sword as one, and a bow as the other configuration. If you equip two two-handed weapons in both configuration slots, one weapon defaults to right hand, the other to left. Now when you open up your Archaic Stats (where you can see all of your Hero's details, such as damage), not only need you to switch both configurations, you also need to switch the hands, in essence destroying all sense in comparison. Basically, you cannot compare both configurations' damage easily. Which brings us yet to another silly design blooper: when you point to an item, the statistic insert jumps out at you, and if it's let's say a weapon, two more stat inserts will jump our (for weapons in both your hands), effective covering ALL of your screen. Now, i could NOT (no matter how i tried) compare my ring's protection properties with the Actual Hero's Stats of Elemental protection. Unacceptable. Then, there are the graphics i like the overall design and atmosphere, but the textures are just washed out dyes. I did not feel personal with the Hero no matter how the equipped armor changed her looks. The weapons are actually terribly designed a cannon is a cylinder, and a sword is a stick. And Rare or Uniques do not differ from normal or enchanted sets. Major turn off. I was also playing on difficult setting, and could not amount any money whatsoever (the most i have possessed was around 30k), simply because as in the beginning of the game, or at level 40 you will set good items, really good sets or rares for around 100-200 gold pieces. What?! The skill tree is weird you cannot re-stat your points (actually, you can buy back only 3 latest points spent), and earlier skills do not contribute to later ones. So, does that mean that we should wait until Level 40 when the last skill opens up in a specific skill set tree to use it?! Come on... Things like that are all over the game; thankfully, Torchlight II is modable, and many people are making it better and better every day, with mods and improvements. Overall OK.
  9. Oct 26, 2012
    This game is very similar to Diablo 2, but more fast paced - different style of graphics and takes place in a different world. Multiplayer is expanded but there are a lot of connectivity issues in games, especially for parties 4 and more. Skill and stat point mapping is the exact similar to D2 but it's a lot easier to get unique items and thus makes it more fun to play. Shared stash between your characters ensures that every item you find is useful and encourages you to play all 4 classes. The game's 'veteran' difficulty should really be the 'normal', and the 'elite' would be very hard. Anything under veteran is much too easy. Scaling of difficulty is a bit extreme. There are some issues with the balance of skills and classes as well. Not every build is feasible to use in elite. The story is non existent, as should be expected (it's really not that type of game.) It's a game where you mindlessly kill things and get loot and to try out different builds using stat/skill allocations. For 20 bucks the game is fair and not too expensive to play. You'll probably get bored of it after finishing the game story for 4 classes, regardless of difficulty - unless you are looking to beat the game on elite for all 4 classes. Just an FYI, outlander and embermage are extremely overpowered when compared to engineer and berserker based on the current patch. Buy it if you want to kill some time with a relatively fun (but short lived game). Expand
  10. Jul 22, 2014
    Better and worse that the first game in some ways. The option to explore the land above before transition between the dungeon levels gives the illusion that this more of freeroam action RPG. Nope its still a dungeon crawler above or below ground. Actually the above levels seem to be time wasters and not in a good way when backtracking through them alot. As with the first game Torchlight this game is noob friendly. I think even if you have never experienced the genre it the most easiest and accessible it terms of controls and gameplay. That being said this game lacks depth and variety it is a really a no brainer dungeon crawler. The combat effects are far too flashy engaging mobs close quarters led to my character getting obscured too much. Sometimes I couldn't even figure out which side I was getting attacked and the safest route to retreat. So deaths can come cheap from time to time due to the amount on screen confusion. Overall Torchlight 2 feels like a cut copy and paste of Torchlight with some tweaks. Still both games are of obvious quality however the lasting appeal and worth is like any other game subjective from gamer to gamer. Expand
  11. Nov 22, 2012
    A customizable Diablo with cartoony graphics, not so great story line (if theres any), voice overs are really bad but the game is fun and definitely worth the price.
  12. Oct 22, 2012
    I am really not sure why it is getting so many great reviews, the game play is nothing special the loot is all ok but not great. Sure this is an above average game but it is no 9 or 10.

If you never played the first Torchlight then try this one, if you have played the first one I think you might be in for a let down. On the plus side it is cheap :)
  13. Dec 4, 2012
    I am trying the Torchlight II demo to do a comparison with Diablo 3, I will likely buy the full version of T2 when I get paid later this week.

Summary: Diablo 3 has better aesthetics, sound and gameplay, however, Blizzard has ruined what should be a 9.5-10/10 rated game by the very poor loot system, extremely poor loot drop-rate and always online DRM for single player (all as a result
    of their money-grab real-money-auction house from which they take a 15% cut from) so that it is a 5-6/10 (poor-mediocre) rating instead.
    Alternatively, Torchlight 2 feels really dated, but it has none of the BS that has completely ruined Diablo 3 and that makes T2 a better game, I'll give it a 7/10 (decent but not excellent). I recommend you try the T2 demo before you buy it, it will give you a good idea if this is the game for you or not.

Details:

Pros: + $20US (fair price)
    + has a free demo you can try to see if you like the game before buying it
    + single player is played offline
    + customization of the look of your character is possible
    + loot is interesting and fun, rare items are good, upgrades drop often
    + mods allowed
    + no BS from the company running the game (with prior experience developing both Diablo 1 and 2, they know how to treat an ARPG and its player base)
    + non-linear questing, pick up quests and do then in order of your choosing
    + cut-scenes are good, cool stylized anime
    + being able to send your pet to sell your junk/buy potions is much better than needing to break the adventuring to port back to town everytime your bag is full
    + you can custom zoom from far to close on your toon with the mouse scroll wheel, nice way to see your toon's gear close up
    + start your char at whichever difficulty you want casual, normal to hard (5 difficulties if I remember right, might be 4)

Cons:

- your character looks kind of lame (very cartoonish but in a bad way, kinda like WoW Vanilla but even lamer/older looking)
    - looting, killing and combat sound effects sound lame (compared to D3)
    - annoyingly, boxes behind loot name text often hide you and the baddies you are trying to fight
    - voice acting is minimal and lame, most info given through text
    - story telling is minimal and meh
    - audio for cut-scenes stutters/hiccups every 2 seconds (at least on my PC, (don't have problem with D3, SKyrim, etc.))
    - this game feels really dated like a game from the late 90s
    - classes (4 choices) are kind of dull, 1 mage-like one, 1 berserker, I can't even remember what the other two were they were so uninteresting...

Neutral/Undecided:

. assign your own stats when you level (more control than D3 but more to think about and adds possiblility to break your character)
    . skills are permanent (you can only undo the last 3 choices for a price in town, not all. Adds risk and worry for the causal player, but true to older ARPG roots)
  14. Nov 9, 2012
    This is a fun distraction and graphics are decent. It is essentially Diablo without all the nonesense that plagued D3 but lacks any real story and there are few to no rewarding cut scenes. Despite being a click fest and item management game it is addictive and fun. The soundtrack is almost identical to D2 and so it definitely brings out a pang of nostalgia. Its easy to lose time in the game though and as a diversion from more serious games that require attention and skill it is a perfect relaxation game. Expand
  15. Sep 25, 2012
    Diablo 3 and TL2 are very different games and I find myself playing both of them. TL2 is single player that will not have a community driven economy (officially said on forums by devs). I find this to be the single biggest reason I don't see myself playing TL2 nearly as long as Diablo. On the other hand I find myself more involved and engrossed in my character, instead of having generic similar builds I can build my character how I want and also have the choice of a few hair/facial options not a prebuilt character. D3 isn't > TL2, TL2 isn't > D3...they are different and both fun in their own way. TL2 is definitely worth the 20 bucks it costs Expand
  16. Jun 1, 2014
    I haven't played an ARPG in awhile and wanted to ease back into the genre. I wasn't disappointed at all. This is a fun fast paced game with a cartoon art style. You will get your moneys worth with at least 30 hours of content to explore if all side quests are played out. The only gripe I have is that when played on normal you get over powered quickly. So at the end of the game I just breezed through the last boss. Play on hard. Expand
  17. Nov 23, 2012
    I liked the first one though after finishing the game once on hard I didn't really felt like playing anymore. Here I don't wanna play anymore after 10 hours... Maybe should've chosen another character... everything seems to be fine but nothing pulls me to this, it is not even a little bit addictive. I only played the first act of Diablo 3 and had much more fun with just that. So, overally a disapointment. Expand
  18. Jun 5, 2013
    This is a tough one as I'm comparing it to the first game as well. Torchlight II without mods is much more open than the original, but the scrolls that would take you to random dungeons have been removed. This is one of the main things I liked about the original game, and they have been added back with mods, but they shouldn't have been removed in the first place.

The modding in this
    game is fantastic, even better than the original game.

Do not get this review wrong, I will play this game to death and then some. The game does have some issues though. It utterly lacks end game playing without mods and that is something I enjoy immensely in a game.
  19. Jul 28, 2013
    A lot of progress and improvements have been made since the first Torchlight. This game is very large with detailed maps and dungeons. The level design is not repetitive at all from start to finish. I love how the internet coop works as well.

The only bad thing is, after you have finished the game, you feel kind of full of it and anything beyond that is just a grind fest. Nothing new
    (except extra dungeons), no pvp, just creep carnage and better items. Same suffering as with the Diablo 3.

Conclusion: If you are looking for 15-20 hours of fun aRPG gameplay, go for it.
  20. Jun 8, 2014
    a good single player.
    but heavily bugged on the coop side.
    and it was abandoned too soon after launch.

with a few patches it might reach a 9. but, at the moment, it's a just a cheap, sufficiently good single player arpg.

what a pity
  21. Jun 24, 2013
    I don't understand the overwhelmingly high scores for this game, because Torchlight II feels to me like the pinnacle of mediocrity. Really I can only bring myself to play it after having played Diablo 3 to death; over 300 hours for D3 and only 20 for T2.

My main problem with T2 is that it copies ideas from every other RPG and has almost no originality--or at least no good, original
    ideas. I swear several of the music tracks sound like they were ripped right out of Diablo 2. I've been playing an embermage and the skills, while pretty original, are hit or miss in the fun department; but it does have some limited respecing, which is appreciated. The loot is kind of difficult to figure out the mechanics of as you're never quite sure what effect some of the modifiers will have, albeit it's not as bad as Dungeon Siege III in this aspect. Same thing for spell properties and damage. You're given a DPS rating for the weapons in your hand but no average spell damage. And the most mystifying thing of all is the character attributes. As a mage, your damage is increased by both Focus, Strength, and Dexterity--it boggles the mind! Aside from that, the story--as others have pointed out--is complete trash, I just skip right over it.

As far as good things, there isn't much to point out. But it does have support for mods, which is nice, but it's nowhere near Skyrim mod levels. I'm wracking my head trying to think of more good things about this game, but it's just so... average.
  22. Oct 4, 2012
    This game has everything needed to make it amazing, but for some reason it doesn't quite flow. It's like there are a dozen or so niggling errors that just become more glaring over time. The on-screen font for damage information doesn't quite fit the rest of the art style. The classes seem interesting but then seem easily to get stuck in certain attack styles which are much mroe powerful than others. The maps are great, but just a little too big. The levelling is fast and frequent, but then you start to think it's too much, you don't get to explore abilities properly before you're already moving on. In torchlight 1 I was at level 20 about halfway through the game. In this I got to level 25 after completing just two big maps and their side quests. Somehow the humour that characterised the first game has been lost too. In T2 you have a complicated and grand-sounding save-the-world quest, which in the context of an ARPG just seems excessive to me. Compare that to T1 which was able to laugh at itself with quests described for example as, and I quote, "Bla bla bla LEVEL 21 la la la GRUNTHANK THE DESTROYER". That shows a confident game that knows its strengths: you don't care about the quest, you want to kill the monsters. T2 is fun and worth buying, especially given its reasonable price, but Runic have not managed to recreate the absolute perfection that was T1. BTW I have never played any of the diablo games, I'm comparing T2 only to the amazing fun I had with T1. Expand
  23. Sep 22, 2012
    The game builds on nothing. If you loved Diablo 2 (Diablo 2 not Diablo 3), then you'll love this game. Its not innovative, it offers nothing new to the ARPG genre. The skill system is very small and robust. Its more spam skills to win, rather then having interesting Attack/Defensive/passive combos that make your character amazing. It really turned out to be boring. Do not recommend unless you are not satisfied with Diablo 3, its no better. Expand
  24. Nov 20, 2012
    This is generally a good game, and if you liked the first version you'll definitely enjoy this one too. It does some things to improve on the first version, especially the diverse variety of locations (whereas in the first torchlight you just kept going deeper and deeper down in the same mine forever). The gameplay is basically the same as the first version, some minor improvements, but essentially the same kinda feel to it. My two main criticisms with it are 1) the repetitive nature of the gameplay, there is little to no variety in the actual gameplay (kill monsters, collect loot, upgrade gear, sell inventory, repeat cycle thousands of times) and 2) the relative shallow nature of the actual storyline and character development, which makes for something that just isn't immersive enough for my taste.
    Overall, it's a relatively enjoyable romp for short spurts of time here and there (after an hour or so I tend to get bored with it, turn it off, then several days later turn it on for another hour or so), but nothing that I can really sink my teeth into with much succulence. If you loved the first one, you'll love this one even more. If you had mixed feelings about the first one, you'll probably have mixed feelings about this one too. If you have never played the first one, go buy this one and see if you like it- best case scenario you'll love it, worse case scenario you'll still think it worthy of it's low price tag.
  25. Sep 26, 2012
    Would i have not know PATH OF EXILE, torchlight 2 would have been fun. But i play the damn POE beta and so torchlight give me a taste of more of the same, starless. It is an ok game, it doesn t have the flaws D3 have (not difficult) but it ain t innovative, it ain t creative, it brings nothing interesting. Its a well executed bland game. But unfortunately uninteresting to me now, character development is...boring dull narrow. If i had to resume ...TL2 is starless it not flawed but its doesn t shine, i will play it from time to time until i know the end story but just that. Expand
  26. Dec 9, 2012
    I felt that TL2 had potential but the lack of detail, story, interesting dialogues, things you can interact and mana restrictions just make it an average game. Enemies are not very interesting, there no is lore/backstory to them and it feels like a hack n slash with a really cut down core. What I did enjoy was the open style of the game and how I didn't feel very restricted. Playing with others was always fun, you're character would always be useful and you would always access some kind of support/team skills. The sounds and visuals are great and the stat mechanics are good. The big problem is that this game just doesn't provide large content outside of repetition, the whole hack n slash aspect isn't even particularly good and the game doesn't really leave you with memories. There are uniques for specific classes and if you're playing alone, all you'll do is recycle them because equipment which is valuable doesn't sell for anything and enchantments can result in a potentially great equip being mediocre unless you have tons of money. A lack of lore and dialogues seriously hampers this game and I felt they could of provided more. Each skill has a use and no skill is bad but using several skills decimates your mana and kind of ruins the fun, but wait, there are also abilites which are non-class specific which rape your mana even harder. And the hitboxes are just so frustrating at times, nearly everything which isn't small has hitboxes which are too big and it is almost impossible to target a specific target in a group of enemies. Overall, it's a decent game but falls well short of being a good RPG/hack n slash combo because of the huge flaws. Fact is, I'd rather be playing Path of Exile because it's way more fun and provides the same type of content. Expand
  27. Oct 3, 2012
    I wish i could rate this game higher, but the game has some problems i just cant get around. But first, the good: The music is wounderfull, it has a very Diablo 2 feel and i absolutely love it. The price is awesome and i hope the tactic works in their favour. The amount of freedom in how you build and play your character is splendid, im not locked in the same way as you were in Diablo 3. And its a pretty lenghty game with multiplayer for added enjoyment and longlivity. And now for the bad: My biggest problem with this game, and what stops me from enjoying myself is the iOS game feeling i get from it. The controlls feels clunky and unresponsive, as i hit enemies my attacks have no "impact" no "ompf!" it just feels like im flailing around in nothingness and yet stuff is dying. There is problems with the accurateness of the mousepointer also, more then often i find myself accidently picking up stuff i do not want or struggeling with clicking on something that i want to use thanks to the pointer not acctually beeing where it tells me it is. I do not know if this is a problem with just my system, ive tried mixing around with mouse settings in setpoint and disabled my other monitors if the game had some problems with my eyefinity setup but still, the problem persists. The graphics, althou very nice, mixed with the clunkyness of the menues adds to the feeling that i am playing a game ported from an iPad to a PC, which is not the case. All in all this is a good game that would have been a great game if it was not for the iOS-game feeling i get from it. Expand
  28. Feb 23, 2013
    Felt a lot like Diablo III, except the UI and character building feels very clumsy. Some great concepts and ideas, but I felt they weren't very polished.
  29. Nov 20, 2012
    This game have really bad graphics which is partly repaired with pretty good gameplay and some new things added in genre. The game is good but nothing to remember or play long time. But compared to D3 it's much better in gameplay even when graphics sucks badly.
  30. Jun 24, 2013
    This game got hyped only because of failure of Diablo 3. This game is worse than Diablo 2 and Titan Quest. What is funny this game got even worse graphics than Titan Quest and TQ was released at 2006!!! Trust me if D3 did not failed nobody would rate this game 10 or even 9.

Torchlight 2 offers everything an action RPG fan wants: a huge campaign, variety of enemies, a rich system of quality loot, well-balanced and fresh classes with different build options, care-free and fun multiplayer modes. [November 2012]
  2. Dec 13, 2012
    Sure, it might not reinvent the wheel as built by Diablo II over a decade ago, but Runic deserves props for perfectly recreating the formula. Many others have tried to bring their own take on Diablo to the market-and failed. Runic didn't, which makes Torchlight II an essential purchase for anyone who loves to crawl through dungeons while scoring phat loot.
  3. Nov 25, 2012
    A slick action RPG with wit and charm, this is a genuine alternative to Diablo III. [Christmas 2012, p.93]