8.6

1. Sep 21, 2012
    The best game in 2012, it's amazing that this game is only 20$ and give me more happiness than Diablo 3. Sorry, I can't even compare with Diablo 3, its unfair, this game is more great in 1 hour than Diablo 3 in 60 hours. OMG, i cant wait to play this game today.
    The characters is great, the power and magic is great, the itens area great(sword, shotgun, pistol, etc)

I LOVE THIS GAME
  2. Sep 21, 2012
    Awesome awesome game from Runic. Everything that D3 could have been but never was. I would have given it 9.5 out of 10, because no game is perfect. But I can't give halves on Metacritic and TL2 doesn't deserve only 9/10 so I had to give it 10/10.

There were some launch issues, but those were resolved within 24 hours by the dedicated team from Runic Games! Even with the launch issues I was still able to play single-player and LAN perfectly.

The guys from Runic Games deserve all the support they can get. They are just the nicest people you will ever find developing games! They listen to what their customers say, and actually play the game and change it until it is fun!

The result is a 10/10 TL2, and the best thing is you can get it for only $20.
  3. Sep 21, 2012
    Made by the folks who know how to make ARPGs (D1 & D2) Torchlight 2 is the living successor to these games (unlike one which shares the same name). It keeps to the tradition of action role playing games and absolutely delivers. If you are looking for an ARPG that has a loot and game play system derived on fun rather than a real money auction house, this is the game for you.
  4. Dec 28, 2012
    I can't really properly put down what this game makes me feel I'm just going to have to do my best but frankly, it's hard for me to really get into it at length because I start missing the game and wanting to go back to it, so this will be an emotional reaction review more than a technical one. I only have one major gripe with the game and that involves the story. It needs a bit moreI can't really properly put down what this game makes me feel I'm just going to have to do my best but frankly, it's hard for me to really get into it at length because I start missing the game and wanting to go back to it, so this will be an emotional reaction review more than a technical one. I only have one major gripe with the game and that involves the story. It needs a bit more warmth, there's some definite lore overload going on and while it's great to learn about this fantastic new world they've created, most of the characters lack personality and it feels like i'm talking to walking,talking encyclopedias/politicians at times.

That's it, though. Everything else...it's amazing.The best way I can compare my feelings about this game is by comparing it to how I felt playing Diablo III. This game in many ways is the total opposite of that game. Despite DIablo III having a flawed story, many of the characters had a surprising amount of personality. Diablo III has a lot of really amazing art yet in the areas where it really needed to look amazing, it doesn't, it falls flat. Torchlight II has that Don Bluth/Disney animation style-the game looks like Titan AE/Treasure Planet by way of Heavy Metal with some Rock & Rule tossed in for good measure-yet there are some areas where you can tell they stepped up their game and pulled out all the stops in order to blow you away with pure mood. Despite stuff being low poly everything fits and there are some set pieces that make me marvel at how they've managed to pull off so much randomization while managing to keep everything cohesive.

The skills and stats are accessible and fun. I'm in love with my berserker. I honestly haven't had this much fun playing a character in a very long time. I loved Diablo II, loved my necromancer but my femzerker blows him away. She's spunky, has a ton of attitude and it's crazy that you can throw together so many different combinations of skills (I've chosen skills based on the background story I came up with for her) and still have them work in elite.

So, back to the whole D3 thing, yeah, when D3 came out I discovered that I had been waiting for a sequel for years. Diablo II was a very special game to me. I discovered it the same year I first fell in love. As much as I tried to keep my expectations low, despite not getting the game because i know it wasnt going to be anything like what I had hoped it was going to be, it was stick shocking and jarring to play through the game after being given it as a gift.

I was depressed. I knew going in that it might let me down but it was just...sad, and it was sad because I could tell that it would have taken so very little for it to have been better than it was. As crushed as I was, as let down, as sad as I was...that's how happy i've been playing this game. I walked into Torchlight II with very lowered expectations. Despite having played beta and despite having a lot of faith in Runic, I was scared. I hope Runic can understand. I was scared to let myself really believe.

So when that first surprise challenge threw me into a section of map I couldn't get out of without poisoning a bunch of spider spawners that kept throwing hordes of baby spiders at me, causing me to have to run around while freaking out omg omg omg spiders! gotta kill em gotta kill em damn damn damn whats this? Oh! grab the potion, poison the spider pits, run back grab another one poison another pit damn damn so many fuuuuuuuuuuu ok ok got it got it finsh em off GOOD DOG! GO BOY! wooooo spectral hound, backin his buddy up YES YES F**K YOU, SPIDERS! whoa...ok, um, spider mom and dad just ate all the babies and disappeared...oooo k HOLY F**K MY SCREEN IS COVERED IN LOOT OMG.

Yeah. My jaw dropped and I actually started crying tears of joy. I realized then and there that it was ok, I could fall in love with this game and I have-and i'm only in act II. So much of the stuff people told them about in beta has been polished up. This game...this game might just be everything many of us are expecting it to be. While i'm sure it's not perfect (I did mention my thoughts about the writing-sorry JD), it gets it right so often, you won't care and when it does it right-again, which it does a lot-it does it so damn right.

This game is good. Really, really good. This game...is amazing. Thank you, Runic. Good job. Note-I wrote this just after the game was released. It's now three months later and while a lot of my initial excitement has gone down, the game is still fun and hasn't really gotten boring, I just have lots of new games that have captured my attention but I still play, and will continue to for a long time to come. -Zid
  5. Sep 21, 2012
    BEST GAME EVER 10/10, just because this game makes one thing that D... III didn't make after sometime: FUN!

Seriously, this is a pretty awesome game, and for 20 bucks it's worth it!
  6. Sep 21, 2012
    Amazing game, i cant stop play it. Absolutly better then Diablo 3. I hope Torchlight 2 will be a "second diablo 2". And i create account on metacritic special for write this. Just love that game :)
  7. Sep 21, 2012
    Wow, game has surpassed my expectations, proper rpg, don't waste your money on D3 like I did,
    this game was made for gamers.
    -RANDOM WORLD
    -LOOT, LOOT ,LOOT.
    -NO DRM
    -OFFLINE so hardcore here I come.
  8. Sep 21, 2012
    This is the best dungeon crawler game ever. As much as I like the first Torchlight, this one is a great sequel. I've been waiting for this game since it was first revealed. It's much better than Diablo 3. Stop hating this game just because your save game was deleted for the beta. It was a beta release not the final release. Stop whining and buy the game.
  9. Oct 12, 2012
    What diablo 3 should have been. Local lan support, no stupid blizzard drm, reasonably prized, no cash auction house. 10 out of 10 and a huge jump in quality and polish from the prev one
  10. Nov 9, 2012
    This is a fun distraction and graphics are decent. It is essentially Diablo without all the nonesense that plagued D3 but lacks any real story and there are few to no rewarding cut scenes. Despite being a click fest and item management game it is addictive and fun. The soundtrack is almost identical to D2 and so it definitely brings out a pang of nostalgia. Its easy to lose time in theThis is a fun distraction and graphics are decent. It is essentially Diablo without all the nonesense that plagued D3 but lacks any real story and there are few to no rewarding cut scenes. Despite being a click fest and item management game it is addictive and fun. The soundtrack is almost identical to D2 and so it definitely brings out a pang of nostalgia. Its easy to lose time in the game though and as a diversion from more serious games that require attention and skill it is a perfect relaxation game. Expand
  11. Sep 21, 2012
    Fast paced, builds, gear, hell my first item drop was an upgrade. Fast leveling, amazing run speed and skills. About a billion times more fun and entertaining than any other arpg. Start on veteran! Far more challenging
  12. Sep 21, 2012
    Nothing to say but this: This game is what Diablo III should have shown into public instead of RMAH centric slot machine loot system. It brought back the actual 'Fun' factor with fast pace combat, not so easy difficulty, load of loots, interesting skill system and combat mechanics. Graphics wise, it cannot be matched to multi-hundred-million budget games but keeping up par with cartoon-ishNothing to say but this: This game is what Diablo III should have shown into public instead of RMAH centric slot machine loot system. It brought back the actual 'Fun' factor with fast pace combat, not so easy difficulty, load of loots, interesting skill system and combat mechanics. Graphics wise, it cannot be matched to multi-hundred-million budget games but keeping up par with cartoon-ish art. In short, Runic Games was able to match the hype. Of course, you can get everything with $20!!! One more thing: you can actually customize your character, which is actually 'first' in ARPG genre. Expand
  13. Sep 21, 2012
    Torchlight 2 is a fantastic game. Since becoming disgusted with how the Diablo franchise had been IMO butchered by Blizzard, I started looking for a new ARPG along the lines of the original Diablo and Diablo 2. I heard from a lot of people that Torchlight was the game that I was looking for. I started playing the first game about 3 months ago and loved it. It felt like I was back in theTorchlight 2 is a fantastic game. Since becoming disgusted with how the Diablo franchise had been IMO butchered by Blizzard, I started looking for a new ARPG along the lines of the original Diablo and Diablo 2. I heard from a lot of people that Torchlight was the game that I was looking for. I started playing the first game about 3 months ago and loved it. It felt like I was back in the same genre at Diablo 2. The itemization, the fluidity of combat...the music. Everything felt right. I marathoned it, beat the game in about a week, and immediately pre-ordered Torchlight 2. Torchlight 2 has not disappointed at all. Besides having a little trouble in the beginning with my GPU
    (heads up to anyone with an Nvidia Optimus GPU, your computer will most likely auto-select the integrated card for this game, and I had to manually switch it to the Nvidia to improve performance), I haven't had any problems with running the game, or performance issues. So, to begin with, the items in TL2 are great. I've found several uniques and sets already, including a totally amazing shotgun that casts a full health spell and glacial fissure spell about 5% of the time on hit, among other things. I also found an interesting bow that had an attribute called augmentation. The description said that the bow upgraded, after you killed 10 elites with it. Really interesting mechanic.

The story is nothing special really so far, but in an ARPG that's pretty normal. I like to focus on the action and looting mostly anyway. The sidequests are pretty entertaining, though.Also you're not forced to repeat the same quest events over and over again, as you can pick your difficulty initially, so that's nice, too. I find the artistic style of the game to be similar to Diablo 3, strangely. It didn't really bother me to much, as I wasn't expecting anything dark and gritty (I have Path of Exile for that) ;) If you are looking for a Diablo 2 graphical styling this may not be to your liking, but the game is open to modding, and definitely don't write the game off just because of the graphics. Matt Uelmen's music for the game is exceptional, as usual. He sets a great tone for the action. The sound effects are excellent, too. I was impressed to hear realistic sound of the snow crunching under my characters feet, in the second area of Act I. The Runic devs also made updates to the Pet system. I like how they have items like collars and tags, specifically for your pets to equip, and I LOVE that pets can now go back to town and by potions for you. This is extremely convenient, and just lets you get in the groove of the hack n' slash, without worrying about portals and unloading, too much. The skill system has received some improvements from the first Torchlight, too. I was a bit concerned to hear that they were adding a respec system (I prefer the old-school type of ARPG with no respecs), but this addition only pertains to the last three skills added, and you have to pay for the respecs. I didn't find this system to be that big of a deal, because of the deterrents in place. The skills also have different tiers every five levels that improve and add effects to the skills, as you put more points in them. I think this was a great idea, as it makes most all of the skills viable, for some type of build. Anyway, I think this is a really solid game, and I would recommend it to anyone who like RPG's or ARPG's. You can't beat a current game selling for 20 bucks :)
  14. Sep 21, 2012
    Best ARPG in years, no doubt about it ! The game is fast, smooth an very fun to play. It has all the classic elements that Diablo set in stone and a lot more. Plenty of character customisation. Great loot diversity. Fast paced action. Big and engaging world. True randomised levels and so on and all of this just for
    20 bucks. There's really no reason not to try it. You won't regret it !
  15. Sep 26, 2012
    What more needs to be said? The launch was flawless, other than the fact that their website was hit with so much traffic due to people registering for accounts, and as a result, many people weren't able to register and play online. Those that were able to register before the mayhem started were able to play online. But this was only a minor inconvenience in reality. Why? Torchlight II hadWhat more needs to be said? The launch was flawless, other than the fact that their website was hit with so much traffic due to people registering for accounts, and as a result, many people weren't able to register and play online. Those that were able to register before the mayhem started were able to play online. But this was only a minor inconvenience in reality. Why? Torchlight II had single player available at launch, as their previous title had. Not only that, but the characters on single player are linked to those you use on the internet, so even if you weren't able to play online the day of release, no time was lost!

If you like ARPG's, a number of the people at Runic Games came from a more known company: Blizzard North, who was behind Diablo 1 and Diablo 2. Needless to say, Torchlight II fits the bill of a superb ARPG, as to be expected from former Blizzard North employees.

The people at Runic know how to make an ARPG. They don't try to force a story-line on you. They don't repeatedly nerf/buff in the name of balance, because an ARPG is not all about balance. They don't release "new" items with the same exact bland affixes and call them new.

Other companies, mainly Blizzard (I like to call them Blizzard South still), are trying to morph the ARPG genre into a more MMORPG style where content is released in tiers, players and monsters are constantly balanced around one another, and items are based off of primary stats and weapon DPS. This is not the case whatsoever with Torchlight II, they have shown time and again that they are sticking to their roots with ARPG's, and I don't foresee that changing any time in the near future.
  16. Sep 22, 2012
    20 dollars for a game that will provide hundreds of hours of fun. Sounds like a good deal to me. They took everything that was great in D2 and Torchlight and added to it. If only D3 would have done this. Great job Runic! ignore other reviews saying "this game is too easy." I've been playing on ELITE with a berserker and it is very hard.
  17. Sep 24, 2012
    This is an amazing game. It is astounding how talented the Runic Games team is. Even without Blizzards money they managed to create such a great game. I can not fault it in any way. I am not saying it is the perfect game, it's just so quite and solid as far as gameplay goes that you forget to look for flaws. I will be giving this game a 10 out of 10. It deserves it.
  18. Sep 21, 2012
    This game is fabolous. Perfect hack&slash arpg. Not really really open world like skyrim but it is very good compared to TL and definetely ten times better than diablo 3. I think it is a killer!

@Rainfall: Beta was a beta, nothing is lost and the game does not crash for me. No crash after already 10 hours gameplay.
  19. Nov 2, 2012
    This game is amazing, is what all fans of diablo (yes i'm quoting diablo here cuz diablo3 was such a let down) been expecting. Is amazingly fun, and it actually has loot!! really polished and i really dig all about the game. There is so much to do and so much options to build your character that you'll never be bored.
    And for 20 bucks is a steal, and i'm sure there will be some steam sale
    And for 20 bucks is a steal, and i'm sure there will be some steam sale around the corner soon. So no excuse to not buying it, if you are into rpg and you liked diablo 1 and 2 you definitely should get torchlight 2.
  20. Oct 13, 2012
    Torchlight II, the $20 game that outshines your $60/per game collection by a long shot. Runic games once again proves they are a major player when it comes to creating an amazing game that the gamers WANT. Every tiny detail in Torchlight II is masterfully created and fine tuned. The scenery is gorgeous, the graphics are stylish and flush, and the gameplay speaks to you in a way that get'sTorchlight II, the $20 game that outshines your $60/per game collection by a long shot. Runic games once again proves they are a major player when it comes to creating an amazing game that the gamers WANT. Every tiny detail in Torchlight II is masterfully created and fine tuned. The scenery is gorgeous, the graphics are stylish and flush, and the gameplay speaks to you in a way that get's your mojo flowing.. if you know what I mean. This game is not for people with slow reaction times or people with weak arms. You'll be gloriously hyper-clicking your heart away as you evade and damage your enemies with lightning fast maneuverability abilities. Each class to choose from comes packed with amazing spells and such, and there's no limit to what you can create. Each character class is fully attributable in customization and each class has 3 unique talent trees to fill out over the course of level 1-100. Beating the game means nothing, Mapworks provides you with a map vendor who sells you dungeon scrolls to keep slaying baddies and stocking up that loot. Game getting to easy? No problem, hop into 6 player online co-op and start getting your face rolled on Elite Difficulty (Hardcore YOLO mode optional) or start the New Game+ mode where you re-roll the game map to randomize it a little and start the single player story over again, this time the monsters are stronger and you get to keep your stats and gear to bring them down again for even more powerful items. It's a joyous experience this entire game, the almost near perfect score I give this game suffers from only 1 thing, and that is the lackluster storytelling. While many Torchlight 1 fans will follow through the storytelling without too much confusion, there's much left open to anyone who's never traversed the lands of Torchlight. This game is huge.. and by huge I mean REALLY REALLY BIG. Every nook and cranny should be explored, there's hundreds of secret rooms, easter eggs, and unique items just waiting to be found. Keep a keen eye on everything, you won't be disappointed when you realize you can in fact put that lotion in the bucket and receive a Buffalo Bill parody mask. Seriously, why are you still reading this mini review? Go buy the game already! Okay, so more information.. this game is filled to the brim with loot, and that's not a bad thing. Items are already identified if they are worse than the gear you already have equipped. This is so you know that when you pick something special up and have to identify it you know it's got some worth. You get a pet, you can choose between hawks, dogs, cats, panthers, ferrets, whatever. Your pet is your go to guy, he/she can hold your excess loot, haul it back to town for you and sell it, and even bring you some potions/scrolls if you want to make a shopping list for him. Hell, the only time you ever really need to go back to town is when your inventory is filled with super rares and gems. I'm a little bit of a Torchlight fanboy, I'll admit that.. but I have every reason to be after the disaster D3 was. The original creators of Diablo 1 and 2 are the same people who made Torchlight. We all love D2 right? Exactly, now go let Runic take your money. If this game disappoints you, you have no soul... this is the spiritual successor of the Diablo franchise. Support game companies like Runic, they are the future of keeping games made for gamers. Expand
  21. Sep 20, 2012
    This game is just amazing. All I was hoping for D3 to be. The only thing that bothers me a little bit is the very colorful and cartoonish graphics style. But at the end it's a wonderful world with much at least as much sense to details as D3. So only a matter of taste and not of quality.

So at least for me at the moment pretty much the most perfect arpg on the market. And if some shortcomings should rise in the the future, I'm sure the modding community will handle it :)

If you like PLAYING arpgs then consider to buy it. More than enough value for 20 bucks ....
  22. Sep 20, 2012
    Great game, the classes are unique, the music is very good, sounding like the original Diablo music. The combat has some cool things about it too, for instance there are hand cannons and shot guns that actually do ranged AoE damage, and if you're dual wielding you have a chance to strike with both weapons at once. It's a must buy for any fan of Diablo, and it's a bargain at only $20. ItGreat game, the classes are unique, the music is very good, sounding like the original Diablo music. The combat has some cool things about it too, for instance there are hand cannons and shot guns that actually do ranged AoE damage, and if you're dual wielding you have a chance to strike with both weapons at once. It's a must buy for any fan of Diablo, and it's a bargain at only $20. It has multiplayer, lan or internet, more modding capabilities, a lot of pets to choose from. Expand
  23. Sep 21, 2012
    Just awesome. I do not know how to express my satisfaction. It was first time in a LONG time that when i play a game my eyebrows go SO HIGH! I was surprised in a good way and every part so far is just fantastic.
  24. Sep 21, 2012
    One of the games you can't really comment on ... Why? Everything about Torchlight II is great, so no need to name things. With modding and coop added, it will be fun for years to come. And I mean real fun, not the mindless utterly boring paradoxical linear grind like in D3.
  25. Sep 21, 2012
    Having played this game for a while now, I'm impressed with the game's improvements over its predecessor. Really rich environments, content and quests. The classes seem very well thought as well, I'm not sure about balance yet. The cutscenes are awful, but this does not affect my game experience.
  26. Sep 21, 2012
    This is the ARPG of 2012. Torchlight 2 has vastly improved over everything that was in Torchlight 1, With the mod tools, online and offline play, and an evolving world, the game is begging to be replayed over and over again. For $20, you cannot find a better ARPG.
  27. Sep 27, 2012
    It's a sequel, but it is a proper sequel. More characters, more animals, more of an open world, more stats, more abilities... more more more. There is nothing really new or inventive about the game, it is just a great sequel for Torchlight. If you liked Torchlight you will like this.
  28. Sep 22, 2012
    After the huge let down Diablo 3 was, especially when it was obvious your are herded towards using Real Money to finish the game, either that or 100's of borring, tedius hours farming the same area. Not to mention no stats; no skill points; and not even letting your character's name show (only your "bar code" shows, talk about a corporate thing to do). Torchlight II is everything D3After the huge let down Diablo 3 was, especially when it was obvious your are herded towards using Real Money to finish the game, either that or 100's of borring, tedius hours farming the same area. Not to mention no stats; no skill points; and not even letting your character's name show (only your "bar code" shows, talk about a corporate thing to do). Torchlight II is everything D3 should have been. 1/3rd the price and 30 times more fun. :)

You can tell is was made by gamers, for gamers, not by CEOs like D3 was.
  29. Sep 21, 2012
    Is it better than Diablo 3? Yes. Is it cheaper than Diablo 3? Yes. Do you get more for your money than Diablo 3? Yes. The art style is subject to taste and the story is probably even less coherent than Diablo 3, but lets be honest, nobody really plays games like this for it's story. It's a hack 'n slash isometric game and the best one released so far this year.
  30. Sep 21, 2012
    This is a fantastic game. I am playing as a mage and I am having more fun than I did in Diablo 3. Great graphics and addictive gameplay. A great value for just $20. The developers have promised free DLC, buy th
    is game and support the developers. This game is a lot of fun in multiplayer. This game gets a 9 because the story elements in the game are lacking. If this game had a better story it would be a masterpiece. Buy this game you will not be disappointed.
  31. Sep 24, 2012
    This is exactly what Diablo III should have been. It's a hundred times better and anyone who says otherwise has obviously never played the game - twenty dollars, full modding support, offline play, a legitimate class system, and you actually get to choose your skills. That alone should be enough to buy this game.
  32. Oct 10, 2012
    I didn't play TL1 to any great extent. In fact, it was quite boring and repetetive. I kept an eye on Runic's plans for TL2 as they looked to be quite ambitious in comparison to the first entry of this series. I didn't take part in any beta events, and I bought the game on day one of release.........................I think the main point of focus when looking at TL2 is it's price vsI didn't play TL1 to any great extent. In fact, it was quite boring and repetetive. I kept an eye on Runic's plans for TL2 as they looked to be quite ambitious in comparison to the first entry of this series. I didn't take part in any beta events, and I bought the game on day one of release.........................I think the main point of focus when looking at TL2 is it's price vs product. For £15 it offers up a well polished game. Many will compare it to Diablo 3, which for my money, Blizzard failed to deliver anything like what I'd hoped, and if you are compelled to compare the two, then the first port of call is on loot. D3 absolutely failed on loot throughout it's entirety, and TL2 is the complete opposite. Plenty of loot drops that are relevant to your level and character...................Graphically TL2 has a less realistic feel to it, and is, strangely enough more comparable with Warcraft games. It is probably a required taste, but you soon lose yourself inside the game's various areas and dungeons......................As far as gameplay is concerned, well it's pretty standard fare for this genre, and I'd say gamers of any level can easily pick it up and play. As far as combat goes, it's pretty simple, and is probably where it lets itself down - but only slightly. Pretty much everything i've encountered so far on my Engineer is simply a case of spamming and running, but then again, I'm only about 10 hours or so into the game. Maybe later on, or on a more difficult setting everything might get ramped up - or might require some thought into how to defeat the bosses..................Finally, co-op play. For a game to include this at this price is quite rare, and a definate plus for Runic games' reputation. I've only tried it a couple of times, but it worked fine for me, and when you think back to only last year with Dungeon Siege 3 - which was a full priced supposed AAA title, where you had to stay in a limited area on the same screen as your compadres, how Runic have implemented it how they have on such a small budget shoud really make some developers sit back and rethink there approach as to what gamers want. If you deliver cr*p, then gamers will remember and speak with their wallets next time around - ie: they won't buy....................................So, TL:DR - TL2 is a welcome addition in the genre, something that I think I could put alongside Titan Quest as a winner in this genre....... Buy it - you won't be disappointed. Expand
  33. Nov 7, 2012
    Fantastische game. Dit is zoals Diablo 3 had moeten zijn , sterker nog, dit is diablo 3 voor mij. Geen flauwekul voor online hoeven spelen of een auctionhouse element die de maandelijkse kosten van de servers hiervoor moet bekostigen. In dit spel zijn de sterke spelelementen van Diablo II in tact gelaten en de wat zwakkere elementen van deel 2 verbeterd. Klasse spel!!
  34. Oct 26, 2012
    This game is very similar to Diablo 2, but more fast paced - different style of graphics and takes place in a different world. Multiplayer is expanded but there are a lot of connectivity issues in games, especially for parties 4 and more. Skill and stat point mapping is the exact similar to D2 but it's a lot easier to get unique items and thus makes it more fun to play. Shared stashThis game is very similar to Diablo 2, but more fast paced - different style of graphics and takes place in a different world. Multiplayer is expanded but there are a lot of connectivity issues in games, especially for parties 4 and more. Skill and stat point mapping is the exact similar to D2 but it's a lot easier to get unique items and thus makes it more fun to play. Shared stash between your characters ensures that every item you find is useful and encourages you to play all 4 classes. The game's 'veteran' difficulty should really be the 'normal', and the 'elite' would be very hard. Anything under veteran is much too easy. Scaling of difficulty is a bit extreme. There are some issues with the balance of skills and classes as well. Not every build is feasible to use in elite. The story is non existent, as should be expected (it's really not that type of game.) It's a game where you mindlessly kill things and get loot and to try out different builds using stat/skill allocations. For 20 bucks the game is fair and not too expensive to play. You'll probably get bored of it after finishing the game story for 4 classes, regardless of difficulty - unless you are looking to beat the game on elite for all 4 classes. Just an FYI, outlander and embermage are extremely overpowered when compared to engineer and berserker based on the current patch. Buy it if you want to kill some time with a relatively fun (but short lived game). Expand
  35. Oct 12, 2012
    Overall I feel that this game is a well-polished version of the first game. The technical aspects are all perfect. No obvious bugs or quirks, incredibly smooth and solid gameplay. All of the 'little things' were tended to.
    I was hoping for a little more graphical improvement. The graphics were definitely smoothed out and the effects are more detailed than before. Personally the art style isn't really my cup of tea. I don't mind 'artistic' renderings but everything seems like a Disney cartoon with a few splotches of blood thrown in the mix. The women are rather scantily dressed but they look like little kids with cleavage. I say keep the art but make it look more like a dungeon crawler theme. I mean the game is based on wandering around and murdering everything in sight.
    I have enjoyed it but after reaching level 40 I don't feel inclined to continue on. The story is incredibly weak and the characters are completely forgettable. I have almost no connection to the hero under my control. In the end though I am giving this game a high rating because technically speaking it was delivered to me perfect. So far there have been 3 updates all of which have fixed problems I never experienced or adjusted some gameplay mechanics. And the best part for Runic is that they only charged me $20. Last year I was raped by Rage and Skyrim having paid full price for pre-orders; games I bought blindly because I had followed the developers since the beginning and had always been thoroughly amazed with their games. Is Torchlight 2 amazing?
  36. Oct 30, 2012
    This game is the true Diablo II successor that is all there is to it, made by the same guys who led Diablo II, the game is fun with a lot of replayability is only $20, I don't regret buying Diablo III but I am more hooked and had more fun with this game
  37. Oct 8, 2012
    If you don't know what to do, i tell you, PLAY THIS GAME, it is pretty awesome, the graphics, the characters, the action, the music, everything is AWESOME, just AWESOME, i made a "OutLander" and God, i really want to play this all the day, i really really really enjoy this game. Play It, You'll Love IT!
  38. Oct 13, 2012
    Damn, get this, for $19 its the best duckets you will ever spend... D3 for $60 ...hehe RIP!! If you are a big fan of titan quest and any Diablo title, torchlight 2 will blow you away....period!
  39. Nov 18, 2012
    If you're curious about the negative rating on here - given before anybody but the lucky press (who have all had nothing but positive things to say) - it's called 'Blizzard Buyer's Remorse'. Silly rabbit, you can own both games. One doesn't have to be bad for you to feed good. Anyway, if you like aRPG's, there's no need to convince you with a long blob of text. This game will confid
  40. Sep 25, 2012
    Diablo 3 and TL2 are very different games and I find myself playing both of them. TL2 is single player that will not have a community driven economy (officially said on forums by devs). I find this to be the single biggest reason I don't see myself playing TL2 nearly as long as Diablo. On the other hand I find myself more involved and engrossed in my character, instead of having genericDiablo 3 and TL2 are very different games and I find myself playing both of them. TL2 is single player that will not have a community driven economy (officially said on forums by devs). I find this to be the single biggest reason I don't see myself playing TL2 nearly as long as Diablo. On the other hand I find myself more involved and engrossed in my character, instead of having generic similar builds I can build my character how I want and also have the choice of a few hair/facial options not a prebuilt character. D3 isn't > TL2, TL2 isn't > D3...they are different and both fun in their own way. TL2 is definitely worth the 20 bucks it costs Expand
  41. Sep 22, 2012
    I own both D3 and TL2 and having played both exstensively I can tell you hands down TL2 is easily the better game here. My only real gripe is the graphics are meh and D3 looks 10X better BUT the gameplay is just so much more fun in TL2 i am able to overlook the dated graphics and horrible initial character customization. This truly is what D3 should have been.
  42. Sep 24, 2012
    Lets get the obvious first, Torchlight II is the greatest action RPG of all time and maybe the best game ever made. Do not mind the Diablo fanboy reviews seen here on Metacritic, they cannot stand that 20$ game developed by few guys at Runic could deliver a masterpiece like Torchlight II. So, what exactly is so good in Torchlight 2, well the answer would be everything. The gameplay isLets get the obvious first, Torchlight II is the greatest action RPG of all time and maybe the best game ever made. Do not mind the Diablo fanboy reviews seen here on Metacritic, they cannot stand that 20$ game developed by few guys at Runic could deliver a masterpiece like Torchlight II. So, what exactly is so good in Torchlight 2, well the answer would be everything. The gameplay is perfect, the balance is perfect, the pace is perfect. The game simply is perfect. Expand
  43. Sep 22, 2012
    The game is great, but it's not excellent. Definitely a refreshing experience, after the trainwreck that was Diablo 3. The combat is fun, the itemization is interesting, the classes are neat. Overall it's a good game, incredible music too. There are just a wide range of small complaints I have, which by themselves are only minor-annoyances, but when put together it can be a real damper onThe game is great, but it's not excellent. Definitely a refreshing experience, after the trainwreck that was Diablo 3. The combat is fun, the itemization is interesting, the classes are neat. Overall it's a good game, incredible music too. There are just a wide range of small complaints I have, which by themselves are only minor-annoyances, but when put together it can be a real damper on your experience. The biggest issue is that the hitboxes for monsters and items are way too big; when you try to move, you often end up attacking instead and it can cause a lot of accidental deaths. Attacking up/down cliffs is also awkward, and you never know what's gonna block your shots. The game engine feels poorly designed. Other than that, the game is loads of fun. No DRM, great game for LAN parties and online alike. Expand
  44. Sep 28, 2012
    I really can't find much wrong with this game but it just doesn't draw me in. I like the art style but just feel like all I'm doing is mindlessly clicking.
  45. Oct 22, 2012
    Finally a true successor of Diablo2 ! This game should be officially call Diablo 3, perfect game play, customization attribute and skill combination,and u can choose offline or online play, no fuxking real $$ AH, if u want some good gear in D3, jus pay from yr pocket, but in TL2, you'll jus need to spend more enjoying time to play the game! The only things that some people will complainFinally a true successor of Diablo2 ! This game should be officially call Diablo 3, perfect game play, customization attribute and skill combination,and u can choose offline or online play, no fuxking real $$ AH, if u want some good gear in D3, jus pay from yr pocket, but in TL2, you'll jus need to spend more enjoying time to play the game! The only things that some people will complain definitely is the cartoonish graphic , but know this, this is call ''Torchlight style''! Are u going to tell me that all the game have cartoonish graphic is sucks ? Reasonable? Expand
  46. Oct 22, 2012
    I am really not sure why it is getting so many great reviews, the game play is nothing special the loot is all ok but not great. Sure this is an above average game but it is no 9 or 10.

If you never played the first Torchlight then try this one, if you have played the first one I think you might be in for a let down. On the plus side it is cheap :)
  47. Oct 6, 2012
    A top-down dungeon crawling rpg that's an improvement on the original. Most combat skills play off of one another, (I.E. one will perform fire damage while another increases fire damage you do). Loot rains down by the chestfulls, and the game likes to stick in references to things like Minecraft and Skyrim. There is, however, a huge limitation on respecing abilities, which forces,A top-down dungeon crawling rpg that's an improvement on the original. Most combat skills play off of one another, (I.E. one will perform fire damage while another increases fire damage you do). Loot rains down by the chestfulls, and the game likes to stick in references to things like Minecraft and Skyrim. There is, however, a huge limitation on respecing abilities, which forces, rather than encourages, replay. Multiplayer is also limited to other players who have the same level of "New Game" as you, meaning if you started up NG+, you can only play with others who have started NG+ as well. The gameplay is fun, and the environment interesting, though its story lacks depth, or sense at certain points. Collapse
  48. Sep 21, 2012
    This review is for UnbiasedAndFair. I completely agree with you. I will never forget the day Blizzard stole my $60. I also agree that there are far too many positive, seemingly generic reviews on here to seem legit... Really Runic, you didn't need to do this. Either way, I've only been playing for only one day now, but truly it seems wherever D3 burned us, they got it right. TheThis review is for UnbiasedAndFair. I completely agree with you. I will never forget the day Blizzard stole my $60. I also agree that there are far too many positive, seemingly generic reviews on here to seem legit... Really Runic, you didn't need to do this. Either way, I've only been playing for only one day now, but truly it seems wherever D3 burned us, they got it right. The graphics are inferior, no doubt, but I would gladly trade that for the real successor to Diablo 2, and so far Torchlight II seems to come the closest to that mark. I give it a 8/10 cause few games deserve solid 10's and this game is no exception, but easily worth $19.99. Expand
  49. Sep 22, 2012
    This game is wonderful and perfect in every single way, I am truly amazed by how much the things improved after the first part, the multiplayer is the real thing to add. I'd like to "resolve" a few rather stupid comments I saw in reviews, which are: The game is not easy, don't be a weakling and play the game at Veteran or even harder, then come tell people that it's too easy. Also, no,This game is wonderful and perfect in every single way, I am truly amazed by how much the things improved after the first part, the multiplayer is the real thing to add. I'd like to "resolve" a few rather stupid comments I saw in reviews, which are: The game is not easy, don't be a weakling and play the game at Veteran or even harder, then come tell people that it's too easy. Also, no, Diablo 3 is absolutely pure crap compared to this title, and the negative reviews it received was from hardcore Diablo/Diablo 2 fans, while the brainless hipsters keep upvoting an obvious failure of a game. You can't even play D3 offline, for christ sakes, don't come talking it's better than Torchlight.
    Uninstall Diablo 3, and buy and play a game that wasn't built and developed purely for ripping people off for more and more money.
  50. Oct 7, 2012
    Very enjoyable. I've not tried playing online yet, but I am really enjoying single player. My only complaint is that higher difficulty levels don't up the AI factor, instead just increase enemy stats and reduce your own level, essentially forcing players to not only do all side-quests, but reach a point of being underleveled and needing to farm experience.
  51. Nov 22, 2012
    A customizable Diablo with cartoony graphics, not so great story line (if theres any), voice overs are really bad but the game is fun and definitely worth the price.
  52. Jan 27, 2013
    Diablo 3 done right. Very customization skill tree and equipment that actually make the game enjoyable. It is undoubtedly worth the low price it is going for.
  53. Jun 7, 2013
    If you're into loot hunt/character building games, this is probably the best thing to come out in over a decade. For those who have never played this type of game before, it's an action role playing game, where you have abilities bound to your left and right mouse button and a few keybinds on the keyboard. The action and controls are fairly straightforward so that really anyone can getIf you're into loot hunt/character building games, this is probably the best thing to come out in over a decade. For those who have never played this type of game before, it's an action role playing game, where you have abilities bound to your left and right mouse button and a few keybinds on the keyboard. The action and controls are fairly straightforward so that really anyone can get into it fairly easily.

You level your character up by doing quests, defeating monsters, mini bosses and bosses, and you choose new abilities as you level to customize your character's play-style. You will find increasingly awesome weapons, armor, spells, and armor enhancement gems as you progress through the game. You can customize your characters appearance to some degree, and even choose a pet from a variety of critters. There are open world areas to explore, with each area having a number of "dungeons" ,(towers, keeps, crypts, etc.).

The appeal to this genre of game comes primarily from what is known as the "loot hunt". As your character proceeds through the game's content, the monsters and bosses they defeat will drop increasingly powerful items for your character to use. Depending on what skills you have chosen for your character, you're going to want to hunt for specific items that compliment that play-style and make your specific character build more powerful. These types of games can provide thousands of hours of game play--if they get the character building and item finding aspects correct, which Torchlight 2 absolutely does. If you're the type that would be into building powerful fantasy characters as a hobby, this would be a great game for you.

To the ARPG vets who have not tried this game yet, I'm not sure what you're waiting for. For $20, TL2 is an absolute beast. Even at just level 20-30, you'll have various set item pieces, a unique or two, a slew of gems to socket, some random gear enchants, weapons with powerful procs, etc.. You can assign your stat points as you level, and each stat has multiple effects so you will benefit from more than just dumping everything into your primary stat. Your gear will be interesting and you'll have to do some decision making/theory crafting even at a fairly low level. Build variation is definitely here, a glaive Outlander and a pistol Outlander will want vastly different stat assignments and gear. Unconventional builds are viable, even on "elite" setting, so long as you're willing to farm up the necessary gear and socketables. I've seen someone take a melee class and make an elite viable ranged dual pistol build.

For those of you who want a challenge, even with great gear the elite setting in the later game modes will still get you one-shot on occasion, so playing a hardcore will get your heart rate up. The loot in this game is plentiful. I've been playing for 2 months and I've got a bunch of various gear sets and weapons in multiple stashes for different classes across various levels. That being said, you will still have to invest time to get the absolute best of the best--at 215 hours into the game I still only have one rare item, and only one character that could be considered close to "super geared" for end-game, (even that character needs vast improvement for NG5+ elite). Mechanically speaking, the game is sound--there are only a couple of skills in the game that I think could be reworked.

If you're letting the indie graphics stop you from trying this, I think you're making a huge mistake if you're a real ARPG/loot hunt fan
  54. Nov 23, 2012
    I liked the first one though after finishing the game once on hard I didn't really felt like playing anymore. Here I don't wanna play anymore after 10 hours... Maybe should've chosen another character... everything seems to be fine but nothing pulls me to this, it is not even a little bit addictive. I only played the first act of Diablo 3 and had much more fun with just that. So, overallyI liked the first one though after finishing the game once on hard I didn't really felt like playing anymore. Here I don't wanna play anymore after 10 hours... Maybe should've chosen another character... everything seems to be fine but nothing pulls me to this, it is not even a little bit addictive. I only played the first act of Diablo 3 and had much more fun with just that. So, overally a disapointment. Expand
  55. Dec 25, 2012
    Just picked this up the other week and I'd have to say it might be the most fun game I've played all year. I'm playing a fire "Embermage" who shoots flame spells and has a panther for a pet. The pets are nice because you can send them back to town to sell and buy things for you at vendors. You can also equip spells on your pet which they will cast in battle, so they end up being reallyJust picked this up the other week and I'd have to say it might be the most fun game I've played all year. I'm playing a fire "Embermage" who shoots flame spells and has a panther for a pet. The pets are nice because you can send them back to town to sell and buy things for you at vendors. You can also equip spells on your pet which they will cast in battle, so they end up being really helpful. The weapons and armor in Torchlight 2 are incredibly varied and I like the art work for them. The boss fights in this game are really well done, they feel like epic battles. In general I like the environments, although I would have liked to have seen one more Act, maybe in an expansion. The thing I like the most is the level of customization for your character. You can choose between various looks at the character creation screen, you can build them to use really whatever weapons you'd like, or shields. The game lets you play how you'd like to play. The play style seems to be fairly different for each character's spec, which is cool. The co-op is really fun and I believe supports up to 6 people in a game. The action is super smooth, I haven't had issues with the game stuttering or anything. For an indie game I'm really impressed at the level of polish, I haven't encountered any bugs that I can remember. Overall great game. Expand
  56. Apr 28, 2013
    Irrespective of my opinion of torchlight 2. First of all let me congratulate the developers for having offline and LAN play, i wish AAA publishers would still treat us with respect.

Now, why this game wasn't for me is because of the story. What story? You are right, there isn't any! And being a guy that likes story along with the gameplay aspect of the game, i was not very immersed in it.
    This game does so much right! But without a decent story and a narrative to drive it forward, i couldn't get into it (i played it single player though). And that pains me.

However if you are a person who plays with his/her friends in a co-op setting. You'll have definitely more fun that i did. Or if u don't care about this story.
    Like i said before this game does so much right an awesome class system, leveling up system (although it happened far less then i required it to happen :P), pets and there roles, unique art style and the combat system.
    All let down by the game's storyline.
    This is my honest opinion about the game. But if you are someone who doesn't care about a story and just wants to focus on the combat and leveling up his/her character then ignore this review and buy the game...seriously
  57. Sep 20, 2012
    The game itself is very fun, but I feel it's been adopted by a community of people that had no real intentions on a rounded out online experience. The game allows you to transition freely between single character and multiplayer, which is a complete disaster for a legitimate economy, which is one of the reasons I enjoyed the Diablo series so much. If you took this game and addedThe game itself is very fun, but I feel it's been adopted by a community of people that had no real intentions on a rounded out online experience. The game allows you to transition freely between single character and multiplayer, which is a complete disaster for a legitimate economy, which is one of the reasons I enjoyed the Diablo series so much. If you took this game and added closed/unhackable/unmoddable servers then it would be the game for me. It's just not and I have to be honest in saying I'm disappointed. I still like the closed realm design and removing that removed what I really wanted in this game. Has nothing to do with NOT BEING LIKE DIABLO, it's what I expect from ARPG games period. A legitimate online server system. It's not much to ask in 2012. Expand
  58. Sep 24, 2012
    yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

sss
  59. Apr 22, 2013
    It might be me, since I've not seen a game I'd call great in this genre for quite some time. T2 in my opinion fails in the same way the first one did. It's way too easy for the most part and it gets unbearably dull after five or so hours. I didn't finish it, I just decided to get off the treadmill after falling asleep a few times. Also, I've found performance lacking (even in singleIt might be me, since I've not seen a game I'd call great in this genre for quite some time. T2 in my opinion fails in the same way the first one did. It's way too easy for the most part and it gets unbearably dull after five or so hours. I didn't finish it, I just decided to get off the treadmill after falling asleep a few times. Also, I've found performance lacking (even in single player), which is hard to pardon given the visuals. Expand
  60. Dec 28, 2012
    Outstanding game for its genre. The game play, mechanics, and combat are all outstanding. If you are/were a fan of Diablo 2 then you owe it to yourself to give this a try. Whereas the graphics are not the photo-realism of modern games, I don't care a whit. I will take great game design over graphics any day of the week. And still, I don't mind the cartoony nature of the models, most of theOutstanding game for its genre. The game play, mechanics, and combat are all outstanding. If you are/were a fan of Diablo 2 then you owe it to yourself to give this a try. Whereas the graphics are not the photo-realism of modern games, I don't care a whit. I will take great game design over graphics any day of the week. And still, I don't mind the cartoony nature of the models, most of the environments look pretty good too. Seriously, don't waste your money on Diablo 3 (as I did..) - just load up Torchlight II and get clicking! Expand
  61. Mar 21, 2013
    A disappointing sequel to one of the best ARPGs I've played... I just got bored within a few hours of playing it. With Torchlight 1, I finished the game 4 times because it was so captivating and all the skills were so fun and unique. Torchlight 2 just doesn't feel as deep it's a bigger game, but not necessarily as captivating to one's imagination. The graphics are too distant, the storyA disappointing sequel to one of the best ARPGs I've played... I just got bored within a few hours of playing it. With Torchlight 1, I finished the game 4 times because it was so captivating and all the skills were so fun and unique. Torchlight 2 just doesn't feel as deep it's a bigger game, but not necessarily as captivating to one's imagination. The graphics are too distant, the story line's a bit monotonous and slow. The multiplayer is a big letdown when you do get a good game it's really not that different from single player... but I can see it work nicely if you've got some friends on it and playing together as a team. Expand
  62. Nov 20, 2012
    This is generally a good game, and if you liked the first version you'll definitely enjoy this one too. It does some things to improve on the first version, especially the diverse variety of locations (whereas in the first torchlight you just kept going deeper and deeper down in the same mine forever). The gameplay is basically the same as the first version, some minor improvements, butThis is generally a good game, and if you liked the first version you'll definitely enjoy this one too. It does some things to improve on the first version, especially the diverse variety of locations (whereas in the first torchlight you just kept going deeper and deeper down in the same mine forever). The gameplay is basically the same as the first version, some minor improvements, but essentially the same kinda feel to it. My two main criticisms with it are 1) the repetitive nature of the gameplay, there is little to no variety in the actual gameplay (kill monsters, collect loot, upgrade gear, sell inventory, repeat cycle thousands of times) and 2) the relative shallow nature of the actual storyline and character development, which makes for something that just isn't immersive enough for my taste.
    Overall, it's a relatively enjoyable romp for short spurts of time here and there (after an hour or so I tend to get bored with it, turn it off, then several days later turn it on for another hour or so), but nothing that I can really sink my teeth into with much succulence. If you loved the first one, you'll love this one even more. If you had mixed feelings about the first one, you'll probably have mixed feelings about this one too. If you have never played the first one, go buy this one and see if you like it- best case scenario you'll love it, worse case scenario you'll still think it worthy of it's low price tag.
  63. Nov 29, 2012
    i liked the first act aka the first part of the game a lot! but it gets repetitive! i rly liked that you don't have to go back to town with a portal to sell your stuff you can just send your pet and it can also buy stuff from the town for you but it would be nice to be able to just quickly press 1 button to give send all the normal items that are worse than your equipped items in every wayi liked the first act aka the first part of the game a lot! but it gets repetitive! i rly liked that you don't have to go back to town with a portal to sell your stuff you can just send your pet and it can also buy stuff from the town for you but it would be nice to be able to just quickly press 1 button to give send all the normal items that are worse than your equipped items in every way but that's just a minor complaint. i do find it strange that the pet can buy things for you that you can't buy form the town tough... i loved the combat first but not after long you constantly have to use potions witch const money to keep you alive. it's like the game is built around you constantly using hp potions in battle since they heal you over 8 sec and have a 0 sec cool down. that reminds me, most all of the abilities have no cool down time! that makes no sense! that means that there is no reason to learn new abilities rather than upgrading the once that you already know, except for the few ones that have like 2 sec stun or something like that but when i have those do little to no damage i don't see any big reason to use those in stead of my most powerful ability.
    some of the bosses have to much health compared the there damage. when i have killed all they're minions all i have to do is spam my attacks on him and use potions until he dies for like 40 sec! that's no fun! and my main character is an engineer and but i feel more like a tank! with a class called engineer he should have to rely at least 50% on his robots but there are only like 4 robots he can summon! a healer (that's actually pretty useful), a mini-fighter that's pretty useless and you can only use once per 3 min so i usually forget about him and than there is also mine robots and a big robot witch i haven't bought yet. but there are like 50+ skills you can buy and of those 50+ only 4 are actual robots! all the other are just magic, positive or fighting! why isn't this class called tank or warrior? that reminds me there are only 4 classes! there should be at least 6 or 8. there is just a mage, a gunner a fighter and a warrior (called engineer). i do rly enjoy this game but when there is no reason to buy new skills rather than upgrading the once you have it will get repetitive. they should put at least a 2-10 sec cool down on 98% of the skills and make them cost a bit more mana, add more classes and make the pet go to town faster and it would make a great torchlight 3. but this game has to many flaws so i can't give it more than a 6.
  64. i0n
    Sep 3, 2013
    A truly impressive title on it's own merits not to mention the incredibly low price this is definitely one for lovers of Diablo style gameplay. In all honesty however, I enjoyed Torchlight II a great deal more than the Blizzard title(s) and was taken aback by the pace, graphics, gameplay mechanics and replayability. This is what Diablo 3 should have been. Excellent work Runic Games.
  65. Jan 13, 2014
    game is really nice,but multiplayer really sucks,first i had to log in and log out several times so i and my friends can be on same server and play,we played 1 hour no problems then the lag problems started,sometimes me sometimes him,enemy just stand and dodnt attack or boss respawns 10 times,health is gone in 1 sec and no one attacks,i searched google and forums for solutions,its amazinggame is really nice,but multiplayer really sucks,first i had to log in and log out several times so i and my friends can be on same server and play,we played 1 hour no problems then the lag problems started,sometimes me sometimes him,enemy just stand and dodnt attack or boss respawns 10 times,health is gone in 1 sec and no one attacks,i searched google and forums for solutions,its amazing how many people have same problem and no solution Expand
  66. Dec 29, 2012
    Over-hyped over-rated over-scored in metacritic. This game is nothing more than a generic, boring 'action rpg' with TERRIBLE childish graphics and a really STUPID story. It looks and plays like a BAD kiddy-version of Diabolo 2. Indeed the visual art style would have been considered pretty terrible on a Nintendo 64 Mario Cart game back in 1999. I can only conclude that the many 10/10 scoresOver-hyped over-rated over-scored in metacritic. This game is nothing more than a generic, boring 'action rpg' with TERRIBLE childish graphics and a really STUPID story. It looks and plays like a BAD kiddy-version of Diabolo 2. Indeed the visual art style would have been considered pretty terrible on a Nintendo 64 Mario Cart game back in 1999. I can only conclude that the many 10/10 scores in here were written by Diabolo fans, venting against Diabolo 3. Yet they wrote their reviews without buying of playing this game. For all the many things Diabolo 3 got wrong it is a clearly superior, clearly superior game, to this POS which looks like it was designed for kindergarteners. One can also conclude, that sadly, a large proportion of the metacritic user population live in a fantasy realm and feel it is legitimate to hold and exercise strong opinions about games they haven't actually played. Gentlemen, you are WIERD. Expand
  67. Dec 13, 2012
    Way better than the original. Multiplayer has some issues and will require mods to fix... The devs probably think not receiving loot/exp/fame because you were dead when your friend killed a boss is a good idea. The loot system is also annoying, with everyone having their own drops client side which expands on the previous issue; you pretty much have to stick together as an aoe spamfestWay better than the original. Multiplayer has some issues and will require mods to fix... The devs probably think not receiving loot/exp/fame because you were dead when your friend killed a boss is a good idea. The loot system is also annoying, with everyone having their own drops client side which expands on the previous issue; you pretty much have to stick together as an aoe spamfest swarm in MP to play effectively. Barring the MP issues this is a fantastic and stable game. $20 for a 20 hour campaign between multiple continents and cities is well worth it, even without any friends to play with. Expand
  68. Oct 4, 2012
    Okay, so I had a weird start with this game, and I'm just here to amend my original review, which was a measly six. Now, my original issue was that the controls felt sluggish, and I still stand by that claim, but after about 10 hours or so, you get used to them... or perhaps you roll a class that feels good to you. Well, now I've done that, I've found the sword and board Engineer, and I'mOkay, so I had a weird start with this game, and I'm just here to amend my original review, which was a measly six. Now, my original issue was that the controls felt sluggish, and I still stand by that claim, but after about 10 hours or so, you get used to them... or perhaps you roll a class that feels good to you. Well, now I've done that, I've found the sword and board Engineer, and I'm have a ridiculous amount of fun here. The game is awesome. Just fun, fun fun fun. I've given up D3 in favor of this game, sad to say. The guys at Runic really understand what makes a game like this tick. It's the loot, mostly. :P And building a character is actually REALLY fun. Stat points! YEAH! Expand
  69. Nov 2, 2012
    The game deserves a 7/10. Giving it a 0 to counter all the people who just hate D3 (before writing a word about TL2 they rant about Diablo.)
    THE GOOD: The pet system is a lot better than the follower system in D3/D2, it is awesome to send them back to town and continue fighting and they can cast spells which is useful. The music in the game is fantastic and will be very familiar to anyone who has played Diablo 2 (Matt Uleman). The artwork is simple but well done and so are the animations. There is a lot to customize (stat points, skill points, jewels, spells, gear, enchanting, etc.)
    THE BAD:The story is beyond horrible (mostly just confusing nonsense). Skills are very hit and miss (some great, some pointless), the skill trees don't seem to be organized well and the player levels so often that the points feel less important. On that note the standard game only allows you to reset your last 3 skills which was a bad design decision (there are mods but players shouldn't have to "fix" the game). The loot is okay although the "unique" items aren't that impressive. The boss fights aren't really memorable and a lot of them were fairly easy. The game also crashed several times and had some issues when playing online.

OVERALL: Played through the game once and probably won't play it again. It has some serious design flaws and a terrible story. Nowhere near the level of DIablo 2, don't let these reviews fool you.
  70. Nov 22, 2012
    As with many games with exceptional ratings on metacritic I had very high hopes. Unfortunately TL2 did not deliver or appeal to my taste. TL2 felt very mindless, running around hacking and slashing, or shoot and casting in my class There wasn't very much intellectual stimulation or perhaps a challenge running through on veteran. Perhaps an incentive could be persuaded to play higherAs with many games with exceptional ratings on metacritic I had very high hopes. Unfortunately TL2 did not deliver or appeal to my taste. TL2 felt very mindless, running around hacking and slashing, or shoot and casting in my class There wasn't very much intellectual stimulation or perhaps a challenge running through on veteran. Perhaps an incentive could be persuaded to play higher difficulties such as better loot or faster exp. Apart from the enjoyment of continually gaining new gear which in itself is an factional incremental reward it was a game for me that I could no longer feel I would like to continue to play after 2 hours. Expand
  71. Feb 1, 2013
    As was the case with the first Torchlight, this is simply a ripoff of diablo 2 with a minor change or two. The graphics are unimpressive and I got bored within 30 minutes. Certainly not worth 20 bucks.
  72. Oct 7, 2012
    I think this looks exactly the same as torchlight I. The surroundings are constant, and I feel like what you're playing is the same dungeon over and over. And co-op isn't that funny with this game at all. The only thing keeping this game at some level of interest is the graphics. The spells can sometimes look kinda cool, but besides that, I find nothing good with this game. So yeah, like II think this looks exactly the same as torchlight I. The surroundings are constant, and I feel like what you're playing is the same dungeon over and over. And co-op isn't that funny with this game at all. The only thing keeping this game at some level of interest is the graphics. The spells can sometimes look kinda cool, but besides that, I find nothing good with this game. So yeah, like I said, this game contains no variety at all and the environment is non-changing. So if you want a game with just one dungeon, then feel free to buy this game. I want variety, that's why this game gets a 3/10. Expand
  73. Oct 18, 2012
    it looks like a game for 9 yrs olds wich makes the immersion impossible. this becomes multiplied in the moment when you realize that the story and characters are so uninterresting, that you dont even care about what you are doing there. the game fails to suck you into a living gameenviroment and so you dont care for the characters, you dont care for the story, you dont care for theit looks like a game for 9 yrs olds wich makes the immersion impossible. this becomes multiplied in the moment when you realize that the story and characters are so uninterresting, that you dont even care about what you are doing there. the game fails to suck you into a living gameenviroment and so you dont care for the characters, you dont care for the story, you dont care for the gameworld and after a very short time you stop caring about the game. Expand
  74. May 30, 2013
    Childish graphics poor gameplay too few classes Game crashing on co-op after every loading screen. Poor story as hell Tbh even Diablo 3 is better than this game and that game sucks too.
  75. Dec 9, 2012
    I felt that TL2 had potential but the lack of detail, story, interesting dialogues, things you can interact and mana restrictions just make it an average game. Enemies are not very interesting, there no is lore/backstory to them and it feels like a hack n slash with a really cut down core. What I did enjoy was the open style of the game and how I didn't feel very restricted. Playing withI felt that TL2 had potential but the lack of detail, story, interesting dialogues, things you can interact and mana restrictions just make it an average game. Enemies are not very interesting, there no is lore/backstory to them and it feels like a hack n slash with a really cut down core. What I did enjoy was the open style of the game and how I didn't feel very restricted. Playing with others was always fun, you're character would always be useful and you would always access some kind of support/team skills. The sounds and visuals are great and the stat mechanics are good. The big problem is that this game just doesn't provide large content outside of repetition, the whole hack n slash aspect isn't even particularly good and the game doesn't really leave you with memories. There are uniques for specific classes and if you're playing alone, all you'll do is recycle them because equipment which is valuable doesn't sell for anything and enchantments can result in a potentially great equip being mediocre unless you have tons of money. A lack of lore and dialogues seriously hampers this game and I felt they could of provided more. Each skill has a use and no skill is bad but using several skills decimates your mana and kind of ruins the fun, but wait, there are also abilites which are non-class specific which rape your mana even harder. And the hitboxes are just so frustrating at times, nearly everything which isn't small has hitboxes which are too big and it is almost impossible to target a specific target in a group of enemies. Overall, it's a decent game but falls well short of being a good RPG/hack n slash combo because of the huge flaws. Fact is, I'd rather be playing Path of Exile because it's way more fun and provides the same type of content. Expand
  76. Nov 20, 2012
    This game have really bad graphics which is partly repaired with pretty good gameplay and some new things added in genre. The game is good but nothing to remember or play long time. But compared to D3 it's much better in gameplay even when graphics sucks badly.
  77. Nov 23, 2012
    This game is really nothing more than a cheap Diablo 2 clone. It really has no originality and the story is virtually non existent. Perhaps what I was most disappointed in was the skills. They all seem so boring and bland. I played the character with the duel guns and found it irritating having to click exactly on my target to fire. Many times my character would go running towards theThis game is really nothing more than a cheap Diablo 2 clone. It really has no originality and the story is virtually non existent. Perhaps what I was most disappointed in was the skills. They all seem so boring and bland. I played the character with the duel guns and found it irritating having to click exactly on my target to fire. Many times my character would go running towards the target. In a nutshell this game is a cartoonish downgraded version of D2 with lamer skills and treasure. This is 1 of only 2 games I've ever bought that I was extremely disappointed in. How this game received almost a 9 is beyond me. Expand
  78. Nov 17, 2012
    As much as I dislike giving this game a review score of Zero, it must be done. Torchlight 2 has been out for three months now, and yet the developers have yet to address bugs that erase your progress in the game, whether that be how far you've progressed in the main campaign (I cannot progress past the beginning of Act 2, the game always resets when I exit), or losing character progress (aAs much as I dislike giving this game a review score of Zero, it must be done. Torchlight 2 has been out for three months now, and yet the developers have yet to address bugs that erase your progress in the game, whether that be how far you've progressed in the main campaign (I cannot progress past the beginning of Act 2, the game always resets when I exit), or losing character progress (a level 30 character being reset to level 10). The developers, Runic Games, blame the users when this happens. Apparently, after a game session, it's the user's responsibility to make back-ups of their save files, and to carefully examine their character status to make sure that the game actually did save your progress when you last exited the game, and if not, then you have to load your back-up save files. And guess what? In my case, even after doing all of this, it doesn't work--I am always placed back at the beginning of Act 2. Simply put, the game is unplayable, and Runic apparently has no plans to address this issue with a patch. For this reason, I would advise spending your money elsewhere. Expand
  79. Jan 6, 2013
    I had not played Torchlight 1 but heard very good things about it, so I gave this game a try.

My initial thoughts were that while the graphics were a bit to bright and cartoony for my taste the combat seemed okay. As I played on I grew more and more bored with the game, not having a comparison between my current piece of armour/weapon with the one I'm examining quickly frustrated me,

As I played on I grew more and more bored with the game, not having a comparison between my current piece of armour/weapon with the one I'm examining quickly frustrated me, as well as not being able to teleport home without using a scroll. There are a lot more small details that all add up for a less than enjoyable experience.
  80. Oct 10, 2012
    Most of the enjoyment that comes from a ARPG is related to the community, TL2 does not have it, it's players are just Diablo 3 haters who are not interested in playing TL2, if you enter the foruns around the internet you will see no one talking about the game, discussing build, stats distributions or trading items, i played this game for 32 hours and see no point to keep playing it anymore.
  81. Aug 11, 2013
    I don't know why people giving Torchlight 2 so high scores. I really felt cheated when the feedback was so good, and then the reality was very different.

- THE BAD: Graphics are bad with no detail, combat is lazy with no impact, monsters have little variety, landscape neither has about any variety at all, boring quests (It's an APRG, surprise), story is boring, there are few classes

- THE BAD:

Graphics are bad with no detail, combat is lazy with no impact, monsters have little variety, landscape neither has about any variety at all, boring quests (It's an APRG, surprise), story is boring, there are few classes and the customization is also scraping the bottom,

- THE GOOD:

You can apply mods and multiplayer is keeping the game alive, but ony by a bit.

I didn't finish the game after 18 hours of gameplay I gave up due to the game was too boring.
  82. Jun 9, 2013
    gameplay is boring and graphic are too cartoonish for my taste. an improvement over the first installment, but not sufficient enough to make it to a positive rating.
  83. Sep 26, 2012
    Would i have not know PATH OF EXILE, torchlight 2 would have been fun. But i play the damn POE beta and so torchlight give me a taste of more of the same, starless. It is an ok game, it doesn t have the flaws D3 have (not difficult) but it ain t innovative, it ain t creative, it brings nothing interesting. Its a well executed bland game. But unfortunately uninteresting to me now,Would i have not know PATH OF EXILE, torchlight 2 would have been fun. But i play the damn POE beta and so torchlight give me a taste of more of the same, starless. It is an ok game, it doesn t have the flaws D3 have (not difficult) but it ain t innovative, it ain t creative, it brings nothing interesting. Its a well executed bland game. But unfortunately uninteresting to me now, character development is...boring dull narrow. If i had to resume ...TL2 is starless it not flawed but its doesn t shine, i will play it from time to time until i know the end story but just that. Expand
  84. Sep 22, 2012
    TL2 is a good game. No doubt about it - but it's not really as good as all the people portrait it..I bought it after enjoying the first one, and after all the user-generated hype. I'm kinda disappointed with the game. As I said - it's good, but it feels like it's lacking substance. I sat down to play it after everybody telling me how it's gonna "CRUSH DIABLO 3 OMGOMGOMG" aaand it didn't.TL2 is a good game. No doubt about it - but it's not really as good as all the people portrait it..I bought it after enjoying the first one, and after all the user-generated hype. I'm kinda disappointed with the game. As I said - it's good, but it feels like it's lacking substance. I sat down to play it after everybody telling me how it's gonna "CRUSH DIABLO 3 OMGOMGOMG" aaand it didn't. D3 really has a epic feeling to it, you can feel the work and money put in making of it, while TL2 still has this cheap, indie feel (not saying thats a bad thing - I love me some indie games). The plot is forgettable, the characters lack any relevance whatsoever - it's just a background for killing hundreds and hundreds of monsters. This is all just fine, but not in a game that was supposed to be the new big thing in ARPGs. It's a fun, casual indie game but it gets nowhere near D3. Expand
  85. May 19, 2013
    An uninspired Diablo 2 clone, dumbed down for the kiddies. It's much too easy. In three hours on Hard I might have drunk three health potions. There's no sense of world, no persistent characters, and no storyline to speak of. There's not even a world map to give you any sense of this world you're expected to save. It fails as a game, and it fails as a story.
  86. Sep 23, 2012
    Giving this a middle-of-the-road review because there's a lot to like about the game, but in an ARPG, there is nothing more important than the feel of the action, and I found TL2 a great disappointment in this area.

The art direction is delightful, really charming, with stylized 3D models that reminded me of Warcraft 3. I know some people deride this as "cartoonish" but I like all art styles if they're executed well, and TL2 is executed very well indeed.

The game mechanics don't hesitate to throw choices at you quite quickly: stat points, skill points, lots of different stats on gear, socketing right from the start, different ways to meet prereqs for gear, set and unique items dropping early on, etc. It's a game that is not ashamed of the fact that it treats its audience like ARPG veterans, and I respect it for that fact.

But the action.. the clicky-clicky on enemies and making them explode. I just didn't enjoy it. It's hard to explain why. I felt a step removed from the action, like I was telling my character what to do the way I'd tell an RTS unit what to do, rather than physically controlling them. And there was no visceral feeling to the combat, no impact, no physicality - an area where the bar has been raised enormously by Diablo 3.

Anyway, a mixed review, a lot to like, but an inescapable problem that I can't deal with. There's a demo available so I'd recommend anyone who has ever enjoyed an ARPG check it out. If you enjoy the demo, you should definitely buy the game, because if you don't like it for the same reasons I didn't, you'll know it pretty quickly.
  87. Jun 15, 2013
    This game is horrible compared to the first. The graphics are are fuzzier, not as sharp, the world isn't nearly as appealing as the first game.. Loot drops are favor what ever classes you AREN'T playing. Got a Outlander to up level 20 and no pistol drops anywhere, and yet they start you out with pistols. Stupid level design nowhere near as cool as the first game and the controls are stillThis game is horrible compared to the first. The graphics are are fuzzier, not as sharp, the world isn't nearly as appealing as the first game.. Loot drops are favor what ever classes you AREN'T playing. Got a Outlander to up level 20 and no pistol drops anywhere, and yet they start you out with pistols. Stupid level design nowhere near as cool as the first game and the controls are still an unintuitive mess. The only reason anyone gives this game a 10 is because it doesn't suck as bad as Diablo 3, but it still sucks. Expand
  88. Apr 2, 2013
    The first thing that comes to mind when I start this game, is the non immersive cartoony graphics. The one thing positive about this is you can argue I don't have a low spec system, so I can't test this theory) that the game 'should' be playable on low end systems.

The game's graphics detract so much sometimes from gameplay, that it makes it difficult to see grades in the landscape making the game annoying to traverse.

I did enjoy the pet system, not because I can use my poor pet because Im too lazy to go back to town with my brave pet, but because I'd rather play through the game with my pet dog, than with a follower from other similar games in the genre.

The player RUNS through the game far too early, making it seems as if my player is constantly on caffeine, which is something that RPG fans prob. won't like a great deal, but 'younger' generation players probably will.

The stat screen is interesting enough, but I personally found the 'Skill' screen very ugly and diminished by immersion a lot, whereas with Diablo 3 it's the exact opposite.

The overall feeling of this game is very childish and non immersive, as much as I wanted to like it overall, I just can't. The outside levels are bad enough in that regard, but going into a dungeon feels like mayberry RFD instead of a gritty dungeon experience which again Diablo 3 offers in spades though admittedly neither succeed in that area given there are no torches for area effect ).

THe fact that you can't change your skills once they are in place alienates players who might make mistake placing them, just as was done in Diablo 2, and I found that very distasteful then as well, so Im very appreciative of Blizzards foresight in making skills changeable with no obvious penalty short of a small 1 minute or so visual showing the new skill reenergizing.

I would like to say the game was fun, that it drew me IN, but it's not when you consider that it is hard to get 'into the game' given the lacking immersion, for reasons stated above, and the poorly designed skills screen wasn't helping me at all. The sound and visual effects are just fine and do help to alleviate the issues above,but it's not really enough to overcome them for me.

IT's quite clear, that they chose their 'visual' look very cartoony, in a lowered style compared to Diablo 3, etc.) to appeal to a younger audience which is fine, but I feel it left out the hardcore audience that wants realism. Diablo 2 is a 10 year old game now, but it's look and feel is not diminished, and Diablo 3 which veered off course thankfully....) skill and stat wize has managed to maintain a immersion factor of 10 and is the one true Diablo 2 sequel in this authors opinion.

Just as with WoW, I would prefer to have a decent 'pet system' for Diablo 3, which may come in a expansion, so I will give TL2 one extra positive mark for entertaining those of us who love our pets and want them by our gaming side, vs ordinary boring followers.

I did not try Networking, but I hear its frought with issues both in stability and profanity in game 'titles'.

One last note; while diablo 3 does the same basic thing, I take one mark away from TL2 for not attaching offensive spells animations to our actual choice of weapon wiz here), thereby removing another source of needed immersion for this visually inferior game adult crowd at least, and I suspect many 'kids' out there too given our technological age ).

All in all, the game succeeds in showing us a fantasy based world full of button mashing necessity yet fails to deliver on style. At the asking price of $20 or $10 right now on Steam) and given there is a GUTS editor to making MOD's for TL2, it's hard to debate the net worth compared to other titles going for $60 in todays market.

The replayability suffers from the games lacking emmersion, but at least there is a GUTS editor for those that have managed to outlast that shallowness, and dynamic challenges placed throughout the game world do help to alleviate some of that, but given the possible lack of maturity given this games look and feel, I can't imagine that the experience would be worth it.

I also found that with a lot of spells going on at the sametime I can imagine that MP would be far far worse), that a otherwise visual delight is otherwise turned into visually confusing mayhem making anything interesting turn into a indistinguishable mess a lot of the time. Diablo 3 did a fine job of fine tuning that,short of 4 players and monsters hordes, where even that scenario is doable. I also thought that while overall acceptable, that a better job could have been done with visual spell effects .

I think it's a shame that the less mature among this forum's inhabitants were so harsh on Diablo 3 given ridiculous scores of '0', so I will avoid that silliness entirely and mark this game on its actual 'merits' ,not some super childish antics.

Graphics: 3
    Immersion: 0
    Mechanics: 8
    Replayability: 7
    Sound: 5
  89. Sep 22, 2012
    The game builds on nothing. If you loved Diablo 2 (Diablo 2 not Diablo 3), then you'll love this game. Its not innovative, it offers nothing new to the ARPG genre. The skill system is very small and robust. Its more spam skills to win, rather then having interesting Attack/Defensive/passive combos that make your character amazing. It really turned out to be boring. Do not recommend unlessThe game builds on nothing. If you loved Diablo 2 (Diablo 2 not Diablo 3), then you'll love this game. Its not innovative, it offers nothing new to the ARPG genre. The skill system is very small and robust. Its more spam skills to win, rather then having interesting Attack/Defensive/passive combos that make your character amazing. It really turned out to be boring. Do not recommend unless you are not satisfied with Diablo 3, its no better. Expand
  90. Sep 25, 2012
    Too many references to other games, it really ruins the atmosphere for me personally. The game play is pretty good, but the game play for this genre has been perfected for well over a decade at this point. It's an alright game for the price, but don't expect any replayability.
  91. Jan 14, 2013
    I was hugely disappointed in T2. The very first spell I tried was so overpowered I could just walk through the game mashing one button and everything died. You feel more like a exterminator spraying **** than anything else: just clearing out areas full of bugs. Rinse and repeat. It's the ultimate grind-a-thon. I quickly bumped the game up to highest difficulty, but it made noI was hugely disappointed in T2. The very first spell I tried was so overpowered I could just walk through the game mashing one button and everything died. You feel more like a exterminator spraying **** than anything else: just clearing out areas full of bugs. Rinse and repeat. It's the ultimate grind-a-thon. I quickly bumped the game up to highest difficulty, but it made no difference. They throw so much healing potion at you, and your mana regenerates so quick that everything feels cheap, like you've got a cheat enabled. This is a game you'd give to your 8 year old nephew or something. Definitely not the Diablo III alternative so many people keep claiming. The first Torchlight had a lot of charm and challenge. This thing is just an unbalanced mess. Expand
  92. Sep 28, 2012
    This isn't a game for those who don't usually play arpg. The gameplay is more or less left-click driven, not particularly tactical, and mostly driven by your decision to level-up in one tree or another, or what items you decide to equip.

It gets points for not being too expensive, but in my mind doesn't innovate any new game concepts.
  93. Oct 4, 2012
    This game has everything needed to make it amazing, but for some reason it doesn't quite flow. It's like there are a dozen or so niggling errors that just become more glaring over time. The on-screen font for damage information doesn't quite fit the rest of the art style. The classes seem interesting but then seem easily to get stuck in certain attack styles which are much mroe powerfulThis game has everything needed to make it amazing, but for some reason it doesn't quite flow. It's like there are a dozen or so niggling errors that just become more glaring over time. The on-screen font for damage information doesn't quite fit the rest of the art style. The classes seem interesting but then seem easily to get stuck in certain attack styles which are much mroe powerful than others. The maps are great, but just a little too big. The levelling is fast and frequent, but then you start to think it's too much, you don't get to explore abilities properly before you're already moving on. In torchlight 1 I was at level 20 about halfway through the game. In this I got to level 25 after completing just two big maps and their side quests. Somehow the humour that characterised the first game has been lost too. In T2 you have a complicated and grand-sounding save-the-world quest, which in the context of an ARPG just seems excessive to me. Compare that to T1 which was able to laugh at itself with quests described for example as, and I quote, "Bla bla bla LEVEL 21 la la la GRUNTHANK THE DESTROYER". That shows a confident game that knows its strengths: you don't care about the quest, you want to kill the monsters. T2 is fun and worth buying, especially given its reasonable price, but Runic have not managed to recreate the absolute perfection that was T1. BTW I have never played any of the diablo games, I'm comparing T2 only to the amazing fun I had with T1. Expand
  94. Oct 6, 2012
    I bought this game for the multilayer, couldn't get passed the "strict nat" issue after following the recommendations on their website. So didn't really get to play the game. For anyone wanting to buy this and play it with friends, keep in mind that you may be in for an uphill battle.

I really wanted to love this game after the disappointment of a "certain other game" where the multiplayer was so easy to use you often had people in your game whether you wanted them there or not.

Gave it a 5 because you can't argue with the release price.
  95. Oct 3, 2012
    I wish i could rate this game higher, but the game has some problems i just cant get around. But first, the good: The music is wounderfull, it has a very Diablo 2 feel and i absolutely love it. The price is awesome and i hope the tactic works in their favour. The amount of freedom in how you build and play your character is splendid, im not locked in the same way as you were in Diablo 3.I wish i could rate this game higher, but the game has some problems i just cant get around. But first, the good: The music is wounderfull, it has a very Diablo 2 feel and i absolutely love it. The price is awesome and i hope the tactic works in their favour. The amount of freedom in how you build and play your character is splendid, im not locked in the same way as you were in Diablo 3. And its a pretty lenghty game with multiplayer for added enjoyment and longlivity. And now for the bad: My biggest problem with this game, and what stops me from enjoying myself is the iOS game feeling i get from it. The controlls feels clunky and unresponsive, as i hit enemies my attacks have no "impact" no "ompf!" it just feels like im flailing around in nothingness and yet stuff is dying. There is problems with the accurateness of the mousepointer also, more then often i find myself accidently picking up stuff i do not want or struggeling with clicking on something that i want to use thanks to the pointer not acctually beeing where it tells me it is. I do not know if this is a problem with just my system, ive tried mixing around with mouse settings in setpoint and disabled my other monitors if the game had some problems with my eyefinity setup but still, the problem persists. The graphics, althou very nice, mixed with the clunkyness of the menues adds to the feeling that i am playing a game ported from an iPad to a PC, which is not the case. All in all this is a good game that would have been a great game if it was not for the iOS-game feeling i get from it. Expand
  96. Jan 11, 2013
    I love the first Torchlight and played it though numerous times. Despite alot of things being better in TL2, something it missing. The game is just plain old boring. The skills are mindless with zero depth. You'll be using the same 2-3 abilities from lvl 1 right to the end of the game. Gear seams to matter little apart from better stats. I was able to finish this game once... barelyI love the first Torchlight and played it though numerous times. Despite alot of things being better in TL2, something it missing. The game is just plain old boring. The skills are mindless with zero depth. You'll be using the same 2-3 abilities from lvl 1 right to the end of the game. Gear seams to matter little apart from better stats. I was able to finish this game once... barely (not from difficulty but from tedium) and haven't touched it since. Its really too bad, had this simply been TL1 + multiplayer it would've rocked. As it stands, its just bland... Expand
  97. Feb 23, 2013
    Felt a lot like Diablo III, except the UI and character building feels very clumsy. Some great concepts and ideas, but I felt they weren't very polished.
  98. May 28, 2014
    A lot of people held this game up as a more satisfying version of Diablo 3, but personally I don't agree. Maybe I didn't play it long enough, but like some other reviewers, I found the lack of any kind of engagement extremely off-putting and didn't play for more than an hour before I got bored and went and did something else. My initial intention was to try to pick it back up later onA lot of people held this game up as a more satisfying version of Diablo 3, but personally I don't agree. Maybe I didn't play it long enough, but like some other reviewers, I found the lack of any kind of engagement extremely off-putting and didn't play for more than an hour before I got bored and went and did something else. My initial intention was to try to pick it back up later on and give it another chance, but that was a year ago and I still don't have any desire to try this again. Maybe that day will come in the distant future and I'll have a reason to revise my review, but for now, it's a 0/10. Expand
  99. Jan 13, 2014
    For this game, once compared to Diablo 3, it seems very good. Once compared to Path of Exile, it seems very bad. Let me explain. Torchlight 2 succeed where Diablo 3 fail but Path of exile succeed where both Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3 fail. The most negative point is the cartoon style and it is not free unlike Path of Exile. When I give a score to a game, I have to ask myself "did the moneyFor this game, once compared to Diablo 3, it seems very good. Once compared to Path of Exile, it seems very bad. Let me explain. Torchlight 2 succeed where Diablo 3 fail but Path of exile succeed where both Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3 fail. The most negative point is the cartoon style and it is not free unlike Path of Exile. When I give a score to a game, I have to ask myself "did the money I paid worth that game. The answer is no. This game should be free. Expand
  100. Apr 13, 2013
    Bueno, primera review que hago, le doy 8 puntos a este juego no solo porque me encantan gran parte de los juegos Hack n' Slash, los gráficos son muy buenos, el estilo de juego es muy simple, el loot esta bien organizado. Lo malo es que varias veces no se entiende al momento de pelar contra muchísimos enemigos a la vez, esta bien agregar una alta cantidad de monstruos a la vez, pero resultaBueno, primera review que hago, le doy 8 puntos a este juego no solo porque me encantan gran parte de los juegos Hack n' Slash, los gráficos son muy buenos, el estilo de juego es muy simple, el loot esta bien organizado. Lo malo es que varias veces no se entiende al momento de pelar contra muchísimos enemigos a la vez, esta bien agregar una alta cantidad de monstruos a la vez, pero resulta odioso que no entiendas nada cunado peleas. La historia no es muy buena que digamos, y el muy poco voice acting que hay en el juego es muy horrible, pero dentro de todo es muy divertido, el multiplayer para mi esta bastante bueno y esta bien que el loot sea separado, asi no se realizan ninguna pelea entre los miembros del grupo. Es muy barato y se los recomiendo, si a ustedes les gusto Torchlight 1, les va a encantar Torchlight 2. Expand
  101. Oct 6, 2012

Torchlight 2 offers everything an action RPG fan wants: a huge campaign, variety of enemies, a rich system of quality loot, well-balanced and fresh classes with different build options, care-free and fun multiplayer modes. [November 2012]
  2. Dec 13, 2012
    Sure, it might not reinvent the wheel as built by Diablo II over a decade ago, but Runic deserves props for perfectly recreating the formula. Many others have tried to bring their own take on Diablo to the market-and failed. Runic didn't, which makes Torchlight II an essential purchase for anyone who loves to crawl through dungeons while scoring phat loot.
  3. Nov 25, 2012
    A slick action RPG with wit and charm, this is a genuine alternative to Diablo III. [Christmas 2012, p.93]