8.6

1. Oct 10, 2012
    I didn't play TL1 to any great extent. In fact, it was quite boring and repetetive. I kept an eye on Runic's plans for TL2 as they looked to be quite ambitious in comparison to the first entry of this series. I didn't take part in any beta events, and I bought the game on day one of release.........................I think the main point of focus when looking at TL2 is it's price vs product. For £15 it offers up a well polished game. Many will compare it to Diablo 3, which for my money, Blizzard failed to deliver anything like what I'd hoped, and if you are compelled to compare the two, then the first port of call is on loot. D3 absolutely failed on loot throughout it's entirety, and TL2 is the complete opposite. Plenty of loot drops that are relevant to your level and character...................Graphically TL2 has a less realistic feel to it, and is, strangely enough more comparable with Warcraft games. It is probably a required taste, but you soon lose yourself inside the game's various areas and dungeons......................As far as gameplay is concerned, well it's pretty standard fare for this genre, and I'd say gamers of any level can easily pick it up and play. As far as combat goes, it's pretty simple, and is probably where it lets itself down - but only slightly. Pretty much everything i've encountered so far on my Engineer is simply a case of spamming and running, but then again, I'm only about 10 hours or so into the game. Maybe later on, or on a more difficult setting everything might get ramped up - or might require some thought into how to defeat the bosses..................Finally, co-op play. For a game to include this at this price is quite rare, and a definate plus for Runic games' reputation. I've only tried it a couple of times, but it worked fine for me, and when you think back to only last year with Dungeon Siege 3 - which was a full priced supposed AAA title, where you had to stay in a limited area on the same screen as your compadres, how Runic have implemented it how they have on such a small budget shoud really make some developers sit back and rethink there approach as to what gamers want. If you deliver cr*p, then gamers will remember and speak with their wallets next time around - ie: they won't buy....................................So, TL:DR - TL2 is a welcome addition in the genre, something that I think I could put alongside Titan Quest as a winner in this genre....... Buy it - you won't be disappointed. Expand
  2. Nov 7, 2012
    Fantastische game. Dit is zoals Diablo 3 had moeten zijn , sterker nog, dit is diablo 3 voor mij. Geen flauwekul voor online hoeven spelen of een auctionhouse element die de maandelijkse kosten van de servers hiervoor moet bekostigen. In dit spel zijn de sterke spelelementen van Diablo II in tact gelaten en de wat zwakkere elementen van deel 2 verbeterd. Klasse spel!!
  3. Oct 26, 2012
    This game is very similar to Diablo 2, but more fast paced - different style of graphics and takes place in a different world. Multiplayer is expanded but there are a lot of connectivity issues in games, especially for parties 4 and more. Skill and stat point mapping is the exact similar to D2 but it's a lot easier to get unique items and thus makes it more fun to play. Shared stash between your characters ensures that every item you find is useful and encourages you to play all 4 classes. The game's 'veteran' difficulty should really be the 'normal', and the 'elite' would be very hard. Anything under veteran is much too easy. Scaling of difficulty is a bit extreme. There are some issues with the balance of skills and classes as well. Not every build is feasible to use in elite. The story is non existent, as should be expected (it's really not that type of game.) It's a game where you mindlessly kill things and get loot and to try out different builds using stat/skill allocations. For 20 bucks the game is fair and not too expensive to play. You'll probably get bored of it after finishing the game story for 4 classes, regardless of difficulty - unless you are looking to beat the game on elite for all 4 classes. Just an FYI, outlander and embermage are extremely overpowered when compared to engineer and berserker based on the current patch. Buy it if you want to kill some time with a relatively fun (but short lived game). Expand
  4. Nov 5, 2012
    Overall Torchlight 2 expands over the first one and improves in pretty much in every way, despite some network issues it may have from time to time, players will surely enjoy the multiplayer experiences and if not they can dabble on the single player experience which like the multiplayer can be experienced through different difficulties. You have a pretty decent customization options for your characters and can easily build up any class in any possible way. The graphical details have improved from the game, the sound effects and music are kept the similar to the first game. Pretty much TL2 consists of all the good aspects of TL1 plus more. Expand
  5. Feb 1, 2013
    As was the case with the first Torchlight, this is simply a ripoff of diablo 2 with a minor change or two. The graphics are unimpressive and I got bored within 30 minutes. Certainly not worth 20 bucks.
  6. Oct 12, 2012
    Overall I feel that this game is a well-polished version of the first game. The technical aspects are all perfect. No obvious bugs or quirks, incredibly smooth and solid gameplay. All of the 'little things' were tended to.
    I was hoping for a little more graphical improvement. The graphics were definitely smoothed out and the effects are more detailed than before. Personally the art style
    isn't really my cup of tea. I don't mind 'artistic' renderings but everything seems like a Disney cartoon with a few splotches of blood thrown in the mix. The women are rather scantily dressed but they look like little kids with cleavage. I say keep the art but make it look more like a dungeon crawler theme. I mean the game is based on wandering around and murdering everything in sight.
    I have enjoyed it but after reaching level 40 I don't feel inclined to continue on. The story is incredibly weak and the characters are completely forgettable. I have almost no connection to the hero under my control. In the end though I am giving this game a high rating because technically speaking it was delivered to me perfect. So far there have been 3 updates all of which have fixed problems I never experienced or adjusted some gameplay mechanics. And the best part for Runic is that they only charged me $20. Last year I was raped by Rage and Skyrim having paid full price for pre-orders; games I bought blindly because I had followed the developers since the beginning and had always been thoroughly amazed with their games. Is Torchlight 2 amazing?
  7. Nov 13, 2012
    It's a good game. If you're fan of diablo series (NOT DIABLO 3) then buy it. It's definitely worth it. I don't really have anything to complain about this game, except the skills system.
  8. Oct 30, 2012
    This game is the true Diablo II successor that is all there is to it, made by the same guys who led Diablo II, the game is fun with a lot of replayability is only $20, I don't regret buying Diablo III but I am more hooked and had more fun with this game
  9. Sep 25, 2012
    Too many references to other games, it really ruins the atmosphere for me personally. The game play is pretty good, but the game play for this genre has been perfected for well over a decade at this point. It's an alright game for the price, but don't expect any replayability.
  10. Oct 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Having played the whole Diablo series not since beginning but close enough to, since I was only 5 or 6, I believe that torchlight 2 is what people were expecting diablo 3 to be like. Given Blizzard North(For the most part) made this game, it is no surprise that it is like this. However, unlike previous games, of this sort, difficulties are set at level 1, rather than being set at the final completion of the storyline in each difficulty(normal/nightmare/hell etc. The speed or pace of the game is quite fast, faster than that of the diablo series but there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It gives players the feeling that they're completing the storyline or quests quicker than what they would, but as people know.. "Time flies when you're having fun". Much like Diablo 2, the "endgame" mapworks, is a lot like a baal run, repetitive but quick and easy enough to do it over and over again. The maps vary between 5 possible maps, but multiple outcomes on each and level difficulties are planted in the map title. This is obviously quite newbie friendly and much like other parts of the game are a great addition.

The only problem I personally have and am unsure if others have this problem too, is that multiplayer can be quite 'iffy' to say the least. When connecting to a game on multiplayer that someone else has created, you can get either a inability to connect, very long load screen(1-5 mins) or a smooth running game.

With all this being said and the only issue is online play (which is expected with player hosted servers), I will gladly give this a 9/10 overall, but 10/10 gameplay as I am a huge fanboy of Blizzard North.
  11. Oct 7, 2012
    This game deserves the scores it's gotten. It's not revolutionary, but it downright what you want from an RPG. The skill based system, character classes, and ability to mod the game, give it a great replay value. If you bought the game with steam, I am sure you know that it's coming to steam workshop. The community will be bringing endless add-ons to this game for free, making it almost a perfect buy. For only 20 dollars, it brings so much to the table, you would be stupid not to buy the game. Even if you are a beginner to the RPG genre, this game can quite possibly be a perfect starter for your experiences in the RPG worlds. Expand
  12. Oct 8, 2012
    If you don't know what to do, i tell you, PLAY THIS GAME, it is pretty awesome, the graphics, the characters, the action, the music, everything is AWESOME, just AWESOME, i made a "OutLander" and God, i really want to play this all the day, i really really really enjoy this game. Play It, You'll Love IT!
  13. Oct 9, 2012
    Torchlight II is clearly the best Hack and Slay game since Diablo 2. It brings much needed changes to the classic game mechanics like limited respec (3 skills) for people who want to try without getting penalized for it later in the game. But it stays true to the things that make a Diablo style hack and slay game good. The pet reliefs you from the trips back to town to sell whatever is cluttering your inventory or to buy new potions. So you can keep on slaying those monsters. And speaking of monsters there are TONS of them and every monster feels unique and has one or more special attack. It's never just another guy who will try to hit you with a mace. On the first playthrough I thought noumerous times that I just encountered a small boss but it was just a regular monster with awesome attacks. It is amazing how much love they put in those side quests. You'll see quest bosses that will blow your mind and there are secret rooms and things to explore everywhere. If you like Eastereggs you will live Torchlight 2. The classes feel refreshing and new. The engineer is a nice mix between a hard hitting two hander / tanking and summoning class but has some ranged skills too (Canons!). The item and loot system is also very good. You can play for 30 minutes and it never feels like you wasted your time. You'll still have progressed a little and probably found some useful items.

The only thing that I'd like to have in Torchlight 2 is that NG+s ( replay the story with existing character on higher difficulty due to higher monster level ) play a bit different than the first play through. In Diablo 2 you'd face monsteres from other Acts earlier and they would have immunities or multiple affixes ( Extra Fast, immune vs. Fire, Lightning Enchanted etc.) and maps would get bigger on higher difficulties. With Torchlight 2 the monsters will simply deal more damage and take less damage. Other than that awesome game.... oh and it's a real bargin!
  14. Oct 13, 2012
    Damn, get this, for $19 its the best duckets you will ever spend... D3 for $60 ...hehe RIP!! If you are a big fan of titan quest and any Diablo title, torchlight 2 will blow you away....period!
  15. Oct 14, 2012
    This game just FEELS right. I've never been a fan of the "click on things until they die" genre, but Torchlight II is seriously satisfying to play. Especially with friends in multiplayer. A word to the wise: Play on Veteran, or even Elite, never Normal mode. It's more fun with a bit of a challenge.

Don't go into this game expecting a story, though. It's all "go into that cave, bring
    back my MacGuffin!" They've done the bare minimum to get you into the real meat of the game, which is some great dungeon crawling leading to epic boss battles.

If you've got 3 gamer friends, try to go in for a 4-pack on steam for the discounted price and play together online or on LAN.
  16. Oct 30, 2012
    Amazing game that deserves the 10/10. Right from the start you are enthralled with tons of loot, upgrading your character, and a decent enough storey to keep you on track. The main enjoyment comes from collecting all the tantalizing loot. Trying to find that next big item. And for the first time in a while ,a game that includes set pieces that you can actually collect! Feels great to get a full set of armour designed for your class and play style. I get that at times the game was easy, but not mind numbing enough to turn me away what so ever. Beat the game in around 25hrs with my two handed wielding engineer. Love this game. Expand
  17. Nov 18, 2012
    Torchlight 2 is a really great game. An action Rpg, very similar to Diablo 2 in the gameplay, but with some little diferents, and a tons of fun. The game is veary cheap. You have 4 acts, and diferents dificulty level(the most dificult is no easy), and also you can do a new game+, ng++,ng+++,ng++++ etc.
    It's not like Diablo III, that make you farm like crazy, to get some gear or pay $$.

If you like the arpgs this is an excellent game.
  18. Nov 18, 2012
    If you're curious about the negative rating on here - given before anybody but the lucky press (who have all had nothing but positive things to say) - it's called 'Blizzard Buyer's Remorse'. Silly rabbit, you can own both games. One doesn't have to be bad for you to feed good. Anyway, if you like aRPG's, there's no need to convince you with a long blob of text. This game will confid
  19. Dec 30, 2012
    This game is amazing, first of all I think it is much better then Diablo 3 for many reason, the main reason is because for the content it gives, the price is just a joke, only 20 dollars, (and less with the winter sales) comparing to the 60 dollars you need to pay for Diablo.

The game it self offers a lot of fun and gameplay time due to its length and enjoyful campaign which you can
    play with friends. each character has unique skills and accessories that makes them a lot different and valuable in combat against lots of bosses and tough enemies, normal difficulty itself is not that simple, imagine the harder ones...
    Graphics are quite good for the game and they suit it perfectly, no need of super DX11 with shadows and realistic lightinigs... this games provides everything you need without crashing your system.

The connection and login is simple, fast, no problems of any sort, I heard that blizzard had some issues in the past, and still has sometimes, this game is lag free and you can play without any sort of disconnection danger :D

In conclusion,
    If you liked diablo 3 or not, you should try this game definitely since it's cheap and excellent.

Good hunting :D
  20. Nov 11, 2012
    Fantastic....improved over Torchlight as Diablo 2 improved over Diablo...an energetic ride that has serious game of the year cred. Let's hope the third game doesn't fail as miserably as Diablo 3.
  21. Oct 22, 2012
    Finally a true successor of Diablo2 ! This game should be officially call Diablo 3, perfect game play, customization attribute and skill combination,and u can choose offline or online play, no fuxking real $$ AH, if u want some good gear in D3, jus pay from yr pocket, but in TL2, you'll jus need to spend more enjoying time to play the game! The only things that some people will complain definitely is the cartoonish graphic , but know this, this is call ''Torchlight style''! Are u going to tell me that all the game have cartoonish graphic is sucks ? Reasonable? Expand
  22. Oct 22, 2012
    I am really not sure why it is getting so many great reviews, the game play is nothing special the loot is all ok but not great. Sure this is an above average game but it is no 9 or 10.

If you never played the first Torchlight then try this one, if you have played the first one I think you might be in for a let down. On the plus side it is cheap :)
  23. Oct 6, 2012
    A top-down dungeon crawling rpg that's an improvement on the original. Most combat skills play off of one another, (I.E. one will perform fire damage while another increases fire damage you do). Loot rains down by the chestfulls, and the game likes to stick in references to things like Minecraft and Skyrim. There is, however, a huge limitation on respecing abilities, which forces, rather than encourages, replay. Multiplayer is also limited to other players who have the same level of "New Game" as you, meaning if you started up NG+, you can only play with others who have started NG+ as well. The gameplay is fun, and the environment interesting, though its story lacks depth, or sense at certain points. Expand
  24. Nov 18, 2012
    For a game that took less than 2GB of my hard drive space, I was skeptical at first. I was sure it would be poor, because it would not have much content. I couldn't be more wrong. I started the game, it had different classes for choice, It took me less than a couple of minutes to adapt to the gameplay, and once I learned the basics I was addicted to the game. Smooth, easy to learn, but enough stuff to make it hard to master, plenty of loot, huge variety of items and monsters, great graphics, good enough campaign, and the awesome co-op play are the main points to make me love this game. It's actually very close to Borderlands in a lot of ways (I even found the claptrap as an easter egg), but in it's own way and genre. So, if you are looking for a game to spend some good time, either if you are a gamer or not, just play this game. You sure won't regret it. Expand
  25. Jan 6, 2013
    I had not played Torchlight 1 but heard very good things about it, so I gave this game a try.

My initial thoughts were that while the graphics were a bit to bright and cartoony for my taste the combat seemed okay.

As I played on I grew more and more bored with the game, not having a comparison between my current piece of armour/weapon with the one I'm examining quickly frustrated me,
    as well as not being able to teleport home without using a scroll. There are a lot more small details that all add up for a less than enjoyable experience. Expand
  26. Nov 29, 2012
    i liked the first act aka the first part of the game a lot! but it gets repetitive! i rly liked that you don't have to go back to town with a portal to sell your stuff you can just send your pet and it can also buy stuff from the town for you but it would be nice to be able to just quickly press 1 button to give send all the normal items that are worse than your equipped items in every way but that's just a minor complaint. i do find it strange that the pet can buy things for you that you can't buy form the town tough... i loved the combat first but not after long you constantly have to use potions witch const money to keep you alive. it's like the game is built around you constantly using hp potions in battle since they heal you over 8 sec and have a 0 sec cool down. that reminds me, most all of the abilities have no cool down time! that makes no sense! that means that there is no reason to learn new abilities rather than upgrading the once that you already know, except for the few ones that have like 2 sec stun or something like that but when i have those do little to no damage i don't see any big reason to use those in stead of my most powerful ability.
    some of the bosses have to much health compared the there damage. when i have killed all they're minions all i have to do is spam my attacks on him and use potions until he dies for like 40 sec! that's no fun! and my main character is an engineer and but i feel more like a tank! with a class called engineer he should have to rely at least 50% on his robots but there are only like 4 robots he can summon! a healer (that's actually pretty useful), a mini-fighter that's pretty useless and you can only use once per 3 min so i usually forget about him and than there is also mine robots and a big robot witch i haven't bought yet. but there are like 50+ skills you can buy and of those 50+ only 4 are actual robots! all the other are just magic, positive or fighting! why isn't this class called tank or warrior? that reminds me there are only 4 classes! there should be at least 6 or 8. there is just a mage, a gunner a fighter and a warrior (called engineer). i do rly enjoy this game but when there is no reason to buy new skills rather than upgrading the once you have it will get repetitive. they should put at least a 2-10 sec cool down on 98% of the skills and make them cost a bit more mana, add more classes and make the pet go to town faster and it would make a great torchlight 3. but this game has to many flaws so i can't give it more than a 6.
  27. Jul 23, 2013
    The Basics

Torchlight has really pumped some much needed blood into the action RPG genre. It’s not that it’s invented any new formula or feature. It’s that it’s got really well oiled gameplay which seems to understand itself. Runic definitely grasps the essence of the genre and what makes these kinds of games work. As a player, I can feel it in the polish of the flow of gameplay.

True to form, character development in TL2 is very familiar: there’s a few dozen levels, troves of gear, and stat allocations. There’s special skills and abilities, special vendors, and inventory management. However, the game takes these things to some pretty interesting heights which, when combined, make the pace of gameplay furiously fast, gratifying, and addicting.

The controls remain very simple: mouse button does most things, and the number keys are there for your customization. Stats aren’t auto-allocated: you get to build your character exactly the way you see fit. The stats themselves are relatively straightforward to understand and designed in such a way that no matter what class you pick, all of them will be useful to you. This means that even though there will be popular builds, there simply won’t be a “best” build no matter what fanatics and theory crafters say. How can I be so certain? Because there’s no best way to play this game. Runic has made player choice reign supreme it. Your single player game is yours and while there are multiplayer options, even that is custom for you and your friends.

Inventory

Sad how many modern games ignore this little, well-worn feature. They slap some bags on you and call it a day. Not in TL2. Just like the original, you have several bags. One’s for all the awesome loot you pick up, another for potions and buff items, and another for spell scrolls. Quest items don’t go in your bags. They just sit on your questlog until you use them. What’s more is they added an auto-sort feature which allows you to quickly rearrange items from top to bottom.

Also, spammy potions. However, I like the execution of it here as a mechanic. The game rewards players for using fewer potions by asking you to use them at the right time during combat. This is the difference between a potion spammer and a potion user.

Skills & Stats
    Rather than skill trees, TL2 has skill tables. Basically, the only prerequisites to learning any skill is your current level. That means no more wasting points in abilities just to get the ones it unlocks. Simply stack your points and wait until you hit the appropriate level. Or do what I do: experiment a lot.

The variety in the trees seems adequate to me. Of the classes, I’ve so far tried the Engineer and Outlander. The trees for both are varied enough to truly give the player some strong options for alternate builds. Be careful, though. There’s no way to redo your skills once you’ve spent the points; they’re permanent, but you can always undo your last 3 skill allocations for a small fee at one of the special trainers.

Arguably the most important part of character development, stats are simple enough to understand and flexible enough to ensure non-trivial benefits no matter your build. I won’t get into the nuts and bolts of stat scaling, but I will say that there’s no “bad” stats. They’re all viable for any class and allow for great build diversity. For the most part, the function of each stat is spelled out right on the character panel to give some transparency about just what’s being bought for a point. These also cannot be undone once the window is closed.

Spells
    What I like most about Spells is how they add an extra dimension to your class. As a spell wielding Outlander, I can tun his combat style to include fireballs, demons, and frost bolts. If I’m an Embermage, I can add skeletal archers or minions to my team. This feature succeeds at increasing class versatility and utility and it’s very fun to boot.

Runnin’ and Gunnin’
    It doesn’t feel like it’s going as fast as it does. One moment I’m heading out of town to shoot-up some baddies and the next I’m 10 levels ahead and still blasting away. So forget leveling grindiness (until New Game This game does that worst than all the rest and that’s a really awesome thing.

Monsters
    Forget the randomness associated with ALL creatures crawling through an ARPG. Unique monsters and bosses are actually intriguing in what they do. There’s actual challenge and fun involved. Each TL2 boss seems to be hand crafted for a specific experience. There’s some strategy involved and the monsters seem like they’re paying attention to you. This makes the fight feel more dynamic, less like another blip on the map to
  28. May 30, 2013
    Childish graphics poor gameplay too few classes Game crashing on co-op after every loading screen. Poor story as hell Tbh even Diablo 3 is better than this game and that game sucks too.
  29. Jan 14, 2013
    I was hugely disappointed in T2. The very first spell I tried was so overpowered I could just walk through the game mashing one button and everything died. You feel more like a exterminator spraying **** than anything else: just clearing out areas full of bugs. Rinse and repeat. It's the ultimate grind-a-thon. I quickly bumped the game up to highest difficulty, but it made no difference. They throw so much healing potion at you, and your mana regenerates so quick that everything feels cheap, like you've got a cheat enabled. This is a game you'd give to your 8 year old nephew or something. Definitely not the Diablo III alternative so many people keep claiming. The first Torchlight had a lot of charm and challenge. This thing is just an unbalanced mess. Expand
  30. Jan 27, 2013
    Diablo 3 done right. Very customization skill tree and equipment that actually make the game enjoyable. It is undoubtedly worth the low price it is going for.
  31. Dec 9, 2012
    I felt that TL2 had potential but the lack of detail, story, interesting dialogues, things you can interact and mana restrictions just make it an average game. Enemies are not very interesting, there no is lore/backstory to them and it feels like a hack n slash with a really cut down core. What I did enjoy was the open style of the game and how I didn't feel very restricted. Playing with others was always fun, you're character would always be useful and you would always access some kind of support/team skills. The sounds and visuals are great and the stat mechanics are good. The big problem is that this game just doesn't provide large content outside of repetition, the whole hack n slash aspect isn't even particularly good and the game doesn't really leave you with memories. There are uniques for specific classes and if you're playing alone, all you'll do is recycle them because equipment which is valuable doesn't sell for anything and enchantments can result in a potentially great equip being mediocre unless you have tons of money. A lack of lore and dialogues seriously hampers this game and I felt they could of provided more. Each skill has a use and no skill is bad but using several skills decimates your mana and kind of ruins the fun, but wait, there are also abilites which are non-class specific which rape your mana even harder. And the hitboxes are just so frustrating at times, nearly everything which isn't small has hitboxes which are too big and it is almost impossible to target a specific target in a group of enemies. Overall, it's a decent game but falls well short of being a good RPG/hack n slash combo because of the huge flaws. Fact is, I'd rather be playing Path of Exile because it's way more fun and provides the same type of content. Expand
  32. Nov 22, 2012
    After spending $59.99 for Diablo III, I was reluctant to get this game. I am very glad I bought it. This game is plain FUN. Lots of loot, varied critters, interesting looking levels, and plenty of nail-biting moments. The graphics are cutesy/simple and very pleasing to the eye. Bosses are fun and creative! Downsides? Very minor ones. The mechanics are simple - kill monsters, grab loot, sell it, and gain experience. Over and over. The storyline is rather thin, and frankly, is not necessary to play the game. I would recommend this highly! Expand
  33. Nov 20, 2012
    This game have really bad graphics which is partly repaired with pretty good gameplay and some new things added in genre. The game is good but nothing to remember or play long time. But compared to D3 it's much better in gameplay even when graphics sucks badly.
  34. Oct 10, 2012
    Most of the enjoyment that comes from a ARPG is related to the community, TL2 does not have it, it's players are just Diablo 3 haters who are not interested in playing TL2, if you enter the foruns around the internet you will see no one talking about the game, discussing build, stats distributions or trading items, i played this game for 32 hours and see no point to keep playing it anymore.
  35. Dec 13, 2012
    Way better than the original. Multiplayer has some issues and will require mods to fix... The devs probably think not receiving loot/exp/fame because you were dead when your friend killed a boss is a good idea. The loot system is also annoying, with everyone having their own drops client side which expands on the previous issue; you pretty much have to stick together as an aoe spamfest swarm in MP to play effectively. Barring the MP issues this is a fantastic and stable game. $20 for a 20 hour campaign between multiple continents and cities is well worth it, even without any friends to play with. Expand
  36. Dec 2, 2012
    I waited until the steam autumn sale because this game came out right around the time of alot of heavy hitters like borderlands 2. That being said even at $19.99 this game is well worth the money and has far exceeded my expectations. I am pretty sure the creators of Torchlight are the minds behind Diablo 1 and Diablo 2. This game is pretty much what Diablo 3 should have been. In reality this game makes Diablo 3 feel like a souless cash grab. The love can be felt through the gameplay and the styling/design of the world. There are a few minor bugs and visual glitches which is why I could rate this a 9 but its really the really the only bad thing I can say so it stays a 10. Many of the complaints I see in these reviews would be resolved with viewing the controls screen and learning about things like holding **** while attacking. The music is fantastic, the graphics are very good, the story is decent and the gameplay is fantastic. I started out playing on Veteran and have not been dissapointed. Even when running through areas you already have its very common to see something you didn't the first time (if you reroll the world). The Pet inventory and spells are genius. Further, one of the best things in my mind is that loot does not bind to you when you put it on! You can use it and pass it along to friends. This game is an immediate buy if you liked Diablo 1 and/or 2. You should probably buy this if you and your fiends like games of this genre. Expand
  37. Nov 9, 2012
    Torchlight II is the best MMORPG game i ever played in my whole life. It definitely beats Diablo III because it has a lot of good sides like it is easier to level up and its way cheaper than Diablo III.
  38. Nov 24, 2012
    This is a very enjoyable aRPG game that I would recommend to any fan of the genre. It's got a very nice chunk of content, and takes roughly 15-25 hours to play through the game once. Even more on Elite difficulty which for me is the best experience.

This game is just oozing with personality and passion. If you at all liked the first Torchlight then this is an absolute must-buy. It does
    literally everything better than its predecessor.

Some great things I can say about this game:
    -A very satisfying level-system, giving you the freedom to allocate stat points and upgrade skills however you like. The skill tier bonuses makes upgrading much more enjoyable and interesting
    -Frantic action with tons of loot. Your screen will literally be showered with loot in many instances.
    -Challenging. One of the biggest problems I had with Diablo III was the fact that each character you created had to slug through normal and nightmare difficulty. In TL2 you can start on the hardest difficulty, ensuring a rewarding challenge throughout.
    -Very replayable. Each class plays drastically different, and each playthrough of the game feels fresh. With tons of different enemies, tons of different environments, tons of loot to find and plenty of easter-eggs to stumble across. This game can and will bring many hours of enjoyable video-game goodness.

39. Nov 16, 2012
    D3's graphics with Torchlights mechanics, get rid of the AH and you'd have one hell of a game.

Gameplay is solid
    Graphics are a little too cartoony
    Quest content and complexity is a little too childish
    Item variety is great
    Sound is decent

Overall its a great experience, and I look forward to jumping deeper into it this winter.
  40. Nov 23, 2012
    I liked the first one though after finishing the game once on hard I didn't really felt like playing anymore. Here I don't wanna play anymore after 10 hours... Maybe should've chosen another character... everything seems to be fine but nothing pulls me to this, it is not even a little bit addictive. I only played the first act of Diablo 3 and had much more fun with just that. So, overally a disapointment. Expand
  41. Nov 30, 2012
    I was mindlessly addicted to this for several days when I first got it. It's more fun with more ppl to play with though, you may feel the same. Definitely a good purchase. The game can get repetitive but it's rewarding. Hardcore mode is...named appropriately lol.
  42. Dec 1, 2012
    Very similar to Diablo II in my opinion. More than just running around in one dungeon forever and ever. You travel to different areas with various dungeons and mini-areas. Very similar to the first Torchlight in the upgrade and inventory system. Many of the skills you can learn are not worth getting, so you end up upgrading 3 or 4 of the same ones over and over. Seems like this series is progressing the way the Diablo series did. After a while, it does get somewhat tedious, but all in all, a decent game. Expand
  43. Dec 10, 2012
    Ce jeux est grandement au dessu de mes attente. A assayer et si il y a quelque chose qui vous déplais ...autre que vous n'aimez pas ce type de jeux... aller voir sur le forum pour les mod. Probablement que quelqu'un dautre n'aime pas la meme chose et a fait un mod pour arranger ce leger défaut :-) juste parfait
  44. Dec 25, 2012
    Just picked this up the other week and I'd have to say it might be the most fun game I've played all year. I'm playing a fire "Embermage" who shoots flame spells and has a panther for a pet. The pets are nice because you can send them back to town to sell and buy things for you at vendors. You can also equip spells on your pet which they will cast in battle, so they end up being really helpful. The weapons and armor in Torchlight 2 are incredibly varied and I like the art work for them. The boss fights in this game are really well done, they feel like epic battles. In general I like the environments, although I would have liked to have seen one more Act, maybe in an expansion. The thing I like the most is the level of customization for your character. You can choose between various looks at the character creation screen, you can build them to use really whatever weapons you'd like, or shields. The game lets you play how you'd like to play. The play style seems to be fairly different for each character's spec, which is cool. The co-op is really fun and I believe supports up to 6 people in a game. The action is super smooth, I haven't had issues with the game stuttering or anything. For an indie game I'm really impressed at the level of polish, I haven't encountered any bugs that I can remember. Overall great game. Expand
  45. Feb 4, 2013
    Torchlight II is not only a well done game, that could mess itself with the Diablo Series, it´s stands as a little masterpiece against the current trend in the gaming industry.

While permanent internetaccess, Cloud-Gaming, DLCs, missing Mod Support, Realmoney elements and restrictivly high anti-piracy measures become part of the daily routine in gaming development and are forced on the
    players without an alternative, this title is positively conservative and classic in two ways.

First the quality of the game. These is, measured on today´s standards in graphics, story, presentation, innovative gameplay etc., only average. But it is Hack and Slay in very best Diablo 2 manner, part of an ancient subgenre, which is for today´s circumstances already outdated, what results in a small amount of hack and slay titles.
    But what Diablo 2 makes one of the best PC Games of all time is the genres trumpcard, it´s uncomplicated pastime. You can play it for half an hour or while you are along the way. You don´t need to play it hundreds of hours to have a "complete" gaming experience.

And Torchlight 2 fulfills these virtues brilliantly. It offers what the players expect from it, no more no less. Spectacular fighting, an open world, individual charactercustomization and items in tons.
    In addition these virtues are supported by the boundary conditions of the game. No permanent online access necessary, full and userfriendly LAN and Mod Support and nevertheless the low price.

I think the main difference to Diablo 3 lies in the fact that Blizzard tried to modernize the Genre. The critics and the huge dissapointment of many players showed that such a modernization, for instance trough MMO mechanics or modern recommendations, is not requested and not necessary.

PS: Thanks for reading. I am sorry for my bad english, but it´s a second language
  46. Apr 28, 2013
    Irrespective of my opinion of torchlight 2. First of all let me congratulate the developers for having offline and LAN play, i wish AAA publishers would still treat us with respect.

Now, why this game wasn't for me is because of the story. What story? You are right, there isn't any! And being a guy that likes story along with the gameplay aspect of the game, i was not very immersed in
    it.
    This game does so much right! But without a decent story and a narrative to drive it forward, i couldn't get into it (i played it single player though). And that pains me.

However if you are a person who plays with his/her friends in a co-op setting. You'll have definitely more fun that i did. Or if u don't care about this story.
    Like i said before this game does so much right an awesome class system, leveling up system (although it happened far less then i required it to happen :P), pets and there roles, unique art style and the combat system.
    All let down by the game's storyline.
    This is my honest opinion about the game. But if you are someone who doesn't care about a story and just wants to focus on the combat and leveling up his/her character then ignore this review and buy the game...seriously
  47. Oct 20, 2013
    It has tons of loot. It has great classes with great skill trees, making this game have many different ways to play in, resulting in a high replay value.

It has 4 different difficulty levels. And if you finish the game, you get access to the mapworks, where you can buy new maps and finish them. You can also access the New Game+, where you start the entire game all over again, but with
    keeping all your acquired stats and items. That's a really cool feature.

The environments are varied between deserts, forests, underground mines. The dungeons are impressive, with exciting boss fights as well. Visually, the game's good enough, although the graphics were not very detailed.

Perhaps the only thing that kept this game from being amazing was the plot. It didn't really engage me in any ways. Same thing for the characters.
  48. Apr 25, 2013
    Remember the jump Assassin’s Creed made from 1 to 2? That’s what Torchlight 2 feels like. Runic Games knocked Torchlight 2 out of the park. It has phenomenal gameplay, and characters are more customizable than ever with 4 classes to choose from, each of which has a male and female variation. There are almost a dozen unique pets to choose from, and now play a much more important role than they did in Torchlight 1. The controls are easily customizable to your convenience and technical issues are incredibly scarce. The graphics engine is not demanding on the CPU or GPU, but still looks great. The introduction of the new game plus feature brings fantastic replay value to Torchlight 2. Add that to the mapworks feature, and you’ll have countless hours to spend after completing the game. In addition, the new co-op feature adds a fantastic multiplayer experience to the game. Players can’t by hoard or steal any loot with Torchlight 2’s great anti-cheating features. This is a fantastic investment of both your time and money. If you found Torchlight 1 fun at all, then Torchlight 2 will blow your mind. Expand
  49. Oct 4, 2012
    This game has everything needed to make it amazing, but for some reason it doesn't quite flow. It's like there are a dozen or so niggling errors that just become more glaring over time. The on-screen font for damage information doesn't quite fit the rest of the art style. The classes seem interesting but then seem easily to get stuck in certain attack styles which are much mroe powerful than others. The maps are great, but just a little too big. The levelling is fast and frequent, but then you start to think it's too much, you don't get to explore abilities properly before you're already moving on. In torchlight 1 I was at level 20 about halfway through the game. In this I got to level 25 after completing just two big maps and their side quests. Somehow the humour that characterised the first game has been lost too. In T2 you have a complicated and grand-sounding save-the-world quest, which in the context of an ARPG just seems excessive to me. Compare that to T1 which was able to laugh at itself with quests described for example as, and I quote, "Bla bla bla LEVEL 21 la la la GRUNTHANK THE DESTROYER". That shows a confident game that knows its strengths: you don't care about the quest, you want to kill the monsters. T2 is fun and worth buying, especially given its reasonable price, but Runic have not managed to recreate the absolute perfection that was T1. BTW I have never played any of the diablo games, I'm comparing T2 only to the amazing fun I had with T1. Expand
  50. Dec 19, 2012
    While it lacks Diablo 3's looks with it's cartoon dayglow colours and simpler art style, it certainly makes up for it in every other way, the game is faster paced, feels more sturdy and sticks largely to the original diablo methods for skill trees and prgression. Loot side of things is right up there with Borderlands series.... theres simply tonnes of stuff, and thankfully without a god aweful action house you have to actualy earn everything.

A perfect companion game to Diablo 3, different enough to feel different doing the same thing.
  51. Jun 15, 2013
    This game is horrible compared to the first. The graphics are are fuzzier, not as sharp, the world isn't nearly as appealing as the first game.. Loot drops are favor what ever classes you AREN'T playing. Got a Outlander to up level 20 and no pistol drops anywhere, and yet they start you out with pistols. Stupid level design nowhere near as cool as the first game and the controls are still an unintuitive mess. The only reason anyone gives this game a 10 is because it doesn't suck as bad as Diablo 3, but it still sucks. Expand
  52. Sep 25, 2013
    Absolutely amazing. Everything D3 wasn't, and more. I'm getting ready to start my New Game+ and I'm more excited than I was at the beginning of my first play-through.

I can't say anything that hasn't been said before! GET THIS GAME!
  53. Aug 11, 2013
    I don't know why people giving Torchlight 2 so high scores. I really felt cheated when the feedback was so good, and then the reality was very different.

- THE BAD:

Graphics are bad with no detail, combat is lazy with no impact, monsters have little variety, landscape neither has about any variety at all, boring quests (It's an APRG, surprise), story is boring, there are few classes
    and the customization is also scraping the bottom,

- THE GOOD:

You can apply mods and multiplayer is keeping the game alive, but ony by a bit.

I didn't finish the game after 18 hours of gameplay I gave up due to the game was too boring.
  54. May 19, 2013
    An uninspired Diablo 2 clone, dumbed down for the kiddies. It's much too easy. In three hours on Hard I might have drunk three health potions. There's no sense of world, no persistent characters, and no storyline to speak of. There's not even a world map to give you any sense of this world you're expected to save. It fails as a game, and it fails as a story.
  55. Aug 15, 2013
    I don't usually give out 10s, even amazing games with tons of playtime and play value get a 9. But Torchlight II is unbelievably fun. I've played through the entire game and started a New Game Plus and it's still fun! I played the original FATE game (and it's predecessors) a long time ago, and I loved them so much I was ecstatic to hear about a modern remake, and they did not disappoint in any area! In fact, even though I hold FATE as a classic and precious to me because of personal memories, Torchlight II may even be better. Expand
  56. Dec 29, 2012
    Torchlight II is an amazing game. It lacks in some areas such as the boring story and the uninteresting characters, but this game wasn't built with a wonderful, story-driven experience in mind. Torchlight II is all about hacking and slashing, looting, levelling, exploring, upgrading skills and upgrading your current set of gear. All of these elements of the game are splendid, and the hack-and-slash gameplay can be a surprising challenge at times. The graphics aren't amazing, but the art style is really nice, and the game runs buttery-smooth on my PC. It's an overall very polished game which delivers on many aspects, and is very fun and addictive to play. Expand
  57. Oct 3, 2012
    I wish i could rate this game higher, but the game has some problems i just cant get around. But first, the good: The music is wounderfull, it has a very Diablo 2 feel and i absolutely love it. The price is awesome and i hope the tactic works in their favour. The amount of freedom in how you build and play your character is splendid, im not locked in the same way as you were in Diablo 3. And its a pretty lenghty game with multiplayer for added enjoyment and longlivity. And now for the bad: My biggest problem with this game, and what stops me from enjoying myself is the iOS game feeling i get from it. The controlls feels clunky and unresponsive, as i hit enemies my attacks have no "impact" no "ompf!" it just feels like im flailing around in nothingness and yet stuff is dying. There is problems with the accurateness of the mousepointer also, more then often i find myself accidently picking up stuff i do not want or struggeling with clicking on something that i want to use thanks to the pointer not acctually beeing where it tells me it is. I do not know if this is a problem with just my system, ive tried mixing around with mouse settings in setpoint and disabled my other monitors if the game had some problems with my eyefinity setup but still, the problem persists. The graphics, althou very nice, mixed with the clunkyness of the menues adds to the feeling that i am playing a game ported from an iPad to a PC, which is not the case. All in all this is a good game that would have been a great game if it was not for the iOS-game feeling i get from it. Expand
  58. Apr 28, 2013
    For the Diablo fans disappointed by the changes made to the most recent game in the series, Torchlight II will make them feel right at home. Runic Games has basically taken the gameplay and story from Diablo II and set it in the world of Torchlight. However, this is also the game’s Achilles Heel as it might feel a bit too similar to some.
  59. Oct 24, 2013
    Fantastic game. One of the best in the genre. Fun, fast paced and awesome, near overwhelming amounts of loot. The skills are all very good and allow for reasonably diverse character builds and the combat is very responsive & satisfying.

The game truly shines when modded. Throw Synergies and the T2 Essentials mod in and you'll get an extra 70 hours worth of content, half a dozen new
    classes and countless new pets to choose from.

Could not recommend it enough.
  60. Oct 6, 2012
    I bought this game for the multilayer, couldn't get passed the "strict nat" issue after following the recommendations on their website. So didn't really get to play the game. For anyone wanting to buy this and play it with friends, keep in mind that you may be in for an uphill battle.

I really wanted to love this game after the disappointment of a "certain other game" where the
    multiplayer was so easy to use you often had people in your game whether you wanted them there or not.

Gave it a 5 because you can't argue with the release price.
  61. Feb 25, 2013
    This is the user-friendly version of what D3 could have been. This game has support for single player, online, and even LAN. There is also a new mod that adds a Necromancer class, news maps, and tons of other features. Game play is fun and fast paced. The graphics are simple, but not bad looking. My only serious complaint is that the options to respec your character traits are limited to only the three most current traits selected. Once you go down a path, you are kind of stuck with it. There are workarounds for this issue, but I havent tried any of those yet. This really limits players options for testing new strategies and trait combos along with new gear. I dont understand the logic of this design choice at all. Other than that its a great game at a great price. Expand
  62. Kyo
    Dec 17, 2012
    A lot of people like to compare this to Diablo 3 it is generally the same game, but Torchlight 2 does something that Diablo 3 failed to do; Make you want to play more of it. I got sick of Diablo 3 after nightmare mode, just playing the same damn game for the 3rd time in a row tired me out. I have played all of the classes in TL2 so that's 4 times and I still find something new I hadn't the first time. New maps, new enemies, new weapons and armor. Every time you play this game something is always different and new. Killing enemies is very satisfying, hitting something with a giant two handed hammer and watching them blow up into bits of blood and flesh, is kind of awesome. The gameplay is much more fast paced it feels quick like you are a badass just mowing through enemies; It feels more like and action rpg then D3 did. And just being able to customize your characters stats and abilities is a big plus not just giving you a set of "use this, or this but that's it" like D3 had.

One big con for me is that you can't respec more than you 3 recent abilities. I can enjoy games like this more when I can get the most out of my character without having to start a new one, If I get bored of one spec I and try a different one, or try all 3 and see which one I like the most. That is fixed with a mod, but it would have been nice to have free range with that in game. Speaking of mods this game has a huge mod scene much like the first one which in my opinion keep the game alive longer, and I can expect that with the second. I can't wait to see what people come up with! Torchlight was a great game, but to me it always felt unfinished like it was missing the finale bit of polish or the finale bit of testing. Torchlight 2 fills that void I had felt with the first one it feels like a finished game, feels like a lot of work with into it, that they were making a game for the fans rather than money. They deserve all the good that has come there way with this game, and I can't wait to see this company's next installment!
  63. Dec 30, 2012
    Torchlight II is fun. It's a simple, point and click dungeon crawler, like the first. No changes to gameplay, and I haven't completed the story, so I don't know how the story compares, but it has more variety to the dungeons, which is fantastic. The first game had some variety, yes, but that was only done by going into the Torchlight mine and descending down further and further. The way Runic has designed the dungeons in the sequel is more along the lines of unique dungeons being placed throughout the world, and the player explores them to find loot and gain experience. The weapons have also changed a bit. Rifles have been replaced with crossbows, and the game has introduced shotguns and claws to the mix. You may also customize the appearance of your character, unlike in the previous one where you had a set appearance. Overall, it's a good improvement over an already good game. Expand
  64. Apr 22, 2013
    It might be me, since I've not seen a game I'd call great in this genre for quite some time. T2 in my opinion fails in the same way the first one did. It's way too easy for the most part and it gets unbearably dull after five or so hours. I didn't finish it, I just decided to get off the treadmill after falling asleep a few times. Also, I've found performance lacking (even in single player), which is hard to pardon given the visuals. Expand
  65. Dec 10, 2012
    If I could only say a sentence about it I'd say It wound disappoint you like Diablo III did.
    The loot you get won't be nerf'd all the time. Your gameplay won't be over controlled. And the very most important thing: you can actually have fun playing it.
    What else should you expect from a game?
  66. Dec 29, 2012
    This game is amazing. Cost you only 20$ and provide you something that is priceless. Game world is vast and huge and playable character are totally different from one another. Which not only bring the variety but also add more and more replay-ability. I starting the game for fourth time to improve one character. Each time you change the character you will have to change your game play style and that is really fun. And the multiplayer mode of the game is also good and balanced. And the story line of the game is really good. Its a must have game for you if are a die hard hack and slash RPG fan. Expand
  67. Oct 28, 2013
    Lots of fun, whether alone or with friends. Tons of different monsters, cool levels, and of course items with plenty of room for enchantments and embers to further customize your equipment. I never really got into the story and felt nothing for the characters, but that isn't the point of this game nor was it the reason I played it. Fun to play and definitely recommended if you love ARPG games like Diablo. Expand
  68. Dec 8, 2012
    Perfect 10! This game is amazing and got some very good improvements from the first series..If you really liked Diablo 2 (not 3 :P) then this game is for you. Everything is amazing in this game. The skills, the alchemies, the gems, the gear, THE GAMEPLAY!! dont get to say from the start that the graphics are for kids...damn! Its the gameplay that it counts..and after all the people who are complaining about the graphics are those who playing WOW and LOL ...I'm laughing at them so bad.. TL2 is an amazing game..only thing that misses is the ladder system! Expand
  69. Jan 20, 2013
    The ARPG that might save a genre! With D3's utter failure we(gamers) were left wondering if a truly fun and exciting genre was coming to an end? Had the ARPG run it's course? Nope, take the guys whop made D2 and fire them and have them come back and make another remarkable sequel.

The game gets a 9 from me. Would be and maybe a 10 in future if they can get the networking issues fixed.
    Also, the legendary loot needs work. It's almost as bad as the other ARPG that came out earlier.... Expand
  70. Dec 20, 2012
    Make no mistake: this game is better than it's direct opponent (aka Diablo III) in 2 of the 3 main points: gameplay and loot. However, it falls behind on the imersion thing: lore, history and characters. It's a great game, but after finishing it I had no desire to play it again. D3, on the other hand, I played til finish on Inferno, and that's saying a LOT about replayability. Sure, people likes to bash D3 because it's made by a rich and big company and defend the indie Torchlight, but in the end the games are almost equivalent on a final veredict. In short: Torchlight 2 is a better game, hands down. However, had Blizzard held back and launched D3 with all the features it haves now and without the anoying conection problems, I don't know if I could judge the games in the same way. Expand
  71. Dec 28, 2012
    Outstanding game for its genre. The game play, mechanics, and combat are all outstanding. If you are/were a fan of Diablo 2 then you owe it to yourself to give this a try. Whereas the graphics are not the photo-realism of modern games, I don't care a whit. I will take great game design over graphics any day of the week. And still, I don't mind the cartoony nature of the models, most of the environments look pretty good too. Seriously, don't waste your money on Diablo 3 (as I did..) - just load up Torchlight II and get clicking! Expand
  72. Dec 30, 2012
    The best hack n slash rpg game! Better than Diablo III! If you like h'n's rpg's you MUST play this game! Beautifull graphics, nice skills, epic battles and more... This is Torchlinght II!
  73. Jan 5, 2013
    Torchlight 2 is about the adventure, the teamwork, the options, the variety of game play, but most importantly the fun. The moment you begin you feel immersed in this visually beautiful world, and you don't want to stop playing. TL 2 stays true to the Action RPG genre, and has a ton of re-playability. When the mod editor is eventually released, the game will be full of even more options, showing how a game that's open can be successful; a true successor to the first Torchlight. Expand
  74. Jan 7, 2013
    I have Diablo 3 and i had fun with that game, but it is later boring...Torchlight 2 is the Diablo killer for me..because pvp, play offline single, no buy for win, play for win ...
  75. Mar 20, 2013
    A thing of beauty. I have more then 300 hours clocked on Steam, with very good reason. This game is a hack 'n slash action RPG with 4 classes to choose from and skilltrees that allow for endless variations. The characters play the story in 4 acts, with each of these acts playing in a randomly generated world. Messing around with class/skilltree/gear is perfectly fine on easier difficulties, but if you want to survive the highest difficulty, only the best builds will do. Weapon and armor drops have random stats just like in Borderlands. And you can customize them even further by slotting in gems and/or having them enchanted. Add in shops, a gambling vendor, fishing (heh) and a load of end-game content... Well, you get the picture by now. The best thing for me was how well balanced and polished this all feels. And at the price they're selling it, I advise everyone to try it. Expand
  76. Jul 25, 2013
    Torchlight 2 is the sequel of Torchlight and is much better, because it has a coop mode, is better designed and is more fun! It looks good, it has the Steam workshop and an editor. You will have a long time fun with it!
  77. Feb 9, 2013
    In the way of Action RPGs the "Diablo" franchise has always seemed to have lead the way. After playing through Torchlight 2, I'd say this game's game play easily defeats that of "Diablo". The graphics take a little to adjust to and the initial game opening starts off slow, but 10-20 levels into your character you will see exactly how amazing this game is! Many have been looking for a "Action-RPG" that would once again make them feel the same way as they felt playing through Diablo 2. A handful of things this game simplified that Diablo 2 3 failed to execute: Inventory No more saving up Gems Embers to transmute into higher ones.
    Item Transfers You now have a personal stash and a shared stash that allows easy transfer-ability between characters.
    Full Inventory Your "Mercenary Pet" is now able to run to town and empty your inventory for you, as well as go shopping for you while you remain on the battlefield!
    Specialization Ever wanted to try an ability out to see how it pairs the way you're building your character? You can remove 3 of your last talent points spent and replace them, if you dislike the direction the new ability was taking your character's play style.
    Secondary Spells Or rather spells that you can find while playing through the game, allows more customization to one's own character, as well as mercenary pet! No more going to specific Acts on specific difficulties for that one mercenary ability you want!

Anyhow, if you can get past the initial graphic difference, since this game is definitely nowhere near as "beautiful" as Diablo 3, this game beats out any other Action-RPG, coming from a hardcore Action-RPG player who player Diablo 1, and then Diablo 2 religiously. Take my advice and get into this game, you will not regret it, I promise you!
  78. Apr 25, 2014
    Nice game. I like the fast paced gameplay. Super interesting characters and spells. Nice soundtrack and overall game atmosphere............. thoroughly impressed
  79. Apr 6, 2013
    A true pioneering game in the action role playing game series, it manages to deliver what player wants in such a short time frame for only $20 (sometimes lower), no bullhonky DRM, no traffic jam, and possibly the first action PRG to fully support modding. I would totally recommend this to people who want to try diablo 3.
  80. Mar 21, 2013
    A disappointing sequel to one of the best ARPGs I've played... I just got bored within a few hours of playing it. With Torchlight 1, I finished the game 4 times because it was so captivating and all the skills were so fun and unique. Torchlight 2 just doesn't feel as deep it's a bigger game, but not necessarily as captivating to one's imagination. The graphics are too distant, the story line's a bit monotonous and slow. The multiplayer is a big letdown when you do get a good game it's really not that different from single player... but I can see it work nicely if you've got some friends on it and playing together as a team. Expand
  81. Apr 2, 2013
    The first thing that comes to mind when I start this game, is the non immersive cartoony graphics. The one thing positive about this is you can argue I don't have a low spec system, so I can't test this theory) that the game 'should' be playable on low end systems.

The game's graphics detract so much sometimes from gameplay, that it makes it difficult to see grades in the landscape
    making the game annoying to traverse.

I did enjoy the pet system, not because I can use my poor pet because Im too lazy to go back to town with my brave pet, but because I'd rather play through the game with my pet dog, than with a follower from other similar games in the genre.

The player RUNS through the game far too early, making it seems as if my player is constantly on caffeine, which is something that RPG fans prob. won't like a great deal, but 'younger' generation players probably will.

The stat screen is interesting enough, but I personally found the 'Skill' screen very ugly and diminished by immersion a lot, whereas with Diablo 3 it's the exact opposite.

The overall feeling of this game is very childish and non immersive, as much as I wanted to like it overall, I just can't. The outside levels are bad enough in that regard, but going into a dungeon feels like mayberry RFD instead of a gritty dungeon experience which again Diablo 3 offers in spades though admittedly neither succeed in that area given there are no torches for area effect ).

THe fact that you can't change your skills once they are in place alienates players who might make mistake placing them, just as was done in Diablo 2, and I found that very distasteful then as well, so Im very appreciative of Blizzards foresight in making skills changeable with no obvious penalty short of a small 1 minute or so visual showing the new skill reenergizing.

I would like to say the game was fun, that it drew me IN, but it's not when you consider that it is hard to get 'into the game' given the lacking immersion, for reasons stated above, and the poorly designed skills screen wasn't helping me at all. The sound and visual effects are just fine and do help to alleviate the issues above,but it's not really enough to overcome them for me.

IT's quite clear, that they chose their 'visual' look very cartoony, in a lowered style compared to Diablo 3, etc.) to appeal to a younger audience which is fine, but I feel it left out the hardcore audience that wants realism. Diablo 2 is a 10 year old game now, but it's look and feel is not diminished, and Diablo 3 which veered off course thankfully....) skill and stat wize has managed to maintain a immersion factor of 10 and is the one true Diablo 2 sequel in this authors opinion.

Just as with WoW, I would prefer to have a decent 'pet system' for Diablo 3, which may come in a expansion, so I will give TL2 one extra positive mark for entertaining those of us who love our pets and want them by our gaming side, vs ordinary boring followers.

I did not try Networking, but I hear its frought with issues both in stability and profanity in game 'titles'.

One last note; while diablo 3 does the same basic thing, I take one mark away from TL2 for not attaching offensive spells animations to our actual choice of weapon wiz here), thereby removing another source of needed immersion for this visually inferior game adult crowd at least, and I suspect many 'kids' out there too given our technological age ).

All in all, the game succeeds in showing us a fantasy based world full of button mashing necessity yet fails to deliver on style. At the asking price of $20 or $10 right now on Steam) and given there is a GUTS editor to making MOD's for TL2, it's hard to debate the net worth compared to other titles going for $60 in todays market.

The replayability suffers from the games lacking emmersion, but at least there is a GUTS editor for those that have managed to outlast that shallowness, and dynamic challenges placed throughout the game world do help to alleviate some of that, but given the possible lack of maturity given this games look and feel, I can't imagine that the experience would be worth it.

I also found that with a lot of spells going on at the sametime I can imagine that MP would be far far worse), that a otherwise visual delight is otherwise turned into visually confusing mayhem making anything interesting turn into a indistinguishable mess a lot of the time. Diablo 3 did a fine job of fine tuning that,short of 4 players and monsters hordes, where even that scenario is doable. I also thought that while overall acceptable, that a better job could have been done with visual spell effects .

I think it's a shame that the less mature among this forum's inhabitants were so harsh on Diablo 3 given ridiculous scores of '0', so I will avoid that silliness entirely and mark this game on its actual 'merits' ,not some super childish antics.

Graphics: 3
    Immersion: 0
    Mechanics: 8
    Replayability: 7
    Sound: 5
  82. Apr 4, 2013
    Torchlight 2 is a long awaited sequel to the original Torchlight. The graphics are amazing, the combat mechanics are well paced and the levels are randomly generated every time. Although the gameplay does not introduce anything new, it doesn't fail to bring back a sense of nostalgia for action RPG fans.

If you enjoyed playing Diablo in your youth, then consider getting it. It is more
    than it's value for $15 on Steam Expand
  83. Apr 7, 2013
    To begin with, I have never really played or got in to arpg games in my entire life. When my friends were playing d2, I was playing cs. I've been always the fps guyg and lately I got in LoL but that games started bore me too. When I picked up tl2 I was blown away by pure fun this game was offering. I initially torrented this game but I just had to buy to suport the devs. I never new arpg could be this much fun. From killing monster with my duel pistol to looting.....there are so many things to give u satisfaction which I think it lacks in most of the games today. It is especially satisfying when I kill multiple enemies with crits because they literally explode in to red mist. Maxing out dexterity on outlanders are truly fun. Anyway this game may not have the best look but it has its own beauty to it with its cartoony graphics amd I gotta admit...I need to give diablo 2 a try. This game truely opened my eyes to arpg game. Plz fps player, if you never tried arpg games tl2 is a good starter imo Expand
  84. Jun 9, 2013
    gameplay is boring and graphic are too cartoonish for my taste. an improvement over the first installment, but not sufficient enough to make it to a positive rating.
  85. Jul 15, 2013
    Like a true master of PR, Runic Games released their Torchlight 2 very close to Blizzards' Diablo 3. The differences between the two games seem subtle at first, but become very apparent when playing either game for a longer time. This review will put these two games side by side, because it seems the best way to get the point of this review across: Runic has taken everything that made Torchlight and Diablo great, and added everything it was missing to achieve near-perfection.

Big plus One: Freedom & Pricing
    TL2 is a game without DRM. It is also a game that costs far less than Diablo 3. To top it off, you get the editor along with it, opening up the way for mod communities to go wild on it. Where Diablo 3 offers a single, linear storyline with replayability only through ramping up the difficulty, TL2 offers a neverending Mapworks along with it, which keeps spawning random maps to play with various penalties or bonuses.

Big Plus Two: Customization and Character building
    Where Diablo 3 served players with an ever-increasing amount of options that could be 'respecced' as often as you wanted, TL2 offers skill trees that restrict and allow the use of specific, tailored builds and more variety in playstyles. TL2 offers a small selection of class-specific gear to find, while everything else, from weapons to armor and jewelry, is usable by every single class, again adding variety within a single class where D3 offers none.

Big Plus Three: Actually gaming, instead of worrying about money or lag.
    Where Diablo 3 offered a launch that was far from smooth, TL2 has no compulsory always-online, and no Real Money Auction House that completely destroyed in-game economy and fueled hordes of account hackers and monetary issues. Better yet, TL2 has no lag and plays more responsively, quicker and with far less issues and zero downtime. It sounds ridiculously obvious, and it is exactly that.

Regardless of the existence of Diablo, Torchlight 2 simply is one of the most enjoyable dungeon crawlers on the market. Even recent patches to both games have not managed to change this perspective.

The only advantage granted to Diablo 3 over TL2, is that it has a larger online community, but I seriously question whether D3 also has the larger amount of satisfied players.
  86. Oct 10, 2013
    This game is very well made and better than the original in all respects, but it’s only fun up to a point. The story is basically non-existent (like most games in this genre) so once the loot collecting & pointing and clicking get tedious, you’ll struggle for a reason to continue. The graphics at least stay fresh and give every area its own identity, but even though you feel like you’re exploring different places, you’re always doing the exact same thing in those places, which is clicking to kill monsters. A whole lot of monsters. Over & over again.

One huge plus is the devs opening the game up to the Steam Workshop. That has allowed people to make some incredible mods that add depth and fun to the game not included with the original version. That combined with the low price move this one up from a 7 to an 8 for me.

I might force myself to sit through a couple more hours of clicking so I can click all the way through to the end, just to say I did, but I’ll certainly never go back and start a new game over. If these types of games are your cup of tea, though, you’ll like it a lot and should pick it up.
  87. i0n
    Sep 3, 2013
    A truly impressive title on it's own merits not to mention the incredibly low price this is definitely one for lovers of Diablo style gameplay. In all honesty however, I enjoyed Torchlight II a great deal more than the Blizzard title(s) and was taken aback by the pace, graphics, gameplay mechanics and replayability. This is what Diablo 3 should have been. Excellent work Runic Games.
  88. Sep 10, 2013
    An amazing game this is what I want from a Dungeon and Dragons game! I have spent countless hours playing this game there are a ton of things to do! Amazing game, buy it!!
  89. Oct 25, 2013
    I find this game to be very enjoyable. The convenience of sending your pet to the store to help clear your inventory has to be one of the best attributes of the game. The scenery is very pleasant and the effects are nice as well.

Yes this game is very similar to the game-play of Diablo, but it isn't depressing. All of the Diablo games are so gloomy throughout the entire storyline. Even
    though the games are similar they are still very different. You will always have similar games that fall under the same Genre. Torchlight & Torchlight 2 are very refreshing games because they allow you to progress through the game without spending half your time organizing or making attribute additions to you characters.

Torchlight II is very much like the first one, but a lot of games tend to be that way. The first game was more along the lines of a Beta version for the second. I'm glad they didn't change much and they have added a lot of new maps that aren't Gloomy and Depressing like most Dungeon Crawlers. Love the game and I am thankful to the Developers for creating Torchlight II.
  90. Mar 29, 2014
    Kill, loot, sell, kill, loot, sell, give points for level and attributes. Repeat 100x

A pretty hard game when you want to deal with it ion elite hardcore. In total 4 classes that are pretty good balanced. Awsome new graphic (since Diablo 2). Perfect just to sit down, connect to a friends server and click till your fingers will burn.

Starting at the moment my third character (engi,
    bersi done) and I still don't get the point what happens in the story, but I seriously don't care. When you like games like Diablo just try it and you will gonna love it.

8+/10
  91. May 18, 2014
    Not being a fan of adventure games, I find, however, that Torchlight II is an excellent game, the best in its class, some contradict me, but that's my opinion. Torchlight II is a game with a well-crafted story, the graphics are beautiful, and even if you can only include 4 classes, classes are not less desirable. Each has its own attacks its own objects, and each complete with others. The game is also good solo and co-op, although still play two more fun. In short, a game not to be missed, and play with a friend. Expand
  92. Jun 29, 2014
    Ever since Diablo 2, the excellent hack'n'slash game I really enjoyed and spent days and days with it is Torchlight 2 the only game which is at the similar level. It has its own cartoon graphic and the game play is just...so catchy. Four difficulty levels with possibility to go NG+5 gives you pretty satisfying challenge. (and legendary drop items are not ruined by some stupid online auction houses) Expand
  93. Jun 13, 2014
    It does something, and it does it pretty well. Most importantly, it's really fun! It may get a TAD repetitive at times (still only a tad), but I find this unable to hinder my progress in the game in any way. Buy this game if you have the money, and if you're familiar with other RPG's you could find this fun as well.
  94. Jun 26, 2014
    I literally love this game.

I was getting bored of these types of games after playing the three diablo games and a few others friends recommended, but my friend told me it was cheap and we should try it together. The first hour we delved into it I felt it was the same old game, but it was certainly fun and engaging. The randomized maps that are different, but yet still feel the same add
    to the atmosphere of the game and add depth. The bosses are fun and somewhat difficult, you need to know where to go and what spells to use at what times. The classes are probably the best part about the game because if everyones a different one it works together perfectly.

I don't know what else to say about this game, the graphics, style and atmosphere are all unprecedented. The mods added a ton of extra fun to have and PVP made this game a hell of a lot more fun too. If you are looking for a dungeon crawler similar to diablo, for less money but just as good other than the sound and a slight graphical change, buy this game instantly!
  95. Jun 24, 2013
    I don't understand the overwhelmingly high scores for this game, because Torchlight II feels to me like the pinnacle of mediocrity. Really I can only bring myself to play it after having played Diablo 3 to death; over 300 hours for D3 and only 20 for T2.

My main problem with T2 is that it copies ideas from every other RPG and has almost no originality--or at least no good, original
    ideas. I swear several of the music tracks sound like they were ripped right out of Diablo 2. I've been playing an embermage and the skills, while pretty original, are hit or miss in the fun department; but it does have some limited respecing, which is appreciated. The loot is kind of difficult to figure out the mechanics of as you're never quite sure what effect some of the modifiers will have, albeit it's not as bad as Dungeon Siege III in this aspect. Same thing for spell properties and damage. You're given a DPS rating for the weapons in your hand but no average spell damage. And the most mystifying thing of all is the character attributes. As a mage, your damage is increased by both Focus, Strength, and Dexterity--it boggles the mind! Aside from that, the story--as others have pointed out--is complete trash, I just skip right over it.

As far as good things, there isn't much to point out. But it does have support for mods, which is nice, but it's nowhere near Skyrim mod levels. I'm wracking my head trying to think of more good things about this game, but it's just so... average.
  96. Jan 26, 2013
    a really fun game, i got tired of the combat quick, but the weapons armor and enchantments always keep you intrigued. i enjoy it played 6 hours so far and am hoping to finish the game soon. the graphics are cartoony and colorful. fun game worth getting.
  97. Jan 11, 2013
    I love the first Torchlight and played it though numerous times. Despite alot of things being better in TL2, something it missing. The game is just plain old boring. The skills are mindless with zero depth. You'll be using the same 2-3 abilities from lvl 1 right to the end of the game. Gear seams to matter little apart from better stats. I was able to finish this game once... barely (not from difficulty but from tedium) and haven't touched it since. Its really too bad, had this simply been TL1 + multiplayer it would've rocked. As it stands, its just bland... Expand
  98. Jul 1, 2013
    I wasn't very fond of the first Torchlight game, mainly because I kinda never grew up with Diablo games (I was too young when Diablo came and I couldn't understand how RPG worked), but as a game itself it was pretty fun...for about 10 hours. Infact the first game lacked a bit of variation and I just couldn't help myself to continue. TL2 however improves everything from the first, and I will sum it up in 2 BIG points.

1)When I bought this game, I was impressed by how it was open and how big it became: we have 4 classes now and each have their own skill set and they do feel unique, even though we lost some "unique" feature from the previous game (the destroyer was big, the alchemist was slim, and the ranger was a pretty gorgeous woman). That aside, the game is BIG although it still lacked variation and while I do play it more than the previous game, I still get bored pretty quickly (and the story is kinda non existant). We also get the online play but I really hardly tried it and there's not many people online, and if they are they're usually higher level than me, which meant I was a a pain for them. Still a good thing however.
    Definitely a good rpg to play anyway I didn't dislike it at all...until...

2)...the day the mods came. NOW the fun really began! While we kinda lost the possibility to play online (we still can, but it requires that you have the exact addons that the host has), the game is so much amplified and varied now: modders always give us new classes (I just restarted with one), new features (dungeons, customizations, pets), new icons and HUDs, and many other things that actually makes you wanna try out for good. The only downside is that you can only put 10 mods at the time (probably for the online feature), but right now the mods makes this game much more varied and enjoyable to try out.

In other words, it was a good game before but now it's even better and I can't wait to see more mods to come; add the fact that is still a huge game (even bigger now!), and the price is pretty cheap too, you can easily spend a ton of hours only experimenting stuff and mods (even though it still suffers from being repetitive and some skills tend to be pretty useless). This is a very solid game and a great sequel to the original Torchlight: if you like Diablo style game (it's the closest genre I can recall), give it a try and enjoy the exploration.
  99. Mar 28, 2013
    This is a great little action game, I like its graphics style, the sound score, the atmosphere and such. However, the graphical fidelity isn't amazing, the gameplay is more of the same (which isn't bad, but not amazing either, imo), the story I didn't pay attention to in the slightest, something with someone, kill it etc. I usually pay attention to the story in games, but here I just couldn't be bothered. I didn't really see or experience any bugs, so it, to me, is quite a polished game, which adds to the fun, by being less frustrating than the competition.

All in all its a very acceptable game, but I can't bring myself to play it more than I have, however, for the money it cost, and the amount of hours I got out of it, it is a damn good deal. If you like action games, get it. 7/10
  100. Aug 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's a very nice game, not expensive at all, and very fun to play. Unfortunately, it is not polished, and small things amount to such an extent that it becomes really hard to enjoy the game.
    For example, there is a solid delay between your attack and movement actions; so when you are in the middle of a fight, hitting that mouse button to kick some monster buts, and suddenly your health drops to the point where you want to run you start clicking away, but your hero will continue to swing his hammer for a couple of times, until he reacts. By that time, of course, he will be dead. You have two alternative weapons configurations: so you may equip a shield and a sword as one, and a bow as the other configuration. If you equip two two-handed weapons in both configuration slots, one weapon defaults to right hand, the other to left. Now when you open up your Archaic Stats (where you can see all of your Hero's details, such as damage), not only need you to switch both configurations, you also need to switch the hands, in essence destroying all sense in comparison. Basically, you cannot compare both configurations' damage easily. Which brings us yet to another silly design blooper: when you point to an item, the statistic insert jumps out at you, and if it's let's say a weapon, two more stat inserts will jump our (for weapons in both your hands), effective covering ALL of your screen. Now, i could NOT (no matter how i tried) compare my ring's protection properties with the Actual Hero's Stats of Elemental protection. Unacceptable. Then, there are the graphics i like the overall design and atmosphere, but the textures are just washed out dyes. I did not feel personal with the Hero no matter how the equipped armor changed her looks. The weapons are actually terribly designed a cannon is a cylinder, and a sword is a stick. And Rare or Uniques do not differ from normal or enchanted sets. Major turn off. I was also playing on difficult setting, and could not amount any money whatsoever (the most i have possessed was around 30k), simply because as in the beginning of the game, or at level 40 you will set good items, really good sets or rares for around 100-200 gold pieces. What?! The skill tree is weird you cannot re-stat your points (actually, you can buy back only 3 latest points spent), and earlier skills do not contribute to later ones. So, does that mean that we should wait until Level 40 when the last skill opens up in a specific skill set tree to use it?! Come on... Things like that are all over the game; thankfully, Torchlight II is modable, and many people are making it better and better every day, with mods and improvements. Overall OK.
  101. May 20, 2013
    Its a really fun top-down, hack-and-slash action RPG. If you're not into that genre really, you might like it anyway, because before I wasn't into that genre, and now it seems I kind of am. There's a good amount of content, and there's end-game content as well. The story is alright. The voice acting is pretty good. Nice audio, nice visuals. There's modding support, that's pretty cool. The development team, Runic, is pretty good--they've released a few (free) updates, including content updates. There's online (peer-to-peer) and LAN! Its pretty bug free, except: some class abilities have problems (ex. misleading descriptions); there seems to be some issues with playing online or LAN; there seems to be a lot of issues playing modded online or LAN; some minor spacial, gameplay issues in the game (ex. moving not where you intended). I'd pay around $30 for this game, or more. Collapse

Torchlight 2 offers everything an action RPG fan wants: a huge campaign, variety of enemies, a rich system of quality loot, well-balanced and fresh classes with different build options, care-free and fun multiplayer modes. [November 2012]
  2. Dec 13, 2012
    Sure, it might not reinvent the wheel as built by Diablo II over a decade ago, but Runic deserves props for perfectly recreating the formula. Many others have tried to bring their own take on Diablo to the market-and failed. Runic didn't, which makes Torchlight II an essential purchase for anyone who loves to crawl through dungeons while scoring phat loot.
  3. Nov 25, 2012
    A slick action RPG with wit and charm, this is a genuine alternative to Diablo III. [Christmas 2012, p.93]