Torchlight PC

8.0

1. Jun 22, 2016
    2/13/2012: Torchlight doesn't have multiplayer. That is a major shortcoming in this sort of game. That said, it's a damn good dungeon crawler. Coming from the developers behind the first two Diablos (and featuring music by the same composer, a man that will make you believe guitars can sound haunting and foreboding) it should come as no surprise that it does everything those games did and2/13/2012: Torchlight doesn't have multiplayer. That is a major shortcoming in this sort of game. That said, it's a damn good dungeon crawler. Coming from the developers behind the first two Diablos (and featuring music by the same composer, a man that will make you believe guitars can sound haunting and foreboding) it should come as no surprise that it does everything those games did and more, with various time-saving, anti-frustration features that serve to streamline the game experience and keep you in the fight. I played Torchlight for a lot longer then it took to simply beat the final boss, which should be testament to it's sheer addictiveness. However, an addictive game is not necessarily a fun one, and Torchlight will eventually wear out it's welcome in your library. It's worth its low price for what you get, but at this point you may be better off waiting for the multiplayer sequel or the eventual MMO. Expand
  2. May 12, 2015
  3. Mar 27, 2015
    I've started playing this wonderful adventure as a hobby on my laptop, but ended as AAA, later I've noticed that it came from the Diablo 2 developers; it is obvious that Blizzard couldn't buy talent in Diablo 3 because these guys were the real brain behind Diablo 1 and 2. This game feels as a "light Diablo clone" but it came from the original developers so it is not a clone, is just what they do.
  4. Nov 3, 2014
    A really fun solo dungeon crawler. I got fairly addicted as I kept going further and further into dungeon. Graphics are adorable, and they complement the gameplay,story and overall design of the world really well. I played this in 2014, and it holds up very well.
  5. Oct 14, 2014
    This game is absolutely fine as a dungeon crawler - it works really well, is balanced well and the combat is fun. It's far superior to Diablo III in almost all regards. The story may never reach epic heights nor will the gameplay stun you with its intricacies but it does what it does well.
  6. Jun 21, 2014
    TORCHLIGHT on my scale gets a 7.5/10 this game is very nice the map systeam the low graphics allow lesser player to experience a game like diablo. for this review will have some comparisons with diablo but no game should be just like diablo.
    The storage system in this game amazes me the fact it doesnt have expansion but, it teaches you how to manage to give to another character.
    The
    The stash and shared stash is something that also raised this game to my liking.
    So say you beat the game hurah! and u want to play on hard mode and not lose all your weapons there u go the shared stash will allow you to redo the game but keep ur kick butt weapons.
    Hud- well the hud i do not completely understand everytime i try to put an abillity inside it doesnt all i hv is a health potion an a pre-set abillity i dont even want! that plays a factor in the losing .5%.
    the fighting in this game is a little off perfect there is a bug that will make your character stand still and not move and you wont be able to drink a health potion either truly something the ruins the immersfulness of the game.
    lastly the pet, the pet u get is something that seperates the game from other you start off with this pet and hes with you all the time when ur in a sticking sitiuation your dog/cat/etc.. will come and save your butt. if you equip your pet right with the right spells it will help A-LOT.
    this game is something i play on the side but i will complete it i very much reccomend buying this game and once i get torchlight 2 i will review that thanks id you read this all.
  7. Jun 10, 2014
    this game i long and creative.how theres little portals that put u in a secret mine or something and the game is clear not all pixeled it prefect love the game u have to try it!
  8. Oct 13, 2013
    Technical Issues[10]
    ------------------------------------
    Over All[7.7]
  9. Aug 12, 2013
    A very fresh game, and finally something besides Diablo II (which is still the best RPG Slasher-Looter-Level_Upper) which is worthy the gamers' attention. Tons of stuff, loot, weapons, skill trees. And considering the price no brainer!
  10. Jul 28, 2013
    This RPG game is great! it has awesome music, fun classes, addictive gameplay, lots of cool items, plenty of multiplayer options (such as LAN, Offline mode, etc) an all that for only 20 bucks... a must have!
  11. Jun 25, 2013
    Torchlight is simple, fresh and fun RPG. Many of its elements resemble earlier Diable games. Storytelling is a bit lacking and the game can become repetitive towards the end. If you're looking simple and fun game to play for weekend or two, this is worth buying.
  12. Jun 5, 2013
    I love Titan Quest and I've been desperate to find a newer game like it that isn't Diablo 3. This game is fantastic in vanilla play. Add mods and the game can become whatever you want. I could put hundreds of hours into this game.
  13. Apr 8, 2013
    A very neat and wonderful game. If it just had a little bit more depth/variety, I'd give it a 10. But this focuses on what's most important; just playing a game and enjoying yourself.
  14. Apr 7, 2013
    For the price of admission, the game is definitely a decent product. It can get pretty repetitive unlike its competitors, but its competitors are considerably more expensive. The cartoon-ish type graphics are great as it makes this a game for all gamers, young/old, experienced/casual, etc. Although it is very similar to other action RPGs, it has its own identity. It seems somewhat shortFor the price of admission, the game is definitely a decent product. It can get pretty repetitive unlike its competitors, but its competitors are considerably more expensive. The cartoon-ish type graphics are great as it makes this a game for all gamers, young/old, experienced/casual, etc. Although it is very similar to other action RPGs, it has its own identity. It seems somewhat short and more shallow than others like Diablo 3.

It won't keep you nearly as busy as others, but if you like Action RPGs or dungeon crawlers, this is a must buy.
  15. Mar 17, 2013
    A great pick up and play game for casual gamers or if you want get mods to go more hardcore. Fun and entertaining for a few hours but with no real storyline, can get boring after awhile. Gameplay is hack and slash, using mouse and hotkeys for spells. You get a nice pet for a companion and there are three characters to choose from and three class trees for each.
  16. Feb 2, 2013
    I'm a huge fan of action RPGs, and this game is definitely the best one I've yet played. It has everything an RPG should have: three different classes, three different pets, tons of weapons,armor, and enemy types, and a magical overworld to top it all off. If you're a fan of Diablo or any other dungeon crawlers like it, pick this up for $15 on Steam. You're guaranteed a good time.
  17. Nov 13, 2012
    A Diablo clone, but much less linear. Unfortunately, there are so many sidepaths that I felt I had to take in this game that I eventually leveled my character higher than the normal campaign's monsters, such that I trivialized the content for myself. The game is just like Diablo 1 but with Diablo 3 graphics.
  18. Nov 3, 2012
    Usually i like to play melee and Torchlight has satisfied my desire to smash everything with a sword and shield. Nice graphics and companion, that fight at your side and can be send to the city for selling your loot, is a brilliant idea.
  19. Oct 11, 2012
    A game I really enjoyed, It has a lot of problems when it was release, but with the Mod community you can add it at less 10 hours more. I really think that this was a beta test for Torchlight 2( of course Runic are just 30 and they are a small company with no money when they did TL1) any way it was super fun
  20. Oct 8, 2012
    Highly addictive, straightforward game (just like Diablo).
    Cannot write a long review...
    Have to go kill some more monsters...
    Just a dozen more...
    I promise...
  21. Oct 8, 2012
    Very good game, well designed skill-trees. You get what you pay :) If you want a game to spend hours with fun. Play this game and support Runic Games.
  22. Sep 28, 2012
    First of, i'm not going to compare it to Diablo. No. I'll add to all the things that people have already said; The game is amazing! It is a perfect example to a game that has less graphics, but more GAMEPLAY and content! The online experience is everything that i wanted from TL1. The H&S is just what you would want from H&S game: "More please!". Simple... The game is rich in content andFirst of, i'm not going to compare it to Diablo. No. I'll add to all the things that people have already said; The game is amazing! It is a perfect example to a game that has less graphics, but more GAMEPLAY and content! The online experience is everything that i wanted from TL1. The H&S is just what you would want from H&S game: "More please!". Simple... The game is rich in content and upgrades from the-already-great TL1 experience; More awesome skills, many quests and dungeons! All-in-all, You will find yourself spending a lot of hours on this one, trust me! Expand
  23. Sep 28, 2012
    This is the first dungeon crawler I have ever played. Definitely am in love with it. I think this game has made me into a dungeon crawler fanatic, in fact! It adheres to my OCD play style where I always have to check something and make sure I did it right. And it rewards me for it.
  24. Sep 27, 2012
    Torchlight is a watered down Diablo 2. If you have played Diablo 2 you will have no problem playing Torchlight. Since it is from the original Diablo 2 creators many of the names, abilities and skills are even called the same. I really liked the look of it, and it played great. It was good enough that I played through the game three times, once with each character class.
  25. Sep 25, 2012
    I love this game, It beated Diablo3 in any way. This is one of the reasons why we should support smaller developers and start ignoring the giant ones who just make games because of profit not because they love making good games.
  26. Sep 16, 2012
    10/10 for being from the original makers of d1 and d2
    and 10/10 for not being **** 3.

What more really needs to be said than, **** that loser diablo 3
  27. Sep 4, 2012
    Torchlight was actually a surprise to me. I'd only ever heard about it a couple times, and the reviews were mixed. But one day, it was on sale on Steam, and I took a chance with it. My first complaint was evident immediately, specifically not being able to customize my character's appearance. See, when I play any RPG, I like to actually create a character, rather than choose a preset andTorchlight was actually a surprise to me. I'd only ever heard about it a couple times, and the reviews were mixed. But one day, it was on sale on Steam, and I took a chance with it. My first complaint was evident immediately, specifically not being able to customize my character's appearance. See, when I play any RPG, I like to actually create a character, rather than choose a preset and just train him. But once I started playing, I started really getting into it, specifically as the Alchemist, as the spells were an absolute blast to use. I didn't really play as the other two classes though, but I had no real desire to. Yes, the gameplay does boil down to left click on enemies, right click to use an assigned spell/ability, and the number keys to use other assigned spells/ abilities or potions. Simple? Yes. Fun? Yes. Easy? Not as much as you'd think. I've died plenty of times because I was hit by a horde of enemies all at once. The story is pretty straightforward, evil guy causing problems, you must kill said evil guy to restore peace. Over-used? A bit. But the dungeon designs are creative, expansive, and a tad bit confusing, which adds to the fun. The loot drops are fun, too, and the mini-boss enemies are a nice touch. All in all, an entertaining game. I just wish it had online multiplayer. Expand
  28. Aug 26, 2012
    A Diablo-like from some of the original creators of Diablo and Diablo II. This game from a team of action-RPG veterans and it shows. The combat is fast-paced and visceral and the randomisation plus modability means there is always something to do.
  29. Aug 6, 2012
    This is a great aRPG for the price, which now is FREE w/ the $19.99 pre-order of Torchlight II on Steam. TL is highly moddable in every aspect and this adds to the re-playability and longevity of the game. The combat is smooth, the drops are frequent and the pets add a nice dimension to the game-play. Even though the game is lacking a couple of key features like co-op and pvp play it isThis is a great aRPG for the price, which now is FREE w/ the $19.99 pre-order of Torchlight II on Steam. TL is highly moddable in every aspect and this adds to the re-playability and longevity of the game. The combat is smooth, the drops are frequent and the pets add a nice dimension to the game-play. Even though the game is lacking a couple of key features like co-op and pvp play it is still worth playing...and w/ TL2 these features will be included. You can't go wrong w/ Torchlight. Expand
  30. Jul 28, 2012
    Torchlight is a simple RPG Adventure game made by Runic Games. It features similarities to World of Warcraft but brings in a whole new level of adventure. If you are a fan of dungeon crawlers, this game will be in for your interest, although it lacks the multiplayer for a game that feels like it should have such a feature, the other features such as Replay Value, class customization, etcTorchlight is a simple RPG Adventure game made by Runic Games. It features similarities to World of Warcraft but brings in a whole new level of adventure. If you are a fan of dungeon crawlers, this game will be in for your interest, although it lacks the multiplayer for a game that feels like it should have such a feature, the other features such as Replay Value, class customization, etc within the game make up for it. Get this on steam and prepare yourself for Torchlight 2 which will be available (or shall be available) on Steam! Expand
  31. Jul 22, 2012
    This is a great game and I'm looking forward to playing Torchlight 2 when it comes out. If you like Diablo 2, you will love this game. Graphics are amazing and game is a lot of fun to play. I haven't purchased Diablo 3 yet and don't plan to unless they drop the price, but Torchlight 2 is definitely a game I will be purchasing at launch.
  32. Jul 21, 2012
    This is the game that Diablo 3 wishes it was. this is just to meet the character requirement this is just to meet the character requirement this is just to meet the character requirement this is just to meet the character requirement this is just to meet the character requirement
  33. Jul 10, 2012
    Excellent game. Can't wait for Torchlight 2. It's a shame Torchlight 2's release date says September 30th! I can't wait that long! Especially since Diablo 3 is terrible, we need an amazing RPG already!
  34. Jul 1, 2012
    After wasting time and money on D3 I've gone back to playing the original Torchlight while I wait for Torchlight 2. I've realized that even the original Torchlight is a better game than D3. You actually get drops that your improve your character. When you break things and open chests you actually get gold and items. Imagine that.
  35. Jun 4, 2012
    Very fun game, this is what i've been missing lately. I can't wait for the sequel. For the ones that say it's too much like Diablo do some research, 2 of the 3 Diablo creators are at Runic games so yes it's meant to be like that.
  36. May 24, 2012
    I'm not a fan of the art direction, it looks way too cartoony and it's basically a style-copy of WoW. However, the gameplay is everything that Diablo 3 should have been. Offline singleplayer (granted no multiplayer, but that's what Torchlight 2 is bringing), no LAG, and you're actually able to customize your character with attribute points and a skill tree (which is sorely lacking in D3).
  37. May 22, 2012
    A perfect game for a low price, and loads of hours of gameplay. Torchlight 2 is going to amazing also. Love these games. I really could care less about Diablo 3 after playing the Torchlight series
  38. May 21, 2012
    I had never bothered much with ARPG genre apart from bastion and a brief rampage through Titan Quest with my friends in which we some how managed to screw up the entire questing system. How ever all the excitement for Diablo 3 was infectious so i wanted to try it again but singleplayer TQ is boring and having pre-ordered Guild Wars 2 I didn't want to spent another £50. So II had never bothered much with ARPG genre apart from bastion and a brief rampage through Titan Quest with my friends in which we some how managed to screw up the entire questing system. How ever all the excitement for Diablo 3 was infectious so i wanted to try it again but singleplayer TQ is boring and having pre-ordered Guild Wars 2 I didn't want to spent another £50. So I tryed the demo for torchlight, and instantly preordered Tl2 once I finished. With that came the original and it is amazing. Tons of loot and the levels change scenary just as you are starting to get tired of them so it has great pacing. The combat is also extremely satisfying and has excellent blood splatters. It is also very addicting in the same way wow is, you constantly want better loot and to level up. And don't listen to the crap about how budget games are short, I tend to have the most fun with indie games and I have sunk 11hrs into the game, and I am on floor 22 and I don't know how many floors there are but there is an achievement for getting to floor 50. The reasons it doesn't get 10 is primarily the difficulty. There first few level can be played one handed and after that it does require some concentration but as long as u keep chugging healing potions which the game gives you plenty of will ensure you won't die. Though I am only playing on hard so the higher difficulty might improve this. Also it is such a rich and vibrant gameworld and as a lore addict I would have appreciated some more backround like what is ember used for? And what is happening outside of Torchlight. A bit more of a story than "Bad stuff is happening, lets go into this dungeon and keep on going deeper till we find it" would have been nice. Oh and multiplayer. but TL2 looks like all of this will be fixed, well I don't know about the story and the lore but one can hope. And there will be more hubs than the single one in the original which is also nice. Expand
  39. May 20, 2012
    I cant believe people are calling this a Diablo clone, or saying it "stole" things from Diablo.
    Wake up, be informed. This is made by the ORIGINAL CREATORS of Diablo after Blizzard North was shut down. T_T
  40. May 18, 2012
    Just a SOLID game, and worth the $15 or $20 no question. In Diablo 3, it would be good at $10 but horrible at $60. Now, if Torchlight was $60 maybe I would only give it a 7, but at this price point it's a great purchase. short quests, usually, and fun to play. Lucky me, I never played Diablo or Diablo 2, so it makes it more fun. I've played GW and Skyrim, but this game is different.Just a SOLID game, and worth the $15 or $20 no question. In Diablo 3, it would be good at $10 but horrible at $60. Now, if Torchlight was $60 maybe I would only give it a 7, but at this price point it's a great purchase. short quests, usually, and fun to play. Lucky me, I never played Diablo or Diablo 2, so it makes it more fun. I've played GW and Skyrim, but this game is different. clean, smooth, and you will get your money's worth Expand
  41. May 16, 2012
    Buy this instead of diablo 3.
    More fresh feeling ideas, more fun gaming, fully moddable etc etc. Even withoute multiplayer it is a lot better than diablo 3.
    BTW, wait untill T2 emerges from the embers, fully moddable and multiplayer. Can the fans create a new CS in the fantasy rpg ganre. Maby who knows what will happen, at least you wont be dissapointed.
  42. May 16, 2012
    Torchlight is one of my favorite games. This is coming from someone who played Diablo, and Diablo 2 growing up. This game is made by people who know this genera really well because a lot of the guys from Runic Games came from Blizzard North. I'll start at the top of the list: graphics are sweet (I enjoy the art style); game play is smooth; the music is epic and really well done; and theTorchlight is one of my favorite games. This is coming from someone who played Diablo, and Diablo 2 growing up. This game is made by people who know this genera really well because a lot of the guys from Runic Games came from Blizzard North. I'll start at the top of the list: graphics are sweet (I enjoy the art style); game play is smooth; the music is epic and really well done; and the story is a good vs evil like any other game, but it works. Of course, the only downside, was no multiplayer. Torchlight 2 however, is my most anticipated game of this year, or even the past few years. Watch game play videos of that game and you'll understand. Expand
  43. May 16, 2012
    Awesome game, after all the Diablo 3 hooplah this week I had to come leave a review for Torchlight. It really is a fun, awesome game that you can pop in and out of. And you can't beat the price! Also, it's on steam so no on-line required DRM B.S. Can't wait for Torchlight 2!!
  44. May 15, 2012
    Torchlight is a superb game for anyone that is a fan of the dungeon crawling genre. Torchlight is by no means a "Diablo Clone", in fact, I would propose that is instead "Diablo Evolved." Added features in Torchlight such as the pet system and robust modding tools truly distinguish the game as an entirely different beast. The modding community for Torchlight is phenomenal; a testament toTorchlight is a superb game for anyone that is a fan of the dungeon crawling genre. Torchlight is by no means a "Diablo Clone", in fact, I would propose that is instead "Diablo Evolved." Added features in Torchlight such as the pet system and robust modding tools truly distinguish the game as an entirely different beast. The modding community for Torchlight is phenomenal; a testament to this is the community developed modding interface RGFHotSpot. This simple program presents you with a list of mods in database, and upon installing multiple mods, the tool can then be used to check for conflicting code that would prevent the game from running properly while running certain mods together.

With Torchlight now being a gifted bonus for pre-ordering Torchlight 2 on steam, there is absolutely no reason to pass up playing this awesome game.

Tell all your friends, "Torchlight isn't a clone, it's Diablo Evolved!"
  45. May 15, 2012
    If you loved Diablo and Diablo II, you will love Torchlight! Great graphics, great gameplay and lots of fun! Pets add an interesting dimension to gameplay as well. The story is sparse, but decent. Can't wait for Torchlight II!
  46. May 15, 2012
    +Mods, +Fluid combat, +Cheap, +Three Classes each with three skill branches, +Pets, +Decent loot system, +Character to character item transfer. -No online play, -Dull environments, -Story is generic. If you liked Diablo, you will love this.
  47. May 13, 2012
    A few of the more negative reviews criticise the game for being a Diablo clone, clearly these people don't know the game was created by the co-designers of Diablo 1&2! It's certainly a more casual approach than Diablo, but that doesn't stop it being an extremely fun game to play, the 3 classes are distinctly different and all a joy to control. Combat feels very impacting, and the there'sA few of the more negative reviews criticise the game for being a Diablo clone, clearly these people don't know the game was created by the co-designers of Diablo 1&2! It's certainly a more casual approach than Diablo, but that doesn't stop it being an extremely fun game to play, the 3 classes are distinctly different and all a joy to control. Combat feels very impacting, and the there's a perfect balance between fun and difficulty, though like most ARPG's it can be a bit samey, but hey that comes with the genre. The story is a bit meh and never really grips you but that doesn't matter, you won't be paying much attention to it anyway. Anyway if you like ARPG's you owe it to yourself to play it, it's a hoot. Expand
  48. May 11, 2012
    Is this game perfect? No. It's a bit repetitive, unbalanced in moves (some awesome, others useless) and combat (most levels easy, last few very hard), very little actual story/ dialogue and no multiplayer. That said this game is amazingly cheap for the gameplay and length. The graphics while bright and colorful are well done, the effects are nice and the sound is awesome. The good movesIs this game perfect? No. It's a bit repetitive, unbalanced in moves (some awesome, others useless) and combat (most levels easy, last few very hard), very little actual story/ dialogue and no multiplayer. That said this game is amazingly cheap for the gameplay and length. The graphics while bright and colorful are well done, the effects are nice and the sound is awesome. The good moves are very satisfying and there is TONS of loot. Definitely recommend. Expand
  49. May 5, 2012
    Is it a Diablo clone? Yep! But so what? Diablo was one of the best games of all time - torchlight contains all of the epicness of d2 with a streamlined interface and more vivid graphics. For 15 bucks you really can't say no, you will have hours of fun figuring out how to turn yourself into an unstoppable train locomotive of gory death - and once you do, turning an entire room with 20Is it a Diablo clone? Yep! But so what? Diablo was one of the best games of all time - torchlight contains all of the epicness of d2 with a streamlined interface and more vivid graphics. For 15 bucks you really can't say no, you will have hours of fun figuring out how to turn yourself into an unstoppable train locomotive of gory death - and once you do, turning an entire room with 20 little guys and two big bosses into a bleeding pile of corpses in seven short seconds of screen shaking and big numbers gives you the spectacle that defines the action rpg genre. No running around forests gathering plants, you run dungeons and slaughter evil for your gear! It doesn't get a solid 10/10 because during the main questline you have to go through five-dungeon level jaunts of samey-looking environments and that gets old. In addition, there is so much white trash loot that it becomes cumbersome to pick through (since you can't just pick it all up and deal with it later because your inventory is small) in the middle of a dungeon, and that takes away from the flow of the game. Torchlight is a tribute to the genre of action RPGs - but if you have never played an action RPG before, do yourself a favor and play Diablo first. Expand
  50. Apr 30, 2012
    I put about 15 hours into this game and for the most part found it very rewarding. For the price there is a lot of content and the looting is worth the effort. Clever ideas like having your pet go and sell your goods so you dont have to drop things all the time make for more fun, less bother. You can also take time out to go fishing, and then feed the fish to your pet turning it into aI put about 15 hours into this game and for the most part found it very rewarding. For the price there is a lot of content and the looting is worth the effort. Clever ideas like having your pet go and sell your goods so you dont have to drop things all the time make for more fun, less bother. You can also take time out to go fishing, and then feed the fish to your pet turning it into a more powerful creature. Things do get a little repetitive, but this format always will. Worth the coin Expand
  51. Mar 28, 2012
    Nice visual style, features, gameplay. Somewhat repetitive maybe, but so is every hack-and-slash game ever released. Modest price and less idiotic DRM than the one used in upcoming Diablo III make this game a sight for sore eyes when it comes to looking for some good-old hack-em-up action!
  52. Mar 19, 2012
    It's a Dibalo clone, sure - but Torchlight is one of the best dungeon-crawler Action RPG's I've played in years. Clean, simple interface, and a slick visual style made this one of the most visually pleasing games of 2009. There's some great features, such as loading up your pet with items and sending him to town to sell them, that really add to the experience. As with most games in theIt's a Dibalo clone, sure - but Torchlight is one of the best dungeon-crawler Action RPG's I've played in years. Clean, simple interface, and a slick visual style made this one of the most visually pleasing games of 2009. There's some great features, such as loading up your pet with items and sending him to town to sell them, that really add to the experience. As with most games in the genre, it can turn into a bit of a grind-fest at times, but the huge amount of variety between the different skills (and classes, for that matter) makes it totally worth it. I can't wait for Torchlight 2. Expand
  53. Mar 7, 2012
    Very SMALL length game originally, but the gameplay is AWESOME, just like Diablo. I love this game no matter what. The graphics are not super, but not bad, like it's special style of Texture! Feels like Warcraft'ish.. I kinda like that! Misses Online Play, but that is coming with Torchlight II, what makes this game unique, is the Modding. Like Seriously.. The game can get 6 times biggerVery SMALL length game originally, but the gameplay is AWESOME, just like Diablo. I love this game no matter what. The graphics are not super, but not bad, like it's special style of Texture! Feels like Warcraft'ish.. I kinda like that! Misses Online Play, but that is coming with Torchlight II, what makes this game unique, is the Modding. Like Seriously.. The game can get 6 times bigger than Diablo II: Lord of Destruction with the modding. It's not as good though... But a very good RPG! I would put it second on the list. Definately worth 19,99$ ! Hope TOrchlight II will have more ACTs and zone types! Expand
  54. Feb 5, 2012
    Very fun diablo clone. No story, all gameplay. There are lots of mods available adding even more classes or randomly generated dungeons in the game as well! 9/10
  55. Jan 16, 2012
    Very good clone of Diablo 2 (minus network gameplay) with some improvement.
    No revolutionary idea, but no mistake either.
    The game is not that much difficult, and their is no end game (as in diablo).

In sale, if you liked Diablo, it's a good bargain ... else it's up to you.
  56. Jan 1, 2012
    Addictive, easy to pick up and loads of fun to play. You can't really go wrong with that formula. Diablo clones are a dime a dozen but this is one of those clones that gets everything right. If you're not too concerned about a wafer thin storyline you're going to definitely enjoy your stay in Torchlight. There's also great replay value as you can try different character builds and collectAddictive, easy to pick up and loads of fun to play. You can't really go wrong with that formula. Diablo clones are a dime a dozen but this is one of those clones that gets everything right. If you're not too concerned about a wafer thin storyline you're going to definitely enjoy your stay in Torchlight. There's also great replay value as you can try different character builds and collect different sets of loot to swap about. One fault worth mentioning is that the load times can be surprisingly long at times and the abundance of enemies can be overwhelming to say the least, but it's really just nit-picking on an otherwise solid title. Expand
  57. Dec 20, 2011
    This game is a blast that fills a serious void. If you love Diablo 2 you owe it to yourself to play this. My only complaint would be the lack of co-op. I've seen they are putting co-op in 2 so I'm extremely excited for that. Just hope they get it out before D3!
  58. Dec 10, 2011
    Hah! Again ones of my favorite games. ;)
    This is the best Hack'n Slash after Diablo games ever. Great gameplay, nice graphics and good but just good maps. Biggest minus in this game is just 3 heroes..... This is enough.
    I can't played this game more them 10 hours in week because this become boring.
    I advice Torchlight Diablo II fans and people who likes Hack'n Slash games. My rate is 8.3/10
  59. Oct 12, 2011
    Don't expect brilliance or endless replayability. This is something to tide you over until D3 releases. It's clear that this isn't as balanced as Diablo games - on normal, it's too easy, making it a boring grind after the first playthrough. On harder levels, it can be simply too difficult for some builds to complete the game. Also, some game mechanics are clearly broken, with some skillsDon't expect brilliance or endless replayability. This is something to tide you over until D3 releases. It's clear that this isn't as balanced as Diablo games - on normal, it's too easy, making it a boring grind after the first playthrough. On harder levels, it can be simply too difficult for some builds to complete the game. Also, some game mechanics are clearly broken, with some skills (like Vanquisher's Explosive Shot) completely overpowered, and other skills underpowered.

All of that said, I got it for $15 and had tons of fun playing it through the first time. Totally worth the price at that level.
  60. Sep 5, 2011
    This game is mostly excellent. It's not the reason why, but it explains it : the studio from which this game comes from (runic games) has been formed by Travis Baldree (creator of Fate), Max Schaefer and Erich Schaefer (co-founders of Blizzard North - who worked on the first Diablo).

The reasons (yes there are many) why this game is really great are : Simple but efficient game design

The reasons (yes there are many) why this game is really great are :

Simple but efficient game design (with the ability to use a "pet" to sell the loots without having your inventory always full of useless valuables) ; Cute and good looking SD character models and graphics ; A GREAT soundtrack which reminded me Diablo only few seconds after I started playing torchlight ; It has a very nice level editor ; Now, why nine and not ten ? Simply because there is no multiplayer capability yet (I've read somewhere it is planned for the sequel), and also because after a lot of time (but this game is so addictive that you easily spend a LOT of time on it) the randomized levels are a bit repetitive.
  61. Jul 18, 2011
    You can see the subtle signs this game shows in reference to other compelling hack and slash games. However, this game offers what all other similar games don't. A level editor in which you can decide what your journey will be.
  62. Jul 10, 2011
    This game is awesome. I'm an avid isometric dungeon crawler fan, and Torchlight has been one of the most satisfying games in years. The combat mechanics and animations are highly entertaining and addictive. I get the impression that the FATE series (decent, not spectacular) was a warm-up for this company. Torchlight is the finished product. The art is good, the combat is spectacular,This game is awesome. I'm an avid isometric dungeon crawler fan, and Torchlight has been one of the most satisfying games in years. The combat mechanics and animations are highly entertaining and addictive. I get the impression that the FATE series (decent, not spectacular) was a warm-up for this company. Torchlight is the finished product. The art is good, the combat is spectacular, and I can't count the number of times I told myself "just ONE more floor..." This game would tempt me at $20-30. For the piddly amount stores (and my lord, STEAM) is asking for it, you have no excuse not to buy this game if you are serious enough to be reading this review. Doooo eeeet. Expand
  63. Jul 2, 2011
    Such a simple game yet so charming, addicting, and entertaining. This is what all games should be: easy to pick up and enjoyable for a 10 minute session or a 4 hour marathon. And at its price, it's one of the best values around. It easily beats every other Diablo clone, and only Torthlight II or Diablo III will be able to trump it. So for what it is I give it a 10, despite it being fairlySuch a simple game yet so charming, addicting, and entertaining. This is what all games should be: easy to pick up and enjoyable for a 10 minute session or a 4 hour marathon. And at its price, it's one of the best values around. It easily beats every other Diablo clone, and only Torthlight II or Diablo III will be able to trump it. So for what it is I give it a 10, despite it being fairly short on content. Expand
  64. Jun 28, 2011
    Superb game. I'd give it a 10 except that it doesn't have multiplayer and it had a few balancing issues at higher levels sometimes. Other than that, you can't beat the price. Looking forward to Torchlight 2. :)
  65. Jun 24, 2011
    Diablo rip-off of the highest order, made by many of the same people who made Diablo itself. This was my favourite stress-relief device for over a year after release. It's only fallen out of favour recently because of a glitch: if you lose your portal into wherever you were in the infinitely deep dungeon (the Shadow Vault), you have to start it all over again, it seems (at which pointDiablo rip-off of the highest order, made by many of the same people who made Diablo itself. This was my favourite stress-relief device for over a year after release. It's only fallen out of favour recently because of a glitch: if you lose your portal into wherever you were in the infinitely deep dungeon (the Shadow Vault), you have to start it all over again, it seems (at which point you might as well make a new character...) Single player only; roll on Torchlight 2 (which will have more than 3 classes, and co-op!) Expand
  66. May 21, 2011
    Torchlight is a solid game. It's an improved Fate, which was pretty good. It features nice cartoonish graphics and Diablo-esque mechanics, nothing new. It excels at gameplay, though. It's fast, violent and plain funny.
  67. May 18, 2011
    Yes, it's a dungeon crawler "diablo" clone - but the thing is, Diablo is quite old by now, and there hasn't been many decent updates to the genre. Torchlight doesn't really do anything new, but that doesn't make it any less fun for a play through or two.
  68. Apr 22, 2011
    This game does the hack n' slash genre to perfection.
    It is like a super-updated Diablo II, a thing the game creators don't deny, considering they also worked on DII.
    This is such a bargain at $15 now, that it makes me cry i wasted $60 on trash like Dragon Age II.
    Everyone should know about this game!!
  69. Mar 26, 2011
    This is a solid game. If you are looking for a new and game changing RPG than this is not the game for you. If you are looking for a firmly detailed and complete RPG to fill the gap in your RPG gaming time this is the perfect game for you. There is nothing new that they do, but everything you've come to expect in a solid RPG is here. The positives: the games saves everything exactly as itThis is a solid game. If you are looking for a new and game changing RPG than this is not the game for you. If you are looking for a firmly detailed and complete RPG to fill the gap in your RPG gaming time this is the perfect game for you. There is nothing new that they do, but everything you've come to expect in a solid RPG is here. The positives: the games saves everything exactly as it is, you leave a town portal up it is still there later, and other such examples. The downside: lack of quests, they exist but are few and far between. The good thing is that the developers encourage mods. So if you feel that they are lacking in the quests mod some more. All in all, nothing new, but everything old has been perfected. Expand
  70. Mar 23, 2011
    Awesome game! Totally consuming and fun. $15 on STEAM! Unbelievable value for so great of a game. Anxiously awaiting Torchlight 2 very soon with Co-op play!
  71. Jan 22, 2011
    I have completely fallen in love with this game. It is brilliant, very cute with outstanding gameplay. Good interfaces and easy to just pick up and play. There has been some criticism that the game does not feature co-op or multiplayer, however in this day and age where EVERYTHING has co-op and multiplayer I found it a refreshing change to have a game I can just sit and play all on myI have completely fallen in love with this game. It is brilliant, very cute with outstanding gameplay. Good interfaces and easy to just pick up and play. There has been some criticism that the game does not feature co-op or multiplayer, however in this day and age where EVERYTHING has co-op and multiplayer I found it a refreshing change to have a game I can just sit and play all on my own in peace. The treasure hunting and fishing aspects of the game keep it fresh as do the maps that lead to hidden bonus dungeons. I am still hunting for some very specific items to get full sets of the epic type suits with awesome bonuses. All in all this game has mass appeal, yes it is not original but damn it is fun, very pretty to look at and superb to play. Highly recommended and I am looking forward to the forthcoming release of Torchlight 2. Expand
  72. Dec 30, 2010
    I got this game for five dollars and for that amount you can't lose. Torchlight has pleasant cartoon graphics that give the game a magical fun atmosphere and has excellent sound and music to match. The music is extremely similar to the music found in Diablo 1 and 2 but no complains there. There are many other elements that are extremely similar to the Diablo series, the gem crafting systemI got this game for five dollars and for that amount you can't lose. Torchlight has pleasant cartoon graphics that give the game a magical fun atmosphere and has excellent sound and music to match. The music is extremely similar to the music found in Diablo 1 and 2 but no complains there. There are many other elements that are extremely similar to the Diablo series, the gem crafting system works almost exactly the same but I think they went a little overboard with it as there are I believe seven levels of gem qualities and it can take ages finding the one gem you are missing in order to finish "transmuting" them altogether to get the final product. The prices in the game are a little wonky and gold can be hard to come by. A weapon that you paid 5000 gold for will normally sell back to the vendor for 50-100 gold. This can lead to one broke ass hero through the early stages of the game. I liked the fact that the game has unique animations for many of the weapons (with enchantment glows) and armor in the game, and they did a good job with the animations too. I find it highly amusing that a $5 little indie-esque game like this has better armor animations than the hugely grossing World of Warcraft. My ultimate gripe with the game is that sometimes dungeons will repeat. You'll be in a dungeon with a sense of deja-vu about the layout and once you figure out a stairway, door, exit is in the exact same place you will know that your assumption was well founded. It takes about 10-12 hours to get a character to level 35-40 and beat the main storyline of the game, but again for $5 I highly recommend this game. Expand
  73. Dec 29, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A very well rounded up monsterbashing and dungeon delving game. It is quick and nonstop action for one, but the foundation and focus is on character improvement. Which is dominated by loot and gear and pure collecting galore for the perfectionists, where each item is potentially better than the last. This is driven by a random system, looting and enchanting and everything to make the best out of your stuff. Retire your character and pass any one item to a descendant, it acts as a legendary and better version endlessly. The game may be tiny ,but this makes even repeating rewarding. Very nicely shaped game overall. Expand
  74. Dec 26, 2010
    If Blizzard didn't have to break a pc sales record every game they make, this would pretty much be Diablo 3. Don't get me wrong, this is actually Fate with some extra Diablo thrown in (music made by the same composer as Diablo 2 and such). But that doesn't mean its bad. The gameplay works fine if you're not trying to have a bunch of minions on the screen, as pathfinding took a hitIf Blizzard didn't have to break a pc sales record every game they make, this would pretty much be Diablo 3. Don't get me wrong, this is actually Fate with some extra Diablo thrown in (music made by the same composer as Diablo 2 and such). But that doesn't mean its bad. The gameplay works fine if you're not trying to have a bunch of minions on the screen, as pathfinding took a hit somewhere in development. Otherwise its just a new Diablo 2, and you know the drill for that - click monsters dead, get loot, repeat. However, if you've played video games before, start on "Hard" since "Normal" is actually the "Very Easy" setting. Expand
  75. Nov 4, 2010
    I see a mix of reviews but the trend is either you love the game or you hate it. I find those who rate the game a 1 or 2 either pissed off because they died too much or perhaps sodomizing themselves with a retractable baton because they blew their life savings on another dungeon crawler. Again, I've personally played almost every dungeon crawler out there and here's a secret ( they'reI see a mix of reviews but the trend is either you love the game or you hate it. I find those who rate the game a 1 or 2 either pissed off because they died too much or perhaps sodomizing themselves with a retractable baton because they blew their life savings on another dungeon crawler. Again, I've personally played almost every dungeon crawler out there and here's a secret ( they're all button mashing, mouse clicking adventures ). Although the concepts behind the game are not original (primarily absorbed from DII and Fate) there was still a lot of work and creativity that went into designing this game at a movie ticket price. So for those trolls out there who are score raping this game, you should reconsider based on the definition of a dungeon crawler. Expand
  76. Oct 9, 2010
    For the price you are getting a great game that will make you wish Blizzard would at least announce when Diablo 3 is coming out, but... at the same time it shows a lot of promise and maybe the people behind this game can come up with a really good sequel.
  77. Sep 30, 2010
    really like this game which I'm sure everyone knows is sort of a Diablo knock off. That's not a drawback and at least 2 of the developers were key members of the original Diablo team. I don't play console and I have a mac so some of my choices are limited. This was a fantastic break from my usual MMO grind. Really nice game.
  78. JackG.
    Mar 26, 2010
    Great fun, wasted many hours playing this game. Graphics are nice and colourfull never without something interesting to look at on this game. Great value for money here! :D
  79. JeanB.
    Jan 31, 2010
    If you want a game to spend hours with fun. Play this game. We can feel the Diablo brothers in it.
  80. JackG.
    Jan 30, 2010
  81. SimonL.
    Jan 29, 2010
    When I first started this game and I saw the inventory and all the resemblance to the "Diablo" franchise, I said to myself: "Let's play some Dia.. I mean Torchlight". The games are practivally identical. The game is quite long. As in Diablo 1, your walking down stairs. There are 35 floors and it takes around 20 minutes to complete one floor since the random level design. The gameplay When I first started this game and I saw the inventory and all the resemblance to the "Diablo" franchise, I said to myself: "Let's play some Dia.. I mean Torchlight". The games are practivally identical. The game is quite long. As in Diablo 1, your walking down stairs. There are 35 floors and it takes around 20 minutes to complete one floor since the random level design. The gameplay is fantastic. It's practicly the same as in Diablo and Diablo 2 but with some additions like the spellbar and just walking over coins to pick it up.(Note both of these features were announced for Diablo 3) The storyline is not close as good as in Diablo. No wonder though. This game is named Torchlight, but as much resemblance it has with the Diablo franchise, it would have made a great name as "Diablo 2.5". Expand
  82. Ribblet
    Jan 27, 2010
    The game play is excellent. Even the music mimics that of Diablo, but with better graphics. I love dungeon crawling, so this is perfect. Would have scored a 10 if it had multi-player. Great game for the price. I would recommend it to anybody that likes Diablo.
  83. Macca
    Jan 27, 2010
    Torchlight is firstly, a great game if you fancy something to pick up and play for an hour or two and feel a sense of doing something worthwile. Sure, it can be somewhat repetitive in its dungeon crawling ways, but it's pace makes up for that. As for having no multiplayer as some reviewers have stated, well, we all know this, but one thing to remember is that the developers are in Torchlight is firstly, a great game if you fancy something to pick up and play for an hour or two and feel a sense of doing something worthwile. Sure, it can be somewhat repetitive in its dungeon crawling ways, but it's pace makes up for that. As for having no multiplayer as some reviewers have stated, well, we all know this, but one thing to remember is that the developers are in the midst of making this title into an MMO, which could end up being a very nice game if it manages to do it before Diablo 3 is released - or after. I feel if they attempt it whilst D3 is out there, they may end up failing to bring the game to the market it deserves. If you are a fan of hack'n'slash, then you have to buy this game, if not, give it a go anyway, it's very user friendly and has a very intuative user interface with an easy learning curve. The only other suggestion I would say is don't play it on anything less than the Hard setting as normal and easy are ridiculously easy with no challenge whatsoever - at any stage of the game. Expand
  84. OveM.
    Jan 26, 2010
    This game is amazing! Tons of items to find and use, tons of quests and tons of dungeons to explore! It plays the same as the first Diablo. One town and a dungeon beneath the town to explore. The skill system is also very cool. You choose between three tabs with lots of skills in each. There are also 3 classes. This is a must for hacknslash fans!
  85. MattN.
    Jan 24, 2010
    Great game, would of been better if it had multiplayer of some sort.
  86. RT
    Jan 11, 2010
    Very good game. Gameplay is very good. I'd highly recommend this game to anyone who wants a dungeon crawler game while waiting for D3 to come out.
  87. CameronB
    Jan 11, 2010
    To all the people hating because it's somewhat simple, that's the whole point. Go into a dungeon, kill lots of mobs, collect new armor and weapons, rinse and repeat. Torchlight does it amazingly, the graphics look like Team Fortress 2 met Diablo 2, and the lack of multiplayer is a small misstep, but considering I hated Diablo 2 single player and love this, you owe it to yourself To all the people hating because it's somewhat simple, that's the whole point. Go into a dungeon, kill lots of mobs, collect new armor and weapons, rinse and repeat. Torchlight does it amazingly, the graphics look like Team Fortress 2 met Diablo 2, and the lack of multiplayer is a small misstep, but considering I hated Diablo 2 single player and love this, you owe it to yourself to buy this game if you are even glancing at this review. Expand
  88. funkymonkey
    Jan 8, 2010
    one of the biggest clones of diablo, nice touch on the endless idea but the quests are so repetitive! its always kill this, find this, clear this. but altogether, its a great game.
  89. CharlieP
    Jan 7, 2010
    It's the WOW version of Diablo. Graphics are great. Gameplay is very entertaining. No video sequence or multiplayer but read the multiplayer may come later. If your a fan of Diablo and rpg games of that sort, it will be the best $20 you have spent for a game. They also offer a very nice demo should you want to try it before buying.
  90. TomerH
    Jan 7, 2010
    Great game,anyone who loved Diablo series-this game is for him! Buy it now!
  91. Bunkai
    Jan 6, 2010
    It'd be a 10 if there were a multiplayer option... at least for LAN play. I don't require a battle.net type of multiplayer. I'm much easier to please than that. Great game, Runic! Bring on the MMO version!
  92. Adam
    Jan 6, 2010
    My friend peak my interest into this game. So I got it and gave it ago. Surprisingly I have really enjoy it so far. Feels like playing an updated Diablo game. If you enjoy a good dungeon crawler/hack and slash game this is something to not pass up. For its price its very much worth it.
  93. David
    Jan 3, 2010
    Finally a game that really feels as good as Diablo! The ambiance and soundtrack are also very refreshing! A very good game!
  94. AlbanN
    Jan 3, 2010
    Finally a game simple, addicted, worth the price, fast on any machine. What else do you want??? let's rock with it!!
  95. JohnnyW
    Jan 3, 2010
    I think this game is amazing. It is a dungeon crawler at the very finest. I finished the demo and will be buying it soon. There are three distinct classes and a plethora of items and loot to discover. The varying difficulty levels add a nice touch.
  96. MenanP
    Jan 2, 2010
    People who say this is just a rip off Diablo and Fate, yeah it is a rip but for good reasons, same developers and designers. They reworked the action-RPG genre and for $20 it's a steal, especially when it's on sale. Low requirements is a plus for those looking for the latest RPG but only have the hardware to play Diablo 2. Nice game with very little innovation though.
  97. JesseS
    Jan 1, 2010
    Awesome Game! The art is crisp, clean and beautifully rendered and will keep you mesmerized as you adventure throughout the levels. The levels are short enough to keep it casual, but the game play is fast paced, and fun enough, that you wont want to stop.
  98. Franc
    Dec 30, 2009
    Torchlight is a stunningly addictive singler player Diablo clone. If you liked the original Diablo or simlilar hack'n'slay games - then you will LOVE Torchlight. Don't get me wrong, the game is far from perfect: no multiplayer, negligible storyline, the dungeons are "genereted" yet look and feel the same, the only real innovation is the updated pet - and yet the game Torchlight is a stunningly addictive singler player Diablo clone. If you liked the original Diablo or simlilar hack'n'slay games - then you will LOVE Torchlight. Don't get me wrong, the game is far from perfect: no multiplayer, negligible storyline, the dungeons are "genereted" yet look and feel the same, the only real innovation is the updated pet - and yet the game shines. It's fast, easy to get into, runs well on slower hardware and looks good on never, is very affordable and the best of it: it's FUN to play. What else do you expect from a game? A great play for casuals, or to feed your gaming needs after a long hard working day - and it deservers credit for doing this so well. Expand
  99. JaredJ
    Dec 30, 2009
    Sometimes I wish people like Anon T would do some research before bashing a game unjustly. Torchlight may seem like a "clone" and yet... how can you clone Diablo when you co-created it? That's right. This game was made by the co-creators of Diablo. I loved the music and the new art direction taken by the team. This game is well worth the 20$.
  100. HughG.R.
    Dec 28, 2009
    Game is pretty good, player can go around and doesn't afraid of anything.
  101. Oct 12, 2011
    Torchlight is a fun game with a lot of polish. The graphics are cartoonish but charming and look very good for how low the system specs are. I have two large complaints however. The first being no multiplayer whatsoever. It's a shame for a dungeon crawler like this to not have multiplayer support as this would have made the game much much more fun. The second issue I had was the lack ofTorchlight is a fun game with a lot of polish. The graphics are cartoonish but charming and look very good for how low the system specs are. I have two large complaints however. The first being no multiplayer whatsoever. It's a shame for a dungeon crawler like this to not have multiplayer support as this would have made the game much much more fun. The second issue I had was the lack of depth/re-playability. The game features only 3 classes and there aren't that many skills to chose from. Nonetheless if you are a fan of dungeon crawlers then you will definitely enjoy this game. Collapse

With phenomenal music and great art direction, combined with an addictive combat system, it's hard to step away from the keyboard and mouse after the first floor.
  2. Runic hasn't dumbed down the experience, they've removed the fluff and distilled it down to the truly fun parts. Add in a few innovations and what you've got is Torchlight; a game that raises the expectations for dungeon-crawling action RPGs by being not just fine-tuned but affordable as well.
  3. The core of the game is its combat and character progression, and both of those are outstanding. Torchlight might not be breaking any new ground, but the soul of Diablo hasn't been so ably captured in years. You won't find much that approaches Torchlight's worth at its $20 price point.