Torchlight PC

8.0

1. JesseS
    Jan 1, 2010
    Awesome Game! The art is crisp, clean and beautifully rendered and will keep you mesmerized as you adventure throughout the levels. The levels are short enough to keep it casual, but the game play is fast paced, and fun enough, that you wont want to stop.
  2. MC
    Oct 30, 2009
    Excellent hack and slash RPG - Great value for money..once you start playing, you'll want to come back for more...
  3. Macca
    Jan 27, 2010
    Torchlight is firstly, a great game if you fancy something to pick up and play for an hour or two and feel a sense of doing something worthwile. Sure, it can be somewhat repetitive in its dungeon crawling ways, but it's pace makes up for that. As for having no multiplayer as some reviewers have stated, well, we all know this, but one thing to remember is that the developers are in Torchlight is firstly, a great game if you fancy something to pick up and play for an hour or two and feel a sense of doing something worthwile. Sure, it can be somewhat repetitive in its dungeon crawling ways, but it's pace makes up for that. As for having no multiplayer as some reviewers have stated, well, we all know this, but one thing to remember is that the developers are in the midst of making this title into an MMO, which could end up being a very nice game if it manages to do it before Diablo 3 is released - or after. I feel if they attempt it whilst D3 is out there, they may end up failing to bring the game to the market it deserves. If you are a fan of hack'n'slash, then you have to buy this game, if not, give it a go anyway, it's very user friendly and has a very intuative user interface with an easy learning curve. The only other suggestion I would say is don't play it on anything less than the Hard setting as normal and easy are ridiculously easy with no challenge whatsoever - at any stage of the game. Expand
  4. JeanB.
    Jan 31, 2010
    If you want a game to spend hours with fun. Play this game. We can feel the Diablo brothers in it.
  5. JohnnyW
    Jan 3, 2010
    I think this game is amazing. It is a dungeon crawler at the very finest. I finished the demo and will be buying it soon. There are three distinct classes and a plethora of items and loot to discover. The varying difficulty levels add a nice touch.
  6. AlbanN
    Jan 3, 2010
    Finally a game simple, addicted, worth the price, fast on any machine. What else do you want??? let's rock with it!!
  7. Adam
    Jan 6, 2010
    My friend peak my interest into this game. So I got it and gave it ago. Surprisingly I have really enjoy it so far. Feels like playing an updated Diablo game. If you enjoy a good dungeon crawler/hack and slash game this is something to not pass up. For its price its very much worth it.
  8. DaveL.
    Nov 1, 2009
    This is one of the best Action-RPGs I've played in a long-long-long time. It's fun and simple. It's extremely addictive too. I can't remember the last time I felt drawn to a game like this. The graphics are simple while being very vibrant. The only thing this game needs is a multi-player component. With some multi-player thrown in I'd give this a 10.
  9. JaredJ
    Dec 30, 2009
    Sometimes I wish people like Anon T would do some research before bashing a game unjustly. Torchlight may seem like a "clone" and yet... how can you clone Diablo when you co-created it? That's right. This game was made by the co-creators of Diablo. I loved the music and the new art direction taken by the team. This game is well worth the 20$.
  10. CameronB
    Jan 11, 2010
    To all the people hating because it's somewhat simple, that's the whole point. Go into a dungeon, kill lots of mobs, collect new armor and weapons, rinse and repeat. Torchlight does it amazingly, the graphics look like Team Fortress 2 met Diablo 2, and the lack of multiplayer is a small misstep, but considering I hated Diablo 2 single player and love this, you owe it to yourself To all the people hating because it's somewhat simple, that's the whole point. Go into a dungeon, kill lots of mobs, collect new armor and weapons, rinse and repeat. Torchlight does it amazingly, the graphics look like Team Fortress 2 met Diablo 2, and the lack of multiplayer is a small misstep, but considering I hated Diablo 2 single player and love this, you owe it to yourself to buy this game if you are even glancing at this review. Expand
  11. MenanP
    Jan 2, 2010
    People who say this is just a rip off Diablo and Fate, yeah it is a rip but for good reasons, same developers and designers. They reworked the action-RPG genre and for $20 it's a steal, especially when it's on sale. Low requirements is a plus for those looking for the latest RPG but only have the hardware to play Diablo 2. Nice game with very little innovation though.
  12. SimonL.
    Jan 29, 2010
    When I first started this game and I saw the inventory and all the resemblance to the "Diablo" franchise, I said to myself: "Let's play some Dia.. I mean Torchlight". The games are practivally identical. The game is quite long. As in Diablo 1, your walking down stairs. There are 35 floors and it takes around 20 minutes to complete one floor since the random level design. The gameplay When I first started this game and I saw the inventory and all the resemblance to the "Diablo" franchise, I said to myself: "Let's play some Dia.. I mean Torchlight". The games are practivally identical. The game is quite long. As in Diablo 1, your walking down stairs. There are 35 floors and it takes around 20 minutes to complete one floor since the random level design. The gameplay is fantastic. It's practicly the same as in Diablo and Diablo 2 but with some additions like the spellbar and just walking over coins to pick it up.(Note both of these features were announced for Diablo 3) The storyline is not close as good as in Diablo. No wonder though. This game is named Torchlight, but as much resemblance it has with the Diablo franchise, it would have made a great name as "Diablo 2.5". Expand
  13. Bunkai
    Jan 6, 2010
    It'd be a 10 if there were a multiplayer option... at least for LAN play. I don't require a battle.net type of multiplayer. I'm much easier to please than that. Great game, Runic! Bring on the MMO version!
  14. TomerH
    Jan 7, 2010
    Great game,anyone who loved Diablo series-this game is for him! Buy it now!
  15. johnccjohnc
    Nov 1, 2009
    Amazingly fun game! It's like someone took Diablo, boiled it down to the best parts, and then added a bunch of wild stuff. When I found out I could be a rifle-toting wizard leading a group of imps, it was cool. When my pet dog started summoning zombies it was REALLY cool. Add a steam punk robot in there, too. And this is all before level 10! Can't wait to see what the developers Amazingly fun game! It's like someone took Diablo, boiled it down to the best parts, and then added a bunch of wild stuff. When I found out I could be a rifle-toting wizard leading a group of imps, it was cool. When my pet dog started summoning zombies it was REALLY cool. Add a steam punk robot in there, too. And this is all before level 10! Can't wait to see what the developers throw at me next. They also did an amazing job with the enemies. They've avoided the "parking lot full of critters to kill" feel of Diablo that was such a grind. Instead there are typically separate large rooms with bosses who send minions out before them. The fighting comes in intense waves, rather than boring, bug-stomping sameness. I think the reviewers aren't quite seeing the creative genius of this game. Yeah, it plays like a Diablo clone. But at the same time they've advanced genre. In fact I hope Blizzard takes a long look at Torchlight and learns a few things for Diablo III. Expand
  16. SeanB
    Nov 25, 2009
    Game is refined sugar, perfect for Diablo fixes!
  17. WilliamH
    Nov 7, 2009
    Great prequel to Diablo III
  18. NickS
    Dec 10, 2009
    The best dungeon crawler available so far. Very simple but plenty of complexity if you desire it. Difficulty modes definitely challenge a player and can keep the new players to the hardcore players happy. A ton of game for the price. With a good editor and great gameplay, this is a game thats hard to pass up.
  19. Harpy
    Dec 21, 2009
    I never really got into the diabolo-style rpg, finding it a little dull and repetitive, particularly the constant back-tracking once the inventory fills. Thankfully, torchlight almost completely eliminates this problem, giving you instant access to merchants and storage from almost everywhere via inexpensive "town portal scrolls", which provide a two-way portal to town. It takes you to I never really got into the diabolo-style rpg, finding it a little dull and repetitive, particularly the constant back-tracking once the inventory fills. Thankfully, torchlight almost completely eliminates this problem, giving you instant access to merchants and storage from almost everywhere via inexpensive "town portal scrolls", which provide a two-way portal to town. It takes you to the exact point where you were in the dungeon. You can also send your companion pet to town to automatically sell some of your items, which is extremely convenient. But that's not all. The entire package is designed to eliminate the dull or confusing parts of diabolo-style rpgs. The controls are intuitive and the tool-tips are helpful (as are the loading screen tips). The effects of items, which are automatically adjusted to skill levels, are clearly displayed, and are even colour-coded to indicate the source of the effects. Even the characters move quickly, to minimise the boredom of backtracking, in the few cases where it's required. The only problem is that the gameplay is a little shallow and gets a little repetitive, but for $20, this game does a fine job keeping you entertained. Expand
  20. EvanC
    Dec 20, 2009
    Date is 20 december 2009. I am a pretty hardcore gamer. This game is brilliant. The love and detail that has gone into is cool. Its hardly a revolution, but by stripping back everything and leaving it unclutter it just feels fun and above all cool. The combat looks incredibly bright and animated and at times you get drawn inot it a bit and can really feel every blow. It is of course only Date is 20 december 2009. I am a pretty hardcore gamer. This game is brilliant. The love and detail that has gone into is cool. Its hardly a revolution, but by stripping back everything and leaving it unclutter it just feels fun and above all cool. The combat looks incredibly bright and animated and at times you get drawn inot it a bit and can really feel every blow. It is of course only a dungeon crawling diablo clone we have become used to but everything in ti feels fresh and fun, i can't beleive i got it for only 7:50. Its somewhat tedious and repetitive, but you hardly notice it when your having so much fun tearing through enemies. So maybe not a gameplay revolution but everything is spot on if not particularly invoative or original. Hard to argue for the price their asking. If you like action-Rpgs, buy it. Collapse
  21. Franc
    Dec 30, 2009
    Torchlight is a stunningly addictive singler player Diablo clone. If you liked the original Diablo or simlilar hack'n'slay games - then you will LOVE Torchlight. Don't get me wrong, the game is far from perfect: no multiplayer, negligible storyline, the dungeons are "genereted" yet look and feel the same, the only real innovation is the updated pet - and yet the game Torchlight is a stunningly addictive singler player Diablo clone. If you liked the original Diablo or simlilar hack'n'slay games - then you will LOVE Torchlight. Don't get me wrong, the game is far from perfect: no multiplayer, negligible storyline, the dungeons are "genereted" yet look and feel the same, the only real innovation is the updated pet - and yet the game shines. It's fast, easy to get into, runs well on slower hardware and looks good on never, is very affordable and the best of it: it's FUN to play. What else do you expect from a game? A great play for casuals, or to feed your gaming needs after a long hard working day - and it deservers credit for doing this so well. Expand
  22. WimH
    Dec 4, 2009
    I first tried out the demo, which I played for an hour. I liked it a lot because its a great challenging game. It's been a while since I played my last RPG, but this game got me all interested again. The graphics look superb and the sounds are very realistic (as realistic as killing bad evil monsters could sound I think ;)). The game story is not that deep, but I dont care, I play I first tried out the demo, which I played for an hour. I liked it a lot because its a great challenging game. It's been a while since I played my last RPG, but this game got me all interested again. The graphics look superb and the sounds are very realistic (as realistic as killing bad evil monsters could sound I think ;)). The game story is not that deep, but I dont care, I play these games for the loot and the leveling. The VERY good price made me buy it right after I quit the demo. $20 is really a nice price which should be used more. Expand
  23. GuzM
    Oct 27, 2009
    Torchwood is an excellent Diablo clone. The graphics are pretty and the gameplay is fun. The pet, which may act as amule, tank and trashloot vendor, is an innovative idea. The game is very affordable and seems to offer a lot of content, This also applies to the free demo, I've played it for a few hours (without getting to its end) before purchasing the game and it allows you get a Torchwood is an excellent Diablo clone. The graphics are pretty and the gameplay is fun. The pet, which may act as amule, tank and trashloot vendor, is an innovative idea. The game is very affordable and seems to offer a lot of content, This also applies to the free demo, I've played it for a few hours (without getting to its end) before purchasing the game and it allows you get a realistic impression about the game with no recognizable restrictions. Well done Runic! Expand
  24. PierricB
    Oct 29, 2009
    Loved it. Followed Runic from back as flagship seattle working on mythos and I love their single player action rpg Torchlight!
  25. JasonW
    Oct 29, 2009
    This is a great game; a great addition to the dungeon crawler ARPG ranks.
  26. DonJuan
    Oct 31, 2009
    Best $20 addiction going! If you at all like Diablo, you owe it to yourself to pick this up. Story is paper thin but the gameplay is solid and just all round fun.
  27. coltharsironfist
    Oct 31, 2009
    Great game! A refresh into the genre and, great ideas, fun gameplay it´s all a player want from a simple game.
  28. RyanV
    Oct 30, 2009
    This game is the best dungeon crawler out there right now. From creators of Fate, Diablo, Mythos, Hellgate: London, comes Torchlight. It's only single player right now, But with the Modding Tools being released soon, Its worth the wait on multiplayer.
  29. DorthL
    Oct 30, 2009
    Best game I bought this year so far. Worth every cent of it twice.
  30. JoaoS
    Oct 30, 2009
    Given the price point, and the ammount of fun it brings, you'd be hard pressed to have an AAA console game that brings you 3 times the fun this "little" game does.
  31. OveM.
    Jan 26, 2010
    This game is amazing! Tons of items to find and use, tons of quests and tons of dungeons to explore! It plays the same as the first Diablo. One town and a dungeon beneath the town to explore. The skill system is also very cool. You choose between three tabs with lots of skills in each. There are also 3 classes. This is a must for hacknslash fans!
  32. Ribblet
    Jan 27, 2010
    The game play is excellent. Even the music mimics that of Diablo, but with better graphics. I love dungeon crawling, so this is perfect. Would have scored a 10 if it had multi-player. Great game for the price. I would recommend it to anybody that likes Diablo.
  33. David
    Jan 3, 2010
    Finally a game that really feels as good as Diablo! The ambiance and soundtrack are also very refreshing! A very good game!
  34. JackG.
    Jan 30, 2010
    Great fun, wasted many hours playing this game. Graphics are nice and colourfull never without something interesting to look at on this game. Great value for money here! :D
  35. CharlieP
    Jan 7, 2010
    It's the WOW version of Diablo. Graphics are great. Gameplay is very entertaining. No video sequence or multiplayer but read the multiplayer may come later. If your a fan of Diablo and rpg games of that sort, it will be the best $20 you have spent for a game. They also offer a very nice demo should you want to try it before buying.
  36. funkymonkey
    Jan 8, 2010
    one of the biggest clones of diablo, nice touch on the endless idea but the quests are so repetitive! its always kill this, find this, clear this. but altogether, its a great game.
  37. WilliamG
    Nov 10, 2009
    Very fun. Easy to get into and have a blast.
  38. VascoR
    Nov 20, 2009
    I'm rating this game for what it is. The game makes no pretenses of being more than a Diablo clone, but it's such a great one and a lot of fun. And when it comes to games for me, fun is the most important feature (not multiplayer, not a million different classes, etc, etc). If you even remotely like the genre, you need to get this game.
  39. ShaunChoo
    Nov 2, 2009
    This game is a-mazing! Runs on just about any hardware and is extremely good fun for all who love an old school dungeon crawler. Can't go too far wrong when several key players from Diablo are involved in creating Torchlight :)
  40. MichaelH
    Nov 3, 2009
    I can't say enough good things about this. Price, performance, action and adventure. The game is gorgeous on my Quad Core + GTX260 and on my little Netbook ( amd64 1.2ghz + ATI x1270 ). The editor is going to be available to extend the game. Best 20 bucks I've spent in ages.
  41. JeffH
    Nov 4, 2009
    Extremely solid ARPG and is great fun in a genre that lacks any decent games. The developers provide excellent support in the forums and are releasing extensive mod tools (all their dev tools) for the game. The only reason I can't give 10/10 is because it lacks multiplayer. BUT DON'T PASS THIS UP; the single player is amazingly well done and well worth it.
  42. JulienF
    Nov 7, 2009
    Excellent Diablo 2.5 ! I'm Diablo's fan since the beginning, and all I can say is it's the best diablo-like ever ! I tried Loki, Silverfall, Titan quest, Hellgate london and all were just crap. Untill Torchlight.
  43. MarkoT
    Dec 12, 2009
    The best ARPG since the Diablo games. The only drawback is the lack of multiplayer but it had to be done in order to ship the game now. MP is being worked on, in two years there will be a full blown MMO version of the game with more classes, more environments, more quests, similar gameplay but with expanded skill trees and so on. If you enjoy games like Diablo - you should love this. The best ARPG since the Diablo games. The only drawback is the lack of multiplayer but it had to be done in order to ship the game now. MP is being worked on, in two years there will be a full blown MMO version of the game with more classes, more environments, more quests, similar gameplay but with expanded skill trees and so on. If you enjoy games like Diablo - you should love this. It's adorable and the team behind it certainly knows what to do and how to accomplish it. Expand
  44. JohnnyW
    Dec 18, 2009
  45. ZootalZoot
    Dec 22, 2009
    Who cares if it is a Diablo clone? Yes, it is a bit simple and there are a few features that are annoyingly missing - such as being able to move my camera around, or a stupidly small backpack so I can't carry much around (where is that mule, anyhow?) - but the game is just plain fun. Nice eye candy, very nice music, acceptable voice acting. Well worth the money.
  46. KevinW
    Dec 22, 2009
    Very good game. As a Diablo fan, I was highly skeptical that this game could compare to the time tested series that I love. I waited until Steam had a $10 off special for it. Now that I've played it, I would have gladly payed $20 or even $30 for it. You and your chosen pet, a cat or a dog, are tasked with basically clearing massive dungeons Diablo style to do...something or other. As Very good game. As a Diablo fan, I was highly skeptical that this game could compare to the time tested series that I love. I waited until Steam had a $10 off special for it. Now that I've played it, I would have gladly payed $20 or even $30 for it. You and your chosen pet, a cat or a dog, are tasked with basically clearing massive dungeons Diablo style to do...something or other. As you might have guessed, the story isn't fantastic in the slightest, but that wasn't the reason I was playing. THE PROS: Pleasant, rotating atmosphere for the dungeons. You get a real sense of depth. Lots of loot to sort through. Normally they're items you won't be interested in, but occasionally you'll find something great. In fact, you get a lot of loot, so much that your inventory will fill up fast, which brings up your pets usefulness. Your pet proves a useful ally, especially when buffed with fish. But where your pet really shines is the automatic selling of items, which is way more useful than it sounds as your main inventory will fill up fast. This is a major addition to the Diablo game style. Plenty of options for your character in terms of magic and weapon setup. Epic and satisfying battles. Some quite difficult bosses Levels can get quite large Low price tag! CONS: No Multiplayer! This was almost a deal breaker for me and I couldn't believe they stated there would be none for this version of the game. Its low price tag convinced me to buy it anyways. Lacking story. Using the pet to sell items can take quite a while when you get pretty deep in the dungeon (2 minutes or so). Dungeons can start looking repetitive after a while. Not as many spells or customizations as I would of liked, but it keeps the game simpler. All in all, it's a very enjoyable Diablo style RPG. The lack of multiplayer will be a turn off to many players, but for its price, its a great game to tide you over until Diablo 3. Expand
  47. Simon
    Oct 28, 2009
    The good: The combat is very fun and well-done. The art is cool. Sounds are great. There are some great characters, like the robot bard. The bad: It seems way too easy, at least on normal mode - nothing at all gives me a challenge, even big bosses (they die very quickly). A roomful of enemies dies in seconds (I have a level 23 alchemist). It's all one big dungeon: There's no The good: The combat is very fun and well-done. The art is cool. Sounds are great. There are some great characters, like the robot bard. The bad: It seems way too easy, at least on normal mode - nothing at all gives me a challenge, even big bosses (they die very quickly). A roomful of enemies dies in seconds (I have a level 23 alchemist). It's all one big dungeon: There's no sense of traveling through a world, like you get in D2. You just do the levels one after another. The story is quite weak. You go into this dungeon... for some reason... and then you learn that there's an evil power, and you really should do something about that ancient evil shouldn't you! The battles get very chaotic later on and it can be hard sometimes to differentiate friend from foe. It's hard to enjoy the nice artwork from the zoomed-out view and with the enemies dying so fast. Overall, very fun game, but it doesn't try to be anything more than a fun action RPG. I'm excited to try out the editor but haven't yet. Expand
  48. SaintA
    Oct 28, 2009
    Excellent Diablo-type action RPG. Innovative pet system is entertaining as well as useful - no more running to town to dump/sell stuff every 15 minutes. The graphics are cartoony but that's not a bad thing. The look is very polished but it still runs smoothly on lots of hardware. Excellent music and sound effects will be nostalgic for veterans of the genre. Negative - cannot tell Excellent Diablo-type action RPG. Innovative pet system is entertaining as well as useful - no more running to town to dump/sell stuff every 15 minutes. The graphics are cartoony but that's not a bad thing. The look is very polished but it still runs smoothly on lots of hardware. Excellent music and sound effects will be nostalgic for veterans of the genre. Negative - cannot tell when certain buffs end - the lack of visual clutter is a nice change of pace, but sometimes you need to know when your pet's transform buff is going to end. Loading screens provide no hint as to the load progress - at first I thought the game had frozen. Expand
  49. JoshF
    Oct 28, 2009
    I've just spent a good few hours playing the demo on Steam with all 3 classes and it's been a very enjoyable experience, it's a game that's easy to get in to and will appeal to newcomers to this style of game. It instantly comes to mind as being a great spiritual successor to Diablo with it's style of play, the graphics are just charming with plenty of blood mixed I've just spent a good few hours playing the demo on Steam with all 3 classes and it's been a very enjoyable experience, it's a game that's easy to get in to and will appeal to newcomers to this style of game. It instantly comes to mind as being a great spiritual successor to Diablo with it's style of play, the graphics are just charming with plenty of blood mixed in. Although one complaint, this might just be my mouse, I found combat with ranged weapons awkward when an enemy suddenly moved and I clicked on where they were standing and moved there instead of attacking. All in all a great taste of what's to come. Expand
  50. TeodrakA
    Oct 28, 2009
    A great ARPG. Take the basic functionallity, simplify the most complicated formulas (hit chance, for example) and put a great cartoon style and a great OST... Boom. Torchlight. Very addictive and simple... I think it's the key for ARPGs... and Runic Games gave it to me for 15 euros. Pros: Simple and fun, addictive. Support for modding. Con: No multiplayer, no great-plot.
  51. Xiru
    Oct 28, 2009
    This game, above all, is a Diablo clone. This of course doesn't mean it's bad. On the contrary, it takes the basic formula and greatly improves on it. Although the voice acting is flat in places and the skill trees are slightly repetitive, fans of the genre should be able to enjoy the best Diablo clone since Titan Quest.
  52. JohnB
    Oct 28, 2009
    This game is just wonderful. Very simple to pick up and play, and very engrossing, even for experienced ARPG players. The art direction is fantastic, the monsters are unique and character progression is VERY satisfying. Loot is awesome as well, you never feel like you're getting shafted with garbage drop after garbage drop. After only 5 minutes of playing you won't be able to This game is just wonderful. Very simple to pick up and play, and very engrossing, even for experienced ARPG players. The art direction is fantastic, the monsters are unique and character progression is VERY satisfying. Loot is awesome as well, you never feel like you're getting shafted with garbage drop after garbage drop. After only 5 minutes of playing you won't be able to tear yourself away from the computer! Excellent value for $20, I would personally be willing to pay full PC price for this game at $50. Expand
  53. swampt
    Oct 28, 2009
    Torchlight is an excellent action rpg! The combat is smooth, fulfilling, and addicting. When you're not in combat, you spend most of your time determining the best equipment for your player, which in turn, means to more fun in combat. Did I mention that it's fun killing thousands of creatures in this game? Fun, addicting, beautiful, and can't wait for the MMO.
  54. NathanielJ
    Oct 29, 2009
    This has to be the best dungeon crawler I've played in a while! The skill system and character sheet are perfectly customizable as for what kind fighting style you enjoy. When I first started my character I was thinking "Crap, there's only three classes to choose from. This will be way too linear." But I was wrong. Yes, you can choose from only three classes but the classes are This has to be the best dungeon crawler I've played in a while! The skill system and character sheet are perfectly customizable as for what kind fighting style you enjoy. When I first started my character I was thinking "Crap, there's only three classes to choose from. This will be way too linear." But I was wrong. Yes, you can choose from only three classes but the classes are just as general as whether you want to play a melee, range, or caster. The skill tree and character sheet give you full choice of how you want to melee, range, or cast. This game gives you all of the features you would expect from a hack and slash RPG, and it is definitely worth the money! Expand
  55. Claudiog
    Oct 31, 2009
    Torchlight is a excellent rpg game! is the same feeling-playing diablo, but with updated graphics and effects to the present day. simply sensational and an excellent job of developers, Congratulations!!!
  56. Jamie
    Oct 31, 2009
    I love this game. Everything is so well done and so much fun. The only reason it's not getting a 10, is that it's all been done before. Who cares, you say? Kind of an abstract criticism, you say? Well, the problem is, as much fun as it feels now, I think the fun will gradually diminish ... the only reason you're playing is to get better weapons so you can go deeper into the I love this game. Everything is so well done and so much fun. The only reason it's not getting a 10, is that it's all been done before. Who cares, you say? Kind of an abstract criticism, you say? Well, the problem is, as much fun as it feels now, I think the fun will gradually diminish ... the only reason you're playing is to get better weapons so you can go deeper into the dungeons and fight better enemies so you can get better weapons so you can go deeper into the dungeons and...well, kind of self-referential isn't it? Infinite looping is stereotypically bad for cliched computers but not something people are prone to unless they're dysfunctional in some way so after a while it naturally begins to pall... But it's a minor nitpick. As dungeon crawlers go, this is sheer fun, and the most fun I've had since fate 2. If you like that sort of thing, it's a must try. Expand
  57. ehB
    Oct 30, 2009
    Torchlight captures perfectly the atmosphere and frenetic action of the Diablo series. With great graphics, music and sound this is a must for fans of that series who love to collect endless loot drops. Sadly no multiplayer for those who wish to play with friends.
  58. RT
    Jan 11, 2010
    Very good game. Gameplay is very good. I'd highly recommend this game to anyone who wants a dungeon crawler game while waiting for D3 to come out.
  59. MattN.
    Jan 24, 2010
    Great game, would of been better if it had multiplayer of some sort.
  60. JackG.
    Mar 26, 2010
  61. AaronE
    Nov 11, 2009
    Great fun, and a great loot system. Bunch of good content coming out not that the editor is available, and I lookk forward to the community.
  62. Nick
    Nov 15, 2009
    Truely awesomeness in a tin. I havn't enjoyed an RPG this much in years and it's full of great ideas and a very easy to use interface/menus
  63. MeatMan
    Nov 17, 2009
    Torchlight is easily worth twice the $20 price tag. I'm 15 hours in and I can tell there is still plenty of gameplay left just on my first character. I can't wait to see what the community creates with the torchED mod tools while we wait for the Torchlight free-to-play MMO in 18 months or so.
  64. KevinS
    Nov 24, 2009
    This game offers a lot and is fun in general for being a single player only game. I just wish there were plans for a multi-player component in the future, but there is a mod in the works to bring some basic multi-player elements. All hope is not lost for this feature, and I think they could make a killing to work this feature in later on. After all they will need some funding for their This game offers a lot and is fun in general for being a single player only game. I just wish there were plans for a multi-player component in the future, but there is a mod in the works to bring some basic multi-player elements. All hope is not lost for this feature, and I think they could make a killing to work this feature in later on. After all they will need some funding for their future MMO project and this would be a start. Expand
  65. SamsonT.
    Nov 4, 2009
    An amazing action RPG, with some cool features thrown in. Awesome graphics, even on my crappy computer. I can't wait for the MMO!
  66. GregO
    Nov 5, 2009
    This is a great, fun, and engaging game. The art direction is amazing both visually and sound-wise.
  67. GregM
    Nov 5, 2009
    This game brings back memories of the original Diablo while keeping up to the standards of todays games. An overall great game that should not be missed by any fans of the RPG genre. For $20 its a steal!
  68. seanm
    Nov 8, 2009
    Phenomenal rps dungeon crawler, ver reminiscent to Diablo, but mor simplified. my only gripe is that ther's no multiplayer, but the only reson i want it is because Diablo had it. Lets see what the modding community can do!
  69. Tony
    Dec 12, 2009
    Absolute steal for any RPG fan that loves diablo or WoW. The story line is dull but the overall entertainment is well worth your money. I would recommend this to any RPG fan.
  70. Scott
    Dec 17, 2009
    Torchlight is very fun and pleasing to the eye. It's a game where you plan to play for 5 minutes, but then end up playing an hour or two. The graphics are easy to look at, and the music is very soothing. For $20, it's a great deal. 9/10 though because there are many slow parts, such as when you reach a full inventory and have to scavenge through your backpack and delete stuff or Torchlight is very fun and pleasing to the eye. It's a game where you plan to play for 5 minutes, but then end up playing an hour or two. The graphics are easy to look at, and the music is very soothing. For $20, it's a great deal. 9/10 though because there are many slow parts, such as when you reach a full inventory and have to scavenge through your backpack and delete stuff or send it to sell with your pet (you will be doing this a lot, as there is a TON of loot). Expand
  71. SteveLatten
    Dec 24, 2009
    this game is simply amazing and it runs almost on any computer :D
  72. chrisc
    Dec 24, 2009
    Amazing!!! but would be better if could play online as well
  73. Matt
    Dec 25, 2009
    I found torchlight to be an extremely fun dungeon crawler, as long as that's what you are in the mood for. The designers seemed to think about the frustrating aspects of the genre, and eliminated them for the most part. The end result is a very streamlined and fun to play game.
  74. ChickenLittle
    Dec 26, 2009
    I don't think I need to tell you why this game is such a great Hack 'n' Slash genre revival.
  75. GeneW
    Dec 28, 2009
    Don't listen to the complainers...this game is a huge improvement on the "Diablo-style" and despite it being a modernized clone (and not very original) it is wholly enjoyable. As someone who spent an inordinate amount of time playing Diablo 1 and 2 online and off, I fully appreciate what the Torchlight developers have created here. I bought the game for $4.99 during a Steam special Don't listen to the complainers...this game is a huge improvement on the "Diablo-style" and despite it being a modernized clone (and not very original) it is wholly enjoyable. As someone who spent an inordinate amount of time playing Diablo 1 and 2 online and off, I fully appreciate what the Torchlight developers have created here. I bought the game for $4.99 during a Steam special sale, and it's worth every penny! I'm looking forward to the online/multiplayer upgrade from the developers... Expand
  76. TobiasZ
    Best RPG i´ve played ever since Diablo II
  77. Dont
    Oct 29, 2009
    The best Diablo 2 since Diablo 2.
  78. JonS
    Oct 31, 2009
    Best hack-and-slash game I've played since Diablo II. Only reason I don't give it a 10 is because it lacks multiplayer, but for $20 bucks this game is a steal!
  79. ShaunD
    Nov 11, 2009
    Game is just straight fun, the interviewer who gave it a 71 from a website, should be shot.... this game is missing nothing, fun graphics, fun style, just great fun. And i do play the "more UI" orientated games, and this one is just way up there if not better than those. So impulse gamer can suck my d****.
  80. BenE
    Nov 12, 2009
    Absolute perfection! Exactly what the Action-RPG genre needs to breath life back into it's lungs. Wonderful single-player story w/ endless replay value. I wish there was a (9.9/10) rating to give this game. Please, PLEASE Runic... bless us w/ a multiplayer heaven and you've got a perfect 10!
  81. Alppo
    Nov 27, 2009
    Metacritic... and the critics... usually get it in the ballpark... but not this time. Torchlight is the must-play dungeon crawler of the year. With the level editor out now and the infinite dungeon built-in, and three interesting talent trees to choose from on each of the three classes, Torchlight has very high replay value. Aesthetically and musically, this is the finest dungeon crawler Metacritic... and the critics... usually get it in the ballpark... but not this time. Torchlight is the must-play dungeon crawler of the year. With the level editor out now and the infinite dungeon built-in, and three interesting talent trees to choose from on each of the three classes, Torchlight has very high replay value. Aesthetically and musically, this is the finest dungeon crawler ever made. You will not be disappointed. Expand
  82. LanceW
    Nov 28, 2009
    This is more than a Diablo clone, it's the one, true Diablo successor. People leave companies, sometimes to form their own, and this is true of Runic. The developers who were the pedigree behind Diablo are now Runic, and it shows in their games, it truly does. If you loved the first Diablo, then this is the true sequel and it'd be a real shame to pass it up. Diablo III This is more than a Diablo clone, it's the one, true Diablo successor. People leave companies, sometimes to form their own, and this is true of Runic. The developers who were the pedigree behind Diablo are now Runic, and it shows in their games, it truly does. If you loved the first Diablo, then this is the true sequel and it'd be a real shame to pass it up. Diablo III isn't being developed by the same people who made Diablo so tangibly incredible, keep that in mind if you must choose between the two. Diablo III is Diablo in name alone, Torchlight is Diablo in heart and soul, and made with a degree of passion that today's Blizzard could never muster. This is Diablo, in its truest form, the great graphical roguelike, and a nifty game to boot! Expand
  83. Mordobb
    Nov 29, 2009
    Torchlight is not a simple Diablo clone. Its much more, its the game that is probably giving Diablo 3 developers some white hairs. With Torchlight a lot of the Diablo 3 features seems dull, the grafics feel weak (not withstanding a 40$ price anymore). Diablo in 2011? no way, they have too much to rework,(From gameplay to eyecandy) or they ll end up as a Torchlight clone with somewhat Torchlight is not a simple Diablo clone. Its much more, its the game that is probably giving Diablo 3 developers some white hairs. With Torchlight a lot of the Diablo 3 features seems dull, the grafics feel weak (not withstanding a 40$ price anymore). Diablo in 2011? no way, they have too much to rework,(From gameplay to eyecandy) or they ll end up as a Torchlight clone with somewhat better grafics with a WOW gamestyle for single player -skill three). No multiplayer ? Those who doesn t stand run around whinnyer (Let s rush) overpoer kids don t care. If i want multiplayer i go kill some zombies. Mild dificulty? LOL the guy haven t clicked on "hard core" before "Masochist" level You get your ass handed to you on a gold plate the moment you get too confident. Is it perfect ? No some stuff could be better for sure. But hell, it feels good. Expand
  84. FDel
    Dec 15, 2009
    This game cut the grass under D3 feets. D3 staff will have to rethink a good part of D3, good for us, if they dont want to look like a Torchlight clone. It could be better ? Yes. They could have innovated a little more and gone a little wilder on the maps. But Afaik, with the kind of crappy games we get today, 20 bucks is underpayd. The free editor is a plus for some people.
  85. joeblow
    Dec 27, 2009
    i bought this game for $10.00 its worth 4 times that much,nice graphics,an game play.
  86. Timoakat0shS
    Dec 27, 2009
    First I tried out the demoversion of TL because i jast wanted to know, how much Runics had stolen from Blizzard's epic hack'n'slay-god Diablo and the answer is: Only the best stuff! :D For this price, it's in my opinion the best action-hack'n'slay-rpg buyable at the moment! And the best is: If you are bored of that big content...go to known homepages and First I tried out the demoversion of TL because i jast wanted to know, how much Runics had stolen from Blizzard's epic hack'n'slay-god Diablo and the answer is: Only the best stuff! :D For this price, it's in my opinion the best action-hack'n'slay-rpg buyable at the moment! And the best is: If you are bored of that big content...go to known homepages and download lots of stuff and fun as Mods. You like World of Warcraft? Then just search and download the Azure-Blades for your Destroyer ;) 10/10 Expand
  87. HughG.R.
    Dec 28, 2009
    Game is pretty good, player can go around and doesn't afraid of anything.
  88. Sep 30, 2010
    really like this game which I'm sure everyone knows is sort of a Diablo knock off. That's not a drawback and at least 2 of the developers were key members of the original Diablo team. I don't play console and I have a mac so some of my choices are limited. This was a fantastic break from my usual MMO grind. Really nice game.
  89. Oct 9, 2010
    For the price you are getting a great game that will make you wish Blizzard would at least announce when Diablo 3 is coming out, but... at the same time it shows a lot of promise and maybe the people behind this game can come up with a really good sequel.
  90. May 22, 2012
    A perfect game for a low price, and loads of hours of gameplay. Torchlight 2 is going to amazing also. Love these games. I really could care less about Diablo 3 after playing the Torchlight series
  91. May 18, 2011
    Yes, it's a dungeon crawler "diablo" clone - but the thing is, Diablo is quite old by now, and there hasn't been many decent updates to the genre. Torchlight doesn't really do anything new, but that doesn't make it any less fun for a play through or two.
  92. Nov 4, 2010
    I see a mix of reviews but the trend is either you love the game or you hate it. I find those who rate the game a 1 or 2 either pissed off because they died too much or perhaps sodomizing themselves with a retractable baton because they blew their life savings on another dungeon crawler. Again, I've personally played almost every dungeon crawler out there and here's a secret ( they'reI see a mix of reviews but the trend is either you love the game or you hate it. I find those who rate the game a 1 or 2 either pissed off because they died too much or perhaps sodomizing themselves with a retractable baton because they blew their life savings on another dungeon crawler. Again, I've personally played almost every dungeon crawler out there and here's a secret ( they're all button mashing, mouse clicking adventures ). Although the concepts behind the game are not original (primarily absorbed from DII and Fate) there was still a lot of work and creativity that went into designing this game at a movie ticket price. So for those trolls out there who are score raping this game, you should reconsider based on the definition of a dungeon crawler. Expand
  93. Dec 30, 2010
    I got this game for five dollars and for that amount you can't lose. Torchlight has pleasant cartoon graphics that give the game a magical fun atmosphere and has excellent sound and music to match. The music is extremely similar to the music found in Diablo 1 and 2 but no complains there. There are many other elements that are extremely similar to the Diablo series, the gem crafting systemI got this game for five dollars and for that amount you can't lose. Torchlight has pleasant cartoon graphics that give the game a magical fun atmosphere and has excellent sound and music to match. The music is extremely similar to the music found in Diablo 1 and 2 but no complains there. There are many other elements that are extremely similar to the Diablo series, the gem crafting system works almost exactly the same but I think they went a little overboard with it as there are I believe seven levels of gem qualities and it can take ages finding the one gem you are missing in order to finish "transmuting" them altogether to get the final product. The prices in the game are a little wonky and gold can be hard to come by. A weapon that you paid 5000 gold for will normally sell back to the vendor for 50-100 gold. This can lead to one broke ass hero through the early stages of the game. I liked the fact that the game has unique animations for many of the weapons (with enchantment glows) and armor in the game, and they did a good job with the animations too. I find it highly amusing that a $5 little indie-esque game like this has better armor animations than the hugely grossing World of Warcraft. My ultimate gripe with the game is that sometimes dungeons will repeat. You'll be in a dungeon with a sense of deja-vu about the layout and once you figure out a stairway, door, exit is in the exact same place you will know that your assumption was well founded. It takes about 10-12 hours to get a character to level 35-40 and beat the main storyline of the game, but again for $5 I highly recommend this game. Expand
  94. Jul 2, 2011
    Such a simple game yet so charming, addicting, and entertaining. This is what all games should be: easy to pick up and enjoyable for a 10 minute session or a 4 hour marathon. And at its price, it's one of the best values around. It easily beats every other Diablo clone, and only Torthlight II or Diablo III will be able to trump it. So for what it is I give it a 10, despite it being fairlySuch a simple game yet so charming, addicting, and entertaining. This is what all games should be: easy to pick up and enjoyable for a 10 minute session or a 4 hour marathon. And at its price, it's one of the best values around. It easily beats every other Diablo clone, and only Torthlight II or Diablo III will be able to trump it. So for what it is I give it a 10, despite it being fairly short on content. Expand
  95. Nov 3, 2014
    A really fun solo dungeon crawler. I got fairly addicted as I kept going further and further into dungeon. Graphics are adorable, and they complement the gameplay,story and overall design of the world really well. I played this in 2014, and it holds up very well.
  96. Dec 26, 2010
    If Blizzard didn't have to break a pc sales record every game they make, this would pretty much be Diablo 3. Don't get me wrong, this is actually Fate with some extra Diablo thrown in (music made by the same composer as Diablo 2 and such). But that doesn't mean its bad. The gameplay works fine if you're not trying to have a bunch of minions on the screen, as pathfinding took a hitIf Blizzard didn't have to break a pc sales record every game they make, this would pretty much be Diablo 3. Don't get me wrong, this is actually Fate with some extra Diablo thrown in (music made by the same composer as Diablo 2 and such). But that doesn't mean its bad. The gameplay works fine if you're not trying to have a bunch of minions on the screen, as pathfinding took a hit somewhere in development. Otherwise its just a new Diablo 2, and you know the drill for that - click monsters dead, get loot, repeat. However, if you've played video games before, start on "Hard" since "Normal" is actually the "Very Easy" setting. Expand
  97. Dec 29, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A very well rounded up monsterbashing and dungeon delving game. It is quick and nonstop action for one, but the foundation and focus is on character improvement. Which is dominated by loot and gear and pure collecting galore for the perfectionists, where each item is potentially better than the last. This is driven by a random system, looting and enchanting and everything to make the best out of your stuff. Retire your character and pass any one item to a descendant, it acts as a legendary and better version endlessly. The game may be tiny ,but this makes even repeating rewarding. Very nicely shaped game overall. Expand
  98. Jan 22, 2011
    I have completely fallen in love with this game. It is brilliant, very cute with outstanding gameplay. Good interfaces and easy to just pick up and play. There has been some criticism that the game does not feature co-op or multiplayer, however in this day and age where EVERYTHING has co-op and multiplayer I found it a refreshing change to have a game I can just sit and play all on myI have completely fallen in love with this game. It is brilliant, very cute with outstanding gameplay. Good interfaces and easy to just pick up and play. There has been some criticism that the game does not feature co-op or multiplayer, however in this day and age where EVERYTHING has co-op and multiplayer I found it a refreshing change to have a game I can just sit and play all on my own in peace. The treasure hunting and fishing aspects of the game keep it fresh as do the maps that lead to hidden bonus dungeons. I am still hunting for some very specific items to get full sets of the epic type suits with awesome bonuses. All in all this game has mass appeal, yes it is not original but damn it is fun, very pretty to look at and superb to play. Highly recommended and I am looking forward to the forthcoming release of Torchlight 2. Expand
  99. Sep 27, 2012
    Torchlight is a watered down Diablo 2. If you have played Diablo 2 you will have no problem playing Torchlight. Since it is from the original Diablo 2 creators many of the names, abilities and skills are even called the same. I really liked the look of it, and it played great. It was good enough that I played through the game three times, once with each character class.
  100. Dec 20, 2011
    This game is a blast that fills a serious void. If you love Diablo 2 you owe it to yourself to play this. My only complaint would be the lack of co-op. I've seen they are putting co-op in 2 so I'm extremely excited for that. Just hope they get it out before D3!

With phenomenal music and great art direction, combined with an addictive combat system, it's hard to step away from the keyboard and mouse after the first floor.
  2. Runic hasn't dumbed down the experience, they've removed the fluff and distilled it down to the truly fun parts. Add in a few innovations and what you've got is Torchlight; a game that raises the expectations for dungeon-crawling action RPGs by being not just fine-tuned but affordable as well.
  3. The core of the game is its combat and character progression, and both of those are outstanding. Torchlight might not be breaking any new ground, but the soul of Diablo hasn't been so ably captured in years. You won't find much that approaches Torchlight's worth at its $20 price point.