8.0

1. JesseS
    Jan 1, 2010
    Awesome Game! The art is crisp, clean and beautifully rendered and will keep you mesmerized as you adventure throughout the levels. The levels are short enough to keep it casual, but the game play is fast paced, and fun enough, that you wont want to stop.
  2. MC
    Oct 30, 2009
    Excellent hack and slash RPG - Great value for money..once you start playing, you'll want to come back for more...
  3. Macca
    Jan 27, 2010
    Torchlight is firstly, a great game if you fancy something to pick up and play for an hour or two and feel a sense of doing something worthwile. Sure, it can be somewhat repetitive in its dungeon crawling ways, but it's pace makes up for that. As for having no multiplayer as some reviewers have stated, well, we all know this, but one thing to remember is that the developers are in Torchlight is firstly, a great game if you fancy something to pick up and play for an hour or two and feel a sense of doing something worthwile. Sure, it can be somewhat repetitive in its dungeon crawling ways, but it's pace makes up for that. As for having no multiplayer as some reviewers have stated, well, we all know this, but one thing to remember is that the developers are in the midst of making this title into an MMO, which could end up being a very nice game if it manages to do it before Diablo 3 is released - or after. I feel if they attempt it whilst D3 is out there, they may end up failing to bring the game to the market it deserves. If you are a fan of hack'n'slash, then you have to buy this game, if not, give it a go anyway, it's very user friendly and has a very intuative user interface with an easy learning curve. The only other suggestion I would say is don't play it on anything less than the Hard setting as normal and easy are ridiculously easy with no challenge whatsoever - at any stage of the game. Expand
  4. JeanB.
    Jan 31, 2010
    If you want a game to spend hours with fun. Play this game. We can feel the Diablo brothers in it.
  5. JohnnyW
    Jan 3, 2010
    I think this game is amazing. It is a dungeon crawler at the very finest. I finished the demo and will be buying it soon. There are three distinct classes and a plethora of items and loot to discover. The varying difficulty levels add a nice touch.
  6. AlbanN
    Jan 3, 2010
    Finally a game simple, addicted, worth the price, fast on any machine. What else do you want??? let's rock with it!!
  7. Adam
    Jan 6, 2010
    My friend peak my interest into this game. So I got it and gave it ago. Surprisingly I have really enjoy it so far. Feels like playing an updated Diablo game. If you enjoy a good dungeon crawler/hack and slash game this is something to not pass up. For its price its very much worth it.
  8. DaveL.
    Nov 1, 2009
    This is one of the best Action-RPGs I've played in a long-long-long time. It's fun and simple. It's extremely addictive too. I can't remember the last time I felt drawn to a game like this. The graphics are simple while being very vibrant. The only thing this game needs is a multi-player component. With some multi-player thrown in I'd give this a 10.
  9. JaredJ
    Dec 30, 2009
    Sometimes I wish people like Anon T would do some research before bashing a game unjustly. Torchlight may seem like a "clone" and yet... how can you clone Diablo when you co-created it? That's right. This game was made by the co-creators of Diablo. I loved the music and the new art direction taken by the team. This game is well worth the 20$.
  10. CameronB
    Jan 11, 2010
    To all the people hating because it's somewhat simple, that's the whole point. Go into a dungeon, kill lots of mobs, collect new armor and weapons, rinse and repeat. Torchlight does it amazingly, the graphics look like Team Fortress 2 met Diablo 2, and the lack of multiplayer is a small misstep, but considering I hated Diablo 2 single player and love this, you owe it to yourself To all the people hating because it's somewhat simple, that's the whole point. Go into a dungeon, kill lots of mobs, collect new armor and weapons, rinse and repeat. Torchlight does it amazingly, the graphics look like Team Fortress 2 met Diablo 2, and the lack of multiplayer is a small misstep, but considering I hated Diablo 2 single player and love this, you owe it to yourself to buy this game if you are even glancing at this review. Expand
  11. MenanP
    Jan 2, 2010
    People who say this is just a rip off Diablo and Fate, yeah it is a rip but for good reasons, same developers and designers. They reworked the action-RPG genre and for $20 it's a steal, especially when it's on sale. Low requirements is a plus for those looking for the latest RPG but only have the hardware to play Diablo 2. Nice game with very little innovation though.
  12. SimonL.
    Jan 29, 2010
    When I first started this game and I saw the inventory and all the resemblance to the "Diablo" franchise, I said to myself: "Let's play some Dia.. I mean Torchlight". The games are practivally identical. The game is quite long. As in Diablo 1, your walking down stairs. There are 35 floors and it takes around 20 minutes to complete one floor since the random level design. The gameplay When I first started this game and I saw the inventory and all the resemblance to the "Diablo" franchise, I said to myself: "Let's play some Dia.. I mean Torchlight". The games are practivally identical. The game is quite long. As in Diablo 1, your walking down stairs. There are 35 floors and it takes around 20 minutes to complete one floor since the random level design. The gameplay is fantastic. It's practicly the same as in Diablo and Diablo 2 but with some additions like the spellbar and just walking over coins to pick it up.(Note both of these features were announced for Diablo 3) The storyline is not close as good as in Diablo. No wonder though. This game is named Torchlight, but as much resemblance it has with the Diablo franchise, it would have made a great name as "Diablo 2.5". Expand
  13. Bunkai
    Jan 6, 2010
    It'd be a 10 if there were a multiplayer option... at least for LAN play. I don't require a battle.net type of multiplayer. I'm much easier to please than that. Great game, Runic! Bring on the MMO version!
  14. TomerH
    Jan 7, 2010
    Great game,anyone who loved Diablo series-this game is for him! Buy it now!
  15. johnccjohnc
    Nov 1, 2009
    Amazingly fun game! It's like someone took Diablo, boiled it down to the best parts, and then added a bunch of wild stuff. When I found out I could be a rifle-toting wizard leading a group of imps, it was cool. When my pet dog started summoning zombies it was REALLY cool. Add a steam punk robot in there, too. And this is all before level 10! Can't wait to see what the developers Amazingly fun game! It's like someone took Diablo, boiled it down to the best parts, and then added a bunch of wild stuff. When I found out I could be a rifle-toting wizard leading a group of imps, it was cool. When my pet dog started summoning zombies it was REALLY cool. Add a steam punk robot in there, too. And this is all before level 10! Can't wait to see what the developers throw at me next. They also did an amazing job with the enemies. They've avoided the "parking lot full of critters to kill" feel of Diablo that was such a grind. Instead there are typically separate large rooms with bosses who send minions out before them. The fighting comes in intense waves, rather than boring, bug-stomping sameness. I think the reviewers aren't quite seeing the creative genius of this game. Yeah, it plays like a Diablo clone. But at the same time they've advanced genre. In fact I hope Blizzard takes a long look at Torchlight and learns a few things for Diablo III. Expand
  16. SeanB
    Nov 25, 2009
    Game is refined sugar, perfect for Diablo fixes!
  17. WilliamH
    Nov 7, 2009
    Great prequel to Diablo III
  18. NickS
    Dec 10, 2009
    The best dungeon crawler available so far. Very simple but plenty of complexity if you desire it. Difficulty modes definitely challenge a player and can keep the new players to the hardcore players happy. A ton of game for the price. With a good editor and great gameplay, this is a game thats hard to pass up.
  19. Harpy
    Dec 21, 2009
    I never really got into the diabolo-style rpg, finding it a little dull and repetitive, particularly the constant back-tracking once the inventory fills. Thankfully, torchlight almost completely eliminates this problem, giving you instant access to merchants and storage from almost everywhere via inexpensive "town portal scrolls", which provide a two-way portal to town. It takes you to I never really got into the diabolo-style rpg, finding it a little dull and repetitive, particularly the constant back-tracking once the inventory fills. Thankfully, torchlight almost completely eliminates this problem, giving you instant access to merchants and storage from almost everywhere via inexpensive "town portal scrolls", which provide a two-way portal to town. It takes you to the exact point where you were in the dungeon. You can also send your companion pet to town to automatically sell some of your items, which is extremely convenient. But that's not all. The entire package is designed to eliminate the dull or confusing parts of diabolo-style rpgs. The controls are intuitive and the tool-tips are helpful (as are the loading screen tips). The effects of items, which are automatically adjusted to skill levels, are clearly displayed, and are even colour-coded to indicate the source of the effects. Even the characters move quickly, to minimise the boredom of backtracking, in the few cases where it's required. The only problem is that the gameplay is a little shallow and gets a little repetitive, but for $20, this game does a fine job keeping you entertained. Expand
  20. EvanC
    Dec 20, 2009
    Date is 20 december 2009. I am a pretty hardcore gamer. This game is brilliant. The love and detail that has gone into is cool. Its hardly a revolution, but by stripping back everything and leaving it unclutter it just feels fun and above all cool. The combat looks incredibly bright and animated and at times you get drawn inot it a bit and can really feel every blow. It is of course only Date is 20 december 2009. I am a pretty hardcore gamer. This game is brilliant. The love and detail that has gone into is cool. Its hardly a revolution, but by stripping back everything and leaving it unclutter it just feels fun and above all cool. The combat looks incredibly bright and animated and at times you get drawn inot it a bit and can really feel every blow. It is of course only a dungeon crawling diablo clone we have become used to but everything in ti feels fresh and fun, i can't beleive i got it for only 7:50. Its somewhat tedious and repetitive, but you hardly notice it when your having so much fun tearing through enemies. So maybe not a gameplay revolution but everything is spot on if not particularly invoative or original. Hard to argue for the price their asking. If you like action-Rpgs, buy it. Expand
  21. Franc
    Dec 30, 2009
    Torchlight is a stunningly addictive singler player Diablo clone. If you liked the original Diablo or simlilar hack'n'slay games - then you will LOVE Torchlight. Don't get me wrong, the game is far from perfect: no multiplayer, negligible storyline, the dungeons are "genereted" yet look and feel the same, the only real innovation is the updated pet - and yet the game Torchlight is a stunningly addictive singler player Diablo clone. If you liked the original Diablo or simlilar hack'n'slay games - then you will LOVE Torchlight. Don't get me wrong, the game is far from perfect: no multiplayer, negligible storyline, the dungeons are "genereted" yet look and feel the same, the only real innovation is the updated pet - and yet the game shines. It's fast, easy to get into, runs well on slower hardware and looks good on never, is very affordable and the best of it: it's FUN to play. What else do you expect from a game? A great play for casuals, or to feed your gaming needs after a long hard working day - and it deservers credit for doing this so well. Expand
  22. WimH
    Dec 4, 2009
    I first tried out the demo, which I played for an hour. I liked it a lot because its a great challenging game. It's been a while since I played my last RPG, but this game got me all interested again. The graphics look superb and the sounds are very realistic (as realistic as killing bad evil monsters could sound I think ;)). The game story is not that deep, but I dont care, I play I first tried out the demo, which I played for an hour. I liked it a lot because its a great challenging game. It's been a while since I played my last RPG, but this game got me all interested again. The graphics look superb and the sounds are very realistic (as realistic as killing bad evil monsters could sound I think ;)). The game story is not that deep, but I dont care, I play these games for the loot and the leveling. The VERY good price made me buy it right after I quit the demo. $20 is really a nice price which should be used more. Expand
  23. GuzM
    Oct 27, 2009
    Torchwood is an excellent Diablo clone. The graphics are pretty and the gameplay is fun. The pet, which may act as amule, tank and trashloot vendor, is an innovative idea. The game is very affordable and seems to offer a lot of content, This also applies to the free demo, I've played it for a few hours (without getting to its end) before purchasing the game and it allows you get a Torchwood is an excellent Diablo clone. The graphics are pretty and the gameplay is fun. The pet, which may act as amule, tank and trashloot vendor, is an innovative idea. The game is very affordable and seems to offer a lot of content, This also applies to the free demo, I've played it for a few hours (without getting to its end) before purchasing the game and it allows you get a realistic impression about the game with no recognizable restrictions. Well done Runic! Expand
  24. PierricB
    Oct 29, 2009
    Loved it. Followed Runic from back as flagship seattle working on mythos and I love their single player action rpg Torchlight!
  25. JasonW
    Oct 29, 2009
    This is a great game; a great addition to the dungeon crawler ARPG ranks.
  26. DonJuan
    Oct 31, 2009
    Best $20 addiction going! If you at all like Diablo, you owe it to yourself to pick this up. Story is paper thin but the gameplay is solid and just all round fun.
  27. coltharsironfist
    Oct 31, 2009
    Great game! A refresh into the genre and, great ideas, fun gameplay it´s all a player want from a simple game.
  28. RyanV
    Oct 30, 2009
    This game is the best dungeon crawler out there right now. From creators of Fate, Diablo, Mythos, Hellgate: London, comes Torchlight. It's only single player right now, But with the Modding Tools being released soon, Its worth the wait on multiplayer.
  29. DorthL
    Oct 30, 2009
    Best game I bought this year so far. Worth every cent of it twice.
  30. JoaoS
    Oct 30, 2009
    Given the price point, and the ammount of fun it brings, you'd be hard pressed to have an AAA console game that brings you 3 times the fun this "little" game does.

With phenomenal music and great art direction, combined with an addictive combat system, it's hard to step away from the keyboard and mouse after the first floor.
  2. Runic hasn't dumbed down the experience, they've removed the fluff and distilled it down to the truly fun parts. Add in a few innovations and what you've got is Torchlight; a game that raises the expectations for dungeon-crawling action RPGs by being not just fine-tuned but affordable as well.
  3. The core of the game is its combat and character progression, and both of those are outstanding. Torchlight might not be breaking any new ground, but the soul of Diablo hasn't been so ably captured in years. You won't find much that approaches Torchlight's worth at its $20 price point.