Tortuga - Two Treasures PC

2.7

1. Loki
    Sep 1, 2007
    When you start skipping the terrible cutscenes from the second one, you just know it's not going to be roses. Ascaron was the first with a pirates theme (way before Sid n Co) but they've managed to take a fun game and make it dull and irritating. Button mashing deluxe. About 15 minutes of marginal entertainment. What a pity.
  2. GuybrushT.
    Mar 16, 2007
    I returned this game the day after I bought it stating that it was damaged. It wasn't damaged. It was however a mundane, non-linear, badly coded attempt to cash in on Johnny Depp's latest movies. Combat at sea is unpredictable and luck based as your cannons range varies from being able to fire upto half a mile away and not firing at all when you are practically on top of an I returned this game the day after I bought it stating that it was damaged. It wasn't damaged. It was however a mundane, non-linear, badly coded attempt to cash in on Johnny Depp's latest movies. Combat at sea is unpredictable and luck based as your cannons range varies from being able to fire upto half a mile away and not firing at all when you are practically on top of an enemy ship. Combat on land is dependant on hammering your left mouse button whilst trying to shepherd the 6+ enemies that attack you at once into a corner before they mob you. There has been a mass of pirate-based games of recent catalysed by the Pirates of the Caribbean movies with this and the official PotC games being the worst and Sid Meier's Pirates and Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales being the cream of the crop. And I should know, I'm a mighty pirate! *strokes beard* Expand

More problematic is the game's land-based combat. While I understand the difficulty in creating a decent sword-fighting system, the, Tortuga is button-mashing at its worst -- and not even multiple buttons!
  2. Ship-to-ship combat is somewhat exciting due to some fresh options to set and trim sails, but everything else is tedious, poorly designed, or both.
  3. Despite its reliance on clich├ęs the game starts off well, with a great atmosphere and some sublime visuals (water effects and sunsets are particularly nice) but once you delve a little deeper the limitations of the hugely linear missions and combat really drag you down and suck most of the enjoyment out of the game.