• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Dec 12, 2013
4.2

1. Jan 11, 2014
    This DLC is WAY overpriced for what you get. Also the scenario is NOT very good. NOT well designed. NOT fun to play and NOT an enhancement of the core game. Its $15 for a piece of CRAP basically. There are better mods out there for free. Now CA can probably appreciate how flawed their entire approach to Rome II has been. If the engine design and the basic engine had been built properly anThis DLC is WAY overpriced for what you get. Also the scenario is NOT very good. NOT well designed. NOT fun to play and NOT an enhancement of the core game. Its $15 for a piece of CRAP basically. There are better mods out there for free. Now CA can probably appreciate how flawed their entire approach to Rome II has been. If the engine design and the basic engine had been built properly an idea like this would have translated into a great mini campaign. As it is definitely WAIT till you can get this POS for about $1. Because that's all it's worth. I fell like a real moron for paying full price for this.

Orctowngrot
  2. Jan 19, 2014
    Caesar in Gaul is the first expansion for the Creative Assembly's Total War: Rome II, and the same quality that shown through in Rome II, shines through here.
    The expansion pack starts off and lets the player choose from 4 factions, the Romans, the Suebi (a Germanic tribe), the Gauls, and the Nervii (a mix of the Celtic factions and the Germanic factions). In this focused mini-campaign, the map stretches over all of Gaul, and includes some areas just adjacent to it. While significantly smaller in scope, the game does increase the overall feeling needing to expand, and quickly. Unfortunately, that is all the game does successfully.
    The new tech trees are rotten, combining the worst aspects of Empire: Total War and the base product Rome II. The new factions add no real content into the main Campaign (purchasing Caesar in Gaul unlocks four new factions for the main game).
    The real sticking point for many fans is that multiple turns per year, and changing seasons, are only added in the mini campaign. Couple this with the still poor optimization and AI, and this game fails nearly on every aspect.
    All in all, this was rushed out too early, and more time should have gone into a massive overhaul of the AI and optimization with the launch of this 15USD product. At the end of the day, it simply isn't worth your time or money.
  3. Jan 24, 2014
    Not worth it....at all. It seems the Devs have lost focus on what makes the Total War series good. Instead of fixing a still broken game, they try an fix it in a mini dlc, which offers nothing new other then slight changes you can do yourself with player mods. I mean seriously....no offense to Caesar fans, but they could have chosen a much better Era during roman times for this DLC....GaulNot worth it....at all. It seems the Devs have lost focus on what makes the Total War series good. Instead of fixing a still broken game, they try an fix it in a mini dlc, which offers nothing new other then slight changes you can do yourself with player mods. I mean seriously....no offense to Caesar fans, but they could have chosen a much better Era during roman times for this DLC....Gaul conquests are boring, and even more boring in Caesar in Gaul. What ever happened to all nations feeling unique? Those historic pop ups that would educate you or give you a choice that could really change the outcome of your campaign? Those cool videos that agents had when they failed or were successful in a mission? Coop or Head 2 head games that players could both move at the same time? This DLC sucks...for a game which is still broken. Rome 2 is still the worst of the TW Franchise and this DLC just rubs salt on the wounds. Expand
  4. Jan 20, 2014
    Let's cut the fine introduction and move straight to the point.

What features does Caesar in Gaul add to the gameplay? Seasons. Seasons and an improved "realm divide" mechanic. Neither feature is new for the TW series, but simply features that did not make it to the main game for whatever reason - and features that were advertised as if they had been innovative or unique for this title.
    Let's cut the fine introduction and move straight to the point.

Caesar in Gaul essentially scales up a setting that is already in the main campaign. It does it well, however. It also adds one single historical battle to the existing four. A low number for any Total War game, only matched by Empire.

As it happens expansions nowadays come with the most absurd price tags. Compared with Rise of the Samurai for Shogun 2, which offered an entirely new setting, entirely new factions and units plus a number of other minor things, the price of Caesar in Gaul is borderline absurd. Almost twice the cost for a much less innovative expansion offering less features, released to an unfinished game.
  5. Feb 12, 2014
    Bought this when it came out. I didn't even try it back then. Now that I did, I wish I'd waited for a sale. Adding the seasons was a cool idea, but it should have been a part of the main game anyways. Not to mention, that these sort of smaller campaigns get boring pretty quickly. If you're not a fan of the Gauls, there is very little this DLC offers. Wait for a -75% sale or something likeBought this when it came out. I didn't even try it back then. Now that I did, I wish I'd waited for a sale. Adding the seasons was a cool idea, but it should have been a part of the main game anyways. Not to mention, that these sort of smaller campaigns get boring pretty quickly. If you're not a fan of the Gauls, there is very little this DLC offers. Wait for a -75% sale or something like that and it might even amuse for a few moments. Expand
  6. Feb 9, 2014
    I thought I'd give this a try, seeing as the main game was so broken but in the end, it's just tacked on to make an extra buck on stripped features from previous games. Not worth it.
  7. Jan 19, 2014
    hey guys, So i gave this a 10 since its exactly similar to what the kingdoms expansions were to medieval 2. If you like the barbarian factions or rome crushing barbarians, its alot of fun, it fixes loads of issues you may have with the main game.

If you own the main game you should really check it out, its only a few bucks and well worth the purchase.
  8. Jan 22, 2015
    A very small campaign for too high a price. It's basically more Rome II but just with the factions in and around Gaul. They added seasons which is nice. However, I didn't find it to be a very fun campaign. Because of the factions they start you at war with, you don't really have a choice in how to go about your campaign and it felt like i was forced down a linear path. Once I got so farA very small campaign for too high a price. It's basically more Rome II but just with the factions in and around Gaul. They added seasons which is nice. However, I didn't find it to be a very fun campaign. Because of the factions they start you at war with, you don't really have a choice in how to go about your campaign and it felt like i was forced down a linear path. Once I got so far then other factions would just declare war on me as soon as I destroyed a previous faction so I never got to personally choose what to do. Since your imperium rises very quickly, all the faction will hate you very early making any diplomatic opportunities few and far between. Expand
  9. Feb 17, 2014
    I Like it allot. Its fun, It easier then the big maps, so you are able to complete the campaign faster.
    . .
  10. Jun 8, 2014
    What I have feared bad DLC's. Maybe I expected too much, but this was a let down first dlc with the greek states was good and satisfying but this was sad. I think the game overall was sad, CA is making the game to similar just with more bugs. I think they need to start new series instead of sequels to old games such as tome total war (shogun 2 is different story mind blowing game). I thinkWhat I have feared bad DLC's. Maybe I expected too much, but this was a let down first dlc with the greek states was good and satisfying but this was sad. I think the game overall was sad, CA is making the game to similar just with more bugs. I think they need to start new series instead of sequels to old games such as tome total war (shogun 2 is different story mind blowing game). I think they should make a modern total war, or WWI or WWII or something perhaps even the crusades, or the war or roses or even GoT just not more sequels. They need to start adding to the campaign more, let us build things from scratch, and dig trenches and traps. Thats another thing units need more moves. and formations I think they should really think about adding the ability of troops laying down. Also, as said before add more things like traps like a line of oil and setting it on fire or trenches that fall under pressure stuff of that sort. CA had the ability to make this happen they made what I think are 11/10 games in the past. Expand
  11. Jul 13, 2014
    On legendary Caesar in Gaul offers a much more balanced campaign than Rome II's grand campaign.

Problems that effect the grand campaign in a negative way, such as player income skyrocketting after around 100 turns leading to a boring and easy steamroll dont exist in CIG. Overall it is a much more challenging experience than the grand campaign - and I dont think that this is by design, but more a lucky coincidence due to the size of the map.

It still of course suffers from the completely broken sieges that we all experience, but the campaign as a whole is a good one.

1. May 9, 2014
    Total War: Rome 2: Caesar in Gaul DLC doesn't really add anything to the Rome 2 experience. [May 2014]
  2. Feb 17, 2014
    A bland expansion pack not enriching the original game. Caesar's name may be attractive, but his campaign against the Gauls is not what we want to be the game's expansion pack.
  3. Feb 10, 2014
    A new quick and satisfying campaign that will keep you occupied for 10 hours on a smaller map limited to 18 provinces of Gaul and Britain. [02/2014, p.57]