• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Sep 3, 2013
4.1

1. Dec 30, 2013
    Horrific train wreck. Betrayal, and even more anger as CA release a DLC without having seriously even attempted to put a heart back into the tin man. This empty, soul less, AI impaired, stripped back, no family tree, no point to feeling attached to your general (he will die of old age in just a few turns), diplomatically impaired game does not deserve the bear the name of CA. What aHorrific train wreck. Betrayal, and even more anger as CA release a DLC without having seriously even attempted to put a heart back into the tin man. This empty, soul less, AI impaired, stripped back, no family tree, no point to feeling attached to your general (he will die of old age in just a few turns), diplomatically impaired game does not deserve the bear the name of CA. What a very sad, sad end to this otherwise brilliant gaming franchise. The political system is completely pointless, creating a civil war is pointless, in fact, after about 30 hours, it hits you what a train wreck this actually is. Spare yourself the experience. CA is still in denial, despite even massive player surveys which tell them just how bad the game is and how to fix it. AVOID. Expand
  2. Sep 5, 2013
    As mentioned by others the bugs etc. but if nothing else the loading times kill this game dead. I have a very decent PC(i7920, gtx590, 6GB) and waiting to load campaigns, battles, turns is excruciating. It's almost a return to the days of the Commodore 64 and tape loading. Your life is being wasted and you don't even get interesting loading screens to look at/read. They could at leastAs mentioned by others the bugs etc. but if nothing else the loading times kill this game dead. I have a very decent PC(i7920, gtx590, 6GB) and waiting to load campaigns, battles, turns is excruciating. It's almost a return to the days of the Commodore 64 and tape loading. Your life is being wasted and you don't even get interesting loading screens to look at/read. They could at least give you a mini game to play perhaps tetris...

I'm a big fan of the Total War series but I'm sorry to say Rome 2 is NOT enjoyable. If the loading times get fixed then maybe it get's an 8/10.
  3. Sep 10, 2013
    Rome 2 has been a massive step back in the franchise since Shogun 2. Somewhere in there is a good game, but it's bogged down in bugs, horrific AI, graphics problems and tons of really bad design decisions. Give it a few months for modders and patches to make it playable and then buy it.
  4. Sep 13, 2013
    i can only give this game a 0, and that just getting robbed AGAIN. i dont know who to blame, CA? SEGA? or ME? well i just preorder like a stupid fanboy in spite of burning my money on empire, there goes my share. Now, hows its even posible CA F***** so much this franchise, the majority of franchises fail because they dont add nothig new, but c'mon taking things away and making your gamei can only give this game a 0, and that just getting robbed AGAIN. i dont know who to blame, CA? SEGA? or ME? well i just preorder like a stupid fanboy in spite of burning my money on empire, there goes my share. Now, hows its even posible CA F***** so much this franchise, the majority of franchises fail because they dont add nothig new, but c'mon taking things away and making your game useless get its to a whole new level, thats enough, CA is dead for me.

NOW, SEGAAAAAAA. Go to HELL!!! go and buy stupid franchises like Babyz or something but dont keep destroying the developers and games that once were innovate, you dont care about the industry you just care about your wallet, DIE, ALL OF YOU (you too EA).

Just sell the the studio to Paradox Interactive, sure its worth five bucks after this disaster.
  5. Sep 5, 2013
    This game seems like an empty shell of a Total War game. Beautiful (yet horrible demanding) graphics and animations but no strategy content. In the battles you can win with nearly nothing against anything because of the dead AI that can't attack without destroy itself or defend without doing only stupid things. At this stage it seems like luck that the battles are so ugly fast you have toThis game seems like an empty shell of a Total War game. Beautiful (yet horrible demanding) graphics and animations but no strategy content. In the battles you can win with nearly nothing against anything because of the dead AI that can't attack without destroy itself or defend without doing only stupid things. At this stage it seems like luck that the battles are so ugly fast you have to come up with a very clever strategy to have battles longer than 10 minutes. And such longer battles would be nice because the loading time you have to invest every single time is really long!
    On the campaign map you are left alone to conquer anything with again nearly nothing because of the dead AI that only leaves it's towns only with max 3 unit armies that can be beaten with every garrison army with ease. The towns may look nice but they are empty because there is nothing to manage despite burning a little bit of the tons of money the game provides even the most prodigal player. Playing on the campaign map is like walking through a dead post-apocalypse town, overthrowing cardboard cut-outs of enemies.

The release version of this game is not a strategy game. It is a good looking, brain dead Blondie. It is a empty nutshell and everybody, who has seen Charlie and the Chocolate Factory knows, what is to do with empty nuts.
  6. Sep 5, 2013
    There is just too many things that are wrong. Right now i am going to try to forget that i bought this game and return to it once it is finished, polished and made into a game worth the money we payed. If you don't own the game i recommend you wait. One day it might become good.

My low score is a punishment for CA for giving us a beta.
  7. Sep 5, 2013
    Great potential..... few nice changes... that were TOTALLY anihilated by bugs, AI and the lack of features that were present in previous TW titles. Examples: no way to defend cities no walls, and no you can't build them no guard mode, javelins thrown only at charge, way to fast battles, land armies that can defeat fleets CAPTURE POINTS and most of the time very retarded AI.

C' mon

C' mon CA you can do better than that. Big warning from me, it's a shame i have been your client from first shogun and rome 2 was last product that i bought with pre order.
  8. Sep 5, 2013
    As most have said, it's clunky, slow load times, AI is dreadful, UI is confusing for some things, and quite buggy throughout various parts of the game. It is certainly playable but minus the additional features graphics in the game, Rome 1 was actually better.
  9. Sep 10, 2013
    This is not really a playable game at release. It is a bug ridden, mess which Creative Assembly (the developers) expect you to pay a premium price to be a beta tester. Shame on you CA, SEGA, and Steam for not allowing refunds for people who were scammed into buying this, by CA's fake game-play footage and marketing hype
  10. Sep 8, 2013
    Major dissapointment on release. Huge problems and game breaking bugs. I even unable to finish tutorial campaign because game crashes.

Stay Away until they fix the issues and release it much cheaper in a few months! dont fall for the hype and pay the extra cash to play it now.
  11. Sep 8, 2013
    Well, this game is just one enormous let down.

How are they allowed to release a game in this state? Just bought my high end computer, and I must admit: this game beat it. In campaign map (late game, most of map visible due to trade everywhere) I keep dropping down to 18-24 fps. Sometimes down to 2-7 if I end the turn. And should I mention end the turn? I often go away to do
    Well, this game is just one enormous let down.

And should I mention end the turn? I often go away to do something else for a couple of minutes and come back, only to find it still running.

AI. Don't get me started. I played a game against my friends kid today (9 years of age). He put up a better resistance than the highest AI setting. Incredible.

EVERY battle: I march towards enemy move 2x2 horse units out on both his flanks his entire army just starts running around in circles until it forms a blob because AI doesn't know what to do I charge from all directions routing him instantly. Unless he just separates his army in 2 parts: archer blob and spear/sword blob making my cavalry happy, but me extremely bored.

Sea combat: just autoresolve. No need to play it, most of it is just luck of the boarding-dice. Just board and hope his ship is the first to catch fire. And also, that your entire ships crew doesn't decide to miss the enemy ship and jump into the water and drown. And if u have more ships than him u stand a greater chance of losing, because your other ships will block eachother from being able to board. Even if u just send 1 ship for 1 ship, somehow 8 out of 10 ships just stop next to the other ship and refuse to board.

For the love of Mars, Jupiter and Juno, I must stop here. I could write so much more. I could fill pages upon pages with information of how this game is a fail of gargantuan proportions. But I will not. I will just.. Leave it.

Back to Crusader Kings II and Europa Universalis IV. CA needs to learn from Paradox. How to actually improve your game series over time.

Over and out, guys
  12. Sep 9, 2013
    this game is a mess. it is worse than Empire. do we pay 60$ to be beta testers? this game has no AI. CA and SEGA (i don't care is more to blame) are doing same thing over and over again. not only there is no challenging AI (oh sorry there is... buff to the stats. because who would want challenging behavior from computer opponent) but AI can do only basic stuff. no sorry, it can't do eventhis game is a mess. it is worse than Empire. do we pay 60$ to be beta testers? this game has no AI. CA and SEGA (i don't care is more to blame) are doing same thing over and over again. not only there is no challenging AI (oh sorry there is... buff to the stats. because who would want challenging behavior from computer opponent) but AI can do only basic stuff. no sorry, it can't do even that because it is buggy.
    they fix only extreme cases of retardness of AI and bugs. but they never make AI "good". community and their mods do that. vanilla TW are frustrating for people that play mainly strategies. even CA assumes that modders will do their work for them and they made that their business model. they are release framework for game. and they make beta tester from consumers. they got away with this to many time. they used all of my good will at this point.
  13. Sep 10, 2013
    Yet another corporate pickpocketing. Released with horrible AI; bugs galore; and features tore out of the game that leave a confusing empty hole. Not to mention DAY ONE DLC that should have been in the game at release for SURE.

It's yet another outrageous game release. And for those that pre-bought this game, your 51% to blame. Watch the Angry Joe video review to see in detail how

Watch the Angry Joe video review to see in detail how bad this release is.
  14. Sep 6, 2013
    Huge disappointment. I play Total War games since the first Medieval and I had high hopes for this game, but in vain. It is much worse than Shogun 2 in just about everything. I don't even know if it is salvageable with patches and mods cause it has too much oversimplified and stupid "new" stuff. I'll keep playing the fantastic and complete Shogun 2 and I hope that some talented moddersHuge disappointment. I play Total War games since the first Medieval and I had high hopes for this game, but in vain. It is much worse than Shogun 2 in just about everything. I don't even know if it is salvageable with patches and mods cause it has too much oversimplified and stupid "new" stuff. I'll keep playing the fantastic and complete Shogun 2 and I hope that some talented modders will find a way to save Rome 2. Expand
  15. Sep 6, 2013
    game looks great.
    In its trailers. Be assured this is A BETA game. with a huge proportion of players suffering from vomit inducing graphical errors to heartbreaking comparability problems.
    CA are now starting to make amends but their updates have cause some problems whilst fixing others. Now onto the gameplay. If you like previous Total War games then this is not for you. The devs in
    game looks great.

Now onto the gameplay.
    If you like previous Total War games then this is not for you. The devs in their urine soaked underwear were obviously held hostage by SEGA to release the game prematurely and to change so many tried and tested great points about the series and turn it into an arcadic casual gamer version of an RTS. With all battles now having CTF in it throwing away the reason to use ambushes and terrain to your advantage. They removed a beautiful and intuitive UI with a hideous number crunching interfave that to be honest make me fell like i am playing Europa Universals (which uis a good game but should not be in a TW series game)

Units route within 5 minutes of combat. That is however if you are ever lucky in the campaign to enter combat the AI is passive and runs away or is just plain broken at times and that is on the hardest difficulty Legendary. On normal it will ZERG rush you and that is because on the higher difficulty it analyses dangerous situation and never wants to enter a fight because it may loose. The siege battle are worst instead ogf having great epic battles with ladders and towers the AI will only try to burn your gates or naval assault which was cool the first few times but is just annoying as the AI demands to land as far away from you as possible.
    Testudo is usless against arrows hoplites and phalanxes no longer hold back enemies they just broke all unit capabilities but instead gave you magical powers to give them small buffs here and there at certain points wich is just lazy.

The sound
    It is simply brilliant the soundtrack gives pacing and the voices of troops banter when you zoom close is very amusing at times with 300 references everywhere. Example of such i i had 1 unit of spartans attacked by a full stack of Parthians when in the battle i heard a spartan say "There are so many sir"
    then another say in response "THIS IS MADNESS"

Graphics
    i was lucky enough to have a very powerful rig which meant that i was stricken with all the biggest graphical glitches ever. Yep that's right this game worked better for worse computers. I eventually managed to fix my game thanks to some trickery in script files and task manager and just simple fiddling with options in the game.
    For instance to help me i had to run in windowed mode. disabled alpha vegetation, disabled SSAIO and distortion effects. turn shadows down to low. and tick unlimited virtual memory. Then disable in task manager set Rome 2 to high prioity. There are a few more steps but they get pretty lengthy so to summarize this section after these steps i got the game running on extreme settings at 35-53fps which is decent but i should be pulling at least 70fps with crossfire on my eyefinity setup.
    (Oh btw install the latest beta drivers AMD is 13.10 that lets me use crossfire on rome 2 if you dont get it your crossfire will cause massive drops in fps due to bad optimization.)

To summaries in all now. As a veteran of the series (Shogun 1 for those of you wanting to know) i am truly disappointed in this game m it was the same case for empire but empire was a new field of warfare and a new engine. This game just feels like it is broken and i can only give it those 3 marks due to it having spartans and for CA being ther with 24 hour support with theit devs working day and night on massive future patches which give me hope for this game as shogun 2 did not work properly for mw at first until a patch came in i was first gen FX cpu back then and TW games hate multi threading in AMD's architecture but thankfully patches and beta Bios later all was fixed. so i still hold out hope and may re-review this game in a month or so after patching and extensive multiplayer testing (multiplayer completely broke as in not even working for me right now) but some people are loving it)

This is just a simple case of a big company pulling strings and rushing it out before the more mainstream games come out. They needed more time and should have released an actual open beta so they could get tens of thousands of rigs tested for comparability issues. and could have responded to fans and our constructive criticism like in shogun 2.
  16. Sep 7, 2013
    This is NOT Total War game. Don't even try it, don't even buy it. Even if you bought it by accident, don't even pop the disc in. The problem isn't bugs or anything, just doesnt feel like other TW games.
  17. Sep 7, 2013
    I know a 0 rating is harsh even almost unthinkable for most people to place on a game. Despite this, rome total war 2 needs a slap in the face for releasing an un-optimized alpha stage game.
    Personally i can look past most of its short comings and still enjoy playing the game a bit, although putting on my critical cap this game is as close to completely broken as anything iv played in years.

The game has literally taken 3 steps backwards taken out a ton of good features and introduced some good new ones which few and far between just to complement thier completely broken and/or defunct ones.

If your a huge total war fan you'll enjoy it like me but come to hate how badly done it is very soon into playing it. You can grit your teeth and hang on through the turn times and horrible AI but it dosnt get any better. Only worse.
  18. Sep 8, 2013
    As a big fan of the franchise I've waited years for this game. And it's lousy. It's not like a Total War game, it's like a bad port of a cheap console RTS game. Hyper speed battles where armies merge into huge blobs, awful AI, dumb capture the flag garbage, troops with magical powers. Before you get to all the other design flaws and terrible optimisation. Arcade Total War. Avoid like the plague.
  19. Sep 8, 2013
    You can tell that the people who rated this game weren't biased!
    Did they even play the game? Or did they just watch the trailer?
    I give it a ZERO( 0 because I felt that I was lied to by these people.
    It is a good for nothing piece of garbage, just like Skyrim. But
    in this case the majority are not in a trance, yelling ROMA!
  20. Sep 10, 2013
    If a game is unplayable, it's not even a game. It's a pile of ****.

>Terrible UI that takes up 50% of my screen
    >THE FLAG!!! REMOVE IT
    >Broken naval battles
    >Navies now worthless
    >Terrible senate system
    >No family tree
    >Terrible skill upgrade system
    >A.I. worse than rome 1 total war.

0/10. Entire franchise ruined. Good damn job.
  21. Sep 10, 2013
    I played over 30 hours of this game...it took me that long to realize the shell of a Total War game I had purchased. I am so disappointed with Rome II.

I do not like the new UI (personal opinion). The AI is a joke (both campaign and battle). It is SOOOOOOO slow it lags on the campaign map, on the battle map, AND it takes FOREVER to get through the AI turns. No family tree.

I do not like the new UI (personal opinion).

The AI is a joke (both campaign and battle).

No family tree. Why would they leave that out?

The political system is stupid and pointless. What the hell is it even supposed to do?

I feel no connection to my generals; just another face and name. If one dies, he just gets replaced by another face and name. Also, why can you assassinate one of your own generals. Why would I want to do that?

Naval battles are boring and it is a pain in the ass to get your ships to do what you tell them to do.

The land battles last minutes. I have won battles with thousands of soldiers in less than 3 minutes...why did they decide that was fun? I thought this game was supposed to be the most EPIC Total War game ever (CA's words, not mine)...................3 minute battles..........Also, go ahead and forget about tactics; every battle quickly turns into one giant blob of people..........

And those STUPID flags on the battle maps. WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY the HELL are there FLAGS!?!?! You know, King of the Hill might be a cool variant to play in a quick battle...BUT WHY ARE THERE FLAGS IN THE BATTLES I AM FIGHTING DURING A CAMPAIGN!? So stupid!

On the upside, the campaign map is beautiful and I really love the province system.

This game is such a let down
  22. Oct 6, 2013
    Another case of paid reviewers giving the buggy ass game a 78 and the ACTUAL PLAYERS GIVE IT A 3.8.
    Terrible AI, game lags constantly, end game is a DISASTER of game-ending bugs. The UI is like they just started making these games. Did they fire their entire team and hire people off the WarZ team??? Wasted my money on this. Total War is Over. Total Failure is HERE!!!
  23. Oct 1, 2013
    DON'T BUY IT before it's on budget as gold edition. The game is not complete and was released before it was complete. It has potential to be good if the huge number of OBVIOUS bugs are sorted. They never tested the game and pushed it out the door. Great play by SEGA to kill fan base and stop people buying future games.
  24. Sep 24, 2013
    I wasted my saving on a game that is unplayable omg im so crying right now total war shogun 2 was so good why has this happened please whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
  25. Dec 31, 2013
    Wow. Kudos on this one CA.....this is the reason I choose not to pre-order games anymore. Even with the "patches" I wont be able to play it, leaves too much of a bad after taste.
  26. Oct 3, 2013
    Unlike the professional reviewers I cannot give this game anything more then a 1. The reason being simply that the game itself responds like an alpha test. It does to bare any indication of a finished streamlined product. The AI which was praised to the stars before release is actually the worst AI the series has ever seen hands down, without an excuse offered for this absolute failure.Unlike the professional reviewers I cannot give this game anything more then a 1. The reason being simply that the game itself responds like an alpha test. It does to bare any indication of a finished streamlined product. The AI which was praised to the stars before release is actually the worst AI the series has ever seen hands down, without an excuse offered for this absolute failure. Speaking of failure, there was yet another video offered where the narrator claimed: This is way way pre alpha footage. The end product will look much nicer. That is of course what we all wished to hear. Sadly that pre alpha footage was clearly a sham. Since I've not seen a single person play the game and have that level of detail or polish to it. Even some YouTube rookie reviewers, a small number of which have Titan graphics cards and of course the gear to match Have not managed to attain that level of graphical appeal. Now what does this tell us? Either, the video was intentionally manipulated to make the game look nicer. Or that they have in fact managed to downgrade the graphics to such an extreme without informing their customers that the game ended up graphically in the gutter on release. There are of course many other problems in this wonder of modern gaming One of which is the time per turn. Now anyone that has played this game knows, that it has an army of factions. But so did their previous. Granted, there were not as many, but the number was still quite high. Yet it seems somehow, that they've managed to slow down the AI. In fact it has slowed down the AI so much, that in some cases, it takes up to 5 minutes to end a turn. It becomes even worse when/if you decide to play the multiplayer campaign. Added to the already exuberant waiting time, is the danger of desynchronization. It seems that once it reaches the end of the faction listing that is the factions that you've discovered thus far the game decides to simply lock up due to the desynchronization. Which effectively makes the game completely unplayable as a multiplayer product.

But the technical aspect of the game is simply half of what a good Total War game should provide us. Let's take a look at the game content. We start with political aspect. If we compare Rome 2 to Rome 1, we can clearly see that Rome 1 was far more interesting. In Rome 1 it became clear very quickly when you were either moving too quickly or too slowly. The Senate in Rome 1 was favorable to you if you did as they liked, or turned against you in the elections if you did things that they disapproved of. Their dislike for you could grow to such an extent, that they would send the appointed official to check your family's income. And if that official was not in your pocket a family member you would be fined a good amount of cash. It could further grow in scale until there was nothing left but all out war. Does Rome 2 offer such a political challenge? Sadly no. First of, the Roman senate has according to the game nothing to do with you at all. At times they are mentioned in a mission you receive as the source. But beyond that nothing. There is no extra gain or penalty if you choose to either complete the mission or downright ignore it. The family which you choose, also has no bonuses or individual traits past the bonuses written down when you are asked to choose one. It seems as though the Roman faction is a starved historically inaccurate, melting pot of bad ideas. It is starved of it's charm from the first Rome game, down to an awful anorexic visage. The family tree has been ripped out of the game completely. There is no sense of a family at all. Beforehand you could see who belonged to your family clearly in a traditionally designed tree. Choose an heir, or even focus on specific generals to be successful. For example, picking active generals from the direct descendants of their grandfather. Since we're on the topic of generals. These leaders of men die out far quicker then in any other Total War game to date. This of course, is undoubtedly due to the very unwise decision of turns. One turn equals one year now. Which directly leads to the generals dropping like flies from old age. Not offering you the opportunity to develop them properly in any sense of the word. The women that they marry are thrown in to oblivion. In Shogun 2, a good wife offered your general a great bonus, or could lead him astray even to his death with the decrease of personal security I could have easily written down another few hundred words to max out my 5000 word limit, but let's just leave it there. All in all, the game is filled with appalling bugs, crashes and unpolished material. A black sheep to put it as mildly as I possibly can in the Total War family that does it's best only when it comes to ruining the family name. Personally, it is the greatest gaming disappointment I've had in the last ten years.
  27. Sep 24, 2013
    lack of many important features present in previous titles
    - terrible UI
    - incompetent AI
    - poor unit balancing
    - lots of bugs

In short: The worst TW game to date.
  28. Sep 24, 2013
    I will do a donation twice as the R2TW's price to anyone who take Rome TW and mod it to the graphics of Rome II; same units; same administration mode; same factions; i mean, if i actually want to learn the true history of Rome, there are a lot of history books, internet sources, or even to watch to history Channel
  29. Sep 25, 2013
    The AI is worse then any Total war game released, Critics must have played 1 hour and slapped a rating on it and then f*** off, CA lied about how great the game AI is and the game-play,
    1.FREE Ships
    8.still in beta
    9. Battle lagg
    10. Creative Assembly lied
  30. Sep 25, 2013
    This game at the date of release is in unplayable state. What's wrong with it?
    Well... basically everything in this product is unfinished and unpolished, that should be worked on for another 2 months. As a Total War series veteran this game is not fun to play at all. Even with AI difficulty on the highest level this game presents no challenge whatsoever.
    AI is braindead. Optimisation
    This game at the date of release is in unplayable state. What's wrong with it?

AI is braindead.
    Optimisation is a joke.
    Multiplayer is stripped from all features introduced in Shogun 2.
    UI is messy and hard to get information you are looking for.

Creative Assembly is currently producing patches on weekly basis with questionable results. This game still got some potential left in it but if you though about acquiring Rome 2 you should wait for another month or two. After that time this game will be back on tracks hopefully.
  31. Sep 29, 2013
    This score is based on the following:
    Pay to Beta test the game, as CA are clearly incapable.
    If you buy this game, you will become the proud owner of Dreadful AI, battles that last 5-10 minutes, mosh pit style battles.
    AND as a SPECIAL bonus, you get to pay EXTRA for additional factions.

All this can be yours !
    Buy now !
    Regret later
  32. Sep 29, 2013
    Having played for some 12 hours I can say with confidence that you should NOT BUY THIS GAME save both your time and money as there are much better uses for both
  33. Sep 30, 2013
    I played this game few hours. Historicity gone, Playability gone, Atmosphere gone, Logic Gone, AI is a joke no matter patches. I had same feelings from battles like playing old stupid Dune2, C&C like games. Rome I and even more Roma Surrectum II Mod is better game than this piece of crap. Maybe this game was crated by new generation creative assembly employees.
  34. Sep 30, 2013
    First of all I am (was) a Huge fan of the total war series Especially Rome 1. However This newest edition to the franchise is a huge disappointment it feels much like a civilisation game and the winning elements of a Total War game are now gone.It has been stripped bare to the point where the list is too long to mention.Performance problems are possibly the worst part. I wonder is anyoneFirst of all I am (was) a Huge fan of the total war series Especially Rome 1. However This newest edition to the franchise is a huge disappointment it feels much like a civilisation game and the winning elements of a Total War game are now gone.It has been stripped bare to the point where the list is too long to mention.Performance problems are possibly the worst part. I wonder is anyone from the original Rome 1 Team still works there because it certainly doesn't feel like their work. This has been a step back for the total war series,Patches or no patches Expand
  35. Oct 3, 2013
    As a previous reviewer had commented, the current commercialized review system is very much like the American political system. The average persons desires perspective is completely ignored as big money interests call the shots. The end user is simply not represented in any real way. I have been playing the Total War series since Shogun 1, and my personal favorite of the entire series isAs a previous reviewer had commented, the current commercialized review system is very much like the American political system. The average persons desires perspective is completely ignored as big money interests call the shots. The end user is simply not represented in any real way. I have been playing the Total War series since Shogun 1, and my personal favorite of the entire series is Medieval War 1, which I still play regularly. Creative Assembly lost the plot with Empire, but somewhat corrected course with Shogun 2. However, Rome 2 is completely and utterly broken in every possible way. Glitchy graphics, abysmal AI, boring battles, and the strategic aspects of the game are incomprehensible as well as counter-intuitive. Even after a patch or two, the game remains frustrating and unplayable. This is, officially, the last TW product I will ever buy from CA. The most depressing thing about this whole matter is the fact that CA could have taken the exact, precise gameplay, interface, and engine of Rome 1, updated the graphics and cutscenes a bit, and had themselves a real winner. As an aside, the conventional review sites, Metacritic not included due to this peer review option, are making enemies among the gaming community faster than they might realize. Just as the internet is crushing the "main stream media" dinosaurs, the big name sites might find themselves obsolete if they do not clean up their act. Same goes for CA, too. Expand
  36. Oct 4, 2013
    DON'T BUY THIS ONE.
    This is the worst game I pre-ordered this year.
    Cappy AI and UI, Awful performance optimization, and bunch of bugs to make you angry.
    Give me my money back, you SEGA and CA.
  37. Oct 7, 2013
    Buggy and not finished. Gameplay is made much more simple which in these series is a shortcoming.
    I believe the next instalment will be playable on consoles. Battles are a mess. Either dont work or there is an orgy in armour. Everyone is mixing with each other. Dont buy or wait for some crucial patches. But as we all know, crucial patch maybe will come with the expansion and you will be forced to pay extra money for game which may be at last finished.
  38. Oct 7, 2013
    there is no AI, ergo there is no game
    your save games will become corrupted
    pancreatitis was more fun than this 'game'
    whatever you do do not waste your money like I did on this game

this company has gotten away with screwing its fans for far too long as gamers we need to show them this stops here
  39. Nov 26, 2013
    a TOTAL disappointment, completely revised UI, hopeless designation units, and above all, completely broken and changed for the worse gameplay mechanics, the idea of the automatic creation of the garrison is so nonsense that I do not know what to say. I have no idea what an idiot came up with all these weird concepts, but what was good and beautiful is gone, the new title is hopelessly BAD
  40. Dec 1, 2013
    Long time Total War fan I was hooked after hearing my first riveting battle speech on the original Rome: Total War. I recently just got back from Afghanistan, and was surprised to see that Rome II was out! I immediately downloaded, so excited to play the sequel to this epic game from my Childhood.

What a waste of my time and $60. And now? Now it's 50% off on Steam. I cannot believe CA stooped to this level, of pushing out this still After nearly a year beta product. And it's not even the fact that it's so Beta, but everything that made the Original Rome: Total War awesome, was completely missing.

Rome II is laggy, ugly, and not engaging at all. And my biggest peeve? No Family Lines? WTF?

If you have a $3,000 gaming rig like me, guess what, this is the only game that will make you feel like you're underpowered. But, you're not. It's the game. This is the most unstable game I have ever played on my rig. How is it that I can play 5 windows of Crysis II without a drop in FPS, yet Rome II literally slows me down to a crash within an hour. Memory leaks, anyone? Talk about great patching and coding.

Don't bother with this garbage, and I cannot believe Reviewers made this game seem so good. They obviously didn't spend more than an hour on it. And CA? You want a hint? Take what made Medieval II and Rome: Total War great, and make it better. No fancy laggy map, no linear battles, no kindergarten gameplay. Just treat us like the hardcore strategy fans we are. Thanks.
  41. Dec 2, 2013
    Absolutely horrible ruined my hope for total war. No family tree wtf. Also its Rome for god dammit it has families and such. Generals who cares which one dies or not. They seem to be replaceable chess pieces pieces. AI agreed horrible to play a 10 year old kid would have beaten the ai with some minor difficulties.
    Simple ui design made it look better but horribly more complex. They
    Simple ui design made it look better but horribly more complex. They removed the tool tips had to spend most of time reading instead of playing
  42. Dec 3, 2013
    Yes, the user interface is the worst of the series yet. Beautiful graphics are one thing, making the game enjoyable another.

Someone fell clearly in love with the unit cards, and wasn't slapped out of it by her or his colleagues. They make unit types unrecognizable, the army movement on the map is dodgy and so on. I don't even mention naval combat, maybe less would have been more?

Historicity is unfortunately important when I buy a game like Rome II I am pretty sure I saw Germanic ballistae. Maybe it's time to install Europa Barbarorum again.

To summarize disappointing on.quite a few levels.
  43. Jan 10, 2014
    It is Total War game: +10
    Still bugs and horrible AI in patch 8.1 : -3
    Headless chicken patching policy. (for example formation attack button is a joke): -2
    Steps in game mechanics in the WRONG direction and unfinished/unpolish features: -5

Total Score: 0
  44. Dec 22, 2013
    Horrible UI.
    Horrendously confusing unit cards.
    Fix the triremes.
    Where is my guard button.
    Make a unit card that covers half my screen.
  45. Jan 2, 2014
    Too many missing features missing in this piece of ****.
    The AI is even more stupid compared to other titels. If thats possible...
    Confusing unit cards.
  46. Jan 4, 2014
    I love the total war saga so much that I cant describe it with words. I have wanted to play this game for a very long time now and when it finaly released it was completely unplayable, lots of bugs and horrible ai. I have waited 4 months now for them to patch it, but it is still unplayable. I cant even play campaign, custom match or the prologue. I would say this game is completelyI love the total war saga so much that I cant describe it with words. I have wanted to play this game for a very long time now and when it finaly released it was completely unplayable, lots of bugs and horrible ai. I have waited 4 months now for them to patch it, but it is still unplayable. I cant even play campaign, custom match or the prologue. I would say this game is completely unplayable even with 4 moths of patching. Expand
  47. Jan 7, 2014
    I have played the total war series from Rome 1. This game is the least enjoyable of them all. A big step down from Shogun 2. Confusing, boring, and uninspired.
  48. Mar 15, 2014
    this game disgraces its predecessors in almost every way possible. I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone. If you want a good total war game try Rome 1 or shogun 2 but don't buy this game its a disgrace and a waste of time and money.
  49. Dec 24, 2013
    This is about the most frustrating, slow, bugged, random, stupid, idiotic, pathetic, moronic piece of garbage game I have even seen in my life. I've had more fun doing _nothing_, just after I threw this disk out of the window and wiped the hard drive of every single bit of this time wasting joke.
  50. Sep 12, 2013
    If you a Total War fan or love video games, this review is for you:

This game was advertised with videos of supreme graphics and developers themselves from Creative Assembly talking about how Rome 2 is the biggest Total War they've ever made with 40% more budget than any other project they've done in the past. This is how they turned this AWESOME saga in a complete with NO A.I.
    If you a Total War fan or love video games, this review is for you:

This is how they turned this AWESOME saga in a complete with NO A.I. WHATSOEVER (even when they fix it, the A.I. will use ATTACK RECKLESSLY TO THE FLAG-strategy.

SEGA and Creative Assembly DECEIVED with lies but not WORDED LIES, VIDEO/IMAGES LIES HIDDEN AS DECEITFUL FEATURES.

In Rome 2:

- Sieges nowhere close the size of anything we saw in videos/panorama pictures

- The A.I. which had more budget than ever for Rome 2, WAS NO DEVELOPED AT ALL. Just given simple path finding instructions to CAPTURE FLAGS which are bugged right now but even when fixed, it will be the worst A.I. in a TW to date.

- They completely removed the Family Tree/Leader Figures. You get an infinite pool of worthless generals.

- There is NO POLITICAL SYSTEM WHATSOEVER and it was advertised as a big feature along with a storyline driven campaign map.

- Graphically wise, the colors of the armor in the soldiers are washed out, less quality and detail in the armor of soldiers gtx 770 lighting, all max, min fps 25 while on big battles even in high end rig.

- The diplomacy is completely useless and confusing. There is no diplomacy whatsoever, just "attack here" for your allies. If you want to directly talk to a faction you have to transition into a small list that can only show 5 factions at a time and there are 110 in the game.

- The detailed straightforward User Interface from Shogun 2 was completely ditched and redone a Java-type-game UI that demands annoying micromanaging for doing simple tasks.

IF you want a real honest 40 minutes long review of Rome 2 total war done by a real fan of the series for more than 10 years, go search Angryjoe in youtube.

Avoid this game like them peoples did in middle earth with black pest. Focus your hate on SEGA for pushing CA to meet the deadline so they could show over inflated annual reports.

I can't believe it but SEGA has turned to be more greedy and worse in every other aspect than EA.

SHAMEFUL DISPLAY
  51. Sep 10, 2013
    Well, what a surprise, obviously CA DID NOT LEARN ANYTHING FROM THE ORIGINAL RTW! ALL THEY HAD TO DO WAS KEEP WHAT THE ORIGINAL GAME HAD AND IMPROVE ON IT! THEY FAILED AS BAD AS THE OPRAH NETWORK ON IT, IT JUST BLOWS MY MIND HOW BAD THIS GAME IS. THE AI IS BRAINLESS AND SOME GENIUS WHO THOUGHT CAPTURE POINTS ON A BATTLEFIELD BATTLE WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA SHOULD GET FIRED DAMN! THE AI IS LIKEWell, what a surprise, obviously CA DID NOT LEARN ANYTHING FROM THE ORIGINAL RTW! ALL THEY HAD TO DO WAS KEEP WHAT THE ORIGINAL GAME HAD AND IMPROVE ON IT! THEY FAILED AS BAD AS THE OPRAH NETWORK ON IT, IT JUST BLOWS MY MIND HOW BAD THIS GAME IS. THE AI IS BRAINLESS AND SOME GENIUS WHO THOUGHT CAPTURE POINTS ON A BATTLEFIELD BATTLE WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA SHOULD GET FIRED DAMN! THE AI IS LIKE EMPIRE DUMB, IF ANYTHING THIS GAME SHOULD OF BEEN FREE TO MAKE UP FOR THE FAILURE THAT EMPIRE WAS BUT NO THEY US MORE BY TRYING TO SELL EVERYONE WHO DIDNT PREORDER DLC. ALL FIGHTS ARE MOB FIGHTS ITS NASTY, ROMANS FIGHT LIKE BARBARIANS U CANT STAND GUARD AND FIRE AT WILL WITH COHORTS LIKE ORIGINAL RTW BUT IN ORDER TO USE IT YOU GOT TO CHARGE WHICH IS HORRIBLE IF YOUR ON DEFENSE! WOW, ALL I KNOW IS THERE GETTING A 0 FOR EVEN THINKING ABOUT CHARGING DLC WHICH IS A RIP OFF, WHY DID I PAY $60 FOR 70% OF THE GAME FOR THEM TO SELL ME SECTIONS OF IT LATER IN THE DLC??????? BAD BAD BAD, THE ORIGINAL ROME TOTAL WAR HAD IT ALL AND STILL DOES WHICH IS SAD CONSIDERING ITS BEEN 10 YEARS AND THEY HAVENT LEARNED FROM WHAT MADE THAT GAME SO GREAT ITS JUST SAD AND SICKINING, DAMN IS CAMPAIGN BORING, HARD IS LIKE EASY ON THIS GAME AND EASY IS LIKE INVINCIBILITY. HELL THE EXPANSION BARBARIAN INVASION HAD A TON MORE CONTENT THEN THIS GAME SAD! DO NOT BUY Expand
  52. Sep 9, 2013
    I don't really know where to start this... I'm about 20 hours into the game and I have to say that this game is decent, but is far from being a decent product.

1) Poor optimization this will get fixed eventually, but it's strange that the game has set ittself to ultra on my machine which I upgraded for some upcoming releases and THEN I have to revert that manually to very high and still get the ocasional lags when fire efects come in. I try to ignore the fact that the game looks ugly atm...

2) Naval battles are broken they just are. Remember all those fancy videos from the devs where 2 fleets clashed: raming, boarding and whatever else was there? Well, it's all on youtube but not in the game.

3) UI very confusing and after my 20 sth hours of playing I still have problems with getting used to it. It actually looks like a port of a tablet made game too little and with a very unfriendly look.

4) AI as much as it pains me to say this... the battle AI completely sucks. If the auto calculator tells you you will loose and be left with 20-30% of troops, it means that you can win with 75% of your mob alive. I mean, I do understand that training and morale play a huge role even in modern battlefields but beating 4 full armies (20 units each) of bronze/silver experience with one army of gold lvl units is absurd. Unless they fix this, it's a zerg game deploy as close to the enemy and start slaughtering them.

5)Victory points an idea that is correct for multiplayer battles and forces the side that can be passive to actually move. But in singleplayer, their placement in many battles (especially sieges) is a misunderstanding and leads to the AI trying to rush them no matter the cost, and if they're defending they seem to ignore them until you start taking over...

I could go on about little stuff like crappy looking unit cards (which still tend to confuse me at times...), quest glitches the fact that most "hero" characters that are now essential to having an army are ALWAYS 40 years old when you take them and few manage to live to see 65 which means that getting a commander to a decent lvl will usually result in a frustrating cinematic of his death "from natural causes".

I'm disapointed, and recomend all fans who still haven't gotten it to stay away untill all major issues are patched. Newcomers can add a point to my score, but should stay away as well. Just wait for a Christmas when it's sold 30% cheaper.
  53. Sep 6, 2013
    CA have produced a compelling and interesting strategic game, with a completely broken tactical battle engine. Until modders are given the tools to do the work that CA should have done to produce a workable battle system, this is best avoided.
  54. Sep 5, 2013
    This game feels unfinished and very buggy. This is my first total war game and I expected a whole lot better then this. The overall graphics are not great even on the highest setting. I saw many graphical glitches and awful textures especial for the landscape looks like it was made in 2005. The A.I. Is pretty awful and the battles between enemies is almost hard to watch its so bad. ManyThis game feels unfinished and very buggy. This is my first total war game and I expected a whole lot better then this. The overall graphics are not great even on the highest setting. I saw many graphical glitches and awful textures especial for the landscape looks like it was made in 2005. The A.I. Is pretty awful and the battles between enemies is almost hard to watch its so bad. Many A.I that are not on the front line will just stand there and wait until the soldier in front has died instead of actually fighting. The tutorial is awful and doesn't really teach the player how to play correctly. The U.I. is poorly executed and the game doesn't give the player a sense of accomplishment or reward for good strategies and tactics, The game play is sub par and after completing a tutorial it doesn't tell you what you could have corrected or what kinds of mistakes you made. Overall the game still feels like its in alpha or beta and really has some potential but its very poorly executed. Expand
  55. Sep 5, 2013
    The stupid AI, loading times, graphical errors, poor performance, unreasonable diplomacy, only being able to recruit with generals, having a limit to your amount of military forces, having to read a small wiki page each time you want to know what a unit does because why not have that on the tool tip?. The unit cards not giving you enough information and whatever else I am forgetting makesThe stupid AI, loading times, graphical errors, poor performance, unreasonable diplomacy, only being able to recruit with generals, having a limit to your amount of military forces, having to read a small wiki page each time you want to know what a unit does because why not have that on the tool tip?. The unit cards not giving you enough information and whatever else I am forgetting makes this a very poor total war game.

Avoid until fixed.
  56. Sep 6, 2013
    Its a must not buy game...broken,full of bugs, awfull performance and a dull A.I...13 hours of gameplay and the only thing i can say its that C.A has tottaly failed its a shame for the company... the patch haven't changed anything significant...very dissapointing and a waste of hard earned money...
  57. Sep 7, 2013
    Worst UI made by CA
    - Horrible and ugly looking unit cards
    - Graphical issues all over the place - The Turn in campaign takes forever (2 min, even with decent Hardware) - Poorly optimized engine - Graphics is`nt so good as supposed to be - Rushed release of the game - Land-battles are too fast no strategy at all ) -Even my grandma can command better than this trash AI - AI
    Worst UI made by CA
    - Horrible and ugly looking unit cards
    - Graphical issues all over the place
    - The Turn in campaign takes forever (2 min, even with decent Hardware)
    - Poorly optimized engine
    - Graphics is`nt so good as supposed to be
    - Rushed release of the game
    - Land-battles are too fast no strategy at all )
    -Even my grandma can command better than this trash AI
    - AI Path-finding is insane
    - 1-day DLC

Outcome Biggest over-hyped game of 2013. Cant believe my eyes this game made out of beta.
    Worst total war even made by CA.
  58. Sep 7, 2013
    The worst total war to date! Even ignoring the huge number of bugs and performance issues the game play is terrible. No units in the game hold cohesion in battle so all battles quickly degenerate into a mass brall. The ai in battles is worse than in previous versions of the games so in general the battles are simply not fun to play.

The single player campaign takes so long to carry

The single player campaign takes so long to carry out the processing at the end of a turn that is almost unplayable. The provinces system in the game has potential but the necessary information is not easily available and in some cases unavailable. The result is the player is forced to micromanage in order to survive in the later campaign. The result is that playing the game becomes a chore and not fun to play at all.
  59. Sep 7, 2013
    I wrote a five thousand word essay of complaint. It just died so I'll keep it short. Awful game, this coming from a loyal customer. Lack of hellenic and other unit diversity, recycle of same unit of hoplites and pikes, without ethnic looks or statistics or aesthetic changes. All recycled for each faction. Sounds correct. Compare this to Rome 1: Alexander expansion, there you know howI wrote a five thousand word essay of complaint. It just died so I'll keep it short. Awful game, this coming from a loyal customer. Lack of hellenic and other unit diversity, recycle of same unit of hoplites and pikes, without ethnic looks or statistics or aesthetic changes. All recycled for each faction. Sounds correct. Compare this to Rome 1: Alexander expansion, there you know how diverse the eastern and hellenic armies were.

Want a funny Joke? Watch Rally point episode 14 on youtube, 8 minutes of the AI lead programmer lying about his extensive AI advances. It's so funny and makes one maddeningly angry. The second funny joke is Rome 2. Can we have the real one please, and not this obvious piss take?
  60. Sep 7, 2013
    NEVER AGAIN will I be sucked into your flashy ads and trailers for a game that is absolute crap!! I have paid ONCE AGAIN for a lackluster game in the hope and belief your company would learn from its mistakes and give the consumer what it wants in a historical strategy game. I have played every single game you have put out from Shogun to Napoleon and now this last entry into your line upNEVER AGAIN will I be sucked into your flashy ads and trailers for a game that is absolute crap!! I have paid ONCE AGAIN for a lackluster game in the hope and belief your company would learn from its mistakes and give the consumer what it wants in a historical strategy game. I have played every single game you have put out from Shogun to Napoleon and now this last entry into your line up of games is the last straw. This is NOT, I repeat NOT a game. It is a beta and no more, for which we paid a ridiculous amount of money and even more so because I promised not to allow myself to be ripped off by Creative Assembly/ EA games anymore. You need to learn that we are NOT your donkeys for testing. You pay people to do that and need to be much more selective in your hiring process for those who develop the AI in the game. The AI is atrocious. You can beat any army within minutes and the graphics are terrible for a game for a game being put out in 2013. Give us our money back and get it together. I will never again buy one of your products. Rome Total War 2 is a farce!! DON'T buy into it. Let them do their research and development properly at their own expense NOT ours!!! Expand
  61. Sep 10, 2013
    Total War: Rome II has potential, but to use that it would have needed 1 or 2 month more development time. Sadly, at the moment (Patch 1) the game is not playable. It crashes ever ~5th turn, calculating the next turn takes 2 to 5 minutes and the game has really poor graphics (where Total War: Shogun 2 was running fine). And then there is the horrendous AI...
  62. Sep 10, 2013
    Very bad game compared to the other total war titles. Ai is Junk, UI is junk, Graphics are horrible and the campaign is just plain bad and isn't even needed since it doesn't bring anything to the game except bad experiences. The game runs slow and even my friend with the latest specs only get 15 fps. I think its time for CA to sit down and really re-evaluate how to make games... CustomersVery bad game compared to the other total war titles. Ai is Junk, UI is junk, Graphics are horrible and the campaign is just plain bad and isn't even needed since it doesn't bring anything to the game except bad experiences. The game runs slow and even my friend with the latest specs only get 15 fps. I think its time for CA to sit down and really re-evaluate how to make games... Customers wont pay you 50 euros for the next total war title if u make a joke of us like u did with this game, promising us a great experience(worst total war game ever). Expand
  63. Sep 25, 2013
    This game is broken beyond belief. So much lag with the lowest settings so its obviously not the computer its the game. ITS BROKEN. To legally be able to release a game and charge $60 for something broken just makes me wonder what this world is coming to. Stay far away from this game, you will be less frustrated doing so. Wish I did
  64. Sep 5, 2013
    CA & SEGA knew about all these issues, yet they dare to release this Playstation one looking game filled with bugs and AI. Some one should sue their asses for false marketing.
    The graphics remind me of a really bad console port, the AI is redic retarded, filled with bugs which slows down campaign loading, etc..
    Unlike most, i do like the UI tho, like the style. I hope they'll fix this
    Unlike most, i do like the UI tho, like the style.
    I hope they'll fix this game in the best way they can, because i rlly do love the Total War series. Too bad money interests destroys another game.
  65. Sep 11, 2013
    As usual the Critic reviews were bought, and as any other TW release it is a pile of code crap. The AI is even worse than previous games! Just wait a year for the modders to fix the game and buy it on discount from Steam. Unfortunately that is the standard procedure for any TW games. God bless the modders.
  66. Sep 17, 2013
    The most disappointing iteration of Total War yet. The game suffers from horrific graphics, terrible performance, idiotic A.I. and is a bug filled mess. There are now capture the flags which appear in EVERY type of battle, completely taking strategy out of the game, tons of features have been removed with nothing at all added.

SEGA and Creative Assembly are planning on porting this to

SEGA and Creative Assembly are planning on porting this to the consoles, which is why the game has been dumbed down so horrifically. It is a streamlined, broken, pathetic shadow of it's former self. Avoid this at all costs, even if/when they fix it. Vote with your wallet and show the money grabbing corporations that we will not stand for this kind of treatment.
  67. Sep 11, 2013
    i have been a fan of total war games from creative assembly for a while now but this is just a slap in the face first of all the f***ing flags WHY next AI is broken completely broken clearly Sega is just pushing Creative Assembly to hard like they did with Gearbox I AM SICK OF THIS SEGA GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER OR I AM DONE BUYING GAMES FROM YOU....

anyways i give this game a 3/10 just to

anyways i give this game a 3/10 just to be forgiving to CA but this better not happen again Sega i mean it don't let this ever happen again to one of my fav game titles out there since Aliens CM was already butchered and thrown to the curve don't do that again EVER
  68. Sep 4, 2013
    Bugs, I can handle, I can wait for the patches... But what I can't stand are some ridiculous fantasies presented in this game. If you have any knowledge of history--or dare I say, commonsense?--you would find some things represented in this game immature and disturbingly retarded.

When I see half-naked men on steroids marching toward me in drilled line formations I start to wonder if CA is insulting my intelligence or if they were just trying to out do Hollywood.

Campaign map is very innacurate. Embarrassing.
  69. Sep 4, 2013
    This game still sucks even if you take out all of the bugs. Everything is oversimplified, the politics make zero sense, public sentiment is the AI sucks, you can have magical navies via your army.... the list goes on.
  70. Sep 5, 2013
    This game is in a BETA state. Might be worth purchasing in a half year after a lot of patches and modding for half the price. DONT buy it now, if you can- get a refund. It's time developers learned thier lesson.
  71. Sep 5, 2013
    I bought every Total War game and expansion, starting with the formidable original Shogun TW. I pre-ordered Rome II, though I had my doubts, remembering Empire, for that matter. Rome II is, unfortunately, worse than I imagined, buggy and impossible to play on a machine that should not have any problem.

This is very, very disappointing. Sorry, CA, but somebody should really take

This is very, very disappointing. Sorry, CA, but somebody should really take responsibility for this crappy release.
  72. Sep 5, 2013
    Key features from previous games scrapped, notably regarding tactical usage of units (no guard mode, impossible to throw javelins on a skirmish mode...)
    - Super quick battles leaving no time to think
    - Messy behavior of units - AI stupidity All these make the tactical battles irrelevant.at a game-play level, beyond the nice showcase. The strategic map is nice but as the strategic
    - Super quick battles leaving no time to think
    - Messy behavior of units
    - AI stupidity

All these make the tactical battles irrelevant.at a game-play level, beyond the nice showcase. The strategic map is nice but as the strategic layer of the game is only a pretext for hopefully interesting battles, I don't see the point.
  73. Sep 6, 2013
    I was so excited about this game and it is my first big disappointment of 2013. I have a GTX 690 with 4gb VRAM yet the game only detects 2gb as it has no multi GPU support! A PC game in 2013! Really?! Add my 32gb RAM and i7 3770k quad core running at 4.3ghz to the mix and you would think this game would run fast on all the max settings? Wrong, benchmarking puts it at around 30fps! I setI was so excited about this game and it is my first big disappointment of 2013. I have a GTX 690 with 4gb VRAM yet the game only detects 2gb as it has no multi GPU support! A PC game in 2013! Really?! Add my 32gb RAM and i7 3770k quad core running at 4.3ghz to the mix and you would think this game would run fast on all the max settings? Wrong, benchmarking puts it at around 30fps! I set all the graphics to low and the fps appears to be locked at 66....why? Turns take forever, random graphics glitches, terrible AI that makes the game boring, stupid capture the flag in land battles that essentially throws any terrain based tactics out the window, did I mention the AI? Oh yes, but it's that bad it needs mentioning twice! Creative Assembly needs to fix this broken game....and quickly, the first Beta patch has made no improvements and if anything my fps dropped by 1-2! Patches are supposed to make things better, not worse!!! CA need to get their whole development team and probably a very good external QA team to fix the following:

- Hardware optimization (especially multi GPU and cards with large VRAM)
    - AI
    - Campaign turn times
    - Remove capture the flag from land battles, it is not welcome and has ruined the primary attraction of the TW franchise.....you know....the war part.
    - Improve unit textures, Shogun 2's were better
    - Overhaul character avatars.....they look....terrible, seriously just replace them with concept art, CA's art department are the only ones who come out of this launch with their reputations intact!

There are probably many other things that need addressing, but CA need to accept that the game is broken and needs fixing quickly.....I would also like to see some kind of special offer for people like myself who pre-ordered this game in the hope CA had learned from previous mistakes. I certainly won't be buying another TW game at launch, that is for sure.
  74. Sep 7, 2013
    Game is a absolute, utter, disappointment. The gameplay it self is horrible, dumbed down, and hand holding. The optimization is terrible, not only graphics look worse than 3 year old Shogun 2, but the game is buggy as hell with constant CTDs.

DONT BUY THIS GAME
  75. Sep 7, 2013
    Started the total war series with Shogun long ago. Have bought every game and watched the progression. This game was a disappointment for me. It is playable to a degree but the AI is seriously the worst I have seen yet. I spent the last 30 minutes in fast forward while a huge enemy army ran in a circle blob thing outside of my city. The naval combat is meh. The graphics are relatively okStarted the total war series with Shogun long ago. Have bought every game and watched the progression. This game was a disappointment for me. It is playable to a degree but the AI is seriously the worst I have seen yet. I spent the last 30 minutes in fast forward while a huge enemy army ran in a circle blob thing outside of my city. The naval combat is meh. The graphics are relatively ok but the optimization is horrible. Even with a kick ass gaming comp, it is going to be clunky for you. The UI is invasive, but at least you have the option to turn it off. Sadly this game is a perfect example of what is wrong with the game industry nowadays. Even the critics push games for the dollar sign. The metascore for this game is an 81 and the user score is 4.2 Really goes to show you. The solution to the problem is this: Don't buy anymore of these games, and don't buy this one. This company is no longer focused on making excellent games, this company is focused on making more money, and form a game designers standpoint, there is not a whole lot that was done to the game. Certainly not enough to take as long as it did to come out. EA and CA can officially suck it from here on out.... Expand
  76. Sep 8, 2013
    One season.
    NO ITALIAN LANGUAGE.
    50 euros wasted! ridiculous
  77. Sep 10, 2013
    This game is expect the series to get better with sequels from Shogun and not worst! The AI is horrible,the script for the characters is abysmal.Much less there are deformed faces on the characters,and whatever you saw in the trailer,is NOT THERE. The graphics is horrendous,its like a 2005 PC game,also there is major desync problems. Whatever you saw on youtube about people saying theThis game is expect the series to get better with sequels from Shogun and not worst! The AI is horrible,the script for the characters is abysmal.Much less there are deformed faces on the characters,and whatever you saw in the trailer,is NOT THERE. The graphics is horrendous,its like a 2005 PC game,also there is major desync problems. Whatever you saw on youtube about people saying the game is awesome,is a LIE by the company probably paying reviewers to smack a high rating in turn for cash.DO NOT SPEND 50 BUCKS ON THIS GAME. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED Expand
  78. Sep 11, 2013
    In its current state this game is a pile of junk, don't waste your money unless you are lucky enough to have a system that can run it (apparently only 2% are affected by the performance issues-ya right CA) that aside it's taken content out like no guard button, no family trees.

What the hell, a lot of waiting and a lot of hype for a pile of crap
  79. Sep 11, 2013
    Close game in a rage, after first water battle.
    But i am big fan of medieval total war...so sad.
    Ground battle too casual, very slow, any fun...
    I am upset.
  80. Sep 14, 2013
    This is a game in the same meaning a car is a car with a very good looking chassis, but nothing in it.
    This game is a product of marketing and profit making.
    Maybe in a year, this will be a finished product and worth buying, but as of this time, buy Total War Rome 1, a game that came out in 2004 and still have better gameplay, immersion and strategy. I have a hard time rating this
    This game is a product of marketing and profit making.

I have a hard time rating this "product" because it feels like the same way it would feel rating a film sitting in the editing room watching the first rough cut, without sound, cgi and music.

Absolute garbage!
  81. Sep 24, 2013
    It is really hard to be objective with this release considering I have played since the first medieval came out, and I have many many hours in Rome 1. With that said, this is the most disappointing game I have ever purchased in my gaming history. Not just because it didn't live up to the hype, it was simply bad. And there are many features that have been taken away from the other gamesIt is really hard to be objective with this release considering I have played since the first medieval came out, and I have many many hours in Rome 1. With that said, this is the most disappointing game I have ever purchased in my gaming history. Not just because it didn't live up to the hype, it was simply bad. And there are many features that have been taken away from the other games which were good, and instead have been replaced by gimmicky crap. Balancing in this game is the worst I have ever seen in a total war game as far as units go. Bugs, horrendous graphics on high end computers. Passive AI and dull battles. I could go on... but at this point it is useless. Just look at the score I have given and that should be enough to go on from here. Expand
  82. Sep 16, 2013
    This game looked to be a new era in the Creative Assembly's star studded history. The pre-release hype, coupled with the amazing screen shots, and stunning CGI footage certainly seemed to reinforce this belief.
    Then the game was released. Not only did the single player campaign have bugs, but it had bugs that rendered the game nearly unplayable (minutes of wait time between turns, massive frame rate issues, and more). The game's AI is equally crippled. The enemy will hardly ever build a large army, and even when it does the army is comprised entirely of early game units, even 100's of turns into the game. The major factions, Carthage, Sparta, Egypt, Rome, Macedon, are all swallowed up by smaller factions because of the ignorance and idiocy of the game's AI.
    Battles rarely present a challenge, and this reflects poorly on the Creative Assembly.
    All in all, this game is a bust. Hardly worth your time, and you should only pick it up out of the bargain bin.
  83. Oct 7, 2013
    After hundreds of hours playing the wonderful Shogun 2, this was my bigger expectation this year.

And became the deception of the year.

After 3 updates, I still barely can play it. No crossfire support, horrible textures, bad optimisation, AI ridiculous.

I will forget this game and now returning to Shogun 2.
  84. Nov 10, 2013
    I'm giving this game zero because I think anyone would be disappointed playing it. This is especially true due to how the game was portrayed by its creators vs. how it actually plays on your computer.

The biggest drawback is that its graphic engine is highly inefficient and runs badly at low settings while looking bad.
  85. Oct 3, 2013
    This game is so insulting. I cannot believe that I spent $34 on this, luckily getting it on sale. Seriously, one of the worst financial decisions of my life. I was broke, but loved the first RTW and hadn't played much from CA since then, so I went ahead and bought it. The game is just broken. Technical glitches are not even half of the problem. The AI is so unbelievably terrible, there isThis game is so insulting. I cannot believe that I spent $34 on this, luckily getting it on sale. Seriously, one of the worst financial decisions of my life. I was broke, but loved the first RTW and hadn't played much from CA since then, so I went ahead and bought it. The game is just broken. Technical glitches are not even half of the problem. The AI is so unbelievably terrible, there is no challenge, etc. I'm done with this piece of trash. Expand
  86. Sep 24, 2013
    This is sadly the worst game in the series.
    The unit cards are confusing.
    no family tree
    no skill tree
    Horrible release, too many performance and optimization bugs, greatest disappointment of the year.
  87. Sep 25, 2013
    Creative Assembly it up. If you are interested in this game you must know that you are paying a full priced game for a beta version with mant different and exotic bugs.

The IA is one of the most stupid ones I have seen, failing in so many different things that its predecesors could do properly. I have no word. As an example I will write about the siege battles. In Medieval 2 Total War the IA could use siege engines properly while in Rome II the army just smashes into the door in a huge moshpit.

If you are reading this, don't bother to buy the game right now, wait a few months when hopefully the patches will have fixed the game.
  88. Sep 25, 2013
    I feel deceived by CA's marketing. What was meant to be the greatest TW game to date is nothing more than a beta version of something big. They're frantically trying to patch this up, to no avail. The AI's passive, the optimisation is lame, only modders are trying to save this game. I just wonder how could the reviewers give the game around 80%. It's not that it's bad it couldn't ever beI feel deceived by CA's marketing. What was meant to be the greatest TW game to date is nothing more than a beta version of something big. They're frantically trying to patch this up, to no avail. The AI's passive, the optimisation is lame, only modders are trying to save this game. I just wonder how could the reviewers give the game around 80%. It's not that it's bad it couldn't ever be good because it's unfinished. Expand
  89. Sep 25, 2013
    OMG.... Big, Big Total War fan.....

This game lacks Depth Lacks Strategy Lacks the feel of a Total War Franchise as they threw away the core of the game to make it more arcady. I like the region management and the graphics but that's as far as i go. The Campaigns are Boring, the diplomacy and 'in-house turmoil' doesn't effect the game or even matter. False Advertising and the fact
    OMG.... Big, Big Total War fan.....

This game lacks Depth
    Lacks Strategy

False Advertising and the fact that i spent 60 Euros on a Beta version of the game CA can wave goodbye to this customer... even though i'm sure it has attracted the new group of fanboys along the way. This is my last ever buy of TW or CA games....

At least when sim city had difficulties they actually gave money vouchers to buy a new game as an apology here CA said this is what is to be expected from now on "oh yeah and sorry for not warning you this was out strategy"
  90. Sep 25, 2013
    without talking about bad otpimisation, this game is not a good strategy game. Just for 1 reason, there is no IA, just few orders repeated in every situation. So no AI, no strategy, no game. Actually total war rome 2 is just a bugged graphical benchmark.
  91. Sep 25, 2013
    Rome II is missing many of the features that have made the previous Total War titles immersive strategy games. The game was released with a slew of minor bugs that should have easily identified and addressed in basic Beta testing. Really looks like CA forewent Beta testing to sell preorders and then have purchasers Beta test so they can work out bugs before christmas holiday sales.
  92. Sep 28, 2013
    1 for the try. Almost everything in this game is a failure. Original RTW is still playable, and this remake is unplayable after 2 campaigns for different countries. Perhaps because they are not different. It's just an illusion. Gameplay is totally screwed.
    And AI is just ubelievably stupid. Even newbie can win the siege in offence against high difficulty AI with double time lesser army.
    Those flags are just ridiculous.
    There are a lot of other fails in that game.

And I'm not talking about all those bugs, that this game is filled.
  93. Sep 28, 2013
    Sega And CA released this game too early. It shows it is a mess and the A.I. is dreadful. Whats worse though is all the blatant lies CA shoved down our throats, this will be the last CA game i will ever buy.
  94. Sep 29, 2013
    Do not buy this game!

This game is in shambles. A complete piece of garbage with no redeeming factors at all.

This is not a total war game. It feels like i am beta testing this broken, half put together mess.
  95. Sep 29, 2013
    This game gets a 0 out of 10 for being the most shallow, and uninspiring release in the total war series. It's a dumbed down arcade version of Napoleon and Shogun 2 with little immersion, and dozens of features cut out and replaced with gimmicky stuff like magic unit abilities that you must repeatedly click in order to win battles (as opposed to understanding your troops, the terrain, andThis game gets a 0 out of 10 for being the most shallow, and uninspiring release in the total war series. It's a dumbed down arcade version of Napoleon and Shogun 2 with little immersion, and dozens of features cut out and replaced with gimmicky stuff like magic unit abilities that you must repeatedly click in order to win battles (as opposed to understanding your troops, the terrain, and formations), glowing shiny effects all over the place, "streamlined" stupid Ipad OS looking User Interface where you can barely even see nevertheless read about the units and buildings and technologies you're getting, and a map that is basically a giant maze of pathways as opposed to an open world sandbox.

Combine this with the fact that the AI is so inept and broken that legendary difficulty can't even offer a challenge, and you've got a game that falls well below the Total War Standard due to cut features and rushed/careless production.

We should have seen this coming, since studio direct Tim Heaton bragged in 2012 about designing games specifically in order to get a high metacritic score and cutting features that they decided wouldn't contribute to that. For this reason this game gets a 0 from me, and hopefully that dude either gets his head screwed on straight or gets canned and replaced by a director that makes games for the players and longtime fans, not reviewers who will sit down with it for 10-20 hours and then never touch it again.
  96. Oct 7, 2013
    Purchased this game on the 23rd of September and still having major issues with the game. 4 patches in and I feel like Creative ASSemblies should be paying me for beta testing for them and reporting bug after bug.

I CONTACTED STEAM FOR A REFUND. HIGHLY ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO DO THE SAME.
  97. Nov 2, 2013
    How on Earth did some people provide a score of near 100 when it is obvious this game was not ready to be shipped to us? I am sorry CA you just killed one of your long standing customer here.
  98. Nov 7, 2013
    It won't even let me play it all it does is just crash it's a pice of that's what it is shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt let me reframe that it is major shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit what the sega
  99. Nov 17, 2013
    I REALLY wanted to like this game. The trailers made it look exciting and action packed, but a lot of the game mechanics seem wrong or broken. Most of the factions seem to play the exact same, and the game focuses more on simply smashing your troops head long into those of the enemy, as opposed to previous games focusing on flanking and positioning. Overall, while I wanted this game to beI REALLY wanted to like this game. The trailers made it look exciting and action packed, but a lot of the game mechanics seem wrong or broken. Most of the factions seem to play the exact same, and the game focuses more on simply smashing your troops head long into those of the enemy, as opposed to previous games focusing on flanking and positioning. Overall, while I wanted this game to be great, it landed somewhere in the "meh" range. Not worth the $45. Would buy again for $10. Expand
  100. Dec 2, 2013
    I can't give this game any more than a 1. Why is that?

Yes, it's got great battles! Yes, it's got great civilization development. Yes, it looks great, yadda yadda yadda... all the things I'd hoped and dreamed for. But all of this is completely and utterly pointless in light of the fact that there are game-breaking bugs everywhere. No, not some places, *EVERYWHERE*. There's the bug
    I can't give this game any more than a 1. Why is that?

Yes, it's got great battles!
    Yes, it's got great civilization development.

But all of this is completely and utterly pointless in light of the fact that there are game-breaking bugs everywhere. No, not some places, *EVERYWHERE*. There's the bug that causes you no longer to be able to control the campaign map, the bug that causes AI to freeze on their turns, preventing you from progressing, the bug that causes FPS to drop to LESS THAN ONE (even on a high-end gaming setup like mine!) if it simply loads the right weather combination, the bug that desyncs multiplayer battles so two players see completely different things happening at once, the bug that desyncs entire CAMPAIGNS so co-op players see ENTIRELY different turns being taken each round... and more!

The number of bugs is just OUT of CONTROL. And this is only what I've experienced myself in my literal two days of having had this game other people have many other problems. And it has been out for 3 months now. 3 months of patch time is still not enough to fix this broken and burning shambles that was pushed out the door eons before it was ready. I cannot progress and regret ever buying this broken software.

Please do not make the mistake I did. Please stay away from this game.

1. Nov 18, 2013
    The game is far less polished than Shogun 2, and a few more patches will help, but Rome II is still a flawed game that is underwhelming when compared to previous titles in the franchise.
  2. Nov 6, 2013
    And here’s the rub: every addition, every sub-system, every mechanic is subservient to War. War is what Total War is really about. Everything else not directly related to conflict comes across as ancillary. Rome II is a game for warmongers, on both the campaign map and, obviously, on the battlefield. When peace is happening, nothing is happening. When war is happening, Rome comes alive.
  3. Oct 28, 2013
    If you will play literally anything featuring Total War and Rome in the same title and don't value your time, this is for you. [Nov 2013, p.80]