• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Sep 3, 2013
4.0

1. Sep 11, 2013
    Unplayable trash at launch, even after the first patch it suffers from allot of bugs and really bad frame-rate issues. The final product does not compare to the footage we where given in a "Alpha state" which was MUCH better.

I own a monster machine with x2 ATI radeon 6970 and Im running this on below 30 FPS on average
  2. Sep 11, 2013
    Why a "0". -This is not a complete game, its nothing like the lead up made it out to be. -AI is completely broken therefore there is no single player experience. What's a game without a challenge, I mean why even bother. -Multi-player started de-syncing as early as turn 3 for a friend and I or freezing during battle. -Tutorial completely leaves out how family/senate works -Shogun 2 was better and that's an earlier game
    -Game is in Beta condition basically, don't even know why they bother releasing complete games anymore, probably because they can get away with it. My list for pre-ordering games of publishers is becoming less and less.
    Recommend saving your cash for a steam sale hopefully there will be additions and fixes that make the game playable by then.
  3. Sep 11, 2013
    Close game in a rage, after first water battle.
    But i am big fan of medieval total war...so sad.
    Ground battle too casual, very slow, any fun...
    I am upset.
  4. Sep 11, 2013
    Let me start by saying I am a long time TW fan. I have been playing them from the very start of the franchise, and have had fun with every title to one degree or another. You could always see the march forwards, the new features, the reworked Core of the games, the improved graphics. Always going one step forward. Untill now...

For starters, its a broken mess. The AI (always a bone of
    contention in the series) is the worst Ive ever seen at launch. The campaign AI is passive to the extreme, and when they do attack is only at near suicidal odds. The Battle AI is just broke, often standing still, running in circles, pacing back and forth, running straight through your forces, refusing to obey commands. Naval battles are so broken their useless, you almost have to auto-resolve them to get a victory. The graphics are a mess, and nothing compared to the "pre-alpha" footage show. Models are in places clearly low quality stand-ins never meant to be in the full release, textures are often of a similar quality, stand-ins to take a place in the development untill the real ones could be completed. All these things can be fixed with patchs though, so it is simply a waiting game.

The following are what really drive the game down, and are not the sort of thing that will be patched out. Many, MANY wonderful features from other TW titles are gone. Family trees, varied agents, seasons, attrition, politics (in any working, or sensible fashion), formations, guard mode, character development (some would call it RPG elements), and much more are gone. In their place we have a poor UI, "magic" abilities that ALL units get to improve themselfs, useless, faceless characters that I find it hard to care in the least about, 1 year turns (which means everyone dies of old age very fast, there are no seasons, and it takes armies literally years to march to locations that would of been achieved in weeks in antiquity).

Battles end in minutes. Armies tens of thousands men strong can and are destroyed in 3-5 minutes, leaving no time for any sort of tactics. Units dissolve into mosh pits as soon as battle is join, making battles not between diciplined armies, but masses of mobs pushing into eachother. The mass, and the speed of the battles means that all the wonderful MoCap fights are impossible to see. They threw in random "capture points" in open field battles, making all terrain, forests, or unit disposition useless and tactics pointless. Stand on flag for 30 seconds, win.

I could go on and on about all the things I dislike about this title, but it can be summed up like this. This game was obviously streamlined to make it appeal more to the masses, and less to the Total War Old Guard. The entire game is fast, easy, boring, and frankly ugly in its current state. A massive slap in the face to my childhood with the series.
  5. Sep 12, 2013
    Besides thats an unfinished beta with an horrible desing and poor performance: Its not even translated to spanish!

Enjoy roman legionaries speaking like john wayne...
  6. Sep 12, 2013
    First let me say this, it pains me so much to give this game such a low score. I have played every game in the series except the original, Shogun. I have put in more than 700 hours into this series, and the Roman era is my favorite in history. Unfortunately, this game fails in almost every regard to live up to its predecessor Total War: Rome as well as the previous game Total War: Shogun 2.

Due to Creative Assembly's lack of a beta the coding in the game is horrific and causes MASSIVE lag even for people who have multi thousand dollar computers. Not everyone is affected, but most are. Here are some of the issues that plague this game.

End Turn times -

There are more than 100 factions that have to make their turn, which cause you to wait sometimes up to 6-7 minutes every time you end your turn which is extremely frustrating as the game is mean to play over the span of 300 years (or turns). The goods news, if you have a Excellent processor these speeds can be brought down to about a minute. I have compiled a lot of information from forums and the *general* consensus is that people with i5 and i7 processors generally take less than two minutes for a end turn (some as low as 40 seconds) while everyone else takes a back seat to about 3-4 minutes on average and some unlucky people 6-7 (especially after unveiling the map).

Bugs and Glitches -

There are a lot of bugs and glitches. To name a few, Ship battles are pretty much unplayable by most people which is a shame because they are beautiful. There is also a bug that allows units to burn down gates during sieges exceptionally easy by throwing torches at them, even metal gates, making the use for siege units virtually useless. To be fair, Creative Assembly probably did this on purpose due to the horrible A.I. not using siege units anyways so they needed a way for them to get into cities during siege battles.

Also, there is a bug (that from I can gather plagues the Romans, which I played for 30 hours) that causes all of your generals to go insane. Literally. For me it almost always starts out with a trait called "Not quite right" which takes away 2 Authority and then after 4-5 turns their trait slots are maxed out with negative Authority traits. This makes the Roman faction pretty much unplayable for me. It doesn't just happen once, it will constantly plague your generals randomly (for me usually ,but not always, 1-2 turns after creating a general).

Loss of Features -

For some reason Creative Assembly decided to take away some beloved features. For instance, there is no more guard mode. If you don't know what that is I will explain it. Do you know how in movies armies march in formation? It looks beautiful and is truly epic. In Total War: Rome I they did this. And when a army clashed into yours it was amazing as they held their line. Well, some beyond comprehensible stupid person removed that from this game. When a army attacks you your units do not stay in formation, the battle simply becomes a mosh pit.

There is also no Family tree and the tech tree has been dumbed down severely.

Addition of features -

Most additions are stupid in this game. There is flag sometimes placed in open battles that you must defend, you could have 7,000 troops and the enemy has 300 and if they capture the flag on the field they win. Also, in town battles, sometimes the A.I. will ignore your forces, run through them and try to grab the flag constantly being slaughter all the way there.

Also, battles last for 3-5 minutes due to moral inbalance issues and the running/walking speed is extremely quick, making Archers useless. Some features are good, such as the Regional hub for provinces, but most are a step backwards.

A.I. is so so so horrible -

And finally last but not least. I can't mention everything wrong but this is a must. The A.I. is so stupid. *Most* games they will never declare war on you. They simply wait to be slaughtered. Then, in battles they have no idea how to coordinate an attack making battles way to easy. And they never create good armies. Almost always they will have a army comprised of 70% range units which is extremely annoying.

I won't go into how stupid this games A.I. is, there is youtube for that and it is hilarious. Look Up AngryJoeShow A.I. fails. All I will say, is that I could forgive everything else until patches came except the beyond belief stupidity of the A.I.

They should have just copied and pasted Shogun II's A.I. instead of redoing it.

Final Verdict -

I wanted this game to be epic. I wanted to love it. But this was a scam if I have ever seen one. More than likely it is Sega's fault. They have a track record of publishing horrific games. They want money and that is it. Some people play this game and overlook the flaws, but I am not blind. This game had no business being release, and maybe they will patch it, but I don't plan on holding my breathe.
  7. R80
    Sep 13, 2013
    I played all main Total War titles and some, though not all expansions. And I expected this game to be if not better, than at least equal to the previous Total War games. I was wrong. This game is Rome: TOTAL FAILURE. I don't even know how to start writing about what's wrong with this game, because I the truth is: almost EVERYTHING. - the AI is horrible- not just stupid, but actually malfunctioning. Armies sometimes stand motionlessly under missile fire, untill they get routed due to casualties.

- the UI and graphics feel heavy and unpleasant simply looking at them feels bad somehow

- framerate is strangely low, compared to the framerate on the same computer for shogun 2. But the graphics do not look better, they actually look worse.

- overall, this game simply lack PLAYABILITY. I mean the factor that made previous Total War games pleasurable to play. Rome Total War 2 doesn't have it "playing it feels like a job, like a burden.
  8. Sep 14, 2013
    This is a game in the same meaning a car is a car with a very good looking chassis, but nothing in it.
    This game is a product of marketing and profit making.
    Maybe in a year, this will be a finished product and worth buying, but as of this time, buy Total War Rome 1, a game that came out in 2004 and still have better gameplay, immersion and strategy.

I have a hard time rating this
    "product" because it feels like the same way it would feel rating a film sitting in the editing room watching the first rough cut, without sound, cgi and music.

Absolute garbage!
  9. Sep 18, 2013
    As a massive fan of TW games I can honestly say this is the worst one by far. The UI is counter-intuitive, looks and feels sluggish and horrible. Much of the options and technical depth has been stripped away in favor of the more casual and/or brain dead gamer. Accessing important information involves you clicking on a bunch of crappy looking icons that all look the same, only to find out there is no information there anyway.

The graphics, mainly on the campaign map, look muddy and with little detail where its needed and lots of detail where it's not. The cities look like they're made out of Play-doh both in battle and on the campaign map. Even on the highest settings troops blur into each other like someone stuck 3,000 men with swords into a blender.

Performance is bad, and the game is not optimized well at all, the load times are long, And it often lags out for no apparent reason.

The whole game over emphasizes on just the Romans,factions and troops all look and sound the same as the Romans, as well as sharing the same painful UI. The forced Flag system is just silly and a major annoyance. There are also hardly any open battles, it all just revolves around siege battles that all look and feel the same.

The AI is incredibly dumb, predictable and glitchy, both in battle and on the campaign map. Also you have to set the game to maximum difficulty to get any real challenge, even then it doesn't make the AI smarter, it just changes unit stats in favor of the AI.

It's a mass-marketed console orientated, dumbed-down, over-priced, half-finished mess, And whats more they release this game with a pre-release DLC which gives you (core) factions that should have already been included in the base game.
  10. Nov 24, 2013
    I'm updating my previous rating.

After 7 patches in about 11 weeks and 357 hours of play-time, I think I have been patient and understanding.

Rome 2 is still *basically* garbage in a single player campaign (I'm referring to the mechanics, not the pretty map), multiplayer is such a HUGE step backwards from Shogun2. (I have played competitively in multiplayer tournaments since Empire,
    so I feel that I can judge this about 60% of my game time has been multiplayer).

I am actually going to the extreme of deleting this game. I will now have Rome 1, Shogun 1, Medieval, Empire, Napoleon, Shogun 2 on my pc. Rome 2 is off.

I have also decided *not* to risk buying their brand new Total War Arena... Fool me once. I suggest you consider the same.
  11. Jan 19, 2014
    Even after patch 8.1 this game is incredibly bad. The A.I has yet to be fixed. The game offers no challenge what so ever. It is plain and boring. This game is lost. DO NOT BUY!
  12. Dec 9, 2013
    I love Total War games; they have a great play style and can be tons of fun with friends, however this game is unacceptable. After waiting moths for Rome 2 to be released I was instantly disappointed with its terrible optimization, but i was willing to over look this as it was what seemed like a typical Creative Assembly release.

Now months after the release and with 80+ hours played,
    I am still dealing with game breaking bugs, and downright terrible AI. Coupled with the loss of features and content coming from Shogun 2, I am fed up with this game. Sure it can be fun and the game is a step in the right direction, but it is difficult to get into a game when every 10 turns or so you are forced to start a new campaign due to some new game break.

I did not expect this of a game after paying $60 for a pre-order. This should have never been released at such low quality. Is it too much to ask for a game to at least equal its predecessor in features? I'm not even asking for innovation.
  13. Dec 13, 2013
    It pains me to give Rome II a bad review because the core elements of the game are actually pretty good. The graphics are great, even on my video card, and the battle AI (except in sieges) is pretty good, and probably better than in previous games. However, the smaller problems of Rome II are too many to enumerate, and I'll have to content myself with describing a few of the most egregious.
    Crappy Campaign AI: To my mind, a Total War game has three phases: Phase I; the player uses his small starting army and province (s) to carve out a more substantial empire out of his weaker neighbors. Phase 2; the player uses his small empire in brutal wars against empires of roughly the same size that genuinely pose an existential threat. Phase 3; the players empire becomes so large that no other faction on the map can challenge him, and he rotely conquers enough territory to satisfy the victory requirements. Obviously Phase 2 is the most interesting part of the game, but it never happened in my first Rome II campaign. The AI could never get its together enough to form any decent sized empire, and I simply conquered states of one or two settlements until I became too powerful for the game to be interesting. Which transitions into

The Campaign is too long For whatever reason, Creative Assembly decided to balance the campaign around being 300 turns, which have taken me in the neighborhood of 100 gameplay hours to complete. That is unacceptable. The 35 plus hours for the 100 turn short campaign in Empire was bad enough. The requirement of 110 settlements for a military victory is absolutely ludicrous; In my campaign as the British Confederation I was the undisputed master of the map by settlement 20 or so, and the 70 plus hours and 90 settlements it took to get from there to the victory condition was mere tedium.

The campaign clock doesn't fast forward fast enough: The ability to fast forward the battle clock has one primary purpose: to make the time go faster when the game glitches out and your opponent either refuses to attack you in a defensive battle or you route the enemy army but the game doesn't notice (both of which happen far too often) and you have to run out the clock or concede defeat for a battle that you have won. The slow fast clock means that either of these situations can result in upwards of 45 minutes of down time to watch your army stand there waiting for the game to acknowledge their victory.

The civil war mechanic makes no sense: The entire game I assumed that the intra-faction groups (for the British Confederation, Elder Chiefs and Other Chiefs) was important for the civil war mechanic, since that faction allegiance tab shows up every time you pick a general and the game acts as if having guys loyal to your faction is important when the other faction tries to adopt them. I assumed that all generals loyal to the Other Chiefs would join the rebellion or something. Instead, all that happened was, at the height of my military might, with some 80 settlements under my control and 12 full-sized armies, a single province changed color and sent out a few small armies to harass me. If that's all the civil war mechanic does, what the hell is the point? Why have all of the crazy faction tab stuff?

Enemy's turns take too long: Since the map has 50 gazillion factions (as in Empire), and the game takes its sweet time pondering what to do for every single faction, every time you press that "end turn" button, you are looking at fifteen minutes of downtime. There has to be a way to streamline that.

Normally, I would consider that all of this stuff is fixable and would hopefully be working better in a couple of patches (three of which have dropped since I started the campaign, which took the better part of two months). But the last straw for me was Creative Assembly starting to shill their Caesar in Gaul DLC. YOU, Creative Assembly. Fix your broken game I payed 60 bucks for before you start trying to gouge me for more content. What assurance do I have that the new content is any more polished than the content I already have? My advice to any Total War fans is to just play the original Rome: Total War. Its better in every way than this new mess.
  14. Feb 17, 2014
    Well I, like many, formerly gave this one a good review at first. But after 90+ hours of gameplay, I cannot stand this game anymore. Initially, even before patches, I enjoyed the game. Any quarrels I had could be easily remedied with the Radious mod. But after putting one and half campaigns' worth of time into it, its lack of depth has truly killed it for me. I'm not going to rip on unit cards or the UI. I actually think those are fine. What I will say is that this Total War requires far less brain function than previous installments, as if it was streamlined and dumbed down to appeal to a wider audience. Gone is the family tree, which sadly rid the game of both its personal touch and its risk. My general fell in battle? That's okay, there are three more just as good waiting to be instated. It's not like we have to worry about faction leaders or heirs anyways. Control over resources is now an afterthought. There are no trade posts to acquire monopolies as in Empire and they don't aid in construction as in Shogun 2. They're just trade goods, on the off chance that the AI will actually accept trade with you. There was a great chance for trade posts in the form of the Silk Road, but I guess CA had other interests in mind. Instant transports mean that you no longer have to wait years, amassing forces and planning an over seas invasion. You just swim over now, which really takes away one of Total War's rewarding and accomplishing feelings (or brutal and dismal defeat). This also makes no sense, but I suppose we had to suspend disbelief when we accepted "Imperium" as a model for how many troops we could raise, instead of just simply being able to afford them population and money-wise like in previous installments. Not only is "Imperium" probably the dumbest thing that has happened in the series' history, but it also makes the game the most annoying thing to manage in the late game. This isn't strategic depth, this is CA saying "we're gonna dumb down the game and then give you the finger while we're at it." Because of this I can no longer maintain public order as I please and can hardly protect my border settlements. In addition, "Imperium" has allowed the AI, down to its last city, to simply spam stacks around a poor village, preventing my one or two stacks, that should have been sufficient, from actually wiping them off the map.

3/10 for better graphics and not completely tearing down the franchise's gameplay.
  15. Oct 5, 2013
    A gutted and souless excuse of a Total War game. It's pretty, and introduces a couple interesting mechanics, but that's where it ends. A mountain of well loved and/or classic Total War features have been inexplicably amputated from this gimpy game. Family trees, seasons, loose formation, agent cutscenes, epic general speeches, all of these and more are gone.
    Despite boasting a huge unit
    count, the units feel bland, and therefore so do the factions. 200 reskinned units of spearmen with identical stats do not an interesting unit roster make. Combat feels arcadey; battles are over in a couple minutes, with units flying across the battle field while making liberal use of magical cooldown-based abilities click, click, click click. It feels more like Dance Dance Revolution than Total War.
    The AI is terrible, but will likely be patched. But what of all the other things that are wrong with the game? Time will not fix their horrible design decisions, and AI tweaks won't bring back all the gutted content. Don't waste your money on this game. If you want CA to make a good TW game, they have to know when they've made a mistake.
  16. Sep 14, 2013
    I had high hopes for this game considering how finished product Shogun 2 was. Sadly same problems that plagued Empire:total war are in this game too. Seems like they just copied same engine from Empire:total war. Game has same kind of fps problems in late game, large battles. It becomes dia show and haven't got anything to do with graphics options. Game is poorly optimized and terribly slow paced because waiting for all AI turns in game (turning of show AI movement won't help anyway). Considering that they are atm beta testing patch it seems rushed product. Expand
  17. Dec 11, 2013
    After 2 hours of playing i returned this game. poor graphics, dumbed down, no decent economy/management, horrible AI, crazy system requirements. this is an abomination compared to the original
  18. Sep 14, 2013
    Well Rome II will need some heavy patching if not mods to make it playable for me. This game will need another year people, so give it some time and save your money, for now, you aren't really missing anything.
  19. Sep 4, 2013
    Loving this game! Don't understand where all the hate is coming from. Running this game on full HD medium settings with around 30-35 average FPS on a Dell XPS 17 that only has a Nvidia 555m GPU to boot. Can't get more fair than that, especially for such a graphically demanding game. Everyone with technical issues need to stop throwing tantrums and patiently wait for a patch that will fix most of your problems no doubt. Expand
  20. Sep 6, 2013
    Core 2 Duo E7500@2.93 GHZ, 3 GB RAM, ATI HD RADEON 6570 GDDR5. Good enough to run the game on high settings at 1366*768 as mentioned in official pc requirements. Tried latest drivers both non beta and beta.
    Well I received quite a shock when I tried all my might and couldn't get the fps to rise above 10-11 fps even on the lowest settings. Seeing that people with much better rigs are
    having same problem so the least I can say about it is its unplayable and a terribly optimized game. Waste of time and money for me. Waiting for the proper patches to be released which could take a few weeks. Though they released one patch today but it didn't work. Still waiting for a solution and hoping they sort it out.
    Right now its unplayable. If you haven't bought it yet, don't buy it right now. Wait for xmas when it has been optimized and its price reduced. Dunno how they get away with it.
  21. Sep 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Expand
  22. Sep 4, 2013
    I have every TW game and this is the WORST Total War ever! Run away from this! I can't believe I spent my money with it! I was so full of hopes, so ansious about this game, watching every tube video, every preview... It's one major disappointment...
    The game it`s a huge faillure, technically and on it`s concepts... I can't understand why CA changed the UI so much (they just destroyed
    it!)... So many bug's, stupid AI, no cut scene videos at all, poor animations, it`s a mess!
    I would like to give it back and get my money back!
    Back to Shogun2 Total War...
  23. Sep 4, 2013
    Disappointed, just disappointed! Confusing interface, graphics embarrassing. This game is full of bugs, slow and does not exceed 10 fps even at low resolution. Misleading advertising with full audio support for the Italian language that does not exist! Total failure.
  24. Sep 16, 2013
    AI ability is the heart & guts of a RTS game, on this occasion CA promised great things and failed to deliver even the most basic elements. Thankfully I was able to get an exchange on the game. Software failures happen, what doesn't make sense however is CA pretending in their community campaign that the AI was anyway worthwhile.
  25. Sep 4, 2013
    If you haven't bought the game yet, I recommend holding off until the worst bugs and AI have been fixed. I would wait at least 2-3 months before the game becomes truly playable.
  26. Sep 4, 2013
    One of the biggest fails in gaming industry this year. I preordered this game and was hoping to enjoy it. However, this game doens't play as good as Medieval and Shogun. CA removed many things such as city management and family tree. I loved these features and now the are gone. Interface looks not so good indeed. I will continue to play because I paid money, but I really dislike this game,
  27. Sep 4, 2013
    Simply frustrating to have paid $79.95 USD, which ended up being closer to $90.00 AUD! For a product that had made a lot of promises but did NOT deliver on most of them, feels like a beta.
    Performance optimisation is a joke.
    Battlefield Siege AI is seldom smarter than playing against a 6 year old.
    Campaign map UI is sloppy and counter productive for mouse input.
    Texture quality is sub
    par even on maximum setting. General graphical fidelity is WAY below what was shown.
    ABOVE ALL.. the game crashes on most people systems, broken product essentially.
    Thanks for charging me almost $100 to be a beta tester CA!
  28. Sep 4, 2013
    A long-time fan of the Total War series, I am seriously disappointed in the release of Rome Total War II. It is almost as if it was never play-tested. The battles, the game map, the water: all beautifully designed, but the game itself...

It takes a full minute or more to cycle through all of the ai turns, and on multiplayer campaigns, this goes up to ~5 minutes for some unknown
    reason. Waiting for the AI to finish all its movements is excruciatingly boring. This time can be spent reading the encyclopedia for Rome Total War II, which is built into the game, if you like woefully inadequate and unhelpful explanations of the various inner workings of the game.

There is a godawful happiness/food dynamic that you try to build up in your cities; the fully upgraded food source for your region, though it is worth 12 food, generates 12 unhappiness. Unhappiness and food is shared over an entire province(if you have captured all the towns in said province) leading to a frustrating rush to capture all of the cities/towns in an arbitrary grouping that may or may not have any bearing on history.

There is a limit of 3 armies until you get 15 provinces, which makes it near impossible to hold all of the towns you have captured since the garrisoned units amount to nothing. Turns out you can't attack a city with a land army if another player's navy is blockading it's harbor too.

The interface itself, at first glance, appears dumbed down, but then you realize that they've hidden so much information in tooltips that could easily be displayed on the screen with no negative impact.

CA clearly tried to overhaul system after system in Total War to produce this game. Why? We may never know, but the Total War that I love is currently a shell of what it once was. At least Civ V is still amazing, I'll go back to that turn-base strategy until CA figures out that their new incarnation of Total War is simply not fun to play.
  29. Sep 4, 2013
    Horrible, just horrible. In the short term there are the many well documented and game destroying technical issues (pretty sure CA must not have any testers on staff at all on this evidence). These will be resolved through patches etc in time, but it defies belief that they have repeated the mistakes of ETW all over again.

Of a greater concern is that CA have also dumbed down this game
    to such an extent that it no longer really resembles the great strategic game (at both the campaign level and the battlefield level) that I and many others fell in love with more than a decade ago. It is hard to see how these seemingly deliberate and intentional design choices (some might say flaws) can be resolved through a patch.

As sad as it it I would conclude that Rome 2 sees the the Total War franchise terminally ill and only a concerted effort by CA can turn it around and redeem it in the eyes of their loyal fans.
  30. Sep 5, 2013
    This game shows best, how greed destroys potential. In it's current state the game is an early alpha. Many graphic cards are not supported, Creative Assembly gives an explanation that NVidia didnt yet provide new drivers what the hell? So why was this game published in the first place when they knew it will not work on most machines? This of course has created numerous graphic issues and glitches so half the preorder community cannot play which is unforgivable for a series this large.

Besides the graphics, the Ai is worst of all of the game series. No more charges with his general head on to your spearmen now he doesnt do anything. I played a few good hours and the Ai does nothing. Even in a siege situation he positioned his archers on walls yes but kept giving them move orders and such so hey cannot fire... On top of that the campaign Ai is even worse every turn an army with a win chance 1% keeps attacking, and after its defeat it attacks AGAIN. It's like he wants to die.

Considering that someone was lucky and ran the game, and he doesnt mind the Ai, the game is ok. It's a generally good game, but the Ai, graphics, unintuitive UI and silly bugs destroy it into oblivion. If not the fact that its a Total War, it would be never bought and quickly forgotten.

But the worst offence of all is the company tactic Release an alpha and make people test it for us so we save money on game testers, and then patch ti into working shape. This way we make money quicker and finish it with less hassle." This is unacceptable. On a side note giving out a DLC on the FIRST DAY is a terrible cash jump, but announcing more payable DLC when the game doesnt work for half the community, is PR suicide.

Do not buy this game until christmas, it will be probably patched into shape then.
  31. Sep 7, 2013
    Disappointing stupid AI, horrible UI, disgusting and confusing unit cards, no optimalazion, lots of bugs this game is surely unfinished, propably also cut a lot to get money on new DLCs. It's a shame that CA published something like this and also kind of an insult.

Paid way too much to be a beta tester now.
  32. Sep 7, 2013
    Just started to play this game this morning and the first thing that came to mind was the graphics. I thought they must have been on low but no, they were set to very high and they looked terrible. Path finding is grim. AI is poor and the optimisation is rubbish. As a software developer it's hardly surprising such a bodge-it-and-scarper job was even released as this seems to be a trend in the dev world. Hopefully this game will be patched and the devs will listen to the fans complaints.

All in all a massive disappointment, I don't often pre order games and this is the final straw. Back to playing a finished game like Tomb Raider until patch number 15.
  33. tux
    Sep 7, 2013
    worst game in the Total War series. nothing alive and warm remains of the first part. wacky icons, no clips, unrealistic morality, bad management, and more more
  34. Sep 7, 2013
    There are too many problems right now for this game to be considered playable.
    - The AI is absolutely terrible, every battle they simply bunch up together in the middle of your army. The siege AI is broken entirely and they often don't even move.
    - Naval battles are terrible. Ships become unresponsive and ignore orders, the boarding/ramming mechanism is bugged and often decides to do the
    wrong thing.
    - Ships become stuck and continue to attempt to row forward (they cannot row backwards), units become stuck walking into trees.
    - Capture points in the middle of field battles eliminate a lot of tactics and make it impossible to win with an inferior force.
    - Game is so badly optimized it makes me wonder if they even tested it on more than one computer, nVidia have even stated that they can do little with a new driver release and that the problems come from the terrible optimization.
    - Removal of the family tree it's not the end of the world but it is missed by a lot of people and it makes me wonder why they bothered to take it out? It means I have no attachment to my generals and means I don't care when they die.
    - Politics system is a complete waste of time, no one I know who plays the game even bothers to check the politics screen.
    - End turn time is abysmal and on a coop campaign it is much worse and has stopped all my friends from playing them.
    - Unit cards are terrible and the building cards are even worse what is wrong with a simple picture of the unit, like in every other total war game?
    - The UI is terrible and needs some serious work.

If all they had done was take the first Rome and improve the graphics it would have been far better than what we have in Rome II. There are some good things about the game but they are overshadowed by everything that is wrong. It's possible that patches could save this game but it will be months and even then there is so much to be fixed I think it is doubtful.
  35. Sep 7, 2013
    It is simple, I pay full price for the game, the game crash everyturn and is not playable at all. A game that is not playable worth nothing 0 Whoever lucky enough to be able to play the game without crash, well lucky you, please rate it base on your own gaming experience. But in my case, my gaming experience is 0. I would forgive them if they release this as a Beta, I would forgive them if my machine/system do not fit their spec, I would forgive them if those bugs is isolated and only happens to me. But no, the game is not ready and clearly they have not properly tested it before release. This is bad management and CA is trashing their name. Expand
  36. Sep 7, 2013
    A sad day for all TW fans. CA had rough releases before, but this tops it all. Their questionable design decisions threaten the very core that was TW.
  37. Sep 7, 2013
    I don't normally submit reviews on games, however after awaiting this longly anticipated sequel to be released, I can't help but vent my frustration & disapointment to others. Rome 1 was surely one of CA's most fondly admired titles in the Total War series, therefore it was vital that more than ever CA stepped up & delivered a 2nd that we all craved for. Rome 2 however fails do to this, poor graphic performance & constant bugs equals a frustrating experience when you were promised (and expected) far far better. Shogun 2 is more than this ever will be & sadly the Total War series is in demise, like so many others.
    Typical Cash & Grab im afraid!
  38. Sep 7, 2013
    Rome 2 is an ok game, but does it make a worthy successor to the original Rome? No.

The original Rome was the most innovative total war yet, and Rome 2 was supposed to live up to that. But when it comes to the end, it turned out to be one facepalm after another. As repetitive as it sounds, this game desperately needs a huge patch. They released the first patch, but for me personally,
    it did more harm than good, as it degraded performance.

Issues that need addressing
    -A.I. (Both battle map and campaign) A.I. in campaign would attack a 15+stack army with a single unit. A.I. isn't as intelligent as I would have liked it to be.
    -U.I. is not the greatest it's a lot of menu then submenus.
    -Graphics need a huge overall (bad textures, horrendous faces, etc.)
    -Battle speed NEEDS to be slowed down. All my battles have been under 10 minutes (Usually averaging 6 minutes.) 2 of those minutes are spent walking to the battle, 3-4 mins for the entire battle.)
    -Naval battles are buggy!
    -Capture points make no logical sense in game. (needs to be removed)
    -A lot of features from the original rome have been removed. (assassination videos, family trees, unable to toggle use of pila on roman units)
    -Campaign end turn times are LONG

Overall, they released the game way too early. The game is 60-70% done in terms of content, and 30% done in terms of testing. What really grinds my gears is that before release, a lot of the community at TWC were addressing 60-70% of the current gameplay issues. Also, it would have been smart to release a beta to a variety of people with different systems, to have had a stronger release.
  39. Sep 7, 2013
    Wow, I can't believe I preordered this...
    This game fails on so many counts. The 5 year engine is poorly optimized and graphics look terrible. The basic TW gameplay is dumbed down for casual audience. UI looks bad and very confusing. Disappointment.
  40. Sep 7, 2013
    I could not even play thru the first campaign before feeling like I wasted my money. I have 2X 680 and SLI is not supported. The game really needs to be optimized. That aside my biggest gripe is that if you fail any part of the campaign you have to start all over. What a pain. Also the UI is NOT intuitive.
  41. Sep 9, 2013
    First off, I am a HUGE fan of the Total War franchise. The first Rome was my overall favorite game for several years when it came out. I cannot say the same for Rome 2.

Game is huge failure. I can't really think of anything good about this game, so I'll focus on the bad. Features that existed in previous games are gone. They removed family tree and made city management very simply.
    Units now have ridiculous magical abilities. Map look huge but empty. Graphics way to cartonish. UI is awful.

I am very disappointed.
  42. Sep 9, 2013
    Worst Total War release yet. How can you possibly give this a 81/100? The AI is completely retarded. Optimization is horrible. The only good things that have improved over previous Total War games in the combined naval and land battles, and even that is wrecked by the glitches that happen.
  43. Sep 9, 2013
    I'm pretty sure this game is unplayable, I don't understand how the critic reviews are so high, are they getting bribed or something??
    the game should be a pre-alpha.
  44. Sep 10, 2013
    AI is for me an absolute showstopper.

There is NO challenge for me in Mid/Lategame. AI is not able to handle the game.

Rome 2 official Reviewers should take more time testing a game. They should test not just the early steps because when the game go on the problems start poping up all over.
  45. Sep 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Quote:"Rome II is a testament to all that is great about PC gaming and should be a must buy for all its followers"

Thoughts:" NO THAT IS A FREAKIN LIE!!!"

I just cant understand what this game has done to all my hopes and expectations maybe it was hyped too much but still Rome 2 goes back 2 steps in the franchise where Shogun was 2 steps ahead.

I cannot believe the professional review score ..still it might be a good/ok game it DOES NOT deserve a
  46. Sep 10, 2013
    As a Total War veteran i urge those who haven't buy this game to wait, maybe a month, or 6 months, or a year, or better until they announce release of a new Total War game, so then you can buy Rome 2 on sale, otherwise you will be just wasting your money.

Maybe next Total War game will be much, much, much better, provided that Creative Assembly survives this disaster.

Shameful display CA
  47. Sep 10, 2013
    It's quite funny how CA games are more bugged with every new release, while modders get less and less opportunity to make these alphas playable. Hilarious.

But no problem people will still buy pre-orders, otherwise they will be given more castrated product, aka "buy it now or we don't give you 3 factions, LUDICROUS.
  48. Sep 10, 2013
    The core concept of the game is there but too many optimization and bug issues sit high above this game...in fact they are crushing Rome2 it deserves a poor rateing..the AI seems like its been programmed by a rabbit too many promises never delivered...if you havn't figured out yet what is wrong with this game then your not much of a fan...Hopefully with patches this game may rise but i have my doubts maybe a DLC adding some new stuff with some fixes may change its value...they have a lot of work in front of them..lets hope they are up to it. Expand
  49. Sep 10, 2013
    3/10 By far the weakest Total War game we have been delivered. - Graphics are jerky and buggy and at the same time the game performs much worse than Shogun II - Dumbed down UI (no more graphs, much less information etc.) - Victory Points in land battles (seriously, just WTF?!?!?!) those were by far the MOST idiotic battles I've ever been playing in a TW game - The lack of units. Haven't been counting them exactly, but from what i remember Rome II has far less units than Rome I.(Oh right, i forgot.....CA still needs to make more money and will sell us some fancy, over-priced dlc-units)
    - I've been playing the game for like 50 hours now and even on legendary difficulty battles are ridiculously easy, due to a very crappy AI that isn't able to build armies consisting of anything else but 20% levies and 80% skirmishers
    - When you play as a minor faction (like barbarians), so-called "major-factions" like Rome are being overrun by celtic tribes within the first 100 turns. So the expected "big war" against rome won't happen for me in my legendary arverni-campaign, which kind of spoils the complete campaign and i'm already bored to death with it, because there is absolutely no challenge.
    - Even on Legendary battles are extremely short lived. Pretty much everything's decided after one big clash. Due to this fact battles become very chaotic, too. There is no battle-line, no flanks, no order, nothing... There is no need to keep reserves in a battle for example. Just throw in everything you have at once and you'll win, because the enemy ranks immidiatelly start to crumble within a few SECONDS. Yes, whole enemy armies will route within only a few seconds into battle, because they haven't learned how to defend themselves and keep on dying like flies.
    - 1 Year turns: Add to the dumbing down of the game. You can only attack in one season, which is apparently winter. So you can't avoid attrition by summer campaigning. DERP
    Oh....I still could add dozens of points about this game, that I don't like at all.
    To me this is NOT Rome II: Total War. This is Beta II: Total Fail.
    All my hopes lie in Europa Barbarorum II, which will hopefully be coming soon for Medieval II (which in my opinion is the best TW game in the Series.)
  50. Sep 12, 2013
    No No No No NO! The game performs poorly on a 780 GTX, the AI is completely stupid. The release looks nothing like the Marketing screen shots and movies. CA were clearly on drugs when they sat down and made the developer vids.

Most infuriating of all, I paid for an unfinished, rushed, unpolished game. What the hell are the industry reviewers talking about as well! 80!!! more like 40
    my friends. If you have read this than read the user reviews, not the industry ones as they have clearly not played the game at all! Expand
  51. Sep 12, 2013
    the only good thing about this Total War game is the campaing map size and the number of factions. Rest of the game has taken major steps back. No more family tree, AI is horrible on all aspects, open field battles have capture points, navy has lost it's meaning and moving armies is way too easy, cities are dumbed down and they no longer feel like cities, most battles are silly "city-battles" (not sieges really), politics they promised are the most offensive slap into the fans' faces, units are now dumbed down so bad that no unit feels special, battles take less than 5 mins and have lost all epic feeling, diplomacy is meaningless, all provinces feel even more the same than before, agents and generals die too fast and you have no connection with any of them... I could go on with this but I think you get the idea.

This game is made for the dumb casual players who play the game for 50 hours and then move to the next game. There's no more any dept in this game, no epic feeling and it's so mainstreamed that I almost feel anger towards the devs who made this pile of crap. But then again all companies have their serious flops and this is one of them. Now their only hope is marketing to get this game sold, not the actual game.
  52. Sep 12, 2013
    How could they produce such a failure after the very gool Shogun 2? Very simple remove convenient features, add rubish. Change the menus in order to make them inconvenient, same for encyclopedia. Remove the garrison so the game can be summarized by "benny hill" run after a few morons while a few other morons take over your city etc... You cannot divide your army in two to defeat both at once!
    The battles are the worst ever. The siege battles are really dumb, and make 95% land battles. Sea battles are as good as in rome I as good as nothing at all.
    I laughed (and then cried) on explosive artillery. "You cannot have grain fields, you constructed a temple!"
    Please go tell the IA that sitting in front of your ennemies is OK for Gandhi, but not for Rome.
  53. Sep 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. HUGE bugs that can be fixed with patches but some key features like the random capture point on the battlefield or the stupid long wait in coop campaign make it barely enjoyable. As someone who played all the total war games and has spent about 2000 hours playing these games i fell like this game is the worst of them.

I cant even enjoy the battles because of the brain dead AI and the steamroll strategy which consist in making all your units charge and winning instantly even at legendary difficulty because there is no unit collision and they all stack and attack at the same time.

The diplomacy is broken right now because the AI will never take into consideration your military power when negotiating with you for some reason. The navy is useless cause you don't need it cause your armies can fight in the water like if it was a fleet and 80% of the battles are siege battles WHEN THEY SAID IT WAS A WEAK POINT IN SHOGUN AND THEY WERE GOING TO CORRECT IT FOR R2TW. Seriously i don't know what kind of illegal substances they took when they made the game.
  54. Sep 13, 2013
    Disappointing. Paid full price for a Beta. They saw record pre-orders. Can be sure I won't be one of those next time. Every promise that was made pre-launch was a lie. That just about sums it up.
  55. Sep 13, 2013
    Dont buy this, it´s a alpha. The game it´s broken, the AI it´s broken, the fps sucks. Im a fan of the Total War saga and this game its just Total Crap. CA you broke my heart.
  56. Sep 13, 2013
    Awful, CA lied about so much that they were implementing, iv played every total war and this one just doesn't have any feeling in it, its been totally streamlined and it doesn't play any different playing as rome, or carthage etc as they all have massively similar units, no unique events or intro movie and even though there are so many factions they all have the same units!!! I don't care if theirs say 30 different greek factions if they all have almost identical troops and don't act or strategise differently! and lets face it the ai doesn't strategise AT ALL, im into the late game as carthage, HOPING the game would improve as it has gone on but honestly it just doesn't, no particular part of this game is fun, I waited along time to play this game as so many did. All those CA videos are lies, like the Macedonian skirmish one: showing how 'good' the new ai was! its obvious now that it was a person playing as the romans in the video because there Is no chance that is the ai!!! Also I feel its sick that the critics reviews are so wrong, there is clearly something wrong when most critics are saying this game is amazing etc when clearly... CLEARLY its not. we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed that this can be salvaged somehow... Expand
  57. Sep 14, 2013
    Even as a stable working game (which it isn't for most people) it still sucks! All of the trade off decisions that made the game interesting and deep are gone in favor of stupid arcade simplicity.

Old total war: Roads are EXPENSIVE and take a LONG time to build, but they will grow your economy and help your troops move faster. Invest in building them too earlier and your small military
    will be starved of needed funds. Invest too late and you fall behind in the economic race.

Rome II:Roads build themselves automatically. You have zero control.

Old total war:Navies are very expensive and take a long time to build. A small one can protect your ports from pirates but is vulnerable to enemy navies, a larger one (HUGE investment) can protect your shores from invasion, and a massive one can project your power throughout the world with a relatively small army. Should you invest in a fleet now, or will one of your enemies land some large armies on your shores while the boats are being built and your army is not in condition to repel them?

Rome II: If your army walks to the ocean, transport ships magically appear and they can go anywhere. Put them on double time so they can reach a safe landing zone each turn and you'll never need to build a navy to move your troops. Also, your enemies get free magic transports too, so no point in investing in a Navy to hunt down and destroy theirs. Its just not possible. Just don't worry about it.

Old Total War:Units have lots of abilities that increase one aspect but sacrifice something else. (Increased defense, decreased movement rate.)

Rome II:Those abilities are still there, but the vast majority of abilities are new ones that can only be described as "magic". They are all benefit and no downside. (For example, increased rate of fire for missile units, generals can select an tired friendly units and restore them to "fresh" instantly). What archer wouldn't fire as fast as he could just because you hadn't told him too yet? His life is on the line! He's gonna kill as many of the enemy as he can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Worst of all, these super magic bonuses are time limited, but there is no limit to the number of times you use them. So instead of picking the critical moment of battle to use your brief increase in abilities, you have to constantly micro-manage the abilities, waiting for the clock to run out so you can instantly re-enable it. The new SUPER fast pace of the battles also means that managing these abilities well can have a greater impact than actual maneuvering! Winning battles is no longer about good positioning and timing the critical charge, instead its about how fast can you click magic buttons that are associated with different units. Game ruining feature.

Old Total War: Deploying for battle? The defender can use a large hill or cliff to make a stand, or use woods to conceal units for a small but critical surprise attack. The attacker must read the terrain and try to anticipate how the defender will choose to use it.

Rome II:Introduced a new battle realism option that limits your view of enemy to the line of sight of your troops. This enables you to use terrain to mask the movements of your army, makes hills more strategic because they reveal more of the battlefield, makes scouting units actually useful on the battlefield, and adds the excellent tension of "Where are they?!?!?" This is all awesome and a change everyone should be excited about.
    Too bad its entirely undercut by the fact that randomly generated flags determine the outcome of the battle. Capture the flag, win the battle. Doesn't matter if you have the larger army. Doesn't matter if you're holding the best hill ever. If the enemy stands on a stupid flag on the other side of the battlefield, you lose and your army is forced to retreat. That hill/forest/ravine perfect for deploying your army and controlling the outcome is now meaningless unless it happens to be near the flag the just kinda pops up out of nowhere for no reason. Worst feature of any strategy game EVER.
  58. Sep 14, 2013
    Firstly, I created my account to review this game. I usually dont review games here, but I felt I owed it to you all to do this.
    Firstly the positives. The attrition while maintaining siege is good, although its not been done very well. You seem to lose standard amount of men each turn, instead of getting random results (disease for example).
    Negatives... well, let me start off by saying
    that the game is horribly optimized, buggy, the multiplayer coop is unplayable etc. Its all that, true, but I dont even care. If there was a gem below all this rubbish I would be able to live with it.

But no, this is not a gem. Its horrible. The victory points in battles are completely ridiculous, and remove a lot of realism from the battles (CTF anyone?). The AI is dreadful no matter what it does... in amphibious assaults it just stands in the beach until the time runs out. Guard button is not there anymore, making battles a horrible point and click babysitting fest. The user interface is incredibly bad, considering that the Shogun 2's was pretty damn good. The tech tree is just pointlessly difficult to use. There are no more family trees. The game has no more seasons, as 1 turn 1 year, so youre not going to be attached to your characters for long anyway. The main problem however is the terrible army management. You have a limited number of armies, so you can have 3 x 2000 men armies, but not 4 x 500 men armies. Makes no sense whatsoever. Individual units cannot move from, lets say, city A to reinforce city B without a general anymore. You cant divide your armies. You cannot recruit from towns that dont have a general. I could literally go on forever. Literally.

Im sorry people, this game is a total mess. Even if you ignore the horrible optimization and bugs, the game itself has nothing to offer when compared to older Total Wars, it actually has less to offer. Please people, do yourself and everyone else a favor, and dont give your hard earned money to these moneygrubbing idiots.

I'll give the game 1/10 as it is, and 2/10 when its optimized. Shame... a real shame.
    And by the way, the site that gave it 100/100 should consider stopping game reviews completely.
  59. Sep 15, 2013
    And I promised never to pre-purchase again... and this is exactly why. Great game history. I've bought every Total War previously but Total War: Rome 2 has SO many faults it is basically unplayable for a rewarding experience. Worst is the fact that the AI is completely broken for battles, so broken that the game is essentially completely broken.
  60. Sep 15, 2013
    Horrible everything. Its another Empire total war, but dont get me wrong I love the total war series (excluding now Rome 2 and empire.) It has horrible amount of bugs and horrible Ai. This is just a mini review, watch videos on youtube for more indepth review of Rome 2. Youtube: Total War: Rome II Angry Review by AngryShowJoe, really depicts the worst of Rome 2.
  61. Sep 15, 2013
    They copied the AI, lack of collision physics, and monotonous city-building from Empire and tacked it onto this mess. SAVE YOUR 60-70 BUCKS! The troubles start when the game crashes for no good reason and the how user interface became downgraded to the point of being patronizing. NO MORE CUSTOM FORMATIONS!?. Massive lag on the campaign map with 100+ factions together taking 1+ minute on an optimum gaming computer to finish the turn, then there's the battle lag... This game was pushed to release and I have a feeling that the talent who actually make the game did not have a say in the matter as no self-respecting programmer should accept money for selling such a broken and falsely-advertised product. The punch-line being that some empty-greedy suit decided to do some DLC whoring by announcing DLC BEFORE the game was released. If money is no object, buy the first Rome Total War and this one, play them both and you will find a perfect example of what has gone wrong with gaming within the past 10 years. Expand
  62. Sep 16, 2013
    This is a disgracefully incomplete & flawed game incomplete, bugged, poorly designed & broken. The list of faults with this game are so long a review cannot begin to enumerate them. Effectively you are being asked to pay to Alpha Test a game that is, at best, 6 to 7 months away from being release ready.

However I doubt even modders will be able to salvage this game and even after bug
    fixes and AI tweaks it is hard to see how this will ever be more than a below average game. A major disappointment and a salutary warning to all consumers not to pre-order PC/Console games and facilitate the industries appalling recent record on incomplete releases (and don’t even get me started on DLCs).

In its present state it is the equivalent of buying a book with attractive covers, a contents page, an introduction with a missing end paragraph, a few incomplete chapters & the rest of the content completely missing.

The Specifics as a veteran of thousands of hours for all of the Total War Games and having logged 20 painful & frustrating hours on this game quite simple Rome II is incomplete and broken. The issues have been identified on many of the reviews but here are a few of the lowlights:

1. Performance Issues well documented. Fortunately I have a high end gaming spec so these graphics & loading problems have not been an issue for me. However, even with AI moves turned off it takes a very long time to process a turn (even early on in a campaign you have time to get up & put the kettle on). Naturally it gets longer to process as more goes on in the game leading to excessive waiting time.

2. The Campaign AI is too passive even at the highest difficulty level it will sit as you set up and then pulverize their faction, perversely, it will launch suicide attacks against city garrisons it can never hope to win. Coupled with some game design changes (naval moves, recruitment changes, extended range of armies, limits on armies available, tech development, & construction) it makes the strategic level shallow, boring and far too predictable.

3. The Battle AI (again at highest difficulty level) is not only too passive it is also broken. In one AI initiated joint Land & Naval attack after I had defeated the land force (in about 3 minutes) the Naval based reinforcements (although greatly outnumbering me by nearly 3 to 1) stayed on their ships refusing to move. I had to fast forward the game to end it and claim the victory (time to actually make the cup of tea!). The AI will send troops forward and then withdraw them in endless loops while being showered by missiles and destroyed. It will mindlessly attack choke points (such as encampment entrances), allow itself to be surrounded and charged in the flanks even when it has a 3 to 1 numerical superiority.

4. Naval battles totally broken Transport ships too powerful, AI is stupid, interface buttons often don’t work

5. Diplomacy hopeless. AI makes unrealistic & stupid demands and will not accept even the most rational of offers. Diplomacy has always been tricky in Strategy games but diplomacy in Rome II is a major backwards step. You won’t achieve the requisite goals for a Cultural/Diplomatic/Economic victory so don’t bother trying.

6. Battles There are numerous graphic glitches, cohesive battles formations are non existent as soon as contact is made, troops move too fast, skirmishing & missile fire is ineffective due to unit speeds, and the (questionable & frankly arcade-like) special unit abilities are almost never useable as battles usually take no more than 5 minutes (longest battle was 10 minutes with roughly 30-35 units per side).

7. User Interface inconsistent application of the interface, buttons & toggles often don’t work (record of 7 presses to make one “in battle” button work), standard interface tools (closing boxes, highlighting selected options, hyperlinks) are often absent or non-existent. The Encyclopedia is poorly designed and lacking indexing and cross referencing.

Very soon after the campaign starts you will be auto-resolving everything as the battles & sieges are completely pointless, characterless & lack any tactical challenge. This leaves you with a non existence real –time battle component & a slightly below average strategy game. For every good design choice made in this game (there are a few minor ones) there are probably 2 or 3 bad ones.

Buyers should be demanding money back (I will be) & suppliers like Amazon asking for compensation from the publisher for providing a defective product.
  63. Sep 16, 2013
    This is not a total war game. This is basically just starcraft with roman legions. Battles end within a few minutes and nearly every unit has some stupid arcade like "special ability" that gives them some magical damage boost or faster running speed. Units run and perform actions like throwing javelins way too fast and you can have your men run extremely long distances without getting tired.

The game also places a hug emphasis on capture the flag battles now. Open land battles consist of rushing magical flags to win instead of using your brain to rout the enemy and run them down. Units also dissolve into mindless mosh pits as soon as they reach the enemy. The guard mode is gone so good luck trying to keep your men in formation to set up proper battle lines. Family trees(one of the best features in any total war game) is also gone and replaced with some shallow "internal politics" system that has no impact on the game whatsoever since the game will just fart out generals endlessly for you to use no matter what.

Worst total war game ever.
    This makes empire look like a masterpiece and I will never buy another total war game again until CA gets their together. If you want a real total war game then go play classic Rome or Medieval 2.

P.S. WTF were you thinking CA by hiring Richard Beddow instead of Jeff van Dyck? The empire and napoleon soundtracks composed by Beddow were boring as and it clearly shows in Rome 2 with it's generic monotone music that doesn't build up to anything. Jeff's music is what brings life to the total war series and the game feels dead without it, no matter how good the game is in other regards.
  64. Sep 16, 2013
    I would like to make a clarification. Objectively the game rating should be about 6.5. Not quite a 7 but not quite a 6. The only reason I gave a 4, is because the reviewers, the critics, decided to give it a near perfect score, which is pure bull, and would only encourage companies to flood out more unfinished/unpolished games.

"It's not about the score, it's about sending a message"

The jist of it is summed up in the last two paragraphs, if you don't want to read the whole review. Basically it's a 4, plus points for size and beauty and a whole bunch of negative ones for it being a complete mess playability wise.

As of date I have spent roughly 80 hours in Rome 2, but I have no idea why. Every two seconds in the game a random bug appears which makes you want to tear off your scalp. And although the Beta 2 patch solves a lot of issues, it is still way too easy to call the entire game a Beta test.

Don't get me wrong, I looove the game, I absolutely adore it. At least that was my first impression of it, which I'm guessing is all the "official" critics bothered to get: a first impression with one hour of gameplay. Or they were just pandering to the company. Either of the two. After your tenth hour you start noticing annoying little things and after about 20 hours, you want to smash your PC. But you'll still love the game, and this is why.

It is stunningly beautiful. And huge. I mean the campaign map is unbelievably huge, with over a hundred factions on it. And the smallest thing which i love the most is that the cities expand on the map visibly when they grow.. it;s amazing, with all the other little improvements it makes the game fantastic. Best of all it actually makes you feel like you're in the time period, it gives you that feeling. even more so than any Total War game to date. And again, incredibly beautiful. I cannot even imagine the amount of that went into making this game, and to the developers I say bravo.

But then there is the game as a whole. It's a buggy mess, and some of the game mechanics are completely retarded. That amount of work that they put into it is not even noticeable compared to that. And yes the current patch tries it's best to get it to work, but it;s still bugged to the core. Ships riding sand dunes armies just dancing around for no reason, soldiers flying, 12 elephants killing an army of 3000 strong.. one time I did a siege, broke the enemy's gates, and when I ran my army through it, they all died for no reason. wtf? And that is just a few of them. But I would be able to look over them if not for the two biggest problems the game has.

The streamlining and the AI. I mean holy what the huh? The AI is incredibly stupid, it's the worst one I've seen in years... it is a passive moron on every difficulty. Both the campaign and the battle and naval. By the way, naval battles are bugged to the point of unplayable, so don't even bother. Just to give a hint at how stupid the AI is, I've won a battle where outnumbered 10 to 1. 10 to 1!!! This is Sparta? And no, not because of some strategic chokepoint or anything, it was a plain field, no high ground, no nothing. All it was that the AI sacrificed half their army for no reason, and the rest did nothing even after that. And the game is streamlined to the point of it makes no sense. Random capture point flags appear in battles, which makes the AI go crazy and destroys any option of strategic maneuvering. Battles have been sped up, now the whole thing looks like a mosh pit, you can barely issue a few orders and the battle is over. A lot of features have been stripped and replaced with some easy nonsense, and it adds nothing substantial. Granted it does add a few minor improvements, like provinces and cinematic cameras, but the core of it is bare. General's speech has been shortened to almost nothing, there are barely any cinematic cutscenes, and so on.

Here's the jist of it: overall it seems to me that it the biggest issue it has is that it's been rushed like most games as of late. It's a shady business practice that I will not stand for. It's not that it's unfinished, it's unpolished. The only thing they seemed to care about was the aesthetic of the game, so they can sell it based on pre-release advertising. And they botched that up as well, because the graphics are a mess. It's been overhyped and underdelivered, and it's not optimized at all. The best PCs could barely run the high settings. The Beta patch seems to fix this one issue, for which I am grateful. The streamlining and brain dead AI only further proves that they tried to sell as many copies as possible to retarded teenagers, rather than making a quality game.

In closing I highly doubt that it will be ever fixed completely. Your best hope is the modding community, who already did tremendous progress towards solving certain issues. I would advise checking the TWcenter,and downloading the mods you think are needed. It's a hug
  65. Sep 16, 2013
    I was very excited for this game, and expected the very best from CA, however what I got was a bad, unfinished and dumbed down game. The main issue I found during the first couple of days was how horrible the AI is, and being a primarily single player game I had expected a more appropriate AI skill, besides the fact that my fairly new upgraded pc had some performance issues.There are just far too many issues and I highly recommend you wait or simply not buy this. Expand
  66. Sep 17, 2013
    I am so angry about this game. Instead of finishing the development and THEN releasing it, the just throw it at the people and say "ok we will give you a 5GB Update every week from now on"-until it' s finished in 2045. And I won't comment on the 100GB Steam donwload you need to do first. And how big my hate against Steam is. I have sent the game back although I registered the key. If they try to prosecute me, I will fight to death.
    I am so angry about this crap.

I was happy when they released it but NOOOO it's unplayable and makes my PC go nuts.
  67. Sep 18, 2013
    As a strategic game it fails on many points:
    chaoticc user interface.
    Non intuitive user menus
    Many glitches
    The advisor looks useful but the feel of the game is that one does not know what is happening or what you are at.
    What is the point of this game?
  68. Sep 18, 2013
    The game AI is awful. The numerous bugs and unfinished features are a real kick in the backside of people who expected more from this development team. Even worse are these people (so called gaming sites) giving the game high ratings. Do we really condone unfinished products like Rome 2? Don't reward them with high marks on what a game can be as opposed to what it should be?
  69. Sep 18, 2013
    Sega and CA are at it again. Wait a year and buy R2 for 20 bucks. It might be fixed by then, but it probably still won't be as good as previous Total War titles. The franchise is going the wrong direction. Things are getting dumbed down and the hardware, stability, and AI issues are worse than ever.
  70. Dec 6, 2013
    This release is by far the worse release yet, been a fan of total war games since the frist rome total war, it would take too long to list all the issues on this game. Bugs UI worse then any other previous release? (no fire at will button just to start) Pointless objectives, Politics seem pointless? DLC all over the place the list is endless Bottom line rome total war 1, medieval total war 2 is far better than this game so get them and save yourself a heap of cash. Skip this release Expand
  71. Dec 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Although many problems have been addressed and fixed the game is still a complete mess, and is flawed down to the bones. A game that could have been the flag ship of the total war games is probably the worst ever made. Expand
  72. Oct 23, 2013
    In short, I call this game a failure in the series, simply because the changes over the previous titles, and the new additions are poorly implemented, and they are not fleshed out enough to make a difference. What I don't understand is, even though they had a bigger budget, and "experience" from the previous titles, accomplishments and mistakes, how have they come up with such a disaster.

Longer version, the battles play way more faster than any previous title in the series, and mostly it becomes a blob-fest where your orders doesn't matter. This is where you'll notice that nearly all units have an ability, maybe more than one, and this is another example to the bad implementation. You win battles by using to these abilities, rather than a careful planning and execution of the strategy. Which is a shame, as I think many people play this game for its epic battles. Not to mention that the AI is still troubled, and most of the time do stupid stuff.

Among the new features, now you pick a stance for an army. Why? It felt natural before; if you have slow moving units, your army movement was bound to those units. To move fast, you had to use cavalry-only forces to hit and run, or catch an enemy. To ambush, you had to set up "camp" in forests, and alike. It felt natural, you didn't have to click on anything to "toggle" those stuff. Also, the way the recruitment is done in this game is just retarded. Why change the old ways? Recruit from any city/town, group them up, send them to the general. While it seems logical in Rome; that your general has to stand still, it is not. Game tries to "emulate" the process for you, but it makes so in a stupid way. Shogun II's system was better, recruit at general, and recruits move to general, also can get intercepted. Recruit in towns, group them up and send them to general yourself. Etc...

Naval combat... I don't like it. The best naval combat was naturally in Empire Napoleon. There, you can execute some strategy. Any other game, where cannons are not involved, it generally ends up in an orgy on some ship, and all other ships around it. Still, combining naval combat with land combat, that's a very good step. However, that thing is bugged aswell, I am unaware if it is fixed but, there are just a few landing points, and when all of them are occupied, all your ships can just watch the rest of the battle.

City management also suffers. You cannot get a clear picture of what is what that easily, and this IS a big problem. UI has always been one of the weakest points in Total War games in my opinion. Instead of expanding on and improving what they had, they just skimmed the UI heavily, and buried the essentials even deeper. Introduction of bread, and changes to growth, while sounds sensible, takes away a part of the game; town/city development. In Shogun II, if you captured a well developed city that belonged to your enemy, you'd be keeping it intact, because any sacking/razing done would affect the accumulated growth aswell. Now, there is no point, a city is always the same, razing or sacking doesn't change a thing.

Among other new things, the political system is rudimentary, non-essential at best. It involves a few buttons that are totally unnecessary, and takes up hard-disk space in short. Also, (for Rome and Carthage at least), political system sort-of gets disabled after the major rebellions. As I've said, poorly implemented and not fleshed out fully.

The performance of the game is on the floor. While I can play Shogun II on extreme, and even Rome II offered me Extreme, it turns out, I can only play it at low-medium. Just unbelievable.

I can go on. But among this many negative reviews, I think you get the point already.
  73. Sep 24, 2013
    Well, what can i say what others haven't.
    I had high hopes for this game, expected it to be the pinnacle of the franchise and then it all fell down.
    Maybe after 2 expansion pack this game will be in line with Shougun 2.
  74. Sep 24, 2013
    Very buggy AI (Unit AI is so bad its destroying the game right now) and not much to do in the game. Got bored very fast.
    Also, VERY expensive DLC that gives you basicly nothing. Feels like a rip-off.
  75. Oct 4, 2013
    Hey look another CA Total War game, with all the same caveats poor computational optimization, lack of unit diversity, only masochists play naval combat manually, AI turn times which progress about as fast as a legless donkey, useless combat AI which stands around while you slaughter them (it's been such a long-running problem, I'm starting to think CA believes AI you massacre effortlessly is a selling-point because the player's supposed to feel like a bad*ss, instead of cheated), a boring and unengaging "metagame" (campaign map play), and sadistic camera settings which don't let you really grasp everything going on without breaking flow to move the camera and see all the different engagements while the game's paused (seriously there's no excuse for this. If I wanted "realism," or whatever it is they're going for, I'd just keep the camera zoomed in). Modders rush in to fix the many deficiencies of the game, and do a fair job with it but I'm not going to take mods into account when vanilla gameplay is so awful, I uninstalled the game after less than 5 hours of play. In defense of CA itself, however check out Extra Credits Extra History, which CA's marketing division funded. I imagine it's the most fantastic history lesson on the Punic Wars ever given. Expand
  76. Sep 25, 2013
    Constantly crashes, ugly graphical tears and poor shadows on both the campaign and battle views, All the units look nearly the same, have pretty much identical stats, and have similar unit icons.

After 3 patches from Creative Assembly its still broken, still buggy, and still and huge pile of dog ****

Thanks for shows us alpha shots that looks 10x better than the finished product,
    and thanks for lying through your teeth all through development. Expand
  77. Sep 26, 2013
    I don't know what it is but it seems that companies are getting more and more money grubbing. First Strong hold 3 and now this. I can't possibly see how this can get a good review. Rome was my favorite strategy of all time and they've done it a complete disservice. I'm pretty sure CA must be seeding the reviews. I have a very solid computer and this thing lags to hell. Crashes are rampant. "Normal" speed on battle map is at least x2. They've patched this twice and its done nothing... oh well, as long as they get our money they don't care about the game they make. Expand
  78. Sep 19, 2013
    Total War: Rome II is total the my high end rig can not even run it a 30 fps at max settings I got a FX 8350 and 7970 and I don't even get a 30 fps stable if you want to play a RTS play Shogan 2 this game is freaking
  79. Sep 13, 2013
    This review score isn't based on the bugs (of which there are a lot, but they'll be patched out of existence soon enough). It's not based on day one issues of crashing, not being able to play etc. It's not even based on the ridiculous balancing issues (this is a world where an elephant could destroy the entire Roman legion on its own if it were so inclined) or the terrible AI and ridiculous overall simplicity of the game (currently, you have to actually try to lose a game, it's the easiest strategy game I've ever played in my life!). I recognise all of those things as issues, but they're not deal breakers for me. They can and will be fixed.

No, the score is so low because of one completely unforgivable and unfixable problem in particular; the capture the flag mechanic is mind-numbingly stupid and a central facet of this game.

It's beyond bad. OK, so armies charging through impossible odds to take the shortest route to the flag etc. "may" be fixed, but the mechanic will remain and thus the game will forever suck. It had no place in this game and it's difficult to comprehend exactly why the devs thought this was a good idea. It would have taken one proper strategy game enthusiast an hours testing at best before telling them it sucked, so the question has to be asked: did they test this game on any scale at all before releasing?!

And it's such a shame, because there's a classic game waiting to burst out from under the surface here, but there's just too many stupid and/or lazy decisions by the devs which weigh it down to the point where there's little to no hope for it.
  80. Sep 14, 2013
    I have been waiting for this game for several years, since the Empire TW. I played for a total of 4 hours? I have not played again or have any desire to play again any time soon. They made to game look pretty. They ruined the games internals and made it so that this game will be broken for years to come. The turn waiting is way to much, over 5 minutes in some cases. They really killed the game, between:

1. Turn waiting
    2. AI is broken Which causes the battles to be broken and boring.
    3. Battles are broken and boring.
    4. Easy to raise armies and go on a capturing spree.
    5. Building structures is boring and purposeless.
  81. Dec 5, 2013
    This game is absolute piss. Play Rome 1 or Medieval 2 and weep for it. Don't waste your time actually trying to have fun on this boring garbage. The biggest disappointment in gaming history.
  82. Sep 14, 2013
    Big deception all over this game. Too long between tours (take your coffee), very poor AI, bad research system, battles are too easy, Navy battles are ridiculous. City and Army Management is dull.

General Map is nice.

I return to the original Rome Total War
  83. Sep 13, 2013
    Over 60 hours now and I just can't take it any more. I tried to be a good little fanboy but this game is sh*t in its current state. SHAME on sega and SHAME on ca for taking advantage of a loyal fan base.
    -Battles are now capture the flag
    -AI is the most broken its ever been. Set the battle timer to 20 minutes because they wont even attack half the time and youll end up just waiting out a
    battle, suicide AI charges
    -Super streamlined. No politics, no family, no senate, no Factions Ranking scroll, cant base taxes on a city to city basis only faction-wide, units replenish in 2 turns
    -Glitchy graphics, poor AI pathfinding, poor unit responsiveness
    -FLAMING JAVELINS
    -On "legendary" difficulty enemy agents have 99% succes rate, yours have 10%, which doesn't make it hard but unfair
    -NO AGENT CUT SCENES
    -Armies make a fleet automatically by entering water. Those fleets of transports easily defeat the "real" fleets of warships
    -Random lag on campaign map and battles
    DO NOT BUY DO NOT BUY DO NOT BUY wait several months for the 9,875,889,785 MB of patches that have to go through this game
  84. Sep 11, 2013
    1000s of hours playing total war games from shogun 1. This has topped the disgrace of empire total war release by a hundred fold. AI so poor, buggy and crashed, unoptimised performance. No chance for a refund this is an alpha build scam Buy in 6 months to a year and dont be scammed.
  85. Sep 15, 2013
    Let's play Rome Total War 2, shall we ?

ZZZZzzzzZZZZZzzzzzZZZZ

That sums it up I think. This game is just boring, there is no challenge whatsoever and most of the time is made of... waiting. There is no rythm or ambiance that would keep the player interested quite a failure when you think it should involves Rome, huge battles, acts of heroism, conquest, politics, treasons, and the
    such. But here, nope, it's just plain boring.

Congratulations for that Creative Assembly, it is really quite an achievement.

Also, false marketing, false promises, we're getting used to it, but it's always totally unacceptable. Lying to customers is very very low. Watch Angry Joe review on youtube, listen to the people in charge of the AI and laugh your ass off comparing it to the reality. Shame, shame on you. Stop spending money on marketing and overhype, and use more in actual work on important things like AI.

And of course everything else... UI is bad, especially for nowadays standards. Naval units are useless. Performances issues. Units balancing messed up. Loading times...

Well pretty much everything is off.

This game is maybe worth 3/10 and 10 bucks, but am gonna lower it to a 2/10 because of the false reviews. Guys, it really starts to show that you are bought and that is unacceptable.
  86. Sep 15, 2013
    This is not the ROME II Total war that was advertised. It is more like a dumbed down version of shogun II without all the things that make Total war unique. The family tree is butchered as well as the line of succession which would allow you to actually care about your generals. When I need a new general I just press a red button and one pops out. I have never been so disappointed with a Total war than I am now. Rome I was not improved upon. ROME II is a piece of what ROME I was. Expand
  87. Sep 15, 2013
    Sadly this game was a failure. Do not buy until it gets patched in a year. Ya it's really bad. Do not buy. Don't buy it becaues it's really bad. I hate it.
  88. Sep 10, 2013
    Im not sure what they are thinking! They released the game way to soon when fans would have understood. It is dumb down and streamlined way too hard. So many bad design decisions make it depressing to play this "Total War" game
  89. Sep 4, 2013
    I'm a huge fan of the whole series and this is an inexplicably dismal entry. My rating is relative to Shogun 2, which for me is one of the best games I've played: polished, balanced, stylish, engaging on several levels, huge without being bloated and these are all qualities which appear to have been entirely gutted from the latest instalment. I'd be willing to forgive a large number of bugs, but clearly, there have also been some very bad design decisions in there. Really awful, confusing UI in places; woeful AI (maybe that's not entirely new); player decisions just don't seem important on the strategic map; un-tactical, boring battles. Maybe these things are exacerbated by each other and could be improved individually, but my overall impression is that it's just fundamentally uninteresting and unbalanced on top of being an extremely sloppy release. As a new game out of the blue, maybe this would pass for a 5 or 6, but the benchmark has been set high and this falls very short of it. Very disappointing. Expand
  90. Sep 4, 2013
    i am a big fan of TW series and I try really hard to like this one, but I just cant. Battles are completely spoiled, they last for few minutes/sometimes seconds Morale and daying speed are just to low, armies cannot hold formation. It is not about strategy anymore. All you have to do is select all your troops, click charge, wait awhile and if you are lucky you win. No walled cities were supposed to take away boring sieges, but in reality it didnt help at all. You are still forced to fight in narrow streets and thus you will face lots of pathfinding issues. Things such as ugly units cards, bad UI, boring soudntrack are just minor problems, but terrible AI and fast paced arcade battles with no strategy involved makes this game unplayable.(at least for me) Expand
  91. Sep 4, 2013
    It gets a 2 because I could get it to run, and it didn't crash...although the game looks terrible...with everything minimized and on low, i still watch as the game drops to bellow 10 FPS during benchmarking (wherein I got my first achievement...Play 1 hour of Rome II...yeah, I received it while benchmarking just to try and play the game at an FPS that wouldn't make my eyes hurt and bleed). They said this game would be optimized for high and low end machines. Blatant lie. The AI is hilarious...and by hilarious i mean silly and very non-threatening. I think this game actually took a step back from Rome I in that department...and also yes, I am a guy who created a metacritic account just so I could express my absolute disappointment in this game and Creative Assembly. With a system WELL above the recommended specs, I have never had so many problems getting a game to work properly....and I do mean ever. I own every other total war game except for Napoleon, and I am a huge fan of Shogun(1 and 2) as well as Medieval and Rome 1. This absolute piece of beta crap is inexcusable. I am one of the most forgiving gamers you could meet, but this garbage needs to end. First and last time I will ever be suckered into buying a game via pre-order, and fat chance I will support Creative again until they change this pathetic business practice. Many of us are to blame as well...if you pre-ordered like I did, its sad to say that we have become part of the problem....we are rewarding poor business practices by doing this (Thanks to TotalBiscuit for helping me to see that light). To those that read this, Rome II is yet another warning bell. We, as the gamer community, should down right REFUSE to pre-order anything. Period. Rome II is a GREAT example of why, and unless we hit them were it counts, they will continue this arrogant, terrible behavior...all the while patting themselves on the back on the way to the bank while throwing in-game dress up clothes at us to try and satisfy the anger of being lied to and having our trust abused. Thanks to any for reading. Expand
  92. Sep 4, 2013
    General Cap= bad idea
    Victory Point= You can win or lose battles just by avoiding people and sitting on random parts of the map...
    Confusing UI= I can handle a abundance of UI I've played wow with enough add-ons to fill the screen. This how ever was amazingly un-intuitive, confusing and just unpolished
    Lag ridden=I complete my move in campaign and spend the next 5 minutes waiting on AI
    so I can play again
    Overall Uninspired performance from this company, truly sad
  93. Sep 4, 2013
    Aside from consistent crashes when loading a tactical battle, the game is ok. If no crashes, would give an 8. Nice looks, removed some features I didn't enjoy in Total War: Rome.
  94. Sep 4, 2013
    A great example, why it´s more worth to be a pirate having paid for this game made me just feel really bitter. I´ve played for 24 h and it really isn´t working properly.

Diplomacy isn´t working well (as always in TW), soldiers are VERY VERY stupid I hate it how the horses tend to return to fight the spear-men head on even if I order them for the 10th time to withdraw. Also capturing
    routing enemies is compared to Shogun simply broken it´s more like a Terry Fox run with your pals to the borders and eventually someone dies in the process. I can´t see whether my units are tired, can´t see detailed information about their status and mood, general unit is compared to Shogun quite useless. All together the fights are simply BAD I played Shogun campaign a week ago and EVERYTHING was better there....WTH is that supposed to be CA?!

AI sucks generally, graphics are worse than Shogun 2 and performance is much worse also on the tactical map. Loading times between turns take forever and enemies tend to attack You even if their chances aren´t even visible at the strength bar. The more I write the more problems I suddenly realise...I could carry on like that for an hour, but I´ll rather summarize it in one sentence....

Please, DON´T BUY THE GAME, because they don´t deserve Your money....at least not now
  95. Sep 4, 2013
    I played over 24 hours and i finally have to say that the game needs A LOT OF WORK....the AI is horrible(battles last up to 10 min.)....so where is the challenge CA promised? Also it has limited optimizing and the time waiting for your next turn is REALLY BORING...I don't have any serious problem with the province system but i really hate the diplomacy....Even though i don't have a lot of graphic problems (despite the fact that my pc is old), it makes me sad that CA made a step backwards....In conclusion i hope the game will get better with time but for now even 4/10 is the best i can rate it.... Expand
  96. Sep 5, 2013
    As a big fan of the Total War Series and the first Rome game specifically (at least 150 hours played on that one alone), it is safe to say this game is a giant step backward. The simplicity of management and enjoyment of strategic battle that was present in the first Rome game has been systematically removed. The number of bugs, optimization, and ai are inexcusably poor for such a high budget project, and so much less than I expected from the series. I hope some serious patches are released soon, but for me the game is probably a dead end now. Back to Rome: Total War for some serious modding, I guess. Expand
  97. Sep 5, 2013
    First ever game I pre-ordered, having played every total war since Rome 1. I've loved every single one of them, sure they all have flaws but nothing that sticks out too much. Rome 2 has been an enormous step down, a huge disappointment and a waste of money. I wish I could take it back and wait for the next release. Multiplayer is disgraceful, I would prefer to play Rome 1. The UI is horrible to navigate around and the army choices are limited. Having come from the outstanding multiplayer of Shogun 2, I won't be playing Rome multiplayer at all. The turn times have been an issue in all Total War games excepting Shogun 2, but in this release they are ridiculous. I can quite literally write a page of work while I'm waiting, my only fear somebody will initiate diplomacy and halt the process until I respond. The AI are terrible as always, and the campaign game feels cut down and shabby. The UI is hard to work with, there are limited management options and nothing really flows or makes sense. In battle, there are a huge amount of bugs but the ones that stick out are faulty attack orders and the complete stripping down of the UI. No fire at will, no guard mode etc. The unit cards are hard to read and take up almost half the screen. The graphics, at my current settings (Medium-High) are worse than Shogun which I can run on high, and the frame rate is slower. I thought that there must be a glitch when I saw my first battle lasted 5 minutes but no, every single battle takes 5 minutes or less. Politics is useless, there are no more events and overall there is no real flavour to the game. There are some good points, multiplayer loading times are vastly improved and the scope of the game is impressive, but unfortunately the good is lost in a sea of disappointment. It's an incomplete money grab, and CA have toyed with their fans including me who were so keyed up for the launch. I've learned a bit of a Roman life lesson; trust nobody and never jump into anything. Expand
  98. Sep 6, 2013
    Rome Lite is an arcade game designed for the casual player. Boring things like strategy and depth have been done away with, and by mid-2014, once it's been patched, it will look very pretty and be good for several hours of gameplay. Take no notice of all these reports of bugs, for they are immaterial and transient; what really matters is the vanity and incompetence of the design team. Given these two qualities, no way will Sega CA allow full modding tools to allow enthusiasts to create a beautiful sequel to one of the greatest games of all time. Expand
  99. Sep 7, 2013
    I have a gtx 660 ti 2gb), i5 3450, 8 gb ram and I thought this would be enough to play the game on high settings. I was wrong...~20 fps on the campain map...that's ridiculous!! When I zoom in during a battle the fps drops down to 15 or less. So I have to play it on low/medium settings. And even then the fps aren't stable. I waited for the patch, which released on Friday, but it changed nothing...
    The AI is just as as the performance. It happens very often, that one unit (sometimes even hurt) want to occupy one of my cities, which are well defended. On the battlefield the AI is a disappointment, too! 5 hours of playing and i have concluded...there is no fun playing this!
  100. Sep 7, 2013
    Total War fan since shogun. Loved Rome and Medieval2, was TWs prime time. Been downhill since ,and this launch is just a fiasco. Soooo much content missing I just feel so let down and missed chances with this game. Been wanting it for months

1. Nov 18, 2013
    The game is far less polished than Shogun 2, and a few more patches will help, but Rome II is still a flawed game that is underwhelming when compared to previous titles in the franchise.
  2. Nov 6, 2013
    And here’s the rub: every addition, every sub-system, every mechanic is subservient to War. War is what Total War is really about. Everything else not directly related to conflict comes across as ancillary. Rome II is a game for warmongers, on both the campaign map and, obviously, on the battlefield. When peace is happening, nothing is happening. When war is happening, Rome comes alive.
  3. Oct 28, 2013
    If you will play literally anything featuring Total War and Rome in the same title and don't value your time, this is for you. [Nov 2013, p.80]