• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Sep 3, 2013
4.0

1. Nov 19, 2013
    No cut-scenes , no family tree or a working politic system , too modern UI feel more like supreme commander than Rome total war ), battle too arcade like just take a group of the best units and right clicks like if you were playing diablo WIN ), stupid BAI and CAI with many path-finding problems both on the campaign map and in battles, even the music is not appealing and not culture specific rome as the same music as the averni or parthia )
    Generals pop up from no where and you have difficulties to recognize them as the portraits diversity is really poor !

Well, to sum up still a Total failure patch 7
  2. Sep 14, 2013
    Granted, large PC releases usually have a "breaking in" period where the teething troubles are ironed out it's difficult to test every aspect of a game this large without delaying the release by a year and some launch issues are always to be expected. This, however, is too much. To release a game which is at best unoptimised, at worst unplayable and in all cases unfinished to pre-ordering customers (the franchise's most loyal fans) is disgraceful, especially considering that the finished article will be available at knock-down price in a few months. You could fool me into thinking that this is a beta version intended to work out all the bugs in preparation for a more lucrative console version of the game.

Even disregarding the game's complete unplayability for all but a handful of users, Rome II feels dumbed-down in comparison to previous releases and is obviously intended for a console port at a later date. Land battles often take longer to load than they do to fight, and the implementation of "victory points" (capture the flag) in field battles is a monumental which ruins what should be the best part of the game. Unit special abilities, originally limited to the general's ability to rally his troops, have now been extended to the point that every unit has two or three the micromanagement of abilities in battle is nigh-impossible and their very inclusion adds to the impression that the game is being groomed for a console release. Infantry moves too fast and even the most disciplined units (legionnaires, hoplites etc.) break formation as soon as contact with the enemy is made. The guard mode button has been removed, meaning that units will chase after any enemy they rout regardless of the tactical situation. I can't comment on siege battles as the game freezes every time I attempt one. The unit cards deserve a special mention they all look like Roman frescoes, which adds a bit of authenticity but falls flat on its face when you realise that they all look the same. Confusing your levy spearmen with your crack assault troops in the (brief) heat of battle is not an infrequent occurrence.

Naval battles are woeful. Armies can now move over the sea, spawning transports when they do so. These transports are stronger than most dedicated naval vessels (since they hold about three times as many troops each) making the maintenance of large fleets futile. Even when two large fleets meet there is little by way of tactical finesse involved simply point each ship in the direction of an enemy and hope for the best. Ships seem to randomly rout regardless of their circumstances, and naval combat is over as quickly as land combat.

The campaign has moved backward. Character attributes are never explained (except by looking them up in the clunky in-game encyclopaedia). The politics system is never explained in tutorials. Agents all seem to do the same thing. The character development system, which was pretty good in Shogun 2, is redundant now that generals' life expectancies are typically 20-30 turns. Limiting factions to a certain number of armies depending on their size prevents the strategic distribution of forces on the campaign map you can't, for example, take a settlement with a full army and leave a few units behind to defend it while you move on to the next one. Once you capture a settlement, constructing buildings of any type is difficult when every building seems to reduce public order. "The peasants are revolting because you've built a new shield-maker!" Seriously?

I won't go in to how bad the campaign AI is, but suffice it to say that I played through an entire campaign and was not attacked once. Not once.

All that said, my biggest irritation with RTWII is not the game itself but the reviews. It is abundantly clear that none of the critics giving this game 80%+ have actually played it. "Plays smooth" really? Have these critics been paid off? Is that where CA's testing budget went? Only a couple (notably the Guardian here in the UK) have had the bottle to tell it like it is. I hope this debacle gives CA a bloody nose and makes them reconsider making their foray into the dumbed-down console market at the expense of the loyal players who got them where they are in the first place.

The graphics are very pretty though.
  3. Sep 14, 2013
    i've just signed up to leave this review, this game is so disappointing after watching the trailers and being a fan of the total war franchise from the start and with shogun 2 being awesome i expected this game to be even greater. The AI is terrible which wont be a game changer if you didn't just buy dogs which in kill 80% of any army without even engaging them, or the gates to a fort opening and closing none stop so you cant burn the gate down. Boring though when you use 2000 men vs 8000 just dogs and only take 50 casulaitys. I can live with stuff like this though even on the highest difficulty but stuff like shoguns army controls missing in rome 2 makes me cry or how naval battles are pointless. People disappear from your armys to fast aswell, different forts are just the same fort rotated on the map a let down. it does have some nice things like line of sight and province but the more i play it the more i start to think do i really want the next one if its like this. how people can rate this game 8/10 i dont understand. granted ive only played 55hours of it so far and i am playing it on its highest settings across the board graphics/gameplay but im bored of it and let down and shogun keep me entertained for ...well lets say 5x this in single player alone. i unstand glitches and ai bugs all ways happen in these games but comon didnt you even do beta and its core machinics are just not there and its a shadow of other games Expand
  4. Sep 21, 2013
    A travesty. Shame on you CA. Learn from Stardock and do something to compensate the people who pre-purchased this grossly sub-standard product. This has done much damage to a well-respected franchise.
  5. Oct 3, 2013
    Unlike the professional reviewers I cannot give this game anything more then a 1. The reason being simply that the game itself responds like an alpha test. It does to bare any indication of a finished streamlined product. The AI which was praised to the stars before release is actually the worst AI the series has ever seen hands down, without an excuse offered for this absolute failure. Speaking of failure, there was yet another video offered where the narrator claimed: This is way way pre alpha footage. The end product will look much nicer. That is of course what we all wished to hear. Sadly that pre alpha footage was clearly a sham. Since I've not seen a single person play the game and have that level of detail or polish to it. Even some YouTube rookie reviewers, a small number of which have Titan graphics cards and of course the gear to match Have not managed to attain that level of graphical appeal. Now what does this tell us? Either, the video was intentionally manipulated to make the game look nicer. Or that they have in fact managed to downgrade the graphics to such an extreme without informing their customers that the game ended up graphically in the gutter on release. There are of course many other problems in this wonder of modern gaming One of which is the time per turn. Now anyone that has played this game knows, that it has an army of factions. But so did their previous. Granted, there were not as many, but the number was still quite high. Yet it seems somehow, that they've managed to slow down the AI. In fact it has slowed down the AI so much, that in some cases, it takes up to 5 minutes to end a turn. It becomes even worse when/if you decide to play the multiplayer campaign. Added to the already exuberant waiting time, is the danger of desynchronization. It seems that once it reaches the end of the faction listing that is the factions that you've discovered thus far the game decides to simply lock up due to the desynchronization. Which effectively makes the game completely unplayable as a multiplayer product.

But the technical aspect of the game is simply half of what a good Total War game should provide us. Let's take a look at the game content. We start with political aspect. If we compare Rome 2 to Rome 1, we can clearly see that Rome 1 was far more interesting. In Rome 1 it became clear very quickly when you were either moving too quickly or too slowly. The Senate in Rome 1 was favorable to you if you did as they liked, or turned against you in the elections if you did things that they disapproved of. Their dislike for you could grow to such an extent, that they would send the appointed official to check your family's income. And if that official was not in your pocket a family member you would be fined a good amount of cash. It could further grow in scale until there was nothing left but all out war. Does Rome 2 offer such a political challenge? Sadly no. First of, the Roman senate has according to the game nothing to do with you at all. At times they are mentioned in a mission you receive as the source. But beyond that nothing. There is no extra gain or penalty if you choose to either complete the mission or downright ignore it. The family which you choose, also has no bonuses or individual traits past the bonuses written down when you are asked to choose one. It seems as though the Roman faction is a starved historically inaccurate, melting pot of bad ideas. It is starved of it's charm from the first Rome game, down to an awful anorexic visage. The family tree has been ripped out of the game completely. There is no sense of a family at all. Beforehand you could see who belonged to your family clearly in a traditionally designed tree. Choose an heir, or even focus on specific generals to be successful. For example, picking active generals from the direct descendants of their grandfather. Since we're on the topic of generals. These leaders of men die out far quicker then in any other Total War game to date. This of course, is undoubtedly due to the very unwise decision of turns. One turn equals one year now. Which directly leads to the generals dropping like flies from old age. Not offering you the opportunity to develop them properly in any sense of the word. The women that they marry are thrown in to oblivion. In Shogun 2, a good wife offered your general a great bonus, or could lead him astray even to his death with the decrease of personal security I could have easily written down another few hundred words to max out my 5000 word limit, but let's just leave it there. All in all, the game is filled with appalling bugs, crashes and unpolished material. A black sheep to put it as mildly as I possibly can in the Total War family that does it's best only when it comes to ruining the family name. Personally, it is the greatest gaming disappointment I've had in the last ten years.
  6. Sep 21, 2013
    Confusing building tree
    Confusing tech tree
    Long AI turns
    Poor optimization

Worst thing is, armies auto build ships when they touch water. It is absurdly easy to attack a city over water, defeating all strategy about choke points and such. The Mediterranean is blue land!

Uninstalled after 5 hours
  7. Sep 21, 2013
    I was extremely excited for this game. Literally hundreds of hours on Rome Total War. Thing i loved most about RTW was that cavalry could actually be used as SHOCK troops. Their charge could smash light infantry aside and seriously hurt heavy infantry. In RTW 2, cavalry are next to useless. They stop on contact, don't smash through units, and have no moral effects. If 900 horseman are charging at a line of infantry, something other than a huge blob of crappy melee units attacking good melee units should happen. Also, cavalry are made even more useless by the fact that i have yet to engage an enemy army in the field (38 turns in). Every single fight is when I'm besieging an enemy city. And these assassins? Two assassins and a champion can reduce a defending force of 3000 down to 1200. How is that at all in any way fair or possible?
    Broken AI
    awful diplomacy
    No history
    Awful character design
    Generic units from faction to faction
    3 armies? Are ya sh*tting me?
    Awful naval combat and design
    Building a city is obsolete. Four or six structures at the most.
  8. Sep 22, 2013
    CA have released a game that is not even ready for alpha testing it is a disgrace they should be ashamed of this underhand deal literally stealing from consumers! the game is not even compatible with AMD's switchable graphics found in any decent gaming laptop. there previous games have been a triumph and have run well on my high end machine but this game averages around 5 FPS with blotchy textures this game was not ready for release and has not been tested on a variety of platforms and CA are making little to no effort to communicate with a large portion of the community who are still unable to play a game they have paid for! stay away from this title and future release from creative assembly! Expand
  9. Sep 23, 2013
    I'm re-posting my amazon review here in the hopes a gamer might be saved while CA and Sega might be duly punished for this atrocity:
    Listen now to the tale of a fool who pre-ordered this game because of the love he had for the magnificent original that debuted 8 long years ago. This game is a travesty and a bitter surprise, a betrayal by Creative Assembly and Sega of a loyal PAYING
    customer. Calling this buggy, half-baked, ill-contrived, ill-conceived, dumbed-down, feature-stripped pile of amateur code a beta would be charitable.The ONLY thing CA improved upon is graphics, but considering the LONG years between sequels how could the graphics NOT be improved. I am morally entitled to a refund though I know no such thing will be forthcoming out the Somewhat Creative Assembly of Incompetents and their corporate masters, Sega(means thief in Japanese). I can only hope for some poetic justice, like Sega in its entirety going the way of their console business and those responsible for this mess at CA falling on their swords Roman style for this failure. I'm out $60 and I'm uninstalling this from my HDD. I tried hard to play this game, I WANTED TO ENJOY IT. Do you know what I did when I gave up playing? I WENT OUTSIDE AND MOWED MY YARD. The game I have waited near 10 years for inspired me TO GET UP, GO OUTSIDE, AND DO MUNDANE YARD WORK. The developers are as guilty of stealing as the pirates. The only intelligent way to support games makers is to pirate first and then pay later, or bring back demos. Even if I had pirated this game it would have been a of waste bandwidth and HDD space. After this I just don't know where to expect anything good from the games industry anymore and maybe nothing good can be expected. Expand
  10. Sep 24, 2013
    lack of many important features present in previous titles
    - terrible UI
    - incompetent AI
    - poor unit balancing
    - lots of bugs

In short: The worst TW game to date.
  11. Sep 24, 2013
    I will do a donation twice as the R2TW's price to anyone who take Rome TW and mod it to the graphics of Rome II; same units; same administration mode; same factions; i mean, if i actually want to learn the true history of Rome, there are a lot of history books, internet sources, or even to watch to history Channel
  12. Sep 25, 2013
    I wish i could give this game less than a 0.

Forget the broken game, the quality of previous total war games that gave hope to an ever better Total War this time around.

The marketing for this game was so dishonest, so under-handed, so criminal. To say the AI is "better then ever before" is a grin of a lie, they knew it was broken yet they still said how amazing the game was. They
    released pictures of mesmerizing soldiers and landscapes. THE GAME LOOKS NOTHING LIKE THE PROMOTIONAL PHOTOS.

This company deserves to fall to its pieces and every liar within to be out of a job, this is what is wrong with video games today, and getting a 0 on a metacritic review is the absolute least CA deserves.
  13. Sep 25, 2013
    This game was advertised as being a cinematic epic with advanced "learning" AI. This game does not live up to those claims at all. The game runs very poorly on the best hardware and looks terrible especially when compared to Rome 1 Mods like RTR, Roma Surrectum and EB.

The streamlining in this title went too far and removes most of the challenge from the game, the veterans are
    overpowered and remove the reward from fighting a good battle. The tactical elements have been reduced to blob warfare, where combat multipliers do not apply and in general the game feels unrealistic.. which is a shame because Total War always prided itself on being realistic at least from a tactical standpoint.

The UI is terrible and by far some of the worst design I've seen in a long time. The UI icons are uninspired and nothing feels intuitive. At first glance I didn't even know where the techtree was.. versus Empire and Shogun 2 which I immediately understood where everything was. We're taking steps backwards.

I played this game for about 2 weeks. Managed to get to the endgame but couldn't bring myself to complete the game out of frustraition with boring battles where all I was really doing was watching the action. There's no tactics.. you can spam town centers and win with no issues. Eventually the game reduces to auto-resolving.. defeating most of the work the developers did on the game. The seige system is broken, there's no need to build seige equipment as you can just burn down gates... and its not as if the AI knows how to use walls.

The game crashed several times. The factions are rather dull and I didn't appreciate the Greek City States being DLC, when taking into account these being unplayable for new customers, this game lacks content.. If you install mods you're opened up to the reality that CA is cheating people, the content is in the game, its just locked.. they expect fans to pay for them yet again.

The naval combat is unplayable... I can't figure it out but the whole thing feels boring when it does work. I've lost entire units to some pathing bugs forcing the soldiers to abandon ship.

Environment design is dreadful, most of it you rarely see because the game is too easy.

This game is easily a 2.. its unfinished, its barely acceptable as a Beta, I couldn't get very many hours out of this because it was too easy, every faction felt the same, there's just none of the charm their earlier games had.

And hands down this is one of the worst games I've ever played, its not fun and its release is unacceptable, CA are a terrible developer and should be held accountable for the games they release. I'm just glad I didn't buy it.
  14. Sep 25, 2013
    Rome 2 is what you get when you combine EA-style marketing, pre-ordering and producing with complete control on the game making process. Rome 2 was made for the sole purpose to maximize sales and abuse fan loyalty. Any sane player will notice after maximum 2 hours of playing. There are so many corners cut. So many half-assed features. Barely nothing from the trailers made it into the game. Those were blatant LIES. Siege of Carthage looks nothing like the trailer. Even though the devs had the audacity to say it would look EVEN better than the video.

Sure, some may say that it wasn't CA's fault and it was Sega pressuring them to release the game, but the way I see it, that's all the more reason not to buy Rome 2. I have a hard time believing that Rome 2 would've been released had the greatest powers in CA objected. The impression I've had from CA is that their entire model consists of impressing SEGA as much as possible. They don't care about the fans. They know we'll buy the game regardless. Rome 2 is like one shiny turd thrown at the face of fans all over the world.
  15. Sep 25, 2013
    The AI is worse then any Total war game released, Critics must have played 1 hour and slapped a rating on it and then f*** off, CA lied about how great the game AI is and the game-play,
    1.FREE Ships
    8.still in beta
    9. Battle lagg
    10. Creative Assembly lied
  16. Sep 25, 2013
    This game at the date of release is in unplayable state. What's wrong with it?
    Well... basically everything in this product is unfinished and unpolished, that should be worked on for another 2 months. As a Total War series veteran this game is not fun to play at all. Even with AI difficulty on the highest level this game presents no challenge whatsoever.

AI is braindead.
    Optimisation
    is a joke.
    Multiplayer is stripped from all features introduced in Shogun 2.
    UI is messy and hard to get information you are looking for.

Creative Assembly is currently producing patches on weekly basis with questionable results. This game still got some potential left in it but if you though about acquiring Rome 2 you should wait for another month or two. After that time this game will be back on tracks hopefully.
  17. Sep 25, 2013
    Rome 2 is a soulless game. A dried and empty husk of terrible gameplay design and implementation that requires extensive use of community created mods to be anywhere enjoyable. The feature set has been streamlined to the point of anorexia.

The only redeeming point in this title is it's achievement in graphical fidelity, but this rings hollow when there's not really any solid meat underneath.
  18. Sep 25, 2013
    I really don't understand how people are rating this game a 10, it's unfinished, full of bugs, stripped down and boring...

What I can't forgive is the state that this game has been released in, fix the bugs and you're still left with an unfinished and poor excuse for a game...

CA really pulled a fast one on us. They've lost a fan, and a customer...
  19. Sep 27, 2013
    Too many bugs to be enjoyable.
    Too many features cut out to be a fun game.
    Too rushed to be playable.
    Don't buy the game in this state!

Wait a year to let it be patched and reduced in price.
  20. Sep 27, 2013
    This could have been a great game, but as usual, CA had to release a broken game. Usually one can handle the glitches etc, but this time its too much.
    -The gameplay, naval warfare, besieging settlements etc, though glitchy and sluggish, was manageable and still fun.
    -When waiting for the turn scale to rotate, it freezes. This makes the game unplayable as I physically cannot progress
    further.
    -The CTDs during campaigning and in battle make the game unplayable, cant continue or do anything without being sent straight back to my desktop.
    In conclusion, though this could have been a great game, it is ultimately unplayable, its CTDs and freezes make it literally impossible to progress through the game. That being said, since I cannot play the game, I will have to mark it a fat zero.
  21. Sep 27, 2013
    If you are a fan of the total war series you will want to avoid this game.

It was released fours weeks ago and still has problems with loads of bugs.

The game has been simplified and a lot of content has been removed.

The game is boring and lacking in any strategy. Seriously, there is so little to playing this game, if you have a pulse you can play this game.

Don't buy this game.
  22. Sep 29, 2013
    This score is based on the following:
    Pay to Beta test the game, as CA are clearly incapable.
    If you buy this game, you will become the proud owner of Dreadful AI, battles that last 5-10 minutes, mosh pit style battles.
    AND as a SPECIAL bonus, you get to pay EXTRA for additional factions.

All this can be yours !
    Buy now !
    Regret later
  23. Sep 29, 2013
    Having played for some 12 hours I can say with confidence that you should NOT BUY THIS GAME save both your time and money as there are much better uses for both
  24. Sep 30, 2013
    I played this game few hours. Historicity gone, Playability gone, Atmosphere gone, Logic Gone, AI is a joke no matter patches. I had same feelings from battles like playing old stupid Dune2, C&C like games. Rome I and even more Roma Surrectum II Mod is better game than this piece of crap. Maybe this game was crated by new generation creative assembly employees.
  25. Sep 30, 2013
    First of all I am (was) a Huge fan of the total war series Especially Rome 1. However This newest edition to the franchise is a huge disappointment it feels much like a civilisation game and the winning elements of a Total War game are now gone.It has been stripped bare to the point where the list is too long to mention.Performance problems are possibly the worst part. I wonder is anyone from the original Rome 1 Team still works there because it certainly doesn't feel like their work. This has been a step back for the total war series,Patches or no patches Expand
  26. Oct 1, 2013
    I'm surprised at all the dishonest critic reviews. Surely we didn't play the same game? "This is not an easy game and require a learning curve" What?! This is by FAR the easiest Total War game I've ever played and the only Total War game that is a complete walk in the park on legendary. It's a joke. Nothing but a rushed poorly optimized game at the moment. Depending on your hardware you will get pretty much the same exact FPS whether you have all settings on very high or the lowest possible settings. I will be honest and say I do like the concept that they had here, with how the UI was designed and innovative from the past Total War games. But besides that this game has nothing to offer in it's current state. The campaign map is still unplayable for some players, someone would be lucky to average over 25 frames. The player will normally dread ending his/her turn because not being able to get over 15 frames when waiting for over 100 factions (although I do like competing with a large amount of factions) is just a terrible experience. I found myself ending my turn and physically leaving to go do something in the mean time, it was that bad. This is all after CA's patch 2.0 (patch 3 beta is just a broken mess from what I've heard). The naval battles are still broken. I experienced a battle where all of the enemies routed off map but one unit couldn't leave the map. It seemed as if an invisible force field wouldn't let the enemy off the map despite me using all 4 of my units left to ram the unit (which was invincible at this point by the way) to try and force it off the map or just destroy it. However after trying to do anything that would let me just win the battle the clock ran out and I LOST. That was honestly one of the worst gaming experiences I've ever had, I just couldn't believe it. Another issue I personally experienced is that the AI factions will almost NEVER declare war on you no matter what you do. They possibly might have agents commit actions on you but never more than that unless you declare war on them. If this game was to be properly patched and all of the issues fixed (that won't happen anytime soon) the most this game deserves is a 7/10 bottom line. Expand
  27. Oct 1, 2013
    If you will buy this game, you will buy just a part of game: there are some stupid DLC. Is this a game at all? Of course it is not strategy, cause there is no strategy at all: not in global nor multiplayer. Multiplayer in Rome 2 is the worst thing CA ever made: it's unbalanced and not interesting. These british guys prove that they love money.
  28. Oct 1, 2013
    1.) The UI is dumbed down
    2.) The game is poorly optimized
    3.) Numerous bugs
    4.) Loooong campaign load time
    5.) AI is stupid
    6.) Balance of power bar is inaccurate
  29. Oct 2, 2013
    NO FREAKING SLI SUPPORT! NOT FOR ROME 2 NOT FOR COMPANY OF HEROES 2!!! On top of that the last two game you put out have been buggy, broken low qual games. I am never gonna buy another one of your games.
  30. Oct 3, 2013
    As a previous reviewer had commented, the current commercialized review system is very much like the American political system. The average persons desires perspective is completely ignored as big money interests call the shots. The end user is simply not represented in any real way. I have been playing the Total War series since Shogun 1, and my personal favorite of the entire series is Medieval War 1, which I still play regularly. Creative Assembly lost the plot with Empire, but somewhat corrected course with Shogun 2. However, Rome 2 is completely and utterly broken in every possible way. Glitchy graphics, abysmal AI, boring battles, and the strategic aspects of the game are incomprehensible as well as counter-intuitive. Even after a patch or two, the game remains frustrating and unplayable. This is, officially, the last TW product I will ever buy from CA. The most depressing thing about this whole matter is the fact that CA could have taken the exact, precise gameplay, interface, and engine of Rome 1, updated the graphics and cutscenes a bit, and had themselves a real winner. As an aside, the conventional review sites, Metacritic not included due to this peer review option, are making enemies among the gaming community faster than they might realize. Just as the internet is crushing the "main stream media" dinosaurs, the big name sites might find themselves obsolete if they do not clean up their act. Same goes for CA, too. Expand
  31. Oct 4, 2013
    DON'T BUY THIS ONE.
    This is the worst game I pre-ordered this year.
    Cappy AI and UI, Awful performance optimization, and bunch of bugs to make you angry.
    Give me my money back, you SEGA and CA.
  32. Oct 5, 2013
    City management is pathetic. Nothing to do! Technology development is for a 2 year old to manage. Increase food creates more squalor??? One year per turn and only one season. The enemy is tame as they did not grow and I conquered all of Northern and Easter Europe with 3 armies??? If there is a civil war early on, when one can have only six armies, where does the competitor get 12 full armies from???
    Then strange things where armies can sail seas without fleets and destroying fleets? What is the use of having fleets???

Just a bad repackage of the old, with no imagination or ingenuity, making this game a huge disappointment after 8 years of waiting.

Complete and utter rubbish.
  33. Oct 7, 2013
    Buggy and not finished. Gameplay is made much more simple which in these series is a shortcoming.
    I believe the next instalment will be playable on consoles. Battles are a mess. Either dont work or there is an orgy in armour. Everyone is mixing with each other. Dont buy or wait for some crucial patches. But as we all know, crucial patch maybe will come with the expansion and you will be
    forced to pay extra money for game which may be at last finished. Expand
  34. Oct 7, 2013
    there is no AI, ergo there is no game
    your save games will become corrupted
    pancreatitis was more fun than this 'game'
    whatever you do do not waste your money like I did on this game

this company has gotten away with screwing its fans for far too long as gamers we need to show them this stops here
  35. Oct 8, 2013
    Biggest failure of beloved game. What a shame. They cut from game best features and instead it's full of bugs and terrible design decisions. Pre-launch marketing were lies and this is disgraceful.
  36. Oct 10, 2013
    I preordered this game. (What a mistake that was!) First day couldn't even play more than 5 minutes at a time due to constant crashing. 4 patches later the game is still crashing. Just look at the size of the patch notes. This game was released in an alpha state and now the proud owners of this &*^@ game have to spend our time testing bugs for free... well not free we already paid for this game. CA had a 40% higher budget than shogun and all that seems to have been spent on some actor casted promo videos and videos of all these amazing features that are cut from the game before it is released. This game should be avoided like a plague in the state it is in. AI is a joke. Interface is a joke. Such a shame this game could have been so great yet it has fallen so low Expand
  37. Nov 1, 2013
    Huge fan of the series stunned they could go so far backwards in AI, UI, battles and campaign mode.

Game doesn't deserve the current rating of 76 on metacritic and it's disgusting to see so many review sites posted positive reviews at release. Never trust paid critics folks.
  38. Nov 9, 2013
    Rome 1 is one of my highest rated game, and there I was anticipating for how godly Rome 2 would be after the trailer with the graphics, but I spend 60 USD for this bloody piece of junk that is even worser than it predeccessor for almost everything.

(-) First of all, the AI is outrageously dumb for the campaign as each faction does not try to expand and tries to make alliance which is
    useless as when I attack one of them, the rest does not help. Also there are times when I attacked a faction with last city with only the garrison troops, making the most important aspect of the game crappy. Initially when they released the tutoberg forest trailer, I was expecting the campaign to have short cutscenes and evens such as the forest ambush.

(-) Next, the building and economic. Rome 1 building and layout was simply beautiful (Amphitheather, Cohort Barracks) with each aspect to building being really realistic when gave me a sense of building a great empire, Rome 2? Step 1, Building the god damn farm followed by town temple economy building which seems like I am playing a small kids game. The province system sucks especially which completely robs away the empire building fun.

(+) The only thing that was good in rome 2, The graphics for the campaign map, the campaign map for Rome 2 really uses high-end graphics, however the trade off would be how realisticness of the distance of city as each city is only 1 turn far away from each other and upon expanding it is even easier to invade a nearby city. Just a little bit of tweaking would make it perfect.

(-) I'm not a battle crazy fan so I wont go into details, firstly when zoom out the units looked more like bunch of black ants running across my screen than armies, I rather they used Rome 1 unit collision. Next is the siege where the same bug requires all units to climb the ladder before they are able to move properly.
    one improvement to be made for the siege could be to have AI controlling a part of the army to assault another wall to take advantage of multiple capture points, also multiple ladders should be able to assault the same walls and all tower should have peasant to should (killable) as the tower is like a complete rape.

Seriously this game seems like created by a bunch of who cant make game as I am able to list out all these problems in the game. Its like being promised to see heaven yet was given hell.

CA really needs the help of modders to save this game by giving them the power to mod the game. As for the AI this is my opinion that a randomising engine can be added to the game code in complement to the possible actions AI may take (lets say skirmishing has 40% success rate while going all out has 60%, the engine may choose skirmishing and further randomising causes the butterfly effect where AI uses a good tactic.

I am really interested in help this game become better but I do not have any programming skills, my strengths would be coming out with ideas to help improve the game, if I can be of any help do PM me
  39. Nov 9, 2013
    Best my game Empire Total War and Shogun Total War
    Rome 2 Total War not normal total war its another game. I am very disappointed that I bought the game.
  40. Mar 2, 2014
    Ever been in a chocolate shop and seen a delightful confection that looks like it will melt in your mouth in a gush of warm chocolaty goodness and sweet cacao bliss? You buy it and bite down and for a moment it is everything you might hope until you get to the flawed burnt out husk of bile and hatred that lies at the center.

This is that game. It's as if someone took a QA list of their
    bugs, packaged them up as a game, and shipped it out with pretty box art. It bluescreens, it hands, it has an almighty memory leak that could suck down the 7th fleet, units behave unpredictably, rather than embark your armies will take a world tour, and that's just the short list.

We want Creative to make good games, but they don't. They make early access games that might be patched into something playable. The concept is great, but it's the same concept from ten years ago and their quality and testing only get worse with each new release.

tl;dr: Give it a pass.
  41. Nov 26, 2013
    a TOTAL disappointment, completely revised UI, hopeless designation units, and above all, completely broken and changed for the worse gameplay mechanics, the idea of the automatic creation of the garrison is so nonsense that I do not know what to say. I have no idea what an idiot came up with all these weird concepts, but what was good and beautiful is gone, the new title is hopelessly BAD
  42. Jan 4, 2014
    Everything that needs to be said about the state of this game at release and as of now even with all the patches has been said, I can tell you from my own experience that the vast majority of issues listed in the negative reviews for this game on this site I have experienced for myself. This game gets a 0 from me for being worthless to play at release and for still being unfinished even with all of the patching and for the disgusting business practices, examples being the pre-order bonus, blatant false advertising and paid-off professional critics. Don't waste your money on this if you want a good Total War or strategy game for that matter; buy Shogun 2 the entire package has been in on steam sales for less than £10 which is great value for money and even scales well with your PC capabilities. In my opinion Companies like The Creative Assembly and especially scum like Sega should be boycotted into bankruptcy. Expand
  43. Dec 1, 2013
    Long time Total War fan I was hooked after hearing my first riveting battle speech on the original Rome: Total War. I recently just got back from Afghanistan, and was surprised to see that Rome II was out! I immediately downloaded, so excited to play the sequel to this epic game from my Childhood.

What a waste of my time and $60. And now? Now it's 50% off on Steam. I cannot believe CA
    stooped to this level, of pushing out this still After nearly a year beta product. And it's not even the fact that it's so Beta, but everything that made the Original Rome: Total War awesome, was completely missing.

Rome II is laggy, ugly, and not engaging at all. And my biggest peeve? No Family Lines? WTF?

If you have a $3,000 gaming rig like me, guess what, this is the only game that will make you feel like you're underpowered. But, you're not. It's the game. This is the most unstable game I have ever played on my rig. How is it that I can play 5 windows of Crysis II without a drop in FPS, yet Rome II literally slows me down to a crash within an hour. Memory leaks, anyone? Talk about great patching and coding.

Don't bother with this garbage, and I cannot believe Reviewers made this game seem so good. They obviously didn't spend more than an hour on it. And CA? You want a hint? Take what made Medieval II and Rome: Total War great, and make it better. No fancy laggy map, no linear battles, no kindergarten gameplay. Just treat us like the hardcore strategy fans we are. Thanks.
  44. Dec 2, 2013
    Absolutely horrible ruined my hope for total war. No family tree wtf. Also its Rome for god dammit it has families and such. Generals who cares which one dies or not. They seem to be replaceable chess pieces pieces. AI agreed horrible to play a 10 year old kid would have beaten the ai with some minor difficulties.
    Simple ui design made it look better but horribly more complex. They
    removed the tool tips had to spend most of time reading instead of playing Expand
  45. Dec 3, 2013
    Yes, the user interface is the worst of the series yet. Beautiful graphics are one thing, making the game enjoyable another.

Someone fell clearly in love with the unit cards, and wasn't slapped out of it by her or his colleagues. They make unit types unrecognizable, the army movement on the map is dodgy and so on. I don't even mention naval combat, maybe less would have been more?

Historicity is unfortunately important when I buy a game like Rome II I am pretty sure I saw Germanic ballistae. Maybe it's time to install Europa Barbarorum again.

To summarize disappointing on.quite a few levels.
  46. Dec 4, 2013
    50 hours of play on patch 7. The AI makes me feel as if I'm playing Risk against my 8 years old cousin. Fun at first but quickly boring. There is no reason for any of its actions. I'm not even mad about the money I wasted, I'm just really sad. I had really been looking forward to this. This was supposed to be the game that kept me entertained for years like Rome 1. Every time I think about it I feel like Obi Wan, "You were supposed to be the chosen one" Just Sad Expand
  47. Jan 10, 2014
    It is Total War game: +10
    Still bugs and horrible AI in patch 8.1 : -3
    Headless chicken patching policy. (for example formation attack button is a joke): -2
    Steps in game mechanics in the WRONG direction and unfinished/unpolish features: -5

Total Score: 0
  48. Dec 12, 2013
    Wow! What expectations I had for Rome II! Needless to say, they were blown to bits!! I played this game for 12 hours before I was able to get an Army strong enough to have my first combat! I outnumbered my AI opponent by 15 to 1 and lost hands down!! It takes forever to get to a scientific technology that allows you to keep the population fed and to expand the cities! By the way, I used the EASY mode for battle and gameplay! This game takes forever to do anything!! I have really enjoyed the Total War Games of the past, but this one SUCKS!! It is boring, long and drawn out, but if all you have is time on your hands then this game is for you! Otherwise, I'd avoid buying this game until the creators do some serious patching, upgrading, etc!! Expand
  49. Dec 22, 2013
    Horrible UI.
    Horrendously confusing unit cards.
    Poorly optimized.
    Fix the triremes.
    Where is my guard button.
    Make a unit card that covers half my screen.
  50. Jan 2, 2014
    Too many missing features missing in this piece of ****.
    The AI is even more stupid compared to other titels. If thats possible...
    Poorly optimized.
    Confusing unit cards.
  51. Jan 4, 2014
    I love the total war saga so much that I cant describe it with words. I have wanted to play this game for a very long time now and when it finaly released it was completely unplayable, lots of bugs and horrible ai. I have waited 4 months now for them to patch it, but it is still unplayable. I cant even play campaign, custom match or the prologue. I would say this game is completely unplayable even with 4 moths of patching. Expand
  52. Jan 7, 2014
    I have played the total war series from Rome 1. This game is the least enjoyable of them all. A big step down from Shogun 2. Confusing, boring, and uninspired.
  53. Sep 24, 2013
    It is really hard to be objective with this release considering I have played since the first medieval came out, and I have many many hours in Rome 1. With that said, this is the most disappointing game I have ever purchased in my gaming history. Not just because it didn't live up to the hype, it was simply bad. And there are many features that have been taken away from the other games which were good, and instead have been replaced by gimmicky crap. Balancing in this game is the worst I have ever seen in a total war game as far as units go. Bugs, horrendous graphics on high end computers. Passive AI and dull battles. I could go on... but at this point it is useless. Just look at the score I have given and that should be enough to go on from here. Expand
  54. Sep 21, 2013
    I found a site selling digital copies for 50 bucks, pre-order. Even 50 bucks was too much for this game in it's current state.
    Where to begin:
    The first thing I noticed was that the game's graphics, controls, and flow felt more like a console game than any previous Total War title- WTF? The best way I could equivocate it was the difference between Dragon Age I and Dragon Age II, whereas
    DA1 felt like it was meant for a computer, DA2 seemed watered down and felt like a console port on the computer.
    Back on topic: Graphics on overhead map or laggy and choppy- probably something to do with the animated clouds and random birds...dumb. Playing as a Roman the whole family/ruler/faction experience is askew and there is no explanation provided: You can't marry your leader and generals to produce offspring- in fact offspring do not come of age and join your ranks- just random dudes that become available. I had to start 'adopting' opposing faction members because my House Julia died out. A really disappointing aspect to an otherwise fun minigame.
    Diplomacy could have been great, but, has missed the mark. You may or may not like how conveniently a faction's opinion of you is broken down into a numeric roster- its kind of neat to know that the AI tracks all of the stuff you do representing your faction, but, I don't need a spreadsheet to explain why a neighbor doesn't like me. Something else that really iritates me about Diplomacy: You can only give a percentage of the money in your coffers (so you have 5,000 talons, you can only give gifts in increments of 500- wtf?)
    Battles in single-player are really, really buggy. First, I really like the new, true line of sight feature in R:TW2. I also like the combination of naval and land battles on some maps- the potential is really, really cool. Too bad all of that potential is eclipsed by stupid objective markers that earn/bleed victory points. So, strategy and tactics become very one-dimensional, and every battle becomes a matter of holding these artificial objectives- dumb. The game suffers bad AI: command a unit to attack another unit, and they stop mid-attack- you have to repeatedly order the unit to attack. Enemy units will run up to your line, or your unit, stop, and then run away (all the while getting whittled down by ranged units). When units break- they break in a straight line and are very difficult- almost impossible to eradicate. Unit stats are incorrectly represented at times- to the detriment of your plans. What happened to the complexity of battle found in Shogun? Geez. Btw, don't expect those great, unique General speeches at the onset of every battle- they're gone! The General says something inconsequential (and barely audible) at the beginning of each battle- you have to physically zoom in just to hear it...Lame.
    Missions are non-existent in my game: I received a couple in the first twenty turns, and not one since: I'm almost to 200 turns in my campaign, mind you.
    Agents have real potential to be cool- too bad all three types do roughly the same thing: sabotage and assassinate. I mean, don't get me wrong, each of the three types are supposed to do specific things, but, those things really aren't explained.

In closing there are a lot of cool ideas poorly implemented in R:TW2. Do yourself a favor and save your sixty bucks- don't pay for this beta in it's current state!
  55. Oct 1, 2013
    Got burned again. Told myself I'd never buy another Total War after Empire. Well, fool me once, shame on you, CA. Fool me twice, shame on me. I should have known better.

In short, a terribly broken game missing many features that I just KNOW are going to cost me £10 each to implement. Sega need their pound of flesh.
  56. Oct 11, 2013
    Pre-ordered this game in hopes I could play it with my bro-sef come launch in some co-op fun. We knew it would kind of suck at first, but a day-of patch would probably smooth it out. The patch never came. Long story short the lan-party ended in hostility and misery. This is a game that has caused so many gamers grief both emotionally and physically and deserves every gamer with a conceince and self-respect to deny these greedy f'''n publishers anymore of your money.

I recommend a title called Star Citizen; funded BY gamers FOR gamers. I can't recommend pledging some money their way (even the $5 pack called 'Shutup and take my money' [why i personally bought] is a good choice.) the alpha will launch late december 2013. The graphics will be crazy, the game will be designed by the choices gamers make, there is even a competetion started recently to design ships that will be purchasable in-game!

Plugging for my favourite franchise aside I have to say this game was the straw on the camels back in terms of respected developers turning their proverbial backs on gamers en-masse (Blizzard, EA, Firefly, Microsoft list goes on).

I am tired of listening to your wonderful promises and being delivered lemon game after lemon game. Enough is enough. You get a zero not due to the poorness of this game specifically but due to the context of an already gouged PC market.

For shame Casual Assembly, for shame. Another hero of the gaming gods fades from its former glory into an EA abyss of bargin-bin titles that gamers scoff' at.
  57. Oct 21, 2013
    Day 1 DLC, Broken game play, Broken AI, constant glitches, UI, missing guard button. These are the top problems of Rome 2. This is game is the worst total war so far.
  58. Feb 14, 2014
    No, I didn't play it, just counter balancing all their paid for voters. Also still upset at the BS they released that was called empire total war. I said I would never purchase a total war game again after I got that half off, and felt cheated out of my money. Only played it an hour or two tops and in one battle, I saw the ai kill its own general with its first barrage of canon fire, then had a unit completely freeze, and then watched the ai abandon its cannons to charge my fort with its cannoneers.

Well, I did buy shogun total war, when it was 85% off, and still felt it wasn't worth it. Within 10 turns I had by far the strongest faction, and within 30 I controlled a quarter of japan, and I wasn't playing on easy. Diplomacy was completely broken, I would attack a faction, then make then pay me insane amounts of tribute for peace, then rinse and repeat. It was supposed to be their best release in the last few years, and yet I found it boring, easy, and less complex than the original shogun total war. I felt it wasn't worth it, at 85% off.

IMHO, Creative Assembly needs to rename their total war series Total CRAP, which would be more fitting for their dumbed down glitchfests, which they try to sell for triple A prices after they pay for positive reviews. They managed to keep empire at an average of 90 from critic review, which has told me a lot about who not to trust for accurate reviews.
  59. Sep 16, 2013
    This game looked to be a new era in the Creative Assembly's star studded history. The pre-release hype, coupled with the amazing screen shots, and stunning CGI footage certainly seemed to reinforce this belief.
    Then the game was released. Not only did the single player campaign have bugs, but it had bugs that rendered the game nearly unplayable (minutes of wait time between turns, massive
    frame rate issues, and more). The game's AI is equally crippled. The enemy will hardly ever build a large army, and even when it does the army is comprised entirely of early game units, even 100's of turns into the game. The major factions, Carthage, Sparta, Egypt, Rome, Macedon, are all swallowed up by smaller factions because of the ignorance and idiocy of the game's AI.
    Battles rarely present a challenge, and this reflects poorly on the Creative Assembly.
    All in all, this game is a bust. Hardly worth your time, and you should only pick it up out of the bargain bin.
  60. Dec 8, 2013
    It's an incomplete game, buggy, with design flaws, and worst, a broken hard-coded core. This is something that not even modders will be able to change or improve, because it's the mechanics of Total War in the end.
    They should decide if they want to make a tactical real time battles game or if they want to make a strategical turn based map-based war game. As it is now, they try both and
    fail utterly.
    If you paid for this game I feel sorry for you, I sure grew out to Paradox games many years ago so I wasn't expecting any different from CA. Whoever played Medieval know what pain is.
    One wonders the appraisal this game has from "professional" reviewers. Were they paid?
  61. Sep 29, 2013
    Yeah....

NOPENOPENOPENOPECANCELCANCELCANCELDELETEDELETEDELETENOPENOPENOPENOPECANCELCANCELCANCELDELETEDELETEDELETENOPENOPENOPENOPECANCELCANCELCANCELDELETEDELETEDELETENOPENOPENOPENOPECANCELCANCELCANCELDELETEDELETEDELETENOPENOPENOPENOPECANCELCANCELCANCELDELETEDELETEDELETENOPENOPENOPENOPECANCELCANCELCANCELDELETEDELETEDELETENOPENOPENOPENOPECANCELCANCELCANCELDELETEDELETEDELETENOPENOPENOPENOPECANCELCANCELCANCELDELETEDELETEDELETENOPENOPENOPENOPECANCELCANCELCANCELDELETEDELETEDELETE
  62. Jan 18, 2014
    So, after numerous patches and Steam offering 50% off, I decided to get it. I've read user reviews so I kept my distance until now. So here is what I think after some crucial patches: Perhaps the first 30 turns are enjoyable and the it gets very boring. Almost like a job with no paycheck . First, the turns. Clicking the turn button is when you could go and Get yourself a sandwich or take care of other things at home.
    Since you probably have uncovered almost the whole map, you gonna have
    To wait a lot for the AI do it's turn.
    Once you clicked turn , you gonna spend an hour just to be sure
    That your provinces aren't rebeling or nobody sent some agents to your territory.
    This is what is going to be 80% of your "gaming".
    The battles will get boring, especially sieges, since they are still have bugs.
    You gonna try to auto solve both the sieges and the naval battles, because they are just simply awful.
    The game still looks nothing like they advertised it.
    It runs slow and you gonna hear your computer fans spinning up,
    While graphics wise, the game just don't look to good.
    If you have to turn down the graphics, it looks like a game
    10 years ago.
    The AI is bad, probably worse than the first rome total war.
    So you may play 30-40 turns and then you gonna forget about it.
    It's not worth a full retail price, that's for sure.
    As a bargain bin title, it may be worth about 15 dollars.
  63. Oct 7, 2013
    After hundreds of hours playing the wonderful Shogun 2, this was my bigger expectation this year.

And became the deception of the year.

After 3 updates, I still barely can play it. No crossfire support, horrible textures, bad optimisation, AI ridiculous.

I will forget this game and now returning to Shogun 2.
  64. Nov 10, 2013
    I'm giving this game zero because I think anyone would be disappointed playing it. This is especially true due to how the game was portrayed by its creators vs. how it actually plays on your computer.

The biggest drawback is that its graphic engine is highly inefficient and runs badly at low settings while looking bad.
  65. Jan 19, 2014
    It's a superficial game, without any history connections, without any sense. It has a lot of bugs, the artworks (expecially in diplomacy) come directly from the last century. With an i5 4670k oc+ gtx770 2gb oc the graphics in battle still sucks, but you need to install it on ssd if you don't want to wait 2 minutes when you pass the turn. The worst total war ever. Rome 1 is better, believe me friends. It's not a game for the total war community, it's just a s**t.. Expand
  66. Sep 30, 2013
    This. Was. Bad. Gods. Hell, even blacklist was less over-hyped and less riddles with developer/publisher lies.
    Do not buy. It will be in a 5£ bin soon enough.
  67. Nov 1, 2013
    Like most reviewers here, I was once a very big Total War fan. But since this installment I am no longer. For; 1. The state it has been released is just a diabolic mess 2. The AI is a diabolic mess 3. It feels really lazily made 4. What happened to the soul? I felt this dying when Shogun 2 came out. 5. All of this pointless DLC that's already in the game, but you want us to pay more than your already AAA title release price. I mean honestly in the previous installment of Rome, once you conquered a faction, you could play as them in a campaign. This is no longer the case, for you basically have to purchase half the factions at an incredibly unreasonable price (for e.g. 3 factions cost you £5.99).
    so my advice to people wishing to purchase this game, wait for an ultimate edition with all the DLC, that way you'll save money and your hair.
    My advice to SEGA and CA, please sort out your no more pointless DLC, no more 5 minute battles, do what you did for your old multiplayer that was way funner, and iron out the bugs before release.

ALSO DO NOT LISTEN TO THE 'REAL' CRITICS
    Who just are seemingly paid under the table to write relatively nice things.
    The game's a f*cking disaster.
  68. Oct 3, 2013
    This game is so insulting. I cannot believe that I spent $34 on this, luckily getting it on sale. Seriously, one of the worst financial decisions of my life. I was broke, but loved the first RTW and hadn't played much from CA since then, so I went ahead and bought it. The game is just broken. Technical glitches are not even half of the problem. The AI is so unbelievably terrible, there is no challenge, etc. I'm done with this piece of trash. Expand
  69. Jan 6, 2014
    Thousands of minor bugs that makes this game unplayable, every map every turn are lots of things that are not cleary defined and makes the game boring and untactical.
    After 9 patches all is a big mess, nobody knows if politics works or how it works!
  70. Sep 19, 2013
    This game suffers from a malady that only occurs when extremely high expectations clash with sub-par performance. The kind of storm that elicits thousands of "0" reviews on sites like this. This was not a 0 experience, but I'll have to admit that it was obvious while playing that the developers played it safe and played their deep recurring fan-base for fools.

-Gameplay is only pretty
    skin-deep. Further play reveals a disappointing regurgitation of mechanics that were aged in Empire Total War and have not evolved since.

-Immersion is non-existent beyond playing as Rome. My brief foray into the celtic tribes showed me repetitive map design, the same soundtrack, and ridiculous caricatures for unit sounds. Would it have been so difficult to create a soundtrack for each culture?

-Frame drops are frequent and render the game unplayable. I was able to move the camera freely throughout the battle map without issue, but the units were moving at what appeared to be less than 10 FPS.

Overall, a really sad offering from a team that could have done far better. The really unfortunate thing is that these are all issues that are extremely unlikely to be patched, as they seem like design decisions or corner cutting during the creative process.
  71. Sep 21, 2013
    I really wanted this game to be s great follow up to the original that I loved so much. I am pretty disappointed. The quality of the music is top notch. Atmosphere of the game is nice but so much is not working. AI as others have mentioned is 1980s bad. Passive and clueless. The game mechanics at the strategy level is nice. City building and technology. Battle is "mushy" phalanxes and barbarian both fall into blobs and mash up. No real sense of Roman discipline etc. I find the tactical game to be just run at the enemy maybe flank some but really in most ways worse than the original. How can that be? The original was so many years ago. Maybe they can patch some of these issues. I really want to like this game! Expand
  72. Sep 24, 2013
    This is sadly the worst game in the series.
    The unit cards are confusing.
    no family tree
    no skill tree
    Horrible release, too many performance and optimization bugs, greatest disappointment of the year.
  73. Sep 25, 2013
    Creative Assembly it up. If you are interested in this game you must know that you are paying a full priced game for a beta version with mant different and exotic bugs.

The IA is one of the most stupid ones I have seen, failing in so many different things that its predecesors could do properly. I have no word. As an example I will write about the siege battles. In Medieval 2 Total War
    the IA could use siege engines properly while in Rome II the army just smashes into the door in a huge moshpit.

If you are reading this, don't bother to buy the game right now, wait a few months when hopefully the patches will have fixed the game.
  74. Sep 25, 2013
    I feel deceived by CA's marketing. What was meant to be the greatest TW game to date is nothing more than a beta version of something big. They're frantically trying to patch this up, to no avail. The AI's passive, the optimisation is lame, only modders are trying to save this game. I just wonder how could the reviewers give the game around 80%. It's not that it's bad it couldn't ever be good because it's unfinished. Expand
  75. Sep 25, 2013
    OMG.... Big, Big Total War fan..... This game lacks Depth Lacks Strategy Lacks the feel of a Total War Franchise as they threw away the core of the game to make it more arcady. I like the region management and the graphics but that's as far as i go. The Campaigns are Boring, the diplomacy and 'in-house turmoil' doesn't effect the game or even matter. False Advertising and the fact that i spent 60 Euros on a Beta version of the game CA can wave goodbye to this customer... even though i'm sure it has attracted the new group of fanboys along the way. This is my last ever buy of TW or CA games....

At least when sim city had difficulties they actually gave money vouchers to buy a new game as an apology here CA said this is what is to be expected from now on "oh yeah and sorry for not warning you this was out strategy"
  76. Sep 25, 2013
    Broken down game..if you like to be a paid beta tester go ahead..if you like to teach those CA failers a leson w8 2-3 mouths before they patch the game to be playble and then buy it.
  77. Sep 25, 2013
    Rome 2 is the most obvious milking of a fan-base i sadly had to see, taking something so promising and completely and utterly destroying it like this erases any form of hope CA maybe tried to actually accomplish something respectable and propably got pressured by Sega. The reason this can happen is because gaming doesnt get the respect it deserves and the fact we let Sega aswell as CA getting away with this and they did, week 1 sales got more then diablo 3 wich is propably the most horrific thing ever happend to gaming. Expand
  78. Sep 25, 2013
    without talking about bad otpimisation, this game is not a good strategy game. Just for 1 reason, there is no IA, just few orders repeated in every situation. So no AI, no strategy, no game. Actually total war rome 2 is just a bugged graphical benchmark.
  79. Sep 25, 2013
    Rome II is missing many of the features that have made the previous Total War titles immersive strategy games. The game was released with a slew of minor bugs that should have easily identified and addressed in basic Beta testing. Really looks like CA forewent Beta testing to sell preorders and then have purchasers Beta test so they can work out bugs before christmas holiday sales.
  80. Sep 25, 2013
    Bought the game the day after it came out. Did not get the discount but the game looked amazing and the critic reviews were great. Was excited, then found because I did not per-order the Greek culture states (DLC), i have to pay 8$ to get it. DLC the day it comes out? Great start, worst was yet to come.
    THIS GAME IS UNPLAYABLE, no i'm not talking about the crappy battle flag system
    (youtube it), the glitchy animations, or glitches in general. I'm talking about not ever being able to PLAY THE GAME, iIcan't launch this game. Updated BIOS/VIDEO/SOUND/WINDOWS drivers and others, re-installed and installed. Nothing, game doesn't work, make a post under CA tech support website. NOTHING. Been over a week now and I have gotten 0 support. Save yourself 60$ and don't buy this game. You might be around the 10% who can't play, or you get to deal with this crappy game that had absolutely zero QA. If you seriously want to buy this game, wait till it goes on sale for 10$ at the next steam sale. I have lost respect for CA, and will not purchase further products from them. Do whatever you want, yet heed my advice.

For those of you curious, I am on update 3 from CA, still not able to launch the game.
  81. Sep 26, 2013
    9 is what this game should have got regarding graphics and gameplay, taking into account some good new features and the thinking ahead about previous opus flaws.

And 8 is what it should have got at initial release.

But -1 for awful UI. -1 for abandoned previous good features and some oversimplified new features built for advertising. -1 for non-challenging and bugged campaign AI. -1
    for non-challenging and bugged battle AI

/2 because it is unacceptable to pay so much for a beta test

+1 because CA seems to patch what players point out

= 3 over bugged, non-challenging and non-immersing game
    = release disaster
  82. Sep 26, 2013
    After the awesome that was Shogun 2, I expected the brilliance that was the original Rome to be brought up to date in a stunningly successful manner. Instead, I got Rome 2. Had this game's problems been limited to design decisions I would have rated it higher, but core design flaws mixed with crippling beta quality bugs drags the rating down to a 4.

Rome 2 automatically selects the
    graphics quality settings best suited to your configuration. Unfortunately, it seems to do this with unrestrained naive enthusiasm. I would describe my system as upper-mid range, yet the game unabashedly set my graphics to "extreme". The result was an extremely slow and jumpy game. After dialing back my settings until I was getting worse graphical quality than I did on Shogun 2 (which I could run at fairly high detail settings), I realized the issue was much deeper than mere quality settings. The game has not been optimized at all, as near as I can tell.

Even when I was playing on extreme (slow though it was) the game's graphics didn't look anything like what we'd been promised during promo videos. The battle of Carthage promo had developers promise that the finished game would look even better, yet we're left with something arguably worse.

During battles, I've seen ships sail through land. I've seen enemy units get stuck in some sort of strange time warp where they move at a fraction of the speed as my own or even their fellow units. I've seen towers captured by my own forces continue to fire on my men, as if I'd never taken them. I've seen individual men get stuck and dance around in place for no apparent reason.

Naval battles are so unbelievably broken. An army can apparently take to the sea by magically conjuring a fleet of transports, a design concept I could buy into if they forced the army to take a turn to actually construct boats. Even then, these magic transports can outright obliterate a navy composed of supposedly dedicated warships. There is no balance here.

Capture point battles are the most insipid design decision in a game that prizes strategy and outmaneuvering an enemy army. The AI rushes through you lines to grab the flag, and in a matter of moments your army still fighting desperately on the field is lost. Now, this has been fixed to a certain extent by the latest patches. But still, who thought bringing capture the flag to open field battles was a good idea? I can buy into it during siege battles, but nowhere else.

And, speaking of siege battles, that's all this game has turned into. The game was supposedly designed to allow for more epic battles more often, but a combination of limiting the number of armies and poor AI, it turns into constant besieging (which is, quite often, so bugged you don't even want to play them).

The much lauded political system is terribly, incredibly shallow. Generals die quickly, and you don't really care if they do because their bonuses are minuscule and poorly presented. There is no tech tree for you to look at, you have to read the encyclopedia to see where an ability will lead. There is no family tree, and while you supposedly have a family faction that you belong to... really, who cares? All they do is gather influence (in the form of senators that you can SPEND to do things?), do something with gravitas, and then you get a civil war. Big whoop. There are no strategic marriages, no continuing blood lines. Your faction leader dies, they pull the next guy off the street and put him in charge. It's boring.

In fact, the entire game is boring. The nuance that was present in previous games (and especially Rome the first) is gone. No longer can you upgrade roads or add defenses to settlements. No longer are there contextual general speeches that play off of traits or who you're fighting, they don't even pan the camera across your troops. They are an afterthought, if that. No longer are there agent movies, which were an awesome part of Shogun 2 and Empire (and even Medieval 2, I think). Even the original Rome had some limited in game movies!

CA claims that they had a 40% larger budget for this game. Where did it go? Live action teaser trailers and a marketing blitz aimed to get as many people as possible to preorder the game before we realized what a disaster it was?

To be fair, CA is working hard to patch these issues. But really, a studio with their reputation and with such a purportedly large budget should never have released a game that is, essentially, beta test quality with bare bones features in place of the robust systems we expected.
  83. Sep 27, 2013
    There is 10 max. points, but my score is 3 of 10, so there is 3 pluses and 7 minuses in this game. Let's start it bellow. Total War is my favorite game series, so I awaited many form the newest and the most expensive game of franchise. Creative Assambly have promised us a revolution, but there's non of it, and here's why: Pluses: + Great graphic. + Sea-land battles and landing operations.
    + Citys and campain map.

Minuses:

- NO huge gameplay improvments.
    - NO retreat(not running out) button and behavior stance(agressive, defensive and so on).
    - NO exiting, or even a bit verisimilar naval combat (oars don't break, no wind, etc.)
    - NO multiplayer features.(co-op campain for one faction, avatar map etc.)
    - NO optimisation.
    - NO product realise quality.
    - NO proper AI( stupid at battle, moderate at campain map, week Carthage.)

Сonclusion: Rome II should and would be a greate game, when CA'll filed off it's product and moders will improve it.

But, for now it's just an other new game of Total War serias, like new DLC for Shogun 2, with new setting.

3 of 10.
  84. Sep 27, 2013
    ai is mentally handicapped and turn rotations take forever those damn "critics" have clearly never played more then a few hours of a game or don't realize that you need enemies in a total war game not brainless ai that don't bother to attack.
  85. Sep 28, 2013
    1 for the try. Almost everything in this game is a failure. Original RTW is still playable, and this remake is unplayable after 2 campaigns for different countries. Perhaps because they are not different. It's just an illusion. Gameplay is totally screwed.
    And AI is just ubelievably stupid. Even newbie can win the siege in offence against high difficulty AI with double time lesser army.

Those flags are just ridiculous.
    There are a lot of other fails in that game.

And I'm not talking about all those bugs, that this game is filled.
  86. Sep 28, 2013
    Sega And CA released this game too early. It shows it is a mess and the A.I. is dreadful. Whats worse though is all the blatant lies CA shoved down our throats, this will be the last CA game i will ever buy.
  87. Sep 29, 2013
    Do not buy this game!

This game is in shambles. A complete piece of garbage with no redeeming factors at all.

This is not a total war game. It feels like i am beta testing this broken, half put together mess.
  88. Sep 29, 2013
    This game gets a 0 out of 10 for being the most shallow, and uninspiring release in the total war series. It's a dumbed down arcade version of Napoleon and Shogun 2 with little immersion, and dozens of features cut out and replaced with gimmicky stuff like magic unit abilities that you must repeatedly click in order to win battles (as opposed to understanding your troops, the terrain, and formations), glowing shiny effects all over the place, "streamlined" stupid Ipad OS looking User Interface where you can barely even see nevertheless read about the units and buildings and technologies you're getting, and a map that is basically a giant maze of pathways as opposed to an open world sandbox.

Combine this with the fact that the AI is so inept and broken that legendary difficulty can't even offer a challenge, and you've got a game that falls well below the Total War Standard due to cut features and rushed/careless production.

We should have seen this coming, since studio direct Tim Heaton bragged in 2012 about designing games specifically in order to get a high metacritic score and cutting features that they decided wouldn't contribute to that. For this reason this game gets a 0 from me, and hopefully that dude either gets his head screwed on straight or gets canned and replaced by a director that makes games for the players and longtime fans, not reviewers who will sit down with it for 10-20 hours and then never touch it again.
  89. Sep 29, 2013
    I love TW games but this game is at best described as "hollow". It is a shell of a game which no right thinking person should waste their money on. Simply put, don't buy it.
  90. Sep 30, 2013
    I have played since the original Rome Total War. I have many problems with this game. It had a ton of potential, it still has some. I am going to use bullet points so you can read this easy. I think CA made a serious error and will not ever pay for a Total War game again. This is a pump-and-dump game made by vulture capitalists stealing your money.

The fact meta critic gives it a
    77 right now is testament to the corruption for paid reviews. The game is unplayable due to bugs. Also, I have a great computer and whatnot- these bugs are related to the game and prevent play.

Main Problems:
    Campaign

-buggy, will crash a good deal, impossible to complete
    -the graphical interface has no labels so you must memorize what button means what
    -if you mess up with food by conquering a city that has none and you are low on food, it can destroy any chance you had at that game because your entire empire will starve to death.
    -every army must be lead by a general, of which you are given a limited number. These armies cannot be split which takes away hugely from the experience
    -in general the game feels cartoonish and there is not the strategy of the old CA games. The game path is far more linear.

there are other problems with the campaign but those are the ones that render it none-fun and completely unplayable.

Battles:

-Siege Battles are broken and very buggy and will crash games constantly. Siege Towers will move through walls, units on walls will not fight right, siege equipment for defenders will crash game if moved.
    -Capture points have been added to maps and make game play very silly. A single unit of horse can often capture the lone capture point on the map while the rest of your army is crushing the enemy. These are on land battles, not siege battles as in the old Rome. It essentially breaks the battles with these involved.
    -Naval Battles are very unresponsive in general and after the initial charge it is hard to get anything to obey
    -Units are not organized after a small amount of fighting and will form blobs. Unit formations are bugged. Many easy features of Rome 1 were removed. This includes loose and tight formations and toggle fire at will mode for Roman Legions among others.
    -Cav Camels in general are none-responsive and after the initial charge will not obey orders to retreat even if ordered multiple times.
    -Some people have FPS issues, I do not though. I have a Intel Core with a 580 twin frozer though.

Multiplayer Issues

This is what I do not understand most. Shogun 2 was perfect, all they had to do was copy it and they would have been set.

-Maintaining connection- I have a great internet connection. I would estimate that 70-85% of all matches end in a desync or disconnect (none-intentional) of those involved. Siege Battles disconnect at a near 90% rate.
    -Game cannot handle large amount of soldiers- they are improving this with patches
    -Global Chat gone
    -You must click to bring up chat box. When you start game it makes it go away and you can no longer type in it. So you cannot be "ready" and still type. which is frustrating in multiplayer lobby. I don't understand once again why it cannot be how it was in Shogun 2, and like every other Total War series game ever.
    -No avatar campaign customizable general/units as in Shogun 2
    -None-moveable artillery available for reduced cost needs to be removed from the game as it encourages camping and is very cheap. You cannot beat Macedonia if they go full cheese.
    -Maps are smaller than Shogun Two. However there are beautiful custom made maps for each city. There is a huge plus.

Overall I hope that CA listens to customers and fires the person responsible for managing this (I think we all know who that is... hint he ruined other franchises as well). They did a terrible job when they could have copy pasted multiplayer from Shogun 2 and it would have been amazing. The Campaign is currently a buggy mess and not possible to finish. Most stuff can be fixed with patches but the core problem is more that they released an unfinished product with a laughable campaign and entirely unstable multiplayer.

This game is borderline fraud do to unplayability. Most BETAs have more stability than this game.
  91. Sep 30, 2013
    Terrible, just utterly terrible.

They have dropped everything you would associate with total war and cut corners to the extent where the events in-game stop a quarter way through the game, conveniently just when the reviewers demo ends, they cut corners on purpose and sold a broken game to all of us.
  92. Sep 30, 2013
    Campaign AI is extremely passive. Battle AI is simply broken. It doesn't work. It ignores your troops and just suicides into you. Its easily possible to win with 100 man against 5000. No joke.
    With far lower settings than Shogun 2 I get not even half the FPS.

With the latest patch siege battles crash making it impossible to continue my current campaign. At least I don't have to look at
    the horrible Battle UI which clearly nobody tested on 1440x900 resolutions. It takes up half the damn screen.

I hope there will be an Achievement for participating in the Beta.
  93. Oct 1, 2013
    Rome II: Totally Casual.

Streamlined features, zero diplomacy, no family tree, lack of character progression, magical transports, complete lack of battle, siege and campaign AI, blob style fighting formations, 3minute battles, magical fire burning torches, zero seasons, 1 turn per year, awful performance on high end systems, monotonous and incredibly tedious campaign,
  94. Oct 1, 2013
    wow what a horrible game this has turned out to be gone are the family tree gone are the little assassination cut scenes it has a complicated UI the AI is the dumbest i have ever seen in a video game.I have a high end PC i see some people stating get a better PC well i have one and the fps are pretty crappy.Really big disappointment.
  95. Oct 2, 2013
    It deserved 2/10 on release day.

+1 for sound effects, and +1 for the lead designer admitting failure and apologizing to the world.

But one month after release, nothing has improved. So it now gets a big, fat 0/10.

When you play this game, you can actually smell the cattle farms. It's amazing.
  96. Oct 7, 2013
    Purchased this game on the 23rd of September and still having major issues with the game. 4 patches in and I feel like Creative ASSemblies should be paying me for beta testing for them and reporting bug after bug.

I CONTACTED STEAM FOR A REFUND. HIGHLY ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO DO THE SAME.
  97. Oct 9, 2013
    Rome 2 Total War. What can I say about this wonderful, magnificent, glorious alpha stage console RTS? Well, first of all, I pre-ordered it for $60, I waited an entire night and half a day to download it, and I eagerly drank up the first four hours. What happened after the first four hours you ask? I'd seen the whole game. In a day's worth of play I transformed Rome from a minor state on the Italian peninsula to the eminent power of the Mediterranean. I accomplished this amazing feat by waiting through two minute average wait times after turns, watching the greatest soldiers of the ancient world charge at skirmishers only to run away after seeing my infantry then get shot in the back rinse-repeat, and auto-resolving naval battles because ACTUAL combat ships only make a difference in auto-resolves.

The game has so many flaws, SO many flaws.

Let me elucidate. Here is the summary of an actual amphibious assault I launched against Athens, the city. My massive army of Legionaries, Velites, and Artillery landed outside the city (since apparently we can't actually invade through the actual port that has no defenses). I then found out that artillery can't take part in naval assaults. I don't mean they don't spawn, I don't mean they can't use their weapons, I mean you land them and then they do nothing. Their artillery pieces are nowhere to be seen (even scorpions which could easily fit on the deck), and not only that but they won't do anything. The twenty some odd guys just sit on the deck and take no commands.
    Anyway, back to the battle.
    So yeah, at that point I was thinking, "Well damn, how in the name of Jupiter am I gonna get over this wall? Maybe I can go through the space between the wall and the sea that twenty men could fit between? Nope won't let me? Maybe I could stand threateningly in front of the gate until the enemy army charges out? Nope they're nowhere to be seen. Well what can I d-huh? I can do WHAT?" That's right. Your REGULAR UNITS can use their magically spawning flaming spear/molotovs to BURN DOWN A METAL GATE. So I did that and it worked.
    Now of course I'm expecting the entire Athenian army to be behind the gate, ready to defend their home from the ravaging Ro-uh? Hello? Anyone home? Well I'll just march my Legionaries in if everyone's okay with that? Cool? Okay.
    I wonder where the-OH I SEE. There they are, they're around my sides obviously preparing to spring an ambush and crush my arrogant forces. Any second now. Annnnnnnnnnnnny seconnnnnndddd. Ah screw it men just charge.
    So at this point I just ordered my entire army to rush the first victory point. And, lo and behold, there's the enemy army standing there. Waiting for me. Ready to die for their really stiff flag that never moves.
    -30 seconds later-
    Whew, that was a tough one. For a second there I thought I might actually lose. Lose the battle? HAHAHAHA, no way I would have to have my guys completely disrobe and disarm and charge into an army of hoplites to have ANY chance at losing. I thought I might lose a unit of Legionnaires.
    Anywho, battle over. Now I'm going to go set up my army for a cool picture while I wait the several minutes it takes the enemy to get off the battlefield.

So yes. If you like winning and feeling cool for doing absolutely nothing except clicking your mouse and sitting for minutes on end, then Rectum 2: Total is the game for you.
    And I didn't even touch upon the Strategy map, or the graphics, or the turn times, or the diplomacy, or the unbalanced units, or the rest of the game really.
  98. Oct 15, 2013
    The intro alone tells you how hurried the game feels.

With a horrible UI, disgusting avatars and misleading difficulty settings, it won't take you long before you just quit the game in a bizarre reverse-frustration (you want the game to match the others, you want a challenge!) There are no challenges. You can beat the game on legendary without much effort. I really feel let down by CA.

Little things like the missile fire symbol which is now a crosshair instead of a bow and arrow just get to me. The unit cards are not very helpful, they all look too similar and break the game's atmosphere. Well. What little atmosphere it had. There is even a map called: ARSE! For god's sake! Errors like this just shouldn't happen.

It's a massive steaming pile. And I'm a fan of their other games!
  99. Oct 25, 2013
    -----------Vote this game down----------

If you have ever been a fan of this series it is your obligation to vote this game down so CA understands that we are no longer going to put up with --consistently-- broken products that take upwards of 6 months to fix.

-And the AI still sucks? 10+ years later? Hundreds of millions in revenue later? You still cant hire someone competent enough
    to make a game more challenging than pong? Modders can do it but your entire development team cannot?

-It only takes 30 seconds to create an account through your email but the damage you can do to CA's sales will last a lifetime. Make them think twice before they try to pull this ONCE AGAIN. A game that has any flaws does not deserve a 10/10! Not one bug!
    -Take a stand against this kind of robbery
    You can drastically impact CAs revenue by voting games down on metacritic.

-----Vote this down!-----

100. Oct 29, 2013
    Rome 2 is boring over hyped overpriced game!!!!
    CA plan and simple lied to its fans, i would rather not see them put out another game than something like piece crap!!!
    Sad that got all that money for something so broken.
  101. Sep 21, 2013
    awful diplomacy
    No history
    Awful character design
    Generic units from faction to faction
    3 armies? Are ya sh*tting me?
    Awful naval combat and design
    Building a city is obsolete. Four or six structures at the most.

1. Nov 18, 2013
    The game is far less polished than Shogun 2, and a few more patches will help, but Rome II is still a flawed game that is underwhelming when compared to previous titles in the franchise.
  2. Nov 6, 2013
    And here’s the rub: every addition, every sub-system, every mechanic is subservient to War. War is what Total War is really about. Everything else not directly related to conflict comes across as ancillary. Rome II is a game for warmongers, on both the campaign map and, obviously, on the battlefield. When peace is happening, nothing is happening. When war is happening, Rome comes alive.
  3. Oct 28, 2013
    If you will play literally anything featuring Total War and Rome in the same title and don't value your time, this is for you. [Nov 2013, p.80]