• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Sep 3, 2013
4.1

1. Oct 1, 2014
    Well after 15 patches I decided to reinstall the game and give it another try. I had given up on it after patch 4 if I remember correctly. Man they really FIXED the game. Thats the game we should have gotten back in september 2013. Very good game one of the best in the series. Such a same that they ruined by releasing it prealhpa and by doing that they infuriates millions of theirWell after 15 patches I decided to reinstall the game and give it another try. I had given up on it after patch 4 if I remember correctly. Man they really FIXED the game. Thats the game we should have gotten back in september 2013. Very good game one of the best in the series. Such a same that they ruined by releasing it prealhpa and by doing that they infuriates millions of their customers and lost a lot customers. It my third review , first two times I gave it zeros.. Now its a 9. Never seen sucj an improvement in a game everybody though it couldnt be saved.. Great game its worth buying Expand
  2. Sep 3, 2013
    The game is very good, but the AI is still the same every battle is very easy, on very hard too, so this is very disappointing the UI is disgusting.

Everything else is fine.
  3. Sep 3, 2013
    Finally got Rome 2 after a long wait. I am very happy with what we've got, and I know CA will improve the game over the coming months with patches and updates. The game is huge and people need to me more understanding when dealing with a game on this scale. This game will keep me entertained for YEARS. Highly recommend to any strategy/TW fan.
  4. Sep 3, 2013
    only played Rome 2 two hours this morning but it didnt take any longer then 30 minutes to realize how great this game is and how much more great i can be with modding and patching, far out weighs Rome TW so i think it deserves 9 thats not a fanboy score its my honest opinion.
  5. Sep 3, 2013
    So far impressed with the game. I'm not running into any problems with the load times. The only thing I find bad is the ui is very different from shogun 2 which I've been playing a lot recently. Not perfect but it's what I was expecting. Worth the money.
    Haven't checked fps but on extreme no lag. My specs i5 Oc to 3.7ghz, 660 and 8gs ram. Load times no different than shogun though the turn lengths extend because of the size of the game.
  6. Sep 3, 2013
    Total War ROME 2 it's just a deep beatiful strategy game like every other game of the total war series! Don't be fooled by the bad review couse it has some imperfection but WHATEHELL it's only the performance that need to be improved and some Ai adjustement nothing more! Keep it classic and buy this game because it deserve it. I gave this a 10 couse there are people that give it 0 whileTotal War ROME 2 it's just a deep beatiful strategy game like every other game of the total war series! Don't be fooled by the bad review couse it has some imperfection but WHATEHELL it's only the performance that need to be improved and some Ai adjustement nothing more! Keep it classic and buy this game because it deserve it. I gave this a 10 couse there are people that give it 0 while they have played like 5 min into the game and then they keept playing Ride to hell Retribution. You will love this game as soon you start the campaign! Expand
  7. Sep 3, 2013
    I'm a huge fan of the Total War series, and so far I'm NOT disappointed! The game is clearly a member of the Total War series, anyone who has played their previous titles will be familiar with the general gameplay. However there are new features in just about every aspect of the game that have been added, everything from province management, to agents to battle, that makes this feelI'm a huge fan of the Total War series, and so far I'm NOT disappointed! The game is clearly a member of the Total War series, anyone who has played their previous titles will be familiar with the general gameplay. However there are new features in just about every aspect of the game that have been added, everything from province management, to agents to battle, that makes this feel different from other Total War games. As a long-time fan of the series, I love the changes, I'm looking forward to a couple hundred hours of gameplay (I had 300+ on Shogun 2). Thumbs up! Expand
  8. Oct 7, 2014
    After the fifteenth "Emperor Edition" patch, along with the mods: Divide et Impera; GEM - Graphical Enhancement Mod; and Bullgod's Unit Cards, I am thoroughly enjoying playing Total War: Rome 2 and I do recommend it to previous Total War fans.

The game is now almost unrecognisable from the shambles that it was at release and I have increased my previous rating of a 4 to a 9.
  9. Dec 28, 2014
    This game has definitely improved to a point to which now it can be considered playable and also fun. I would recommend the game in its current stage.
  10. Jun 2, 2014
    Ever since the game was published, it was BS. There was bad AI, many glitches that really pissed off gamers including me but as the times goes, the game(patched) and became the best total game ever!!!

Go to www.youtube.com/user/lionheartx10 for awesome rome total war 2 walkthrough
  11. Jun 8, 2014
    I think it was a great game could be a ten but a few issues. AI is too easy not a challenge to play campaign. More diverse units and elephants and chariots I find to be to powerful. Campaign is good except for AI but the diplomacy and everything else is fine. I gave it a 9/10 for being rome total war 2 but for being a total war game I would give it a 5/10. I think that CA rushed this gameI think it was a great game could be a ten but a few issues. AI is too easy not a challenge to play campaign. More diverse units and elephants and chariots I find to be to powerful. Campaign is good except for AI but the diplomacy and everything else is fine. I gave it a 9/10 for being rome total war 2 but for being a total war game I would give it a 5/10. I think that CA rushed this game I still think they have potential to make the greatest total war game and the best strategy game ever, which I think their other games are. I think it has improved in campaign in the fact of how you manage everything, and I like the size of the maps and the tons of different battle setting such as coastal battles and such. I just think when it comes to AI and actually fighting it falls short and the other games to me looked more polish, and are much better to play fights on also I think they went backwards on graphics as well. It doesn't really deserve a nine I am just being easy on the fact that fighting battle are not fun and are stupidly easy because I think how the campaign works its an improvement. Expand
  12. Sep 20, 2014
    Although this game was quite bad when it was released, it has become a pretty good game because of CA's continued patching. I wholeheartedly recommend it.
  13. Dec 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really feel that the user reviews for Total War: Rome 2 don't give the game justice. Before receiving the game, i was well aware of many of the "game breaking bugs" and "horrible user interface" that people claimed the game had. I was also aware of the painfully low score on metacritic. None the less, i wanted to give CA the benefit of the doubt because i have not played a Total War game to date that i did not enjoy. I started playing and the first thing i noticed was the steep learning curve that came with managing your faction. There is far more detail in dealing with settlements (which are now divided into many provinces with settlements inside of them). Once I got the hang of it however, it wasn't too difficult to figure out basic functions that allow you to run your settlements efficiently. As for the actual battles, the game is absolutely stunning if you have a system capable of running it. Unless you play on lower settings, clone armies are no longer an issue with most soldiers having some form of variation from the others (this is particularly noticeable with the barbarian factions). The battle AI is not always the smartest, but still provides somewhat of a challenge. Overall, its not my favorite Total War game, but it is a worthy addition to a great series. I honestly cannot understand how people are giving the game 1's and 2's. Expand
  14. Jul 30, 2014
    Okay, I've been following the game for almost a year now. It was no doubt in a terrible state at launch. However, through continuous efforts in improving the game by both the developers and fans alike, the game is in a much much better shape now that I think it deserves a better score than this.

Yes, it's not acceptable to release an unfinished product and it should be criticized. On the other hand, however, if developers admit their faults, put tons of effort in improving and fixing their product, it should be recognized and credited.

I believe now with almost 14 patches and numerous DLCs and/or user made mods, the game not only has tons of contents to offer, but also performs much better and the AI got improved by a great margin(still not perfect, but much better).Overall I think this game, at the current state, deserves a spot in any RTS/Total fan's library.
  15. Oct 26, 2013
    Do i wish this game came out as it is right now (late October), all patched up and tidy? yes! am i going to hold it against Creative? NO! every gamer should understand the relationship between the game devs and the publishers! Sega says the games going to be ready by a specific date, and that's final. I'm sure the developers would have loved to polish this game to its current shiny state.Do i wish this game came out as it is right now (late October), all patched up and tidy? yes! am i going to hold it against Creative? NO! every gamer should understand the relationship between the game devs and the publishers! Sega says the games going to be ready by a specific date, and that's final. I'm sure the developers would have loved to polish this game to its current shiny state.

In short, all the haters should give it a go now that the developers had their extra time to work on it, its a marvelous addition to the Total War series, dare i say the second best (after Rome I)
  16. Jan 21, 2014
    Don't listen to the negative reviews, the game certainly had a rocky start, but 9 patches in and the game works great now. Combined with user mods the game is the gem it should have been on release.

I've played 285 hours and i'm still totally addicted. There are certainly some aspects of the game that I don't particularly agree with, like the removal of family trees and such, but overall the game is still amazing. Both graphically and game play wise.

People come on here and give the game a 1 out of ten because of one or two features that they don't like. They are reactionary titbags who think every game should cater solely to them and are only able to focus on the stuff that they don't like, rather than see the game as a whole and admire all the good thing about it.

Play on the hard difficulty or more and the game is truly a mental challenge that requires intelligence and good strategy, just like a good strategy game should.
  17. Jan 28, 2014
    yes the game had some problems in it's release! but all of those problems are gone. nowadays there are only some small bugs. the game is really good,the map is great i love the UI! one conclusion they Nailed it!
  18. Sep 22, 2014
    After 15 patches, multiple DLC and EMPIRE edition coming out (with augustus dlc) i would rate this game a 9 and best of the series.

True some bugs exists, but at the moment it has less bugs than any other VANILLA totalwar game to date. Almost all complains of release version has been addressed and even politics and civil war got major overhaul. Rome 2 is most supported totalwar game to date and i would argue that it is also game that CA has listened it's fans most(after release).

For those that have never played Totalwar game before, i would say that dont be afraid of these "0" reviews, those are just plain stupid as game itself is top quality and brings shame to many games that can be completed in 3 hours

Oh and there is EXCELLENT mods out there for everybodys tastes, easily accessed from STEAM workshop

Greetings
    - somebody that has played 1000 hours
  19. Sep 23, 2014
    As of September 2014, this game has been fixed. It is now one of the best total war games out there. Don't know what this talk of the UI is, it's the best UI yet, far better than the abomination that is napoleon. The AI has improved greatly, Far fewer bugs, turn times are short, the game is now much better optimized. Basically, it has followed the path of every Total War game sinceAs of September 2014, this game has been fixed. It is now one of the best total war games out there. Don't know what this talk of the UI is, it's the best UI yet, far better than the abomination that is napoleon. The AI has improved greatly, Far fewer bugs, turn times are short, the game is now much better optimized. Basically, it has followed the path of every Total War game since Medieval 1, released as a shambles, then fixed. Happened in Shogun 2, Napoleon, Empire, Medieval 2, and Rome 1.

The whole system with regions, and especially the building trees are a MASSIVE improvement over every previous total war game. The building trees make sense, as do the tech trees. The politics system is somewhat interesting, but I wish it played a far larger role in the game. At this point, pretty much everything you do in the politics system is to lessen the impact of the inevitable civil war. Don't get me wrong, getting hit by a civil war is a huge deal, but I would like for there to be more purpose to the politics system, some real and immediate advantage to having more senate support, and things like that.

I would like to point out that the AI in all the total war games has always been awful, and that it has been improving since shogun 2. Rome 2 after patches has helped it dramatically, as they did with Shogun 2.

A couple minor gripes:
    The tooltips need to have a slight pause on the campaign map, as of right now, there is constantly a tooltip up at all times, which gets really annoying.

It would be nice to have an easier indication of how many troops you replenish per turn, in the form of perhaps some sort of second color on the units health bar.

Wet ground just looks bad.

AI can still be a little derpy, splitting their army in half to chase your cavalry (exploit this heavily for fun and profit), as well as making basic, but idiotic tactical mistakes. For example, with a superior force on a river crossing with 2 crossing points, they sometimes leave one crossing completely unattended, allowing an easy superflank, and total destruction by an inferior force. However, these aren't gamebreaking, the AI works fine, It just makes big mistakes, that no reasonable player would ever make. It needs to make some mistakes of course, so that it can be beaten, but not the ones that just make you cringe.
  20. Oct 4, 2013
    With the beta patch 4 and AMD beta driver I'm pleased with this product. I will now pour count less hours into this game. It had a rough release but with all the fixes its up to snuff.
  21. Oct 24, 2013
    After all the performance issues, poor optimization and all the things people have complained about, here comes the fourth patch (more to come yet), and I have to say that this game is awesome. The AI is a lot better than when the game was released and in fact minor factions declare war on you (in the released game they didn't). In fact I'm in a world-scale war as a Roman, allied withAfter all the performance issues, poor optimization and all the things people have complained about, here comes the fourth patch (more to come yet), and I have to say that this game is awesome. The AI is a lot better than when the game was released and in fact minor factions declare war on you (in the released game they didn't). In fact I'm in a world-scale war as a Roman, allied with Carthage and the Greek city states against Seleucid faction, eastern rising empires and all the Gaul tribes. Battle AI is improving, and now is not always easy to win a battle. A month after the release I can say I'm beginning to have fun with this game. Hope you can say the same. Expand
  22. Mar 8, 2014
    People put downgrading ratings or wrote bad reviews because of the condition of Rome II's initial release; but after the game is patched, you will witness the Best Total war Game ever!

I started to play the game after patch 7 and I don't know the level of condition to play the game which that was badly graded by reviewers. So I suggest to players who still think the game with its early condition to revise their opinions about the game and start to play it again.

For the newcomers who have not played Rome 2 before, I strongly suggest Rome 2 with its strategical environment which has so developed diplomacy, different elements of warfare (such as raid, fortify, forced march), and trade that are all having large impact on the game. After latest patches, it is certain this will become your favorite totalwar game if you played and enjoyed previous ones.
  23. Jan 3, 2014
    I`ve scored this game a 10/10 but at the moment it is more like a 8/10. It has enough potential to score higher then that in the future. I`ve still seen a lot of reviewers given this game a 0/1/2 out of 10 after patch 8 but this is just absurd. Let me explain why.

Let`s forget about what happend at release up until patch 8.1. Yes it was a rough start but the patches did a lot of good to this game combined with a lot of mods that are out there on steam workshop. Playing the game on very hard/legendary combined with a few mods should be a good enough challenge for 90% of us.

I have a lot of confidence that CA will invest a lot of time and energy to keep on inproving this game with each patch. Some of the mods are really good when you know that this game is only out a couple of months. And a lot has changed since then. So it should be quite hard for modders to improve the battle or campaign AI with all these patches. Still there are some mods out there that could tweak the campaign AI so that the AI is a lot more challenging.

If you are a serious TW veteran the AI will still be a bit to easy at the moment but for the majority of us it should not keep you from enjoying this game. (you will still find enough challenge in multiplayer if you are that good). Don`t decide not to play this game based on a terrible user score (3.9 at the moment) It really is worth the money especcially if you could buy it with a 50% discount on steam. The game is enormous in scale and could keep you busy for hundreds of hours.
  24. Dec 25, 2013
    True this game had multiple issues upon release that made it virtually unplayable even on a high end system. However, many of those issues have been addressed including the AI. On occasion the AI can still act incredibly dumb but on other occasions I have seen it act very intelligently (it seems to be somewhat hit or miss). The graphics are on par with shogun 2 if not a slight improvement,True this game had multiple issues upon release that made it virtually unplayable even on a high end system. However, many of those issues have been addressed including the AI. On occasion the AI can still act incredibly dumb but on other occasions I have seen it act very intelligently (it seems to be somewhat hit or miss). The graphics are on par with shogun 2 if not a slight improvement, but trying to run this game on a lower end system would be a fps nightmare I'm sure. Nevertheless, this is not the disappointment many have made it out to be. With the recent patches and updates the game now runs much smoother and the game play is very enjoyable. Despite what many have said you cannot just fling your army at the enemy and win a battle, I have tried this and it will get you beat every time (unless of course your playing on easy) if you employ counter strategy and flanking maneuvers then yes you can win even if your outnumbered on legendary BUT if the enemy has enough or acts intelligently you can still lose. The new political system IS somewhat pointless because civil war is going to break out anyhow, you can pretty much just ignore it, but this doesn't really take away from anything it just doesn't really need to be there. Overall the graphics, unit diversity, good strategy by the AI in SOME battles (I still haven't figured out why sometimes it acts smart then incredibly stupid in the very next battle), and just the basic turn based/real time combat setup of a total war game is all there. Basically I enjoy this game a lot and have already put over 300 hours into it, of course I have put about 500 hours into every TW game since the original Medieval TW. This one didn't give a whole lot of new innovative features but it is still a solid game (now with the patches) and as enjoyable as any other TW game. Expand
  25. Dec 25, 2013
    Impossible to understand all these negative reviews. It is an excellent game, work done should have been immense. After 100 hours, I can state this 10/10 and nothing else!
  26. Jan 8, 2014
    08/01/2014
    Lots of bug fixes since the release of this game. You will find the majority of negative reviews were written before these major fixes.
    08/01/2014
    I was scpetical but purchased the game after the latest patch. Game is absolutely amazing and highly addictive. There are a few issues I have with camera panning etc which ticks me off and slight issues with micro management of units of the battlefield but overall quite a solid game.
    I'm new to the total war franchise so not sure if this is above of below their average.
    Would recommend this game
  27. Oct 24, 2013
    After all the patches i am glad to say that the game has come a long way and is one of the best of the series hands down. Don't trust the negative reviews sure they are still bugs and glitches at times that may be frustrating but they are slowly getting rid of them all bug at a time. If you love total war you will love this game. It brings epic battles and visuals to your screen that makesAfter all the patches i am glad to say that the game has come a long way and is one of the best of the series hands down. Don't trust the negative reviews sure they are still bugs and glitches at times that may be frustrating but they are slowly getting rid of them all bug at a time. If you love total war you will love this game. It brings epic battles and visuals to your screen that makes you feel immersed in the battles. The game not only has rich game play but accurately tells historical battles and story's from past time civilizations. It plays on the Athens and Sparta alliance against Epirus the empire that betrayed they to side with Persia during Persia's tyrannical reign. You can re-live ancient feuds and battles and raise your empire above the rest. How will you forge your destiny? Through Tyranny and Power or Diplomacy and Economy? The choice is yours, you are emperor "forge your path"

Try it, you will love it
  28. Oct 28, 2013
    I am writing a review to say that after 5 patches and 8 free factions alongside the original ones available, that the game has improved immensely. AI could still use more work (getting there), but a lot of the technical and performance issues are becoming non-existent with 5 patches and AMD and Nvidia releasing dedicated drivers. The game received way too many bad reviews at the start,I am writing a review to say that after 5 patches and 8 free factions alongside the original ones available, that the game has improved immensely. AI could still use more work (getting there), but a lot of the technical and performance issues are becoming non-existent with 5 patches and AMD and Nvidia releasing dedicated drivers. The game received way too many bad reviews at the start, everything was there, they just needed to patch things up, which is not the fault of Creative Assembly. Sega is the publisher and tells CA when it is to be released, no matter how incomplete it is. I would look into updated reviews from major review sites or other metacritic users to get an idea of the games state as of now, because it is amazing. Also remember that this game is moddable and takes advantage of steam workshop, mods are easy to find and install and can improve your experience tremendously. Expand
  29. Oct 31, 2013
    Release was horrible but patches have fixed most problems. AI still needs some work but for the most part the game is fantastic! I can understand people giving bad scores at release but they have no right to give 0's at this point or anything below a 7.
  30. Jun 1, 2014
    after all the patches and dlc Total War Rome 2 is by far one of the best total war games i have played. From historical accuracy to the vast number of drastically different factions and to the amount of detail in the game. I like many, had major issues upon launch but since then CA has fixed most of the issues and giving away free dlc for those who bared with them and stuck around. I amafter all the patches and dlc Total War Rome 2 is by far one of the best total war games i have played. From historical accuracy to the vast number of drastically different factions and to the amount of detail in the game. I like many, had major issues upon launch but since then CA has fixed most of the issues and giving away free dlc for those who bared with them and stuck around. I am very impressed with the game even though it started in ruff water. Expand
  31. Sep 18, 2014
    Apesar do lançamento ter sido uma grande decepção, muito foi-se arrumado no jogo. A I.A. do jogo está muito mais desafiadora e inteligente do que antes; Dezenas de bugs foram consertados, não há mais o porque de ficar se criticando o jogo por coisas do seu passado. Então nota: 10/10
  32. Sep 19, 2014
    After a year of the originl realese, the emperor edition is the game what rome 2 should been. They fixed the AI, all the bugs, the graphical errors and improved the performance.
  33. Jan 27, 2015
    Just like Rome wasn't built in a day, so was this game.

This is by far my favorite Total War game. Everyone praises "Shogun II" but this is in my honest opinion, my favorite. It expands on so much and has so many new benefits that trump the older games. Of course there were going to be bugs in the beginning, what does one expect? It's pretty much every modern video game company
    Just like Rome wasn't built in a day, so was this game.

It expands on so much and has so many new benefits that trump the older games.

Of course there were going to be bugs in the beginning, what does one expect?

It's pretty much every modern video game company does: release it with so many glitches and so many bugs, that at times, it's unplayable.

I have seen the glitches, I have seen the bugs on forums and so forth. And thus I just waited.

And the wait was all worth it.

I for one don't agree with video game companies doing releasing games that are not even playable and releasing it to the markets, but at the very least, this game was done with great ambition. And for that, I applaud them.

For in the end, it is indeed my favorite Total War in the series.

They fixed the AI, they fixed the bugs, and it runs beautifully. I have over 200 hours on it and still counting. And I will keep at it.
  34. Dec 25, 2013
    Dear metacritic, please re review this game. The release of this game was diabolical, however after 3 months of patches, this is probably one of the best pc games I have ever played. The graphics are beautiful, the game play is exciting and the blood dlc recently released gave the game a much more interesting light. If you're a total war or strategy fan, this game is a must have.
  35. Jan 2, 2014
    Now that it has been fix whit patches so it work fine, its a really great game.
    The strong side it also all of the mods so you can play whit new things all the time.
    Do not listen to all the haters, this is a great game.
  36. Jan 14, 2014
    To those who read the other reviews on release date, they did not have access to the free DLC (Nomadic tribes, Baktria) and all the patches they put out. The loading speeds are much faster, the game crashes less and the AI are smarter. The game is great now and all should buy it.
  37. Jan 3, 2014
    it's simply fantastic! people whining need to learn patients! I am sure all glitches and bugs will be fixed over time! And you say shogun 2 is good? In shogun 2, u get instant and constast attacks from every freaking side. Rome 2 actually gives you allot of breathing, to develop your city, unit's, as well as your researching!! i love this game!
  38. Jan 4, 2014
    I personally have had ZERO issues with this game. I've pumped in over 200 hours so far and still loving it. I have to admit, the learning curve was a bit too big from Shogun 2. But once handled, this game deserves all the praise it gets. Not the strongest title in TOTAL WAR, but most certainly a fantastic game.
  39. Feb 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Even though Rome 2 really put my PC to the test, the newest Total War game managed to convince me thoroughly. Its battlefields are as tactically deep as they are going to get, prettier than I would have dared to dream about and the new tactical options by land and sea are a welcome twist to this superb and quite welcoming strategy title. Expand
  40. Mar 1, 2014
    Amazing in every way. The amount of stupidity from people hating on this game because it had glitches when it came out is unbelievable. These bugs have been fixed. This game is among the best I've ever played, would recommend it anytime.
  41. Jan 1, 2014
    I recently made an account just to review this game due to the high number of rubbish reviews.
    I have always been a huge fan the Total War series with Medieval 2: Total War as my favorite game of all time. Now back to this game.

First off, as with every game there are always bugs when a game is first launched, what happened with this game was that they launched a game with a massive number of unresolved bugs, on a colossal scale, rivaling the number of bugs of Battlefield games. I played it on a friend's steam account and it wasn't as terrible as people say it was, it was bad, but definitely playable.

I recently bought the game in the steam winter sale for myself, as I am incredibly cheap and didn't want to play full price at launch. I LOVE the game, there are still a few minor bugs. I haven't encountered anything game breaking and I am 26 hours in. The game looks fantastic, it runs very well on a decently built computer packing anything at or above a GT630 or equivalent.

The unit design and abilities is what I see as their greatest triumph, in the past special abilities for units have been patchy at best. Now however, the unit special abilities such as Testudo for Rome and Stampede for Elephant units, are in short, sublime. The abilities have incredibly fast response times and noticeable affects on unit performance, all while not being buggy.

I think what angered and disappointed most people who got this game were the changes they made to how armies work in the grand campaign. Here's how it works: groups of soldiers can only be led by generals, which have to be picked, then there is a maximum of another 19 cards of units to go along with the general. there is also a set number of generals you can have based upon how many settlements and provinces you can have, aka imperium. So it takes a fair bit of intelligence and planning as well as a strategic mind to properly place your generals across the campaign map so you can both expand and keep your people happy, this took me a solid 2 hours to get used to this new mechanic. It makes for a properly challenging strategy experience.

I think that Creative Assembly (game designers) wanted us to think of armies not just as groups of units in which whoever has the highest number of armies wins but whoever has the most efficient and most well trained army wins. There is also a new mechanic of "stances," an army takes a certain stance which affects: defensive bonuses, upkeep costs, movement ranges, attacking bonuses, etc. They also made it so you do not need a fleet to transport unit across water features they can just move across the water as if they were a fleet and engage in naval battles. The devs made it so the general leading your army has a profound effect on how you army performs with each battle increasing his rank and allowing special bonuses for your troops based upon which options you choose.

The game devs also added new battle types: ambush, port assault, and coastal. I love all of these game modes as the integration of naval combat is very smooth and well done. I play a game with my friend where I attack the city by sea and he does by land, it is great fun.

The AI isn't half as bad as people say it is, sometimes they do stupid things or not exactly what you tell them to do. Instances where it is bad are few and far between to the point where saying the AI is bad as a reason to rate this game low, is totally irrelevant.

I think this is a solid game well worth a buy, it may not have been a finished game when it was released, but it is a truly proper game that adds a tremendous amount of content to an already great series that never disappoints me.
  42. Jul 26, 2014
    The game is awesome. I really don't know why so many low scores. I bought the game last month and so far have not seen any bug. The AI is not stupid, and the game runs perfectly. The campaign map is beautiful and sooo many features, totally complex. Well, 10/10.
  43. Oct 22, 2013
    This is the Best TOTAL WAR of the Series why many people don't like graphic are better than other Total war ...
    the strategy is different for each faction that why I love this game its a new adventure for each civilization
    and this game have a life expectancy
    Each Faction have something different

BUY IT if you have a great cpu
  44. Nov 1, 2013
    Don't understand the hate for this game whatsoever. I don't think it deserves a 10, more like an 8.5 but given the ridiculous number of 0's, I will give it a 10 to balance things out no matter how futile it is.
  45. Nov 4, 2013
    nice game. i like.nice game. i like.nice game. i like.nice game. i like.nice game. i like.nice game. i like.nice game. i like.nice game. i like.nice game. i like.nice game. i like.nice game. i like.nice game. i like.nice game. i like.nice game. i like.nice game. i like.nice game. i like.nice game. i like.nice game. i like.
  46. Jan 3, 2014
    Never played any games in the series. I tried to play the Fall of the Samurai, but it was too difficult to pick up on. Anyway, so was this game, but I'm getting the hang of it. I'll give this game 9/10 because in all honesty that's where it seems to be heading with all the patches. I was crashing left and right last week, but have not experienced a single crash for almost a week. I loveNever played any games in the series. I tried to play the Fall of the Samurai, but it was too difficult to pick up on. Anyway, so was this game, but I'm getting the hang of it. I'll give this game 9/10 because in all honesty that's where it seems to be heading with all the patches. I was crashing left and right last week, but have not experienced a single crash for almost a week. I love the game, except I'm playing on normal... lol. It's difficult for me still, but this game is enjoyable as hell. I just love the warfare.

This game does have its cons, but when I bought it for $23 on GMG, then I thought it was a deal. This game is worth my money. I'm pretty sure by the end of the year I'll raise it to 10/10 when it's optimized better. Anyway, I'm running this game on 4 year computer, but still looks beautiful. I don't experience that much frame rate drops during warfare, just for custom games to which I customized ridiculously.

Personally, I love this game and I don't even play these type of games. I think it's a well made game, but I'm curious to know what things they left out from previous games. Still, awesome game and will continue to get better.

I've never written review before... but these reviews of less 4 are ridiculous.
  47. Jan 12, 2014
    I've been a fan of the series for 10+ years. This game was pretty much almost everything I hoped it would be. I'm a fan of the bigger campaign maps, and felt somewhat hindered by the size of Shogun 2. This game lets you build a massive empire. Since purchasing the game, I have had 0 crashes, and with the patches the CPU turn times have been greatly reduced to the point where they don'tI've been a fan of the series for 10+ years. This game was pretty much almost everything I hoped it would be. I'm a fan of the bigger campaign maps, and felt somewhat hindered by the size of Shogun 2. This game lets you build a massive empire. Since purchasing the game, I have had 0 crashes, and with the patches the CPU turn times have been greatly reduced to the point where they don't bother me. The one thing with this game is that you need a strong gaming CPU to handle it. Most of the complaints here are from people who simply just don't have a good enough CPU to run the game so they blast it because they feel cheated or something. The battles against the CPU could be tougher, but honestly, it's not that big of a deal. I really think most of the people who rated this game outrageously low are the same people who complain every time a new Total War game comes out. As a long time Total War fan, this game is a must have. Expand
  48. Dec 11, 2013
    I think Plenty of other reviews will give you a good impression on gameplay, i personaly love it, something i just want to stress is that on its first month of release it did have serious issues with ATI and AMD hardware and over bugs but scince october they have been FIXED and now you kinda want to ignor people moaning about bugs and performance as they problems simpily dont exist. So byI think Plenty of other reviews will give you a good impression on gameplay, i personaly love it, something i just want to stress is that on its first month of release it did have serious issues with ATI and AMD hardware and over bugs but scince october they have been FIXED and now you kinda want to ignor people moaning about bugs and performance as they problems simpily dont exist. So by all means yes bad on the game makers but from a consumer point of view it is fine now.

One other point i want to make is that it has been optimised alot, when the game was first released I did find it slow to load on an i5, 16GB RAM and 560Ti (yes i know its not the best rig ever) but now the loading times are a lot mor eccetable and about halved too.
  49. Dec 30, 2013
    Now its a masterpiece.. I waited for a few months afther all the comotion about the pre beta release. But it was wurth waiting for. I love the game, always loved total war games. But this one is the best by far.
  50. Oct 18, 2013
    First of all. Just bought a "new" rig, not so powerfull, but rome2 works perfect on 80% of top graphics settings. No glitches, no freeses, works perfect with 4 patches, and looks aweseome (in a rainy conditions).

Absolutely awesome new features: + No army without a general (who can be changed), so no small packs of troops just roaming everywhere. + XP for everyine! Troops, armies,

Absolutely awesome new features:
    + XP for everyine! Troops, armies, generals, provinces, all are getting experience. Much slower, cause characters XP divided in 3 parts.
    + Legendary Difficulty, which is: only auto-saves and no active pause, plus some other difficulties.
    + Slow tech development. Only slingers at first and no archers, no superlegions and stuff. Reform your army! Unic tech trees for main civs although.
    + Absolutely brilliant changes into strategy mode like province system with it's building and few cities.
    + Understandable diplomacy with hints like "recent war with our allies 10", "gifts to us 10". Tnx Civ5.
    + More complex senate system. With bunch af random events and memorable random characters.

- Faster battles. Soldiers are running faster 8) so epicness is a bit lost, but it's ok.
    - No family tree. But family is still here.

About AI. Ofcourse it's not a human player, but there are cavalry through flanks, enemy units can break through your line, leave skirmish, regroup and flank you. Just lost a HUGE sea battle, lost 2 generals and 2 armies, recently took a city with huge losses, so AI looks MUCH better then anywhere in Total War (excerpt Shogun2 maybe, didn't played it).

PS. Played about 12 hours, half for a prologue campaign. So may change my mind. 8)
  51. Sep 27, 2013
    Rome 2 I love this game the new/upgraded feature with Greek Triremes ramming into the side of other triremes is captivating to say the least. One of the best games I have ever bought, though I wish it would CA would have waited just a bit until they released it so they could clear up some of the bugs issues but regardless Rome 2 is a testament to the Total War series!!!
  52. Oct 17, 2013
    As notas "0"s não correspondem ao que o jogo. As pessoas sente-se frustradas por não terem suas expectativas atendidas e avaliam o jogo de maneira passional. O jogo pode (ainda, antes de futuras atualizações) não se equiparar as versões anteriores da franquia, mas ainda um baita jogo e leva o meu 10 fácil. ;D
  53. Oct 24, 2013
    RTW 2 is a great step forward Simply 'RTW you go to war to manage your problems, in RTW 2 you manage your problems to go to war'
    The revolution is much improved. The only problems is where do all those legions come from?
    Its not repetitive to me, each war you declare must be panned diplomatic efforts made and unique new enemies considered. Its a little like being a CEO for an international coorperation
  54. Oct 31, 2013
    La majorité des bugs ont été corrigés, le jeu est stable graphiquement, les développeurs sont l'écoute et modifient le jeu en fonction des critiques sur les forums.
    La plupart des notes négatives ne sont plus valables vu qu'elles se basent sur des bugs qui n'existent plus. Le jeu en lui même est plaisant, le travail sur les unités et peuples de l'antiquité est juste couper le souffle. Les graphismes sont inégalés. La difficulté est la surtout en légendaire. Les nouvelles fonctionnalités donnent un coup de jeune la série.
    En temps normal j'aurais mis 8 pour certaines fonctionnalités bâclées mais vu le nombre de trolls sur ce site, le 10 s'impose
  55. Nov 30, 2013
    One of the best total war game so far, the game was released broken but now works incredibly well and is a well made game! The graphics are neat and the world is big, there is nothing to really complain about!
  56. Dec 15, 2013
    I've logged about 140 hours so far and love this game. Yes, it still has some bugs but is totally playable. I have a 3.4 GHz dual core Pentium (sandy bridge era), a Radeon 7680, and 8 gigs of RAM and it almost always runs smooth. Yes, the AI can be stupid but it was stupid in Shogun 2 as well. If you want challenging battles, play against human opponents as always.

I've run into a

I've run into a couple bugs during campaigns so be sure to save frequently (its frozen a few times while opening the diplomacy tab). Sometimes AI units will be untargetable and unmoveable after unloading from their transports. The bugs aren't a big deal to me (they're rare in my experience). Its still loads of fun and you can always play challenging human opponents when the AI isn't tough enough.
  57. May 3, 2014
    this really isn't that bad. I feel like the original is a 10/10 and this is 9/10 for a few confusing things, but overall its great. I think everyone just expects so much from Creative Assembly. I haven't experienced anything major in the way of problems
  58. May 17, 2014
    This game is VERY fun. I think it's better than Sid mires civilizations 5. And if u guys don't agree o well DEAL WITH IT! (I AM NoT talking to the crictics)
  59. May 19, 2014
    End Turn time takes so long to start a new turn .. that's so poring i suggest to put option in the settings to skip the far away nations from being showed in every turn only to show the nations that i have borders with it .. but in general i love the series of TOTAL WAR
  60. May 22, 2014
    I know it's been 9 months since the game released, I actually played it on launch and enjoyed it even back then, when the game truly was a bugged piece of junk. Right now it's GREAT. The grand majority of bugs has been fixed. Why are people hating on the game so much? The most important thing is: HATEWAGON. They read that the majority of people hates the game (even if they are simply lyingI know it's been 9 months since the game released, I actually played it on launch and enjoyed it even back then, when the game truly was a bugged piece of junk. Right now it's GREAT. The grand majority of bugs has been fixed. Why are people hating on the game so much? The most important thing is: HATEWAGON. They read that the majority of people hates the game (even if they are simply lying or stupid) and they just spit out more of their hateful comments.

Just don't listen to it. Diplomacy got very good in comparison to previous installments, you can actually make alliances now. In the previous games there was no way you could ever make a new ally at some point in the game. In Rome 2, you can pretty much ally with half of the world if you play it well. You don't have to zerg every other faction in game anymore.

Stupid AI? The only bad thing about AI is the sieges, AI is truly broken during sieges, it will literally let you slaughter its whole army with archers and will never move out of the city plaza. This is truly bad. But aside of that, CA made a major step forward with AI, in comparison to the previous installments. It's actually trying to flank your units now, it's abusing archers during non-siege battles if you don't have archers yourself (it just won't attack you until it blows all missiles, like it did in the previous games), it's playing well during ambushes...

There's literally not a single major flaw that Rome 2 has. People are just hating for no reason, maybe they expected Shogun 2.5, but the game is simply different than the previous installments.

Just don't listen to the **** spewed in other comments. If you enjoyed Shogun 2 or any previous Total War game, you'll love Rome 2 as well. It is a DIFFERENT game, yes, it's not the same old Total War, but it's a step in the right direction. I don't know if CA is planning to release more Total War games, I know they are working on a Warhammer Fantasy game, and I really wouldn't mind if it was similar to Rome 2.
  61. Jun 4, 2014
    The best strategy game ever.
    Amazing graphics
    Real great strategy possibility's
    Really good options war
    Although the diplomacy and building options aren't good enough
    I definitely advise you to buy it.
    and the game is hard enough to net get boring
  62. Sep 16, 2014
    This is by far the best total war game i ever played, the strategy, the graphics, i have played this game for about 100 hours never had a single bugg or glitch everything just runs smooth with a solid framerate.

Haters gonna hate
  63. Sep 21, 2014
    Emperor Edition released NOW, so it is not a suck game in this time

Fixed Unit AI behavior, Improved Graphic Optimization, Pretty many of MODs through Steam Workshop
  64. Sep 22, 2013
    99% of negative reviews are from people trying to run a 21st century game on 20th century hardware. It is very apparent from the posts on the forums that most have actually not taken the time to understand the game mechanics and how they work. Laughable whingeing.
  65. Nov 26, 2013
    This game had a failure to launch but after the patches I found this game the funnest game I have ever played. As a huge fan of total war I know of Creative Assembly and their history of AI and this has some but they fixed them completely. If you've played the others and than played this game you will swear this wasn't made by anyone related to total war empire. That's how great it is! youThis game had a failure to launch but after the patches I found this game the funnest game I have ever played. As a huge fan of total war I know of Creative Assembly and their history of AI and this has some but they fixed them completely. If you've played the others and than played this game you will swear this wasn't made by anyone related to total war empire. That's how great it is! you need to play this even if you don't like gaming in general because you will love playing this game. Expand
  66. Mar 15, 2014
    People really have a bad memory, the first Rome had a lot of bugs and issues even after years of patching. I played Rome 2 since the first day it got released. I was captured by it's beauty. A few bugs here and there but that's nothing new to the gaming industry, the only games that lack release bugs are those stupid action/cartoon(ish) games, mainly because those type of games leavePeople really have a bad memory, the first Rome had a lot of bugs and issues even after years of patching. I played Rome 2 since the first day it got released. I was captured by it's beauty. A few bugs here and there but that's nothing new to the gaming industry, the only games that lack release bugs are those stupid action/cartoon(ish) games, mainly because those type of games leave nothing to the player's freedom or imagination.
    The AI now is almost too good on higher difficulties, I can play on maximum settings with my new PC, the combat realism is much better than the old game or any other strategy game I have played. I don't get how a crappy game like Medieval 2 has a higher rating.
    The multiplayer is still kind of poor, though they implemented the one thing I always wished since the first Rome Total War, yet they fixed it and it works perfectly. You can even join in the fights when it's not your turn, this is something games like Heroes lacks. Waiting for your friend/enemy to play is a lot more enjoyable now.
    There are still a few issues, for example Spartan elite troops are weaker than before, the game is unbalanced a bit by this. The economy system could be better. Yet there are thousands of mods that can customize the game to your likes + they are still patching and fixing stuff. People should give them more credit for the work they are doing.
    I recommend this game to anyone with a decent PC and a passion for war or strategy games.
  67. Mar 27, 2014
    Good game after 11 patches. Don't expect to run game at high fps but neither does original. Game has a lot of content with DLC for future playing. Game has improved much from the original release.
  68. Sep 24, 2013
    A the first days i was dissappointed. But after the patch 1 and 2 and 3 soon i have less and less lag Ai is improving and multiplayer battles are most entertaining than ever ,Now iam playing unstoppable
  69. Jul 25, 2014
    I really dont understand why people are not happy with one of the best titles of the series. The strategy level of the game is really the best ever and the adition of limited number of generals/admirals a very good adition by far.
    Do not listen to the wining and grab a copy today. You owe it to yourself.
  70. Nov 26, 2013
    It is simply amazing it is one of the best strategy games I have ever played and now the patches have been released it now plays like a dream. I would recommend this game to anyone!!! Love it!!!
  71. Sep 16, 2013
    Great game, some changes on how the campaign map works (cities, regions etc.), which works nicely. Same awesome battles, now with astonishing graphics.
    There are some problems though, where some people (as always) cannot play the game from release. They seem keen on fixing this though.
    AI is a bit ambivalent some times really 'smart', some times amazingly dumb.. Really heavy game to
    AI is a bit ambivalent some times really 'smart', some times amazingly dumb..
    Really heavy game to run, as it feels like it was not optimised at all. I have only small problems, but I read that a lot of ppl have great difficulty even running the game. I expect this to be handled in patches.
    I believe they will fix a lot of the problems, though it does not seem likely they change the ai too much, as it is such an advanced part of the game.
    As with all Total War-games, I still love this title and must give it 9/10 so far.
    I understand ppls frustration and why the rating is so negative right now, but releases has been rough on all aaa-titles the last 5 years, so this should, unfortunately, be expected by now.
  72. Sep 17, 2013
    A bit problematic at first.However after patch 2 it became exactly what a strategy fan would like to play.Check it out guys for it definetely deserves the name of Total War
  73. Dec 13, 2013
    Total War: Rome II: I have been playing strategy PC games for over 30 years. Finally a strategy game released that meets my needs. Its superb graphics driven, required user knowledge of tactics and use of terrain during gameplay always keeps me on my toes. I have yet to see another strategy game with as good of graphics and smoothe gameplay as this. Also looking forward to all DLC thatTotal War: Rome II: I have been playing strategy PC games for over 30 years. Finally a strategy game released that meets my needs. Its superb graphics driven, required user knowledge of tactics and use of terrain during gameplay always keeps me on my toes. I have yet to see another strategy game with as good of graphics and smoothe gameplay as this. Also looking forward to all DLC that comes out 8*).

P.S. Ty for making this game
  74. Dec 25, 2013
    I really liked the game. Being a long time fan of total war franchise, i was really hopping for a big improvement on this one. Since i have only played the patched version of the game, haven't seen the bulk of the problems people had reported. It is a perfect game? No it isn't. But still given the scope of the project, and after you use the patches released so far, it is a solid andI really liked the game. Being a long time fan of total war franchise, i was really hopping for a big improvement on this one. Since i have only played the patched version of the game, haven't seen the bulk of the problems people had reported. It is a perfect game? No it isn't. But still given the scope of the project, and after you use the patches released so far, it is a solid and enjoyable experience. Plus, total war modding community is really active, so is a game that only tend to get better and better. If you like strategy games, this one is a good choice. As far as the game difficulty, none of the total war games is very difficult, or have a particularly smart AI. Mods usually tend to that problem. I have a fairly mid range rig, and haven't got the fps problems reported by other users. The same for the very long end turns, mine are all acceptable. I recommend. Expand
  75. D73
    Mar 26, 2014
    O jogo esta muito melhor do que estava quando foi lançado. A companha é ótima com novas boas diplomáticas apesar de não haver mais algumas como trocar territórios.
  76. May 26, 2014
    The game had a horrible release - it just flat out wasn't finished. Now though, this is a very solid - very fun - total war game. The size and scope of this game is just epic - right now this is one of my favorite all time games and I think it will just keep getting better. My only complaint is that the AI is still a little soft in battles - but on the campaign playing Legendary, it'sThe game had a horrible release - it just flat out wasn't finished. Now though, this is a very solid - very fun - total war game. The size and scope of this game is just epic - right now this is one of my favorite all time games and I think it will just keep getting better. My only complaint is that the AI is still a little soft in battles - but on the campaign playing Legendary, it's quite a challenge! Expand
  77. Sep 5, 2014
    Sweet and fun fun game at all! Forget about the bad ratings from initial users, because after the patch most issues has gone, making this game still the best game from all of the Total War family. The DLCs are great too, so buy it and enjoy this really recommended game!
  78. Sep 16, 2013
    This is the most amazing total war game ever! AI is now fixed, some lag fixes and better campaign UI.
    I think the game deserves more then this and if the people just waited for the patch the game would have a higher rating.
  79. Sep 22, 2013
    The release of this game was terrible....the game was close to unplayable this shouldn't happen with a total war game. however creative assembly has been working around the clock to get this game to how it should have been at release. the main issue i had was the crappy frame rates and the 5 min end turn phases. but now with the first to patches all the problems have been fixed and theThe release of this game was terrible....the game was close to unplayable this shouldn't happen with a total war game. however creative assembly has been working around the clock to get this game to how it should have been at release. the main issue i had was the crappy frame rates and the 5 min end turn phases. but now with the first to patches all the problems have been fixed and the game is close to what it should be and was expecting. the end turn phase flies by and usually lasts around 15-20 seconds or so Expand
  80. Sep 27, 2013
    On the day of release, and the week or so after this game was released. It was utterly broken. And while that is not acceptable. I am rating the game for how it stands right now as I type this. The game is now a title truly worthy of the Total War name. While it may not be as good as the original Rome, which is one of my favorite games of all time. It's diplomacy is still a little wacky,On the day of release, and the week or so after this game was released. It was utterly broken. And while that is not acceptable. I am rating the game for how it stands right now as I type this. The game is now a title truly worthy of the Total War name. While it may not be as good as the original Rome, which is one of my favorite games of all time. It's diplomacy is still a little wacky, the talent trees are a far step backwards from the well liked system from Shogun. Since the update, the AI is now the best I've seen from any Total War game to day. They invested significantly more money into the AI of this game than any game before. And while on release, it was so buggy that it was broken. The weekly patches have fixed most of the issues, and I've seen the AI pull off some rather intelligent moves. Like bottlenecking my troops between buildings when they are out numbered. It is a much better game than on release, where it was unplayable. But in it's state as of right now, it is playable and enjoyable. It still has some optimization issues(running on a 6 core OC i7, with two GTX 580s in SLI) and the game lags hard on any graphics settings (lowest to highest) with anymore than about 7,000 units on screen at once. Where I could do 15,000+ on very high in Shogun 2 with no issues. If they fix some of the few lingering issues, I'll raise my score to a 9. Because that's one of the only things holding it back from being great. Expand
  81. Dec 11, 2013
    I honestly have no idea why the user score is so low. The people who are writing reviews are either Total war dinosaurs or whinging toddlers. There is no way in hell this game should EVER have been rated a 0 by anyone. The game isn't perfect by any means, but it is still a top 3 in the series. You need to learn how to play, of course, and there are some design decisions that areI honestly have no idea why the user score is so low. The people who are writing reviews are either Total war dinosaurs or whinging toddlers. There is no way in hell this game should EVER have been rated a 0 by anyone. The game isn't perfect by any means, but it is still a top 3 in the series. You need to learn how to play, of course, and there are some design decisions that are questionable. But overall, great game, and a positive step forward for the series Expand
  82. Sep 14, 2013
    Sigh, normally i would give it a 7-8, since CA has the TW typical flaws integrated, weak AI and some bugs.. but seeing the laughable bashing this game get´s i´m giving the full 10, which this game undoubtly will be, once it´s finally patched (and modded), since the basic game is just great, varied and of high replayability.
  83. Sep 14, 2013
    Don't believe angry kiddies whose prehistoric computers were unable to run the game. Rome II is one of the best Real-Time Strategies ever and a possible GOTY. Creative Assembly fixes bugs very fast, and the game becomes more and more polished.
  84. Sep 14, 2013
    Significantly improved after Patch 2. Although it is clear that publisher rushed the release a bit, this installment is a step forward in the series with new province management, persistent army levels, and a massive campaign map. Music is bland in comparison to Rome 1 and unit variety between factions could be improved (some factions have a very small roster as well). Overall though, anSignificantly improved after Patch 2. Although it is clear that publisher rushed the release a bit, this installment is a step forward in the series with new province management, persistent army levels, and a massive campaign map. Music is bland in comparison to Rome 1 and unit variety between factions could be improved (some factions have a very small roster as well). Overall though, an excellent successor to the classic Rome 1. Also I created an account just to write this due to the ridiculous number of unjustified 0 scores. Expand
  85. Sep 15, 2013
    If you liked Shogun 2, buy it. I liked Shogun 2, but I felt like the factions where copy-paste, just reskinned samurai. Rome 2's factions feel different, the units feel like they have various subtle differences even though they're functionally similar. Overall, the conquest is scale is turned up to 11. More cities to conquer, more cultures, more environments. Great game, differentIf you liked Shogun 2, buy it. I liked Shogun 2, but I felt like the factions where copy-paste, just reskinned samurai. Rome 2's factions feel different, the units feel like they have various subtle differences even though they're functionally similar. Overall, the conquest is scale is turned up to 11. More cities to conquer, more cultures, more environments. Great game, different than Shogun 2, not worse, just different.

Also, I've had NO bugs. None. Literally none. No graphics bugs, no gameplay bugs, no AI bugs. Nothing. Only issue is non-optimized textures for my graphics card. But every game CA released has had something along those lines. And the DLC is whatever. Its a business practice, and it works, if you don't want to spend the money just wait. Not like its going away.

All-in-all I'm happy with CA, they've responded within the week and from all looks the beta patch is improving performance on machines across the board and improving the AI's tactics. Wait to buy the game if you want great textures and cheaper dlc.
  86. Sep 20, 2013
    Had a bit of bugs in the start of the game but now its great. The province system and come back to roman times make it great. Problems with the AI are still here but they will fix it like np.
  87. Sep 3, 2013
    Ave Caesar, morituri te salutant! I'm Italian and very fond of roman history. This game is a true masterpiece from all points of view: great graphics, outstanding gameplay, detailed customization, impressive environments, terrific involvement. Only one game before this made me dream so much and it was Skyrim. Total War: Rome 2 is a must buy. One of the best PC games of all times.
  88. Sep 22, 2013
    I'm really not sure about all the negativity surrounding this release. I paid for the pre-release and have been happy with what's been delivered. I don't drop a frame on my older i7 with it's ASUS 6950 which is a Radeon card. I also run a newer i5-3570 with a GeForce GTX660 and that obviously also doesn't have an issue. The game itself has lots of atmosphere and the feel of theI'm really not sure about all the negativity surrounding this release. I paid for the pre-release and have been happy with what's been delivered. I don't drop a frame on my older i7 with it's ASUS 6950 which is a Radeon card. I also run a newer i5-3570 with a GeForce GTX660 and that obviously also doesn't have an issue. The game itself has lots of atmosphere and the feel of the original Rome game. The map is bigger by way of there being more regions per geographical location. The Graphics are better and look great especially pretty are the trees I think. I believe that the game suffers from enormously high expectations if there had been no expectations then this game would be sitting with a User Score of 8.5-10 at the moment. If you loved Rome you will love this Rome2. Multiplayer with a friend is actually awesome you can share units and help in one another's fights!!!. There are also some great community mods out there at the moment and you can kinda change anything you want about the balance of the game via these (they work in co-operative play too). I love this game! Expand
  89. Sep 22, 2013
    Keep in mind that people with problems are vocal then don't comment when it's fixed later. Frame rates are good game looks great on lower settings and runs great on a ATI6950, a GTX660 and my main GTX670 (all on high or above on the 670). The AI has already been fixed (even better with mods like Radious mod mods are very easy to install/uninstall) and does some really cool moves onKeep in mind that people with problems are vocal then don't comment when it's fixed later. Frame rates are good game looks great on lower settings and runs great on a ATI6950, a GTX660 and my main GTX670 (all on high or above on the 670). The AI has already been fixed (even better with mods like Radious mod mods are very easy to install/uninstall) and does some really cool moves on the battlefield. I recommend easy or normal as the AI gets an annoying attack and health boost in battles above there (I like 1:1 no advantage on individual units). Coop netcode is superb and playing LAN coop all weekend awsome. Expand
  90. Sep 15, 2013
    Ok people, what's with the 0s 1s & 2s??

Yes the optimization is NOT stellar, neither is the AI, nor are the game mechanics perfect; but Rome2 is not the complete mess that warrants near 0 ratings. UI Seems to be designed for a screen resolution of *at least* 1920*1080 Performance On a solo GTX 670 I set everything to "Very High" and am frame locked at 60 FPS in battles, round 30
    Ok people, what's with the 0s 1s & 2s??

UI Seems to be designed for a screen resolution of *at least* 1920*1080

Performance On a solo GTX 670 I set everything to "Very High" and am frame locked at 60 FPS in battles, round 30 fps on the campaign map.

AI Well it still is pretty dumb, but It does seem to be more tactical on the campaign map, like I realized it does not attack cities where my armies are but instead tries to attack the relatively undefended ones.

Not a 10/10 but its not a 0/10 either; I give it a 8/10 in the current state, 9/10 after patches.
  91. Sep 4, 2013
    So far I think this is a fantastic game and in many ways an improvement over previous titles. The AI is much improved, the UI is much more streamlined. The game feels like the original Rome. I can only imagine how great this game will be after a few patches and further optimizations.

Just remember, there are hundreds of thousands of people happily playing this. There will always be a minority raging about issues that they have.
  92. Mar 15, 2014
    I have to agree, the game was horrible on release, but with the patches and DLCs, it is without a doubt the best grand strategy game of 2013. Why I gave it 9 instead of 10 is because some features have been stripped, the most noticeable is the family tree. But if I look past all that, the game is a masterpiece.
  93. Sep 17, 2013
    I haven't seen any of the launch problems, and since I can play it, I have been able to enjoy the rare wonder that is this game. The game looks great, plays great, manages great... it just does everything right.
  94. Sep 3, 2013
    Amazing game.. and a truly masterpiece in my opinion.Graphic ist awesome and the gameplay feels very smooth there are minor issues but nothing serious
    Believe the Hype!!
  95. Feb 18, 2014
    I am a pretty big fan of the Total War series, and I do not see why so many people are giving this game less than a five. I have personally experienced only a few glitches and some minor lag. Besides the minor technical problems, the actual game itself is very entertaining and expansive. The map is huge, there are dozens of different, unique faction, including several you can play as, andI am a pretty big fan of the Total War series, and I do not see why so many people are giving this game less than a five. I have personally experienced only a few glitches and some minor lag. Besides the minor technical problems, the actual game itself is very entertaining and expansive. The map is huge, there are dozens of different, unique faction, including several you can play as, and the battles are detailed and fun. I understand if it is not worth in the $50-60 range for some people, but it is definitely a quality game. Expand
  96. Sep 3, 2013
    Oh no. If your using your apple gaming pc, you can't or even be allowed to rate this Incredible game.
    Look I'll make it real simple... If you are trying to play this game on a old school pc, don't even bother.
    You need a real PC with a real gaming card, memory and get ready to Overclock your PC.
    10/10 awesome game.
  97. Sep 3, 2013
    Awesome awesome awesome I love everything about this game from land grab to real time battles now the only reason a lot of people don't like this is because they have 10 year old pos pc's I only have a radeon 7870 oc edition and I run at high settings with 61 avg fps on the benchmark so I'm certain the game is properly optimized.
    Anyway if you have a decent pc you will like this
  98. Sep 15, 2013
    This game deserves a much better rating than the current 3.7. I really don't get the 0/10 ratings. IMO I can't see how ANY game could ever get a lower than 1/10 rating, and then we are still talking about an extreeme case.

Anyway, I think the game overall delivers what I expected from it. Of couse it has some optimization issues and bugs, like many major releases in the last couple of years, and especially Total War games lately. However CA and SEGA usually works very hard to fix these issues which can only explain how E:TW and Shogun 2:TW became such massive success, considering their horrible releases.

I especially like the ideas behind the public order squalor system. It just needs some rebalancing which CA has informed will come in the next patch. I also like that cities are have multiple capture points. Instead of just one where the enemy would stack all its units. I also like that artillery is finally so good that they are an important part of my army, and not just a unit used to take down a wall. It can actually apply serious damage to an army now.

Furthermore ROME 2:TW delivers what I really missed in ROME:TW: A much richer unit roster. In the first Rome there were basically only 5-10 units apart from the Roman and Carthaginian empire that made up all other factions roaster. In ROME 2 it is much more diverse, or atleast feels that way.

I have played the game for 40+ hours now and can only recommend it. 8/10. The last two is to counter all the 0/10 ratings that makes no sense.
  99. Sep 15, 2013
    The amount of whining and rage here is unbelievable. A triple A PC game having bugs on launch is normal, and fixed within weeks (the latest patch has fixed a ridiculous amount of glaring bugs like campaign AI). A "bad game" is inherently flawed in some way. Rome II is most certainly not a bad game. Rome II is a excellent videogame.
  100. Sep 3, 2013
    I opened an account just to post this review.

First off, don't listen to the people complaining about bad graphics, it's just a bug and actually while playing it seemed to get a bit better. Second, the map is gigantic, I am lost in how complex this game is, in a good way. This game is just as good as my favorite, Medieval 2 Total War, maybe even better, because I didn't even get to
    I opened an account just to post this review.

Second, the map is gigantic, I am lost in how complex this game is, in a good way. This game is just as good as my favorite, Medieval 2 Total War, maybe even better, because I didn't even get to discover much of it.

Third, why complain about the DLC? it's meant for people who didn't pre-order and might want the Greek States. They have to make some sort of profit, and also, if this DLC wasn't made at all the staff would have to be laid off because in the pre-release phase they're doing nothing and not getting paid, so this so called "horrible" day one DLC actually saves them. Plus, you don't have to buy the DLC, if you think it's so meaningless there's no reason for you to get it at all, so you shouldn't give the game a 0 because of that, especially if you didn't even buy it.

1. Nov 18, 2013
    The game is far less polished than Shogun 2, and a few more patches will help, but Rome II is still a flawed game that is underwhelming when compared to previous titles in the franchise.
  2. Nov 6, 2013
    And here’s the rub: every addition, every sub-system, every mechanic is subservient to War. War is what Total War is really about. Everything else not directly related to conflict comes across as ancillary. Rome II is a game for warmongers, on both the campaign map and, obviously, on the battlefield. When peace is happening, nothing is happening. When war is happening, Rome comes alive.
  3. Oct 28, 2013
    If you will play literally anything featuring Total War and Rome in the same title and don't value your time, this is for you. [Nov 2013, p.80]