Total War: Rome II PC

• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Sep 3, 2013
4.1

1. Mar 27, 2015
    As a casual console gamers, I never like total war series because it is too complicated. I greatly appreciate the efforts of CA made for this sequel. It removes those complex features in previous installments. This enhances its accessibility to console players. The battle is fluid and fast-pacing, creating a lot of fun.

The series has stepped in right direction and have won a lot of

The series has stepped in right direction and have won a lot of favors from console gamers. In the future, I hope CA can shift their focus towards console market, making console oriented total war games should be their primary focus. I also suggest adding first-person control mode of units just like Company of Heroes, so gamers can enjoy the epic feeling of Call of Duty in Total War series as well. Any in-game DLC notification system and pay-to-win mechanism are also welcome addition.
  2. Sep 9, 2013
    Bugs and some game play issues aside at the moment this game will grow with patches. So that's why I gave it a genorous 8. Long time Total War fan since Shogun 1 but Rome 2 is more than just war and that might put some fans of previous titles off?
  3. Sep 3, 2013
    The game is very good, but the AI is still the same every battle is very easy, on very hard too, so this is very disappointing the UI is disgusting.

Everything else is fine.
  4. Sep 3, 2013
    A great game, but not the masterpiece it could have been. A little bit less marketing and a little more AI development could have cured the blemishes of previous Total War games, but unfortunately this is not the case. A beautiful and incredibly performance heavy game that will hopefully come into its own as patches and optimisation occurs. While I feel that the Total War series and Rome 2A great game, but not the masterpiece it could have been. A little bit less marketing and a little more AI development could have cured the blemishes of previous Total War games, but unfortunately this is not the case. A beautiful and incredibly performance heavy game that will hopefully come into its own as patches and optimisation occurs. While I feel that the Total War series and Rome 2 too indeed comes a long way there are niggling bugs that seem to re-occur every iteration. Nonetheless, Rome 2 provides a deep, intuitive and sometimes intimidating addition to the impressive Total War series. Some reviewers, compare the RTS and Turn-Based features to the Civilizations or Starcrafts of this genre, we should remember that Total War has its own unique place in strategy games and fills a vital niche that only CA has filled. Rome 2 was not built in a day and the workmanship put into the soldiers, variety of units and animations show this, but several more of these days should have been spent on the AI, which I'm afraid carries the series curse of sluggish movements and silly decision making. Expand
  5. Sep 3, 2013
    Finally got Rome 2 after a long wait. I am very happy with what we've got, and I know CA will improve the game over the coming months with patches and updates. The game is huge and people need to me more understanding when dealing with a game on this scale. This game will keep me entertained for YEARS. Highly recommend to any strategy/TW fan.
  6. Sep 3, 2013
    only played Rome 2 two hours this morning but it didnt take any longer then 30 minutes to realize how great this game is and how much more great i can be with modding and patching, far out weighs Rome TW so i think it deserves 9 thats not a fanboy score its my honest opinion.
  7. Sep 3, 2013
    So far impressed with the game. I'm not running into any problems with the load times. The only thing I find bad is the ui is very different from shogun 2 which I've been playing a lot recently. Not perfect but it's what I was expecting. Worth the money.
    Haven't checked fps but on extreme no lag. My specs i5 Oc to 3.7ghz, 660 and 8gs ram. Load times no different than shogun though the turn lengths extend because of the size of the game.
  8. Sep 3, 2013
    Total War ROME 2 it's just a deep beatiful strategy game like every other game of the total war series! Don't be fooled by the bad review couse it has some imperfection but WHATEHELL it's only the performance that need to be improved and some Ai adjustement nothing more! Keep it classic and buy this game because it deserve it. I gave this a 10 couse there are people that give it 0 whileTotal War ROME 2 it's just a deep beatiful strategy game like every other game of the total war series! Don't be fooled by the bad review couse it has some imperfection but WHATEHELL it's only the performance that need to be improved and some Ai adjustement nothing more! Keep it classic and buy this game because it deserve it. I gave this a 10 couse there are people that give it 0 while they have played like 5 min into the game and then they keept playing Ride to hell Retribution. You will love this game as soon you start the campaign! Expand
  9. Sep 3, 2013
    I'm a huge fan of the Total War series, and so far I'm NOT disappointed! The game is clearly a member of the Total War series, anyone who has played their previous titles will be familiar with the general gameplay. However there are new features in just about every aspect of the game that have been added, everything from province management, to agents to battle, that makes this feelI'm a huge fan of the Total War series, and so far I'm NOT disappointed! The game is clearly a member of the Total War series, anyone who has played their previous titles will be familiar with the general gameplay. However there are new features in just about every aspect of the game that have been added, everything from province management, to agents to battle, that makes this feel different from other Total War games. As a long-time fan of the series, I love the changes, I'm looking forward to a couple hundred hours of gameplay (I had 300+ on Shogun 2). Thumbs up! Expand
  10. Sep 25, 2013
    It's shocking to play a Total War game where features people use *all the time* have been dropped from the battle (guard button anyone? No loose formation, etc.)

The AI can't put up a good fight, which makes the battle mode fun : I know formulaic games get boring, but they've taken the formula and broken the fun bits, you won't be recreating your Rome: Total War battles or any

The AI can't put up a good fight, which makes the battle mode fun :

I know formulaic games get boring, but they've taken the formula and broken the fun bits, you won't be recreating your Rome: Total War battles or any episodes of Time Commanders with this, it just can't do it!
  11. Oct 7, 2014
    After the fifteenth "Emperor Edition" patch, along with the mods: Divide et Impera; GEM - Graphical Enhancement Mod; and Bullgod's Unit Cards, I am thoroughly enjoying playing Total War: Rome 2 and I do recommend it to previous Total War fans.

The game is now almost unrecognisable from the shambles that it was at release and I have increased my previous rating of a 4 to a 9.
  12. Dec 28, 2014
    This game has definitely improved to a point to which now it can be considered playable and also fun. I would recommend the game in its current stage.
  13. Oct 26, 2013
    After the patches CA has been rolling out, I must say this is my favourite of the series. If we continue to get these great patches, I can see this game becoming a solid 9.
  14. Oct 25, 2013
    What was once bug ridden and simplistic, is now a challenging successor to the legendary series Creative Assembly. Unfortunately, the player base continues to be ignorant of the updates and continues their bashing of a perfectly polished successor.
  15. Oct 27, 2013
    I just picked this game up and frankly Its exactly what I wanted from a total war game that being said it has some fps issues and I had to install a couple of mods to tune the traits and character ageing which were both unwisely setup to say the least (the traits were boring and everyone drops dead of old age way to fast by default). But hey its total war and the AI got patched and can nowI just picked this game up and frankly Its exactly what I wanted from a total war game that being said it has some fps issues and I had to install a couple of mods to tune the traits and character ageing which were both unwisely setup to say the least (the traits were boring and everyone drops dead of old age way to fast by default). But hey its total war and the AI got patched and can now fight back! Expand
  16. Feb 25, 2014
    Earlier on, sure, this game was very buggy. The campaign sucked because of bad AI and there were bad system/graphical bugs too. But it has become a much more polished game with consecutive patches and an excellent modding community. OK initially the game was a problem but now it is quite an alluring game all things considered. Loving the multiplayer and the campaigns are now much moreEarlier on, sure, this game was very buggy. The campaign sucked because of bad AI and there were bad system/graphical bugs too. But it has become a much more polished game with consecutive patches and an excellent modding community. OK initially the game was a problem but now it is quite an alluring game all things considered. Loving the multiplayer and the campaigns are now much more challenging (and varied with all the scenario mods). Expand
  17. Jun 2, 2014
    Ever since the game was published, it was BS. There was bad AI, many glitches that really pissed off gamers including me but as the times goes, the game(patched) and became the best total game ever!!!

Go to www.youtube.com/user/lionheartx10 for awesome rome total war 2 walkthrough
  18. Jun 8, 2014
    I think it was a great game could be a ten but a few issues. AI is too easy not a challenge to play campaign. More diverse units and elephants and chariots I find to be to powerful. Campaign is good except for AI but the diplomacy and everything else is fine. I gave it a 9/10 for being rome total war 2 but for being a total war game I would give it a 5/10. I think that CA rushed this gameI think it was a great game could be a ten but a few issues. AI is too easy not a challenge to play campaign. More diverse units and elephants and chariots I find to be to powerful. Campaign is good except for AI but the diplomacy and everything else is fine. I gave it a 9/10 for being rome total war 2 but for being a total war game I would give it a 5/10. I think that CA rushed this game I still think they have potential to make the greatest total war game and the best strategy game ever, which I think their other games are. I think it has improved in campaign in the fact of how you manage everything, and I like the size of the maps and the tons of different battle setting such as coastal battles and such. I just think when it comes to AI and actually fighting it falls short and the other games to me looked more polish, and are much better to play fights on also I think they went backwards on graphics as well. It doesn't really deserve a nine I am just being easy on the fact that fighting battle are not fun and are stupidly easy because I think how the campaign works its an improvement. Expand
  19. Sep 5, 2013
    As many others have said, the performance and optimization of this game is absolutely terrible. Furthermore, the graphics are completely unlike any of the alpha footage and they are quite ugly in the final release. The lighting effects, texture quality, shadow quality, etc., is all of a low quality. We were promised a grittier, darker art direction for the game and that was evident in theAs many others have said, the performance and optimization of this game is absolutely terrible. Furthermore, the graphics are completely unlike any of the alpha footage and they are quite ugly in the final release. The lighting effects, texture quality, shadow quality, etc., is all of a low quality. We were promised a grittier, darker art direction for the game and that was evident in the alpha footage. Now we have bloom, bloom lighting everywhere.

The UI is similarly awful in that it takes the clean, artistic UI of Shogun 2 and turns it into a generic mess that is all too similar to Empire's setup.

The fact that CA is already working on DLC is absolutely disgraceful. The game is broken. My PC can run BF3, CIV V, Shogun 2, all on ultra settings with absolutely nothing turned down. Rome 2 succeeds in offering worse graphics with worse performance. It's like CA's QA does not exist.
  20. Jul 20, 2015
    Came back to the game this last weekend after taking a year away from it. Improvements across the board. Some features are still gone like some of the diplomacy options, agent videos, etc., but overall the gameplay has improved. Officially safe to buy it now.
  21. Oct 28, 2013
    Finally purchased Rome II this past weekend after Patch 5 was released. I will state now that I am an old time Total War fan and I have quite a high end system. Having said that I have had no frame rate problems even with all the settings cranked up. Also, I have been reading all about how long it takes for the AI to run through its turn; no issues here, takes about 10 seconds. NowFinally purchased Rome II this past weekend after Patch 5 was released. I will state now that I am an old time Total War fan and I have quite a high end system. Having said that I have had no frame rate problems even with all the settings cranked up. Also, I have been reading all about how long it takes for the AI to run through its turn; no issues here, takes about 10 seconds. Now granted, I have only just started playing and I am sure I will run into some glitches soon enough but so far I am impressed, but can only imagine how rough it must have been to play this game before all the patches were released. Although CA and Sega really screwed up the launch of Rome II, it seems like they are committed to making it the epic strategy that we all know it can be and I even think it can easily surpass Shogun II, although there is still work needed to be done especially on the AI. Keep at it folks. Expand
  22. Feb 28, 2014
    Yeah this game was not "perfect" at the time of release, not even close it. But now, after many months they have published patch and as an result this game is playable now. Campaign is good old same and graphics are awesome! This is quite heavy game so you`re gonna need good PC if you want to play it with max graphics..
  23. Sep 20, 2014
    Although this game was quite bad when it was released, it has become a pretty good game because of CA's continued patching. I wholeheartedly recommend it.
  24. Oct 17, 2014
    To be honest my rating is based on Rome 2 as it is now. If I had written this review after it came out, or even half a year later it would have been much lower.

Right now it is very enjoyable with a decent AI and the two player campaign is really great and good for hours of game-play. Did Sega screw up on this title and brought it out way to soon? Sure and they disappointed everyone

Did Sega screw up on this title and brought it out way to soon? Sure and they disappointed everyone who loved Shogun or who started playing it for the first time. What I learned is that i will never, ever, buy any Total war game anymore within the first 3 months after it comes out. As with every title they need more patches to make it playable. And it are always the same bugs , AI, Siege battles and failing diplomacy.

But if you are willing to wait that long and have the patience, I must say you are in for a treat. There are so many factions to play with in Rome and no game is or feels the same. The AI, even after all the updates, is still a bit to passive but they will surprise you and inconvenience you when you least expect it. The graphics are stunning and the battles are very challenging. It provides more diversity beween factions then Shogun and has a more surprising diplomacy system. The world is huge and finally there are a lot more options on and around the sea which adds to the atmosphere of conquering.

Despite all it's flaws it is becomming the most addictive Total war game for me, after having spend hundreds of hours on Shogun 2 and all the games before it so that is why the high rating.
  25. Dec 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really feel that the user reviews for Total War: Rome 2 don't give the game justice. Before receiving the game, i was well aware of many of the "game breaking bugs" and "horrible user interface" that people claimed the game had. I was also aware of the painfully low score on metacritic. None the less, i wanted to give CA the benefit of the doubt because i have not played a Total War game to date that i did not enjoy. I started playing and the first thing i noticed was the steep learning curve that came with managing your faction. There is far more detail in dealing with settlements (which are now divided into many provinces with settlements inside of them). Once I got the hang of it however, it wasn't too difficult to figure out basic functions that allow you to run your settlements efficiently. As for the actual battles, the game is absolutely stunning if you have a system capable of running it. Unless you play on lower settings, clone armies are no longer an issue with most soldiers having some form of variation from the others (this is particularly noticeable with the barbarian factions). The battle AI is not always the smartest, but still provides somewhat of a challenge. Overall, its not my favorite Total War game, but it is a worthy addition to a great series. I honestly cannot understand how people are giving the game 1's and 2's. Expand
  26. Sep 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am a fan of Total War series and of Rome Total War in particular for a long time... and since Empire Total War that not just me but many people expects a Rome II that would retrieve the greatness and unique masterpiece that Rome I achieved in its time. Rome II, with sadness we can say, didnt get that.

Believe me, Creative Assembly AND SEGA, Everything on score below 8.5 is a shame for a Total War Title. Yes, we are very demanding as fans of Total War... Creative Assembly made us this way.

I begun playing the game on release and checked the first reviews but preferred to wait, play a little more to decide and to be just, as a fan paying money for what i thought would fulfill what me and everybody were expecting, so i waited until at least 10 hours playing to make an opinion.

We have to be just. Graphically, the game improves almost every aspect we could imagine they could improve. The historical research was well made too, at least to an acceptable point. And the positive points may not be rated bad because we dont like other things in the game. Positive points to other things too. For this reason, a give it a seven.

But CA, what did you to gameplay? 1 TURN PER YEAR, since it was revealed, everybody is criticizing it but you didnt hear... and now you have a broken piece of a game with an old great idea that is just crap now, with this thing of 1 turn/year that disgraces since historical accuracy of events to game pace, heavily injured by this.

Settlement manage? Hurtful, shameful, weak, boring. Taxes that you can not specify to each settlement with some special idea? Boring. The GUARD MODE button disappeared, and other simple but efficient things in battle? Bad... AI badly stupid at many moments? Bad... Glitches in Multiplayer with crashes to desktop? Ugly...

A harm is made to the image of something that we expected greatness, not routine, standard. If CA and Sega want to fix this, they still have a way, with patches. Toilsome, but viable. But please dont put more shame on it and forget to at least try to fix this... you have a work to do, if you care with the business aspect of Total War future sales.

SEGA, the great market power of CA is their hardcore Total War fans. They convince newcomers to play Total War franchise, not game ads. And you all hav to do better.
  27. Aug 4, 2014
    So much hatred for a pretty good game... Well, the whole thing begins with lots of bugs, but as patches were out they fixed many of them. It's a decent "Total War" game with much better graphics, but less freedom. What I really disliked was that there are no world events, though this feature was already out from "Empire: Total War". AI diplomacy is too weak, for more factions to make upSo much hatred for a pretty good game... Well, the whole thing begins with lots of bugs, but as patches were out they fixed many of them. It's a decent "Total War" game with much better graphics, but less freedom. What I really disliked was that there are no world events, though this feature was already out from "Empire: Total War". AI diplomacy is too weak, for more factions to make up for the extremely challenging Mongols and Timurids in "Medieval 2". It makes you feel that history is too generic and does not touch you. Battles and tactics are once again outstanding, and I really liked the idea of joint land and naval battles. It even features an impressive soundtrack, even though many have reviled it. It is a bit unfair to give such a superb strategy game a dismal 4.0 out of 10, just because it does not meet some pretty high expectations. After all, it's much superior to "Rome: Total War" to begin with. Expand
  28. Jul 30, 2014
    Okay, I've been following the game for almost a year now. It was no doubt in a terrible state at launch. However, through continuous efforts in improving the game by both the developers and fans alike, the game is in a much much better shape now that I think it deserves a better score than this.

Yes, it's not acceptable to release an unfinished product and it should be criticized. On the other hand, however, if developers admit their faults, put tons of effort in improving and fixing their product, it should be recognized and credited.

I believe now with almost 14 patches and numerous DLCs and/or user made mods, the game not only has tons of contents to offer, but also performs much better and the AI got improved by a great margin(still not perfect, but much better).Overall I think this game, at the current state, deserves a spot in any RTS/Total fan's library.
  29. Jan 28, 2014
    The game is a very good game besides some minor bugs. I my self have never encountered any bugs and have clocked in well over 6 hours. The game is not as good as Empire total war for sure but the game is still a great game.
  30. Sep 22, 2014
    This game was a bitter disappointment for me but after a year of patches it's now worth a 8. The Emperor edition with a lot of extra stuff for free is a must buy!
  31. Jun 27, 2014
    It's Getting better with the patches and all. However they (C.A.) should have never released this game when they did. I mean they added "Up Hill Advantage" in a later patch!!!!!!! THAT'S something they should have added from the beginning like every other Total War. Basic fundamentals guys!

Anyway it's getting good with the patches and it's only $20.13 on Steam till June 30th has been for 8 days now. "Steam's Summer Adventure" Everything's half off.
  32. Oct 26, 2013
    Do i wish this game came out as it is right now (late October), all patched up and tidy? yes! am i going to hold it against Creative? NO! every gamer should understand the relationship between the game devs and the publishers! Sega says the games going to be ready by a specific date, and that's final. I'm sure the developers would have loved to polish this game to its current shiny state.Do i wish this game came out as it is right now (late October), all patched up and tidy? yes! am i going to hold it against Creative? NO! every gamer should understand the relationship between the game devs and the publishers! Sega says the games going to be ready by a specific date, and that's final. I'm sure the developers would have loved to polish this game to its current shiny state.

In short, all the haters should give it a go now that the developers had their extra time to work on it, its a marvelous addition to the Total War series, dare i say the second best (after Rome I)
  33. Jan 3, 2014
    Why would anyone rate this game so low? As if you are all armchair generals with Westpoint backgrounds LOL! If you bought the game through Steam you have access to the Workshop, and for this reason this game is highly customizable. Thank you Steam just for being you. without that workshop full of mods this game would take forever to be fixed to my liking the unit cards are a glaringWhy would anyone rate this game so low? As if you are all armchair generals with Westpoint backgrounds LOL! If you bought the game through Steam you have access to the Workshop, and for this reason this game is highly customizable. Thank you Steam just for being you. without that workshop full of mods this game would take forever to be fixed to my liking the unit cards are a glaring mistake which I modded immediately and it seems those tribes really beat the hell out of Ancient Rome in a free for all the first time I played as Rome before I modded the game extensively I lost entire legions to barbarian forces less than a forth the size and the 2 turns a year. what the were they thinking? A year is 12 months divided into 4 seasons so why do it any other way? unforgiveable CA developers. Anyway it is not a bad game. Expand
  34. Jan 14, 2014
    While its launch was a little rough, they have put in a work with patches and have improved the game greatly, they still continue to patch and improve the game along with bringing out a new expansion (that is fantastic) and new factions. Very much enjoying it, do wish that in co-op I could take my turn at the same time as my partner however, maybe have a pop up to view your friends battlesWhile its launch was a little rough, they have put in a work with patches and have improved the game greatly, they still continue to patch and improve the game along with bringing out a new expansion (that is fantastic) and new factions. Very much enjoying it, do wish that in co-op I could take my turn at the same time as my partner however, maybe have a pop up to view your friends battles if they start one in the middle of your game play that you can then click that would take you to the current options to spectate. Expand
  35. Jan 21, 2014
    Don't listen to the negative reviews, the game certainly had a rocky start, but 9 patches in and the game works great now. Combined with user mods the game is the gem it should have been on release.

I've played 285 hours and i'm still totally addicted. There are certainly some aspects of the game that I don't particularly agree with, like the removal of family trees and such, but overall the game is still amazing. Both graphically and game play wise.

People come on here and give the game a 1 out of ten because of one or two features that they don't like. They are reactionary titbags who think every game should cater solely to them and are only able to focus on the stuff that they don't like, rather than see the game as a whole and admire all the good thing about it.

Play on the hard difficulty or more and the game is truly a mental challenge that requires intelligence and good strategy, just like a good strategy game should.
  36. Jan 28, 2014
    yes the game had some problems in it's release! but all of those problems are gone. nowadays there are only some small bugs. the game is really good,the map is great i love the UI! one conclusion they Nailed it!
  37. Sep 23, 2014
    As of September 2014, this game has been fixed. It is now one of the best total war games out there. Don't know what this talk of the UI is, it's the best UI yet, far better than the abomination that is napoleon. The AI has improved greatly, Far fewer bugs, turn times are short, the game is now much better optimized. Basically, it has followed the path of every Total War game sinceAs of September 2014, this game has been fixed. It is now one of the best total war games out there. Don't know what this talk of the UI is, it's the best UI yet, far better than the abomination that is napoleon. The AI has improved greatly, Far fewer bugs, turn times are short, the game is now much better optimized. Basically, it has followed the path of every Total War game since Medieval 1, released as a shambles, then fixed. Happened in Shogun 2, Napoleon, Empire, Medieval 2, and Rome 1.

The whole system with regions, and especially the building trees are a MASSIVE improvement over every previous total war game. The building trees make sense, as do the tech trees. The politics system is somewhat interesting, but I wish it played a far larger role in the game. At this point, pretty much everything you do in the politics system is to lessen the impact of the inevitable civil war. Don't get me wrong, getting hit by a civil war is a huge deal, but I would like for there to be more purpose to the politics system, some real and immediate advantage to having more senate support, and things like that.

I would like to point out that the AI in all the total war games has always been awful, and that it has been improving since shogun 2. Rome 2 after patches has helped it dramatically, as they did with Shogun 2.

A couple minor gripes:
    The tooltips need to have a slight pause on the campaign map, as of right now, there is constantly a tooltip up at all times, which gets really annoying.

It would be nice to have an easier indication of how many troops you replenish per turn, in the form of perhaps some sort of second color on the units health bar.

Wet ground just looks bad.

AI can still be a little derpy, splitting their army in half to chase your cavalry (exploit this heavily for fun and profit), as well as making basic, but idiotic tactical mistakes. For example, with a superior force on a river crossing with 2 crossing points, they sometimes leave one crossing completely unattended, allowing an easy superflank, and total destruction by an inferior force. However, these aren't gamebreaking, the AI works fine, It just makes big mistakes, that no reasonable player would ever make. It needs to make some mistakes of course, so that it can be beaten, but not the ones that just make you cringe.
  38. Sep 22, 2014
    After 15 patches, multiple DLC and EMPIRE edition coming out (with augustus dlc) i would rate this game a 9 and best of the series.

True some bugs exists, but at the moment it has less bugs than any other VANILLA totalwar game to date. Almost all complains of release version has been addressed and even politics and civil war got major overhaul. Rome 2 is most supported totalwar game to date and i would argue that it is also game that CA has listened it's fans most(after release).

For those that have never played Totalwar game before, i would say that dont be afraid of these "0" reviews, those are just plain stupid as game itself is top quality and brings shame to many games that can be completed in 3 hours

Oh and there is EXCELLENT mods out there for everybodys tastes, easily accessed from STEAM workshop

Greetings
    - somebody that has played 1000 hours
  39. Oct 4, 2013
    With the beta patch 4 and AMD beta driver I'm pleased with this product. I will now pour count less hours into this game. It had a rough release but with all the fixes its up to snuff.
  40. Oct 24, 2013
    After all the performance issues, poor optimization and all the things people have complained about, here comes the fourth patch (more to come yet), and I have to say that this game is awesome. The AI is a lot better than when the game was released and in fact minor factions declare war on you (in the released game they didn't). In fact I'm in a world-scale war as a Roman, allied withAfter all the performance issues, poor optimization and all the things people have complained about, here comes the fourth patch (more to come yet), and I have to say that this game is awesome. The AI is a lot better than when the game was released and in fact minor factions declare war on you (in the released game they didn't). In fact I'm in a world-scale war as a Roman, allied with Carthage and the Greek city states against Seleucid faction, eastern rising empires and all the Gaul tribes. Battle AI is improving, and now is not always easy to win a battle. A month after the release I can say I'm beginning to have fun with this game. Hope you can say the same. Expand
  41. Jan 18, 2014
    Not the best of the Total War games (which would be Shogun 2 imo) but it's a refreshing take and certainly better in every way than Empire and Napoleon. A bit unbalanced (Suebi's units are completely worthless on all difficulties) but still fun and immersive.
  42. Mar 8, 2014
    People put downgrading ratings or wrote bad reviews because of the condition of Rome II's initial release; but after the game is patched, you will witness the Best Total war Game ever!

I started to play the game after patch 7 and I don't know the level of condition to play the game which that was badly graded by reviewers. So I suggest to players who still think the game with its early condition to revise their opinions about the game and start to play it again.

For the newcomers who have not played Rome 2 before, I strongly suggest Rome 2 with its strategical environment which has so developed diplomacy, different elements of warfare (such as raid, fortify, forced march), and trade that are all having large impact on the game. After latest patches, it is certain this will become your favorite totalwar game if you played and enjoyed previous ones.
  43. Dec 25, 2013
    True this game had multiple issues upon release that made it virtually unplayable even on a high end system. However, many of those issues have been addressed including the AI. On occasion the AI can still act incredibly dumb but on other occasions I have seen it act very intelligently (it seems to be somewhat hit or miss). The graphics are on par with shogun 2 if not a slight improvement,True this game had multiple issues upon release that made it virtually unplayable even on a high end system. However, many of those issues have been addressed including the AI. On occasion the AI can still act incredibly dumb but on other occasions I have seen it act very intelligently (it seems to be somewhat hit or miss). The graphics are on par with shogun 2 if not a slight improvement, but trying to run this game on a lower end system would be a fps nightmare I'm sure. Nevertheless, this is not the disappointment many have made it out to be. With the recent patches and updates the game now runs much smoother and the game play is very enjoyable. Despite what many have said you cannot just fling your army at the enemy and win a battle, I have tried this and it will get you beat every time (unless of course your playing on easy) if you employ counter strategy and flanking maneuvers then yes you can win even if your outnumbered on legendary BUT if the enemy has enough or acts intelligently you can still lose. The new political system IS somewhat pointless because civil war is going to break out anyhow, you can pretty much just ignore it, but this doesn't really take away from anything it just doesn't really need to be there. Overall the graphics, unit diversity, good strategy by the AI in SOME battles (I still haven't figured out why sometimes it acts smart then incredibly stupid in the very next battle), and just the basic turn based/real time combat setup of a total war game is all there. Basically I enjoy this game a lot and have already put over 300 hours into it, of course I have put about 500 hours into every TW game since the original Medieval TW. This one didn't give a whole lot of new innovative features but it is still a solid game (now with the patches) and as enjoyable as any other TW game. Expand
  44. Jul 4, 2015
    Just read some of the negative reviews. Some of them diddnt bother really playing it for one day before posting a review it seems. Or gave it a 0 for silly reasons i personally dont cara about. You know there is a mod for roman archers. Why do you give it a 0?

This game is about a 8 or 8,5. Its above average but that has said it all. It is not bad at all. But after a couple of hundreds of hours you might feel you have seen it all and move on. I would say it is worth your time and money.
  45. Jan 8, 2014
    08/01/2014
    Lots of bug fixes since the release of this game. You will find the majority of negative reviews were written before these major fixes.
    08/01/2014
    I was scpetical but purchased the game after the latest patch. Game is absolutely amazing and highly addictive. There are a few issues I have with camera panning etc which ticks me off and slight issues with micro management of units of the battlefield but overall quite a solid game.
    I'm new to the total war franchise so not sure if this is above of below their average.
    Would recommend this game
  46. Dec 25, 2013
    Impossible to understand all these negative reviews. It is an excellent game, work done should have been immense. After 100 hours, I can state this 10/10 and nothing else!
  47. Oct 31, 2013
    Release was horrible but patches have fixed most problems. AI still needs some work but for the most part the game is fantastic! I can understand people giving bad scores at release but they have no right to give 0's at this point or anything below a 7.
  48. Oct 29, 2013
    Post patch 5, the game is near to perfection. I've been having the most difficult Macedonian campaign ever, it will test your decision making in every sphere military campaigning, managing your finances, its eithera win-win situation or you lose in a chain reaction.

There are a lot of factions in this game, so if you're playing a major faction, you'll be at war with minor factions in the beginning. And mind you, these minor factions when allied against you are even more major threat than even the biggest, largest factions and thats what makes your mind racing. It is always you have to secure yourself certain provinces and territories so you can expand further.

Province system is awesome. You have a provincial capital and minor sub-settlements, making the fight to glory even harsher and challenging demanding capture of every settlement to secure a province, Unlike previous total wars where you captured the capital and the whole province was yours.

The only thing that receives my negative attention is the poor optimization. CA needs to optimize the game ASAP or they are losing fans in perpetuity. I myself had to change a lot of custom settings to make the game playable. It was UNPLAYABLE in the beginning and CA needs to address that.

And one final advice, those negative reviews are pre patch 5 when the game was in a horrible condition, almost a pre-alpha. Believe me, now you will enjoy the game to the fullest! provided you interfere with some custom settings to make the game playable!
  49. Oct 24, 2013
    After all the patches i am glad to say that the game has come a long way and is one of the best of the series hands down. Don't trust the negative reviews sure they are still bugs and glitches at times that may be frustrating but they are slowly getting rid of them all bug at a time. If you love total war you will love this game. It brings epic battles and visuals to your screen that makesAfter all the patches i am glad to say that the game has come a long way and is one of the best of the series hands down. Don't trust the negative reviews sure they are still bugs and glitches at times that may be frustrating but they are slowly getting rid of them all bug at a time. If you love total war you will love this game. It brings epic battles and visuals to your screen that makes you feel immersed in the battles. The game not only has rich game play but accurately tells historical battles and story's from past time civilizations. It plays on the Athens and Sparta alliance against Epirus the empire that betrayed they to side with Persia during Persia's tyrannical reign. You can re-live ancient feuds and battles and raise your empire above the rest. How will you forge your destiny? Through Tyranny and Power or Diplomacy and Economy? The choice is yours, you are emperor "forge your path"

Try it, you will love it
  50. Oct 28, 2013
    I am writing a review to say that after 5 patches and 8 free factions alongside the original ones available, that the game has improved immensely. AI could still use more work (getting there), but a lot of the technical and performance issues are becoming non-existent with 5 patches and AMD and Nvidia releasing dedicated drivers. The game received way too many bad reviews at the start,I am writing a review to say that after 5 patches and 8 free factions alongside the original ones available, that the game has improved immensely. AI could still use more work (getting there), but a lot of the technical and performance issues are becoming non-existent with 5 patches and AMD and Nvidia releasing dedicated drivers. The game received way too many bad reviews at the start, everything was there, they just needed to patch things up, which is not the fault of Creative Assembly. Sega is the publisher and tells CA when it is to be released, no matter how incomplete it is. I would look into updated reviews from major review sites or other metacritic users to get an idea of the games state as of now, because it is amazing. Also remember that this game is moddable and takes advantage of steam workshop, mods are easy to find and install and can improve your experience tremendously. Expand
  51. Nov 5, 2013
    I bought Rome 2 on release and it was pretty buggy and underwhelming. The patches released since then however have done a lot to redeem it, and currently it's a pretty good game though there is still some work to do. The graphics are fine, though I apparently am one of the few who has no problem running it on ultra (even at launch). If you're coming from Shogun 2 you'll find a lot ofI bought Rome 2 on release and it was pretty buggy and underwhelming. The patches released since then however have done a lot to redeem it, and currently it's a pretty good game though there is still some work to do. The graphics are fine, though I apparently am one of the few who has no problem running it on ultra (even at launch). If you're coming from Shogun 2 you'll find a lot of welcome unit and play style diversity among the factions. The campaign AI feels fairly robust, and I was able to forge some pretty solid game-long alliances with them. Once, some enemy troops slipped past my army and headed toward an undefended city, but an allied AI planted an army to deny them movement pretty cool. Battle AI is a liiiittle less stellar, as is common in all TW games.

My biggest unresolved gripe has to do with the politics system. The gist of it is, every once in a while, you make a decision about some political event and something good or bad happens. In practice, it's extremely anemic, feels tacked on and you can totally ignore it because it's basically a coin toss. The in-game encyclopedia is buggy and lacking a lot info and flavor about units (all celtic swordsmen have the same unit descriptions, for example). The tech trees at first glance feel very weak, but every culture has different research items so maybe it can be forgiven. UI doesn't bug me, but the lack of seasons (something I LOVED in Shogun 2 and earlier titles) does.

Anyway, I'm enjoying it quite a bit at this point and I don't regret getting it. I feel like Rome 2 is a pretty solid entry though maybe not the best in the series.
  52. Sep 19, 2014
    After a year of the originl realese, the emperor edition is the game what rome 2 should been. They fixed the AI, all the bugs, the graphical errors and improved the performance.
  53. Jun 5, 2014
    I have been a fan of the Total War series since it's inception with Shogun. I loved the first Rome and eagerly looked forward to Rome 2.

Overall it's a good game but had two shortcomings for which I deducted one point each: 1# eliminated the stellar aspects where the patriarch (the player) had decision making power over who his offspring married. This choice included viewing character

1# eliminated the stellar aspects where the patriarch (the player) had decision making power over who his offspring married. This choice included viewing character qualities and talents. In short it affected the genetic capabilities of future offspring.

2# the later and advanced game stages became redundant and mechanical.
  54. Jun 1, 2014
    after all the patches and dlc Total War Rome 2 is by far one of the best total war games i have played. From historical accuracy to the vast number of drastically different factions and to the amount of detail in the game. I like many, had major issues upon launch but since then CA has fixed most of the issues and giving away free dlc for those who bared with them and stuck around. I amafter all the patches and dlc Total War Rome 2 is by far one of the best total war games i have played. From historical accuracy to the vast number of drastically different factions and to the amount of detail in the game. I like many, had major issues upon launch but since then CA has fixed most of the issues and giving away free dlc for those who bared with them and stuck around. I am very impressed with the game even though it started in ruff water. Expand
  55. Sep 18, 2014
    Apesar do lançamento ter sido uma grande decepção, muito foi-se arrumado no jogo. A I.A. do jogo está muito mais desafiadora e inteligente do que antes; Dezenas de bugs foram consertados, não há mais o porque de ficar se criticando o jogo por coisas do seu passado. Então nota: 10/10
  56. Sep 15, 2013
    I've put over forty hours now into the game. In it's first release, I felt like it was a rehash of Shogun 2, but with the latest beta patch and Radius Mod and All Factions Unlocked mod, I have given the game an 8 (my previous score was 6). Vanilla itself is worth a 7 in it's current state, but throw on a few mods, this game is suddenly addictive.

Total War has a strong heritage of a

Total War has a strong heritage of a community of modders who have dedicated years to improving off the core of TW games. Unique to Rome 2 is the campaign setting. It is the best it has ever been. I feel like a chief of my own kingdom. Beautiful scenery, and mechanically, a step in a different direction from what they began with Empire.

If they release a comprehensive set of modding tools, I will give Rome 2 a 9.0 I have played Total War since Medieval 1.
  57. Dec 25, 2013
    Dear metacritic, please re review this game. The release of this game was diabolical, however after 3 months of patches, this is probably one of the best pc games I have ever played. The graphics are beautiful, the game play is exciting and the blood dlc recently released gave the game a much more interesting light. If you're a total war or strategy fan, this game is a must have.
  58. Jan 14, 2014
    To those who read the other reviews on release date, they did not have access to the free DLC (Nomadic tribes, Baktria) and all the patches they put out. The loading speeds are much faster, the game crashes less and the AI are smarter. The game is great now and all should buy it.
  59. Jan 2, 2014
    Now that it has been fix whit patches so it work fine, its a really great game.
    The strong side it also all of the mods so you can play whit new things all the time.
    Do not listen to all the haters, this is a great game.
  60. Jan 4, 2014
    I personally have had ZERO issues with this game. I've pumped in over 200 hours so far and still loving it. I have to admit, the learning curve was a bit too big from Shogun 2. But once handled, this game deserves all the praise it gets. Not the strongest title in TOTAL WAR, but most certainly a fantastic game.
  61. Jan 3, 2014
    it's simply fantastic! people whining need to learn patients! I am sure all glitches and bugs will be fixed over time! And you say shogun 2 is good? In shogun 2, u get instant and constast attacks from every freaking side. Rome 2 actually gives you allot of breathing, to develop your city, unit's, as well as your researching!! i love this game!
  62. Feb 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Even though Rome 2 really put my PC to the test, the newest Total War game managed to convince me thoroughly. Its battlefields are as tactically deep as they are going to get, prettier than I would have dared to dream about and the new tactical options by land and sea are a welcome twist to this superb and quite welcoming strategy title. Expand
  63. Mar 1, 2014
    Amazing in every way. The amount of stupidity from people hating on this game because it had glitches when it came out is unbelievable. These bugs have been fixed. This game is among the best I've ever played, would recommend it anytime.
  64. Sep 17, 2013
    LISTEN TO ME
    ROME II IS NOT A BAD GAME
    So, first of all, the game does NOT deserve this 3.8 score, it is not what we were all hyped for, yes, but it is still a fun game which you can spend a lot of time in.

BUT
    I can't ignore the bugs, so sure, giving a 110 score to a game you can't really play is understandable, but not very fair.
    Post updates, the game is fun and I give it a 710.
  65. Jan 1, 2014
    I recently made an account just to review this game due to the high number of rubbish reviews.
    I have always been a huge fan the Total War series with Medieval 2: Total War as my favorite game of all time. Now back to this game.

First off, as with every game there are always bugs when a game is first launched, what happened with this game was that they launched a game with a massive number of unresolved bugs, on a colossal scale, rivaling the number of bugs of Battlefield games. I played it on a friend's steam account and it wasn't as terrible as people say it was, it was bad, but definitely playable.

I recently bought the game in the steam winter sale for myself, as I am incredibly cheap and didn't want to play full price at launch. I LOVE the game, there are still a few minor bugs. I haven't encountered anything game breaking and I am 26 hours in. The game looks fantastic, it runs very well on a decently built computer packing anything at or above a GT630 or equivalent.

The unit design and abilities is what I see as their greatest triumph, in the past special abilities for units have been patchy at best. Now however, the unit special abilities such as Testudo for Rome and Stampede for Elephant units, are in short, sublime. The abilities have incredibly fast response times and noticeable affects on unit performance, all while not being buggy.

I think what angered and disappointed most people who got this game were the changes they made to how armies work in the grand campaign. Here's how it works: groups of soldiers can only be led by generals, which have to be picked, then there is a maximum of another 19 cards of units to go along with the general. there is also a set number of generals you can have based upon how many settlements and provinces you can have, aka imperium. So it takes a fair bit of intelligence and planning as well as a strategic mind to properly place your generals across the campaign map so you can both expand and keep your people happy, this took me a solid 2 hours to get used to this new mechanic. It makes for a properly challenging strategy experience.

I think that Creative Assembly (game designers) wanted us to think of armies not just as groups of units in which whoever has the highest number of armies wins but whoever has the most efficient and most well trained army wins. There is also a new mechanic of "stances," an army takes a certain stance which affects: defensive bonuses, upkeep costs, movement ranges, attacking bonuses, etc. They also made it so you do not need a fleet to transport unit across water features they can just move across the water as if they were a fleet and engage in naval battles. The devs made it so the general leading your army has a profound effect on how you army performs with each battle increasing his rank and allowing special bonuses for your troops based upon which options you choose.

The game devs also added new battle types: ambush, port assault, and coastal. I love all of these game modes as the integration of naval combat is very smooth and well done. I play a game with my friend where I attack the city by sea and he does by land, it is great fun.

The AI isn't half as bad as people say it is, sometimes they do stupid things or not exactly what you tell them to do. Instances where it is bad are few and far between to the point where saying the AI is bad as a reason to rate this game low, is totally irrelevant.

I think this is a solid game well worth a buy, it may not have been a finished game when it was released, but it is a truly proper game that adds a tremendous amount of content to an already great series that never disappoints me.
  66. Mar 7, 2014
    I had no bugs but on a relatively high-end PC. I started off playing as the Seleucids on Normal difficulty and it held my interest for about 200 turns spread over several weeks. There are loads of design flaws, but on the occasions when the whole package comes together and you have a really tense, satisfying battle it's awesome. I haven't played any of the other Total War games but came toI had no bugs but on a relatively high-end PC. I started off playing as the Seleucids on Normal difficulty and it held my interest for about 200 turns spread over several weeks. There are loads of design flaws, but on the occasions when the whole package comes together and you have a really tense, satisfying battle it's awesome. I haven't played any of the other Total War games but came to them after being disappointed with the King Arthur one, and I found the basic mechanics pretty similar to Graftgold Games' Realms (1991) or Myth: The fallen lords.

Too many battles in Rome II have an immediately obvious outcome because they have already been determined at the strategic/economic level. Too many of them are repeated sieges of the same cities, and can be won by putting a couple of pikeman/spearman units on the wall to hold off the ladders and then sticking them in front of the gate while the bulk of the enemy forces blunder into the gatehouse's rapid-fire, instantly-lethal, completely non-historical boiling oil, and infinite-ammunition, heat-seeking arrow towers. If they had had some of that stuff in 55BC, Julius Caesar would never have gotten out of Cisalpine Gaul.

Ambushes play out exactly as you'd expect if the enemy's ambush was carried out in the middle of a desert with 20-mile visibility in all directions, by a 2,000-strong force with brightly-coloured tribal shields. "Centurion, I think I can see 2,000 warriors massing on the horizon to ambush us tomorrow!", "hmm. they must be planning to put all their archers on one side of the road, and all their spears on the other, and they don't have any cavalry at all. It must be Saturnalia - let's kill them all!"

But just occasionally the ordinary battles in a big field, or defending an unwalled settlement, more than make up for all the rubbish battles in between. Stragglers from depleted units having to overwhelm an elite pike unit quickly enough that they can get in swords-reach of the archers behind them who are whittling them down, or cavalry having to cross the entire battlefield unsupported to take out the enemy's giant ballistas on the flanks before they pulverize the infantry.

On the strategic scale, it's similar. Most of the time consists of settlements rebelling because they didn't have a big enough temple. "Centurion, the slaves in Brundisium have yet again revolted and formed 18 precisely-organized military units many of whom have extremely expensive equipment and training, especially the cavalry." "Ha! Fools. We will push four of those units off the walls using some cheap spearmen, and then proceed to cover the rest in boiling oil at the front gate like we did in twenty previous years". But then there are times when Carthage are holding out impressively on one side of the map, and then the Roxolani and the Scythians form a "Horde of the Steppes" and start sweeping in from the other side of the map.

Every part of the game mechanics is flawed - but in a way that every couple of hours throws up brilliant, unexpected jewels that wouldn't be found anywhere else. It's worth lumbering through this game for that.
  67. Jul 26, 2014
    The game is awesome. I really don't know why so many low scores. I bought the game last month and so far have not seen any bug. The AI is not stupid, and the game runs perfectly. The campaign map is beautiful and sooo many features, totally complex. Well, 10/10.
  68. Jan 3, 2014
    Never played any games in the series. I tried to play the Fall of the Samurai, but it was too difficult to pick up on. Anyway, so was this game, but I'm getting the hang of it. I'll give this game 9/10 because in all honesty that's where it seems to be heading with all the patches. I was crashing left and right last week, but have not experienced a single crash for almost a week. I loveNever played any games in the series. I tried to play the Fall of the Samurai, but it was too difficult to pick up on. Anyway, so was this game, but I'm getting the hang of it. I'll give this game 9/10 because in all honesty that's where it seems to be heading with all the patches. I was crashing left and right last week, but have not experienced a single crash for almost a week. I love the game, except I'm playing on normal... lol. It's difficult for me still, but this game is enjoyable as hell. I just love the warfare.

This game does have its cons, but when I bought it for $23 on GMG, then I thought it was a deal. This game is worth my money. I'm pretty sure by the end of the year I'll raise it to 10/10 when it's optimized better. Anyway, I'm running this game on 4 year computer, but still looks beautiful. I don't experience that much frame rate drops during warfare, just for custom games to which I customized ridiculously.

Personally, I love this game and I don't even play these type of games. I think it's a well made game, but I'm curious to know what things they left out from previous games. Still, awesome game and will continue to get better.

I've never written review before... but these reviews of less 4 are ridiculous.
  69. Nov 1, 2013
    Don't understand the hate for this game whatsoever. I don't think it deserves a 10, more like an 8.5 but given the ridiculous number of 0's, I will give it a 10 to balance things out no matter how futile it is.
  70. Oct 22, 2013
    This is the Best TOTAL WAR of the Series why many people don't like graphic are better than other Total war ...
    the strategy is different for each faction that why I love this game its a new adventure for each civilization
    and this game have a life expectancy
    Each Faction have something different

BUY IT if you have a great cpu
  71. Nov 4, 2013
    nice game. i like.nice game. i like.nice game. i like.nice game. i like.nice game. i like.nice game. i like.nice game. i like.nice game. i like.nice game. i like.nice game. i like.nice game. i like.nice game. i like.nice game. i like.nice game. i like.nice game. i like.nice game. i like.nice game. i like.nice game. i like.
  72. Dec 20, 2013
    Where I enjoyed the 1st Rome Total War the most out of any in the series, this game was still a nice addition to the series. Where some of the issues are, is when it comes to the start of the game. It takes a while to get the game into a position where you can have some fun attacking other super-powers. Where some may dislike this element, it does make the game seem more realistic as a newWhere I enjoyed the 1st Rome Total War the most out of any in the series, this game was still a nice addition to the series. Where some of the issues are, is when it comes to the start of the game. It takes a while to get the game into a position where you can have some fun attacking other super-powers. Where some may dislike this element, it does make the game seem more realistic as a new culture cant just take over Europe in a few years, it takes centuries. This game seems to have been an experiment from the developers, trying to implement new game styles, and where some people who are used to the old games may not like this, it does add to the overall game. This game gets an 8/10 from me, where the only issues being the length of some elements, and some bugs that have still not been addressed (For example, the AI will push ladders into a river if there is a river between them and your city, and if they try using the bridge, it tends to fall through the bridge.) Expand
  73. Dec 30, 2013
    Now its a masterpiece.. I waited for a few months afther all the comotion about the pre beta release. But it was wurth waiting for. I love the game, always loved total war games. But this one is the best by far.
  74. Sep 17, 2013
    Many problems plagued this games launch, and luckily my hardware was largely immune to most of them. While the campaign game play has been streamlined from previous Total War games to a point where it begins to feel shallow, the place where Total War has always shined is in its battles. Rome 2 is no exception, with battles feeling balanced, large scale and beautiful to watch. The AI seemsMany problems plagued this games launch, and luckily my hardware was largely immune to most of them. While the campaign game play has been streamlined from previous Total War games to a point where it begins to feel shallow, the place where Total War has always shined is in its battles. Rome 2 is no exception, with battles feeling balanced, large scale and beautiful to watch. The AI seems a quite a bit easier to trick into dumb decisions than previous games, with developers promising to address the issues. Battles against players are tense and nerve-wracking, though seem to come down to who has more elite units than the other.

Overall, without being plagued by performance issues as most have I would give the Campaign play a 610 and the battles themselves a 8/10.
  75. Dec 11, 2013
    I think Plenty of other reviews will give you a good impression on gameplay, i personaly love it, something i just want to stress is that on its first month of release it did have serious issues with ATI and AMD hardware and over bugs but scince october they have been FIXED and now you kinda want to ignor people moaning about bugs and performance as they problems simpily dont exist. So byI think Plenty of other reviews will give you a good impression on gameplay, i personaly love it, something i just want to stress is that on its first month of release it did have serious issues with ATI and AMD hardware and over bugs but scince october they have been FIXED and now you kinda want to ignor people moaning about bugs and performance as they problems simpily dont exist. So by all means yes bad on the game makers but from a consumer point of view it is fine now.

One other point i want to make is that it has been optimised alot, when the game was first released I did find it slow to load on an i5, 16GB RAM and 560Ti (yes i know its not the best rig ever) but now the loading times are a lot mor eccetable and about halved too.
  76. Oct 18, 2013
    First of all. Just bought a "new" rig, not so powerfull, but rome2 works perfect on 80% of top graphics settings. No glitches, no freeses, works perfect with 4 patches, and looks aweseome (in a rainy conditions).

Absolutely awesome new features: + No army without a general (who can be changed), so no small packs of troops just roaming everywhere. + XP for everyine! Troops, armies,

Absolutely awesome new features:
    + XP for everyine! Troops, armies, generals, provinces, all are getting experience. Much slower, cause characters XP divided in 3 parts.
    + Legendary Difficulty, which is: only auto-saves and no active pause, plus some other difficulties.
    + Slow tech development. Only slingers at first and no archers, no superlegions and stuff. Reform your army! Unic tech trees for main civs although.
    + Absolutely brilliant changes into strategy mode like province system with it's building and few cities.
    + Understandable diplomacy with hints like "recent war with our allies 10", "gifts to us 10". Tnx Civ5.
    + More complex senate system. With bunch af random events and memorable random characters.

- Faster battles. Soldiers are running faster 8) so epicness is a bit lost, but it's ok.
    - No family tree. But family is still here.

About AI. Ofcourse it's not a human player, but there are cavalry through flanks, enemy units can break through your line, leave skirmish, regroup and flank you. Just lost a HUGE sea battle, lost 2 generals and 2 armies, recently took a city with huge losses, so AI looks MUCH better then anywhere in Total War (excerpt Shogun2 maybe, didn't played it).

PS. Played about 12 hours, half for a prologue campaign. So may change my mind. 8)
  77. Sep 27, 2013
    Rome 2 I love this game the new/upgraded feature with Greek Triremes ramming into the side of other triremes is captivating to say the least. One of the best games I have ever bought, though I wish it would CA would have waited just a bit until they released it so they could clear up some of the bugs issues but regardless Rome 2 is a testament to the Total War series!!!
  78. Dec 25, 2013
    I really liked the game. Being a long time fan of total war franchise, i was really hopping for a big improvement on this one. Since i have only played the patched version of the game, haven't seen the bulk of the problems people had reported. It is a perfect game? No it isn't. But still given the scope of the project, and after you use the patches released so far, it is a solid andI really liked the game. Being a long time fan of total war franchise, i was really hopping for a big improvement on this one. Since i have only played the patched version of the game, haven't seen the bulk of the problems people had reported. It is a perfect game? No it isn't. But still given the scope of the project, and after you use the patches released so far, it is a solid and enjoyable experience. Plus, total war modding community is really active, so is a game that only tend to get better and better. If you like strategy games, this one is a good choice. As far as the game difficulty, none of the total war games is very difficult, or have a particularly smart AI. Mods usually tend to that problem. I have a fairly mid range rig, and haven't got the fps problems reported by other users. The same for the very long end turns, mine are all acceptable. I recommend. Expand
  79. Oct 31, 2013
    La majorité des bugs ont été corrigés, le jeu est stable graphiquement, les développeurs sont l'écoute et modifient le jeu en fonction des critiques sur les forums.
    La plupart des notes négatives ne sont plus valables vu qu'elles se basent sur des bugs qui n'existent plus. Le jeu en lui même est plaisant, le travail sur les unités et peuples de l'antiquité est juste couper le souffle. Les graphismes sont inégalés. La difficulté est la surtout en légendaire. Les nouvelles fonctionnalités donnent un coup de jeune la série.
    En temps normal j'aurais mis 8 pour certaines fonctionnalités bâclées mais vu le nombre de trolls sur ce site, le 10 s'impose
  80. Oct 17, 2013
    As notas "0"s não correspondem ao que o jogo. As pessoas sente-se frustradas por não terem suas expectativas atendidas e avaliam o jogo de maneira passional. O jogo pode (ainda, antes de futuras atualizações) não se equiparar as versões anteriores da franquia, mas ainda um baita jogo e leva o meu 10 fácil. ;D
  81. Oct 24, 2013
    RTW 2 is a great step forward Simply 'RTW you go to war to manage your problems, in RTW 2 you manage your problems to go to war'
    The revolution is much improved. The only problems is where do all those legions come from?
    Its not repetitive to me, each war you declare must be panned diplomatic efforts made and unique new enemies considered. Its a little like being a CEO for an international coorperation
  82. Nov 30, 2013
    One of the best total war game so far, the game was released broken but now works incredibly well and is a well made game! The graphics are neat and the world is big, there is nothing to really complain about!
  83. Dec 15, 2013
    I've logged about 140 hours so far and love this game. Yes, it still has some bugs but is totally playable. I have a 3.4 GHz dual core Pentium (sandy bridge era), a Radeon 7680, and 8 gigs of RAM and it almost always runs smooth. Yes, the AI can be stupid but it was stupid in Shogun 2 as well. If you want challenging battles, play against human opponents as always.

I've run into a

I've run into a couple bugs during campaigns so be sure to save frequently (its frozen a few times while opening the diplomacy tab). Sometimes AI units will be untargetable and unmoveable after unloading from their transports. The bugs aren't a big deal to me (they're rare in my experience). Its still loads of fun and you can always play challenging human opponents when the AI isn't tough enough.
  84. Jan 12, 2014
    I've been a fan of the series for 10+ years. This game was pretty much almost everything I hoped it would be. I'm a fan of the bigger campaign maps, and felt somewhat hindered by the size of Shogun 2. This game lets you build a massive empire. Since purchasing the game, I have had 0 crashes, and with the patches the CPU turn times have been greatly reduced to the point where they don'tI've been a fan of the series for 10+ years. This game was pretty much almost everything I hoped it would be. I'm a fan of the bigger campaign maps, and felt somewhat hindered by the size of Shogun 2. This game lets you build a massive empire. Since purchasing the game, I have had 0 crashes, and with the patches the CPU turn times have been greatly reduced to the point where they don't bother me. The one thing with this game is that you need a strong gaming CPU to handle it. Most of the complaints here are from people who simply just don't have a good enough CPU to run the game so they blast it because they feel cheated or something. The battles against the CPU could be tougher, but honestly, it's not that big of a deal. I really think most of the people who rated this game outrageously low are the same people who complain every time a new Total War game comes out. As a long time Total War fan, this game is a must have. Expand
  85. Nov 29, 2013
    Straight out of the gate I have to admit I have a positive predisposition regarding anything Roman. A strategy game on this subject is therefore one of the top even before I start the game for the first time.
    Total War: Rome I has been played for hours on end and it looks like number II won't be a different.
    Well, in fact it is. As I was slaughtering barbarians alone in I, I'm now doing
    Well, in fact it is. As I was slaughtering barbarians alone in I, I'm now doing it in co-op with a good friend in II.

As you probably have read so far the game was beyond buggy upon release and to say that it is stable now is a grand understatement of the core issues that still haunt it. The developers however have put their best effort into fixing each and every one of the major issues, so that at least single player is well playable.
    Multiplayer does however quite often freeze up without reason; leaving some save games utterly unplayable.

But the shear size of the game, the options, the battles and the strategic choices make you come back time after time, especially when you are sharing the enjoyment with a good friend.
    In short, if you can get past the irritating glitches that can in some aspects overshadow the good, you find yourself in a massive, diverse and challenging game filled with the best war scenes one can think of: Ancient Rome.
  86. Sep 16, 2014
    This is by far the best total war game i ever played, the strategy, the graphics, i have played this game for about 100 hours never had a single bugg or glitch everything just runs smooth with a solid framerate.

Haters gonna hate
  87. May 3, 2014
    this really isn't that bad. I feel like the original is a 10/10 and this is 9/10 for a few confusing things, but overall its great. I think everyone just expects so much from Creative Assembly. I haven't experienced anything major in the way of problems
  88. May 17, 2014
    This game is VERY fun. I think it's better than Sid mires civilizations 5. And if u guys don't agree o well DEAL WITH IT! (I AM NoT talking to the crictics)
  89. May 19, 2014
    End Turn time takes so long to start a new turn .. that's so poring i suggest to put option in the settings to skip the far away nations from being showed in every turn only to show the nations that i have borders with it .. but in general i love the series of TOTAL WAR
  90. May 22, 2014
    I know it's been 9 months since the game released, I actually played it on launch and enjoyed it even back then, when the game truly was a bugged piece of junk. Right now it's GREAT. The grand majority of bugs has been fixed. Why are people hating on the game so much? The most important thing is: HATEWAGON. They read that the majority of people hates the game (even if they are simply lyingI know it's been 9 months since the game released, I actually played it on launch and enjoyed it even back then, when the game truly was a bugged piece of junk. Right now it's GREAT. The grand majority of bugs has been fixed. Why are people hating on the game so much? The most important thing is: HATEWAGON. They read that the majority of people hates the game (even if they are simply lying or stupid) and they just spit out more of their hateful comments.

Just don't listen to it. Diplomacy got very good in comparison to previous installments, you can actually make alliances now. In the previous games there was no way you could ever make a new ally at some point in the game. In Rome 2, you can pretty much ally with half of the world if you play it well. You don't have to zerg every other faction in game anymore.

Stupid AI? The only bad thing about AI is the sieges, AI is truly broken during sieges, it will literally let you slaughter its whole army with archers and will never move out of the city plaza. This is truly bad. But aside of that, CA made a major step forward with AI, in comparison to the previous installments. It's actually trying to flank your units now, it's abusing archers during non-siege battles if you don't have archers yourself (it just won't attack you until it blows all missiles, like it did in the previous games), it's playing well during ambushes...

There's literally not a single major flaw that Rome 2 has. People are just hating for no reason, maybe they expected Shogun 2.5, but the game is simply different than the previous installments.

Just don't listen to the **** spewed in other comments. If you enjoyed Shogun 2 or any previous Total War game, you'll love Rome 2 as well. It is a DIFFERENT game, yes, it's not the same old Total War, but it's a step in the right direction. I don't know if CA is planning to release more Total War games, I know they are working on a Warhammer Fantasy game, and I really wouldn't mind if it was similar to Rome 2.
  91. Jun 4, 2014
    The best strategy game ever.
    Amazing graphics
    Real great strategy possibility's
    Really good options war
    Although the diplomacy and building options aren't good enough
    I definitely advise you to buy it.
    and the game is hard enough to net get boring
  92. Sep 21, 2014
    Emperor Edition released NOW, so it is not a suck game in this time

Fixed Unit AI behavior, Improved Graphic Optimization, Pretty many of MODs through Steam Workshop
  93. Jan 27, 2015
    Just like Rome wasn't built in a day, so was this game.

This is by far my favorite Total War game. Everyone praises "Shogun II" but this is in my honest opinion, my favorite. It expands on so much and has so many new benefits that trump the older games. Of course there were going to be bugs in the beginning, what does one expect? It's pretty much every modern video game company
    Just like Rome wasn't built in a day, so was this game.

It expands on so much and has so many new benefits that trump the older games.

Of course there were going to be bugs in the beginning, what does one expect?

It's pretty much every modern video game company does: release it with so many glitches and so many bugs, that at times, it's unplayable.

I have seen the glitches, I have seen the bugs on forums and so forth. And thus I just waited.

And the wait was all worth it.

I for one don't agree with video game companies doing releasing games that are not even playable and releasing it to the markets, but at the very least, this game was done with great ambition. And for that, I applaud them.

For in the end, it is indeed my favorite Total War in the series.

They fixed the AI, they fixed the bugs, and it runs beautifully. I have over 200 hours on it and still counting. And I will keep at it.
  94. Sep 22, 2013
    99% of negative reviews are from people trying to run a 21st century game on 20th century hardware. It is very apparent from the posts on the forums that most have actually not taken the time to understand the game mechanics and how they work. Laughable whingeing.
  95. Nov 26, 2013
    This game had a failure to launch but after the patches I found this game the funnest game I have ever played. As a huge fan of total war I know of Creative Assembly and their history of AI and this has some but they fixed them completely. If you've played the others and than played this game you will swear this wasn't made by anyone related to total war empire. That's how great it is! youThis game had a failure to launch but after the patches I found this game the funnest game I have ever played. As a huge fan of total war I know of Creative Assembly and their history of AI and this has some but they fixed them completely. If you've played the others and than played this game you will swear this wasn't made by anyone related to total war empire. That's how great it is! you need to play this even if you don't like gaming in general because you will love playing this game. Expand
  96. Sep 3, 2013
    I felt compelled to create an account to make a review for this game.

I felt compelled to create an account to make a review for this game.

The people who are voting zero are probably in most cases just whiners who expected perfection and were upset this product isn't perfect. As games get more advanced and have more working parts included (advanced multiplayer platforms etc.) problems will be harder to identify until the game is just put out there and run on various machines. Accept it will have issues (though for those who are entirely unable to play, my sympathies) and play as you can until it's patched up.

My take so far:

It's fun.

It's pretty.

The AI isn't exactly challenging (though if this is so upsetting, gimp yourselves with 3/4 stacks or something to even the odds to your liking).

I personally am enjoying myself so far. Having only played a few hours that may change or may not.

The technical issues will likely be patched in the near future, as for the AI, until we have a computer that can pass the Turing test, we'll all have to suffer with less than ideal AI, suck it up or play multiplayer only.

This game isn't perfect and doesn't deserve a 10/10, 5/5 or 100% but it sure as sunshine doesn't deserve a 0 either.
  97. Mar 27, 2014
    Good game after 11 patches. Don't expect to run game at high fps but neither does original. Game has a lot of content with DLC for future playing. Game has improved much from the original release.
  98. Sep 24, 2013
    A the first days i was dissappointed. But after the patch 1 and 2 and 3 soon i have less and less lag Ai is improving and multiplayer battles are most entertaining than ever ,Now iam playing unstoppable
  99. Jul 25, 2014
    I really dont understand why people are not happy with one of the best titles of the series. The strategy level of the game is really the best ever and the adition of limited number of generals/admirals a very good adition by far.
    Do not listen to the wining and grab a copy today. You owe it to yourself.
  100. Sep 17, 2013
    At launch this game was an unrefined bore.

There were some minor bugs, serious AI problems including it just being outright brain dead, and the visuals clearly didn't stand up to the screenshots and video we were shown prior to release. As of now the AI is at a basic level competent and I've even had an AI join me in battle on the campaign map against a giant army my legions may have
    At launch this game was an unrefined bore.

As of now the AI is at a basic level competent and I've even had an AI join me in battle on the campaign map against a giant army my legions may have otherwise been overrun by. I haven't noticed anymore bugs and they've made some small basic improvements here and there. The visual quality hasn't improved at all though the general performance seems to have at least.

Its sad to have to say fixes after release are a boon but in its current state I'd say the game is just fine and all I really hope is that they release an expansion soon to expand upon political stuff as the first trailer of the game hinted it would have in the first place.

You may think 8/10 is a good rating, but I expected to give it a 10/10 on launch day. As far as I'm concerned this game is disappointingly passable.

1. Nov 18, 2013
    The game is far less polished than Shogun 2, and a few more patches will help, but Rome II is still a flawed game that is underwhelming when compared to previous titles in the franchise.
  2. Nov 6, 2013
    And here’s the rub: every addition, every sub-system, every mechanic is subservient to War. War is what Total War is really about. Everything else not directly related to conflict comes across as ancillary. Rome II is a game for warmongers, on both the campaign map and, obviously, on the battlefield. When peace is happening, nothing is happening. When war is happening, Rome comes alive.
  3. Oct 28, 2013
    If you will play literally anything featuring Total War and Rome in the same title and don't value your time, this is for you. [Nov 2013, p.80]