Total War: Rome II PC

• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Sep 3, 2013
4.2

1. Jun 3, 2016
    I got this game way after the ordeals experienced by many at release. I have to mention that when I compare the two versions (the initial release and Emperor Edition) side by side, the improvements are definitely noticeable. My problem, though, is the fact that after three years since release some very obvious mistakes are still in the game. Some of them can be fixed or improved with mods,I got this game way after the ordeals experienced by many at release. I have to mention that when I compare the two versions (the initial release and Emperor Edition) side by side, the improvements are definitely noticeable. My problem, though, is the fact that after three years since release some very obvious mistakes are still in the game. Some of them can be fixed or improved with mods, but in the end they are still gamebreaking.

First off: The campaign victory conditions are utterly ridiculous and will take ages to achieve (100-200 hours to finish one campaign, depending on your resolve). Sooner rather than later you will find that the game has slowed down to a grind, whatever faction you play. The Steam global achievements for this game tell me that not a lot of people finish their campaigns on harder difficulties - and the reason is not because it's too difficult to handle. In previous games there were short and long campaign modes, but this one has neither - it has just one and it should be labelled "eternal mode". Therefore playing several campaigns to experience the different factions is pretty much out of the question.

Autoresolving is overpowered. I understand that the developers want to limit the time spent on campaign battles by having us choose to skip some where the outcome is fairly certain. This system is TOO EASY to abuse. THE MORE MEN YOU USE TO OUTNUMBER AN ENEMY, THE LESS CASUALTIES YOU SUSTAIN. And that's another gamebreaker, because once your empire is large enough, it's easy to outnumber the enemy in battles, especially if you're using Radious mod to overcome the other problems with the game (thankfully, Radious can be implemented in parts and you don't have to install the campaign mod that does this). Two changes in the code would've fixed this easy: 1 - attacking walled settlements or villages with high defensive ratings should cause you more casualties; 2 - replenishing your armies in recently conquered territories should be drastically lowered. At the current state you can just blitzkrieg your way through enemy regions once you have a few armies to spare for an offensive. The only mechanic stopping you is local unrest, most of which decays the next turn. Autoresolving is why you probably won't finish the game. At one point the battles requiring your presence will be bygones and you are tempted to just autoresolve all the way through - not the Total War I know.

Marketing. Unfortunately SEGA has gone down the route of several other corporations in the video game industry. Now you don't even get the complete game upon purchase. Guess what, most of the interesting factions you'll have to buy separately. I should mention that the factions are already in the game, but you'll have to dish out more $ just to be allowed to play them. In fact, the whole DLC collection costs more than the game itself, while adding very little content, or content that should be in the main game.

Not enough unit variation. Uncle Radious will help you out here, just download his unit packs in the Workshop.

Lack of settlement models. Considering the fact that the game is expecting millions of players to finish the campaigns, they should have added way more settlement types in the game. I've been playing barbarian factions and I've been through all of the barbarian territories - every single one of them chooses between four or five different models. FOUR OR FIVE models for more than 40 barbarian regions? Excuse me for **** but learning strategies by heart and replaying them in different scenarios at different locations is not how I've come to love TW.

4TPY mod is a must. Without this your generals and agents are highly unlikely to become specialized in anything and will die of old age very fast - agents in particular are absolutely essential and in higher difficulties in vanilla they will stress you out very, very bad. They don't add a challenging aspect to the game, they are just a bigtime annoyance that have the power to stop entire armies turn after turn and wither away all your men. If you don't have skilled agents, good luck doing... anything!

There are more bad features, but there are features to credit as well.

Despite some bugs like javelinmen not throwing their spears when they should, battles are a lot of fun with the Blood & Gore installed. It's proper madness in every aspect. Ballistas projecting massive rocks through enemy ranks, knocking them back in either direction; Arrows and thrown spears pierce the enemy in a very visual way - lots of gore; the individual fights between men in combat are detailed and visual. When you got the time to observe how it all goes down on ground level, it's one of the better features in this game.

Campaign map looks aesthetic, so do the interactions between characters. Although for some reason they often move Sonic-style fast and you can't slow that down. The new province system is great - much less micromanagement and way more comprehensive
  2. May 20, 2016
    I strongly reccomend watching the best review ever made for this game:

| https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXkWfEIALxM |

All credits go to Reynold Sanity, i love you man!
  3. Mar 22, 2016
    Pece of crap game from a piece of crap studio working for a piece of crap publisher.

There was a time when CA made games for love, now they make fail games to keep Sega happy.
  4. Mar 13, 2016
    I should've been getting the hint when people told me that I need mods to enjoy this game...
    Even total war games can fail at the times, and this one is it.
    Something is just off with this one and just trying to ignore it and keep playing is not worth it when there's good total wars available.
    Empire, Rome, Shogun.. take your pick and I can tell you get a better experience than with this one.
  5. Feb 21, 2016
    For a game that is supossed to replace the orriginal this is just sad. Graphics are good, but the AI and the user interface just sucks, uninstalled the game now, off to the orriginal again.
  6. Feb 15, 2016
    I am astonished at the state of this game. Did they think that I wouldn’t notice the clumsy interface, the wretched documentation, the absolutely untenable naval combat, the weird bugs, the lock-ups, the game-killing glitches? Did they think I wouldn’t notice the AI? Did they really think this was an acceptable AI for a single-player game? A single player game with disappointingI am astonished at the state of this game. Did they think that I wouldn’t notice the clumsy interface, the wretched documentation, the absolutely untenable naval combat, the weird bugs, the lock-ups, the game-killing glitches? Did they think I wouldn’t notice the AI? Did they really think this was an acceptable AI for a single-player game? A single player game with disappointing multiplayer compared to the clever multiplayer in their last release? Expand
  7. JXL
    Jan 17, 2016
    I have been defending rome 2 since it came out against all the terrible reviews. That ends now. They have done a terrible job with the cooperative campaign. So many glitches. The final straw was the inability of my coop ally to reinforce me and vice versa, while still killing the troops that were supposed to reinforce. if you do not want to make coop viable...don't build it.
  8. Jan 8, 2016
    low fps, bad ai, bad diplomacy, complicated interface, unnecessary country, too much turning time, boring and nonsencial details... i think rome 1 is better than this. also dlc scams exploit you
  9. Oct 4, 2015
    It's been 2 years, the final patch has been released and so much stuff is still broken. AI will clump it's units into groups and wait to die, the prologue has no objectives or tutorial teaching you the game outside of the initial battle. To make everything worse this is still a highly priced game with no complete edition and DLC still segmented off into expensive packs.
  10. Aug 11, 2015
    I'm very disappointed with this game. For several reasons mainly the poor game mechanics and features.
    The worst by far is the building system which is an absolute catastrophe! What happened? There are 6 building slots for the region capitals and 3-4 for the minor towns. That's it??? There are a few different branches of construction like religious buildings, industrial buildings, commercial buildings etc. Then you choose what kind of building in each branch you want to build. But you better choose carefully cause you only have a few slots to build on. This makes the building system extremely limited and boring! But the worst of all is the effects from the various buildings. You can upgrade buildings from level 1 to 4 (or sometimes 5). Up to level 2 it usually fine but as soon as you upgrade to level 3 or more the buildings bring negative effects as well as positive (only very few exceptions). Basically it either reduces public order due to squalor or it consumes food. It follows a system only based on building level and category since it makes no sense at all based on what the building actually is! The lack of effort is amazing, its like the made a system first with the effects from the buildings and then randomly filled in the empty spaces with a name of a building and a picture. Its so poorly designed that you are actually being punished for upgrading the buildings. Why????? To me this ruins the entire game and make it unplayable. Compare it to Rome 1 or Medieval 2 where you had more building in one city than i a whole region with 4 cities in Rome 2 and with no limitations. But I guess that's to complicated for the "wider audience".

Another thing that's been dumbed down is the population system. Instead of showing the actual population and the percentage of growth based on different factors which made town development and planning interesting in Rome 1 and Medieval 2. It now shows the growth in plain numbers and the required accumulated growth to get a population surplus. When you have enough population surplus you expand the city with a new building slot (unless you already have the maximum number of 3-6 slots). I guess % and numbers above 500 is to complicated too.

Next is the extremely simplified and boring traits and retinue system for generals. Its limited to 3 traits and 1 retinue per general. Plus 1 bonus you get to choose at each level up (which follows standard template for all characters). In Rome 1 your general received traits and retinue based on events in his life and with no limits to the number of traits. For example if he lost health in battle he would get the trait scarred which had some effect on his influence and popularity and so on. Which made it interesting to shape a character and follow him throughout his life. Traits could be inherited as well. In Rome 2 your generals lacks personality and get replaced automatically when they die, then you go through exact the same process of choosing upgrades for the new guy at level up. You just don't care about them. On the other hand the 10 year old's of the wider audience probably don't appreciate a sophisticated system of character traits.

But if you are one of those who don't care about strategy and planning and challenge and so on, don't worry your armies will replenish themselves automatically (no retraining here) you can stop and kill almost an entire army with a couple of spies and then finish the job with a few units that's easier to manage.

I wont say much about the graphics since its not that important to me personally but could the unit cards, building pictures (or rather lack of) etc be any more boring and same looking? They actually had to give buildings different color backgrounds to be able to distinguish them from other type of buildings

The AI is too poor to mention, its not worth the attention.

If the next game in the series continue on the same path as this it will be a point and click linear game with an advisor saying click on this enemy to kill it, well done! Click on this settlement to make it happy.

The things i like about this game:
    I welcome the region system with a fortified capital and smaller towns with no walls.
    Useful garrison armies.
    Beautiful campaign map

So this game is a huge step backwards for the franchise. Things don't make sense. Rome 1 was infinitely better. They betrayed the fans and stripped away everything that was good and unique to have a much much simpler game so that people who uses a computer for the first time in their life also can play and enjoy. They could have made a great game but they just didn't want to and didn't care.

I give it a poor rating mostly because it's such a disappointment from previous games. A sequel should be better than the game before. It would score slightly better if this had been the first game in a franchise.
  11. Jul 27, 2015
    From the score you see above you may consider that this game is somewhere in the area of crap, and yet its true.

If you install few mods from Steam, there will be enormous choice of fractions to play both in custom battles and campaign. One of the best features in Total War games is campaign, and examples of Empire and Shogun total war are confirming that. However, in this game

However, in this game there is nothing special holding you from carrying on long campaign play through, as politics and economics features as well as poor user interface(in my opinion) are stopping you from doing that.

Now, as I have noticed from many user reviews, optimization is a great issue. Surprisingly, in contrast to all trailers and demos before the release of this game, graphics are not very good. Moreover, benchmark test for performance made me and my friends laugh as faces of Roman soldiers are looking like orcs or goblins from The Lord of the Rings.

Talking about performance, my PC is running Battlefield 4 at 80 fps least on Ultra settings, while GTA 5 is flying at 75 fps average on Ultra settings as well. Yet, this piece of sh!t is still lagging on me, in fact, that forced me to write this review.

So considering price tag at the release date and all the issues connected with this game, I think 4 - 6 is a fair score, not minding critics opinions, as most of us know, they are not the most reliable source to judge products.
  12. Jun 19, 2015
    This is the worst Total War Game ever. After the game finally completed its loading process you are confronted with a game plot which drags on endlessly. I've just bought this game out of laziness, because Rome I was not working on my Windows 8 and I wanted to check out the new version, why not? But at the first version everything went very smoothly and you could proceed in the game richThis is the worst Total War Game ever. After the game finally completed its loading process you are confronted with a game plot which drags on endlessly. I've just bought this game out of laziness, because Rome I was not working on my Windows 8 and I wanted to check out the new version, why not? But at the first version everything went very smoothly and you could proceed in the game rich in variety and clearly. Now you don't understand why your army (two armies with 20 units each) gets crushed by 15 hostile basic units or why an agent or army simply can't move, by the way played by an intermediary level. Why can't I move my army without an appointed general? Where is this option to demand money or I declare war? Why can't I build watchtowers? Why can't I blackmail any of the other gaming characters? Why does the army entities have such a comic like design? What are the stupid missions all about? (Hire an agent even if I already have 3???) And why the hell does it need a complete minute to end a round or to load a fight?????!!!!
    I'M SO DISAPPOINTED! The money is definitively NOT worth it.
  13. Jun 16, 2015
    Anger... not something I have ever associated with an evening of gaming, but this particular title has raised such a wave of it in me that I feel compelled to warn all viewers of this post to stay the hell away from this game.
    if you still want this game you will need the following
    1- the worlds next supercomputer to load it in any kind of respectable time. 2- some monster of a graphics
    if you still want this game you will need the following
    1- the worlds next supercomputer to load it in any kind of respectable time.
    2- some monster of a graphics card, which still wont be enough.
    3- lightning fast Internet to download this massive file and all its patches.
    4- €$£ to pay for all the DLC (costs about as much as the game itself).
    5- a Metacritic account so u can join the rest of us in trying to dispel some of our fury at having been cheated out of what should have been a game of epic proportions.

please don't waste money on this like i did
  14. Jun 14, 2015
    I'm late to the game on writing this review, but I just want to make sure no one wastes their money needlessly.

This game is OK at best. It's not terrible, but you'd be better of just buying the original RTW. The interface on this game was designed by Helen Keller. Which means truly few things come intuitively and all these interface and control issues show their wicked teeth during battle.

I have no Fing idea what my troops are doing. I just don't. There's almost no facilities in the game to show me what they're doing. I'm constantly, CONSTANTLY accidentally moving my troops. That alone is a good enough reason for me not to play this game.

The camera issues existed with the old version of Rome total war but I managed... for over 400 hours of gameplay. I've played this game for maybe 20 hours, but I knew the camera was retarded within the first few seconds while I was trying to stage my troops for a battle. YOU JUST CAN'T ZOOM OUT FAR ENOUGH. WHY WOULD DO THAT!!!?!>?! WHY!>!>!> wtf is wrong with you morons. seriously?

Trying to get your troops to stay in formation is actually impossible with RTW2. It's just so sad how they managed to screw up something so fundamental. Why is this important? Well, it guts the S out of RTS(Real Time Strategy ), because your formation is what you use to:
    - form a defensive line
    - flank the enemy
    - regroup in a nonretarded fashion
    - be able to actually watch the battle instead of a big blob of troops

the pathing and combat in this game is comically bad. about 10 percent of your troops follow your orders, about 30 percent are tripping on LSD, the rest are just sitting in the back wondering where the hell they are.

They nailed morale in the first version of RTW, MOST of the time, units ran away because they were suffering truly terrible causalities. In RTW2, if someone, somewhere, does something (this includes baking a cake), your army will surly flee.

I didn't really enjoy the ability to select how your general leveled up. It just doesn't make sense... think about it. If you're general inherently enslaves the people he captures... that would give him personality and leadership traits of a slaver. My question... should I have to select that trait now that he leveled up or should he just get those traits because HE'S ALREADY DOING THEM. Leveling in RTW was superior in every possible way to RTW2.

The political aspect is slightly more mature imo with RTW2. That said, no one cares.... It's an RTS and the banner on every one of these games says "Total War". I wonder who your target audience is? They must care about fictional politics a lot... or maybe they prefer the RTS part of RTS.

Pretty disappointing game... I don't think people should buy this.
  15. Jun 3, 2015
    to the people who rated this game at an extremely high score are paid out liars. I played the game for about 4 hours and the game isn't even that good. I hadn't the played the game for long time because it kept crashing. there are some good things about the game that i like, like when you finish a battle against an army you get to decide about the prisoners you captured by enslaving themto the people who rated this game at an extremely high score are paid out liars. I played the game for about 4 hours and the game isn't even that good. I hadn't the played the game for long time because it kept crashing. there are some good things about the game that i like, like when you finish a battle against an army you get to decide about the prisoners you captured by enslaving them to help build your cities more quickly but will have a downside. I think that the developers of creative assembly really want to perfect the game but they were rushed by the greedy CEO's just to make a quick buck off of the consumer. the crashes and updates that failed to fix the game proves that the company doesn't give a **** about the consumer only their greed and lies Expand
  16. May 14, 2015
    A step backwards for the franchise.

The Total War game series conjures images of great strategy games, like Rome, Medieval, Shogun, heck, I'll even throw Empire on that list (it had some moments), but Rome 2, it goes on a different list. Rome 2 earns its place beside some of gaming's largest disappointments. Combat feels... wrong, go youtube a video of the game play. It's tough to
    A step backwards for the franchise.

Combat feels... wrong, go youtube a video of the game play. It's tough to explain. Rome 1's game engine was great, Rome 2's just isn't.

Diplomacy would make a squirrel on meth say "Calm it down spazz!" The same faction that attacks you in one turn, on the very next turn is offering you the world for peace. This isn't an every now and then thing, it's EVERY turn, you have to open the page every turn to keep track of who you are at war with.

Pass this one up. It's just not a very good game.
  17. May 13, 2015
    easily the worst total war game ever made .................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
  18. Mar 26, 2015
    An extreme disappointment. I can't understand some of the "10" scores. I imagine they are either not Total War fans, or they simply played the game for less than an hour. Lots of bugs, poor AI, and just a huge mess. Graphics and maps would be a step up, if not for all the bugs.
  19. Mar 8, 2015
    After more then 300 hours of frustrating, today I remove this garbage from my PC. When I thought that Creative Assembly touch the bottom with Shogun 2 TW, they sunk more deeper with Rome 2. RTS game? if in Rome 2 exist any strategy then pinball is strategic game too. AI is retarded, diplomacy does not exist at all, behave of AI faction in game is insane, when you control almost 3/4 of mapAfter more then 300 hours of frustrating, today I remove this garbage from my PC. When I thought that Creative Assembly touch the bottom with Shogun 2 TW, they sunk more deeper with Rome 2. RTS game? if in Rome 2 exist any strategy then pinball is strategic game too. AI is retarded, diplomacy does not exist at all, behave of AI faction in game is insane, when you control almost 3/4 of map "powerful" nation which holding one and only settlement offering you non aggression pact and ask money from you, every 2-3 turns, 2-3 small factions declare war on you, AI factions jumping over map and control one province in Asia minor and second in northern Europe, enemy units jumping over 5-6 territories to attack you, to get trade agreement you need a miracle, every turn is disrupt with some idiotic proposal and I could counting bad things until tomorrow. Grand campaign is insane too, objectives which you must fulfill are enormously, you need six month to finish single player grand campaign. They transform once great RTS game in some kind of shooting game. Expand
  20. Feb 28, 2015
    Decided to give it another try after almost 2 years in the "patching" process where they have sprayed numerous doses of huge "improvements" that actually aren't there.

I played day1 and stopped immediately once I witnessed how **** up the game is, I think it was released as a **** alpha and I played the latest version a few days ago, fully patched, the only thing I could definitely notice was the huge fps improvement, other that this nothing seems fixed.

The AI is like a miniature retarded puppet that twitches and freezes whenever you give him orders, there are thousands of pathfinding issues.

Uninstall and find something else to fill your time with, this **** is not even worth pirating.
  21. Feb 26, 2015
    The total war series has dwindled and now they just pump new ones out with better grahpics and minimal additions otherwise. In fact, I much prefer playing medieval 2 total war these days, as its actually fun to play.
  22. Feb 22, 2015
    Broken onslaught.
    No diplomacy.
    Strange boring stylistic.
    Very useless generals in battle.
    To strange power of veterans. Do not affect to the battle.

Do not buy this game.
  23. Feb 21, 2015
    I very much looked forward to this game. I spent countless hours playing it. At one point, playing as Rome, I controlled all of Europe and most of North Africa. Just as I was getting ready to invade Greece, the number of rebellions in rear areas was simply out of control. In out of the places, like the northern Baltic, small settlements could rebel and create armies that were moreI very much looked forward to this game. I spent countless hours playing it. At one point, playing as Rome, I controlled all of Europe and most of North Africa. Just as I was getting ready to invade Greece, the number of rebellions in rear areas was simply out of control. In out of the places, like the northern Baltic, small settlements could rebel and create armies that were more powerful and larger than anything I could field. How elephants can magically show up here is beyond fantasy. Also, the covert actions were far more organized by my various enemies than could be believed. Within a few turns northern Italy, most of Spain and the Baltic states were lost to vast armies that magically appeared. It would have been nice to have been warned, but even if you were, these rear area revolts were simply too strong. A turn or two later Rome fell and I lost interest in this game. If I were to suggest an improvement to the game, I would allow the building or improvement of fortifications of settlements. This would have stopped the loss of far flung outposts because they were just too weak to defend against huge rebel armies. I will not go into the poor AI in the battles, many people have already done that. The Roman army was famous for building structures like forts and defenses, this is lacking in this game. Expand
  24. Feb 17, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Terrible mechanics, enemy agent a permanent stop my army and the enemy was able to capture two of my main city, after which I lost and then went out and departed this game. HOW? As a small bum could stop an army of thousands of people for 5 years? !!!! 1 day maybe 2 days, too, the week is almost impossible, but not f***ing 5 YEARS! Expand
  25. Feb 17, 2015
    It's more like Total Fail, than Total War. No in depth diplomatic systems, no in depth political system, just random actions.

My god, this was the worse Total War game I ever played, I really don't understand what's going with CA, Shogun 2 was really amazing and I thought I could only get better, but I didn't knew how creedy SEGA was, the ruined everything.
  26. Jan 29, 2015
    I disliked the game because of the combat mostly. It just feels so weird and fake compared to the older titles (Medieval 2, Rome I). I can't really put my finger on it, but the battles just feel bad, the blobbing, the collisions, nothing feels or looks good... In M2 when your cav charged into the flanks of the enemy army, it felt impactful and snappy. In this game it looks very week andI disliked the game because of the combat mostly. It just feels so weird and fake compared to the older titles (Medieval 2, Rome I). I can't really put my finger on it, but the battles just feel bad, the blobbing, the collisions, nothing feels or looks good... In M2 when your cav charged into the flanks of the enemy army, it felt impactful and snappy. In this game it looks very week and not epic in any way whatsoever. Also, the AI acts very weirdly sometimes and generally feels like no progress has been done in that regard. All in all, not feeling this installation of TW. Expand
  27. Jan 27, 2015
    A very disappointing entry in the serious marginally improved by a years worth of patching. Sieges are still horrendous affairs, but not in the way we all hoped for, and naval battles are essentially unplayable. The political system may as well not exist for all the impact it has on your game, and why would you care about being emperor anyway when you've got no stinkin' family?!
  28. Jan 22, 2015
    Every problem was brought up unchanged from the previous game and added up with new ones thanks for many half-tested features. While some of these problems have been fixed, like the complete absence of AI to deal with specific but regular situations (like sieges) the problems intrinsic to the engine still stand. All big fights devolve into 1v1 duels like in Shogun II (no single unit can beEvery problem was brought up unchanged from the previous game and added up with new ones thanks for many half-tested features. While some of these problems have been fixed, like the complete absence of AI to deal with specific but regular situations (like sieges) the problems intrinsic to the engine still stand. All big fights devolve into 1v1 duels like in Shogun II (no single unit can be attacked by more than one unit), making melee battles last than it reasonably should (even if it's one elite survivor against a whole mob). The battle mechanics also changed unreasonably from the previous Rome title, turning pikemen in phalanx from the previous unpassable wall to a murder machine to anything that dares a frontal assault and making some hybrid units only able to use ammunition when charging. The siege machines also have an absurd degree of precision for its time, particularly when using first-person mode (you can actually point the general location you want your projectile to land, unlike Shogun II on which you had to guess its trajectory based on angle and distance). The naval battles, the first big "improvement" to the series (marines, for the first time, can disembark and help in land battles), also suffer from the same problems as land battles during boarding (1v1 duels), boarding can't be disengaged under any circumstance and several glitches still plague it (jumping marines for example, on which your tripulation jumped off ship as a boarding action, only to inexplicably fly high and drown by landing on the sea). If it wasn't enough, the ONLY thing worthwhile about voice acting in this game is Mark Strong as the narrator as they didn't bother with the factions languages (not even making a fake eastern/greek/latin/celtic-esque accent) unlike the previous titles.

All in all, it's a poor Total War game. Stick to the previous titles as they didn't have as many killjoy bugs as this one. CA is offering here a bad product as the graphics will be nowhere as good as trailers show (tons of videos on Youtube to show what this game really looks like on Ultra, with often hilarious results when zooming in the individual units) and most official reviews were done by people paid to put up a good word for the game or too lazy to actually research the previous titles and evaluate the overall improvement (or lack of).
  29. Jan 18, 2015
    I have no idea why all "critics" give this game so high scores
    Becasue its huge ass AAA game? So it will get high scores no matter what
    Why only Quarter to Three saw how idiotic game is??? How horrible it is compared to older titles, I dont even start with bugs and crashes, slowdowns and glitches, because after one **** year this game is at least playable (but why would anyone play it
    I have no idea why all "critics" give this game so high scores
    Becasue its huge ass AAA game? So it will get high scores no matter what
    Why only Quarter to Three saw how idiotic game is???
    How horrible it is compared to older titles, I dont even start with bugs and crashes, slowdowns and glitches, because after one **** year this game is at least playable (but why would anyone play it is for another story)

Next game will be Warhammer total war, what the **** this game series died after Medieval 2, with horrible new Warscape engine and transition to causal audience (which is idiotic and half retarded by that scores and sales)
    Empire -idiotic ai, at least enine was good for ranged combat
    Shogun -polished warscape, still retarded melee and arcade-ish combat where your soldiers just mix together into one huge mess
    Rome 2 -total crap (badum tsss)

I give this game 2 points, one is for funny glitches I had during my short gameplay and one is for hope ...who knows maybe they will return to roots and to their core base ...who am I kidding? its Sega, they will always target wides possible audience and will care about their pockets
  30. Dec 27, 2014
    This is my first review. I decided to create an account so I could write the review I would like to have had read before buying this game. This game is NOT like previous Total War games that I've loved! The UI is very different and confusing. The whole feel of the game is different. You start off limited to only two armies, so defending is a pain in the butt. There may be a wayThis is my first review. I decided to create an account so I could write the review I would like to have had read before buying this game. This game is NOT like previous Total War games that I've loved! The UI is very different and confusing. The whole feel of the game is different. You start off limited to only two armies, so defending is a pain in the butt. There may be a way around this, but like I said, it is confusing, and not interesting enough to really want to learn it. It might be okay if you aren't expecting a game that is ANYTHING like the original Rome Total War or Medieval Total War. The battle are similar, but the campaign is an entirely different game. I am very disappointed that CA decided to move away from something that really worked. Expand
  31. Dec 25, 2014
    I gave this game a year to fix itself from the terrible release state but it still has glaring problems.

Bad UI that fails at showing you unit status whilst at the same time blocking a big part of the screen Poor optimization Confusing unit cards Stale battles due to scripted kill moves Units don't feel like they have weight when they collide Politics suck and is a useless gimmick

Poor optimization
    Confusing unit cards
    Stale battles due to scripted kill moves
    Units don't feel like they have weight when they collide
    Politics suck and is a useless gimmick
    No avatar conquest mode
  32. Dec 8, 2014
    Boy am I glad I didn't pay for this game. Despicable launch issues and disgusting day 1 DLC's aside, Rome 2 is a cancerous mess that took the overall excellent concept from Shogun 2 and fundamentally ruined it entirely. The AI is a bunch of dumb bricks, Tech trees are linear as all hell, generals and agents die every other week from "natural causes" leaving any real character developmentBoy am I glad I didn't pay for this game. Despicable launch issues and disgusting day 1 DLC's aside, Rome 2 is a cancerous mess that took the overall excellent concept from Shogun 2 and fundamentally ruined it entirely. The AI is a bunch of dumb bricks, Tech trees are linear as all hell, generals and agents die every other week from "natural causes" leaving any real character development to be absolutely pointless as the developers had to make the disgusting new "Family" features be used somehow, city expansion through warring is absolutely retarded as the game DEMANDS you need to rush-build culture and religious buildings to avoid, and I'm not kidding now, a whopping -75 to a -100 out of a possible +100 "Unhappiness" in cities you occupy as peacefully as possible. ON THE NORMAL DIFFICULTY LEVEL.

To put it into a comparison, stacking a maximum sized grand army with the most hardiest of units lead by a fearsome general into a city's garrison will net you about 15-20 happiness. Build 2-3 very expensive buildings that help the population's happiness and you might bump that up into maybe the 30 mark.. Exempt the city from paying taxes and you got another 20. This still leaves you with a -50 city unhappiness and rebels WILL flood your gates. IT. IS. INSANE. I played as the Germanic barbarians, conquered 3 cities, rushed every singe stability & happiness building I had on all of them while specializing in construction (to make these happiness & stability buildings better), declared peace, lowered taxes to the minimum for about 30-45 years (turns) and I STILL HAD MASSIVE REBEL & SLAVE UPRISINGS EVERY YEAR.

The new UI is a crystal clear example on why you shouldn't try to fix what ain't broken. The battle unit controls have been hamstered by making one M1 click be the command for units to get in a line (removing your ability to De-select all units as was commonly wanted in Shogun 2 while having Mouse button 2 + drag be that EXACT EXISTING COMMAND FROM THE PREVIOUS GAMES), they removed the convenient control ball you had on the bottom left where you could tell selected units to turn in unison, back away or more forward mere inches. While a bit confusing to beginners, it was FUNCTIONAL. What did they get to replace it? Calling this a replacement would be an overstatement since you can no longer do any real precise movements but what we got instead is an ball-busting charade of moronic and messy "Formations" that pretty much only adhere to all your units on the board at once. Flanking? Ambushes? Tactics? What's that?

And don't even get me started on the camera. You have either the choice of watching from space with a telescope, being unable to see anything clearly or zoom in and have your nipples be plowing the ground and your nose stuck in a random soldier's armpit. While the camera in Shogun 2 was nowhere near perfect, this one makes a bad situation even worse as If you are all the way down on the ground, It will "Lock" itself onto there and require you to tell it to go up TWICE. Fail to do that over and over again flawlessly in the midst of battle and the camera will instead just change the angle of staring into a random armpit to a nearby sweaty blood-stained crotch of your fellow soldier because the developers thought It would be a good idea to leave the camera design to some random guy off the street with Alzheimer's sniffing paint.

Moving past that, the AI diplomacy reminds me of whining children, constantly pestering you about wanting free money, military access, alliances and trade agreements every other 5 years. While not bad in itself as you can conquer them to make them shut up, IT CANNOT BE TURNED OFF OR AVOIDED IN ANY WAY DURING THE LOADING SCREENS. And If you conquer the annoying spammers, you'll get new borders with other spammers! An endless cycle of annoyance created as a place-holder for actual AI relationships due to lazy design.

I could keep on pouring sewer on this game but I don't want to spill any on my shoes so I'll simply suggest everyone to avoid it.. Unless you enjoy swimming in feces.
  33. Nov 28, 2014
    I really liked the first rme total war, medieval total war, shogun, empire and even napoleon.
    But now they lost me completely, this game is bad. period.
    it feels like you're playing beta all the time, the graphics are really crappy (and i have a geforce gtx 880), the ai does stupid maneuvers,...

it's crap basicly
  34. Nov 16, 2014
    i didnt think creative assembly could messed it up cuz they are good develpers and has good record
    but it was slap to fans face. everything in this game is steps back from rome 1
    not to mention huge framemate problems, every moments u have to fight glitches, non responsiveness and bugs instead of units. even high end computers cant run this game on high setting without lag or
    but it was slap to fans face. everything in this game is steps back from rome 1
    even high end computers cant run this game on high setting without lag or stuttering. thinking the game looks not better than rome1 i wonder dev leave programming of the game to their interns
    biggest let down. luckily i didnt upgrade my com to play this which saved me $$$ and bitter disappointment
  35. Nov 5, 2014
    There are thousands of reviews and thus I do not expect this to be seen. And there is little to nothing I can say that wasn't said, or wasn't said better, elsewhere. I am simply posting to add my score.

I was mad just the same as everyone else. The difference, however, is that I was expecting it. I was expecting graphical and technical glitches galore. I was expecting bad AI. And I even expected, although hoped against, the game's mechanics that weren't pulled out in Shogun 2 weren't further widdled or dumbed down. And I got what I expected.

There is little variety to troops between factions, there's little variety to the gameworld, there's no role-playing/story elements like was promised, economy is incredibly simple and easy, AI is horrible on the campaign map and in battle, and multiplayer did not work for the longest time.

In all, it seems all facets of the game are worse. If only the probably hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars spent on motion capture, that doesn't even seem that great or functional, was spent on making a better game.

Note: Kudos for releasing free factions with each DLC expansion. And kudos for patching the game constantly (although that wins little points as there should have been fewer problems to begin with).

Objectively I want to rate this game a "5" as it's playable and has fun elements of other Total War games I've enjoyed... but for some reason I just can't have fun playing this game. Unfortunately I must give it a "4".

The game is clearly inferior to prior titles. I do not expect this to change. My only wonder is if this will affect future sales of new titles.
  36. Oct 22, 2014
    Its been a little over a year since my last review and little has changed.
    The same stupid flaws of the game remain, all thats been done to improve things is add more DLCs to make more money.
    The game is the same as Empire, was an absolute nightmare.. that was their OPEN BETA... When Napoleon came out, it was much improved.. errors from Empire fixed etc. Now Attila is coming out, Rome
    Its been a little over a year since my last review and little has changed.
    When Napoleon came out, it was much improved.. errors from Empire fixed etc.
    Now Attila is coming out, Rome 2 support is basically at a finish.
    The next game will be the Full Release, as Rome 2 was the Beta
  37. Oct 12, 2014
    The game's still not fixed a year after release, CA flat out lied about many features that either haven't been added, or don't work. The best part is they want to sell you an expansion for many of these fixes. Despicable.
  38. Oct 11, 2014
    After a year; nothing but bugs and shallow game play. I've spent more time trying to make the game work than playing it, while my computer can run any other game on max settings fine. I'm done with Total War and Sega (after playing and buying every game since Medieval II).
  39. Oct 10, 2014
    it's just a terrible terrible game. the AI is complete derp and when i tell my units to skirmish they hurr derp durr around until the enemy kills them. any time a give an order to a unit one or two guys will obey the order and the rest of the unit will derp looking at the cool things in between their toes until the enemy charges them from behind. I should be able to build walls around allit's just a terrible terrible game. the AI is complete derp and when i tell my units to skirmish they hurr derp durr around until the enemy kills them. any time a give an order to a unit one or two guys will obey the order and the rest of the unit will derp looking at the cool things in between their toes until the enemy charges them from behind. I should be able to build walls around all of my cities. i should be able to manage garrisons. if some enemy agent comes and flexes their muscles at my army the whole army can't move or reinforce the next turn; that literally makes zero sense, "our friends are dying 2 inches to the left but we can't help because of that guys muscles". this game is seriously embarrassing and CA should never be allowed to make another game ever again. literally the most frustrating game i have ever played. I will not be buying the next total war game. Expand
  40. Oct 9, 2014
    Bugs, too long time spent by wainting, too big promises, boring. UI is horibble. Where is good options like for example guard button. And it's not cheap game. The worst strategy I played.
  41. Oct 1, 2014
    The cradle has truly fallen here. A year has passed, numerous obnoxious DLC's have been released and more money has been asked for, yet we are still left with BUGS THAT ARE HERE NOT EVEN SINCE THE RELEASE BUT SINCE EMPIRE TOTAL WAR. I suppose they are called "features" these days. Ever since SEGA took over as publisher the series has been in decline, by my standards, culminating in thisThe cradle has truly fallen here. A year has passed, numerous obnoxious DLC's have been released and more money has been asked for, yet we are still left with BUGS THAT ARE HERE NOT EVEN SINCE THE RELEASE BUT SINCE EMPIRE TOTAL WAR. I suppose they are called "features" these days. Ever since SEGA took over as publisher the series has been in decline, by my standards, culminating in this sinking of Rome. The theme here is: release a product with content withheld, then force the saddened customer to be drip fed all the proper parts of the game via DLC. The series before SEGA stepped in , lacked only proper multiplayer servers, the rest worked and was a pleasure to play, a work of love. Post SEGA... multiplayer stability is as always not here but the single player experience has been destroyed as well, particularly in this release. The multiplayer campaign suffers from the exact same problems in all it's iterations starting with the beta in empire and throughout Napoleon, Shogun II and now Rome II. There are no bugs in Total War: Rome II, the game itself is a giant Scolopendra on Your hdd. Expand
  42. Sep 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I do not know how the game has been improved since i played it on September 2013, but the first time I played it was the worst game I ever played, not even TW series. The first impression I had made me never play this "game" never again. Expand
  43. Sep 29, 2014
    I don't understand how such an experienced team like this could fails so hard in understanding what the fans wanted and to delivery. The only thing that makes this playable are mods, and they are made from Fans. I hope that the director, Tim Heaton, got fired for this failrure, he and his idic "90 metascore". Look where it brought you, fool.
  44. Sep 25, 2014
    This game is mostly made of frustration. Frustration of having a game that could have been great, but made terribly bad by stupid new features. Frustration of having paid full price for a beta version, that was solded -50% before it was even reasonably working.
    To sum up:
    To sum up:
    - limitation in armies number; therefore you can't leave a garrison, and this is made worse by the fact that armies walk a huge distance in a single turn, by the possibility the AI has to always refuse battles, by the possibility of taking a city within the turn. You simply chase flies (5 units armies) with hammers (full stacks), for the hammers cannot be splitted, the flies fly too fast to be hit, but can still take one of your cities; which you'll retake next turn while another city falls. So you get humbled by ridiculously bad armies because you can't fight them.
    - My elephants replenish within a few turns if I'm in Britain. The local elephants are known worldwide.
    - Navies are useless (so the joint battles feature has no use)
    - Battles are boring (but at least as of 09/2014, UI is correct, was not reasonnable before)
    - Politics are stupid & useless
    - "decisive event" : the worst ever. You get a rebellion... Like 12+ full stacks of high level veterans of the best units you can recruit (even if it was unlocked last turn and you don't possess any) appear out of thin air, while you possess 3 full stacks. Well the AI is so bad you can win if they did not appear in your capital, but... so ridiculous!
    - Bad AI, not nearly as good as the Shogun 2 AI
    Try Shogun2, especially FOTS instead. or Rome TW!
  45. Sep 13, 2014
    Rome II is a total letdown to all Total war fans. I have bought every game since Medieval Total War (except for Napoleon) and this game is the only game in the series absolutely deteste. Despite loads of patches Rome II is still a buggy mess. The few good things about RTW do mostly exist in the previous games and the game offers nothing new except revisiting the period.

The bad aspects

The bad aspects of this game are plentiful:
    - The collision detection is awful, which makes the battles look rather like orgies.
    - All buildings requires so much food that you barely can build anything interesting.
    - The guard button has been taken away which forces you to baby-sit your units.
    - The city expands so much in the campaign map when you build that it covers a huge chunk of the region.
    - The character interfaces in the campaign looks cheap and horrendously ugly.
    - The game is just unpolished in it's wholesome and there are loads of glitches where ever you look.

Do not even pick this game up at a big discount!
  46. Sep 9, 2014
    The first Rome Total War is one of my all time favorite games. With eager anticipation I pre-ordered Rome 2 on Steam after many years of waiting. However, I immediately had trouble running the game after the release, not a unique experience of course. I consoled myself with the fact that my pc was old and that it was at fault that the game was nearly unplayable.

Fast forward almost

Fast forward almost exactly a year later. After getting enough money together for a new gaming PC, I eagerly installed Rome 2 to finally have a real crack at the game. Sad to say, after 4 hours of play I find myself very disappointed. Even after a year of patches I find the campaign AI to be erratic and units in battle glitchy. The weird looking faces on the campaign map characters still happens and I generally feel that things are still a mess. I hope Creative Assembly learns from the mistakes it made with this game. It wasn't ready for release a year ago and, in view of the current state of the game, I think its still not at a place where it should be released had it been delayed until this year. Creative Assembly has been a company that has shown true vision over the years, I hope they haven't lost that.
  47. Sep 5, 2014
    terrible game
    is a light RTS for those that want spectacle with little depth.
    The AI is terrible, something that the developers keep saying they improve but each new tittle added to franchise shows them for the charlatans this company has become. They falsely advertise their games since medieval total war. Multiple patches later have fix nothing of worth except some bugs here and there,
    terrible game
    is a light RTS for those that want spectacle with little depth.
    Multiple patches later have fix nothing of worth except some bugs here and there, but the core game still remains broken. Unfortunately there seems to be a market for those that prefer strategy with little challenge so I doubt any fallowing tittle will see an improvement.
  48. Sep 4, 2014
    Well done, CA. I give up. Empire was a **** up which I can forgive because of the new engine, but now our relationship needs to end. You can't fix this.

- terrible graphics and optimization (how did you manage make it worse than in shogun?) - UI is total and absolute **** on the battles. Unit cards tell you nothing and the new top view is practically useless. - still no unit

- still no unit collisions. Oh how fun it is when everything devolves into a mass of retards. Third game with this engine, ****ing fix it already
    - still desyncs on coop campaign (again, third game with this engine)
    - AI is worse than ever before
    - DLC whoring. Make real expansions not this bull****.
    - stop dumbing down every ****ing thing. This is not a console game. There is no reason for it. Add features not take them away.

The most damning thing is the fact that by now the game has been out quite a while and it's still only marginally better. You can't or won't fix this, just like you did with Empire. I gave you a second change with Shogun, not going to give you a third one.

My advice: buy original Rome Total War, both of the Medieval Total Wars and Shogun. Don't touch anything else. Or on a second thought, just stop funding CA alltogether.
  49. Sep 4, 2014
    -Terrible optimization
    -Terrible graphics in comparison to Shogun 2
    -Clunkier user controls than ever before
    -Awful AI
    -More bugs than in any other TW game
    -Terrible unit cards
    -UI is confusing and downright ugly
    -Feels very unpolished

I HIGHLY recommend Shogun2 over this.
  50. Sep 2, 2014
    Total War: Rome 2 was released a year ago tomorrow, and it is still broken.

I'm a huge Total War fan. I've played every Total War game to date. Most I have logged hundreds of hours into with no regrets, until today. I was nearly half way through a promising new Macedonian grand campaign, when my controlled Athens fell under siege. It was a big surprise attack with massive game
    Total War: Rome 2 was released a year ago tomorrow, and it is still broken.

I was nearly half way through a promising new Macedonian grand campaign, when my controlled Athens fell under siege. It was a big surprise attack with massive game changing consequences on the line. The enemy brought several full army’s for a beach landing invasion of my Greek city. I had a full garrison complement and a veteran army to defend the city. It was sure to be a bloody, glorious day, win or lose. About 10 minutes into the battle the game started to stutter. A known problem since the games launch. It wasn't as bad as I had seen in before so I tried to play through it. The games stuttering increased the more I played. Like struggling in quicksand, it only got worse. Since the stuttering was also slowing down in game time, I had been playing this single battle for well over an hour. And it wasn't enjoyable one bit. My only option left was to quit the game. Which I did. But after seeing this game breaking bug/flaw one to many times. I decided to uninstall the game for good.

This is just the straw that broke the camels back. There were countless glitches and flaws in this game that made it a broken and/or bad game. I know that such glitches have plagued the Total War series since its inception, but they never ruined the experience quite like this before.

Total War: Rome 2 is a truly shameful display.
  51. Sep 1, 2014
    so let me get this straight. you have a slave revolt in a small town early in the game and a rebel army resulting has 7 full calvary units and 18 fully armed and trained units. where did they get the horses? the city didnt even have a stable. thats retarded. wouldnt a slave revolt be composed of disorganized but highly motivated mobs not a fully functioning well armed and trainedso let me get this straight. you have a slave revolt in a small town early in the game and a rebel army resulting has 7 full calvary units and 18 fully armed and trained units. where did they get the horses? the city didnt even have a stable. thats retarded. wouldnt a slave revolt be composed of disorganized but highly motivated mobs not a fully functioning well armed and trained army. loved tw1. this is beyond awful Expand
  52. Aug 29, 2014
    this game has destroyed my views of total war..... that is all you need

BUT i need 150 words so don't buy this game all of the bugs at launch made it unplayable but even with all the patches i think it is number 12 now the core game play is just no where near as good as shogun 2 ..... and all the meta scores giving it an amazing reviews seem a little suspicious to me =/
  53. Aug 22, 2014
    So Rome 2, Worse than i had hoped for, pretty much sums it up. But I suppose i should add more. My first experience was an all night download update after the initial install, followed by another 6 hour download, followed by another one.

Then i couldn't load the game because the steam "auto start" screen wouldn't open to the correct size. Once i finally got to play it, it was weird. I have played and own all the total war games, and i was confused. Took me a couple of solid days of play to get my head around the city building.

The combat mechanics are nothing we haven't seen before. The AI is nothing we haven't seen before. The gazillion factions make turn ending take forever. The graphics use massive resources(again nothing new there) but load times are acceptable.

Naval combat is just impossible to enjoy and I have just resorted to auto resolve. A real step backwards Creative Assembly.

Attacking siege battles are also incredibly difficult as the auto build siege equipment just doesn't really do anything except let your troops get killed. Again I have resorted to auto resolve and again a step backwards Creative Assembly.

What's with all the army formations that no one uses, just learn from your mistakes from Shogun 2, don't repeat them.

Diplomacy again nothing we haven't seen before

Did the developers at Creative Assembly have a stroke?

Anyone notice the massive sore difference between the critic score and the user score. Clearly the critics enjoy getting payed and not playing computer games.

Most people believe that you can't polish a turd, but Creative Assembly have sure done a mighty fine job of polishing this one.
  54. Aug 14, 2014
    This game is a joke, after shogun 2 this game is big fail in several aspects. The game is really bad optimized, you can use a good pc but you will have low fps. The battles are ridicously short, two armies of 2000 each can finish the battle in like 5 minutes and the naval battles are a **** chaos.

The unit cards are really ugly and confusing, the cities building system is a bit confusing too, no more cinematics when a battle starts or when an agent try to do some action.

The diplomacy is really broken too, IA factions dont know when they are losing a war and wont accept peace with you. The AI is really bad too, the AI factions camp all the time in their cities or will do kamikaze attacks....

I would continue with this review telling you all the fails of this game, CA really should say thx to the modders community because they saved this stupid broken game. I got it for 13€ and im not sure this worth it...but for 54€? hell no , dont worth your money.
  55. Aug 14, 2014
    So many negatives compared to the positives.

+ The fight and movement system is alright. (except for sieges) Graphics are not as good as they said, but they are alright. - Streamlining is the worst thing in this game, and it covers everything from techs, politics to battle. Release was horrible, but with all the patches the game didn't become good in the end. It is almost
    So many negatives compared to the positives.

The fight and movement system is alright. (except for sieges)
    Graphics are not as good as they said, but they are alright.

It is almost unmoddable, not counting making new units and stat changing. So it can't get any better.

They released this to get money. That's it, and no amount of PR and lies can change that.
  56. Aug 2, 2014
    Still broken nearly a year later. I bought this game at launch, multiplayer was poor at best due to all the crashes and the game breaking bugs. Plus the campaign had unintelligent AI and ridiculous bugs, one of which made it so after I hit end turn around turn 90ish it didn't do anything, even if I went back to turn 60 and tried something else, it just ended once I got back to turn 90ish.Still broken nearly a year later. I bought this game at launch, multiplayer was poor at best due to all the crashes and the game breaking bugs. Plus the campaign had unintelligent AI and ridiculous bugs, one of which made it so after I hit end turn around turn 90ish it didn't do anything, even if I went back to turn 60 and tried something else, it just ended once I got back to turn 90ish. So I uninstalled and WAITED AN ENTIRE YEAR to try again. So I re-installed a few days ago and everything seemed great, campaign ran smoothly, hell even the AI kind of knew how to fight battles now. Which was a big plus since before they'd just derp around your walls like it was a kid wearing a chastity belt in a whore house. They still pile up during village battles like it was a big orgy and you weren't invited, but whatever.

So I siege Carthage, which was under control of Syracuse (Good job making major factions still awful after a whole year CA, I always knew that generic faction that was wiped from history would make a comeback and rule the world someday) and look at that, 2 massive army stacks are protecting it, which is normal on hard+ difficulty. So I start the battle, and everything seems great for about 5 minutes, it's a huge battle, everyone is getting ready to die and then suddenly CRIPPLING unit lag sets in like my grandmothers alzheimer's and no one can remember how to even **** move. My FPS is still around 35fps and the camera is fine, it's the units that are moving at a snails pace and stuttering helplessly. So I pray to the Total War gods and turn my settings to Low, still doesn't work. I set it to max speed, no change, everyone just stutters about occasionally dying.

You know for a game based on warfare with massive armies numbering in the tens of thousands, you'd think they'd figure out a way to have 3000 vs 3000 work. Also the DLC I bought - Blood and Gore, isn't working right now, apparently the last patch broke it. CA charged you for blood in a game solely about killing people in huge battles that don't work, and lookit that blood doesn't work either, no wonder everyone just stuttered about like zombies.

/delete local content
    again.
  57. Aug 1, 2014
    I'm a big fan of the Total War series. The original Rome was great and that got me started, then Medieval 2 was a triumph. I loved Empire and Napoleon was OK but Shogun2 was not as good, killed my laptop (Core 2 Duo, 4Gb Ram, 1Gb NVidea graphics card supporting direct x 10) and Rome 2 is unplayable on it, I'm having to play it on my wife's desktop PC. What really annoys me, even more thanI'm a big fan of the Total War series. The original Rome was great and that got me started, then Medieval 2 was a triumph. I loved Empire and Napoleon was OK but Shogun2 was not as good, killed my laptop (Core 2 Duo, 4Gb Ram, 1Gb NVidea graphics card supporting direct x 10) and Rome 2 is unplayable on it, I'm having to play it on my wife's desktop PC. What really annoys me, even more than my inability to garrison my towns with units of my own choosing (GRRR) is the difficulty in changing the orientation of a unit. I had one battle where I was attacked in a fort and had barricades to erect but could I rotate them 90 degrees to block the side entrances? No. Then there's the crashes and the slow downs..... Expand
  58. Jul 31, 2014
    Hardcore Total War fan since the first Total War: Shogun.

I played Shogun, Rome, Medieval II (+ Americas) and Shogun II. I played all those titles for so many hours, they were an obsession. I probably spent more time on these games than I'm going to spend with my unborn children. Rome II is an abomination. I built my PC just so I could play it. The agony. The horrible mess it is...
    Hardcore Total War fan since the first Total War: Shogun.

Rome II is an abomination. I built my PC just so I could play it. The agony. The horrible mess it is... Every other reviewer has already nailed the issues so I won't reiterate. The biggest regret is that I bought it. I will never buy another CA title until I see they've fixed their issues.

How far will I go for Rome? As far as giving it a 0 and wanting a refund. That's how far.
  59. Jul 27, 2014
    Bad AI? YES / Worse than before? TRUE / What about seasons? BUY DLC / Sieging? STILL FRUSTRATING / Usable formations? WITH MOD / Nice units? DETAILED BUT UGLY / Worth buying? HELL NO
  60. Jul 25, 2014
    È quasi passato un anno ma questo titolo dopo ben 14 patch, fa veramente cacare, uno schifo totale. Città come Siracusa senza mura, unità stupide e banali come catapulte di nidi d'ape o scorpioni, flotte inutili perché gli eserciti vanno via mare senza bisogno di imbarcarsi, localizzazione mezza italiana e mezza inglese "soldati romani che parlano in inglese" at your order, immaginate,È quasi passato un anno ma questo titolo dopo ben 14 patch, fa veramente cacare, uno schifo totale. Città come Siracusa senza mura, unità stupide e banali come catapulte di nidi d'ape o scorpioni, flotte inutili perché gli eserciti vanno via mare senza bisogno di imbarcarsi, localizzazione mezza italiana e mezza inglese "soldati romani che parlano in inglese" at your order, immaginate, soldi buttati. Un aborto completo proprio. schifo schifo schifo Expand
  61. Jul 25, 2014
    I have loved and owned every Total war game sense Rome 1. But i must say this is the worst one i have ever played. I love total war and i just hope the next one will be better because this one has just made my insides hurt.
  62. Jul 24, 2014
    TW Rome II is a truly awful experience. Any person seeking to experience a renaissance of their time with the original TW Rome is in for a let down in almost every possible area.
    On a strategic level, the TW franchise has always been less complex than say, a dedicated turn based game like Civilization is, but Rome II takes the previous incarnation of Rome and dumbs it down in every interesting respect. There is no family tree control. No Senate activity relevant to the player whatsoever.
    Although there are three types of agents, all of them have such similar abilities and skill trees they might as well have only had one "mega agent" available to create. Speaking of agents, generals are now only useful in a military capacity. No more specialising generals for administration. If this was not enough to make you bored with your generals and agents early, they nature of the game is such that generals and agents are only likely to be alive for about twenty turns before they die from old age. You could almost say they are a metaphor for this franchise, if this is the direction they continue in. Twenty turns is certainly about as long as most players will want to play it anyway.
    On the tactical side, the units are boring. There is no reason to make any type of unit in any faction apart from a single top tier unit. Forget about balancing infantry, cavalry, ranged and siege units. Just make your faction's top unit. Even the lowest rated RTS game rewards combined arms, but not TW Rome II! Let's talk about the naval side. Rome II makes transport ships the epitome of naval warfare in this game. Dedicated naval warships need not apply. Just step your army into the water and auto that otherwise utterly broken sea battle.
    Which brings me to the battles in general. After months of patches, they are still awful. The worst in the series. Don't worry about the AI not being Hannibal like in its genius. Worry about the AI literally not getting off the boats so you cannot defeat them unless the timer is one and you happen to be defending. SO much else is bad about this game but I am running out of space. Do not buy. The only thing you can learn from this game is how corrupt game review publications have become.
  63. Jul 20, 2014
    low score is not the result of the battles , I think they are the best in terms of moral , how long a unit lasts is important for strategy and I think it was way to short in shogun 2 and the detail is beautiful. I think the thought gone into the fighting is really good. however . a game that is this buggy and lags this much in a siege makes the game unfinished. my score reflects this. morelow score is not the result of the battles , I think they are the best in terms of moral , how long a unit lasts is important for strategy and I think it was way to short in shogun 2 and the detail is beautiful. I think the thought gone into the fighting is really good. however . a game that is this buggy and lags this much in a siege makes the game unfinished. my score reflects this. more importantly however ! this game lacks all character. rome 1 has this simply by having different colours. seeing your towns buildings change in size (noticibly) in the (see town option with your civilans in it) and huge temples ,being able to choose your own king by the family tree. the game should be trying to preserve the children it captured bye making more character within the game like from Rome 1 by allowing and supporting our own story lines , being able to pretend that I was the son of a king who removed me from the throne and so i took my reputation and money and used it to buy and bribe an army of mercenaries , which I then invaded the gual making the empire twice as big. and then "pretending" I made my own civil was against my hated brother. this and the feel of power I had, but with out feeling like I was just easily rolling over everything , boring and unchallenging. rome 2 naval is by far the best I have seen , besides empire total war. I love ramming ships ! but after my 30 hours (enjoying about the first hour) and then it becoming a chore and thinking (if I wanted more fun and character, I would just go sleep and dream about it instead) I see ca thought we wanted better battles, I see there dedication to it. however , balancing issues and the complete lack of any reason to want you to care enough to keep playing to fight the battles. maybe im just getting old, maybe the younger audience , who I assume don't even play p.c any more , would like it better, maybe im loosing my imagination, or maybe ROME TOTAL WAR has failed to spark my imagination and from the negative reviews , ill assume its the later. Expand
  64. Jul 19, 2014
    Been with the TW series since Rome 1. I am a scholar interested in the time periods pre-ancient greek/roman as well as the ancient greek/roman period.

With those things in mind as well as my expectations set fairly high thanks to CA advertising and marketing... I can say that Rome 2 was absolutely disappointing. I have to agree with other users and long-time fans who know what they are talking about--CA released a beta, and made their base pay full price. It's shameful.
  65. Jul 19, 2014
    Coming from MTW, M2TW, ETW, S2TW giving this some 20 hours now I must say that I still can't get warm with it.
    The UI is just horrible, every time you have to click down 3 sub-menus until you are where you have to go. Which is quite the case with Agents because they need an Upgrade like every turn.
    Town management is just stiff and better don't get anything wrong because your people will freak out and **** up your game in only a few turns. This is especially fun once you have a few regions and your people freak out for no apparent reason and destroy your game.

Whatever they were trying to do with this, it doesn't work for me... at all. It's like it tries to be a different game borrowing concepts from CIV... just in the worst way possible
  66. Jul 16, 2014
    So this game is poorly optimized and runs difficult even on high end PCs.The AI i soo stupid that makes the player wanna leave the game.Oh there's a ton of glitches and the graphics feel empty even on high resolution.On the campain map the turns take forever to pass and the city management is the worst of the entire series..Want more? never play this game!
  67. Jul 13, 2014
    12 patches later and halfway into 2014 and the game still runs poorly, with the fps plummeting when units enter into melee (like the old Shogun 2 bug before patches ironed that out). I have an R9 270 and an i5 2500K so make of that what you will.
  68. Jul 3, 2014
    Another DRM infested piece of crap
    This game is broken from its core the narration is also lame in comparison to the first one
    The game is broken and boring
    Not to mention they are realising bullcrap DLC rather then proper expansion like Barbarian Invasion
    I recommend you stick with the first one.
  69. Jul 1, 2014
    After 13 patches and several mods tested, this game still sucks. It is flawed by design and working as intended!
    Dont you ever buy this if you want a strategy game. If you think of it as an app you might get if for some €€ at steam, install it, play it for some minutes, quit bored and annoyed and aswell deinstall that 20gb of massie failure.
    Unfortunately i paid the whole price and i
    Unfortunately i paid the whole price and i will never ever again play something from CA.
  70. Jun 21, 2014
    This is NOT a total war game. It has all the whiffs Diablo 3 had of possibly being ported to console one day (and how people denied that, lol) and still all the same problems with the total war series (bad AI, etc etc etc).

It has been said before and better so I'll just say this is such a shame after Shogan 2. Just such a damn shame and you'd think they'd know better.
  71. Jun 19, 2014
    I've sat and watched the slow, grinding destruction of what was a fine, interesting and absorbing game model into this, this tablet worthy mulch that is barely worthy of being allied to the Total War name. It's still got enough little bits that make you remember what CA used to produce, but the bulk of the game is simplified, dumbed down, rationalised. It's not a good strategy gameI've sat and watched the slow, grinding destruction of what was a fine, interesting and absorbing game model into this, this tablet worthy mulch that is barely worthy of being allied to the Total War name. It's still got enough little bits that make you remember what CA used to produce, but the bulk of the game is simplified, dumbed down, rationalised. It's not a good strategy game anymore. It's got big bits missing that have to be added with mods, which while always the case with CA games, thinking of Medieval 2 and the dire coding that contained, but the basis of the game was worthy, it inspired people to mod it because they wanted to get to the back of the game and have what they could see it would match up to.

This is a mirage of a game, it's literally made to be played on tablets, it's one step up from the pretty flash game.
  72. Jun 19, 2014
    HUGE disappoint when you play total war shogun and switch to this game like angel from heaven going to hell UI like crap. I played almost 20 hours just to find myself how bad this game
    such a let down people
  73. Jun 19, 2014
    I had such high expectations for this game... I've played almost the entire franchise and tried to keep an open mind, but after only 10 hrs. I'm done with this garbage even after patch 13 it's just a clumsy MOSH PIT SIMULATOR:

Positive things: - looks good (i have a nice pc and it makes my video cards burn! idk if It will look good on an average pc) Meh! things: (things that might

Positive things:

Meh! things: (things that might have potential)
    - you can control the turrets when defending a city
    - when and if you manage to see the individual movements of the soldiers, they look ok... focus on IF, its impossible to distinguish anything in the mosh pit.

- Negative things: EVERYTHING ELSE... it's impressive how awful, boring, frustrating this game can be (and let me remind you that I've played this garbage for only 10 hrs, after spending at least 1400 hrs on the whole franchise)

THE BATTLES:
    First: no matter what you do and how you play it will end up in an awful mosh pit.
    I guess they finally achieved all the "balance" they were looking for (idk who was the imbecile that said that all the units must be "balanced"... if you spend a ton of money and technology on elite units and cavalry, they should at least run over some peasants like grass right?) but nope! now you just attack with whatever you want: cavalry, spearmen, archers, peasants, the general, your dog, your underwear, whatever.... just throw it all into a the big mosh pit, it doesn't make any difference at all.. plus on top of it, you will win, its how easy this thing is! now you can understand the comments about the UI and the awful cards: the units are all the same: archers are useless they don't do any damage at all, cavalry is also useless, the only use for cavalry is when you try to reach another mosh pit a little faster. To enjoy this crap, simply forget everything you know about tactics, strategy, history, total war, and simply pretend you are playing a really crappy RTS game just without having to train each soldier individually.... did it mention that all the units are the same? no difference between a infantry, cavalry, archers, if you want your archers to get a kill, simply throw them in the mosh pit, otherwise they won't do a s**t.

Ohh another thing that find extremely stupid is that an enemy unit that is not in the range of view of your army, just disappears.. so you have to use an entire unit to explore the battlefield all the time (like you need an entire unit to SEE the enemy). If you wanted to put this crap in the game you should 've used the freaking retinue! remember? runner, shieldbearer, etc. Anyway... they put everything and i do mean EVERYTHING imaginable to make you hate this POS

THE CAMPAIGN MAP

I wont say much about this because I still don't understand it nor I will try to, just some highlights:
    - You start with cavemen technology (you can't build a RAM! unless you come up with that technology!!!! ohhh an I don't remember even being close to the be able to build a siege tower). I m glad they didn't make you start researching things as "fire" or "the wheel" or even "stone hatches" for that matter.

- The bonus you get from technology is useless and stupid (like - 0.000005% recruiting costs or + 0.00000000001% more damage for infantry units) u know to keep the units "balanced" because god saves us from the day when 2 cheap peasant units wont be able to take down a roman legion.

- Fleets are useless just get some peasants to build a high end war quality boat and sail wherever you want.

- the last thing i remember (because i do wanna forget this experience) is that i was boring as hell soooo much useless crap to see and soooo little interesting things to do.

I wanted to do this review with a cold head, not when I was angry, so i waited a few days before writing this ... but just thinking about what this game was supposed to be and we got, makes angry ooohhh and the little price tag: 60$ + all the dlc's now i see why they didn't include a demo.... to catch idiots like me and many others.

I always defend video games when some people say that is a waste of time and money... but in this case this game truly is a waste of everything.. hell I don't even criticize people that play angry birds or any other casual game.. but i wonder what is wrong with people that actually play this POS and LIKE IT???
  74. Jun 8, 2014
    It's just unplayable and boring. Almost every aspect of this game doesn't make the grade. I enjoy a challenge, but the conquest map is just too massive. And, it finally becomes so repetitive - conquer city, move units around, rest, conquer city, move units around, rest........... Such a disappointment after Shogun 2, which I still dust off and play sometimes.
  75. Jun 5, 2014
    After playing Rome TW for so much time i can only say this about the sequel: Boring, broken piece of crap.

AI is actually worse than the first Rome, congratulations CA.
  76. May 29, 2014
    It's the worst Total War game over the entire Total War series I've ever payed, and I have played them all since the original Shogun more than 10 years ago.

Being a hardcore Total War fan, it was the biggest disappointment in all my years of gaming.
  77. May 22, 2014
    This game came out almost 10 months ago with 12 patches and boat load of DLC that is mostly more crap on top of a broken game....And guess what this game still sucks and really there is no difference from release too 12 patches later....Rome 2 is is total Garbage if you love total war games you will hate this unless you are brain dead. And anyone who gives this game a 7-10 is either slowThis game came out almost 10 months ago with 12 patches and boat load of DLC that is mostly more crap on top of a broken game....And guess what this game still sucks and really there is no difference from release too 12 patches later....Rome 2 is is total Garbage if you love total war games you will hate this unless you are brain dead. And anyone who gives this game a 7-10 is either slow or still in denial that CA could make such a terrible money whoring game to an otherwise great series
    I give it a 0 because when a i buy a total war game i expect a good to great game not a big pile of dog crap that i paid 5o dollars for
  78. May 20, 2014
    The most disappointing game I ever played,sorry,i dont play it no more,The transport ships Spam to disguise the lack of CA competence to add proper naval invasion its the ultimate ultrage,
  79. May 14, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After 12 patces and 6 dlcs the game is still unplayable. The worst of the whole series. Biggest fraud in video game industry that I ever see. There is no way to preorder a game of CA ever before Expand
  80. May 13, 2014
    Total War: Nope

Seriously though, all CA has to do is look at the mods for rome 1 and medieval 2 to see how to make these games awsome. Anyone who has played total war realism or stainless steel knows what I'm talking about. This game is as far from those mods as it can get. Bring on the mods people!
  81. May 3, 2014
    Biggest pile of trash I've ever played in my entire life. **** mechanics, **** graphics, terrible AI, repetitive shallow campaign map gameplay, there are no positive things to say about this steaming pile of slag.
  82. May 1, 2014
    Can't give this more than 4/10. Played all total war games since Rome 1. It feels weird when a game 10 or so years older has better AI and unit colission than it's much newer counterpart. I bought it when it came out and was able to play a game as Rome. Stopped playing for a while and started it up again and just fount it as sad as it was before. Can't play it anymore, I guess i'll justCan't give this more than 4/10. Played all total war games since Rome 1. It feels weird when a game 10 or so years older has better AI and unit colission than it's much newer counterpart. I bought it when it came out and was able to play a game as Rome. Stopped playing for a while and started it up again and just fount it as sad as it was before. Can't play it anymore, I guess i'll just install shogun 2 and medieval 2. Expand
  83. Apr 28, 2014
    First of all I'm a fan of Total war series since the first Rome game. But this new game, although its pretty when it works most of the time its crashes because you need a high end gaming rig to play. Even then the game still is broken with lots of bugs. There are up to 12 big patches already released by CA to correct and fix their broken game but still have not iron it all out. I've paidFirst of all I'm a fan of Total war series since the first Rome game. But this new game, although its pretty when it works most of the time its crashes because you need a high end gaming rig to play. Even then the game still is broken with lots of bugs. There are up to 12 big patches already released by CA to correct and fix their broken game but still have not iron it all out. I've paid $74 when it came out and kinda regret it. I've lost 100 hrs or Rome Campaign too with one of those patches. Not being able to load it anymore. Plus all these DLC add-on that cost at least $3 should be free. I will not spend a single cent anymore on this game and any other CA release games. Expand
  84. Apr 26, 2014
    As a long-term player of Rome Total War I was looking forward to this game, but it has disappointed me in the way that most strategy game sequels do. I would have been happy if they'd kept everything the same as the original game, but streamlined some of the management and made the AI less stupid in strategy, combat and diplomacy (anybody new to the franchise would probably have enjoyedAs a long-term player of Rome Total War I was looking forward to this game, but it has disappointed me in the way that most strategy game sequels do. I would have been happy if they'd kept everything the same as the original game, but streamlined some of the management and made the AI less stupid in strategy, combat and diplomacy (anybody new to the franchise would probably have enjoyed that too). Unfortunately the new game is everything that most sequel strategy games are: more pretty and more complicated. Not complicated in a puzzling, challenging sort of way, complicated in a "lots more dull things to deal with" sort of way. Hundreds of regions acand custom unit types, after the first rush of interest, are just a bore. I guess the sort of programming that requires adding lots and lots of "stuff" is easier to do than the sort that makes the computer think and act like a clever and crafty human.
    If you're the sort of person who likes auditing accounting spreadsheets, you'd probably like this game. If you actually want to have some fun, avoid it.
  85. Apr 19, 2014
    This game was the most disappointing and boring game in a long line of Creative Assembly disappointments It was not worth the £30 tag and I was galled I couldn't get a refund only recommendation however shrill would be to look up the previous game and play that instead . The much toted graphics and AI were poor and broken even on my gaming laptop this game was grudgingly drawn out and slowThis game was the most disappointing and boring game in a long line of Creative Assembly disappointments It was not worth the £30 tag and I was galled I couldn't get a refund only recommendation however shrill would be to look up the previous game and play that instead . The much toted graphics and AI were poor and broken even on my gaming laptop this game was grudgingly drawn out and slow this has to be the worst game I've played on PC, not in terms of its not Rome 1 ergo its bad, It was bad because it was slow, boring and too long like all the bad parts of Empire total war without the fun of any previous TW games. Its a shame because I looked forward for years for this (I was a child playing Rome 1 and a fan) and once again creative assembly disappointing and doesn't deliver.This however, is the straw that has broken my resolve I am no longer a fan of CA and when they release another TW I cannot say I will trust them to make it good or at least playable. P.S. this game was dismal and poorly optimized at best and the most nice thing I can say is that I don't know how they managed to release this without also releasing an apology as well 2nd P.S. I still cant believe they withheld so much content for a game so bareboned and sold it for a tenner the day after I bought 3rd P.S. (AND A WARNING OF GRAPHIC LANGUAGE) **** you Creative Assembly you traitorous thieving **** how dare you sully your name and my trust in you I'm going somewhere else for my conquering fix next time( you had a golden chance to rekindle my love for the TW franchise with this you could have just released a HD remake and wallowed in old ground nostalgically but no) tip for CA sometimes nostalgia is neither good or bad as a well for ideas it is just the ideas which are good and bad like, oh i don't know criminally retarded AI or picking on new ideas the food and happiness balancing act which... sigh I cant actually think of a worse idea in the entire total war series which is incredible its like this game can only be compared with the worst Nicholas Cage movie. Definitely the worst game I have ever played on anything I.e. I'm actually trying to think of something worse and I cannot so well done CA in that field you've made my jaw drop like you did for Rome 1 but for the exact opposite reason. 4th P.S. hahah so many of these but seriously I am a fan of TW and CA I've liked Rome, Medieval 2 but I am not completely blind I.e. I thought Empire started **** but got good later and the sort same for Shogun and Napoleon however this game really scares me because I cant believe how bad it is I cannot phrase it in words or letters. I can only say what has gone wrong here? and hope someone at CA will take notice I know this is constructive criticism however I want it to be destructive instead I don't think there is a way so save this game I just want CA to not make anything with the ideas from this game for It is all bad and irredeemable and should instead be a model for how we can fail for CA. ( CA stands for Creative Assembly and TW stands for the Total War franchise) Expand
  86. Apr 8, 2014
    Utterly and entirely disappointing experience . A broken game months after release. The product released 10 years ago by the same developers was 10 times better. This is such an abysmal product its hard to put into words.
  87. Apr 6, 2014
    The game is completely broken.A lot of bugs.AI dead. Diplomacy is completely awful. Battle is worse than in Rome one. Music is 10 times worse than in Rome one.
  88. Mar 30, 2014
    only new players of Total War saga are going to like this game, this is the worst, too much advertising and not programming enough. i'm am italian and this game is not translated in italian, but CA wrote on the pack "All in Italian". bad for a Total War fan!
  89. Mar 26, 2014
    I bought this game at launch worked till decemeber, since then doesent work, keep getting the sam CTD. So I recommend wait 2-3 years for the modders to fix it, this is just a store platform for CA to sell buggy crap. I even made a complaint to my local consumer protectio agency as this people are scammers.
  90. Mar 26, 2014
    I am at a loss why Creative Assembly wanted to ruin their reputation with this pile of trash. It's also inexplicable how Total War: Rome II is made by the same studio that made Shogun II, an excellent successor to the original Shogun. The game betrays every single Total War fan. It is so casualized I felt like I was playing a tablet game. Some lamentable design decisions include no familyI am at a loss why Creative Assembly wanted to ruin their reputation with this pile of trash. It's also inexplicable how Total War: Rome II is made by the same studio that made Shogun II, an excellent successor to the original Shogun. The game betrays every single Total War fan. It is so casualized I felt like I was playing a tablet game. Some lamentable design decisions include no family tree, no attrition, no AI aggression, and my personal favorite: fire torches for gates. Then of course you get the expected technical issues of a CA game. But wait. This isn't your typical CA technical mess. It's much, much worse. On a nice computer you would be lucky to get more than 30 FPS on the campaign map. Do you like to wait 5 minutes at end turn? This game offers that. The biggest joke of this joke is unit AI, where units clump up together like a mosh pit and run randomly in all directions.

Heh, I actually told people how great this game was going to be. Good job using misleading footage, CA.

P.S. When your game is absolute trash, you might not want to anger your fans by releasing DLC.
  91. Mar 23, 2014
    Unfortunately, this game is dreadfully oversimplified. I suspect that the developer is attempting to replace its longtime fanbase with a new breed of teenage gamers. That is to say, this game will be extremely fun if you have never played a Total War game before, and overwhelmingly disappointing if you are familiar with these games.

Rome II, despite being visually impressive, takes a

Rome II, despite being visually impressive, takes a step down from its predecessors in terms of game mechanics. Everything that you loved about empire-building, city construction, dangerous wars, and important decisions are replaced with redundant, repetitive gameplay. The AI is a tremendous failure and poses no challenge, even on legendary difficulty. The only thing that higher difficulties do is increase the number of enemies (so that each miniature little tribe is unrealistically hosting two thousand armed men).

Strategy is non-existent, so look elsewhere. This game only has repetitive sieges that mean nothing. If you lose your army due to a bad mistake, you can simply recreate it in one turn. Therefor, the game does not punish the player for mistakes like it should.
  92. Mar 20, 2014
    I find myself conflicted on whether to review this as a Total War game or as an individual game. I'll start of with the TL;DR version:

As an individual game I'll be generous and give 2/10 As a Total War game? 0.5/10 And here's why (to call a handful out of a host of issues): Luckily I did not buy the game at launch and missed that epic disaster. All of my experience with this

As an individual game I'll be generous and give 2/10
    As a Total War game? 0.5/10

And here's why (to call a handful out of a host of issues):

Luckily I did not buy the game at launch and missed that epic disaster. All of my experience with this game is up to date with the most current patch.

Feature stripping: Gone is the innovative multiplayer of Shogun ii, the faction-intro videos (and most other polish of past games that lent to the overall experience), great elements of the campaign game (eg. no family tree and the turns are so long (1 year) they'll die before you can really put much work into them), and a host of other features throughout the game.

Disappointing battles: The battles, the heart of total war games, just feel off and generally disappointing. Numerous mechanics are plainly broken (naval battles are utterly broken, cavalry/chariots routinely routs formed spearmen, unit grouping messes up all the time, especially when transitioning positions, etc.) and the battles are often flat-out boring (even in MP).

Dreadful Campaign - It's far too easy, ridiculously dumbed-down/simplified/feature-stripped, and just in general boring. It's nowhere near as engaging as past titles in the TW series and is just not very enjoyable overall.

DLC whoring/practices: oh boy, where to start. From charging $8 for the greek states DLC (pay-to-unlock/on-disc "DLC") which they knew people would really want (as Spartans were really popular in Rome Total War) to the debacle in which units claimed to be added-on in the Beasts of War DLC were found in pre-release advertising footage, which brings us to the next complaint...

False Advertising: From the "screenshots" and other pre-release footage which hardly resemble the final product even on the mightiest of rigs to promises of the best AI to date (...ya...) and the aforementioned lies about DLC, the level of dishonesty displayed so far has been extremely disappointing.

I won't even bother complaining about the host of glitches, those god-awful capture flags, the psychotic diplomacy, the atrocious optimization, and other issues that have already been complained about to death.

Why such a low score (1.5/10) as a TW game? Because not only does it contribute nothing to the series and fall well short of quality standards set by past titles, it strips some of the great features of said past titles.

Why not a 1/10?

Redeeming qualities: At least they tried to add a new feature in combined land/sea battles (even though its still quite broken and the mentally challenged AI can't handle it and often end up staring at a wall for an hour - oh and ya, the AI still will stand dumbly staring at you for an hour sometimes, a brilliant strategy in ensuring their victory by making you ragequit). And... the ... um... the graphics are better I guess... Oh and at least they did fix *most* of the game breaking bugs of launch (though that never should have happened...)
  93. Mar 15, 2014
    this game disgraces its predecessors in almost every way possible. I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone. If you want a good total war game try Rome 1 or shogun 2 but don't buy this game its a disgrace and a waste of time and money.
  94. Mar 14, 2014
    Features in Rome II:
    - horrible performance optimization and blurry graphics
    - every infantry unit can use torches to destroy walls, crippling attrition when besieging, no battering rams or siege towers until researched, no tunneling under walls (sapping). - very few build options and always limited by research, town management reduced to nothing, no option to build walls or roads, no
    Features in Rome II:
    - horrible performance optimization and blurry graphics
    - very few build options and always limited by research, town management reduced to nothing, no option to build walls or roads, no built buildings visible in battle,
    - no easily accessible build trees or unit trees or ability trees, useless, slow and inaccessible encyclopedia that doesn't support mods
    - no fire at will for all units with missiles, cannot use pilums or javelins defensively
    - no guard mode and loose formation for units, units cannot hold formation
    - one year turn and no seasons, causing generals and agents to die of old age
    - no family tree and an unfinished and useless system for internal politics and completely random civil wars that are not fought against other families but generic "senate loyalists"
    - no restrictions on high tier units, meaning low tier units become useless in lategame
    - slave system that's barely manageable with very few options
    - useless diplomatic AI, useless battle AI, useless siege AI, the AI battle AI has never been strong in Total War but at least it wasn't completely useless and broken, you'd think after 10 years they would be improving the AI, not make it worse, at least the multiplayer campaign is playable
    - limits on how many armies you can use on the campaign map, require a general to move a small force
    - unhistorical naval battles that always ends with ramming and boarding and no option to board a ship with more than one of your own ships
    - no historical events or historically timed natural disasters
    - no ability to manually reinforce or merge damaged units and no unit experience loss when reinforcing with fresh recruits
    - no engaging or immersing music, just generic music that give no feel to the game whatsoever, should have hired Jeff van Dyck to rehash the Rome 1 music
    - parts of the game cut out and added pay to play DLC on day 1 even though the game was 80 dollars at start for an incomplete mess of a game
    - automatic transports meaning that regular navies are less useful
    - pikemen have no visible pikes until they use them, so you can never know what to expect until they pull out a 5 meter spear right in front of your troops
    - abilities give magical stat boosts instead of actual formations and attacks
    - no beta testing and after several months of patches little has been remedy all the problems or add any of the missing features, instead only DLC mongering, demanding money for DLC even when the game is unfinished and doesn't have half as many features as Rome 1 is appalling, to call it a sequel is a joke

Making the game accessible and removing nearly all of the total war features are two completely different things. Performance and AI worse than any other Total War game. 10 years after Rome 1 and the first game is still far superior. A sequel should be adding and improving features, not removing and reducing them.
  95. Mar 12, 2014
    garbage game is still garbage. 10 patches later and it's still god awful. Nothing has been fixed. Not one. avoid this title. this is a waste of hard drive space (not to mention 60 bucks) and you are FAR better off playing Rome 1 or Medieval 2 for your TW fix. CA is clearly not the same company it once was and now seems rife with incompetence and under a publisher that does not give agarbage game is still garbage. 10 patches later and it's still god awful. Nothing has been fixed. Not one. avoid this title. this is a waste of hard drive space (not to mention 60 bucks) and you are FAR better off playing Rome 1 or Medieval 2 for your TW fix. CA is clearly not the same company it once was and now seems rife with incompetence and under a publisher that does not give a single **** about the customer.

I would not buy this game at even half its current cost. At most, Rome 2 is worth about 15-20 dollars if you're feeling particularly generous.
  96. Mar 11, 2014
    This game is just an embarrassment, nothing works in this game. The alpha stage of the game looked much better than the actual game and how that happened is beyond me. Poor perfomance, crap settings and horrible AI compared to the first rome game.

Do not buy this!
  97. Mar 5, 2014
    Absolute Garbage. Purchased on Steam, can't play as it keeps randomly crashing. I wish I'd read all the reviews about bugs before buying. Can't get any sense from the support, the support forums are useless, and can't speak to anyone about a refund. CA have literally stolen my £30. I used to love Total War. I will never again give CA or the total war series my money. Unbelievable.
  98. Mar 4, 2014
    There is no way I am pre-ordering any Creative Assembly game again, and apparently I can't rely on reviewing organizations to weed out the bad seeds for me. This game has been a failure in almost every way; it looks terrible, the music is boring, the battles are boring, the campaign is boring and stripped down, and ultimately it is a game full of undelivered promises. It's developers alsoThere is no way I am pre-ordering any Creative Assembly game again, and apparently I can't rely on reviewing organizations to weed out the bad seeds for me. This game has been a failure in almost every way; it looks terrible, the music is boring, the battles are boring, the campaign is boring and stripped down, and ultimately it is a game full of undelivered promises. It's developers also seem more interested in trying to milk DLC rather than address the very real issues plaguing the game. Expand
  99. Mar 4, 2014
    Esta nota se la doy tirando por lo alto, por que me da vergüenza que un juego que lo ponen por las nubes y lo lanzan en pre venta por 55 euros y los cuatro primeros meses el juego practicamente sea injugable no lo veo normal, cuando ademas utiliza la base de todos los Total War ¿alguien me puede decir que han hecho durante todo este tiempo? ¿en que han gastado el dinero? simplementeEsta nota se la doy tirando por lo alto, por que me da vergüenza que un juego que lo ponen por las nubes y lo lanzan en pre venta por 55 euros y los cuatro primeros meses el juego practicamente sea injugable no lo veo normal, cuando ademas utiliza la base de todos los Total War ¿alguien me puede decir que han hecho durante todo este tiempo? ¿en que han gastado el dinero? simplemente decepcionante y probablemente para mi el fin de la saga. Expand
  100. Mar 2, 2014
    Ever been in a chocolate shop and seen a delightful confection that looks like it will melt in your mouth in a gush of warm chocolaty goodness and sweet cacao bliss? You buy it and bite down and for a moment it is everything you might hope until you get to the flawed burnt out husk of bile and hatred that lies at the center.

This is that game. It's as if someone took a QA list of their

This is that game. It's as if someone took a QA list of their bugs, packaged them up as a game, and shipped it out with pretty box art. It bluescreens, it hands, it has an almighty memory leak that could suck down the 7th fleet, units behave unpredictably, rather than embark your armies will take a world tour, and that's just the short list.

We want Creative to make good games, but they don't. They make early access games that might be patched into something playable. The concept is great, but it's the same concept from ten years ago and their quality and testing only get worse with each new release.

tl;dr: Give it a pass.

1. Nov 18, 2013
    The game is far less polished than Shogun 2, and a few more patches will help, but Rome II is still a flawed game that is underwhelming when compared to previous titles in the franchise.
  2. Nov 6, 2013
    And here’s the rub: every addition, every sub-system, every mechanic is subservient to War. War is what Total War is really about. Everything else not directly related to conflict comes across as ancillary. Rome II is a game for warmongers, on both the campaign map and, obviously, on the battlefield. When peace is happening, nothing is happening. When war is happening, Rome comes alive.
  3. PC PowerPlay
    Oct 28, 2013
    If you will play literally anything featuring Total War and Rome in the same title and don't value your time, this is for you. [Nov 2013, p.80]