Total War: Rome II PC

• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Sep 3, 2013
4.2

1. Sep 7, 2013
    I expected a lot from the famous "Total War: Rome" title, but unfortunately my expectations were not met (by a good roman mile...)! The AI is average at best. This has a negative effect on everything. They way they move, fight, form alliances, negotiate with your fraction (For example if you have a lot of money, they will demand some from you for everything. Do you want to trade? PAY! DoI expected a lot from the famous "Total War: Rome" title, but unfortunately my expectations were not met (by a good roman mile...)! The AI is average at best. This has a negative effect on everything. They way they move, fight, form alliances, negotiate with your fraction (For example if you have a lot of money, they will demand some from you for everything. Do you want to trade? PAY! Do you want an alliance? SHARE YOUR MONEY!). The strategy part of the game is rather simple too. There are a few types of building, and research. The most "difficult" things is to keep in mind the balance of 'public order', 'food' etc. Other than that you need to build armies and conquer land. "Paradox Game" titles, which are made by 1/100 of the budget used on "Rome 2" can do much better strategy game. I was expecting more. Not recommended! Expand
  2. Sep 13, 2013
    This review score isn't based on the bugs (of which there are a lot, but they'll be patched out of existence soon enough). It's not based on day one issues of crashing, not being able to play etc. It's not even based on the ridiculous balancing issues (this is a world where an elephant could destroy the entire Roman legion on its own if it were so inclined) or the terrible AI andThis review score isn't based on the bugs (of which there are a lot, but they'll be patched out of existence soon enough). It's not based on day one issues of crashing, not being able to play etc. It's not even based on the ridiculous balancing issues (this is a world where an elephant could destroy the entire Roman legion on its own if it were so inclined) or the terrible AI and ridiculous overall simplicity of the game (currently, you have to actually try to lose a game, it's the easiest strategy game I've ever played in my life!). I recognise all of those things as issues, but they're not deal breakers for me. They can and will be fixed.

No, the score is so low because of one completely unforgivable and unfixable problem in particular; the capture the flag mechanic is mind-numbingly stupid and a central facet of this game.

It's beyond bad. OK, so armies charging through impossible odds to take the shortest route to the flag etc. "may" be fixed, but the mechanic will remain and thus the game will forever suck. It had no place in this game and it's difficult to comprehend exactly why the devs thought this was a good idea. It would have taken one proper strategy game enthusiast an hours testing at best before telling them it sucked, so the question has to be asked: did they test this game on any scale at all before releasing?!

And it's such a shame, because there's a classic game waiting to burst out from under the surface here, but there's just too many stupid and/or lazy decisions by the devs which weigh it down to the point where there's little to no hope for it.
  3. Oct 21, 2013
    Day 1 DLC, Broken game play, Broken AI, constant glitches, UI, missing guard button. These are the top problems of Rome 2. This is game is the worst total war so far.
  4. Sep 10, 2013
    I know its not a real review. But just warning to people wanting to buy this game, Im pretty sure 90% of the critics on the left side there have been paid off. 100/100, really?
  5. Sep 3, 2013
    In short, AVOID at all cost.

Extremely poor optimization, even you have i7 and GTX Titan, you may still have only around 20 fps.

Still the same graphic quality as Medieval (wow, it is now 2013), the same buggy AI, and the non user friendly UI and manual control.

Just play a high quality mod in Total War: Rome I, you may even have more fun than that.
  6. Sep 13, 2013
    Rome II is proof that the current system of "professional" reviewers is utterly broken or corrupt. As commercial magazines and websites (who rely on advertising money from game makers) pass out 8's and 9's to this newest entry of the Total War Series, long-time players and fans weep tears of sadness. Gone is the tactical depth the series was famous for. Gone is the strategic depth thatRome II is proof that the current system of "professional" reviewers is utterly broken or corrupt. As commercial magazines and websites (who rely on advertising money from game makers) pass out 8's and 9's to this newest entry of the Total War Series, long-time players and fans weep tears of sadness. Gone is the tactical depth the series was famous for. Gone is the strategic depth that the series was famous for. This game is a step backward in almost every way, and fans know it. Dumbed down, and made into an arcade-like casual game, Rome II may sadly mark the end of the Total War Series. If consumers keep buying dumbed down versions of previously awesome games, and reviewers keep showering them with fake praise, then the industry as a whole is spiraling down the toilet. If you haven't played a Total War Game, and want to know why they are beloved by fans around the world, try Rome I, Medieval 2, or Shogun 2. Farewell Total War Series. I will miss you. Expand
  7. Oct 26, 2013
    It's not very often a series declines game after game but the Total War titles seem to be on a downward spiral to nothingness and Rome 2 highlights the sheer drop in quality from the excellence of the original.

The ambition of the game seems to be overriding the quality of the finished product. It's a half baked game that is woefully presented, cumbersome AI and a very bland interface with management options lacking and a dreadfully simplistic challenge which you'll find exceedingly tedious over a session. The shockingly poor technical side adds to disappointment with considerable framerate problems and sloppy realtime battles. As you progress. the end of turn system becomes intolerable with turns taking in excess of minutes as the AI plays catch-up. This boils down to the seemingly dated engine and leaves you waiting without control for an unacceptable amount of time. This kills the flow and adds to the overall dismay.

CA either need to go back to the games' roots or sell the licence because this series is dwindling to oblivion. If you want a fine strategy game of the Roman era; you'd be better off re-installing the original. It may be over 10 years older but it's streets ahead of today's messy attempt at rejuvenating the Total War collapse.
  8. Jul 19, 2014
    Coming from MTW, M2TW, ETW, S2TW giving this some 20 hours now I must say that I still can't get warm with it.
    The UI is just horrible, every time you have to click down 3 sub-menus until you are where you have to go. Which is quite the case with Agents because they need an Upgrade like every turn.
    Town management is just stiff and better don't get anything wrong because your people will freak out and **** up your game in only a few turns. This is especially fun once you have a few regions and your people freak out for no apparent reason and destroy your game.

Whatever they were trying to do with this, it doesn't work for me... at all. It's like it tries to be a different game borrowing concepts from CIV... just in the worst way possible
  9. Mar 14, 2017
    Creo que el principal problema de este juego es querer equilibrar tanto las civilizaciones, que deja a un lado el rigor histórico he iguala a todas las demás con Roma y Cartago, las dos grandes de su tiempo.

Si lo que buscas son grandes batallas, y enfrentamientos multijugador, quizás no sea un mal juego, porque es en lo único que destaca, en eso y en los gráficos, que sin duda no se queda corto para nada.

Ahora bien, sin duda, para alguien que busque algo más, se queda bastante corto. Intentare exponerlo en diferentes puntos:

1- Tiene muchas facciones a escoger. Y esto tendría sentido, si todas no se jugaran prácticamente igual, tanto en batallas campales, como en asedios y navales.

2- Este punto va junto al primero, y es que al intentar igualarlo tanto, se han pasado la historia por los co^^nes, ya que las tribus no contaban con la disciplina y tecnología Romana, solo eran hordas de feroces guerreros que se arrojaban a su enemigo, pero en este juego en cambio...

3- Roma y Cartago no se diferencian prácticamente de las demás civilizaciones, siendo incluso, que en gran parte de las campañas desaparecerán tan rápido, que seguramente no nos de tiempo ni a encontrarlas en el mapa.

4- El mapa es demasiado grande. No suelo decir esto, ya que normalmente cuanto más grande mejor, pero en este caso no es así, ya que con prácticamente 1/3 del mapa conquistado, tienes asegurado que nadie te hará frente haya por donde vayas.

5- No me molestaría un mapa grande, si los objetivos no fueran conquistar prácticamente una ciudad en cada punta de esté. Con esto quiero decir, que las condiciones de victorias son absurdas. ¿Por que querría un Galo conquistar Grecia o el norte de África?.

6- Lo del multijugador lo digo más que nada porque la IA parece MR Bean intentando hacer algo bien. Apelotona unidades, enfrenta caballería contra lanceros, expone al general sin ningún tipo de sentido...

Estos son algunos de los puntos que considero que flaquean en esta entrega, falta puntos, por supuesto, como por ejemplo decir que el juego aun vale 55 euros en Steam, y que cuenta con un abanico de dlcs que SUPERAN los 80 euros en su conjunto.
  10. Jun 21, 2014
    This is NOT a total war game. It has all the whiffs Diablo 3 had of possibly being ported to console one day (and how people denied that, lol) and still all the same problems with the total war series (bad AI, etc etc etc).

It has been said before and better so I'll just say this is such a shame after Shogan 2. Just such a damn shame and you'd think they'd know better.
  11. Feb 17, 2014
    Well I, like many, formerly gave this one a good review at first. But after 90+ hours of gameplay, I cannot stand this game anymore. Initially, even before patches, I enjoyed the game. Any quarrels I had could be easily remedied with the Radious mod. But after putting one and half campaigns' worth of time into it, its lack of depth has truly killed it for me. I'm not going to rip on unitWell I, like many, formerly gave this one a good review at first. But after 90+ hours of gameplay, I cannot stand this game anymore. Initially, even before patches, I enjoyed the game. Any quarrels I had could be easily remedied with the Radious mod. But after putting one and half campaigns' worth of time into it, its lack of depth has truly killed it for me. I'm not going to rip on unit cards or the UI. I actually think those are fine. What I will say is that this Total War requires far less brain function than previous installments, as if it was streamlined and dumbed down to appeal to a wider audience. Gone is the family tree, which sadly rid the game of both its personal touch and its risk. My general fell in battle? That's okay, there are three more just as good waiting to be instated. It's not like we have to worry about faction leaders or heirs anyways. Control over resources is now an afterthought. There are no trade posts to acquire monopolies as in Empire and they don't aid in construction as in Shogun 2. They're just trade goods, on the off chance that the AI will actually accept trade with you. There was a great chance for trade posts in the form of the Silk Road, but I guess CA had other interests in mind. Instant transports mean that you no longer have to wait years, amassing forces and planning an over seas invasion. You just swim over now, which really takes away one of Total War's rewarding and accomplishing feelings (or brutal and dismal defeat). This also makes no sense, but I suppose we had to suspend disbelief when we accepted "Imperium" as a model for how many troops we could raise, instead of just simply being able to afford them population and money-wise like in previous installments. Not only is "Imperium" probably the dumbest thing that has happened in the series' history, but it also makes the game the most annoying thing to manage in the late game. This isn't strategic depth, this is CA saying "we're gonna dumb down the game and then give you the finger while we're at it." Because of this I can no longer maintain public order as I please and can hardly protect my border settlements. In addition, "Imperium" has allowed the AI, down to its last city, to simply spam stacks around a poor village, preventing my one or two stacks, that should have been sufficient, from actually wiping them off the map.

3/10 for better graphics and not completely tearing down the franchise's gameplay.
  12. Sep 5, 2013
    This 0/10 is for the price of Rome II and for exploiting the DLC-concept far beyond the point of shame. At this point it doesn't even matter what the game has to offer.
  13. Oct 4, 2013
    Hey look another CA Total War game, with all the same caveats poor computational optimization, lack of unit diversity, only masochists play naval combat manually, AI turn times which progress about as fast as a legless donkey, useless combat AI which stands around while you slaughter them (it's been such a long-running problem, I'm starting to think CA believes AI you massacreHey look another CA Total War game, with all the same caveats poor computational optimization, lack of unit diversity, only masochists play naval combat manually, AI turn times which progress about as fast as a legless donkey, useless combat AI which stands around while you slaughter them (it's been such a long-running problem, I'm starting to think CA believes AI you massacre effortlessly is a selling-point because the player's supposed to feel like a bad*ss, instead of cheated), a boring and unengaging "metagame" (campaign map play), and sadistic camera settings which don't let you really grasp everything going on without breaking flow to move the camera and see all the different engagements while the game's paused (seriously there's no excuse for this. If I wanted "realism," or whatever it is they're going for, I'd just keep the camera zoomed in). Modders rush in to fix the many deficiencies of the game, and do a fair job with it but I'm not going to take mods into account when vanilla gameplay is so awful, I uninstalled the game after less than 5 hours of play. In defense of CA itself, however check out Extra Credits Extra History, which CA's marketing division funded. I imagine it's the most fantastic history lesson on the Punic Wars ever given. Expand
  14. Sep 24, 2013
    Well, what can i say what others haven't.
    I had high hopes for this game, expected it to be the pinnacle of the franchise and then it all fell down.
    Maybe after 2 expansion pack this game will be in line with Shougun 2.
  15. Nov 28, 2013
    If you liked the previous total war games, then welcome to the children friendly version.

My suggestion is to get the first Rome Total War and download one of the best mods for it, it will provide you with plenty more fun. I was hoping for a new Rome Total War since 2004, almost 10 years later never have I been so disappointed at a game. What were they thinking? The bugs, the AI,

What were they thinking? The bugs, the AI, omg the AI... is just so so bad, did they evolve it since 2004? I doubt it. The gameplay in general, the absolutely ridiculous battle changing general super abilities, seriously?

The only reason someone might enjoy this game is if they never played any other total war game.
  16. Oct 8, 2013
    What is this? The Trailer was terrible. I decided to give it the benefit of the doubt and wasted my money to witness it being more terrible. How did it get a high critic rating? Rubbish storyline. Been-there-done-that gameplay....it's sad to play on so many levels
  17. Mar 13, 2016
    I should've been getting the hint when people told me that I need mods to enjoy this game...
    Even total war games can fail at the times, and this one is it.
    Something is just off with this one and just trying to ignore it and keep playing is not worth it when there's good total wars available.
    Empire, Rome, Shogun.. take your pick and I can tell you get a better experience than with this one.
  18. Sep 10, 2013
    Total War Shogun 2 was such a massive improvement... and now this? This is a disgrace to the Total War series... it's got strip away features, it's buggy to hell and back, AI are the most retarded they have ever been before, the map AI will almost never attack you.. and even when they do they only throw tiny groups of enemies at you. Never a big group. Enemies in game will stand there andTotal War Shogun 2 was such a massive improvement... and now this? This is a disgrace to the Total War series... it's got strip away features, it's buggy to hell and back, AI are the most retarded they have ever been before, the map AI will almost never attack you.. and even when they do they only throw tiny groups of enemies at you. Never a big group. Enemies in game will stand there and stare at you... without making any movements. Those god damn flags.. the god damn flags in a open field.. Oh man The UI in game is a terrible (except for the map screen). The graphics are glitchy and very average.
    Looks like a 2005 game. The videos showing how good the game look? Fake. Nobody has been able to get the game to look as good as some of the trailer showcased video footage of this game. Somebody up big time. This looks like a Alpha! They are selling a bloody alpha version for lots of money? Who the hell was in charge of this? It's a travesty. Long time fans are royally pissed off with good reason.

+Cinematic cam
    +tooltips help you focus on the gameplay rather than being lost clicking stuff.
    +World Map
    +Province have capitals
    -Apart from tooltips, the UI is very limited.
    -AI are totally broken.
    -No challenge.
    -Graphics are bland.
    **** multiplayer, it's barebones 2 player gameplay. Nothing else.
    -Family trees have been stripped away, diplomacy, religion/politics & skill trees are worse than before.
    -Naval battles are plain screwed. The game automatically spawns ships when you send units to the sea, which are more powerful than actual naval ships. No fire at will or guard mode, no formations.
    -Your units refuse to go down walls
    -Most cinematics are gone.
    -No context sensitive battle speeches.
  19. Oct 27, 2013
    Rome 2 was supposed to be the best TW game as of yet... this is sadly far from the truth, the game is broken in every way possible, even worse than Empire Total war. I can't stress this enough; DON'T SPEND YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY ON THIS PIECE OF SH*T!
  20. Nov 16, 2014
    i didnt think creative assembly could messed it up cuz they are good develpers and has good record
    but it was slap to fans face. everything in this game is steps back from rome 1
    not to mention huge framemate problems, every moments u have to fight glitches, non responsiveness and bugs instead of units. even high end computers cant run this game on high setting without lag or
    but it was slap to fans face. everything in this game is steps back from rome 1
    even high end computers cant run this game on high setting without lag or stuttering. thinking the game looks not better than rome1 i wonder dev leave programming of the game to their interns
    biggest let down. luckily i didnt upgrade my com to play this which saved me $$$ and bitter disappointment
  21. Dec 8, 2014
    Boy am I glad I didn't pay for this game. Despicable launch issues and disgusting day 1 DLC's aside, Rome 2 is a cancerous mess that took the overall excellent concept from Shogun 2 and fundamentally ruined it entirely. The AI is a bunch of dumb bricks, Tech trees are linear as all hell, generals and agents die every other week from "natural causes" leaving any real character developmentBoy am I glad I didn't pay for this game. Despicable launch issues and disgusting day 1 DLC's aside, Rome 2 is a cancerous mess that took the overall excellent concept from Shogun 2 and fundamentally ruined it entirely. The AI is a bunch of dumb bricks, Tech trees are linear as all hell, generals and agents die every other week from "natural causes" leaving any real character development to be absolutely pointless as the developers had to make the disgusting new "Family" features be used somehow, city expansion through warring is absolutely retarded as the game DEMANDS you need to rush-build culture and religious buildings to avoid, and I'm not kidding now, a whopping -75 to a -100 out of a possible +100 "Unhappiness" in cities you occupy as peacefully as possible. ON THE NORMAL DIFFICULTY LEVEL.

To put it into a comparison, stacking a maximum sized grand army with the most hardiest of units lead by a fearsome general into a city's garrison will net you about 15-20 happiness. Build 2-3 very expensive buildings that help the population's happiness and you might bump that up into maybe the 30 mark.. Exempt the city from paying taxes and you got another 20. This still leaves you with a -50 city unhappiness and rebels WILL flood your gates. IT. IS. INSANE. I played as the Germanic barbarians, conquered 3 cities, rushed every singe stability & happiness building I had on all of them while specializing in construction (to make these happiness & stability buildings better), declared peace, lowered taxes to the minimum for about 30-45 years (turns) and I STILL HAD MASSIVE REBEL & SLAVE UPRISINGS EVERY YEAR.

The new UI is a crystal clear example on why you shouldn't try to fix what ain't broken. The battle unit controls have been hamstered by making one M1 click be the command for units to get in a line (removing your ability to De-select all units as was commonly wanted in Shogun 2 while having Mouse button 2 + drag be that EXACT EXISTING COMMAND FROM THE PREVIOUS GAMES), they removed the convenient control ball you had on the bottom left where you could tell selected units to turn in unison, back away or more forward mere inches. While a bit confusing to beginners, it was FUNCTIONAL. What did they get to replace it? Calling this a replacement would be an overstatement since you can no longer do any real precise movements but what we got instead is an ball-busting charade of moronic and messy "Formations" that pretty much only adhere to all your units on the board at once. Flanking? Ambushes? Tactics? What's that?

And don't even get me started on the camera. You have either the choice of watching from space with a telescope, being unable to see anything clearly or zoom in and have your nipples be plowing the ground and your nose stuck in a random soldier's armpit. While the camera in Shogun 2 was nowhere near perfect, this one makes a bad situation even worse as If you are all the way down on the ground, It will "Lock" itself onto there and require you to tell it to go up TWICE. Fail to do that over and over again flawlessly in the midst of battle and the camera will instead just change the angle of staring into a random armpit to a nearby sweaty blood-stained crotch of your fellow soldier because the developers thought It would be a good idea to leave the camera design to some random guy off the street with Alzheimer's sniffing paint.

Moving past that, the AI diplomacy reminds me of whining children, constantly pestering you about wanting free money, military access, alliances and trade agreements every other 5 years. While not bad in itself as you can conquer them to make them shut up, IT CANNOT BE TURNED OFF OR AVOIDED IN ANY WAY DURING THE LOADING SCREENS. And If you conquer the annoying spammers, you'll get new borders with other spammers! An endless cycle of annoyance created as a place-holder for actual AI relationships due to lazy design.

I could keep on pouring sewer on this game but I don't want to spill any on my shoes so I'll simply suggest everyone to avoid it.. Unless you enjoy swimming in feces.
  22. Mar 26, 2014
    I am at a loss why Creative Assembly wanted to ruin their reputation with this pile of trash. It's also inexplicable how Total War: Rome II is made by the same studio that made Shogun II, an excellent successor to the original Shogun. The game betrays every single Total War fan. It is so casualized I felt like I was playing a tablet game. Some lamentable design decisions include no familyI am at a loss why Creative Assembly wanted to ruin their reputation with this pile of trash. It's also inexplicable how Total War: Rome II is made by the same studio that made Shogun II, an excellent successor to the original Shogun. The game betrays every single Total War fan. It is so casualized I felt like I was playing a tablet game. Some lamentable design decisions include no family tree, no attrition, no AI aggression, and my personal favorite: fire torches for gates. Then of course you get the expected technical issues of a CA game. But wait. This isn't your typical CA technical mess. It's much, much worse. On a nice computer you would be lucky to get more than 30 FPS on the campaign map. Do you like to wait 5 minutes at end turn? This game offers that. The biggest joke of this joke is unit AI, where units clump up together like a mosh pit and run randomly in all directions.

Heh, I actually told people how great this game was going to be. Good job using misleading footage, CA.

P.S. When your game is absolute trash, you might not want to anger your fans by releasing DLC.
  23. Dec 24, 2013
    This is about the most frustrating, slow, bugged, random, stupid, idiotic, pathetic, moronic piece of garbage game I have even seen in my life. I've had more fun doing _nothing_, just after I threw this disk out of the window and wiped the hard drive of every single bit of this time wasting joke.
  24. Sep 10, 2013
    What should have been a massive improvement has turned into a massive disaster All the improvements that were promised and boasted about simply don't exist, in fact they have been streamlined to the point its unplayable. There are some great ideas and nice features but these are overshadowed massively by everything that is wrong. The epic battles of old are gone. Small skirishes that lastWhat should have been a massive improvement has turned into a massive disaster All the improvements that were promised and boasted about simply don't exist, in fact they have been streamlined to the point its unplayable. There are some great ideas and nice features but these are overshadowed massively by everything that is wrong. The epic battles of old are gone. Small skirishes that last 3 minutes are now the norm. Graphic issues and screen tears are constant. The game speed and sense of urgency in conflicts has been increased way to fast, the devs seemed to have got lost their direction. In its current state. Not only is the game current price not worth it in its current state, the devs have the nerve to offer day one DLC to content that should clearly have been included. Cashing in yet again. In addition this game has a bigger budget then any other Rome game and I have no idea where its gone. I swear they accidentally released the Pre-Alpha build, its scary how wrong things have gone. The sad truth is that even with numerous patches, the new direction with combat and its style will mean this series will no longer what it will be. The fact the many numerous patches will be needed to make this playable is quite frankly pathetic. Shameful display! Expand
  25. Sep 4, 2013
    As a player of the TW series since Shogun1, here is my opinion.

The good: - beautiful campaign map - nice soundtrack - lots of factions (though only a few playable) - smarter AI (still not smart enough) The bad: - no balance at all - battles are over in 3-5 minutes - no bit of realism whatsoever - very poor optimization - Multiplayer minimalized compared to Shogun2 -
    As a player of the TW series since Shogun1, here is my opinion.

The good:
    - beautiful campaign map
    - nice soundtrack
    - lots of factions (though only a few playable)
    - smarter AI (still not smart enough)

The bad:
    - no balance at all
    - battles are over in 3-5 minutes
    - no bit of realism whatsoever
    - very poor optimization
    - Multiplayer minimalized compared to Shogun2
    - Interface
    - Drop hacking in MP still an issue
    - bugs/glitches
    - very hard to mod
    - turn timers

Overall the worst TW release so far, this tops even the Empire TW disaster.
  26. Sep 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Paid reviews the game. Expand
  27. Dec 8, 2013
    It's an incomplete game, buggy, with design flaws, and worst, a broken hard-coded core. This is something that not even modders will be able to change or improve, because it's the mechanics of Total War in the end.
    They should decide if they want to make a tactical real time battles game or if they want to make a strategical turn based map-based war game. As it is now, they try both and fail utterly.
    If you paid for this game I feel sorry for you, I sure grew out to Paradox games many years ago so I wasn't expecting any different from CA. Whoever played Medieval know what pain is.
    One wonders the appraisal this game has from "professional" reviewers. Were they paid?
  28. Nov 4, 2013
    I want to know what game the critics were playing, because it certainly wan't this one. This game is rampant with bugs. It is flat-out broken. The A.I. is horrendous. I don't even know why the game was released. It needed at least six more month's. Absolutely no polish, because the game wasn't even finished to begin with! Why i everything red as well? It looks like you're playing on Mars.I want to know what game the critics were playing, because it certainly wan't this one. This game is rampant with bugs. It is flat-out broken. The A.I. is horrendous. I don't even know why the game was released. It needed at least six more month's. Absolutely no polish, because the game wasn't even finished to begin with! Why i everything red as well? It looks like you're playing on Mars. An utter disappointment, especially after the beauty that was Total War: Shogun 2 Expand
  29. Sep 3, 2013
    to counter the silly 10's being thrown around out the wrongfully I had to give this game a 1. It's not worthy of a 10 and everyone knows itl It's not worthy of a 1 but we have to even things out. Right now it has some intuitive issues and crash issues and diplomacy issues and I saw them. Figuring out how to build took about 3 turns and having to have a plat form before one builds is justto counter the silly 10's being thrown around out the wrongfully I had to give this game a 1. It's not worthy of a 10 and everyone knows itl It's not worthy of a 1 but we have to even things out. Right now it has some intuitive issues and crash issues and diplomacy issues and I saw them. Figuring out how to build took about 3 turns and having to have a plat form before one builds is just more micromangement the game doesn't need. Diplomacy is silly in that no one wants a simple trade agreememt or non aggression pact. Crashing is a big issue with me because I rarely have them but this game crashed on the very first battle. a bad one too reset my whole computer and did a hard reboot. I'm sure there will be more issues like the AI is pretty easy too but hopefully that is because of these early factions I've encountered if it gets better without mods I'll up my score until then it gets a 1 Expand
  30. Sep 5, 2013
    The AI is completely broken, the battles in a city have no strategy at all, there are f0ck1ng special powers in the mid of the battle, i feel like i'm playing a MOBA, and I HATE MOBAs!!! I really miss the General Speech, it was one the favorite features in Rome TW. I'm really disappointed with this game, specially because they probably won't add the speeches back so soon, or maybe not atThe AI is completely broken, the battles in a city have no strategy at all, there are f0ck1ng special powers in the mid of the battle, i feel like i'm playing a MOBA, and I HATE MOBAs!!! I really miss the General Speech, it was one the favorite features in Rome TW. I'm really disappointed with this game, specially because they probably won't add the speeches back so soon, or maybe not at all. The reason i like Total War games is because they're games about history and realistic battles, not some goddamn MOBAs that have no strategy at all! This Game needs a ENORMOUS patch... Expand

1. Nov 18, 2013
    The game is far less polished than Shogun 2, and a few more patches will help, but Rome II is still a flawed game that is underwhelming when compared to previous titles in the franchise.
  2. Nov 6, 2013
    And here’s the rub: every addition, every sub-system, every mechanic is subservient to War. War is what Total War is really about. Everything else not directly related to conflict comes across as ancillary. Rome II is a game for warmongers, on both the campaign map and, obviously, on the battlefield. When peace is happening, nothing is happening. When war is happening, Rome comes alive.
  3. PC PowerPlay
    Oct 28, 2013
    If you will play literally anything featuring Total War and Rome in the same title and don't value your time, this is for you. [Nov 2013, p.80]