Total War: Shogun 2 PC

• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Mar 15, 2011
8.3

1. Mar 15, 2011
    Been playing since release, what can i say...i havnt slept...its pretty awesome, best total was since medieval 2! Looks amazing even tho theres no dx11 untill they patch it, then it'll be a 11/10!
  2. Mar 15, 2011
    Totally immense. Been waiting for this ages for ages, at last it is here and I just can't put it down! The graphics are sensational, out of this world! The siege battles were just amazing, probably the best bit of the whole game! I literally cannot put it down, I don't think I will be leaving the house for the next few weeks!
  3. Mar 15, 2011
    Wow, I mean, they almost lost me with Empire, Pulled me slowly back N:tw, and now this...Ca, you have restored my faith. Well played, The Multiplayer especially really sets me going, so much new stuff to do!
  4. Mar 15, 2011
    Love this game!!! Been waiting for this to be remade it seems like my whole life! The seige battles are well thought out and executed. Wahoo for Shogun 2!
  5. Mar 15, 2011
    It's out and the question is did The Creative Assembly pull it out the bag or flop. There's been a lot of negativity around Total War recently and everyoneâ
  6. Mar 15, 2011
    A leaner, meaner return to the game that started it all. Shogun 2: Total War pulls out all the stops and stands out as the most refined Total Wars to date. An excellent achievement and a fine addition to the franchise which I will gladly dedicate hundreds of hours of my valuable life to. The Creative Assembly have done it again, well done guys.
  7. Mar 15, 2011
    Best Total War title since MW2, arguably since Rome. Everything that was keeping the previous entries from being amazing was fixed. The AI has gone from ridiculously stupid to surprisingly clever. They'll lure you into traps and they know when to push and when to retreat. Naval battles are much more straightforward than in Empire/Napoleon, and so are significantly more action-packed. ThisBest Total War title since MW2, arguably since Rome. Everything that was keeping the previous entries from being amazing was fixed. The AI has gone from ridiculously stupid to surprisingly clever. They'll lure you into traps and they know when to push and when to retreat. Naval battles are much more straightforward than in Empire/Napoleon, and so are significantly more action-packed. This is helped by land masses and coasts, which provide a much more dynamic battlefield. The campaign is much more focused and has a pseudo-RPG feel, immersing you even more than before. The scale is smaller than Empire, but that much more detail has been packed into a smaller region. It's also worth mentioning that siege battles are much less straightforward and therefore much more fun than in traditional European-esque fights. Multiplayer was a great surprise. You can easily create a clan with your friends and find fights, moving over different regions and gaining new skills. As you progress, you can customize your general and his attributes with a rather large skill tree, you can add various perks to certain units (as well as damaging perks against your enemies), and ultimately you really do feel like you're leading a conquest against real people. The game isn't perfect, and most of its failings fall to the technical department. There are a few connection issues, but those are to be expected this early on. More disappointing are the visual settings. In its best, Shogun is easily the most beautiful TW, with amazing detail on each unit, great backdrops, and more detail all around, especially in the trees of the environment. Unfortunately, we won't get to see Shogun at its best for a while. Anti-Aliasing, higher Shader models, and DX11 features are completely absent from the release product; CA tells us that these will be added in a patch scheduled to arrive in 2-4 weeks. That's not really acceptable, and it feels like they were trying to meet a deadline. That aside, there are many optimization issues, especially with Phenom processors and AMD cards. Hopefully these will be addressed as well, if not by CA then by AMD and Nvidia.

Overall, this is a must-own for strategy fans, or fans of historical warfare in general. Easily the best Total War game in a long while.
  8. Mar 15, 2011
    Gosh, I say this game is rather fantastic! I'd been anticipating its arrival for months now and practically ripped it from my butler's hands this morning, feverishly unwrapped it and inserted the disc into one of my personal computers, and was it worth the wait? The answer is a resounding "RATHER!" . Being an avid historian, and a gentleman rather acquainted with Asian history, I foundGosh, I say this game is rather fantastic! I'd been anticipating its arrival for months now and practically ripped it from my butler's hands this morning, feverishly unwrapped it and inserted the disc into one of my personal computers, and was it worth the wait? The answer is a resounding "RATHER!" . Being an avid historian, and a gentleman rather acquainted with Asian history, I found the game to be absolutely delightful and a feast to all the senses! One should rush out immediately and purchase this game with no delay. Hurrah for all the chaps at The Creative Assembly. Well done, boys! Expand
  9. Mar 15, 2011
    This game was awsum!! I loved it so much really good graphics!!! Been playing since release!! Its so amazing!!!! brilliant multiplayer seriously awsum! Have had a blast playing it, only have pulled myself away to write this review!!!!
  10. Mar 22, 2011
    Disappointing game. The company has been making this games for 10 years and yet level of innovation is insignificant. Exactly same unwieldy interface in pre-battle and battle sequences. If you select more than a single unit it will have completely random effects on movement. Ordering entire army to move without binding them to a single group will be interpreted by a computer as a decisionDisappointing game. The company has been making this games for 10 years and yet level of innovation is insignificant. Exactly same unwieldy interface in pre-battle and battle sequences. If you select more than a single unit it will have completely random effects on movement. Ordering entire army to move without binding them to a single group will be interpreted by a computer as a decision to randomly send them all over the place. Which bring me to AI.

AI has not being improved at all since Empire regardless of what they say. You'll discover that Siege defender AI will get bugged and only defend one level of the castle without moving, so it's possible to outflank it, climb the walls and capture the castle with 0 casualties. AI in naval battles at best horrendous and worst, completely random. Units do not obey commands, movement is sluggish and while it is a leap from Empire naval battles, you will still be frustrated. Finally, your own units will perform random actions and will be really hard to control unless you are paying very close attention to each one. The subtleties of combat are gone, it's just as easy to pile everyone in, as to weave a complex plan and attempt to surround the enemies. Additionally, the largest disappointment will be in lack of polish, same as in Empire game. Assassination movies are present, but only for ninjas and geishas. Monks and metsuke don't get any movies. Bugs are still present in the game, everything from memory leaks to infinite load times, which are already significant. There is no way to load the game out of the battle and a lot of interface is so simplified, you will never look at it more than absolutely necessary. The much discussed generals and loyalty is a gimmick as there is nothing to do on that screen and with a minimum care, general will meet and exceed 6 stars of loyalty which makes him impossible to convert.

The land management is simplified, there is no development of any kind, what you see in your province is what you will see for the rest of the game. Sure it's pretty, but completely lacking any function. After a while you will stop looking at it altogether and provinces away from the action serve no purpose. Strategic game play is lacking too. AI will not make an aggressive grab for trading routes, and at some point the income is so large that you simply upgrade everything making minimal choices of what to build and there is never any wrong choice or even a hard choice. All you need to do is simple math: food in and food out has to equal 0 for best performance. Farms produce food, castles and markets remove it. Finally, it will get old way before you will reach the end. You'll be going through the motions of capturing one province after another with little improvement in game play. Overall, it was an exciting game to start playing but disappointing in how much potential was wasted and not implemented. Granted, you can't make the perfect game, as there is always lack of time, money or team skill that will prevent designer from archiving his vision. But come on... the team is not lacking money or time, and skill... well, perhaps they fired everyone good and kept people who will follow simple directions. This is not the culmination of 10 years of experience and hard work, this is a quick and easy remake without any thought or inspiration. Well, let's wait until the next one.
  11. Mar 26, 2011
    I've played every single Total War game to date. And I can tell you what they all have in common. Everything. Its been 11 years, starting with Shogun and after spending another wasted 50 on Shogun 2, I hope it ends on the sequel to this classic series. Total War has dozens of wonderful and amazing design features. It will always be a fun game. Its idiosyncratic habits.. are fun. ItsI've played every single Total War game to date. And I can tell you what they all have in common. Everything. Its been 11 years, starting with Shogun and after spending another wasted 50 on Shogun 2, I hope it ends on the sequel to this classic series. Total War has dozens of wonderful and amazing design features. It will always be a fun game. Its idiosyncratic habits.. are fun. Its campaign is both a fantastic time sink and a great source of entertainment. I'm not a fan of multiplayer in these games so I'll leave that to another reviewer. I've extolled how adequate I think the game is so far now for my actual review and opinion.

It can (and after 1-2 years will) crawl under the porch to die, unremembered and unloved. I Just PLAYED this game! They called it Napo.. wait Empire:TW! The units are different (Not so different considering my avid fandom to Medieval II:TW and Rome:TW. The strategies are still the same. The buildings logical conclusions are still the same. The only new feature compared to its predessesors is the addition of food management, a crucial resource that limits the amount of castle and market upgrades you can ultimately have. One new thing. Lots of old.

Archer vs Melee vs Cav vs Archer with two differerent melee types to counter each other. The same unit stat points- new textures and more of a load for my video card. And a poorer preforming product. I can get the same unit set and the same buildings in Medieval 2, except ultra fast battle speed works as fast as intended.

A definite downgrade is the replayability of the Grand campaign. Before you had very unique races and an extremely large map. Now its devolved into Clan A gets better bows, Clan E gets better seige and don't ever pick clan F because they're specialty, ship upgrades, is worthless once a super powered European Galleon appears and you capture it, literally winning every naval engagement without any upgrades. Look, I appreciate the game looks even better than it did before (although I'd expect such a low incremental upgrade to visuals from an expansion pack, not a year or two of work). This though, this is got to stop. The AI is still rotten at making decisions, trade alliances and vassals are still bugged and the final stretch is, as with Empire, autoattack win next turn autoattack. Maybe I'm just hung up on that one time in Medieval 2 when the Mongols invaded and attacked me at Damascus. I had a 2000 strong army in a fortress against 8000 bloodthirsty Asians. I remember being so proud of myself, turning away their massively larger army after an amazing battle, filled with both tactics and strategy. And I remember the very next turn, with my brave remaining 400 soldiers that just defeated a full stack of Mongols.. Another 8000 stepped up and laid siege. This is what Empire and Shogun 2 lack. There are no game changing occurences and aside from the appearance of the Black Ship the whole thing could take place in 1200 or 2100, no historical events actually occur.

Yes the graphics are pretty.
    Yeah its still TW.

But you've played it before. Pick it up for $30 if you must but please, for my revenge against Creative Assemblys latest uncreative venture- don't pick this game.
  12. May 4, 2011
    As someone who has never played a previous "total war" title, but HAS played every iteration of Civilization - I have to say everything except the combat in this game is a cheap knock off of CiV5. The voiceover accents, while authentic, are unintentionally comical. Which brings me back to the combat, personally I felt like every engagement became a huge clusterfark and those with the mostAs someone who has never played a previous "total war" title, but HAS played every iteration of Civilization - I have to say everything except the combat in this game is a cheap knock off of CiV5. The voiceover accents, while authentic, are unintentionally comical. Which brings me back to the combat, personally I felt like every engagement became a huge clusterfark and those with the most numbers would win and there didn't seem to be much strategy to it beyond "melee up front, archers stand back and shoot". Perhaps I am oversimplifying it, but even the castle sieges which look like they'll be epic - just turn into complete clusterfarks where greater number of troops win and skill be damned. With all that said, it seems like the developers put a lot of work into the game and i'm sure fans of the franchise can see it as being a step forward but from my roughly 25 hours of play I can't say i've become a fan. Expand
  13. Apr 5, 2011
    awsome game my only complaints are not being able to get all my friends in game at same time and the ai gets insane at times. you tell the archers to take to the wall, for instance and they stand there ignoring the command or you click a spot for a unit then go on to something else come back and there off in nowhere land and too few trade spots on the map. If you dont get to them quicklyawsome game my only complaints are not being able to get all my friends in game at same time and the ai gets insane at times. you tell the archers to take to the wall, for instance and they stand there ignoring the command or you click a spot for a unit then go on to something else come back and there off in nowhere land and too few trade spots on the map. If you dont get to them quickly you wont get them without fighting unwinable sea battles. I call them unwinable because it never fails. ill have the ai outnumbered and they take my ships and sink others over and over. love the graphics and the number of extra commands available to units compared to previous versions. Expand
  14. Jul 31, 2011
    reasonable good game play good graphics and the need of tactics and you can make your own avatar to use as general in multi player the only disappointment is the lack of different troops between the playable clans. but this is a very good recovery after Napoleon TW
  15. Dec 21, 2011
    A great game, with a long singleplayer campaign and detailed battles. Personally I think it is very unbalanced however, since samurai - who are trained from birth into accepting death - still flee easily when outnumbered. I really do not like the way the morale system is balanced, or the pathfinding for units either, for that matter. Also, archers and cavalry are very weak and navalA great game, with a long singleplayer campaign and detailed battles. Personally I think it is very unbalanced however, since samurai - who are trained from birth into accepting death - still flee easily when outnumbered. I really do not like the way the morale system is balanced, or the pathfinding for units either, for that matter. Also, archers and cavalry are very weak and naval battles are slow as hell. As a whole the game isn't that bad though. Expand
  16. Jan 6, 2012
    Very fun game. The learning curve is a little patchy and the tutorial for the game could have been much better (I have played no previous Total War games). It needs to explain things like friendly fire from archers, charge bonuses, attacking from two directions, campaign strategy, and so on. I also found the graphics to be a little disappointing for a 2011 game - grass sprites will popVery fun game. The learning curve is a little patchy and the tutorial for the game could have been much better (I have played no previous Total War games). It needs to explain things like friendly fire from archers, charge bonuses, attacking from two directions, campaign strategy, and so on. I also found the graphics to be a little disappointing for a 2011 game - grass sprites will pop into and out of view, etc. However once you get into the game it's rewarding, engrossing and balanced. Expand
  17. Apr 20, 2011
    The best Total War game since Rome for me. The modes are largely the same with Multiplayer receiving substantial excellent changes, another change is the new inclusion of Legendary mode on the Campaign which is also a fantastic new feature for Total War veterans. Took me 7 attempts but I managed to complete it on legendary, which gives a great sense of achievement. The updates coming toThe best Total War game since Rome for me. The modes are largely the same with Multiplayer receiving substantial excellent changes, another change is the new inclusion of Legendary mode on the Campaign which is also a fantastic new feature for Total War veterans. Took me 7 attempts but I managed to complete it on legendary, which gives a great sense of achievement. The updates coming to the game are also great with a DX 11 patch on the way and more bug fixes for mostly multiplayer as we go along. Thanks Creative Assembly! Expand
  18. Mar 13, 2013
    I've played through all the Total War games in the last 6 months in preparation for Rome 2, and I have to say Shogun 2 compares really badly with Rome and Medieval (let's not talk about Empire). I'm afraid to say it's just boring. I've sleep walked into victory, hardly having to engage my brain.

Poor effort
  19. Jun 9, 2013
    they did silly things with high grade difficulties. they removed features that were pretty vital to the game. Legendary mode, the shinobi unit "scouting" for the army no longer even factors into movement range. it was a pretty important perk that it still says it does. main 3 weapons were the sword, Naginata spear and yari spear. sword being anti-infantry to yari being anti-cavalry andthey did silly things with high grade difficulties. they removed features that were pretty vital to the game. Legendary mode, the shinobi unit "scouting" for the army no longer even factors into movement range. it was a pretty important perk that it still says it does. main 3 weapons were the sword, Naginata spear and yari spear. sword being anti-infantry to yari being anti-cavalry and Naginata being the even medium between the blades. Match making was very unfair to new players on multiplier. a new player with nothing but Ashiguri low morale units forced to fight artillery of a high leveled veteran player defending up a hill. a couple of recent patch and upgrades has killed solo player alot. the fact relations between two "alliances" don't even matter. a very friendly unit with over 400 points with, declared war on me for no reason. good relations with the entire map. Expand
  20. Jan 22, 2015
    Shogun Total War 2 is first casual game in the Total War series. It offers great experience with limited content. Casual and fast paced battles, simple rock-paper-scissors strategy and small map may be good for next generation players but at the same time these are the weak points for hardcore fans. Feudal japan concept is successfully created with beautiful graphics and sound effects.Shogun Total War 2 is first casual game in the Total War series. It offers great experience with limited content. Casual and fast paced battles, simple rock-paper-scissors strategy and small map may be good for next generation players but at the same time these are the weak points for hardcore fans. Feudal japan concept is successfully created with beautiful graphics and sound effects. Game has less technical problems compared to first Rome and its followers.(except famous SEGA splash screen bug). Land battles are shorter than older games so can't be watched decently but they are very excited and brutal. Naval battles are playable and entertaining after Empire TW and Napoleon TW sea battle failures. There are too many good DLC's to increase unit and faction diversity by adding new clans and clan specific units. Like the other TW games, this game has a poor AI too. Thankfully, CA has an epic modding community and there are too many good mods to improve AI's ability. As a result Shogun Total War 2 is a good game with new casual gameplay elements for new players and price is reasonable for a AAA strategy game. But if you're hardcore TW fan and love samurai concept, I recommend to you Total War Shogun 2: Fall of Samurai. Expand
  21. Sep 5, 2013
    If you have ever played any other total war game you know exactly what you are getting into. A very strong strategy game with in depth and detailed units that will have you're jaw dropped. Something a little bit new in this installment is the animations, hand to hand combat has never looked so good. Other than the looks, the actual game will have you sit down in your chair and have youIf you have ever played any other total war game you know exactly what you are getting into. A very strong strategy game with in depth and detailed units that will have you're jaw dropped. Something a little bit new in this installment is the animations, hand to hand combat has never looked so good. Other than the looks, the actual game will have you sit down in your chair and have you think about the future of your clan, truly a thinking man's game, have Christianity spread through your lands and you may have a split in society, some saying you have lost your tradition, others praising you for open mindedness. Anyways this is a great buy! Expand
  22. Jul 4, 2013
    A must have for all gamers fascinated by feudal Japan. Great graphics, awesome soundtrack, solid gameplay and heaps of replay value. Highly recommended!
  23. Aug 25, 2011
    I have played every Total War game that has been released so far since the original Shogun TW and I can tell you that in my opinion this is by far the best. The graphics are beautiful, the individual units are lovingly detailed and the campaign is really enjoyable. I have so far got 162 hours of playtime out of this game according to my steam profile which is by far more than you'll getI have played every Total War game that has been released so far since the original Shogun TW and I can tell you that in my opinion this is by far the best. The graphics are beautiful, the individual units are lovingly detailed and the campaign is really enjoyable. I have so far got 162 hours of playtime out of this game according to my steam profile which is by far more than you'll get from playing most other games. In terms of things the game has done really well I would cite the AI as being very good, especially on the harder difficulties. The historical research that has gone into the game is also impressive and so is the gameplay as a whole. For me, this game would easily get a 10/10 but there are a few things which let it down. The multiplayer and co-op campaigns are hopelessly broken and months later Creative Assembly has still not fixed this problem which is shocking in itself. Similarly the AI has a tendency to spam archer units (which seems to b a problem with every total war game so far actually), which results in some very annoying battles especially as archers seem to be rather over-powered in the game. However, despite that issue the AI, as I previously mentioned, is on the whole very good. If CA were to fix these problems then for me this would be a perfect game. However, part of the reason I'm writing this review is due to glancing at the "Negative" reviews below. While some raise valid points others are just plainly ridiculous. For example one person has given it a 2 after playing it for over 350 hours and cites his reason for this as "lack of replay value". This begs the question, "what was he doing for those 350 hours?"! Staring at the title screen? I have played the game for less than half that amount of time and have finished and replayed it over 8 times which is hardly a negligible amount and more than almost any other game. Other criticisms include the lack of unit types, this I find strange. While in most total war games the concept is nation against nation, with all the differences in military development, equipment and strategy that would entail. However, Shogun 2 is a country in the grip of civil war. There would not be dramatically different units for each clan as their military development would generally be along the same lines as their neighbouring provinces. It would be like expecting Sussex and Kent to have dramatically different units in a theoretical England Total War or expecting Rhode Island and Connecticut to be dramatically different in a hypothetical America Total War. The small unit varieties of Shogun 2 are part of what makes it realistic. Similarly, having said that, it's not that there is a lack of unit variety in the game anyway. There are less unit types than previous Total War games certainly but that is not the same as there not being any variety at all, there is just the right amount of variety and for those who disagree there is DLC which offers more units at a cheap price. Similarly, a lot of the complaints are from people who simply can't figure out how to play the game properly. For example, with diplomacy I was also slightly frustrated with it when I began playing but as I played the game more I figured out how to use it properly and I no longer have any problems with it. I feel it's unfair to blame the game for your own lack of ability when playing it. In summary, the game is great but not without flaws. Ignore a lot of the moaning you hear about the game, some is valid and some is not. Engage your brain to realise the difference. However, do NOT buy this game if a large part of your motivation behind purchasing it is the multiplayer, you will be very disappointed. DO buy this game if you have enjoyed the single player campaign of the other Total War games and don't mind a little bit of extra strategy involved in the gameplay. Expand
  24. Sep 1, 2011
    A decent addition to the already worthy Total War series. After Empire and Napoleon, I especially liked that Total War picked a less firearms focused theme this time. And the mechanics and overall gameplay are well done. If there's anything I could criticise, it's probably the lack of different loading screens.
  25. Sep 24, 2011
    Excellent RTS, The only problem i would say there was, was the lack of units. I realize they saved them for DLC's but for reasons I won't get into I was never able to get those. Therefore it bothered me that there where more things I could have had to work with and knew it before the DLC's ever game out because of the hints in the encyclopedia. Other than that though, I pretty much have noExcellent RTS, The only problem i would say there was, was the lack of units. I realize they saved them for DLC's but for reasons I won't get into I was never able to get those. Therefore it bothered me that there where more things I could have had to work with and knew it before the DLC's ever game out because of the hints in the encyclopedia. Other than that though, I pretty much have no complaints. I would perhaps like to see one day, if Total War made gorilla warfare more important rather than always just making large armies that steamroll their way through the enemies hopes and dreams in seconds. Expand
  26. Nov 13, 2012
    Not just Strategy; Out of the 10,000+ games made, I think this is the best ever. It takes everything I loved from Rome:TW, and moves it to the current generation... I am so excited for Rome 2 that I just **** my pants.
  27. Dec 31, 2011
    This is a great game. It's possibly the best strategy game ever made. It runs smoothly even on older hardware. I can't say enough good things about it.
  28. Dec 26, 2011
    As veteran of the entire Total War series I can say without a doubt that Shogun 2 is the best installment when it comes to multiplayer. What they did with Shogun 2 in regards to the multiplayer aspect is phenomenal, the unit/avatar progression and leveling system combined with the territory conquest and clan systems is addicting. As for the singleplayer? Well, it is very dumbed down andAs veteran of the entire Total War series I can say without a doubt that Shogun 2 is the best installment when it comes to multiplayer. What they did with Shogun 2 in regards to the multiplayer aspect is phenomenal, the unit/avatar progression and leveling system combined with the territory conquest and clan systems is addicting. As for the singleplayer? Well, it is very dumbed down and simplified and I think fans of the older Total War games who enjoyed the economy micromanagment aspect will be dissapointed. Great game overall. Expand
  29. May 17, 2012
    Serious technical flaws mar this otherwise fun game. I really enjoy the complexity and flavor of the Civilization-esque over-map, though the battle map could use much more work. While it is impressive to see so many units on the field, the combat is dull an uninteresting with little tactical significance.

The game is buggy, and can have issues loading. I haven't ever experience a crash in game, but loading the game up I have many times.

Overall I am happy I bought the game while on sale, but would not pay full price due to the technical issues.
  30. Apr 29, 2012
    In all my multiple games the AI never lived up to the challenge of the old total war games.
    Battles do not need much planning. It is just holding your position. I have never encountered any surprise attacks by the AI.
  31. May 10, 2012
    This game is the best Total war game to date. This Total war game does not have the best campaign to date but I can't explain why. The map has stunning visuals and a large variety of factions, maybe Im not as interested in Japan's history as I am in Napoleonic history. The actual battles are the what make the game. Shogun 2 has removed all of the problems of all the other total war games.This game is the best Total war game to date. This Total war game does not have the best campaign to date but I can't explain why. The map has stunning visuals and a large variety of factions, maybe Im not as interested in Japan's history as I am in Napoleonic history. The actual battles are the what make the game. Shogun 2 has removed all of the problems of all the other total war games. The game rewards attacking over defending(Crippling noob campers in multiplayer) by adding Keypoints in the centre of the map which give bonuses to the player that captures them. If a player captures all of the keypoints a counter begins which stops campers completely. This encourages players to rush for the centre, pretty much throwing all idea's of corner camping into the garbage. The sieges are just epic. Seiges have been limited to 20 minutes and attackers have been given more money to spend allowing the defenders to attack quickly instead of bombarding castles for an hour. Graphics are 5/5, Campaign 2.5/5 and gameplay is 4.5/5.

Also get Fall of the Samurai.
  32. Jun 16, 2012
    In subjective way, I am very interested in samurai and japan history. Regardless of my interests, this game is awesome. What I see is not only about game, it's also about history. Moreover, it makes you feel like you are really running a country or a military clan.
  33. Jun 11, 2012
    Brilliant atmosphere, immersing you in Japanese culture. Great and varied gameplay, lots of units, upgrades, and government management.

The online play, though, can be dodgy: with people farming their avatar level by rigging siege matches (for example, they will take nothing but gunmen on a multi-tiered castle and take infantry moral reducing abilities).
  34. May 30, 2012
    Excellent game. The blend of turn based and real time strategy is incredibly addictive. The battles are extremely fun, and the AI is well thought out. Multiplayer is fun too, but really just for playing with friends because the balancing in online match play doesn't really work.

Would be worthy of a 10, but it's got a few annoying bugs.
  35. Jun 10, 2012
    brilliant game,keeps you hooked for hours,tick drop in on campaign for other players to drop in as opposition in your battles, waiting for new pc before going live so i can play at max settings do not want to upset pros with slow computer loading & connection once i have im sure my score will go closer to 10
  36. Jun 12, 2012
    The game is extremely good on the campaign and could easily become glued to it for hours. The graphics aren't the best I have seen but then again I am playing on a 42" TV, may I add HD for that matter :P

The only downfall to Shogun 2 is that the online is extremely poor!! The characters are not evenly matched. I had my general with no casualties taken out by Yari Ki, even though the Yari Ki have sustained casualties before battle, I find this extremely stupid as this is like top notch spear men getting wiped out by peasants!! If you want good online play stick to Napoleon Total war (I haven't played Shogun 1), but for a kick ass campaign stick with Shogun 2.

Another thing I didn't like about Shogun 2 is that melee infantry are pretty useless online (I have won with melee but was extremely hard), it's all about the line infantry just like Napoleon.

My verdict get Shogun 2 for campaign and Napoleon for online.
  37. Jul 30, 2012
    A very solid and enjoyable game. Admittedly, the unit variety isn't awe inspiring. Neither is the replay ability, as every clan is almost identical. Also, loading times are HUUUUUUGGEEEE and the ai is a bit shoddy. It's really incredibly annoying when your guys refuse to turn and fight or fire until they're all in nicely arranged lines......then they're ridden down by cavalry while they'reA very solid and enjoyable game. Admittedly, the unit variety isn't awe inspiring. Neither is the replay ability, as every clan is almost identical. Also, loading times are HUUUUUUGGEEEE and the ai is a bit shoddy. It's really incredibly annoying when your guys refuse to turn and fight or fire until they're all in nicely arranged lines......then they're ridden down by cavalry while they're faffing around. In spite of those problems however, this really is a first rate game. The battles are very fun, particularly with the blood dlc, and can be pretty brutal. The gameplay improvements are good, with the exception of navies which are still a bit rubbish. Campaign map gameplay is challenging and tactical and definately fun. Overall, a good game worth buying, though definately not the best Total war. Or the second best. Buy it, but make sure to pick up Fall of the Samurai because that's excellent. Avoid rise of the samurai, that's just pointless Expand
  38. Jul 4, 2013
    Honestly I enjoyed Empire a lot more. The combat doesn't exactly feel very tactical. A lot of times, even with the Darth Mod, the AI just charges across the map and slams into you. The AI hasn't got the first clue how to put together a naval fleet or command it in battle. The only thing you have to worry about is a glitch that causes them to scatter to the edges of the map making you spendHonestly I enjoyed Empire a lot more. The combat doesn't exactly feel very tactical. A lot of times, even with the Darth Mod, the AI just charges across the map and slams into you. The AI hasn't got the first clue how to put together a naval fleet or command it in battle. The only thing you have to worry about is a glitch that causes them to scatter to the edges of the map making you spend the next several minutes cruising around the map's edge picking them off. As far as unit balance, the sea units are better off and all have clear roles, though the AI is so stupid at sea that this doesn't really matter. Wining a sea battle in Shogun 2 is like tying your shoes, anybody can do it,so all that matters getting it over with as quickly as possible. On land, cavalry is superfluous. The value of ranged infantry is questionable. I kind of feel like I could make a big swarm of no-dichi samurai and they'd pretty much beat anything. Katana and spear infantry are all that really matters because more often than not the AI will charge in and it will just turn into a big melee fight. On the grand strategy map, the AI is just stupidly aggressive. They flood the sea with fleets of cheap boats that you have to engage in long stupid battle with. Unless you outnumber the enemy by about 4 to 1, the auto-resolve almost always causes you to take ridiculous losses, especially at sea. Enemies wage war constantly and for no reason. Creating vassals is just stupid as they always turn on you. Then there is the Realm Divide event which happens as you'rr about halfway to beating the game and causes everyone to wage war on you with no hope of peace, essentially making diplomacy entirely pointless for about half of every game's duration. I have yet to build most of the buildings or research all of the techs because every game ends so quickly as everyone insists on waging war and being killed. The graphics look nice up close, but once you zoom out it actually looks a lot worse than Empire. Probably intended to improve performance. The soundtrack is forgettable. I would say the game is a little better than Civilization 5. Expand
  39. Aug 25, 2012
    I was introduced to the total war series/franchise by Rome:Total war and after I bought shogun 2 it felt like I really was the shogunete ruling japan with an iron fist.I honestly think shogun 2 is the best modern graphics and gameplay wise RTS game that players have been waiting for
  40. Oct 6, 2012
    It's nice that the Creative A. went back to japan again, i love that time in which the samurai ruled. There are not many changes compared to previous parts but everything is perfected. I give it a 9 because, like the first shogun, this game draws you into a piece of history, it has great fitting music and the great gameplay. Graphics are nice but I don't think that is a priority to thisIt's nice that the Creative A. went back to japan again, i love that time in which the samurai ruled. There are not many changes compared to previous parts but everything is perfected. I give it a 9 because, like the first shogun, this game draws you into a piece of history, it has great fitting music and the great gameplay. Graphics are nice but I don't think that is a priority to this genre. This game will keep me busy for a while. Expand
  41. Nov 4, 2012
    I am caught between loving this game and hating it.. it has all the elements of a great game.. graphics are amazing, battles are realistic and challenging, and the multiplayer is a breath of fresh air compared to previous total war games... however the single player campaign is frustrating and impossible to win without playing every single battle in person.. auto-resolves almost always endI am caught between loving this game and hating it.. it has all the elements of a great game.. graphics are amazing, battles are realistic and challenging, and the multiplayer is a breath of fresh air compared to previous total war games... however the single player campaign is frustrating and impossible to win without playing every single battle in person.. auto-resolves almost always end in a phyrric victory with you losing almost all of your army, even when versing an obviously inferior opponent. combine this with the realm divide, when you amass a sizeable kingdom, which in turn forces all remaining factions to declare war on you, even allies and vassal states, and all of my campaigns eventually grind to a highly annoying halt.. i have never been able to complete a campaign, nevertheless i will keep trying however stressful it may be. Expand
  42. Jun 19, 2013
    Never played multipalyer for this game, but I did like the campaign mode. I am an avid Total War fan all the way to the first Shogun game, so I was giddy when I heard they were making a modern sequel. As I expected, it is much similar to the first game but with massive improvements in graphics, AI, game elements, and gameplay. The AI is still not the best, but it still does a good job andNever played multipalyer for this game, but I did like the campaign mode. I am an avid Total War fan all the way to the first Shogun game, so I was giddy when I heard they were making a modern sequel. As I expected, it is much similar to the first game but with massive improvements in graphics, AI, game elements, and gameplay. The AI is still not the best, but it still does a good job and generally makes smart moves. Sometimes the AI definitely gets to be in a pain in the neck when they make a move that I unfortunately failed to see coming and they begin razing my towns ugh! But that's part of the fun of this game.

The best part, other than the actual strategic elements on the campaign map, are of course the real-time battles that you can dive into. My gaming rig thankfully can handle maxed out graphics, and this baby is GORGEOUS! I wish there was blood and gore though; I honestly haven't checked if there's a mod or DLC for that yet.

I wish the mini-cut scenes for agents were more varied, but as always I am intrigued to watch and see whether they succeed or fail. Speaking of cut scenes, the generals' speeches before every battle are always fun to listen to and watch. Yes, they if you think about it they are kinda funny and cheesy, but if you set your mind to it you do appreciate that they try to make it inspirational and immersive that way.

While some reviews here complain that all it really comes down to is who has the bigger army, particularly in caste sieges, I beg to differ. I have won countless battles now in my dozens of hours of gameplay where I was outnumbered, sometimes even 2:1. What truly matters is unit experience, unit type, and how you deploy them in the battlefield.

One grip I do have about the sieges is that the fortress/city or whatever aren't realistic or as expansive/detailed as you would expect one to be. It's mostly a huge empty space where your army is deployed, guard towers (if you have any), maybe a building or two and a shrine, and then the walls. That's about it, which is unrealistic. That said, it is nice to see there are buildings beyond the walls, like small villages around the main city, but again even those aren't as big as they should be.

One of the best RTS games you can play, with samurais and ninjas! How awesome is that?? Very.
  43. Dec 19, 2012
    Being a hardened veteran of the total war series since shogun total war 1, I have seen the evolution this series from the start. I will say that shogun 2 brought some improvements to the real time fighting that I could only dream of in medieval total war. The game is beautiful and most all aspects of the game provide a satisfying challenge. If you play online you will later findBeing a hardened veteran of the total war series since shogun total war 1, I have seen the evolution this series from the start. I will say that shogun 2 brought some improvements to the real time fighting that I could only dream of in medieval total war. The game is beautiful and most all aspects of the game provide a satisfying challenge. If you play online you will later find yourself capable of taking on any enemy AI army outnumbered 5 to 1 but that makes you feel good as well. I personally find the siege battles to be less engaging than other total war titles due to the fact that in 1500 Japan a castle was actually just a giant dirt mound with some small walls built around it. Thus siege equipment is almost completely irrelevant. The tech tree is quite well done in this title which is definitly a plus. However there are two things in my opinion that make the game not so fun to play at times. One of them is the drawn out load times. When you launch the game it takes 60 -180 seconds to get past the initial load screen. Not only that but the load screens in between battles and the campaign map last 20-60 seconds. That is way too long to be left as acceptable. The 2nd problem is that although no longer prominent at the time I write this, the game was released in a state that contained a million and one things that could cause it to crash, desync, or black out on you for no apparent reason. Multiplayer in particular was prone to crashes and corruption every few turns. It took the devs about a year and a half to properly iron out of all these bugs. These may only be 2 problems that I have listed but they were so major I tear up at the memory of how many times my game would crash, force me to load for 2 minutes, and then crash again. Expand
  44. Dec 30, 2012
    It's like Rome but with Japan and co-op.I much prefer the clan choice to all other total war games and I prefer the map even if it's a little small.Still really good.
  45. Apr 1, 2013
    I've been playing the game since its release and have more than 500 hours of gameplay. During this time I've found a single Bug, and the game has never crashed.
    Bug:
    http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/2268/2012010800001.jpg Compared to its predecessors: + better graphics + Gunners & Archers shoot more realistic + smarter AI + useful agents + well animated combats + awesome special
    Bug:

Compared to its predecessors:
    + better graphics
    + Gunners & Archers shoot more realistic
    + smarter AI
    + useful agents
    + well animated combats
    + awesome special Abilities such as the warshout of the warrior monks
    - every faction has pretty the same units
    - small Map

Overall it's an awesome game like all of its predecessors.
  46. Apr 25, 2013
    To truly rate this game you should not only buy the the main version, but also spend some money on DLCs, unlocking all the clans and special units. They add quite a lot of diversity and make the game more interesting, creating new strategic options and giving you some extra challenge when adapting to certain enemy advantages. The cost of those add-ons, from which most we shouldn't have toTo truly rate this game you should not only buy the the main version, but also spend some money on DLCs, unlocking all the clans and special units. They add quite a lot of diversity and make the game more interesting, creating new strategic options and giving you some extra challenge when adapting to certain enemy advantages. The cost of those add-ons, from which most we shouldn't have to pay for IMO, are the main reason I won't give it 10. The game mechanics, graphics and pure joy battles will give you are incredible and it's worth every dime you spend on it, but still unlocking some of it's content is clearly overpriced and it's hard not to be at least a little disgusted with how Sega manages those. Expand
  47. Apr 25, 2013
    Being a big fan of the Total War franchise I really enjoyed this game. Everything in it lived up to my expectations for it. The only drawbacks in the game is a lack of variety when it comes to units, the new focus on DLCs and the fact that easier AI opponents tend to be easier because they are stupid and exhibit typical 'stupid AI'-behavior. However, missing unit variety does not take awayBeing a big fan of the Total War franchise I really enjoyed this game. Everything in it lived up to my expectations for it. The only drawbacks in the game is a lack of variety when it comes to units, the new focus on DLCs and the fact that easier AI opponents tend to be easier because they are stupid and exhibit typical 'stupid AI'-behavior. However, missing unit variety does not take away any of the wonderful fun in commanding large armies in your quest for the title of Shogun in single player, and even the new DLC focus can be forgiven with the release of great DLCs like The Rise- and The Fall of the Samurai. The 'stupid AI'-problem can be fixed by upping the difficulty of the game or by playing the multiplayer segment. Even this multiplayer segment is very well done and can present a true challenge to everyone.
    All in all the game is great and should be recommended to anyone who likes commanding armies in a mix between real time and turn based strategy.
    I look forward to see what is next for the Total War Series.
  48. May 22, 2013
    Played this game for around 900 hours solo in campaign mode. It's extremely addictive. There are 2 things bad to say about this game. Siege battles are sometimes unplayable because units are stuck behind a wall, don't respond to your orders etc..Same happened with the previous ones and it sometimes ruined your whole campaign!! Another disadvantage is that their is pretty much no unitPlayed this game for around 900 hours solo in campaign mode. It's extremely addictive. There are 2 things bad to say about this game. Siege battles are sometimes unplayable because units are stuck behind a wall, don't respond to your orders etc..Same happened with the previous ones and it sometimes ruined your whole campaign!! Another disadvantage is that their is pretty much no unit variation like rome and medieval. Expand
  49. Jun 5, 2013
    Good game, but the game has some downsides, like the Realm divide. Still a very good game. The massive battles are fun as hell! I recommend this game to any Total War game. If you are not sure, play the demo or wait for Rome 2!
  50. Sep 5, 2013
    This game is great and has good music.

Multiplayer quick battle matchmaking: Its very punishing on new players because of veteran units gaining more stats however if you keep at it you'll eventually have those veteran units. I've played this part of the game the most as its very fun. Only thing I wouldn't recommend is having a normal Shogun 2 army fighting a Fall of the Samurai army.
    This game is great and has good music.

Single player campaign: Takes quite a few hours to complete a single campaign. Realm divide is just plain annoying and wasn't expected the first time I ran into it and sadly the higher difficulties aren't as enjoyable because you're stuck defending the whole game. If you don't mind preparing for realm divide it can be fun.

Co-op Campaign: I've only completed maybe three of these. You can share units with your friend in battles so they have something to do other than watch the fight which is nice.

Only real complaint about this game is the loading times. (An example of this is the start up load screen takes about 2 minutes every time.) Other than that its an amazing game and I recommend it.
  51. Sep 5, 2013
    After playing all of the Total War games, I could easily crown this the reigning champion.

Its easy to admire the wonderful graphics and solid UI, but where it shines is in its subtle aspects (Historical accuracy, the way agents and armies/towns synergies, etc). There is a completeness to the gameplay that is hard to capture and present to an audience. Overall, Shogun is best at what

There is a completeness to the gameplay that is hard to capture and present to an audience. Overall, Shogun is best at what it does. So do yourself a favor and get this one.
  52. Sep 5, 2013
    Only after playing Rome 2 I released how good Shogun 2 was. Here we have user friendly and nice interface. Family tree which ensures great roleplay. Graphics are great and Sakura are amazingly beautiful

I strongly recommend to try this game if you never played TW games before. Rome 2 currently is a huge mess.
  53. Mar 17, 2011
    Shogun 2: Total War has to be the best experience I've had in an RTS in a very long time. The campaign is stellar and reeks of creativity. Many features from previous Total War games really lacked in comparison to this game. It literally kept me up for a 36 hour period of non stop campaign fun. Multiplayer is the most hilarious fun I've had in years. The players are fair and challenging,Shogun 2: Total War has to be the best experience I've had in an RTS in a very long time. The campaign is stellar and reeks of creativity. Many features from previous Total War games really lacked in comparison to this game. It literally kept me up for a 36 hour period of non stop campaign fun. Multiplayer is the most hilarious fun I've had in years. The players are fair and challenging, not to mention friendly which is a surprise from most of my RTS experiences over the years. The games mechanics and innovation from previous Total War games are awesome to say the least, the Concept of Bushido, the ability to convert to Christianity, and the whole concept of massive warfare, I loved this game, I highly recommend it to anyone who's ever enjoyed an RTS or a TBS game. The game play is fun and challenging. The one flaw I'm sure they will correct is the sort of uselessness the Bow Calvary have, otherwise this is simply a great game. It's the best game I've played in two years.

Get this game as quickly as humanly possible, If you don't believe me, check other reviewers on this site.
  54. Jul 7, 2011
    Shogun 2 Total War is not really a new instalment in the Total War franchise, more like a polished version of the first one, with a batch of new features and fancy graphics. But thats not really a bad thing, the Total War franchise has been a dominant player in the Turn based strategy gaming world ever since Rome: Total War. This game has no real story, the only objective is veryShogun 2 Total War is not really a new instalment in the Total War franchise, more like a polished version of the first one, with a batch of new features and fancy graphics. But thats not really a bad thing, the Total War franchise has been a dominant player in the Turn based strategy gaming world ever since Rome: Total War. This game has no real story, the only objective is very simple....take over Japan. There are a couple of problems with this though, the developers pushed hard to emphasize that you play "however you want" through diplomacy, espionage, or through total military action, but the only way you will EVER win is with total military action. Another lingering problem that has haunted the Total War series is the incapable auto-managing AI, which will constantly raise taxes to the maximum level whenever it is engaged. This lack of any support from the AI to help manage your towns and cities is stressful at times, and doesn't add any real fun to game play, only frustration as you sit their trying to prevent rebellions and not going bankrupt. Another problem is the lack of any diversity between factions, as is, their isnt any...at all, they are virtually the same faction with different coloured armour and a few special bonuses to a select few major factions, unlike other total war games in recent memory, you will get extremely bored with each faction, and sometimes, even forget what faction your actually playing at times, although the developers cannot be specifically blamed for this since, well, it takes place on Japan, and diversity on a secluded island doesn't really exist.

Other than those little nagging issues, this game is almost identical to other games in the series, with nothing really new added onto it, but it's still a damn good game, and will take up hours of your day at a time once you get really into it. And with better looking graphics and a simplified interface, this game should go on any Total War fans "To buy" list.
  55. Sep 5, 2012
    I've played all of the Total War games with the exception of the first medieval. I've seen people critically acclaim game after game when there is actually no improvement from Rome Total War to this day. I don't understand what merit the new Total War games can have when they only shuffle around a few features, lose some of the most important aspects of the first Total War game - ShogunI've played all of the Total War games with the exception of the first medieval. I've seen people critically acclaim game after game when there is actually no improvement from Rome Total War to this day. I don't understand what merit the new Total War games can have when they only shuffle around a few features, lose some of the most important aspects of the first Total War game - Shogun and add new annoying things that lower overall quality. In this review I am going to systematically point out the flaws that Shogun 2 has in comparison the older games in the series, so please bear with me, I'm not just here to whine and go all nostalgia about the first Shogun, there are actually important distinctions to be observed.

Anyways, let's get into the thick of things.

One thing that the entire total war series lost from the first Shogun game up till now is the IMPORTANCE OF TERRAIN. You occasionally see a few hills in Rome, fight 80% of the time on plains in Medieval 2 and in Shogun 2 there is a return of frequent elevation but its effect is very reduced. Hills and mountains no longer offer the gigantic advantage they offered in the first Shogun, where a single archer unit could defeat a yari ashigaru unit before they even reached the archer unit. In some cases, it could even defeat two, but only if it had elevation on its side. This is no longer so in Shogun 2, where elevation does confer some bonuses but altogether not game changing. Furthermore forests no longer offer protection from arrows which, again, reduces the importance of terrain. What does this mean in the grand scheme of things? That you lessen the importance of a strategic factor and thus reduce overall amount of strategy that you can use. Literally now the only thing that matters is countering their units a rock-paper-scissors (except some units count as both rock and paper) fashion and surrounding their army. While there is still a hefty amount of strategy involved in fights, I can't help but weep while I witness the diminishing of terrain importance while almost nobody even notices it.

On towards the campaign map. The problem with how economy is implemented in Shogun 2 is how it forces you to move slowly and build up your economy. Why is this a bad thing? Because it's boring. Literally the only thing you do is click on a farm, market, sake den or mine to be build, then you WAIT a few turns so that you actually have the necessary income to support your army. You cannot individually tax cities so you cannot gain additional income from happy cities who will not rebel when high taxes are imposed. This is in contrast to Rome where building your economy was a much quicker deal and taxes could be set individually. The other problem that impedes rapid conquest is that almost every city you conquer will be very aggressive towards you which effectively means that you have to keep your army there and WAIT. I'm not really that impatient, but this is an unnecessary wait time imposed on the player out of a bad game design choice. What did Shogun 2 again lose in comparison to Rome? The capacity to pacify the population by slaughtering a large portion of it. This was an effective gameplay mechanism to allow players who want to go for fast conquest to be able to do it while still imposing a punishment on it. Your cities would have very reduced income after the slaughter but they would not rebel for a long while. This was an excellent trade-off that no longer exists. Another part where you have to WAAAAIT is an upcoming realm divide. At a certain point the shogun will order all existing clans to destroy you and all of them will obey even if some are at war with the shogun and actually hate him. This is simply how the thing is programmed. If you attract the ire of the shogun by expanding too early and becoming famous enough before being able to take on the entirety of Japan, you WILL die. What is the problem with this mechanic? The problem is that it forces you, again, to WAIT until you have sufficient forces and economy. So you clicking on buildings and units and pressing the next turn. I hope you can see a pattern here so that I can stop putting wait in caps lock like an **** Overall trend with the Shogun 2 campaign map is having a lot less options than you had in Rome.

The A.I. on the campaign map is also worse than in Shogun 1, if you believe me. It's not that it's in any way dumber, it isn't. The problem is that many times the A.I. plays as if its only purpose is to be a roadblock for the player. They will often attack your faction even though they have zero chance of winning the war and zero chance of escaping your faction's wrath. But they will still do it if they can hurt you in anyway even it results in the total destruction of their clan. This ends up as a very frustrating experience for the player.
  56. Mar 20, 2011
    Great game, Great visuals. AI is a lot smarter than previous Total War games. Overall i give this a 10 for game play, strategy, and for the fact that it is historically correct (Unit and building wise, also the clan names).And i love how General speeches before battle are back again! Its fun, and will keep you up for hours! I kept saying to myself at 4am (One more turn then bed) 5am, (OneGreat game, Great visuals. AI is a lot smarter than previous Total War games. Overall i give this a 10 for game play, strategy, and for the fact that it is historically correct (Unit and building wise, also the clan names).And i love how General speeches before battle are back again! Its fun, and will keep you up for hours! I kept saying to myself at 4am (One more turn then bed) 5am, (One more turn then bed) 6am, (One more turn then bed). Here it is now 8am and i just stopped playing because my eyes are square and my nose is bleeding a little (Joking about the nose bleed! Thought it might give the review a more of a hard core gamer believability, LoL). Anyway, Enjoy this game its worth every dollar. Once again Creative Assembly do the PC Gaming community a Great deed and release another fantastic title that will have you hooked until the next one is released. Expand
  57. Dec 8, 2011
    Poor battle ai. They just mindlessly swarm you or hill camp. Also the AI just loves to chase your light cav with their yari inf. As a result fought out battles turn into a disgusting micro work. No tactics, no strategy, no soul. After a couple of turns miraculously all AI units wander around with 4-5 exp chevrons. The campaign AI is only there to keep you busy with no strategic personalPoor battle ai. They just mindlessly swarm you or hill camp. Also the AI just loves to chase your light cav with their yari inf. As a result fought out battles turn into a disgusting micro work. No tactics, no strategy, no soul. After a couple of turns miraculously all AI units wander around with 4-5 exp chevrons. The campaign AI is only there to keep you busy with no strategic personal goals. It's just a product of the fear by the devs that the game would possibly be too easy and pose no "challenge". Expand
  58. Mar 25, 2011
    According to tradition in the modern gaming industry, the game went unfinished. Global work on multiplayer, interesting game mechanics, great atmosphere, almost historical accuracy and bugs, bugs, bugs, which, however, do not interfere with enjoyment of the gameplay.

and yes, the game is a little loose powder! Personally, I'm a horror as happy.
  59. Mar 24, 2011
    Simply cannot give this game anything lower than a 10. My first attempt to play a 'Total War' game seriously, and utterly superb in every aspect. Beautifully presented, it has an addictive campaign map with a plethora of building, research and advancement options, and a battlefield system which appeals to the tactical/historical purists and the casual gamers alike. Each campaign you playSimply cannot give this game anything lower than a 10. My first attempt to play a 'Total War' game seriously, and utterly superb in every aspect. Beautifully presented, it has an addictive campaign map with a plethora of building, research and advancement options, and a battlefield system which appeals to the tactical/historical purists and the casual gamers alike. Each campaign you play develops stories that feel personal to your clan, generals develop their own traits and personalities, and the game constantly throws engaging challenges and diplomatic intrigue your way. Just. One. More. Turn. Expand
  60. Mar 17, 2011
    Total War has with it's newest installment made a fantastic game. They have listened to users of previous Total War games and created a beautiful mix between historical fact and in-game balance. The game AI is now more intelligent than ever both in the campaign and in the beautiful battles, which it surely lacked in battles in previous games. The difficulty settings are a lot more accurateTotal War has with it's newest installment made a fantastic game. They have listened to users of previous Total War games and created a beautiful mix between historical fact and in-game balance. The game AI is now more intelligent than ever both in the campaign and in the beautiful battles, which it surely lacked in battles in previous games. The difficulty settings are a lot more accurate now, making very hard - very hard!

My sole complain about the game is the different types of armies. The armies of the different clans are almost similar (containing the same units and skins) except the stats of the individual units, which creates a somewhat boring game in length. These units are however so fantastically made in both animation and model and the individual fights between the units look so real and unique.
    I do however suspect the release of DLC containing both new units and individual units for each faction.

One other problem with the game is that it needs patching and they should have waited a few weeks more before releasing. There are problems for people with starting up the game, errors in the game and the multiplayer is not working very well at the moment. It also lacks Direct X11 at the moment (along with AA).

This is a great game with the best gameplay and most beautiful battles made so far in the Total War series. If you have played one of the previous Total War games or loves strategy games either real time or turn-based (or both), then you should definitely try this one out.

Rating at the release of the game it should only receive 9/10, but as I expect it will be patched thoroughly, I rate it max.

I find that the game needs Steam to run is the best solution to anti-piracy and I do not think it is a problem as most people use Steam now a days.
    Also, to all you people who comment (and therefore rate the game) before trying it out - could you please wait until you have tried the game, otherwise you CANNOT rate the game and also you look like idiots!
  61. Mar 17, 2011
    I have always enjoyed the Total War series, since the first time I tried Rome: Total War. The series has had some questionable expansions but all and all it have been a great RTS serie. But when I played Empire: Total War, I somehow got disappointed. It was no longer about Infantry vs. archers vs. cavalry, which always have been the simple core of the games. instead you had only infantryI have always enjoyed the Total War series, since the first time I tried Rome: Total War. The series has had some questionable expansions but all and all it have been a great RTS serie. But when I played Empire: Total War, I somehow got disappointed. It was no longer about Infantry vs. archers vs. cavalry, which always have been the simple core of the games. instead you had only infantry and some bad cavalry. The Map was to big and there where no "easy" factions.

With Shogun 2 the Creativ Assembly have taken a step back and is no more focused about the all way of gameplay. Shogun 2 is a great game... the gameplay is simple, the looks are nice and the game just works. Everything is understandable and makes sense. the only thing that pulls this game down is the sometime stupid AI and the errors in multiplayer.

I recommend this game for everybody who's interested in RTS's.
  62. Mar 17, 2011
    An excellent game. Have played most of the previous total war games, however Empire and Napoleon where not to liking game mechanics wise - this game is more a kin to the earlier total war installments. Particular highlight of this game would include the multiplayer experience as this is pretty well thought out. I honestly can't fault much, if anything, with this game.
  63. Apr 28, 2011
    A brilliant game. Innovative. Always leaving us stunned.
    2 Shogun: Total War deserves a standing ovation on its graphics, gameplay, technical capacity and playable and interesting itinerary grudante. But not yet overcome the almost perfect game from Blizzard. The interesting game: 9 / 10
  64. Mar 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After playing about three hours I can say with certainty that this is the best game in the series, and I began to play more with the first Shogun, Shogun 2 is a masterpiece, here everything is so elaborated in detail that one can only take my hat off to the development team, and I played all the games in series and am not particularly fond of Japan, though I respect them a great culture, the era of Rome, one of the favorite but Shogun 2 is so epic that is done I'm sure you'll be impressed with how the game is made with love. Maybe the game is not so much for everything, and nearly to the story (although I may be wrong), but once you get addicted to the game you forget about it, this game is a very good way to get acquainted with the culture of Japan, part of which remained in modern Japan I have always respected them for their spirit, and I am sure that out of this tragedy they leave as soon as possible with minimal losses. Expand
  65. Mar 26, 2011
    Beautiful and well optimized, Smart, opportunist AIs (well most of the time, even on the easiest difficulty), This is the most enjoyable, that require critical thinking the most to date for me. achievement related unlockables for MP mode adds purpose to playing for achievements with many games lack of, Unit are balance: Full of rock paper scissors mechanisms. Not too casual nor tooBeautiful and well optimized, Smart, opportunist AIs (well most of the time, even on the easiest difficulty), This is the most enjoyable, that require critical thinking the most to date for me. achievement related unlockables for MP mode adds purpose to playing for achievements with many games lack of, Unit are balance: Full of rock paper scissors mechanisms. Not too casual nor too complex, loads of replay valve for SP, SP is more than enough but they also even complement us with decent MP too, little bit of everything with all goodness in it, I am going to enjoy this for long long time, I'm sure you will too. Expand
  66. Mar 16, 2011
    Wow, this game drips quality and playing is a pure pleasure. Improved battle AI means battles stay exciting and dramatic. I think the mis-steps of Empire have pushed this game to be the great accomplishment that it is.
  67. Mar 18, 2011
    Total War: Shogun 2 improves upon everything which was good before, as well as significantly improving some things which let previous Total Wars down, such as dumb AI. They have gone into amazing detail in regards to the history and encylopedia, much more than is necessary, which is not a bad thing.
  68. Mar 20, 2011
    Multi-player is not working or/and it's quite complicated. I cannot give a perfect 10 like others do, indeed it is a solid game but after playing a couple clans the game feels like routine to me. Campaign scenarios aren't as thrilling as I expected, had the feeling of seeing the same things over and over again.
  69. Apr 4, 2011
    This is the best Total War game since the old MTW game. The difficulty levels are finally what they should be and the game is finally challenging again. It's not the prettiest of the series (still waiting on that DX11 update) but it by far is the best right now in gameplay and fun. I've ranted about the TW series from RTW forward because the game has felt like playing a romper room game.This is the best Total War game since the old MTW game. The difficulty levels are finally what they should be and the game is finally challenging again. It's not the prettiest of the series (still waiting on that DX11 update) but it by far is the best right now in gameplay and fun. I've ranted about the TW series from RTW forward because the game has felt like playing a romper room game. This one I've stayed up way into the night playing as time just flies by I'm having so much fun. If you've been on the fence get off of it and get out there and get this. I think GoGamer.com has it for $33 and some change or did. Don't listen to the panty waist little rts boys who can't stand a game that beats them. :) Expand
  70. Dec 11, 2011
    I originally rated this at 9/10, but that was before I started to play online semi-seriously. Everything now revolves around spam, or some loop hole. It's basically a revolving door of spam.
    Naginata Monks
    Cavalry Matchlocks Vet Loan Swords Naginata Samurai Naginata Monks + Naginata Monk Cavalry currently I have not the slightest clue what's the "new" spam also that 1/6 players black out
    Naginata Monks
    Cavalry
    Matchlocks
    Vet Loan Swords
    Naginata Samurai
    Naginata Monks + Naginata Monk Cavalry
    currently I have not the slightest clue what's the "new" spam

also that 1/6 players black out their banner, and rename all of their units to another weaker unit

As for the campaign well it's still pretty mediocre for the same reasons as before. The new DLC campaign though is pretty fun itself.
  71. Mar 15, 2011
    A Truly Outstanding performance indeed, out of all the latest Total War games, Empire, and Napoleon, I think that Shogun 2 gives more strategic options as it have a fair options of unit type. While in Napoleon and Empire most players think that those who fire first will have the advantage, especially in multiplayer, where both players maybe thinking the same thing and this could causeA Truly Outstanding performance indeed, out of all the latest Total War games, Empire, and Napoleon, I think that Shogun 2 gives more strategic options as it have a fair options of unit type. While in Napoleon and Empire most players think that those who fire first will have the advantage, especially in multiplayer, where both players maybe thinking the same thing and this could cause boredome to the entire game. I especially love the new feature where the agent Ninja and some other could enter the battlefield and provide support, but also more siege battles and the idea of using bamboos as the raw materials for the boats. Great Work Creative Assembly! Keep it up! Expand
  72. Mar 22, 2011
    This is the best Total Game in the series. BEst AI, Very polished. Amazing Multiplayer. This is how all other games should benchmark themselves. There are however some problems though. Some bugs which should be smoothed out with the inevitable patches. Sieges has the AI go to Sleep if you use certain tactics. (However, I must stress that CA has never really gotten the handle on sieges.This is the best Total Game in the series. BEst AI, Very polished. Amazing Multiplayer. This is how all other games should benchmark themselves. There are however some problems though. Some bugs which should be smoothed out with the inevitable patches. Sieges has the AI go to Sleep if you use certain tactics. (However, I must stress that CA has never really gotten the handle on sieges. Shogun 2 is heading the reight direction. There are some graphical problems, which seems to be mostly centered around the latest video cards. Slightly older top line cards provide a rock steady platform.

Played the Takeda at Normal, it provided a very very satisfying experience and most of all very fun. This is one game that I will be playing for a long time.
  73. Mar 22, 2011
    After the somewhat disapointing Empire and Napoleon games this is almost exactly what I had hoped for. Everything seems more polished than in the former games. I especially like the new interface look as well as the strategic map. Management of your clan and army is a lot more comfortable. The graphics are very good as expected. My biggest gripe with the predecessors was the battle AIAfter the somewhat disapointing Empire and Napoleon games this is almost exactly what I had hoped for. Everything seems more polished than in the former games. I especially like the new interface look as well as the strategic map. Management of your clan and army is a lot more comfortable. The graphics are very good as expected. My biggest gripe with the predecessors was the battle AI which seems to have improved quite a bit, but unfortunately is still lacking and sometimes acts very strangely. Still this game can definitely be recommended for anybody interested in strategy. Expand
  74. Jul 30, 2011
    Except for a couple of AI bugs this is probably the best strategy game you can get on PC right at this moment. some may complain that it doesnt have as much scope and variety of old total war games but I find that the more concentrated scope has allowed for more polish and its FAR easier to learn and enjoy the game.
    Graphics are great if your PC has the grunt. AI is good and would be
    Graphics are great if your PC has the grunt. AI is good and would be great with a couple of tweaks (still waiting on that patch Sega!). Sound is OK, a bit more variety would be nice.
  75. gas
    Mar 22, 2011
    This title is without any doubt the best total war release of all time, the brand was loosing a lot of appealing with the last 2 releases, empires and napoleon, which are still plagued by several bugs and a limited by a crap engine/optimization.
    In this little review i talk about single player game, multiplayer is supported and seems implemented in a very nice manner, but im not personally interested in it while playing tactical/strategy games so im not touching this aspect here.
    The only 2 words i spend on mp is the fact i have the opinion other rts, starcraft2 in primis offer a lot more depth in strategy cause they are made for multiplayer single battles as idea, so this title cant compete specifically on it.
    Shogun 2 graphically speaking does not support yet DX11 and AA, wich is a bit annoying, but the game is really nice to see both scenarios and units are great, also the engine finally is a good one so the result is a very smooth experience, with a lot of work on little details.
    About the gameplay, the tactical campaing is very interesting, and similar to rome/medieval2, even if improved with an rpg-style level up of your generals and units which is a nice touch, now you can choose were to spend "points" to improve your generals and special units and traits are no more random (even if specific events may trigger modificators to traits or even brand new traits that you cannot choose directly).
    At start you choose a faction with specific traits that are fixed, but during the turns you will have points to spend into 2 different trees to improve combat and economic side of your empire.
    A single game ends before reaching all the upgrades available so you have to carefully plan where you wanna excel or what to priorise using those points.
    The rts battles are very tactical and very involving, you need to choose carefully how to approach the enemy, and adapt to the units you are countering to be victorious, also the terrain can and shoul be used to gain advantage like hiding troops in the vegetation, charging from a hill etc.
    The AI even at easy level is not stupid on the battlefield and tends usually to have an "intelligent" approach, also the different factions may react in a proper manner related to their aggressivness, which you can see in the detailed in the "trade panel", so some may prefer a frontal charge while other factions may prefer to defend etc, also every faction tend to prefer specific units over others, so the battles can last long and can be quite different which is a must for a game like this.
    Talking about the audio, music and effects are are defo hi standard, not so various, but sure they dont lack in quality.
    The game is very stable, the engine moves very smooth on my pc that is sure not new (intel dual duo 3.2 + ATI 5770), i had a couple of crashes on 80 hours playtime wich is defo good, expecially compared to the old total war wich sure did not excel in game stability.
    Luckily it never happened so far the "last turn bug" that afflicted all the previous releases , and was the worst issue of all the Total war franchise imho.
    At the end this game is one of the best mixed tactical turn based/rts game around, so anyone interested in the genre will be pleased sure with this game.
    There are some minor issues that dont affect much the game but still they should be fixed, like units retreating from the battlefiled are no more "flagged" so to intercept them you need to manually find them on the field wich is quite annoying, and a non perfect pathfinding when moving into castles, even if 100 times better then previous total war titles.
    Also when defending into castles you need to babysit a lot units, especially archers to be sure they are looking where is logic and expected to.
    What i personally consider a great miss in a game like this is the total lack in customization, cant get why the total war franchise always forget / dont consider it a must.
    You can start a campaign with only premade factions, starting always in the same zone with fixed traits and background, and the victory conditions can be only 3 and the difference is only the number of zones to conquer.
    I can understand the historical work on this but from a title like this i expect more and various victory conditions, randomizable starting zones/traits, customizable factions, and maybe a map editor.
    Also the game difficulty cant be applied to specific factions and you cant choose a different number of opponents then the preset.
    Also another minor issue in my opinion is the fact if you choose the long campaign, when you are half way with around 30/60 zones conquered, going on is too easy and near the end the game really lack of interest, so basically going for the 45 zones condition or to the 60 changes nothing in terms of gameplay.
    So i give an 8, great game, best in the serie, but still lacks in customization that should be a must for a geek of those tactical/strategic games.
  76. Mar 16, 2011
    This is a great new installment to the total war franchise. They have successfully combined all their efforts into a completely enjoyable game. Great graphics (even better when the DX 11 patch comes out), a terrific artistic style. Tone of good voice overs, although the adviser gets real annoying real fast, I had to turn it off.
    I can only give the game a 9 though, because some of the
    I can only give the game a 9 though, because some of the same old TW quirks are still there, and I was hoping that in a game that is mostly just a cosmetic makeover, some of the engine would get tweaked. I wont go into detail, but if you are a hardcore TW gamer you know the annoyances I refer to. Still an awesome game and well worth it.
  77. Mar 17, 2011
    Beautiful game. I never played any of the total war games, I wanted too just never got the time. Now out comes a shiny new one and I couldn't resist. It is so immersible and beautiful. A few glitches here and there but the team have already sent out a patch for the PC, in 2 days? Bravo.
    I recommend indeed. The attention to detail is very nice and treats the material with respect. The battles are intense, I found myself biting my nails in the hope my plan of attack would work in some cases :)
  78. Mar 16, 2011
    New Features such as agent/ninja cutscene. High graphics. runs smoothly on intel CORE. no bugs. the units speaks japanese. the sound changes during battles which is awesome!!
  79. Mar 17, 2011
    I've been on the line on the Total War series for a few years. After playing the demo for Napoelon, i wasnt convinced. When the first videos of Shogun 2 were shown I was very interested. I was born in Japan and always enjoyed it's history and culture so the location was a plus. Then the demo came out, and because of the demo I bought the game. The graphics, combat, scenery, environment,I've been on the line on the Total War series for a few years. After playing the demo for Napoelon, i wasnt convinced. When the first videos of Shogun 2 were shown I was very interested. I was born in Japan and always enjoyed it's history and culture so the location was a plus. Then the demo came out, and because of the demo I bought the game. The graphics, combat, scenery, environment, music, voices, everything is just perfect for this game. Unlike other RTS games that are purely based on hotkey memorization and clicking faster than your enemy, this game requires THINKING faster and smarter and clicking faster doesn't mean anywhere near as much. The co-op campaign is also great fun if you have someone that will take the time to play with you. The only problem I've had with the game is purely my own, the enemy is too smart for me at my current skill level-and that's a good thing. Expand
  80. Apr 7, 2011
    A stunning gaming achievement. The depth! the depth of it! I salute you for making this. You all deserve to be millionaires. I land an army via sea - in the centre of Japan, I make alliances with Date in the East and together we destroy central and western Japan - then realm divide! No need to worry, my ally has got my back and I have just taken the Shogunate. GENIUS!
  81. Mar 22, 2011
    I've been following the Total War series since TW: Rome. I have to say Shogun 2 is probably the best TW series of the bunch. Playing on Normal, individual battles are generally not a challenge for the experienced player (most battles end with a heroic victory) but still, you can tell that the battlefield AI is much improved over previous releases. The campaign AI is a lot better too.
  82. Mar 20, 2011
    I can't seem to put this game down, I already have 30 hours played and the game came out a just over 4 days ago. Sure there are some day-of-release bugs, but do you expect? It's sad that this has become a norm but: every game has them, I won't knock off points for that. The graphics are stunning, and the music is phenomenal, but the game truly shines in the game play aspect, the co-opI can't seem to put this game down, I already have 30 hours played and the game came out a just over 4 days ago. Sure there are some day-of-release bugs, but do you expect? It's sad that this has become a norm but: every game has them, I won't knock off points for that. The graphics are stunning, and the music is phenomenal, but the game truly shines in the game play aspect, the co-op campaign's only flaw is that I can't have a 3 month long 8 player campaign with my friends. To everyone complaining about the bugs, I'm sure The Creative Assembly won't pull a Treyarch on this one, every game has bugs, don't give it a 0/10 because of something that can easily be fixed. It's only been 4 days for crying out loud. Expand
  83. Mar 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Love that game! In comparison to its predecessors it's so much more realistic and the gameplay a lot more exciting. Spent a good couple of hours in anterooms playing that game! Expand
  84. Mar 25, 2011
    I must say that I gave Empire a horrible review due to the numerous bugs and loss of support. The release day Shogun 2 is in better shape than Empire was left in. I have only seen minor, non-game breaking bugs after about 40 hrs of play. The Creative Assembly have released a fairly polished game, that should only get better in time.
  85. May 20, 2011
    Love this game. I have over 100 hours played now (in single player). Call me crazy if you will, but there's something about games like this that are addicting to me.

Now I just wish they'd start up the Warhammer Dark Omen series again (completely different setting, but the feel of the combat is somewhat similar). Total War Fantasy game, that would rock.
  86. Tig
    Mar 30, 2011
    Shogun 2 is the best RTS/TB game ever made. It's polished, beautiful, fun and has very good value for a buck ratio. I could have easily given it 10/10 but game has one big flaw. My PC has 3gb of RAM and there's one more gb on my video card. Still it takes no less than 50s to load main menu, then another 20-30s to load campaign map, 30s-1min to enter battle and 30s to leave it. Also youShogun 2 is the best RTS/TB game ever made. It's polished, beautiful, fun and has very good value for a buck ratio. I could have easily given it 10/10 but game has one big flaw. My PC has 3gb of RAM and there's one more gb on my video card. Still it takes no less than 50s to load main menu, then another 20-30s to load campaign map, 30s-1min to enter battle and 30s to leave it. Also you have to wait good 15-20s every turn till AI opponents finish their moves. All of this adds up and game becomes a huge waste of time that is unless you bring a book and read it while game is loading something. I know, Empire was slow on this too, but not as much. I know that this problem could be solved by adding extra 4gbs of RAM but I can't afford system like that atm. Other than long loading times, game runs smooth, way better than Empire. Steady fps on the campaign and battle maps and all of this with improved graphics. So yeah its not 10/10 from me but it deserves strong 9/10. Expand
  87. Jun 13, 2011
    I was a huge fan of the first, and the other titles that followed. This is improved nicely, the AI is vastly improved, the economy is a little more advanced. It's not as easy to gain generals, I actually have to work at it. Don't forget to get married so that your character has heirs.. I sure hope that they remake Rome TW.
  88. Apr 2, 2011
    Finally some melee combat. I've had enough of gunpowder and muskets. In my opinion ancient warfare is what makes Total War so great. Cavalry, infantry, siege weapons, swords, shields etc.. This game is as good as Rome or M2TW but like all Total War titles it has lots of game breaker bugs in it and no antialising, no DX11 whatsoever. I hope CA releases good patches and addresses all the bugs.
  89. Mar 29, 2011
    Superbe ! L'immersion est garantie, le jeu est très prenant. Je regrette que cette qualité ne se retrouve pas dans ETW où la carte est bien plus intéressante. Pas de bugs, et avec les mods (darth...) ça va faire très mal.
  90. Apr 2, 2011
    In my opinion, this is the best Total War game yet; this is coming from someone that has played every single TW game. The worst problem of the previous games, the AI, has been improved substantially. On the battle map, you will sometimes find yourself surprised by the tactics used by the opposition. When defending, the AI will go for the most favourable ground (most of the time) and waitIn my opinion, this is the best Total War game yet; this is coming from someone that has played every single TW game. The worst problem of the previous games, the AI, has been improved substantially. On the battle map, you will sometimes find yourself surprised by the tactics used by the opposition. When defending, the AI will go for the most favourable ground (most of the time) and wait for your forces to attack. If you inflict too many casualties on them using arrows, the AI will choose to charge your position instead of being slowly slaughtered. However, the AI is still not perfect, especially in sieges. There was one battle where the AI meandered around my walls and was slaughtered by arrows instead of actually trying to assault my fortress. However, this kind of occurrence does not happen often. On the larger scale campaign map, the AI has also been improved. In previous Total War games, the enemy factions would often send armies of a few units at you instead of consolidating their forces. This increased the number of battles, but the AI was always outnumbered and easily defeated. This problem has been eliminated. This time around, the AI will gather more forces before attacking. This means fewer, but more decisive battles that are more exciting due to the high number of units involved. The AI is also more likely to land invasion forces on islands. I did encounter some problems though. Through most of my second campaign, most of the factions would not trade with me even though my clan was in good standing with them. New players to the series may have a hard time, as this game is much more difficult than previous instalments. This is especially true once you reach the middle of a campaign. Once your clan has conquered a large amount of provinces and reaches "Legendary" status, Realm Divide is triggered. This game mechanic basically unites every indifferent, unfriendly, or hostile clan against you within a few turns. This would be ok if your allies stuck by your side, but they will eventually turn against you too if victory is not obtained quickly. I recommend that a new player should start off on easy, while a veteran should begin on medium difficulty.

As for the graphics, they are absolutely gorgeous. The landscapes have more variety, more detailed textures, and are more believable. There was one battle where I encountered a few deer that quickly scattered once my army approached them. The animations have also been improved substantially. I find myself watching replays of battles simply so I can watch duels between individual Samurai. One thing that I should mention is that the game currently does not support anti aliasing or DirectX 11. The lack of DirectX 11 isn't too big of a deal to me, but I think that launching the game without a basic feature such as AA is ridiculous. In a game that takes place on such a grand scale where you see armies of thousands confronting each other, it takes away from the experience when your soldiers are made up of jagged pixels when viewing them from far away. Creative Assembly has promised that a patch should be released within the next two weeks or so that addresses this issue, so hopefully this will not be an issue for much longer.
  91. Apr 7, 2011
    i'm still hopefull there will be a World TotalWar but a huge 10 from me, brilliant game. i've played every TW since it came out and love the new easy access of the features.
  92. MJR
    Apr 27, 2011
    I LOVE this game to death! It really is the refinement of the total war series. Everything makes a lot more sense than Empire and the map is way more manageable. The battles require a lot more strategy than ever before because of the units ant the terrain. The units are completely the same across all factions, except for units in which the faction has an advantage with, meaning all armiesI LOVE this game to death! It really is the refinement of the total war series. Everything makes a lot more sense than Empire and the map is way more manageable. The battles require a lot more strategy than ever before because of the units ant the terrain. The units are completely the same across all factions, except for units in which the faction has an advantage with, meaning all armies have access to the same units you do but, for example, the Shimazu have better Katana Samurai and the Chosokabe have better Bow Samurai. And don't worry there are enough units to keep the game from getting stale. Everything from economics to the arts your faction can develop down the path of bushido or chi or both make a lot of sense. It is far less overwhelming and way more manageable so much so I would say any newcomer to the series could easily pick up, although mastering it will take longer. One of the new features I think is great is that you have to be much more specific in which buildings you make in you cities and even better is how each region has something different to add when you take it over. Some have horses, some ninja, others lumber or quarries, each of which are necessary for making new things like bigger fortresses, cheaper boats or stronger cavalry. The game just feels like everything they've done up to this has been perfected. Except multiplayer apparently. I don't really play multiplayer so it doesn't affect me but if that's what you're interested in then you may want to make your own research into that. Anyway for me this game is a 10/10. Gorgeous. Expand
  93. Apr 14, 2011
    A great comeback to the original Total War games! The music has Jeff Van Dyck back which is great since, he's music always made up a good Total War game very enjoyable and emotional. The battles are stunning to look at, the multiplayer just gets better, and the singleplayer campaign will get you sucked in for a very, very long time! It is definitely worth your money, Creative Assembly hasA great comeback to the original Total War games! The music has Jeff Van Dyck back which is great since, he's music always made up a good Total War game very enjoyable and emotional. The battles are stunning to look at, the multiplayer just gets better, and the singleplayer campaign will get you sucked in for a very, very long time! It is definitely worth your money, Creative Assembly has done a fantastic job on this game! We can only hope for them to continue their work forth. Expand
  94. May 9, 2011
    As her journey for the ultimate revenge continues, Beatrix Kiddo is left with three people on her quest to kill; her ex-lover/boss Bill and his two remaining associates; his brother Budd and Billâ
  95. May 14, 2011
    Great game.... Thank you CA for an awesome game graphics are superb, gameplay is very awesome, what more can you ask for? if you like the total war series then dont even hesitate to buy this game.
  96. May 17, 2011
    Shogun 2 is the best Total War game i have ever played. The Atmosphere in this game is absolutely amazing. With Improved AI, i can play it for hours nonstop. I urge you to try it out if you were let down by the Empire Total War, you wont be disappointed.
  97. May 21, 2011
    The Total war series was once a favourite of mine. Until Empire i was enamoured with every offering from Creative Assembly. Shogun 2 is an attempt to bring the series back to its routes by making it simpler and suppoedly requiring more tactics. The graphics and atmosphere are the best in the series. They have done their research well when it comes to Feudal Japan. The game cannot beThe Total war series was once a favourite of mine. Until Empire i was enamoured with every offering from Creative Assembly. Shogun 2 is an attempt to bring the series back to its routes by making it simpler and suppoedly requiring more tactics. The graphics and atmosphere are the best in the series. They have done their research well when it comes to Feudal Japan. The game cannot be faulted for its artwork or the 3d models. But my high praise for the game ends there. Its just too simple. Every faction has exactly the same units and so once you have played as one faction, its hard to find a reason to play another, the only difference is one of your units being slightly stronger or you gain food quicker. There arent enough territorries and due to the natural shape of Japan, you almost always have few enemies attacking from only a couple of fronts. The research tree is nice but doesnt really revolutionise the way you grow your nation. All in all its better than the previous two games, but its still not anywhere near as good as the games before that. A nice try, but not quite there. Expand
  98. Mar 18, 2011
    GOTY 2011 for strategy of the year 2011. Advanced land and naval battles. Markedly better AI on a map and on battlefield. Good avatar and inovative multiplayer. 10/10!
  99. Mar 19, 2011
    I'm going to keep this simple because no one would read this long review when there are a ton of people who are basically saying the same thing I would say. Amazing, amazing game, and the best time for people who aren't fans of the series to give it another look. Graphics = top notch, the best in any RTS/Turn based strategy. Gameplay = A very addictive experience. Really makes me feel likeI'm going to keep this simple because no one would read this long review when there are a ton of people who are basically saying the same thing I would say. Amazing, amazing game, and the best time for people who aren't fans of the series to give it another look. Graphics = top notch, the best in any RTS/Turn based strategy. Gameplay = A very addictive experience. Really makes me feel like I'm commanding my troops in battle or leading my clan to victory on the campaign map. Sounds = Hey, if you like Japanese themed sound and music then this game has the best. If not, then one of the beauties if this game might be truly lost on you. Multiplayer = I can honestly say I haven't even tried it out. For a $50 release, I am happy with it not having any multiplayer what so over. This game has everything, as far as multiplayer goes it's just an added bonus. I heard mixed things about it anyway, so my only advice is that you check it out for everything else first and then see if you'd really like to get trounced in multiplayer before you go that route ;) All that being said, amazing amazing game... one of my favorites, and I'm going to be hooked on this for a long time I think. Awesome job CA! You guys rock! 11/10 if I could ;) Expand
  100. Mar 16, 2011
    I haven't spent a massive amount of time on the game yet, but from my first six hours of campaign play this is a much much better game than the other two recent iterations of the Total war series. It manages to achieve what everyone loved so much in Rome and Medieval, while still bringing in the new features that Empire and Napoleon brought without making them into a complete pile of crap.I haven't spent a massive amount of time on the game yet, but from my first six hours of campaign play this is a much much better game than the other two recent iterations of the Total war series. It manages to achieve what everyone loved so much in Rome and Medieval, while still bringing in the new features that Empire and Napoleon brought without making them into a complete pile of crap. Having been one of the many disappointed and disillusioned CA fans after those last two games it came as a massively pleasant surprise. What I will say is from first day experience, is that finding a game using the current multi player interface can be quite hard and slow, this will no doubt change though. One last thing if your really obsessed with playing in DX 10 and 11, and it must be said with the anti aliasing that these features allow, then i would wait till the first patch to get this, as their currently unavailable in game. Expand

1. Jul 14, 2011
    There is a je ne sais quoi elegance on how the game is presented and how well put together the game as an entire corpus is. Although it's still mired by some version 1.0 bugs, Shogun is highly playable and deserves a place on any Total War fan's hard drive.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    May 22, 2011
    Beautiful, complex and varied historical strategy which offers hours of fun in single player and multiplayer modes. [Issue#203]
    The mix of turn based strategy (with economical, political and diplomatic ramifications) and real time battles is still wonderful, but the need to balance timing and aggression is more important than ever. Aggressive players will feel a little cheated, while diplomats will hate Realm Divide stage. Still, Total War was always about realism and the AI's scripted actions make logical and historical sense.