Total War: Shogun 2 PC

• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Mar 15, 2011
8.3

1. Sep 14, 2015
    Disappointing. Medieval2 was OK, but since then Total War has become mediocre. The graphics may have improved, but all the flaws of the previous games (bad and cheating AI, useless diplomacy, unfair battle auto-resolve, confused units that ignore orders or get stuck, and other unreliable mechanics etc...) are still bad in Shogun2, and now it takes forever to load. Age old problems likeDisappointing. Medieval2 was OK, but since then Total War has become mediocre. The graphics may have improved, but all the flaws of the previous games (bad and cheating AI, useless diplomacy, unfair battle auto-resolve, confused units that ignore orders or get stuck, and other unreliable mechanics etc...) are still bad in Shogun2, and now it takes forever to load. Age old problems like gunpowder troops randomly failing to shoot at enemies that are charging towards them even after they have had ages to line up are still here. Naval combat is broken - try to board an enemy ship, and half of the time, soldiers will get permanently stuck due to an AI path finding failure. All the factions look and feel the same. There is also an over emphasis on expensive DLC that should have been in the base game. And where did hotseat multiplayer go?! They removed it because it allowed 2 people to have fun without paying for two copies. DarthMod helps, but not enough to make it enjoyable. Expand
  2. Aug 2, 2015
    Unlike other Total War games this one is really well polished. Combat is fun and balanced, the campaign AI is reasonable (until...) but that's it with the positive aspects of the game.

Once you hit a certain amount of territories the entire map declares war on you (no matter what good relationships you had with them before) and by that time you need to have a bunch of armies with which you mow down your enemies from one end of the map to the other, that's the only way you can win at this game.

The lack of turns also forces you to go fast with your conquering, otherwise you run out of time. So it really dumbs down to: Build armies, beat the crap out of everyone else.
    There's no other approach to the game through which you can become Shogun which makes it a slightly dull experience.
  3. Jul 7, 2015
    Amazing detail in everything that happens on the battlefield. The game is paced a little too realistically though. Just when my lords are getting really great they get too old to fight and need to be replaced. In fact the real annoyance with this game is it follows the historical timeline too closely. The combat is solid and strategies usually pan out if you plan them well.
  4. Jul 2, 2015
    This game is great in many aspects: Great graphics, I love this japanes setting, the gameplay is complex and with a strategic and tactical part very interesting. There are a lot of mods that improves the game even more. Especially the KI is better and shows great job on the battle with good maneuvers and only small mistakes (more on the easy level, that you should leave very early ;).This game is great in many aspects: Great graphics, I love this japanes setting, the gameplay is complex and with a strategic and tactical part very interesting. There are a lot of mods that improves the game even more. Especially the KI is better and shows great job on the battle with good maneuvers and only small mistakes (more on the easy level, that you should leave very early ;).
    There are some problems ingame: Realm Divide: When you have a lot of power and your victory is not so far away every KI is starting to be hostile to you and almost all of KI Clan declare war on you (even your allies). In the reality you would have no chance, but this mechanic is only designed to have only an artificial challenge -.- , so the whole Japan will not attack you at once. Is is realistic, is it fun? No. Fortunately there are mods, that changes this. Another mere little problem is the KI on the campaign part, that shows illogical moves and the same in the diplomatic system. Why on earth do my most powerful clan pay tribute to very weak clans to get a trade treaty or military agreement? They should give me money for that. Other bad points are the very small manual, for this complex game you need a good manual and not this consolish paper. I dont like the binding to steam either. 9/10 from me
  5. Jun 28, 2015
    This is a game that seriously stands out and grips you as any good game should. With intelligent AI, massive amounts of content and detail you'll be a fan of the old ways in a seconds. From the beautiful introduction into the campaign, to the extremely competitive online play. I'll be totally honest, it's the most satisfying online game I've come across. There are great visuals that onlyThis is a game that seriously stands out and grips you as any good game should. With intelligent AI, massive amounts of content and detail you'll be a fan of the old ways in a seconds. From the beautiful introduction into the campaign, to the extremely competitive online play. I'll be totally honest, it's the most satisfying online game I've come across. There are great visuals that only become loosened if you have a rather powerful graphics card and this game was one of those where I had to upgrade, and yep it was worth it. Simply put Shogun 2 feels like a complex and exciting version of chess that is elegant and efficient. I would say it is the best strategy game of all time in my opinion. Excluding chess though. :P Expand
  6. Jun 8, 2015
    Personally, I think this is the ultimate Total War game so far with a great balance in the turn-based campaign and real-time battles. It's also a great reminder of the first game in the series while the game itself is innovative and fresh.
  7. May 12, 2015
  8. Jan 22, 2015
    Shogun Total War 2 is first casual game in the Total War series. It offers great experience with limited content. Casual and fast paced battles, simple rock-paper-scissors strategy and small map may be good for next generation players but at the same time these are the weak points for hardcore fans. Feudal japan concept is successfully created with beautiful graphics and sound effects.Shogun Total War 2 is first casual game in the Total War series. It offers great experience with limited content. Casual and fast paced battles, simple rock-paper-scissors strategy and small map may be good for next generation players but at the same time these are the weak points for hardcore fans. Feudal japan concept is successfully created with beautiful graphics and sound effects. Game has less technical problems compared to first Rome and its followers.(except famous SEGA splash screen bug). Land battles are shorter than older games so can't be watched decently but they are very excited and brutal. Naval battles are playable and entertaining after Empire TW and Napoleon TW sea battle failures. There are too many good DLC's to increase unit and faction diversity by adding new clans and clan specific units. Like the other TW games, this game has a poor AI too. Thankfully, CA has an epic modding community and there are too many good mods to improve AI's ability. As a result Shogun Total War 2 is a good game with new casual gameplay elements for new players and price is reasonable for a AAA strategy game. But if you're hardcore TW fan and love samurai concept, I recommend to you Total War Shogun 2: Fall of Samurai. Expand
  9. Sep 25, 2014
    Just excellent game, only bettered by FOTS DLC. Little replayability though : all factions feel the same, but ikko ikki. The AI is the best in a TW game, even the diplomacy is good (unique in a TW game which all have **** AI diplomates)
  10. Aug 22, 2014
    Shogun 2. Not the best Total War but not the Worst. The game is a bit to fast paced turn wise and the troop options are non existent. Naval Combat is so so, i don't really enjoy it compared to Empire and you basically don't really need a navy.

The Tech tree is back and I'm not really for or against. The upgrade options for generals are interesting but not really game changing. There are some improvements to diplomacy and the family tree is back, YAY!

Load times are epic and graphics use massive resources as per normal for a total war game. The game play is important not the graphics. I want better controls, i don't care about individual blades of grass or reflection off water.

Also "I DON'T SPEAK JAPANESE MR GENERAL" I have selected English for my language!!!

Army formations, what where you thinking Creative Assembly. How am i supposed to tell the difference between a bear and a dragon formation. DUMB

So a mediocre score for a mediocre game. Positive but not that positive.
  11. Jun 8, 2014
    This game takes me back to the good ol days. Such good memories from playing this game, I remember my first game I just had mongol against one unit to see the devastation. This game blew me off my feet, after seeing Napoleon total war I thought CA was taking steps back and was scared of what shogun would be, I was wrong big time. Personally, If I had to live with only 1 total war game itThis game takes me back to the good ol days. Such good memories from playing this game, I remember my first game I just had mongol against one unit to see the devastation. This game blew me off my feet, after seeing Napoleon total war I thought CA was taking steps back and was scared of what shogun would be, I was wrong big time. Personally, If I had to live with only 1 total war game it would be shogun 2/rome I total war ^^. This game was a blast I felt that it had a very solid campaign, great graphics, an overall decent AI compared to other total war games. I felt that it is also the only total war game with fluid animations that look real and the battles, are intense and brutal. Only thing I did not enjoy about this game was lack of units to choose from but this was kind of made up for with mods and DLC's but I would have liked for each clan to have there own unit types and such. By far the most game I have ever played used to spend hours each day with friends just multiplayer battle after multiplayer battle. And the multiplayer campaign with friends with junk food and watching tv was the best gaming moments I have had along with a few moments from skyrim with friends, and chivalry. Great game was so good made me hate rome total war 2. DLC's for this game were surprisingly good though I felt that fall of samurai was ehm op lets say compared to the normal game but, it did not matter since you could choose in multiplayer to fight with only shogun 2 players or along with fall of samurai.

My overall scores:

Gameplay: 10/10

Graphics: 10/10

Community: 12/10 (best community so far, for me at least)

Multiplayer: 100/10 (cannot be matched!)

Units: 8/10

campaign: 11/10

animations: over 9000

final score: badass game, that is so fun to play and even more fun to play with friends.
  12. May 30, 2014
    THE ONLY PLAYABLE TOTAL WAR!!

So the other Total War games don't have a listing of all the armies, navies, agents, etc that allow you to keep track of which ones you've already attended to even if you choose not to move. That alone makes this really the only playable game. The other ones, including rome 2, are way to cumbersome and it takes all day to make the turn. I'm addicted.
    THE ONLY PLAYABLE TOTAL WAR!!

I'm addicted.

I am the type to get bored of a game super easily, and I play this game every second I can, which means playing 11pm to 4:30AM when I have work at 9AM.

The graphics are still amazing in 2014, and the game runs on all maxed settings even when I had a 560ti.

The diplomacy is shallow, and the economy of the game leaves me wanting more (I'm a nerd), but most people would not like having to go so in depth.

The battle gameplay is fantastic and very in-depth. The generals and family tree is fun.

Try it. It will provide the most bang for the buck for any game on the market.

Only complaint is the UI gets buggy when you try to do 1000 things all at once clicking like a mad man on the campaign map. Can't fault them because the game works except when you are trying to move 3 armies literally at the same time.
  13. May 27, 2014
    Strategy games can, honestly, never get better than this. Excellent campaign map, clear, concise tutorial, awesome naval battles, and bunches of detail, from the katana of a samurai to the biggest mountain.
  14. Apr 8, 2014
    Definitely my least favorite Total War game. I'll start off my saying i'm not a fan of the theme. Since Japan is such a small place, all of the factions ended up being pretty much homogeneous. You'll have the same units for almost every faction. The only exception are the "Warrior Monks" that are in 2-3 factions. Also, the most interesting and different faction, the Ikko-Ikki are lockedDefinitely my least favorite Total War game. I'll start off my saying i'm not a fan of the theme. Since Japan is such a small place, all of the factions ended up being pretty much homogeneous. You'll have the same units for almost every faction. The only exception are the "Warrior Monks" that are in 2-3 factions. Also, the most interesting and different faction, the Ikko-Ikki are locked out. You have to buy a DLC to play a faction that is already in the game and fully functional. Seriously?! Also, due to the size of Japan, you'll have the same looking battlefields and a total of like 4 different siege maps. This obviously makes battles incredibly repetitive. The graphics are good and the polish is there, but the optimization is not. Load screens take an absurd amount of time and the turn timer takes way too long. This is partially due to the fact that there are like 50 different factions each with like 1 region on the map (Only 9 are playable with the base game). Want to play as 3 addition factions? You have to pay $5 each! A complete and utter scam. The game is still somewhat fun, it is a total war game after all. I enjoyed the campaign most of the time as long as I was autoresolving the terrible battles. Then I got to realm divide. It's a good idea that was implemented terribly. Basically once you conquer enough regions, every other faction in the game will declare war on you even if you've been allies the entire time. Obviously, for someone who is unprepared for such an occurrence, they are totally screwed. In conclusion, repetitive clans and battles, as well as greedy DLC practices have lead Shogun 2 astray to the point where it really isn't worth picking up unless you're a big fan of the series. Expand
  15. Mar 27, 2014
    The greatest RTS game I have played, where other RTS's feel chaotic and are filled with infinitely spawning units this game feels completely controlled and a blast to play, as well as watch, as all characters on screen are individually modeled, and at times there can be over 10,000 characters on screen at the same time and I rarely get any lag.
  16. Mar 26, 2014
    Shogun 2 is clearly the best game of the total war franchise. Of course there is room for improvement but judging from rome 2 this "improvement" won't come from CA in the near future.
  17. Mar 20, 2014
    Rich with entertaining features, beautifully designed, and an overall excellent experience. Plays just as a Total War game should, even above the elevated standards of the franchise. Replaying this game is the perfect way to remind yourself how great TW can be in the aftermath of the Rome II debacle.
  18. Mar 18, 2014
    This is a fairly difficult game to review. The vanilla version of the game falls short for silly reasons while the modded version (Darth Mod is a true hero of our times) is awesome - easily one of the best strategy games made recently. So, in order to give the game a thorough review I'm going to look at what they did well, what they did (horribly) wrong and how the mod fixes it.

What

What they did well: The AI is vastly improved especially on a strategy level. The AI now forms lasting alliances and looks to expand in a sensible way. It also builds armies quite well and tries to retain a useful balance of its forces (unlike previous TW-games where you could easily meet a full stack of archers because the AI thought it was a great unit and hey... you can't get enough of a good thing, right?). The economic system is much harder now and you can support fewer full stack armies which is great as it forces you to think more on how best to deploy your resources. It also means that you can't abuse the blitz-krieg concept which just won the game in previous TW games. You don't have enough armies to simply overwhelm any enemy in a year anymore and once you do, he has enough to defend against it. You have to build good armies, keep them alive and choose your battles carefully. Winning large battles quite literally determines the fate of empires.

What they did wrong: Unfortunately, none of the good things mentioned above matter because of what they did wrong. On hard level and above, the computer cheats violently. It respawns full stack armies and earns bundles of money from nothing. Of course, that makes the game fairly difficult (and annoying) but more importantly, it removes all of those strategic elements the game got right. Winning on the filed means nothing now, no strategic value because he just spawns a new army. Only taking cities matters now. Blockading ports or otherwise hurting the AI through economy means nothing, he gets money for free. Diplomacy is useless because everyone automatically hates you now and they all have endless armies. Basically, this ruins the game. In the pure vanilla version this is no more than a 4/10 game.

GO MOD! But luckily, the modding community comes to our aid. Darth Mod fixes all of those annoying points and even improves on the good ones (it's also easy to install). The AI is better on the field (you can actually lose now if you do something silly) and the world seems coherent and punishing. If you choose the wrong allies, you'll be in trouble, if you leave yourself exposed against a non-friendly neighbor, you'll be attacked, but at the same time you need to check the most rapidly expanding AIs or you'll find yourself in the world of Rob Stark: defeated without ever losing a battle. To win effectively on Hard level you have to use all aspects of the game; economy, diplomacy and tactics. Then it suddenly becomes a 10/10 game. However, since I can't give the game a top grade for work they didn't do themselves, I'll leave the rating on 7.
  19. Feb 19, 2014
    I don't know if I like the game or not. It is good and complex but at the same time frustrating. It's a Civ combined with an RTS and I find it quite hard.

You can't see the unit's type on the battlefield so you have to select a unit to see what it is. Archers? Pikemen? Not so obvious when you look at them from the top. So it can be really easy to loose battle when you don't really know what you're playing with. Also the map units - spies, monks, etc seem to be invincible and keep sabotaging my city while I try to send yet another ninja squad to assassinate them. Unsuccessfully most of the time.
    And there is the Japanese theme which I'm totally no familiar with. The names of the units and buildings tell me nothing. It's totally not appealing to me.
    The AI can also be a pain. My whole army gets slaughtered by archers because katana warriors can't get through the gates as they're fighting a few defending soldiers. Ninjas get killed really quickly, everybody else gets killed by the archers and watchtowers and charging unit decided to go all the way around exposing itself to arrows. It's just frustrating to play.
  20. Feb 18, 2014
    This is the best strategy game I've ever played. The experience was as exciting as playing Rome when it came out about ten years ago but with obvious improvements in graphics. I was pretty disappointed with Empire when it came out (particularly the overall strategy of the game which was far less complex than previous Total War games) but liked certain aspects of the game such as longThis is the best strategy game I've ever played. The experience was as exciting as playing Rome when it came out about ten years ago but with obvious improvements in graphics. I was pretty disappointed with Empire when it came out (particularly the overall strategy of the game which was far less complex than previous Total War games) but liked certain aspects of the game such as long range trade routes, improved diplomacy and tech trees. Shogun however manages to take on all the improvements of Empire while staying true to the strategic greatness of Rome (and Medieval 2).
    I was addicted to this game for about 6 months in 2013 and started getting really excited for Rome 2 thinking that it would be even better but having seen the overwhelming negative reviews for it I haven't even bought it yet. Creative Assembly needs to bring out a new game based on the foundation set by Shogun 2!
  21. Feb 1, 2014
    Awesome, i loved this game, is my favorite video game of all that i have played all my life :), the map, the story, the graphics, well, all is awesome compared to another strategy games, congratulations creative assembly :D
  22. Jan 26, 2014
    It took me long time to get into Shogun 2 but with some help from Radious Mod i have to say that i'm really enjoying Shogun 2 now. The artstyle and graphics are amazing in the vanilla shogun and the music really adds to the atmosphere especially on the campaign map, which looks and feels beautiful.

The AI is a lot better in Shogun 2 and i found myself really struggling at times against large stacks of enemies landing behind my lines, especially after Real divide. The battle AI still has its flaws for instance generals still rush into danger and the tactics it employs can be pretty predictable, however on the whole its alot better.

However vanilla Shogun 2 has to little unit variety for my liking hence why i was forced to use Radious Mod and while i like the RPG elements on agents and generals CA seem to have removed a lot of the natural growth generals had in earlier titles. Naval battles are also quite hit and miss but that might just be because i'm a terrible admiral.

Taking all into consideration Shogun 2 is a great game, it doesn't reach the heights of M2:TW or Rome:TW in my opinion but its alot better than Empire or Rome 2.
  23. Dec 22, 2013
    I played TW titles since the original Shogun Total War 1 published in 2000. While it has been something very new and exciting back then, today I feel like every new title is barely adding fun to the game: its just updated graphics, more menues, more choices.

But overloading the game doesn't make it better. Game mechanics can be OK like here with Shogun-2 or can be really bad like

But overloading the game doesn't make it better.

Game mechanics can be OK like here with Shogun-2 or can be really bad like with Empire TW. Opponent AI feels like the same as 13 years ago and thats really poor.

Still, you won't notice instantly and this game could be good for some 10-20 hours of Japan conquest.

I give it 7 out of 10, because it is still a "good" game, but by far not as good as it could be.
  24. Dec 20, 2013
    Honestly after the rome 2 disaster i was hesitant on trying the newer total war games.. Boy was i wrong this game gets naval and land combat right its honestly a blast to see two groups of samurai split off for 1v1 combat in a skirmish. Not the big clump of men rome 2 has... The campaign map can be a pain to navigate with frequent slow downs on older PC's. Also this is the first total warHonestly after the rome 2 disaster i was hesitant on trying the newer total war games.. Boy was i wrong this game gets naval and land combat right its honestly a blast to see two groups of samurai split off for 1v1 combat in a skirmish. Not the big clump of men rome 2 has... The campaign map can be a pain to navigate with frequent slow downs on older PC's. Also this is the first total war game i played were in multiplayer more Calvary doesn't equal a win. Expand
  25. Nov 21, 2013
    Another great addition to the total war series. These games are consistently getting better with each release. The new skills for generals, and the multi-stage siege battles keep me on the edge of my seat.
  26. Oct 6, 2013
    this game is truly the pinnacle of Total war, and all strategy games. Awesome graphics, create campaign map, this is a release to be proud off. Currently clocked 360 hours and even the release of Rome 2 isn't slowing me down.
  27. Sep 28, 2013
    This is a very good game, and I love it.

This is a very good game, and I love it.

However it does game design a disservice to pretend that this is a 10/10 game. It isn't. Much as it pains me to say, this game has a number of serious design flaws that leave it a long way from perfection. First and worst is the design of the single player campaign. It seems the crew in CA are unable to grasp the key point that a factional civil war requires a POLITICAL game. Personalities, loyalties, betrayals, economic considerations, deals and diplomacy SHOULD be at the heart of the experience. But NONE of that is there. CA has a very simple political model based on linear expansion of an empire. There is nothing that approaches wheeling or dealing or THINKING requires in the campaign EVER. Nor can we take any deal or alliance seriously, since the AI always breaks its deals and alliances on a whim. Over-all this is the tragedy of the creative Assembly. They have failed to grasp what was good about Rome (1). And they have failed to develop any kind of political-diplomatic engine or gameplay. A big fail.

Beyond that all the actual war mechanics: The UI, the graphic art. unit balancing, music, voice work, in-game movies are all BRILLIANT! magnificent! Multiplayer is fantastic with the avatar system. All the nuts and bolts of a brilliant franchise are polished and chromed and gleaming. There is definitely too much time lost in loading screens. Other than that, its a fantastically built game.

But at its heart, a true heart is missing.

We can appreciate that in Rome 2, there is the beginning of CA trying to expand the victory conditions: they have the idea of an 'economic' or 'cultural' victory. But nowhere near enough. They probably need to hire a team to rebuild the core of gameplay, but a lot of energy and resources into getting the HEART of the game right. When they append their own great visual assets to an enhanced, politically-focused engine they will finally pull their franchise out of the swamp of perennial 'could have been great' titles and achieve an honestly great game. Nothing else would be a just reward for all the great things CA has given gaming over the years than to see them reach Nirvana, turn the corner, and hit a home run.

Shogun 2 was a great effort, but caught in the outfield.

orctowngrot
  28. Sep 14, 2013
    I love this game. It has good new features, a good skill tree, good polish, good balancing, specially with mods, but it has its own problems too though. In vanilla game, AI spawns stacks of archers with almost no melee, battles are way too fast, and AI spawns armies out of nothing, but mods fix almost everything. Would play this over Rome 2.
  29. Sep 11, 2013
    I love to play it.
    You have many different units and clans you can play. Also you must organize your towns (when you play campaign) very good otherwise you get rebellions etc.
    The AI is very very good (battle and campaign). Last time i played campaign on hard, one clan nearly took over the whole country. The graphic is very good too, you can choose between Dx 9 or 11. I play it on 11
    I love to play it.
    The graphic is very good too, you can choose between Dx 9 or 11. I play it on 11 with all settings on the highest option and its very nice to see.
  30. Sep 7, 2013
    ---Rating---
    Design: 4 /5 (solid, but recycles a familiar formula and is limited in scope)
    Polish: 5 /5 (excellent visuals and an altogether refined experience) Value: 3 /5 (slightly limited replay value, but a very good buy at a discount) ---Review--- I found the game's depiction of the Japanese culture/setting to be quite interesting, and the graphics and sound are certainly nice
    ---Rating---
    Design: 4 /5 (solid, but recycles a familiar formula and is limited in scope)
    Polish: 5 /5 (excellent visuals and an altogether refined experience)
    Value: 3 /5 (slightly limited replay value, but a very good buy at a discount)

---Review---
    I found the game's depiction of the Japanese culture/setting to be quite interesting, and the graphics and sound are certainly nice enough. The solid real-time battle gameplay remains intact, though I did have some minor yet frustrating problems with units not being responsive enough to commands in multiplayer modes. The other main issue I noticed was the variants of siege battlefields- both few and uninteresting- being recycled by the game, which causes this kind of battle to feel repetitive.

As far as the campaign goes, it leaves a bit to be desired in my opinion. I can't really see them adding too much greater detail to Japan, but the gameplay definitely begs for a bigger and more interesting campaign map. One main island and two smaller ones (with nothing but a few trade posts beyond) simply doesn't produce the kind of interesting scenarios that the inclusion of Hokkaido, Okinawa, or even Korea could have created. Moreover, movement is extremely restricted in the limited area that is accessible, with the forests and mountains leaving one or two narrow lanes through each province.

The way that play progresses, you will only ever be in contact with about 5-8 other clans- initially those bordering your province(s)- and not too many turns later there will invariably be about seven or so clans spanning the entire map. I have always found TW titles' endgame to be something of a chore/slog, so I have always preferred experiencing the perspective of multiple different factions over playing through an entire campaign from start to finish, but sadly one's ability to do the former is very limited in this game. In line with that, for me the most glaring issue with the game is the unnecessary restrictions of which clans the player can choose without purchasing additional DLC, but others may not share my detest for the DLC-based business model.

All in all, TW:S2 suffers from a distinct lack of choices and replay value but still manages to be a decent and enjoyable game, if simply adhering to the familiar TW formula.
  31. Sep 7, 2013
    Great game! It does not change the old good mechanics of previous installment of the title, but adds some minor flavors to change the experience. It has stunning graphic and excellent music.
  32. Sep 5, 2013
    This is not a TOTAL WAR GAME
    this is a crap arcade console game released in the PC market just to make profit
    from people expectations. After this release any company could sell poison on refresh bottles and simple say "this is our vision of a proper refresh" drink and die. "Man's greed know no limits" PS. I don't bother to proper analise the game read the other user posts
    This is not a TOTAL WAR GAME
    from people expectations.

"this is our vision of a proper refresh" drink and die.

"Man's greed know no limits"

PS. I don't bother to proper analise the game read the other user posts
    For the first time in my life i only register in this site to post this desperate cry of indignation

Big software companies are just like finantial institutions, no rules just rob people and live on
  33. Sep 5, 2013
    Only after playing Rome 2 I released how good Shogun 2 was. Here we have user friendly and nice interface. Family tree which ensures great roleplay. Graphics are great and Sakura are amazingly beautiful

I strongly recommend to try this game if you never played TW games before. Rome 2 currently is a huge mess.
  34. Sep 5, 2013
    If you have ever played any other total war game you know exactly what you are getting into. A very strong strategy game with in depth and detailed units that will have you're jaw dropped. Something a little bit new in this installment is the animations, hand to hand combat has never looked so good. Other than the looks, the actual game will have you sit down in your chair and have youIf you have ever played any other total war game you know exactly what you are getting into. A very strong strategy game with in depth and detailed units that will have you're jaw dropped. Something a little bit new in this installment is the animations, hand to hand combat has never looked so good. Other than the looks, the actual game will have you sit down in your chair and have you think about the future of your clan, truly a thinking man's game, have Christianity spread through your lands and you may have a split in society, some saying you have lost your tradition, others praising you for open mindedness. Anyways this is a great buy! Expand
  35. Sep 5, 2013
    After playing all of the Total War games, I could easily crown this the reigning champion.

Its easy to admire the wonderful graphics and solid UI, but where it shines is in its subtle aspects (Historical accuracy, the way agents and armies/towns synergies, etc). There is a completeness to the gameplay that is hard to capture and present to an audience. Overall, Shogun is best at what

There is a completeness to the gameplay that is hard to capture and present to an audience. Overall, Shogun is best at what it does. So do yourself a favor and get this one.
  36. Sep 5, 2013
    This game is great and has good music.

Multiplayer quick battle matchmaking: Its very punishing on new players because of veteran units gaining more stats however if you keep at it you'll eventually have those veteran units. I've played this part of the game the most as its very fun. Only thing I wouldn't recommend is having a normal Shogun 2 army fighting a Fall of the Samurai army.
    This game is great and has good music.

Single player campaign: Takes quite a few hours to complete a single campaign. Realm divide is just plain annoying and wasn't expected the first time I ran into it and sadly the higher difficulties aren't as enjoyable because you're stuck defending the whole game. If you don't mind preparing for realm divide it can be fun.

Co-op Campaign: I've only completed maybe three of these. You can share units with your friend in battles so they have something to do other than watch the fight which is nice.

Only real complaint about this game is the loading times. (An example of this is the start up load screen takes about 2 minutes every time.) Other than that its an amazing game and I recommend it.
  37. Sep 5, 2013
    Ah, dear Shogun 2. After playing the mess that is Total War Rome 2, I am constantly reminded of the things you did right and your greatness.

Music, battles, theme, voices, blood pack DLC, Rock Paper Scissors elements, agents, family trees, skill trees, the list goes on. The only fault I can think of is the over-reliance on foreign trade points. Other than that, my dear Hojo clan

The only fault I can think of is the over-reliance on foreign trade points.

Other than that, my dear Hojo clan and my first memories of this game shall remain my favorite of all the Total War series!
  38. Sep 4, 2013
    Pros:
    -Good graphics
    -Great strategy game
    -Lots of re-play value.
    -Nice musik

Cons:
    -Factions are very similar.
    -AI does some stupid things sometimes
    -To much rock,paper,scissors tactics.

Conclusion: Is the best Total War to date but still suffers from sometimes stupid AI.
    Can certainly be recommended.
  39. Sep 3, 2013
    Why you should buy it:
    -Stunning graphics
    -Realistic feel to combat -Actual strategy is involved in the battles -Town management isn't too complex but is just enough to make you feel like you have real control -The two research trees make the game more dynamic and add a fantastic level to your ability to customize -Gameplay is fun, challenging, and makes you want to take "just one
    Why you should buy it:
    -Stunning graphics
    -Realistic feel to combat
    -Actual strategy is involved in the battles
    -Gameplay is fun, challenging, and makes you want to take "just one more turn"

Why you shouldn't buy it:
    -The time limit for the game means you have to play against the clock (although you can get a mod that changes this)
    -Graphically demanding battles
    -AI allies are relatively incompetent

Conclusion: I'd say if you enjoy turn-based strategy games, you REALLY should invest in this one.
  40. Aug 9, 2013
    Excellent game. I have played almost 100 hours already and need to admit that Shogun 2 sets new quality standards for gaming industry. Graphics, gameplay, many small features make this game just amazing.
  41. Aug 8, 2013
    I thoroughly enjoy this game, being a longtime fan of the Total War series. I do wish that the cutscenes had more polish to them, sometimes I think the in-game characters actually have more detail. I am glad to see Total War go back to its roots. The game looks absolutely gorgeous, and plays how I would expect a Total War game to play, a lovely remake of the original.

Now, I have

Now, I have noticed some of the more negative reviews on here complaining about how small the campaign map is and the lack of unit variety. Well, what exactly are you expecting from a game focused on feudal Japan? I put this game in the same category as the Britannia campaign in the Medieval 2 Kingdoms expansion which was focused entirely on the british isles. It is a much more tightly focused map than say Rome, Empire, or Medieval 2 proper, where you have all of Europe to conquer. Also being Japan, how different would the factions really be? It is all the same culture, one that had been kept isolated from the rest of the world for centuries. A culture that absolutely mastered sword making, but in all that time somehow never invented something as basic as the shield.

There are a couple of things I would like to see added in as DLC or a full on expansion, though maybe I will have to wait for mods as CA's main focus has shifted to Rome 2. Remake the Mongol Invasion expansion to the original Shogun, and maybe do another expansion based on Toyotomi Hideyoshi's failed attempt to invade Korea in 1592. Those would add a good bit more variety to the game I think.
  42. Aug 1, 2013
    Not worth your money. Awful, simplified amalgamation of previous TW titles. Unit variety is even worse than in Empire, with all factions sharing the exact same, ridiculously small selection of units: 2 archer types, 3 spearmen types, 2 swordsmen types, 3 cavalry types, and 2 musket armed units (with 1 cannon, 1 mangonel, 1 grenadier unit, and a "ninja" unit). This is essentially the entireNot worth your money. Awful, simplified amalgamation of previous TW titles. Unit variety is even worse than in Empire, with all factions sharing the exact same, ridiculously small selection of units: 2 archer types, 3 spearmen types, 2 swordsmen types, 3 cavalry types, and 2 musket armed units (with 1 cannon, 1 mangonel, 1 grenadier unit, and a "ninja" unit). This is essentially the entire unit selection, and because of the awful tech tree, you're limited to using a marginal amount of these units until the mid- to late game.
    Besides the monotony, there's also the exact same bugs present in Empire and Napoleon, which they STILL haven't bothered to fix. The multiplayer desynchs were so prevalent, and rather than bother to fix them, their "work around" is the removal of the ability to continue battle after the enemy routs in a multiplayer game. The same old path finding issues are STILL present, with units completely unable to use bridges without getting stuck underneath them, units getting lost in sieges, and units running in random directions when told to charge; and the same old unit cloud still exists, with units crumpling into a thin cloud rather than actually engaging the enemy.
    If you really want it, pirate it.
  43. Jul 4, 2013
    Honestly I enjoyed Empire a lot more. The combat doesn't exactly feel very tactical. A lot of times, even with the Darth Mod, the AI just charges across the map and slams into you. The AI hasn't got the first clue how to put together a naval fleet or command it in battle. The only thing you have to worry about is a glitch that causes them to scatter to the edges of the map making you spendHonestly I enjoyed Empire a lot more. The combat doesn't exactly feel very tactical. A lot of times, even with the Darth Mod, the AI just charges across the map and slams into you. The AI hasn't got the first clue how to put together a naval fleet or command it in battle. The only thing you have to worry about is a glitch that causes them to scatter to the edges of the map making you spend the next several minutes cruising around the map's edge picking them off. As far as unit balance, the sea units are better off and all have clear roles, though the AI is so stupid at sea that this doesn't really matter. Wining a sea battle in Shogun 2 is like tying your shoes, anybody can do it,so all that matters getting it over with as quickly as possible. On land, cavalry is superfluous. The value of ranged infantry is questionable. I kind of feel like I could make a big swarm of no-dichi samurai and they'd pretty much beat anything. Katana and spear infantry are all that really matters because more often than not the AI will charge in and it will just turn into a big melee fight. On the grand strategy map, the AI is just stupidly aggressive. They flood the sea with fleets of cheap boats that you have to engage in long stupid battle with. Unless you outnumber the enemy by about 4 to 1, the auto-resolve almost always causes you to take ridiculous losses, especially at sea. Enemies wage war constantly and for no reason. Creating vassals is just stupid as they always turn on you. Then there is the Realm Divide event which happens as you'rr about halfway to beating the game and causes everyone to wage war on you with no hope of peace, essentially making diplomacy entirely pointless for about half of every game's duration. I have yet to build most of the buildings or research all of the techs because every game ends so quickly as everyone insists on waging war and being killed. The graphics look nice up close, but once you zoom out it actually looks a lot worse than Empire. Probably intended to improve performance. The soundtrack is forgettable. I would say the game is a little better than Civilization 5. Expand
  44. Jul 4, 2013
    A must have for all gamers fascinated by feudal Japan. Great graphics, awesome soundtrack, solid gameplay and heaps of replay value. Highly recommended!
  45. Jun 19, 2013
    Never played multipalyer for this game, but I did like the campaign mode. I am an avid Total War fan all the way to the first Shogun game, so I was giddy when I heard they were making a modern sequel. As I expected, it is much similar to the first game but with massive improvements in graphics, AI, game elements, and gameplay. The AI is still not the best, but it still does a good job andNever played multipalyer for this game, but I did like the campaign mode. I am an avid Total War fan all the way to the first Shogun game, so I was giddy when I heard they were making a modern sequel. As I expected, it is much similar to the first game but with massive improvements in graphics, AI, game elements, and gameplay. The AI is still not the best, but it still does a good job and generally makes smart moves. Sometimes the AI definitely gets to be in a pain in the neck when they make a move that I unfortunately failed to see coming and they begin razing my towns ugh! But that's part of the fun of this game.

The best part, other than the actual strategic elements on the campaign map, are of course the real-time battles that you can dive into. My gaming rig thankfully can handle maxed out graphics, and this baby is GORGEOUS! I wish there was blood and gore though; I honestly haven't checked if there's a mod or DLC for that yet.

I wish the mini-cut scenes for agents were more varied, but as always I am intrigued to watch and see whether they succeed or fail. Speaking of cut scenes, the generals' speeches before every battle are always fun to listen to and watch. Yes, they if you think about it they are kinda funny and cheesy, but if you set your mind to it you do appreciate that they try to make it inspirational and immersive that way.

While some reviews here complain that all it really comes down to is who has the bigger army, particularly in caste sieges, I beg to differ. I have won countless battles now in my dozens of hours of gameplay where I was outnumbered, sometimes even 2:1. What truly matters is unit experience, unit type, and how you deploy them in the battlefield.

One grip I do have about the sieges is that the fortress/city or whatever aren't realistic or as expansive/detailed as you would expect one to be. It's mostly a huge empty space where your army is deployed, guard towers (if you have any), maybe a building or two and a shrine, and then the walls. That's about it, which is unrealistic. That said, it is nice to see there are buildings beyond the walls, like small villages around the main city, but again even those aren't as big as they should be.

One of the best RTS games you can play, with samurais and ninjas! How awesome is that?? Very.
  46. Jun 9, 2013
    they did silly things with high grade difficulties. they removed features that were pretty vital to the game. Legendary mode, the shinobi unit "scouting" for the army no longer even factors into movement range. it was a pretty important perk that it still says it does. main 3 weapons were the sword, Naginata spear and yari spear. sword being anti-infantry to yari being anti-cavalry andthey did silly things with high grade difficulties. they removed features that were pretty vital to the game. Legendary mode, the shinobi unit "scouting" for the army no longer even factors into movement range. it was a pretty important perk that it still says it does. main 3 weapons were the sword, Naginata spear and yari spear. sword being anti-infantry to yari being anti-cavalry and Naginata being the even medium between the blades. Match making was very unfair to new players on multiplier. a new player with nothing but Ashiguri low morale units forced to fight artillery of a high leveled veteran player defending up a hill. a couple of recent patch and upgrades has killed solo player alot. the fact relations between two "alliances" don't even matter. a very friendly unit with over 400 points with, declared war on me for no reason. good relations with the entire map. Expand
  47. Jun 5, 2013
    Good game, but the game has some downsides, like the Realm divide. Still a very good game. The massive battles are fun as hell! I recommend this game to any Total War game. If you are not sure, play the demo or wait for Rome 2!
  48. May 26, 2013
    The firs total war game I never finished for it got way to frustrating. My brother and I have been playing the total war series since day one and have enjoyed most of them. The original Shogun and Medieval 2 total war being a favorites, yet this one neither of us finished which is a first fist both of us. Several points made the game a poor design What the hell is the point of havingThe firs total war game I never finished for it got way to frustrating. My brother and I have been playing the total war series since day one and have enjoyed most of them. The original Shogun and Medieval 2 total war being a favorites, yet this one neither of us finished which is a first fist both of us. Several points made the game a poor design What the hell is the point of having walls in a castle if all the troops can just friggen climb them? None. Terrible mistake there. If they can climb they should not be in full armour, nor carry heavy weaponry. Both of us used diplomacy and make allies as best as we can and it has assisted out campaigns in all previous titles this one is crap how the whole country turns against you at a certain point making it near impossible to win. Again terribly unrealistic that this would happen in history or a game where your nation has such a strong influence. Very poor and frustrating design and made it was to hard to keep playing. Neither of us did and I don't think changing difficulty settings are the answer here.

Overall a very disappointing installment and I don't think I'll buy the next one unless it's more realistic and is worth playing through.

Not finished and not impressed with design Negative score
  49. May 23, 2013
    I would rate this game higher except for the horrible bugs I encountered, especially during installation (forced download of 12Gb despite having disks). In my opinion graphics are the same as Empire: Total War but a lot slower especially with the "depth of field" effect which just makes everything blurred rather than giving an actual feeling of depth. Game play is okay, but I feel theI would rate this game higher except for the horrible bugs I encountered, especially during installation (forced download of 12Gb despite having disks). In my opinion graphics are the same as Empire: Total War but a lot slower especially with the "depth of field" effect which just makes everything blurred rather than giving an actual feeling of depth. Game play is okay, but I feel the franchise hasn't really improved much since Medieval II in fact I feel it's gone backwards. Battles should be easier to manage, you should not have to constantly be correcting dumb AI path finding.
    Most of these complaints are minor compared to my issue with the game installation (forced download despite disks and then install is corrupted if you choose to cancel it!).
  50. May 22, 2013
    Not the best total war game. It is nothing different than the other total war games except its samurai warfare. The game like others gives you a time limit to beat it, if you dont with in that time frame than you lose and start over from scratch. Wars dont last within a certain time it can last forever.
  51. May 22, 2013
    Played this game for around 900 hours solo in campaign mode. It's extremely addictive. There are 2 things bad to say about this game. Siege battles are sometimes unplayable because units are stuck behind a wall, don't respond to your orders etc..Same happened with the previous ones and it sometimes ruined your whole campaign!! Another disadvantage is that their is pretty much no unitPlayed this game for around 900 hours solo in campaign mode. It's extremely addictive. There are 2 things bad to say about this game. Siege battles are sometimes unplayable because units are stuck behind a wall, don't respond to your orders etc..Same happened with the previous ones and it sometimes ruined your whole campaign!! Another disadvantage is that their is pretty much no unit variation like rome and medieval. Expand
  52. Apr 28, 2013
    After 50+ solo campaigns and 2k hours multiplayer, all DLC plus maxed out avatars, I can confirm that this is a good game. The multiplayer is the true core of the game and close to perfect if you can be patient with the standard rough edges of the online community. However the single player game is finally pretty BAD. Diplomacy, trade and political economy are all undeveloped. Shogun 2 isAfter 50+ solo campaigns and 2k hours multiplayer, all DLC plus maxed out avatars, I can confirm that this is a good game. The multiplayer is the true core of the game and close to perfect if you can be patient with the standard rough edges of the online community. However the single player game is finally pretty BAD. Diplomacy, trade and political economy are all undeveloped. Shogun 2 is just another case of the same old campaign: conquer 50 territories and win. Nothing has changed or improved from the first Shogun in this regard. CA needs to put much more time and effort into designing a campaign that has more to it than a boring, repetitive, unrealistic mechanical expansion of a realm. They could learn a thing or two from Paradox Interactive and at least attempt to add some dimensions of diplomacy and pschological nuance to the machine. Diplomacy and trade need total (pun) re-building. And the economic management of territiories also needs much more depth. In all honesty Rome 2 will not be a better game if CA only continues to upgrade the visuals and animations. Much more care thought and effort is needed in building a campaign structure that actually requires thought and diplomatic effort to win. Expand
  53. Apr 25, 2013
    Being a big fan of the Total War franchise I really enjoyed this game. Everything in it lived up to my expectations for it. The only drawbacks in the game is a lack of variety when it comes to units, the new focus on DLCs and the fact that easier AI opponents tend to be easier because they are stupid and exhibit typical 'stupid AI'-behavior. However, missing unit variety does not take awayBeing a big fan of the Total War franchise I really enjoyed this game. Everything in it lived up to my expectations for it. The only drawbacks in the game is a lack of variety when it comes to units, the new focus on DLCs and the fact that easier AI opponents tend to be easier because they are stupid and exhibit typical 'stupid AI'-behavior. However, missing unit variety does not take away any of the wonderful fun in commanding large armies in your quest for the title of Shogun in single player, and even the new DLC focus can be forgiven with the release of great DLCs like The Rise- and The Fall of the Samurai. The 'stupid AI'-problem can be fixed by upping the difficulty of the game or by playing the multiplayer segment. Even this multiplayer segment is very well done and can present a true challenge to everyone.
    All in all the game is great and should be recommended to anyone who likes commanding armies in a mix between real time and turn based strategy.
    I look forward to see what is next for the Total War Series.
  54. Apr 25, 2013
    To truly rate this game you should not only buy the the main version, but also spend some money on DLCs, unlocking all the clans and special units. They add quite a lot of diversity and make the game more interesting, creating new strategic options and giving you some extra challenge when adapting to certain enemy advantages. The cost of those add-ons, from which most we shouldn't have toTo truly rate this game you should not only buy the the main version, but also spend some money on DLCs, unlocking all the clans and special units. They add quite a lot of diversity and make the game more interesting, creating new strategic options and giving you some extra challenge when adapting to certain enemy advantages. The cost of those add-ons, from which most we shouldn't have to pay for IMO, are the main reason I won't give it 10. The game mechanics, graphics and pure joy battles will give you are incredible and it's worth every dime you spend on it, but still unlocking some of it's content is clearly overpriced and it's hard not to be at least a little disgusted with how Sega manages those. Expand
  55. Apr 21, 2013
    It's a game simply charming and extremely immersive. I just think they could have improved a little more art and design, like the avatars and graphics a bit more affordable for most computers.
  56. Apr 1, 2013
    I've been playing the game since its release and have more than 500 hours of gameplay. During this time I've found a single Bug, and the game has never crashed.
    Bug:
    http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/2268/2012010800001.jpg Compared to its predecessors: + better graphics + Gunners & Archers shoot more realistic + smarter AI + useful agents + well animated combats + awesome special
    Bug:

Compared to its predecessors:
    + better graphics
    + Gunners & Archers shoot more realistic
    + smarter AI
    + useful agents
    + well animated combats
    + awesome special Abilities such as the warshout of the warrior monks
    - every faction has pretty the same units
    - small Map

Overall it's an awesome game like all of its predecessors.
  57. Mar 31, 2013
    I have been a Total War fan since the original Medieval. I seriously feel that this game is not as immersive as all the other Total War titles.

In my opinion, the graphics are mediocre compared to Empire: Total War, the sense of excitement is somewhat lost and the whole user interface is rubbish. The game is barely ''OK'' but surely a let down. I sincerely hope that Rome 2 will bring the same experience as the previous titles.
  58. Mar 13, 2013
    I've played through all the Total War games in the last 6 months in preparation for Rome 2, and I have to say Shogun 2 compares really badly with Rome and Medieval (let's not talk about Empire). I'm afraid to say it's just boring. I've sleep walked into victory, hardly having to engage my brain.

Poor effort
  59. Mar 5, 2013
    The best strategy game I've played since Civilization. I've probably put more hours into this game than any other, it has excellent replayability. Highly recommended for strategy fans.

It plays similarly to other Total War games, but with some improvements like better resource management and soldier management.
  60. Feb 27, 2013
    Great game when it came out however since its release CA has actually made the game worse through patches and expansions. Fall of the samurai actually made the graphics worse even if you never purchased it. The fogging issue has never been resolved. They have really done their best to destroy the modding for the game as well. One of the patches made it so adding new units to the game makesGreat game when it came out however since its release CA has actually made the game worse through patches and expansions. Fall of the samurai actually made the graphics worse even if you never purchased it. The fogging issue has never been resolved. They have really done their best to destroy the modding for the game as well. One of the patches made it so adding new units to the game makes bows sound like firearms. Did you purchase the game on dvd because you have poor or limited internet? Maybe like me you wanted to play an earlier version of the game that is not broken? Too bad! Because they have patched the game so much the hard copies of the game (which are still in stores btw) are no longer playable and there is no way to install from the disks anymore. Think they are ever going to fix any of the problems? Why would they? They made their money all while ignoring VERY blatant problems and instead released a bunch of paid DLC's which in all honesty should have been in the game from the start. Also, why fix a game when they could be working on a new one (Rome 2) to do the exact same thing with. Expand
  61. Jan 4, 2013
    Truly one of the most addicting games I've ever played, yesterday I spent 13 hours straight in a Co-Op match with a random guy, and he bought the game 2 days ago, and we had a blast! I have been playing Shogun 2 for over a year and they still keep updating the game from time to time, multiplayer connection issues are ironed away. The only drawback for this game might be the public chatTruly one of the most addicting games I've ever played, yesterday I spent 13 hours straight in a Co-Op match with a random guy, and he bought the game 2 days ago, and we had a blast! I have been playing Shogun 2 for over a year and they still keep updating the game from time to time, multiplayer connection issues are ironed away. The only drawback for this game might be the public chat rooms are quiet most of the time : / There are still many people playing it, I logged at 3 AM and decided to play a custom match 4v4, and found one right away. Expand
  62. Dec 30, 2012
    It's like Rome but with Japan and co-op.I much prefer the clan choice to all other total war games and I prefer the map even if it's a little small.Still really good.
  63. Dec 19, 2012
    Being a hardened veteran of the total war series since shogun total war 1, I have seen the evolution this series from the start. I will say that shogun 2 brought some improvements to the real time fighting that I could only dream of in medieval total war. The game is beautiful and most all aspects of the game provide a satisfying challenge. If you play online you will later findBeing a hardened veteran of the total war series since shogun total war 1, I have seen the evolution this series from the start. I will say that shogun 2 brought some improvements to the real time fighting that I could only dream of in medieval total war. The game is beautiful and most all aspects of the game provide a satisfying challenge. If you play online you will later find yourself capable of taking on any enemy AI army outnumbered 5 to 1 but that makes you feel good as well. I personally find the siege battles to be less engaging than other total war titles due to the fact that in 1500 Japan a castle was actually just a giant dirt mound with some small walls built around it. Thus siege equipment is almost completely irrelevant. The tech tree is quite well done in this title which is definitly a plus. However there are two things in my opinion that make the game not so fun to play at times. One of them is the drawn out load times. When you launch the game it takes 60 -180 seconds to get past the initial load screen. Not only that but the load screens in between battles and the campaign map last 20-60 seconds. That is way too long to be left as acceptable. The 2nd problem is that although no longer prominent at the time I write this, the game was released in a state that contained a million and one things that could cause it to crash, desync, or black out on you for no apparent reason. Multiplayer in particular was prone to crashes and corruption every few turns. It took the devs about a year and a half to properly iron out of all these bugs. These may only be 2 problems that I have listed but they were so major I tear up at the memory of how many times my game would crash, force me to load for 2 minutes, and then crash again. Expand
  64. Nov 13, 2012
    Not just Strategy; Out of the 10,000+ games made, I think this is the best ever. It takes everything I loved from Rome:TW, and moves it to the current generation... I am so excited for Rome 2 that I just **** my pants.
  65. Nov 4, 2012
    I am caught between loving this game and hating it.. it has all the elements of a great game.. graphics are amazing, battles are realistic and challenging, and the multiplayer is a breath of fresh air compared to previous total war games... however the single player campaign is frustrating and impossible to win without playing every single battle in person.. auto-resolves almost always endI am caught between loving this game and hating it.. it has all the elements of a great game.. graphics are amazing, battles are realistic and challenging, and the multiplayer is a breath of fresh air compared to previous total war games... however the single player campaign is frustrating and impossible to win without playing every single battle in person.. auto-resolves almost always end in a phyrric victory with you losing almost all of your army, even when versing an obviously inferior opponent. combine this with the realm divide, when you amass a sizeable kingdom, which in turn forces all remaining factions to declare war on you, even allies and vassal states, and all of my campaigns eventually grind to a highly annoying halt.. i have never been able to complete a campaign, nevertheless i will keep trying however stressful it may be. Expand
  66. Oct 6, 2012
    It's nice that the Creative A. went back to japan again, i love that time in which the samurai ruled. There are not many changes compared to previous parts but everything is perfected. I give it a 9 because, like the first shogun, this game draws you into a piece of history, it has great fitting music and the great gameplay. Graphics are nice but I don't think that is a priority to thisIt's nice that the Creative A. went back to japan again, i love that time in which the samurai ruled. There are not many changes compared to previous parts but everything is perfected. I give it a 9 because, like the first shogun, this game draws you into a piece of history, it has great fitting music and the great gameplay. Graphics are nice but I don't think that is a priority to this genre. This game will keep me busy for a while. Expand
  67. Sep 5, 2012
    I've played all of the Total War games with the exception of the first medieval. I've seen people critically acclaim game after game when there is actually no improvement from Rome Total War to this day. I don't understand what merit the new Total War games can have when they only shuffle around a few features, lose some of the most important aspects of the first Total War game - ShogunI've played all of the Total War games with the exception of the first medieval. I've seen people critically acclaim game after game when there is actually no improvement from Rome Total War to this day. I don't understand what merit the new Total War games can have when they only shuffle around a few features, lose some of the most important aspects of the first Total War game - Shogun and add new annoying things that lower overall quality. In this review I am going to systematically point out the flaws that Shogun 2 has in comparison the older games in the series, so please bear with me, I'm not just here to whine and go all nostalgia about the first Shogun, there are actually important distinctions to be observed.

Anyways, let's get into the thick of things.

One thing that the entire total war series lost from the first Shogun game up till now is the IMPORTANCE OF TERRAIN. You occasionally see a few hills in Rome, fight 80% of the time on plains in Medieval 2 and in Shogun 2 there is a return of frequent elevation but its effect is very reduced. Hills and mountains no longer offer the gigantic advantage they offered in the first Shogun, where a single archer unit could defeat a yari ashigaru unit before they even reached the archer unit. In some cases, it could even defeat two, but only if it had elevation on its side. This is no longer so in Shogun 2, where elevation does confer some bonuses but altogether not game changing. Furthermore forests no longer offer protection from arrows which, again, reduces the importance of terrain. What does this mean in the grand scheme of things? That you lessen the importance of a strategic factor and thus reduce overall amount of strategy that you can use. Literally now the only thing that matters is countering their units a rock-paper-scissors (except some units count as both rock and paper) fashion and surrounding their army. While there is still a hefty amount of strategy involved in fights, I can't help but weep while I witness the diminishing of terrain importance while almost nobody even notices it.

On towards the campaign map. The problem with how economy is implemented in Shogun 2 is how it forces you to move slowly and build up your economy. Why is this a bad thing? Because it's boring. Literally the only thing you do is click on a farm, market, sake den or mine to be build, then you WAIT a few turns so that you actually have the necessary income to support your army. You cannot individually tax cities so you cannot gain additional income from happy cities who will not rebel when high taxes are imposed. This is in contrast to Rome where building your economy was a much quicker deal and taxes could be set individually. The other problem that impedes rapid conquest is that almost every city you conquer will be very aggressive towards you which effectively means that you have to keep your army there and WAIT. I'm not really that impatient, but this is an unnecessary wait time imposed on the player out of a bad game design choice. What did Shogun 2 again lose in comparison to Rome? The capacity to pacify the population by slaughtering a large portion of it. This was an effective gameplay mechanism to allow players who want to go for fast conquest to be able to do it while still imposing a punishment on it. Your cities would have very reduced income after the slaughter but they would not rebel for a long while. This was an excellent trade-off that no longer exists. Another part where you have to WAAAAIT is an upcoming realm divide. At a certain point the shogun will order all existing clans to destroy you and all of them will obey even if some are at war with the shogun and actually hate him. This is simply how the thing is programmed. If you attract the ire of the shogun by expanding too early and becoming famous enough before being able to take on the entirety of Japan, you WILL die. What is the problem with this mechanic? The problem is that it forces you, again, to WAIT until you have sufficient forces and economy. So you clicking on buildings and units and pressing the next turn. I hope you can see a pattern here so that I can stop putting wait in caps lock like an **** Overall trend with the Shogun 2 campaign map is having a lot less options than you had in Rome.

The A.I. on the campaign map is also worse than in Shogun 1, if you believe me. It's not that it's in any way dumber, it isn't. The problem is that many times the A.I. plays as if its only purpose is to be a roadblock for the player. They will often attack your faction even though they have zero chance of winning the war and zero chance of escaping your faction's wrath. But they will still do it if they can hurt you in anyway even it results in the total destruction of their clan. This ends up as a very frustrating experience for the player.
  68. Aug 25, 2012
    I was introduced to the total war series/franchise by Rome:Total war and after I bought shogun 2 it felt like I really was the shogunete ruling japan with an iron fist.I honestly think shogun 2 is the best modern graphics and gameplay wise RTS game that players have been waiting for
  69. Aug 1, 2012
    Having played and thoroughly enjoyed the last few Total War games (Rome, Medieval, Empire), I expected to similarly love this game. Sadly, this was not the case. The game looks good: the graphics are improved and the Asian theme is well integrated into the general artwork. But it seems that this desire to create a distinctive ambiance went a little too far and subtracted from the gameplay.Having played and thoroughly enjoyed the last few Total War games (Rome, Medieval, Empire), I expected to similarly love this game. Sadly, this was not the case. The game looks good: the graphics are improved and the Asian theme is well integrated into the general artwork. But it seems that this desire to create a distinctive ambiance went a little too far and subtracted from the gameplay. For example, unit formations are now identified by an animal (crane, snake, etc.)--gone are the days of choosing between line, wedge, etc.--forcing you by trial and error to learn which does what. Would it be too hard to make it clear what the formation is? I'm trying to wage a war, not reenact Kung Fu Panda! The campaign in general was rather bland: I started on an island where I quickly overwhelmed my neighbors, then spent turn after turn building up my forces to invade a neighboring island, only to face a half dozen enemy armies full of highly experienced soldiers, ready to squash the feeble armies that I could support with my limited resources. To be fair, there were several interesting innovations in this title, such as talent trees for agents, but many others were just annoying (limited food supplies which can only be expanded through conquest) or simplistic (research is now strictly turn-dependent, with no way to really gain an advantage). I'm sure many people enjoyed this game, and maybe one day I'll try it again and like it more, but until then I'm just going to wait for Rome II. Expand
  70. Jul 30, 2012
    A very solid and enjoyable game. Admittedly, the unit variety isn't awe inspiring. Neither is the replay ability, as every clan is almost identical. Also, loading times are HUUUUUUGGEEEE and the ai is a bit shoddy. It's really incredibly annoying when your guys refuse to turn and fight or fire until they're all in nicely arranged lines......then they're ridden down by cavalry while they'reA very solid and enjoyable game. Admittedly, the unit variety isn't awe inspiring. Neither is the replay ability, as every clan is almost identical. Also, loading times are HUUUUUUGGEEEE and the ai is a bit shoddy. It's really incredibly annoying when your guys refuse to turn and fight or fire until they're all in nicely arranged lines......then they're ridden down by cavalry while they're faffing around. In spite of those problems however, this really is a first rate game. The battles are very fun, particularly with the blood dlc, and can be pretty brutal. The gameplay improvements are good, with the exception of navies which are still a bit rubbish. Campaign map gameplay is challenging and tactical and definately fun. Overall, a good game worth buying, though definately not the best Total war. Or the second best. Buy it, but make sure to pick up Fall of the Samurai because that's excellent. Avoid rise of the samurai, that's just pointless Expand
  71. Jul 26, 2012
    If you are new to the Total war franchise you will surely have a good time with Shogun 2 total war. If not you will probably find the game quite sub-par. They havent bothered to fix the problems that were in the previous games and they even added some more. The AI is awful and diplomacy seldom makes any sense. In battle the enemy behaves moronically on hard difficulty not to mention theIf you are new to the Total war franchise you will surely have a good time with Shogun 2 total war. If not you will probably find the game quite sub-par. They havent bothered to fix the problems that were in the previous games and they even added some more. The AI is awful and diplomacy seldom makes any sense. In battle the enemy behaves moronically on hard difficulty not to mention the siege battles that is plain broken. The building cap in your cities makes building a chore not to mention taking away the interactivity from you the player. The unit variation is also quite slim making most battles feel the same no matter who you are fighting against. Furthermore you will find yourself fighting over and over again at the same battlemap. Shogun 2 Total war is still a decent game but the gameplay is just too much alike the previous games to ignore that shogun 2 seems like a downgrade. The research three, the ability to exchange hostages and arrange marriages, the honousystem and the visuals is a welcome change but sadly the core of the game is lacking. Expand
  72. Jul 17, 2012
    You can expect high critic scores when there's nothing technically wrong with the game. The biggest problem Shogun 2 has is the replay value. Sure, most games get old after a while... but TWS2 got old way too fast. Combine that with confusing tutorial that drags on and on without fully explaining the point and bad multiplayer with a terrible community.
  73. Jun 16, 2012
    In subjective way, I am very interested in samurai and japan history. Regardless of my interests, this game is awesome. What I see is not only about game, it's also about history. Moreover, it makes you feel like you are really running a country or a military clan.
  74. Jun 12, 2012
    The game is extremely good on the campaign and could easily become glued to it for hours. The graphics aren't the best I have seen but then again I am playing on a 42" TV, may I add HD for that matter :P

The only downfall to Shogun 2 is that the online is extremely poor!! The characters are not evenly matched. I had my general with no casualties taken out by Yari Ki, even though the Yari Ki have sustained casualties before battle, I find this extremely stupid as this is like top notch spear men getting wiped out by peasants!! If you want good online play stick to Napoleon Total war (I haven't played Shogun 1), but for a kick ass campaign stick with Shogun 2.

Another thing I didn't like about Shogun 2 is that melee infantry are pretty useless online (I have won with melee but was extremely hard), it's all about the line infantry just like Napoleon.

My verdict get Shogun 2 for campaign and Napoleon for online.
  75. Jun 11, 2012
    Brilliant atmosphere, immersing you in Japanese culture. Great and varied gameplay, lots of units, upgrades, and government management.

The online play, though, can be dodgy: with people farming their avatar level by rigging siege matches (for example, they will take nothing but gunmen on a multi-tiered castle and take infantry moral reducing abilities).
  76. Jun 10, 2012
    brilliant game,keeps you hooked for hours,tick drop in on campaign for other players to drop in as opposition in your battles, waiting for new pc before going live so i can play at max settings do not want to upset pros with slow computer loading & connection once i have im sure my score will go closer to 10
  77. May 30, 2012
    Excellent game. The blend of turn based and real time strategy is incredibly addictive. The battles are extremely fun, and the AI is well thought out. Multiplayer is fun too, but really just for playing with friends because the balancing in online match play doesn't really work.

Would be worthy of a 10, but it's got a few annoying bugs.
  78. May 29, 2012
    This game is single-player only. I loved shogun Total war, Medievil total war etc. when, and so I bought this sequal. It was pretty much the same game with some minor tweaks. capturing the European ship = complete sea control. Combat is the same. Graphics are a tad better. You can use questionable strategies, but vs the computer AI you win 100% of the time. Even when greatly outnumbered. IThis game is single-player only. I loved shogun Total war, Medievil total war etc. when, and so I bought this sequal. It was pretty much the same game with some minor tweaks. capturing the European ship = complete sea control. Combat is the same. Graphics are a tad better. You can use questionable strategies, but vs the computer AI you win 100% of the time. Even when greatly outnumbered. I could fight off an army of thousands of enemies with mearly 4-5 groups of units inside a basic fortification. I also found it odd that any upgrade to your fort beyond the 3rd upgrade made it harder to defend... So I never bothered to upgrade past a certain point. What a waste! Multi-player is botched, and the company does not listen to customer feed-back and churns out DLC until it's not longer profitable once they've alienated enough of their customers. I bought a DLC, I never received it though an error,and the customer support was LACKING! They agreed I bought it, but the content was not in my game once installed through some glitch. they basically said.. too bad. Not our problem. I will not be purchasing anything from this company ever again. Expand
  79. May 28, 2012
    5000 word limit, so I'll just knock this game straight in the face even though I'd like to get into the nuance of things.

I'll start with the good, which I will admit, justifies buying and playing the game for a couple of weeks. 1)The battles are very entertaining to watch in replay mode. 2)The loading screens are actually very enjoyable and contain an encyclopedic library of cool

1)The battles are very entertaining to watch in replay mode.

2)The loading screens are actually very enjoyable and contain an encyclopedic library of cool quotes and poetry.

3)The interface is well-thought out and easy on the eyes.

4)The music is fantastic, I suggest checking it out even if you don't buy the game.

The offline mode only really has one flaw I can see, but its huge. Huge enough to single-handedly flatten the offline game.

1) AUTORESOLVE THE BATTLE. BAM. GAME OVER.

You know all those months we spent coding this cool flocking engine? You know those awesome siege battles you wanted to play? Why bother? We've created this button to let you skip past them! Push this button, get your special hat. The princess isn't in another castle, she's in this one, and we've created a warp pipe straight to her at the beginning of 1-1 so you don't have to wind yourself out getting to her.

But multiplayer mode, which is nothing but tactical battles, must be good, right? Nope. Multiplayer is the coup de grace.

1)The Morale system does wacky things much more often than it should, mostly when Calvary or ashigaru units are involved.

2)The vet system is horribly, horribly broken. The extra stats you gain via it actually punishes you for slowly working up units in rank, because the extra stats they gain never....I repeat.....NEVER justify the extra money they require to deploy. 3)Calvary can be spammed in a variety of ways to give players an unfair advantage. The most obviously broken one is when you make them turn sharply, any units en route to attack them simply disengage and stand in place.

4)Naval battles are loooooooong for no good reason. The first 3 or 4 minutes of every.....single....match....is routinely spent just running your ships into the center of the map.

5)My personal favorite: if you lose connection to the game, you and your opponent both get full points for the match. It's actually more efficient to join games and keep disconnecting than it is to play out the entire thing.

I really want to like this game, I truly do. I've spent weeks and weeks trying to like it, clearing my mind, letting its finer points filter into my being. But the more I play multiplayer, the more I lose admiration for even the good things going for this game, because I began to wonder how anyone could make a game with such great assets but still have the scope of bugs and unevenness the multiplayer had. I thought surely I must not be understanding something, the game is just too subtle and I'm missing some major aspect of the gameplay.

But then I understood the pettiness of the problems that were left in. And then I realized, "Oh I see, they're just pulling it out of their ass" after hundreds of hours of gameplay, and I uninstalled it for the last time.

Shogun 2 is very much like being shown a grand, 5 bedroom 3 bath house with an island in the kitchen on an acre of manicured, terraced property, but when you try to turn on the water you realize the faucet doesn't connect to a pipe...and in fact the whole house doesn't have any plumbing. It's so incongruous with just basic everyday horse-sense that you sort of wince and think to yourself, "Maybe the house gets water in some unconventional beyond my peasant's understanding of the physical world." Unfortunately, its simply that the house, despite being modern and beautiful, has no plumbing. The emperor has no clothes. The game is a wreck.
  80. May 26, 2012
    One of the best games ruined by lobby dropping and debug camera cheating.Most people are not aware the developers known about 1% of users using a secret camera to get an advantage online and people dropping from game lobbies by pulling out the network cable to strand users in an emtpy lobby requiring a retstart and a huge load screen wait time.This can happen and can make getting games aOne of the best games ruined by lobby dropping and debug camera cheating.Most people are not aware the developers known about 1% of users using a secret camera to get an advantage online and people dropping from game lobbies by pulling out the network cable to strand users in an emtpy lobby requiring a retstart and a huge load screen wait time.This can happen and can make getting games a 15 minute process.There is also a huge change recently to the graphics engine due to the Fall of the samurai game changing graphics and breaking features such as gloss,HDR,DOF and draw distance alonside leaving many missing textures graphical bugs.So far 2 months on the only thing they fixed was the blood pack dlc which the patch also broke.There is no sign of the game being restored to how it used to look and how it looked when reviews were based on that content which sadly users no longer have access too.Simply awful work and a great RTS or probably the best RTS there ever was is now ruined by amatuer patch system and bad beta testers. Expand
  81. TIZ
    May 18, 2012
    Amazing game overall. Graphics best to date DX10 or 11, Gameplay slow but that's the fun of it, Story elements are like most strategy games good and satisfying when completing. Lots of new and extra features, amazing 3D rotatable map, actual night time fighting and amazing fight animations. This game deserves nothing less than a 10/10
  82. May 17, 2012
    Serious technical flaws mar this otherwise fun game. I really enjoy the complexity and flavor of the Civilization-esque over-map, though the battle map could use much more work. While it is impressive to see so many units on the field, the combat is dull an uninteresting with little tactical significance.

The game is buggy, and can have issues loading. I haven't ever experience a crash in game, but loading the game up I have many times.

Overall I am happy I bought the game while on sale, but would not pay full price due to the technical issues.
  83. May 13, 2012
    Well that was disappointing. How has the series moved on since Rome and Medieval total war? Not a lot really, same game different lick of paint. Adds nothing new what so ever. I have to say something about the engine too, there has been no improvement as far as I can see, It runs like a dog. If they released the same game but optimized it so that you could actually have the epic battlesWell that was disappointing. How has the series moved on since Rome and Medieval total war? Not a lot really, same game different lick of paint. Adds nothing new what so ever. I have to say something about the engine too, there has been no improvement as far as I can see, It runs like a dog. If they released the same game but optimized it so that you could actually have the epic battles that would be forgivable. Multi-player just turns into a slide show. Got this on a steam sale and really wish I hadn't. Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of Rome or Medieval 2 cheap, they beat the heck out of this re-skin. Expand
  84. May 10, 2012
    This game is the best Total war game to date. This Total war game does not have the best campaign to date but I can't explain why. The map has stunning visuals and a large variety of factions, maybe Im not as interested in Japan's history as I am in Napoleonic history. The actual battles are the what make the game. Shogun 2 has removed all of the problems of all the other total war games.This game is the best Total war game to date. This Total war game does not have the best campaign to date but I can't explain why. The map has stunning visuals and a large variety of factions, maybe Im not as interested in Japan's history as I am in Napoleonic history. The actual battles are the what make the game. Shogun 2 has removed all of the problems of all the other total war games. The game rewards attacking over defending(Crippling noob campers in multiplayer) by adding Keypoints in the centre of the map which give bonuses to the player that captures them. If a player captures all of the keypoints a counter begins which stops campers completely. This encourages players to rush for the centre, pretty much throwing all idea's of corner camping into the garbage. The sieges are just epic. Seiges have been limited to 20 minutes and attackers have been given more money to spend allowing the defenders to attack quickly instead of bombarding castles for an hour. Graphics are 5/5, Campaign 2.5/5 and gameplay is 4.5/5.

Also get Fall of the Samurai.
  85. Apr 29, 2012
    In all my multiple games the AI never lived up to the challenge of the old total war games.
    Battles do not need much planning. It is just holding your position. I have never encountered any surprise attacks by the AI.
  86. Apr 8, 2012
    Fun game. The tactical side of it is great. I tend to autoresolve a lot, but there's also RTS stuff for those who like it. Multiplayer is really fun when it works (I play in co-op games), but I had a problem with turns getting stuck and had to get my friend to send me his autosave file before we could continue. Worked fine after that. This far after release that kind of quality issueFun game. The tactical side of it is great. I tend to autoresolve a lot, but there's also RTS stuff for those who like it. Multiplayer is really fun when it works (I play in co-op games), but I had a problem with turns getting stuck and had to get my friend to send me his autosave file before we could continue. Worked fine after that. This far after release that kind of quality issue really isn't acceptable, and I'm docking points for it. Expand
  87. Mar 18, 2012
    Total War series game is the best of the best strategy game in human history,not one of ! I love Total War more than anything!Been playing since release, what can i say...i havnt slept...its pretty awesome, best total was since medieval 2! Looks amazing even tho theres no dx11 untill they patch it, then it'll be a 11/10!
  88. Mar 13, 2012
    The best total war game as of yet. The Japanese settings sucks you right in. Unlike empire total war the game offers a more rounded set of units. There are less units but the game is better for it. Shogun also brings something new to the table in the form of an online avatar which you can customize and level up. Once you level up you can select different retainers and skills which haveThe best total war game as of yet. The Japanese settings sucks you right in. Unlike empire total war the game offers a more rounded set of units. There are less units but the game is better for it. Shogun also brings something new to the table in the form of an online avatar which you can customize and level up. Once you level up you can select different retainers and skills which have effects in the online battles you play. All in all:

Sound: 10
    Gameplay: 10
    Graphics: 10 (You do need a beast of a PC to appreciate the full scope though)
  89. Mar 8, 2012
    If you are korean you probably like this game because it is real times strategy like stracraft. you are man in middle ages japan and you have to conquer all japan. First you pick which car company you want to be, like mistubishi or toyota, then you go to map off japan. on the map you are famous real life historical japanese person like hitohiro, jackie chan, or gengis kan. one thing isIf you are korean you probably like this game because it is real times strategy like stracraft. you are man in middle ages japan and you have to conquer all japan. First you pick which car company you want to be, like mistubishi or toyota, then you go to map off japan. on the map you are famous real life historical japanese person like hitohiro, jackie chan, or gengis kan. one thing is that even though this is real time stategy game the first map isn't, so if you wondering why you cant move your men or the computer doesnt do anything, it because you have to click the button first. also i think i get japanese version of game because when i click men they speak in japanese so i coundt understand the story. i give this game only 4/10 because you need to speak japanese to play. Expand
  90. Mar 6, 2012
    I use it as a benchmark when I put new hardware in my PC, I play it anyways because it is fun. No reason why not to buy, plus they are coming out with a new game (DLC if you own this one) that allows Rifles to battle with samurai.
  91. Mar 1, 2012
    The Total War series has always been going downhill since the release of Empire: Total War--not in terms of design and fun factor, but in terms of quality. The Creative Assembly has continued to put out blatantly BROKEN games that show no evidence of appropriate play-testing, since they have moved to their new engine after Medieval 2: Total War. Not only that, but the company completelyThe Total War series has always been going downhill since the release of Empire: Total War--not in terms of design and fun factor, but in terms of quality. The Creative Assembly has continued to put out blatantly BROKEN games that show no evidence of appropriate play-testing, since they have moved to their new engine after Medieval 2: Total War. Not only that, but the company completely ignores the cries of thousands of their paying customers, flooding their official forums for help, and simply lie that they are "looking into it" while 6 months pass, then a year passes, and nothing gets released except more paid DLC. With Empire, it was game-breaking tech tree bugs that remain unfixed to this day, THREE YEARS after its release. With Shogun 2, it is game-crippling multiplayer campaign desynchronizations that begin to occur about 1/5th of the way through a campaign without fail, forcing players through an arduous process of finding their last uncorrupted save file through a process of trail and error, and then completely re-do everything they accomplished in the last 5-10 turns from whenever that save file took place--or sharing and overwriting copies of save files in order to delay the desynch from inevitably reoccurring 2-3 turns later. The worst thing is that two friends playing coop are left to find all this out after they have already invested about 15-20 hours into a cooperative campaign only to find that it is literally impossible to finish their campaign, and that it basically ends when this bug rears its ugly head. Creative Assembly has intermittently acknowledged the issue after thousands upon thousands of complaints and bug reports from the community, but done NOTHING to put out a simple bugfix for this completely game-breaking and insanely frustrating bug, instead opting to allocate all their manpower towards continuing to crap out low-quality, meaningless DLC packs and even a NEW EXPANSION before they have even patched BASIC FUNCTIONALITY into this game since its release A YEAR AGO!

Shogun 2 has a great single-player experience. But its multiplayer campaign is completely broken and should not have even made it into the release version of the game. It is clear that they didn't even bother to have two employees play a whole campaign with each other before release to be able to spot this massive, glaring bug that happens for 90% of people who play the multiplayer campaign. I spent $100 on two copies of the game at release for me and my spouse to play the coop campaign together, and not only was it a complete waste then but a whole year later it remains a complete waste. The Creative Assembly has made it absolutely care that they do not care about their customers at all. And when a company does not care about their customers, they do not deserve customers.

I am giving this game a rating of 1 to offset all the perfect-10 ratings from single-player users and media who clearly did not attempt to finish a multiplayer campaign before publishing their reviews.
  92. Feb 14, 2012
    I recently obtained a copy of Shogun 2 and was expecting a similar format and playing platform as the other total war games. I was not so lucky. I now have to play a game over the inter-net and before I can play said game I have to down load it on to a web host from a DVD (which at last look had taken 9 hrs due to the updates) - whats the point? I now have 20 Gb of memory used that iaI recently obtained a copy of Shogun 2 and was expecting a similar format and playing platform as the other total war games. I was not so lucky. I now have to play a game over the inter-net and before I can play said game I have to down load it on to a web host from a DVD (which at last look had taken 9 hrs due to the updates) - whats the point? I now have 20 Gb of memory used that ia useless to me without an inter-net connection.
    If the graphics are as good as Medieval 2 then I am sure it will be a great play but not being able to play without being connected to the inter-net and all the cost and grief that produces is to this player a major failing for the player who wishes to play securely. Before any one shouts all content on line is corruptible and accessible - a pc not connected is safe.
    Why change the playing platform that has worked in earlier gasmes
  93. Feb 11, 2012
    My first total war game was Empire Total War a while back. Ever since I got it I became hooked on the series. Iv'e seen a lot of **** reviews for this same so far, and I have to strongly disagree with what they are saying. This is by far the best total war game that has come out yet. The graphics are amazing and pretty much look real with light bloom from a distance. The newMy first total war game was Empire Total War a while back. Ever since I got it I became hooked on the series. Iv'e seen a lot of **** reviews for this same so far, and I have to strongly disagree with what they are saying. This is by far the best total war game that has come out yet. The graphics are amazing and pretty much look real with light bloom from a distance. The new multi-player concept of making your own clan is genius and it is a game you will always go back to. I would recommend this to any strategy gamer because of its challenging concepts and high replay value. I do not recommend it for someone just starting to play total war or general strategy due to its challenging gameplay. Expand
  94. Feb 5, 2012
    Total War: Shogun 2 is a good game. Of course, I always have a bone to pick with games. The feeling of it is exactly like that of Empire/Napoleon: Total War. You have a city, you have a port (if the province is on the coast), you have farms, and you have support buildings. You have to manage your economy through trade and production within your own territory. You also have to decideTotal War: Shogun 2 is a good game. Of course, I always have a bone to pick with games. The feeling of it is exactly like that of Empire/Napoleon: Total War. You have a city, you have a port (if the province is on the coast), you have farms, and you have support buildings. You have to manage your economy through trade and production within your own territory. You also have to decide whether or not you want to stick with with traditional religion of Shinto-Buddhism, or convert to Christianity when you trade with the nanban (Europeans). The combat is very similar to all of the other games (except they give you pre-made formations you can use) and the game keeps the tradition of solid combat alive.
    While the graphics are a HUGE improvement (they are absolutely gorgeous), the gameplay is something that is still likable and enjoyable, the creators made the game a little too difficult for my liking. I'm a person who likes to develop provinces up, get a ton of gold in reserve, build huge armies, and send them out to conquer the territory peacemeal while leaving token garrisons behind. It's a sound strategy and it works, but the game doesn't give you enough time to really flesh the game out. It feels like to me that the game's over right when it's beginning. You either have to settle with groups of small armies going after each other and picking off small provinces one by one, leaving little development in the process, or fail. I'd like the game more if they lengthened the time span of the campaign (possibly doubling it). I'm sure there's a mod for that, but I'm not going to poke around to look for one. Why can't they make sliders for game length? That way if you want to give yourself more of a challenge, you can do the short or long campaigns in more or less time. Make the game more customizable.
    Also the diplomacy screens are ridiculous. Even on easy, the AI doesn't like to negotiate... at all. I'm crushing these two clans in a war and when I offer a peace treaty because I want to go pound on my ever-growing neighbor, they won't bother to make peace. I even try to throw away money and marriage offers and still nothing. Then 5 turns later, another person declares war on me. For casual gamers like me, this is frustrating. I've tried a couple of different campaigns and even when I wasn't shogun, it felt like everyone was ganging up on me for the sake of it. It feels like the game doesn't want me to win. I know that's part of the challenge and a lot of people like it, but when a game becomes oppressive, it takes the fun out of it.
  95. Jan 28, 2012
    The Total War series has a history of producing ground-breaking, innovative games that cater specifically to the RTS/strategy fans. Games like Rome and Empire are huge, enjoyable, full of strategic depth, and well polished. Shogun 2 unfortunately fits more into the category of Medieval 2. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad game and it's better than any other RTS game on the market rightThe Total War series has a history of producing ground-breaking, innovative games that cater specifically to the RTS/strategy fans. Games like Rome and Empire are huge, enjoyable, full of strategic depth, and well polished. Shogun 2 unfortunately fits more into the category of Medieval 2. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad game and it's better than any other RTS game on the market right now, but its just not a great game that deserves the 90 critic score that it has received. This has forced me to sometimes wonder if I'm playing the same game as the critics...
    The biggest problem I have with the game is that the same problems and bugs that were with Empire are still with this game. Diplomacy is a laughable exercise at best and completely worthless at worst. The best strategy for avoiding war is to not have a border with a country, even valued allies will forget your excellent standing with them and declare war on you if you so much as have a common border and getting a country to accept a diplomatic proposal is almost as bad as pulling teeth.
    The AI is as painfully stupid as it was in the previous games and I think they realized this and have now made drop-in battles by human players standard, but good luck trying to find someone to play with and finding someone near your difficulty level. But even if you have the coveted luck with the battles the AI is still as stupid as ever on the campaign map and since they don't have monetary restrictions to worry about all strategy goes out the window. It feels like you are playing alone instead of with a worth-while opponent, and if you turn up the difficulty the AI doesn't get better, they are just given more units to throw at you which results in attrition based wars rather than strategic depth.
    But the AI problems don't just stop with the computer players, be sure to keep an eye on your own soldiers in battle or else they will be more dangerous to your army than the opposition. Archers seem to be particularly guilty of this and if you don't micro-manage them they will tear up your own front lines even more so than the enemies. There was a bug in previous games where your archers wouldn't follow your attack orders, they would simply fire on the closest enemy, that bug is back and as annoying now as it was then. It is almost funny to watch then firing on a shattered infantry unit, killing more of your own infantry than the enemy's, while a cavalry unit about to run them down...
    The units are the same for almost every faction and this means there is very little depth in fielding a varied army, just load up on samurai and send them off to battle, and replenishment is back which means waiting 5 turns in between each battle. Naval battles are back and they are improved, but they are also more boring. Fighting with non-gunpowder vessels when compared to the huge and varied ships-of-the-line from Empire has very little strategy, especially when an entire battle consists of ordering your ships to board the other ships.
    The graphics are excellent, but that's no surprise as Total War games have always had stellar graphics for their time. The in-game interface is also excellent, it takes some time to get to know it but the wealth of information is a welcome breathe of fresh air from the previous titles. But at the same time the game feels stiff, this may just be because my PC isn't the top of the line but that just means if you don't have the best PC out there you will be greeted with a sticky interface.
    The game map has plenty of provinces, but it feels small compared to the huge map of Europe from Rome and half the world from Empire. The provinces are also very similar, and though there are special resources they don't really play a huge strategic role other than money. Japan is a thin country and therefore the strategy is the same with almost every faction, conquer a strip of land, set up two fronts and expand. This also results in the game being painfully short, while there can be 20-some factions at the beginning (only 9 playable), in 5 years there will be half that and in another 5 years half that again. So in less than 10 years the game will be down to 4 or 5 factions. Which is a shame because the second half of the game is definitely the best, the units get more varied and the battles get bigger but there is less to enjoy.
    So what should you make of Shogun? Well since I have taken the entire 5000 world limit to rate it you can place it higher on your list of games to play, even though it's annoying at times it can also be very fun and I caught glimpses of better previous games at times. This is perhaps the game's greatest flaw, it will always be compared to excellent previous titles, but it's still a Total War game and if you get into it you will easily get 50 hours of game play.
  96. Jan 23, 2012
    This game reminds me why I still play Rome Total War and Medieval Total War 2. I feel like I'm an eight year old playing an eight year old's strategy game with beautiful graphics. I played the game for about thirty hours. Found it boring. Went back to Rome and Medieval with Europa Barbarorum and Stainless Steel mods. If you like shallow strategy games, this one's for you.
  97. Jan 22, 2012
    As a complicated strategy it may be good. Maybe the best in 2011. But I'm a regular player that digests all genres and this game didn't appealed to me. It was too difficult, too complicated and did not offer as much fun as I expected it to give me. Maybe with it's developer on my back I would have understood it better. I regret that such a good game doesn't offer much for interested butAs a complicated strategy it may be good. Maybe the best in 2011. But I'm a regular player that digests all genres and this game didn't appealed to me. It was too difficult, too complicated and did not offer as much fun as I expected it to give me. Maybe with it's developer on my back I would have understood it better. I regret that such a good game doesn't offer much for interested but not so strategy-oriented players... Expand
  98. Jan 6, 2012
    Very fun game. The learning curve is a little patchy and the tutorial for the game could have been much better (I have played no previous Total War games). It needs to explain things like friendly fire from archers, charge bonuses, attacking from two directions, campaign strategy, and so on. I also found the graphics to be a little disappointing for a 2011 game - grass sprites will popVery fun game. The learning curve is a little patchy and the tutorial for the game could have been much better (I have played no previous Total War games). It needs to explain things like friendly fire from archers, charge bonuses, attacking from two directions, campaign strategy, and so on. I also found the graphics to be a little disappointing for a 2011 game - grass sprites will pop into and out of view, etc. However once you get into the game it's rewarding, engrossing and balanced. Expand
  99. Dec 31, 2011
    This is a great game. It's possibly the best strategy game ever made. It runs smoothly even on older hardware. I can't say enough good things about it.
  100. Dec 30, 2011
    This game is playable, however the in game tutorials left me asking friends how to do many of the world view options such as factions and what various icons and numbers meant. As well, the actual fighting is severely flawed. I would tell my archers to attack a unit but they would remain firing at a single enemy who was behind cover and impossible to kill, no matter how many times IThis game is playable, however the in game tutorials left me asking friends how to do many of the world view options such as factions and what various icons and numbers meant. As well, the actual fighting is severely flawed. I would tell my archers to attack a unit but they would remain firing at a single enemy who was behind cover and impossible to kill, no matter how many times I clicked on attack the enemies right next to the single unit that were in the open. The combat aspects of the game would be considered good 6 years ago. Expand
  101. Mar 15, 2011
    Totally immense. Been waiting for this ages for ages, at last it is here and I just can't put it down! The graphics are sensational, out of this world! The siege battles were just amazing, probably the best bit of the whole game! I literally cannot put it down, I don't think I will be leaving the house for the next few weeks!

1. Jul 14, 2011
    There is a je ne sais quoi elegance on how the game is presented and how well put together the game as an entire corpus is. Although it's still mired by some version 1.0 bugs, Shogun is highly playable and deserves a place on any Total War fan's hard drive.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    May 22, 2011
    Beautiful, complex and varied historical strategy which offers hours of fun in single player and multiplayer modes. [Issue#203]
    The mix of turn based strategy (with economical, political and diplomatic ramifications) and real time battles is still wonderful, but the need to balance timing and aggression is more important than ever. Aggressive players will feel a little cheated, while diplomats will hate Realm Divide stage. Still, Total War was always about realism and the AI's scripted actions make logical and historical sense.