6.6

1. Dec 26, 2013
    My buddy got this in a bundle for us to play when we were bored. It's pretty unplayable at the moment, which is pretty unfortunate considering there's not a lot of head to head tower defense games, so i was slightly excited to play this. Every time anything involving the game is clicked, whether it be host match, start match, load match, switch map, pretty much anything, the game goes into "not responding" and you end up having to wait anywhere between 1-10 minutes for it to actually get out of the "not responding". Both me and my buddy had the same issue, there's no computer problem, i haven't experienced this in any other game i've played, and i play a lot of video games. Expand
  2. Dec 9, 2013
    I had a lot of fun with this one. Figuring out how the different mechanics in the game was neat, and the game mechanics themselves are very interesting. There are some interesting choices to be had here. And, there's a lot going on in every match.

Still, there are a lot of small issues that add up to the game not realizing its full potential.

The game really throws you in the deep
    end when you start out. I lost for four hours straight against the easiest AI while I learned to play, and I've played a whole lot of tower defense games before. So it's not very friendly to new players.

As you get more experienced in the game, however, it's not your skill that starts to hold you back, it's the interface. Moving units around in the queue is awkward, and the queue itself is very unresponsive. To load up a Trojan horse, I typically have to click on the horse icon 4 or 5 times to get it to respond. This is inexcusable in a competitive game.

I absolutely love the tower wars mechanics, and it's a lot of fun to play. But ultimately, there are too many flaws for this to be a good game.
  3. Oct 31, 2013
    Bought on steam, the game crashes to desktop from the first loading screen. AVOID this POS and those associated with it.Bought on steam, the game crashes to desktop from the first loading screen. AVOID this POS and those associated with it.Bought on steam, the game crashes to desktop from the first loading screen. AVOID this POS and those associated with it.Bought on steam, the game crashes to desktop from the first loading screen. AVOID this POS and those associated with it.Bought on steam, the game crashes to desktop from the first loading screen. AVOID this POS and those associated with it.Bought on steam, the game crashes to desktop from the first loading screen. AVOID this POS and those associated with it.Bought on steam, the game crashes to desktop from the first loading screen. AVOID this POS and those associated with it.Bought on steam, the game crashes to desktop from the first loading screen. AVOID this POS and those associated with it.

orctowmgrot
  4. Oct 17, 2013
    i believe this game is still in beta and will need much more work before it is going to be a good game hardly no map selection available 3 maps and online is depressing i would not buy again
  5. Sep 5, 2013
    as the name states, its a tower defense game. got it from a bundle so i was curious how it is. well the graphics are sweet, thats the good part. there are only 3 different maps, and they arent so large either so it gets boring after a short amount of time. the controls are weird and annoying if youre trying to build fast. the tutorial for noobs only explains the basics, multiplayer seems to be dead already.
    when youre lucky to find a match, you either play vs a complete autist or a 578347593845 skill guy whos playing day&night. pretty bad matchmaking.

maybe its fun in coop, but all together its far away from being as good as warcraft 3 tower defense mods that i loved to play.

7€ are not much, but because of the few maps and dead multiplayer, even this seems to be overpriced.
  6. AWG
    Aug 9, 2013
    Terrible framing, chaotic gameplay, ridicolous tutorial... and no single player mode. Yeah, what about no?
  7. Jul 25, 2013
    Tower Wars is a tower defense multiplayer game, which was not rally fun for me. You build a lot of towers and can upgrade them. Then you send your troops, which you can also upgrade, and then you wait and look, how there are walking to the base of your enemy to destroy it. Then there is your enemy, which does principle the same. It's monotone and boring for me. There are many tower defense games, which are much better! Expand
  8. Jun 28, 2013
    The game had a lot of potential. That's why I bought it. Well, okay it was cheap that's also why I bought it. And I played it loads. It was kinda addictive. Though not in a good way. See, you get addicted cos you get determined to stop being a doormat, and having high level guys walk all over you. So you practice and practice and practice, and lo and behold, you start winning more games than you lose. Great. Problem is, there are so few strategies and the game just become this frantic race to level up to certain troops. Its actually pretty stressful. And not fun. Which surely ranks fairly high in any list of criterion for what makes a 'game'. But there are some guys who really really love it. Perhaps it might get better. It certainly needs more than the 4 maps currently employed in the main 1 v 1, ranked game. Expand
  9. Jun 25, 2013
    Beautiful graphics thats all ...Singleplayer is low, only 3 maps to play, and multiplayer rules is not good. For exam when u set 2vs1 in multiplayer team of to have 2xgain of gold, and 2xgain of battle points. It´s unreal to beat team of 2 or 3 with only one player ....wasting timme this game
  10. May 31, 2013
    Rude developers who shut down all dissent on forums and NO SINGLEPLAYER ruin what otherwise could have been a nice title. As it is it's a borefest missing major game modes that any other modern tower defense or even moba style game would have.
    This game had a high potential and failed hard. SupervillainStudios are ungrateful jerks. Don't give them your money.
  11. Mar 13, 2013
    Many people didn't get the point of this game. Yes it might not be so obvious for new players and means that you must perseverate to learn the basics. Ok the single player content is poor... Well it's already a blessing there is one. Come on people, game used to be 10 times harder and with 10 times less content! Do you need everything to be explained? There are fan videos out there! The whole strength of this game lies with the multiplayer. It is one of the most addictive game I have played in the past 10 years. Those guys are better than many top notch studios. They got the point. Keep it simple yet deep. One of the main reason why people don't buy the game is because of the 59/100 rating this website gives. But still there are many strong opponents out there. Many new players too. Try it out, you won't regret it! See you in-game! Expand
  12. Feb 20, 2013
    Tower Wars is right up my alley simply because I get to fight real intelligence instead of predictable AIs. Don't get me wrong, I'm a sucker for classic TDs as well, and have completed just about every popular version out there, but to get real longevity you just need to fight real people. This game provides that.

Also, the bugs and shortcomings posted at launch are pretty much fixed by
    now. The game is bug free, new maps have been added, and the coop-mode people asked for was added months ago. I see little reason not to buy this game now, if you are a fan of TDs or TWs you will get loads of fun out of this title, for a great price to boot. See ya in-game! Expand
  13. Nov 28, 2012
    Very good game ! I love the idea of a tower defense where you have to attack you opponents too. Lacks a few functionalities like being able to play against AI but still great ! :)
  14. Oct 9, 2012
    Seriously, you guys complain about low number of maps and short singleplayer? It's like complaining that theres little maps in Dota 2 and no singleplayer. It's ridiculous. This game is about multi and online battles. Singleplayer mode is a plus of its own. And it surely is no Beta! It didn't crash once, which is something that rarely happens with todays software. The mines are placed randomly which brings just enough twist. It will take you weeks to learn to play single map anyways.
    It is true, that its harsh to beginners and kind of stressfull, as you have to do a lot of things simultaneously. Therefore a reduce my rating from 10 to 8.
  15. Sep 1, 2012
    FINALLY! Someone made an actual Tower Wars game! The mods were so much fun, so it's awesome that SuperVillain made an actual game to pretty much officially kick off the genre (I think?)! Basically, not only do you set up your towers and maze to defend, but you send out your own armies to attack the other castle! Lots of units to unlock and upgrade by using an RTS system (tech tree). And the humor is a nice touch too. Who doesn't love a robot named Stanley Clunkerbottom? The meat of the experience is the multi-player for sure! It supports local hosted and ranked matches, so you can play with friends until you're ready to head out into a ranked match. 2v2 is probably my favorite, and the game goes all the way up to 3v3 (and 1v1 of course). And there IS a single player "Classic" mode, which is like other normal Tower Defense games where you just defend as long as you can. But this thing REALLY shines in multi-player modes that it's built for!

And, for what it's worth, the game is gorgeous if you have a gaming PC with some muscle. But it also lets you customize all settings for weaker machines too, and even looks pretty good at lower settings. Looks like a miniatures set up! I want to play this in real life!

Highly recommended for fans of Tower Defense, RTSs, Table-Top Games, or multi-player with friends! Oh, and for $10? No brainer!
  16. Aug 25, 2012
    Very disappointing as the core of the game is not available in single player. It s an interesting concept and realization but way to poor in single player to be worthy a acquisition.
  17. Aug 21, 2012
    As far as Tower Defense games goes it is quite good. If you are familiar with the Tropical Tower Wars mod for Warcraft III you would feel right at home. The major glaring problem I have with this game is the lack of AI available to play against in a single player mode. The learning curve is steep for a TD game (due to income, upgrading and battle point denying) and it would be nice to be able to hone your skills against some good AI instead of having to go PVP. Sadly the only single player mode is a classic TD where you try to defeat waves. It is boring and gets old fast. Taking into account that you can get better classic tower defense games online for free (I.e. Gemcraft, Cursed Treasure), I feel that this game was a terrible disappointment. Being able have a game by yourself or with friends against AI would elevate this score much more. Hopefully there will be a patch in the future that rectifies this mistake. Expand
  18. Aug 19, 2012
    Just left me wanting more, too few maps, fun for a brief amount of time then gets old fast. Hopefully it will be developed more and then may be worth the 10$ they are asking...
  19. Aug 19, 2012
    This game is pretty good. At first i thought the game was a bit slow but as soon as you learn new tactics you can easily win quite fast. The game is only going to get better, since the developers are currently working on updates which will dramatically improve the game for many people. If you even slightly considered buying the game I would do so. However I would definitely buy it if it comes on sale in the future. Expand
  20. Aug 18, 2012
    Not a typical TD game in that the game play is mostly focused on player versus player instead of player vs AI. You create a wave of attackers while trying to fend off enemy waves using your own towers. There is a limited single player mode where you play against an AI that sends endless waves of progressively harder enemies. This mode is more of a time-attack as you can never "win".

Games take a long time to play out, even when you are losing badly. When you start to lose, the enemy waves get a little closer each time. It is a painfully slow way to go. My first game had me losing pretty badly because I had no idea what I was doing. Even so, it would have taken another 10 minutes for the other player to finish me off.

Rather than wait for my inevitable defeat, I left the game (there is no surrender option). For that, I got a rage quit achievement ... so thanks for that.

If there was a single player or co-op campaign mode, I would have given a higher score. TD versus players kind of feels like a really simplified RTS. If you've always wanted to play TD with a friends, this is for you. If you like classic TD, skip it.
  21. Aug 16, 2012
    Do not be fooled. COOP usually means Players vs AI. This is not the case. It's all PvP. No coop in a Tower Defense game. This pretty much summarizes my thoughts. The lack of coop (multiple players against the AI) is unacceptable for a TD game. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooperative_gameplay
  22. Aug 16, 2012
    I think this game is still the beta version and will be updated regularly. My first impression is very positive...the graphics look really good, the gameplay is smooth and the sound fits perfectly. You have a COOP-Mode, you can play 1 Vs 1, 2 Vs 2 and 3 Vs 3, random teams and custom ones. When you start playing, take 15 minutes for the tutorial mission! Then start a multiplayer game or the single player mode. There are only few maps (so far I can see there are 3) and there is still a lot balancing work to do (custom coop-teams against random coop-teams are unfair, matchmaking systems needs an improvement)! But the developers are on a good way and due to the steam based ranking system, the motivation is pretty high! Expand
  23. Aug 18, 2012

Interesting variation of the tower defense genre suffers from chaotic gameplay and an absence of single-player mode. [Oct 2012]
  2. Sep 25, 2012
    Tower Wars looks colorful and steampunk-y, but doesn't offer much. Three maps, one race… And this is in a multiplayer-oriented game?
  3. Sep 17, 2012
    Tower Wars feels as if it were designed specifically for hardcore strategists. With a tutorial that skips important concepts and the tendency for matches to become one sided, the result is an uncomfortable and frustrating experience for beginners.