5.0

1. Sep 29, 2013
    Graphics is good,the Only noticable thing they've added is XP,but even it does not work propertly.
    Awesome achievements and cities.Graphic is for good compters max windows 7 good graphic card and monitor.
  2. Oct 2, 2013
    Smoother graphics performance, running smooth on maxed settings. The new routes are highly enjoyable but the feature I've most enjoyed is being able to use the Google Maps API to add an overlay in the Editor, this has made it much easier to be able to create a real world route to a much better degree of accuracy.
  3. Apr 20, 2014
    Just a fantastic rail sim, Its the best that money can buy atm if you like simulation games this is for you, esp if you love trains. Even ppl with there own modal trains and routes i.e layouts will simply love this sim, theres a mission system built into it aswell so you will see and feel like you earn your way threw the ranks i give this game 10/10. and if you finish and complete all the tasks and scenarios inc tutorials and fancy somthing diff, a alittle more chalanging or simply want to try new routes or locos, well theres atleast 3000 pounds worth of dlc out there probbly more then atleast, id say 1000 plus hours im sure its an understatment some dlc will set you back 30 pounds but you will get a fair bit for your money, and some will set you back 4.99 again you will get hours of play time. They have lots of offers aswell for e.g atm they have an offer were you get 8 packs including the game alll for just 24.99 and your saving like 100 to 150 pounds bargen if you ask me.plus you can make your own routes and scenarios if and with the workshop includid with this game you can upload your own content or download other users content the game is limitless i hope you all enjoy this sim in the same way i do ive spent atleas 100 pound on this game and im nowere near board. Expand
  4. Jun 26, 2014
    Madre mía este juego, me lo he comprado 2 veces. Pagaría por un DLC sin pensarlo. Mis dos tarjetas gráficas soportan este pedazo de motor gráfico.
  5. Sep 29, 2013
    Better graphics, better physics, most of the bugs from TS 2013 are fixed. New UI. TS 2014 is much better then 2013. The only thing that i dont like is that the driving HUD is the same since TS 2012
  6. Jan 29, 2014
    I think it's a little shameful that people give this game such a hard time and so many negative reviews.

The most common point which people pick on about this game (or simulator if you will) is DLC prices. Yes they are very expensive, I won't deny that, but you have to only expect it's price for how much work goes into these. Dovetail games are not a huge company like EA or Infinity
    Ward for example where they have huge teams of developers working on a DLC all at once to increase the work speed, they're a small company with probably only 50 employee's (if even that!) and they have to make all of these from scratch.

For a route they have to map and lay 50-100miles of track which takes time, and then build all the signals, junctions, scenery etc along the way. For a locomotive they have to completely 3D model the engine from the ground up and then fully texture, and build the sound files for.

I think personally they have done a fantastic job with this simulator and it's definitely the best train simulator out there. Sure there are quite a lot of things they can do to make the game better, but people are expecting way too much way too fast from a company of this size.

Disclaimer: This is my opinion and my opinion alone. You can choose to agree or disagree but please don't make an argument out of it.
  7. Nov 5, 2013
    Having played MSTS for a number of years i was a bit skeptical about buying this game having heard mixed opinions about it, the other day there was a flash sale so i thought "why not".

Long story short, I'm really enjoying this game, i have bought a few add ons and while some are better than others i would say that overall this is a more than worthy successor to the aging MSTS.

I can
    understand what the other people have said regarding certain issues and some lack of realism but overall i think the good outweighs the bad and with yearly upgrades, it can only get better! Expand
  8. Mar 22, 2014
    When I first bought the game in 2013, I loved the variety and the detail from the start, the game was very simple to play unless you did a hard scenario. As I drove in several DLC trains I noticed the attention to detail, from the cab rocking around to shadows moving inside it. The sounds were also great and perfectly matched everything you did. Another great game feature was the editor. I looked at some YouTube tutorials and soon knew how to use it. With it you could create and share scenarios (missions) and create custom routes with objects from others. The one problem I noticed in the game that existed in 2013 and still does in 2014 is the lack of content used. There is a huge amount and variety of DLC available from routes to locomotives, and all for a reasonable price. Yet none of the DLC mixed and matched and some parts of the DLC wasn't even used in game scenarios! In order to mix and use unused items you had to go into the editor section and create a free roam scenario, taking 3-10 minutes.

Though it did lag on my old computer I got a lot of enjoyment out of it until one day when I went to start the game it said: ERROR: missing executable. This confused me so I went into the game files and launched the installers in repair mode. When that didn't work I removed the game from my computer and re-installed it. That didn't work so I just gave up and hoped it would work on my other computer. I am yet to see if it does.
  9. Apr 4, 2014
    I bought the game some years ago while it was still being marketed as Railworks, and have yet to be majorly disappointed by it. It offers a generally realistic driving experience (My father worked on the railways, so I should know) with correct signalling, and excellent AI capabilities. Most users complain that the AI is useless- This is generally because they don't understand that no accurate simulator can handle over 10 trains being routed over a certain piece of track in a minute! You have to remember that the game is targeted at an incredibly specific group of people and , while definitely not being perfect (Customer support does not exist, scenery is often reused in earlier routes...) it is certainly the best simulator currently on the market. Expand
  10. May 12, 2014
    A good simulator both for new and seasoned players of train sim. Could have more work done to it and also for the price get more trains/maps. Or make the DLC maps and trains slightly cheaper. But overall a good fun simulator.
  11. Apr 24, 2014
    Game is good. But as said, It does not appeal to everyone. I personally like the game and its good but I wish that routes had better prices. E.G. GARL (Glasgow Airport Rail Link) is £20 off steam but is only about 20 miles max. (30 minutes terminus to terminus) while the Portsmouth line (a lot longer, 60 miles +) is the same price. Thus meaning you can get more for less but you could think about it as less for more. Another problem is the DLC. There is a major bug in the game meaning that you can access some trains and wagons that you would usually have to pay for. Although there are no scenarios for them they are accessible via other ways from the main menu. 1 annoying bug is with London to Brighton where (especially East Croyden P1) if you stop at the appropriately marked car stop 4 sign with a 4 car trains only the doors towards the back open. If you stop at the 10 car sign with a 10 car train only the rear carriages open again. Thus meaning you fail the station stop and there will be no in cab door open/close light meaning you can pull away with the doors open. If these bugs were fixed and the routes more affordable then I think this game could go far but for now it needs a lot of improvement Expand
  12. Oct 18, 2013
    Little improvements over the previous game, but nice that you can upgrade for free. What I hate is the DLC system. You would have to pay thousands to have every scenario! Plenty of broken scenarios too. Needs massive improvement!
  13. Dec 7, 2013
    I've played every train simulation game ever since Microsoft Train Simulator in 2001. What can I say about this game? Well, it looks nice and some of the sounds are great, but not all of them. Many of the horns, bells, and other sounds are heavily recycled into various locomotives (Both default and DLC) which is unrealistic and shows the developers are slacking. The train cars are way too quiet, but 3rd party developers have fixed that. There are many unrealistic physics in the game regarding controlling the train over grades and the slacking between the cars, but some of the routes are very scenic and enjoyable. The nice graphics and scenery come at a price, though. I have a good PC that runs most of the current-gen racing games at maximum settings and 70-80FPS with minimal demands on my PC, but this game just hogs all your computer's resources just to have medium-low end settings and 35 FPS at best. A train game should be less demanding than a game where a car is going 200 mph down city streets. This is poor programming on their part.

The scenarios are a joke! None of them follow realistic train operations (At least the North American route DLCs) which I think is unfair for the North American users of the game. Many of the scenarios do not even cover the entire route and recycle the same rolling stock over and over again which takes away the authentic feeling of the railroad your running on. The DLC is way too expensive and the route editing tools are neat, but way too complicated compared to Trainz Simulator's easy surveyor mode. It's the same game re-released every year with different enhancements that are no more than a glorified patch and these updates "break" older content both paid DLC and user-created content.

I'm giving this game a 5 because the game looks nice and has some good moments, but the scenarios do not simulate the actual railroad's operations (at least for the US routes) and there are glitches in certain parts of the game that have never been fixed ever since the first installment was released (Rail Simulator back in 2008). The DLC is too expensive for the amount of recycled content and sounds they include. It costs too much money to get what you really want out of this game when the other train sims out there have 1000s of free 3rd party content items to create your own railroading experience.

This game is good for if you want to run one of the default routes to pass some time, but my suggestion, if you like trains (like me) and you have money, your better off spending your money to build a your own model railroad. It's much more rewarding and fun than this sim is.

If you want a really realistic railroad sim (With multiplayer), Run 8 is a much better train simulator defiantly worth checking out over this!
  14. Nov 23, 2013
    Buen potencial, mecánica de juego entretenida, bueno para descubrir el mundo de los trenes, pero demasiados bugs, algunos muy graves, que afectan gravemente a la jugabilidad.
    Hubiera jugado muchas mas horas si el juego hubiese estado más pulido. Eso es dinero perdido.
  15. Nov 8, 2013
    Game has potential, but needs a lot of work. Very expensive, with devs that offer little help. The developers focus on pushing out new products/add ons, reselling third party developer products, and not on improving past products. Much of the older DLC, which goes for the same price as the stuff just released, have many issues. Such as the NEC and Acela, a big disappointment. Their support system is faulty, they ask you to email them back when they respond (to that email) and you usually never get a response. If you want to invest into this game, expect to pay a lot, and get little in support. Almost everything is half done, and will probably never be properly fixed nor completed.

Takeaway: Don't buy this game. Does it work? Yes, but it leaves a lot to be desired, and the DLC is way too expensive, with prices that never drop with time.
  16. Dec 30, 2013
    This game's "maiden name" is Rail Simulator, released by EA in 2007. It had the highest number of bugs and unfinished "skeleton" features that i ever seen in a game.
    The most of this bugs aren't touched since that, however the game's source code is bought from EA in 2009 by a small group of the developers who founded a new studio called Railsimulator.com (RSC).
    They re-released Rail
    Simulator under a new name "Railworks" then RSC promised big improvements fixes for the bugs, and finishing the unfinished features. However 95% of these bugs still isn't fixed. The game got another new name, "Train Simulator" series, and the developers release a new minor patch in every year, as a new game...
    However it got some nice improvements along the years, all concentrating on eye candy: superelevation, new graphics engine (replacing a severely outdated graphics engine with a simply outdated one), menu changes, force effects (train body sway, driver head movements).
    But the AI is still just as dumb when as it was in 2007, which makes the game really boring, as heavy traffic with lot of train crossings, are not possible with it. (The totally free hobbyst made Openrails have far better AI, where you mostly just simply put the trains on the tracks, set their goals, and the AI solves the crossings, watings, everything, in TS2014 you need to tell every step to the dumb game and if you do then it still writes "unresolveable clash", "unreachable path", or just the trains crash to each other...)

The other big and unchanged problem is the physics. It's crude, lacks of important features, and bugged, and this takes the "Simulator" title of this game, as it's physics doesn't/falsely simulate the basic aspects of trains...

Also on developer side the 3D interface support is a big ZERO. For example in 3D cabs if you want to make functional LCD displays (which are quite popular on modern rolling stock), you can do this: move/rotate objects by animations, or hide/unhide objects, so if you want to make a digital speed display you need to make 3x 10 surfaces each textured with one digit (0 to 9) and hide/unhide when it's necessary... Which means if you want to make some advanced features for ingame rolling stock, it will be hard and messy work, with even more bugs. The content development for this game is all about workarounds, compromises, resignation (isn't possible in game, can't be perfect becaus of bugs).

Also the developers won't fix the smaller problems, even if it would take 5 min to fix, just send back the automatic template message "your comments are passed to our development team", but nothing will happen. I know, i've sent a batch of bug reports with possible solutions in 2010 march (and sent these again and again in every half year since that), but none of these have fixed.
  17. Nov 20, 2013
    I’ve said it many times before but I’ll say it again… In order for simulation to be interesting it has to be fun and although contain the fundamentals of realism it needs to have some element of wackiness to be interesting! Think about it, driving a simulated train for hours on end for one route is a boring waste of time! “Theme Hospital” was a whacky cartoony simulation that contained the realism of a hospital but mixed with great humour! However these style simulators are just incredibly boring video games; this could only appeal to someone who absolutely loves trains and is willing to spend a fortune on new routes and trains! Expand
  18. Jun 9, 2014
    TS-2014 is a Dog, slow to load ,Frame rate lousy ;I'm taking mine back for a refund.1 out of 10.!!!!!!!! what more an I say about the Sim . It **** stinks - the clowns at steam should give the game away, they have no **** Idea !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  19. Oct 17, 2013
    Pretty to look at but a nightmare to use seriously.. If you wan to run pretty overpriced DLC models around rather generic looking routes this is for you.. If you expect remotely prototypical signalling, the sense of weight in your train or any sense of physics avoid like the plague.. Support is non existent every year it gets relaunched whilst bugs from year one still remain glaring you in the face.. Every single DLC comes complete with bugs and broken scenarios.. Expand
  20. Dec 6, 2013
    Ok so i admit i am a secret Train fan, so this simulator is is something i was interested in. I Bought the original Railworks way back in time, so have gone through the motions of Steam Updating the game every year. This money making game is far from perfect, the game is prone to bugs and random crashes. Customer support from Railsimulator and third party developers is non existant. The new features to add your own created content is advised against, as i have seen and heard reports that third party developers will try and threaten you with legal action if your creation in any way resembles there product.

The Community is probably the worst i have come across for any game i have been involved with. Say something critical and expect a backlash from the community threatening you and anyone else they can find who know you. I gave the game a 1 rating because it has so much potential if the developers drop the greed attitude and focused on customers. But at the moment i would suggest to stay well clear of this game, not only because of the high DLC price but also due to the attitude of the community.

To give you some idea of how greedy this game has become, the main modding website that promotes freeware is subscription based!. And everyone from the age of 12 expects to be paid for there work.
  21. Dec 11, 2013
    Changes name annually but no significant improvement since 2012. - Extremely lackluster realism level. - Barely any content out of the box. Nearly unplayable without DLC. - Small, buggy portions of DLC cost more than full featured games. - Can't change loco skin/livery. Each livery requires full price re-purchase of loco DLC. - Doesn't simulate collisions/derailments. - Have to re-adjust camera angle every time you switch between front/back of train.
    - All achievements were wiped out, now only attainable with DLC.
    - Company has a poor track record of fixing bugs.
    - Company covers up legit reviews deleted entire steam forum to hide bad reviews.
    - Company flags negative steam reviews as abusive/off-topic.
  22. Mar 9, 2014
    I don't know what's more disappointing about this simulator, the total price for all it's DLC's or the incredible amount of bugs. You may think, why don't you just pay for the DLC's you know you will play. Well, for some, they want to see what the game has to offer with everything added and want to see how much fun it would be, wouldn't you do the same?

I got this simulator cause I like
    trains, who doesn't? I got this simulator because I thought i would have a ton of fun, kinda like how I did with TS 2013 but it wasn't.

certain game engines can only handle so many DLC's at once so do you think paying the devs 3 thousand dollars will worth the trouble in just finding out that you can't add no more than say 10 DLC's into the game at once.

If anyone pays for the entire game (with all DLC's) at regular price, just to find out that adding more than 10 DLC's at once will only crash the game, they must be insane.
  23. Sep 28, 2013
    Exactly the same game. The only noticable thing they've added is XP, but even it does not work properly. Also some officail scenarios are crashing after 2013->2014 update, and all achievments you've earned were removed. I'm really pissed off by the nonsense they've done.
  24. Sep 30, 2013
    Current cost of this game with DLCs is 2100 euro. Two-thousand one-hundred euro. This for simulated train-piloting. Crash and burn RailSimulator.com!
    ...
  25. Feb 6, 2014
    With the current bugs, total disregard to the community, addons that were bought but disappeared, addons that never got updated, but instead they released a new version or separated older bundles to increase the price. In short, until they sort out the mile long bug list, I will not recommend this game. -- MY RATING: 4/10 There are so many issues that I find it a daunting task just to list them; Maybe in the near future when I have the patience, but here are some of the big problems.

-This lacks the basic simulation characteristics.
    - addons now are half-made and lack even basic features. With glaring exception of third party made addons, anything made by RSc(Dovetail now) is a waste of money.
    - Not even the LCD's from modern trains can display more information beyond the extremely basic.
    - They still refuse to use the Workshop at its full potential(before it was scenarios only, now they allow routes, but nothing beyond that... ).
    - It has no joystick support,
    - No TrackIr support and they see no need to add TrackIr support either(they believe it is expensive and no one uses it, but a fan hex-modded it in the game).
    - The sounds are ATROCIOUS!
    - Track sound, train sound, everything related to sound is bad.
    - The AI is terrible
    - You have to work hard in the editor just to get your scenario to function, this is due to bad AI and pathing issues.
    - Bugs, Bugs, Bugs and never ending Bugs galore that are never, ever, ever, never, ever fixed. When a miracle happens and hell freezes over, the bug fix they release is sometimes worse than the bug itself.
    - The content now doesn't even include scenarios, or if it does, it has them on bare-bones(Their excuse? Get them from Worshop)
    - Exceptionally BAD support.
    - Physics are bad, wheel sleep or even train weight feels weird.
    - Is it freezing outside? Raining? Baking hot? No difference on the train whatsoever! Overheating engine? Never happens!

To make matters worse, they actively delete negative threads of the steam forum, they censor anything related to bugs or problems with the game, and they are even attacking negative reviews of steam by flagging it as "Off-Topic".

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME
    I gave it a 4/10 because it used to be ok a couple of years ago and I'm honoring that, otherwise it is a 2/10
  26. Feb 3, 2014
    Bug, Bugs and more bug. RSC doen´t fix it. All DLC´s have bugs. Train Simulator 2014 is a bug! - Windows-Registry-Eintrag wird teilweise nicht erstellt (könnte auch ein Steam-Problem sein) - Berlin-Wittenberg Update 1.11 fehlt - BR 420: ZZA Update fehlt - BR 232: Modell-Update und möglicherweise weitere Fehlerbehebung fehlt, vR hat Update noch vor VÖ auf Steam bereit gestellt - Geisterpuffer auf Ha-Si und anderen Strecken (Screenshots mit Koordinaten machen)
    - BR143: falsche Leistungsdaten (GermanRailroadsRW), s. Wiki
    - Soundupdate für BR151 und BR143 default (quietschen bei KI-Einsatz, Bremswerte)

- diverse unlösbare oder kaputte Szenarios; Details benötigt
    - ER-20 der Mesh-Bug
    Metronom: Führerstand Display steht "HS aus" bei fahrt, bei ME146_nd ist der Pantogroph defekt
    ICE2: Kupplung fehlt in Außenansicht
    ICE-T: Höchstgeschwindigkeit falsch
    BR423: Instrumenten- und Displaybeleuchtung fehlt
    Köln-Düsseldorf: versenkte Menschen im Bahnsteig rumlaufen, Singalisierung falsch. Bei Quickdrive ROTES Signal kurz nach der Brücke Richtung Düsseldorf, von Köln kommend.
  27. Apr 6, 2014
    what a total rip off this game is I have payed for the game and steam owns it it does not install on your computer I have found a way to put hacked dlc into folders but they don't all work the dlc you do pay for is way to expensive so I would stay well clear of this game graphics are good but I wish I had not payed for this now as I did download the game on before I payed for it as a torrent download steam u should be sued for ripping people off with these games . Expand
  28. Apr 17, 2014
    The Steam version of Train Simulator 2014 is crippled, incomplete, and has obnoxious Facebook integration. Most of the things that you will need to learn or enjoy this game -- like the tutorial maps -- are missing or broken.
  29. May 30, 2014
    Basically the same game like 2012 and 2013 version of the game. Sadly, the game still has enormous amounts of bugs and glitches that the developer of the game dont give a **** about. Instead, they keep pushing out new DLCs all the time and not improving existing trains or the game itself.

The costs to buy new DLCs is very high (13,99 EURO) for a train and even more for maps. Addons are
    often half-made and very buggy and is sometimes broken. Even though DLCs are very expensive, their quality, especially train sound is very bad and you can hear some sounds looping and do not sound realistic. When an AI train passes you, the sound suddenly starts from nowhere and dissapers, without fading.

Further on, Train Simulator features an editor that makes it possible for a player to make your own scenarios, but it do ALWAYS crash and all the work goes by by.

I will not recommend this game to anyone because all the bugs and the terrible physics and sounds makes this game very boring to play, BUT if the developer starts to fix bugs and starts to push out proper updates, then this game may have potential.
  30. Jun 23, 2014
    This game has too many DLCs. Even though it is fun and looks good, the developer or publisher is trying to make the maximum money out of the game with annoying DLCs. Join the Anti-DLC-Force!
  31. Sep 15, 2014
    First of all if you search a real Simulator, you are complettle wrong with this game, its only a dumped down arcade game for kiddies and mid 40 guys who think the can drive trains....
    The only + are probably the graphics but even they are very poor at some parts(NY-NH partly only 1 fps).
    The feeling of driving a train dosent exist. Its like driving a car even heavy us freights. They
    wasnt even able to find out the correct weight of freight cars and some engines. Also have the SD40-2 more power than Gevo´s seriously a 3500 HP engine can pull more than a 4400 HS engine...RSC/DTG are you joking....
    Fixing of bugs is also no intention of RSC/DTG. In new dlc are sometimes some things fixed but you can say for every fixed one you get 2 new bugs.

1. Dec 24, 2013
    The new routes are familiar, and the new features are flimsy. Train Simulator 2104 feels like it’s freewheeling.
  2. Nov 14, 2013
    Train Simulator 2014 is very boring – you spend most of your time looking out for the next semaphore and missing GTA V. [12/2013, p.70]
  3. Nov 4, 2013
    This “game,” if it can really be called that, is a niche one. It will only appeal to a very select few train enthusiasts and so for those folks I’d recommend this as a nice entry into the world of train conducting. For everyone else save yourself some time, money and frustration and just say no.