8.5

1. Jan 4, 2013
    I'll admit, I didn't think much of this game at first because I'm not a big fan of retro visuals. It was offered as a free game on GOG.com, so I supposed it wouldn't hurt if I gave it a try. I was really surprised at how tight this game is. The visuals are very good, and the soundtrack is superb. Characters actually have their own identity, something that is usually missing in games likeI'll admit, I didn't think much of this game at first because I'm not a big fan of retro visuals. It was offered as a free game on GOG.com, so I supposed it wouldn't hurt if I gave it a try. I was really surprised at how tight this game is. The visuals are very good, and the soundtrack is superb. Characters actually have their own identity, something that is usually missing in games like this. Dynamic environments, platforming elements, and story development are weaved together pretty well. To be honest, I actually prefer this game over Cave Story. If you're looking for a pleasant surprise, I highly recommend this game. Expand
  2. Oct 7, 2017
    Do you really think you must pay to have a good time with a game? Nope, and there are many freeware games out there that confirm this. One of these games is treasure adventure game.

The plot revolves around a young boy who is left on the doorstep of an elderly couple. They raise him and when he is old enough he leaves to begin his own adventure to find wonders and treasures in a world that is basically an archipelago. I wont say anything else story wise as it is a surprisingly interesting and deeper than it seems, with its own lore and legends.

As mentioned the game world has the form of fragmented islands to whom you travel between in a sailing boat. Each island has its own climate with its respected visual representation and holds its own levels, small or big and you travel between them by boat in which you can also fight with a small cannon. The levels themselves are well designed and never get repetitive. You will never see a level that looks like another one beyond the shared gameplay mechanics. Its a treat to explore them and you will find yourself anxious for the next level.

On the various levels you will also find the items of the game. Speaking of items, the game is mostly centered around them. You necessarily need all of the items if you are to overcome some obstacles, enemies or puzzles. The game is very metroidvania-esue with some zelda thrown in there, and thats actually a good thing. At the end of each level you will encounter a boss, and what I find awesome is that bosses are actually varried.

One other great thing I found about the game are minor segments that have you doing other things like driving a digging machine.

Soundwise, the game is approprietly retro with chiptune like music and sounds and the same can be said about the graphics too. Minor gripe, both the music and graphics can be a bit inconsistend while all bosses share the same theme, but these are just nitpicks
  3. Jan 2, 2014
    This game is one of my favorite games I played recently. I found it while searching for some interesting Indie-Games, thought "Hmm, maybe I could try this out, does not look too bad." and was impressed. You play a little boy, who was on a treasure hunt with your father and his friend once. Something went terribly wrong and as the game starts you are grown up with a hook as a surrogateThis game is one of my favorite games I played recently. I found it while searching for some interesting Indie-Games, thought "Hmm, maybe I could try this out, does not look too bad." and was impressed. You play a little boy, who was on a treasure hunt with your father and his friend once. Something went terribly wrong and as the game starts you are grown up with a hook as a surrogate hand. If I had to I would call this an Open-World adventure rpg action platformer This game is the perfect middle of almost everything. Graphics are good for an indie game in retro style, but although quite simple. The puzzles and bosses are not easy, but never let you down with desperating "I will never get this." thoughts. The games humor really takes my fancy, although it quite ruined the ending, but it rarely prevails over the story. The world is a relatively big open world made of some islands with a new clever travel system. You can completely choose what you want to do next plus there are several white cloverleafs to collect to gain rewards.
    You also have to consider that this is a game made by a single hobby developer, who created this game being better than some of the "big releases" in the matter of story and gameplay.
  4. Jan 28, 2016
    I love this game. It's a wonderful world with a great gameplay. It's an example how an indie game could be awesome. Besides it's a game done only by 2 people and it's something worthy of merit.
    Pros: story + treasure maps + lots of gadgets + quite varied + fun to play + upgrade system + superb and varied musics + etc
    Cons: maybe sometimes can be a bit frustrating
  5. Oct 14, 2016
    A very entertaining and fascinating exploration adventure and platformer (and free ^^) game with a very great atmosphere, great characters, great gameplay that can get tricky sometimes and interesting story.

There are no critic reviews yet.