7.8

1. Aug 10, 2012
    It's comeback of very fresh series and great evidence that games similiar to old school FPS games (Increadibly high skill gap, very fast gameplay) are still great and haven't become worse. It lacks in reminder of how great singleplayer campaigns can be made without overscripting, but who cares! Even having multiplayer only game is enough!

The fresh gameplay works fantastically. It
    doesn't work as well in closed enviroments when compared to open enviroments due to the game's explosive focus. But it still works. Every kill feels very satisfying, making you play the game longer and longer.

But sure this can't be just praising of the game? Well, there are few weapons, which would take forever to unlock without using real money. Yes, there needs to be a way for the developers to have money, but when the only primary explosive weapon of a specific class is Pay-2-Use, it does get a little annoying. As a good thing though, the game isin't Pay-2-Win, even with weapons like that.

Can I honestly find any other bad things? No. So just like many others, I recommend this game. Its quality flies over 99.9999% of the other FPS games released today.
  2. Apr 17, 2012
    I was very surprised to be able to play this for free. Tribes 2 was my favorite game for a long time and now its predecessor was FTP??? Life was great. Then I spent a lot of money on gold. Life is still great. Download it and continue to build this community. It's a great game with so many options. Don't miss out!
  3. Jun 28, 2012
    Really fantastic, easily the best FPS Shooter to be released since Team Fortress 2. The game is f2p, but don't let that scare you; all equipment can be unlocked via normal play (like TF2) and no weapons are exclusive to paying users. Virtually no other recent MP shooter rewards skill and strategy as well as Tribes does, I never felt I was being randomly killed or the situation was outside my control. The graphics and design are slick and polished, the weapons feel great, and theres heaps of play styles (from defensive turret building, to stealthy infiltration to gung-ho heavy weapons)

The pay model is virtually identical to TF2; and hence very fair. In fact I'd say Tribes pay model is probably fairer since you can choose what you unlock with XP (rather than TF2's random drops)
  4. Apr 12, 2012
    This review is for the beta up 'till april 10th. Good: -The game is fast paced, the maps are well designed and it's generally fun and addictive -the ski mechanic feels new and cool effectively makes big maps fast to travel on foot -vehicles are cool -good optimization options (except for the mouse in the menu) Bad: -I miss faster weaponry -I also miss more color diversity in some maps -the leveling up system is a little slow for non paying users (but maybe that's the point of it)
    -the paid perks are too expensive right now.
  5. May 25, 2012
    For the first time in years, I feel like I'm playing an old school multiplayer FPS and it's a fantastic feeling. It's true to Tribes - yes, there's flaws, but it can qualify as a Tribes game. It's fast paced, it's exciting, the addition of classes works well, the variation of weapons is nice and the learning curve as well as the skill requirement that should be in an fps, is there. Thankfully, this is one FPS that consoles haven't had a chance to butcher. However, that's not to say it doesn't feel simplified in some respects. Map design, in comparison with previous Tribes, is poor - both the terrain and base placement feels lackluster and obvious. The addition of SMGs feels as though its attempting to cater to a CoD crowd who would be scared away by the notion of spinfusors as primary weapons and some of the weapons/items just feel like they cheapen the Tribes experience. For example the Sentry class (sniper) for some reason or other, is seen fit to have the best SMG for close combat in the game, whilst anyone who does decide to don an explosive weapon is punished for it when an SMG user can deal the same amount of damage in the same time-frame with greater margin for error. Many weapons are severely imbalanced in similar ways. The maps are also small, meaning a good team/capper can perform several second caps repeatedly. Regenerating health is a bit of a hit and miss mechanic, I'm undecided on it currently. I preferred the old method of deployables which wasn't subject to class and also preferred vehicles from previous games. In T:A you currently have a Grav Bike, a novelty item which is largely useless, a Beowulf Tank, whilst effective is a PITA to manouvere around the field due to physics, and a Shrike, a one man aircraft which is more often than not exploited to run over flag carriers. However, for all the bad, there's a ton of good, and I haven't seen a more tense, competetive and skill-based shooter come out for years. The soundtrack is also fantastic, with scores you could swear were straight from old UT/quake games. I'm impartial to the current payment model, but don't find it too offensive. Whilst payment is a fast track to better weapons, you'll still be outmatched by a better player, and with just a little time invested, you can unlock anything you want reasonably fast anyway. Highly recommended for seasoned tribes players, old school fps lovers, and new players to the genre alike. Expand
  6. Apr 26, 2012
    Very fun game for free. Simple as that. Yes they release op new content that unbalances the game. The new raider gun is nuts op. But it's still a very fun game for free. You can choose to buy stuff, or you can unlock it with xp. It will take a very long time with xp, but you can do it. The most expensive weapons are 100k xp. You get probably an average of 500xp per match if you performed decently.
  7. Apr 13, 2012
    The first FREE game to deserve Game of The Year! or at least FPS of the year. Tribes: Ascend blew me away with the graphics and the fast, fun combat. At first it is hard to ski around and hit people but really fun once you get used to it.
  8. Jun 2, 2012
    I think this game most accurately is a reboot of Tribes: Annihilation, which was the definitive base game community on T1. Great new visuals and a design team that constantly improves maps the players deem 'untribesworthy'. Anyone complaining of the weapon balance is silly, this game has so many variables it's really more of a 'rock paper scissors' and everyone has a weakness. You'll find the best ways to use every weapon. 350 hours and counting, the distance shots only get more gratifying, do yourself a huge favor and try the fastest most beautiful shooter on the market in 2012. And it's f2p, but not pay-2-win. Seek therapy when you start seeing routes to ski among large mountains in your vicinity, or worse, holding the CTRL button on a keyboard that doesn't exist. Expand
  9. May 29, 2012
    Best multiplayer FPS in years gameplay wise. More balanced than prevous tribes with a lot less focus on vehicles. But also lacks some of it's features which does let it down a bit and the maps are a lot smaller as well. Also no 3rd party modding was what kept the old tribes alive, it doesn't have that either.
  10. Apr 12, 2012
    The game is officially out now and I would like to say that it is amazing. The speed, the shooting, the skiing. It all feels awesome. I would recommend that everyone check this game out immediately.
  11. May 26, 2012
    Mediochre game. Unlike basicaly all modern shooters, Tribes does not use unlagged code, which means that latency (ping) is not compensated. This does for a "back to the 90s" feeling, where low pingers always had a massive advantage. Plus its not realy "free to play", its more "pay to win" unless you will spend hundreds of hours to even get the basics for free.

If you got a very low
    ping, fail to excel in modern shooters and desperately need another fps, Tribes might just be the niche game you are looking for. Otherwise, move on, waste of time. Oh, and note how most positive user reviews here have been written on certain days, like april 12th ... small and dedicated community ;) So most likely the user score for this game is fake. Expand
  12. Jul 4, 2012
    Decent game and it's worth supporting the company with a few dollars if you enjoy the game itself. If you like the original tribes or any decent shooter game this game is for you(it's free to play so its stupid not to try out). Quite polished and well made maps. About ~100 hours so far spent playing since the beta days and will play some more for sure.
  13. Apr 21, 2012
    Tribes: Ascend is the next Quake. There. I said it. Extraordinarily unique, yet refreshingly classic...Tribes: Ascend takes so many pages out of so many classic shooters, it is impossible for any FPS fan to not like it. Coupled with the Freemium business model...Tribes: Ascend's appeal and replayability is sure to last far after Ascend 2 is announced and released.
  14. Apr 13, 2012
    Absolutely brilliant game. If you liked Star Siege Tribes, you'll love this game, it's a total throwback to the old school. It is definitely a different type of play style when you compare it to something like Modern Warfare. Also, to anyone comparing this to Halo, let me say this; Tribes was first. For free too? Definitely get it. I put it up there with TF2.
  15. Apr 17, 2012
    Aside from several overlookable latency issues that have hit-scan weapons and spinfusors dealing zero damage on direct hit, you gotta go fasterr as this is Sanic Hegehog world of shazbots.
  16. May 22, 2012
    A great fun game, but you will soon realise that overpowered weapons are released every month, meaning that if you do not get them straight away you will be at a severe disadvantage. Then one month later, a nerf to the old and overpower the new. Really is a shame as they had a great product at the start. So a month has passed since I wrote the paragraph above, guess what, nerfed the old OP weapons, released an attempt at a balanced OP weapon. Automatics dominate the game to the point that it is just another shooter, no point in going fast because you will be gunned down, no point in using any other weapon other than the smgs because if you are not using them, you will constantly die to them, this really drags the gameplay down, from a fast paced shooter to another spray and pray title.

Loads of issues with the mechanics, badly optimised, every patch lowers framerates and they do not fix any problems instead they focus on releasing more content to get a quick dollar. I very much doubt this game will last longer than another couple of months unless drastic changes take place, even then it will probably be too late as the playerbase is already dropping fast. It is getting harder and harder to get a full game.

They really have shot themselves in the foot by focussing on money grabs instead of proper balance and fixing core issues.

Don't let me put you off, try the game out for yourself, it is free after all. Just do not rush into buying gold, you will probably not spend it. Adios Tribes Ascend, you could've/should've been so great.
  17. May 1, 2012
    Tribes:Ascend looked great in the beginning, but the more I played it, the more serious flaws became obvious to me.

The weapon balance is pretty bad and often makes little sense, for example a silenced pistol has a higher damage output than an assault rifle.

You have to unlock a lot of weapons that are better than the default gear, and the price both in experience points and gold/cash is
    steep. If you spend only $60 on T:A, you still need hundreds of hours to unlock and upgrade the good stuff. If you don't spend any money and stay f2p, you need about 40 hours to unlock each of the more expensive weapons, 30 hours for the middle priced ones and 17 hours for the cheap ones. So unless you spend most of your waking life playing this game, you won't get far without gold. You get 50% once you spend any money, but then you still need a lot of time for unlocks. You can buy xp boosters for gold that doubles the xp rate for a period, but they're usually marginally cost efficient for casual players.

HiRez has released obviously overpowered weapons in both of it's new weapon packs, and they were the most expensive ones. This shows that pay to win is how they plan to keep maximizing their revenue.

Being a team based game, team play is a very important factor. Unfortunately, in most games the teams are stacked so that one team steamrolls the other, which is neither exciting or fun. Also, overall team play is usually terrible, especially in CTF games where people often refuse to defend the flag. But if you happen end up in a game were the teams are balanced and people work together, it's a fun game.

In the Capture and Hold mode, there's less requirement for cooperation than in CTF, so the games are less chaotic, but here the classes don't work as well together as in CTF, and some of the maps used for CaH are just not well suited for it because they have rooms were people tend to crowd up and spam grenades.
  18. Jul 22, 2012
    Had loads of fun with this game at beta. Then it just got worse. And worse. And worse. And worse with every single update they released which is odd considering Hi-Rez studios pride themselves on listening on the community which has clearly not been the case for this game. Originally, they threw a few mixed updates both with good and bad, nerfing some of the obnoxious explosive weapons but then they tugged down the weapons that requires actual aiming and started adding more explosives instead with not the slightest hint of concern for balancement in regards to rewarding players for aim or tactics. I thought that all the good stuff had to be in the paying section so I threw them a couple of bucks to try more content just to be met with even worse weapons, including a set of daggers that you could throw for around 200-300 damage each depending on enemy armor quite slowly with extremely precise aiming and timing required or pick up the standard silenced SMG that spews out hundreds of rounds per minute for 50 damage each. I asked for a refund not too long afterwards, explaining my disappointment and they insisted on having my account closed due to their inability to retract purchases manually which is a shame because now I've lost all hope of returning to the game once things have been polished but hey, at least they honored people refunds which is more than I can say for most US companies right now. Expand
  19. Apr 28, 2012
    Fantastic game, the Tribes 2 style and community being resurrected, hell yeah ! Not only is it A Tribes game done right, it is free to play !
    But honestly, the $50 package is by far the best and you won't regret it.
    Also please gives some kudos on Twitter to Chris Rickwood (@chrisrickwood).
    He is the genius composer behind that awesome music.
    Really, that game has everything right, TRY IT !!
  20. Apr 14, 2012
    I've been playing non-stop since the game was released and I have to say that Hi-Rez have made a big step up from Global Agenda. This is a lot more fun and it's what the users want. Free to Play where most things are unlock able with xp earned while playing (Paying money doesn't give any combat advantage). Fast paced action, easy to play but hard to master.
  21. Apr 12, 2012
    Good fun. Personally I dont expect masses of depth from a game like that and I didnt get it. However, it does have some fun mechanics, it is fun to play and the FTP balancing act seems to work pretty well. A very good game well worth checking out
  22. Apr 28, 2012
    A game that had full potential to be what it was promised to become: a salvation for competitive, rearding, skill-based PC shooters; that lost everything it has in stock over the course of the beta to come out at launch as standard, well executed mashup of Halo, Call of Duty, TF2 and Quake.
    That is what Tribes: Ascend is at launch. Having been in the beta, not from day1, but VERY close to
    that, I observed this game descend into the abyss of developer greed, simplification and corruption from the unexpected popularity that the game has received.
    Over the course of the beta, as more people rolled in, killing was simplified incredibly. Skiing too. Overpowered weapons were created and kept free (Assault Rifle, Tech SMG, >>>Thumper DX
  23. Apr 15, 2012
    The golden age of FPS games is returning! Tribes Ascend is fast and skill based - nothing like the "realistic" shooters peddled primarily on consoles. I've only been playing for a few hours, but already I find the gameplay deeply satisfying. Some kills are easy, but the hardest of them mean chasing that bastard across the whole map - at break neck speed (skiing) peppering them with the assault rifle the whole time! Tons of fun!

I find the store/upgrades are a little hard to navigate and understand, but some things are simple enough to understand (i.e. +4 clip size, +5 ammo carry etc.). It's already been through a long beta, but I suspect we'll see the store improve now that they are making money from it.
  24. Apr 23, 2012
    Fast and balanced gameplay. I picked up the game really fast and enjoyed it. Maps are huge and the gameplay is fun. If you want similar to lets say unreal tournament games but more flying this is the game.
    AND OF COURSE ITS FREE!
  25. Apr 18, 2012
    It's rare that you see a free-to-play that isn't pay to win or forces you to pay to keep playing. Tribes Ascend is F2P done right. The amount of work that went into such an amazing game is mind blowing. If I had the money, I'd send Hi-Rez the prize amount for winning the lottery.

Do yourself a favor. Ignore the negative reviews and try the game. The only reason there are negative reviews
    are because people are bad at the game, and it's not the game's fault. Screw anyone who gives it less than a 6 or 7. Expand
  26. Jun 29, 2012
    The original Tribes was the very first FPS game I had ever played, Tribes 2 was even better, and then the series sort of fell a little short after that. I kept trying to find similar games that allowed for such flexible vertical game play, but nothing ever seemed to quite work out. Tribes: Ascend, however, brings back the nostalgia in the most wonderful way, revitalizing the concept while keeping nearly all of my favorite points from the first games. In the beginning I was a little worried about the "Free to Play" format, but it has proven to be a great move on their part, and extremely versatile. The decision to make every unlock (except vanity skins) free with enough play-time was exactly the right business move, and has kept the community thriving. Earning unlocks and their upgrades also give plenty of reasons to keep playing the game, and more goodies are constantly being added. This brings me to another positive; Hi-Rez is *very* into supporting this game. They have constant updates with new maps, class skins, weapons and game types, and they release these major content updates at a staggering rate of roughly every two weeks. I've determined that they must not sleep much over there, since there's probably twice as much content as when I started playing back in mid-April. I've seen a few people complain about having to lead their shots, skiing, and just vertical game-play in general...which makes me wonder why they've even decided to play Tribes: Ascend. Those mechanics are the very things that make this franchise so unique and special, in addition to being some of the more advertised features. There are plenty of other great shooters out there that keep your feet planted (relatively) firmly on the ground, so if flying through the air and precision shooting isn Expand
  27. Jul 6, 2012
    Free to play done right. I am always skeptical of F2P games, as often there is a barrier to entry that prevents new players from being competitive. For the most part - that is not the case. The only class I can see where this would be an issue is the soldier not having immediate access to a spinfuser, (although you do start out with the thumper, which is a lot like one.) but most other classes start with competitive weapons, some even being BiS. While there is some things that purchasing will give you a slight edge, everything is obtainable with XP, (Even more so with equipment, because you can only unlock upgrades for a weapon by use or 15k xp). There is encouragement it pay - very low xp gain with a non VIP account, but even if you only spend $10(US), you're a VIP forever and have increased XP gain, and can unlock almost everything for the class with very little money spent. So in summary - yes- there is some F2Pness here, but it is one of the most fair models out there, bar TF2. I would like to see more emphasis on money for cosmetics, which looks like it is coming. Gameplay is what sets this apart from it's competitors - Different - Fast Paced. Tactical Gameplay; very sparse in our "Big Developer, play it safe" attitude which is too prevalent at the moment. The game feels like a AAA title, with quick responsive controls. The feeling of polish is such a refresher after the industry seems to have forgotten what it is. You can tell they took player feedback to heart and made the game they - and their fans - wanted. Love is in the air in Tribes, and it feels good. Graphics are smooth - with options, although I wish there were more. Art style is a personal taste, but I feel they did Tribes justice. It looks like a High fidelity remake, in terms of art style. The Warhammer look was well preserved. Sound is good - again this opinion will very. There were no obvious problems, the tracks are very bass heavy and give you a rush which compliments gameplay. All in all - I give this a VERY SOLID 9. One of the best MP games in years, and free to play done in a respectful manner. I just think more emphasis should be put to money for cosmetics than money for guns. I mean, who hasn't seen the infiltrator skin and not been jealous your class didn't have a badass outfit? I'd pay good money for a ninja suit. Expand
  28. May 16, 2012
    At first I was skeptical. A free to play game in this modern age of gaming. I was expecting a dumbed down Tribes with horrible graphics and every way possible to make money off you. But boy was I wrong. This game is absolutely beautiful. The maps have nearly flawless design. The balance of weapons is very stable. And everything in the "modify class" area, you can either use real money for the inpatient player. Or earn your way all the way to 100k xp and feel like a champion on a pedestal. The game is not "pay to win" but pay if you want to unlock some stuff faster. I personally bought the 19.99 pack. But mainly because a game like this is FREE. I had to give them something. Hi Rez deserves the 20 bucks. They made one of the best FPS I've seen in years. The classes all have strengths and weaknesses. No class is too strong, and no class is too weak. There aren't enough gamers playing this game. All they need is one advertisement during prime time television. Announcing that it's FREE and 10/10. And then everybody will be playing this. And the nice thing is, the people who are every day Call Of Duty players, would find the game incredibly bad and annoying. So they would quit very quickly. As this game is only for elite gamers who actually look for a challenge. I can admit. When I first started playing I died ALOT. And when I say alot. I mean it took me like 6 deaths to get 1 kill. But now after playing day in and day out. I get kills all the time. And that's what this game excels in. MAKING you play the game over and over until you get better. This is what modern gamers don't want to hear. They want to be able to jump in a game and instantly have the capabilities to be just as good as veterans. The people who are good at Tribes Ascend are good because of hardcore playing. Not because they have the right perks equipped or a certain gun. This game SHOULD be FPS of the year, But it won't because it will lose to Black Ops 2. Oh well. C'est la vie. Expand
  29. Apr 24, 2012
    It's free to play, so I can't complain much, but this is simply a F2P model that does not work, and with Sony publishing Tribes Ascend it's no surprise. It plays out as what you'd expect, you can level up normally (and rather slowly), or go the Pay to Pave option and obtain gold to buy market items, perks and skins. It's not with this that the game becomes broken, though many weapons become more and more overpowered with each consequential update that supposedly fixes these problems. It's the fact the disbalancement of F2P v P2P players becomes overwhelmingly clear through the horrible in-game matchmaking, which ends up pitting players with low points against MVPlayers most of the time. That being said, the pros of Tribes come from it's insanely fast-paced gameplay, intense objective-based modes, and unique graphically-stirring maps and designs. Cons quickly appear in minor, but overwhelmingly apparent doses still. The interface is clunky, OP weapons have not been fixed or have been made worse, and with many other problems surrounding matchmaking and gameplay, Tribes: Ascend loses its grand appeal in the first few hours, but still delivers to Tribes fans and those looking for a new skill-based shooter not unlike Quake. Given time, I'm sure that these problems will be ironed up, but the problem still lies in why they released the game when the beta clearly needed attention to fixes as well. Expand
  30. Apr 12, 2012
    A competitive multilayer shooter that doesn't feel like it was developed for thumb sticks, or the people that use them.

-Unique
    -Solid Graphics
    -Great Gameplay
    -Strong Community
    -Fantastic Developer

I can find no issue with this shooter, either you'll like it or you wont. I'm in the former camp.
  31. Apr 12, 2012
    At first I was worried that Hi-Rez Studios would screw the Tribes formula (like what Irrational Games did) but now I want them to make the rest of the Tribes games if they can, The Graphics are great the maps are fun and huge and we still have the good ole' game mechanics of Tribes 2. Plus its Free to Play!
  32. Apr 17, 2012
    This game reminded me my childhood with quake 2 CTF , really refreshing in age of cod/bf3.Try it since its free , its big chance that it will suck you in.I would give it 10/10 if weapons mods wasnt so expensive (xp).
  33. Apr 19, 2012
    Oh gosh, where do i start? I love FPS genre, I play alot of shooters, single/multi alike. I got sucked into the world of Tribes almost instantly. This game is purely awesome. It does everything right and when it doesnt - devs quickly alter it to match what community demands. It's great to know that Tribes: Ascend is still expanding, still getting better. Plenty of goodies, dlc's and patches ahead of us. I dont consider it as Free to Play... because it's almost a crime not to pay for it, it is SO ENJOYABLE. Yes, it is free. It gives you three basic classes and a possibility to upgrade them without paying a penny. It will take more time to unlock your desirable gear, but it is possible to fully enjoy this game without contributing any money... Nevertheless, i felt guilty not to pay. Hi-Rez Studios should know that this game made my day a lot of times and still Im totally in love with their game. Ok, but more about the product - Tribes: Ascend is fast paced, skill-oriented, teamplay shooter. If offers great gameplay and huge, well designed maps (most of the time about 32 players at once). The gimmick of Tribes is skiing - as you move down the slope you can slide and gain momentum. Then, jet packing uphill helps you maintain speed. Combine this and you can achieve even more than 200km/h of pure speed! (when playing the lightest class) Hard to imagine? Watch some gameplays or trailers on youtube. Some people here complained about "going thru the map and meeting no one" or "it's to fast to hit anybody". Sorry, but that's BS. Game is perfectly designed and I suggest PLAYING IT for real and not making stuff up. For those saying "it's boring and easy, just wait for somebody to land" I recommend watching some 'blue plate special' (air kills) videos on yt. Also, play Capture The Flag. Team Deathmatch is more of a warm-up before the real thing. The same with the Arena Mode. It's all good, but CTF is THE ESSENCE of Tribes. Skill and teamplay is all that matters. See you on the battlefields, sandrakers! 10 out of 10. It's a perfect game for me. Expand
  34. Aug 28, 2012
    I hate to review games based on their business models, but Tribes: Ascend is just another low quality production with extremely generic maps (no interacts with environment available), mediocre technical work and low production value on top of being a traditional F2P.

While the main complaint about F2P is the P2W (pay-to-win) argument, it isn't reason it's bad. F2P models generally feel
    cheap because in most cases it is. Low production value has always been a hallmark of F2P games with the exception of those made by Valve (TF2 and DOTA2). Expand
  35. May 24, 2012
    Very good multiplayer shooter. Imo it has not enough maps right now and matchmaking is not very smart, but anyway it is #2 in list of my favourite deathmatch games, right after Dystopia and before Warsow.
  36. Jul 27, 2012
    Like Team Fortress 2, great free-to-play with item system and not all items being unlocked at once unlike old games. Hi-Rez Studios has found out how to correctly balance Tribes: Ascend and avoiding pay-to-win "gameplay." Tribes: Ascend is amazing.
  37. Apr 18, 2012
    Brutal old school Deathmatches and CTF's with a sprinkle of new school graphics and "Modern Warfare". Free skis and jetpacks makes it all more fun. There's quality entertainment for everyone here, as it is Free 2 Play.
  38. Jul 11, 2012
    Tribes: Ascend is probably the only online FPS I've actually enjoyed playing, no other game has you capping the flag at 260km/h screaming WOOHOO WOOHOO as enemies try to shoot you out of the sky with lasers and **** The skiing mechanic is so much fun and jetpacks are just icing on the cake. Every class offers a completely different style of play. It's so much fun and I'd recommend it to anyone. Not to mention that it's also free and it's not pay to win since anything you can get with real money can also be obtained through play. Expand
  39. Jul 14, 2012
    Pay to win game. Pay to win game. Pay to win game. Pay to win game. Pay to win game. Pay to win game. Pay to win game. Pay to win game. Pay to win game. Pay to win game.
  40. Apr 12, 2012
    If you are tired of Call of Duty, Battlefield, or Counter-Strike clones and want a much faster-paced game, check out Tribes Ascend. Team Fortress 2 is still the best F2P shooter out there, but Tribes Ascend is a very close 2nd place. Pretty much Tribes Ascend's main thing is Skiing, where you become frictionless. Most of the time you will be going at ~100 km/h, dedicated flagcappers go ~200 km/h, and the best go over 400 km/h. There are only 3 hitscan weapons: Snipers, Shotguns, and some pistols. Everything else is projectile-based, so you need to predict where the enemy will be. There are 9 classes (Unlike the previous in the series which is completely free customization), 3 light, 3 medium, 3 heavy. They all serve a different role. For example, Pathfinder is the fastest class, and is used for flag capturing and chasing. Meanwhile Infiltrator can cloak and has high-damage weapons, which make them excellent at destroying the base from the inside. Juggernauts are very slow but very powerful long-range artillery. But anyway, away from all that class discussion the game is easy to learn, difficult to master. The classes are generally balanced (Although Infiltrator is a bit too powerful currently), but usually unlocking different equipment for them is ridiculously expensive ($8 for major weapons or 100,000 EXP, for example). The community is full of /v/irgins, so mention ANYTHING Reddit and they will freak out and start blindly hating. Overall it's one of the best F2P games ever made, and you should stop what you're doing and download it today. Expand
  41. Oct 9, 2012
    I played this for at least 50 hours in the beta, and have put another hundred in since its been on Steam.....this is a simply amazing game.
    The first FPS I have every played that focused more on movement than shooting.
    I know of no better feeling then skiing up the enemies base ramp at 180km an hour, snatching their flag, and turning around on the ski out to spinfuse some retard that
    thinks he's playing Call of Duty in space suits. Also this is truly free to play and not "pay-to-win" Expand
  42. Apr 12, 2012
    Do you like fast paced,old school shooters?Well,if you do,you must have been waiting for another one for years.The waiting's over.Tribes Ascend is what you are looking for.This is the kind of shooter PC community deserves.Designed for PC,no hitscan weapons,you need to go fast and shoot efficiently,a lot of teamplay involved.Hi-rez should be praised for a product like this.Graphics are as good as UE3 can get,the style is awesome and unique,gameplay is satisfying and rewards the skilled players.What else would you expect from a Multiplayer shooter?Oh wait,it's FREE to play as well!

We surely need more games like this.Thank you hi-rez studios.
  43. Jun 30, 2012
    The game that actually takes alot of skills to kill someone ya 360 no scope bastards. I would buy this game even if it was paid. In case it's free-to-play i'm gonna buy some in-game stuff to reward developers. Though there is no pay-to-win formula - everything can be unlocked free.
  44. Oct 3, 2012
    gran juego online me gusto mucho entretenido y lo mejor de todo free, si bien la mecánica de shooter es bastante clásica pero con una variación de armas mas que considerable. graficamente es muy bien logrado, entornos ricos y bien detallados, los sonidos esta bastante bien.. en resumen un juego recomendado para aquellos que quieran pasar un rato jugando online grafis..
  45. May 4, 2012
    Undoubtly the best f2p shooter on pc! Fast speed, highly competitive. You should have a try if u are a fps fans.
    Although some weapons and abilities require tons of exp or bucks if u want, but IMO, pay about twenty bucks for such a awesome game is ok for me. GOGOGO!
  46. May 7, 2012
    This is online FPS like it used to be, tactical, fast, fun, pure unadulterated enjoyment. Sure, you can complain that you don't have the best weapons, or instead you can just have a shedload of fun and cope with the fact you're probably not going to be number 1 on the leaderboard. SPINFUSER GO!
  47. Jul 3, 2012
    This game is NOT pay2win, every weapon is a side-grade item to one another. Maybe some weapons are better in some situations, but definitely not overall superior (minus maybe 1 or 2). I have spent over 500+ hours playing this game both in pubs and competitively, and put about $50 dollars into it so far. Needless to say, I am extremely impressed by this game as a former UT/Quake player. If you were ever a fan of UT/Quake/Tribes1/2, or are bored of CoD/BF3, as you should be, then you need to play this game right now. Expand
  48. Aug 2, 2012
    Great free to play game. It's NOT too much a "pay to win" game, and that's the main pro i've found. The game is original (different to normal FPS), very funny and skill based: at level 1 i killed many high level guys only with the default weapons. Of course unlocking new stuff is a bit long without paying anything, but it could be done.
  49. Jun 6, 2012
    If you enjoyed older styles of FPS games like unreal tournament or quake arena, you'll probably like this game a lot. With a very fast pace (literal and figurative) and a very high skill cap, you might find yourself on the receiving end of a lot of punishment early on in your game, but stick with it. Sure you might find it unreasonable to ask that you hit a target half a mile away moving at 30 miles an hour with a jetpack, but that just makes it all the sweeter when you do pull it off. The game operates on an unlock system, you accumulate points for playing the game and winning matches, and you use these points to unlock classes, weapons, and gear for your characters. You can choose to speed the process up by spending real money on this unlocking process, but you won't be denied any part of the game for not doing so. Overall, it's not the most friendly to players who are new to hardcore FPS games, but it is incredibly rewarding for those who stick with it and learn the ropes Expand
  50. Apr 12, 2012
    Holy jesus this game is fun. Played on release for 4 hours straight and still going as I type this review. What more do I need to say? Play it and get addicted.
  51. Apr 12, 2012
    Well i've been playing (by playing i mean hooked on) this since november, and this game is amazing. Most people who read this have never played a tribes game, so listen: forget everything you know about shooters. Forget your piece of **** tacticool "reality simulator" (bloody screen SO REAL) shooters. Forget walking, crouching and going prone. Walking is what gets you killed and the only people who go prone are dead guys. This game is about speed, jetpacking and sliding downhill with speeds exceeding 300km/h while shooting projectile and ballistic weapons at enemies going at comparable speeds. It's completely insane and the best shooter on the market today. Expand
  52. Apr 30, 2012
    With nearly 400 games in my Steam library, it takes a very good game to pull me away. Minecraft did it, but now even that has been left on the sidelines by Hi-Rez's new game, Tribes: Ascend. It's unique combat system where movement and prediction become more important than regular aiming, this is a game that has got me playing every night, with a growing interest the more I play. Go try it, it's FREE! Expand
  53. Nov 7, 2012
    As an old fan of the original Tribes and all of the sequels, I was anticipating good things from this game. I am not disappointed. They captured the feel of the original game play and the mechanics and controls are extremely responsive. Could they improve the game? Sure, but I have no idea how. Sometimes a classic is good enough. Anyone for a blue plate special?
  54. Apr 21, 2012
    Fast paced and with a high skill ceiling. So refreshing being able to move around with speeds of 300 sanics flying through the skies. In fact, whenever i play another game, the walking feels like crawling. Combat is fun and trades the point-and-click hitscan of your usual generic FPS in for projectile based weapons, which in combination with high speeds, need a certain level of skill to effectively use. Team based play is fun all around, when using the VGS system, tactics are easily coordinated without the use of VoIP. A number of modes and custom servers keep it diverse and every class plays entirely different and load-out allow for even more costumization. Gotta go fast. Expand
  55. May 2, 2012
    been playing since alpha and really enjoy the game. improvements seem to come at a steady and often pace. my only real complaint is that the alternate costumes cost too much.
  56. Apr 30, 2012
    Alright, Tribes is NOTHING special. It's a generic online shooter. Sure, you go fast, yeah, but honestly? It doesn't even give the feeling of fast that you would get from a lot of other games. Also the balance is poor. It's a given that in any online game the edge goes to more experienced players, but the experience and unlock system makes this game terribly unbalanced. Also, the crash and bullet physics are absolutely dreadful. It's redeemed by the fact that it looks pretty and it's fun to play ONLY IF YOU HAVE FRIENDS PLAYING. It's free, so it's worth a download I suppose. Expand
  57. Jul 10, 2012
    Whats not to love fast paced skillful gameplay with a great visual style and customization, I have to say its one of the best FPS games to come out recently and it free to play, it really is a breath of fresh air from all the copy pasted modern shooters of today, although I do have to complain about balance a bit, it seems that you can buy things that give you a clear advantage over other players some weapons are blatant direct upgrades being simply a re texture of a weapon with boosted damage, but since most modern fps games have less balance than an elephant with one leg i can forgive it. Expand
  58. Apr 12, 2012
    Tribes Ascend brings me way back to the old days when unreal tournament and quake ruled all FPS gamers and games like Tribes found a niche among great shooters because of the twitchy, skill-based gameplay that found it's balance based more on your individual skill level and time played over equipment and guns used. The games classes are well balanced moving from high flying pathfinders to slower & armed to the teeth Brutes... and a several in between. the fact that this gangs is free to play is amazing... and contrary to popular pay to win models, in this Tribes Ascend there is NEVER a point when you hit a ceiling unless you throw down some cash, you can merely speed up the progression process by spending a little. Very very fun game, definitely keeping me occupied in my free time! 10! Expand
  59. Oct 24, 2012
    Having played Tribes Ascend for 50+ hours now, i can honestly say that this game is, second to Unreal Tournament Classic, THE best FPS Multiplayer ever concieved.. and its f2p.. but boy how i do not care giving the Hi-Rez Studios all of my money. If you have some time, and wish to learn a truly skillful teamplayer FPS, try it!
  60. Apr 14, 2012
    Where can I start with this game? Rough edges on the graphics, boring sound effects, running around the map waiting to find SOMEONE, ANYONE to kill, and then suffer due to the atrocious controls, which are by far the worst of any game I have ever played. Not only is the game simply boring, but games often end as completely one-sided as I've seen across any game I've ever played. I realize this is a beta, but the base gameplay of this leaves me with a rotten taste in my mouth. The maps are also far to big, as I spent a good 90% of my time trying to get back to my team. All that is really left to say is: Thank God it was free. Expand
  61. Apr 23, 2012
    AWSOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! You must play this game it is so fun. Really fast passed shooter if you don't like fast pace games then don't play this game. I dont want you comments if you have anything bad to say about it because also its still in beta.
  62. May 12, 2012
    Thus far I've played about 3 hours. It has some interesting movement dynamics. The game is entirely team based however, I don't think there is a community intercom to coordinate. The game also makes the same shotguns for nubs/mgs for pros error, without a stair step for difficulty. It's a decent timewaster, its enjoyable, but it oesn't draw me in with invention or divergent playstyles. Its a fairly 1 track minded shooter without a lot of the options. the pay to compete thing here isn't as bad as say World of Tanks, but it's present nonetheless. I think a 6 is suitable. Collapse
  63. Apr 18, 2012
    This FPS is really amazing, Hi-Rez Studios do an amazing job, Tribes: Ascend is incredible, the graphics are awesome, the gameplay incredible. This game is fantastic.
  64. Apr 12, 2012
    Fast frenetic fun, a breath of fresh air after so many year of Call Of Plod: Modern Walking. Nothing can describe the sheer joy of speed or the sudden nausea that comes when you hit something and lose it. The game really harkens back to the great fast-paced and skilful shooters of the late 90's.

HiRez should also be commended on doing Free2Play right and continuing to engage with the
    community to help improve the game. Expand
  65. May 6, 2012
    This game looks pretty, and is easy to jump in and play. For me, though, I found the physics and controls to be very wonky and unintuitive. The skiing + jet pack stuff just doesn't feel smooth to me, and I never really felt like I was going that fast either (even at speeds where I would never get shot or hit things that I was shooting at). There also seem to be class / weapon balance issues, but that's not unusual for a game like this. I can see why people would enjoy playing this, but it's just not my style I guess. Expand
  66. Jun 28, 2012
    This Free-to-play FPS is one of the best games I have ever played. even in comparison to full price games. It matches all those full-priced games in terms of game play, graphics and best of all it's not pay to win. All weapons can be purchased with in-game XP
  67. May 9, 2012
    This game is one of the best F2P FPS I've played since TF2! The graphics are crisp, the gameplay is awesome, and the sound effects and music adds to the pace of the game...Which is really damn fast!! This game maybe fantastic, but there are somethings that tarnish it's glory. In Tribes: Ascend you will be playing for a long time to unlock one single gun with XP, but Hi-Rez studios gives the option to buy gold which can be used to unlock weapons and equipment. This means that there will be rich kids playing with their fancy guns, but the weapons that all classes start with are decent enough to confront anyone in combat. In terms of balance, each class seems to have their advantages and disadvantage with one exception...The sentinel class which is very weak and doesn't even scratch other classes with it's sniper rifle! Tribes: Ascend does get regular updates which includes new weapons, equipment, skins and maps. Tribes: Ascend is great fun, fast paced and free to play! Expand
  68. Apr 29, 2012
    Really fantastic team based FPS, personally have only problems with very long load times (it appears like game is just not responding), but it did not prevent me from enjoying the game. My only problem is the F2P model that developers use, weapons and upgrades are so expensive (either Gold or EXP) that spending 60$ on game will probably give you just about the half of content now. This is really disappointing. Expand
  69. Apr 12, 2012
    Fantastic game, free to play but not pay to win.

Nine unique classes, lots of maps and a bunch of game modes including the the classic capture the flag.

Great community support and developers who care

Got to go fast....
  70. Apr 12, 2012
    Awesome game! Best free to player shooter I have ever played. Graphics are beautiful, and the gameplay is mind bendingly fast, furious and fun. Just remember: You gotta go fast!!
  71. Apr 12, 2012
    The Tribes Ascend is a good game that makes me feel the fun times. I love to go so so fast, not llama fat E-grab. I also like that game is free and I do not have to pay to learn playing the game!
  72. Apr 12, 2012
    This game is definitely a break from every other shooter out there, requiring a lot of skill, teamwork and speed. Great game, and I hope to see more from this developer in the future.
  73. Apr 12, 2012
    I was tired of running around on the ground in typical shooters. Everything was just feeling too slow. Weapons all felt the same from game to game with nothing really standing out.

I've played Tribes: Ascend since early closed beta, and I've been flying high and skiing fast while getting some of the most satisfying kill shots I've ever experienced in a game. The weapons are unique and
    make for very fun game play. I enjoy the game now and look forward to where it's going.

If you "gotta go fast" in a skill-based F2P title, you gotta play Tribes: Ascend.
  74. Apr 12, 2012
    Awesome game! True to the original and so much fun! Really gorgeous graphics and a fast pace. Love it! And it's free to play. Go play it now, people! :)
  75. Apr 12, 2012
    I started playing Tribes: Ascend during closed Beta, and it was good then, but I've watched as the game continued to get more polished, faster, and better. It's a challenging twitchy shooter that takes place at incredibly high speeds, but in today's pansy FPS market, this is the one game that really stands out as something different from the incredibly stale CoD/BF clones that get cranked out year after year. The challenge feeds my desire to keep playing and getting better, and like a great roller coaster, the high speed keeps me coming back for more. Highly addictive and well put together. The company (Hi-Rez Studios) also seems really laid back and good at listening to the community. I have high hopes for Tribes as it re-enters the gaming world with Ascend. Expand
  76. Apr 12, 2012
    Not a big fan of FPS games. I tried out the beta on a friend's recommendation. Definitely felt different from the others I'd played, in a good way. I had a lot of fun with it. I don't know how the hard-cores will view it, but if you don't live and breathe COD, you may be pleasantly surprised.
  77. Apr 12, 2012
    I am new to the Tribes franchise and enjoyed the challenge of skiing and trying to aim. I really enjoyed the beta and I'm excited that it's finally out!
  78. Apr 22, 2012
    I just wanted to note that its great to see this game revived and to see the responce of a younger generation that may not have known what Tribes even was. Ive played Tribes since the origional. Tribes 2 was by far the best one since this one. This game however brings it all back full circle. Finally i can relive my childhood again! And finally we have a game out there that is worthy of being called a FPS. I only hope that it opens peoples eyes to how skillful a FPS can be. Great game. If you havent tried this yet you owe it to yourself to give it a shot...This was teh game that spawned alot of the inspiration for the FPS games your see today. Expand
  79. Apr 14, 2012
    First proper skill based shooter in years. Delivers exactly what it promises: fast paced awesomeness and that in a free-to-play model. Amazing graphics, amazing gameplay, amazing fun. I'm hooked!
  80. Apr 12, 2012
    Perfect revival of a legendary game. This game is tightly designed around speed and fun and I couldn't have dreamed of a better version of the game (actually thought it might suck like the previous version but it's actually super awesome). Wait, why am I wasting time writing this review? Gotta go fast!
  81. Apr 12, 2012
    Words cannot describe how happy I am to have fun competitive games again. Shazbot 4 life! Fast, great gunplay, and tons of customization for your class (if you're into that).
  82. Apr 12, 2012
    It's pretty hard to go wrong with the price of this game. Even on the completely free model, you can get plenty of enjoyment as the basic kits are fairly viable. Veteran players typically will rip new players apart, however, as the game's pace allows for skilled players to really shine. Beyond the free mode in this game, you can still get plenty of enjoyment for even the cheapest purchases.
  83. Apr 17, 2012
    I am so very happy with this game. The fact that it's free to play, with no real loss in gameplay if you pay nothing, makes it one of the best free to play models I've seen. I'm so happy with the game, actually, that I'm worried that if enough people don't pay anything, that maybe the game's future will be hurt, but I can't imagine that being the case. This game is truly an example of a game that's worth spending some money on, if not to give yourself a little boost, then to support something that is very well made, and fun to play. It's not exactly like Tribes 1, or Tribes 2, and believe me when I say, I played a LOT of Tribes 1 back in the day. It was my most played game back when it was out. It was the reason I'd spend money buying a new video card(wasn't just Nvidia vs ATI/AMD back in those days), so the game would look and play even better. Tribes 1 is one of the greatest games I'd ever played, and while I'm not sure exactly how this one stacks up against the old game, I can definitely say it's faithful to the series. It's different enough to be able to stand on it's own in comparison to Tribes 1, and with some future tweaks, could very well surpass it. I'm confident Hi-Rez will continue to tweak this game for the better, and should some popular Mod servers come about, with mods like Shifter, or any of the Mods that were like that style of gameplay, including some additional weapon slots for classes, and the old glory days of Tribes 1 will be back.
    The game still needs some more optimizing, including more advanced graphics controls, rather than requiring .ini tweaks, and better keybinding, but I can't really hold them against the game when it JUST came out of beta, and they've been updating it so much, that I could see where that would be regarded as a lesser issue that'll be taken care of in time. Therefore, I can't take a point off, and that's pretty much the only thing that'd drop this down to a 9. I'm actually giving this a 10. If you can make a game that reminds me fondly of one of the previous 10s in my gaming history, then you sir, get a 10 as well. A new System Shock that was as good or better than System Shock 2 would be another game that'd get a 10 out of me.
  84. Apr 12, 2012
    Tribes Ascend really has ascended above the Run and Gun copycats currently being played to death. Combining skiing and jetpacking has lead to a full all-axis fighting experience that only the previous tribes iterations have come close to duplicating.

You do require a beefy computer to run, but if you do you'll be treated to a beautiful game, if you don't then you're really going to
    struggle as the game demands fluidity in all areas.

Stick with it through the tough learning curve and if you can, spend some $ to get some extra loadouts.
  85. Jun 27, 2012
    Great game. Not your typical shooter. Lots of fun and a nice change of pace form all the generic modern shooters on the market. Graphics comparable to a retail product with no cost upfront. All unlocks can be attained through simply playing the game, so you will not be dominated by paid weapons you cannot attain without paying real money.

Shooting and hit detection seem rock solid. No
    glaring glitches that I have seen so far on my system. The developers are constantly tweeking and balancing this game, as well as adding new content. They seem to listen to community feedback pretty well so even when the do mess up and nerf or buff something the community didn't ask for or want. They are pretty good about fixing it or finding a middle ground between their vision and that of the community. Excellent game, well worth a try. The skiing and flying make it very fun but there is a bit of a learning curve. Some of the weapons are extremely hard to master and properly utilize. To me that just adds depth and re-playbility to the game. Always something new to master! Well worth the price of... 0 Dollars! Expand
  86. Apr 13, 2012
    LOVE this game. Such a brilliant departure from the stale FPS format!

I used to play heaps of COD and CS but after years of play I got really bored with it and eventually gave up on playing multiplayer FPS online. As soon as this arrived in closed beta I was all over it and haven't been able to get enough! Highly recommended!
  87. Apr 13, 2012
    This game is completely blowing away all of the CoD copies. I am tribes vet, playing every game in the series (except for the console spinoff) and I have to say this game did not let me down. I have been playing the game since closed beta, with every patch the game gets better and better. Classes are very balanced, the maps dont get old (i want more though lol!), the prices are reasonable, and best of all, its FREE. This and TF2 are the two best F2P games on the market. I'd reccomend any PC gamer to check this game out, the skiing never gets old, even if you're not good at aiming ,you can get good at skiing and cap flags lol. Expand
  88. nja
    Apr 13, 2012
    Is the Free 2 Play (F2P) model friend or foe? In my opinion, it is friendly. Compared to another F2P shooter I loved, Crimecraft, you are not â
  89. Apr 13, 2012
    I have been playing Tribes Ascend for a while now, since the earliest days of closed beta, and I have been very pleased with the game so far, and I am happy to note that the game will continue to be developed, with more content added. This includes, but is not limited to: private servers and server flags, more weapons, more packs, more perks, vanity skins, voice packs (supposedly), and other such delights. This game is a breath of fresh air from the cookie cutter games we've all been enduring these past years. The pace is well set and fun, and I don't find myself ever getting bored or angry with this game. I've been playing on a competetive level, working on the gameshrine ladder at the moment, and can say that the balance for high level competetive play is well done and rounded. Look up tribescast.com to watch some of the competetive matches, some of them are pretty exciting. Everybody i've gotten to try the game, including some who were not very keen on the idea of a game that wasn't what they were used to, has become enthralled with the game and continue to play and become tribal addicts.
    The past iterations of tribes are preserved well, but it's not the same game, and I mean that in a good way. There was a stale quality about the older tribes that kept people from playing it, even though it's still available there are few players who still frequent the servers. The game is brought to levels that modernize the franchise without compromising it's integrity, and I think HR has done a great job in recreating the series.
    Some people may be wary of free to play games, but this is one game that will benefit greatly from the format. For one thing, there will be no real shortage of players on the servers, I rarely can find a server that is anything less than 3/4 full on the east coast servers, and I'm often gaming from 2am to 6am. The f2p model also allows for monetary support for the aforementioned continued development of the game. Some may have concerns about unlockable classes and weapons, but for the most part (80-90%), they are all sidegrades, and you are given the 3 most versatile classes in the game to begin with. If you don't want to pay any money to HR to play, you still get a great game, but 10 dollars or so will get you some unlocks or an xp boost and permanent vip status, boosting your xp permanently. Personally, I feel the game as is would be fair in the price range of 30 - 50 dollars, but that's just my perspective.
    I would suggest you try playing the game, and though it might take some getting used to at first, learn to ski, find a class that suits your playstyle, and enjoy the game. After all, what do you have to lose on a free game?
  90. Oct 29, 2012
    I just started playing this a couple days ago, and it has been the most fun I've had gaming in a long time. So much different than every other shooter. Extremely fast paced and just downright fun. It is also free to play which is amazing for a game of this caliber. People whining that this game is pay to win are stupid. Yes, you can pay to buy upgrades that help you out but you can also get them by just playing the game.. Yes, it takes a long time to get them without playing, but its FREE. This game could easily retail for $60. Besides, for $20-$30 you can pretty much unlock everything that would be relevant to your play style. For being a free game, this is definitely a must to check out and will be the most refreshing shooter you've played. Expand
  91. Apr 14, 2012
    A fantastic game ruined by terrible netcode. There is no lag compensation for projectiles and very poor interpolation of player movement, making it a frustrating mess to play with or against anyone above LAN level latency. Issues like these should never have made it out of beta.
  92. May 7, 2012
    You would have to be dead not to enjoy this! Plus, it's free - so don't read any more reviews, just download it and make up your own mind :) I would say it will take you less than 10 minutes before you are totally addicted. I just can't express how much fun it is to be hurtling through the air, turning in mid-stream to lob a grenade at a guy that just flew past you, to have it blow up in his face. Seriously good fun, and I bought myself a gaming mouse just for this. I don't normally play FPS games, but this is the most fun I have had since Swingball when I was about 7 years old. Excellent, excellent game!! Expand
  93. Apr 14, 2012
    One of the best fps games Ive ever played. Its free to play, fast paced, requires precision aiming, teamwork and coordination, has a high skill cap and will be a great Esport but is still fun to play casually. >
  94. Apr 14, 2012
    I love this game! F2P. The game is officially out now and I would like to say that it is amazing. I would recommend get the game right away what are you waiting for! www.tribesascend.com
  95. Apr 15, 2012
    Stunning contribution to the Tribes series. The best FPS series of all times continues with a real gem. I'm non-stop playing this game and don't need any other shooter for the next 3 years.
  96. Apr 15, 2012
    Tribes: Ascend is a high-speed shooter in the vein of UT or Quake. T:A is a game that rewards player skill and teamwork. From the get-go it will be clear that the game does have a learning curve, and people further along it will experience more success in matches. From a technical standpoint, the game is well-optimized and has servers available on various regions including the oft-left out Oceanic region. Most of the maps are well designed and fun to play. There are tons of viable strategies for each. For me, the best maps are Crossfire, a small very fast map with two ships hovering above the landscape; Katabatic, a snowy map with giant peaks and Raindance, a remake of a classic map from the original Tribes. One rarely discussed characteristic of the game is its community. Tribes: Ascend has a healthy competitive scene and heaps of helpful players within its community. It is not uncommon for veteran players to put out tutorial content for newer players. Some of the more well-known players, like Blinks from Egocentric will often answer questions on his live streams. All fans of the first-person shooter genre owe it to themselves to give this a try. The game is free, and all content is unlockable through EXP with the exception of cosmetic skins. What there is to unlock can be considered sidegrades and unnecessary for player success. Expand
  97. Apr 16, 2012
    I never thought I'd say it, but I'm really enjoying playing a free to play game. There's a reason for this though, Tribes: Ascend is not your normal free to play experience. Its not a "pay to win" style of game like a lot of F2P mmorpgs, you actually don't even need to pay a dime to get the full experience out of the game. What you get, for absolutely no money, is one of the fastest and most entertaining shooters to have ever come out. The combat is mind bogglingly fast, but at the same time you can play it however you want. Lets say your playing a CTF map, which seems to be one of the strongest game modes in the game. Like face contorting speed? Pick a light armored class and try to capture the flag, finding the fastest route between your base and the enemy base without getting picked off by other players, vehicles, or the surprisingly strong and accurate base turrets. Looking for a more traditional shooter experience? Pick a heavy class and lay down the law with superior defense and high damage, defending your base generator from attack to keep your depoyables and base turrets firing strong. More of a middle of the road kind of player? Don't know a map and how you should play it? Want to do a little bit of everything? Play a medium armored class and have free range of what you want to do on the battlefield. Even with all of the different ways you can play this game, and all of the different game modes that come with it (team deathmatch, arena, ctf, and ranked servers coming soon) the game is surprisingly well balanced. There is no one class that is superior to another and anyone can kill anyone else as long as you know your classes capabilities and fighting style. This is awesome considering you CAN pay for an in game currency of gold, which you can purchase new weapons and classes. But all your really buying is a different way to play the game. NOT buying a superweapon. Which is nice. This is a great shooter experience for anyone who likes FPS games. You wont be disappointed. Expand
  98. Apr 16, 2012
    It's free-to-play, the model is pretty fair too, you can get anything with experience, but you would just get it faster if you pay, and the prices are very fair. This game is amazing though. I played it in all my free time this past weekend. It's the first true throwback to fast paced shooters of old in a loooong time. Everything from learning how to ski properly to timing your shots is immensely satisfying. I really think everyone should try it. Expand
  99. Apr 16, 2012
    Decent game at first, but once you gain experience you really start to see a lot of glaring issues.

For starters, the menu structure is horrible and feels like something designed for consoles. Attempting to change a weapon or perk in the middle of a game is frustrating and time consuming. It takes a bunch of mouse clicks and key presses just to change 1 item.

Weapons lack balance! The
    most superior weapons in the game are machine guns and sniper rifles, while the iconic weapons like the spinfusor fail to keep pace in outdoor fights. If you come across a midfield battle against a machine gun and don't have one equipped yourself, chances are you're going to die in that fight 95% of the time. Especially with the terrible design decision to make your screen compulsively shake every time a bullet hits you. Then you have the snipers that can cover an entire map single handely. It's pathetic when one sniper can shut down a whole team of cappers.

Shrike lacks balance! Again, another weapon in the game that can single handely dictate the pace of almost any game. A decent shrike pilot can run over countless cappers with absolutely no drawbacks. The shrike is also literally impossible to hit with any weapon weapon unless it's near the ground. The only real threat to a shrike pilot is the saberlauncher and everyone knows what a joke that weapon is. It's more of an annoyance to a pilot than a threat. Then you have people who will just buy a shrike and go technician and use cheap glitches like mid-air repairing, where the person hops out of his airplane mid-air, lands on the shrike and fixes it while it floats in the air. It esentially makes the shrike invicible and impossible to kill and nullifying any damage you do to it.

Netcode is awful. If anything is above 80ms ping, the gameplay is pretty bad. Everything becomes extremely jumpy and hard to hit. Have fun trying to catch some guy that takes the flag and is lagging. He will be telporting and jumping all over the place making it impossible to land a hit. Then there is also the horrible hit detection, even with normal pings. When you're involved in a chase after someone at a fast speed and shooting at them, you will at times see an explosion land directly on your opponent or very close to his character model, but it won't deal any damage.

Chasing a flag carrier is impossible at high speeds. Trying to catch up to someone who just took your flag at 250+ speed from a standstil flat land is extremely hard. Especially with the vast majority of back to front routes that let you cap the flag in a few seconds flat, or someone that is on a. Extremely frustrating game mechanic in CTF and probably why barely anyone ever chases in pub games. The only time you will see anyone go chasing the flag is when it's a very slow guy taking it and walking off with it.

No proper team balance. Countless pub games are team stacked and end in 5-0 scores very frequently.

A good majrority of people agree that most of the maps are awful, and the only good ones are the ones that are ported from earlier tribes games.

Wonky physics that makes you feel like you're floating instead of actually flying. Feels like a hover pack instead of a jetpack.
  100. Apr 16, 2012
    This is the best FPS available. Learning curve/skill ceiling is quite a bit higher than other FPS's, but don't let that discourage you. Once you learn the ropes, you will become hooked. There isn't quite anything like performing an e-grab, while mid-airing the flag carrier and returning the flag at the same time, while skiing backwards while trying to dodge obstacles, while still carrying the flag, while the entire enemy team is chasing you, while shooting at them the entire time, while a shrike is chasing you and a doombringer's missle is heading your way. You just can't beat it. You will become addicted to the sound you hear when you mid-air someone. It's so satisfying. Kills in other games aren't nearly as rewarding. And the speed! Oh, the speed, THE SPEED! "Gotta go fast!" I've tried going back to some other games I played before T:A, like the CoD and BF series, and they are just entirely TOO SLOW and boring. I use to have fun in those games, now I do not. T:A has spoiled me rotten. Download this game! It's F2P, so there's nothing to lose! I can already tell I will be playing this game for years to come. https://account.hirezstudios.com/tribesascend/?referral=1390752&utm_campaign=email

101. May 12, 2012

1. Aug 31, 2012
    Contrary to the classic gameplay of an FPS that requires constant cover, slow advances, crouching and prone positioning, the battles of Ascend happen on the ground, as well as in the air and in tremendous speeds- thus changing drastically the classic tactical approaches of the genre. It's a breath of fresh air in the online FPS world. [September 2012]
    Arcade online shooter surprises with fresh and fast paced playability and is a very good alternative to paid services with its free-to-play model. [Issue#220]
  3. Jun 12, 2012
    Tribes: Ascend is a worthy successor to its forebears, bringing the same inimitable, hectic play style married to graphics that will stretch even the most capable machine.