7.7

1. Apr 12, 2012
    I was tired of running around on the ground in typical shooters. Everything was just feeling too slow. Weapons all felt the same from game to game with nothing really standing out.

I've played Tribes: Ascend since early closed beta, and I've been flying high and skiing fast while getting some of the most satisfying kill shots I've ever experienced in a game. The weapons are unique and make for very fun game play. I enjoy the game now and look forward to where it's going.

If you "gotta go fast" in a skill-based F2P title, you gotta play Tribes: Ascend.
  2. Apr 12, 2012
    Tribes Ascend brings me way back to the old days when unreal tournament and quake ruled all FPS gamers and games like Tribes found a niche among great shooters because of the twitchy, skill-based gameplay that found it's balance based more on your individual skill level and time played over equipment and guns used. The games classes are well balanced moving from high flying pathfinders toTribes Ascend brings me way back to the old days when unreal tournament and quake ruled all FPS gamers and games like Tribes found a niche among great shooters because of the twitchy, skill-based gameplay that found it's balance based more on your individual skill level and time played over equipment and guns used. The games classes are well balanced moving from high flying pathfinders to slower & armed to the teeth Brutes... and a several in between. the fact that this gangs is free to play is amazing... and contrary to popular pay to win models, in this Tribes Ascend there is NEVER a point when you hit a ceiling unless you throw down some cash, you can merely speed up the progression process by spending a little. Very very fun game, definitely keeping me occupied in my free time! 10! Collapse
  3. Apr 12, 2012
    The Tribes Ascend is a good game that makes me feel the fun times. I love to go so so fast, not llama fat E-grab. I also like that game is free and I do not have to pay to learn playing the game!
  4. Apr 12, 2012
    This review is for the beta up 'till april 10th. Good:
    -The game is fast paced, the maps are well designed and it's generally fun and addictive
    -the ski mechanic feels new and cool effectively makes big maps fast to travel on foot -vehicles are cool -good optimization options (except for the mouse in the menu) Bad: -I miss faster weaponry -I also miss more color diversity in some maps -the
    This review is for the beta up 'till april 10th. Good:
    -vehicles are cool
    -good optimization options (except for the mouse in the menu)
    Bad:
    -I miss faster weaponry -I also miss more color diversity in some maps
    -the leveling up system is a little slow for non paying users (but maybe that's the point of it)
    -the paid perks are too expensive right now.
  5. Apr 12, 2012
    This game is definitely a break from every other shooter out there, requiring a lot of skill, teamwork and speed. Great game, and I hope to see more from this developer in the future.
  6. Apr 12, 2012
    Awesome game! True to the original and so much fun! Really gorgeous graphics and a fast pace. Love it! And it's free to play. Go play it now, people! :)
  7. Apr 12, 2012
    At first I was worried that Hi-Rez Studios would screw the Tribes formula (like what Irrational Games did) but now I want them to make the rest of the Tribes games if they can, The Graphics are great the maps are fun and huge and we still have the good ole' game mechanics of Tribes 2. Plus its Free to Play!
  8. Apr 13, 2012
    LOVE this game. Such a brilliant departure from the stale FPS format!

I used to play heaps of COD and CS but after years of play I got really bored with it and eventually gave up on playing multiplayer FPS online. As soon as this arrived in closed beta I was all over it and haven't been able to get enough! Highly recommended!
  9. Apr 12, 2012
    Not a big fan of FPS games. I tried out the beta on a friend's recommendation. Definitely felt different from the others I'd played, in a good way. I had a lot of fun with it. I don't know how the hard-cores will view it, but if you don't live and breathe COD, you may be pleasantly surprised.
  10. Apr 12, 2012
    Fantastic game, free to play but not pay to win.

Nine unique classes, lots of maps and a bunch of game modes including the the classic capture the flag.

Great community support and developers who care

Got to go fast....
  11. Apr 12, 2012
    Awesome game! Best free to player shooter I have ever played. Graphics are beautiful, and the gameplay is mind bendingly fast, furious and fun. Just remember: You gotta go fast!!
  12. May 22, 2012
    A great fun game, but you will soon realise that overpowered weapons are released every month, meaning that if you do not get them straight away you will be at a severe disadvantage. Then one month later, a nerf to the old and overpower the new. Really is a shame as they had a great product at the start. So a month has passed since I wrote the paragraph above, guess what, nerfed the old OPA great fun game, but you will soon realise that overpowered weapons are released every month, meaning that if you do not get them straight away you will be at a severe disadvantage. Then one month later, a nerf to the old and overpower the new. Really is a shame as they had a great product at the start. So a month has passed since I wrote the paragraph above, guess what, nerfed the old OP weapons, released an attempt at a balanced OP weapon. Automatics dominate the game to the point that it is just another shooter, no point in going fast because you will be gunned down, no point in using any other weapon other than the smgs because if you are not using them, you will constantly die to them, this really drags the gameplay down, from a fast paced shooter to another spray and pray title.

Loads of issues with the mechanics, badly optimised, every patch lowers framerates and they do not fix any problems instead they focus on releasing more content to get a quick dollar. I very much doubt this game will last longer than another couple of months unless drastic changes take place, even then it will probably be too late as the playerbase is already dropping fast. It is getting harder and harder to get a full game.

They really have shot themselves in the foot by focussing on money grabs instead of proper balance and fixing core issues.

Don't let me put you off, try the game out for yourself, it is free after all. Just do not rush into buying gold, you will probably not spend it. Adios Tribes Ascend, you could've/should've been so great.
  13. Apr 16, 2012
    Decent game at first, but once you gain experience you really start to see a lot of glaring issues.

For starters, the menu structure is horrible and feels like something designed for consoles. Attempting to change a weapon or perk in the middle of a game is frustrating and time consuming. It takes a bunch of mouse clicks and key presses just to change 1 item. Weapons lack balance! The

Weapons lack balance! The most superior weapons in the game are machine guns and sniper rifles, while the iconic weapons like the spinfusor fail to keep pace in outdoor fights. If you come across a midfield battle against a machine gun and don't have one equipped yourself, chances are you're going to die in that fight 95% of the time. Especially with the terrible design decision to make your screen compulsively shake every time a bullet hits you. Then you have the snipers that can cover an entire map single handely. It's pathetic when one sniper can shut down a whole team of cappers.

Shrike lacks balance! Again, another weapon in the game that can single handely dictate the pace of almost any game. A decent shrike pilot can run over countless cappers with absolutely no drawbacks. The shrike is also literally impossible to hit with any weapon weapon unless it's near the ground. The only real threat to a shrike pilot is the saberlauncher and everyone knows what a joke that weapon is. It's more of an annoyance to a pilot than a threat. Then you have people who will just buy a shrike and go technician and use cheap glitches like mid-air repairing, where the person hops out of his airplane mid-air, lands on the shrike and fixes it while it floats in the air. It esentially makes the shrike invicible and impossible to kill and nullifying any damage you do to it.

Netcode is awful. If anything is above 80ms ping, the gameplay is pretty bad. Everything becomes extremely jumpy and hard to hit. Have fun trying to catch some guy that takes the flag and is lagging. He will be telporting and jumping all over the place making it impossible to land a hit. Then there is also the horrible hit detection, even with normal pings. When you're involved in a chase after someone at a fast speed and shooting at them, you will at times see an explosion land directly on your opponent or very close to his character model, but it won't deal any damage.

Chasing a flag carrier is impossible at high speeds. Trying to catch up to someone who just took your flag at 250+ speed from a standstil flat land is extremely hard. Especially with the vast majority of back to front routes that let you cap the flag in a few seconds flat, or someone that is on a. Extremely frustrating game mechanic in CTF and probably why barely anyone ever chases in pub games. The only time you will see anyone go chasing the flag is when it's a very slow guy taking it and walking off with it.

No proper team balance. Countless pub games are team stacked and end in 5-0 scores very frequently.

A good majrority of people agree that most of the maps are awful, and the only good ones are the ones that are ported from earlier tribes games.

Wonky physics that makes you feel like you're floating instead of actually flying. Feels like a hover pack instead of a jetpack.
  14. Apr 12, 2012
    A competitive multilayer shooter that doesn't feel like it was developed for thumb sticks, or the people that use them.

-Unique
    -Solid Graphics
    -Great Gameplay
    -Strong Community
    -Fantastic Developer

I can find no issue with this shooter, either you'll like it or you wont. I'm in the former camp.
  15. Apr 12, 2012
    I am new to the Tribes franchise and enjoyed the challenge of skiing and trying to aim. I really enjoyed the beta and I'm excited that it's finally out!
  16. nja
    Apr 13, 2012
    Is the Free 2 Play (F2P) model friend or foe? In my opinion, it is friendly. Compared to another F2P shooter I loved, Crimecraft, you are not â
  17. Apr 12, 2012
    Words cannot describe how happy I am to have fun competitive games again. Shazbot 4 life! Fast, great gunplay, and tons of customization for your class (if you're into that).
  18. Apr 17, 2012
    I was very surprised to be able to play this for free. Tribes 2 was my favorite game for a long time and now its predecessor was FTP??? Life was great. Then I spent a lot of money on gold. Life is still great. Download it and continue to build this community. It's a great game with so many options. Don't miss out!
  19. Apr 15, 2012
    Stunning contribution to the Tribes series. The best FPS series of all times continues with a real gem. I'm non-stop playing this game and don't need any other shooter for the next 3 years.
  20. Apr 15, 2012
    Tribes: Ascend is a high-speed shooter in the vein of UT or Quake. T:A is a game that rewards player skill and teamwork. From the get-go it will be clear that the game does have a learning curve, and people further along it will experience more success in matches. From a technical standpoint, the game is well-optimized and has servers available on various regions including the oft-left outTribes: Ascend is a high-speed shooter in the vein of UT or Quake. T:A is a game that rewards player skill and teamwork. From the get-go it will be clear that the game does have a learning curve, and people further along it will experience more success in matches. From a technical standpoint, the game is well-optimized and has servers available on various regions including the oft-left out Oceanic region. Most of the maps are well designed and fun to play. There are tons of viable strategies for each. For me, the best maps are Crossfire, a small very fast map with two ships hovering above the landscape; Katabatic, a snowy map with giant peaks and Raindance, a remake of a classic map from the original Tribes. One rarely discussed characteristic of the game is its community. Tribes: Ascend has a healthy competitive scene and heaps of helpful players within its community. It is not uncommon for veteran players to put out tutorial content for newer players. Some of the more well-known players, like Blinks from Egocentric will often answer questions on his live streams. All fans of the first-person shooter genre owe it to themselves to give this a try. The game is free, and all content is unlockable through EXP with the exception of cosmetic skins. What there is to unlock can be considered sidegrades and unnecessary for player success. Expand
  21. Apr 16, 2012
    It's free-to-play, the model is pretty fair too, you can get anything with experience, but you would just get it faster if you pay, and the prices are very fair. This game is amazing though. I played it in all my free time this past weekend. It's the first true throwback to fast paced shooters of old in a loooong time. Everything from learning how to ski properly to timing your shots isIt's free-to-play, the model is pretty fair too, you can get anything with experience, but you would just get it faster if you pay, and the prices are very fair. This game is amazing though. I played it in all my free time this past weekend. It's the first true throwback to fast paced shooters of old in a loooong time. Everything from learning how to ski properly to timing your shots is immensely satisfying. I really think everyone should try it. Expand
  22. Apr 16, 2012
    This is the best FPS available. Learning curve/skill ceiling is quite a bit higher than other FPS's, but don't let that discourage you. Once you learn the ropes, you will become hooked. There isn't quite anything like performing an e-grab, while mid-airing the flag carrier and returning the flag at the same time, while skiing backwards while trying to dodge obstacles, while stillThis is the best FPS available. Learning curve/skill ceiling is quite a bit higher than other FPS's, but don't let that discourage you. Once you learn the ropes, you will become hooked. There isn't quite anything like performing an e-grab, while mid-airing the flag carrier and returning the flag at the same time, while skiing backwards while trying to dodge obstacles, while still carrying the flag, while the entire enemy team is chasing you, while shooting at them the entire time, while a shrike is chasing you and a doombringer's missle is heading your way. You just can't beat it. You will become addicted to the sound you hear when you mid-air someone. It's so satisfying. Kills in other games aren't nearly as rewarding. And the speed! Oh, the speed, THE SPEED! "Gotta go fast!" I've tried going back to some other games I played before T:A, like the CoD and BF series, and they are just entirely TOO SLOW and boring. I use to have fun in those games, now I do not. T:A has spoiled me rotten. Download this game! It's F2P, so there's nothing to lose! I can already tell I will be playing this game for years to come. https://account.hirezstudios.com/tribesascend/?referral=1390752&utm_campaign=email

23. Apr 12, 2012
    Well i've been playing (by playing i mean hooked on) this since november, and this game is amazing. Most people who read this have never played a tribes game, so listen: forget everything you know about shooters. Forget your piece of **** tacticool "reality simulator" (bloody screen SO REAL) shooters. Forget walking, crouching and going prone. Walking is what gets you killed and the onlyWell i've been playing (by playing i mean hooked on) this since november, and this game is amazing. Most people who read this have never played a tribes game, so listen: forget everything you know about shooters. Forget your piece of **** tacticool "reality simulator" (bloody screen SO REAL) shooters. Forget walking, crouching and going prone. Walking is what gets you killed and the only people who go prone are dead guys. This game is about speed, jetpacking and sliding downhill with speeds exceeding 300km/h while shooting projectile and ballistic weapons at enemies going at comparable speeds. It's completely insane and the best shooter on the market today. Expand
  24. Apr 12, 2012
    Fast frenetic fun, a breath of fresh air after so many year of Call Of Plod: Modern Walking. Nothing can describe the sheer joy of speed or the sudden nausea that comes when you hit something and lose it. The game really harkens back to the great fast-paced and skilful shooters of the late 90's.

HiRez should also be commended on doing Free2Play right and continuing to engage with the community to help improve the game.
  25. Apr 13, 2012
    This game is completely blowing away all of the CoD copies. I am tribes vet, playing every game in the series (except for the console spinoff) and I have to say this game did not let me down. I have been playing the game since closed beta, with every patch the game gets better and better. Classes are very balanced, the maps dont get old (i want more though lol!), the prices are reasonable,This game is completely blowing away all of the CoD copies. I am tribes vet, playing every game in the series (except for the console spinoff) and I have to say this game did not let me down. I have been playing the game since closed beta, with every patch the game gets better and better. Classes are very balanced, the maps dont get old (i want more though lol!), the prices are reasonable, and best of all, its FREE. This and TF2 are the two best F2P games on the market. I'd reccomend any PC gamer to check this game out, the skiing never gets old, even if you're not good at aiming ,you can get good at skiing and cap flags lol. Expand
  26. Apr 17, 2012
    This game reminded me my childhood with quake 2 CTF , really refreshing in age of cod/bf3.Try it since its free , its big chance that it will suck you in.I would give it 10/10 if weapons mods wasnt so expensive (xp).
  27. Apr 16, 2012
    I never thought I'd say it, but I'm really enjoying playing a free to play game. There's a reason for this though, Tribes: Ascend is not your normal free to play experience. Its not a "pay to win" style of game like a lot of F2P mmorpgs, you actually don't even need to pay a dime to get the full experience out of the game. What you get, for absolutely no money, is one of the fastest andI never thought I'd say it, but I'm really enjoying playing a free to play game. There's a reason for this though, Tribes: Ascend is not your normal free to play experience. Its not a "pay to win" style of game like a lot of F2P mmorpgs, you actually don't even need to pay a dime to get the full experience out of the game. What you get, for absolutely no money, is one of the fastest and most entertaining shooters to have ever come out. The combat is mind bogglingly fast, but at the same time you can play it however you want. Lets say your playing a CTF map, which seems to be one of the strongest game modes in the game. Like face contorting speed? Pick a light armored class and try to capture the flag, finding the fastest route between your base and the enemy base without getting picked off by other players, vehicles, or the surprisingly strong and accurate base turrets. Looking for a more traditional shooter experience? Pick a heavy class and lay down the law with superior defense and high damage, defending your base generator from attack to keep your depoyables and base turrets firing strong. More of a middle of the road kind of player? Don't know a map and how you should play it? Want to do a little bit of everything? Play a medium armored class and have free range of what you want to do on the battlefield. Even with all of the different ways you can play this game, and all of the different game modes that come with it (team deathmatch, arena, ctf, and ranked servers coming soon) the game is surprisingly well balanced. There is no one class that is superior to another and anyone can kill anyone else as long as you know your classes capabilities and fighting style. This is awesome considering you CAN pay for an in game currency of gold, which you can purchase new weapons and classes. But all your really buying is a different way to play the game. NOT buying a superweapon. Which is nice. This is a great shooter experience for anyone who likes FPS games. You wont be disappointed. Expand
  28. Apr 17, 2012
    This game is so much fun and fast paced, it's addictive as crack. This is absolutely the best FPS I've played in years, and is a groundbreaking achievement as to what free-to-play games can be.

After a long period of beta testing and tweaking, the official release is very balanced and polished. The menus and interface are super user friendly, and there isn't a game around that makes it easier to jump into the action.

I highly recommend you try this game, after all, it's free!
  29. Apr 13, 2012
    Absolutely brilliant game. If you liked Star Siege Tribes, you'll love this game, it's a total throwback to the old school. It is definitely a different type of play style when you compare it to something like Modern Warfare. Also, to anyone comparing this to Halo, let me say this; Tribes was first. For free too? Definitely get it. I put it up there with TF2.
  30. Apr 12, 2012
    Do you like fast paced,old school shooters?Well,if you do,you must have been waiting for another one for years.The waiting's over.Tribes Ascend is what you are looking for.This is the kind of shooter PC community deserves.Designed for PC,no hitscan weapons,you need to go fast and shoot efficiently,a lot of teamplay involved.Hi-rez should be praised for a product like this.Graphics are asDo you like fast paced,old school shooters?Well,if you do,you must have been waiting for another one for years.The waiting's over.Tribes Ascend is what you are looking for.This is the kind of shooter PC community deserves.Designed for PC,no hitscan weapons,you need to go fast and shoot efficiently,a lot of teamplay involved.Hi-rez should be praised for a product like this.Graphics are as good as UE3 can get,the style is awesome and unique,gameplay is satisfying and rewards the skilled players.What else would you expect from a Multiplayer shooter?Oh wait,it's FREE to play as well!

We surely need more games like this.Thank you hi-rez studios.
  31. Apr 12, 2012

1. Aug 31, 2012
    Contrary to the classic gameplay of an FPS that requires constant cover, slow advances, crouching and prone positioning, the battles of Ascend happen on the ground, as well as in the air and in tremendous speeds- thus changing drastically the classic tactical approaches of the genre. It's a breath of fresh air in the online FPS world. [September 2012]
    Arcade online shooter surprises with fresh and fast paced playability and is a very good alternative to paid services with its free-to-play model. [Issue#220]
  3. Jun 12, 2012
    Tribes: Ascend is a worthy successor to its forebears, bringing the same inimitable, hectic play style married to graphics that will stretch even the most capable machine.