Tribes: Ascend PC

7.8

1. Aug 10, 2012
    It's comeback of very fresh series and great evidence that games similiar to old school FPS games (Increadibly high skill gap, very fast gameplay) are still great and haven't become worse. It lacks in reminder of how great singleplayer campaigns can be made without overscripting, but who cares! Even having multiplayer only game is enough!

The fresh gameplay works fantastically. It

The fresh gameplay works fantastically. It doesn't work as well in closed enviroments when compared to open enviroments due to the game's explosive focus. But it still works. Every kill feels very satisfying, making you play the game longer and longer.

But sure this can't be just praising of the game? Well, there are few weapons, which would take forever to unlock without using real money. Yes, there needs to be a way for the developers to have money, but when the only primary explosive weapon of a specific class is Pay-2-Use, it does get a little annoying. As a good thing though, the game isin't Pay-2-Win, even with weapons like that.

Can I honestly find any other bad things? No. So just like many others, I recommend this game. Its quality flies over 99.9999% of the other FPS games released today.
  2. Apr 17, 2012
    I was very surprised to be able to play this for free. Tribes 2 was my favorite game for a long time and now its predecessor was FTP??? Life was great. Then I spent a lot of money on gold. Life is still great. Download it and continue to build this community. It's a great game with so many options. Don't miss out!
  3. Jun 28, 2012
    Really fantastic, easily the best FPS Shooter to be released since Team Fortress 2. The game is f2p, but don't let that scare you; all equipment can be unlocked via normal play (like TF2) and no weapons are exclusive to paying users. Virtually no other recent MP shooter rewards skill and strategy as well as Tribes does, I never felt I was being randomly killed or the situation was outsideReally fantastic, easily the best FPS Shooter to be released since Team Fortress 2. The game is f2p, but don't let that scare you; all equipment can be unlocked via normal play (like TF2) and no weapons are exclusive to paying users. Virtually no other recent MP shooter rewards skill and strategy as well as Tribes does, I never felt I was being randomly killed or the situation was outside my control. The graphics and design are slick and polished, the weapons feel great, and theres heaps of play styles (from defensive turret building, to stealthy infiltration to gung-ho heavy weapons)

The pay model is virtually identical to TF2; and hence very fair. In fact I'd say Tribes pay model is probably fairer since you can choose what you unlock with XP (rather than TF2's random drops)
  4. Apr 12, 2012
    This review is for the beta up 'till april 10th. Good:
    -The game is fast paced, the maps are well designed and it's generally fun and addictive
    -the ski mechanic feels new and cool effectively makes big maps fast to travel on foot -vehicles are cool -good optimization options (except for the mouse in the menu) Bad: -I miss faster weaponry -I also miss more color diversity in some maps -the
    This review is for the beta up 'till april 10th. Good:
    -vehicles are cool
    -good optimization options (except for the mouse in the menu)
    Bad:
    -I miss faster weaponry -I also miss more color diversity in some maps
    -the leveling up system is a little slow for non paying users (but maybe that's the point of it)
    -the paid perks are too expensive right now.
  5. Apr 13, 2012
    The first FREE game to deserve Game of The Year! or at least FPS of the year. Tribes: Ascend blew me away with the graphics and the fast, fun combat. At first it is hard to ski around and hit people but really fun once you get used to it.
  6. Apr 12, 2012
    The game is officially out now and I would like to say that it is amazing. The speed, the shooting, the skiing. It all feels awesome. I would recommend that everyone check this game out immediately.
  7. Apr 13, 2012
    Absolutely brilliant game. If you liked Star Siege Tribes, you'll love this game, it's a total throwback to the old school. It is definitely a different type of play style when you compare it to something like Modern Warfare. Also, to anyone comparing this to Halo, let me say this; Tribes was first. For free too? Definitely get it. I put it up there with TF2.
  8. Apr 28, 2012
    Fantastic game, the Tribes 2 style and community being resurrected, hell yeah ! Not only is it A Tribes game done right, it is free to play !
    But honestly, the $50 package is by far the best and you won't regret it.
    Also please gives some kudos on Twitter to Chris Rickwood (@chrisrickwood).
    He is the genius composer behind that awesome music.
    Really, that game has everything right, TRY IT !!
  9. Apr 14, 2012
    I've been playing non-stop since the game was released and I have to say that Hi-Rez have made a big step up from Global Agenda. This is a lot more fun and it's what the users want. Free to Play where most things are unlock able with xp earned while playing (Paying money doesn't give any combat advantage). Fast paced action, easy to play but hard to master.
  10. Apr 15, 2012
    The golden age of FPS games is returning! Tribes Ascend is fast and skill based - nothing like the "realistic" shooters peddled primarily on consoles. I've only been playing for a few hours, but already I find the gameplay deeply satisfying. Some kills are easy, but the hardest of them mean chasing that bastard across the whole map - at break neck speed (skiing) peppering them with theThe golden age of FPS games is returning! Tribes Ascend is fast and skill based - nothing like the "realistic" shooters peddled primarily on consoles. I've only been playing for a few hours, but already I find the gameplay deeply satisfying. Some kills are easy, but the hardest of them mean chasing that bastard across the whole map - at break neck speed (skiing) peppering them with the assault rifle the whole time! Tons of fun!

I find the store/upgrades are a little hard to navigate and understand, but some things are simple enough to understand (i.e. +4 clip size, +5 ammo carry etc.). It's already been through a long beta, but I suspect we'll see the store improve now that they are making money from it.
  11. Apr 23, 2012
    Fast and balanced gameplay. I picked up the game really fast and enjoyed it. Maps are huge and the gameplay is fun. If you want similar to lets say unreal tournament games but more flying this is the game.
    AND OF COURSE ITS FREE!
  12. Apr 18, 2012
    It's rare that you see a free-to-play that isn't pay to win or forces you to pay to keep playing. Tribes Ascend is F2P done right. The amount of work that went into such an amazing game is mind blowing. If I had the money, I'd send Hi-Rez the prize amount for winning the lottery.

Do yourself a favor. Ignore the negative reviews and try the game. The only reason there are negative reviews are because people are bad at the game, and it's not the game's fault. Screw anyone who gives it less than a 6 or 7.
  13. Jun 29, 2012
    The original Tribes was the very first FPS game I had ever played, Tribes 2 was even better, and then the series sort of fell a little short after that. I kept trying to find similar games that allowed for such flexible vertical game play, but nothing ever seemed to quite work out. Tribes: Ascend, however, brings back the nostalgia in the most wonderful way, revitalizing the concept whileThe original Tribes was the very first FPS game I had ever played, Tribes 2 was even better, and then the series sort of fell a little short after that. I kept trying to find similar games that allowed for such flexible vertical game play, but nothing ever seemed to quite work out. Tribes: Ascend, however, brings back the nostalgia in the most wonderful way, revitalizing the concept while keeping nearly all of my favorite points from the first games. In the beginning I was a little worried about the "Free to Play" format, but it has proven to be a great move on their part, and extremely versatile. The decision to make every unlock (except vanity skins) free with enough play-time was exactly the right business move, and has kept the community thriving. Earning unlocks and their upgrades also give plenty of reasons to keep playing the game, and more goodies are constantly being added. This brings me to another positive; Hi-Rez is *very* into supporting this game. They have constant updates with new maps, class skins, weapons and game types, and they release these major content updates at a staggering rate of roughly every two weeks. I've determined that they must not sleep much over there, since there's probably twice as much content as when I started playing back in mid-April. I've seen a few people complain about having to lead their shots, skiing, and just vertical game-play in general...which makes me wonder why they've even decided to play Tribes: Ascend. Those mechanics are the very things that make this franchise so unique and special, in addition to being some of the more advertised features. There are plenty of other great shooters out there that keep your feet planted (relatively) firmly on the ground, so if flying through the air and precision shooting isn Expand
  14. Jul 6, 2012
    Free to play done right. I am always skeptical of F2P games, as often there is a barrier to entry that prevents new players from being competitive. For the most part - that is not the case. The only class I can see where this would be an issue is the soldier not having immediate access to a spinfuser, (although you do start out with the thumper, which is a lot like one.) but most otherFree to play done right. I am always skeptical of F2P games, as often there is a barrier to entry that prevents new players from being competitive. For the most part - that is not the case. The only class I can see where this would be an issue is the soldier not having immediate access to a spinfuser, (although you do start out with the thumper, which is a lot like one.) but most other classes start with competitive weapons, some even being BiS. While there is some things that purchasing will give you a slight edge, everything is obtainable with XP, (Even more so with equipment, because you can only unlock upgrades for a weapon by use or 15k xp). There is encouragement it pay - very low xp gain with a non VIP account, but even if you only spend $10(US), you're a VIP forever and have increased XP gain, and can unlock almost everything for the class with very little money spent. So in summary - yes- there is some F2Pness here, but it is one of the most fair models out there, bar TF2. I would like to see more emphasis on money for cosmetics, which looks like it is coming. Gameplay is what sets this apart from it's competitors - Different - Fast Paced. Tactical Gameplay; very sparse in our "Big Developer, play it safe" attitude which is too prevalent at the moment. The game feels like a AAA title, with quick responsive controls. The feeling of polish is such a refresher after the industry seems to have forgotten what it is. You can tell they took player feedback to heart and made the game they - and their fans - wanted. Love is in the air in Tribes, and it feels good. Graphics are smooth - with options, although I wish there were more. Art style is a personal taste, but I feel they did Tribes justice. It looks like a High fidelity remake, in terms of art style. The Warhammer look was well preserved. Sound is good - again this opinion will very. There were no obvious problems, the tracks are very bass heavy and give you a rush which compliments gameplay. All in all - I give this a VERY SOLID 9. One of the best MP games in years, and free to play done in a respectful manner. I just think more emphasis should be put to money for cosmetics than money for guns. I mean, who hasn't seen the infiltrator skin and not been jealous your class didn't have a badass outfit? I'd pay good money for a ninja suit. Expand
  15. May 16, 2012
    At first I was skeptical. A free to play game in this modern age of gaming. I was expecting a dumbed down Tribes with horrible graphics and every way possible to make money off you. But boy was I wrong. This game is absolutely beautiful. The maps have nearly flawless design. The balance of weapons is very stable. And everything in the "modify class" area, you can either use real money forAt first I was skeptical. A free to play game in this modern age of gaming. I was expecting a dumbed down Tribes with horrible graphics and every way possible to make money off you. But boy was I wrong. This game is absolutely beautiful. The maps have nearly flawless design. The balance of weapons is very stable. And everything in the "modify class" area, you can either use real money for the inpatient player. Or earn your way all the way to 100k xp and feel like a champion on a pedestal. The game is not "pay to win" but pay if you want to unlock some stuff faster. I personally bought the 19.99 pack. But mainly because a game like this is FREE. I had to give them something. Hi Rez deserves the 20 bucks. They made one of the best FPS I've seen in years. The classes all have strengths and weaknesses. No class is too strong, and no class is too weak. There aren't enough gamers playing this game. All they need is one advertisement during prime time television. Announcing that it's FREE and 10/10. And then everybody will be playing this. And the nice thing is, the people who are every day Call Of Duty players, would find the game incredibly bad and annoying. So they would quit very quickly. As this game is only for elite gamers who actually look for a challenge. I can admit. When I first started playing I died ALOT. And when I say alot. I mean it took me like 6 deaths to get 1 kill. But now after playing day in and day out. I get kills all the time. And that's what this game excels in. MAKING you play the game over and over until you get better. This is what modern gamers don't want to hear. They want to be able to jump in a game and instantly have the capabilities to be just as good as veterans. The people who are good at Tribes Ascend are good because of hardcore playing. Not because they have the right perks equipped or a certain gun. This game SHOULD be FPS of the year, But it won't because it will lose to Black Ops 2. Oh well. C'est la vie. Expand
  16. Apr 12, 2012
    A competitive multilayer shooter that doesn't feel like it was developed for thumb sticks, or the people that use them.

-Unique
    -Solid Graphics
    -Great Gameplay
    -Strong Community
    -Fantastic Developer

I can find no issue with this shooter, either you'll like it or you wont. I'm in the former camp.
  17. Apr 12, 2012
    At first I was worried that Hi-Rez Studios would screw the Tribes formula (like what Irrational Games did) but now I want them to make the rest of the Tribes games if they can, The Graphics are great the maps are fun and huge and we still have the good ole' game mechanics of Tribes 2. Plus its Free to Play!
  18. Apr 19, 2012
    Oh gosh, where do i start? I love FPS genre, I play alot of shooters, single/multi alike. I got sucked into the world of Tribes almost instantly. This game is purely awesome. It does everything right and when it doesnt - devs quickly alter it to match what community demands. It's great to know that Tribes: Ascend is still expanding, still getting better. Plenty of goodies, dlc's andOh gosh, where do i start? I love FPS genre, I play alot of shooters, single/multi alike. I got sucked into the world of Tribes almost instantly. This game is purely awesome. It does everything right and when it doesnt - devs quickly alter it to match what community demands. It's great to know that Tribes: Ascend is still expanding, still getting better. Plenty of goodies, dlc's and patches ahead of us. I dont consider it as Free to Play... because it's almost a crime not to pay for it, it is SO ENJOYABLE. Yes, it is free. It gives you three basic classes and a possibility to upgrade them without paying a penny. It will take more time to unlock your desirable gear, but it is possible to fully enjoy this game without contributing any money... Nevertheless, i felt guilty not to pay. Hi-Rez Studios should know that this game made my day a lot of times and still Im totally in love with their game. Ok, but more about the product - Tribes: Ascend is fast paced, skill-oriented, teamplay shooter. If offers great gameplay and huge, well designed maps (most of the time about 32 players at once). The gimmick of Tribes is skiing - as you move down the slope you can slide and gain momentum. Then, jet packing uphill helps you maintain speed. Combine this and you can achieve even more than 200km/h of pure speed! (when playing the lightest class) Hard to imagine? Watch some gameplays or trailers on youtube. Some people here complained about "going thru the map and meeting no one" or "it's to fast to hit anybody". Sorry, but that's BS. Game is perfectly designed and I suggest PLAYING IT for real and not making stuff up. For those saying "it's boring and easy, just wait for somebody to land" I recommend watching some 'blue plate special' (air kills) videos on yt. Also, play Capture The Flag. Team Deathmatch is more of a warm-up before the real thing. The same with the Arena Mode. It's all good, but CTF is THE ESSENCE of Tribes. Skill and teamplay is all that matters. See you on the battlefields, sandrakers! 10 out of 10. It's a perfect game for me. Expand
  19. Jul 27, 2012
    Like Team Fortress 2, great free-to-play with item system and not all items being unlocked at once unlike old games. Hi-Rez Studios has found out how to correctly balance Tribes: Ascend and avoiding pay-to-win "gameplay." Tribes: Ascend is amazing.
  20. Jul 11, 2012
    Tribes: Ascend is probably the only online FPS I've actually enjoyed playing, no other game has you capping the flag at 260km/h screaming WOOHOO WOOHOO as enemies try to shoot you out of the sky with lasers and **** The skiing mechanic is so much fun and jetpacks are just icing on the cake. Every class offers a completely different style of play. It's so much fun and I'd recommend it toTribes: Ascend is probably the only online FPS I've actually enjoyed playing, no other game has you capping the flag at 260km/h screaming WOOHOO WOOHOO as enemies try to shoot you out of the sky with lasers and **** The skiing mechanic is so much fun and jetpacks are just icing on the cake. Every class offers a completely different style of play. It's so much fun and I'd recommend it to anyone. Not to mention that it's also free and it's not pay to win since anything you can get with real money can also be obtained through play. Expand
  21. Apr 12, 2012
    If you are tired of Call of Duty, Battlefield, or Counter-Strike clones and want a much faster-paced game, check out Tribes Ascend. Team Fortress 2 is still the best F2P shooter out there, but Tribes Ascend is a very close 2nd place. Pretty much Tribes Ascend's main thing is Skiing, where you become frictionless. Most of the time you will be going at ~100 km/h, dedicated flagcappers goIf you are tired of Call of Duty, Battlefield, or Counter-Strike clones and want a much faster-paced game, check out Tribes Ascend. Team Fortress 2 is still the best F2P shooter out there, but Tribes Ascend is a very close 2nd place. Pretty much Tribes Ascend's main thing is Skiing, where you become frictionless. Most of the time you will be going at ~100 km/h, dedicated flagcappers go ~200 km/h, and the best go over 400 km/h. There are only 3 hitscan weapons: Snipers, Shotguns, and some pistols. Everything else is projectile-based, so you need to predict where the enemy will be. There are 9 classes (Unlike the previous in the series which is completely free customization), 3 light, 3 medium, 3 heavy. They all serve a different role. For example, Pathfinder is the fastest class, and is used for flag capturing and chasing. Meanwhile Infiltrator can cloak and has high-damage weapons, which make them excellent at destroying the base from the inside. Juggernauts are very slow but very powerful long-range artillery. But anyway, away from all that class discussion the game is easy to learn, difficult to master. The classes are generally balanced (Although Infiltrator is a bit too powerful currently), but usually unlocking different equipment for them is ridiculously expensive ($8 for major weapons or 100,000 EXP, for example). The community is full of /v/irgins, so mention ANYTHING Reddit and they will freak out and start blindly hating. Overall it's one of the best F2P games ever made, and you should stop what you're doing and download it today. Expand
  22. Oct 9, 2012
    I played this for at least 50 hours in the beta, and have put another hundred in since its been on Steam.....this is a simply amazing game.
    The first FPS I have every played that focused more on movement than shooting.
    The first FPS I have every played that focused more on movement than shooting.
    I know of no better feeling then skiing up the enemies base ramp at 180km an hour, snatching their flag, and turning around on the ski out to spinfuse some retard that thinks he's playing Call of Duty in space suits. Also this is truly free to play and not "pay-to-win"
  23. Apr 12, 2012
    Do you like fast paced,old school shooters?Well,if you do,you must have been waiting for another one for years.The waiting's over.Tribes Ascend is what you are looking for.This is the kind of shooter PC community deserves.Designed for PC,no hitscan weapons,you need to go fast and shoot efficiently,a lot of teamplay involved.Hi-rez should be praised for a product like this.Graphics are asDo you like fast paced,old school shooters?Well,if you do,you must have been waiting for another one for years.The waiting's over.Tribes Ascend is what you are looking for.This is the kind of shooter PC community deserves.Designed for PC,no hitscan weapons,you need to go fast and shoot efficiently,a lot of teamplay involved.Hi-rez should be praised for a product like this.Graphics are as good as UE3 can get,the style is awesome and unique,gameplay is satisfying and rewards the skilled players.What else would you expect from a Multiplayer shooter?Oh wait,it's FREE to play as well!

We surely need more games like this.Thank you hi-rez studios.
  24. Jun 30, 2012
    The game that actually takes alot of skills to kill someone ya 360 no scope bastards. I would buy this game even if it was paid. In case it's free-to-play i'm gonna buy some in-game stuff to reward developers. Though there is no pay-to-win formula - everything can be unlocked free.
  25. Oct 3, 2012
    gran juego online me gusto mucho entretenido y lo mejor de todo free, si bien la mecánica de shooter es bastante clásica pero con una variación de armas mas que considerable. graficamente es muy bien logrado, entornos ricos y bien detallados, los sonidos esta bastante bien.. en resumen un juego recomendado para aquellos que quieran pasar un rato jugando online grafis..
  26. May 4, 2012
    Undoubtly the best f2p shooter on pc! Fast speed, highly competitive. You should have a try if u are a fps fans.
    Although some weapons and abilities require tons of exp or bucks if u want, but IMO, pay about twenty bucks for such a awesome game is ok for me. GOGOGO!
  27. Jul 3, 2012
    This game is NOT pay2win, every weapon is a side-grade item to one another. Maybe some weapons are better in some situations, but definitely not overall superior (minus maybe 1 or 2). I have spent over 500+ hours playing this game both in pubs and competitively, and put about $50 dollars into it so far. Needless to say, I am extremely impressed by this game as a former UT/Quake player.This game is NOT pay2win, every weapon is a side-grade item to one another. Maybe some weapons are better in some situations, but definitely not overall superior (minus maybe 1 or 2). I have spent over 500+ hours playing this game both in pubs and competitively, and put about $50 dollars into it so far. Needless to say, I am extremely impressed by this game as a former UT/Quake player. If you were ever a fan of UT/Quake/Tribes1/2, or are bored of CoD/BF3, as you should be, then you need to play this game right now. Expand
  28. Apr 12, 2012
    Holy jesus this game is fun. Played on release for 4 hours straight and still going as I type this review. What more do I need to say? Play it and get addicted.
  29. Apr 12, 2012
    Well i've been playing (by playing i mean hooked on) this since november, and this game is amazing. Most people who read this have never played a tribes game, so listen: forget everything you know about shooters. Forget your piece of **** tacticool "reality simulator" (bloody screen SO REAL) shooters. Forget walking, crouching and going prone. Walking is what gets you killed and the onlyWell i've been playing (by playing i mean hooked on) this since november, and this game is amazing. Most people who read this have never played a tribes game, so listen: forget everything you know about shooters. Forget your piece of **** tacticool "reality simulator" (bloody screen SO REAL) shooters. Forget walking, crouching and going prone. Walking is what gets you killed and the only people who go prone are dead guys. This game is about speed, jetpacking and sliding downhill with speeds exceeding 300km/h while shooting projectile and ballistic weapons at enemies going at comparable speeds. It's completely insane and the best shooter on the market today. Expand
  30. Apr 30, 2012
    With nearly 400 games in my Steam library, it takes a very good game to pull me away. Minecraft did it, but now even that has been left on the sidelines by Hi-Rez's new game, Tribes: Ascend. It's unique combat system where movement and prediction become more important than regular aiming, this is a game that has got me playing every night, with a growing interest the more I play. Go tryWith nearly 400 games in my Steam library, it takes a very good game to pull me away. Minecraft did it, but now even that has been left on the sidelines by Hi-Rez's new game, Tribes: Ascend. It's unique combat system where movement and prediction become more important than regular aiming, this is a game that has got me playing every night, with a growing interest the more I play. Go try it, it's FREE! Expand

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Aug 31, 2012
    Contrary to the classic gameplay of an FPS that requires constant cover, slow advances, crouching and prone positioning, the battles of Ascend happen on the ground, as well as in the air and in tremendous speeds- thus changing drastically the classic tactical approaches of the genre. It's a breath of fresh air in the online FPS world. [September 2012]
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Aug 10, 2012
    Arcade online shooter surprises with fresh and fast paced playability and is a very good alternative to paid services with its free-to-play model. [Issue#220]
  3. Jun 12, 2012
    Tribes: Ascend is a worthy successor to its forebears, bringing the same inimitable, hectic play style married to graphics that will stretch even the most capable machine.