Tribes: Vengeance PC

7.5

1. Mar 19, 2011
    Even if the single player is repetitive and boring the multiplayer is well-balanced and fun.
  2. IsamuD.
    Sep 3, 2004
    Granted, the game is still in beta, however my first impression is that this will be more like Quake and UT2k4 than any of the tribes games. Hard core Tribes fans may be disappointed by the lack of teamwork elements included in the game. T:V still has jetpacks, vehicles, and 3 ?classes? of armor to choose from? but much less in variety compared to previous tribes games. There are only 4 Granted, the game is still in beta, however my first impression is that this will be more like Quake and UT2k4 than any of the tribes games. Hard core Tribes fans may be disappointed by the lack of teamwork elements included in the game. T:V still has jetpacks, vehicles, and 3 ?classes? of armor to choose from? but much less in variety compared to previous tribes games. There are only 4 packs, less weapons and vehicles to choose from, and all 3 classes can hold any pack but only 3 weapons at a time (even heavies). Heavy armor can get around on its own without the help of teammates, and there are less deployables for defenders to use (mines, invo stations, and turrets are the only 3, I think). Any single player can accomplish just about anything without the help of teammates. For the solo gamers, this is a faster-pace game that may appeal to you. There should be a single-player campaign once released that may make up for it?s multi-player weaknesses (which is ironic since the Tribes series gained popularity though it?s multilayer online gaming, and having virtually no single player options at all) Time will tell, but so far I have been unable to find any forums with more praises than complaints about the new Tribes game. I gave it a 6/10 as it is still a fun game for those who have not played T1 or T2. The grapple is reminiscent of the Quake grappling hook, however now you can swing around corners and not just in a straight line. That alone makes the beta worthy of a download (now open to everyone). Expand

1. The entire game runs on the well-known Unreal Engine, which has been extensively modified, and is now called the Vengeance Engine. Player models sport lots of detail, and the landscapes are both pretty and varied.
  2. While the character animations in the single-player cut scenes detract from the overall product (I guess "Doom 3" spoiled me), Irrational Studios should be applauded for translating the action and intensity of the Tribes multiplayer game into a mostly satisfying, single-player setting.
  3. It's as distant from real-world war scenarios as you can get, but as far as high intensity, high speed Sci-Fi shooters go, Vengeance now reigns supreme.