8.3

1. Dec 7, 2011
    Amazing graphics, perfect controls, improved physics puzzles and finally online co-op multiplayer. It is even better then the first Trine which was excellent. I miss inventory from original a little. This little cutie and good developer support is really worth more then release price.
  2. Dec 7, 2011
    Gorgeous. Drop-dead gorgeous in 3D. Not just the graphics but the overall art design and aesthetic is sharper, more colorful, organic, and fluid this time around. Amazing job there.

The core gameplay is still intact, of course, which can only be a good thing. Added online co-op, which is clutch, and the ability to save the game mid-level, which is crucial in my book.

Really, the game
    does nothing wrong.

Only niggling issue (for now) is that if you play in Eyefinity/Surround, the Thief's arrow doesn't quite line up correctly with the indicated arrow.
  3. Dec 7, 2011
    I really can't find a single thing in this game that could possibly detract from its quality. It improves every aspect of the first game by a long shot. I thought it was going to be mostly like the original but there's just a lot more depth to it, and it looks so much better now. The original looks great too, but this...it's incredible how a solid art style can make a game look so beautiful. On top of the visuals, growing plants using a dynamic stream of water never gets old (and there's so much more to the puzzles than that). It's just so involving and intuitive while being simple. The narrative isn't overdone and it's intriguing despite it being almost like a children's book. The banter amongst the heroes keeps you interested in the actual story while you play, just like in the original Trine. A game like this doesn't come around often in my opinion, especially for only 15 USD. That's an amazing price for an amazing game. Lastly, the game runs BEAUTIFULLY smooth. I have everything set to the highest setting at 1080p resolution with some anti-aliasing and I get super smooth frame rates on my outdated computer (GTS 250, Core2Duo E6400, 3gb DDR2 RAM). This game doesn't need a lot of AA to make edges look nice either. It just looks so amazing yet it runs so perfectly. I really have to give my respect to Frozenbyte, they've outdone themselves yet again. Expand
  4. Dec 8, 2011
    Picked it up on steam for $15 pretty much a steal! Endless fun its definitly worth every dollar, or shoudl i say all 15 of it ;) 10/10 recommended for everyone
  5. Dec 9, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game makes your jaw drop in awe as soon as the playable title screen appears, and won't let you close it until the very end. While many games have level variety, switching from city to jungle to ice plains to deserts, only few of them have in-level variety of the magnitude Trine 2 has: Here, you may start at the outskirts of a forest, and without a level load, progress into dark spider-infested caves; or you begin at a sunlit beach and before the level is over, there's a thunderstorm with massive waves, from which you seek shelter in a ruined castle.

Seldom do I use the word beautiful, but it's impossible to express the visuals of Trine 2 with any other word. Trine 2 basically defines a new category of visuals, all for itself. While some games are stylized, and other games are realistic, Trine 2 is beautiful. Colors are so saturated that anything more would be "too much"; depth of the maps is astonishing -- while you focus on what's happening at the front, the background is alive and oftentimes, others in the room will exclaim something like "Look! Back there! Do you see it! Wow!"

As great as the graphics are also the sounds and music. Normally, the music is slower and gentle, but as soon as enemies appear, it quickly changes into a battle mode music, which lasts until the last enemy is slain. Superb are the voice-overs; the heroes are dubbed with great care, while the voices of goblins and other monsters deliver both threat and humor ("Do you think we'll have to fight them?" asks a goblin...)

The game controls are very intuitive thanks to the combination of mouse aiming and keyboard movement.

But the core of every game is its gameplay, and so, the rest of this review will be about how it plays.

Trine 2 plays great and is entertaining from start to finish. Developers are offering well-paced and balanced mix of 3 elements: Exploration, Combat, and Puzzles. The separation of battles by traveling and puzzles makes sure that you will not be battle-fatigued, and also allows the game to regularly catch you off-guard (my wife at least tends to be ambushed almost every single time, as she forgots to switch to the Knight when moving forward). The exploration aspect is, in a way, similar to Half-Life 2, where quite often, you have several paths opening before you, but if you select "the wrong one", you will quickly come to its end, perhaps finding a treasure, and so there's not much backtracking. Plus, it seems that optional sections are intentionally significantly harder, thus signalling "You don't have to go here if you don't feel like it". It makes the rewards at the end ever more rewarding.

Combat has been improved by orders of magnitude from Trine 1 by 3 things:
    1. The main fighting force of the enemy, green goblins, are now equipped with spears, which can be thrown or used for stabbing and smashing, so they have ways of attacking you from a distance as well as up close. This solved one of the flaws of original Trine, where players often sniped skeletons from afar without fear of retribution.
    2. Ambush system, where enemies are not idly waiting in the map, but rather hide in the background of the level, and jump to the front when the player is well-positioned. This produces enemies all around the player for increased challenge, without being "unfair" (like the teleporting demons in Doom 3 are)
    3. Enemy variations, with significantly more enemy types than the original. While the original only had skeletons, spiders and bats, here you will face goblins, trolls, demons, spiders and some more, which I'm not going to spoil.

Puzzles are vastly improved with the addition of fluids and steam. You will find yourself creating irrigation lines, combining steam pipes to fix broken steam systems, and finding counterbalances. But some enemies require puzzle approach as well, simply because they cannot be killed, and must instead be tricked or avoided.
    Already during the Beta, many public testers were reporting that puzzles may sometimes be "short-circuited" by using wizard to "self-levitate". In the end, developers decided to leave this option in, so remember, if you're completely stuck on a puzzle and it requires you to get over some obstacle or gap, your last resort is always self-levitation (which is not easy to do, so it won't happen by accident). Hardcore gamers may impose self-regulating limit on themselves to force them to be creative.

As I'm writing this, I'm also looking at the community forums on Steampowered.com, and see a prime example of the creative genius of this game: Players are discussing how to solve certain puzzle at Level 3, and there are already 4 totally different solutions to it listed. How many other games do you know where each puzzle has multiple solutions?

To sum it up -- Trine 2 is an amazing game and is accessible to hardcore as well as casual players. I can recommend it to anyone.
  6. Dec 8, 2011
    Absolutely beautiful game - in fact, one of the most amazingly looking games I've ever seen. A charming atmosphere, great puzzles, music that delivers enough emotion to bring you to tears if only you embrace the wonderful game that Trine 2 has become.
    Take that and the astonishing support (both Pre-Release, including the Beta for preorderer, and post release) by Frozenbyte, you have a game
    worth every cent of its already low price. A clear 10/10 Expand
  7. Dec 9, 2011
    The controls have improved the graphics are jaw dropping they seriously amazing art design and atmosphere of a legened taile are and the gameplay is fantastic because the solution is never to hard
  8. Dec 8, 2011
    wow this game is maded finland and i live in finland and i am very proud of this game.
    For this game is a peculiar graphics and story is pretty good.
    game isn´t short. for me game is long enough
    and there is three playable character its make this game very cool
  9. Dec 7, 2011
    One of the best platformers I have ever played, a huge improvement in any aspect over the first one, perfectly optimized. Nothing more to say - if you loved Trine 1 you're gonna love Trine 2 eight times more :)
  10. Dec 8, 2011
    The production values of this game are something else. It's an indie game that looks better than any Triple-A title I've ever seen. The maps are varied, the monsters look incredible and it combines puzzles and combat really seamlessly. For a quarter of the price of a full retail game this is an absolute steal.
  11. Dec 14, 2011
    For me it is a best game of year. Incredible graphics, fun physx and gameplay. Art and sound is stunning. I recommend Collectors edition when artworks and soundtrack are included.
  12. Dec 10, 2011
    I grew up with 3D games and I did not like 2D Games, except some Gameboy games. But this game is just awesome. It connects the 2D view with amazing 3D objects and great lights, wich create a great atmosphere. The puzzles remind me of Portal, wich had a great Leveldesign. All in all it is a way to easy when you play with your freinds. But it is still a great Indie game.
  13. Dec 14, 2011
    The sequel absolutely improved on the original Trine. The storytelling is still lighthearted and gorgeous, just like the 3 characters. The graphics are amazing, even better than in the good looking first Trine. More variety in the puzzles and even in the landscape make this game one of the best experiences I had this year. And I've still got to play the cooperative mode.
  14. Jul 28, 2012
    For the genre, Trine 2 is a true 10/10 game, improving on its predecessor in every way. Combat, movement, and gameplay in general are fluid and intuitive. Puzzles, especially reaching the optional experience orbs, are extremely satisfying. The art style, music, and atmosphere create an immersive fairy-tale-like world.
  15. Dec 16, 2011
    I really enjoyed this game. The graphics are rich and beautiful and the voice acting is good. The gameplay is very fun and brought me back to puzzlers I used to play years ago. I hope these guys sell truckloads of this game because they deserve every reward for making something so nice.
  16. Dec 13, 2011
    Visuals, gameplay, graphic, controls, puzzles, story... My god one of the best games this year. And only for 12,99. Take that overpriced ctrl+c+v "AAA" game titles.
  17. Dec 20, 2011
    One of the most beautiful artworks and graphics ever seen in a game, a close-to-perfect physics engine, allowing for a lot of creativity in solving the puzzles and the fantastic soundtrack makes Trine 2 one of the best releases in 2011. If that alone doesn't convince you, the coop mode and the price (13 Euros / Steam) should do. Demo now available on Steam!
  18. Dec 15, 2011
    Sitting down to a Trine 2 I did not have too high demands, I have not played in the first part of this game, I wanted to play a simple game platformer, I received a beautiful and extensive game.

Graphic style captivates the depth of color, clever use of elements of physics give the game an appropriate character.
    The game is just great.
  19. Dec 29, 2011
    Absolutely amazing. A various methods to beat the puzzle, beautiful graphics, three quite different characters, nice soundtrack and climate of old legends make it a must-have. The plot may be a big disadvantage, but it perfectly matches the climate of the game. Cooperation mode is well-done, but isn't necessary to enjoy the engaging adventure in the world of Trine 2.
  20. Dec 30, 2011
    Network coop. Beautiful visuals. Fantastic game play. This is a great developer that you shouldn't hesitate to support. Totally worth the asking price and then some.
  21. Jan 10, 2012
    It's very funny how people reviews it with low scores because they don't like the 2D games pr they say they're dead...LOL

Amazing game, amazing artstyle, amazing coop with friends online or local (greatly apreciated). Very nice game, with mod tools it would me more awsome though
  22. Mar 8, 2012
    A smart, BEAUTIFUL and charming fantasy side-scroller that uses physics to solve puzzles which results im multiple ways to solve said puzzles. No game has pleasantly surprised me more than Trine 2
  23. Jan 16, 2012
    ~:: Adventure, Puzzles, 2D, Best Graphics ::~ all these u can find it in Trine 2..but first of all..Coop for me was 2/10 why? cus u can pass all puzzles with Wizard box..so plz dont play it Coop of u wanna enjoy this Wonderful game.. play it Single player..u'll just say WOW..its really the best game ever it will sooo hard to meet these HARDCORE Puzzles.. dont ever think if it worth it or not..just go pick up the game ENJOOOOOOOY Expand
  24. Dec 20, 2011
    If there's 2 platform games that deserve a 10/10 it's this and Braid.
    Trine 2 is the most beautiful game I've ever played.
    Absolutely gorgeous graphics.
    The gameplay is challenging and interesting.
    Just go buy it...
  25. Feb 13, 2012
    Awesome graphics, realistic physics and nice puzzles for those who don't want to burn brain after the hard day to complete one game screen. It's a very great game to play with girl friend, actually this is the first game she agreed to play with me. Rumble Pad 2 and Xbox 360 controller working out of the box without any problems (I had major problems with Rumple Pad 2 in the original Trine game). Game engine is very optimized, even on middle-end card you'll be able to play on high graphic settings. Also it has great Eyefinity support, actually it's some kind of cheating in this game :) http://youtu.be/Rsb_iImG1_4 Expand
  26. Feb 15, 2012
    Simply a great platform-er with so many beautiful places to go to. You can't get enough of looking at it. Storytelling is marvelous and the soundtrack is as beautiful as the game itself, it is a must have if you like a coop game with a great graphics, great story and so much of fun. The price you pay for this game is incredibly low for what you are getting.
  27. Apr 2, 2012
    This game was a total surprise. I picked it up cheap at Steam and started playing co-op with a few friends, taking on one of the three roles each. We played several hours straight, the same happened the next day - and we have already planned another session tonight. Seriously people, if you like platforming or co-op this is most certainly the game for you. It is polished, controls well on the keyboard without a controller, breath-taking colorful graphics and really good physics puzzles which makes you and your friends stop and think for a little while every now and again. A really good game. A breath of fresh air. I dropped everything to play this - and I do no regret a second spent with it. Expand
  28. Apr 8, 2012
    Trine 2 achieves to be a really interesting successor to Trine. It features high contrast eye candy-like graphics, which don't distract from the game-play. You finally get to fight more enemies than skeletons everywhere, and the puzzles are way more interesting than in it's predecessor. The multiplayer got improved, too. Hooking up with your friends via Steam or playing local works smooth and easy.
    Trine isn't faultless though. Some switches for example are really hard to see, since they blend in well with the background, or appear in very dark corners. The animations often end abruptly or look clunky. This doesn't change the otherwise fluent game-play for worse though.

All in all, Trine 2 is a game worth looking into, and highly recommended for playing cooperatively.
  29. Apr 19, 2012
    This indie game is easy one of the best in it's field. It is a side scrolling action based puzzle game. The puzzles are not to hard but not to easy, story and over all game is cute with well placed humor with an icing of a damn fine eye candy look. Don't let the fact that it is a side scrolling game turn you away from it, highly recommended. This indie game is truly a work of art that is cute and well made. Expand
  30. Mar 12, 2013
    Easily one of the best puzzle games i've ever played. The graphics are great, the voice acting is awesome and the single-player is superb. Don't know about the console versions but on the PC it's a 9/10

1. Oct 8, 2012
    Our heroes from the Trine universe are back at it again, whether they want to be or not.
    The short duration of the adventure is balanced by the constant number of puzzles and the fact that they had to be designed for solo and co-op play. But the first time you fire up Trine 2, the best way to do it is with patience and taking time to contemplate the scenery.
  3. Mar 1, 2012
    Solid puzzling, decent combat and gorgeous art - all for cheap! [March 2012, p.60]