Trine PC

8.3

1. Dec 2, 2011
    The game is extremely pretty to look at. It's a good length game consider the price tag and there welcome complexity to the character designs. However, the game play is very lacking. The puzzles are extremely easy and repetitive. The jumping controls are unresponsive and lack precision. You see largely only 1 enemy type throughout the whole game which gets dull extremely quickly. TheThe game is extremely pretty to look at. It's a good length game consider the price tag and there welcome complexity to the character designs. However, the game play is very lacking. The puzzles are extremely easy and repetitive. The jumping controls are unresponsive and lack precision. You see largely only 1 enemy type throughout the whole game which gets dull extremely quickly. The coop play is awkward as the game is obviously not design only for single player. The music lacks variance. Expand
  2. Aug 24, 2010
    Basic platforming plus good physics engine = good fun but not particularly revolutionary or mind-blowing. I find this game enjoyable, and I know a game doesn't have to be full of new stuff for it to be fun, but really it doesn't capture my imagination. The story is pretty much traditional claptrap with very heavily stereotyped and simple characters, and the biggest challenge in laterBasic platforming plus good physics engine = good fun but not particularly revolutionary or mind-blowing. I find this game enjoyable, and I know a game doesn't have to be full of new stuff for it to be fun, but really it doesn't capture my imagination. The story is pretty much traditional claptrap with very heavily stereotyped and simple characters, and the biggest challenge in later levels is trying to platform while enemies repeatedly respawn in the same place, not very creative IMO. The physics does make for some slightly different puzzles from the usual, but it's nothing that hasn't been done before. Expand
  3. Jul 15, 2011
    Its a fun game, I like to play co-op with my friends, but it can get boring pretty fast. The graphics and physics are really neat for a sidescroller, and everything seems to run pretty smoothly.
  4. Dec 3, 2011
    I don't understand the hype for this game. The controls are botchy, the graphics are average, the gameplay is boring. I've spent 16 hours on this game getting all the achievements...trying to like it. But i don't see what it is that makes people like it. There are so many better games out there that this just gets lost at the bottom. Save your money and don't pick this up unless it is forI don't understand the hype for this game. The controls are botchy, the graphics are average, the gameplay is boring. I've spent 16 hours on this game getting all the achievements...trying to like it. But i don't see what it is that makes people like it. There are so many better games out there that this just gets lost at the bottom. Save your money and don't pick this up unless it is for REALLY cheap. Collapse
  5. EvanC
    Aug 22, 2009
    The game is a solid good fun experience. However, the gamplay is awkward and the levels are much of a muchness. The main problem is that the game gets simple do this, do that gameplay about halfway through with little variation.
  6. Jul 19, 2011
    Kind of a cool concept 2D scrolling adventure, but the lack of an online coop mode means I likely won't play this game more than I would have liked to. Local coop only = fail.
  7. Jul 9, 2011
    Trine is a very cool game from graphics to music, and with the classic fairy tale story it's a can't miss. Very gorgeous too look at and to sum up in one word the graphics are wonderful! Everything is put together so well and very pretty i might add. Music is great wonderful fantasy themed and is perfect for the atmosphere of the game. A downside is a not very long campaign, or very muchTrine is a very cool game from graphics to music, and with the classic fairy tale story it's a can't miss. Very gorgeous too look at and to sum up in one word the graphics are wonderful! Everything is put together so well and very pretty i might add. Music is great wonderful fantasy themed and is perfect for the atmosphere of the game. A downside is a not very long campaign, or very much variation. The puzzles are simple but yet there are at least 3 ways to solve each one depending on who is left alive in your party. If you can get this game for $10 or less, do it. Its a fun game that will give you around 5 hours of once-through game play :) Expand
  8. Feb 9, 2012
    Why you have to buy this game?

1) great graphics
    2) smooth gameplay
    3) here and there a puzzle

Why not?

1) After five hours of playing you're bored already
    2)repetitive
    3)Only local co-op
  9. May 31, 2012
    Wake me up when there is some kind of challenge. The monsters are all identical from start to end, the "puzzles" are extremely easy. The gameplay, three heroes to control and freedom to pass the level like you choose, along with the nice levels design and artistic direction makes it worth playing despite these flaws.
  10. Jan 26, 2012
    A good platformer game with some fairy tail story and three characters, unique in each way. The most time you will spend solving average difficulty puzzles and the hard ones which will drive you mad, because a game physics are frustrating sometimes, so you make a mistakes. The biggest disappointing of characters skills, was that archer couldn't shoot in the air, so combat was lessA good platformer game with some fairy tail story and three characters, unique in each way. The most time you will spend solving average difficulty puzzles and the hard ones which will drive you mad, because a game physics are frustrating sometimes, so you make a mistakes. The biggest disappointing of characters skills, was that archer couldn't shoot in the air, so combat was less entertaining for me. The mage's problem was when you pull up box or a cage, it was keep spinning, so it was hard to manipulate object the way you want. Controls are very unresponsive, which is a very big problem for a game, where you have to jump a lot. Also there are skill system, where you can upgrade your characters abilities and after that solve puzzles easier. But these annoying skeletons!!! They spawned in a small number and were easy to kill, but it was annoying to wait till they all spawn, one after you kill one, - that's a biggest fail in the game. Music and game theme, atmosphere were ok. Graphics very average. The game could be better, if not all these fails in it. Expand
  11. Apr 10, 2012
    Trine is a beautiful indie co-op platformer, akin to Blizzard's classic Lost Vikings. With stunning visuals, great music and excellent voice acting (the Knight is especially funny to listen to), Trine is no doubt a treat to your senses. Three on-the-fly selectable characters, each with unique abilities, fills the thoughtless void typically native to the genre. A leveling system linkedTrine is a beautiful indie co-op platformer, akin to Blizzard's classic Lost Vikings. With stunning visuals, great music and excellent voice acting (the Knight is especially funny to listen to), Trine is no doubt a treat to your senses. Three on-the-fly selectable characters, each with unique abilities, fills the thoughtless void typically native to the genre. A leveling system linked with secret collectibles adds a satisfying, appropriate and very familiar element of replayability. Trine could use some more diverse enemy models, as the Skeleton proved tiresome after the first encounter. Trine's strongest weakness lies in the clumsy-feeling physics-based gameplay, often adding an element of frustrating uncertainty to the movement of your character - thankfully, Trine is not overly challenging (completed in 7 hours, and 100% Steam achievements in 16), but more challenging puzzles and co-op would have been most welcome. Setting the controls for multiplayer, using a standard xbox gamepad, proved to be an unneeded headache.

Overall, Trine is a must-have for indie game fans and is highly recommended to platformer fans interested in something unique.
  12. May 14, 2012
    I will be frank, the idea is neat... I expected something clever as Lost Vikings. And i got less. the game offers too many solutions... So much you don't really have to think at all. The game is also too easy. The enemies are repetitive. The knight voice, and the jokes... OH MY GOOD... they are really really bad. To the point Im trying to be kind to that aspect.... But I CHOKED hearing soI will be frank, the idea is neat... I expected something clever as Lost Vikings. And i got less. the game offers too many solutions... So much you don't really have to think at all. The game is also too easy. The enemies are repetitive. The knight voice, and the jokes... OH MY GOOD... they are really really bad. To the point Im trying to be kind to that aspect.... But I CHOKED hearing so bad jokes... The first problem... The Characters never interact between them. That's lame... I understand during the first half of the game they just say some lines. But near the end they still don't have a normal Dialog... Example...

"I smell something is burning"

"I wish it is not the woods"

" I wish is Turkey" I made this by myself and I think i made a better joke that what I have in that game... But they interact like that.. Remember When a level started in Lost vikngs and the characters had actual conversations? Remember they INTERACTED talking to each other and playing pranks and jokes between themselves!? Ok here we have characters who constanly say something about something but never criticize each other or have some kind of interaction. And Is not like that is not possible, the knight is so terrible flatminded it deserves the thief play pranks on him and the wizard calms everybody, But no, they dont do anything ... the jokes are bad, the characters have little characterization and they don't even talk to each other (is like they talk to thin air)

Now the game itself. The physics are unaccurate, but not to the point is unplayable... But mark my words... If you die, Is because of the physics.

The enemies range from bats... to skeletons. to monsters. to skeletons... Add some skeletons, some bats, some skeletons, some more skeletons. and . Maybe some more bats... But don't forget the skeletons!

This is not the prince of persia times, where your only enemies where swordmen and skeletons. This game really needed difficulty. Voices, and depth...

Overall I think this game is really hollow and was made with little to no heart.

I Enjoyed the run... But not enough to play the game again. It just don't have replayability, this is the first platformer I probably will not play again. Is not bad or mediocre... But really average
  13. Sep 12, 2014
    Trine is a fun somewhat unique, beautiful game.

Trine's character are fun and unique with some fun side scrolling action and good humor very easy and quick game. only lasts about 6 hours of gameplay so it doesn't get stale which is nice a good game doesn't need to be long just good.

worth $5
  14. Dec 11, 2012
    Side scrolling platformer where you control three characters in a fantasy setting. In theory each character has their strong points and should contribute to specific areas of the game. However in reality for the majority of the game you could pick which of the three you like the best and roll through levels with them. Compounding on this problem is the fact that the Knight character isSide scrolling platformer where you control three characters in a fantasy setting. In theory each character has their strong points and should contribute to specific areas of the game. However in reality for the majority of the game you could pick which of the three you like the best and roll through levels with them. Compounding on this problem is the fact that the Knight character is mostly useless leaving you to use him to eat damage. The narrative is clever with good voice over work between levels but can't seem to figure out if it's trying to be humorous or quaint. The graphics are beautiful but many parts made me wish I had been able to walk into the back/foreground (like Bug 3D). If you enjoy platformers or RPGs this will be worth checking out since it combines elements of both well. Expand
  15. Jul 29, 2013
    It's a rather average game with good graphics (for an arcade game). The physics puzzles are interesting at some places, but sometimes they require precise timing and very accurate key presses which gets annoying. You may like it if you like arcade games but let's say Limbo is way way better than this one.
  16. Dec 25, 2012
    Trine is quite good game. I've played only 2 hours, cause i don't like games with magic. But for someone, who like fantasy, Trine is very good game.
  17. Feb 3, 2013
    I picked this up in a steam sale along with its sequel and was initially impressed with its fantastic visuals and controls. The three character dynamic works well for the most part and each character has their specific roles. However I felt that the gameplay was unpolished and I solved a few puzzles by abusing the physics engine and I encountered various glitches. I didn't finish the gameI picked this up in a steam sale along with its sequel and was initially impressed with its fantastic visuals and controls. The three character dynamic works well for the most part and each character has their specific roles. However I felt that the gameplay was unpolished and I solved a few puzzles by abusing the physics engine and I encountered various glitches. I didn't finish the game because of this and have no desire to. I recognize there's a good game underneath the outdated physics engine and glitches but I recommend you skip straight to Trine's superior sequel. Expand
  18. AWG
    Aug 1, 2013
    Trine is a pretty, "artsy" game that would like to be something special but in the end it's just your average platformer. Characters are as well drawn as irritating and story is dull.
  19. Oct 17, 2014
    It is a worth-playing-game overall but there's a lot of deficiency to be pointed out. Especially the jumping. The final moment is so rewarding, even made me jumped out of my chair.
  20. Nov 4, 2013
    Reasonably entertaining side scrolling platform adventure game. The game draws you in with its superb visuals and quick character changes which make the game feel very dynamic at first. As progress is made in the game you realize that the characters lack balance and the game just drags. Every puzzle can be most easily solved by the Wizard and once the Thief is strong enough there is neverReasonably entertaining side scrolling platform adventure game. The game draws you in with its superb visuals and quick character changes which make the game feel very dynamic at first. As progress is made in the game you realize that the characters lack balance and the game just drags. Every puzzle can be most easily solved by the Wizard and once the Thief is strong enough there is never a reason to use the slow and clumsy warrior. Experience is found in bottles, mostly hidden in the scenery, causing you to often focus more on maneuvering the scenery than solving puzzles and advancing the game. Expand
  21. Dec 28, 2013
    At the times when a platform game including three switchable characters able to affect environment was a surprise, maybe this game deserved 8 or 9. I read in credits that 'the game is different but totally entertaining'. It would be so if not these broken mechanics. I hated that my plank would appeare not where I want it to, moving things was horrible and especially when I would draw aAt the times when a platform game including three switchable characters able to affect environment was a surprise, maybe this game deserved 8 or 9. I read in credits that 'the game is different but totally entertaining'. It would be so if not these broken mechanics. I hated that my plank would appeare not where I want it to, moving things was horrible and especially when I would draw a triangle and got a box. The tempo, a flow of a game was missing. Because of that it became really static and often annoying. But for the price of 0,74 it is really viable game. Expand
  22. Apr 4, 2015
    Sharp and colourful visuals and a decent physics engine is what this game offers and not much more than that. The story and characters are so very cliche, and the gameplay is fairly unremarkable, just a stock standard puzzle platformer with nothing else going for it. Nothing particularly original, nothing hugely entertaining.

Overall rating - 6.7/10
  23. Dec 3, 2011

1. Trine is simply an unpretentious and effortlessly lovely adventure, if never quite special enough to nudge into the echelons of 9/10 and above. Immediately likeable, hugely enjoyable and brimming with charming detail every step of the way, your enjoyment may depend on how many friends you can share the journey with, but few would regret time spent in the company of this trio.
  2. Trine isn't as new and exciting as current 2D platforming king Braid was on its release, but its combination of tight controls, exiting action and physics-based puzzles makes it easy to recommend to platforming fans. It's a shame the multiplayer isn't more interesting, but when played alone it shouldn't be hard to get many hours of fun out of Frozenbyte's impressive looking title.
  3. A charming and excellently executed platform game. [Issue#22, p.57]