8.2

1. Dec 30, 2011
    Fantastic visuals. Someone cared deeply about the art. The voice acting is great, the game play is very fun. Don't hesitate to get this or it's sequel.
  2. Dec 2, 2011
    The game is extremely pretty to look at. It's a good length game consider the price tag and there welcome complexity to the character designs. However, the game play is very lacking. The puzzles are extremely easy and repetitive. The jumping controls are unresponsive and lack precision. You see largely only 1 enemy type throughout the whole game which gets dull extremely quickly. TheThe game is extremely pretty to look at. It's a good length game consider the price tag and there welcome complexity to the character designs. However, the game play is very lacking. The puzzles are extremely easy and repetitive. The jumping controls are unresponsive and lack precision. You see largely only 1 enemy type throughout the whole game which gets dull extremely quickly. The coop play is awkward as the game is obviously not design only for single player. The music lacks variance. Expand
  3. Sep 14, 2012
    The graphics are really great with very beautiful colors and effects. Story is mediocre but that doesnt affect the game overall. The puzzles are very clever and can be solved with every character you got, either thief, wizard and knigth. A bit small on gameplay length, featuring 15 levels and a secret one after you finish the game.

The intro before every level is very good and the

The intro before every level is very good and the narrator puts you in the story pretty well.

The music is just epic, one of my favourite scores in gaming.
  4. Dec 3, 2011
    I don't understand the hype for this game. The controls are botchy, the graphics are average, the gameplay is boring. I've spent 16 hours on this game getting all the achievements...trying to like it. But i don't see what it is that makes people like it. There are so many better games out there that this just gets lost at the bottom. Save your money and don't pick this up unless it is forI don't understand the hype for this game. The controls are botchy, the graphics are average, the gameplay is boring. I've spent 16 hours on this game getting all the achievements...trying to like it. But i don't see what it is that makes people like it. There are so many better games out there that this just gets lost at the bottom. Save your money and don't pick this up unless it is for REALLY cheap. Expand
  5. Apr 25, 2013
    I picked it up on a Steam sale, along with its sequel, looking for a good platform game. Graphically is just great for a platform game, cool sound, and cool characters, each one with his own specialties. Sadly, the games has many flaws that make's it really boring after just a couple of levels. First is the physic engine, which makes really hard to jump to small areas. The puzzle were justI picked it up on a Steam sale, along with its sequel, looking for a good platform game. Graphically is just great for a platform game, cool sound, and cool characters, each one with his own specialties. Sadly, the games has many flaws that make's it really boring after just a couple of levels. First is the physic engine, which makes really hard to jump to small areas. The puzzle were just to easy to deserve that name. And the levels feels repetitive almost immediately. There is no sens of progression. The story is average, but you will hardly see any connection with the gameplay. And the worst part, what will make you want to quite the game after less than 30 minutes of playing THE COMBATS!! First of all, the enemies are EXTREMELY REPETITIVE. Basically bats and different kind of skeletons (knights, archers, flame throwers, etc) and I can't describe how boring is to fight them... Avoiding them by jumping without being cut is really hard, and you will be in many situations were as soon as you kill a skeleton, a new one spawn. And fighting them is also terrible, the archer can't throw arrows in the air, and has no defense. Basically stay away and throw as many arrows as you can. The wizard only can crash skeletons by levitating stuffs, has no defense skill, and has no way to kill bats!!!. And finally the knight, the combative one, you basically stay cover with you shield, wait for the skeleton to hit you, and then just click many times until he is dead. Compare this with the old DOS prince of persia combat system, and this is just patetic.... So in the end, a boring, yet graphically beautiful platform game to soon be forget. Expand
  6. Nov 18, 2010
    Awesome game, it is so beautiful. I finished it but kept coming back and playing it again and again. It is exactly as another reviewer put it, I fell in love with Trine. I can´t wait for Trine 2!
  7. Aug 17, 2010
    What is Trine? Trine is a platform game. Trine is also in a sense a puzzle game. You should consider it a more problem-solving/logic Mario Brothers. You get 3 unique characters to control and you use their powers to progress through stages collecting powerups and defeating monsters while circumventing pitfalls and traps with your abilities. The great part about this is that there is aWhat is Trine? Trine is a platform game. Trine is also in a sense a puzzle game. You should consider it a more problem-solving/logic Mario Brothers. You get 3 unique characters to control and you use their powers to progress through stages collecting powerups and defeating monsters while circumventing pitfalls and traps with your abilities. The great part about this is that there is a physics engine giving the game gravity that effects just about everything.

This isn't simply box pushing and jumping from platform to platform, this is a box stacking, pendulum swinging, puzzle of motion that I've put many ours happily into. There is also a very strong artistic effort into the backgrounds and all the other details that just drip with emotion and beauty.
  8. Aug 24, 2010
    Basic platforming plus good physics engine = good fun but not particularly revolutionary or mind-blowing. I find this game enjoyable, and I know a game doesn't have to be full of new stuff for it to be fun, but really it doesn't capture my imagination. The story is pretty much traditional claptrap with very heavily stereotyped and simple characters, and the biggest challenge in laterBasic platforming plus good physics engine = good fun but not particularly revolutionary or mind-blowing. I find this game enjoyable, and I know a game doesn't have to be full of new stuff for it to be fun, but really it doesn't capture my imagination. The story is pretty much traditional claptrap with very heavily stereotyped and simple characters, and the biggest challenge in later levels is trying to platform while enemies repeatedly respawn in the same place, not very creative IMO. The physics does make for some slightly different puzzles from the usual, but it's nothing that hasn't been done before. Expand
  9. CBZ
    Jul 15, 2013
    One of those little gems that you will love. I got it on Steam summer sale for really cheap together with Trine 2 and so far (more than halfway through) its a fantastic game with amazing visuals and good game mechanics,
  10. Jul 19, 2011
    Kind of a cool concept 2D scrolling adventure, but the lack of an online coop mode means I likely won't play this game more than I would have liked to. Local coop only = fail.
  11. Jan 2, 2011
    Fairytale. The word that very well embodies the game as a whole. As you progress through the game, it feels like each level is a page in a bedtime story. Trine's highest points are it's amazingly well made narrative and the stunning visuals. Voice acting is top notch and the characters have very defined personalities, even the narrator feels like he's a part of it all.

The gameplay is

The gameplay is solid and the physics engine is fun to mess around with. Many of the levels are semi-linear, allowing for multiple ways to cross gaps and beat down enemies. However, Trine does have it's low points. The length of the game is rather short, I would say 5 - 7 hours for anyone with any sort of gaming knowledge. I don't really expect much more form an indie game but it certainly isn't your Red Dead Redemption. Another is that it lacks any satisfying boss battles or climax points.

Really though, at the end of the day, it's a nice platformer that I would recommend to anybody with a couple bucks to spare.
  12. Jul 15, 2011
    Its a fun game, I like to play co-op with my friends, but it can get boring pretty fast. The graphics and physics are really neat for a sidescroller, and everything seems to run pretty smoothly.
  13. Jan 14, 2011
    Trine is really a beautiful game and honestly the best platformer I've played in years. The atmosphere and art style make it incredible easy for you to dive into this mystic, yet colorful and lovely fantasy world (that, by the way, looks astonishing thanks to the modern engine) and the storytelling makes you feel like you're in a Grimm fairytale. The typical platforming elements combinedTrine is really a beautiful game and honestly the best platformer I've played in years. The atmosphere and art style make it incredible easy for you to dive into this mystic, yet colorful and lovely fantasy world (that, by the way, looks astonishing thanks to the modern engine) and the storytelling makes you feel like you're in a Grimm fairytale. The typical platforming elements combined with the physics puzzles and hack'n'slash moments make for an amazing experience. What might be a downpoint to some is actually one of the best arguments FOR the game: it's as entertaining as you make it. Uncreative players will soon find themselves using the same techniques for every obstacle and puzzle over and over again. If you let your fantasy do the work you can make it an incredibly entertaining experience though. The only downpoint is that the end feels rather aprupt (which is, according to the developers, due to deadlines). Overall it's simply fantastic and, at least to me, one of the best games of 2009 at all. Expand
  14. Jul 17, 2012
    Trine is a game that takes pride in it's work. From the story, to the graphics, to the level design every part of Trine shows care, polish, and pride. That is up to the end. There are no spoilers here, just know that the ending is very anti-climatic. The ending is what lead me to give Trine a 9 and not a 10. The path to the end, however, is very enjoyable and will keep you enthralled andTrine is a game that takes pride in it's work. From the story, to the graphics, to the level design every part of Trine shows care, polish, and pride. That is up to the end. There are no spoilers here, just know that the ending is very anti-climatic. The ending is what lead me to give Trine a 9 and not a 10. The path to the end, however, is very enjoyable and will keep you enthralled and frustrated at the same time. It took me 2 days or 12 hours to complete Trine and the whole time I just couldn't seem to force myself away from the PC. If you like puzzle platforming, then you will certainly love this game. Actually, if you just like games that require a bit of free thinking and puzzle solving then you will enjoy it. It can get frustrating at times, but remember: If at first you don't succeed, Trine, Trine again. Expand
  15. Jul 5, 2011
    Amazing platform/action/adventure game. The graphics are beautiful and the gameplay is both complex enough to be engaging but simple enough to master.
  16. Mar 15, 2011
    Graphics/Performance(10/10): The game has a three dimensional backdrop but it plays in 2 dimensions. Not bleeding edge graphics, but not too shabby either. Game runs like a dream.

Singleplayer(8/10): Good length, however most levels begin to feel very â
  17. Jul 9, 2011
    Trine is a very cool game from graphics to music, and with the classic fairy tale story it's a can't miss. Very gorgeous too look at and to sum up in one word the graphics are wonderful! Everything is put together so well and very pretty i might add. Music is great wonderful fantasy themed and is perfect for the atmosphere of the game. A downside is a not very long campaign, or very muchTrine is a very cool game from graphics to music, and with the classic fairy tale story it's a can't miss. Very gorgeous too look at and to sum up in one word the graphics are wonderful! Everything is put together so well and very pretty i might add. Music is great wonderful fantasy themed and is perfect for the atmosphere of the game. A downside is a not very long campaign, or very much variation. The puzzles are simple but yet there are at least 3 ways to solve each one depending on who is left alive in your party. If you can get this game for $10 or less, do it. Its a fun game that will give you around 5 hours of once-through game play :) Expand
  18. Sep 19, 2011
    A full 10/10! Not many games are worthy of full marks....this one is. Side scrollers seem to have all but dissapered, well not anymore. I have always been a fan of these types of games so maybe my score is a little bias but i love it. 3 different characters with different skills, all well balanced. Good mixture of combat and puzzle solving. A masterpiece!
  19. Jan 5, 2012
    Trine is a nice cool breeze in the gaming world were we're run over by violent games in general. Trine is a very nice looking game with a lot of fun features. It's a cheap game that continuously goes on sale on example Steam (where I bought it for 0,99â
  20. Apr 8, 2012
    At first glance Trine might seem like a simple side-scrolling adventure game, but there is actually a lot more to it than that. The game has a lot of charm to it. Although its story is not anything too special, the game's main strengths lie in its absolutely beautiful graphics, very magical music, and incredibly fun puzzles. You get to play as three characters, that is as all three in oneAt first glance Trine might seem like a simple side-scrolling adventure game, but there is actually a lot more to it than that. The game has a lot of charm to it. Although its story is not anything too special, the game's main strengths lie in its absolutely beautiful graphics, very magical music, and incredibly fun puzzles. You get to play as three characters, that is as all three in one go with the option to swap between them during the game as each one is useful for different situations. You have a Thief who wields a bow to destroy enemies from a distance and also has a grappling hook for climbing purposes. You have a Wizard who can levitate various objects and also to create new ones and to drop them on enemies. And you also have a Knight who is the most action-oriented of the three and is mostly for the moments when you're swarmed by groups of enemies and need to go melee style. As a result of being able to control any of the three characters at any time, the gameplay has a lot of spice and variety to it. It never gets repetitive. Although you do encounter a lot of enemies throughout, the game is also filled with a huge variety of different puzzles and obstacles which you need to overcome by using the skills your characters possess. A lot of the time there are even multiple ways to solve a certain puzzle. Like you could build a bridge with a Wizard character, or you might wish to instead use the Thief and her grappling hook to swing across. A single playthrough only lasts about 5 or so hours in total, but those 5 hours are really great as you get to enjoy the visual, auditory, and intellectual beauty of the game, not to mention that the replayability is good too, so you're likely to come back to the game a lot. Expand
  21. Aug 5, 2011
    Wonderful graphics and music quality, all along with an extremely smooth and varied gameplay.
    Sure, the game is relatively short, but it has an above average level of re-playability, since you can strive to get all the hidden bonuses and try to maximize your gameplay with one of the three characters available.
    Moreover the major point some reviews brought at release (a little expensive for the play time it offers) is now definitely moot, since you can easily find the game at a discounted price (and it means that it is now extremely cheap...).
    If you have any minor interest in platforming or fantasy or just generically nice-and-easy games, I cannot but recommend Trine...
  22. Jun 14, 2011
    Trine is a short and sweet physics platformer with great visuals and music. Controls are intuitive and it never gets overly difficult. It's definitely worth its $20 price tag.
  23. Sep 30, 2011
    great game, gorgeous graphics especially for a 2d platformer and some interesting puzzles. Its reasonably short though so don't go into this expecting more than a few decent hours worth of gameplay, the lack of an end boss or real end challenge was a bit of a disappointment but it is a great ride whilst it lasts.
  24. Jul 5, 2011
    Get this game!!!!

Get this game!!!!

I normally don't like or play "side scroll 3rd person games." But Steam had Trine on sale for only $1.99. I had to stop playing and come write this review I was so impressed! In fact, I've never played a game that was designed like this. An amazing narrator tells a story while you play, music really sets the mood and the challenges and obstacles are fun. It's a perfect recipe I had never imaged before. Everything is amazing about this game. The voice over, the music, the story and the graphics pull this game together. It's a breath of fresh air and a great change from all the other cookie cutter games out there.
    I feel bad now only paying $1.99 for it, and feel I should send the creators another $18 dollars. It's worth it!

Get it and play it! You will love it! I don't give great rating to ANYONE unless I feel they deserve it. Love this game!
  25. Jul 6, 2011
    This is the kind of game that is often overlooked in the sea of games but it's a real gem. My game library consists of every other type of game but this one and let me tell you..... I can't put it down now. It's very pleasing to the eyes and fun for the brain. I've got fast paced racing and ultra violent shooters .... but this game has gotten a good chunk of time since I got it lastThis is the kind of game that is often overlooked in the sea of games but it's a real gem. My game library consists of every other type of game but this one and let me tell you..... I can't put it down now. It's very pleasing to the eyes and fun for the brain. I've got fast paced racing and ultra violent shooters .... but this game has gotten a good chunk of time since I got it last month. It's like a sweet little escape into a pretty world with fun physics puzzles and a little old fashioned combat. Expand
  26. Jul 9, 2011
    The game looks fantastic, and plays pretty well. However, a few things hold it back. It's based entirely on physics. Balancing on things, tipping planks around and such, but sometimes these physics fail. One of the characters, the wizard, can levitate things, but sometimes whenever you try to levitate and object, and make it float, say, down, or left or right, it simply floats upward.The game looks fantastic, and plays pretty well. However, a few things hold it back. It's based entirely on physics. Balancing on things, tipping planks around and such, but sometimes these physics fail. One of the characters, the wizard, can levitate things, but sometimes whenever you try to levitate and object, and make it float, say, down, or left or right, it simply floats upward. Also, once an enemy starts their attack animation, even if you hit them first, or kill them before they swing their weapon, you still get hurt. This makes it incredibly hard to play without getting damaged.

But it's still a great game, and definitely worth the 2$ I payed for it on steam. Had I payed the full 20 it normally costs, I would still be happy with my purchase.
  27. Mar 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The premise of this game is similar to that of SNES game The Lost Vikings. You switch between three distinct characters and use their unique abilities to navigate through puzzle-filled action-platformer levels. Trine really kicks it up a notch though, with realistic physics interaction and gorgeous, fluid visuals. Although your character only moves along the 2D plane, there's a lot of stuff going on in the background. Huge blades will swing from the background, past your player and into the foreground, before slicing back again. It's a really special touch that is testimony to the level of visual detail in Trine. There's a huge amount of colour in the environments, which are extremely distinct from one another but all look beautiful. Characters move well for the most part, which is handy seeing as most of the puzzles involve jumping around on tiny platforms. Trine includes some light RPG elements; you can collect experience that allows you to upgrade your abilities when you level up. You can also find lots of unique items throughout the game, some of which are tailored for certain characters. Speaking of the characters; you'll definitely be using all of them. All three characters can solve most of the puzzles in the game, but you'll quickly learn which to use in certain situations. Because you shift between the three characters/classes so often, the RPG elements really come into play, and you'll want to spread out your items fairly evenly. Combat is fun, if a little repetitive, with enemies such as sword, bow and fire-wielding skeletons, ferocious ogres and smaller creatures like bats and spiders. Obviously the knight is the best character in close quarter combat situations, with his strong sword and hammer attacks and the ability to block.
    The dialogue is pretty funny at times, especially thanks to the great voice acting. It makes you care for the characters a little more than if they had generic, similar voices. All in all Trine is a great game, taking about seven hours to finish and with a stack of replay value. Pick it up on Steam for $15 and you won't have many regrets.
  28. Jul 18, 2011
    Great graphics. Puzzles that will make you think twice before trying them out. Straightforward game play for beginners and advanced players. For those who are looking to overcome challenges and solve puzzles with a drop of combat and adventure, this is a game that is worth your time.
  29. Jul 26, 2011
    An excellent platformer, looks beautiful, and a lot of fun. Local co-op available (if you have a spare XBOX 360 controller) Buy it now, it's definitely worth it.
  30. Aug 21, 2011
    Really innovative, beautiful, and hearty game to play! I was hooked on it until the end - which in my opinion came a little too fast (not that the game is short, but it is not long either: was done in 7-9 hours). The gameplay is really addictive; the thought-through puzzles, physx engine, and pretty colors make this an awesome sidescroller :)

1. Trine is simply an unpretentious and effortlessly lovely adventure, if never quite special enough to nudge into the echelons of 9/10 and above. Immediately likeable, hugely enjoyable and brimming with charming detail every step of the way, your enjoyment may depend on how many friends you can share the journey with, but few would regret time spent in the company of this trio.
  2. Trine isn't as new and exciting as current 2D platforming king Braid was on its release, but its combination of tight controls, exiting action and physics-based puzzles makes it easy to recommend to platforming fans. It's a shame the multiplayer isn't more interesting, but when played alone it shouldn't be hard to get many hours of fun out of Frozenbyte's impressive looking title.
  3. A charming and excellently executed platform game. [Issue#22, p.57]