Trine PC

8.2

1. Dec 30, 2011
    Fantastic visuals. Someone cared deeply about the art. The voice acting is great, the game play is very fun. Don't hesitate to get this or it's sequel.
  2. Sep 14, 2012
    The graphics are really great with very beautiful colors and effects. Story is mediocre but that doesnt affect the game overall. The puzzles are very clever and can be solved with every character you got, either thief, wizard and knigth. A bit small on gameplay length, featuring 15 levels and a secret one after you finish the game.

The intro before every level is very good and the

The intro before every level is very good and the narrator puts you in the story pretty well.

The music is just epic, one of my favourite scores in gaming.
  3. TJW
    Dec 11, 2009
    This game is quite amazing. The 2d game play is fantastic, the story is humorous and yet has some depth to it, the art in this game is totally FANTASTIC, and all 3 characters are pretty useful. However, there are a few things I dislike about it. One is that the music tends to be a little repetitive. It isn't bad, but it's noticeable. Also another 'problem' is the This game is quite amazing. The 2d game play is fantastic, the story is humorous and yet has some depth to it, the art in this game is totally FANTASTIC, and all 3 characters are pretty useful. However, there are a few things I dislike about it. One is that the music tends to be a little repetitive. It isn't bad, but it's noticeable. Also another 'problem' is the platforming. It isn't 'bad', but it's a little loose, perhaps a bit too easy? There is some challenge in the game, but it really isn't that difficult. I only played through the medium game, so I might be wrong and it would be more difficult in later levels. It's hard to tell. Anyways, the amazing aspects of the game far outweigh any problems with the game, and I think it is well worth the cost. Expand
  4. BobDS
    Jul 29, 2009
    Trine is a fun game, although I believe that it might have been a bit overpriced. Its gameplay is pretty good and I didn't even notice the issues Koos King is complaining about. The animation is very good and a lot of the action has a tangible quality to it. I never had any problem with precision jumping. In fact, Zoya the thief is very capable at jumping from one tiny ledge to Trine is a fun game, although I believe that it might have been a bit overpriced. Its gameplay is pretty good and I didn't even notice the issues Koos King is complaining about. The animation is very good and a lot of the action has a tangible quality to it. I never had any problem with precision jumping. In fact, Zoya the thief is very capable at jumping from one tiny ledge to another. I've almost never been smacked around by heavy boxes, and the few times it happened it was actually quite hilarious and completely my own plan backfiring on me. It's true that the game is a bit of a one trick pony, though. This isn't Braid, but the game still manages to be very fun, especially in coop mode. (You'll need to go to the controller configuration to assign multiple gamepads.) The levels are gorgeous, although the voice acting ranges from mediocre to bad. In response to Koos King again, the resolutions the game offers are plenty. Expand
  5. AndyK
    Sep 3, 2009
    Awesome game! Amazing graphics and sound create a unique atmosphere! The gameplay is very easy to get into, the puzzles are relatively simple but the ability to solve them in multiple ways is excellent! On the other hand, I would have preferred more variety in the enemies and more abilities for the wizard, who is underused. Overall, I would say I used thief 65%, warrior 30% and wizard Awesome game! Amazing graphics and sound create a unique atmosphere! The gameplay is very easy to get into, the puzzles are relatively simple but the ability to solve them in multiple ways is excellent! On the other hand, I would have preferred more variety in the enemies and more abilities for the wizard, who is underused. Overall, I would say I used thief 65%, warrior 30% and wizard 5%...in conclusion, it's just an extremely fun game, and isn't that the point? :D Expand
  6. SeanG.
    Jul 11, 2009
    Trine is an instantly accessible joy of a game. Anyone who earned their wings playing through platformers in the nineties will feel instantly at home. The basic gameplay mechanics are rock solid. You progress through a traditional fairy-tale land thinking and jumping through physics laden levels choosing between a knight, wizard and thief to overcome obstacles. The character animations Trine is an instantly accessible joy of a game. Anyone who earned their wings playing through platformers in the nineties will feel instantly at home. The basic gameplay mechanics are rock solid. You progress through a traditional fairy-tale land thinking and jumping through physics laden levels choosing between a knight, wizard and thief to overcome obstacles. The character animations feel fluid, natural and appropriate to the character model whilst the level designs offer enough of a challenge for the game to roll on without making you feeling patronised or frustrated. You'll find yourself employing each of the three characters individual skills throughout each level but it's the Thief character that shines the brightest. The archery system is satisfying and intuitive. The in game graphics are wonderfully over the top; reminiscent of the first d3d games where colour and lighting were splashed around with gusto as the designers played with the nascent lighting tech. The consistency of the quality in the graphics is outstanding reflecting a sense the designers real enjoyed colouring each pixel. The game engine offers reasonable scalability (no doubt held back by the strain the physics processing lays down on the CPU) meaning even most laptop gamers will be able to enjoy Trine's charm albeit on a very low res. Disappointments are few but most notably the enemy AI could do with a re visit as they hone on your character often to their destruction by one of the numerous physics based environmental traps. Xbox controllers are fully supported but the game doesn't seem to save your preference for it, requiring a trip to the options screen at every start and I haven't decided whether the ropey cut-scenes and the shocking load screen add or detract from the overall charm of the experience. All in all one of the best simplest and most enjoyable games I've ever played. Thoroughly recommendable. Expand
  7. EricO
    Aug 7, 2009
    Even if on PC, it steps up to a platforming style that hasn't got my attention since the Rockman games...well, at least how they USED to be. Trine possesses amazing graphical detail and extremely fun game play. Working with that, it also has a nice chunk of puzzles or situational moments that make you actually think, which yeah, I don't want to think all the time when I'm Even if on PC, it steps up to a platforming style that hasn't got my attention since the Rockman games...well, at least how they USED to be. Trine possesses amazing graphical detail and extremely fun game play. Working with that, it also has a nice chunk of puzzles or situational moments that make you actually think, which yeah, I don't want to think all the time when I'm blowing crap up but I like to work the ole noodle every now and again. Although it seemed short the different modes of play test your different skill levels and with steam you get the achievements which usually keep you occupied tying to get them all and keeping the point of playing the game open. I know I'm being rather lenient with my score because I really enjoyed the game, the look, the puzzles and the different characters , the game just seems short enough to not score more than an 8 with me. I wish there would have been just ever so slightly more things to do but, I hope there are more games that take this approach in the future. Expand
  8. KaarleW
    Jan 3, 2010
    It's like entering a fairytale. I am in love with the game.
  9. StefanA
    Jan 2, 2010
    Wish there was more of these games. Absolutely fabulous. The levels feel very polished and stunning to look at. But the wizard needs more Oomph. A better way of using his skills offensively. Buy it now. ;)
  10. BenS
    Dec 8, 2009
    Terrific game. Graphics and music are top notch. The story line was a bit basic but satisfactory. The narration adds to the whole experience. Navigation and controls are simple. I'd like to see a sequel.
  11. MattW.
    Aug 6, 2009
    This is an amazing game. Basing a platformer off of physics is a great way to make it fun, when done right. These guys did it right. The graphics are spectacular, the story is interesting enough that it draws your attention, and the voice acting is pretty entertaining. This is the best platformer I've played in years.
  12. ErichS
    Dec 3, 2009
    Gorgeous visuals and highly addictive gameplay. It's been a long time since a game grabbed my attention like this one did. And I'm a wargame/flight sim type! Buy it - you will *not* regret it.
  13. PhilP
    Jul 4, 2009
    Excellent game - fun and smooth with good action and fun physics. Beautiful graphics and atmosphere to it. Could be a little longer, but I very much enjoyed this game.
  14. DanE
    Jul 5, 2009
    One of the most visually impressive titles I have seen in a long time. The art direction, lighting, and attention to detail are down right amazing. The gameplay is inventive, fun, and charming. Games of this caliber and care dont come along that often, definitely add this to your purchase list.
  15. jorgen
    Jul 6, 2009
    A brilliant platformer! The 3D backgrounds and dynamic lighting effects are breathtaking. Screens and even movies don't do them justice. You'll want to risk exploring every bit just to not miss out on some beautiful hidden place (and don't be afraid of the water!). It plays a lot like those good old Castlevania games, but with some cool twists thrown in. Instant switching A brilliant platformer! The 3D backgrounds and dynamic lighting effects are breathtaking. Screens and even movies don't do them justice. You'll want to risk exploring every bit just to not miss out on some beautiful hidden place (and don't be afraid of the water!). It plays a lot like those good old Castlevania games, but with some cool twists thrown in. Instant switching between characters sounds confusing, but it becomes second nature almost immediately, and adds fantastic creativity to the puzzle solving. There's even some RPG elements with upgrades and inventory. What a breath of fresh air for PC gaming. Expand
  16. RogerI
    Jul 9, 2009
    Probably the most charming and endearing game this year. A genuine joy to play. It is a tad on the short side though and you'll either love or hate the final level, but if you enjoy hunting out secrets and collecting achievements, then you'll definitely get your ££ worth.
  17. lugduweb
    Oct 7, 2009
    Very addictive game. Awesome graphics, smart physics usage with three complementary characters. I love this game !
  18. RyanD
    Jul 3, 2009
    Immediately charming, visually stunning, and appealing to people of all ages and audiences, Trine really blew me away at the start. I loved doing every single puzzle in a different way each time I faced it, and had an amazing experience doing so. Combat was a very fun and well-executed addition to the game and I found myself loving the dynamic contrast between the three characters for all Immediately charming, visually stunning, and appealing to people of all ages and audiences, Trine really blew me away at the start. I loved doing every single puzzle in a different way each time I faced it, and had an amazing experience doing so. Combat was a very fun and well-executed addition to the game and I found myself loving the dynamic contrast between the three characters for all sorts of tasks. My only regret about the game is that I felt it was extremely short. I was really hoping I'd be able to get an extra few hours out of it. I beat it the day I got it, which disappointed me a little bit. However, Frozenbyte is definitely on the right track. No doubt I'd recommend trying the demo out (can't hurt, always a good idea), but just be wary, for $30, it may make your pocket a little lighter than you'd like it to be. Expand
  19. JohnB
    Jul 6, 2009
    A truly delightful platformer was clearly a labour of love for the developers Frozenbyte. Every level is mastercrafted and beautiful, with a simple, fairytale plot, backed up by outstanding narration and voice-acting. The physics-based puzzles are extremely enjoyable, as is the simple but none the less hectic combat. While it only currently has local co-op, it is innovative enough to A truly delightful platformer was clearly a labour of love for the developers Frozenbyte. Every level is mastercrafted and beautiful, with a simple, fairytale plot, backed up by outstanding narration and voice-acting. The physics-based puzzles are extremely enjoyable, as is the simple but none the less hectic combat. While it only currently has local co-op, it is innovative enough to warrant a playthrough with your friends. Coming from someone who usually hates platformers, you'd have to possess a heart of stone not to enjoy this title. Nowhere near as pretentious or mind-bending as Braid, and I'm thankful for it. Expand
  20. MikeVW
    Jul 12, 2009
    Only thing keeping this from being a 10 is the overall length of the game. A couple of hours and you're through the graphically beautiful and physics blessed world. Turning around and re-capping is a must, because there is always something you missed. The only thing the devs missed on this title = lengthen the game.
  21. RyanB
    Jul 24, 2009
    I really enjoy this game, lots of action nice puzzles. But I gave it an 8 because of the repetition later in the game. At the start puzzles are challenging because your limited by the amount of things you can do. Namely the Wizards boxes and later planks. At the start you get a few but later you have so many plus some more spells that make spells much too easy. You don't really need I really enjoy this game, lots of action nice puzzles. But I gave it an 8 because of the repetition later in the game. At the start puzzles are challenging because your limited by the amount of things you can do. Namely the Wizards boxes and later planks. At the start you get a few but later you have so many plus some more spells that make spells much too easy. You don't really need to think anymore just place boxes and you can get anywhere. Aside from that the game turns out really well with a nice slick story and an absolute perfect ending. The last level is incredible, very memorable. Expand
  22. GabrielR
    Jul 7, 2009
    I was quite surprised with this game! The mechanics are simple but it's so much fun to advance through the beautifully crafted levels. The puzzles aren't that challenging but they do their job never making the game feel clogged. Graphically, the game is very competent but the art is what really stand out in this one, they are beautiful. Trine is not very long, 15 levels, but if I was quite surprised with this game! The mechanics are simple but it's so much fun to advance through the beautifully crafted levels. The puzzles aren't that challenging but they do their job never making the game feel clogged. Graphically, the game is very competent but the art is what really stand out in this one, they are beautiful. Trine is not very long, 15 levels, but if you care to get all the treasure and experience it should be about 9 hours to beat one time. Expand
  23. DanO
    Jul 23, 2009
    Light on plot and could be a little bit longer, but i'm playing it for the 2nd time and still loving it! I'm constantly finding new ways to solve problems in different ways, though none are too hard for me to get past .. unlike games like Tomb Raider or World of Goo, etc.

Probably the best platform game i've ever played.
  24. Nov 18, 2010
    Awesome game, it is so beautiful. I finished it but kept coming back and playing it again and again. It is exactly as another reviewer put it, I fell in love with Trine. I can´t wait for Trine 2!
  25. Aug 17, 2010
    What is Trine? Trine is a platform game. Trine is also in a sense a puzzle game. You should consider it a more problem-solving/logic Mario Brothers. You get 3 unique characters to control and you use their powers to progress through stages collecting powerups and defeating monsters while circumventing pitfalls and traps with your abilities. The great part about this is that there is aWhat is Trine? Trine is a platform game. Trine is also in a sense a puzzle game. You should consider it a more problem-solving/logic Mario Brothers. You get 3 unique characters to control and you use their powers to progress through stages collecting powerups and defeating monsters while circumventing pitfalls and traps with your abilities. The great part about this is that there is a physics engine giving the game gravity that effects just about everything.

This isn't simply box pushing and jumping from platform to platform, this is a box stacking, pendulum swinging, puzzle of motion that I've put many ours happily into. There is also a very strong artistic effort into the backgrounds and all the other details that just drip with emotion and beauty.
  26. Jan 2, 2011
    Fairytale. The word that very well embodies the game as a whole. As you progress through the game, it feels like each level is a page in a bedtime story. Trine's highest points are it's amazingly well made narrative and the stunning visuals. Voice acting is top notch and the characters have very defined personalities, even the narrator feels like he's a part of it all.

The gameplay is

The gameplay is solid and the physics engine is fun to mess around with. Many of the levels are semi-linear, allowing for multiple ways to cross gaps and beat down enemies. However, Trine does have it's low points. The length of the game is rather short, I would say 5 - 7 hours for anyone with any sort of gaming knowledge. I don't really expect much more form an indie game but it certainly isn't your Red Dead Redemption. Another is that it lacks any satisfying boss battles or climax points.

Really though, at the end of the day, it's a nice platformer that I would recommend to anybody with a couple bucks to spare.
  27. Jan 14, 2011
    Trine is really a beautiful game and honestly the best platformer I've played in years. The atmosphere and art style make it incredible easy for you to dive into this mystic, yet colorful and lovely fantasy world (that, by the way, looks astonishing thanks to the modern engine) and the storytelling makes you feel like you're in a Grimm fairytale. The typical platforming elements combinedTrine is really a beautiful game and honestly the best platformer I've played in years. The atmosphere and art style make it incredible easy for you to dive into this mystic, yet colorful and lovely fantasy world (that, by the way, looks astonishing thanks to the modern engine) and the storytelling makes you feel like you're in a Grimm fairytale. The typical platforming elements combined with the physics puzzles and hack'n'slash moments make for an amazing experience. What might be a downpoint to some is actually one of the best arguments FOR the game: it's as entertaining as you make it. Uncreative players will soon find themselves using the same techniques for every obstacle and puzzle over and over again. If you let your fantasy do the work you can make it an incredibly entertaining experience though. The only downpoint is that the end feels rather aprupt (which is, according to the developers, due to deadlines). Overall it's simply fantastic and, at least to me, one of the best games of 2009 at all. Expand
  28. Jul 5, 2011
    Amazing platform/action/adventure game. The graphics are beautiful and the gameplay is both complex enough to be engaging but simple enough to master.
  29. Mar 15, 2011
    Graphics/Performance(10/10): The game has a three dimensional backdrop but it plays in 2 dimensions. Not bleeding edge graphics, but not too shabby either. Game runs like a dream.

Singleplayer(8/10): Good length, however most levels begin to feel very â
  30. Sep 19, 2011
    A full 10/10! Not many games are worthy of full marks....this one is. Side scrollers seem to have all but dissapered, well not anymore. I have always been a fan of these types of games so maybe my score is a little bias but i love it. 3 different characters with different skills, all well balanced. Good mixture of combat and puzzle solving. A masterpiece!
  31. May 3, 2012
    I absolutely loved this game. The game is very fun, not too long, not too short. The 2D gameplay is great and reminds me of Castlevania 3 with its varied characters each with their own unique strengths. In Trine the characters are well balanced, the wizard almost being an exception since his only offense is to drop a box or plank on enemies and you can't move while you're summoning, butI absolutely loved this game. The game is very fun, not too long, not too short. The 2D gameplay is great and reminds me of Castlevania 3 with its varied characters each with their own unique strengths. In Trine the characters are well balanced, the wizard almost being an exception since his only offense is to drop a box or plank on enemies and you can't move while you're summoning, but this vulnerability makes it interesting, especially if he's the only character left alive. The music is absolutely beautiful and perfectly suited to the game and just for listening in general. I completed all achievements and was still left wanting more. Collapse

1. Trine is simply an unpretentious and effortlessly lovely adventure, if never quite special enough to nudge into the echelons of 9/10 and above. Immediately likeable, hugely enjoyable and brimming with charming detail every step of the way, your enjoyment may depend on how many friends you can share the journey with, but few would regret time spent in the company of this trio.
  2. Trine isn't as new and exciting as current 2D platforming king Braid was on its release, but its combination of tight controls, exiting action and physics-based puzzles makes it easy to recommend to platforming fans. It's a shame the multiplayer isn't more interesting, but when played alone it shouldn't be hard to get many hours of fun out of Frozenbyte's impressive looking title.
  3. Total PC Gaming